Speaker 1: On two GB for BC and network stations. This is Wake Up Australia with Mike Jeffries.
Speaker 2: Good morning, welcome along here. It is Monday morning, beginning of the week and all that. And if you just joined us, welcome to this portion of the segment, this segment of the program, portion of the show. What do you face? On the front pages the career mail, vile messages call for Israel's destruction, hate trends on TikTok and orerent call for Iran to quote unquote just do it and drop a nuclear bomb on Israel has been allowed to trend on TikTok, amassing one point four million views and sparking vile, racist comments. TikTok began removing the content only after questions from the Courier mail. We were talking earlier in the program about Iran versus Israel, and it was pointed out to me over the weekend. It's not that clear cut in that there are lots of people in Iran who do not like the present regime. They don't like the shift that occurred in the late seventies when they went from being well pretty much like a Western country to having the hardline Islamists take over. And if you look at pictures, particularly pictures of women who used to dress like women in the West suddenly being locked up by the morality police for not wearing head covering or whatever expected by the dictatorship and being locked up in jail, and stories about someone particularly coming to DBUS ends like the young lady who died in jail. It's only twenty two and the ruling class said, oh, she had a heart attack or something that people said she'd been beaten to death. So there are people in Iran who are helping people in Israel. And I guess when you think about it, that's not a surprise when you look at some of the pinpoint tactical strikes the Israelis have been able to make happen. Gary's called him from Brisbane morning Gary.
Speaker 3: Yes, good morning, Mike. Year Iran was formerly known as Persia, and I think after that hostage situation that was the end of Jimmy Carter's presidency.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's an interesting point about that era, wasn't it, Because we had somebody at the time a nice guy but not regarded as a strong man. But as soon as it was known that Reagan was going to be the next president. All of a sudden that seemed to resolve itself, didn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, Reagan basically was the governor of California based in Sacramento, and Bush Senior was going to run against him, so they decided to former union and ended up getting about twelve years in their presidency. Reagan got two terms and Bush Senior got one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Ernie, I have two, as you know. But do you want to talk about alligators?
Speaker 3: Yeah, last time I was out of the States was two first twenty two. It was a way for ten weeks. So Masstis went in fired in Texas and for this family in Johnson's City and very much regus and the male said, oh, we're done on a fishing trip down to Three Rivers, which is just not too far from San Antonio, and end up down there. There's about four four or five launches, and the whole river system was alligator in Peston and catching fish and all that sort of stuff. We're doing a different methods. Come across an area there where I saw a couple of ball alligators rising out of the water having a fight over a female. Spectacular it was, but you wouldn't have want.
Speaker 2: To fly no, indeed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's interesting when you see that sort of thing. But then a couple of days later, I was in Randolph Air Force Space watching the US Air Force Thunderbirds. Do they shows second time I've seen them very spectaticularly, you know that thing of Todd Gun, all that aerobatic stuff that was done by the US Navy Marines aerobatic Then you're aware of that yet dimly. Yeah, yeah, Tom Cruise, he might be able to fly light aircraft, but he couldn't remove one of those high speed gets. It's interesting. I'm interested in seeing what's going to happen in Alberta. I've been Alberta a few times. When our so called leader here fronts up at the G seven, it's going to be entertainment, I think, because I think the Donald chewing him up and spreed him out. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm going to talk to a G. Gankawski a bit later in the morning and get his take on what he thinks is likely to happen there, because Elbow keeps saying, oh, we're friends, but I think Trump wants something more than that. When he expects all the allies to pay their way when it comes.
Speaker 3: To defense, well, It's like any think if if I lend you money, you lend me money. We expect a date to something.
Speaker 4: To be paid.
Speaker 3: What a lot of people don't realize. We've got a ten percent GSC here UK has got a twenty percent vat now now national that he is I'd say, realistically, he's in the tree and it's not one half or one point one three. And I think it's.
Speaker 2: Seems going to be trillion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's much more than matter. I think you look at a Watermelon County canbra. I spent two teams with the Navy. It's not it wasn't as bad then as well is there. But I think they seem to have their whole administration, the public service bureaucracy under their farm. And yes, yes a three bags four and no one ever ever doesn't ordered on the speling.
