Speaker 1: Kevin Trask's Time Tunnel beat the price rise with the Blind Factory. Call one three blinds Now for expert advice, unbeatable deals and a lifetime guarantee.
Speaker 2: It's time to go back and remember the people, events and music to the soundtrack of our lives with Trasks Time Titel.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is time for the time tunnel on th early on. Remember when the Sunday Night with Kevin orts pivotal year for me? I see too, We're about to enter the year that I come to prim allergers, and I'll leave it at that. I think.
Speaker 4: Didn't lead to chargers or.
Speaker 3: No, no, thank you, none of your sort of showber's muckiness. No no, I just gave myself to the limbo in that particular year, and I found myself down at the Elwood Beach doing limbo competition anyway, Kevin nineteen sixty three, what's the matter?
Speaker 4: I can't pull?
Speaker 5: I tried to do the limbo. The limbo snick finally breake me back.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, I was something of a master of limbo.
Speaker 4: You must have been very fit.
Speaker 3: The crime, incredibly supple.
Speaker 4: He was so good. I've seen pictures. He was so good. The only thing that stopped him being the world champion was the fact that his male Yeah.
Speaker 5: We just sort of the bar said really, okay, nineteen sixty three, Oh, you're going to crime right there brought back.
Speaker 4: Oh would love to have seen that.
Speaker 3: It's a bittersweet, buddy, It's bitter sweet.
Speaker 4: Look, do you want me to get a stick.
Speaker 5: Out and see if you's no, we're going to do the time tunnel. Well, it's sixty two years ago, nineteen sixty three, and the event was the release of the film It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Mad World, almost Mister Mad then an American comedy film.
Speaker 3: I love this for wonderful movie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, terrific and my fabulous cast.
Speaker 3: It had everyone in it.
Speaker 5: Everyone you can imagine at that time was in it. You had Buddy you hack At, Milton Ball, Sid Caesar ethel Merman, Dorothy pra Ncer, Tracy Spencer, Tracy was the lead, and Mickey Rooney was in it.
Speaker 4: Everybody was in it.
Speaker 5: And it was in cinerama, which is you know, the plans a picture theater underneath the region down up there in the colin straight down there. That was the cinerama screen that operated there. So they only played it there and it was on for months and months and months and months. And all those Cinerama films were terrific because they had the three screen process with three projectors, there's massive screen.
Speaker 4: You felt like you were in the film.
Speaker 5: But this particular one, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Mad World, was a great comedy and I spoke to Dorothy Provine. She played ethel Merman's daughter in it. She came to Australia in nineteen sixty one when Frank Sinatra as part of his tour.
Speaker 4: I only went to Sydney, of course.
Speaker 5: But she has passed on now. I thought she was lovely, didn't you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was in a TV series called something.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was called the Roaring Twenties, and she was pinky. She was pinky in that and she sang a song every week and she was marvelous.
Speaker 3: She was rather good. And that's why she was here with Frank. And that the only reason why she came out with Frank.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: They might have been out here to practice the limbo. I wasn't exactly sure.
Speaker 4: Judges guests, celebrity judges.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you could have should have kept that rear up. He would much better than teaching.
Speaker 3: Just stop talking about it. It still hurts, buddy.
Speaker 4: Okay, mate, I'm terribly sorry. He is right there, mate, you hit that bar rather hard. That's right, It's okay. Well, here we are.
Speaker 5: I'm talking to Dorothy Provine about the film It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Mad Worlds.
Speaker 2: In nineteen sixty three. You played opposite Milton Burle and ethel Merman. Ethel Merman played the mother from Hell, one of my favorite classic films. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Mad world You played the daughter, and I think Dick Sewan played your brother.
Speaker 6: What's your daughter?
Speaker 3: What was it?
Speaker 4: What were your memories of that one.
Speaker 7: Chair?
