S1: Hi everyone. Welcome to Mark my words, our Monday edition storytime with the boys. And there's a bit of a theme today. One of the things we've seen gents and I don't like it, is prior to games and after the games, more so prior to the games. Opposing teams coming together, shaking hands and being all pally pally. No.
S2: Prior to the game you say.
S1: You are up against one another, you despise one another because it's game on. And I thought we'd have a look today at the training ground bust up. So when you boys were playing, admittedly, in any workplace, you don't get along with people, right? So were there bust ups? Were there disagreements? Did it get a little testy on, say, a mad Monday? M g piggy, as I say hello to you, let's talk about training ground bust ups.
S3: I can't remember too many. Well, you know what? It happens.
S2: Not many times would you see a player, um, and a teammate Fight what you do in drills you'd see. Sometimes. Sometimes you get. You'd be doing a drill and you'd be saying like, coach would go 70%. Okay, we're doing a drill, do an offload. And all of a sudden one of the under 21 players or one of the reserve grade players would go over and go, I can get out of here. Hey, what are you doing? 70%. And so you get up and go. You get the ball now. Yeah, I'll go 90%. And that's kind of as far as it goes.
S3: Yeah. They call them test matches. Well, we would call them test matches. Yes. Oh, fuck. Here we go. We got a test match. Yes, yes, a test match. It's training. Yeah.
S2: We say origin. I got fucking origin denied. Is it with you? I'm not. I'm not saying names, but. But that. I mean, we're big men. We're all blokes are all mostly alpha males. And, um. You you don't love. You don't love everyone you play with. That's that's that's just how it is. I mean, to win a grand final, you've got to have more love than hate because that's you know, you've got to be around them blokes longer than you're around your family. So, um, but there's, there's sometimes it's hard to fit a square block into a round pole, you know, because he's some, some guys are just set in their ways and they don't want to go out with the boys. They don't want to do anything. And we go, well, fuck off.
S1: Because I'm like.
S3: There's a few.
S2: There's a few of them nerds.
S1: Well, I work at a workplace, obviously here, right. And there'll be people I know over the years, people have got on my nerves and you sort of just, oh, you know, you suck it up and get on with it. But when you're around a group of high testosterone blokes training all striving for the same thing, there'd be little bits and pieces that players do that annoy you.
S3: Yeah, of course, but as M.G. said, like you go in there and you're training and you're not all best mates. It just doesn't happen. But like I while you boys were talking then I was thinking back to, to I suppose my experience isn't that like some, some of the Dragons boys that I played with are still my best mates today. Like I still talk to them a fair bit, still get on, still catch up, but the the ones that m g said about they like you'll get a group. You've got to write in any group of people. You're going to get 1 or 2. That are just different. Yeah. And, and may not want to socialize with the team outside of footy, but like we had, we had a great we had a great group at the Dragons in particular. And I'm thinking about the Dragons here, mate. We were always together. We would. We were going out for dinners during the week after training.
S1: Rattle off some names. Who were you? Sort of.
S3: Oh well, Timo and myself, Willie Peters Rossi, Gaz, Baz, Benny Hornby, Dean young, like Dean Young and Benny Craig came in a little bit after, like we just all hang out. We all hung out. Like we always hung out together. Yeah. That's we, we, we, we used to have, I think it was the Thursday night because we, we come down and I was living in Sydney, but I'd stay at Tim's house. We trained Thursday and then everyone would go to this pasta joint. I forget what it's called. Right. In Wollongong we'd have Italian for dinner and then we'd get up to shenanigans, you know, like not not bad stuff, but just funny stuff. And, um.
S1: They would have struggled out on the town. The likes of Trent Barrett.
S3: Out on the town, not drinking or anything like this was preparing for games.
S2: So you were, you were starting your career as I was finishing mine. Yeah. Yeah. So when Ron Willey come to us in the late 80s, he was he said, I want to change everything, you know. And so instead of training as a group like Tim Sheens had us like he had to train under 23 reserve grade, first grade. Ron Willey cut off the reserve grade under 23. He said, I want 15 blokes a week training with us, and I want that 15 blokes to go to the pub every Thursday and have at least three schooners with each other. Well, that three schooners turned into bringing you cutting into training with your dancing clothes on. You're kidding. Don't drink night at Panthers on a Thursday night. I got a drink. Night. We were getting jugs.
S3: Bring that back.
S2: Panthers jugs. Jugs of black Russian going like.
S3: What year was that? 88. 89. So, okay, so just before you had that run, obviously.
