Speaker 1: Now on Overnight, Professor David Flint analyzes the important offense of the week. Hello, Professor David Flint, how are you this morning?
Speaker 2: Good morning, Tille, How are.
Speaker 1: You good now? I hope there won't be any obscenities during this chat that we have here a Donald Trump. I mean, you are well known for the invective, but.
Speaker 2: I'll try and control myself on this occasion.
Speaker 1: Phil Okay, Well, it's been a very interesting time with Donald Trump. How do you think he's going And do you think, and according to your Spectator article that it is regime change time?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it is approaching that that may well be the reason why they have difficulty having these fire. They want disease fire, but they can't. They don't really want it, you know what I mean, But they realize that that's the only thing they can do to continue, and think they desperately need these fire It's probably their only chance of surviving. I don't think they have a great chance of surviving. The terrible thing would be if this regime were replaced by exactly the same people, but who are lowered down in the hierarchy, who then continue with a similar policy to That's why I think that the really good thing would be if the Shah's son were able to come in as the head of the interim government and do what he says, and that is, within one hundred days after a transition, there'd be a referendum that the new government, the new system be secular, as to say, not religious, and be democratic and the form of it be left to the people.
Speaker 1: But people are concerned. People are concerned that regime change may bring in more hardliners.
Speaker 2: Well that's the danger, isn't it, That it'll be just be just the same sort of people, because there's so many of them in the Revolutionary Guard. But I don't think it would go along with what the people want. I think the people are sick and tired of this system and they would really like to go back to something like it was under the Shower.
Speaker 1: How much of a say, though, will the people have? Do the people have enough power to do that? I mean, would they be a little afraid to cause that kind of trouble and have that kind of uprising?
Speaker 2: Well, speaking in a country where where the ruling party gets a third of the vote and ends up with almost two thirds of the seats, I can understand that sort of thing. There's a danger, particularly in countries like Iran, of the people not being in any way represented. There's a great danger of that. Hopefully that with Trump taking a leading role, there will be less chance of that. I think he will be he will be supervising it. I don't think. I think he's not going to be closely involved. And that was the big problem in previous cases. Certainly when it came to Japan after the war, it was MacArthur and Truman who kept the emperor in against very strong Australian which is Australian's The Australian government wanted hero Hito tried as a war criminal. They probably would have liked to have seen him hanged, as the Prime Minister was, but that wasn't going to happen because MacArthur and Truman realized that if he wanted to rule Japan and bring it towards modern democracy, liberate the country and turn it into the great economic success as it turned out, the only way to do that, the only way to the country quiet was to keep the emperor. If you got rid of the empers straight where you would have lost control over the population. There would have been many who would have wanted to fight to the death, and they would have fought to the death because we saw that during the war.
Speaker 1: I mean, we have seen history like this before. Nineteen seventy nine would be a good example, wouldn't that the Iranian Revolution?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, oh yes, most definitely. And it was Carter who pulled the rug under the shah Shah. The Show was leading the country, which was the great ally of the West in the Middle East, and a powerful country. Made the country much more powerful than it ever was. The military was powerful, it was industrializing. Women were liberated and if you go back, you just google women in Tehran and you'll see that they were glamorous, they were fashionable. It was a very interesting place, and they were liberated. And the Show had no problems with that and encouraged that. It was very much an order society because as you mentioned that that coup as it was called in fifty three, which the British and the Americans pushed was to get rid of the government that had emerged from the parliament Mosadic. Mosadic was pushing the government towards the left and to take over all of the foreign companies and have a much more socialist system. And the British Americans wanted the Shah to take over, and they effectively authorized the much more authoritarian system, a quasi democracy, which is how the Shah rain and it was we got Carter objecting to that and dealing with the opposition, including the Mullers, and the result was that there was a number of opponents to the Shah. Were the ones that stood out with the extreme religious group who were in the seventh century with seventh century form of the Islamic religion, and they wanted twenty first century weapons so that they could deal with Islam, so that they could then move on to the Sunni Arabs and move on to the Christian areas. That they are a really dangerous lot to ones who have been running Iran, and it's good that they're getting rid of being got rid of. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the problem being, and you'd be fully aware of this too, is that you know, trying to change the government through outside forces will just plunge that region into more termoil it to.
Speaker 2: I think that's and I think that's something that see. I think Club has valuable instincts and common sense. He has an interesting way of expressing himself, a blunt wave expressing reserves. We just heard which you couldn't play on the radio, that you have to be up. But he understands human nature and he's quite open about it in a way that other leaders are not open about it. And as Greg Sheridan said in Australian, Sheridan has previously had very little time for Trump, as the whole Australian really turned againt well, the whole media has been against him in Australia. But he said, of what Netanya Who was able to do in Iran, only Trump would have allowed Bettanya Who to do that. And that was a spectacular operation by Israel, the way they dealt with the situation and chopped off the heads of all of the powerful, dangerous institutions which were keeping the country under control and also pushing this curious foreign policy.
Speaker 1: So we talked about, you know, foreign policy. So Donald Trump came in here with his policy of not getting involved in overseas wars, and now he's knee deep in it again. And as a result of this, it seems to be splitting his base down the middle. Where do you think this leaves him going forward? Because he's got you know, the extreme maga on one side, who seemed to be splitting off Marjorie Taylor Green and people like that. And then you've got the other side, the Republicans, who also seem to be a little concerned about you know where this is going, what do you think is going to happen.