Speaker 2: Well. I did mention a story on the front page of the Camberra Times here about the amount of taxpayers dollars that are going to these big tech companies that Elbow is spooking at the moment, is wanting to invest all this money in this country. But that's an interesting story in itself, and we will see more pretty soon. With albo v Trump. But because if I were a gambling man, and I am to a certain extent, I put my money on Trump. Anyway, Gary appreciates you call. Thank you for ringing.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay, take some more calls later if you want to ring. Just musing on that conversation with Gary talking about the alligators in the southern part of the US. You know, people talk about Australia and the things that will bite you or maybe killer, you know, spiders and snakes and things. But I've got a story here about two alligators being removed from home swimming pools in a single day in a Florida county. Yes, you don't want to see an Eastern brown near the pool, but an alligator in the pool. Or what about a bear being trapped after using doughnuts and then taking a soak in a hot tub. You don't want to see a big brown bear coming out of your hot tub, do you so? Yes, we do have spiders and snakes, but maybe it could be worse. TV panel shows facing Extinction to comment further on this, Media Commentator Managing director of Media Stable Nick Hayes, Morning Neck, Thanks for doing this.
Speaker 4: Good morning Mike.
Speaker 2: Good to be with You now. Q and A got axed, although this is very ABC. It was actually picking up in the numbers, I believe, but got axed anyway, and Ten's decided to end the project. And people have been predicting the end of ten for a very long time. The drum was given the chop. So the sports panel shows they're going great, but political discussion panel shows not so much. Why do you think are they too dull? What is it?
Speaker 4: I don't think necessarily it's dull. I think it's mainly come down to cost, cost of putting programs together. Let's have a quick look at the project. There's a lot of paychecks that have to sit on that panel. You know, anything between four and sometimes five panel members on the project, and it's not cheap TV to do. When the project first kicked off, it was almost a spin off off the panel. Do you remember the panel, Mike, Yes, I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 4: That was a ripper of a show that was a once a week show and it was very sort of for medic different look at news and a little bit of fun. A lot of show business around it as well. But when the project kicked off, it was a Monday to Friday then went on to Sunday. It was originally only used and filmed out of Melbourne now Melbourne and Sydney, and it just became a very costly program to put together. There's up to one hundred staff members that were involved in the project week by week, and fifty of them, as we know now, are going to lose their jobs and fifty of them will be moved around. It is just a costly program to put together.
Speaker 2: I tell you what I don't mind. I do seek it out on Channel ten and that's that show, the Cheap Seats. Have you seen that? I guess you have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have. I'm looking forward to hearing or seeing myself on there one day. No, it's a little bit of fun. It's comedy again. But I think sometimes Mike could be interesting to you from your listeners. I think that I've spoken to many people around the country around the sort of the fall of the panel shows is that they saw the projectors being in verta Commas two woke. A lot of them didn't like Wali Dali. They liked the sort of the former presenters that were there, the Charlie Pickerings that carry Bickmore's the Dave Hughes's the original format, but they tended to look at the show as being a little bit dealing with issues that were probably more First Nations. They were probably to do with the environment. They felt like they were being talked down to, and that was one of the problems. I suppose that a lot of viewers were turning off, and the numbers were certainly dwindling. In the heyday of the project, it was hitting one point one to one point two million people, but it was well below that.
Speaker 2: Talking about what you get and the wokeness, you would be aware of the fact that Greg Guttfeld, with his show on Fox in the US, is outrating the other high profile late night talk shows. He's got more viewers than them put together as far as I know, but he's certainly outrating them all. But they're all pretty woke. They're the old style American format, which I'm not saying is a bad thing, But the stuff that Gutfeld puts to air, I couldn't see executives here allowing that. Could you.
Speaker 4: No, definitely not. I think there is a term. I know we use woke a little bit, we use right wing. We will use conservative media quite a lot. I think the Australian media can't really handle that kind of thing. If it's doing very well, it's because it's appealing to a particular audience, an audience that either fields that hasn't been heard before or is looking for an audience that he wants to know almost you know, that rubber necking. When they see an accident, they just can't take their eyes off it. It's that kind of attraction that they just want to go, what are they going to say next? Shock jock? You know, So the death of the shock jock in radio happens, and I think that Australian media doesn't really cope well with too much shock. There's not a lot of substance there. And at the end of the day, we just want to be educated, informed, or at least given some views to help us form our own opinions. And that's the beauty I think of Australian media is that we do provide a lot of that. People have got choice as where to go. In America, it's a completely different game, and particularly if the precedents sitting over there and encouraging a different format, he's encouraging different views.
