Speaker 1: Back some Time from Back the Side of Time, Bad Back, Lestena.
Speaker 2: So Aboven all a dream, stars above were Olli Gleam. We were only seventeen all but we knew chap wellsbor all the chime. It was apple blossomed time while I held your hand in mine, Our dream came true.
Speaker 1: Time, Back the Hounds of.
Speaker 3: Time, Time.
Speaker 2: The same Time, Back Hardream.
Speaker 3: Let's live it.
Speaker 4: One of your finest recordings, Andrew.
Speaker 5: Thank you. Yes, I must say I'm rather proud of that. There were the days, of course, then Debbie came into my life and things just went a bit of ry. It lives an all nightmare anyway. How are you, Simon, I'm good.
Speaker 4: How have you been?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm pretty good. A little wistful as of yesterday. Okay, it is sort of an nostalgic wistfulness, which is appropriate to this program. Remember when, Yes, it is what caused it? May I ask looking through photos, and not for the quite the reason you're preps thinking. But I've got.
Speaker 4: A looking for evidence, a crime scene photo.
Speaker 5: We have a lot of those photos in the family with chalk marks around the body. We don't know, it's all very probably, No, it could be giggling. Stop it, sorry, because I look at them all and it's sad because a lot of the people I don't know who they are. They once meant something, and then I can I recognize one as my grandmother and she's and it'll just have written on the back of the photograph Barron Bay in nineteen sixty three or something like that. But who's with her?
Speaker 4: Those people?
Speaker 5: And then there's people I know must be relations of mine and they just are not identifying. And then, of course I've got a daughter. Do I pass these photos onto her?
Speaker 4: You do? But then she's going to do what I'm doing to my parents at the moment, because we're also doing photos, are saying who's this mum? That's Lorraine and okay, well that's good.
Speaker 5: Well that's something I never when my parents, or let alone grandmother. My grandmother died sixty years ago. But so they're all gone. There's no one to ask, and I just found myself a little bit sad, like what lives were they were? They did? They have a wonderful time? Who are you exactly? I'd love to know. I'm so well dressed. Everyone's got coats, and all the men coats and ties on and all that is if they're in the city, they've got a hat.
Speaker 4: On and bring that back. I say, I couldn't say.
Speaker 5: I want to see lots of hats. Yes, completely, I'm not the only thing with hats, and I know you love yours. It makes your head a bit hot.
Speaker 4: Well, see, I have no hair, so for me it keeps it warm.
Speaker 5: I suppose there's yeah, I have. I used to have to wear a hat at school. I think they wasn't school where it was it anyway somewhere and I was sweaty hair, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hat hair, hat hair. Yeah, hat hair is a shocker, absolutely.
Speaker 5: But your spared it.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, I just but I get sweatstains in the inside of the hat.
Speaker 5: Year old man. Yes, anyway, I'm sorry about that.
Speaker 4: Have you been Oh good, good good. I've had a lovely week. I'm filling in for Tony McManus the on Thursday and Friday morning, and he's away again.
Speaker 5: That's right, a bit of a flu Listeners. The good news is the Magic Man of Midnight is back. I mean, we love Tony, we want him back, but it's the Owen experience from midnight till five thirty this morning, you've got to stay with him to hear how tired is going to be about four thirty five, I reckon about then you'll be snoring.
Speaker 4: Now it's the three o'clock hour. That's the struggle. Once four o'clock hits, I perk up again. Ah yeah, wow, I'm on fire. Little We must listen to radio.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hey, must listen to raight ou tonight. So many good things happening. Well, am is with us? Very is going to be gracing our prom very soon. Yes, so many battle this lady for our guest. I look through all of her achievements and I've thought, incredible, Why is she bothering talking to us? Well? She got to coming up? Oh yes, business is business. Yes, a lovely lady though. Also we've got, of course Rick Miller with all those antiques and collectibles and paraphernalias.
Speaker 4: Kevin Trask along in the timetime.
Speaker 5: A little bit sad later in the night, isn't it, Simon.
Speaker 4: Yes, Norman Rose going to join us because Marci Jones has passed away. Many people will have seen There's been lots of tributes on Facebook today, So for people who are on social media will have seen the news. But for those who aren't aware Marcy Jones sadly passed away.
Speaker 5: Yeah, lovely, lovely girl. Girl we had as a guest when I first filled in on this propriate.
Speaker 4: Only a couple of months ago. Yes, it's basically three months ago. Marcy was on with us having a chat.
Speaker 5: And it seems to have been quite sudden her passing because in the hell Sun today there's an article about her being ill but not not nothing, sort of as dramatic as you know, she's on the edge of death. But obviously the things took a turn for the worst. Sometime later in the day.