S2: Well, that's that's when the run started because he came in and Tim Sheens had already set the groundwork for us and signed all these guys from Mount Druitt, which I was one of. Yeah. And we had this kind of mantra that if you're going to have fun on the field, you've gotta have fun off the field. Yeah, yeah. And we did. Um, and in the end, those guys who wouldn't come with their coat hangers were kind of what this is what the coach wants.
S3: This is what we're doing this.
S2: We're going to do it.
S1: It's interesting you talk about that. I speaking of Mark Gasnier and the association with Renown United. Oh yeah. This might be a stupid story, but I'll tell it anyway. When, when I was back refereeing we used to um the, in the local area we used to go and train with some of the A-grade sides. And I remember the night we went along, I just turned 18, we went to the renown United A grades training night. It was before the final started and they said, we're doing something a bit different tonight. And they dragged out this big rope. So we all had to pick up the rope, all the players and all the referees we all had to be. And it was a pub crawl. We went to every pub and had a beer. If someone had to go to the toilet, we all had to go to the toilet. It was. It was the most enjoyable night and like I ran to a renowned play recently down at the local shops and we were talking about it and I said, well, that happened any more like in, you know, even in park footy. It's amazing what it did just for bringing everyone together.
S3: But that those days are gone. Aren't they having a beer and all that? I don't see it.
S2: A couple of days ago, Ben Stokes come out and said that the, um, the culture in cricket is one of drinking culture. And if you're not a drinker, you're left out, which kind of I thought in 2026. That's a weird thing to say. Yeah. Because we know how destructive alcohol can be. Yeah. If you're, if you're hanging for it all the time, if you're an alcohol. Yeah, yeah. So, um, but renowned. So my first ever apprenticeship was at renowned Pearlite, which Reg your own bank?
S1: Yeah.
S2: Bank. That was my first ever apprenticeship. I lasted two weeks because I was getting 70 bucks a week, and it cost me 68 bucks to get there from Mount Druitt.
S3: No way.
S1: $2 profit.
S2: I'd have to get on a bus, two trains, another bus, and then walk two cars to the.
S3: So every week you're spending that.
S2: Every day I was, I was every day I'd be getting a train bus.
S1: Wow.
S2: See boys and girls.
S3: Oh my.
S2: But yeah. And it was I didn't mind. It was just the fact of getting there. I couldn't get there. I didn't have my licence or anything at that stage. So.
S1: Oh, the old, old renowned park. They had this.
S3: Still down the bottom of the gully sort of thing.
S1: They had this cricket pitch in the middle. Oh, I probably shouldn't tell this story. I remember renown were on the attack. They were playing against Hurstville United and I was standing on the on the goal line because obviously take the defensive team back the ten. And this this dummy half, he darted out of dummy half and he dived at the line and he dived straight into the knee of one of the renowned players and went straight into his cheekbone and the cheekbone popped his eyeball out.
S3: Popped his.
S1: Eyeball. I'm telling.
S2: You.
S1: I'm telling you. So the trainer came out and covered it up, and I'm just sitting there. I was.
S2: Right on.
S1: No no no no. The game.
S3: Went.
S1: On, but everyone was just dry reaching, going. This is.
S3: So you're saying he's. I popped out of his head.
S1: He dived into the line. He hit the bloke straight there, but his cheekbone and the eyeball popped out.
S2: If you if anyone out there in, um, podcast land knows of this bloke, this player, and he's still with us, we want to get him on.
S1: I know him.
S2: Oh.
S1: One eyed Willie.
S3: I thought it was Popeye.
S2: Oh where's Olive?
S1: That's better I'll give you that. No, but that's a serious. Well.
S2: That gives me.
S1: One of the worst things I've ever seen on the football field. Oh, awful. Oh my goodness. I don't know how I got onto that. Well one of the other one of the other topics that I wanted to raise with you boys is you obviously have a cupboard full of jerseys or you might have some some of the jerseys you wore or maybe swapped with opposing players prized possessions and the story behind it. MJ I'm thinking, you know, all the things you achieved in your career. Have you got something at home that you consider to be one of your prized possessions?
S2: I haven't.
S3: Where's your Panthers premiership?
S2: That's in the NRL museum, I think. I gave that to Frankie when he was the. He was running that. Yeah. Um, Gus Warne's got my 91 origin jersey. Um, I when we were on the kangaroo tour, um, I would swap jerseys with the game every time. So I've got Warrington Hull. I do.
S3: All.
S2: Them. Yeah. Um Sheffield. Obviously I played for Sheffield. Yeah. Um but one of the most, one of the ones I love the most was when we were on the Kangaroos together and um Mark Sargeant gave me his, we swapped the, I swapped the chocolate soldier one with a Henny penny, which I still got at home.
S3: Wow.