Speaker 2: Yes, mind you, it does depend a lot on the host. I think I remember going to see Jhnnie Carson live way back and he just understood the medium so well. In fact, the night I went to see him live, I thought, I've come on a quiet night. But when I went back to the motel, because you know it was recorded for live, as they say in America, but when I went back to the motel, it was exactly right. Although Johnny got very cross with a guest. A guest was pushing something political Johnny didn't want to know about, and you could see was getting cross And so after the show had finished ed McMahon came out and said, oh, can we ask you to pretend that the show's starting again. So they started again and when the show finally went to a, it did not include the guest that was doing what Johnny thought was inappropriate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and look, you know we've got we'd got a very broad range of media here in Australia, and I think a lot of the criticism, particularly ran ab CQ and A was coming from Sky News or coming from Sky as we refer to it after Dark, a very conservative approach to media. They would have a crack and the avc's Media Watch would very much be looking at what's going on at the Sky News, having little DIBs at each other and questioning their values. I suppose their bias if you like.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 4: We have that in Australia, and the beauty of it I love about it is the fact that we can make decisions and choices as to who we consume. I get worried, Mike when I hear just someone just listening to one form of media or not really taking in all that is around. It just helps them shape fame and their opinion and position a little bit better. And that's the scary thing with social media, Mike, is the fact that a lot of people get into their silos and just think and hear and think that this is the one and only true message when there's just so much out there.
Speaker 2: Well, over the years, I have advised my listeners to get their information from a variety of sources. I don't know whether my employers have appreciated me doing other or no.
Speaker 4: Well, no, you just think with Mike Jeffries, everyone, you're doing well listening to Mike, but you know in the morning they'll be listening across the other two GB programs and across the other spectrums of media that are out there and just getting good sound information to be able to make your own choice and decision, because that's what we want. We don't want to be dictated to or told how to think or what to do. We just want enough information to be able to make our own decisions.
Speaker 2: Yes, I actually you've wrote that as a positioning statement for a radio station. When I was the PD, I said, we tell you what's going on, not what to think.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I love that. I used to work for a media monitoring company and we used to give you news you need, not necessarily news you want, and I think too much of us at the moment are just seeking out, particularly on social media, and the younger folk that are running around, they're just getting the news they want and not necessarily the news they need.
Speaker 2: What's reaffirming their views. By the way, here's a question without notice for you. But you took us down that path. You're on a media watch. I don't normally watch media watch, but I've watched it the last two or three weeks, and it doesn't look like media watch to me. It looks like Linton Besse is giving you a digest of what he thought was the news during the week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Linton, since taking over, I watch it religiously market It's part of what I do.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it.
Speaker 4: Has taken on and it's almost getting a little bit too even the bias level. I suppose that he focuses on the commercial networks. He's really going hammer and tong on that. I've got to say, Linton, I know he'll be listening because they listen to everything. Yeah, I'm not a fan of the show at the moment, but I think he's also just trying to find his feet. There's a long track record of Media Watch that's been on and I think the program itself does hold a lot of media to account. In fact, many in the media will say, you've never been in the media unless you've been on Media Watch or been questioned. But look, I think they do a good job. Just a lot of media sometimes don't want to be how to account, and I think we've got to hold everyone to account. And that's the beauty of media that we are regulated, we are looked at. And look, that's why I'll always get my news from mainstream media as opposed to social media, because I know what I'm getting. I don't know what I'm getting on the social Media Side.
Speaker 2: You're right about Media Watch. It's changed a lot over the years, and may I say it's come a long way from Disgusted of Tonridge Wells that was its original BBC name. Did you know that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I did not, And I look, you know, I always laugh at the people that sort of well, I don't always laugh, but I sometimes question why people are so upset when they see themselves on there, and how they react and respond to it. I mean even I've had a text message from Linton regarding a particular segment that was on. You know, you deal and you work with it, but I also say, if we're not rocking the boat, if we're not rattling the trees a little bit, are we really doing our jobs anyway?
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm with you on that.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, So I think it's sometimes it is a little bit of a badge of honor being appearing on Media Watch. It's how you work and deal with them and how you onto it is a real reflection of the brand.
Speaker 2: Nick, appreciate your time and comments. Thank you for coming on the program. Thanks by Nick Kay's media commentator, Managing director of Media Stable and now on Wake Up.
Speaker 1: Australia News Today.
Speaker 2: Yes it is, and here with that news for you is Sessha. Foot Morning, Sessa, Good morning Mike.
Speaker 5: More.
