Speaker 1: This is remember when with Harvey Digan on Perth sixty R.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you, Carole, and Peter Taylor joins us now and he, of course is our classic music man. And oh boy, as we say, very good evening to you. Peter, I reckon you've jumped to the top of the pile with this one that you've picked tonight.
Speaker 3: Well, good evening, have you look. It's been my pleasure. It's just really deciding on what was going to be a great film to be discussing tonight. And I thought, well, there is a film that's celebrating it sixty years now. And I know it's hard to believe it is sixty years but I thought, well, let's discuss the Sound of Music nineteen sixty five.
Speaker 2: Wonderful, wonderful. Well, I don't think there'd be one person out there that hasn't seen the Sound of Music of any age. And it's hard to believe it is, as you say, sixty years old, but that's that's when it appeared, and that was starring, of course, the wonderful Julianne and Christopher Plumber. Would you like to have a listen to it textually, really rather lengthy trailer as trailers go, but it really does sum up the whole movie, in my opinion, gives us a little inkling of the songs that are in the movie, and there are some absolutely memorable songs. So let's have a listen to that pig.
Speaker 4: Than live with the sound of Musy with songs they have sound for a thousand years.
Speaker 3: As I sound your signals, you will step one and give your names.
Speaker 2: You will listen carefully learn that signals so you can call.
Speaker 1: Them when you want them.
Speaker 5: The celebrated play that delights in the world, actually photographed amidst the wondrous beauties of Salzburg, Austria, with the performance of a lifetime by the screen's brightest star Julie Andrews, and the glorious role of Maria.
Speaker 4: How do you solve a problem night, Marie? How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?
Speaker 5: How do you find a word that means?
Speaker 4: Maria of limited in Tomia away a clown?
Speaker 3: Maria makes me laugh.
Speaker 5: Maria who wettered the strange new world of Captain Vontrap and captivated his seven children with a magical spell of song. The girls in white dresses with glue, satin sashes, snow breaks, but stay on my nose and eye lashes, sylver white winters that melt into springs.
Speaker 4: These are a few of my favorite things.
Speaker 1: The dopy.
Speaker 3: Priline.
Speaker 5: Did I not tell you that bedtime is strictly to be observed in this house?
Speaker 3: You did, sir?
Speaker 2: And do you or do you not have difficulty remembering such simple instructions only during sunderstorm?
Speaker 5: Sir? Here two new numbers especially written for the picture by Richard Rogers plus Rogers and Hammerstein's Immortal songe A.
Speaker 4: Deer, a female deer, ray, a drop of golden sun. Me a name I call myself.
Speaker 5: Far, long, long way to run by.
Speaker 3: Sixteen going on seventeen.
Speaker 2: I know that I'm nine.
Speaker 4: Oh please, Captain, love them.
Speaker 3: Love them all.
Speaker 5: I don't care to hear anything bout that from here on my shoulders.
Speaker 3: Oh yes you are.
Speaker 2: You will pack your things this minute and return to the abbey.
Speaker 1: Captainland Chap Are you in love with him?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know what the baroness said I was. She said that he was in love with me, but I didn't want to believe it.
Speaker 3: You're far away?
Speaker 2: Where are you in the world that's disappearing?
Speaker 5: Right, anyway I can bring you back to the world I'm in.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 5: So somewhere in my youth, sore child, I must have done so. See, here is the perfect motion picture that touches every note in the whole scale of human emotion.
Speaker 2: Well it says it all, doesn't informt Wow, I was right, amazing stuff.
Speaker 3: Oh look, it was such an incredible movie. And I think, as you said before, Harvey, I think probably everybody in the entire world has probably seen it now over the past sixty years. I think because of been played on you know, when it came out on video, when it came out on television. I think people have seening it over and over in the years, and so many songs that they played their do ray me, you know, Climb every Mountain, so many songs that people hear it straight away and they don't even need to guess. It's the sound of music. And I think that's been the wonderful thing about it. The whole film and the production of it incredible and yet so interesting that so many people didn't want to do the movie. You know, everyone looked at the script of these directors and actors and sure for me, thanks mate, I don't really care much for it, And even Christopher Plumber, who played the actual role, he always referred to it as the sound of Mucus because he thought it was just just so sugar And he didn't even want to work with Julie Andrews. She thought, no, she's just too Disney for me, because he was very much character actor back in the sixties. But ironically he and Julian Andrews became very very good friends as the years progressed, and up until his death they became very very close friends. But it was just fascinating the fact that you look upon this film now, which between nineteen sixty five and nineteen seventy was the highest grossing film in the world for five years. Nothing took over it. It was the biggest musical up until Green until nineteen seventy eight. But if you sort of compare the dollars that they paid back in sixty five to seventy eight, it would have earned more money than what Greece did. So a huge, huge musical and certainly one of the greatest ones, and so great to be celebrating sixty years as well.
