Speaker 1: Nine podcasts, nine podcasts.
Speaker 2: Effect but.
Speaker 3: Bline good a Russell Hallcroft here and I am Freddie Young and we are back with another episode of Admission where we unpack the biggest stories happening in the worlds of marketing media and more many things to get through.
Speaker 4: Today.
Speaker 2: We have the new content format taking the world by storm. Open AI is getting into hardware, and we're also going to discuss maybe the most important campaign happening in the world right now, Russ.
Speaker 4: But first off, Russ, how are you?
Speaker 1: Thank you for asking? Freddy. I'm great, I'm great. We're well. This is has discussed earlier. This is the busiest time of the year for me because I'm We do our admission, we do the breakfast radio. But then of course I'll get on a plane, I'll go and do a Telly. And the good news is that Teley Show grewing. You know, it's year eighteen if you can believe that, and it is going really well from a ratings point of view. So the seven day number is the one that we all look at now. So the overnight stuff is you know, some somewhat of an old fashioned way to look at TV. You know, so ie watching it live you know, eight o'clock on the on ABC on a Wednesday night. That that is one method to watch it, of course, but the other method is via iView. And what tends to happen is it's about fifty to fifty so you know, five hundred to six hundred thousand people watching it live eight o'clock on Wednesday, and then the rest five hundred and six hundred thousand catch up over the over the course of the next seven days. So you know, that's that's a pretty good number. That's a really good number. Yeah, and that show just you know, while I'm on a bit of a growing advertisement, you know, three of the top five shows ever on the ABC are ruins grew in shows.
Speaker 2: So you've really that you've got the grew and transfer for what is a growing world?
Speaker 4: What are the top three? What are the variants?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, well, grew and transfer. In fact, it's actually quite interesting, you know, Will and I have been talking about it a bit this year off air, like why did we who decided that it should just be called grew and they're not growing transfer? The Gruen transfer was always a great name because, of course it refers to an architect in I think in the nineteen thirties in the US that worked out how to turn browsers into buyers via the floor plan of shopping centers, and then that became known as the Growen transfer, transferring a browser to a buyer. And obviously that translates extremely well to the world of advertising, turning people that. You know, obviously, what we do in advertising is we try and find as many browsers as possible, and really good advertising turns the browser into a buyer. So I always thought the name was brilliant and then for some reason the trans verb it's been taken off because someone didn't ask me.
Speaker 4: It's funny. We've talked to her recently.
Speaker 2: I think we're talking about Airbnb and about, you know, the different opinions for what the verb to Airbnb is and how that sort of you know, lays the plan or the or the blueprint for how it expands into different verticals.
Speaker 4: When you when you think.
Speaker 2: About the word gruin now in Australia, is it fair to say that its meaning is probably you know, there's obviously it still means what it means, but to the vast majority of the Australian viewing public, they probably don't know about that Austrian social sideist. So the fact that you've been able to go into these different verticals, what do you think Gruin as a brand stands for at the moment?
Speaker 1: That's really I think I think at its best growing well grew and stands for sort of let's call it entertainment. But I think Gruin works at its best when the Gruin personified by Will is cynical, is questioning, questioning the role that you know, the world that you and I were in free, questioning our role in life. That's when it works at its best. Now, whether the public would have, you know, make that analysis, I'm not so sure. However, the public laugh along with the nonsense that is advertising by watching that show, don't they So they can probably get to that point. Or do they just say I enjoy it because it's funny. Yeah, and in the air, I've got to tell you this year it has gone up another level when with regard to the humor, they're just they're just doing a tremendous job. You know, there's a writing There is a writing room. There always has been, but there's a writing room. The editing is exceptional, and yeah, the product that's been produced is really really good when you think it's eighteen years. Eighteen years you reckon the people who get tired. Well, actually quite the opposite.