Speaker 6: That's the chair? Well, first of always wear desert and uh for I didn't, I don't even remember how long. And it was very hot and I'm not supposed to go out in the sun. I got such a pale skin and everything that that was a problem.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 6: A bunch of mad people, really, I liked. I liked everyone. They were all funny, but they all would come to me and tell me how everybody else was doing something wrong, but they were they had it right. And I don't know why they came to me, But Milton would come and you know, different ways. It was very strange. They were competitive, but then I must say a nice way. No one really got mad or angry or anything.
Speaker 4: But she was terrific, wasn't she very pretty girl? Yes?
Speaker 3: And I remember it quite fondly. Not that she was a huge star, but she did make any imistration.
Speaker 5: Yes, And I reckon Ethel Murman would have stirred up that cast because she was pretty tough, the old Ethel.
Speaker 4: Yes, she was tough. Yes, absolutely quick Quiz time, Kevin Quick, Quiz boys, Okay, are you ready? Yes.
Speaker 5: Gun Smoke was a popular television series or western in nineteen sixty three. It starred James RNs as Marshall Matt Dillon. What was the name of the town where the series was set. Was it A Dodge City, B, Tombstone, C, Virginia City or D Santa Fe? Where was the series Gun Smoke sets in that town that they were in throughout the whole series for about ten seasons or something.
Speaker 4: Well, I have no idea because I am too young to remember.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say my guess, Santa Fe. I think it's the Western Fielder, Like, I don't really know the answer at all. I saw the show a couple of times there was Ben it.
Speaker 4: I watched it all.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 4: It was a hugely popular show. Remember, and mister Dylon, let's go to I'm leaning toward Tombstone. Sound sort of cartoony, and I just I'm going to agree with Simon on Tombstone because I just think it's a great name in town, and especially for a series like there was another TV series called Tombstone Territory.
Speaker 3: Of Moonstone Territory.
Speaker 4: Up back where I want to be.
Speaker 7: That was it.
Speaker 3: So I don't think you're going to be right, because they wouldn't have to.
Speaker 5: Anything is possible in Hollywood.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm going to leave it locked.
Speaker 3: I've been overruled.
Speaker 5: All right, we're ready.
Speaker 4: So Ben and I are both going Tombstone. Andrew's going Santa Fe.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well it wasn't Virginia City, so that one was wrong. Sadly, Andrew, it wasn't Santa Fe and Simon and Ben, I had to break this news to you. But it wasn't Too Stone, so no one got it.
Speaker 4: It was Dodge City. Dodge City.
Speaker 5: A lot of things happened in Dodge see that's right.
Speaker 3: And later on, of course, it became famous for making cars.
Speaker 5: Yes, of course, as you do.
Speaker 4: Wonderful Now television should we get into television?
Speaker 5: In nineteen sixty three on TV in nineteen sixty three, we were watching the Danny Thomas Show, which was originally Make Room for Daddy, and then they changed the title and then they changed the cast and it was on ABC Television and it starred Danny Thomas, so they called it the Danny Thomas Show, the new series smart Move.
Speaker 4: It was it's hard to write out the lead actor.
Speaker 5: Then, Yeah, I was all filmed in black and white, and he made a deal with Desilu's Studios to film it there, which was the same studio as they used for I Love Lucy with the three cameras and the terrific filming. Marjorie Lawrence was Marjorie Lawrence. Marjorie Lord Lord. Yeah, Marjorie Lord was the one who played the wife in the show, Danny's wife. Yes, and Marjorie Lord died around about twenty fifteen at the age of ninety seven, but prior to that I spoke to her a little difficult Thomas.
Speaker 9: It is starring Danny Thomas, also starring Marjorie or And as his wife, Rusty Hammer and their son and John Cartwright.
Speaker 4: As their daughter.
Speaker 2: Well, you mentioned some of the guests you had on that program, Marjorie, and I'd just like to touch on a couple like Lucy or Ball and Desi Arnaires. You had a lot, well, you appeared on their show and there was quite a bit of direction with those too. And one of your memories of Lucy o'bull and Dizzy on.