Speaker 4: We'll find out from Norman, because they were very close, very good for for a lifetime, So we'll find out from normally after eleven what he knows. Indeed, now before we do get to our guest day, we've got to do something else. It's this.
Speaker 6: Remember when beat the price rise with the Blind Factory Call one three blinds Now for expert advice, unbeatable deals and a lifetime guarantee.
Speaker 4: That credit was logged as the weekend wrap credit, but it didn't actually say it. So anyway, the weekend wrap for the Blind Factory. Hello Ben, by the.
Speaker 5: Way, Hello, how's it all going, boys.
Speaker 4: Good, good, good. Did either of you do anything interesting? I've not really, I've been working all weekend.
Speaker 5: So Ben straight to you because you've just heard what I did look at old photos from a suitcase.
Speaker 7: Well, I was working this weekend as well, but earlier in the week, which is technically my weekend because that's when my days offer. I did go and see a horror film from Adelaide called Bring Her Back.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, we've seen the trailers for that. That looks terribly scary.
Speaker 7: It's not as scary as you think, but it's more suspense, a suspense and uncomfortable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's probably the best.
Speaker 4: Way, but just don't quite know what's going to happen. The trailer looks really good.
Speaker 7: And the suspense, especially for the first half, is really strong, and then when you get to about halfway you go, oh, okay, this maybe isn't as much as I thought it was going to be. But yes, it's not for the faint hearted, and there's some quite unpleasant moments, let's put it that way.
Speaker 4: Okay, But good work here if you.
Speaker 7: Like, yeah, if you like that sort of thing, or if you like to see the scenery of Adelaide, which does look beautiful in the movie.
Speaker 5: All that sandstone, all that wonderful sandstone they deal with.
Speaker 7: They filmed it in the in the Adelaide Hills, so it's just showing all this beautiful nature and scenery as well. Like they've done a very good job with that.
Speaker 4: It's a pretty silly, yeah, Andrew, anything else to report for your weekend?
Speaker 5: The photos?
Speaker 4: That was it?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 4: So we're done, all right, So we get to a break and get our special guest star. Great. The matter.
Speaker 9: About these.
Speaker 10: Over beside?
Speaker 8: We would.
Speaker 9: Body these are you.
Speaker 10: Session speaking.
Speaker 3: Those peoples?
Speaker 5: For me?
Speaker 4: Andrew would either pash or bedroom eyes. That's uh.
Speaker 11: Look with my personal favorites, can I throw and trust me? Yeah? Yeah, I always like that. I think that might have been the first for our upcoming legend who's right here on the phone with us, Kate, Sobrano, A very good evening to.
Speaker 12: You get.
Speaker 13: A going.
Speaker 4: We're good, Kate, I was saying to Andrew just before that. When you look through well even through Wikipedia and look at all the things you've achieved in your career, you sort of your eclipse John Farnham and people guys like that, with everything you've achieved, it's quite amazing. And I said to Andrew, why would Kate bother talking to us?
Speaker 14: Aha? Oh no, it's good. It's good to get out and chat and promote. I've actually been sort of been on the down load a little bit lately, just waiting to do something a bit special. And something's come up that's kind of special and it's coming together really, really well. And that's when you know. You get back out on the road and you're like, Okay, I want to talk about this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, lovely, do you want to tell us what it is?
Speaker 14: No, I lose today?
Speaker 15: Okay, cool?
Speaker 14: I was giving you belief. Well, it's coming up for about forty years since Australian made the very famous Australian Tour, which by the way, came about because a gauntlet was set down and it was and what they'd sort of claimed was that you couldn't have all Australian cast on an Australian festival and have it succeed. That was what they were saying at the time. And I remember Jimmy Barnes he said, oh, that's a lot of volted and then there was Michael Hutchins and then there but then they put a list of artists of the times, including I'm talking I think you mentioned, but there were the models, the Saints, the Vinyls, there were medal as anything. I mean, the list went on, but basically it was it was in excess and Jimmy and and we all agreed that we were going to go out and show them that Australia could actually show up for itself.
Speaker 5: And we did and did it very well. Took well, you've gotta made two coming up now, good title for it. Of course on the fortieth year, and you start in Bateman's Babe, but you're coming to Melbourne.
Speaker 4: You going to wait?
Speaker 5: In fact, where aren't you going? Every state as far as I can see in Australia, isn't it?
Speaker 14: Well?
Speaker 15: I did.
Speaker 14: I just decided I'm working with my husband on this and we sort of went around regionally with the idea. I haven't been out to the regions in such a long time. It's kind of where I started. And the show it's pretty it's it's basically we get to perform a lot of the material from all the artists that were represented on that trip. And then as I bought it through and over three forty years, we go through to a whole other variety of Australian artists including like really while everything, Paul Kelly, wolf Mother, Megan Washington, Bernard Fanning, you name it. Like, there's just this whole, trawling, fishing line of all Australian music.