Speaker 2: Well, the polling is very strongly inv over him. There was a couple of pearls which have suggested either eighty percent or close to eighty percent of Republicans support him and in the high seventies for Maga. He has no problems in relation to the numbers. The rank and files support him, But he's some individuals who think they know more about Mega than he does. And I don't think that. I think they're just going to have little effect as long as he does what he wants to do and he takes the view he understands what Sunzu argued in ancient China that the supreme art of the war is to subdue the enemy without fighting. That's a brilliant a brilliant thesis. But there's a corollary which Truck realizes, sometimes you have to fight, but the better thing to do if fighting is unavoidable, you have to be as clinical and as minimal as possible, you mustn't have you mustn't have a land army there Vietnam style. That was wrong, So was Afghanistan, so was Iraq. He would never have been involved in that. He's never said he wouldn't take clinical measures, which he did during his first term. He took action to see that some matters didn't continue. But they were very quick, very fast. And that is a corollary of the doctrine of Sunsu that if fighting is unavoidable, do it quickly and do it as clinically as possible, which you can do much more now with modern weapons. And what he did in relation to the flattening of the nuclear power, the nuclear stations or not stations, nuclear facilities was to just deal with them so that they could never be used again. I can't and see how they will be of any use to anybody again with what they did to them. I know that some of the media and America saying, oh, they could still be used or they could still be recuperated, but I have grave doubts about that. And if they, if they can be, Trump wouldn't be restrained in any way from doing it again, and doing it at at a heavy level. And I don't think he need. I think they're in such a state that they are useless, which doesn't mean it doesn't mean that this government wouldn't try and do it again. And we've had the Russian former Russian president saying, well, one of the one of the Axis powers could sell them nuclear weapons, and that's always possible, because that's what that's what North Korea did in relation to Pakistan. They're probably willing to provide weapons, but think that the United States would be on to that and would stop it.
Speaker 1: Well, you would think so, although there's talk of what happened to the four hundred kilograms of uranium that may or may not have been transported away from four though before the bunker busters hit. So if that's the case, and I'd heard stories about that, surely they would have intelligence to know that that had happened.
Speaker 2: I would have thought so. I don't think that would have happened without the Americans knowing, and certainly Mossad knowing. I think the Israelis would have been on top of that. They were terribly well informed, informed to the extent that they were able to penetrate all of the resources, all of the subterfugions of the government to get people whom they particularly want us to get rid of.
Speaker 1: Do you think this ceasefire is going to hold? I mean, and it's barely holding from the outset here. Do you think that this will continue to be precarious or do you think that somebody eventually will go and hopefully Iran will go. Well, okay, you know, let's let's try and find a peaceful way out of this.
Speaker 2: My feeling is around will they will go along with it reluctantly because they think this is the only way that they can survive. I think that they know that they are hated by the population. They know that they can depend on the Guard, the Revolutionary Guard, but they know that the Israel has the measure of them, and if necessary get can keep on removing the leadership of the Revolutionary Guard, which will make it very difficult for them to operate in the way that they have in the past. In fact, the next stage of this, if the cease fire breaks down, Israel will make sure that the regime as it presently is is in a very difficult position to preserve itself, which will unleash the forces on the ground. Now the Israelis will never have there'll never be in a position to be able to dictate who the new regime will be, as the Americans did, and they did it badly in Afghanistan, and they did it badly in Iraq. And I don't think Trump will be involved in that either. So there's a hope that the son of the Shah would be the ideal person. But he certainly has considerable support among the emigrets living in the West, but what support he has within the Iran at the present time is unknown. There's probably a lot of nostalgia for the past. In fact, I've found going around using ubers and you find you have an Afghanistani driver or you have one from Iran, and you just ask them how it used to be, and they refer to what their parents said. And I've had both in relation to Iran and especially in relation to Afghanistan, that under the Shau, under the king, it was a golden age, and they compare that to today because under these regimes, life is very very strict, very bitter, and particularly for women.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, let's just hope there's an appetite to acquiesce here and not the usual indoctrination of martyrdom, because that's the last direction I think you want to go in, especially in the situation.
Speaker 2: Like this, I think you're absolutely right, and the cease fires precarious. Donald Trump has injected new strengths into it. As we heard tonight, it will. I think Israel will observe what he wants. They'll give the Iranians a chance. This is not the Iranian people, this is the government, and they'll give them a chance, and if they are genuine in wanting to retain it will There is obviously going to be a problem in getting everybody at the beginning to obey, because there would be some people who would still want to go ahead and do things which are in breach of the sease far. Well, they've got to control all of their people to make sure that sort of thing doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, let's hope that from America's point of view, from Donald Trump's point of view, they can subdue the enemy without fighting, and not the other popular sons who quote, if you know your enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of one hundred battles.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I don't think the Americans want a one hundred battles And I'm sure Trump doesn't want that and knows that his supporters don't want it. That's it.
Speaker 1: The article will be Thursday in the Spectator Trump's Exceptional leadership Regime Change. Time to bring back the Shah, but time to say good evening to the good professor until next week. Thank you so much again, David, thank you, thank you so much too,