Speaker 1: Onto the GV. This is sitting now with Clinton Maynard.
Speaker 2: Tuesday, June twenty four, one three one eight seven three our number. It is Clinton Maynard here. A little over an hour has now passed since the ceasefire between Israel and Iran was meant to kick in. Donald Trump announced it. Of course, that will be phased in over twenty four hours. Two o'clock our time was the indication we were given. The Iranians initially said that they hadn't entered into an agreement, and then Iranian State TV would have been about an hour and a half ago they said yes, the ceasefire will take place, but were now receiving reports and these are still unconfirmed around the world that there has been a sixth round of missiles fired at Israel and that those rounds have actually been fired post the ceasefire time. So we'll keep you up to date throughout the program on that. A lot coming up from the show. We're going to try and make some sense of today's date budget. There is a lot of focus on housing and the billion dollar plan for the government to become Garran Tau to encourage developers of big housing projects. But this has jumped out at me and it's the future of the sixty dollars toll cap and it's not promising more on that in a moment. There's been a slow down in the sale of electric vehicles despite there being more variety on the market. Now they are cheap than they've ever been. Why a lot of it has to do with servicing. We're going to look at that. Holy Hughes joins me in studio for straight Shooters today. She's now left Parliament. I might have found something for her to do in retirement. Keep listening for that Mark guy with all the sport, and I'm going to spin two GB's winter wheel. This is the chance for you to win hundreds. In fact, this is the chance to win thousands. We have a very good record on this program of giving away a lot of money. So you've got to keep listening for me to spin the wheel a little later. You are our eyes and ears when it's happening in Sydney. Now, if you see something we need to know about, send me a text message zero force zero eight seven three eight seven three and then have you say one three one eight seven three. Well in Sydney. Now, Merreton has just put a statement out in regards the wild brawl that took place at castle Hill. Now, Mark Leevey broke the story this morning. Go to our website. If you haven't seen this video two gb dot com and there is video of it. Would be twenty thirty maybe even more. Tradees all dressed there in high viz fighting with each other. Well, Mereton has put out a statement because it was outside a Mereton work site secton Avenue in Castle Hill, and their statement says Mereton promotes safety and does not condone any violent or threatening behavior on its job sites, whether employees, subcontractors or visitors. No direct Meriton employees were involved in this incident that took place on the street outside the Castle Hill construction site. Appropriately, the local police were called, who have since intervened, and we have ascertained there were no serious injuries. Two people were treated by paramedics, but Merriton says not seriously industries, the contractors involved in the fight have been terminated immediately. I want to bring in James Wilson from nine News. He's been on the scene throughout the day. James, do we have any idea what sparked all of this?
Speaker 3: Good Clinton, Yeah, I popped my head down there a few hours ago and spoke to a few of the tradees who witnesses brawl, and you're right, this thing was huge. There were like twenty or thirty workers having a huge go around seven am this morning on Sexton Avenue. Now, how did this brawl start. I'm hearing a few different things. One of the lines of inquiries that I've been told is potentially a pay dispute. I know that it did start between two people or two men originally when they kicked off all their other colleagues and all the other boys jumped in these I've been told that.
Speaker 4: These are the form workers.
Speaker 3: So there are certain crew that works on this site doing form work and as you just mentioned, they've all now been blacklisted and booted off the site not to return. I tell you who else is looking for them as well, Clinton the police. They all scattered and got out of there before the cops rocked up, so some serious questions to be asked of them. And yeah, there were two people that were actually taken to hospital. And if you look at this vision which you mentioned is on the two GB website, one man gets booted in the head with a steel cap boot and then other people are getting bashed on the head with hard hats, crazy and crazy stuff.
Speaker 2: Indeed, the video and you'll play it on nine years tonight, you see some of these guys and the two men that were injured forty three and fifty five year old. So a lot of these men are middle aged. And there's one bloke he rips off his white hard hat and he goes along, and then there's sumps another bloke in their head who doesn't have a hard hat on, and they're all wearing the high visit. I don't know if this is an accurate description, James, but it looked like on the surface it was fluo yellows versus flu or orange.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're trying to figure out if that means anything. If any traders out there no different high viz means anything on the job site, maybe they could point us in the right direction. But certainly that line of inquiry a potential pay dispute. Maybe that does divide this brawl and bring in those numbers where you've got the workers against management and all the rest of it. But of course police need to ask questions. A lot of the people down on that site talking to the cops, and obviously those that dispersed are now being looked for. But he's a serious charges and we're dealing with genuine assault cases here and in the vision. It's clear that there are a lot of people involved. So this isn't the last we're going to hear this story, Clinton, This is going to keep going for some days.
Speaker 2: We'll see your reports tonight on nine. Thank you, James. Thank you James Wilson from nine News. And have a look at our website. Mark Leevey broke the story this morning to GB dot com. You'll see the footage. We often see footage of a few people involved in fights and brawls. This is about twenty or thirty of them, and they're basically all dressed in the same clothes, but some are in orange ivis, others in yellow.
Speaker 5: If it's happening in Sydney, you'll hear it on Sydney Now with Clinton May on.
Speaker 2: To GB twelve pass through. The state's treasurer Daniel Mookie has now handed down his third budget and it is in deficit, which was fully expected. So the deficit for this financial year is five point seven billion dollars. That's a five billion dollar improvement since twenty twenty three. Twenty twenty four, it forecasts the budget papers forecasts a surplus by twenty seven to twenty eight of one point one billion dollars. Now that's just a forecast, doesn't mean it will happen. But there is a plan though to get back in the black, which is encouraging. Key part of this budget is a massive billion dollar housing plan and this is something that hasn't been done, we're told in this country before. Josh Bryan, our senior reporter, was in the budget lock up today and has been following this at Parliament.
Speaker 6: Hello, Josh, good afternoon, Quinton.
Speaker 2: The billion dollar housing plan. So it's a guarantee the state governor is going to provide for some major projects. How's this going to work?
Speaker 6: Yes, that's right, the pre sale finance guarantee and as you said, they're brooking it to something that's an Australia first ever been done by a state government before. Essentially, what this means is, you know you'd see developers that sell off the plan and they might have sold say fifty percent of the properties, but if, for example, the bank needed them to have sold eighty percent of the properties before they'll give them the finance. So they can start the construction right. The government's saying in these select circumstances, they'll be strict criteria. They'll gain guarantee that thirty percent say that they're missing, so that the bank will give the finance. Work can start, and then the developer will continue selling the homes and then if it gets to a point where those homes aren't sold, then they can call the guarantee. The government will purchase the dwellings at a discount rate and they'll then either be sold from there or turned into affordable or social housing. So essentially it's just designed to I guess, speed up that gap so that when these developments are underway they can get the finance in quicker, which means starting the project quicker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's to encourage more risk effectively by reducing the risk of the developers. The other major plank of the budget, and there's a lot of detail obviously in the budge that's going to cover a lot of areas of government work. But the other big highlight is one point two billion dollars on a child protection package and this is to increase the number of staff who work in this area. It's a very sensitive area of government but in particular to ensure that kids who may need foster care, children who have been left behind by the system are not living unbelievably this happens, are not living and kept in hotel and motel rooms.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, and this is something the state government has said that you know, as soon as they took off that sort of emergency care inner motel or similar with something, they well, they say they have now effectively no longer that no longer happens due to reforms that have been made. But then this funding one point two billion dollars, a large proportion of that to go towards reforming the out of home care system. There's also close to two hundred million dollars to recruit new case workers. And as you touched on foster cares as well, for the first time in twenty years, they're going to get a major increase to the foster care allowance, going up by twenty percent, so a not insignificant increase, particularly given how long it's been since that allowance has increased, So hopefully making it easier for those people who do make that decision to be foster care as they have a little bit more financial support when they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, We certainly can't have kids living in motel rooms. Josh will be covering this right throughout the program. Thank you for your information. Thanks Clinton OW Senior reporter Josh Bryant, who was in the lock up this morning one three one eight seventy three. I'm getting some feedback about what occurred on outside this Merriton building site in Castle Hill. I'll come to that in a moment. But the unfolding situation in the Middle East, Okay, So the latest information we had was that Israeli Israeli State had agreed to the ceasefire, and then Iranian state television had announced, and this was several hours later, that they'd also agreed to the ceasefire, after initially saying that they hadn't if that was supposed to kick in now more than an hour ago two o'clock our time. Since then, there have been reports of more air strikes that have been launched, more missile strikes from the Iranians. Now there's no confirmation at the moment of damage caused by those strikes. The Israeli Defense Force released on social media. This was after the ceasefire. They released a message sirens are sounding in Israel due to a missile launch from Iran, so the Israelis were expecting this to occur. So we don't have confirmation yet that the ceasefire on the twelfth day of this war has actually taken hold. Anthony Abernezi, the Prime Minister, has been asked about the ceasefire on Sky today.
Speaker 8: What we want to see is the ceasefire announced by President Trump implemented. We think that we do want to see dialogue and diplomacy replace any escalation.
Speaker 2: I somehow suspect the Iranians and these rallies won't be listening too closely with what Albo has to say. Nevertheless, that was his statement today to Sky News. Should there be developments over the coming hours, will certainly bring those to you plenty coming up on the program today, I'd like to hear from you a number one three one eight seven three. This is Sydney now, twenty one degrees in Sydney, in Bankstown, twenty two degrees, lovely afternoon. The judge in the mushroom murder trial in Victoria is spending the afternoon instructing jurors. So at the moment, Justice Christopher Biale is going through the case but also highlighting various aspects that the jurors need to take care with during their deliberations. Of course, Aaron Patterson is being tried on three counts of murder and one count of attempt to murder. She is pleading not guilty. Now the judge has told the jury that this is not their responsibility and not his responsibility to decide the verdict. The verdict must be unanimous. They're the only ones who've been in the court the whole time who can make a decision on the facts. He says. The jury must make a decision solely on evidence and ignore feelings of prejudice. This is probably going to be the most anticipated court decision this year. If you have a look at podcast download numbers right around the country with podcasts that have been produced on this particular case, they are through the roof. There is so much interest. Of course, she claims that no, this was completely an accident, that yes, she cooked the mushrooms, but she was not responsible for the deaths of her loved ones and the others involved in this case will continue to watch that with interest.
Speaker 1: Sittney, Now on.
Speaker 2: To twenty three past three. Now, I'm getting some messages that are being sent to me about what's occurred at Cartelehill today. The video that Mark Leevy broke this morning and you can see it on our website, that shows twenty, maybe upwards of thirty construction workers involved in this wild brawl from one of our listeners, and this is all subject now to a police investigation about what sparked it. One of our listeners says, I do have information about this. The fight had to do with two crews of form work. There was one crew mostly made up of trades people of Middle Eastern descent and a supervisor. The other crew is made up of Islanders. Now you can see in the video it does appear to be a fight between trades people of Middle Eastern descent, and there's trades people have a descent there as well. An argument kicked off between the form work supervisor and the boss of the other group who haven't been paid, and James Wilson, our reporter from night had indicated that there are issues here about payment. The rest then joined in to back each other up. The actual Fluo colors themselves don't have anything to do with it now, Max is a trade might have a bit of information about this, so I Max, Hey mate.
Speaker 7: How are you cleaning that good?
Speaker 2: Max?
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's no color codes for the shirts mates, just whatever company you work for. Like I'm a plumb on myself and we have to wear orange and blue. But there is a color code with the helmets. I'd say it's all the difference with safety officers, yeah and so on. So yeah, with the shirts, mate, it's just whatever the company policy is.
Speaker 2: It looks to me like though, that you've got one group who's wearing orange, the other group's wearing yellow, So they would be these two different form work contractors. Mostly via the video, they're all using the white helmets. Max, What did the white helmets signify?