Speaker 4: So how do you narrow it down to a playlist that will fit in one concept? Are these just sort of your personal favorites?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 14: I had to choose it on a real personal level and on how the times as I've just and also the people that I've worked with. You know, I'm sad to have to tell you, but mostly all of the headliners, or at least the singers, the lead singers in our past, yeah, the ones standing at Sean and myself and Jimmy of course, yes, And so to be able to play homage to those great artists and know that also, none of it really had to have anything to do with Like it's not like today where you know a bill will be picked because everyone's sort of similar. We had nothing in common and it was so it represents stradia so well because there were punk bands and there were pop bands, and there was rock bands, and that is kind of like the profile of Straliing music. So anyway, I talk about all the people I've met and stories along the way, but I don't. I just perform a lot of the songs and then we re announce it with the reasons why they're important to me?
Speaker 5: Is there going to be a bit of Kate Sobrano and amongst it all?
Speaker 12: Though, of course.
Speaker 14: Does a cut out a bum?
Speaker 5: It's just like.
Speaker 14: I can't I can't not mention how the decades have passed and there was a hit that happened on every kind of passing of every ten years, and yeah, are we definitely doing all those yes?
Speaker 5: Please? Yeah, Well you got as far as Victoria goes, you're going to be in Aubrey. We'll give the well, actually i'll give more detail about how people can find out where you're going to be. But you're going to be in Ringwoods, You're going to be in Frankston, You're going to be in Bending, You're going to you're really doing a lot of work. How's it feel You've been touring that for at least forty years? How does it feel like another gig, another motel and all that you still cope with it?
Speaker 14: Kate, No, this one's very special, Like I'm actually taking out a trio. It sounds pretty bizarre, but we're all multi instrumentalists, so we're kind of we all trade all of the instruments, just the three of us. There's a young girl, Kathleen Hallerin who's an incredible guitarist, and Darren Harts I'm on drums and piano, and we all swap and we all sort of sing and it's just a different sort of stuff. So I'm excited.
Speaker 4: I reckon.
Speaker 14: I mean, really, the key to staying young is to surround yourself with young, inspired people, and at my age, I just really feel it's important to express how important Straliing music is and to give an honor all of the artists that have inspired and kept me in the business for so long. And these kids they went is in born when Australia made happen, and so the audience is I just look, I'm probably speaking ahead of its time. I just really think people are really.
Speaker 17: Going to love this show.
Speaker 14: It's for all reasons. It's everyone's memory with justad Water, Everyone's memories, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, no one better to do it because you've lived there, you lived through it and were part of it. And yeah, now exactly celebrating it all, which is marvelous. So do you tell a story or two in between the songs on stage?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 14: At the we've got like a bit of a sort of setup where there's a VIP kind of experience and I get to talk with them and I explained the history and the context of the songs. Then the show begins and then once we're in it Definitely do Yeah, I definitely do tell about people and what it was like to really like rub shoulders with some of the most important people in Australian music, and what it felt like to be very young and standing in the wings, you know, between Rene Gayer and Chrissy Amphlet or something. There was like there was a dynamic that I learned about women and certainly the differences of women in the seventies based and what they'd been up against. Lots of things like that. Just really interesting stories that have to do with what shape me as an artist.
Speaker 5: Kate. I first became aware of you singing, Oh, I say, yeah, I said, the Georgie Fame thing. Yeah, yeah, that's the song, isn't it?
Speaker 18: Oh my god?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And I was watching TV one night. To be honest, I didn't know you. I didn't know who. I didn't know who I'm talking really was about. But there was this and then most it was this dark haired girl and she's got this big smile and she's moving and she's committed to I thought, who's that? And because there was no name given, it was just this I'm talking and now on to the next act. I can't remember what the show was, and it was and it was turned out that was you. And it's interesting how you've stayed in my mind for years before I actually knew who you were until he went and that was when till he went solo, and then ah, that's that girl. It's the power of smiling is almost.
Speaker 14: He's got like it's it's the way that you let the light out. I mean, it is, That's it.
Speaker 4: I'll chuck in Kate that, yes, this the smell is important, but it's great to have talent to becc it up.
Speaker 5: Yes, but it does help tell it get through all the things.
Speaker 14: No, that's beautiful though, I really appreciate that, and I do. I do think that there are and as I you know, like as I've come through the ranks with people around me like Michael Hutchinson, even see her. For instance, when she was a kid, I'd go to Adelaide and her dad would actually always ask me as I was coming into town, is it okay to see it? Gets up and has a thing Like she was twelve and you could tell you could tell that a person was coming, you know, like you could see that they had something about them that was that was so distinctly different. You could call it ambition, but it's not. It's more like a kind of like a destiny, you know, you just you can feel that they're meant to do it.
