Speaker 1: Welcome to Sunday Night, Cruise.
Speaker 2: Imagine is you and now here's your radio, Reverend Bill Cruise.
Speaker 3: When I will.
Speaker 4: A great, big, warm welcome to your Sunday Night family. You, yes, you, you really are welcome here and we're all together on air, on digital and online. So come on call in now, call in and share with us on one three one eight seven three. Coming up, we'll be talking to Leoni Sheedy, the co founder and CEO of care Leavers Australasia Network, who are about to celebrate twenty five years of service to the community. And later this hour p Wee Wilson, the founding member of the Dell Tones, joins us. After ten I'm joined in the Netherlands by doctor Philip Nitsky about voluntary assisted dying, pushing boundaries and the new role for AI. And in our last hour, we'll talk to Nick Brown, the CEO of Street Side Medics, which is a not for profit delivering a free GP led mobile medical service to people experiencing homelessness. Well Rahan has threatened to use all forced needed to defend itself after the United States President Donald Trump ordered American aircraft to bomb three Iranian nucleo Sytes in what he called a spectacular military success and historic moment for the world.
Speaker 5: A short time ago, the US military carried out massive precision strikes on the three key nuclear facilities. Our objective was the destruction of irans nuclear enrichment capacity and a stop to the nuclear threat posed by the world's number one state sponsor of terror. Tonight, I can report to the world that the strikes were a spectacular military success. Iran's key nuclear and Richmond facilities have been completely and totally obliterated around the bully of the Middle East must now make peace. If they do not, future attacks would be far greater and a lot easier.
Speaker 4: Global leaders feared Trump's major intervention in the conflict would further destayed the Middle East. As the President warned, Iran must make peace or face further attack. The Iranian Foreign ministry accused the US of criminal aggression and urged the United Nations to respond. A summit in Geneva yesterday with the Iran's foreign minister and European leaders yielded no signs of a breakthrough. The death told from Israel's attacks on Iran has risen to more than four hundred, including many women and children. At least twenty four people have been killed in Iranian attacks on Israel. Come on, we do you reckon? This is all going? Is America's participation in the war to be a good or a bad thing? How important is it to strip Iran of its nuclear capabilities? Is it possible that the Iranian regime might collapse? And what would that mean for Putin and Russia if they lose a key strategic partner. Is it possible that the conflict might spread if other countries become involved? How could Australia become involved as one of America's leading allies. The Australian government has released a statement calling for de escalation of the Middle East and acknowledging the risk post by Iran's nuclear program, in which it did not endorse the United States strikes. The Australian government has released a statement calling for de escalation of the Middle East and acknowledging the risk post by Iran's nuclear program, in which it did not endorse the United States strikes. Do you reckon the government's got it right? Your thoughts on the Israeli Iran conflict and how the US is involved and where you think it's all headed? One, three, one, eight, seven three, and earlier this month, a pedestrian in Perth tragically died after being struck by an e scooter. This followed the death of another person Victoria last month who were sit and killed by a modified e bike which police alleged could travel at ninety kilometers per hour. At least two patients per day, that so many people. Just one major emergency hospital in Queensland is treating due to an alarming rise in east scooter accidents. The injuries are so complex, so severe, patients are being assessed just like high speed car crash victims. This is what Dr Michael Kane, had a public policy at the RACQ, had to say about the problem.
Speaker 6: Well, what we've seen in Queensland over the last six years is six three hundred people admitted to Queensland emergency departments and tragically we have seen fifteen people being killed in the last two and a half years alone. And what we're also seeing, which is terrible, is that people who are not dying or are not receiving brain injuries are than receiving major facial injuries. These are life changing injuries for people.
Speaker 4: Now a crackdown could see stand up scooters band and modified device has seized. Here's what doctor Kaine says needs to be done well.
Speaker 6: The RACQ is asking for the impounding of what are illegal e scooters and e bikes. Some of these e scooters go up to one hundred and ten kmeters an hour. That's not a scooter, that's a vehicle. Mopeds are only allowed to go up to fifty We also want to see on legal stand up e scooters that you wear a full face helmet and the scheme scooters the highest scooters that we see across a number of Australian cities. We want those scooters to be sit down e scooters because they're much safer. We also want to see money invested in our separated pathways because e scooters and e bikes do have a positive and they do help us address congestions, so we need to invest more in the pathway infrastructure.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, New South Wales is looking to legalize the scooters under a new safety framework. So what are your thoughts on e bikes and e scooters. Do you think the many benefits of e bikes and e scooters outweigh the problems Have you personally had any problems with them on footpaths. Should there be limits on how fast these vehicles can travel? Would a licensing of users or registration of e bikes and e scooters be a good idea? Does the federal government have a clear role to play in stemming the endpoint of e bikes and e scooters that exceed the legal limits for public use in Australia? Should local government and road authorities have the power to declare areas where footpath riding is not permitted. Even though e bikes and e scooters have many benefits, such as improving urban accessibility and giving people scope to reduce or even eliminate carbon emitting car use, do those examples highlight their associated risks? What about displaying speed limits for e bikes and e scooters using radar guns as is already done in Queensland and issuing fines We're appropriate Your thoughts on the current debate about e bikes and e scooters and their place in the community one three, one eight seven three And because we got peewee coming up, I thought we should play this.
Speaker 7: When I was a little boy, my daddy used to see it on me.
Speaker 8: So we got a lot of bigger plans and a lot of hard work to be done. Go get your marbles, put them in the house, tear down your castles in the sand, Come with your pappy.
Speaker 9: Two of the match.
Speaker 10: Gettle little dirt on your hands.
Speaker 11: Get a little dirt on your hands, boy, get a little dirt on your hand.
Speaker 7: If you want to crow up to be a big big man.
Speaker 10: You gotta get a little dirt.
Speaker 3: On your hands.
Speaker 11: Tr to get a little dirt on your hand.
Speaker 7: Oh well, I got to be twenty, and I thought I was a pretty big wee. Left the country for the city. Made a sticker with a shade, he said, A hold of the tavern, drinkle the money, Run as fast as you can. If you gonna get along in this big, bad world, gotta.
Speaker 10: Kid a little there on your hand, Get.
Speaker 11: A little there on your hands, or get a little there.
Speaker 9: On your hand.
Speaker 7: Gonna crun up to be a big big man, you gotta.
Speaker 3: Get a little there on your hand.
Speaker 11: You gotta get a little dirt on your hand.
Speaker 4: Well, now it's four in the.
Speaker 10: Water and the warden is calling my name.
Speaker 7: Say he's teaching me a list and gonna send me after.
Speaker 3: Work in the head.
Speaker 8: Dig that ditch, boy, Chop that cold I gotta make you understand.
Speaker 7: Only way to straighten out a guy like you.
Speaker 10: Is to get a little. But if you're going a ground up to be a big, big.
Speaker 12: Man, you gotta little on your head.
Speaker 10: You gotta get a little. You gotta get a little.
Speaker 3: There you got.
Speaker 4: You, Tony, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 13: Evening, Bill good I can I just say, can I just say this, but the Iran and Iran American Israel going toward each other, I just say Trump and then you know they're a disgrace. They are. They are disgrace, biggest warmongers. But I'm not here to try. I'm not here to try and defend a round. But they're not aggressive. An Run didn't attack anyone. And there's no there's no actual proof that that's actually built, built it built any nuclear weapons. What American and Israel doing, it's an illegal act of aggression. If we're if you're Russia or China invading another country, well, well we'd be calling it out. The West would be calling it out. The West should be calling out what Israel in America are doing.
Speaker 4: So what's your solution?
Speaker 13: Well, Bill, you remember remember when Obama and you Run had that deal back ten years ago. Where if where you run drops drops the nuclear program in the West, stop Storb sanctions. We need to bring that back. Trumps scraped the whole thing. Look where we are now?
Speaker 4: Good point god Listian. Thanks for your call, Tony.
Speaker 1: Bill Gruz on Sunday night.
Speaker 4: Hi Steve, Welcome to the show mate.
Speaker 14: Yeah there you going look more take on it is this. Look, I'm a peaceful guy and I want place in the wall as everyone else does. There's you know, there's there's it's just a but the thing is, when you've got a religious group of not cases that want to just kill everyone else, you've got to take them out, you know, a blame Trump for doing that. You can't because because you know, they aren't predictable. Where there's there doesn't do because there's the hate in the you know, this has been having for a long time, the hate in them in their heads has been just jeweled into for thousands of years, and you can't. There's no way of stopping him, and there's no way of being able to control it unless you you've got to, you know, you know, not work them to have the power to do. You know, the Jewish people have got a tiny little bit of land. But the really I think it's about quarter the thoughts of Tasmania and they're not doing anything to anyone, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, The point though these isn't it. I can't work out why they want to enricheranium to sixty percent when it's way beyond if they keep saying, no, we're not doing it for to set to make a bomb. But you wouldn't need stuff that that strong to do things like that, you know, if you weren't going to make a bomb.
Speaker 14: So what are you What you're saying is is the r N needs need to be hit. No.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying is I don't think they were telling the truth. For one thing, I don't I might be wrong about that. And the other thing is that it's it's yeah, like if they're not telling the truth, how do you really know what's going on? I heard this stuff today that they're really into protecting the regime and make sure it stays, you know, make sure the regime keeps going well, and that that could be done by just dragging out and dragging out and saying, well, one day we may have a bomb or something like that. But it's difficult to know, and do you let people who are a threat have a bomb because they've been doing things like helping Russia and Ukraine and all of that. So it's not a not a good look, is it.
