Speaker 1: Hello world, and a song that was singing, come on, get happy, a whole lot of love, and it's what will be bringing, will make you happy. We are a dream when don't traveling to young us metal and love and it will keep moving on.
Speaker 2: Some bit always happens.
Speaker 1: When they have a win together and we get a happy feeling when we're singing a song traveling alone. There's a song that was singing, come on, get happy, a whole lot of love, and it's what will be bringing. We'll make you happy, will make you happy, make you.
Speaker 3: Well. Good morning, everybody. Good to be here for Australia overnight. Gee. I haven't said those words in about four months, I reckon it's been Tony's such a workhorse. He just doesn't seem to take the time off. But fear not. Look Tony McManus is alive and well. But he's well. When I say well, he's just a little under the weather and thought it best not to come in. His partner's been a touch unwell for the last couple of days and it's managed to get its grips on him and so he's off this morning. He'll probably be back tomorrow, but if not, he'll be back certainly by Monday, so no, have no fear about the health of your regular host. But for those who haven't heard me before, if you're new to the Australia Overnight Program across three A, W, five A and six PR and some other stations as well named Simon Owens, I usually do weekends on three AW weekend nights Saturday night as I do my show, The Simon Owen Show and Sunday nights. I do remember when with Andrew McLaren. So I'm just stepping in for this morning whilst Tony years off. It has been four months. Last one I did was January fifteen, when Tony was just about to come back. Excuse me, Oh, I'm off to a good start, when Tony was about to come back from his Christmas holidays. Jay is here this morning. Morning Jay, Good morning, Simon. Nice to have you back with this a little while. Yeah, thank you, good to be here. So as would that have been the last time we worked together? Would have been did you work through Christmas? Yes?
Speaker 4: On and off through Christmas? Yeah, it would have been back in January. So yeah, been this year? Has this flown, hasn't it?
Speaker 3: I'm still not used to writing when I fill out a date on something, and I've had a lot of paperwork I've had to fill in in the last three weeks, and every time I go to write the date, I go twenty two five. Yeah, So here we are in May, and I still struggle with the fact that it's not twenty twenty four anymore.
Speaker 4: Yes, And I think the weather is a bit of a big factor in that, because we we obviously are very cold at this time of the year. Yeah, but we've had those mild days and we think, well, well, we're still a bit of autumn, you know, still mild days.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that's really throwing the brain out as well.
Speaker 3: It has. Yeah, that and old age.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, I was trying to actually birthday next week?
Speaker 3: Oh is there to avoid that one? Which is that fifty one for fifty fifty one? Yeah, you're just you're just a pump Wait wait till you get to fifty three like me.
Speaker 4: Oh, you wouldn't tell, You wouldn't be able to tell.
Speaker 3: Thank you. That's because that's because I don't have much in the way of gray hair. That's exactly right. Nothing. How have you been, Have you been well? Yeah? Good? Thanks?
Speaker 4: You all going well? Keeping out of trouble as best I can. So paid off my last car for speeding fine. That's that's all good.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I was only it was four six kilometers. Come on, yeah in a twenty zone. Yeah, that's right. In a forty zone. Forty z own forty six It is rough.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know people were walking past me.
Speaker 3: People on scooters, Uber eats delivery people exactly, and cyclists. Yeah, but I paid that one. That's out of the way now. But yeah, that's about it. I got a speeding fine. I got my first speeding fine, and I reckon, It's been ten years since I've had a speeding fine. That's the joy of driving a Yaris is that you don't really get speeding fines because you know, you've got a pedal really hard to get to a speed where you're breaking the limit. But now that I've got so Philip Brady, I have Philip Brady's car now. He left that to me very kindly, and and that's a that's a Ford Falcon XR six with a three point nine liter engine and you know, sports stuff on it. So it's a very You're get in that car you started and it just goes and all you do is point it in the direction you want it to go. You don't actually to drive, you just point it where you need it to go, and so old it would know the roads around it does. Yeah, yeah, because's twenty two years old. Or say, but I was picked in a I was in forty nine and a forty zone and it was it was that homes Glenn for Victorian listeners will know Homes Glenn Tafe is the hot spot for speeding fines because it's a forty zone twenty four hours a day and it's a major road and you're coming down a hill before you get to it, so your roll in there naturally doing sixty. Well that's my excuse. Yeah, the car rolls quickly, Yeah, exactly. So so that I got my first one because I was in Phil's car and not my car. So first one in ten years disappointing. All right, now I've just said the studio line's wrong. You better go and find out who that is and I'll just chat to myself and get promo some call. So one double three six nine three is a number if you want to give us a call. If you're in Melbourne, you can also or Adelaide. You can also ring one double three eight eighty two because it's great to be going into Perth again. I haven't spoke to you guys in months and months and months, so it's great to be back on air in both Perth and Adelaide. It's exciting for me. So I want your calls. I want to know what's going on in your neck of the woods. How have you been, how's your part of this fabulous country of ours one double three eight to eighty two or one double three six nine three. You can also text us this morning anytime you like. I don't read out every text that we get, but I do see everyone that comes through. So zero four double seven six ninety three six nine three. If you're a touch on the shy side, I don't know. Not everybody wants to be speaking on air, and we fully respect that. But you can also take part in the program by texting, so you're welcome to do that. Zero four double seven six nine three six nine three. And because it's been a while, and I'll just refresh sort of my philosophy on talkback, we don't screen your calls. When you ring, Jay's going to ask your name, your suburb and then Bang puts you to air, so we don't ask what you want to chat about. We don't do any of that stuff. Name suburb, you go to wear. So if you're one of those people who say you buyers, you're horrible radio, you can't trust him. Now you have your say on whatever you like. One double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two open line in its purest form. All calls are welcome. So let's get to something. We might as well kick it off before we get to the first break, Van's intra ralgon Hi vern A.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what all I can say, Bingo, bingo, bingo.
Speaker 6: Come on and be happy.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what Simon. I've been waiting for you to come on here because at the moment Tony started you off and I've.
Speaker 7: Got to see.
Speaker 5: You're on six, Tennis is on seventeen, Perison is on sixteen, and Tony's on twenty one.
Speaker 3: Oh he's doing very well. So before you go on, Vern, I'll just explain for those who don't know, Vern has a role in quiz going with all the night and late night hosts. He's only managed to We've only done it once. For me, So I got I'm on six points because I've only done it once. I think the others are all beating me because they've been doing the quiz a lot more often than I have. But all right, let's get into event because we've got we've got other callers, so I don't want to keep them waiting too long. So yeah, let's get into your quiz.
Speaker 5: There, Tony only alpha, vet H J K L M L. I couldn't get a name of these are names of cars.
Speaker 8: It doesn't have to be.
Speaker 5: There's a make, it could be a name. So now all of these that I'm going to ask you will be one point.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so uh l M and oh, what do you got?
Speaker 3: So I've got to come up with so sorry, just to be clear on the question, because you haven't phrased it terribly well, I have to give you a car that starts with L, a car that starts with them, one that starts within, and one that starts with oh. Is that what you're asking me?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 5: To finished off in. So now I'm going ask you, oh.
Speaker 3: For oscar, So a car that starts with oh, Oh, crikey, that is a tough one.
Speaker 10: Oh, to get rid of it?
Speaker 7: Do you do a pass?
Speaker 3: No, no, because I know there is a German one. I'm just trying to think what it was. It's a an opal an open is a German car that starts with yeah.
Speaker 7: Now you've got that one.
Speaker 3: YEA, thank your problem with all?
Speaker 8: That's one point to you now, p.
Speaker 3: P hello, Yes, Thomas is good. Yep, that's a yes.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna skip you because it's a bit of a hard one. It's only because I want you to get your numbers up.
Speaker 11: Okay, next one, yes, yes.
Speaker 3: Super h T Well I drive a Toyota, so I'll have to say Toyota, all right.
Speaker 12: It's t.
Speaker 13: You.
Speaker 5: Oh you. It's a bit of a hard one. I think you should skip that one.
Speaker 3: I could because I can't think of one for you. V would be Volkswagen.
Speaker 7: Yes it is. Actually it's called you are g O. But anyway, I'll.
Speaker 5: Give you that one. Yeah, no, l alpha lima.
Speaker 3: I think we go back to well, I thought we were up to we just did V. So isn't W next? Are we going back to We're going back to well? Or what do you want?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 5: No, sorry, it's my fault.
Speaker 15: J K l.
Speaker 7: H h ah ah.
Speaker 3: For Romeo, well, we've done that, I said Reno.
Speaker 5: Ah, okay, h.
Speaker 3: So we've done V. So if we're going through the alphabet, the next letter would b W.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, what do you well? Some am I allowed to? Well? Look, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head. My uncle had a Subaru w r X. So you're allowed to give like the model of a car as opposed to the brand.
Speaker 16: A w r X.
Speaker 5: Yep, you've got that one. What's the X one on the alphabet?
Speaker 13: H X?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think I can't think of an X a car that starts with X.
Speaker 5: Well, didn't I just tell you? It's uh called Excalibur, and it's made boy, it's made boy.
Speaker 17: Oh heck.
Speaker 5: Uh, it's made by anyway. I'll think of it in a minute. What's the next one?
Speaker 18: Why?
Speaker 19: Why?
Speaker 3: Well, my car is a Toyota yaris so wife or yarris?
Speaker 8: Right now?
Speaker 5: Last one?
Speaker 14: Z Z?
Speaker 3: Was there anything ever called a Javago?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 3: That's the movie, isn't it, doctor Jvargo? H No, I'm gonna. I'm gonna. I'm going to struggle with a Z. I can't.
Speaker 5: Okay you we shared on EXCaliber and that was by.
Speaker 7: Study Baker, I should.
Speaker 3: Have said X trail that this an X trail would have done for X, but too late I missed that fair enough.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, I'll end it up and next time we come to air, I think you might get a surprise.
Speaker 3: Oh beautiful. We're good on you, Vern. Thank you for that. That's Vern's rolling quiz, so always appreciated. All right, we better get a break out of the way, Jim, Chris and Adrian. Are there more calls coming through as well? One double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two. All calls are welcome. Anything you want to chat about. That was really a productive sagment, won't it. Thank you for all the texts that people are sending through mentioning well car brands. Maggie said a Zephyr, so thank you for that, Maggie. That would have worked. And Agent eight to eight said Zetta was a car brand back in the sixties. Thank you Agent nine to five zero, who sent two messages Simon, this rubbish quiz with Vern is absolute rubbish. Sick of it. Please dump him, and then please please Simon stop Vern. This is stupid. Well I don't think it's stupid. It might not be to your taste. But we do quizzers with people all the time. I don't see why an audience member can't quiz us if we've got time to squeeze a calling. I thought I found that interesting to try and come up with all those car brands, but realize it's not to your taste. Thank you for the feedback, but no, I'm happy to run with it if Vern wishes to do so. Let's keep your calls going. Let's get to a Jim in Westwoods Gray, Hi, Jim.
Speaker 20: Morning, Simon and j Mos to hear you or overnightes again. If Tony is listening in bed. All the best to Tony if he's up listening. Also, I heard Jay saying it's his fifty first birthday.
Speaker 3: Next week next week.
Speaker 20: Yes, I'll say an early happy birthday, just in case I don't get to say it next week, but hopefully i'll get to ring him next week. Also a quick hello to joan In and Deva Hills and Nathan in Gippsland. And it Lenn Glenn, who's a regular caller from Melton. I'm not sure, but I think he I know he worked as an engineer in the airport, but the other night unless I'll start to sleep. And I was hearing things. I thought I heard him say he worked at fourth Weeks, because if he worked at Bourth Weeks, I might know Lend because I've worked the Bourth Weeks for three years, many years ago.
Speaker 3: So what was bour Weeks? I've not heard that name before.
Speaker 20: Both Wicks was the meat works, and years ago many meat works on some of our road, very far down some of our road. There's many, many of them together. Hardly any of them exists now, Simon. That's why you probably haven't heard of it. That was in the lay seven, yes, up to the early eighties. I think remember once, Remember once I said to you in Cape Bush's song Wuthering Heights, she never mentioned once. A lot of people seen that were the first time with the other title, would think it's called Kathy that song without seeing the name advertised on the bottom, because she she mostly sings I'm Kathy in it. Not Wuthering Heights is not mentioned once.
Speaker 3: But I thought it was. I thought she does say Weathering Heights in the song? Does she not say Weathering Heights?
Speaker 20: I have never heard it once, and I have video taped it. I've never heard that word mentioned once. Maybe I'm wrong and you can have a look. But also something else has been bothering me. You know, I heard you with Sandy Kay talking about Cas Stevens, who's used the Islam now and mentioning something clever about being cat. But on Cas Stephens song, he has two songs. One is called Father and Son. One is called So if you have a chance, have a listened to something which has been bothering me for years. I'm father and Son. He mentions he's supposed to be talking to his son. He says, yeah, you're so young, that's your fault. I think you're supposed to sing you're so young, that's not your fault and everything. And I think he just left her thinking people wouldn't notice that. I think when he's talking to someone so young saying that that's your fault, I really think it was supposed to be you're so young, that's.
Speaker 3: Not your fault. Yeah, yeah, because you can't blame someone for being young.
Speaker 21: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just googled the lyrics for Wuthering Heights because I was sure that she sings the word wuthering, wathering, wathering heights, and then into the chorus, Heathcliff blah blah blah.
Speaker 10: And so.
Speaker 3: Excuse me. So I just looked it up and yes, in the third verse, bad dreams in the night, they told me I was going to lose the fight. Leave behind my wothering wuthering wathering heights, Heathcliff, it's me, I'm Kathy. So yeah, she does actually sing wothering heights in there.
Speaker 20: Okay, I never heard it every time.
Speaker 3: Well, I always say about I always say about Kate Kate Bush, that it is hard to hear the lyrics because she sings in such an impossibly high range. I think only bat's can really understand what she's saying.
Speaker 20: Yeah, she does, but listen to Cas Stevens, father and some I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be that's not your fault, but not that that's your fault on father.
Speaker 3: And some no worries. All right, well we'll see if we can dig that out a little later. We've got a board for the call, so we won't play it now, but if we get time later, we'll play it. Never listen, good on your Jim. Always good to chat to you, mate, and chat again soon. Peter's in Port Melbourne. Peter, Yeah, not too bad.
Speaker 22: Yeah, just traffic report on the outbound on the mintion. I think it's just before the helf. Keep his fin off unless that bridge there.
Speaker 23: There's about four or five cars that I think they've p cut up.
Speaker 11: The funny thing is the two apart.
Speaker 22: There's a couple of cop cars there. One car is lot's front wheel on our hell and there's a couple of cops walking along the road. I'm on the emergency lane. So whoever's driving past to slow it down, there's a the life of showing forty k slow down, can pitch blacking between that as they like us?
Speaker 3: All right, So so that that's the Monash outbound heading towards the Southeastern suburbs with near the near the South gipps Land intersection. Is it the turn off? Yeah, And you say there's a there's a couple of cars involved, but there are a couple of hundred meters apart.
Speaker 11: Yeah, well there's I think it was four cars.
Speaker 14: One car.
Speaker 11: First car I saw the front, the front.
Speaker 22: That was and further up there's a car up there. Then yeah, that's Whatso walking from each car all.
Speaker 20: The way down.
Speaker 3: All right, get on your peed of the lines, just breaking up a little bit there, such as the joy of mobile phones in this day and age. We can search the world on the Internet on them, but to try and make a phone call on a mobile phone now hard work sometimes. But thank you Peter, we got we got the message outbound on the Melbourne listeners on the on the Monash Freeway just as heading toward the South Gippee the turn off there. Just slow it down people because it's not a good situation. Thanks Peter. I'll always appreciate it. Thank you Chris, Adrian, Justin and others with you all in a sick This is Australia overnight. I was about to do a time call then I remembered we're across three states. So let's see if I get this right. Twenty six to one if you're listening in Melbourne, it's four minutes after midnight, if you're listening in South Australia, and if you're listening in Perth it's twenty six to eleven. I'm pretty sure that we've covered everyone there. And if you're not in any of those locations, just look at your phone because that's where we that's where you get accurate time. Once upon a time, I used to love I don't know if you're the same jay as a kid. If you got a new watch or something, you would ring the double one nine to four number and set your watch to the absolute exact right time, so it would give you a notification. Yeah. Yeah, well, so you'd ring that number, so you get the guy saying at the at the third stroke, yep, and then you'd start your watch at the right time, and so that it was so you knew that when a minute, you know, one minute was gone, two minutes was gone, it was exactly right.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And I think there was a weather one. Was there a weather one you could phone you can get quick on the weather.
Speaker 3: I think yeah, yeah, there were wonderful they're great service numbers. John Blackman had a joke of the day line that you could ring and hear hear a different joke every day. Nice. But those were the ones that started costing money. Yeah, yeah, it got a bit of money for the joke.
Speaker 24: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the time one was just a wonderful thing. But nowadays it's all just your phone just synchronizes your computers. Your phone all was just synchronized to the world, so we get exact times. Chris is in Brody, Hi, Chris, Well you're there, Chris, yep, gotcha.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 23: I was asking mate John, who was in media for five years. I said, where will free WBO if it's ratings and audience in fifteen to twenty years time. Because I've just backtracking a bit over the last five years. I've lost twenty two people and twelve people have passed away in the last two and forty years and I only feld that recent. And people say, when you get older I'm now sixty, people will more often pass away and there'll be more funerals year by year as you get older, because people do get older. And so I'd like to ask a soundingboard and Ford, it's quite okay to have that target audience of music and themes on the family orientate Bron, not those important, high profile daytime runs of the fifty sixties and seventies, But how do you cater for people that are at the age of forty to way age of sixty that come through the eighties and nineties and generations to come. If you maintain that target audience of music and people around the fifties, sixties and seventies, where will you be ratns wise? And do you do you flow on and encourage that generation that target, but also uncover the next generation of music and people and continue to have high rates and be basically number one for decades to come. You know, it's just a question that I can't answer myself.
Speaker 3: Well, look, I guess the key to talk radio is the evolution of it, in that as older hosts leave and newer hosts land the gigs, then naturally the you know, they will attract audiences closer to their own age. I worked with Bruce and Phil for all those years, and they're now both sadly gone, and they were enormously talented. But the fact is that a lot of the listeners who listened to Bruce and Phil back when I joined in the in the mid nineties, you know, a lot of those audience members have now passed on, but there are now I get messages from people who were my age who listened to myself and other people on the station, so it's sort of it's a replenishing thing. I've been with three a W as part of the network for thirty years, and the station is rating just as well now as it ever has, and in some instance is actually better than it has previously. So I do hear a lot of people saying, oh, your audience is all old and I'll die off and then you'll be in trouble. Well, it's been thirty years I've been here so far, and the audience is as big as it ever has been. So I think if we get the mix right then it will just continue.