Speaker 5: Couldn't agree more. And you've see it on the musical stage. You see it sometimes on a movie screen. Do you think that act to playing that relatively small role and he's really or she's really good, you.
Speaker 14: Know, you just can't take your eyes off exactly what. Yeah, it's definitely. It's definitely in the arts. I think that it's in particular with music, Like musicians either have it or they don't. You know, you can be as technically trained as the next person, but it's that little extra willingness to kind of want to be seen. And I don't think it's very straight in to want to be seen as a rule, like we tend to hide, and we tend to sort of like fall into the shadows and want to be a lot like our friends and not really stick out of the crowd. But for me, as a kid, I found I felt free on stage and I felt like it was the safest place in the room for me. So I just kept gravitating to it.
Speaker 5: It came across, Well, it comes across Kate.
Speaker 14: That's great. I love that. Well, nothing's changed forty years in and I'm still keen as mustards.
Speaker 4: Well that was another question, was is do you still love it as much as you did when it first all happened for you? I guess you must, otherwise you retire and sit at home and do nothing.
Speaker 14: Well, I do have. I think I have a really failsafe sort of mechanism in me that if I'm curious about something, I'll just I'll pursue it. And you know, anyone who lives with me around me knows I won't stop until I actually kind of see it through to the end, the good, bad and the ugly. And I reckon it's kept me going because and I actually see that same thing in Jimmy Barnes. He has the same inexhaustible curiosity, curiosity towards music and entertainment and sort of talking. He's a storyteller. I am too, and we just I think we simply know that our role in life to bring people together, connect to them by music, and give their stories and their memories a bit of a soundtrack. That's what I reckon we do.
Speaker 4: Now, Okate, I have to also ask you, like part of I'm talking solo career TV stage, it all just seems quite natural for you, each of those adjustments in your career, well not adjustments, but each of those movements in your career. Did you find any of them threatening, terrifying, nervous energy or did you just sort of go, yeah, I'll give that a crack.
Speaker 14: I too, find television's really freaky. Like I remember the first time I went and shot something for Getaway, and I did feel a bit like I felt fish out of water. And the guy put me in a field and then from a long distance camera about two hundred meters away, he yelled, okay, action, and you know you've got to put this big dialogue as you're walking to a camera, and you've got to make it look really natural. And I just turned to and I said, what first hell was this? Like I don't understand what I didn't understand, And because of that, I just I didn't think that that was going to be where I ended up like it was. It was sort of nice thing to do while I was waiting for You know, you go in and out of fashion with yourself right over forty years. You also lose interest as well, and sometimes you've got to lead something to come back and it realize you've missed it. And television was just a small moment for me to do something interesting and fun. But I didn't think I was like, I didn't feel like I could be free like I came when I sing, And I realized, like, probably the thing I do best in my life is seeing an interpret music.
Speaker 5: Kate, I always asked, sing is there and musicians too? What was the first record you bought? Do you remember?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 19: I do.
Speaker 14: Actually it was Kate Bush?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, yes, oh, pretty inspirational stuff.
Speaker 14: And I found because of the wonder and the limitless composition of her as a person, as a singer, as a performing artist, there was just if you ever go back and you ever listen to any of her interviews, you realize that she was just again she was just like this kind of very eccentric person who wasn't trying to be like anyone else. And I thought that was pretty cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree, Yeah, very innovative.
Speaker 4: You're both sing in quite a high range.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I you usually joke about her that that, you know, bats are probably her biggest audience. She probably sings things we can't even hear. But you also have a great ability to really pitch up. How do you go with that? Like Cyndy Lauper was another one who sang in quite a high register.
Speaker 14: And I think if the years go over you you your voices like like an instrument or read it changes, and certainly even like you know, after childbirth and stuff where your body's gone through this amazing transformation, all the bellows, everything's changed, all the chambers, and then you know, like my voice isn't at all like that anymore. Like I can do well, for instance, you know the set list, I go from anything from early Models stuff which I sang on as a kid, But then I can also come all the way into singing Rene Gayer or even more. I can, I can, I can do it all. In fact, I reckon you get a bit more. I want to say, there's more depth, and you're kind of more salty. I like it. It's deeper, it's a deeper feeling.
Speaker 5: You're not the only thinger to say that that time has in the since been kind of the voice given a sort of a Melonis that wasn't there when you're eighteen or nineteen.
Speaker 14: That's right, I reckon, yes completely.
Speaker 4: Now we time is almost up. We've got to let you go shortly. We're loving your chat, but I won't pride too much into your private life. But still married and a very talented daughter.
