Speaker 1: On Sydney.
Speaker 2: Now you can't handle the truth.
Speaker 3: The straight shooters.
Speaker 2: It's our straight shooter for a Wednesday. I've Lucy's lh Lucy save me from the public transport system.
Speaker 1: I don't even know that they can save themselves. Clinton. I mean, this is just turning into.
Speaker 4: Quite the catastrophe for them, isn't it. Not only is it a public relations disaster, but it's also a disaster on the ground for Sydney commuters and the fact that this now, this piece of vital infrastructure in the city is being mocked and it's suffering. Yeah, and it's that it's also suffering some serious reputational damage to and you know, and people being able to also just rely on it as a you know, as a as a wonderful way to get through the city and to be on time and to not have to stare down the barrel of potential industrial action. I mean that there's just there's so many narratives around all of this, I think, which have been so frustrating for commuterity to be.
Speaker 2: For the Metro has been pretty reliable, Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Metro, it's been all right.
Speaker 4: But I'm saying as a whole I think unfortunately all being grouped into the one category.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely. Gary actually asked the question, doesn't the pause in union work bands expY next month? So yeah, Garry's right. The IC issued that ban effectively on industrial action through until June, so I'll find the precise date now. The Transport Minister was actually questioned about the negotiations with the union today and he said, look, they're need no negotiating on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: Do you think they're going to get this over the line eventually? Clinton?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it's a militant unit.
Speaker 1: So brace yourselves.
Speaker 4: The anarchists are coming back to the floor and really you've got to start relying on your e bike that's hopefully not going to blow up in the middle of the night because of the lithium batteries, or jump in your car that's been fueled by some fossil fuels.
Speaker 2: Phil says, bring back Gladys. Was Gladys.
Speaker 4: I loved glad Yeah, and I thought she was fantastic in.
Speaker 2: That these problems on Sydney's train network they've been they go back decades and decades. Governments of all political persuasions have failed on it. But yes, the coalition actually did develop Metro and Metro does seem to be the answer. Now there's been a significant court case today. A Newington College student has lost a bid to challenge the school's move to become a co ed. So from twenty twenty six and this will be staged, boys and girls will begin attending Newington. But there was a challenge in court. We can't name the the student can only be referred to as student aid. The student filed a lawsuit in December of twenty twenty four and the case hinged on terminology in the school's eighteen seventy three Deed of Identire which the statement said that an efficient course of education for youth and is limited the advancement of education of boys and young men. However, a court has handed down a judgment and it's found that the terminology was used in a gender neutral sense, so they conclude effectively that Newington can move towards co ed. Good thing or bad thing.
Speaker 4: Look, I happen to DiscId agree with it purely on the basis that I think that we've had co educational and single sex schools exist for an extended period of time now decades, and I think that if it works and if it's something that students have a preference and parents have a preference for, then it should be made available to them. And we're not only talking about, you know, just any.
Speaker 1: Old school as well.
Speaker 4: The fees of this particular school are also quite exorbitant as well. If you're a parent and you've got a child in either year eleven or twelve, you're paying upwards of forty five thousand dollars a year. So parents who know of Newington College have this expectation that it will be a single sex and all boys school. Now, I think that we've seen this kind of trend recently as well, where there have been other schools across Sydney, and prestigious Sydney schools as well, that will no longer have co educational learning at their junior campuses, schools like Kinkopple as well, which we know to be very prestigious. But I'm just intrigued as to why there has been this shift against it, because I think that we should have those offerings available to students and to parents if they would prefer to go to either a co ed or a single sex school.
Speaker 2: I Ever, when it comes down to money, well, I reckon that the man and I don't go to a pride didn't get to a private school. My kids don't get all private school my parents, my grandparents did. I'd suggest it's the operators of the school of the opinion, that to broaden their income base, they feel the need to open up to both male and female students.
Speaker 4: As if the private schools aren't already generating a hell of a lot of money. Clinton, I mean, and again it comes down to personal experience. I know we were speaking to our producer Hannah earlier and she said that she didn't very much enjoy her single sex, all girls school experience. My sister went to an all girls school. Her two daughters, my nieces go to all girls schools, and they just love them. They really appreciate them well they go.
Speaker 2: So I went to public schools. But my public school merged with a girls school for year eleven and twelve and is now a co ed school. And I actually loved it, not just because I do like girls, but but because it for me personally, it lifted the standards of the boys. The boys then actually I think, improve their behavior and academically. It was more of a challenge to have strong academic girls in our class.