S2: The Henny Penny jersey which Newcastle won. Um, and then I swapped them into my second test match against the Kiwis. Mercy Kolody, second rower. He had number 11 Kiwis jersey on. I swapped that with him. I got that at home, but man, most of mine, most of mine are gone.
S1: Really?
S3: Oh, you don't have, like, bags and bags. I used to. You do?
S2: I used to, but when I was in my, um, let's say downtime as a player. I would, uh, sell them for. For money.
S3: Oh, right. Yeah. Okay.
S2: Because I was doing it so hard. I'd have to make ends meet and I'd give. I'd sell three, you know, 3 or 4 jerseys to a for 500 bucks.
S3: Yeah. Right. Yeah. Far out. Mhm. Jeez. Will you get the one that was in the museum back? Yeah. If you ever want it back. Yeah. Of course. Yeah.
S2: I'd love to get it back from my grandkids.
S3: Yeah. I know that's, you know.
S1: It's interesting. It's interesting. I, I, I called some cricket with Ian Chappell, um, back in the sports radio days and um, I got talking to him one night. We didn't talk a lot of cricket, but he loved talking about baseball. And I randomly said to Chappelle once, I said, oh, have you still got your baggy green and you know, some. He goes, nah. I said, what about. I said, give it your grandkids. He goes, no, he goes, everything I achieved, it's all up here, all my money.
S2: And if you come to my house, you would never know that I was the next footballer. Really? I've got nothing around the house that says I'm the next footballer. I've got one photo in one back room of a the 91 team. Yeah, but that's it. Like I know I haven't got anything.
S1: Wow.
S3: I don't have anything in the house. Not allowed.
S2: You would if you could.
S1: The wife.
S3: I'm not putting that up. I've got I've got a heap of stuff in the garage but nothing up. Nothing up. I've got a lot of sports memorabilia in general. Yeah. Different stuff. Don Bradman, Michael Schumacher, like heaps of good memorabilia. None of that's up. That's all stacked in against the wall in the garage. Um, I've got a picture. A canvas of our grand final winning team, the Wigan Warriors one. Um.
S1: She's not even allowed to put that up.
S2: That'd be good.
S3: Up that That's on the wall. Canvas looked good in the garage. That's the only place I'm allowed to have any Harley. I'll take a photo of it when I go home today. I'll send it to him. Chat group and then I've got. I've actually got a character. Oh. What do you call it? A caricature, a caricature or a picture of me that's been painted of me doing the one arm salute? So when that came out years ago, my junior club had an artist.
S2: Oh, that'd be awesome.
S3: Saint Christopher's panini. I had an artist do them. Yeah. And then they auctioned them off. And then I got one. And then. So I got that framed. That's great. I've got that on a wall in the garage. In the garage? Yeah. And then for my 40th birthday, because I've got bags and bags of all the jerseys and everything, but I've never been through them. I don't have a clue. My mum and dad kept him. So my mum and dad kept them the whole career. I gave them to. And then once the career finished.
S2: There you go.
S3: There you go. It's all yours. We don't want it in the house. So they. They gave me everything but my wife, Carly, she got my Wigan Warriors grand final jersey framed up for my 40th. So I got that in a frame, but that's stacked.
S2: In the garage.
S3: And then there's one other I just want to, I want to find and I just haven't had a chance. I'm so busy. Um, I want to get me Dragons debut jersey.
S2: Of course.
S3: Because that's my first grade debut.
S2: And I'm like, yeah, I don't know why.
S3: I wouldn't even know. I don't know where it is. I know I was wearing number 17, but it's, it's also an old school jersey now. Like it's 20, 26 years ago, like the big baggy.
S2: Oh.
S3: You know, jersey. So I gotta find that I want to get that eventually.
S2: Back then though, cotton and three quarter sleeves heavy.
S3: Yeah. And the long sleeves.
S1: But I'm trying to think of the game we called on the weekend, but the players, they're that tight. They look like they're midriffs.
S3: I heard um it was the Saturday game because I heard big man say.
S1: Yeah, what.
S3: Goes what? He goes what are these jerseys. All the players.
S1: Oh Canberra. Penrith. It was the Canberra jerseys.
S3: I heard him say hey they're all riding up there. I was like Thank God I'm not. Oh imagine.
S2: Far out.
S3: There's no like tight jerseys were just coming in. When I was playing mate, you'd see me in the dressing room. I'd be like, leave me, leave me. Come over here. You grab one side. Stretch it out. I bloody hated the tight jerseys. That's why one of the reasons I retired.
S1: And that's why we love the pig. That's why we love it.
S2: Right?