Speaker 14: Well it's tough a little bit. I mean we've got to you know, and I think I think Trump's done the right is just take it out and then get and get rid of the threat. You know, you can't have that that sort of you know, Americas, you know, as much as people don't like America and what reasons why I don't want America, but but you know, they've been pretty peaceful nation. I don't go around, you know, doing stuff to other people, you know where where where. We're pretty secular, even in Australia. But we've got to we were you know, when there's a bully and there's a threat, and there's in these people that have have mindless you know this this this will.
Speaker 4: It's scary, isn't it. And in lots of ways this will either be a master stroke a Trump or a mistake, wen't it. We won't know for a while.
Speaker 14: We won't but you know, look, I'll just running up Bill because you know, I just prefer you did that that he didn't. If you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Good mate, thanks for your call. Simon. Hello, Hello, Simon.
Speaker 15: Good a Reverend Cruse. Interest in regards to the mopeds or the scooters, Yes, I think they should keep him, but make sure they were a helmet, otherwise severe penalty. While the city's highly populated, it's it's quite handy to have a scooter.
Speaker 16: I would have thought.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 15: And the bigger picture for me, Reverend Cruise, is high speed rail out of the country areas get You know, the government won't spend the money because they don't have it, but I think it's something to be looked at down the track.
Speaker 4: Well, I know there are groups looking at it. There's there's a group been looking at Melbourne to Brisbane sort of thing and where it would go. But it'll cost billions of dollars.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 15: They spend a lot of billions on other things, Reuben, They.
Speaker 4: Sure do, mate. I can think of a few maybe maybe not subs. You know we could do some of it with that, couldn't we. God God bless your Simon. But you think about the helmets, is right? I think everybody on something made her eyes like that. Everybody should have a helmet because it's just too dangerous and and all the poor people working upon the footpath they need to be safe too. I'd hate it that people walking on the footpath wud have to have helmets. But the way that things are going, you never know, do you. God bless you and thanks for your call.
Speaker 10: Mate.
Speaker 4: You probably heard the only Shedy, the co founder and CEO of care Leavers of Australia Network, many times over the years talking about the wonderful worker organization does to highlight the plight of children who were neglected or abused while in institutional care. And clan is about to celebrate twenty five years of service. So I've got over on the line, haven't I. Welcome to the program and congratulations on twenty five years Leoni.
Speaker 17: Thanks Bill, and you're very central to this story because you gave us two workers twenty five years ago and you allowed us to hold our first public meeting for state wards and home children at the time, and you know, we only had twenty two members, you know, the day before that meeting, and then three hundred and fifty people attended that first meeting.
Speaker 4: The church was full, Yes.
Speaker 17: It certainly was. They came from Cannes, Melbourne, Woollongong, all over New South Wales. Some people couldn't walk in your building, you know, Bill, I think you're aware of that because yes, because it was a church and they'd been so badly harmed by the churches of this country and they refuse to walk in there. So are very angry at us.
Speaker 4: So tell us about plan and the work you do so clan.
Speaker 17: You know, we publish a newsletter every month. We help with finding families. We help with getting access to records from the home they were in or the home records plus the government state ward files. People don't know that there's two lots of records. We help with having socials all around Australia. We help everybody, you know. We don't care the color of your eyes. If you grew up in an orphanage, children's home, mission or foster care, you're welcome. But we do we have to have a limit because we don't get any funding for the post nineteen nineties. This was established for older care leavers who have been left unsupported all their lives. We do assist those younger ones, but we have to have a limit of counseling sessions for them because we don't receive any government funding, and there's nobody helping those people that slip through the crack.
Speaker 4: There were tens of thousands, when't they off Australians placed in state and religious and charity run orphanages last century and halfway through this one.
Speaker 17: Well, the Senate Inquiry who did a report into children in institutional care State there were five hundred thousand Australians who were raised in the nine hundred plus orphanages, children's homes, missions reformatories, training ships, training schools. We don't really know how many. We really don't.
Speaker 4: And overall they were abusive, weren't they?
Speaker 17: They were not a n nice place to grow up in separate.
Speaker 4: I can't understand that. You know, you're thinking to be kind.
Speaker 17: People, wouldn't you, Well, you would think that, and there were some kind people that we have to acknowledge that. But you know, the kind people didn't last very long in the orphanages because they were the procedures and policies were so restrictive that people could people couldn't work under those conditions. And many people I've met in twenty five years people have told me, oh, my sister worked in a children's home, but she had a breakdown because what they were doing to the children.
Speaker 12: She had to leave.
Speaker 4: Now you were one, tell us about your experience.
Speaker 17: I'm one of seven Sheedy children, and we went to a total of twenty six Victorian orphanages and children's homes, and that doesn't count the number of holiday house that we were farmed out to. You know, one day, I remember, I've just put this all together, the bill, this is just a bit personal. Well, one day on a Saint Catherine's re union, I was in an orphanage, Catholic orphanage in Geelong, and the nun said to me, go over there and speak to your sister. I said, I don't have a sister here. She said, yes, you do, go over and say hello to your sister. I said, I don't have a sister here. She'd go over and say hello to your sister, Kathleen. I went over to this woman, Hello, Hello. I can't really remember. And that was the first and only time I saw her, and was on the twenty sixth of April nineteen sixty four. And the reason why I said, I've only put it together, Why did I answer that none like that? Well, because I did have sisters at Saint Catherine's but they had left, you know, prior to this other sister coming along and meeting me, my sisters had left and I was the only sheedy girl there. And so that's why I said to the nun, I don't have a sister here. But I only just thought, why did I answer her like that? And so that's sister. I've never saw her again. She's dead and.
Speaker 4: You know this is this is her real Now. On the Sister of July, you're having a special celebration of twenty five years of care Leavers Australia's network. What do you got planned?
Speaker 17: Well, we've got lawyers coming to tell people how they can get justice. We've got the National Redress Scheme from Camper coming, and we've got some people from the New South Wales hopefully the government coming. We've got Tanya Pleas, a big she she's now the Minister responsible for Social Services and Redress. She's attending. We've got Joanna speaking, Joanna Penglaize. We've got Jim Goddard, who is the chair of our sister organization, care Leavers Association in Manchester coming, Jim Ludy, our past president, Frank Golding, Joanna and we're launching a book called Meta Clanny and that's the personal stories of We've gathered those stories of careleavers who have literacy problems and we would interview them and write their stories up and that book is going to be very important. So we're launching that book. We've got a speaker on the Australian Orphanage Museum and we're hoping the Prime Minister will come.
Speaker 4: How do people find out about it? How do we get more information?
Speaker 17: They can go to Clan's website orw dot ww dot Clan cla n dot org dot au or go to ring the office on one eight hundred eight seven seventy four Bill the Prime. I was asked by my Federal member Richard marsh is a patron of clan and he said to me, Leoni is a Prime Minister of Australia. Ever come to a plan of I said no, never. He said, let's see what.
Speaker 18: We can do.
Speaker 4: Let's see what we can do. God bless you Leone and thanks for talking to us tonight.
Speaker 19: My pleasure.
Speaker 17: Thank you and you're going to be there, aren't you?
Speaker 14: Yep?
Speaker 4: Ruth is Leone's story your story? You ring me one three one eight seven three.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Sunday Night Crews.
Speaker 10: The malaboom.
Speaker 4: Ian. Pe Weee Wilson is the founding member of the Deltones. He formed the del Tones in ninety fifty eight along with Noel Widerberg, Warren Lucas and Brian Perkins. Now I'm really thrilled and I'm honored to say I got pee Wee. You's agreed to chat with us tonight. Good a mate, Good to talk to you. I love the story of how you guys started out. You grew up on the beaches Eastern suburbs of Sydney, joined Bronnie Surfclife Saving Club as a team, found yourself harmonizing some lines with a couple of blokes in the bathroom. That's how it all started.
Speaker 14: That's probably some of that love made. At that time. There was a record out called Looking for an Echo, done by a doop group called Quosed, and we thought it was marvelous. Well what are they talking about? But we found out in the shower room of the Bronnie Surf Club it just was a lovely sound for four part harmony. So that's pretty all they how it all started.
Speaker 4: So you wouldn't have imagined it had gone for five decades, would you.
Speaker 14: As a matter of fact, we thought it was going to go for five weeks. I don't know, it was.
Speaker 20: It was sort of such a thrilling time at that time. But it didn't stop us from giving up our jobs and getting back on jetting on the road. It we didn't suffer at all from any any but in fact, we tossed our jobs in Bill after about six weeks of harmonizing and it was just such a current and wonderful time.
Speaker 4: So how did that original Dell Tones lineup get together just in the Surf Club?
Speaker 20: Well, you know, there was a confidence that the marbous cole Joy was was doing a dance at the Surf Club and Warren Lucas was in the audience of that that night, and Warren was a member of the Presence, another vocal group, so we poached him and came into the room, and also Brian Perkins who was a member of the Teddy Bears. So we poached these two guys, took them into the into the shower room and broke into four part harmony, and we knew right away then this was this was the go This is what we wanted to do, and that's how it very well started.
Speaker 4: How did you guys know four part harmony? Had you done it at school or something?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 20: We had that was quite I was actually harmonizing the duet with Noel Weiderberg. And Noel was was quite a musician, a wonderful pianout player, the late Noel Waderburg, a wonderful pouan found a player, and he also knew a lot about harmonies, and he was the driving force when we started off. He seemed to know all about it, and we just followed his lead.
Speaker 4: So is it true you were discovered by Bob Rogers?