Speaker 6: Explosions have been heard over the skies of Jerusalem and Tel Aviv around State TV says it's launching tens of missiles and drones into the country, which it claims has intercepted layers of Israeli defense systems. New South Wales police are scouring bushland in Sydney's West after a body was found in a reserve at Warrington. Detectives have confirmed a number of items, including clothing, were found near the body, which is believed to have been left there for a period of time. And a man has been killed when a motorcyclist collided with a Toyota Corolla at an intersection in Logan. The fifty seven year old cyclist was declared dead at the scene. The driver of the car was taken to hospital for assessment. Mike more news at the top of the hour.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Sessha. Now to the three AW newsroom and Gail Watson, good morning girl.
Speaker 7: Good morning Well. Victorian GPS want the right to diagnose ADHD and prescribe medication for it, in line with other states and mid concerns it's taking too long to get an appointment with a psychiatrist. Criminals could have their phones and encrypted devices seized under sweeping new Victorian organized crime laws coming into force in two months, and motorbikes could be allowed in Melbourne bus lanes. Trials at several inner city locations have been completed and a draft report is now being prepared.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Gail. Now, I'm just looking at some of the texts here. We were doing a piece on relationships before the four o'clock news and it struck a chord with Sharon, who said she was in a relationship like one of the ones described didn't want to be. It was like an unexploded bomb. And Sharon now says, looking for someone who likes to prune trees, bike, ride and walk and cook, who has Netflix? Yeah, yeah, what do you think? What was that thing that will she used to do Midnight Matchmaker? No, no, no, there's plenty of other platforms doing that sort of thing. But anyway, that's what Sharon is looking for in a partner. Talking about dangerous things in Australia, Peter says the most dangerous thing in Australia that will hurt us all at the moment, is Alban easy? That's what Peter from Bankstown says. Davo says, wonder if Albo will give mister Trump a South's jersey to sweeten the deal? Do you think that had worked? Over and us talking about Iran earlier and making the point that there are a lot of people in Iran who would like to see regime change and very likely assisting the Israelis with information. Jeff from Ladley in Queensland says, Mike, I traveled through around many years ago when the showers still rained, probably the most beautiful women I've ever seen, piercing aquamarine eyes, had the most modern public transport system, then wound the clock back a thousand years tragic. Yes, I agree with you about what happened there, and I think it's entirely likely as people are suggesting to me that maybe these radies are getting some significant help from people who, as I say, are not happy with the government they have in Iran. The lengths should that be the tallness short? Men will go for love now. I read a piece about this the other day, but to comment further. Dating coach and founder of Aligned Connections, Karina Chapman Good morning, Karina, thanks for doing this.
Speaker 8: Good morning.
Speaker 2: So short, guys, try harder. Apparently some ernest institution did a study and decided that something we've all suspect, always suspected, is actually correct. And you want to see a movie called The Materialist, And I haven't seen the movie, but I gathered there's a matchmaker in there, and you were intrigued by what is deemed as ticking all the boxes.
Speaker 8: Explain that's right. I was interested to see what they were putting out their own movies, as to what matchmakers were looking at for people to connect on. And of course, as I suspected, being a movie, it was all about, you know, good looks and wealth and things that maybe went always the most important important. However, the maker herself went on a date with a very wealthy guy and noticed that he had some scars on his legs and he was quite secretive about it, and further on in the movie she finds out that he's had this leg lengthening surgery and he started out at five point six and grew an extra six inches.
Speaker 2: That's a lot. I wonder, did they really lengthen your legs that much?
Speaker 8: They can actually apparently they can do three to four inches on the femurs and three inches on your lower carbs, so they can. But I think it's a very long process and very painful.
Speaker 2: God, and what do they do. They put titanium splints in assembly.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they break surgically break the bone, and then they put like I suppose, a metal cage on the outside and screw that to sort of try and lengthen over time so that the bone will grow back longer. So it sounds quite painful and nasty, but obviously for some it's worth it.
Speaker 2: I was you're talking about the movies and height. You can find this on the old internets. There are photos of some of the stars, some of them fairly recent, wearing these huge elevated things on their shoes. Like there's Humphrey Bogart and these big elevators which are just strapped to his shoes. There's another one with De Niros standing next to al Pacino and DeNiro's wearing these platform boots, which wouldn't have been out of place in the nineteen seventies. In fact, I think they're probably taller than the platforms we wore even then, and this is so they can look tall, particularly when standing next to the ladies. So okay, there's value in what should be valued, and I guess you can tell me how you see that. But it seems like there's some kind of atavistic thing going on here that the ladies do want a tall guy, or at least taller than themselves.