S1: All right, well, let's get into some listener questions. Some good ones again this week. James says boys, who is the most loved to hate player in the game right now? The kind of guy who thrives on away crowd boos.
S2: Oh, let's think of who's up top of the comp. You know Penrith. They've got they've got anyone. Probably not. Nah. Um have the Warriors have the have the Roosters.
S1: I can think of automatically one who uh a bloke who thrives when he's booed over the fence and I know he's out injured at the moment. Latrell Mitchell.
S2: Yeah. Yeah. Latrell does, he does.
S1: You watch him when he's like I don't love.
S3: To hate him. I love.
S2: No, I.
S1: Love it. But I wouldn't say love to hate. But I'd say he's a divisive character in the game.
S3: Yeah. I'd say the opposition fans of other clubs don't like him.
S1: Yeah, that's probably. But he thrives under the pressure.
S2: Reece Walsh as well. Maybe.
S3: Probably Reece Walsh he'd probably be a bit of that.
S2: But but not many is there.
S3: There's not as many. There's no like yeah, I'm just trying to think like you like I love read money always have. But he would be one as well.
S2: He's so much like me. This is not.
S3: Going into that.
S2: Yeah, but you need them players in your team. You gotta.
S1: Um. All right. Terry. Uh, what was the most dangerous piece of park footy infrastructure encountered growing up? Unpadded steel post rock hard mud or the local dog walking on the field. All that play.
S3: All.
S1: That. I like it, Terry.
S2: All of that.
S3: My. I played for a club.
S1: Here's a story.
S3: No no no no. I play.
S2: Pause and then.
S3: I played.
S2: For should I say this.
S3: No no no nothing bad. I played for a club, uh, Saint Christopher's Panini. That was my local club and our, our local field. We only had one field for the whole club. Our local field was. Well, we called it River road, but it was called Bill Delaney Reserve. Um, and River road is right next to the bush. Right. So like, um, if anyone sort of knows the area, um there's River road, which is the road next to the ground, and then there's Henry Lawson Drive and it's on the corner. Well, there's bush all around that. So I actually lived at the top of the hill of River road. So I would walk through the bush to get to training down the hill into the ground. And then if I ever wanted to go home, if I wanted to, I'd go back through the bush and go home. But as back in the day, parents like they. My mum and dad were at the ground from seven in the morning till like ten, 11, 12:00 at night because everyone went there. My dad set up, I went down with him. My dad would coach, mum would be in the canteen. The afternoon would finish, kids would be playing footy on the field or we'd be in the bush and I remember, I remember, um, one time we got in a bit of strife because one of the roads Henry Lawson Drive dissected, dissected, um the bush and you could go up to the top of a cliff and we used to build cubby houses and stuff in the cliff and a number of the players, and I'm not naming names of anyone who was there would like to throw rocks.
S2: Oh, okay.
S3: Yeah. See?
S2: Who's it wrong with.
S3: No, no, no. And I'm I'm talking excuse me, I'm talking NRL because there's.
S2: A.
S3: Few NRL players. Yeah. We got we got in that much shit.
S1: No surprise.
S3: And then the other one was a year that our older brothers won the comp down there. Right. And I think a fair few grades won the comp and they all decided they were all on the drink. They all decided to strip nude. So they've stripped nude and gone on a nudie run on Henry Lawson Drive. Right. Right. They've done the nudie run. The police have been called. You know, had to shut it all down. But then in the local paper, it was the torch that was called the torch. That was the local paper. And it had a write up. About 100 men spotted nude running down the street on Henry.
S2: Lawson.
S3: Drive. Well.
S2: I'm going to say one of the most dangerous pieces of park footy infrastructure was my dad once, because I was playing for North Mount Druitt, under 12 against Blackett from Mount Druitt as well, and my dad was walking up and down the sideline and at half time I'm there with my coach having oranges and, you know, listening. Next minute I see my dad chasing this bloke on a postie bike across the field. I went, what chase?
S3: Like just running after him.
S2: Trying to get him going. So anyway, after that all kerfuffle went, dad didn't catch him. He came back and mum's come over to me going, oh, dad, that babe, that bloke there was given five bucks to anyone on the other team who would put one on you.
S3: 12 under.
S2: 12 under twelves. Like he was going to give him five bucks.
S3: What did he know the other team? Like, did he have a kid in the other team or not?
S2: He was out. I knew this bloke because he lived down the corner from us, and he had a kid younger than me, not my age.
S3: And he went to the other team and started five bucks.
S2: Everyone takes Guy.
S1: Out. Jesus.
S2: And that was why I wasn't even a gun. Like I wasn't even the best player. Yeah, like I was just a player. Yeah, but he got. And then that's what I mean. I've never seen the old man have a fight in his life.