Speaker 2: Indeed, and to an extra layer of greatness for this movie is that. Of course, it was based on a very true story.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely yeah. The Maria ron Trapp was actually based on her shorts memoir that she did called the Story of the Von Trapp Family Singers. Now she did that about nineteen forty nine, I think when that actually originally came out. But there is the interesting thing too, I mean, that's the story about them, how they were singers, they were involved in Austria and right in the midst of the Antlaus which of course was the connecting of Germany and Austria back in the late nineteen thirties. We basically Hitler basically saying, look, it's my plan to take over Austria. So you guys are all going to be flying the flag for the Nazi flag. You can put all those Ostrian flags down. So with this, she obviously was a nun that a very disruptive nun too, by the way. She bit bossy in a bit disruptive, and she was then sent over to the von Trapps to actually look after the captain's oldest daughter, whose name actually was Maria as well, but obviously for the film they changed all the names to Lisel and everybody else in the particular film, but very interestingly because when you look at the study of the movie itself against the actual real events that took place, so you can say it's based on it. It was very interesting that the captain von Trapp was actually a very mild, very pleasant young man, but Maria was a very bossy sort of loud quite different to the actual movie. But no wonder she got kicked out of the comment. Very very interesting, but yeah, I look, what a sensational movie to have with her. But you know, there were some really interesting little notes in this particular film. A lot of people mightn't have known with it. But are you familiar with the name Marnie.
Speaker 2: Nixon, Marni Nixon, No, I'm not.
Speaker 3: Marnie Nixon did all the voiceovers for so many films. She did the voiceover for Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady, for Deborah Krr in The King and I, and for Natalie Wood in West Side Story. So she did all the singing voices. And in this particular movie she had a role. She was actually played one of the nuns in this Now it's very interesting because if you look back on this particular movie, the fact that when she did the voice for My Fair Lady. That role was originally meant to be for Julie Andrews. But of course then when when it was done by Augiy Hip and then then sung by Marty Nixon, you can imagine the fact that then she's going to meet her on the set of Sound of Music and go, oh, this could be quite awkward, couldn't it. But no, they became very good friends as well. But she had a beautiful voice with it as well. It's yeah, nice tonight. Good to see Martey Nixon actually in real life rather than just hearing a voice as well. So it was good. But this this is a big film too, by the way, Harvey, this film was nominated for ten Academy Awards, so this is a massive and one five including Best Picture and Best Director.
Speaker 2: And she lost out, didn't she? Julie to another Julie for the Oscar for Best Actress?
Speaker 3: Yeah, she did in Darling. She won the Best Film for that. But I've been saying that though it was very interesting Julie Andrews got nominated for Best Actress, but she won it the year before for or Mary Poppins. Now interesting to note with this, when they were making the Sound of Music Mary Poppins hadn't come out yet, so of course nobody was really aware of the stage presence that Julie Andrews actually had. In fact, even Robert Wise, who actually directed the film, he had seen her on stage and thought she's really good on stage, but I don't really know about her work ethic in film. And it wasn't until Walt Disney showed him footage from her role in Mary Poppins he went, could be on a winner here. So yeah, So that's the reason why he really confirmed the decision to have Julie Andrews play in that particular role. And so funny too because during the rehearsals and when they were doing the Sound of Music, during the breaks and times, she would actually sing to the children super color fragulistics, expialidocios, and they thought there was just a made up song that she was doing for them, but of course she just finished doing Mary Poppin so sing it to the kids.
Speaker 2: What a great lady, Oh I've what a wonderful lady. Yeah yeah, yeah, and great actress and an amazing voice that she had until unfortunately that got the better off her, as we know in her later life. We'll take a break. There's plenty more to talk about with the Sound of Music.
Speaker 1: Pete back on Perth six PR. This is remember when with Harvey Degan and.