Speaker 4: It'd be interesting to see the metrics on that, wouldn't it If it.
Speaker 2: Does actually impact a lot of parents of daughters don't believe it's good for their daughters.
Speaker 4: All sons as well. They believe that the opposite sex exactly that they can prove to be a bit of a distraction. But I just I mean to your point about it being financial, Okay, that's one, but you know, with these particular institutions that have been known historically to be single sex, I do find it interesting now that they are going against their traditional ethos and the premise of which their school and campuses and alumni have been built upon, are now making this shift, and I think it kind of denies parents that opportunity to be able to send them to a school based on those particular preferences.
Speaker 2: What's your view? Are you happy that the major GPS schools like Newington, not all of them, but Newington certainly is based on this court decision that now they handed down, will go co ed. Let us know one eight seven three is our number. Lucy zell atch Ow straight shoot for a Wednesday afternoon just on the trains, and it says bring back the monorail. I don't think they're going to bring back the mone on the concord.
Speaker 1: What else can we unearth?
Speaker 2: Okay, On schools, Bill says, I went to the Oberon Central School. Apart from freezing my backside off, I did pretty well good On your bill, Greg says, I'd like to know who's paying for all the works at Newington which would be required for the co ed school. They will have to make.
Speaker 4: Changes, absolutely, they'll have to make changes, so they'll have to install female facilities, et cetera.
Speaker 1: They'll have to go through all of that.
Speaker 4: So whether that Clinton, as we said earlier, speaks to your point about it being financial and they'd like to broaden the scope, I would think, and judging by their alumni as well, that money is something that this school wouldn't be short on. As I said, I'm just more intrigued as to whether it is solely financial law they're motivated by something else in this particular area. I'd love to know what the genuine reasons are.
Speaker 2: Ben on the text line zero force x zero eight seven three out seven three says traditionally women would not allowed to vote at one point. Also, Ben's's move with the times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Ben, that's not comparing like for like, So what are we saying. I mean, a woman's right to vote is a human right. A right to go to an all boys school? I think that that's just ultimately down to preference, right. If that's something that you choose, and that's something that you would like to do, I think that you should have that option available to you, particularly at an institution that has been known historically for being an all boys or all girls' school.
Speaker 2: I'm getting more messages on this now coming in. Mari says, how can a reference to young boys be gender neutral? Give me a break?
Speaker 1: That's for that, I know, right?
Speaker 4: And how the court and how did the court come to that determination? I mean, I oftentimes we get sucked into semantics around this when it comes to the law. But I just thought that, you know, the interpretation of youth being gender neutral versus the reference of boys and men, and that apparently not being you know that also then being gender neutral is very bizarre.
Speaker 2: Now you were fired up today about climate cancer. What's climate cancer? I've not heard of that one.
Speaker 4: I try, I'm trying so desperately to say this with a straight face. It is such an absurd story. And let me be clear on this right And I'm by no stretch of the imagination of climate denier, but by no means am I also a replica of Greta Tunberg who believed five years ago that the world was going to be on fire. Remember her interview that she gave or her it was like a press conference and where she was kind of attacking everybody and saying.
Speaker 1: How dare you? I mean, it was just all so ridiculous. Could we be doing more?
Speaker 4: I'm sure, But I am someone that a is a big fan of nuclear energy. I think it is a step in the right direction. B I think that climate change and.
Speaker 1: Its references in so many areas.
Speaker 4: That just are downright disrespectful or just out of place entirely are becoming the norm now, and that's a really big problem. So in this particular instance, there was a study that was released via some researchers in Egypt which analyzed the rates of breast, cervical, ovarian, and uterine cancers in seventeen Middle Eastern countries and compared them to rising temperatures over time. I just found it to be pretty ridiculous because they argued that they found that for every one degree celsius, which translates to one point eight degrees fahrenheit temperatures increased. Cases of the four cancers on average increased by up to two hundred and eighty per one hundred thousand people over the last twenty years. I mean, you could find causality in anything if you desperately.
Speaker 1: Looked for it.
Speaker 4: It's like it's almost like referencing, Oh, the number of children who grow up to not believe in Santa rise over time. Well, yeah, because they grow up and they realize that Santa doesn't exist, and it's just a slap in the face to you know what. Some of the real issues going on with cancer and.
Speaker 1: Its causalities are.
Speaker 4: They're not choosing to factor in the rise in cancers due to poor dietary health, due to a number of other reasons, over reliance on pharmaceuticals, poor lifestyle choices as well.