Speaker 10: Is well I wrote about that a little bit in my book. And Desi was quite brilliant that people didn't realize that he really ran that Desilu studio. And I was impressed that when he would rehearse the scene the first time, you know, he had quite an accent, but he never had to repeat it, and he'd come back to do a second rehearsal, he'd know all the lines. He never looked at the script. Lucy was the opposite. She wanted to rehearse and rehearse and rehearse, and we did. She liked to go over things, but she was brilliant. She knew where every camera and where the house would be lit, and how to move and when she was with it, Daddy, you know, kind of let her make all the decisions. She wanted to make Lucy was quite serious in her personal life. She could be so funny, but sometimes she'd be very open and friendly, and other times she seemed to be preoccupied.
Speaker 4: But she was a great artist, wonderful.
Speaker 5: I loved Lucille Ball. I thought she was terrific. Yeah, she could have made a little bit of a problem.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, Mattrey Lord wasn't obviously that fond of her.
Speaker 4: Oh you didn't feel that from what she said?
Speaker 3: No, I wasn't getting a gush of emotion the positive emotion about him, was I?
Speaker 4: No, No, that's true, that's true.
Speaker 3: Anyway, we move on, Yes, Yes, that's okay.
Speaker 5: Yes, And who remembers Alan Rowe and Kimbo?
Speaker 3: That was Kimba.
Speaker 4: Kimba was the white Lion.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, you get things a little bit, sup.
Speaker 5: Was the contributions appreciated?
Speaker 3: I'm going so well tonight. Kimbo the Koala. I don't remember Elan Rowe? I don't do you remember him at all?
Speaker 5: Did you watch the Tarak Show with Jerry g and Ron Blasket and all those people? And Phil was for Prince Philip?
Speaker 4: Yes in it? And your uncle.
Speaker 3: I was always funny when Jeff core competed because he did it for adults. I felt he was actually playing.
Speaker 4: Tonight.
Speaker 3: He was doing it for eight year olds. But the way he was speaking was really as a man who would be comparing imt Yes, it was very funny that way.
Speaker 5: Well, Eleanroe did a lot of acting.
Speaker 3: He was I'm sorry, oh no, that's fine. I reached the end of the ten.
Speaker 5: And Allan Roe was a friend of mine and he worked at GTV Channel nine for a number of years in that Terek show. But here is Kimbo, the Koala, Alan's faithful companion, and they're working together right now.
Speaker 9: Tell me, Kimbo, what are you going to sing for the girls and boys?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 8: Well, I am going to sing two little songs I wrote myself.
Speaker 7: Two little songs you wrote yourself.
Speaker 9: That's very clever of him, isn't it girls and boys that can write songs?
Speaker 2: What are they called, Kimbo?
Speaker 8: Well, the first one is called I'm a Little Football Fan.
Speaker 3: And what about the second one that's.
Speaker 8: Called the Little Tug Song.
Speaker 11: I'm a little on bull Man.
Speaker 7: I'm as happy as can be.
Speaker 8: I love to watch a football match, one sitting up right dream when the whistle blows.
Speaker 2: I always shout.
Speaker 5: As lonely as I can.
Speaker 11: You're holding them more drinking drinking.
Speaker 8: Find a little football man. I'm a little football man. I'm as happy as can be. I love to watch a football match once hitting.
Speaker 2: At my dream.
Speaker 8: When the whistle blows, I always shout.
Speaker 9: As long as I can, you're holding the more drinking drinking.
Speaker 11: I'm a little o ballan.
Speaker 4: I think we just found three a W's new footy theme for next season. How good is that? To be good? Isn't that wonderful?
Speaker 5: Yes, Ellen unfortunately has passed on now, but I'm sure he'd be happy for you to us.
Speaker 4: So was that event act? So that was that Alan doing both for? Yes?
Speaker 5: Of course, Yes he's a ventriloquist and yeah, a very good performer.
Speaker 4: And why have I not heard of him until now? Like Ron Blasket was the ventriloquist, I didn't know there were others.
Speaker 5: They got around, there were a few of them, a few of them years. But he used to be in the Panomimes, remember the Tarik Sure Panamimes used to do them live on a Christmas time?
Speaker 3: Not really. I wish I could say yes, but I can't. You were in Victoria, Yes I was. I didn't. I didn't watch the Tarik Show, just never seeing Jeff Cork occasionally. I was a little too sophisticated for you, Kevin. Everything.