Speaker 8: Yes, I would say the majority of women do like that, But there are definitely those that it doesn't bother them and they don't care if they're dating a short guy. They're well heels, they're quite confident and it doesn't bother them, and that's great. But for a lot of women, they do have this thing that they don't want to be the tall Perhaps we feel like if it's the woman that's the tallest when they come upon some trouble, maybe we're supposed to step in front to sort the trouble out and protect the guy. And maybe that's why they like someone taller to Well, that would have.
Speaker 2: Been my guest that they want a tall guy because he's a big guy who can protect them. I mean, if we keep going in the story action, we're going to stray into why women marry thugs, because exactly I'm told that they think that thugs, you know, will protect them. Yeah, yeah, but we're just talking about height now. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I think it's a subconscious thing, maybe back from cavemen time, where we were in that situation that we would need.
Speaker 3: To be protected.
Speaker 8: So it's not really as relevant now, thank goodness. But perhaps some still have that from them and they don't even know why they don't like a guy that's too short. But again, most people are quite happy with someone that's maybe just a couple of inches taller. But again, I've known many people that are very happy with someone that short or taller, depending on which way it's around, and haven't got a problem.
Speaker 2: At the other extreme, I have seen really tall guys with really petite women.
Speaker 8: Exactly, you've got to get a leck ache. Surely when you're bening down for a kiss, it would be a bit hard, and you stood as a girl that you were under revamped or something, wouldn't you.
Speaker 2: Yes, I suppose so. But you know, they seem like they're happy enough. But I'm sure you're right. You know, it's the caveman thing, the atavistic thing. There's some programming in there that says, go for the bigger guy. Although I know a woman she was the mother of a girl I used to go out with, and her daughters were all fairly petite, and she said, oh, I know I should have married a taller man. So are they really thinking that far ahead? Taller man will give me bigger kids?
Speaker 8: I guess there could be a few that maybe a thinking that, especially if they've struggled with their own heighth, if they do feel that they're extra short they can't reach things. They think, well, hey, if I marry a short guy as well, then our offspring could be perhaps even shorter, and how will they cope in the world. So it could be that, but I think it's more of an afterthought rather than a planned thing of you know, how tall will my children be with whichever guy that I'm going for? So well, hopefully this anyway, most people I know don't tend to think that way, but it can be a good afterthought.
Speaker 2: Just thinking about the movie guys, you know, like Comphrey Bogart, he wasn't that short. I think he was five eight. I think somebody said he's between five five and a half and five nine and a half. Notice something going back to imperial because that works for us when we think about human height, do you think going back to the theme of what we're discussing here that short guys try harder for love. There's something about these short guys that are projecting something that comes across the green and works for them.
Speaker 8: I think so, yes, yes, And I think too if they do feel that height could be an issue or a challenge, then maybe they are putting more emphasis in being a great communicator or having a great sense of humor, or you know, being a really interesting person so that the issue of height isn't even an issue because they're such a dazzling personality. So perhaps that helps them hone other skills that can make them a lot more successful in life.
Speaker 2: In many areas, short guys try harder.
Speaker 8: They could, and they might actually get all the results as well, because maybe the tall ones are standing over in the corner and they're missing out on all the great girls because the short ones are going and actually asking them to dance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well that could be right. And what about for tall women? Is it tougher for them?
Speaker 8: Absolutely? I do have quite a few people that I know over to taller and that the girls do find it that they'd rather not date anyone shorter because then they're conscious of or maybe I need to wear flat heels, or you know, I need to stoop down a bit myself. But that's only an a percentage. A lot of other women feel very comfortable with their height and are happy to wear heels. I mean, goodness, look at Nicole Kidman. I mean she's married two short guys, now, hasn't she?
Speaker 2: That's right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well but then once again, you know, I mean, Urban's got a great music career, and Tom Cruise because got the fantastic career. Might as you thinking about it, of course, he really does go out of his way to do these really daring things. Is he trying to prove he's a man?
Speaker 8: Well you do wander that, don't you. You need to try a bit harder with the action movie, yes, make up for his fights. We'll never know, but I certainly think that's a possibility.