Speaker 9: That's just the standard helmet to come on to a construction site.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, hey, thanks to that information. Max. If you know anything more about what's occurred at Castle Hill, let us know one three, one eight seven three. When the Labor Party campaigned at the last stut election twenty twenty three, central to their campaign was their promise, if they were elected they would reduce the burden of tolls motorway tolls on US Sydney's drivers, that they would make tolls fairer. They've now been in power for more than two years, two and a half years now, and what's changed with toll raids? Just have a think about it. They've increased the toll on the Sydney Harbor Bridge twice, hadn't been increased for years, and of course we paid it off years ago. What else did they do? They introduced the sixty dollars a week toll cap, so dollar that you spend on a motorway toll over the course of a week above sixty dollars, you're entitled to a refund. You've got to put an application in and it's worth tens of millions of dollars. And when I've reminded listeners about you can do it every three months. When I've reminded you to do it, I've had people get in contact with me telling me they didn't realize and they've been owed thousands of dollars and they've had refunds worth thousands.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 2: Well, the budget that's been handed down today, guess what, there is no money, none whatsoever for the sixty dollars toll cap to continue past the end of this calendar year. Now. It was only meant to be temporary, but that was on the basis of a complete overhaul the way tolls are charged in Sydney, a fairer system. What's happening at the moment is there are negotiations going on between the government and Transurban and the fact that we're not hearing anything about this issue and now quietly in the budget funding for the sixty dollars cap is not continuing. That raises my suspicion. That raises my suspicions. The negotiations between the state government and Transurban aren't going too well. And you can't actually blame Transurban here. They have contracts that last for decades to run Sydney's toll network and they're not going to accept less revenue. They're not going to accept less money, and to be honest, nor should they. They entered those contracts in good faith. But the government also went to the election promising to help us the drivers by having a fair assystem by reducing the load. And what's happened well, other than the sixty dollars toll cap and two increases on the Harbor Bridge, there's been no change. And now the budget today confirms the sixty dollars toll cap will not continue beyond this. Beyond this year, and the initial plan was until the end of twenty twenty five. Fine, but that was going to be on the basis of major reforms to the rest of the toll network and it hasn't happened yet. Alan Fels has completed a very detailed report and made recommendations and there are negotiations going on behind the scenes right now with Transurbent, but at the moment we have no details about what's going to happen. And given the toll cap ends now thirty one December, there should be a system in place on the first of January where it completely changes the way you pay tolls on the road. And what are we hearing from the government silence, crickets, nothing.
Speaker 1: Sydney. Now on to GV.
Speaker 2: They always an explanation and it needs to come now in the next month or so because we're now heading into the back half of the year, so we need to know how we're going to be paying for tolls into the future. I should point out in the budget it does say that toll revenue will increase from one hundred and fifty nine million dollars to two hundred and eighty three million dollars. That would be the extra money there generating on the Harbor Bridge and the Harbor Tunnel. Would you be willing to pay three thousand dollars to see Julia Gillard as a hologram alongside Hillary Clinton. There's a big summit coming up, and you, if you've got that sort of money to spend, you could actually spend that on a Julia Gillard hologram speech. Peter Ford'll have all the details shortly. Let's check out news headlines. Good afternoon, thirty four.
Speaker 10: Good afternoon. Clinton workers involved in a fight on a building site at Castle Hill have had their contracts terminated. Merriton says none of its staff was involved in the early morning brawl. That action has been taken against the contractors who took part. The IDF Szaran has launched another missile attack on Israel despite his ceasepire coming into effect. It's now the sixth wave of missile's launch today. More than five and a half billion dollars who's been set aside in the state budget for road projects in Sydney's West. The Menion's Government's third financial blueprint includes funding for the fifteenth Avenue upgrade between Liverpool and the New Western Sydney Airport and Mona Vaiale Road West and the E Safety Commissioner, who has raised concerns about YouTube's exemption from the planned Under sixteen social media ban, arguing forty percent of Australian children have been exposed to harmful content on the website. In Sport, former Melbourne storminger Marcus Buyer has been named on the inaugural board for the NRL's new pup When You're Guinea franchise born and raised MPNG buy one a premiership with the Storm in nineteen ninety nine, Clinton warning us four.
Speaker 2: Thanking Coaty twenty one degrees in the city, twenty one degrees in Penrith at the moment on the emails, if you'd like to send an email, go to our website to gb dot com. On tolls, Michael says, what you need to do if you can't beat them, join them when it comes to paying tolls. Transurban. I bought Transurban shares and they've gone up in value substantially. Now we're not providing any financial advice, but it's the same time when we complain about bank fees, one of the best ways of dealing with that is actually buy some bank shares. Steve on the text line says, why do my taxes have to go to pay someone's tolls. I don't want to pay the toll and don't use the toll ride. Living in an area and having to use tolls is a lifestyle choice. Well, if you live in Penrith, Steve, and you work in the city and you have to use the M four every day and then the West connects, you're paying an absolute fortune. Now that might not be a lifestyle choice. You might not be able to find work that's actually closer to Penrith. Chris is asking the question regarding the budget. Has the state government received their one hundred and five million dollars from the Queensland government for their COVID hotel stays revenue? New South Wales should be involved. Treat it like a big parking fine. No, they've not been paid back the money.
Speaker 1: If it matters to you, you'll hear it here. Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard.
Speaker 2: Until said there's going to be a significant federal court decision announced tomorrow, a decision made on Antoinette Latouf and her issues with the ABC. Peter Ford, we cross all the details, Hi.
Speaker 11: Peter, Yes, Clinton Finally it's coming to her head tomorrow morning at about ten o'clock in the morning. Obviously Mark Wiby across it on this station as it happens. But it's going to be interesting because it's gone on for a long time. Now, long story short, This is the story of Antoinette Latouf who, as a journalist, she was employed on a one week casual engagement to work on ABC Radio. She only got to do three days and her services were terminated because of tweeting and retweeting that she'd done on the issue of gars. Now, there was great outrage about how she was treated, certainly from her point of view there was, and eventually, of course what we have seen is the inner workings of ABC management exposed and what has gone on, and some will say that she was treated very unfairly. Now it is in many ways it's quite odd that this pretty simple thing of a casual one week contract has ended up in this major kind of case which will to a large degree determine the rights and the responsibilities of employees in the media. And certainly, if you are employed on a casual basis, what you are entitled to do or not do, what are your freedoms? And what are your responsibilities? And is retweeting something endorsing it? All of those questions have been a part of this story. So tomorrow morning we'll get some sort of answer. Now, the union which covers journalists who work in the media is MEBA, and they've asked their members to turn up at nine point thirty in the morning at the Federal Court in Phillips Street to cheer Antelette as she walks in to face that judgment being handed down.
Speaker 2: What is the chances and once the judgment's handed down, once the legal proceedings are done with that, another media company is ever going to employ her?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I think she always knew that was the risk that she was taking, but I think she felt that she didn't have a choice. She had to pursue this. You know, many people say she's wanted to be a martyr. Let's see how it all plays out. But it is quite a fascinating case, and you know, I wish her well. She's actually a very talented journalist. But you're right, she's kind of got herself into this situation now where she may have become untouchable for mainstream media employment.
Speaker 2: Now, plead if I save up all my pennies over the next couple of months, and I put together three thousand dollars, will it be worth my time to hand over that check to go and see Julie Gillard as a hologram?
Speaker 11: I wouldn't have thought so, nor would I, but I don't think they want either of us. This is very much a summit meeting which is being held for women. It's the Women Unlimited Leadership Summit, and it's being held the end of September at the High Regency Hotel in Sussex Street, and it is a very expensive event to go to, a two day official event and then some post seminars about it all various speakers involved. The two high profile ones or three high profile ones actually are Hillary Clinton and Julia Gillard and Lee Sales. Now in Sydney, at least if you are going and you are forking out that approximately three thousand dollars, you will get to actually hear and see Hillary Clinton in the flesh. But in the other parts of Australia she's not going to be there at all. Now, Julia Gillard is not going to be there anywhere. She is going to be there as a hologram. Now, don't ask me because I don't.
Speaker 7: Know how that works.
Speaker 11: Well, I know is about the Abba Holograms in London, but she's not going to be there. Lee Sales is not going to be on in every city where the Leadership Summit being held. So look, it's it's I'm sure it's going to be very much about empowerment to networking and I'm sure there's going to be great tips. But Gie, you'd have to be traveling pretty nicely anyway to have the three thousand dollars to hand over to go to it.
Speaker 2: I'm not a massive Abba fan, but I think I prefer to spend the money on Abba in.
Speaker 1: The Holograms exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can on your Pedib'll talk tomorrow, thanks, Quentin. Peter Ford. Well, the prices have now been released for ac DC's tour, so these tickets will go on sale on Thursday for their show in Sydney which is in November. And look, it's not cheap, but it probably could have been a lot more expensive. You can buy b reserve seating for the ac DC show and this is at the Course Stadium for one hundred and thirty two dollars and forty five cents. Now that's very high up in the stands of a core stadium. A reserve seating is two hundred and three dollars and eighty cents, and they'll be booking fees on top of that unlimited a reserve seating, So that's the really good one. Four hundred and seven dollars and seventy cents. If you want to go along to cac DC and you want to stand, and usually if I go to one of those big concerts, I like to stand. If you want to be at the front, three hundred and five dollars seventy five general admission for the rear. They will divide the field basically in two parts two hundred and three dollars and eighty cents. So look, it's a lot of money, but I've got to say it's probably on the reasonable side. Now I'm going along to c Oasis in it's around the same time you'd see the October November, so it's late year. It must be around within a couple of weeks, and I think I've paid. I've just a single seat in the stands. I think I've paid one hundred and seventy five or one hundred and eighty, So ACDC is probably roughly in line with that may be a little bit cheaper because the standing tickets for Oasis were all sold out by the time I logged on, and I think there are a lot more than three hundred and five or two hundred and three. So that's how much you'll pay. You want to see Acadaca later this year, if he's been to one of those big concerts just in the last couple of years, how much have you paid? Intrigued to know, because obviously it's nothing like it was even say pre COVID. The prices have gone up for big ticket entertainment acts massively in the last two or three years. But if you went along to Paul McCartney at Alley Unstadium a couple of years ago, if you saw maybe Taylor Swift, if you're into Taylor Swift, what do you pay for the big stadium gigs? At the moment, I think it's one hundred and seventy five I paid for Oasis, but maybe it's to be expected. B reserve one hundred and thirty two forty five. It's a quarter the four. If you live on the Central Coast, you live at Long Jetty, you might have noticed a string of broken windows on shop fronts on the entrance road Long Jedty over the weekend, middle of the night, very very early Saturday morning. Someone's gone along and they've broken at least the windows of seven of the shops there. Well. Police have arrested a man. They've now charged a thirty two year old. He is facing eight counts of destroy or damage property. He's due to appear in court later next month.
Speaker 1: Sitting now on to GB.
Speaker 2: One seventy three, I've got so much feedback here about how much you pay for concert tickets. Rochelle on the text line says, we paid two hundred and fifty dollars a ticket for Lady Gaga in December. We had Level six at the Core Stadium, so basically nose bleed, So two fifty for nose bleed. So I see DC is a fair bit cheaper than that, Sue, Sue, you went and saw Paul McCartney.
Speaker 12: I did, Clinton, How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good? How much four.
Speaker 12: Hundred and ten dollars each? Now all I went on my own?
Speaker 2: Yeah, whereabouts were you in the in the stadium?
Speaker 1: Gold coat?
Speaker 6: In the gold coat? Do you know whatever the stadium's called?
Speaker 12: And I already bought them like a week before. And I don't know whether you know this little chip, but when you go on your own, it's very easy to get last in the tickets because one.
Speaker 2: Seat that makes sense. Well, I'm going along to Oasis on my own because none of my friends and family liked them. Really, that's that's my life. But the whole stay sold out pretty quickly anyway. Actually, yeah, everybody here in the office. When I said that, Sue's laughing at me because I'm going by myself. I like to go to those sort of things by myself.
Speaker 12: Clinton, I'm seventy four and we're not on my own.