Speaker 2: No, you've I dare say, you figured it out and now you're able to sort of week to week take bigger and bigger swings, or to act with more confidence, which just makes for a better product every year, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: I love it, you know, And it's reminded me of an idea which maybe you could take into your agency in New York. The notion of a writer's room, a writing room, so that obviously it happens in TV and film, where you know you'll fill the room with as much talent as I suppose the room would fill, or as much as you dare. There will be writing rooms, comedic writing rooms in New York. They'd be happening right now. But the notion of a writing room in the world of advertising, I've never heard of it before, and we might be revolutionizing advertising right here, Freddie.
Speaker 4: It could be.
Speaker 2: And I tell you what I love about the writing room as well, is that it's a physical space. There's something in large. There's a lot of politics that goes on sort of in rooms, and you're always sort of worried about your image. And for a business, I think it works for any business really to create a room that's dedicated to sort of failing together, a very safe space where everyone's just allowed to say, hey, like, what do you think is that shit?
Speaker 4: Is this okay? Or something?
Speaker 2: And just to really vomit the ideas with each other. I think every house, every home should have, even if it's just a cupboard, a small space where you're allowed to suck together.
Speaker 1: I love the idea of this, of a writing room for ads. I mean it's quite interesting, you know, in a pitch situation. Certainly when I was pitching, you'd have a team or a couple of teams, and they'd go off and they'd be in their own room together, just you know, the art director and the writer in the traditional sense I don't think i've actually ever experienced. Let's put six really smart people in the one room at the one time and get them to crack it. What an obvious idea, What an obvious notion?
Speaker 4: They'll tell you.
Speaker 2: What it's making me think of is a place that I don't know what they are even, but I know that one day I really want to work at a think tank. I like the idea of going to work in a think tank.
Speaker 1: I could not agree with you more freddy social social ideas, experimentation around, you know, new regimes, new taxes, even freddy, even a new tax could be interesting if you're doing it in a think tank.
Speaker 4: Exactly, I'd love it.
Speaker 2: It's just to be surrounded by no intelligent people that's giving it their best and being a little self conscious maybe or maybe the opposite of it.
Speaker 1: Speaking of a thing, Well, yeah, I'm speaking of think tank. So I was just some reading over the weekend with regard to AI and what AI is going to do to in particular the white let's call it white collar, the white collar world, you know. In the prediction that I read was that twenty percent of white collar jobs will be gone within five years, which of course reminds us of that that that Kodak case study, when you know, consultants came into Kodak and said, well, look, this digital camera thing, it is a bit of an issue for you, and so here's what we think is going to happen to your business over the course of the next four years, Like your business won't exist in four years time. And then of course Kodak got to the point where their business didn't exist. I think I'm right and saying it wasn't four years, it was four months. So yeah, yeah. So the idea, the idea that all the prediction twenty percent of white collar workers will lose their jobs because of AI. I'm not surprised by that number. Are you surprised by that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Not really, I am skeptical at times.
Speaker 2: I know there's there are certainly hiring freezers at the moment, and it does seem to look like the numbers do show that at the you know, let's call it the bottom rung, the entry level positions, they are starting to feel the gates of entry getting thinner and thinner. So I wonder if it's going to be one day we walk into the office and they say, hey, you're all gone, or if it's going to be slowly over time and you know, we just the number of people coming into the office gets slower and slower, and you know, one day we wake up and go, hey, where did everyone go?
Speaker 1: Well, maybe I think the other prediction in this particular article finn Review Week in finn was fifty percent of graduate jobs won't exist. And I can actually see that as well, because if you know, if you know that AI is going to change your workplace, what you will do, I think is just you know, I'm not going to employ ten graduates all employ five, because that's not such a tough decision to make as as the workplace, you know, reshapes itself. And of course the other prediction was, so guess who will be at the top of the list for headcount loss as a result of AI Those that are working from home? So you can just so see that, can't You aren't if you're part of a large corporation. Let's say you're part of a telco, just you know, just to pick an industry. You're part of a telco, You've spent the last five years working from home. You've lost your relationship really with the corporation and with your colleagues. AI is proving that, you know, we can afford to have some job losses. Who's going to lose their jobs?