Speaker 2: But you know, I think back a couple of years at a gathering. I don't even know how I came to be there, but it was out on a rooftop terrace and lots of people were pretty happy. I think they'd had a few drinks or a few smokes or something. But there was a very attractive, tall woman who was explaining to me that she was basically looking for a man who was tall enough for her, and we all got an appraisal along the way. She was saying, I'm looking at that, and she's saying, you know, well you'd pass or you wouldn't pass, or whatever. Like I say, I think she had had a few drinks, but in vino veritas and all that, the mere fact that she was doing it liberated apparently after a couple of drinks shows that there was something on her mind, doesn't it.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, It obviously is something that she's constantly looking at and appraising in the search for who would be a good match for her. So obviously for her it was really important. And in fact, I've worked with guys that are fairly short as well, and they're very conscious of their height. So for example, a gentleman I worked with was five foot five and very very successful in business, good looking guy, really, you know, had his own business, was really great. But when we talked about putting him onto a dating site and putting the height there, he was like, oh, do I.
Speaker 5: Have to do I have to put it on there.
Speaker 8: I said, well, actually yeah, and we can't lie because if you add an extra couple of inches. As soon as someone meets you, they know, and then of course they think, well, hang on, well he's definitely not say five eight or nine like you said, so what else are they lying about? So then you've got that sort of distrust perhaps of what else could be wrong. So I said, look, put on exactly how tall you are, because we want to cut out all the women that aren't interested in someone your height, so then you can concentrate on all the women that are interested in someone your height and many other things that you've got that are assets. So I sort of talked him into her, and before he knew it, he connected with this wonderful woman and height was not an issues.
Speaker 2: That's a great that's a great result. I was going to say, you could have pointed out that he was a lot taller when he was sitting on his wallet.
Speaker 8: I could have, and he would have been. But that's not what we're all looking for. You know, good money and height doesn't always equal long term great relationships, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: No, obviously like that. You obviously did the right thing by him there. Karina appreciates your time and comments. Is always thank you for coming on the program.
Speaker 8: Oh, what's a pleasure. Thanks Mike.
Speaker 2: Karina Chapman Daty, coach, founder of Aligned Connections. Talking about the taller Nosity, Greg says, Mike, I work with a lot of security in pubs and a lot have lifts in their shoes. How about that they look more imposing when they're telling somebody to get out? Sharon said, ladies need a man taller of their high heels to accommodate that. Yes. As for the panel shows, Mick says, yes, the sports panel shows are growing all the time. Remember last year on one, panelists described Albanezi going into the winner's rooms after the game as sickening. Yes, very appropriate term, says Mick. And speaking of sports, a.
Speaker 1: Sports update thanks to west End Motor Group incorporating Paramatta and Blacktown Master, two great master dealerships, same great people, same great service, seven days a week.
Speaker 2: The Bulldogs held onto top spot on the NRL Ladder with the twenty four to eighteen win over South's despite missing four Origin stars and of course that dramatic weather delay that was quite the five minute storm in Sydney. Play halted for twenty eight minutes in the first half when lightning struck near a Course Stadium, forcing players, officials and fans to see cover. It was the first lightning stoppage in nearly a decade, echoing a twenty fifteen Anzac Day match. Despite the drama, Canterbury claimed their eleventh winner of the season, keeping their Premiership push on track.
Speaker 1: And now on Wake Up Australia. Artist in the Spotlight.
Speaker 2: I thought I'd play this in honor of the Beach Boys, because you know, the the Marian Wilson boy passed away last week. But for some reason, somebody put a photo of the lads up on Facebook and people sent me copies of it, and the caption to the photo of the mature age Beach Boys was I didn't know Mike Jeffries was in the Beach Boys. And the allegation is that in this photo I kind of looked like Mike Love So I tested it on the backroom guys here and they said, well, maybe yes, kind of a little bit. The least I can do is play this song, yes in Tookemo they're the Beach Boys. I don't really think I look like Mike Love. Well, I don't know. People say maybe a little bit. We will have the news and in the next portion of the program. I want to talk to A. G. Gankowski about, of course, among other things, whether we're really getting in the recognition and Trump's meeting with Elbow. Anyway, we'll explore that after the news now on.
Speaker 1: Two GV for BC and network stations. Back to Wake Up Australia with Mike Jeffries.
Speaker 2: Good morning, welcome to the program, Welcome to the new day, the new week and all that if you just joined us. I'm looking at the Finn Review here on the front page. It has, among other stories, we're doing our bit PM to tell Trump this is about the face to face scheduled between Donald Trump and Albow in Canada. That's how we see it here. Well, according to finn Review. I like to talk to A. G. Gankowski from the New York Post to see how he sees it from where he is. Good morning, Age, thanks for doing this.
Speaker 5: Good morning Mike, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Would I be wrong in saying this probably isn't getting a lot of coverage where you are, the fact that Albanisi and Trump are going to meet in a couple of days.