Speaker 20: Yes, we did, as a matter of fact, Bob with the coptic at the time, and there was no security on the door in those days, so we just sort of burst into the studio and between records we started to harmonize a song that Noel had written, called Why, and he listened to the half of song and put his hand up and said, thank you, that he'll do, and then got straight on the phone to Lee Gordon, the big promoter in those days, and he had Johnny O'Keefe in his office with him, and I remember Bob saying to Lee Gordon I've got your vocal group here to do the backups for Johnny O'Keefe, And we were thrilled right right away because Johnny was rising star in those days. So I went along to the office and Johnny gave him gave us half a dozen of his hits and we took them my home and learned them, and the next thing we knew, Bill, we were on the stadium kind of four or five thousand kids and just just doing our own set and also doing the backups for the late great Johnny o'keef.
Speaker 4: So do you remember your first gig ever?
Speaker 14: Ah, that's I don't remember the last year my re member, it's not all that good, but I do remember that in those early days, we were traveling around doing the hotels and doing the doing the talent quizts, so there was quite a few gigs, but our first major, first major gig was the Sydney Stadium on the stage there with Johnny o'keeve.
Speaker 4: So your first single, why it came out in nineteen fifty nine? Was it difficult getting the contract to do that?
Speaker 14: Lee Gordon also had his own record label called le Don and so we recorded for Lee Golden and put down g and Y and it was released and it languished about fifteen on the charts. It wasn't a major hit for us, but enough to get our foot into the recording business. And then we went on to have some hits after that and a few albums.
Speaker 4: Now, the surf music craze in Australia at that time. It was a magic time, wasn't it.
Speaker 20: You know, it was quite being member of the surf club. We were riding our boards and surfing and there was no well what we call it. There was no other movement. The surfing movement hadn't begun. But when the movie Gidget came out, it just changed everything. And that movie just just ordered the whole world seemed to turn up to surf music and we were doing songs like Hanging five and out the Back and it was quite quite a thrilling time.
Speaker 4: Now, in nineteen sixty two, get a little dirt on your hands. I remember that, and I remember Arl Widerberg being killed. That was almost a launch into international fame, wasn't it.
Speaker 20: Yes, that was a terrible, terrible time for us. We we languished for a while thinking that this was the end of our career, but was Yderberg family, and from from our from our family and friends, and generally the business wanted us to carry on. So we recruited Cole Lucklan and Cole came in with us, and then we had come a little bit closer.
Speaker 4: But it must have been a sad time trying to sing and keep going with all.
Speaker 21: That it was.
Speaker 20: It was a terrible time, and and it was our first real pop tragedy, you know it was it was. It took everybody by. It was so upsetting that, as I said, I thought, I thought our career was over because he was such a driving force, and I often think just where we would have gone if he had lived, and because he was the leader of the band and and and the arranger for all the harmonies and so forth. Was a big hole left there. But Cole Lockton did quite well.
Speaker 4: Well, you did come a little bit close. So that was a massive hit, wasn't it.
Speaker 20: Probably the biggest self about that it was. It was written by the famous songwriting team, the American songwriting team Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller, who had myriad of hits, and we were just lucky to have this land on our on our on our table at the at Festival Records and we put that down and it was quite different from the original recording that they put down, but it turned out to be a hit for us and we were very very grateful.
Speaker 4: Now, you and Carla, you've been together all these years, mate. You found her at the play cup Boy Club, did you.
Speaker 14: Yes, we were working at the Playboy Club in London and we had a six week stint there at the club, which was very happy with and that's where I fell in love with Carla was she was such a beauty and we've spent twelve months together in London. Back we came back after appearians on television and doing some shows and troubling through Europe, we came back and I asked her to come and join me here in which thank god she did because she took over the management of the Deltaynes and she managed it for fifty years. So that was a was a great, great, great arrangement. It's terrific to have no manager. The manager in the family and you together.
Speaker 4: You moved to a farm near buck Aheads.
Speaker 20: Yeah, we dropped out. We had at what you would call it but a flash of insight. We thought this is no good this, this, this, this, we should be doing something worthwhile, and so we took ourselves up to a farm up on the mid North Coast and we actually grew crops. We actually grew road crops, Wallermelons, rockbellans, and we sold them beside the road there. It was an exciting period for us, but we didn't fully embrace the hippie ethos we we we just couldn't quite quite group. Plenty of hair plenty there, but that was about it. But we lasted a few years up there. But the call of the smell of the crowd and the roar of the grease painted sort of brought us back in the touring again.
Speaker 4: Because in the eighties you had that big album Bop Till You Dropped, didn't.
Speaker 20: She Yes, that was a big surprise as a matter of fact. It was just a recording of our live performance, all the songs that we did in our live performance, and we coupled that with k Tell that was going very well at the time. You might remember k Tell. It had a lot of different recordings and lots of different products out, but they put out the record and it shot up to number two. It was number two behind Michael Jackson's thriller, and we're pretty thrilled about it because we didn't expect it to go anywhere. It was such a surprise. But it was a full blown revival after that, and we started to do shows like Hey, heyt Saturday, and The Mic World Show and a lot of television. So it put us back on the map again.
Speaker 4: Because you banned it last until twenty sixteen, The del Towns.
Speaker 20: What's its secret, Well, it's doing a real job, Bill, That was That was the thing that frighten us.
Speaker 4: We thought that we.
Speaker 20: Couldn't possibly do a real job. But it was a wonderful fifty years and we did a lot of touring, a lot of touring at that time, but it was we got a bit tired. I got particularly tired of touring. I love the performance, I love doing the show. It was fantastic, but it started to get me down a bit, so we thought we'd call it a day. I haven't thought about whether we'll come back.
Speaker 14: Together or not. There is some pressure to do that, but we'll wait and see see what happens.
Speaker 4: So what's life like for you now, mate in twenty twenty five, Well.
Speaker 20: It's very relaxing, Bill, I can tell you. I'm up here on the on the sunshine case. It's a Queensland and I'm just sort of laid back. I've got about an acre of vegetables and and and lots of lots of stuff to do around the farm, and I'm enjoying that thoroughly. And I've got no inclands at the moment to get back on the road. I'm enjoying life after all. The line you know I'm getting on now made of eighty five's.
Speaker 4: It's it's getting on Australian music legend. Pee weee Wilson. We're kind to have to wrap up with Come a little bit closer and it's been such a lovely thing to talk with you tonight, mate, God bless you, Thank you very much, Thank you bye.
Speaker 10: Come a little bit closer and you will see I was meant for you.
Speaker 9: And you were then me ladro sy.
Speaker 14: O.
Speaker 7: Theford can fade and lie on for rever sometimes runs dry.
Speaker 10: A style of blue can turn to gray.
Speaker 4: One mana for you.
Speaker 9: Is here to stay.
Speaker 3: Come a little b closer and you will see.
Speaker 14: I meant you, dear, and you.
Speaker 3: Were meant for me.
Speaker 9: Lenana grows donger and mes no bar Lena, La last long and.
Speaker 10: The stars in the sky.
Speaker 16: So be my love and I'll be two.
Speaker 9: Darling forever.
Speaker 4: I'm cherish you.
Speaker 10: You'll share my dream, You'll share my mind, and come with me.
Speaker 4: We'll never fall.
Speaker 22: Come a little bit closer and you will see you see I was before you, and you were meant for me.
Speaker 9: Let Alla grow stronger and he is going fine.
Speaker 22: Let a love last long Na, stars in the sky. Come a little bit closer. Come a little bit glow, Wsir.
Speaker 3: Come a little bit closer.
Speaker 9: Come a little bit glow, sir, Come a little bit closer.
Speaker 4: You got any memories of the dell Tounds? See him perform? Heard their music? Ring me one three one eight seven three your name.
Speaker 11: If you gonna craw up to be a man, you gotta kill a little there on your head.
Speaker 10: A little there. You gotta kill a little head, start a little.
Speaker 3: Imagine people.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Sunday Night. Cruise with your ready a reverend Bill Cruise.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to listener, Welcome back, Coming up. I'm joined in the Netherlands by doctor Philip Nitsky about voluntary assisted dying, pushing boundaries and the new role for AI and in the last hour, we'll talk to Nick Brown, the CEO of Streetside Meddix, which is a not for profit delivering a free gp led mobile medical service to people experiencing homelessness. Well. Iran has threatened to use all force needed to defend itself after the United States President Donald Trump ordered American aircraft to bomb three Iranian nuclear sites in what he called a spectacular military success and historic moment for the world.
Speaker 5: A short time ago, the US military carried out massive precision strikes on the three key nuclear facilities. Our objective was the destruction of irans nuclear and richment capacity and a stop to the nuclear threat posed by the world's number one state sponsor of terror denied. I can report to the world that the strikes were a spectacular military success. Iran's key nuclear and Richmond facilities have been completely and totally obliterated around a bully of the Middle East must now make peace. If they do not, future attacks would be far greater and a lot easier.
Speaker 4: Global leaders feared Trump's major intervention in the conflict would further destabilize the Middle East. As the President warned, Iran must make peace or face further attack. The Iranian foreign ministry accused the US of criminal aggression and urged the United Nations to respond. A summit in Geneva yesterday with the Iran's foreign minister and European leaders yielded no signs of a breakthrough. The death toll from Israel's attacks on Iran has risen to more than four hundred, including many women and children. At least twenty four people have been killed in Iranian attacks on Israel. Come on, we do you reckon? This is all going? Is America's participation in the war to be a good or a bad thing? How important is it to strip Iran of its nuclear capabilities? Is it possible that the Iranian regime might collapse? And what would that mean for Putin and Russia if they lose a key strategic partner. Is it possible that the conflict might spread if other countries become involved? How could Australia become involved? As one of America's leading allies. The Australian government has released a statement calling for de escalation of the Middle East and acknowledging the risk post by Iran's nuclear program, in which it did not endorse the United States strikes. The Australian government has released a statement calling for de escalation of the Middle East and acknowledging the risk post by Iran's nuclear program, in which it did not endorse the United States strikes. Do you reckon the government's got it right? Your thoughts on the Israeli Iran conflict and how the US is involved and where you think it's all headed? One three, one eight seven three And earlier this month, a pedestrian in Perth tragically died after being struck by an e scooter. This followed the death of another person in Victoria last month who was sitting and killed by a modified e bike, which police alleged could travel at ninety kilometers per hour. At least two patients per day, that so many people. Just one major emergency hospital in Queensland is treating due to an alarming rise in e scooter accidents. The injuries are so complex, so severe, patients are being assessed just like high speed car crash victims. This is what Dr Michael Kane, had a public policy at the RACQ, had to say about the problem.