Speaker 2: And you love it as well. Love it nothing wrong to go and see a concept by yourself. Good on you. Sue Zach on the text line says, I went to see ac DC. Last time they played at Sydney Pickpark was a few years back. My tickets were free, we were standing, and it was an absolutely crazy concept. Stephen Newport says Mark Knopfler twenty nineteen in la at the Greek Theater three hundred and twenty us. My wife never asked, well, if you want the top tickets, the top ticket is four hundred and seven dollars seventy, I reckon. There's probably also some special like VIP packages. They called them VIP packages, but it's usually just a reason to charge you a lot more. So the tickets are going to go on sale on Thursday morning. That's just for one Sydney concert, I reckon. They'll end up announcing a few more of them. It's thirteen to four. Look a lot more people, whether you're a fan of them or not, are thinking about buying an electric vehicle. There are more evs on the market, and the prices have been coming down that there's a lot of choice. But there's been some information released today which shows that there are still serious concerns about battery longevity and the overall cost of ownership of an electric vehicle, particularly around issues of service, warranty, repairs and if you have an accident. My Car Mobility Index has been released and I'm joined in the program by Adele Coswilow, who's the chief customer officer with my Car.
Speaker 13: Hello Adel, good afternoon, Clinton, and it's great to be here.
Speaker 2: Look really good topic that you've raised today, and you have released this information through my Car. It has found that a lot of Australiers are still worried about batteries.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that's all right. I mean it's not only battery life, it's ownership, COSS and resale value them. In some of the comments you mentioned as I was just tuning in, now tell.
Speaker 2: Me you and this is what my car is all about. They do run service centers across the country. I've heard there's a significant issue with having people trained to actually repair evs at your chain. Are you repairing evs now and servicing them?
Speaker 13: Yeah, we absolutely are.
Speaker 14: We actually have.
Speaker 13: An existing relationship with BYD which began in twenty twenty one, and so we ensure that our technicians received specialized training to service those BYD vehicles. And we actually have forty three EV stores already, so those EV vehicles, of course, I'm more than welcome to come and visit us at a MICR store, and we are in a position to service.
Speaker 2: So it is possible to service them. Is it right that evs generally need less servicing than a standard ice engine.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that is certainly correct, But there are similarities between servicing of a current ICE vehicle and of course an EV. And never forget tie, no matter what, we'll always need to change tires on whether it's an ice vehicle or an EV.
Speaker 2: How long can you expect an electric vehicle battery to last? Because that is what people are worried about.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and look, I think that's really up to the different manufacturers and so I think as time goes on, we'll learn more and more about that. But the Mobility Index, really that was just kind of showing us just the sentiment towards electric vehicles. And as you would have noticed, you know, in the research, it showed that the same question that we've asked year on year around how Australian's feeling around transitioning to evs, we did see that come down twelve points from last year. So there's still certainly interest is growing, but there's certainly more questions now. And I think it's not that people are against the idea, it's just more about uncertain So.
Speaker 2: What are the concerns that people have other than batteries.
Speaker 13: Well, as we mentioned, it's really just still around the ownership costs and resale value. I think that for us, you know, there's we really need to be clear. We need to provide probably jug and free information to those EV owners around how to care for their battery solutions. But I think it's not just that there's obviously charging networks and how we can prioritize innovation to build on those tech advancements. It's just more around the education and how we can bring that to life and have people feel more confident about driving evs and understanding their vehicles.
Speaker 2: And I think some of that's going to take time once they're and now more electric vehicles on the resale market as well. Thank you if you're time, Adel No, thank you Del Coswilow, who's the chief customer officer of my Car. Now my car they are servicing evs now that they service mostly internal combustion engine cars. I think the biggest issue with giving people confidence in buying electric car is going to be what happens on the second hand market. Yes, of course you can now buy electric vehicles on the second hand market, but you don't see a lot of say, eight year old nine year old Teslas. Is that going to give you confidence buying a Tesla that has a battery that's eight or nine years old. The servicing costs because they're effectively fewer moving parts in an EV over those initial years that you have an electric vehicle. They should be lower than a petrol driven car or a diesel driven car. The problem is going to be what happens when they say reach nine ten years of age. I drive a thirteen year old car and quite you know, I had a big service last week. Cost a lot to keep your thirteen year old car on the road, But it's going to cost a lot more when you need to get a new battery after eight years. If you've got a bit of experience, I'd love to hear from you. If you've got an older electric vehicle or even a too out of hybrid that you've had to put a new battery in, how much did it actually cost you? Let me know? One three one eight seven three. We were reporting in the news yesterday the death of a little boy at a Port Stephen's home in the afternoon. Well the Telegraph is now reporting the two year old's death is not suspicious, but they're reporting how the little boy has died and this is just horrible. They've confirmed with the police that he died of misadventure, his clothing tightened around his neck. Here's this two year old was wearing a hoodie, a hooded jumper and that hooded jumper has become caught on a curtain rod and tragically the boy has died. His distraught mother called Tripolo and paramedics were fairly quick to the scene. They commenced CPR. CareFlight doctors arrived there as well, but the little boy couldn't be saved. Just a horrible, horrible story. Word on the street thinks to temper a great night's sleep, night after night. The difference is temper. Yesterday we brought you the story about what's happening in the neonatal Intensive care ward unit at Westmead Hospital where the nurses and midwives are pulling their hair out because of under resourced department where they don't have simply enough room for all the babies they need to treat well. A word on the street for temper and this has come to my attention from a senior gastro interoller at Westmead. They are going to have an extraordinary meeting of the Medical Council on Thursday at five point thirty. There will be a vote of no confidence in the chief executive of the hospital. They're asking all the specialists to attend. So this is far just beyond the nurses of Westmead hospital. This is from a specialist, a gastro enterologist, and this is separate from what we were talking about yesterday with the neonatal unit, but it does demonstrate the problems that are now within Westmead Hospital. There will be a vote of no confidence in the Chief Executive, and not just from the staff, the nurses, the orderlies. This will involve a meeting of the Medical Staff Council, which includes some of the most senior doctors within that hospital, including specialists.
Speaker 1: Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard.
Speaker 5: If it's happening in your city, you'll hear it on Sydney Now to gb SO.
Speaker 2: Research release today shows that people are still concerned about buying evs because of the law longevity of a battery. Paul, would you buy an electric vehicle?
Speaker 7: I'll never buy an electric vehicle.
Speaker 9: I just I don't like him.
Speaker 7: My son's thirteen.
Speaker 15: We've got a BS Commodore that's a project carf.
Speaker 7: In him, which will be all good to go when he's sixteen.
Speaker 9: Nice izie car with.
Speaker 7: A big, nice engine in it.
Speaker 9: So I'm one of those I'll just never touch on.
Speaker 2: And if you do it up nicely, it might be worth a lot of money. One day being a hold and good on your Paul. This one from Ross. I drive a b YD now I charge my car until it's full. Tells me I have four hundred and eighty k's around the town. I'll probably get maybe four twenty before I need to recharge. If I take it on the open road, I only get two hundred two hundred and twenty kilometer, so it means that every two hours I'm having to stop to charge, and it's for fifty minutes. So I recently went to Melbourne. Should have taken me eight hours to drive to Melbourne. It took me twelve. And unfortunately they don't tell you that in the brochure. I'll look hopefully you get some other benefits, maybe from driving around the city in the buyd Some of those Blueoyd's are pretty good looking cars. I've just received the text message zero fors x zero eight seven three eight seven three from one Mark Levy says two and a half thousand dollars baby, yeeha. I'll be spitting the winter wheel a little later.
Speaker 1: There is Sydney now with Clinton Maynard on.
Speaker 2: To GB Beautiful winters afternoon across Sydney one eight seveny three is our number of the US President Donald Trump has now used his own social media service Truth Social to issue a statement about the ceasefire between Israel and Iran, and he writes in capital letters, the ceasefire is now in effect, please do not violate it. Now there's very little confirmation coming out of either Iran or Israel other than Iranian state TV. And this was before two o'clock our time. Had accepted that there would be a ceasefire, but there were six missile strikes and very little information about about damage. But the Israeli Defense Force had issued a statement by their social media to warn their citizens that there were missiles on the way, and that was after two o'clock our time. But Donald Trump says, the ceasefire is now in effect, please do not violate it. The impact on US has been with flights. Now this morning there were two quarters flights that were flying over the region, and this had come after there had been attack on US space in Kata. Now as a result of that, Quotas had to take action with their two flights QF nine, which is Perth to London Heathrow had to be diverted to Singapore. One hundred and ninety nine customers on board passengers fourteen crew as well. QF thirty three is Perth to Paris Charles de Gore Airport. It was first forced to turn around completely and travel back to Perth that two hundred and sixteen passengers on board with fourteen crew. Virgin Australia's just released a statement and Virgin says now just bear in mind they are now in partnership with Katar. Virgin Australia's scheduled services to Doha operated by Qatar Airways are expected to operate today with delays following the reopening of Qatar airspace. These services are operated for guests traveling to Doha only, with more than twenty five thousand impacted passengers currently in Doha. The immediate priority is clearing the significant backlog of these passengers and flying them to their final destination. Now, Virgin says we're offering free booking changes or cancelations to guests who are booked on Virgin Australia's Doha services with onward connections in the coming days and up until and including the thirtieth of June. So if you do have a Virgin flight booked via Katar and you don't want to fly anymore up until the end of this month. You can cancel it. You need to contact Virgin Australia's guest contact center. Their number is thirteen sixty seven eighty nine. Flight VA one did take off from Sydney this afternoon just after three o'clock, was about twenty past three. We saw some vision courtesy of nine of that plane actually taking off from Kingsford Smith So the airspace is now open. Obviously, the airlines around the world and the Authority is becoming a very close site on exactly what's occurring. Well, Daniel Mookie is the man who controls our money at a state level, the State Treasurer. Today he's handed down his third budget. He's presented a deficit for this financial year of five point seven billion dollars. So we're in the red five point seven billion dollars this financial year. It isn't improved since twenty twenty three to twenty twenty four of five billion, so there was a deficit of more than ten billion. But remember those late years of the former coalition government. This isn't a defense of the Coalition, but I think it's important to note that that was coming off the back of COVID, where all governments of every political persuasion around the world had to spend unprecedented amounts of money. But the reality is we are now facing years of deficit as a hangover of that, let alone debt based on what the budget papers say, there is a forecast for a budget surplus of one point one billion dollars in twenty twenty seven twenty twenty eight, so it's a few years away and that's that's simply a forecast that's not locked in. What's also important is the state of our debt. So New South Wales government debt by June twenty twenty six will be one hundred and seventy eight point eight billion dollars. Now, that will be an improvement of nine point four billion compared with the twenty twenty three pre election budget when they did forecast one hundred and eighty eight So what do's actually mean, Well, what Daniel Mookie is saying is what that means. And it's not great that we have so much debt, but it's a reality of the way governments have been run lately. We will save, according to Daniel Mookie, four hundred million dollars every year in interest payments. Now that's a good thing, and interest rates are coming down as well, so that should mean there is four hundred million dollars to the government to spend on other things. They will be spending more money on housing. They have released what they say is an Australian First Plan. This is a what they're calling their pre Sale Finance Guarantee. It's where the government will guarantee resident central pre sales for up to a billion dollars worth of housing projects five to fifty million dollars in a pre sale guarantee. The state is going to go guarrant taur for fifty percent of approved housing projects. So it's a means of encouraging big developers and developers of home unit buildings to take the risk and have more security in being able to apply for loans through a bank because they're going to have the government guarrant tour. So if, for instance, they don't sell all the apartments, there'll then be a mechanism for the government themselves to buy some of those apartments and then the government can resell them or the government could use them for social housing and rent them out. Tom Forrest is the chief executive of the Urban Task Force and joints us Get a tom, what do you think of this plan?
Speaker 16: It's really it's a really big surprise and it's a positive surprise that's come out of the budget today. One of the big constraints has been difficulty is associated with securing pre sale off the plan, off the plan purchase commitment from buyers, with uncertainty associated with interest rates, with concerns associated with making such a big commitment. This is the common This is the state government coming in and backing what the Colon Wharf have done.