Speaker 2: You know, the people that are already essentially at this point a screens. You know, if I'm going to interact with the screen, you know, why don't we get a very cheap screen? I can see, I can see the logic there. What my conspiracy theory with it as well. A lot of the time twofold is that you know, the capability isn't just quite there yet. I think sometimes AI I have the sneaking suspicion that it might just for a lot of organizations at least be a bit of a smoke screen for offshoring of jobs. And a lot of the time I've seen it in the news whenever people start saying things like we're going AI first now, it seems to me like a means by which founders, especially owner operators, are trying to sort of regain control of their organization. They want to be less people, less discussions. They really seduced by the idea that no longer is it sort of going to be a committee or anything. It's just going to be fewer people and smaller teams being able to move much faster and more importantly in the direction that the founder would.
Speaker 4: Like them to go.
Speaker 1: Right, I understand, and I think what would happen well, I think is going to happen in our world in the advertising production world, advertising and media and the digitize, the ever more digitization of the creative work and the media. Gee, a lot of it's going to be made by machines, isn't it Yep, Yes, a lot of it is going to be made by machines, that does. I do think that dars open up an opportunity for the stuff that isn't made by machines. Nonetheless, there will be a huge volume of in the main unwatchable.
Speaker 4: Yes, pretty much.
Speaker 2: Interesting it is it is, and I think the one thing I can't remember what the name. It's some sort of paradox though, where things are going to get cheaper to make, and so as the cost of production comes down, it holds that we're actually going to see a lot more stuff, which would indicate that rather than just outright losing jobs. There'll be some rounds upfront, of course, but over time it would tend to suggest we're going to see a lot more jobs making. Yes, in a lot of instances, more and worse stuff. But that's one thing that sort of keeps me, I guess a little optimistic.
Speaker 1: About speaking of optimism and progress and the world of AI. So you sent me a film that I that I had to endure.
Speaker 4: Yes, so it was.
Speaker 2: Last week Open Ai released a long but beautifully shot video of two men meeting at a cafe in San Francisco, and those two men were Sam Oltman, who was the CEO of open Ai, and Sir Johnny Ive who is an industrial designer, the ex chief design officer at Apple where he built the iPhone and the MacBook Pro. And they together are discussing with each other and also to camera the fact that Johnny's product and engineering company Io is merging with open Ai, their mission being to create a family of devices, so hardware and instead of us, you know, making our listeners sit through it all. I think the key moment of the video, or the problem, the key thesis, as Sam Oltman puts it, is he describes that, you know, we have like magic intelligen in the cloud, but if I want to ask chat JBT something right now, I'd have to get out my laptop. I'd have to launch the Internet, I'd start typing, and I'd have to like explain that thing. And you know, we're sort of at the limit of what a laptop can do. And so it sounds like they're gunning for a wearable and so we'll get to the rumors of what they're actually going to build. But other than that, the video is pretty light on details. So if they're not selling a particular product here, Russ. What are they selling us?
Speaker 1: Well, they're selling us themselves. I mean when I had a look at that film, my immediate reaction to it was ge whiz only in America, you know, I mean just and it really is. It really is writ large the difference between the American economy and ours, the Australian economy. And what I mean by that is that it showbiz right. Like literally the founder Sam, the founder Sam and founder Johnny. They literally they believe it's okay to make a film about themselves and the you know, the marriage that they are about to create in order to create even more value and even more ideas and more progress. Now I'm not knocking it. I wish that we were like that. I would love the idea that a couple of Australian entrepreneurs, we're happy to make a film about meeting in a cafe or a pub to talk about the next brilliant thing that they're about to produce. But we at a so far away from ever ever being in a position where culturally that would be acceptable.
Speaker 4: It's it's a very good point.
Speaker 2: It's funny how they get around the facts that they are just creating this really self aggrandizing video by having each other describe the other. So Johnny's describing Altman as bearing this huge responsibility, but it's still humble and curious, and Johnny is quoite, the deepest thinker in the world.
Speaker 4: And he has a lovely family.
Speaker 2: And you just watching this saying what's going on right now?
