Speaker 1: Now on afternoon screen Talk right on twenty to two, Bang on the dots. So let's bring it Anna col Day the Entertainment Extraordinary at nine.
Speaker 2: We call this little Segmund screen Talk.
Speaker 3: Hello, Anna, good afternoon.
Speaker 1: Now, before we get into the meat of at all the Sydney Film Festival that kicked off last night, you would have been there on the red carpet strutting your stuff note out.
Speaker 2: But well, well last.
Speaker 3: Night I was actually at Katie Perry, I know, but I do have lots of tickets book to see films at the Sydney Film Festival. And it is, as you say, officially underway, the seventy second Film Festival. It's the twelve day event. It runs until June fifteenth. So many movies are screening. I'm kind of overwhelmed. I'm still trying to pick all the extra ones that I'm going to go see, but like they're across the city. But there are new films, award winning films, buzzy films, documentaries, foreign films, animated short films, everything that you could want. I'm so excited. I'm going to be seeing Sorry, Baby Eddington, Life of Chuck. Of the three that I've picked so far, still have a few more to pick, but everyone should check it out because it's such a great film festival to support.
Speaker 4: So you can have a look at.
Speaker 3: The program at SFF dot org dot au.
Speaker 1: There we'll give a double pass away later for the track of the day for that as well as a couple of tickets to that. All. Right, now, the Midday Movie This is now what you're going to become most famous for. You see when you retire the Midday Movie review. I know, get no am for this. Now what have we got this week?
Speaker 4: We have a film called Steal Your Heart.
Speaker 3: Now this is airing on nine at midday on Friday, So set your.
Speaker 1: Allah, heyktop, this is airing on nine.
Speaker 3: Yes, this one is airing on nine. I've moved away from seven for this week. I thought I compared what the offerings were and I think Steal Your Heart is the one that everyone should watch because this is a feat of cinematography and storytelling.
Speaker 4: In this film, we meet Melissa. She's an amateur. She gets enlisted by the CEO.
Speaker 3: Of a huge jewelry company to make a bridal line for them.
Speaker 4: But she won't be working alone.
Speaker 3: No, she has to work with the CEO's super uptight and serious sun Jake. Neither are happy about their forced partnership. But if you've watched any bad cheesy romance Michael, you will know that their time together will lead to much more than just a working relationship.
Speaker 4: And you are going to end up with a clogged.
Speaker 3: Artery from the sheer volume of cheese that you are going to consume watching this movie. So don't forget Midday Tomorrow on nine. It's unmissible.
Speaker 2: I'll have my.
Speaker 1: Fond of bread and gerkins ready now, def bready, what do you reckon?
Speaker 2: Out of ten? I mean, how good is.
Speaker 4: This um look in the scale of midday the wages? I know, Look, I will say, in looking at as.
Speaker 3: A midday movie, this is not comparing it to any of the wonderful films at the Sydney Film Festival. But I would give it a six out of ten for a midday movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, let's pass.
Speaker 3: I think I would say last week was probably a two. So you know, we're making.
Speaker 2: Moves, and at least for this couple.
Speaker 1: You know, the engagement ring slash wedding ring, which is often a very expensive upfront cost, that's neglible. It was just you know exactly, just wave it off as a text dis action yourself one quite right. Now, the movies themselves are the ones they actually do make it to a big screen. Karate Kid Legends.
Speaker 3: Yes, forty one years ago we learned how to wax on and wax off with Ralph Maccio and now he is back teaching an audio generation the art of karate with a little help from another legend, Jackie Chan. So this one the new film, We follow a new kung fu prodigy, Lee. He moves to New York City with his mum, makes friends with a classmate and her dad. You know. Of course, the little romance blossoms, but a rival karate champion learns of their budding romance and instigates a battle between the pair. So of course Lee has to seek guidance from his kung fu teacher, which is Jackie Chan and the legendary Karate Kid, to give him the skills to come out on top in this epic martial arts showdown. So you know what, Look, this is a big hit of nostalgia, especially for kind.
Speaker 4: Of any millennial or earlier. Everyone is going to love that.
Speaker 3: And then of course you know it's going to open up the franchise to a whole new generation as well. I mean, I've got two nephews who are purple belts in karate and they are absolutely going to love this movie.
Speaker 2: Don't mess with them, Okay.