S3: But he was.
S2: On this day. He was going to try and get one. Yeah. The bloke in the motorbike just went, whoa.
S1: It's funny you talk about your dad as a junior rugby league referee. Like you used to cop it from the supporters. Oh, mate, I remember doing a game. Brighton Seagulls down at Scarborough Park. It was an A-grade game, and I came off and there was a there was just all these people giving it to me in the corner and I come off the ground. Announcer goes, jeez, they're giving it to you today. And I said, yeah, yeah. They were pretty ruthless today. And I said, mate, who was the main culprit? And I said, your dad? He used to get on the drink. He used to get on the drink with all the supporters and just let's give it to the ref. Your eyes are painted on, you idiot.
S2: I wasn't expecting that.
S1: Yeah, cause my dad and I get in the car and he goes. You've had a shocker today, son. I said, yeah, cos that's because the Brighton Seagulls are buying you beers. Anyway, um uh, has the concept from Gen workhorse stats ruined how we view actual impact forwards? Sometimes 15 tough runs in the middle is better than 45 tough tackles. Do coaches know the difference from Gen?
S2: Oh, piggy. What do you think? Let me read. You're more you're more.
S3: To comment on the context concept of workhorse stats ruined how we view actual impact forwards. Sometimes 15 times runs in the middle. It's better than 45 tough tackles. Of course, coaches know the difference.
S2: The eye test.
S3: I said to read that a second time to make sure I was reading the right thing, but of course they do. If your job is an impact player to come off the bench and you can change the momentum of the game or change the speed of the game. You've done your job. Doesn't matter whether you've done 45 tackles or not. Obviously you've got to defend well and make sure you make your tackles, but I don't I don't I don't see that as an issue.
S2: What he said.
S3: Everyone everyone.
S2: With him.
S1: Alright, a couple of quick ones before we go. Emma, if you had to describe the West Tigers last ten years using only three words, what are they.
S2: Not good enough?
S1: No, not not good enough. Yeah. I thought you could have gone a bit stronger than that.
S2: No I can't, young blokes, they're fucking shithouse.
S1: Shithouse has one word. Champion.
S3: Yeah, well, I was under three, wasn't I?
S2: Totally underachieving.
S3: Okay. Fucking shithouse mate. Well, you describe it. I think that's what everyone would describe it.
S2: Well, one irons one of their biggest fans. We should ask him what he thinks.
S3: Is that right? One, he.
S1: Absolute dog's breakfast. I'll clean it up a bit. Uh, Bill says if you could reverse exactly one contract decision your club made in the last three years, what would it be?
S3: Oh, Shane Flanagan.
S2: What?
S3: I thought.
S1: Wow.
S3: Can you clip this and send it to him?
S1: Put that on the socials. It'll go viral.
S3: Um, no, I got no idea.
S2: I'll go with Penrith. I haven't got one. Really? Like they've won four comps.
S3: Yeah I know it's hard for you.
S2: Like maybe a lot. Team still playing for Penrith. Yeah but I haven't really got one.
S3: I was if you could reverse exactly one. Yeah. No I'll stick with Flynn.
S2: So you want to still be coaching there.
S3: No, no we didn't want him there in the first place. Hey, Shane.
S2: Oh.
S3: You know, you're an avid podcast listener.
S1: What about Flynn? Rings me the other day. I'll tell this story. Flynn rings me the other day. Oh, lady, I've made it big time. If you watch my TV show. I said, no. He goes, I'm on Disney Plus. I said, what? Hanging out with Bugs Bunny. he said, oh, mate, we've got hundreds of thousands of listeners. I said, you're on TV. Why would they listen? So what about his kid?
S3: What about his kid? He. How sharp he's.
S1: I don't watch it. What is it?
S3: Oh, he's very sharply dressed there, but Kyle informed me that obviously it's not, um, not his choice that he's his lovely wife. Chooses his outfits for the show.
S1: But, mate, it's a rugby league show on Disney Plus.
S3: I know, I.
S1: Know, who cares?
S3: I'm just the messenger. Oh, okay.
S1: Hey, Shane, can you drop off leaking stuff to the media about being linked to this and being on channel seven and everything else, mate. Like you were avoiding the media when you got punted by Saint George Illawarra. Oh that's right. He left because he wanted to protect Kyle.
S2: Oh you're.
S1: Getting it anyway. Nice shirt Shane. Do they make them for men? See you. Bye bye bye.
S3: See you.
S1: That's it. We'll talk to you on Thursday. Mark my words. We love doing this. Hope you're enjoying it. Catch you later in the week.