Speaker 5: Daughter.
Speaker 14: I have a really have an incredible family, the three of us, the three little bears. We're really we have a very creative house because she's writing and she's singing. She has her own career, and my husband and I work together and we've been doing that since COVID and we're doing really well with that. In fact, we're touring and promoting and doing all of this ourselves, so we're not going to be a part. And that's another reason why touring is probably not as arduous as it's been in my life, because we just get to do it together.
Speaker 15: It's just the best thing.
Speaker 4: Well, I was at a gig. I was at the launch of something last year. I can't even remember what it was. I got a T shirt out of it. But I was a launch of something and Gypsy was performing there and she was I had no idea that she was related to you, but I was standing there with a group of friends and I said, this girl's really good and they said, oh, gorgeous, and they said that's Kate Sbrano's daughter, and I've got okay, well that's the James.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Well she's beautiful because she doesn't sound like me, so there's like we have. She's got her own distinct character, in her own distinct voice, so there's no comparison. And she's just Also she's just a really lovely performer. So she's yeah, she's just starting and she's on her way.
Speaker 7: She's going to do good.
Speaker 5: Well, it's the Kate Sabrana, a twenty twenty five Australian made tour. It's going to be something else. It kicks off, I mean as of this week in Bateman's Bay in New Southwest, but we've got to speak to Victorian listeners in particular of course Kate, and it hits Victoria. Well, it will be everywhere but in Aubrey. It'll be in Frankston later this month, and in the July, it's going to be all over the place, Bendigo and Ring and all sorts of places, et cetera. Wish all the best with yeah, and wish you all the best with it, Kate, Kate.
Speaker 14: Sbrano dot Come get tickets because they're selling fast.
Speaker 4: That's the easiest way, yes, Kate, sobrano dot com. And don't forget something I learned very early on. It's not Sobrano, it's Seberano when you're spelling it.
Speaker 14: I even said it like Sobrano, Kate.
Speaker 4: Serano dot com.
Speaker 5: Said, Sobrano when you learn something every day.
Speaker 14: Good on you guys, Thank you, chat to you Kate.
Speaker 4: Thanks for your time and good luck with the tour.
Speaker 14: Thanks mate, bye, or should I say mates go bye bye?
Speaker 5: You ask me happy?
Speaker 3: Do you ask me?
Speaker 9: Here?
Speaker 4: My love is green. I gave you the best years.
Speaker 3: Of my life as your warm man. I know I failed to treat you right as.
Speaker 19: You wom.
Speaker 9: Don't let me out, I don't let me.
Speaker 20: I was.
Speaker 21: There to don there you down, Oh there you down there too, down.
Speaker 1: Oh there you doe there to doe.
Speaker 9: Why need another bed? Tell me why I got that album long?
Speaker 3: Tell me why I bet on satiners.
Speaker 22: All you pay on?
Speaker 5: Yes, a man who's trolled the deepest depth of eBay, Rick mill Good evening to you.
Speaker 16: I don't truly eBay Andrew McLaren, now have you know?
Speaker 5: That's what you say publicly? But I know you do. You're even probably doing it as we speak.
Speaker 16: I'm only looking for Elvis records on on the Sun label.
Speaker 5: At a modest price.
Speaker 4: I bet too, of course, or an early Jade Hurly single.
Speaker 16: We know you know you're talking.
Speaker 5: Oh, you bought some absolute beauties in that we could well share our of course the social media.
Speaker 4: Yes, Rick Milne is here if you want to give him a call. Number three six nine three is the number. Get in, Get in early and we'll get you to wear and you can have a chat to Rick about that fabulous thing that is in your possession that you want to share with us. All one double three six ninety three.
Speaker 5: In the meantime, I love the palacco ad that you've said in date from the fifties. I guess it's.
Speaker 16: An actually a footy fixture with that with the lady on it and do you remember the line that they had Palacco. No, not really, she said, Palacco the ment shirts that women admire.
Speaker 5: That is that's right. I had the pleasure of meeting the son of lack of There was mister Peters, mister Lame, and there was their company, and.
Speaker 16: I met the footy fixture and it's got a woman on the front. Yes, very funny and Palacco. Incidentally, very next door of the Palacco factory was in Richmond, was where Scott Palmer lived.
Speaker 4: Is that right next to the factory.
Speaker 16: Next house to the to the factory he lived in the late Scott Palmer. Of course, great writer, Keep on punch and remember that's right what he used to say. The next one is there's a little piece of war propaganda, I suppose you'd call it, and that shows a ship sinking and it says another victim of Sabo talk like I said, sabotage.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, loose lips and chips. Wasn't that was another phrase they used to use, wasn't it, Yes, yes.