Speaker 3: Ballerina, Yes, look very different fighting style in this film. This is a you know, a spinoff of the John Wick franchise. This time it's headed up by Anna de Arma. So Ballerina takes place between Movie three Movie four. Movie four was the last one that just came out a couple of years ago. So Eve is in training to be an assassin with the Rusca Roma and she's haunted by her childhood where she witnessed men kill her dad. So armed with her new killer skills, she naturally is out for blood and revenge. It's a decent spinoff movie. It's no you know, Keanu Reeves led john Wick film, but he does make a cameo. But I do think fans of the franchise, I think they'll be pretty happy with this output. It's bloody, it's violent, Anada Amis is kicking some serious.
Speaker 2: But all right now, al Pacino's peck in the Ritual.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Ritual is one of the other two films that are out this week. I don't know why al Pacino agreed to make The Ritual, to be honest, I mean, well, I do know why. It's because he's yeah, he's got child support to pay now that he's got a baby.
Speaker 4: But I would not be going to see The Ritual.
Speaker 3: It is a bad exorcism movie. He plays a priest. I don't need to explain anything else. The other film that is out, though, the great Lilian Hall. I would probably go and.
Speaker 4: Give that one. I would see that.
Speaker 3: That's Jessica Lang, Pierce Brosn and Kathy Bates, a great drama about an aging Broadway actress.
Speaker 4: But yeah, skip the al Pacino movie. Oh okay, believe I'm saying that I.
Speaker 2: Probably would anyway.
Speaker 1: Now let's go to the streaming services on Stan The City is.
Speaker 3: Ours, Yes, this one is out today. The Brits are back with a new crime drama, this time Sean Bean.
Speaker 4: Is it so? I mean, how could you give that a miss it? That's Sean Bean.
Speaker 3: He is playing a cocaine smuggling gangster Ronnie Feelin. He's decided it's time to wrap up his life of.
Speaker 4: Crime and retire.
Speaker 3: That trig is a bit of a power struggle between his business partner Michael and his son Jamie. Michael also has another spanner in the works. He's fallen in love. Everything is now at stake, and a big shipment of cocaine goes missing and their empire is under attack.
Speaker 4: It's a great eight part series.
Speaker 3: All episodes are on stand today and it's already been renewed for a second season.
Speaker 4: So that means you know what's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's going to be all right now. The Survivors is on Netflix.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is their new OSSI mystery drama. So this one is adapted from the great Jane Harper novel of the same name. You know Jane, She's the author of The Dry This one is set in Tazzy and The Survivors follows Kieran Elliott, who's back in his hometown after fifteen years. You know, he left because this terrible storm killed three people. He's been escaping. Is passed for a long time, but when a young woman is murdered, he is forced to face and reconcile his past. This is a big Aussie cast, It's a big Aussie production, all filmed in Tazzy as well. I personally loved the book, so this is top of the list for me for this week and it will be out tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Lucky they filmed it when they did, because you'd have all those political coll flutes going up in the background.
Speaker 2: I think they're often to have another note down there exactly. Apple TV have got a thing called stick Stick.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is a quick comedy to round out the week. This one comes from the always great Owen Wilson. He plays a watched up former pro golfer who was truly run out of luck in life. Things ain't going great, but that is until he discovers a teenager prodigy who might just be his ticket to get his life back on track.
Speaker 4: This one's a bit of fun.
Speaker 3: It's a surprising amount of heart and emotion in it once it gets going. I will just say the first episode I wasn't totally convinced about the series, but because I love Owen, I gave it another episode to get me convinced, and it absolutely did. By episode two, things really get picked up and going.
Speaker 4: By then.
Speaker 3: It's not a total hole in one, but it's an easy, easy watch. And you know Owen Wilson, he's so charismatic and charming that you'll stick around just for him, and that one's streaming.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, Mitch on the text, by the way, says, Anna, your thoughts on the movie Baby Doll with Nicole Kid and I thought it was weird.
Speaker 4: He says, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I did review this one when it came out earlier this year, and I agree. I don't think it totally hit the message that it was maybe trying to hit, and maybe all.
Speaker 4: Of the sex stuff kind of muddy to.
Speaker 2: The water much stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't need to explain it more than that you should see it.
Speaker 2: Well, you didn't give it a great it was sort of when you first did this.
Speaker 3: It is such a polarizing film though. I know people who absolutely loved it, and then there are people like me who were just like what, So, maybe.
Speaker 2: Maybe you will love it.
Speaker 4: I would know it's not fifty shades of gray. I wouldn't put it as that, but it's still weird.
Speaker 2: Different sort of sex stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, different sex stuff.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I still won't see it.
Speaker 1: All right, Anna, I think, hey, you're lost, Oka watch Still your Heart and Steve, I reckon, that'll be an absolute cracker.
Speaker 2: Alright, all the best, Thank you, catching next week. Thank you all the best. Bubbo the one of Atlanta Corde with screen talk