Speaker 2: Peter Taylor, our movie guru is analyzing one of the great movies of all time without any question at all, Sound of Music. And I was just looking through the cast and all that sort of thing, Peter and I noticed that the music for Sound of Music credited with that is Richard Rodgers. And of course we all know about the Yeah, the combination of Rogers and Hammerstein. Yeah, but by the time the movie had come around, I think they collaborated in the stage production, did they not correct? Yes, And then by the time the movie had come around, sadly, Oscar Hammerstein had had passed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's correct. He was very very ill. But just before he did pass though, obviously during the stage production the film at Avice was one of the songs that he had actually written for the movie as well, which of course is such a beautiful again, one of the classic songs that people hear that song and they automatically referred to as sounded music. But they were a gifted lot on those two I mean Oklahoma and you feel, gosh, you think of the big films back in the forties and fifties, and both Rogers and Hammerstein they were just phenomenal writers of the music without as well. But I think, you know, it's again when we look at the film like this in sixty five, because obviously there was nothing further after this that they did. But that's the reason why now it seems hard that musicals can do this, because there was so much depth to the music that they brought into that as well. And you know, I'm pretty sure twentieth century Fox were happy about it as well, because they just but went broke two years beforehand when they were made the film called Cleopatra with Taylor and Richard Burton. We thanked Rogers Damerstein for coming across sound of music. I'm sure that's save their budgets. So very interesting. It was very very interesting. One other important thing too with it, Harvey, a lot of people were the critics criticized the sound of music too because they kept making references saying, are you're just doing a remake of The King and I, which of course was with Jil Brenner and Jebra Khr with a like a person coming in to help as it was the King as I am at the time, and with his children. They said, there's such an incredible sort of resemblance to it. But as far as I'm concerned, there was no comparison or King and I didn't win Best Picture, but Sounded Music did so as percent. Sound of music was definitely the pick.
Speaker 2: The other thing too, when you do think about it and go through the nominations for Academy Awards, and as you say, there was a raft of them nominations for the movie, and quite a few that they actually won. A lot of the winning Oscars went for technical reasons. In other words, they won the Oscar for Best Sound, they won the Oscar for Best Scoring of music. And you know, as far as attension to detailers concerned, best Film editing, I mean talk about they must have got together the absolute cream of all the various experts in the various fields of movies, all under the one roof, as it were, for the one movie.
Speaker 3: Oh, without question, I think that was the thing with it. By the time they got the right people in to do the movie, I think they had chosen very well. I mean, originally they you know, Alana Parker played the role of the baroness. But they originally had they expected someone like Grace Kelly do the role. I mean, Grace Kelly would have been a beautiful baroness to but she'd sort of by sixty five she said, now I'm done with acting, thanks very much. It's not my cup of tea anymore. But even you know, some of the children involved with I mean people like Richard Drayfuss, Kurt Russell, the Osmond brothers, they were all picked as they auditioned for the role the boys in the movie as well. So look, there was a huge amount of people that were just getting involved with it. But then you look at who they've chosen and you think it was a beautiful, beautiful choice of actors actresses. The voices were fantastic throughout it. I know some of them were semi dubbed or whatever else, Christopher Plummers and whatever else. But still the whole way that the film was edited through, it was just a beautiful story of this family in the turmoil in Austria, but basically through singing, got their escape and basically left Nazi Germany, and so they didn't have to deal with that in the years to come. So von Trapp herself was very good in doing that, although it was so sad the fact that she wasn't actually invited to the premiere of the Sound of Music. I think because of her issues that she had with Robert wise, being a bit bullying on set with him. He sort of sort of banned it from a set after a while, saying okay, because they kept saying, but you know, because my dad's not like that, can you change his character? And they said no, no, we need to have that character in such a way that when Marina comes into his life, that's what changes his life. And that's what you do with movies. You know, you can base it on something, but it's not word for word exactly what happened with the Von Trapps, and certainly with Sound of Music it wasn't, but it's certainly it was a rendition of that, and I think because of that people loved it. I still think it's one of my most favorite movies of all time. I love the film. I don't know. I must have said it fifteen twenty times in our pasty iddyears, and I've seen it with my children and I've said it with my grandchildren. So yeah, I love the sound of music.
Speaker 2: Well, I think most other people do, most thinking people, that is for sure. It's interesting that we're just a bit out of time, mate, But you've gone through this movie beautifully for us. Coming up after the next break. Speaking of sixtieth anniversaries, Channel nine is celebrating it's sixty year anniversary this coming Thursday, and so that's coincidental. You know that the movie sixty years old. And I'm not sure if you would have remembered back in those days, mate, when Channel nine Perth first went to air.
Speaker 3: Well, I do. I remember the Channel Niners Club that was sort of started in the sort of early seventies and late sixties, and I was actually a member of that. They used to invite children to the set and that have all different sort of magicians and its and peoples, and they had a little thing called the Happy Smilers Club. And I actually won the Happy Smilers. I was given a whole pile of toys like Test Cricket Tests. I don't remember that game Test Cricket.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I love you Get.
Speaker 3: With the Wood. I loved it, so yes, congratulations Channel nine and sixty year out of firsty do you remember it very well?
Speaker 2: Oh? That's fantastic. Well, we'll be speaking to Steve Marshall, nine perths Broadcast Operations Manager, Peter. Your immediate tasks, should you choose to accept it, borrowing that from Mission Impossible is to find something equal or better than sound of music. Good luck with that mate, for next time, give.
Speaker 3: You my pleasure, Harvey, love you having a chat.
Speaker 2: Take care mate.
Speaker 3: Thank you,