Speaker 16: Sebata fort sabbat Savo talk. Next one is a beauty and this is from a client who collects it collects show cards that are in the shape of the product. That's all he collects. Either would if he's got some can a little local soft drink company, it would be in the shape of the cairn. This one is over an osram, which is not from line globes. Yes, and it's as you can see, it's in the shape of the land. Now, the reason that's quite expensive is because it would be very easily damaged. Because if you've got justice, it's got a rectangular card, it's show card, it's going to be fine. But once you get these unusual shapes, of course, it's very easy to get them damaged. To find one of those in really night condition, I reason you have to pay about seven fifty to get another one.
Speaker 4: Good heaven wow. I love the idea of that, the shapes. I thought for a while it might be interesting to start a collection of boxes of things like like chocolate confectory, like Mars bars and life savers and all that. They come in big display boxes and usually there's a perforated edge. You can open it up and fold things up so it looks good in the shop. I thought those would be a good thing to collect. Once upon a time.
Speaker 16: They are, and they also in the earlier time, especially in the old department stores, country open stores in particular, for some reason, they used to have the items in the window, like bars of chocolate and so forth, but they were fake. They weren't real chocolate. They had test there were cardboard on the inside. There is a very example as of a product that's in the shape of the item, but it's not it's made of cardboard. So they used to do that for quite a few things they have. In fact, at one stage I had the dog from his master's voice. In fact I still have it. It's paper mache and it's up to about your hip in height. And of course he was used to listen to the little record player. Besides, that's his master's voice. That's an example of something that's in the shape again, same thing one.
Speaker 5: Double three six nine three. If you have something you would like value it one double three six nine three, Rick is here, please use his talents. Rick is smoking collectibles of that world of smoke and alien I think you'll probably call it. Is that still extent? Is it still something that people do or is it just become a big taboo?
Speaker 16: No, not at all. There are some especially some some tins tobacco tins in particular that are really really valuable. There was one that came out called the file app and it actually had a picture of the racehorse on the on the front of the tin and the kind of a circular part. And there are lots and lots of them of very small brand tobacco tins that will sell for anywhere from five hundred to about fifteen hundred dollars each.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 16: There was one that was brought out in that little town out back town on Queensland by a fellow called his name is Bayless and he and it says on the on the thing Bayless Tobacco x AIFES his Australian Infantry Force.
Speaker 5: So he was he was an x yest something that's that's on the tin. Yeah, Well calls please one double three six nine three is the number or text if you like one double three six nine three. What about ashtrays rick uh with maybe with advertising on them?
Speaker 16: Well there was one, there's one very famous one brought out by Olympic Tires and it was a tire and in the middle of the tire was the glass sp Yes. Remember those I remember they were, yeah, and you still see them occasionally. They were in the shape of the well, it was the tire. So there you go. There's another ruc that's that you if you were collecting, that's in the shape of.
Speaker 4: The product that's adals.
Speaker 16: Yeah, so yep, there are And of course there were those that I remember. I think my grandfather might have even had. One was kind of on a stand and it had a sort of a circular It was a came up from the base and there was kind of a circular area that had where he put his siggies, and then above that there's a little place where his the matchbox went. And then beside that was where the where you put the age of the cigarette.
Speaker 5: That's right, And what about that? There wasn't our family last ray? Were you pressed down in the middle on some the butt out of the way.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 16: It was kind of like a sewerage. You might say, this horrible stuff. You press the button and it all disappears, goes down the bottom, you don't see it anymore. And then of course to have to fill it up and have to empy it all out one of the problems with it, And of course were those that were done wartime. There are quite a few done around the wartime which featured planes aeroplanes, and some of those had astrays on them as well, so they were Ye, there's quite a few. And I have to say, almost all the people that collect what we'll call smoking paraphernalia, almost every every everyone I think I've ever met is a non smoker.
Speaker 4: Is that right? A quick break back with Rick Milne in a moment with your calls one double three six nine three. Rick Milne is here taking your calls. We'll give his number out for those of you who wish to contact him offline tomorrow perhaps, but Sean has called him from Rifle You Rick and Sean.
Speaker 12: Oh good evening, How are you going good?
Speaker 16: Can help?
Speaker 12: Hey? Look I about I'm a first time call and intradition. Yeah, that's a good show. I really enjoying it.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 12: I bought a Queen's Greatest Hit album around twenty five to thirty years ago. It was off a sound engineer who worked out of Abbey Road, and well, you know, like all his wife basically said, get rid of like three hundred albums or enough space for her to at least put her clothing into the wardrobe. And yeah, so we offloaded him. And look at the time he had three hundred up online. He's also sold his passes, so they were all genuine and I checked him out at the time to make sure the dates matched up, which they did. But yeah, I had the four members of Queen who signed it and the things. I'd really like to stick it up, but I'm too worried to do that. I think I'll have to make a copy of it and put it away.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, you certainly don't want it up on a wall or anything because it'll fade.