Speaker 6: Well, what we've seen in Queensland over the last six years is six three hundred people admitted to Queensland emergency departments and tragically we have seen fifteen people being killed in the last two and a half years alone. And what we're also seeing, which is terrible, is that people who are not dying or are not receiving brain injuries, are receiving major facial injuries. These are life changing injuries for people.
Speaker 4: Now a crackdown could see stand up scooters, band and modified device has seized. Here's what Dr Kaine says needs to be done well.
Speaker 6: The RACQ is asking for the impounding of what are illegal e scooters and e banks. Some of these e scooters go up to one hundred and ten comes an hour. That's not a scooter, that's a vehicle. Mopeds are only allowed to go up to fifty. We also want to see on legal stand up e scooters that you wear a full face helmet and the scheme scooters the highest scooters that we see across a number of Australian cities. We want those scooters to be sit down e scooters because they're much safer. We also want to see money invested in our separated pathways because e scooters and e bikes do have a positives and they do help us address congestions, so we need to invest more in the pathway infrastructure.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, New South Wales is looking to legalize the scooters under a new safety framework. So what are your thoughts on e bikes and e scooters? Do you think the many benefits of e bikes and e scooters outweigh the problems? Have you personally had any problems with them on footpaths? Should there be limits on how fast these vehicles can travel? Would a licensing of users or registration of e bikes and e scooters be a good idea? Does the federal government have a clear role to play in stemming the endpoint of e bikes and e scooters that exceed the legal limits for public use in Australia? Should local women and road authorities have the power to declare areas where footpath riding is not permitted. Even though e bikes and e scooters are many benefits, such as improving urban accessibility and giving people scope to reduce or even eliminate carbon emitting car use, do those examples highlight their associated risks? What about displaying speed limits for e bikes and e scooters using radar guns, as is already done in Queensland and issuing fines where appropriate. Your thoughts on the current debate about e bikes and e scooters and their place in the community. One three, one eight seven three. During the week I went all the way out to Peak Hill to attend the funeral of Anti Roy. Now Auntie Moronda was an incredible Indigenous woman who, with our help and everything, delivered thousands of hampers all over western New South Wales, everywhere from Burke to Broken Hill to Bear and you name it. Our hampers went there through her. A lovely, lovely lady, Indigenous lady, wonderful person right born in a tin hut at the back of Peak Hill Hospital because Indigenous people weren't allowed to give birth in the hospital. Just think of that, Just think of that. Outrageous At a funeral, what other song would they play but Archie Roach's Charcoal Lane.
Speaker 23: Tabasas we walk along to the end of good Tree Street and we'd popole and mustard for a food for wine.
Speaker 10: All then ride rong.
Speaker 14: In the cold and then the heat.
Speaker 4: We'd cross over the Smith Street to the gas over.
Speaker 3: Then we'd love and.
Speaker 10: Say do anything to take away the thing, trying.
Speaker 9: To cep it down as it first went down.
Speaker 21: In chocoal Land, spending y'all telling jokes.
Speaker 23: Now the wine it's tasting goods, ga bolster.
Speaker 10: And poser to its hands.
Speaker 14: Have a set and roll some smokes.
Speaker 4: We'd smoked tailor maids if we put it, but we just made.
Speaker 10: With Some cities were playing.
Speaker 23: Then well chocolate again and we started together.
Speaker 14: When we had enough to do the game.
Speaker 4: By their things out tid.
Speaker 23: Then we had to buy.
Speaker 21: Foo chocoold Lane.
Speaker 4: Our Gutr Street.
Speaker 10: We'd walk once more.
Speaker 14: We'd just a few sand.
Speaker 24: Store and we'd stopped at the belt and to see.
Speaker 23: And we fight her around until the store a flag and all back william Sport.
Speaker 3: Enough you can go away out.
Speaker 4: And we don get jog also driving and maybe your little linsing.
Speaker 9: And we started home all long.
Speaker 4: Stay we do it again. Have a reviver.
Speaker 14: In charcoal Man, I must survivor of charcoal Man.
Speaker 4: Always brings tears to my eyes. That song Heather welcome to show.
Speaker 25: Hi Ah, Bill, thank you for letting me speak.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 25: That song really got to me.
Speaker 14: Bill.
Speaker 25: It certainly did reminds me so much of our childhood's former state.
Speaker 19: Wards.
Speaker 25: Look Bill, I'd like to say a bit more about the one Sheety and clan. Yes, Leonie. Without Leone, we would never have had the Royal Commission. Leone pushed and pushed and pushed. There were others as well, but she was the main person. And people kept saying, you'll never get it, you'll never get it, it won't happen. Well it did happen. And Bill, when Julie Gillard announced that there was going to be a raw Commission, my heart gladdened for all the terrible suffering that children have gone through.
Speaker 26: But then.
Speaker 25: I read the terms of reference, and Bill I cried and cried for days, and I thought about children like little four year old Johnny. He was a state ward given to live with a foster mother who beat him so badly, Bill, he was hospitalized for weeks, and then the government sent him back to her, and in her you could never believe what she did. She put his little face up against the flame on a gas burner. I mean, I cried so many tears for children like Bill.
Speaker 4: Imagine people being that cruel? Can you.
Speaker 14: No no to?
Speaker 25: Children have fakes? My heart? You know, I can't watch it anymore.
Speaker 4: And people say, oh, people say, oh, that didn't happen. But it did.
Speaker 25: Of course it happened. And governments right across Australia, right around the world, they know that these things happen and they've turned a blind eye. But I'll tell you one thing, Clan will never never give up. I think, Bill, there are true stolen generations in this country. We have the Aboriginal stolen generation, and look, I congratulate them for the work that they've done and how sigh they've come. But we also have the White stolen generation, and it's not recognized. And it is the fact built we have two stolen generations, and the White stolen generation is not being recognized now because the aftermath of the Royal Commission was only dealing with sexual abuse and not the physical, the psychological damage, the damage that's passed on through families as it is in the Aboriginal community as well, that is not being recognized at all. And now we find ourselves fighting with governments, state governments, trying to get redressed for these they were children, for these children that suffered terribly. And you know, in Victoria they have a redress supposedly have a Victorian historical redress scheme running now that was opened in December with clan. So far clan has done I think it's around eighty eight applications for people. There's only one it's been paid in all that time.
Speaker 4: Yea, Heather, will you.
Speaker 25: Be speak to us. We don't know why this is happening. What you know and it's only they give allow up to up to twenty thousand dollars for these people that's suffered terribly, Heather, it's so wrong.
Speaker 4: Heather. Will you be at the twenty fifth anniversary?
Speaker 25: I certainly will be.
Speaker 4: Yes, Yes, let's have a chat, Dylan, Let's have it ch. God bless you, God bless you, and thank you so much for your call.
Speaker 1: Australia's favorite Sunday night radio Bill Cruise.
Speaker 15: Ge.
Speaker 4: You never know who's listening. Do you got this message? Obil? I know Auntie Roonda. This news makes me sad. I knew her as I engaged her to do Welcome to Country for Inland Rail job. I came to know her will She was indeed a lovely beautiful woman. I had no idea she was connected to you. She always finished her text to me with a black love heart. So thanks for remembering her and he is to Auntie Rhonda. God bless youronda, God bless you. Let's go to Jack.
Speaker 14: Hello Jack, Hi, Bill? Oh?
Speaker 4: Are you made good? Thank you?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I want to talk about that Iran thing, all right?
Speaker 4: Yes, no, no, the.
Speaker 12: Russians they went into Ukraine. Okay, big deal. You know everybody's screams around. Now these Vadis they go into Iran and the Americans go into Iran. So what does tell us?
Speaker 14: I mean, what kind of.
Speaker 12: Wall models as as leaders? There's an international law. You know you cannot simply invader county.
Speaker 4: But what alternative could they do? Jack?
Speaker 14: What do you mean?
Speaker 16: Bill?
Speaker 4: Well, if Iran's got atomic bombs, what do you do?
Speaker 12: But I haven't got it there. It's like you remember the the Iraq weapons of mass You know that, you remember that. I don't need to talk about that door It would.
Speaker 14: Be esth might.
Speaker 12: So what's going on?
Speaker 14: Man?
Speaker 12: You tell me what's the world become to? You know, it's run by the damons, by the devil.
Speaker 4: Most likely, mate, most likely. God bless and thanks for your call. Peter. Hello, Hello, Peter, Oh hello, hello, Look you got a minute, darling, you got a minute in a bit.
Speaker 24: I'm very anti the executions because I'm legally blind and hearing impaireds, So like, I don't need them coming up in behind me. And also if they're there in like just anywhere I cannot see them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So what what do you reckon? They should have bells on them or something.
Speaker 24: Well, I need something. Yeah, and just more consideration.
Speaker 25: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Have you had have you been kind of scared at what happens? What's happened to you a few times?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 4: What's happened real quick?
Speaker 17: No, just very.