Speaker 23: So just before months. But it's like Channel with the Golden new had a good problem for decades. I could promote everything about that Golden Era, you know, the tiny barbers, Bert Paddy Newton's, but I'm not saying not to entertain it. Now. A lot of them have sadly passed on. You know, there's still young Patricia An still with us in some capacity. Yes, you sort of encourage that, and it's historical that you can't really right history about the Golden Iro. But people of an age now that might be in their thirty or forty or so. So I've heard a bit about it, but I don't relate because I'm not familiar with it. Then it comes not a bad problem negative. I mean, it just means that you probably can't incorporate it as just a target audience of the gold because it's going to fish myself when I vote for the first time this year in the Gold Logan. I voted a lower end of the matia than anything else, I guess because I don't want the platforms and you know, all those things. But some people win the Gold logan and I have no idea who they are, what they do on TV, or never heard of them before. So that's my problem, not floting for the chance to watching other shows another TV. So but could that be a bit of frad W trying to you don't want to sell off rights to other TV, so you have people watching Channel seven when you want one Channel nine or you know, fred W. But we'd like this sort of case. We know when you have those average on ladies nine years all into it as one media. You're not Channel seven or Channel nine or you're all sort of one. But we don't get to feel that on for because if also so, I would only buy one day IV plus right now, would I have? And only have fre W on it? So I only can sort of field the product in listening and calls with what happens within fred W a little bit outside it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Look thanks for the call, Chris. Look the television, Look all the all the traditional media are facing problems now with well basically with revenue, because you've got your facebooks and Instagrams and you know those social media platforms that have now taken away a great deal of the advertising revenue that used to go into TV and radio and the like. So and it's so it's not just three a W and the nine Radio network suffering. Arn who run Kiss and Gold, and you know those sorts of Stuf and Ostereo who run the Two Day Network or the Hit Network as it's called now, and Triple M. They're all suffering from lower revenue, and so there's always tightening of belts and so unfortunately changes have to happen. And it's the same in TV land as well. There's been the budgets certainly aren't what they once were. Gone are the days of having a kerry packet of fund everything and just throw money left right in the center. So yeah, consolidation is a thing that has happened, and yeah, we'll just write it out and see if we all survive. But whilst people are spending their money on Facebook ads and instead of traditional media ads, well it's going to make an impact, sadly. And I think radio has been pretty lucky audience growth is actually happening in radio. There are more people listening to radio now than there ever were, and that surprises me because when you've got so many other options now with podcasts, Spotify, why would you list and to an FM station when you can listen to your own playlist on Spotify. So I'm surprised that the FM stations are holding up as well as they are. But yeah, look it's a fascinating discussion. Thank you, Chris. I'm going to keep moving now. Adrian's called him from nearmil Jura today. Adrian, Oh, hello, Simon.
Speaker 25: Nice to speak to you again after a long time.
Speaker 3: Thank you mate. Good to chat to you. How are you.
Speaker 25: I'm not too bad. I've got my chamship, but I'm getting through all of that at the moment, and if I leave another couple of months, I'll be happy.
Speaker 19: Uh.
Speaker 25: What I wanted to bring to you in remembrance that the great Philip Brady and the great Uh offside his sidekick Bruce apologize his name. It's a long time since you've been on radio, but what a wonderful couple those people. But remember, when here's something for you and your listeners. This is my Quiez coming up on Saturday night and we've been given the topic, ar't sheet, but we can I say, we can't sheat we can't look it up on our internet or phones. We need to get off the top of our heads. And this is the topic. Your listeners will know this great British detective shows on television in the nineteen seventies, eighties and nineteen nineties. It's got to be a British show that was fromy aired either through the seventies, eighties or nineties. There is a lot of them apparently. Now if I can get in there on Saturday night and bring in as many as I can, I might win a prize.
Speaker 3: All right, Well I reckon you grab a pin on paper eight and people will text or ring so they can ring one double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two. Well they can text zero four double seven six nine three six nine three. English detective series from the seventies, eighties and nineties, is it yes.
Speaker 25: Either in the seventies, it's either. They could have been popular in the seventies. And I assume people here in Australia watched a lot of TV and you were just talking about all the TV shows of years gone by. I'll tell you why we don't get all of these people, because now on the television simon, you had noticed all the main mainstream television networks has just got reality shows. Yeah, one of the things they used to. It's all part of the reality. They make the most money, the reality show.
Speaker 3: I I don't know why you grew up.
Speaker 25: We were watching variety shows. We were watching quiz shows. So of a century temptation it was our Philip was on TV down Lane was on all those wonderful shows. So it's all been replaced by reality shows. But I want to give you some remembering all we're remembering from seventies, eighties and nineties, your listeners, I'm sure we will remember some. It has to be British witches detective shows in the seventies or eighties or nineties. I'll probably fall asleep in the next ninety minutes or half of three calls an hour and hour. So you can go as long as you can and I'll get on to the show. Do you can we get on and listen to your show if it gets put on thee Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, the show is podcast. So if you if you just look for Australia overnight in a podcast feed it will come up. So yeah, that'll be an easy way to listen back. So we'll see how we go. Good on you, Adrian. We'll get a breakout of the way and see what calls we get and what take message as we get. So thank you for that. But Clark, justin, Nathan and James hang On will be with you after. Janet says vern enjoys his quiz. I enjoy listening to him. Why do we always have to have a nasty, mean person as in the case of the person who was rubbishing him. Thank you, Janet Lovely to have your support there for Verne. Yeah. Look, everything we do on this show and on this network, some people will love it and some people will hate it. And that's the joy of it all. And I always say, if we could please everybody by doing the absolute perfect show, we wouldn't be here on Middawn, we'd be on we'd be in the mainstream time slots earning more money than Kyle Sandy Lands if we could produce the perfect show. So you can't please everyone, so don't try. Just to just do what we do and hopefully people enjoy it, but thank you for that text. I've got more to read out, but we've got people who've been hanging on, so we'll get to them first. Clark has called him from Adelaide. Hey Clark from perthte go from Perth. Sorry that's cool, or have you been on hold that long that you you were that late?
Speaker 26: I was heading home in a taxi and we went past Canning Highway and Stirring Highway on the corner and one of the big.
Speaker 11: Trucks with.
Speaker 26: Containers on here that we think it'd our cyclist and no, a motorcyclist. Oh yeah, and he's on the and they're blocked off a whole intersection. Looks really dodgy when I went.
Speaker 11: Past, looked really sad.
Speaker 26: So I don't know if the police had been caught or not, but it looked really bad.
Speaker 3: Oh so, there were no emergency services there at.
Speaker 26: The time or no just main roads turned up and they had some uh cones around them stuff, but they were in any police in the ambulance there, so and you looked like he wasn't traveling.
Speaker 25: He was on the floor.
Speaker 26: The motorcyclist didn't look too good when we went past.
Speaker 3: Oh poor bugger. There is nothing worse. My nephew just got a motorbike and so our families gone into melt the about. You know, the boy in his twenties get some motorbike. It's just a terrifying thing for family members. Yeah, let's hope for it. Yeah, thank you, thanks Clark. So it's the Canning Highway and Stern Highway. It's the intersection there.
Speaker 26: Yeah, steing haway yeah, nWay.
Speaker 3: Yep, no worries. Well, thanks for letting us know that anybody in the area please stay away or slow right down when you get in there. Appreciate the call, Clark, Thank you.
Speaker 16: Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thanks, take care of yours. Justin's in Frankston.
Speaker 14: Hi, Justin, good Simon, long time no here, how have you been? Yeah, Ben all right, just got that's some interesting facts here to tell you. So I've got this world Atlas and the top broadband economies since two thousand and eight have got Australia listed as number eighteen in the world.
Speaker 3: When you say broadband economies, what do you mean, like as in actual internet connections or is that just a term? I don't know.
Speaker 12: Yeah, no, that's internet. So we're rare to number eighteenth in the world.
Speaker 3: I thought we'd be further down than that, because frankly, our internet's pretty lousy in Australia.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so it goes Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, South Korea, Finland, Luxembourg, and Canada. That's your top ten, right, yeah, and then France, UK, Belgium, Germany, Hong Kong, China, you were say, Macau, China, and then Australia is eighteenth.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, well I would have thought we would have been further down. And I don't mean that as a stab at the NBN or anything. I just simply think because of the massive land that we need to cover for internet services such a small population, it would be harder to have to fund having high quality, high speed internet exactly.
Speaker 12: And I've just got one clue because question for what year was the sput Neck launched?
Speaker 3: Sputneck. Okay, I'm going to stab in the dark. I'm going to I'm going to randomly say nineteen seventy four.
Speaker 12: I have no idea it was launched in nineteen fifty seven.
Speaker 3: Fifty seven, okay, so I was only nineteen years.
Speaker 24: Out, yeah, yeah, yeah, but no.
Speaker 12: Apart from that, I'm going good I'm actually, as you said, I'm in Frankston. I'm no longer in Melting anymore. No of a change of scenery, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fair enough. But what caused the move? Just you just wanted to change or.
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 12: Because well I actually live with disability in that and my agency that I was before had terminated, so I was a diner company.
Speaker 3: Right, okay, And so they've moved you.
Speaker 11: How was how Bankston?
Speaker 3: How was the move nice and easy or was it a lot of hard work?
Speaker 12: It was very sudden. I had to move within one day.
Speaker 3: Oh craky, okay, that is tough.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but all in oil, it was okay. It took me two hours to.
Speaker 20: Get up here.
Speaker 3: Okay. Yeah, and you're settled in nicely. How long have you been there?
Speaker 12: Well, tomorrow makes three weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're all settled in okay.
Speaker 12: Oh definitely. And the other thing too, was I'm not too happy with the Queensland state of origin.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, New South Wales one last night? Did they I haven't paid it any attention.
Speaker 12: Yeah, eighteen points to six.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, yeah exactly. All right. Well, now justin we're coming out. We've got to squeeze another break in before news. So good to hear your voice. Thanks for calling in and glad the move went smoothly. Justin now in Frankston, back in a moment, two to eleven in Perth, twenty eight after midnight in Adelaide, and two minutes to one in Melbourne. Hi Simon, last collar brought back a memory for me. I worked for a short time for Borthwick's Meat Wholesalers in their premises in Light Square in the Adelaide CBD, doing fairly basic clerical duties weighing and hanging lamb carcasses in the cold room and associated paperwork and invoicing. It was such a mundane job with good people there. I was only there for nine months during the early seventies when I heard they were soon leaving Adelaide to move back to their main office in Queensland. So there you go, Thank you, Agent two ninety five. That's lovely another memory of Bothwick's Meat Wholesalers. Get I mate to answer that fellow's question. It's the joys of evolution. People move on, music changes and even telling the time nobody rang up the sundial or that's a great line. The most important thing in life is to live in the moment, says Ben from Mayrie Good on your Ben after the news more of your calls.
Speaker 2: His Australia Overnight with Simon Owen's.
Speaker 3: Hello, they're welcome back. I've just changed headphones to try something and it is shocking. I'm just hearing myself all distorted. It's terrible and to say something to.
Speaker 4: Me, J so I can I'm not coming through in a different language, am I English?
Speaker 3: I can barely hear you. So I've got to unplug things a little bit and change that back because that's just woeful.
Speaker 27: There is.
Speaker 3: So much for that little experiment. I'll try the other ones in the next break. Hello, welcome back to our number two of Australia Overnight. Oh that was hideous. And these are good little a kg headphone that I've had, but they've been sitting in my draw unused for about four years, so maybe something's died in them. Anyway, there goes that stupid idea. One double three six nine three. We've got callers hanging on from the last hour. Anything you want to chat about, you more than welcome to give us a call. Let's get straight to your calls. After a couple of quick text messages just while we build up delay, which we are of course obligated to do. Sorry, Simeon, in my text was a bit too long. Memories of Borthwick's was from Stephen Inarberfoyle Park in Adelaide, So thank you Stephen. Yes, the text was so long it scrolled off the bottom of my screen and I couldn't actually read it, So thank you for that. Burgerrak, The Professionals, Heartbeat. These are all English detective series to add to that list. Burgerrak, The Professionals, Heartbeat, The Saint, The Sweeney Cracker, Inspect Dimorse, Midsummer Murders, says Rob, Thank you Rob, They're fantastic. That's very kind. Maggie also writes great to hear you again, Simon. I realized that your station is affiliated with the nine network. However, how flexible are you in referencing those other non affiliated shows we have? Thank you, Maggie. It's a good question because people do talk about the you know, the ninerification of our network and how it's changed ever since nine took over. Nine don't exercise any influence, any real influence over any of the hosts of shows on this network. Not once of management ever given me any direction as to what I can and can't say on air. They don't even push, as it were, that we should use nine related people instead of you know, seven related people or people from the ABC. They know there is I guess an implied pressure that some hosts might feel is, but it's never as I say, I've never been told anything by management. But I do know that some producers, you know, young producers, they don't want to annoy the bosses, so they probably think, oh, we should probably use nine people if we're getting a journalist on, but we have we have employees here. So our radio network is owned by nine for the moment, because there are rumors of a sale, so we're owned by nine at the moment. So is the formerly the Fairfax newspapers are also now owned by Channel nine as well. But here at three AW for example, we've got journalists from the Herald Sun appear on all of our programs, and we've got people who appear on Channel seven who appear on our programs as well, So there's no We're actually free to do whatever because what the priority is as a radio station, So whether it's six PR five double A who aren't actually part of the nine network, but they take the programs, whether at six PR, four BC, two GB or three A W Our priority is to do the best programming we can do for our stations, our network, So we will do whatever we can do to do the right thing by our audience, and if that involves using people from seven or the ABC or ten or you know, Foxtel or whatever, then we'll do it because that's the best content we can do. So we're not bound to run things. No one's ringing up nine management and saying can we have permission to use this person's And it's the same. You know, there's a very big editorial independence in the newspaper as well, where they say, you know, if they think that something's really crappy on Channel nine, they're free to write about it. We're quite free to criticize nine as well. On here. If there's a television show we don't like, we're free to say what we like. So thank you, Maggie. It's a good question, and I hope that answer is satisf actual. Nathan's called from Dallaston.
Speaker 10: Good I Nathan Simon, how are you yeah here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been a while.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you were talking about Phil Phil Brady and all that. I used to listen to them when for years when I listened to Phil and you're talking on the radio, Yes, yeah, like when Phil's on and you cheased me up and I'll listened to him. Yeah with you, with you, with you two on every Sunday night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, make me yeah, thanks me up there, Philip Brady. For those listening through Perth and Adelaide, Philip Brady hosted nights on three a W for you know, the thirty odd years and then and continued on with remember when and sadly, of course passed away earlier this year. You'll probably remember him best for his TV quiz shows that he did back in the sixties and seventies. But yes, sadly passed away earlier this year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so just down and a sort of salay Jimmy, he said hello to me, I was listening to you, listen to you. And also it was Tony on tonight, but it was you.
Speaker 24: I do you know who was on?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah yeah, No, Tony's partner has been a little unwell this week and it's and Tony's obviously caught the bug. So he's got the morning off, so I'm just done for the morning.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I didn't. I didn't speed to be on It's not Sunday. It's not Saturday night yet, Yeah what I thought?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And also hello and yeah, bring up and sale to Yeah.
Speaker 3: I spoke to you for good to chat to you. I hope everything's well in your work.
Speaker 6: Who's hosting with you on Sunday Sunday Nights.
Speaker 3: Andrew McLaren is now the co host of Remember When?
Speaker 19: Ok?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he and I do it together.
Speaker 6: Okay, I might ring up one stage on Sunday night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, feel free, yep, we take we take all after eleven and calls with Rick Milan doing antiques and collectibles at nine point thirty. So we can always room for a call here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, then say I'll sort of say hello to everyone.
Speaker 3: Who's listening as well, no worries. Good on you, Nathan, thanks for that. Always a pleasure to check to you. James is in Adelaide, Hi, James.
Speaker 28: Good morning, Simon.
Speaker 11: We all miss your mate.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you. It's good to be back. It's been four months, but happy to be here. And that's right.
Speaker 11: It's been a while, isn't it it has?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 28: Anyway, anyway, there's a few famous birthdays so right, because as you know, I love music. Melb has it a males time fifty years old today.
Speaker 3: Melby's fifty today? Is she Jeepers?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 28: From the Spice Girls.
Speaker 26: Yeah.
Speaker 28: A couple of sisters of the late Marca Jackson, LaToya Jackson is fifty nine today. Yeah, and Rebby Jackson is seventy five. Who's seventy five?
Speaker 11: Is Rebbe on?
Speaker 28: It's Rebby or Rebe Jackson Jackson sisters right on the same day. The next one is one of my favorite groups going back many many years in the seventies.
Speaker 3: Francis Rossi, the erring a belt here guitarist with Status Quo. I think.
Speaker 28: That's the one mate spot on the late Gary Brooker. He was from Praca A.
Speaker 3: Remember that song A White You White Pale, great song?
Speaker 28: Yeah, yeah, classic. And I'm trying to think there's another one. I'm pretty sure it's called two Fools in Love. That's another one of their songs that I liked. Yeah, yeah, Oh, there's a there's a lady called Carla DeVito. She's seventy two today. I never knew anything about her, but apparently she was a backup singer with mid Life on his back out of Hell tour.
Speaker 3: All right, Okay, was an a singer, she was a what singer?
Speaker 28: And wasn't he a great singer?
Speaker 3: He was in his day he was fabulous meat Loaf years.
Speaker 28: Yeah, the Calves too. Today she's open up for a few famous people apart from Mad Life, Bruce Springsteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't get bigger than the Boss, No, that's right.
Speaker 28: And the Being Sorrows. I've never heard of them, got no idea who they are. And also for all the notes, remember all the notes?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, your biggest selling duo in the world.
Speaker 28: That's right. So she's having for a few and also for Australian singer remember Rix Springfield with Jesse's Jesse's girl.
Speaker 3: Rick Springfield from Zoot originally, But yeah, I had a couple of solo hits and went onto a great acting career.