Speaker 5: I watched the Test bat and I never missed anything.
Speaker 4: A five year old Andrew would have been watching four Corners on the ABC or something like that, sitting back a smoking jackets, you know, with the watching Noel Coward plays, reading the Financial Review.
Speaker 3: That's all right, yeah, and discussing the equities of the world.
Speaker 4: Okay, checking out his share portfolio, right, that's but it was good.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 4: I thought that was really good. Good.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Should we take a.
Speaker 4: Break, I think so. We're in Trask's time tunnel and we're about to look at the shows of nineteen sixty three.
Speaker 5: Well, there's a new book out on Lee Gordon, who was the American producer who bought the Big Stars to Australia, and it's called Lee Gordon Presents by Jeff Apter and it's available in all Good books shops.
Speaker 4: Pete Smith told me about this book, and.
Speaker 5: I'm going to have to get a copy of it because I'm fascinated with all that because I was at all those shows. Yes, straight after the Tarrek show. I'd go straight down the Festival.
Speaker 3: Hall get your tickets.
Speaker 4: Tickets, he's going to be our guest on Sunday, the sixth of July. Remembering to talk about the book, Oh marvelous.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Oh that's true. I'm thrilled to bits to hear that. Of course, the Lee Gordon Big Shows was where Johnny O'Keeffe got his break and became famous. And I spoke to pee Weee Wilson from the Daltons about Johnny O'Keeffe.
Speaker 4: Ah, I'm counting.
Speaker 1: Ever since we met, Darling, I've been keeping school.
Speaker 2: It was a fabulous hero when you when you did those Lee Gordon shows. I can still see the Dltons and Johnny O'Keeffe on stage in my memory. But what are your memories of working with Johnny o'keef.
Speaker 7: Well, he was a most interesting character. Of course, as we're in hindsight we look back on his on his relatively short career, in the sense that he really was a dynamic performer. There was something that all of us in the in the up and coming artists in that early period, we're looking towards Johnny Keith as a mentor, and certainly he had a natural stagecraft. We never ever viewed him. Has been one of the great singers of of of the business, but certainly had all other those spects going in. The one thing that we all admired aboutbout him much was was his commitment to the business.
Speaker 4: Just today, work, just just I love pee Weee Wilson just adore me too. Yeah, I think it's again.
Speaker 5: That was a great interview you did with him a couple of months ago. Maybe it was last year.
Speaker 4: I think it was late last year.
Speaker 5: We'll have to get him on again here you will, because he's full of stories and he's terrific.
Speaker 3: Who tired in nineteen sixty three, KIV quite a few.
Speaker 5: Sabo sat on top of the Elephants. Oh yes, Zazu, Pits, Dick Powell, and Patsy Klein. Patsy Cline was killed in a plane crash in nineteen sixty three.
Speaker 4: She was at the peak of her career.
Speaker 5: She was a country singer. She had a lot of hits. She had a twang and her voice and a sober voice. Yeah, and I thought she was terrific. And I love this song by Patsy Cline, Crazy.
Speaker 12: Crazy, I am crazy for villain. Slowly crazy, crazy for feeling.
Speaker 7: So I love.
Speaker 11: You, love me as love as as you wanted. I'm a little someday.
Speaker 12: You leave me for somebody new.
Speaker 10: Worry?
Speaker 11: Why do I let myself worry? Wondering what in the world?
Speaker 3: Yeah, wonderful sounded.
Speaker 5: Don't you love the backing chorus there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, fantastic. Sorry, Andrew saying no, no, just.
Speaker 3: What I just should mention too in passing that when that plan crashed into the mountain, two other great country stars died in the plane with the hawkshaw Hawkins and Cowboy Cops.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there were three of them lost to us that day. All right, mystery voice, this is the most challenging part for you.
Speaker 7: Really.
Speaker 4: I know you're worry about this from.