Speaker 1: I watched it exactly what. Okay, So my question to you is, that's very difficult for that to work in Australia, But does that work in America? What's your experience? Obviously you're living there, you've seen the film wells being there. What's your experience with regard to how it's been received in the US?
Speaker 2: I think it's it's funny with the news, so it's you're very right that it's it's not shocking, and the new cycles such as it is, that it wasn't overly discussed too much. People were very quick just to get into the details of this being I think the most expensive aquahigher, or maybe the second most expensive aquahigher in history. And so for all the theater and whatnot, it's it's almost table stakes to be this self aggrandizing and this to paint an image of oneself as something like a deep thinking god is kind of par for the course in tech right now, right, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yes, no, I agree, And so my I suppose my assumption is that you know, you, there's probably an investment community that would get excited about it, and the community I'm imagining just just as I say, they just get pumped by the notion that so Johnny and Sam are going to get together to create something brand new, and they just they just go, this is exciting. Where do I point my money? Right? Because the I mean my time in New York, you know, I remember fondly. Really the vast majority of conversations that you would have over lunch or at dinner or whatever, is in fact about ideas, investments, companies that are going well, outstanding executives. It is like we might talk about footy.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, about Collingwood. They speak about ideas the way we speak about Collingwood's frontline exactly.
Speaker 4: It's much fashioned.
Speaker 2: It's funny just to touch on the language that we've gotten so used to hearing from these people. Towards the end, when Sam Oltman says, I think this will be one of those moments of just an absolute and that he does the dramatic pause, an absolute embarrassment of riches of what people go create for collective society, and Johnny says, I am absolutely certain that we are literally on the brink of a new generation of technology that can make us our better selves. Like the Mayo on this is incredible.
Speaker 1: Right but parf the course right now, wearable. I think wearables are really interesting. So I mean you can already get a pair of ray bands, can you not? Which have got the cameras and you can do the Google search and you can listen via the arms on the sunglasses. I've been meaning to get myself a pair of those, because that strikes me is actually a really good idea. How are they going in the US? You hardly see anyone wearing them here well, and that's.
Speaker 2: Honestly, Russ. It gives Yeah, I'm selling hard right now. We've got metas ray bands. You've also got so that video from open Ai, I think was purposefully timed to release at the same time as Google Io twenty twenty five, so they're big festival and they were demoing their new Android XR prototype glasses. So you have open Ai, Google and you know, we know Apple's done their vision. Recently, everyone is racing towards a wearables and to these glasses. And one thing that just gives me so much joy is that we as a society have repeated have repeatedly said no to these things. It feels like once every three months, some billionaire pops up and tells us to get in the helmet and we say no, thank you.
Speaker 4: He why would I do that?
Speaker 2: So do you think, like, does computing need this form? Is this natural? Or are they just inventing a problem.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's no doubt in my mind that wearable. Let's just go with the glasses. There's no doubt in my mind that the vast majority of humans on Earth will be wearing those classes within before this decade's out. I'm convinced of that. You know, I think that they're just going to be the utilitarian must have. Genuinely, I think that's what's going to happen, because you can just see so many practical uses and not the least of which they then do a co lab with let's say, well as they have done with a ray ban, so they don't have to look clunky, they can look cool, they can look as cool. You know, the glasses that I've got. I rather they love the classes I'm wearing at the moment. So if they can be turned into a wearable which has got all the joys of modern tech involved, I'm going to bring it on. I mean, look, Freddie, maybe this is something that happens as you get older. As you get older, you get more and more nervous about someone's name that you've forgotten. So I'm imagining that my glasses are going to look over there's Genevieve over there, she's our producer. If I've had a senior moment, I've forgotten Genevieve's name. It's just my glasses. They're just going to tell me. They're going to say, there's Jen right, and by the way, she produces admission. So I feel like I'm very convinced that that's the case. And then what will then happen is the robots, Tesla robots, the Tesla robot, and you're wearable. They're going to be best friends and they're going to help you have a I hope, have a better life. There is, though, that nonsense where Zuckerberg said the other day that he's excited about AI because he thinks it's going to solve loneliness. I mean, give me a break, it'll do the opposite. So there's anyway, there's a lot of there's a lot changing for Addie.