Speaker 21: Yeah.
Speaker 28: So yeah, I've never heard of that card of the Veto, but I have now and yeah it's so. And you know, out of a bit of useless trivia for you, out of the Jackson sisters, there's one of them that I never mentioned, right, and you know where she feed in in back in nineteen ninety four, no Playboy magazine.
Speaker 3: Oh did she must have missed that Janet Jackson.
Speaker 28: Janet Jackson mate in nineteen ninety four. I think she was about twenty mid twenties, about twenty eight at the time.
Speaker 3: Well, she is a big, gorgeous.
Speaker 28: Yeah, she's lovely girl mate. And another one a lot of people don't know is Nancy Sinatra on Playboy at the age of about fifty two or fifty three.
Speaker 3: Nancy Sinatra did did you?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 28: And when that is true, when frank'sin up of the late Frank Sinatra found out, he said, I hope you're charging them double. But I think I don't think it would have been too impressed with her appearing on Playboy. But that's what I've read, So whether it's true or not, who knows. I'd never Yeah, there's I mean, you know th google table magazine. There's so many females that a lot of people would say, no, did she?
Speaker 20: I said, yep?
Speaker 17: Well and one of them.
Speaker 3: Well, two things there. One, I don't know if I'm allowed to google Playboy magazine on a work computer, so so best that I don't do that here and now. And the other thing is if I did, I wouldn't be paying much attention to the show. So two good reasons why I won't do.
Speaker 28: That right now, put some tape on the camera, mate.
Speaker 3: Get on your James. Thanks for the call. Take care of eight years Leanne's in Minneapoliane.
Speaker 18: I finally were come from week with the weekly session. I'd just like to say to that gentleman in Perth that witness that accident that if he is troubled by it mentally to go to a counselor because these things can be traumatic for the people that happen and go basket and also the same for the one in I was in Stare today and I was thinking why the police I was going to record his an ejection at the hospital so we didn't come across the accident because it was between barrow Rat and Stall. I was wondering why there's no immediate Now I know why. You know, So if anyone's traumatized by seeing accidents and that, please go get some counseling because it can play on your mind if you're not mentally capable of dealing with it. You know, I don't mean in the sense that people aren't mentally incas in.
Speaker 19: To do so I know at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because you just never you never know what is going to trigger someone. For some people it's fine, and for others. Something that's fine for some people is very triggering for others, and vice versa. So you just you just never know. So if you if you do come across anything like that, and and and you are uneasy and uncomfortable and you know you have nightmares or just can't sleep or whatever, if it's constantly on your mind, yeah, counseling is really good. I went, I went and saw a psychiatrist psychologist, I should say. Once. I had some stuff going on in my life and most of the time I'm just a very easy, you know, whatever, whatever happens in life happens, and you just roll with the punchers type person. And I actually I went through a difficult time quite a few years ago now and I ended up going to see a psychologist. Best thing I could ever do. And I was one of those people who said, I don't really need I don't need that, that's just not for me. And I went and did it, and it was it was really good. It really really helped me. So yeah, strongly advised that people do if there's something that's just that you just can't let go of and you're really struggling with go see your psychologists.
Speaker 18: Yep, Simon, you spot on there because even if it travels you for a couple of nights. But anything like me being in rescue when I went to my first fatality, which I remember very well, names and everything, what happened, it took me two weeks to stop thinking about her and getting on. I wasn't totally stressed about it, but she was on my mind for two weeks and that was normal as a rescue operator because she was only debone beautiful looking girl. Yeah, it was quite you know, grateful how it happened. I'm not going to go into it because I don't know who's listening and I can't mention names, but yeah, it can be very distressing and they can play on your mind for some time and these days going to see someone about it. It's not shameful. Guys and ladies, ladies and gentlemen out there, if you have any depressing thoughts about anything that you used to be doing, family, want, you know, anything, go see someone. That's what they're for and it's moved my life too. Have been there, done that long before rescue.
Speaker 3: Well, it's great advice, Leanne.
Speaker 29: Thank you.
Speaker 18: You're talking about music, not music, you're talking about tonight.
Speaker 3: Well, I haven't actually brought up a topic yet. It's We're an hour and twenty two minutes into the program and I haven't actually raised anything yet. We've just been taking calls as they come.
Speaker 18: Give me a quiz question, mate, give me a quizy a quiz question.
Speaker 3: Okay. Who was the musician who composed the soundtracks to things like Weird Science, Beetlejuice, Batman, Men in Black and also the theme music for the Simpsons And you'd either know or you don't. He was also a member of the band Oingo Boingo.
Speaker 21: Longoo.
Speaker 18: I don't think that you've got me.
Speaker 3: Yep, Danny Elfman, of course, yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 18: No, I see the name on the screen of the Simpsons.
Speaker 21: So well done.
Speaker 3: Sign No thanks Leanne. Cheers will break. We'll come back more if he calls a welcome one double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two. Anything you want to chat about, but just on you know what Leanne said there about you know, and what I've just said about going to see a shrink. There a lot of people, and I used to be like that, would would say, no, it's it's a sign of weakness. It's a sign of strength if you don't go. You know, I'm tough. I can survive without going to sea a shrink. It's not strength to not go. I think you're displaying strength if you swallow what I would call foolish pride and actually admit, you know what, there's something that's on my mind and I'd like it to not be on my mind so much, so just go and talk to someone. I mean, that's what those people do. And in the instance I went to I won't name the psychologist because I don't know if she would appreciate me giving her name. But she didn't actually do a great deal of talking, but me talking to her and telling her everything that was on my mind helped me to deal with all the crap that was going on in my head. So it wasn't it's not like you go there and they say, oh, yes, do this, do that and you'll be fine. It's not actually about that. It's for me. It was just really cathartic to be able to talk to a complete stranger about the issues I was dealing with and She was sympathetic, and she asked me how I felt about these things, and I felt like a clarity when I was telling her, because hearing myself saying all this stuff just really helped me. And that's one thing that I'm really proud of there, is that I actually admitted that I wasn't coping and went to seek help. And I don't think that was a moment of weakness for me. I think that was the strongest moment I've had, so highly recommend it if you're struggling people. Anyway, we'll break back with more stuff. Well, we should throw in a topic Jay after the break. We'll see how we go with that to back in a sec. Thank you, doctor John for the text. I deserve a slap hard across the face because I made a mistake. I mentioned Danny Elfman and said that he did the soundtracks for Weird Science, Beetlejuice, Men in Black and all of that. He didn't do the soundtrack for Weird Science. You are right, doctor John. Ira Newborn did the soundtrack for Weird Science. Danny Elfman with Oingo Boingo had a song called Weird Science. That's my mistake. That's on me and you are absolutely spot on. Thank you for the correction, because I hate it when I'm wrong, which frankly happens too often. Simon's in colic. I Simon, yeah, I'm good.
Speaker 30: I mean.
Speaker 11: Car Z was a was it yep?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 29: Oh man, yeah, and I know I am oh, yeah, I saw. I have an experience when I was at my boy at school, but a little boy just start school. Yeah, and then started, yeah, I'm go ahead. Good to see that he's got his sister go off the bus. I was thinking, went around the back of the bus. He jumped off the bus and went around the front the bus wanted to off and when are we? Oh cracky and yeah and yeah I'll go out. That was the non at school and mom and dad at home. Yeah, I just thought, yeah, I don't have that lady was talking about that, and we had that man and then then that boy from my boat.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Simon, it's really it's a quite a muffled phone line this morning, so I'm having a bit of trouble.
Speaker 29: Hearing, but just probably in my voice to someone.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's that's good. Be clear now.
Speaker 29: Yeah, I was saying, just brought back to me that little boy, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sad and.
Speaker 29: Anyway, Yeah, I got to go to the dentist this week and the malogue not coming the right way, it's coming side wise mouth.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, that's a bit weird, bit uncomfortable.
Speaker 13: Is it.
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 29: About the third big bottom two pulled out in the male of Greg out from coming sidewise.
Speaker 3: My daughter went to the dentist today or yesterday, i should say now for Melbourne listeners. Still today in Perth my daughter went to the dentist four hundred bucks for an hour in the chair.
Speaker 26: Good money, Well, we love it.
Speaker 3: Well, it's I don't think it would be a great job really, because you're dealing with people's mouths, which aren't the most pleasant things to begin with, and generally you're dealing with people's mouths when they're at their worst. So it'd be a pretty gruesome job, I would think. And and the technology behind it, I don't think dentistry seems to have come that come along as well as other parts of medicine. You know, it's all They still to take a tooth out, They still grab it with pliers and just try and rip it out of your head. It's not it doesn't seem like that, surely, there's a better way now.
Speaker 29: But when when one first, that old dentist doing it just crunched and he left him half the words in the in the gum for six months or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, dentistry is not fun.
Speaker 29: He didn't put me by yeah I'm going one noodle and he just went yank.
Speaker 25: Well, brick.
Speaker 3: Well. I had a crown put on a tooth. And when they've done that thing where they take it off, they do the mold and then they send away and the crown gets made by some other company or something, and then it comes back and they put it in. And when the dentist has put it in, it's not gone on perfectly straight. So it's in the right spot, but it's just not quite aligned. And so there's a bit of a gap that anytime I eat chicken, I then have to floss immediately after chicken or meat or anything, because there's one part of where the food just gets stuck every time. And if I don't floss straight away, I sit there with You know how your tongue gets drawn to places in your mouth, like if you chip a tooth and you can feel it sharp. You just spend your whole life with your tongue going right where it is, so I feel these little bits of meat stuck between the tooth and the you know, the tooth next to it. So my tongue's just always there. So I can't eat meat unless I've got a toothpick handy, So I have four toothpicks. And oh in your wallet. Oh, I don't know if that's hygienic. Is it keeping a toothpick in your wallet? That's you've got money. You've got money that everyone else has fingered. You've got to that's years old.
Speaker 20: I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's fair enough. All right, good on your simon, good to chat. Thanks mate, take care. Twenty five to two already twenty five to midnight in Perth, and five after one in Adelaide. Maggie's in Adelaide. We'll chat chat to you after the break, Maggie. And after that the board's empty. So let's throw something in now to see if we can encourage you to call what we used to put coins in? Actually there's a bit of a setup to that topic, but that's the line, the pitch line, what did we used to put coins in? I'll tell you my story and we'll take your calls after this, and we're taking your calls one double three six nine three now just before we do get back to your call, though, what did we used to put coins in?
Speaker 23: Now?
Speaker 3: The reason this came up was I love perusing auction sites, and a week or so ago, Jay or two weeks ago, I think it was now, one of the auction sites I looked at had those vending not a vending machine in the classical term, but you know the giant bubble gum balls that you used to get out of the machines that were outside Supermarke. So it's this thing. It comes up to about your chest, and it's a big circular thing, and there's the little thing where you'd put your twenty cents in and your twist the thing and then a gum ball would drop out, run down a spiral to the little door at the bottom, and then you'd reach in and get your gumball. Well, one of those came up at the auction side, yeah, yeah, full of gumballs, and next to it or the next item, so obviously being sold by the same person. The next item was a chopper chup one. So it's a cylindrical one and it's full of chopper chups and I don't know, I don't quite know how that one works where you whether you get to choose your flavor or not. But the same thing, it's got the little the little coin mechanism. And I wanted to buy it. And Taylor, the producer for the Dennis Walter program on three OW, which precedes this one, she was saying, Oh, you've got to buy it. You've got to buy it. And I said, what am I going to do with all those gumballs? They'll go off? And where can I put it? I've got nowhere at home to put these things? Did the gumballs?
Speaker 4: Remember they had there was one a couple of items in them that were covered in plastic. Were those gumbles or were they little toy Yeah?
Speaker 3: So you could also get little toys in balls. Yeah yeah, No, this this one was proper gumballah yeah, running around. Yeah, so this was This was the big one. So it's not the little ones. You used to see those machines where there'd be four of them or six of them all in a little stand, and they were smaller ones. It wasn't those. This was the one that you know, the chopper chup one. And this gumball one came up to your chest. They were big items, and I love stuff like that. I would love that in my house if I had a big house. That's why I would have stuff like that in there. For no reason other than I think it looks really cool.
Speaker 4: And as you're walking past on your way to the shower, on the toilet or something, Yeah you want.
Speaker 3: A chopper chop? Yeah? Have your friends come over for dinner whilst I'm cooking the roast, would you like a chopper chop? It's only twenty cents? And then play the atari? Yeah exactly. So anyway, so I saw those and I actually did think because when Taylor was saying, oh, you should get them, you should get them, because she's i think, also impulsive like me in that way. I said, well, I've got nowhere to put them, and she said put them here. They would actually be really good just in the foyer here, and then the staff could have a gumball whenever they want it. But again, the thing is who carries a twenty cent piece nowadays to put in a gumball machine? No one. So so I didn't end up doing it as much as I would love to.
Speaker 4: We sometimes you see those machines with the you know you can put your card on.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: It just takes away the authenticityity, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, they you can pay with the cards. Cars for the kids, Yeah yeah, the little firem and sam and that where the little kid sits and it goes around in a circle. Yeah, tapping tapping going on those just isn't the same. It used to be so much fun as a kid to put the coins in. Yeah, here it go, yep, yeah exactly. There was a physical reaction to it was so much better. So I didn't get it, but it did get me thinking about things we used to put coins in. Because I've now got in the dashboard in the center console of my car, I've got about six bucks worth of coins that are just sitting there that I don't use because you don't use coins in parking meters anymore, you don't, you know, I have no reason to have cash, So somehow I've got change over the journey, and I never do anything with it. I can't do anything with my change. Well, if you get one and put it here, we know you'll be I'll be putting of my own money in my own machines. But anyway, So you got me thinking, what did we used to put coins in? As a talkback topic? One double three eight eighty two or one double three six nine three? What did we used to put coins in? Do you have any suggestions? We've got calls coming through. Let's get back to them. Mark is in Hampton East, could I Mark?
Speaker 29: I'll get it there.
Speaker 31: How are you going?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Good, thanks, that's good.
Speaker 31: I'm just thinking about a coin situation. I think I'm putting coins to get or toys out of the little plastic container with a little piece of paper and it back in the day when I was thirteen years old.
Speaker 25: Yes, I just had to bring that up.
Speaker 31: They used to have a little dinosaurs in them, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Little Tony dinosaurs and stuff. Yeah, and others would have rings in them, and you get the occasional super well and yeah, that's right.
Speaker 32: Yeah.
Speaker 31: We used to become a part of the community just buying. It was a very social thing to buy.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if there was a bunch of your kids walking home after school and you walk past the shops and you had coins, you'd know you'd have a look and see what each other got. It was a good little thing.
Speaker 10: That's right.
Speaker 31: I always used to think they were bad luck, but then I found down they're actually not bad luck, not good luck, but there was something to buy to put on a key ring. When you get home at the end of the day, you get a little dinosaur, perhaps hypathetically speaking on a key ring, pushing a good mood to go inside and perhaps looking at refrigerator and have an idea or something to buy it for the refrigerator.
Speaker 3: For example, Yeah, what we get fridge magnets or something in them? Did you?
Speaker 31: Or if a dinosaur came in a little container the coin goes in the machine. I find it, ironically somewhat into chemistry.
Speaker 29: And I find that.
Speaker 31: Not only is it a dinosaur, I'm not going to go buy a dinosaur, but in my head would give me an idea to go. And goodness, it's almost a holocaust. Seemed to say, why don't you, Why don't I go buy a bit of lettuce? And what I bought a little dinosaur and a bit of a container for putting a bit of coin in the machine. Because the mass in a coin you put in a machine goes in the head with a dinosaur. Put the mass in the coin with a dinosaur. Give an idea for me to put something in the fridge.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, that's mathematics. It's a unique reaction. I can't say it would have stirred the same thing in me. But we're all different, aren't we.
Speaker 31: Well, yeah you had the same idea.
Speaker 3: No, no, I had that idea. I must a been.
Speaker 11: Yes, okay, all right, get on your mark.
Speaker 3: Good to hear your voice.
Speaker 12: Thank you you too far.
Speaker 3: Thanks mate, take care of cheers. Maggie's in Adelaide, Hi, Maggie.
Speaker 33: Oh dear Simon, Yeah, lovely, ju back on in this time and so thank you.
Speaker 3: That's very good.
Speaker 33: You may not like this, lost, but take you.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I love doing this. I enjoy feeling in for Tony when I get the chance.
Speaker 17: Mm hmmm hmm.
Speaker 33: Okay, so I can after listening our bipath excuse me, psych psychologist, communications, dentistry, dentures, coffeing and all that and vending machines before I get to the recent main reason for en in the coin slot one, what about the old piggy bait that we used to have?
Speaker 8: You do you really are? You don't know how you're younger than me.
Speaker 3: I'm fifty three.
Speaker 33: Yeah, but did you know about the piggy banks.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely, yeah, I had a Commonwealth Bank piggy bank. Yeah, so not a piggy bank in the official sense of the word, but a money box. I did have a piggy bank as a kid, like a literally a pig shaped money box. But yeah, the main one I had was the Commonwealth Bank tin one.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 33: Yeah, well the piggy bait was a tin one too. Yeah yeah, yeah, it's from my recollection.
Speaker 15: But I'm a lot older than you.
Speaker 33: Yes, this much more I could say about any of those topics. But let me get back to.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 33: I'm a elderly I'm not tech savvy.
Speaker 21: Now.
Speaker 33: In recent weeks, I've been getting from like my I've got two phones.
Speaker 20: If this phone.
Speaker 33: Is my smart phone, Google, your androids is infected with viruses critical virus alert seven one one the others as to remove.
Speaker 19: Now what do I do?
Speaker 33: How can I get rid of that? And how can I shut it down?
Speaker 18: What do I do?
Speaker 33: From an old lady who lives alone, who's not tax set.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look what you basically need to do, Maggie. I don't have an Android phone, so I don't get those. I've got an Apple phone and I get text messages occasionally, and I can just get a button that says report this is spam and block the sender. So I don't know if you've got the same functionality on an Android phone. The advice I basically give in this circumstance, Maggie is find a teenage kid in your neighborhood and they'll be able to They'll be able to clear it all up for you and hopefully show you how to do it in a couple of easy steps. That's probably probably the best way. But if anyone has any advice for Meggie, feel free to give us a buzz one double three six hine three or one double three eighty two. Got a break back soon and Arthur has called in from west Footscraga.
Speaker 19: Arthur, good morning, Simon and Jaye. Nice to have you on the program again. Do you still have your vending machines?