Speaker 1: The fact that.
Speaker 4: They're trying to link this to climate change I think is very insulting. And both my mother and my sister are survivors of cancer, thank goodness. My mother in law, who we lost very sadly just after four days after Christmas, was not But we're not living in extreme and exorbitant temperatures. You know, my family has grown up in Canberra, which typically is quite cold over the winter months. So this argument, I think is not only insulting, but it's just plain dumb.
Speaker 2: I look yesterday, I mentioned this on the Pragmum yesterday, the Lock the Gate organization, and they are very well, they're quite a militant environmental group. They put them it really saut and said the mid North closed floods which I witnessed on Monday, were the cause of the Albanese government approving more commins.
Speaker 1: Oh my, oh gosh, what about do you.
Speaker 2: Remember when I'm actually not anti clim the climate is changing that there's a question whether how much human involvement is the cause of that. But if the Albanezy government did not approve those coal mines, the floods would still occurred. Of course, I'm not going to change that. We're talking change over generations.
Speaker 4: And this is where the conversation gets very immature and nonsensical and irrational. And I genuinely believe I mean, you call the militant, and they are in many respects, but I do believe that it causes some of these genuine organizations who have some legitimate claims about the climate changing, et cetera.
Speaker 1: And what we could be doing more.
Speaker 4: It causes them harm and it really detracts from their messaging and their validity in those messages.
Speaker 2: Wednesday Straight Shitter with Lucy's Zilich seventy three on the issue of co ed school and co ed private schools, Dean has a thought get the Dean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gooday, guys. Look, when boys only schools go co eds, then the girls only schools doesn't follow suit in a local LGA area, you then put boys in the area at a disadvantage. You're limiting the boys' options of private education in a local area.
Speaker 4: I agree, Dean, and that's why I think that those choices should be made available to them, especially for institutions that have always historically been say, for example, all boys or all girls. I just think it's a very limiting decision, and I think it's not a fair one either.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dean. This message from one of our listeners on the text line zero four zero eight, seventh grade seven three. I have one son at Newington, three daughters at a similarly prestigious girls school. My husband and I both went to public high schools that were co ed. We're making choices for our children. Our decisions were based entirely on academic and co curricular activities on offer, not gender. We would have been thrilled at least to have the choice of a co ed private school in our area, the caliber of those sort of schools, So I think choice is important.
Speaker 4: Of course, choice is important, and that's what I think the underpinning messages in all of this. You want to be able to have the choice to send them to either a co ed or a single sex school. And by limiting people you know and limiting those options available to them, I think it's just proving to be a disservice.
Speaker 2: Now Anthony Alberanezi has made some comments in Brismon today, I reckon they get your fired up. Have listened to this.
Speaker 5: Just a fun fact that's been drawn to my attention is that there are more women whose name begins with A in the Labor Party caucus in the House of Representatives. Ten then there will be nine coalition women on the floor of the House of Representatives in the Liberal Party and the National Party. Combined with Anika here, Anna Lee Ailey France is Alisha Payne, Alice Jordan, Baird, ash Ambaha Paha and Stanley, Alison Burns and er Kat and Amanda Rishworth, the a's have it.
Speaker 1: Oh God, this is cringey.
Speaker 4: Was anyone else just listening to this and thinking, this is the prime minister of our country and this is something that he has chosen to chosen to get himself wrapped up in. This is what he's getting himself whipped up over and again. It's all just to try and smear the Liberal Party and try to get them to live in that murkiness and that tag that of course was championed by the Gillard government, who we know all infamously delivered Julia Gillard that he has delivered that infamous misogyny speech. But she also happens to be the same first female prime minister that introduced gender identity into the Sex Discrimination Act in twenty thirteen. So when you go to the toilets, or you compete in your local girls team and you see boys either coming into those bathrooms or playing in your team, you can thank the greatest feminist fraud.
Speaker 1: In history, Julia Gillard for that. Thank you.
Speaker 2: The left Arm of Government, State of Origin. One Tonight, Suncott Stadium, Brisbane, The Queensland is up against New South Wales. Now you were you grew up in the Act.
Speaker 4: HM.
Speaker 2: Does that mean you are neutral? No?
Speaker 4: No, Well I'm a big New South Wales supporter right and I think it's only largely because that's the closest kind of of the two, that's the closest to us, so we will always be championing for them to win.
Speaker 2: Mark Levy with state of origin. He's calling his first origin match tonight. You're hearing V Lucy. You'll be back next week.
Speaker 1: Thank you mate.