Speaker 2: There's a lot changing. And yeah, I'm it's it's it's funny. That does seem to be I totally get it. We sort of in some ways treat it as inevitable that we're all going to be doing this, but we're also all very cognizance of the risks of it. No one wants to be receiving ads against their eyes. We're all terrified of, you know, atrophying our brain muscles as well. And I think it's it's interesting to see. I think open Aye is going to be interesting because I don't think they're going for glasses. They're going to have like a pin. I think it's rumored something that will like a broach on a brooch on your shirt and we'll have a little camera and you can check your phone and maybe in your headphones it might speak to you through that. So I think they're smart to not go directly for the glasses because I think there's there's something to get over the fact that I don't. I'm going to feel uncomfortable if everyone I'm talking to is wearing a body cam, you know. Ah, it's this surveillance constant and the fact that you're being filmed at all time, Like, I think there's something there that no one's really addressing. That we're all going to be on record all of the time, which is a big barrier for us to get over.
Speaker 1: I went to a pizza making lesson the other day, Freddie, and the pizza maker had his ray Ban camera glasses on and and he said to us, you know, warning, I am filming the the pizza making lesson, and he was filming it because he then turned that into like within minutes, content content for his pizza making website. And I thought, well, I wasn't really offended by the fact that he was filming, you know, the class. So I don't know, Freddy. I think people, I think we might get over it quite quickly. You know. It's like I remember very well the first person I saw speaking on the tram on a mobile phone, and it was like, do you reckon? You are dickhead? Right, Yeah, Within a couple of weeks, everyone's on the mobile phone on the tram, so I think that these things they do because in the end, the utility of it is what outs it. Utility will out I reckon.
Speaker 4: It's yeah, I mean, God help us.
Speaker 2: I think you're right, it's coming, but I'm not excited about it.
Speaker 1: Rus tell me about web tunes, web tunes.
Speaker 4: Web turons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean so like Tobacco, I was so. My neighbor very.
Speaker 4: Kindly invited me to a party this week.
Speaker 2: At party they were hosting downstairs, and everyone there that the neighbors in publishing, and everyone there was in publishing, naturally, and it was it was I spent most I'm so ashamed of how I was acting because everyone just kept mentioning books as if everyone just reads like all of them.
Speaker 4: All the time.
Speaker 2: You read a lot of books, yeah, but these people are on another level. They'd say like, oh, well, yeah, I'm I've just come off the back end of Emma Desktops. You know, we all wear up, and I'd have to be like, oh, that was you, congratulations, that's awesome. But I regret asking or not asking, like, how do you all have the time to read all of this book? Surely no one has time for this anymore. And that's why I was so excited when I found out this week about something called webterns. So this is this is something coming out of South Korea and it's essentially digital comics designed for vertical scrolling on smartphones.
Speaker 1: So I've been seriously how obvious obvious?
Speaker 2: It's so obvious, and yet it's just no one's for whatever reason.
Speaker 1: I've been like, one's done it.
Speaker 2: Yes, we've been.
Speaker 4: I've been thinking about it.
Speaker 2: I've been talking about it for a while, ever since a Cantar report last year came out saying that Australian's what is it one in three Australian students can't read proficiently, saying okay, well maybe it's time we revisit the book. And South Korea is only bloody gone and done it with this vertical scrolling. So right now, the market for web turns is valued at about nine billion dollars, so that was in twenty twenty four. They're expecting it to be worth nearly one hundred billion by twenty thirty three. So this is a huge, huge industry.
Speaker 1: And the fact that it's what I need to do. I suppose I just need to Google search web two.