Speaker 3: Yes, I've still got my Pepsi vending machine.
Speaker 19: Yes, yes, Wiiamstown can have an option of paying parking meders by card or coins. They've still gone there. But the one that comes to my mind always is the the big boxes that you used to put coins in the for the gas and the electricity between sixties and seventies.
Speaker 3: Really, I wondered if anyone would bring about those. It's before my time or I've never experienced them, but I knew they were a thing.
Speaker 19: Yeah, And as I mentioned before, like I had a friend in rock Bank caravan. I don't know there's still there now, but it was mid sorry twenty ten or something, and they've still gone in the caravan. Perhad them, I should say, so, I don't know this still there in the caravan Rock Bank. I was surprised for the gas and electricity. I got a shock that doesn't even exist.
Speaker 3: And I understand there were also in the early days you could have pay coin operated televisions as well.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I heard that.
Speaker 19: I didn't see the coin operator once. But funny thing with the machines. If you had the gas and you hadn't had the coins, and they would go right down and you'll put the pennies or shillings or twenty cents whenever everyone they would go back up when you put the coins in. It would go right down or even turn off sometimes until you put the coins in the machine in the box.
Speaker 3: I should say, isn't it interesting? I wonder what they did the switch over from decimal to decimal currency from imperial currency. If everything was coin operated, then how did they manage that? I wonder that that switchover.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I know it was. It's yeah, it was you could kids are kids my pay card to break it. It was unbreakable. It was trying to get the coins out. Yeah, so funny. It was just unbreakable, like a you know, like a solid solid bullet or something. They were just unbreaka all those things you wanted to get, the money to get fish and chips or whatever you wanted to get. It was so funny. He's got up to mischief. Unfortunately.
Speaker 3: I remember as a kid the local phone booth was usually vandalized as well from people trying to break in with a screwdriver to get the coins out. Yeah.
Speaker 19: Well they wouldn't get much of that now because Telsa phone public phones are all free as you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is good, it's yeah, but most of them have been turned into free Wi Fi things too, so you can connect.
Speaker 19: The phone boxes have got to be in certain areas by law for the disadvantage like somehowder that may not be able to use the pay plane or can't afford it, or just people that have inconvenience. So I know they've got to be. They can't get rid of all often. They've got to be certain ones in a certain vicinity of certain areas, for mainly for the elderly people. Just in case, there you go.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize that. I didn't know that was that was the case. All right, I've got to get another breakaway, Arthur. But lovely, excuse me, lovely to chat as always. It's coming up to five to two. Thank you Janet for the text, Simon. The best way to fix the problem the meat in between your teeth. Chew a piece of gum until it goes soft. Press it against the two teeth where the meat is lodged. The soft chewing gum pushes the meat out the other side. No discomfort like you can get from using toothpicks. Thank you, Janet. But we talked earlier about things that trigger people. Chewing gum makes me want to heave my guts out. I can't cope with chewing gum. And when I'm standing there having a chat with someone who's going just chewing away and a piece of chewing gum, I want to barf all over their shoes. It really is something that I've struggled with my whole life. If someone gets in my car and their chewing gum, I have to put the window down because the smell does my head in ugh. I just can't cope with chewing gum. Just one of those little quirks in life. I did say, everyone's different. It's coming up to two o'clock. That's midnight and half past one in other places.
Speaker 1: Go leave me bradless.
Speaker 21: Now.
Speaker 2: This is Australia Urban Eyed with Simon.
Speaker 3: Owen's and it's seven after two in Melbourne, seven after midnight in Perth and twenty three to two in South Australia. Good to have you on board this morning, if you've just woken up, if you've just joined us, or if you're just hopping into bed at this time of the morning. Tony McManus is off this morning. His partner's been a little unwell during the week and it seems the bug ha's crossed over to him. So Tony's off this morning. He should be back tomorrow, but if he's not, he'll be back on Monday for sure. So in the meantime you've got me. Jay is here as well. We're taking new calls. Three eight eighty two or one double three six nine three. They're the two numbers you can call us on. Some people, JAY are very alert and very aware, and we forget just how closely some people pay attention. A text from Agent five eight zero Simon hates two thousand and one A Space Odyssey and chewing gum. Yeah, that's absolutely true. I have often spoken about my loathing of the movie two thousand and one A Space Odyssey.
Speaker 4: Was there any chewing of gum in the movie?
Speaker 3: Not that, not that I recall, thank god, because then I'd have to hate it even more.
Speaker 4: It was a few tense moments, Yeah, yeah, there were it would call for a chewing gum.
Speaker 3: I yess but exactly?
Speaker 14: But is that?
Speaker 3: Have you watched that movie? Do you like that movie?
Speaker 4: I think, to be honest, I haven't actually seen it. I've seen bits and pieces of it.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 4: You know what's the red light called again?
Speaker 3: How thou the computer thing? Spaceship? Yeah, but that's about it.
Speaker 4: That's my knowledge of Spado Space Odyssey.
Speaker 3: Well, you're not missing anything. It was a drag.
Speaker 4: It was an absolute drag of a movie. I found it was a bit like Aliens. You know that silence, that quite spacey sound. I know there was a few scenes like that.
Speaker 3: It was very quiet. Yeah, it was. Well, it starts with I think monkey's breaking a rock or something I can't really early even remember, and I think there's there's there's some theme that goes through it, going from stone age man to cave men days to the future where computers will kill us or elon mask and all that. Yeah. Yeah, it may even have been in it, but I just I just found it really boring. The other movie it was the other one that did my head in was the original Star Trek movie. Because I'm a Star Trek fan. I love a bit of Star Trek. But the movie the Special Effect X were so new and exciting with you know, spaceships and stuff. There's like a twenty minute sequence where the Enterprise or some spaceship is docking and it shows it moving into place and clamps coming out, and I just just parked the bloody thing and got on with the plot. Will you press a few buttons? Yeah, it was just did my head in. So yeah, so there you go. But somebody has remembered I can't remember the last time I brought up two thousand and one of Space Odyssey. But because I've just mentioned before the news that I hate chewing gum, somebody has agent five eight zero who's pointed that out. So good on you, thank you for that. Chris of Broadmeadows has also texted three that he worked at the Two Way Cafe making pizza slices and tables had jukeboxes that you used to put twenty cents in to play top ten hit music. Yes, the little jukebox. There was two different things. As Chris points out, the tables had little mini one where you could select songs. I reckon, that's pretty cool. I'd love to have one of those at home, just sitting on a table. Yeah, just a little mini jukebox thing. But I remember because my grandparents on my dad's side were shock and alcoholics and they lived at Philip Island just over the bridge. I've forgotten the name of the suburb there, just over the bridge on Philip Island, But we would walk across the bridge with them to go to the local pub in San Remo and they'd sit there at the bar getting absolutely wasted whilst they were babysitting my sister and myself, and they give us money to go and put in the jukebox just to keep us entertained. So I had a great time growing up with the occasional visits to the grandparents because I got cash to play with the jukebox. I also remember there was a cigarette vending machine in the pub as well, which I don't think you see them around anymore. They're probably illegal, I would guess, given you'd be able to buy cigarettes without without having an ID check. If there were vending machines.
Speaker 4: For cigarettes and no ID checks back in the old days.
Speaker 3: N that'd be a good collective we'll to have too, wouldn't it. A vending machine for cigarettes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all the different brands on there, Yeah, brands sitting on the Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the good old days where advertising was allowed. We could advertise different ways to kill ourselves. All right, let's get back to your calls. One double three six nine three one double three eight eighty two and keep the text coming on zero four double seven six nine three six nine three. Jim's in West Foot's great.
Speaker 20: Hey, Jim, Hi, Simon and Jay first or all. I have to correct myself about earlier when I told you when I worked at both WICKSLS on Somerville Road, there was quite a few meat works because I was a bit tired. It was in Brooklyn, both Wicks, not Somerville Road, where a lot of people from those years would remember it. But also about boxes. When I was younger, I had the same Commonwealth ones you had, the steel ones, and I still have two here and now I have one designed like a house and one with a large Scottish black terrier. Put coins in when I call them up. I'm with the Commonwealth Bank, so when I call them up, I take them and put them in a machine. Accounts how much you got in coins gives you a slip to the can you put into your account. But vending machines you and Jay would probably still remember Flinderstree and Spencer Street will before Southern Cross and nearly every station every platform had vending machines where you could buy cigarettes, or they had vending machines where you could buy hot coffees, hot chocolates, twist His Chips chocolates and another vending machine which you might remember, Simon. I saw only very few people win on it. There was a machine in a lot of amusement centers, and I think even in when you used to going before going into a cinema. They might have had it a machine with a like a hook hand that you'd have to get the prizes with. Only saw very few people. If you'd get it, it would come out the slide and you'd win it. But as I said, I saw very very very very hard. I forgot the name of the machine, but you probably know what I'm talking about, like a hook hand that you're apt to get the prize you were after and it would come out. I saw that in quite a few places too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they were good. I did, all right. There was one of those machines that must have been calibrated fairly well in favor of the of the person playing the game, because most of them, when that claw drops down, it lifts the claw up before the claw closes properly, so that most of the prizes just fall through. But there was one where I got a heap of stuffed toys from my kids because it always seemed to grab something. I can't remember where that was. I think just at a shopping center somewhere, but I love those old claw toys.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 20: Yeah, well you had better luck than I did, Simon, But nearly everyone I saw a player couldn't get it. But if I think even you and Jaild remember Flinders Street, every platform had vending machines everywhere. Yeah, cigarette machines, and you could get your coffees. You had chocolates, your twists, your chocolates, your potato chips. Nearly every platform had them, even North Melbourne and even Sunshine. All stations had the vending machines where you could get something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would assume, I would assume most still do. I don't know. I don't really travel by public transport much or by train anyway, so but I would imagine that most would, you know, at least the bigger ones would. I honestly don't know. People could tell us. I guess the best. I don't drink coffee. But there was a place where my daughter trained for a year while she was playing basketball. Teams rotate and change every season, but she was allocated to a court for her team to train on, and it was in a venue that we didn't normally go too much, And in the foyer of that was just this dumpy, little coffee machine. It didn't look like much, but it made hot chocolate as well as coffee, and so I bought a hot chocolate there for two dollars once and it was a freezing cold day. I had a bit of a yuck taste in my mouth, and I thought, I'll get a hot chocolate to drink in the car on the way to work after I dropped my daughter off at her basketball train and it was the greatest hot chocolate I have ever had in my whole life. So every week after that, when I dropped her off a basketball training, I would get a hot chocolate. And there were days where I didn't know it was out of my way, but I would drive there to get a hot chocolate on the way to work anyway, even when my daughter didn't have basketball training, because it was just so delicious. And then one day I turned up and the machine was gone and replaced with another bigger, better machine and the hot chocolate and that was appalling. So I don't know what it was. I don't know who made the machine. I don't know where the hot chocolate came from, but oh I miss it to this day.
Speaker 20: Another question I want to ask you, Simon, which I've never asked you, because you knew Philip for those years, and I heard Phillips say many times his father was a psychiatrist. Did you ever get to meet Philip's father when he was alife.
Speaker 3: No, Phil's father died in nineteen seventy something. So I was a child when Phil's ah dad passed away.
Speaker 20: Sadly, Okay, I didn't know what what he passed away in. But yeah, but I heard him. Did I? Did hear when I Philip did say his father was a psychiatrist many times, didn't I?
Speaker 3: Yes, Yeah he did, Yes, Yes he was here. Wilfred Brady.
Speaker 20: All right, okay, thank you, thank you, good on your Jim.
Speaker 3: Thanks for that. Hi Simon talking about the topic from last hour. Things we put things we used to put coins in. Hi, Mike says Hi Simon. Has anyone mentioned condom machines in pubs and clubs? No, they haven't until you have Mike. There you go. Thank you for that. Yeah, I've got nothing to add.
Speaker 14: On, so.
Speaker 3: Excuse me, Thank you, thank you for that. Mike. All right, break Sandra, David and Bob will be up on the other side of the break. More calls are welcome one double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty to open the podbear door as well.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
Speaker 3: That's true, Tiffy center text through saying, speaking of chopper chups, when I was eating them as a kid, I used to play with the sticks as toys because I didn't have toys growing up. Really, I loved them. That's a bit sad, isn't it, using chopper chopsticks as toys. I found that a bit touching, Tiffy. But thank you for the text. Sandra's in Frankston. Hi, Sandra, Well, good.
Speaker 34: Morning, Simon.
Speaker 12: How are you are.
Speaker 29: I'm good, that's good.
Speaker 8: I had.
Speaker 34: One of those machines, you know, you put your gumbles.
Speaker 3: The gumball machine. Yeah, when my.
Speaker 34: Kids were little, but we never put gumballs, and we put little smarties or chopper balls, you know. Okay, Yes, I left the colored paper in it because if they made them, it's just paper, little and.
Speaker 19: We never put in it.
Speaker 34: Jeff got from work and he put ten little Smarties in it, so they had a turn and turning the wheel each and they had five smarties each, not every day. It was a treat for him, but they loved it.
Speaker 14: It is.
Speaker 3: It's such a cute. They're such cute.
Speaker 34: Nice in the kitchen too, you know.
Speaker 7: So that was what I got it.
Speaker 3: That's that's what I reckon. They just look great. I love stuff like that. Another thing I was looking at. Sorry, I was going to keep.
Speaker 34: It from My son turned fifty yesterday and I thought there'd been a nice pens.
Speaker 3: For Yeah, no it is. It's a great it's a great one everything.
Speaker 34: Yeah, and all your family.
Speaker 12: Wealth on them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're all very good, thank you. Yeah, Yeah, everyone's very happy. Xavier is the youngest of my two grandkids, Archie and Xavier.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 18: Wow, yeah, how how.
Speaker 3: Xavier turns to in about three or four months and an Archie's Archie's turning four or so. Yeah, they're growing up way too quickly.
Speaker 34: My nephew's little daughter, Coca, she's beautiful, the kids named. Yeah, she's nine months old.
Speaker 3: And she's walking walking at nine.
Speaker 34: Months, holding onto the couch walking.
Speaker 3: Wow, okay, so not not walking independently.
Speaker 34: Yet yet, but she stands up and she rocks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's very impressive at nine months. Normally it's it's around about the first birthday that they're brave enough to take a step or two. So she sounds pretty advanced there.
Speaker 34: She's just a little girl.
Speaker 35: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, we had when our when our first was born. It's always harder with your first because you you're worried all the time that your kid might not be normal. So my wife and a friend of hers who used to work with her, had our first children on the exact same day at the same hospital. So my wife we had Shannon, and my wife's friend, Lizzie had a bub as well. And I can't remember Lizzie's bub's name, but about nine months later after we had them, Shannon never crawled. Shannon would lie there on her stomach winge and roll over onto her back, but she never crawled. So she started walking at the age of one, but she just never crawled. She'd just lie there and she would roll around a room, but she'd never crawl. At eight months, Lizzie bought her daughter over for afternoon tea or whatever, and her child could walk at eight months. So they've put the two kids on the floor. She didn't tell us, but we've put the two kids on the floor opposite each other, looking at each other. My daughter's lying there like a little lump of nothing, not moving at all, just staring at this other baby, and this other baby just pulls itself up on to its knees, pushes its hands on the floor and stands up, and we're looking at her, going, oh my god, our daughter is an idiot. We were so paranoid that I what have we done? What aren't we doing properly? We must be bad parents. But no, she turned out all right.
Speaker 34: I'll make this a laugh. My dad with Coco being born, that was his one hundredth grand great grandchild.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a plague.
Speaker 34: Yeah, tell me I've got two.
Speaker 32: Two grand kids.
Speaker 34: Yeah, I only had the two boys grandchildren, and they've had boys, both of them. And there's one hundred love. Wow, that's explained children and one hundred great grandchildren.
Speaker 3: Forty six grandkids and one hundred great grandkids. That is amazing.
Speaker 34: And we'd like to put that in the middle of the magazine.
Speaker 3: Oh, just try and remember their names.
Speaker 34: It's just it's And my dad was going to put one of those things on the back of the window of the car with a many kids, you gotten dogs and everything is said, there be too many.
Speaker 3: That's wonderful. Lead a bus just to put the stickers on the sand I spent.
Speaker 34: Did I haven't spoken to you since I come out of hospital, have I?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 13: No.
Speaker 8: I was into three weeks.
Speaker 34: In for instant hospital, five weeks at Rehebs, and then I went to what they called the transition because they wouldn't let me come home on my own. I was in the back brace for eight months. Next Sord where I lived, I picked a glass up off my sink to put in the capboards and I turned and I couldn't move, and I eventually got to my car and went down. The doctors in tears sent me for X rays and I said I can't walk that though. I said, go up there and see what's with your back. And I had to ring him back on the Saturday morning and he said, nothing wrong with your back. I said, well, I have come around straightener. I can't move off my bed anyway. I rang an ambulance and they took me up to Frankston and they gave me those green whistles on the way up there, and then they had four doctors come in and they're all holding me up here. I fractured the T twelve for two eleven, the T nine and the T seven.
Speaker 3: Just by turning yeah.
Speaker 34: And then I did the C two and C three at the top of my spine right, so I spent literally a year in hospital.
Speaker 3: Wow that ended your breakdancing career obviously.
Speaker 34: Oh yes, I had helped coming three days a week now. Yeah, because I'm not glad to lip or sweep and it annoys me because they don't do my house out like that. Oh yeah, yeah, I's did not swept around, you know, and things.
Speaker 19: Can I do?
Speaker 34: Just watch them now?
Speaker 33: I'm good.
Speaker 32: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, it's lovely to hear from you. It's it's great to catch up. And yeah, well what a rough truck you've had, but you're home at least.
Speaker 34: Have you got now? Did you have good funeral?
Speaker 3: Have I got hair? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Did you grow here?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 3: I can't grow here? Well I can, but it's on my.
Speaker 34: Back because I watched the funeral TV you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, no I had my head well I took my head off in the church. But yeah no, no no hair on me. Yeah, no worries. Get on your Sandra, see later. Lovely to catch up, take care cheers after the break back to your calls, and we'll also check in with Craig Gabriel and see how things are going at Roland Garross back in a second jay setting the scene very nice as we cross to the French Open, where Craig Gabriel has the greatest job in the world reporting in on the tennis from Roland Garross gut I, Craig, I love that song. It is a wonderful piece by Edith Pf.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Absolutely. Did you ever see the film Love Enn Rose?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 10: I haven't, No, it is an standing film. At one Marianne courtilard the Oscar for her portrayal of Edith Prf.