Speaker 7: Taking a similar approach.
Speaker 16: The Colon Wolf backed the buyer by underwriting their deposits for first home buyers.
Speaker 1: The State government.
Speaker 16: Has backed the supply of housing by doing effectively the same thing, underwriting the developer and the builders who are building the supply.
Speaker 7: So you've got the Colon Worth supporting the buyer.
Speaker 16: The State government supported in the seller. Both of those things together make for a more positive environment for housing supply and that's what we need.
Speaker 2: The state government has done a fair bit with changing planning laws and putting more pressure on local councils to approve developments fast, but not all it's actually happened in terms of boosting housing numbers. Do you think this is going to what's make the change?
Speaker 7: This is going to make a big difference.
Speaker 1: Clinton.
Speaker 16: It's been a real problem that we've had where where interest rates have been starting to come off now, but still when you're a developer, the sort of the sort of interest rates that you're being charged somewhere between eight and thirteen percent, sometimes even higher from non bank lenders. And one of the things the banks who charge the lesser the lesser end of that range, what they requires is lots of pre sale, pre sale sign offs from purchases, so you've got your off the plan purchases and they've all been signed off. What this does is it steps in and rather than having to have sixty percent of your entire development pre sold via off the plan purchases, you might only have to get ten or fifteen percent and the rest will you're covered by this guarantee. That's that means you can get the cheaper interest rates, which flows on then the cheaper house price sales at the end of construction.
Speaker 7: News for everyone.
Speaker 2: Involved, hopefully works. Thanks for your time to thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 7: Glyndon.
Speaker 2: Tom Forres is the chief executive of the Urban Task force. There'll be a lot of analysis needed for this particular policy, and the opposition says there are holes in it already. At least it's something creative. At least it's going thinking a little bit outside the box. Now, what's happening on our roads. I told you at the start of the program about the future of the sixty dollars toll cap. This budget confirms that it will not continue beyond the end of this year. There is no funding in it for next year, but there is obviously a fair bit of capital expenditure for roads. Seven and a half billion dollars will be spent. Hopefully that's going to fix some potholes. Peter Kouris from the NROMA, are you happy with this plan?
Speaker 1: Well, seven and a.
Speaker 15: Half billion, good afternoon, isn't as high as nine point one billion, which is what it was last year. So we've actually seen a fall in road funding this year. And I mean seven and a half billion can fix a lot of potholes. But what we also know is there's a huge between what councils are getting to maintain our roads to a safe standard and what they need. And unfortunately all of this is happening at the same time that the road tile is going up already one hundred and seventy nine depths this year. That's twenty six more than the same time last year.
Speaker 9: And so.
Speaker 15: What we want to be doing is investing in our road infrastructure, and we have seen is a drop this year.
Speaker 2: So there has been a drop, but I do know you've pointed out there's going to be an increase in the amount generated through traffic fines.
Speaker 15: Yeah, so traffic fines will go up about nine percent this year on last year, and then it will go up again next year. Slide increase next year based on the government's own forecasting, though obviously we're going to be looking at that really closely because there'll be more cameras rolled out in that time. We also know that their cameras catching people not wearing seat belts, which is very important. People should be wearing seatbelts. But all of that means that the revenue final will be go up, will be going up, and it also means that we'll be spending more on tolls over the next few years as well. In fact, a significant increase in collect money collected from tolls. That the government run.
Speaker 2: The toll collection so that it'd be the Harbard Tunnel. That'll also be that the bridge will go out from one hundred and fifty nine million back in twenty five twenty six, so this financial year to two hundred and eighty three million by twenty eight twenty nine. As I was mentioning Peter that the sixty dollars toll cap and this has been foreshadow but this is confirmation it's going to come to an end at the end of this calendar year. There is no money in the budget next year, but there's also no detail of what the planned toll reform is going to be. The government's going to need to come out and say something on this quite soon.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 15: So look, the rebate was you know, we welcome that, and I know that there's still one hundred and something million dollars left to be claimed. So if you've got access to that, it's really easy to claim. So please go and claim the money back because you've spent it and it's yours and get it back. So that's the first thing. The second thing is we're not surprised that there wasn't longevity in that approach, which what we wanted to see, however, is as you said, there's been a long time coming, this Toile review and the reforms into the tolling system in New South Wales. Then I may play a big part in that. We did our submissions. We're part of the community consultation processes. We've been meeting with government.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 15: I think it's more important that we land that because if we do that, if we can come out of this with a fair and more equitable system, and we believe at the end I made the way to do that is to have consistent tolling.
Speaker 9: Right across the network.
Speaker 15: So if you're using tolls, you're paying the same amount per kilometer, no matter where you are, who you are, where you live, what suburb you foment, and what you're driving on. So we think that's the way forward. You do that, and I think that provides transpariency and fairness in the system. Our members will use tole roads if they feel like they're getting value for money to get some home quicker. We don't have a problem with toll roads. We need them to reduce congestion. But what this system was meant to do, what this review was meant to do, was get us to a place of fairness and equity. It has been going on for a long time now we need solution.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, thank you, Peter. Peter Couri from the NRMA other major plank of the budget, there's a lot of detail that needs to be analyzed in this is a one point two billion dollar foot child protection package. What this is going to do is fill two hundred vacant positions in the child protection area. It's going to encourage more families to become foster parents. It's going to give a pay rise to twenty one hundred and twenty six case workers. But this is what it's going to We're told prevent kids living in motels. So when children are in need of foster care and when they're between families, and these are kids who who don't have parents. These are kids whose parents are in jail, These are kids whose parents have abused them sadly in the past. These are children who've been living in hotels and motels unaccredited accommodation. Just a couple of years ago, twenty twenty three, one hundred we're living in motels. This funding is designed to prevent that. It's nineteen past four, twenty three past four New Zealand Foreign Minister, the very colorful he's been around for a long time. Now Winston Peters has signaled the country is going to crack down on migration. He says we do not need more uber drivers or chefs, as if we're going to eat our way to wealth like Hansel and Gretel. He's the leader of the New Zealand First Party, but he's in coalition with the now Conservative government. He says the country must prioritize migration for the benefit of New Zealanders. He says, we have the most irresponsible immigration system. We need to bring people in to help New Zealand, not those that need us. We do not need more uber drivers or chefs, as if we're going to eat our way to wealth like Hansel and Gretel. There has been a drop in immigration numbers up year on year because sweeping these reforms have actually been introduced over the ditch. Sitting now on to Gie eight seven three is our number. On the issue of toll roads, John, how do you cope with toll roads?
Speaker 17: Well, I'd like what Peter said. You know, people could be used toll roads, you know, if they're getting value for money. Pentirely go on the northern beaches and we haven't got an option. We're going to be told on the bridge now both ways and we.
Speaker 7: Haven't got an option. We've got to pay a toll, you know, and that.
Speaker 2: Hasn't been confirmed by the state government yet, but it will happen. There will be a toll in both directions of the bridge.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but we don't have an option, correct, No, So so how's that fair?
Speaker 2: Yeah, good point. Well, the way the system will probably change, it'll be towards more of a distance based user pays system, but it will have some caveas because the government doesn't want people who live in the far western suburbs to be paying distance based. It'll be a sliding scale. But what we need, we need the detail of what this is going to be because time is now running out. Labour came to power in twenty twenty three promising to do something about tolls, so they gave us the sixty dollars toll cap that this budget released today confirms the toll cap ends this year. There is no funding for next year whatsoever, so it can't continue. Talking about electric vehicles and we were speaking about the fact that a lot of Australians are still dubious because of battery life from one of our listeners on the text line, I've got the latest gts V eight Commodore, one of the last ones, so I'll never buy electric car. The car will be left to my son when I pass on. Dave says, my favorite driver is an HQV eight Premiere. See me in another twenty years with the byds and the Testlas have been replaced three times and the HQ just keeps on keep being on. Good on your Dave, Now, Rod's good a question here, he says, Look, I wouldn't go near an eight or nine year old v EV because it's going to be more expensive to ensure. Comprehensive insurance is more expensive for EV says, there's no question about that. Now Comprehensive insurance for every vehicle has gone up. I know because I paid mine on Saturday. It doesn't matter what you're driving at the moment. You're paying through the roof for comprehensive insurance. But it is more for evs. Chris says, why are you asking the NRMA about RHADS. Well, for very good reason That NRMA stands for the National Roads and Motoris Association, so there when it comes to representing the interest of drivers, that's what they're Therefore, Chris says, why not ask them about reducing insurance premiums rather than ripping off Australians. Well, Chris, I should point out the NRMA, the Roads and Motors Association, is actually completely different to NRMA Insurance. They use the same branding. NRMA Insurance is a company known as IAG Insurance Australia Group and they own a lot of the brands that offer insurance. Nmay, who we just spoke to there, Peter Courri is not NRMA Insurance, two completely different companies. You can send me text messages zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. Gary says, I think the New South Wales labor government are getting away with broken pole promises like tolls, because Chris Means is a good bloke. I think it is all smoke and mirrors. They haven't broken the promise yet, but unless they announce a plan this year that will start on January one, they will have because as of January one, the toll CAP's gone and as things stand at the Roment there's no change to tolls. So the negotiations are going on. We understand right now with Transurban, but Transurban's under no obligation to accept less revenue less money. So there's a lot of pressure on the government through John Graham, who's still handling this even though he's not the roads mister anymore, to get this right. Let's check out news headlines and with all the latest God authnon Katie Puller.
Speaker 10: Good afternoon, Clinton. Thousands of passengers are still stranded around the world following the closure of airspace in the Middle East. Cut Our Airways has resumed operating services, but the airline is only taking passengers heading directly to Doha due to a significant backlog at the airport. This state budget is forecast to return to surplus in three years. Treasurer Daniel Bookie says the state is already back in a cash surplus, meaning we don't have to borrow for day to day expenses. The judge presiding over Aaron Patterson's triple murder trial has instructed the jury not to let sympathy for her alleged victims' families cloud their judgment. Christopher Bill also directed members to not let the unprecedented media attention surrounding the case influence them, and a person's education level could indicate their life expectancy. Wannash University researchers have found men and women who completed a degree, I'm more likely to live longer than those who finished school in year eleven or below. In sport. In cricket, Josh English is still waiting to find out where he'll bat in Australia's lineup, just two days out from the first Test against the West Indies in Barbados, Clinton More News at five.
Speaker 2: Kcating nineteen degrees in the coast. It's eighteen degrees in Terry Hills one three one eight seven three. Where's you've come across a traffic drama? What have you seen?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Mate, just on the corner of Green Valley Road and Cow Pasture Road out at lone. I want to read you call that hitch your brook Yep, there's a semi trailer break broken down outside the Shell station on the southbound lanes.
Speaker 9: He's scores an O.
Speaker 4: He's caused it a bit of a traffe jam. He's right in the sen lane. Cars are diving around.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and it's a.
Speaker 4: Traffic jam anyway right down the other end. I just come up from West Sumpton and it's banked all the way right through virtually through to.
Speaker 9: Off the park.
Speaker 4: Mate, it's just a bank up a mile.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, hopefully they can move that truck quickly, but sometimes when those big trucks break down, it takes a while to get the cruise out there. So called a green Valley cow pass roads southbound and that's in the Hinchenbrug area. Thanks letting us know about that wezne scam.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 2: Also in the budget there is a forty million dollar allocation for the Metro. I repeat forty million dollars. It's not going to get you much when it comes to metro lines. What this money is for. It's to develop a business case for a potential future metro rail line between Talowong and Saint Mary's. So why would a metro be important between Talowang and Sat Mary's Because there will an airport metro between the new Western Sydney Airport the Western Sydney National Airport. We hosted the show from there a couple of weeks ago and Samari's train station. But Sameri's train station is the old fashioned heavy rail, so really what's needed is metro that takes you all the way to the new airport. To do that they need to link Talolong to Saint Mary's and again there's no money for it. But in the budget, well, there is an allocation of forty million doors to put together a business plan.
Speaker 1: Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard.