Speaker 3: You know it starts on a Sunday morning. Oh no, it's coming on the chills.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: What I love, though, is the suspense that envelops Andrew and it consumes him. Well, we take a break before we get to it. It's mystery voice time. As Andrew was discussing just prior to the break, Kevin Trask is going to play us a mystery voice. We're going to try and guess who it is and we want you to do the same, but you answer by texting your answer to us. Zero four double seven, six nine three six ninety three is the number for you to text Kevin is do we have a clue? Do we have a clue?
Speaker 5: It's a male The boys watch.
Speaker 4: The girls while the girls watch the boys who watched the Girls go by?
Speaker 7: I do.
Speaker 9: Less all of it to be to make this scene, which is.
Speaker 4: The name of the game, Watch a guy watch a team on It is three to tip.
Speaker 1: Up and down, head over any cross romans.
Speaker 13: Is bar.
Speaker 7: Girl's time.
Speaker 2: It happens everywhere.
Speaker 7: I was watching the Girl's walk.
Speaker 4: Well, well, well, I've got nothing to do.
Speaker 3: The song is music to Watch Girls Go By. It was a hit as a vocal and as an instrumental from memory.
Speaker 5: Okay, is it that's your answer?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 3: Andy Williams had the hit version of it as a vocal obviously, But who that is? I have no idea.
Speaker 4: Is it an Australian? Yes it is.
Speaker 5: Your first question was a singer?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's that's the first thing I thought I would have got. It sounded like an AUSSI singing to me.
Speaker 3: Is he more known as a singer or was he known as a singer. Yes, Ben anything something.
Speaker 4: Still hard for Ben. It's nineteen sixty three. Known as a singer, but other methods of entertainment. Was he an actor as well? Not an actor? Not an actor? A television host, not a television host. Radio.
Speaker 3: Yes, so as we're talking this jockey, we are talking. This is jockey. Yes, so we're going to be talking sixties. Graham Web.
Speaker 4: No, damn it.
Speaker 3: Jim Woody Wood.
Speaker 4: No, Jeff Manyon no, Banks no, no, Claudia No, it's a male. Yeah, this is remarkable.
Speaker 5: You've come this far. I am very impressed with both of you. Peter Allen, No, not Peter Allen, Ken Francis not Ken Fred.
Speaker 4: Other radio personalities from the era. Grantly D.
Speaker 5: This is Grantly Dan.
Speaker 4: Well, Where's where was that from?
Speaker 5: That's from an I m t Was it really from a collection from Dorothy Baker? And I was transferring some songs of Dorothy's off the real real tape and on here's Grantly D.
Speaker 4: And ah, that's one.
Speaker 5: It's a great mystery.
Speaker 4: And yeah, that is incredible. Well you picked that well, it was lucky in the clues, like to narrow with to somebody who's known for singing yes, but also a radio just a good guy. Because I was going to go Stan Rowe, Yes, I was just trying to think of anyone from the sixties. I could think of Alan Lappin. I was just going to throw out any name until I got them. What was Grantly do? His big hit that Money Had Let Their and the Little Girl Dan.
Speaker 3: Something like that. I just can't remember it. That's it, that was it. I got it, but it was. It was a great hit for him, and he was just to explain to people who don't know. Of course he was not cited, yes, exactly, and he had quite a career as a radio career and the singing career.
Speaker 4: I think I was totally blind, wasn't he. Yeah, he was terrific. He was really good.
Speaker 5: How did the listeners go? Did anybody out there in listening land get this?
Speaker 4: Well, we've had quite a few. Someone suggested Mark Trevorrow. It does sound like Mark Trevarro doing a parody a type thing above down type thing. Jerry Seinfeld, Barry Crocker, don not Jimmy Hannon all good guess yes, But the first one to correctly guess was Sue of Q, who correctly guests grandly well and soue well done. Excellent, that was really good. Yeah, yeah, very happy with that. So am I all right, We've got a minute to have a look at the films of nineteen sixty three, please Kevin Well, there was a big one came out.
Speaker 5: Can I mention I'm watching it came from out of Space, which is on Foxtelle or Max what if it's called? Yeah and Richard Carlson and it's terrific black and white from nineteen fifty three, and I'm absorbed with it.