Speaker 3: Oh, I might have to add that to my list of movies that I have to watch, which is quite a long list. But I recom that sounds good.
Speaker 10: Well yeah, and then and then ci Dion's version for the other Edith Pf song at the Olympics, that was just outstandingly brilliant.
Speaker 3: Well, you can't go wrong Celine Dion either, ken you. She's just just magnificent herself. So yeah, well you're not just the tennis man. You're quite cultured here, Craig.
Speaker 10: Yeah, cultured with a k.
Speaker 3: Now. So well, let's get down to Tintex. The French Open is on, of course, in the second round. I think we're du now, yeah, and.
Speaker 10: We've had quite a few results through already today we've had a couple of Australians on court one up, one down. On the two that played Ala tom Lanovitch unfortunately lost. That was on court sleep Shelf, which is the center court over here, and she lost to Justine Paldini, who was the finest here last year and is in pretty good form. Here's six three sixty three. And then on the positive side, Alexie Popprin, who's the twenty fifth seed, has reached the third round of the French Open for the first time and he did Alejandro Tabilo of Chile seven five, six, three, six fours. That's it for the Australians today. But there's been a lot of other big names on court, Carlos Alcaraz winning in four sets, and then soon after that, Eager schrion Tek defeating Emma Radicano six one, six two. It's a bit of a better performance than Radicano had against srion Tek at the Australian Open this year. But you know, shrian Tek has just proven too good when she comes up against Radakanu and the.
Speaker 3: You know is what's his name, alex demanoir, Yeah, he's playing. He hasn't played yet, has he today? Is he tomorrow.
Speaker 10: Now he's on tomorrow. That a very French way of pronouncing his name. And why not, Well, I contended that we've got about three Australians on tomorrow because I've already got tomorrow's order of play, and alex Dimenov is on court to play. Alexander Public of Kazakhstan used to be a Russian, but the Kazakhs brought him and he's now a Kazakh and Demonor goes into that with a three no record against Public, and Public is like, look, I'm saying this in a polite way. No phone calls. He is a nutcase on the court. You do not know what you will get from Alexander Public and the other two Australians on tomorrow. My time, I'm talking Adam Walton from Brisbane up against another one. You don't know what to expect from Andre Rubelev and one woman tomorrow, Daria Cassakina, who's going to be settling in Melbourne. She has gained Australian citizenship formerly Russian and it's all happened in the last couple of months. But she will be playing Liol Jean Jean. Does that sound French or.
Speaker 3: Does it, Liver, I don't think you get more French than that. Yeah, exactly, that's marvelous. The what was I going to ask? The weather? So how's the weather over there at the moment.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's been a bit iffy. If you get one of those unbelievably beautiful days of springtime in Paris, you cannot better it. And we've had one morning like that, but otherwise it's been a little bit of a cast. It's been Conditions have been a bit heavy, bit damp. There's been one or two interruptions for drizzle, so that's sort of exciting. But the forecasters are suggesting the next three four days things will start to get a bit warmer.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that's all right. That's uh, that's looking looking good for the French Open. Then, Craig, what do you do to relax because your job's so good when you break away from tennis, Like do you go and watch a bit of hockey or something or no no, no.
Speaker 11: No, no no.
Speaker 14: No.
Speaker 10: Look what I if I'm if I get a bit of time at it during a tournament and when it comes to an event like the French Open, Australian Open, Wimbledon, et cetera. There's there is no time in this role. The stuff happening all the time. You cannot you can't break away. But my interests are antiques. I have a collection of Asian art and antiques. So I will, you know, if I'm in London, I'll try and make it a point of going to one of the auction.
Speaker 20: Houses just to look.
Speaker 10: It's free to get in. And this is a serious tip for anybody. You know, you can go to Southbasa and go to Christie's. You can go to Phillips or Bonhams or wherever and you can wander through their galleries and you're up close and personal some of the most amazing art, you know. So I'll I'll go through there and have a look. Or I love walking down New Bond Street. It's a great street. So that's the sort of thing I like to try and get a way to do. And you know, the theater in London is just wonderful.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, It's not quite at the level that you do Craig, obviously because you go to those auction houses with the high end stuff. But I love trawling auction sites.
Speaker 10: Online and absolutely the same.
Speaker 3: And I was I was talking earlier about the fact that I came very close to buying a gumball machine, a chest high old fashioned gumball machine and a chopper chup machine because I just love odd bits and pieces like that. So not not so much art for me, but but just going to auction houses and stuff is a great hobby.
Speaker 35: It really is.
Speaker 10: I mean for me, I grew up in Asia, and you know, so I'm totally comfortable in Asia, and that developed my appreciation and love of Asian art and and you know, porcelain and Chinese blue and white, it's et cetera. So you know that that's what got me going on on the whole thing. And my parents were were collectors as well.
Speaker 20: So just filtered down.
Speaker 3: Have you got anything sitting at home in the laundroom on a pedestal that is the centerpiece of your collection?
Speaker 10: No, I wouldn't, not necessarily in that way, but there are I could say a few pieces that I'm extremely fond of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nice, Nice. Is there something that's on your list that you're you're looking for?
Speaker 28: No?
Speaker 10: I I don't normally go in with that frame of mind. If I'm if I go, it's something that will just catch my eye because again, you don't know. You know, as I'm saying about Alexander Publick, you don't know what you're going to come across or what you're going to get. So I'm just going with an open mind and you know, maybe get lucky. I mean, it's like I was in I was in Iran a few years ago, and I had a guide there, as you should do if you ever go there, because it's it's the best way to do things, And he took me to a few of the markets and I ended up buying three carpets. It just it's just that way. Clocks are another thing, you know, some amazing clocks you see, and sometimes I have found it very hard to resist.
Speaker 3: Oh that sounds lovely. And I go to auction houses and have a look at stuff, but I go there with an open mind and an empty wallet, so I don't tell.
Speaker 10: It was Yeah, that's what I should. I should definitely be leaving the credit cards behind.
Speaker 3: It's the safest way. Yeah, you just never know when that impulse purchase happens. It's always a dangerous thing. Craig. We've better leave you to it, but thank you for the update and interesting chat too about the other side. Of Craig Gabriel. Always a pleasure to.
Speaker 10: Chat likewise, and I can tell you there's a bit of dappled sun trying to get out at the moment.
Speaker 3: Okay, well we'll let you get back to enjoying the fabulous job you do.
Speaker 10: Thanks a lot.
Speaker 3: Good on your Craig, Craig Gabriel there at the tennis at Roland Garris. Your calls one double three six nine three. David's in Israel.
Speaker 17: Hi David, I'm in superstar.
Speaker 11: How are you good?
Speaker 3: Thank you yourself.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I'm very pleased with you're on and to listen to you. But I wish tonally realized that he gets better soon. Not very pleasant, No.
Speaker 3: No, poor bugger. He'll be right though. He's tough as an ox.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I wish him well. I definitely wish him well. I'm really glad to hear you on So two thousand and one A space obviously.
Speaker 11: Hell, do you know what hell was?
Speaker 3: Well? A computer, wasn't he?
Speaker 17: Yes, you know what it's called?
Speaker 28: Hell?
Speaker 3: Oh, I should know this trivia question.
Speaker 17: What was the biggest computed in the in the world in those days?
Speaker 1: Or that?
Speaker 3: I don't know? I b M yeah, I minus when you get h H A L is one letter earlier in each case than I B M.
Speaker 17: Well that's what they played it on. It was like a play on on I B M and A hat computers taking over the world and with AI and everything. Maybe they weren't so wrong.
Speaker 3: They're off. They're off. They're basing it on I B M because they know what a basket case IBM ended up being in in the sense that they they owned computers. The computers was their thing, and they were untouchable, and they just lit it all get away from them.
Speaker 17: But it's not anymore.
Speaker 13: No.
Speaker 17: Actually, we've been watching a really good series on Netflix's quite funny with Ted Danson rightly sort of appreciated, but he plays his pension in a series called Man on the Inside, where this young five detective hires this whole tension to go into a retirement home and find out who's been stealing expensive things. It's actually quite funny. It's worth watching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've seen the trailer for it. It looks pretty good, but as always I'm way behind in my TV viewing, so it's something I will watch one day.
Speaker 17: Eight episodes in the first series, I don't have to set the second series and in that yet and each episode is about twenty five thirty minutes, so you can have a little gig good. You can watch it, you know you and you feel satisfied and it's not sort of taxing and just going on and on and on. So you can you can watch a couple of episodes at once, so you can space it over a few nights or whatever. It's actually quite funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I'll have to give it a crack when I get time. I'm busy at the moment. I'm watching House. So that's how which is quite modern for me. It's something in the two thousands with mobile phones in it. That's that's something I'm not used to in TV shows I watch.
Speaker 12: Well do you do?
Speaker 17: He's an iPhone quite well, so, I mean, you know it makes sense to you to watch something like that.
Speaker 3: No, I love it because I love him as an actor.
Speaker 10: A doctor.
Speaker 17: He's like he's starts strange, he finds his strength, diagnoses or something. That is that the one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's what's he what's his name? Who plays House? I've forgotten his name. I should Steve hugh Laurie. Hugh Laurie, Sorry, I had it took me a while to get there. Hugh Laurie plays him, and he's a cranky he hates everyone and everything. He's in constant pain because of a leg injury. But his ability as a diagnostician is amplified by his lack of empathy for any patients. It's just all about finding the cure. He doesn't care about the patient. He just finds about he cares about solving the puzzle. And he's just he's just an amazing actor. I find so is a really really loving the series.
Speaker 17: Yeah, it's good. It's lasting to find a series which is which is palatable and it draws an audience. Another one we watched on I think it was on Disney Class the name Just Escaped Me. He's a It's set in Atlanta, Georgia, and he never he always solves cases. He had a very bad childhood and that kind and it's claimed by somebody Rodrigus the just Escape Me now stupid of me?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I don't know that.
Speaker 17: That is worth watching a lot of fun, very clever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we need to know that.
Speaker 12: Together.
Speaker 17: And the acting is also very good too. And the star and it is this hihaha called Betty absolutely gorgeous. Yeah, yeah, three my wife, we should get a chawaur, but I haven't managed to convince it.
Speaker 3: Well, good luck with that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, I don't worry.
Speaker 3: Accept the fate before you even have the argument. That's the right way, all right, Good on your David lovely to chat. We'll chat again, no doubt. Thanks, Thanks mate, take care a break back with you, Bob. Bob's the only one on hold there now. So one double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two if you want to squeeze a call in before the upcoming news, which will be along in about twelve minutes time, we'd love to take your calls back in a second. Thank you Steve from Sydney who sent through the exact same information that David just gave us. Hi Simon a bit of trivia about two thousand and one as Space Odyssey. When the movie was released, the biggest computer company in the world at the time was IBM. The computer in the movie was how and if you add one letter to each of the letters h al, you get IBM. So thank you for sending it through. He sent that through it about twenty minutes ago. So before I spoke to David, but I didn't see the text until just now. So thank you Steve, and thank you David. Bob's in cooleroo, you get a Bob.
Speaker 16: Good a Simon. I'm not going to ask you how you're doing, because everybody asks that question.
Speaker 3: And I'm still favyous.
Speaker 16: Do you feel little bit lonesome? Without your normal Saturday Night's cast of Tha thousands?
Speaker 3: It's a very different show, And I was saying to Jay, I love what I do on a Saturday night. For those listening through five, double A and six PM, my Saturday night show is sort of wall to wall segment. You go from segment to segment because it's a weekly show and that's sort of necessary there. But to do midnight to dawn is a very different, diferent style of show where I just get to freewheel. I come in, I've got a list in front of me of things that I want to bring up, but if I don't bring them up because we've got calls, I just like free wheeling with the callers. So I really love the openness of this show. And so I've said to Jay, it's been four months since I've done it, and I've really missed just the free wheeling nature of this.
Speaker 16: Now you're asking about strange things that we used to put money into. Yes, in the mid fifties, my parents decided to get teas and of course they rolled back and white in those days, and we came across this thing called a webray TV, which it made it very easy for people to pay off because they've had a coin in the slot arrangement. Yeah, you'd be you'd be watching a good show and it'd get to an exciting bit and the next minute TV would turn itself foth and there'd be a mad scramble around to find some coin to shove into the back of it. Well, fortunately for us, after a while, the mechanism packed up, so the people who used to just come to get the coins out of the back of the machine just came round and collected ordinary money office. And that's how we paid our first TV set.
Speaker 3: Isn't that amazing? So you could you could actually get a television set, but it was coin operated and that's how you paid it off. That's it was a great concept, wasn't it.
Speaker 24: That was?
Speaker 16: And I don't know whether this is true, but I was told at one stage that the web rays were a Hinds TV in other words, they'd bits and pieces of every other band inside them.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 16: They were around for a while. I think my favorite thing was they remember of it was that when they came out to demonstrate it, they had a screwdriver in one hand and a hammer in the other and tried to bash the screen and of course it didn't crack.
Speaker 3: No, the big demonstration. How tough it was.
Speaker 16: Yes, and I think really things in the old those were possibly more reliable than what they are now.
Speaker 12: I know.
Speaker 16: Household fridge that went for about thirty years before I replaced it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, Look, there's good and bad in what we have now. TV is now so much cheaper, so much better, and so much cheaper to run because LEDs don't cost anything near you know, they don't use anywhere near the electricity that the old cathode ray tubes used, So TV's are much better now for that. But it also makes them disposable. When something goes wrong with your teally, you don't fix it, you just get another one, which is something I don't like. And that's the that's the bad part of society now is the disposableness of everything.
Speaker 16: I've got a plasma and the plasma's about eighteen years old. Yeah, it still runs perfectly. I've had to put a set top box on it to get all the other channels. Yes, but I touch word. I haven't had anything go wrong.
Speaker 24: With it in the eighteen years.
Speaker 3: Well, now that you've now that you've said, that bound to happen, So look forward to hearing the update. Thank you, Bob. I've got to break, We've got to get another one in before news, but thanks for the call. Well are we coming up to news time? That would make it a minute to one in Perth, almost half past two in Adelaide and almost three o'clock in Melbourne and anywhere else wherever you are. Yeah, check your own phone and I out what time it is for you. Gabriel Hodson's in the newsroom. She's going to bring us to the bulletin and then she's got a story she wants to expand on. On the other side of that, we've also got chicken man I think coming up in the next hour the cereal as well, and more of your calls. Keep them coming, won double three six nine three are wonderbul three eight eighty two.
Speaker 2: Now this is Australia Urban Eyed with Simon Owens.
Speaker 3: It's a seven after one in Perth, it's twenty three to three in Adelaide, and in Melbourne it's a seven after three. We'll get back to your call shortly, Steven Meredith. If you'll hang on, we will get to you very soon. Chicken Man also coming up in this next quarter hour. But first, Gabriel Hodson has joined us from the newsroom. Hey Gabe, how are you look?
Speaker 13: Some stories you just can't make up?
Speaker 3: No, what have you got for?
Speaker 13: Okay, a wind turbine the court fire and has self extinguished. Wonderful, But but there's a there's a catch. It's fled up again. Firefighters I think this scratching their heads wondering how do you put this thing out? It hasn't burnt any grass of vegetation, I must add. It's at the Bulgana wind farm, which is our rout area. Yeah, great Western that that sort of area. Now at first fled up around nine last night, you know, it blew out flared up again around two. So I believe there's about three fire units out there at the moment. The wind out there at the moment is about forty to fifty k's an.
Speaker 4: Hour, is that strong, strong issue.
Speaker 32: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's enough to fan the mine light.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 13: But I'll tell you what I'd see this.
Speaker 3: I've never actually seen a wind turbine in real life.
Speaker 13: Are you serious?
Speaker 3: Serious?
Speaker 4: Just drive up the west.
Speaker 3: There's none in Balwin where I live, so I wouldn't see one. There's none between the eastern suburbs of Melbourne and the city.
Speaker 13: Do you own a telescope or really good set of glasses, like a binoculars. Go down to Frankston, stand on the beach aim at across the bay. You will see the you Low South wind Farm, which is sort of in the Brisbane Ranges. It's beyond backus Marsh, but you can see it from Frankston. It is incredible. That's probably the closest to Melbourne, I'd say, but they're everywhere.
Speaker 3: Now, Well, I wonder what the I wonder what the height is of these things.
Speaker 13: It just depends. The newer ones are enormous. We're talking mcg.
Speaker 3: Light light tower.
Speaker 13: Yeah it was over fifty I think. Don't quote me.
Speaker 3: On that, but how did like there's a motor in them obviously that when the wind turns it it's it's got a little motor that generates the electricity.
Speaker 13: I guess there's all different terminology, you know, words for the different parts. The turbine is actually kind of the engine. You've got the blade, you've got to think called the nassel. You've got the tower itself. But how the heck do you get up there to ask? Is it like, is the there's a ladder in the middle or something.
Speaker 3: Do you do you scale the outside of it? Or is there a little door at the bottom and it's like a lighthouse. You've got the windy stairs going all the way out.
Speaker 13: I reckon. I reckon the biggest, the biggest aerial fire appliance, you know, with the stretchy ladders. Extendable ladders is the word I'm looking for.
Speaker 15: That.
Speaker 13: They would never reach the height of this, So I think all you can do is just let it burn out anyway. Look, I hope no one gets heard.
Speaker 3: There's a fire fifty meters above the earth and it's just a wind. It's just up there in a tower. Tort Yeah, exactly. There's no point trying to hose it down.
Speaker 13: Oh gee, you wouldn't even reach, would you. You've just got to pray for rain.
Speaker 3: Rain, Yeah, that's what we need. Yeah, God can deal with it. That's I think.
Speaker 13: So it's kind of it's on a massive scale. It's on that sort of scale. Now I'm just looking at something that's come up on the computer.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 13: Average hub height these days is about one hundred and fifty meters. One hundred and fifty fifty meters. Blades are forty to ninety meters long. Ninety meters. That doesn't forty meters.
Speaker 29: I believe.
Speaker 13: I saw one in a paddock the other day on the ground. They were building one down near rocod But yeah, they're just enormous. So you need to do yourself a favor. Just go down South Kippsland Western Highway any of those binoculars and you won't need binoculars. They're pretty close to the road.