Speaker 5: If it's happening and you're sitting you'll hear it on Sydney Now to.
Speaker 2: Gb we have been reporting in depth about the ongoing situation in the Middle East and as things stand at the moment, both Israel and Iran have agreed to the ceasefire. Donald Trump has issued a statement in the past hour saying, please do not break the ceasefire. Actually I don't think you use the word please. But the tensions in the Middle East aren't going to disappear quickly. This is a reality of the Middle East and we've experienced our whole lives. Now it's going to affect oil prices. And we spoke yesterday about making sure you fill up your pet car now, and I did that last night. I got petrol well I US ninety eight, So it was a dollar radiator leader. But how's it going to affect other investments? How's it going to affect the share market? How's it going to affect the residential property market, and given that sixty percent of all Australia's wealth is tied up in residential property, it's an important question to ask. I wanted to check with our sponsors Freedom Property Investors and Scott Kuu, friend of the program, joins BGIDE Scott lincin Gooday with what's happening in the Middle East of the moment. Do you think this is going to have an impact on property prices?
Speaker 18: Yeah, I could very say.
Speaker 7: What's going on.
Speaker 18: Prayers for all the people there in terms of ours and property prices. Look, it's all about oil and our biggest trading partner, China, is getting oil from there, so there can be some shocks there if the oil supply is affected. Here's the thing though, whether it's affected or not affected, interest rates are going to drive our economy here. So if we do see some shocks in the global economy, if we see some shocks in terms of China and the trade there, we can always lower our interest rates a bit quicker than probably what the IBA would have originally planned. So that's one big lever. The other thing, we've still got this systemic structural supply and demand problem. Now we are hearing news about elbow and the government, you know, reducing immigration and all of this, but that is not a reduction in permanent migration or permanent population growth. So we're still going to have that. But the biggest problem we haven't overcome, and post election we're not really talking about it, is the supply constraints that's actually getting worse, not better. The rental crisis is still ongoing. That has not been solved. So when I look at interest rates, Yep, things happen overseas, things go wrong. We can adjust those interest rates that will protect the economy. We've still got a population issue, We've still got a supply issue, so property prices will continue to grow.
Speaker 2: What do you think about the outlook for the next twelve months, eighteen months?
Speaker 18: Look, I think nationally we're probably looking at somewhere between six to nine percent growth, depending on what capital city you're in. But look, we've now got a capital city median house price.
Speaker 7: Believe it or not.
Speaker 18: Clinton, when we grew up in the nineties, you never would have believed it that the median house price now is a million dollars across all capital cities.
Speaker 2: All the whole country.
Speaker 7: It's nuts.
Speaker 18: Who would have fought.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so.
Speaker 18: Look we're going to see six to nine percent growth depending on what capital city. The key city investors should be looking at right now is Melbourne. Melbourne has had pretty much no growth since twenty twenty two. Purpose taken off, Brisbane has taken off, Adelaide has taken off, gone through the charts. Melbourne has had no growth. So the next area to pop will be Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Okay, Melbourne, not Sydney. Melbourne. If people want to think about investing now, and you are proud sponsors of our program, is now a good time? With all the uncertain it's around, not quite knowing when the interest rate's going to be cut again, is now a good time to think about it?
Speaker 18: It's probably the best time ever. And the reason I say that is a lot of things are actually happening and don't have time to unpack it right now. There's a lot of things happening in Australia's favor, so we are well positioned for the next five, ten to fifteen years. But if you look at the population growth, the wealth of our country, our natural resources, all the growth still going around the world, I know there's a lot of doom and gloom in the media, but we are well positioned. We're cushioned against all of these shocks going on around the world. We've still got a strong partnership with the US. Our local economy is great. Ossie's are great, We're working hard, business is great, unemployment's low, and we've got a shortage of property. No matter what happens with AI and technology and all of this, we're always going to need somewhere to live, and our cremation is growing.
Speaker 7: True.
Speaker 2: Yep, good on your Scott, Thanks for joining us today. Cheers mate, Scott Kuru who's from Freedom Property Investors and are sponsors of our program. But I wanted to talk to Scott given what's been unfolding the Middle East over the past week and whether it's going to have an impact. It's certainly going to have an impact economically on it, but does it have an impact on property investment. It's twenty five, It's seventeen to five. Don't forget. I'm still to spin Twogb's winter wheel. It is coming. Don't call yet. And yes, we did give away fifteen hundred dollars yesterday. We've got a knack in giving away a lot of money on this prag I've got some great prices as well, so don't call yet. Keep listening before I spin Twogb's Winter.
Speaker 1: Wheel on Sydney. Now you can't handle the true the straight shot?
Speaker 2: How straight shrao to this afternoon? Is the outgoing liberal center that Holly Hughes and I wanted to get Holly in studio today because this is her last time on the station as a politician, well for now, so you know, to know.
Speaker 19: I'm thinking this is when the last time as a politician.
Speaker 2: So it's formally your Senate term is going to come to an end at the end of this week next week a Monday, Jean, how do you feel? How do you feel about that?
Speaker 19: Look, I'm actually really looking forward to it. It's been a difficult time in the sense that I knew I was leaving for a good sort of thirteen months, so it's given me plenty of time to have a think about what's next. I still don't one hundred percent know, but it certainly give me plenty of time to get ready for it. So it's amazing when you start to see the big blue sky and then you experience a little bit of the Canberra winter and realize you're not having to go back to that, you start to see the upshot, and then couple that with the election result. I think I may have dodged.
Speaker 2: A bullet quite potentially. What I certainly admired in you after the election result, and perhaps it was easy for you to do this was you were very much and you really always have been on this. But you're very much willing to speak your mind. You're public about why the election, but you're very public about why the campaign failed.
Speaker 20: Yeah.
Speaker 19: Well, and I think you've got to be honest with people, and I think that's really important and it's probably important more politicians do do that. I mean, it's extraordinary the people that I know and like how they have a very rigid persona in the media, but they're actually really quite good fun if you go out for dinner with them, and can be quite entertaining. And I think too many people think as a politician being serious means you have to come across as boring or dar and I don't think that's the case.
Speaker 2: Both sides of politics. In your experience, who was the most fun politician to go out to dinner.
Speaker 19: With, without a doubt, Milton Dick, the Speaker. We have been really close mate since two thousand and four we did a young political leader's trip to the US and we bonded on that trip. It was actually straight after Latham lost the Medicare Gold election and we were over there for the US presidential election of George W. Bush and John Kerry and became great mates. And he is still one of the most fun people in my life, full stop, end of story. So certainly we'll be looking forward to some more long dinners with him.
Speaker 2: Is Alba fun?
Speaker 21: Do you know?
Speaker 19: I don't know him very well. I never saw that side of you, never saw that. I really only met him a couple of times, and neither time was I particularly enamored. Neither time did I think he was particularly warm, And I certainly didn't see a fun side. But you know, then again, maybe that's not for me to see.
Speaker 2: Is it hard for a career politician, and let's be honest, Albo's a career politician. Is it hard for a career politician to be and show the qualities of a real person.
Speaker 19: Well, some of them, I'm not sure still maintain those qualities. They've kept them hidden for so long. I think they've almost forgotten what being a real person is about and whether Elbow has done that or not, that'll be a matter for him. But I think he's been in the game for so long the ability to turn it off, you know, may not be there anymore. But look, I think more people need to be authentic, They need to be their real selves because for every one of your listeners sitting in their car driving home, cost of living pressures are still so very, very real for many families at the moment. We need to be honest and you know, politicians experience the same sorts of challenges that everybody else faces, and sometimes more in a different way. You know, I've had to juggle being away for you know, a lot of time each year with three children that we're going through school. So you know, it does come with a price. It's a price that we're prepared to pay. But our families at the end of the day are conscripts and we need to be mindful of that.
Speaker 2: You see. I think there's a real desire and maybe this is just the way that because we've been exposed out a reality TV and social media, there's more desire than ever for the voters to see the reality in politicians what they actually really like. Yeah, but politicians themselves, more than ever don't want to take any risk now. And I guess that's because you can easily be exposed on social media.
Speaker 19: Well, and I think it's a twenty four to seven media cycle. I mean, you know yourself, Clinton and your producers, what are you going to talk about? What's happening today? There's a constant for the news. You're constantly under scrutiny, and it's not necessarily accepting of politicians being human. There almost seems to be a thought that they're able to operate at a level other than that, and that's just not the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The developing story this afternoon is the ceasefire in the Middle East, and Donald Trump has issued a social media statement on his own Truth social service and it reads, in capital letters, the ceasefire is now in effect. Please do not violate it now. I can see you're wearing a lapel pin which features and flag of Israel and a flag of Australia. How do you think the next twenty four hours are going to proceed.
Speaker 19: I think it's really important that this ceasefire hold. I think what Trump did was extraordinary. I think it's peace via strength. You're going to hear that term, I think a lot. But what Israel has done and now with the US coming in, I think there's a potential change across the Middle East landscape. And we know that Iran has been the head of the snake. It's funding the hoodies, it's funding has Belah, it's been funding Hamas and so by the weakening of Iran, everybody agrees. I mean even Albanesi and Woe could manage to bring up themselves to say Iran can't have nuclear weapons. Hopefully, this is what we see is a reshaping of the Middle East, a Middle East that's more driven by the Abraham Accords, where we see peace across Saudi's, the UAE and a lot of the other Middle Eastern countries with Israel. And this an end to the calling for the destruction of Israel, which was being driven primarily by Iran and its proxies.
Speaker 2: The Prime Minister has spoken again today and he spoke yesterday. But did you take you more than twenty four hours to actually publicly comment The statement was released on the weekend, but that state was not attributed to anyone or even in office. Did it take him too long?
Speaker 19: Yeah, Look, it was appalling and I mean the fact they put out this limp wristed commentary from Tanya Plipasek and then Pennywong and out to the Albaniezi would know where to be seen. Think what, we're not a key player when it comes to the negotiation wards in Iran, Israel and the US. But what we are is a longtime ally and friend of the United States. And I think this in action is constantcyting on the fence that Albini has been so weak when it comes to his support for Israel, let alone everything coupled up with Trump. I think that in action, that lack of response is going to be echoing very loudly through the halls of Washington. And that's where I think it's important.
Speaker 2: What do you think that drives this? Because before the election there was the line that labor politicians were sitting on the fence and some of these issues because they were so worried about the various independent Muslim groups that would run in Sydney's West. They don't have to worry that anymore. They've got a thumping majority. Is this just to the core of the PM that when he was a young radical running around the university yard. This was his belief that he.
Speaker 19: Was and that's what I think sometimes when you look at the way they're conducting themselves, it is like university politics, city is still embracing these old left wing causes that I don't think in any way the same shape or form that they were when he was at university. Now, I could get in trouble with this. I'm going to say about forty years ago. It probably around you know, forty years ago, and you know, things have changed and moved on. But I'm not quite sure that old socialist left wing that they can ever really let go of those old hatreds, reds under the bed, you know, all of those old things that were floating around. I think they probably still still have a little bit of a red center.
Speaker 2: Now, just on mister Alban easy news has broken today that the Prime Minister, and the Prime Minister is the one who decides this, has told the Opposition it will need to cut twenty staffing roles, sixteen senior advisor positions will go within the coalition and it is that's a decision for the PM. From your experience of working as a senior member of the coalition, is that too harsh?
Speaker 19: I think it's vindictive. I think it's nasty. I actually think it's it's almost transparent in his unwillingness to have a strong opposition that's able to call the government out to account staff as salaries, particularly staff is in Sydney. You got to remember politicians and staff federally get paid exactly the same if you live in Lonceston or if you live in Sydney. There's no scale of travel allowance things.
Speaker 2: Sorry, is there a travel allowance for them?
Speaker 19: There is a travel allowance for them when they go to camp or when they travel, but their salaries for their experience don't often reflect what they could be earning in the corporate sector. So a lot of these staff do it out of a sense of public duty, in a sense of serving a government or an opposition to make the country better. And by having to cut so many senior staff, it'll be interesting whether or not many of them will be able to afford to stay, because it will mean and a lot of these people have families themselves.