Speaker 24: Very close calls with them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, almost knocked you over. Yeah, gobless and thank you for your call. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Voluntary assisted dying is legal cross Australia, much of Europe, Canada, and several US states, with dramatically varying implementations. Some countries permit advanced directives for dementia cases, and AI is being developed to replace psychiatrists in the assisted dyeing process. While some jurisdictions focus on terminal illness with strict safeguards, others have expanded access to mental illness on the line in the Netherlands. To explain these complex ethical, medical, and legal issues is doctor Philip Nichke, a prominent advocate who offers insights into global approaches and lessons from this evolution in human autonomy at Life's End. Doctor Philip Niske, you've been advocating for euthanasia over three decades. How has the global landscape changed since you first began this work and what has surprised you most about this.
Speaker 21: I have been involved for a long time, as you've mentioned, and I've seen that evolution take place around the world. A country after country is changing the way they view this issue, and I think mistakes are being made and lessons are being learned. But we're watching it. We're watching it evolved today. In fact, the last six months we've just been through over here in Europe have brought up a lot of issues which I think are drawing attention once again to what is the optimum all the best strategy for changes which people are demanding.
Speaker 4: Will come to that later. But Australia now has voluntary assisted dying in all states, but the way it works varies. What key differences have emerged and how do these affect people seeking access.
Speaker 21: Around Australia and the states of Australia, they've all brought in what we would describe as medicalized laws. They set out to try and if you like, codify the degree of suffering which you've got to have and be judged to have before someone a doctor can assess that and then legally provide you with the means to end your life. Some variation then about whether you need to take the drugs yourself, whether they can be delivered by an intravenous injection, of whether they must be taken orally. All of the states around Australia wisely have the requirements. You must have mental capacity and that needs to be assessed in some way, and usually there's a requirement of terminal illness and that brings in all sorts of issues about how do you actually define a terminal illness. So the evolution of these issues and the pushing at the boundaries is going on, and it's certainly taking place here, specifically in Europe, where all of those questions are really being looked at closely.
Speaker 4: I'm Bill Cruise and my guest on this edition of the discussion is doctor Philip Rinsky, comparing global models from Switzerland so called death tourism to the netherlands comprehensive euthanasia laws rapidly expanding program. How do the different approaches shape who can access the sister dying.
Speaker 21: Yes, all, they do very a bit. I mean, the Northern Territory was the world's first, but almost immediately after that law was overturned. In nineteen ninety eight, the state of Oregon and America brought in legislation and they've had it ever since. They brought in laws very similar to the one we had in the Northern Territory, basically what we would describe as medicalized laws, which means you have to be sick and a doctor has to assess that to desemine whether you're sick enough to be eligible. The country I now live in it. The Netherlands brought their laws in in two thousand and one, and you mentioned there, and you mentioned about Switzerland. Switzerland's a unique place. It's got an absolutely different and separate piece of legislation to all the other countries around the world which have brought in laws. The Swiss law came in just after the Second World War and has been in place ever since, and that does not require that a person be sick. It's simply allows lawful help for a person if you who wishes to die, So there's no requirement for medical involvement and no requirement for a degree of sickness, But that's unique. All of the other places have simply varied determining whether or not a person is sick enough and tried to set out the conditions of that. And over the years, what happens in places like the Netherlands and is happening in Canada right now, people start pushing at the edge and saying, well, how sick do you have to be? Am I sick enough? How do you define terminal illness? Questions about whether or not a person has mental capacity, how do we determine that? What if a person is just tired of life? What if a person is just over one hundred is that old enough to be eligible? All of those questions come up, and I think a simplest way of dealing with all of this, I would argue, is that people should look closely at the Swiss model.
Speaker 4: You touched on this. Several US states permit euthanasia, while others ban it totally. What are the implications of this inconsistent approach for both patients and medical professionals.
Speaker 21: Most of the states in America that have brought in laws have introduced them in being accompanied with residential requirements In other words, you've got to live in the place where the law has been passed, although that's been changing in recent times and some of the states of America now allow a person to move in from another state. In America. It's a very arduous process these medical laws. You've got to prove that you're sick enough, and the question is the cause. Are you able to find a doctor who will agree that you are sick enough. I call most of these laws beg and gravel laws, because although we talk about giving people the right to die, the reality is that in Australia and in most places around the world, including the Netherlands, all as the laws do is give you the right to ask for help. It doesn't give you the permission. It doesn't give you that right. The right will always be determined by someone else, and in most cases it's the doctors who you find to try and help you.
Speaker 4: One of the most contentious aspects across all jurisdictions is safeguarding. How do different countries balance protecting vulnerable people while ensuring genuine autonomy.
Speaker 21: Well, I mean protecting vulnerable people. I mean the criteria in everywhere, including Swisserland, is that you've got to have mental capacity. Now, this is this rather nebulous quality which psychiatrists reckon. They can determine about any individual alive, do you know what you're doing? And it seems to me that if you insist on that requirement, and you should, and that's true everywhere around the world, effectively that solves I would say, the idea of the vulnerable people being pressured. If you know what you're doing and can demonstrate that you've got mental capacity, then I would say you should have the right to make that decision. The question, of course comes up, what if you start to lose mental capacity? And this is the argument which is being played out in many places now about what happens when you start to slip into a situation where becoming where a person is developing a disease which makes you lose capacities such as dementia, and that's a big worry. The attempts to try and deal with this are not very successful. The Netherlands, to its credit, has tried and so has Belgium, with so called advanced directives where you can sign a piece of paper which said, look, I know I'm becoming a person who's losing capacity because of my onset of dementia. I'm leaving this written statement which says that if I lose capacity, I want someone to come around here and kill me. And you can do that legally in the Netherlands, and you can do it legally in Belgium, but it's not popular and it doesn't work well, and you can see why. I mean, when you do become completely demented, then you've got to have to expect some other person, mainly another doctor, to come from somewhere find you lying there, not knowing what day it is and which ways up and which ways down because of your dementia, but clutching a piece of paper signed signed ten years ago saying that if I'm like this, kill me. And then you expect a doctor to effectively give a lethal injection to a person who doesn't know what data is. That's a very hard ask for a doctor, and doctors here in the Netherlands aren't comfortable with it, and I wouldn't be comfortable with it either. There are better ways to deal with this, but that argument about what to do in situations with dementia, and the large numbers of people that elderly who are developing losses of mental capacity presents as a real problem.
Speaker 4: So waiting periods range from days to months across different countries. In your experience, how do these timeframes affect patients and families and are there optimal approaches?
Speaker 21: Well, yes, well they do very, They do very. I think when we look at the so called safeguards, A big one though, and the essential one is that a person must have mental capacity. Then I think, as we do in Switzerland, you should simply allow that person to make the decision and forget about issues of time delays, waiting periods, numbers of doctors who have to agree. All of that stuff can be dispensed with if you simply accept the fact that when a person has mental capacity and they're an adult we're not talking about children, then they should be able to say, now is the time to divest myself with this precious gift of life.
Speaker 4: The role of doctors there is dramatically between countries, from active participation to allowing conscientious objection. How do these different approaches change the reality of accessing euthanasia.
Speaker 21: The reality is that with all these medicalized laws everywhere except Switzerland, you have to find a doctor to cooperate, in other words, agree with your decision that now's the time to get help to die, and that can be a real problem if you have to shop around, and it sometimes causes immense delays as people try to find a doctor prepared to agree with you that you're suffering is bad enough to pass the eligibility requirements that have been posed by the particular legislation that's in place. Now it's quite flexible here in the Netherlands. You don't have to be terminally ill, but you've got to demonstrate suffering, and so you've got to find a Dutch doctor who agrees that you have got suffering. And when we brought one hundred and four year old David good Or from Perth across to Switzerland to die, we brought him to Switzerland purely because that was the only place where he did not have to argue that he was medically sick. Because he was insisting, and you may recall this incident. He kept saying, look, I'm one hundred and four, but I'm not sick, and why should I have to argue that I am sick to get help to die. Now that's the situation across Australia now. One hundred and four year old David Goodall would not be able to get help in Australia to die because he would have to argue that he was sick. And many people think that's a complete problem with medicalized laws, and I agree with him, and that's why switzerland situation is far superior to any of the love or legislative places.
Speaker 1: You'll with the radio Reverend Bill Cruise.
Speaker 4: I'm Bill Cruz and my guest is doctor Philip Nisky. Philip, we talked about this. Most euthanasia laws require terminal illness, but some countries are considering broader criteria, including mental illness as a condition. Where do you see eligibility boundaries?
Speaker 21: Heading, Look, the mental illness question has been debated fiercely in Canada right now, and there certainly there's been a debate here. I mean, I think most people are generally of the opinion that you certainly can suffer a lot from mental illness. The question that comes up all the time is that if you've got a mental illness and your suffering, the question is have you, because of the mental illness, perhaps lost capacity. And there are some doctors around, not that many these days, but argue that any mental illness means you lose mental capacity. That's that's clearly false. I mean people have mental illness often are suffering badly and still maintain mental capacity. Other words, do they know what they're doing even though they've got schizophrenia, even though they've got obsessive compulsive disorder, even though they've got bad depression. And the answer to that question is yes, some do. And if you've got mental capacity, I would argue, and I guess this is what's happening. Certainly has happened here in the Netherlands. You can get acceptance and you can't get permission and help to die with mental illness provided you can demonstrate mental capacity.
Speaker 4: Now, some European countries let mature teenagers access euthanasia, but most countries ban this entirely. What trends are you observing in this area.