Speaker 21: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just I'm staggered. So I don't know anything I have. I'm not into the whole coal versus natural things and wind farms and solar and I don't care what they do as long as as long as we have electricity. And I assume people are always studying these things so that the best decisions can be made, And so I don't care about all those debates. I'd never get involved in those. But I am curious in the thought that how much electricity can be generated by something like that as opposed to the cost of building something that huge anchoring it to the ground, Like how much concrete would it take to root one of those firmly in the ground so that a light breeze doesn't just blow it over a lot?
Speaker 14: So is it?
Speaker 3: And I'm not doing Please don't anyone ever think that I'm doing this to be in any way political, because I wouldn't even know which parties in favor and which parties against it. I don't know, don't care. But is it? Is it that good an idea? If we have to use that much concrete, that much material, is it worth it? I guess it must be. If countries all over the world are doing it, well, it.
Speaker 13: Gets a lot of government funding support that sort of thing. They are popping up everywhere. I guess one thing that's not fact it is the damage to the roads. You're dealing with things that are hundreds of tons to get it down a little very fragile bitumen country road. It's going to destroy it. It's not a thick lit it's not a free ways of tark. Yeah, yeah, it absolutely destroys these roads and some of the other infrastructure too, so you know you've got to fix up that damage in its way. So that's an added cost. And a lot of communities they say, look, you're sticking this thing in our backyard. It's killing all the birds. What benfit is in it for us? We won't get cheaper electricity?
Speaker 3: Can birds not see it coming?
Speaker 14: Like?
Speaker 13: It kills a lot of birds?
Speaker 3: Trust me?
Speaker 13: Yeah it does, it does. But you know, is there a who's standing up for the birds? Also another thing with wind farms is the I know all this because I live near a few, but the company has to keep bird strike statistics. But you think about it. A bird's hit by a turbine, falls to the ground, a fox will get it. Well, it's still warm. So if people are going around once a fortnight, once a month looking for dead birds, they would them all yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 13: So you just notice a natural decline in things like wedge tailed eagles.
Speaker 3: Oh that's sad. Eagles are beautiful, Oh.
Speaker 13: They are they are your Like South Wind Farm that I just noticed was one of the best places in Victoria to see wedgetailed eagle. You could go up there and if you look carefully, you could probably see five or six within fifteen minutes, but that's not the case now. So how it's very difficult to get the statistics out of these companies. They don't have to release it, and I can see why they wouldn't, but.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 13: I feel a bit funny when people say, oh, they're majestic and they're beautiful, that these wind farms, I'm not so sure. There's two sides to it. You know, it's renewableandergy, that's great, but there's another side to it too.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's all interesting.
Speaker 13: Yeah, this self extinguishing fire. Let's hope it self extinguishers again, and these poor firefighters can go home and have a good sleep, well earned rest.
Speaker 3: And I wonder if that tower would then have to be taken down or whether they can just pop the old engine out and wack a new one in turbine or whatever.
Speaker 13: I think they would wait for it to burn out and then look, I don't know, I don't know is it fixable. You know, if it's on fire, there's obviously a serious problem. I believe they've got pretty good technology to turn themselves off if there's a problem, like super strong wind or any issues like this. But I can't confirm if it has stopped whirling around you, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it might still be spinning from the wind. Yeah, yeah, turning the blades. But yeah, there you go, fire at a wind farm fifty meters off the ground at least something like that. Yeah, and what the hell do we do there? Yeah? Fascinating.
Speaker 13: You can't make it up, honestly.
Speaker 3: How's everything else going. You're enjoying doing the overnight shift?
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, I've been doing it for it's almost eighteen months now, I think. Yeah, it's interesting you you feel like you're the only journo on deck anywhere in Ali. I'm not sure what the ABC does much. Yeah, there's some pretty good breaking news stories some so yeah, it's it's an honor to be covering them.
Speaker 3: I guess I've always wondered, do we have a hotline that people ring like they if they ring us? That's one thing, and we talk about normally.
Speaker 13: Normally we get tips through the talkback line. Yeah, so you know there'll be a bit of communication, Hey Gabe, did you hear about this? And we'll chase it up. And yeah, not every service is around it, you know. One two three in the morning. But you do what you can while you can, so yeah, but yeah, it's good, it's good, it's it's it's good to have a small team too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you get to know each other a bit better and yeah, loving it's nice.
Speaker 3: All right. Well, good to see you you too, thanks for popping in. Thank you, and yeah, keep it, keep us up to date as you do as you do so well, it's Gabriel Hodson from the news room. Chicken Man now ahead of the break and then it's back to your court. And Steve has called from Canning Vale. Hey, Steve, Hey, you go, mate.
Speaker 24: I'm just calling through about the black Cockatoo's mate, the black cocky mate a bit to do with the Canning River mate sort of ranging a bit worried about him at the moment. The carnabies, the bodines and the red tails sort of had a bit of a crossis at the moment.
Speaker 10: Mate.
Speaker 24: A lot of the habitat has been destroyed and up in the Darling Ranges we've got a lot of the box sipe mines taking over. So there's yeah, there's not a lot of habitat left. They've got a lot of you know, native trees that have been just mowed down, and if you look at the native sites where they have been roosting in the last fifty years, it's just gone down significantly, significantly, and there's just there's.
Speaker 11: No more room for them.
Speaker 24: The bodines at the moment, I've got about fifteen thousand or less, the red towels probably about twenty thousand. I think the carnobies are about one hundred thousand, and yeah, it's becoming a problem. The Nangareth Forest was once a massive roosting zoned for them, but several years have gone by and I think the one of the state governments put through a proposal where the where the Nangareth State Forest because the carnobies and all the red tails and stuff were eating all the pine cones, so that's what they were roosting there. And because the actual pine forest was dropping the water table around the area, so they've they're no longer replanting them, so that's that's going to be no longer a place for them to roost. So yeah, I'm just worried. What do you think those.
Speaker 3: Black cockatoos and things are just the most gorgeous animals. I think they're fabulous and if the populations are in decline, surely you know the Department of Environment Sustainability or that. I just don't get why these things can happen where their habitat gets butchered. When you know, we hear about a freeway not being built because of a frog or something. So there are people who stand up for things and processes in place to protect you endangered species, and that works quite well, but not obviously all the time. Some things, somehow just just to slip, slip under the radar, as it were. I just don't understand why when.
Speaker 24: That sound of the black cocky does go, you know, that iconic sound, you know, and it's only of the south east of Waw. You hear that, and it's iconic. And until that's gone, I think people are aren't going to realize, you know, until that sound is gone and it just.
Speaker 29: Reminds you of home.
Speaker 24: But I just you know, if people just plant something as little as a macedonium plant, do you know how much protein that is for a black cock or two? Is as much of as about three three hundred of those banks your seeds?
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 24: And that's a native that is dead?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 11: Mate?
Speaker 24: Just planting one Macedonia plant. It may take whatever hundred you know, one hundred years ago, but that's going to help us. And I just want to put the message out there to everyone just planting naty plants, and please a lot of the blackhopple do there. They really are there, under spressed them.
Speaker 3: Well, and they shouldn't be. That's a great call, Steve, and good on you for ringing in and drawing attention to it. If that results in just a handful of people going out and planting some native Australian trees, then it's at least it's a step in the right direction. I appreciate the call, Thank you, Steve. And yet black cockatoos, I just I just love them. They're just stunning animals and eagles and things as well. Just I just love I love birds. I should be a bird watcher, a twitter I think there is what they're called. That's a hobby. Maybe I'll get into that now that I'm getting old. Could be the way forward. Thanks for the call. Meredith's in Adelaide home. Meredith, so a long time.
Speaker 32: I'm going to talk to you on the other side.
Speaker 3: Yes, how have you been?
Speaker 32: Not too bad?
Speaker 28: Too bad?
Speaker 32: I live on the road, and nothing like works at the front.
Speaker 3: I'm with you on roadwork. So they're working on the freeway that's just near my place at twenty four hours a day, and there's a guy who drives an excavator who honks the horn all the bloody time.
Speaker 29: Coh, just don't need for that.
Speaker 21: Now.
Speaker 3: I think he has to honk when he's reversing. So every like three or four minutes, beep deep and it's twenty four hours a day they're running that machine.
Speaker 17: You've got to.
Speaker 28: No.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm pretty good. I'm lucky. I can just tune out at any time. But I had a friend over for dinner the other day and it really drove him nuts because they're not used to it.
Speaker 32: Yeah, I can understand it. We'll stop there for it really a set minute.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's the way it happens.
Speaker 32: Oh, well, they've gotta do it something wrong, because when you're live on the main road, the road sometimes.
Speaker 3: Well that's exactly right, because if not, if they didn't do it, we'd be here winging about the state of the roads.
Speaker 32: That's going to do it somehow.
Speaker 3: That's that's my job as a talkback host and your job as a talkback caller. We have to find something to complain about.
Speaker 32: Yeah, well, my son just thronged me. He's found a new job and he started at six o'clock last night.
Speaker 3: This morning, long day and long night.
Speaker 32: Yes, and when he waked me just then because he and the flood jump they can't go because we don't. So he said, my daughter will take instead.
Speaker 3: As long as it gets as long as the job gets done. That's important.
Speaker 32: Because I read last time I didn't feel it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I said, what are you going to do it? So I've just done it.
Speaker 19: Really.
Speaker 3: Oh, they're the best needles, aren't they? The ones where the mosquito like you don't notice until after.
Speaker 32: Oh, I didn't have one this summer.
Speaker 3: Just go on mosquitoes.
Speaker 32: No, because where I'm living now, I used to live in the city and then like movie, Ye, I won't say where I'm living and I go where I lived in the city.
Speaker 29: I got a ride of our cockroaches.
Speaker 32: And oh the fathers, Bob of Fridge the Dead were first flight tour when turtles didn't take notice.
Speaker 29: There's a couple more than more.
Speaker 32: I'm not running along with the fridge.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 32: Letting about getting in my drawers.
Speaker 19: Oh terrible.
Speaker 32: Yeah, yeah, where I am now? I had a friendly little little with a little child. Little How am I going to get I don't believe in killing.
Speaker 3: Well, it's unfortunately. I think you need to sometimes all God's creatures. But cockroaches, sorry, they don't deserve to live. And I say that because I drank one once, So that's that's where it comes from from my perspective. Meredith. I've got to go. We've got to get a break in because we've got the cereal coming up soon. We've got to get another two breaks in before that. Shane, Bob and Aaron with you in a minute. Shane has called in from Rye. How are you doing, Shane?
Speaker 9: Yeah, you're saying the.
Speaker 3: Well mate, good, thank you?
Speaker 20: Yeah, the big one with the birds.
Speaker 9: Look, you know, you know my We know the work I do for about twenty eight years now and I've been very blessed in this country to be able to do the work, but very it's very responsible work. And you know about many years ago, I was always going to behavior because I was growing I grew up in a very dynamic social system that was changed dramatic from a and my field is behavioral sciences. So I have been looking at progressive social psychological conditioning for many years now, Simon about twenty eight years. You a little one Horse charity is federally registered, believe it or not, Thank God to the federal government allowing that to happen. And I've been involved in men shared use, suicide programs, environmental programs, any programs that you can see in the society. I've been, We have been, there's a few of us, but I've been in the public officer in regards to really trying to make generations in a better environment than we see really evolving. And it's a progressive problem with civilizations. And I won't go too deep into the generational social psychological conditioning of our foreign corporatized system, but the byproduct of the social system we're in, which is now morphing into more of an oligarchic finn Satellite oligarchic system, the environment decays dramatically, and being the Mornington Peninsular for sixty six years, I was blessed enough. Even though you know, someone might be a ten year younger than me, they didn't see the significant changes that I was. You know, I saw, and even probably someone ten years older than me. If you can find someone who's pretty cognitive, they'd say the same thing. But it was quite dramatic. These stages that were dramatic for any civilization within a social system because of the modern technological vehicle we were on, you know, the machinery, the advancements in computerized technologies and the other aspects of human beings evolving within a social system. And the dramatic problem is we've got an incredible threat to the natural ecosystem that's going totally blinded by our political parties. I look at the Greens part and I go, my god, they've even got the cheek to have a you know, this is my observation to have this perception on some sort of respect for the environment, where when not seeing it. If you don't see the incredible loss of insects and the birds and the animals within this social system that we're in, then I would say for them to really pay attention for future generations well being. It's crucial for any civilization to have an ecological system it's reasonably sound and considered to be important for future generations. That is not happening in this country, and it is being blinded.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you Shane. Good point. I think well made, and keep up the great work you do. I appreciate the call. Good to hear from you. Bob's in Brisbane, Hi Bob, how are you? Yeah? Good?
Speaker 30: A couple of things I'd like to say A big oli to me best mate Neil. He's traveling from Sydney to Melbourne and I'm traveling out the Brisbane to Charleble so we keep in contact and I know I know he's listening because he'll ring me straight after this. The other thing is that he's my best mate and I love him. The other thing you're talking about wind turbines coming out of Brisbane. A couple of weeks ago there was one I just passed, three big loads. They sort of take up the whole highway out on the Warrigo out the west. And this morning, and a couple of weeks ago one got horn under the bridge on the main highway three days.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 36: Yeah, part of it was, yeah, they obviously they do it in parts, and this part. If we've got this truck go over, we've got to take the exit to go over the overpass and then back onto the freeway where he went straight under the bridge and it was stuck there for three days. The main highway to Tawomba out of Brisbane was blocked for three days. Everybody, everybody had to go around on a detour. Yeah, no, quite popular around here, oh everywhere.
Speaker 3: They are all over the place. Thank you, Bob. We've got to get to the cereal very shortly. But yeah, but my question, ultimately, I guess comes down to how much does it cost to build one and how long does it take to recoup that in energy savings? And yeah, I guess that's part of the question. Anyway, the fade up music is coming, So the Cereal is up on the other side of the break and we'll get back to your calls in about twenty five minutes time after the news after the cereal, right own news is coming up now as we approach two o'clock in Perth, half past three in South Australia. Why do I say? Why do I say Perth which is a capsity, and then South Australia rather than Adelaide, I should be I should be either giving the states or I should giving the towns. And I always do that. I always I always mix them up, very unprofessional. Anyway, it's coming up to two o'clock in the west, it's coming up to half past three in the south, and in the east in Victoria, it's about to hit four o'clock. After the news your calls, there's none on the board, often is the case after the cereal So now's a good time to call if you want to have a chat.
Speaker 2: Now this is a screen you're urban eyed with Simon Owens.
Speaker 3: Yes, good morning everyone. You heard that right. Tony McManus is off this morning, so it's me. Simon Owen's in the chair. Jay is here as well. And I just heard something Jay that Gabriel said in the weather there that caught me by surprise. Hmmm. And what was the surprise, sim It that the we are only too basically that we are two days away from winter. Oh, yes, the last days of autumn, she mentioned. That's true. It's just it's sort of snuck up on me, like it's been cold where we are this last week. But prior to that, you know, like I only put the electric blanket on my bed last week, Yeah, the hot blanket. Yeah, yes, yeah, Well I got no one to snuggle te so I need that. Used to be the great thing about working late nights was getting home to an already warm bed. Yes, but now so I'm going to have the electric blanket now.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, I think when it comes to time and the year flying, I think it's a bit to do with the weather, because you know, this time of the season, we're usually really cold and we're just you know, obviously a couple of days away from winter, that's why it's so cold. But this year, very mild conditions, a couple.
Speaker 3: Of days in winter. That's just completely thrown me. I wasn't expecting that. We did say at the top of the show, which now four hours ago, that I was still getting used to the idea that it's twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: That's right, yes, and we're ever so close to June one now, so you know, because when you cross over to midnight here another day ahead. Yeah, yeah, one minute you yesterday, next minute today. Scary stuff.
Speaker 3: I was having a quick flick through the papers during the bullet and then and all the papers are carrying an article on all the news limited papers are carrying an article on Raygun. She's come out and said that, you know, she's battled basically demons mental health issues since the Olympic performance and I have to say I'm not surprised there's people were really really harsh. Like it was. It was an odd performance, it was not what anyone was expecting. But the vitriol that she faced off the back of it, I thought was horrendous. I thought it was fun. I thought it was funny. I thought it was different and odd, but I also thought it was wonderfully Australian. We used to have a culture where we sort of prided ourselves on our dagginess, as it were, on the fact that we didn't have to conform with the rest of the world. We could be Alaraken's assies, you know, we he'd have fun, a good time. We live in the lucky country, so nothing's ever really bothered us. And when her performance happened the pylon was horrendous, I thought.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we just got to come back to that respect, don't we. For people, you know, understand that we're all different in some way, but we just need to respect. We need you know, we obviously have a go at each other because that's the Aussie way too, but to have that respect at the end of it as well, that's that's the main thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can have a go at someone and still have fun exactly without it being nasty. But there was a lot of there was a real pile on towards Raygun. Yeah, and I felt very sorry for her. So I will say, though, I think there's she's made a mistake in the article in ending that. The article ends with basically Raygun saying you've not seen the last of me, and I, no, you don't need to say that, because that's inviting another pileon. Yeah, So yeah, I don't know. I can't blame her. She didn't write the article. The journal did. But yeah, I just I read the article and I thought, that's it's all very nice, like she talks about the demon she's faced and what she's done to try and overcome that, and how life is slowly getting better for her. But then all of a sudden it ends with something that I thought, Oh, you're you're just leading leading them on to bring you to an attack again. Anyway, people can read that in the papers. We better get to some calls. We've got a few things to cover off in this hour as well. But your calls are welcome one double three six nine three one double three eight eighty two, and your text messages as well on zero four double seven, six nine three six niney three like this one, Simon. I remember playing lookout for my grandmother if she had forgotten to pay her TV license. We used to watch out for the scanner truck coming down the road. If we saw it, the tv'd be turned off and pretend we weren't home, says Mark has Scoresby. That's a great one. That's off the back of the topic. We did, excuse me earlier this morning. Things we used to put coins in and televisions were one of those things. Drove many times to Horsham just near arrow Out. There are many wind turbines, but hardly even saw them moving. Hundreds of birds are killed, also some cattle of being killed when blades break off, says Barb. Yes, thank you for that. That's we've heard that several times that sort of story too. Thank you Bob for that. Have a talk to the people who install these turbines. They're constantly repairing them as the blades are breaking off. It's a major problem that the companies aren't talking about, says Tony in Doncaster. Thank you Tony for that. Yes, that was off the back of a news item. Gabriel Hodson gave us earlier about a wind turbine that's on fire and the fire brigadeer. They're looking up at the fire going what do we do at three o'clock in the morning to try and put that out? Thank you for all those texts. Keep them coming on zero four double seven six nine three six nine three. Mark's installed. I mark.