Speaker 2: Yes, so there are I think there are two main platforms you go to right now, web Turn and Cacao Entertainment sort of the two big players right now. And it's really interesting because it's just a way for really independent creators, and you can imagine how it's only going to get easier and easier for a single solo artist. They're using, you know, maybe chat JBT to help generate the images to create a series that's really really just aimed at someone on the tram saying I would like five minutes of your time and you're just going to swipe through this this comic book that I've made for you. And it's really interesting how quickly these ips are profligrating into the rest of the world. So websterms such as Solo Leveling and Tower of God have already been turned into anime series and are being considered for live action adaptations. So like it's a new It sounds obvious, but it's it's a really I think the most exciting aspect of it is just the democratization of people being able to pitch and make essentially storyboards for a new IPS to go out into the world. I'm really excited. I mean, what do you do you have any fears about this? Are you as excited as I am?
Speaker 1: You totally. As soon as you articulated what it was, it's like, well, that'll work, you know, as as we've discussed many times before, Freddy the obvious. The obvious always works, you know, So there's something about it. I suppose it's just the It'll be just intuitive and it will work. It'll work brilliantly. And Charlie Harcroft comes to mind as well, Freddy, I mean he needs to be well, he needs to be made aware of web tunes, because I reckon that'll be in his wheelhouse.
Speaker 2: It's it's absolutely up his wheelhouse. I hadn't thought of that, like just for people and you and your family of you know, rich heritage of cartoonists to suddenly have a place where they can go and put out really exciting, new quirky work. And people might say, oh, well, you know Instagram carousels, why not there. I think it's it's almost like it's a bit like the writer's room. Having a space that's just dedicated for a particular art form just makes it so much more exciting and audiences get to focus.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking that probably.
Speaker 2: The next the next bluey will start as a web turn I'm sure of that.
Speaker 1: Nice, nice, nice Freddy. Well, keep your eye peeled for that particular content and then see if you can get involved.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and in fact, I mean how to use it in an advertising sense as well. I'm sure that you and your agency colleagues will be thinking, Okay, how can we actually use this new form of storytelling to tell brand stories? I mean, don't be shy from doing that. Pretty you know, I was thinking about you at that in that New York publishing party. You would have been like a pig and shit, there.
Speaker 2: Mate, I was. I'm embarrassed by how poorly I did.
Speaker 4: It's just like.
Speaker 2: You think you read Russ and then you meet someone whose job it is to read and you realize that these is just another world entirely, and you start. I was walking prior to that night, I was thinking, oh, you know, I'm a bit of a bookworm or whatnot. And to them, ah, to them, they probably thought I was struggling on the consonants.
Speaker 1: It was sure, that's not well, well there you go, there you go. And so your ambition, you're reading ambition has been heightened, and that's a good thing.
Speaker 4: That's true. That's true, or I'm just going to become a web turn sort of guy. I feel like I'm maybe more of a web turn sort of consumer.
Speaker 1: Now I want to talk to you about a register for Rowan. So register for Rowan. Old school friend of mine, Freddy, his son. When he was eighteen years of age, he was diagnosed with my loma, so acute my lord leukemia in fact, and he is in remission now, but he does need to have a transplant. And as I was reading about him Rowan, I thought of you, Freddy, because you and the Good Ones were responsible, of course for making a campaign. So can you tell us about that?
Speaker 2: Yes, so, yeah, it was back I'm trying to think when it was back in it must have been twenty twenty where we were a good One creative. We were contacted by a charity called Australian Marrow Match, and the charity came about from a family like in a similar situation, who someone in their family had been diagnosed with blood cancer and had received a stem cell transplant.
Speaker 4: And the fact of I guess for people who.
Speaker 2: Aren't aware of it right now. So if you are someone that needs a stem cell transplant, I think there's about eleven hundred Australians every year who need one and.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's entirely correct, yes.
Speaker 2: And so only about forty thousand Australians are on the donor registry. So you have to sign up to go on this registry. And the thing is that it is so rare to have a match someone. So in the case of Rowan, I believe it's like his siblings are only about fifty percent matches, and you really need someone who's like close to one hundred percent really for a successful transplant to go through. So like Australia is in a pretty dire position and eighty percent of donations will come from overseas. So Australian Marrow Match flew us out actually to Tasmania to meet a man named Mark Reid, who.