Speaker 21: Well, there's been long term push pressure on the question of age, because everyone agrees there is a certain age at which you understand the permanence of death. So it's all very well having mental capacity, but you've got to understand that death is a final step. And so the idea that a child who doesn't understand the permanence of death should be getting or being able to make a decision about ending their own life makes no sense, and so I agree with that idea. There needs to be some, if you're like age distinction or barrier which is necessary before you can start making those sort of decisions about divesting yourself of your life. The question about what age that should be is argued about because people point out that you can be certainly a person suffering dreadfully as a child from some horrible disease and not have mental capacity or not have the ability to understand or give permission to die, and so that presents a problem. There's no easy answer to it. What's happened in the Netherlands is that they've dropped the age and dropped the age. It's come right down now, and the general feeling is that people over I think not feeling, but the actual legislation. You've got to be over the age of twelve. So what happens if you're younger than that and have a serious suffering associated with a particular illness, and that's not an easy one to resolve. Generally, the feeling is that parents should be able to make that decision, but that brings other questions into play. So I don't think there's an easy answer to the question of age. I agree that it certainly should be. My feeling is that it should be left probably to the probably to the age which we tend to accept that people make decisions about the future, and that is adulthood. In other words, you've got to be an adult.
Speaker 22: Now.
Speaker 21: That doesn't solve the question of the suffering teenager, but it gets around issue of trying to work out a particular a particular barrier of age at which a person understands about the permanence of the step they're about to take.
Speaker 4: So technology is reshaping how sister dying can be accessed and administered. How might technological advances from telehealth to automated systems change the landscape of voluntary assisted dying.
Speaker 21: The idea of using technology and different strategies to provide these options is important and it brings me to another important issue that we're looking at, and that is the use of Instead of having psychiatrists determine whether a person has the necessary mental capacity, do you see, we're developing an artificial intelligence test whereby people can check whether they've got mental capacity or not. We've been involved in this project for I suppose in early eight years or so now of trying to work out some way we can get better assessment of this, As I said, quality of mental capacity. There are feelings within the medical profession that a person can be determined whether they have capacity or not, and that generally the people argue needs to be done. If you like, the gold standard is to have you go and talk to a psychiatrist who will work out it. Even if you've got schizophrenia or even if you've got depression, do you have mental capacity? Now that is done with your talk to a psychiatrist. Our concern is the fact that I've been often taking people who seeking help to die. They often say, you take the same person to three psychiatrists and get four different answers, because people often find them getting differing answers depending on the particular psychiatrists who does the assessment, because the psychiatrist brings their own baggage to the assessment process and their own, if you like, politics, to the issue. And we've felt that a much more neutral way, and I would say fairer way of making thatcember assessment is by use of some clever software. So the development of the avatar. We've got an avatar. Now the avatar allows you to have a discussion. You talk to the avatar rather than the psychiatrist, and at the end of that period, the avatar will make a decision about whether or not you've got mental capacity or not. Now, that's a big project. We're getting the first tests models ready now and we're going for a while. We're hoping to have psychiatrists are involved in this issue of providing a decision about whether a person should have access to assisted dying, to not only allow the psychiatrists to do the assessment, but also to have the artificial intelligence and the avatar do the interrogation too, and we'll make sure that those two I hopefully get the same answer. And with the long term goal of being able to replace the psychiatrists and remove the vagaries that come from I said, the baggage carried by the various psychiatrists that you find doing such assessments.
Speaker 4: We've touched on the growing discussion about advanced directives for a sister dying. Which countries are leading this conversation and what are the key challenges.
Speaker 21: The countries that have led the world are the Netherlands, where I'm now based, and Belgium, and they have it in place. You can do it. You can sign you a bit of paper now and it's got legal validity.
Speaker 20: Now.
Speaker 21: As I said, it doesn't work terribly well, but it works to some degree, and it does provide a lot of comfort for people who have found that they have got, if you like, declining cognitive function, and they're shown to be people who may well be developing dementia disease. It does give them some comfort from filling out one of these forms. But I do feel that ultimately the better solution is going to be a technological one rather than an advanced director because trying to find doctors who are going around and as I said, being prepared to kill people who don't know what day it is is going to be a hard ask. It puts an awful it puts an awful load on the doctor. I talk to a lot of Dutch doctors who are involved in this, and none of them think it's particularly satisfactory.
Speaker 4: And finally, Philip, if you could design the ideal voluntary assisted dying framework using the best of all countries, what would it look like.
Speaker 21: Swinzerland has got by far the best model, and that's a demedicalized model. I think we should stop trying to set out the conditions of suffering, because all of that will do is produce arguments and battles within the legal system. Set out a system which demedicalizes the process and allow the individual to make decisions because many people have incredibly compelling reasons for wanting to die which are not medical.
Speaker 4: Philip let's keek. Thank you for your insights. Thanks Bill, love to get your comments on that on one three to one eight seven three. Would you want to talk to an avatar deciding the future of your life or would you rather talk to a fallible psychiatrist?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: They are really serious questions, aren't they? And to Tilla the trith only fell out of my chair when he started talking about that. So I'd love to get your comments on that. One three to one eight seven three Would you like to talk to an avatar about whether you could end your life or not? One three one eight seven three. Coming up out of the news, we talked to Nick Brown. He's the CEO of Street Side Medics, and that's a not for profit delivering a free gp led mobile medical service to people experiencing homelessness.
Speaker 14: M tip by side.
Speaker 23: We welcome along to the ends of shoes streets and with Papa and muster for a cold for wise, then right along in the cold, and then the.
Speaker 4: We'd cross all the semester to the ends.
Speaker 3: Imagine how people dripping liven.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Sunday night. Cruise with you already a reverend Bill cruise.
Speaker 4: Welcome to you, listener, Welcome back. Like it's cold out there, isn't it. Well, every line into this building comes to this microphone now, so I'd love to talk to you. I'd love to talk to you if you haven't rung me before. It's getting late in the bewitching hour, getting late, you'd like to talk to someone before you go to sleep, Give me a ring, you know the number one three one eight seven three coming up. We'll be talking to Nick Brown, the CEO of street Side Medix, which is a not for profit delivering a free gp led mobile medical service to people experiencing homelessness. Well. Iran has threatened to use all force needed to defend itself after the United States President Donald Trump ordered American aircraft to bomb three Iranian nucleus sites in what he called a spectacular military success and historic moment for the world.
Speaker 5: A short time ago, the US military carried out massive precision strikes on the three key nuclear facilities. Our objective was the destruction of Iran's nuclear enrichment capacity and a stop to the nuclear threat posed by the world's number one state sponsor of terror. Tonight, I can report to the world that the strikes were a spectacular military success. Iran's key nuclear and Richmond facilities have been completely and totally obliterated. Around the bully of the Middle East must now make peace. If they do not, future attacks would be far.
Speaker 4: Greater and a lot easier. Global leaders feared Trump's major intervention in the conflict would further destabilize the Middle East. As the President warned Iran peace or face further attack. The Iranian foreign ministry accused the US of criminal aggression and urged the United Nations to respond. A summit in Geneva yesterday with the Iran's foreign minister and European leaders yielded no signs of a breakthrough. The death tolld from Israel's attacks on Iran has risen to more than four hundred, including many women and children. At least twenty four people have been killed in Iranian attacks on Israel. Come on we do you reckon? This is all going? Is America's participation in the war to be a good or a bad thing? How important is it to strip Iran of its nuclear capabilities? Is it possible that the Iranian regime might collapse? And what would that mean for Putin and Russia if they lose the key strategic partner. Is it possible that the conflict might spread if other countries become involved? How could Australia become involved as one of America's leading allies. The Australian government has released a statement calling for de escalation of the Middle East and acknowledging the risk post by Iran's nuclear program, in which it did not endorse the United States strikes. The Australian government has released a statement calling for de escalation of the Middle East and acknowledging the risk post by Iran's nuclear program, in which it did not endorse the United States strikes. Do you reckon the government's got it right? Your thoughts on the Israeli Iran conflict and how the US is involved and where you think it's all headed? One three, one eight seven three And earlier this month, a pedestrian in Perth tragically died after being struck by an e scooter. This followed the death of another person in Victoria last month who were sit and killed by a modified e bike, which police alleged could travel at ninety kilometers per hour. At least two patients per day, that so many people. Just one major emergency hospital in Queensland is treating due to an alarming rise in each scooter accidents. The injuries are so complex, so severe, patients are being assessed just like high speed car crash victims. This is what Dr Michael Kane, had a public policy at the RACQ, had to say about the problem.
Speaker 6: Well, what we've seen in Queensland over the last six years is six three hundred people admitted to Queensland emergency departments and tragically we have seen fifteen people being killed in the last two and a half years alone. And what we're also seeing, which is terrible, is that people who are not dying or are not receiving brain injuries, are receiving major facial injuries. These are life changing injuries for people.
Speaker 4: Now a crackdown could see stand up scooters, band and modified device has seized. Here's what doctor Kaine says needs to be done.