Speaker 8: That windmill is dan Bowlgain wind farm. Just ran thorn from the page A went off, what tomorrow? What what people are trying to do is like, sure it doesn't spread on the ground, yes, and that's it. Nothing else you can do it. You don't go up climbing, you don't be superheroes, you don't do any.
Speaker 3: Of that makes makes perfect sense. It's a little bit high to be getting up to try and put out a fire. And if it's you know, it's not like there's a lot of there that can catch fire. But yeah, you gotta watch for the stuff hitting the ground, I.
Speaker 8: Guess, and all those carbon you know that those blades are made of carbon fire, but they just they just shred after a wall. And yeah, and you're talking about how much concrete does it take? Yeah, it takes four average size concrete trucks five days, twenty four hours a day to fill the foundation. And they's use a special mixed concrete.
Speaker 3: So that's a lot of concrete. You're telling me.
Speaker 8: Put it this way. A city, the suburban suburban house straight, if you just filled every every house up with concrete, that's out and it would be about that plus morning.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 8: Now I think the Western Highways open because I'm just hearing the trains go Pastball Place now, Yeah, doing pretty quiet, playing pretty quiet and not a slip.
Speaker 3: Well, oh that's well, that's good.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I hear trucks making up and down the Western isihlay now because I'm right in the middle of them, two of them.
Speaker 3: But you say your slip, Well, but it's quarter past four in the morning. Install you.
Speaker 30: Know me?
Speaker 8: The trains wake me up with their constant railway crossing.
Speaker 3: Two horns okay, yeah, yeah, horns should be banned after a certain time. Ah.
Speaker 8: There's like an optional extra on a car now. It's it's like the indicators that you can go to Audo Prow and get a little container a blinker fluid and they'll start working again.
Speaker 3: Blinker fluid.
Speaker 8: Both sarcastic to joke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, Okay, now I'm with you. I was yeah that that made no sense to me. Now it does my car horn, just as an aside, because we mentioned horns. My car we purchased in twenty twelve. In twenty thirteen, the horn stopped working. And so I've been without a car horn for twelve years, which has probably been a good thing. Is it is unroadworthy?
Speaker 8: Okay, and I have you now getting there afraid?
Speaker 9: Have you?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 3: Look, I'm clearly flouting the law because it is unroadworthy. But the problem is to fix the Apparently it's a loose wire in the steering wheel, so in order to do that, they've got to pull out the air bag in order to fix the horn. Oh yeah, So it's just a little Toyota Yaris. But so I was told it was going to cost a couple of hundred bucks just to fix the horn. So I said, I don't worry about it. It's it's only an issue if I ever sold. If I ever sell the car, and it's not, it's not ever going to be worth selling. So I'll just go without a horn.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, yeah, shock an accident on the Western air straight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, terrible news. That was terrible.
Speaker 8: You know, if if the government promised what they said they'll do ten years ago, it all beplicated, right right, past Orsham.
Speaker 3: Now, well that stuff needs to happen. But at the same time we broke. So that's that's the that's the juggling money.
Speaker 8: Into that black money hole. Whereas brace somewhere, Which one is that?
Speaker 3: Which money holds that?
Speaker 8: The black hole, the one that they lay The government keep going oh, no, no, no, we're going to make it the box hill.
Speaker 3: Oh the rail tunnel thing, Yeah, that's the one, the black hole. Look the thing about that though to die, well, well they're still working on it. Look the thing about the thing that intrigues me about this, because again I'm apolitical. I don't care. It doesn't bother me. The question I would have is if they've poured so much money into it already and they stop, then at some point in the future, be it ten twenty years from now, someone's going to say, okay, well now it's time to do that thing, and then we need another lot of studies and another lot of stuff done. So is it not better to just struggle through the pain and get the bloody thing finished? Even if it isn't the be all and end all that it was promised rather than actually stop a project halfway through and complete.
Speaker 8: What about that stupid worst worst tunnel cross out and the tunnel thing to maiden it's freeze right now?
Speaker 3: Well have you ever known a government project to run on time for either party?
Speaker 25: Wow?
Speaker 8: But the Libs were, the Libs were weren't nowhere near as bad as what they are now. Like I heard someone saying earlier this morning, but how to get time off work was just jam jam torlet paper down the toilet, non flashable.
Speaker 21: Off we go.
Speaker 3: We block the toilet so you can't say the office isn't inhabitable.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well I think it was all Denniss. Someone's program might have been Jackiees. I said, yeah, we just jam toilet rolls into the toilet, make them unworkable, and off site they go over four days part.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's pretty crappy. Literally Yeah, yeah, I didn't actually mean it that way, but yeah, there you go. I'm witty. I'm witty and I didn't realize it anyway. Good on your market's good to hear your voice, mate, Take care, Cheers, Wilmat Julian Julian of Armadale. I was Jay and I were talking about you off earlier, So look forward to chatting to Wilmot, to Julian, to Michelle, Aaron others. Keep them coming and we will be with you after these. I love Meg's text. I wonder if large pipes can be incorporated into the stands of wind turbines and a huge showerhead on top, and then the fires can pump water, fieries can pump water up there and the water flows down. It's a very clever idea, Meg, you should be an engineer, no doubt. There's probably a massive reason why it can't be done, and people who are involved in wind turbines are going that's ludicrous. But I like the idea. But I have no expert, so I can't say whether it's a good idea or not. But I like it. Thank you, Meg. Wilma's in lands for Hi Wilma.
Speaker 35: They're going so let me have him starting to you for a long time forever. Have you watched Carva name with pride yet?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 3: I haven't. No, it is in my list.
Speaker 35: Well, yeah, we better put her on top of the list.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I've got okay, so I've got I've got China Beach Chaplain Harvey, starring James Stewart student Prince Carva, name with Pride, Guess who's coming to dinner? Elephant man. Yeah, and it goes on. So it's it's in the list fair enough.
Speaker 35: Yeah, we don't live serious from Actually we're going to Stall for morrow because Asia is only forty six caves from Stall. And I know my husband that were very interested in this because, uh, with' the turb on, I hold a hicck of a lot of oil and that's why would be very very difficult to put out.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well yeah, if the oil in there catches fire, absolutely.
Speaker 35: Yes, yeah, that's that's what would have catched on fire.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it could be some sort of lubricant that makes the the other thing that allows them to spin freely or oh.
Speaker 35: Yes, because they've got a big bullbarians in them too, what makes them? Yeah, go, But anyway, it's very interesting, but probably I don't know exactly. We'reously. We're terribly dry up here at the moment.
Speaker 13: And.
Speaker 35: I'd say, yeah, some some of them arenald fairly good in farmland not so, I'd say the fires watching there pretty closing for a few days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I was, I was talking to Marty Fields earlier of the well known comedian the Son of Murray and Vell Gila, who's organizing a fundraiser and a comic relief type thing for farmers who are affected by the drought. The drought is apparently really really horrific, but we in the city don't realize it because we're in this little spot where we have had rain. But just on the other side of Geelong. This is for Victorians, of course, just on the other side of Geelong. It's there's a whole region that's just it's the worst route they've had in years, years upon years. We've got flooding in New South Wales. It's just a bizarre country. This isn't it?
Speaker 35: Sure is? Well, we're retired to farming, but our some has taken the farm and yeah he's the farm water proof by putting balls down and run by you know. The soul panis which is which is great, but foodings.
Speaker 7: Are a problems.
Speaker 35: Got he said to buy, so he did. He's got pretty high which is good. But we just hope. But we've got a good riding. Good if it goes through through sort of we're going to get much running around some next Mark and be horistic, Solomon. But anyway, we just don't know.
Speaker 3: Well we can do is hope. I guess that's yeah, there's not a lot we can Yeah, there's nothing new and I can do, is there?
Speaker 35: No, No, No, there's nothing Allan. I always said, it's just as well we can't change the weather, otherwise we'd be fighting all the time, Soloman. No, We've I've got gradation or Dan Launville area and they have said, you know, they've never never ever seen it so dry around that area for lawn might look like around there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it's it's quite bizarre. We just wouldn't have known about it in the city if people didn't speak up about it.
Speaker 35: That's the sure. Yeah, and any I I'll be pleased to hear from really because I've been learning for a while and.
Speaker 32: We need to forget.
Speaker 35: Uh you know. It brings memories back to me.
Speaker 3: He's a nostalgia person's dream, Julie.
Speaker 13: It is.
Speaker 35: That is the true. So I'm enough, all the best and it's good to hear from you again.
Speaker 3: Good on your thanks, Wilma, lovely Carl, I appreciate it. Thank you. We'll get to Julian shortly, but Michelle's in Portland First High Michelle Oh.
Speaker 37: Hi, good morning and hi to everyone. So I'm not normally up at this time, but couldn't because I'm worried about the food security for Australia. A lot of people, I think a lot of people would be thinking this tax that the Labor government are going to put on the Australian people with the council of three million dollars zero, not thinking at the average person, not thinking about the farmers who have got their super innovation tied up in their properties. And this is going to what will actually happen if you'll have them calling into the Taxation Department saying I can't pay this bill, so they'll actually go into debt with the with the Taxation Department.
Speaker 12: So the other thing is.
Speaker 26: With the drought the farmers are having it.
Speaker 10: It's really really dry, it's really dry.
Speaker 37: And the thing is, listening to your last caller, a lot of the balls when they go down into the ground, the water level then drops off, so you can't really put a whole. If you have a whole lot of people pumping balls, the water pressure is going to go down and you'll have massive issues. So the thing is I'm calling on the Australian Farmers Federation to organize a right across Australia everyone and all the farmers go to Canberra and march on them, and also march on a Victorian state government who has given and also the federal government's given five thousand dollars to students, but what about the farmer's That five thousand dollars could have gone to the farmers that are.
Speaker 26: Doing it tough.
Speaker 37: So we've had two years of dryness, not much rain, and I really feel as.
Speaker 8: Though that.
Speaker 37: We need to do something radical like march on Canberra because Australia only thirty three percent of Australians did vote this labor government in, only thirty three percent, and no one has gone to the.
Speaker 26: To the government.
Speaker 37: They didn't really bring this up at their last federal election. And what I'm saying that this has happened six years in a row. Now we've got a labor government. It's like a wrecking ball for the country and they're putting a national security at risk and they're putting our.
Speaker 7: Food security at risk.
Speaker 37: So it's getting pretty dire and a lot of people have got to start waking up.
Speaker 3: Well, Look, the fact is we've got a liberal party that's just pretty much nonexistent, and people put their preferences to the Labor Party, so the public have spoken. So I don't know, you can say only thirty three percent of people voted him in. No, the population vote them in. But yeah, the country is in a mess. The country is in an absolute mess, and Victoria in particular is in a mess, and so stuff does need to happen, and as long as people keep putting the pressure on, stuff will eventually happen. But if people aren't happy with the government, vote them out. We've got every three or four years, depending on what it is, we have the chance to do exactly that. But we need an opposition that can actually get their act together to present something worth voting for. I am not political. I don't really look at the election until the day comes to actually vote. And I looked at all the paraphernalia and I spent I'd always spend the night before the election looking at all the members who are in my electorate, and there was just nothing there interested me. The policies that were put up and everything I found was just nothing. Nothing interested me. I think the country is in a mess because we've got idiots advising the government, the political advisors. I think a large part of the problems. It's just disgraceful on both sides of politics. Anyway, that's my little rant for someone who doesn't care. That's pretty much all I've got to say. But thank you for your call, Michelle. I hope you've got your point across and point well made. Well done. Thank you. It's a twenty eight to five in Victoria, twenty eight to three in Western Australia and in South Australia. It's just after four. More of your calls after this. Julian calls from Armadale.
Speaker 11: How are you, Julian, Good morning, sir, How are you today?
Speaker 3: Excellent? Thank you and all the better for hearing from you.
Speaker 11: Yes, sir, just as we're talking about Warnable, they had a big fire in two thousand and nine which virtually destroyed most of the historic Kepler Street Capital Theater in Warnamore, the only cinema left in Warnamore. Magnificent job. I went for the opening in twenty ten with some doubts as to whether they could restore the theater. The fire started in Cinema three and they were very lucky that they could evacuate some of the people working in there at in the early hours of the morning and a woman next door who was sleeping in a house and next door. So it's a great theater at the Capitol Theater. Have you ever been there?
Speaker 3: No? I haven't known. But they managed to restore it, did they And it's all looking good.
Speaker 11: Twelve months reopened it. It's just the bid of cinema. Cinema one is the one with a fire start and two cinema two and three down below one stage. Warner More had three cinemas and a drive into you know, is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 11: And according to the Kolak Herald about a month ago, they're restoring the Region Theater in Murray Street, coal Ak, which was it still is an RSL club. Have you been in there?
Speaker 3: No, haven't been there either. I don't get out much, sadly, but yeah, that's good that they're restoring it. That's good. There's there's there's a theater in my neck of the woods, which is which was a bit sort of run down and on the outside it looks quite run down, but inside it's quite beautiful. They've restored it with dignity.
Speaker 11: As you know. Last year the Palace Chain took over the regency of the Ballor You knew that, did you? It's now called the Palace, is that right?
Speaker 3: Is that the one that? What was the one that Mike Walsh bought? What was his first theater that was in Ballarat?
Speaker 11: He bought some in Sydney, had the Hayden Chain in Sydney her Matchency's Theater.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I thought his first one was a country one in Country Victoria somewhere.
Speaker 11: I'm not quite sure about that. Could you find out which one it was?
Speaker 3: I could ask him, but I don't think he returns on my calls.
Speaker 25: It.
Speaker 3: It lives in flits between England and Melbourne, so yeah, he lives in both cities.
Speaker 11: We had a date unfortunately that did not work out at the old Holtz New mal Than on Glen Furry Road and then that theater they used to have, one of the last theaters of Howts Chain. They said foot warm worst to remember them.
Speaker 3: Oh footwarm was how lovely. Yes, the hot water parks that went through under the seats.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's why they also Lover's chair that was had no it had no harm rest.
Speaker 3: Now I've just googled Mike Walsh first theater, and it says Mike Walsh's first Foray inter live theater ownership began with the purchase of Richmond's Regent Theater in nineteen seventy seven in Sydney. Well, it said Richmond.
Speaker 11: So Sydney Regent, not the Melbourne one, right, Okay, yep, I remember the old the old Hoyz chain and the Quartiously, the date that I had did not work out. She married someone else and they got the worse.
Speaker 3: Oh is that right?
Speaker 11: That's right now. I used to know an usher who was a veteran usher of Melbourne cinemas, and he recalls he used to be a gentleman who used to come in on a very cold day and sleep at the cinema all day. And in the summer who used to come to the same cinema and used to sleep all day because it was too hot.
Speaker 3: Amps Yeah, I've always said that people like to when it hits forty degrees, people say, oh, I'm going to the beach and I go, You're insane. You're going to burn your feet on the sand. The water will feel freezing in comparison to the heat in the air. You're going to get a bad sunburn. Because you always miss a spot when you put the lotion on. Why would you go to the beach when it's forty degrees That's when you go to a cinema.
Speaker 11: That's right, red.
Speaker 3: Lines breaking in there.
Speaker 11: I was su speaking to an usher red in London when they had the Elephant Man there, and she said, we have people in the London cold weather. You know how cold it gets in Underdog you Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, a little on the chili side. Yeahs a bit colder than it does in Australia most of the places.
Speaker 11: May I tell you an old story from the Courier Mail back in nineteen seventy eight when they destroyed the Regent Theater in Brisbane. There was a lot of controversy about that they had a green band on her and they pulled the green band at five o'clock and version destroyed most of the old Regent in Brisbane. And there was a man who worked in a projection room and he looked out the window one night and guess what he saw his girlfriend dating another man.
Speaker 3: Oh really, that's right.
Speaker 11: He wasn't really happy about. There's nothing you can do.
Speaker 3: About it, eh, No, Well better to find out, I guess.
Speaker 11: And then there was a story of a lady he used to work projection Williamson. And you know most of some of those old Melbourne theaters still have posts.
Speaker 3: Sorry say again, some of the.
Speaker 11: Old Melbourne theaters have posts behind the seats, in front.
Speaker 3: Of the seats, posts as in like columns of that support the roof.
Speaker 11: And they used to sell them the old days, she said, those seats that had obscured view of the stage with a post half priced right.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, and they still do. There are some there you can still. I can't remember which theaters, but there are I know obstructed view seats. I think a lot of them might be from overhanging balconies or something. If you're sitting right up the back, the overhanging balcony can block part of the view of the stage if the show has a high set.
Speaker 11: And she told the story of how a lady came and said, I can't see the stage because of the post, and she said, don't worry, madam. When the curtain goes up, the post goes up with the curtains.
Speaker 3: Of course, that's wonderful. Now, Julian, I must move on, but it's lovely to hear your voice. It's been quite some time since we've spoken. So I'm glad to hear you. Okay, nice to hear from you, sir, No worries. Good on you, Julian. There's Julian from Armadale. Peter's in Adelaide.
Speaker 21: Gooda Peter morning, Simon.
Speaker 20: How are you?
Speaker 23: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Not too bad? What have you got for us?
Speaker 11: Now?
Speaker 21: I do a regular with Tony the SA NFL sand Full. Do you follow footy?
Speaker 3: I don't, but many people listening do, so yeah, go for it.
Speaker 21: Now we've got a big round coming up round eight Saturday, maybe thirty first, the last day of autumn, the one hundred and fifty first day of the year. Now Tony is a mad Norwood supporter. Last year Nord played Glenelg in the Grand Final. Currently Glenelg are in the third or fourth position five wins, two losses. Nor With are on equal bottom one win.
Speaker 15: Six losses.
Speaker 21: Go figure it out, how about that? Anyway? I'll quickly go through them from I know you've got other callers that want to get on. First of all, the first game is it's a Richmond IV will just round the corner from where I live, hysin Stadium one ten Saturday, West Satellade versus the Mighty Red Legs Now Nord will have to win to have any hope of competing in the finals. West was smashed at Blene by the Bays last week. I'm tipping Nord. I set a line of nineteen point five points Nord to win over that line. Second game where my side's involved in the TV game in Adelaide, the game of the round first versus second Central District the Bulldogs versus third the Double Blues who are currently on top seven wins, zero losses, Central in second position six wins, one loss. The match will start at two ten. Now did you hear about the mini draft last night?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 3: I didn't know.