Speaker 4: Father of three boys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, father of three boys, who had gone through the ordeal of blood cancer and yet the stem cell transplant had saved his life and you hear these sort of things, and we were there to make a documentary about him, and I remember interviewing him actually very clearly, and him talking about his first day back from the hospital when the doctors had said, you know, we think you're going to make it after you know the stem cell, the transplant's taken. You know, you think, we think you're going to be okay. And because you know, he'd had to do it all in Melbourne, he'd been sort of away from his family during this whole just awful ordeal, and he was talking about just the the contentment he felt sitting on the couch watching a game of footy with his sons and his wife.
Speaker 1: First aid back, Yeah, and it was just now you registered, Freddy, did you not?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I did, Yeah, And I think so it's you've got to be eighteen to thirty five in order to register. I think that is also correct.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: And why is that the case? Why? Why why couldn't I do it? Well?
Speaker 2: I think you. I think what they want is eighteen to thirty five year old men because you men particularly, they have just more mass and so more stem cells to give, and eighteen to thirty five because they're really good at producing them from that age. So yeah, that's what they're looking for. And these people as well, less likely to have any sort of complications of their own. Generally they're pretty healthy. So I actually got the call up for a donation, and the process you go through from when they call you up to when you actually give the donation. There's quite a bit of time actually, because what they have to do on their end, whoever's receiving the transplant, a lot of the time they'll go through another bout of chemo I think it is, and they're essentially trying to get their own stem cell count down to as close to zero as they can before it gets too dangerous, before they can load you up with the new stuff. So and when they're going through that process, the worst thing that could happen would be someone drop out or you know, it comes up with their own like. So it's the person on the receiving end of the transplant is going through a risky process and there's a lot of trust in the since signing up that when the time comes and if they've said yes, that they're going to stick it through.
Speaker 1: Good Man, Okay, so you've made a film about about a gentleman who has gone through has successfully gone through that process. My friend's son, his name is Rowan And if people who are listening are interested between the ages of eighteen and thirty five, I know that my mate he would really appreciate if you go to the website register for Rowan. That's one word, register for Rowan. We'll put it on the show and maybe we can put a link to your story as well on the show. Freddie, so register for Rowan and I know it would be well, I mean one of the right words on this one. Appreciated is nowhere near a strong enough word.
Speaker 2: Absolutely right, best thing I ever did. So I would highly recommend that everyone go sign up. Takes not too long at all to do it, to get swabbed. And yeah, if you're lucky enough to get the call up, you'll spend the rest of l thanking God.
Speaker 1: You did well done, Freddy. Okay. Inclosing, what are you reading?
Speaker 2: I'm reading right now and the week suffer what they must, which is a history of trade surpluses and deficits and how the birth of the Euro led to Greek's crisis posed too yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's very interesting. Maybe the last time I was in Greece they were just talking about how much they hate being part of the Euro or like like the local public and or what whoever I was talking to, he said, well, you know what, in the old days, the Germans would come down here to Greece with their Deutsche marks, and they turned the Deutsch marks into the what's the what's the Greek one? What was the great one called Drachma? Was it? It might be a track anyway, they Yeah, they turned they turned the deutsch marks into the local Greek currency and think they were rich. And what they would then do, of course, suspend it all right, So they weren't very like your average Greek punda wasn't very happy about being involved with the Euro So maybe you can just tell me all about it. I'm not sure I'm going to read that one, but you'll have to tell me all about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll do my best to make sense of Frankly, quite a lot of economic gobbledegurg from my years. Maybe there'll be a web turn about it someday.
Speaker 1: Good stuff. Well, I'm Freddie, Thanks us, thanks for listening. You can subscribe to Admission wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: And follow us on Instagram at Admission Podcast. You can send us a message and add an idea anything you reckon we should talk about.
Speaker 1: You can also follow me Russell Holcroft on x or LinkedIn, and of course you can hear me on three out of breakfast every morning with the inimitable ros Stevenson. Chat to you next week, Freddy so here