Speaker 6: Well, the RACQ is asking for the impounding of what are legal e scooters and e bikes. Some of these e scooters go up to one hundred and ten kimeters an hour. That's not a scooter, that's a vehicle. Mopeds are only allowed to go up to fifty. We also want to see on legal stand up e scooters that you wear a full face helmet and the scheme scooters the highest scooters that we see across a number of Australian cities. We want those scooters to be sit down e scooters because they're much safer. We also want to see money invested in our separated pathways because e scooters and e bikes do have a positive and they do help us address congestions, so we need to invest more in the pathway infrastructure.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, New South Wales is looking to legalize e scooters under a new safety framework. So what are your thoughts on e bikes and e scooters. Do you think the many benefits of e bikes and e scooters outweigh the problems? Have you personally had any problems with them on footpaths? Should there be limits on how fast these vehicles can travel? Would a licensing of users or registration of e bikes and e scooters be a good idea. Does the federal government have a clear role to play in stemming the endpoint of e bikes and e scooters that exceed the legal limits for public use in Australia? Should local government and road authorities have the power to declare areas where footpath riding is not permitted. Even though e bikes and e scooters have many benefits such as improving urban accessibility and giving people scope to reduce or even eliminate carbon emitting car use, do those examples highlight their associated risks? What about displaying speed limits for e bikes and e scooters using radar guns, as is already done in Queensland, and issuing fines where appropriate. Your thoughts on the current debate about e bikes and e scooters and their place in the community. One three one eight seven three. American singer Cindi Lauper was born in Brooklyn, New York on this day in nineteen fifty three, so she's seventy two. In nineteen eighty four, she won a Grammy as Best New Artist and hit the charts with Girls Just Want to Have Fun. She also had hit success with true colors and time after.
Speaker 27: Time died in the beddy the clockted thing of you called them so confustionness nothing new us.
Speaker 3: Almost super cats many time.
Speaker 27: Sometimes you picture me a balking.
Speaker 3: Too far ahead in your code to me.
Speaker 4: I can't you what you've said?
Speaker 3: Then you said goes through.
Speaker 13: All the.
Speaker 3: Second dune wine is your can you.
Speaker 19: Will fine.
Speaker 9: Time out the time. If you fall umer catch up.
Speaker 14: Me you wait.
Speaker 3: Time out the time.
Speaker 9: If you're lost, you can up and you will.
Speaker 3: Find it time out the time. If you fall um all catch you will where we waiting time out the time.
Speaker 27: Have m to fit job sustom to crack, watch window.
Speaker 3: See your wandering in fat lovecat see stone deep fens jump things helped up time.
Speaker 9: If you're lost you can up. Can your well fire it.
Speaker 3: Time after time? If your ball I will catch you love me your acts time after time.
Speaker 28: You say, goes.
Speaker 29: Phow me.
Speaker 3: The second hand dumpline. If you're lost your candlock, can your well fire it.
Speaker 9: Time after time?
Speaker 3: If your ball I will catch you love me your act time.
Speaker 9: So if you're lu you're well fine.
Speaker 3: Save. If you're all okay, you we sum uve time time.
Speaker 4: Time good song that good song. Sarah, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 19: Yes, thank you, Hello, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 14: Hell.
Speaker 18: I've been listening tonight and your conversation with the doctor from Sweden that as a dying Yes, yes, it really did sound like a bit of an advertisement for Sister Dying.
Speaker 4: Do you think I just tried to make it straight down the line?
Speaker 18: I think it was pre recorded, yes, yes, and it really did sound.
Speaker 4: Do you have problems with that?
Speaker 18: Well, I don't know. To be honest, I'm in a situation here where I don't know what's right and wrong. And I listened to you every Sunday and I found that to be really interesting. It's hard to put it into words. It was just a tone of the segment.
Speaker 4: It makes you think, doesn't it?
Speaker 18: Well, it does.
Speaker 19: What scared me what you're talking about?
Speaker 30: Yes?
Speaker 4: Sorry, What scared me was the having an avatar to decide.
Speaker 18: You know, absolutely, Yeah, that's incredibly You know, technology coming into this is another thing. And do we allow technology to decide upon death or do we see every life as being sacred?
Speaker 4: I think yeah, I think every life is sacred. Well, i'd say every life is sacred. The problem is now with all the pills and things we've got, we can extend it beyond its kind of time, if.
Speaker 14: You get what I mean, And I don't get what you mean.
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean we can. There are so many drugs and so many things we can do to extend our lives beyond our body life, if.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 18: But we're looking at a whole spectrum of ages here and deeply concerning.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's it is, it's That's why I brought it up, to get people to think about these things.
Speaker 18: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well it's not just people. It's not just people who have outlived their life, if you know what I mean. They're talking about other sorts of things, and you think, where do you draw the line? Where do you draw the line?
Speaker 18: We're meant to protect the vulnerable, yes, and we are, you know, just just as abortion, you know, killing babies. We can't do these sorts of things. Life needs to take its natural cost. There's absolutely no holy way that anyone could be killed because of any simple reason of decisions. We need to live this to God.
Speaker 4: But what about people who don't believe in God or something like that.
Speaker 18: Look, I'm really surprised you had that conversation that you have tone with that didn't seem natural, and that didn't seem normal.
Speaker 4: Right, right, So what alternative would you propose?
Speaker 18: Nature? The way that the world works. God, you know, when we start to derive from what's natural, where are we going to go?
Speaker 4: What about people who are right now?
Speaker 18: Where are we going to go if we don't allow basic, basic faith and basic morals to rule our decisions. And I don't think that the sister dying has any value or any relation to basic human morals. And I'm really surprised to have that conversation.
Speaker 4: Well, put it the other way. People who've looked after dying relatives where the relatives beg to die, would be arguing with you the other way.
Speaker 18: No, I have and mistakes can be made, Yes they can, Yes they can. I don't think this is a good idea. I'm surprised that you've been speaking about it, and I'm sure many of your listeners are as well.
Speaker 4: Well. I haven't heard any of that. No, God to God, thank you for.
Speaker 1: Your pul Bill grus on Sunday Night.
Speaker 29: Melinda, Hello, Yes, good and more Reveen Bill, Hello, I thought that was a very interesting interview you had with some doctor Mitchki and I'm really glad you had it, and I thought it was very well balanced.
Speaker 28: And you know, both of you spoke about this, you know, the two sides of of yes and no regarding you know, voluntary assisted dying. So yeah, I mean I can sort of see where that previous caller was coming from. Andy. But I have a problem with some people thinking that they know better than me whether I'm suffering or not. How could anybody, how can anybody tell me whether I'm.
Speaker 17: Suffering or not?
Speaker 4: Exactly? Yes, But what do you think about talking to an avatar about it?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 28: I think I think that'd be good because I think it would be it would be more objective. I think if you talk to a human, they've got all their baggage there, and you know their thoughts and their beliefs, and they shouldn't really, you know, impose those on others around them that need help. And I think, and you know, I was like an AI and there was a computer program and said, look, if if you can tick all these boxes, then chances are the poor so and so in front of you is really suffering and deserves assistance and not other people to preach at them about. You know, God said this or or whatever you or if you're not religious, and it.
Speaker 4: Doesn't mean anything if you're not religious.
Speaker 28: It doesn't. It's it's unfair you've been deprived of, you know, getting assistance when you really really might need it the most. I've had a relative recently passed away and she had dementia.
Speaker 25: And it was very sad.
Speaker 28: I just saw her suffering for years and years and not being able to help somebody like that. You know, all you can do is you can hold hold their hand and tell them you love them, but you can tell that doesn't really help, like you know, it does totally in some cases. It really depends on the situation. But you know, she just didn't understand what was going on around her, and she was just confused and she was just alone in her thoughts because nobody could understand her, you know what, what was happening. And dementia's's terrrible things.
Speaker 4: There's no quality of life or anything.
Speaker 14: Is there?
Speaker 28: No, not at all, And everybody around them is trying to do their best, and you know, you can't really do much to bring back somebody's capacity to think or to remember things. And yeah, it's horrible.
Speaker 4: God blesshim, Linda, Thank you for your call. Peter, Hello.
Speaker 14: Today, Bill, how are you good? Pete?
Speaker 19: My lovely lady passed nearly two years ago. He had thank her out of cancer. Oh yes, got to the point where nothing could be done and she was in absolute agony. Yes, and they, the nursing staff and the doctors did all they could and the only thing they could was no old train with morpheed and that was automatic. And people don't realize her sister dying is already here and has been for years. No one wants to happen, but you can't have your loved one.
Speaker 4: So yes, yes, how do you mean a sister dying is here?
Speaker 19: Well, she had tinkling injections, yes, and initially that was done so on on so many hours. But the only way it could be done completely is an automatic back to her body and with intravenous and she didn't feel anythin. We didn't want that to happen, but you couldn't have to, Supper.
Speaker 4: I can hear. It's still really raw, isn't it.
Speaker 14: It's so raw vial?
Speaker 19: Yeah, we got we got six seven months. Many people with paying created cancer get three or four days from notification to parsing, and that's not just with pankcreatic. That's with many, many, many things pancreatic. You know, there's seventy people of a week, maybe more now, but it was seventy people a week when my wife passed. So that's the only way that the doctors and the nursing staff could treat the lady. Just pop her agony. So it is here and no one.
Speaker 4: Wants to do you find her around? Do you often find her spirit around you?
Speaker 19: She's with me all the time. It's hard to say that, but little things, little things that come, yes, but myself and my three children were with us all the time. But it doesn't make it any easier.
Speaker 4: But you know that.
Speaker 19: And that's the thing with anything.
Speaker 4: You don't want to see your suffering anymore. God bless you, Peter, and thanks for talking to us tonight. Terence, Hello, am, I will hello good.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I know all of that that older people am heart attacks and I know over there again on the y. Yeah that's to say. And we used agine good doctors around their dugs.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 16: Purely good when you have doctors around doctors who yeah, taken in and so have to go to hospital right them in the hospital.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's certainly.
Speaker 16: I've got none other than in hospital yet.
Speaker 26: How old are you, righty over eighty over ninety one in September one in September.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you're not in the hospital yet.
Speaker 16: No, No, I gave the treatment that Newtown. Yeah, Newtown. They good to you once every year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they're good to you.
Speaker 16: Oh yeah, said nothing change. It's not getting any worse.
Speaker 4: I said, right, it's so life pretty good for you at the moment.
Speaker 14: Oh, it's good for.