Speaker 16: Yeah, you's got to be very careful about got to be careful if you have it, if you have it displayed, Sean, you need to do it in a passage way where there is very very little light because the light is the enemy of signatures. But you've got something pretty special there to say. And I've got just the first person for you to speak to if you would care to give us a call after we get concluded here, and we'll give it the number in a minute. So, Sean, you've got something pretty good. And what's happened to all the other records?
Speaker 12: Sadly, I worked at Corners at the time, and I had three little kids and two hundred and fifty four pounds. There was a lot of money for me at that time, and I could only afford to buy that one, so I wish I could have but there but you know, thankfully, you know you just mentioned light. I was going to say, sadly, which is actually intended to be a good thing. My wife would never let me ever put it up in the house and or present it out or anything like that. So I lived in a safe in a box for the last that's never seen light, maybe three or four times in that time.
Speaker 4: You're still married, Sean.
Speaker 12: No, I'm getting the album.
Speaker 4: The album somehow, I just sort of figured that, Cad don't get short's that's that's a great item to have a break. We'll come back and find out what Rick's looking for after this, Rick Milne in forty seconds, what are you looking for.
Speaker 16: Just incidentally on that album? I would think probably a thousand bucks preps a bit more okay going going on, We're looking for Tuckfield's bird cards, but they the person is looking for ones that got blue printing on the back with the information about the birds, okay blue printing, and is prepared to wait three dollars each, which is more than the other who worth for one hundred, So cameras August anything to do with the Argus newspaper, cards or Badgers or anything Scott Sorry, Cox Brothers, which is a sports Dore Scalon's cards and finally advertising show cards.
Speaker 4: Zero four one eight three, three nine one zero three for Rick.
Speaker 9: Mill please get such.
Speaker 21: Looking at those glass and when we made those Bevy.
Speaker 23: The Donkey rides the Seaside rock Remember that new summer fronk.
Speaker 4: The one I ruined when.
Speaker 23: I spilled the tea. Sweet Zuilan still rings it, bell, I heard my ankle.
Speaker 5: Good memories, and we've got plenty of them coming up this hour. Well, I see the face to the left of me. I know it's going to be vintage radio.
Speaker 4: What does that mean?
Speaker 5: It's a couple as it's a bit easy.
Speaker 10: Old, not at all and very nice.
Speaker 4: Way you were.
Speaker 5: Ageless for the all times, remained for all seasons.
Speaker 4: Not that there's anything wrong with it or.
Speaker 5: Not that there in the room being old at all. It's marvelous.
Speaker 4: Andrew is talking of course about Kevin Tresh. Hello boys, Kevin.
Speaker 5: The legend that still walks luckily only just like it could be related to the phantom Yeah walks.
Speaker 10: I used to have those phantom comics and line my bed with the blankets over and a torch and read those comics well into the morning.
Speaker 5: I love the Phantom and my Phantom ring, and I occasionally still go back and try and find it as it's killed the beach Somewhere lost was Phosphorus.
Speaker 10: It was in the green thing that made gload in the dark. Now Mim was just a plain robber one.
Speaker 4: It was the base. You you weren't a real fan then, oh no, sorry, we weren't rich like the Owens were.
Speaker 5: We weren't rolling in dough. He had the leafy eastern suburbs. That's what we weren't.
Speaker 10: He had to write a Piggies point. I'd love to go up the Piggies point and never look at that. What's the name for a little town the suburb Piggy's point, Piggy, Piggy's point, Yeah, Piggy point. It was where's that somewhere in New South Wales. That's where the fanom Briggs are sold. There must must be a mine up there for that Phosphorus.
Speaker 4: I was that like the address that you write to on the bank and the comic in the comics send it off to Piggy's point point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't remember that.
Speaker 10: Speaking you guys haven't lived.
Speaker 4: Speaking of the Phantom, Ben's trying to get us Billy Zay for remember when played the Phantom in the movie. That would be fantastic. Yes, yes, good.
Speaker 10: They should have made another one of those. That was really good, that Phantom movie.
Speaker 5: I don't think it did all that well, keV. That's why they didn't make another one.
Speaker 4: I didn't see it. I didn't it didn't like it.
Speaker 5: No, I like what I did. It was the striped underpants. You know, it's good.
Speaker 4: Well we had that those.
Speaker 5: I never travel without them. Hey, we've got a little segmenty to start things off. It's a little sad we do.
Speaker 4: Now remember when it's time for who Died?
Speaker 8: Kevin?