Speaker 5: There's a why that's knocking down the headlines right now, and it shouldn't be but with the war between Israel and Iran, the protests, the Presidence military parade. Yeah, I mean it's an important issue and it's important to keep that BI a lot of relationship. But Donald Trump's got a lot on his plate right now. So yeah, I think, especially with China always being in the picture, Australia is always going to be important and I expect there will be some news come out of this this week, but it's not something that people are really looking forward to and in the news cycle, per Se.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about something that you said last time we spoke. You can choose the US or China. I think this government's being a little bit vague on that. I don't know how significant disease in the long run, but they're not actually supporting the two right wingers in the Knesset, and Albot keeps saying, oh, we're friends with the US. Well, yes, we like to think that we are. But I just wonder if he's playing on that a little bit too much. I think Trump might expect a bit more than just hey, Donald, we might I think he really does want to see other countries come to the party when it comes to more money being spent from g DP on defense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, And I consider with Donald Trump, and as with all politicians, there are things said for public assumption and things said in private, so there's always a gap between the two. With President Trump, and you know, my expectation is that and there will be some sort of much understanding, there will be some positives to build on after the meeting. What they are, I can't predict this, but I think you will get some commitments from the Australian side to do a little bit more.
Speaker 2: So when it comes to what's happening in the Middle East, it was pointed out to me on the weekend, and you know, I went into it a bit more and looked at dates and times when what happened did and I think it's pretty fair to say that there would be people in Iran who really want to see regime change, but not in the position to do it themselves, but may very well be giving useful information to the Israeli ed forces.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean we've been hearing that there have been elements in Ronda when regime changed for forty five years now, so that's nothing new. And every time that you know, tensions flare up between the US and Israel, and Iran we see more of that. I think what we see with those stunning targeted attacks as political assassinations put off by Israel on the first day is you know, Israel has that advantage in terms of targeting, in terms of knowing where these people are. You know, they're using things like Palenteer and you know, they they've got that intelligence edge that may just be a little bit more than people inside. But you got to consider also that at this point there are masade elements that are at the highest elements of of the Iranian government. There are people with knowledge and that comes into play too. So you know, it's it's really something where you know, I think it's the two things going together, but you know, regime changes, that's something ultimately, you know, the the Iranians are going to have to do. Trump allegedly said no to assassinating Kamani, and that's been reported to the US press today. Whether that's true or whether that's you know, faith is just there to be provocative. That's a matter of interpretation, and of.
Speaker 2: Course, you know, to be really blunt about it, does it really make that much difference what he thinks ought to be done?
Speaker 5: What are you taling about Trump.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, okay, I mean the position that we see here is with the Israelis attacking the nucleosides to begin with, at least Trump is saying, hey, I didn't say to do that, but he's kind of it seems saying, you know, but I did in a way, or what I've done is contributed to what Netanya who had to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, and really there there is cooperation between the US and Israel and US is it going to be US troops, you know, such as we saw in Iraq or Afghanistan. I don't think so. In terms of air resources, in terms of logistical support, there is that cooperation. Trump is kind of in a box here because there are a lot of people and then Make America Great Again movement of his popular space who are tired of Middle Eastern Wars. I mean, if you're an American under the age of you know, fifty, you've seen the Middle Eastern War your entire adult life. There's a rock one rock to Afghanistan, and it hasn't really benefited the average American in terms of quality of life, in terms of standard of living. Now, if you own defense stocks that it has benefited to you if you're a contractor has benefited you, but you by and large, these these wars in the US position in the least is something that it's popular as older people and younger people, and it's something that you know, mab that requires Trump to play it a little bit quieter than he otherwise might. Then he might this had happened in his first turn.