Speaker 3: It's really really space monster alien movie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it came from out of Space?
Speaker 3: Did Richard Carson It'll make an A grade movie? No, No, everything he made at titles like that.
Speaker 5: And I discovered something. I say this very quickly. I thought it was in The Creature from Black Lagoon. But at the Grand in Coburg, there's a scene in a film where the Richard Carlson's standing on screen and somebody puts their hand out from the left hand side of screen and taps him on the shoulder, and we all went, well it was in It came from out of Space, And I jumped up on the counter. Took me right back.
Speaker 4: It did to the he was living alone.
Speaker 3: He's very nervous in the house. I am, I am, I am, but he's a bit of a scaredy cat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've got the dog to protect me. With the light on the fridge open, It's all missy. The Birds came out in nineteen sixty three. The Alfred Hitchcock film with Tippy Hedron was a Tippy Hedron and we had Rod Taylor, Jessica tandyan Or Big cast.
Speaker 4: It was a terrific movie.
Speaker 5: As most of Hitchcock's films were scary.
Speaker 2: But I spoke to Tippy Hedron about the birds. I'd like to go to the scene in the attic where they threw all those birds at you.
Speaker 5: When you want to go there, I bet you don't. But that was pretty traumatic for a first film to be.
Speaker 3: In a scene like that, you know what, you know?
Speaker 13: When I when I was reading the script, you know how how I ask? I mean, how are you going to do this scene? He said, Oh, don't worry, We're going to use mechanical birds. Fine, no problem. Actually it was a very kind thing he did. However, there was no intention of using mechanical birds, and I didn't know about the real ones until the morning we were to start filming that scene, and I walked out onto the set and there was a cage built around that door that I walk in, with three huge boxes of ravens and seagulls and a few pigeons thrown in and and there were three pot men who we had great big gauntlets up to their shoulders and which they alternately started hurling at me. And it took five days to do that scene. Well, you're very brave, that's what That's what Cary Grant said. He came on Wednesday and he said, you're I think you're the bravest lady I've ever met, and I don't and I don't know if that's the word for it.
Speaker 4: Wonderful, good story. And now we're going to to a break so we can come back with the popular songs of sixty three.
Speaker 3: All right, the final few minutes of Trask's Timetital nineteen sixty three of the year, and the songs were.
Speaker 5: You'd be in your element here Andrew Dominique, who sang that the singing nun very good, tick good, start go away, little girl, Steve Lawrence correct, he's so fine, the chaffon correct.
Speaker 3: That was the one George Harrison got himself into trouble about.
Speaker 4: Oh that's right, it is true. Hey, Paula, Paul and Paula correct. It's my party and I'll cry if I wanted.
Speaker 3: Are correct whose father was a multi millionaire bikini manufacturer.
Speaker 4: How about that? I will follow him? The not the Chaffons again.
Speaker 3: It was the no the something's no no no, it was little Peggy March.
Speaker 5: I was a little piggy Matt. We were both on one hundred percent. Let's not break the bond here.
Speaker 4: We're doing well. Our day will come.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The Toothbox to Buffalo slle uh, Ruby and the Romantics.
Speaker 4: Wow, sukiyaki, sukiyaki kyo second motto, kyud good.
Speaker 3: He's good any because you weren't even born.
Speaker 4: No, he's a well before my time.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: Surf City, Jan and Dean correct walk like a man the Frankie Valley.
Speaker 4: In the Four Seasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go that one move, baby move j Okay correct, Proud of you, Thank you j Justin.
Speaker 5: Now that's when I thought would get you guys, But you've got it well two more ago now, just concentrated missing, there's going to be one hundred percent got news in thirty seconds, fifty five days of peaking, Rob e G And Royal Telephone, Jimmy Little one hundred percent. Well done, boys than I loved, Helen Shapiro and I love No Trespassing.
Speaker 4: And we love you, Kevin, Thank you for all you do. Where we go next work.
Speaker 5: Will come with me to nineteen fifty five beautiful.
Speaker 4: I'm going to