Speaker 2: And that is actually going to affect the way government operates. Well, that's going the way parliament operates.
Speaker 19: It affects everything, and a good government relies on a strong and effective opposition and that's just the reality.
Speaker 2: And if you don't have the staff, you don't have the people to actually research issues. And then on the flip side, ministers and government in peace they have access not just to their personal stuff, they have access to the public service, the.
Speaker 19: Entire departments at their beck and call, and the opposition has nowhere near the resources.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 19: One of the things that I was very vocal about, and we have done a handover to the incoming Shadow Minister for Mental Health and Suicide Prevention, Zoe McKenzie. We had seven policies that we had written, that we had had costed, that we'd put together that disappeared into the policy vortex in the previous opposition. So we've handed those over and I would hope that every single shadow minister within the opposition is going to whomever used to be the shadow in that area, because a lot of people have claimed the same. I actually meant to bring them with me because I could show you the seven bits of documents that I have, the cluster of documents on each of those policies. But every single shadow minister who didn't get policies through that didn't get feedback on them that disappeared into this vortex. They really need to be passing those on to make sure that hopefully we did an awful lot of work. So hopefully with reduce staff, they've got a lot of work already done.
Speaker 2: I'm always out of time. But you mentioned you weren't sure what's next in your career. I think I found something used today that a woman has quit her corporate lifestyle, her corporate grind, to live on a cruise ship full time and she's paying about three hundred dollars a week.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: It's some sort of a cruise ship that features a lot of gambling on board, but she's our manager for about three hundred dolls a week. Would you consider living on a cruise ship?
Speaker 19: I got to say, no, it doesn't really.
Speaker 2: Sorry to use this people people would have these days.
Speaker 19: Yeah, look, I don't know. It's one way to get away from the kids. I suppose you know, if you're on the other side of the world, they can't just pop over. It gets you out of babysitting and school pickups. But yeah, I don't know. But that love boat just my mum, God rest her soul. But when I was little she used to let me stay up to watch the Love Boat with her, so that brings back lots and lots of memories.
Speaker 2: I've never been on a cruise. I'm going on a very short three day one.
Speaker 19: I've never been on one either.
Speaker 2: Two weeks time love. Yeah, I'm a little bit worried. Hey Holly, Thanks, Thanks Gleanton. We'll talk again soon straight shoot, Holy Years.
Speaker 1: This Sydney now with Clinton Maynor on to.
Speaker 2: GB seven past five. Great, have your company this Tuesday evening one three one eight seven three is my number. Don't call yet, but just listen out. We are going to spin the wheel shortly now. I brought you the story a little earlier that there will be an extraordinary meeting of Medical Staff Council on Thursday evening the Medical Staff Council of Westmead Hospital. Things have become so dire at Westmeat Hospital that specialists have called this meeting for a vote of no confidence in the Chief executive. Now, yesterday in the program, we spoke about the neonatal unit and there were reports that babies were being treated in storerooms, that babies were being treated in corridors. And I spoke to my contacts within the government. They said, no, that's not the case, but they conceded that there were resources issues at Westmead Hospital and Ryan Park. The Health Minister has made a vow that he will visit Westmead to meet with those midwives, nurses and the executive of the hospital this week. Well, based on the information that's come to me, and this has come from a senior gastro enterologist, so a specialist, an extraordinary meeting a medical staff has been called for Thursday five point thirty a vote of no confidence in the chief executive. If you've got your top doctors and the top specialists in a hospital who don't want the boss to stay in that position, very hard to remain in that position. Well, we now have a statement, a formal statement from the Western Sydney Local Health District and they say Western Sydney Local Health District management have not been advised of a meeting of the Westmead Medical Staff Council or topics for discussion. Western Sydney Local Health Death Strict sincerely apologizes to patients who've been impacted by delays to access care provided by Westmead Hospital's gastro Andoology department and it is a gastro enterroologist who's raised these concerns today. During an initial assessment of the hospital's outpatient service, it was identified that there were significant number of overdue appointments that required assessment. An independent senior commission has reviewed identities of patients underway to prioritize outpatient appointments. Patients will be contacted and provided with an update to confirm their appointment. So this is just one part of the hospital. But obviously there is such concern within Westmead Hospital at the moment that gastro enterologists and other senior physicians other specialists have called this meeting for Thursday night. And I'm probably not surprised that the Western Sydney Local Area Health District management has not been advised because they're probably not invited because it's going to be a vote against the way they're managing their hospital.
Speaker 1: Be a part of Sydney. Now with Clinton Maynard called one three one.
Speaker 2: Eight, the state budget has been handed down today by the Treasurer Daniel Mookie. Now a core part of the budget is housing and quite an out of the box plan that will see the government act as a guarranteur for major projects. Now not every major project. These will be big residential unit developments for instance, And what the government has found is that there is some apprehension for developers to go ahead and seek finance and develop property because they're concerned about their return. They're concern they won't get the finance take on that risk. So what the government is going to do with this is a billion dollar plan. They will provide guarantees and if, for instance, units don't sell off the plan, the government may actually step in to actually purchase some of those units and then use them for social housing down the track. This is the treasure of Daniel Mookie.
Speaker 22: Telling the people in New South Wales that a housing crisis that took decades to develop will take time to solve. But each budget we're making progress on why people feel like they're under such pressure.
Speaker 2: But the Opposition leader Mark Speakman has also spoken about this now and he says he can see holes in the plan.
Speaker 20: Who are the winners and who are the losers? Who gets to choose the winners and losers? What are the protections against any corruption risk? And at the end of the day, it's a very very modest proposal.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that's one aspect of the budget and more needs to be known about the details of how this guarantee plan is going to work. There is two point six billion dollars in funding for schools. That's down slightly from last year, as we heard from the NRIMA. Funding for Rhodes is still more than eight billion dollars, but it was more than nine billion dollars last year, so there is a reduction in and this is for capital works projects. There is a reduction there. There's a one point two billion dollar child protection package, and this is important. This is going to fund pay rises for case workers, but also fill two hundred vacant positions, so kids who have parents who can't look after their own children, kids whose parents are in jail who should be in foster care and they can't find foster pearance for them. Kids have ended up being looked after by caseworkers in motels. This is a plan to stop that happening, so they're not held in a motel room, which is quite astonishing to think that's actually been happening in recent times. That's a one point two billion dollar package. A key part of the budget is spending on health. It's the biggest part of spending effectively is on our health system. The President of the New South Wales AMA is doctor Catherine Austen. Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 14: Doctor, Thanks very much, Clenta, nice to talk.
Speaker 2: Are you happy with what's been announced in the health area today?
Speaker 6: Look?
Speaker 14: Unfortunately, no, Unfortunately, this healthcare budget really hasn't set any plan or direction for the future of health care and we really think that the patience of New South Wales deserve better.
Speaker 2: What's the main problem here?
Speaker 14: Look, one of the biggest challenges is that a large number of the announcements have really looked at big spends on infrastructure. One of the big problems about infrastructure is that infrastructure doesn't look after patients. And we know that what we really needed was an investment into the workforce, so our frontline doctors, nurses, allied healthcare staff that actually deliver that care to patients. And I think we just haven't seen that real investment in our workforce in any meaningful way.
Speaker 2: This budget doesn't address the issues for instance, and I know you're with the AMA, you're representing doctors not nurses, but it doesn't address the nurses pay issue. It doesn't address the issue with psychiatrists either.
Speaker 14: No, And unfortunately, out of all of this Obviously industrial relations is one complexity of this, but I think what we're seeing is that we know there are more and more acutely unwell patients and they've got increasingly complex health care needs, and the funding component to this just addressed it as part of workforce, but also we need to look at things like the complexities within the system being driven and led by doctors who can actually tell our patients when and how they need that surgery done, and we need that investment to be able to then perform the surgeries, look after the elective surgical waiting list so that there aren't more and more people increasing We've seen one hundred thousand patients waiting for elective surgery, which was close to the record during the pandemics when elective surgery was canceled, and more than that. You know, these people are these are all of us. These are mothers and fathers and neighbors, and all of those people need the surgery to alleviate their pain or regain quality of life or independence. And we know that healthcare is the corners of our son, and we really just need to make sure that is actually proposited.
Speaker 2: Doctor. We've been told today that there will be a vote held on Thursday evening there will be a meeting of the Medical Staff councilor West men Hospital where will be a vote of nokom and it's in the chief executive. Now the local area Health District management's told us that they have not been advised at this particular meeting or what's going to be discussed. What's your information on this one?
Speaker 14: Yeah, Look, we know that unfortunately these struggles that are really reflected in the budget from our healthcare staff, so our doctors in this setting, but also nurses and our light health staff are increasingly frustrated that we're seeing the complexity of our patients rising, We're seeing that there needs to be that investment in how to deliver these services, and the frontline people who then need to deliver these services are really not being heard at the higher levels of the hospitals. And unfortunately, in this case with Westmead, we believe that the chief executive that they have the vote of no confidence. But again we know that despite increasingly calling for improvements in these areas, they're just simply not being addressed. After years and years of correspondence and.
Speaker 2: It's been going and it's been happening under both levels of government. Thank you for your time, doctor, Thank you so much for chatting Doctor Catherine Austin, who's the president of the AM New South Wales. So they're not happy what's in the budget in the area of health. Now, yesterday on the program, we spoke to May May owns an arcade in Tarre and she was part of a major rally in Tarre involving three thousand people that was protesting out the lack of government assistance following the floods on the Mid North Coast. There is within the budget a three hundred and fifty eight million dollar allocation for disaster recovery and relief measures directly related to the floods of last month. Now I'm still seeking the actual finer details. My understanding is that's not going to increase the grants from the twenty five thousand which some farmers and primary producers are now able to apply for, to the seventy five thousand that they would have if they were class Category D. But I'll seek some more information. But there is three hundred and fifty eight million dollars in disaster recovery and relief measures in the budget to.
Speaker 1: The genvs the winter wheel.
Speaker 2: Points some money. I have to win some great prizes. I have the wheel next to me. I'm about to spin it, but you need to call me. Okay, We're looking for the fourth caller. One three hundred seven double two eight seven to three. That's the competition line. One three hundred seven double two eight seven to three Your chance to spin two Gib's Winter Wheel. We have up to forty thousand dollars worth of cash and prizes to be won. The Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netnya, who is now formally agreed and confirmed that he has agreed to the ceasefire with Iran in coordination with US President Donald Trump. He says he reported to Israel's security cabinet on Monday night that Israel had achieved all of its war goals in the twelve day operation against Iran, including removing the threat of their nuclear and ballistic missile programs. Israel also damaged Iran's military leadership and several government sites, and achieved control over Tehran's skies. Netna Who says he says Israeli respond forcefully to any violation of the ceasefire.
Speaker 1: Two GBS Winter a Wheel.
Speaker 2: Let's Spin, Let's see if we can give away some great prizes and cash this afternoon and let's find a winner. Hello, Wayne hikes Clinton. Here you go, mate, man, I'm fantastic, but I reckon you're going to be even better in a moment.
Speaker 7: I hope, sir.
Speaker 2: I've got a wheel next to me. I'm going to spin it on your behalf. It has the chocolate wheel. No, no, this is this is the spectacular two GB wheel that I think it was developed in nineteen ninety six in the old Sussex Street headquarters. But it's got a little bit of age on it, but it's lovely, very modern prizes. We've got a great price from National Tiles. We've got one thousand dollars. We've got five hundred dollars, we've got seven hundred and fifty dollars. We've got a lot of money on this wheel. I shall spin now, Wayne, thanks mate. I'm going to go. I'm going to go clockwise because it's a lot better clockwise. We had a lot of luck going clockwise. Here we go, one, two, three spin. It's spinning, spinning, spinning, zipping past the seven hundred and fifth dollar mark. It's just gone past one thousand, slowing down, slowing down, it's slowing down. Seven hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 3: Oh mate, thank you, thank you, thank Clinton, Thank you very much.