Speaker 21: Well, six Abstrain players were chosen, which is remarkable and they'll be playing in the ABSOL system soon. Central unfortunately lost. I've got to think of his name, the midfield of Manny Livy. I think it is who's previously played at Sturt. If he's not allowed to play for Centrals, Sturt will win easily. If he is, could be a very very close match. My heart bleeds double Blue Sturt below the line of nineteen and a half.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the game that matters because first versus second and Yeah, stt just one game up on the Central and Simon.
Speaker 21: In nineteen seventy one when I was a teenager, Central District ended Sturt's five premierships in a row, beat us in the first semi final at the Adelaide Oval by about five goals and I cried for a week that I was yeah anyway. And the third game is at Prospect Over North Adelaide. North Adelaide versus Woodball West Torrence. North have been very disappointing. They sacked their coach Jacob Surgeon a week and a half two weeks ago. Woodbell West Torrants Eagles are flying. I'm kipping Woodvielle West Torrance over the line. But North Adelaide beware the wounded rooster and the last game because Adelaide and Port have got the buy. This week. South Adelaide Panthers, who haven't won a premiership in sixty one years, are playing Glenelg at make and Stadium nor Longer, which is on the coastline. No Longer was destroyed on Monday by Titanic waves and winds. Galinelg will win, but I hope South are competitive. Glaneg go over the line, and I'm going to thank you for letting me on.
Speaker 3: No, no, always a pleasure, that's not a problem. Good to keep everyone across all the codes of football and the different league. So good on you. I appreciate the call. Thanks Peter. We will knock off a break, Aaron, Bob and Rob with you soon. No, he won't because Bob's just dropped out, but we've got Aaron and Rob will be with you in a minute. Aaron's in w a morning.
Speaker 38: Aaron, Good morning, Simon. How are you?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Good, thank you.
Speaker 38: Yeah, I'll be very brief this issue regarding anti bullying within the state school system. I mean, you know, people do what they can to put a stop to a Simon, but at the same time, you know you can't stop these kids from bullying one another. I mean it's an ongoing issue that can be very hard to resolve. You understand what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Oh, look, kids are kids. Unfortunately that means that they can be immature and bullying. Yeah, bullying will happen, absolutely.
Speaker 38: Yeahs terrible as it is the only thing that can be introduced really that to resolve the issue, Simon, because I mean, you know, you know it can't be stopped so reasonably. I mean, you know, see just the start at the schools that these schools, you know, they can't really they enforce that little bit. At the same time, you know, that's not the bullying silent, because I mean it is persistence that you know, it carries on. I mean, sadly some kids to leave the schooler, it gets expelled, I mean so sad to say unfortunately.
Speaker 3: Look, it is terrible. I think the larger part of the problem with bullying is the parenting because there's only so much a school can do. You know, in schools, you know, if there's a ratio of one teacher to every twenty odd kids, they simply can't be everywhere to make sure that kids aren't bullying each other as much as we would like them to be able to be. There's too much pressure on teachers in the school system as it is.
Speaker 38: The worst thing about it is simon, nobody can stop it. Nobody can put a stop to it.
Speaker 23: No, it's very very sad, you know, it is.
Speaker 3: It is awful.
Speaker 38: What really can anybody do? What can the education department do? You make it twitdally thumbs and not do anything about it, because that's what's what's going on? Which is usually the case. I mean, these kids get bullied to buggery when when they're atiliated, I mean somebody or some gets very badly heard or injury, it will be.
Speaker 29: In the school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I think that the thing about it is aaron that the schools do do everything they can. They they teach about bullying and the and the problems that bullying causes, and there's educational films and things that they show at schools, and you know, it is a big part of the of the the what's what's it called the school curriculum as it were, to make sure health and wellness for all kids. Unfortunately, as my dad once said, and it's just something that's stuck in my mind years ago, you can't legislate for stupidity. There are kids you can tell people don't bully, it's bad, and there are people who go, oh yeah, yeah, absolutely, and then they bully and they don't even think that they're really bullying. They're just having a bit of fun at that loser kid, and they don't realize that they're actually bullying. And when you point it out, they get defensive and they feel that you're bullying them. There is just kids can be really immature, and so at school bullying will always happen, and it's really up to the parents to know. If the school contacts you and says your child is bullying another child, it's really up to the parents to really just knock that crap out of the kid and say it's just not good enough and threaten that kid that you're going to move them to another school unless they change their behavior. So I really think parenting has more to do with stoppings bullying at schools than schools can actually do themselves. But as I say, kids are kids. It's never going to be extinguished. We've just got to be able to do the best we can. That's all we can do in any walk of life. But thanks for the call, Rob. I appreciate that quick break back in them. And we've got Rob calling in from Melbourne. How are you rob.
Speaker 21: Yourself?
Speaker 26: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Pretty good.
Speaker 39: With that fire and that winterbine, maybe they can try, obviously too late to save the one that's on fire now, but they can retrofute them and put nozzles in and pup c O two into them. At least that way it will help cool the heat. Sauce and start the fire up the box.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because you need the oxygen to burn for the fuel to burn, so yeah, pipe up co two.
Speaker 39: Yeah, because they putting wire water on the fire like that. The other caller suggested, what the shower.
Speaker 1: Yeah you don't.
Speaker 39: You don't put water on an electrical fire.
Speaker 3: No, very good point. Well, thank god, I'm not in charge.
Speaker 39: A not all good mate. But yeah, they're finding theory of these wind farm things. But oh well, what do you do if they produce power? Bonus?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Look, I don't know whether they're worthwhile having or not. I don't have any knowledge to to have an opinion on it. But yeah, it's the fire in the thing and the fire he is sitting around just watching it burn because there's not much they can do. I just find an interesting story.
Speaker 39: Yeah, yeah, I'm sure I wouldn't want to be up there.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think. I don't think those ladders on the back of the trucks go that high.
Speaker 39: I ll just bys a cable tie on length of them and make your way up there.
Speaker 3: Well, do do what the treeloppers do and have that sort of belt around their back and shimmy up. Yeah, I don't want to be doing all that. I'd sit sit a safe distance away and watch it. And yeah, that's that's about it, all right, get on your rob Thanks for that, appreciate it and thank you six P are good to have you on board this morning. Tony. You'll probably be back tomorrow and so or later tonight, I should say. If he is, he'll see you. If not, it might be me again. So it's been great to have you on board this morning. Thank you to well five Double A are still with us for the remaining half hour of the program, I understand. So we've got Shane A. Bassett coming up for those who are sticking around to talk movies and entertainment on the other side of the news.
Speaker 2: Now, this is Australia Urbanized with Simon Owen's.
Speaker 3: Yes you heard that right. Tony McManus is away this morning. Oh what are we opening with here? Jay? This one's the good old Bruce Springsteen Boss the Boss. It's a human touch. Yeah, oh yeah, now I recognize it. I think it was a good song ninety ninety two, ninety two, so that's thirty three years ago, which it's bloody scary, isn't it When you say that it is because if you then go back thirty three years from nineteen ninety two, you get nineteen fifty nine. You know, pre Beatles. It's finished year twelve. Yeah, ye Eltham high yet twelve? Are you an Elpham boy? Tomerenci. That means a lot to people listening, Glen Eld But I love the boss Bruce Springsteen. What a legend.
Speaker 40: Service from ahead of the stats, little body John word in this.
Speaker 14: It's just.
Speaker 25: Silly out here.
Speaker 4: Do you think what I'll ask.
Speaker 3: You too much?
Speaker 35: I just wow?
Speaker 17: Something too long out.
Speaker 40: Little little That new birth turner, just that new birth turner.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite clips on YouTube is a Bruce Springsteen clip. And I've probably bored you sideways with this story about a dozen times, but I'll tell it again. There's a clip of Bruce Springsteen live in concert in like a stadium, so it's not just some small concert hall or something. It's a stadium. There are tens of thousands of people watching him, and he's got a thing going where because he's been performing for so long. People write the names of songs on something and hold it up hoping that he'll sing that song. And somebody wrote on there You Never Can Tell, which was a hit for Chuck Berry years and years ago, and so Bruce Springsteen reads it, sees it down there, and he says, oh, that's fantastic. I haven't played that song in thirty years or something like that. And then he realizes the band won't know the song. So, in front of a crowd of tens of thousands of people live on stage, he teaches the band the song. He says, oh, what key will I do it in? And he just drums a bit on the guitar and practices, No, that's too high, try a different key. Well, yeah, I think that's right. Then he turns to the horn section and says, I need you guys to do it. The sort of hums what he needs the horn section to do. Then he gets gets the rhythm going, and gets the drummer going, and gets gets a bit of a rhythm going, and and runs through the chord changes, then puts a capo on his guitar. I think it's called a capo, isn't it. Yeah? The thing changes the key, does that and finally gets it gets it going, gets it going, and then he's then he says one, two, three, four, and bang they launch into it and you would swear they've been rehearsing it for years. They absolutely nailed the performance. And in that time, obviously whoever runs the auto cures managed to get the lyrics up on the on the thing so he can remember the lyrics on the screen for him, and then he just nails it, absolutely nails the song. So it is, and it just shows a skill of one hymn but also to the skill of those musos that he too with It's incredible. So if you're bored today people and you've got I think the video runs about eight or nine minutes, because it's five minutes teaching him to play the song and then they actually play it. But Bruce Springsteen, you never can tell. It's just fabulous. It's amazing.
Speaker 4: I think there was a band that I admired a couple of years ago and they got someone from the crowd up and started to play the guitar section of the song Yeah, and it was from you to it, I figured, And he just went through the notes of the song with her and then all of a sudden, she just picked it up and away she wins.
Speaker 3: Isn't that fabulous with them? I was at a Billy Joel concert years ago, might have been the storm Front tour, I think it was. And a guy threw up a poster on stage. I rolled up and Billy Joels picked up the poster and unrolled it. And the guy who threw it up there does a Billy Joel tribute show, and I think he's I've only ever found one reference to it on the internet.
Speaker 1: But the.
Speaker 3: Name of the act, the tribute act was really Joel, so r E A W L y Really Joel. And so Billy said, oh you do me?
Speaker 32: Do you all right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll get up here. Let's let's see your stuff. So he got up there and asked him what song he wanted to do, and I think he did. It was only the Good Guy Young, which is a pretty you know, rocky up there song. So Billy Joel's just playing the piano. He's given this guy the microphone in front of him, and the guy's dressed like Billy Joel, and he's got the same hair at that stage and like and he had the It was where Billy Joel was wearing the Ray Band Sonnies at the time. Yes, so maybe it was the glass No, yeah, no, no.
Speaker 4: On the start of the fire here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, so so he gets the guy gets up there, Billy Joel's playing away with the band, and this guy absolutely nailed it. You could have sworn it was. There were two Billy Joels on stage, a young one which was this tribute guy, and the older Fata one at the piano.
Speaker 4: Be weird if you were the artists. Yeah, looking into a mirror sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, watching watching a younger version of yourself on Yeah. But yeah, wonderful stuff. The stuff that happens at live concerts is marvelous. I was a I wasn't a fan particularly of Pink, but my wife wanted to go and see Pinking concerts. So I was the reluctant plus one. Yeah, yeah, I reluctantly went along to a Pink concert. And Pink's interaction with the audience was just marvelous. Like the show was beautifully choreographed, and she was a she was a brilliant performer, but in between the songs when she had interact with members of the audience, she just she just had a fabulous energy about her. And somebody admitted her she just had a baby, or you know, she had like a toddler and somebody had knitted her a little jacket or something, and so she was really excited and got the person up so she could give him a hug and all that stuff. I love the stuff that goes on in concert between the songs a lot of the time.
Speaker 4: And it's very easy for her to have a chat to someone in the audience because of the aerobatics, because she can sort of flip over to someone.
Speaker 3: Because she's she's surrounded by wires, she can go anywhere in the stadium. Have you seen her in concert or I.
Speaker 4: Haven't actually seen her in concert, but I've seen her video clips and things with her how she does at a stage performance. But yeah, incredible and fit, so fit, and yeah and energetic. It's incredible.
Speaker 3: One double three, it's already caughtter past five. We haven't even We've just been talking about concerts one double three, six nine three for the remaining fifteen minutes of the show. Greatest thing you've ever seen at a concert. Love your calls on that. If we just want to throw that in, we'll throw out everything else we were thinking you're doing at this time. We're supposed to be doing Shane A Bassett, but he's not available. At the moment, so we'll maybe he'll be on tomorrow. We'll see, we'll reschedule that. But one double three six nine three. We've got to take a break. But if you've got a great moment at a concert, we'd love your call. Also, you can text us. If you're not in a position you can call. We'd love your text as well. So zero four double seven six nine three six nine three if you want a text. If you do want to call one double three six nine three, eighteen after five in Victoria in South Australia, it's twelve minutes two five your calls one double three six nine three. Mark has called in from Slovakia.
Speaker 20: Good a Mark, Hey, good afternoon. I'm in great to who you want?
Speaker 3: Break tom thank you, thank you mate. Very, I'm very happy to be here. It's been four or so months since i've done this shift.
Speaker 27: Yes, hey, I'm at a Prince concert June seven, twenty fourteen in Vienna.
Speaker 10: Prince is not one that's going to.
Speaker 27: Stop and have a little chat to a show. The show just kept going and going. But on this particular night, June seventh, that's his birthday, and there was a pause in the show and the whole audience saying happy birthday to him. That band stopped and let Yeah, the band stopped and let us go. It was great, What an event. Prince didn't acknowledge birthdays, but yeah he had to in this case. The whole audio was thinking to him, that's.
Speaker 3: Fantastic, that's wonderful. How did it sort of happen though? Did someone just start and everyone joined in and the band just shut up? Did they?
Speaker 18: I think so?
Speaker 10: I think people.
Speaker 27: I mean I was down the front that just sort of it originated somewhere and off it went. I'm sure it's going to be on YouTube somewhere.
Speaker 10: I've never actually looked for.
Speaker 27: It, but you reminded me of that event when you know, you were asking about things that happened at concert, and you know, I have to do a little bit of research on that one, because it was quite quite an event last time I saw him.
Speaker 3: I don't know, like by all means have a look and people might be looking for it now, but my understanding with YouTube, I haven't looked for a lot of Prince material, but I know that Prince used to have it all taken down. You couldn't get his stuff on YouTube at some point but given he's not here anymore, I don't know whether the estate and still.
Speaker 27: Looks unfortunately since he passes, are free for all pretty much that is, is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 10: In Spotify and that sort of stuff.
Speaker 27: Yeah, the Prince estate seems to be just money hungry, so they're doing innothing. They canvas or milk, milk the legacy.
Speaker 15: But that's the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that happens, definitely.
Speaker 10: That's my little thing.
Speaker 3: Beautiful. Now that's a that's a great one. How are you going, Mark, all well in your world?
Speaker 11: Yeah? I guess it's okay.
Speaker 32: Yeah, we're rolling along, still waiting for summer over here in Europe.
Speaker 10: It's still really cold here.
Speaker 3: You'll be. You don't start seasons at the start of the month, do you, it's the twenty somethings.
Speaker 27: No, it's twenty second I think of June. But you know we're obviously at the end of May and still with electric blanket on her mat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've just put ours on some gold everywhere.
Speaker 20: Yeah, it's sharing got no where, it's warm.
Speaker 3: Somewhere somewhere in between.
Speaker 17: All right, good to talk to you, Mark, Thank you, great sho.
Speaker 3: Thanks mate, I appreciate it. Cheers. Ralph is in Melbourne, Hi, Ralph, thank you mate.
Speaker 15: In Adelaide, Bruce Springstein was playing, and I don't know if you know John Peverton. He's one of the Pember one of the great voices of radio, and he retired in Adelaide and he always had his Pember radio show band. Huge Springsteen fan, so he and his brother in their respective ladies, dressed up as the Honeymooners and Springsteing is a huge Honeymooners fan, Jackie Gleisa fan, and so Pember had a sign that said, hey boss, let a Ralph come on stage and sing brown Eyed Girl and the key at b So Bruce looked at at the little Stevie Dan events and should leave him yep. So they jumped up on stage and Pembo's brother knocked the professor off the piano and they broke into Brown Eyed Girl, and Springsteen was wearing a coonskin cap, which is what Ralph Cramson used to wear at the Lodge meetings, and they tore the house down with Brown Eyed Girl. And Bruce has since put out an album of sixteen of the best intruders that have come up on stage with him and Pembo made the cut so absolutely brought the house down in mad later and we do have some pictures of Bruce with the coonskin cap and away they went. It was a fabulous, fabulous knight.
Speaker 3: That is just magnificent. I love him even more now. That's what a great story that is.
Speaker 15: Yeah, so you never know who's gonna who's gonna let pop up on stage and it's just, you know, one of those magic moments. He doesn't look for them, but when they're there, he certainly certainly does them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is beautiful. Good on your Ralph, appreciate the call. What a ripper story that is. Twenty three after five, seven to five in South Australia, twenty three after five in Melbourne. Before we go, Rory and.
Speaker 41: I'd like to leave you with a little something to think about, a little philosophy exactly. So I'm going to read you something from the Book of Wisdom. It says here a wise man once said he that lives not well one year sorrows seven after or whatever that means.
Speaker 3: I know exactly what's he talking about. He's an idiot, exactly. Please for spect me in the morning. Am I reading from the book of Idiots? I don't know what's happening.
Speaker 42: Don't talk about me. I'm gone joining if you like again, you know the things you say will be turned against yourself something.
Speaker 2: Don't talk about me when I'm gone.
Speaker 21: Goodbye, goodbye.
Speaker 3: Now I'm on my way.
Speaker 42: And I don't care what you say here.
Speaker 19: I'm going home, so.
Speaker 3: Respect me. Ye, Joe discuss me here.
Speaker 24: It's not nice.
Speaker 21: Chris so I hate something down there.
Speaker 28: Joe talk.
Speaker 21: Where I'm gone.
Speaker 3: Well, that's it for me. Tony McManus will hopefully be back at midnight tonight Melbourne time, ten pm, per Time, twelve thirty Adelaide Time. Thank you Jay for all you have done tonight in the program. I look forward to doing it next time we meet. Stand by for your breakfast shows. They'll be coming up on the other side of the news.