Speaker 2: Different reactions. There are different reactions about these street demos. I was looking at the leader of the Greens having a lovely, warm chat with a lady on the ABC, and they're blaming Trump for everything, including Paul Lauren being shot in the foot by the copper. You know, I'm sorry that happened to Laurence. She reports on the program, does a great job, but I don't know if you can directly hold Trump responsible for that. On the other hand, I don't know what you think about The Hill, but it seems to me, although it's a little bit left leaning, it's one of the more sane publications over there, you know, in Washington, and they're saying that these street demos a really creating a very narrow path for the Democrats to walk. Going back to what you said about the people who support Trump, I mean, if the Democrats come out too strongly and seem to be supporting the street demos, which some people say are being funded and organized, then it's a bit too easy for Trump to say, well, look at California, let the Democrats run the place, and this is what happens.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that's a very perceptive point, because these protests do not benefit Democratic Party apparatus. I mean Democratic Party. Yes, they're farther left in Republicans, but they're basically corporate centrists. They're much like Republicans work twenty five years ago. So there's not really They want that youthful energy that can be helpful during elections, but they don't have candidates to match up to it. They don't have political figures they can really respond to all of the the laundry list of things that the protesters want. Because you've got some who are pro homos, You've got some here pro Mexican, You've got others that can play other issues in there. It's it's a coalition of extremes, but the overlap is not absolute, and it's not really a political a politically viable coalition. It's it's reminiscent actually of the January sixth protests back in twenty twenty one, that that Trump struggle to keep under under wraps. And I think the commentary with both is that you have for boxwarves, you have people who aren't part of the coren movements. We are brought in to sort of make things go in a direction that isn't constructive for the aims of the protest. And you know, that's a that's a common threat of all American protests movements. Something is big enough, and you know it's being infiltrayed by somebody, you know, And that's I think the case with these No Kings protests. And we saw political assassination loosely linked to the No Kings. A couple of lawmakers in Minnesota were shot by a guy with No Kings flyers in this car. You know, is that correlation or causation? The fact that we're discussing it eraises questions for really some people.
Speaker 2: Well even here, people you know who don't necessarily follow the news that closely, have noticed that the protests, if we can call them that, to being supplied with some very fancy gear to protect themselves against rubber bullets and mice gas and the kind of thing that the police are using to quell the mobs. And somebody on social media said they're get off at one hundred and fifty bucks a day to protest. Somebody else said they are off for two hundred bucks a day. So the usual suspects, you know, George Sarrs and people like that, and once again suspected of helping it all along.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, and we have the same discussions in this country too, And there are West wing movements that are they have their fingerprints on the process. But you know there's also the you know, you pay somebody all the duvil back, you know, you give them, you know, cash and you have them go at it. And yeah, yeah, that's that's a familiar way for people to make some pocket change, people who aren't conventionally employable into the worst.
Speaker 2: Apparently, he g you appreciate your time and comments is always thanks for coming on the program.
Speaker 5: Thank you have a great week, you too.
Speaker 2: That's a G. Gankowski from the New York Post. He's a journalist and commentator for that publication. I'm looking to text here from Ian. You going back to the tool guy thing again. Ian, He says, Mike, I've learned a bit more or on your show, Ree Young Albow, should we have a bigger man when meeting Trump? Without being nasty? Ian says, I just wondered, will he win up against big Trump. I don't know. In time will tell. I think he's, as I said to Age, he's overdoing the we're friends, we're friends. I think Trump is expecting more than that. Myself talking about the short men, because if you just joined us, we're talking about short men syndrome. And I was commenting on the fact that a lot of the classic heroes in the movies where these giant platforms, particularly when they're standing next to a female, And Michael says, how do these short men get those roles? Well, it's a good question, I guess he. Michael says, you don't see a short ass. James Bond, Well, we looked it up and you're right. Most of them are over six foot except Daniel Craig is five ten. That's not exactly short. But did he wear lifts? I don't really know. Connery was six two, Lesibie was six to Timothy Dalton six one and a half, Roger Moore six to one, and Pierce Brosnan six to one. So they all met Fleming's description because when Ian Fleming wrote the book, he said James Bond was six foot me. I got to get out of here in a minute, well a minute and a half actually. Ben Fordham will be along after the news on two GB and he'll be followed by Mark Levy at at the nine o'clock news and coming up on four PC. Peter Figan Christ from Ingerdean says, you're like me. The metric system since nineteen seventy one, but still people think of people's height in feet and inches and widescreen TVs. I think it works better for certain things. I don't think the metric system helped us much. See Fred here has a cause to meet, He says, I Mike, it's time to stop the use of oh when it's zero, Oh is not a number? Yeah, I agree, but it's kind of easier to say, isn't it. Please help the cause? Thanks Fred from Wilson Craft. Look, I do my best. I say zero when it's zero.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 2: Now we've got a comment here saying that Trump is going to have elbow for breakfast. We need to get rid of the illegal migrants here. Well, that's what I mean. I think a lot of folks support what Trump is doing, but that's what we were discussing with mister Gankarski. Anyway, I think I did everything I wanted to Chinese bank bud from offering customers free Laboo boo dolls. But I guess that can waite have a good week. I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in. Yeah yeah, oh yeah, what condition
Speaker 1: My condition was in.