Speaker 11: Mate.
Speaker 2: Hey Wayne, what does seven hundred and fifty dollars mean to you?
Speaker 9: A lot, a lot of the moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I've got to give it to the wife and happy wife, happy life.
Speaker 2: Tell me about it now, tell me though, will she spend a little bit of it on you? You're not just going to pay a year.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're going to pay some bills, mate, electricity bills thanks to alb mousy.
Speaker 2: What about maybe maybe pay off the electricity bill and hey, seven fifty that's going to cover most of your called electricity bill, lope and then go out to dinner, go out to dinner somewhere.
Speaker 14: Well, yeah, we'll probably do that Clinton, Thanks mate, good.
Speaker 2: On your Wayne. We're going to keep spinning the wheel all week long. So tomorrow morning, Ben Forden in breakfast is going to spin the wheel. Leave in mornings. Very chuffed was our Mark Levy this morning because he gave away two and a half thousand dollars Mick MacMichael McLaren in the afternoon, fragum, and we will spin it again here on Sydney Now tomorrow afternoon. It will be at a different time tomorrow, so you're going to have to listen very closely.
Speaker 5: If it's happening in Sydney, you'll hear it on Sydney Now with Clinton.
Speaker 2: Men on to GB if you'd like to send me a text message zero force zero eight seven three eight seven three. There are new exhilarrated NBN plans coming in September. It can be hard to keep up with all the changes with the way the Internet works and with the upgrades the NBN has been rolling out. But at the end of the day, what do we want? Reliable internet, fast Internet. I just want to check in with our sponsors NBN. Jane McNamara is with the NBN and joins us.
Speaker 23: Hello Jane, good to be with you Clinton.
Speaker 2: It does get a little bit confusing with all the different options there are now and the upgrades that you guys have been rolling out. You have upgraded and you're rolling out full fiber to the premises. What does full fiber to the premises mean?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 23: Look, your listeners will recall that you know, we finished that initial roll out back in twenty nineteen, twenty twentyting every home and business across the country to NBN and to keep pace with that demand that we have on the NBN and our love to be online and need to be online, we've been rolling out upgrades across the country ever since. And nothing beats full fiber. That's fiber optic cable all the way from the street to your front door, so lightning fastbroadband. You can't get more reliable and faster anywhere anywhere in the world. So you know, for one point four million homes and businesses across New South Wales, you know this fiber upgrade, full fiber to the home is now available and we've got these amazing accelerated speeds coming from the fourteenth of September, and we don't want anyone to miss out on the opportunity to get that upgrade.
Speaker 2: In practice, in practice, what does the fiber upgrade actually mean? To join everyday Sydney family.
Speaker 23: So really what it means is we we want our listeners to see to think about the plan that they're currently on, and we know most Australians are on a mid pier plan. And what we know is with all those connected devices that we love to use, about twenty five at the moment, going to grow to more than forty. Usually that mid sized plan, with the number of people in the home all on those devices at the one time this evening, you might notice that it's not performing how you think it should. And that's the perfect sign an increased speed plan. So going up one plan and getting that fib or upgrade is the perfect solution to make sure it's ready for today and you know ten years from now.
Speaker 2: I live in the sutherland Shire and I've been fortunate, we've been connected. We're an angeting. We've been connected to the NBN probably for about five years now, and I must have been I'm on that mid plan. I'm not on the top plane and on the mid plane, but I was reading about somebody who lives not far from me, Robin Kronulla, and they upgraded the top plan that the one hundred megabi per second, and the difference it made to them was significant.
Speaker 23: Absolutely, and you know it was funny.
Speaker 6: I read this story as well, and.
Speaker 23: You know, Rob really noticed that the technology he is on it was part fiber but part copper. And so what we're doing with these upgrades is we're removing that copper. So you've got none of that degrading copper in the mix, making sure that you've got fiber all the way to the home. And it was really simple for Rob. He actually just contacted his phone in internet provider, had a conversation, said what's available for me because this plan's not working anymore for my family, noting noticing buffering and dropouts in the evening, and you know I want better, and you know, the phone in internet providers of course sell the plans to you, me and our listeners. And he was advised that he could get an upgrade to full fiber placing the order going up one of those speed tier plans to the hundred plan, and there's no that triggers the upgrade for free, so you don't pay for the fiber grade. You might have a couple of dollars different in your plan, or maybe not, because you know, there's a lot of competition with one hundred and fifty retail service providers, so you might actually get a better deal and save some dollars by triggering this upgrade. But talking to your phone and internet provider to see if one of these upgrades you know is available to you is absolutely the first.
Speaker 2: Step and Joane just lastly talking about saving dolls. It's into financial year and so many retailers have inter yew financial year sales, and I know a lot of the providers and the resellers of internet services also do.
Speaker 23: Super competitive time. And you know, if you haven't checked your plan in a while.
Speaker 7: Do it.
Speaker 23: Do it now, because we know that the phone and internet providers want your business. You know, talk to them about doing you a deal. They're even bundling some of their services as well, so you might be able to get your NBN, you might be able to get your mobile and some of those streaming services all bundled up for a really competitive price. So you know, do your research, talk to friends and family, talk to your phone and internet provider, and maybe go to some of those independent websites that do all.
Speaker 6: The hard work for you.
Speaker 2: Good on, thank you, Thank you j mcmaarra from the NBN. You can go on to the NBM website and actually just type your addressing and see what's available for you in terms of upgrades. Great things are happening every minute on NBN. To find out more, visit that website. It is NBN dot com dot au. Word on the street for temper on the better night's sleep night after night. The difference is temper. And we brought you this story about Westmead Hospital based on a tip we've had via our Word on the Streets segment, and that is that there will be a vote of no confidence held in the chief executive of Westmeat Hospital on Thursday night. We've also been discussing what's been happening with neonatal care in Westmead and listeners just sent me a text message and I'm not going to identify the listener, but they say I do not work at Westmead Hospital. But I saw with my own eyes today two babies in a storeroom area of the NICU, so the report saying otherwise is incorrect. Now the Midwifi I spoke to yesterday said they are caring for babies in what was certainly known as the store room. Previously therev changed the name of it, so that maybe where the government is saying it's not a storeroom as such, but certainly in the past has been used as a storeroom. Let's check in news headlines, Hey with the latest, Katie Fuller.
Speaker 10: Good afternoon, Clinton. Israel has now formally agreed to the US president's proposal for a ceasefire, with Iran saying it's achieved the objectives of its attacks. Western Sydney's local Health District says it has not been advised about a vote of no confidence in the chief executive of Westmead Hospital. Medical staff are due to meet on Thursday evening amid reports of understaffing and underresourcing in the neonatal care ward. A new scheme guaranteeing pre sale for pre sales for housing developments has been unveiled in the state budget. It's designed to help low to medium level developers secure finance from banks to get projects underway sooner and it's severe weather warning has been issued for damaging winds extending from the South Coast up to the mid North Coast. Pete gusts ab up to one hundred and twenty kilometers an hour are possible in alpine areas in Sport, a double boost for South Sydney in the NRL Star Jo Cody Walker and Cavell Graham have been named to return from injury in Saturday nights clash with the Dolphins. Clinton More News ad SI.
Speaker 2: Spaking Katie eighteen degrees in the city. It's also eighteen degrees in the West. I mentioned little earlier that there is a lady who has quit her corporate career to live on a cruise liner. It's costing her about three hundred dollars a week. It's a good deal somehow she's got. But I've actually come across quite a few people in my travels who effectively live on cruise liners. They spend most of the year on a cruise line. I don't think i'd like that personally. I'm going on my first cruise in about two weeks time. Luke Barner will be fillinging for me for a couple of weeks. It's only a three day cruise. I'm quite apprehensive about it because I've never been on a cruise before. My wife has convinced me to go. Mary says, I think if you're email Mary to gb dot com. Mary says, I would love to live on a cruise liner, wouldn't be able to afford it. And Louise says, I've actually been on ten cruisers in the past five years. From Jay Wiz, you certainly love it, Louise.
Speaker 1: A Finance update.
Speaker 2: Let's get the latest finance news tom story from our Money News program deb Night hosting Money News from seven o'clock tonight. Tello, Tom Halo Clinton.
Speaker 21: I'm not sure if we're going to take that advice on Money News to live on a cruise ship, but it'd certainly want to look into if you want to save a dollar.
Speaker 2: After COVID, when they started operating cruise lines again, one of the big cruise lining companies, I was probably Carnival. A p and O invited the whole bunch of journalists to visit and go on board the first cruise ship that came back through their heads, and I was one of them, and I met this lovely couple who had retired, and they had retired to a life of cruising. They don't live on the one ship, but they go from ship to ship, and they would spend literally ten months out of a twelve month year on a cruise liner.
Speaker 21: Wow, and the cost seems pretty reasonable.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I guess if you're superannuation payout, maybe if you sell your Sydney house you'll be doing okay. Ceasefire in the Middle East it appears to have been good for the markets.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 21: Well, if you're talking about superannuation accounts, they will be reliant on what's happening on the markets, and it was much better news today. The ceasefire saw the oil price drop back under seventy dollars US barrel. I just checked it before it's even going under sixty eight US dollars a barrel.
Speaker 2: The ASX was flying.
Speaker 21: It took its lead off Wall Street overnight, closing up one percent or eighty points higher to eighty five hundred and fifty five. It was financial and material stocks that were doing the best. Their BHP was up two point four percent, forour to SKU was up four point eight percent. Rio Tinto was three percent higher. And the banks were also stronger. Combank up two point one percent, NAB up two point two percent, Westpac two point six percent higher, A and Z also up one point four percent. So a much better day on the markets. And it's all due to that ceasefire.
Speaker 2: So the dollars back over sixty five US cents yees fact, because there's just more confidence in the international economy.
Speaker 21: Yeah, there's strength in the US dollars. So generally what they say is that the Aussie dollar is what you look for when times are good. Investors pile in through it when it looks like things are going to be going well, so if not, they tend to pile back into the US dollar, which makes that a bit stronger. Obviously, yesterday, when things were looking like World War II could be on the brink, we saw investors pile back into the US and that hurt the Aussie dollar.
Speaker 2: Today it's a completely.
Speaker 21: Different story, which saw it push back over sixty five US cents.
Speaker 2: I filled up my car last night because the NMA advised is yesterday to fill it within twenty four hours. Is this Do you think this is going to have an effect on world or processes in a positive way? Yeah.
Speaker 21: Now, the LAG's usually a couple of weeks or a month or so until it comes through. At eighty dollars a barrel, we were looking at an average price across the country of around two dollars a liter for what we pay at the petrol pump, but giving us back down to sixty eight dollars, now that's about what we were two weeks ago. So the prices that we've been seeing in the last month or so, it's probably due to repeat when we look ahead to the next month or so. For motorist, which is great news, not so good if you're an energy investor. Though Woodside share price was down six point five percent today, so it all depends on perspective in the markets.
Speaker 2: The other big market news today is the relisting of Virgin. Virgin a stroke of the airline. Yeah.
Speaker 21: Now Virgin people will remember that it went into voluntary administration due to COVID and Bang Capital. They're a private equity firm. They came in and picked up the pieces and they settled in a three point five billion dollar deal. Now, private equity firms they come in, they restructure companies and they look to sell them off, usually at a better price.
Speaker 2: But the plan for.
Speaker 21: Virgin looked like it was always going to relist on the ax. It opened up today at midday. Now, initially its IPO price was two dollars ninety. Investors looked at that and thought, wow, that's that's a deal we've got to get in on. It eventually closed up more than eleven percent to three dollars twenty three. So it looks like there's a bit more competition in the airline space now, which is something that's good for Australia.
Speaker 2: Will be hosting Money News from seven to two. Will thank you Tom. Tom's story from our Money news program Sitney.
Speaker 1: Now on to GBA.
Speaker 2: I'm getting lots of messages now about cruise lining. Steve says, when you go on the cruise, enjoy the gas. Stro don't sew that cruise, don't say that. Steve Noe Elizabeth says there were lots of people who live on cruise ships full time, mostly Americans, because cruisers can actually be fairly cheap on Sydney.