Speaker 16: Me because I did a lot of work of cain to kids in that Yeah. Yeah, I had a lot of money for them.
Speaker 4: Good on you.
Speaker 16: That's the sort of stuff I do. And I used to go to this school when younger. We used to get like I thought that had in the heart attacks. Yeah, yep, and they had got and good doctors A found them, dage. You wish had their own doctors there many years ago.
Speaker 4: Good on your Terrence, thanks for ringing in tonight. God bless you mate, Thank you. In the context of a wealthy, industrialized society, homelessness is a visible indicator of poverty, community disadvantage, and social exclusion. Now Street Side Medic is a not for profit delivering a free GP lead mobile medical service to people experiencing homelessness, and on the line to tell us more about it is Nick Brown, CEO of street Side Medics. Hi Nick, Hi, Bill hiving me on, tell us a bit about yourself. Come on, You've had a bit of experience in this sect, damn't you?
Speaker 30: Yeah, yeah, I guess I've been very lucky to spend over a decade or so working not for profit space so leading organizations and working with organizations that focus on the mental health of dump work and supporting asylum seekers and use at risk, and now being with streets Ide Meets for milli eighteen months. It's so amazing organization.
Speaker 4: Tell us what street Side Medics all about.
Speaker 30: So, streets i Meets is a GP led mobile medical service brings healthcare essentially directly to people experiencing homelessness out on the streets. It's free of charge, and we work out of lunteers work out of sort of specifically fitted out vans that are set up, you know, pretty much like a GP clinic. And you know, obviously they're removing a whole lot of barriers that that a lot of people face when it comes to accessing primary healthcare.
Speaker 4: Now, doctor Daniel knows said it all up. Tell us a bit about him.
Speaker 30: Yeah, then, doctor Daniel noy' is a credible young doctor that saw, I guess, a gap in healthcare for people that are that are doing it tough or that maybe you know, living on the streets or in other otherwise vulnerable sort of situations. And so he fitted out a van and drove it down to the city in Sydney and just started supporting people, you know, where they were and where they needed it. And so he started and that was kind of, you know, the start of Streets of Metics. It was back in twenty twenty and he did it while he was you know, the or junior doctor. He's still very involved. But now I've got a team of people, you know, nearly three hundred volunteers, got three vans on the road or all out there trying to support as many people as we can.
Speaker 4: Now every night in Australia. It just really rocks me and gets me angry. An estimated thirty eight thousand people aged between twelve and twenty four are homeless. That's appalling, isn't it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 30: I know you're doing some great work in this area too. Bilbert it's devastating. I mean, you know, we young people should be thinking about their futures and not worrying about whether they'll sleep or how they stay safe. And you know, there's a lot of great organizations to trying to do important work in this in this space, but you know, it's really all strange can can do their part in and trying to sort of shift what we're seeing at the moment.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of use, isn't the homeless youth?
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 30: I mean, it affects affects everyone, but unfortunately it's you know, it's it's increasing across the board, but young people are definitely hit hard with costs of living and mental thoughts of shortages, gaps in social spoard, et cetera. So there's like, you know, there's a lot of a lot of challenges that are facing young people at the moment.
Speaker 4: And what about young people leaving state care? Does more need to be done there?
Speaker 14: Well?
Speaker 30: I think so, I mean there's more needs to be done everywhere. I guess, you know, there's a lot of people leaving state care at eighteen and still don't have you know, stable housing or job jobs on the horizon or not enough support, and so you know, I think we do need better transition programs. But you know, there is programs out there, and there is a lot of people doing good work, but there's always more that needs to be done.
Speaker 14: For sure.
Speaker 4: Do you see us following what's happening in cities like San Francisco and LA where homelessness has spiled into a huge emergency. Are we following that pattern?
Speaker 22: Well?
Speaker 30: I think I think we have a huge opportunity to not end up in that position, I think, but I think it's possible, and so we definitely need to do a whole lot more. You know, rising there is rising homelessness here. But I think if we can invest in kind of sous early and make sure that we're giving you know, the wrap around support for people, not just you know, putting band aids on things, but also trying to really look at the systemic issues that people are facing, I think we we cannot end up in that position, and you know, I'm hopeful that we don't, and.
Speaker 4: I think sometimes people forget that homelessness is also a health crisis.
Speaker 30: Well, yeah, definitely, I mean what we see I'm not sure that all listeners can imagine as well. If you're you're dealing with the chronic health issue, it's very difficult to be you know, focusing on on other things even job prospects, education, or you know, all of those other those other things that come off the back of being able to live healthy. And so it's definitely they're all very into interlinked. You know, we see untreated in infections and chronic disease, diseases, mental health conditions, et cetera. So you know, it's definitely a huge issue and something that needs to be addressed so that people can focus on those other things that can get them out of the situation that they might be in.
Speaker 4: So unusual things that your doctors see that people listening to this program wouldn't think about, what sorts of things like that DC.
Speaker 30: Yeah, I mean some of the obvious ones might be around some of the cronic televisions like diabetes or hearts, these and things, but I guess some of the things that people may not think about it. There's definitely a significant amount of infections. We see a lot of issues with feet that lead to larger problems, particularly if they if they do get infections and things, and so you know, being able to treat those things early can obviously make a big difference down the road for people not getting into a situation where those infections get much worse.
Speaker 4: Can you guys speed up people having teeth problems.
Speaker 13: So down?
Speaker 4: Do you mean people dentistry? Yeah, getting them into you're able to speed them.
Speaker 30: Up right, connect them in.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 30: I mean a huge part of what we're what we're trying to do is really referring people back into the health system. Mental care the challenging one, but we certainly do do what we can in that. But there's a whole lot of health issues where we have great partners that are trying to provide their services either pro bono or come to the clinics. We've had the dietis come to our clinics and provide support. We've got done heart screenings, et cetera. And so you know, we are able to be I guess a bit of a link between people that are dealing with some of these health issues and with a whole lot of specialist health care that you may not be able to provide it right there in the band.
Speaker 4: So just how important is it to catch people early, mate?
Speaker 30: Well, it's critical. I think you know, we don't want people ending up turning up to emergency departments with you know, theory of health issues. We want to be catching people and connecting them back in with the health system so that other service services can work with them on other issues like jobs and education and all those things. So we play us more part in trying to support as many people as we can, but getting in early and stopping some of these health issues to developing into really problematical complex issues. Is you know, it's critical for anyone in the general public, but definitely if you're living on the street.
Speaker 4: So street side medis like us have called for a homelessness commissioner. So what do you guys have in mind for someone like that, Well, we just need.
Speaker 30: To see I mean, obviously homelessness is interconnected with all sorts of other social determinants and so which means it's you know, cross portfolio. It's not just a health issue. We need, you know, some more independent person or commission to look into the way that all of the departments of government should be looking at this issue and trying to provide some sort of support and so commissioner or something similar we think could be a great way for the government to have a more helistic view on this issue of homelessness.
Speaker 4: And you're launching a second group, aren't you around now away?
Speaker 30: Yeah, well, we just launched our second clinic in sink Kilda and we're going to which has been going for a couple of weeks now. It's our second one sorry in Victoria. We've been operating kind of nine or so in Sydney, one in Wollongong, and yeah, we're about to also launch down in now so the first kind of more regional clinic, which you know, this isn't just an issue that people are facing the metropolitan areas, definitely an issue in regional as well, and so we're trying to do what we can to support those areas as well.
Speaker 4: Now, you mentioned you had about three hundred volunteers tell us about them.
Speaker 30: Yeah, so, I mean the whole service really is off the back of three hundred amazing generous people that are out at these clinics week in week out. We're we are out on the road six nights a week and we've got fifty or so GP that come you know, straight from work to the van to support to support the people who that are on the streets. We've got nurses, other allied health professionals. We've also got general volunteers that are driving the vans et cetera, you know, out and about every night. So you know, incredible group of people that just want to do what they can to help.
Speaker 4: Now that's all managing homelessness, which is kind of what we do all the time. How do we start ending it?
Speaker 30: Well, I think, like I said, I think it's got to come back to a more holistic view sort of just not looking at homelessness as homelessness.
Speaker 14: But we need to solve some of.
Speaker 30: The housing issues. We need to solve some of the opportunities for people to develop through employment and education. I want to support people, you know, coming out of the prison system. So I think it really needs a more systemic kind of view from not just government, from everyone. We need to kind of change the way that we look at people. And you know, this situation a cap for any of us, and so I think we just need to get around people that need that need this support. We also need to understand that, you know, it can happen to everyone, and also look at it kind of beyond just an issue of homelessness or drug and alcohol use. There's a whole lot of factors financial security that we really need to solve to really see see the change we want to see.
Speaker 4: So mate, how can people find out more about you guys?
Speaker 30: Well, I guess the best spot and you see would be our website, so streetside Medics dot com dot au. People can donate there, but they can also sign up to volunteer. We're always looking for medical volunteers, particularly GPS, So if anyone wants to get involved in that way, head to the website you'll see, click through the links and send this information. We'll have someone from the team to get in touch, and you know you can learn all about what we're doing there or obviously through social media as well.
Speaker 4: Nick Brown, CEO street Side Medics. God bless you got and thanks for taking us the time to talk to us today.
Speaker 30: Thanks so much, Bill, God bless you man.
Speaker 4: I used to walk yeah with those blues of read.
Speaker 10: I am not fraid this rover frost over.
Speaker 3: If I ever.
Speaker 31: I'll be rejazed wrong, fe go let my feet go son street.
Speaker 4: Well as me old grandma used to say, Billy, it's time to sling it up and get out of here. I really want to thank you for listening. Tonight. Hope you enjoy me again next Sunday, and until then, God bless him. Good Night,