Speaker 5: Now a weather update will be here to help in unexpected weather. Nrima Insurance a help company look at it.
Speaker 24: Murky earlier today, but so the weather clean uppers up and when it was a quite a nice afternoon in the end, it should remain dry this evening that there is the chance of a shower to right now in the city eighteen degrees eighteen degrees in the west.
Speaker 2: The forecast for tomorrow are partly cloudy day mostly Sunday in the morning, the slight chance of a shower later in the day, with the top of seventeen on Thursday becoming cloudy and sixteen mostly Sunday to start the day, a shower or too on Friday. At this stage across the weekend, it looks like we'll have a few showers.
Speaker 1: You'll want to know what's happening in Sydney.
Speaker 5: Stay tune to Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard on to GMB.
Speaker 2: It is the NRL's teamless Tuesday. Mark Geyer has all the goss on the ins and out. Hello MG, Hello Flinn, how are you my friend? Well? You know what I'm wondering about the Tigers. See, I've been tipping the Tiger throughout the whole year, and maybe that explains why I'm at the bottom the ladder of the TGB tipping comp. I see that they've got They've got a really big out this week.
Speaker 7: Yeah, let's go for the Apps first in would you? Can you believe that? It's around seventeen in the NRL already During Buller, the sensational fullback, has been ruled out for a month with a hamstring tegg or something wrong his hemmy, something really bad with the hammick. That means Young La too Feinu. We'll be starting at number seven this week and number six will be Duram Lay also out Hudson Young He's being arrested. Let's a shark. Can you believe this? He has ruptured, He's spleen and he's also done some kidney damage for that time against the Dolphins in Perth. He still remains in Perth so his family. Yeah, yeah, the poor bike from there. He's a good player too, like him a lot.
Speaker 2: He's got a bad haircut, like I think you need to have a good look at himself in the mirror. But no, he's a good bad haircut, good player.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, we'll agree on that because young Jack boss sock. Also he's out the season with an ACL rupture. Some bad news there, but some good news in the inns department. We see the Panthers' origins five return. We see Burton and Sexter named number six and seven respectively. Lucky Galvin reverts to the inter James bench. Tommy Turbot been named in the centers. That's going to cause a little bit of controversy, I would imagine for the Rabbit as Campbell Graham and Cody Walker both returned and Dylan Brown is back for the ParaMed at eels.
Speaker 2: Okay, good news for parrot. Now big the NURL news today with the P and G franchise.
Speaker 7: Yeah right, dere ex bulldog head Honcho has been named the chair of the P and NRL franchise. He will head the board of seven. One of the board members will be familiar with those who love their rugby league because his name is Marcus buy who is to play a Melbourne Storm legend. He will be one of the board members, along with Laurna McPherson, Richard Pegham, Stanley Joyce, Wapoo Song and Ian Tartuia. So good work for they're starting to be a little bit proactive. We hadn't heard much of the P and G boys lately. We spoke about them on the weekend on the continuous course in Clinton and they are leaning towards the P and G Angels because of the Fuzzy Wise he's back in the day, so I think that's a fantastic thing.
Speaker 2: I don't mind that name as well, Fuzzy Wise the Angels. As Ben was saying this morning, it might sound a bit soft having the Fuzzy in there, but at the Angels, I reckon might work quite well with Ray Dib. So Ray Dib former Bulldog's chair, so he's the champer of the PNG. So does that mean he moves to P and G or just goes over there?
Speaker 1: A fair bit well, we.
Speaker 7: Still don't know much about the whole franchise because we don't know where they're going to be operating out of cans. They're thinking about building a multi purpose inverted Comma's compound for all those players that want to go up there. Well, it's a real safe face apparently to live. You know, obviously, the lure of a good tax break and those guys maybe nearing their end of their career instead of going over sitting with Super League, this might be more attractive to go to the PNG franchise. But yeah, look that's not one thing. They haven't announced their coach yet. They haven't announced much else except for their Their chairman of the board will be Raad Deal.
Speaker 17: Well.
Speaker 7: Just also some breaking news in Rugby League. The Dragons have given young fullback le winger Terrell Sloan permission to look elsewhere as they chase, as they chase. I think sell On Cobbo. But the latest on sell On Cobbo and this is a this is this is all breaking this afternoon. He's out of the favorite with the Broncos. The Broncos have only got about three hdred grand to pay him for an extension, so they've signed his replacement for a two U deal. The Dragons won him before June thirty and are prepared to pay him six hundred thousand per a year. But now the North Quinsland Cowboys have jumped in on the front and they also want selln Cob before June thirty because of their injury plague to their outside back. So stay tuned because the selling Como saga has not finished yet.
Speaker 2: Look if the Broncos are having trouble with their salary cap and can't fit selling Cobo and I've got a solution for them. Yep, they could lend us rees Welsh just like for the rest of it.
Speaker 7: What about paining hearts.
Speaker 2: Your bad Dabby nice as well? Actually know what? Adam Reynolds wouldn't go astray for the sharks of the moment. Hey MG, have you ever been on a cruise?
Speaker 7: No? And I never would.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 7: No, I'm pastrophobic and the fact of being on somewhere for so for a start, I couldn't sleep at night thinking that we're going to tip over.
Speaker 2: And get a tip over. They're big boats.
Speaker 7: Sometimes when I go to a parbor or a climbing on holidays, go back to my I go back to my hotel and not be you know, bothered by some person who wants to have a few drinks of people on a cruise's note.
Speaker 2: So that's the exact reason I've never wanted to go on a cruise, because I figure if I don't like it, I can't get off. But my wife's convinced me. My wife's convinced me. We're going in two weeks.
Speaker 7: You're going.
Speaker 2: It's only three days, very quick.
Speaker 7: Oh no, no, no, no, oh. You know what, a lot of people swear by them. A lot of my mates have you know, some people live on them.
Speaker 2: Because exactly now what I think. I think you should buy your parents a cruise for their wedding anniversary.
Speaker 7: Well, it is today, fifty eighth wedding anniversary today. My mum Maxine and my father Ace, well Kevin, but he likes het in caurt Ace. He made up his own nickname because he was good at cards. Yeah, they celebrate their fifty eighth wedding anniversary today, moment and dad, it'd be listening right now, high Maxine, Hello Kevin, and we're going up there on the weekend to have a bit of a dinner with him.
Speaker 2: So well, done.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so what I Mum and Dad, we love you lots, and let's have another fifty.
Speaker 2: Eight A congratulations Maxine and Ace for fifty eight fabulous years. And look what you've produced. MG, it's been a couple of other hoighlights as well.
Speaker 7: Look at you, look at him, look as you created.
Speaker 2: We will talk tomorrow.
Speaker 7: I'll see you a studio buddy, Bye bye.
Speaker 2: Ma Guyer. Let's play the quiz one three, one eight seven three. I've got to have a double pass to give away to a fantastic play that's not the ensemble theater in Curabilly. It's called Primary Trust. It's a comedy, really uplifting. It's about second chances. It's about quite courage ensemble dot com dot are you? If you want to play the quiz, give me a call out. One three, one eight seven three. It's nine to six treasure. Jim Chalmers is talking tough tonight. He is putting petrol stations on notice, telling them they can't dud motorists with unjustifiably higher bowers of prices because of the Middle East conflict. Now the price of oil. We just give them what's happened this afternoon with a cease fight. It's very unknown what's the direction of the price of a barrel of oil is going to be in the next couple of weeks. But Jim Arms has written to the a Triable Sea requesting the watchdog be on the lookout for petrol stations attempting to quote do the wrong thing by Australian motors. I probably would have thought that Jim Chalmers should have written to someone else other than the Atriable Sea, because I think they've proven and serially, no one's gonna argue me here. I think the Atriable CEA has proven for many years they're a complete toothless title when it comes to petrol prices. Congratulations, Elizabeth. Elizabeth just told me the text line. It's her thirty seventh wedding anniversary tomorrow. So MG's mom and dad is their fifty eighth wedding anniversary today. Elizabeth married thirty seven years ago. Tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Time to expand your minds.
Speaker 12: Do you may begin your questioning.
Speaker 19: I'm Sydney now asks questions.
Speaker 1: Lincoln's questions were informing your patent. I know you are asked a question. Get it right, Clinton's quick quick, Let's play the quick quiz.
Speaker 2: I've got a double pass to go and see Primary Trust at the ensemble Theater Ensemble dot com dot au if you'd like to go along, Hello, Kevin, here you go. I'm good, my friend. I hope you're feeling clever the Saron and Rob's in Kolara?
Speaker 1: Gooday?
Speaker 2: Rob?
Speaker 4: Hey, Greenton?
Speaker 7: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good? You can go first. Your thirty second starts now? In the nursery rhyme? What did Jack and Jill got the hill for?
Speaker 4: Setch your palor water?
Speaker 2: Correct? The national anthem the national animal of France is a snailer a rooster.
Speaker 9: Ruster?
Speaker 2: Correct? Sir Sidney Nolan was famous for doing what.
Speaker 7: Poetry?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: Who's a painter? Bob Marley and the Whalers were from which country?
Speaker 4: Jamaica?
Speaker 2: Correct? The Shakespeare players called I'll finish it Romeo and.
Speaker 4: Juliette.
Speaker 2: Correct? All right, now, just bear in mind I didn't write the questions today. Adam did so. Kevin. Your thirty second starts now. Spell the word budget, thanks budget? Correct? In what galaxy is our solar system located?
Speaker 7: Milk? A?
Speaker 2: Correct? Who wrote to kill a mocking bird?
Speaker 7: Pass?
Speaker 2: Happily? How long is a cricket pitch? Here?
Speaker 9: Pass?
Speaker 2: Twenty two yards of twenty meters. AFL stands for.
Speaker 7: What Australian Football League.
Speaker 2: Correct. Well, you've finished on three, which means Rob, you're the winner today, get a Rob, well.
Speaker 7: Done, Thank you, it's awesome.
Speaker 2: Congratulations mate. We're going to send you along to go and see a great play at the Ensemble Theater. It's called Primary Trust. You can book now Ensemble dot com dot au.
Speaker 5: And now a preview of what's coming up on wide World of Sports.
Speaker 1: With six hundred and four kilometers of.
Speaker 5: Range, the Kia EV three is your twenty twenty five World Car.
Speaker 1: Of the Year.
Speaker 5: Visit your nearest Kia showroom to test drive yours today.
Speaker 2: Adam hares hosting wild Wood Sports from six o'clock tonight, and the teams are out for this weekend's NRL games.
Speaker 25: Yeah, they sure are. Clinton Nathan clearly a lot of interest in him. He has been named by the Panthers. But will he play? That is the question. Ivan Cleary, His dad and coach certainly didn't sound too confident earlier in the afternoon. I believe he's got to finish training today unscathed.
Speaker 2: Who they playing Panthers this weekend? The Bulldogs it's a pretty good jeez, yeah, pretty big game.
Speaker 25: And then if he doesn't play, the question is should he be picked for State of Orison three? Would you take him in? Is that a big gamble?
Speaker 2: What do you think you take him in? Because Matt Burton's eighteenth man, so you've got that there, that luxury. So anyway, we'll talk about that.
Speaker 25: Michael Chammers from the Herald of nine, he will join me with all the latest, including the Selwyn Cobbo gossip. Paul Gallon will come on the show to talk about his fight with Sonny Bill Williams and also chat with Julie Fitzgerald from the Giants netball Side.
Speaker 2: Pawsey coming up with Whitewater Sports. After the six o'clock news, dead Night will be presenting Money News from seven, John Stanley taking him through the night, Fiddle O'Neill overnight. Don't forget, We're spitting the wheel all day long tomorrow with Ben in breakfast, Levy in mornings, Mick mackin afternoons, and I will be spending the Winter Wheel different time tomorrow, so you're gonna have to listen carefully. Thanks to your company. Over the past couple of hours, Sydney now