Speaker 4: And just before we do get into that, we have a text asking for Rick's number. Please repeat slowly Rick's phone number, because we did rush through it at the very end. There zero four one eight three three nine one zero three for Rick Milne Kevin. Who have we lost this week?
Speaker 10: Well, you're going to cover Marcy Jones with Normy later after eleven, which is going to be terrific. And I got such a shock on it. Van that out today. It came from because I did hear the interview that you both did a few months ago with her, and I just don't don't know's She's always been around and I'm sure normally will pay tribute to her between after eleven o'clock.
Speaker 4: I'm going to also I'm staying on to do Midnight to Dawn again filling in for Tony McManus. So I'm going to replay that interview at some point tomorrow wonderful, and I'll be joined by Gavin Wood at midnight as well. Love to talk about MARSI, Well, I'm going to talk about Loretta Switt.
Speaker 10: She played my major Margaret hot Lips Hulahan in mash for I think from nineteen seventy two to nineteen eighty three, and she only missed a couple of episodes. She was a stage actress and did things like Mame with Susan Haywood, and she played Gooch. And she also did one of the Pigeons sisters in the Odd Couple with Don Rickles and Ernest Borgnine, playing the Odd Couple that would have been in the stage black that would have been played Dad, and I would have loved that. So she did a lot of stage work before she got into television. She worked in a lot of different television shows over the years, and I thought she was lovely. So I did interview her. I think it's probably about ten years ago or something like that. And when the interview finished, we got talking and she did a show called ten six Dance Lessons in six weeks and she toured that through England through America, and she said, I'd love to bring that to Australia. Could you help me? So I got onto people like Dennis Smith and a few other producers, but I couldn't but any enthusiasm. So I said, I'm sorry, Loretta, I enthusiasm for Loretta's switch.
Speaker 4: Well you've done well. Yeah, well you've got to invest the money first. So then, but anyhow, that's what happened. Asked, are you would have put a cuff up some of the Owen's fortune that Andrew was talking about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he might pawn the Owen's emeralds. Have you seen them? It's one of the greatest collections of emeralds in the world. They're famous in lily Dale.
Speaker 4: Oh, that would be marvelous if you could do all the.
Speaker 5: Lily Dale thrills to missus. Owen's going down the street for shopping with a little string bag of those emerald rings.
Speaker 4: That's exactly had Loretta.
Speaker 10: Switch won two Emmy Awards for Mash. Yes, and I love it. It's on Jim episodes. They've taken the episodes and they've blown them up on the big screen, so there's no lines on side and all that sort of the four four point three, the old format, and they look terrific. They's like us watching it all over again.
Speaker 4: I just love the show. It was a great show. I watched two clips today of Loretta as Margaret Yes on YouTube. I looked for my two favorite clips and I found them. The one where she has an argument with the nurses because they never invited her to anything, and she played that scene so beautifully. We have tears and a whole lot. And the other one when the dog dies and she loses it over that time. Oh yeah, great acting. She's fabulous. She was fabulous.
Speaker 10: Anyhow, I did speak to Lauta Switch about the closing or the ending of Mash in nineteen eighty three. Well, you won two Emmy Awards, which is a magnificent achievement. And that final episode watched by more than he They say more than one hundred and twenty million people, which is a massive viewing audience. And I believe you all went and watched the film of that over a party when it concluded.
Speaker 13: I'm trying to remember if we were actually seeing it together. We spent so much time together.
Speaker 18: We know some stuff that you as.
Speaker 13: An audience couldn't possibly know.
Speaker 15: But there was a raging.
Speaker 13: Fire over at where we were planning to shoot much of the much of the final episode, and so we had to rearrange our schedule. And in point of fact, when we wrapped, when we finished, we were wrapping a different show. We were not. We were not wrapping up on Goodbye, Farewell and Amen.
Speaker 18: So it was so you know, we we knew all that, but the weeks, the weeks before our imminent closing, we were always together.
Speaker 13: It was bittersweet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they yeah, resting place. She was only eighty seven and dot at home, very sad. Anyone else, No, I've got no one else to mention now, but there was no I don't remember her. But there's a lady who's passed, who's been in a lot of TV shows, Valerie Mahaffey. Now I don't. I can't place her. Looking at a picture of her, she looks vaguely for me.
Speaker 5: She's a Desperate Housewives.
Speaker 4: I know that Desperate Housewives. She was in Young Sheldon, National Lampoon's Senior Trip Northern Exposure, which I loved, and I don't remember her in that and some other shows as well.
Speaker 5: But a good character actress, not really a star. No, I've got a lot of work as a character person.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fair enough, But yeah, I thought better mention her otherwise we'll get a text saying you didn't mention her. So there we go. All right?
Speaker 10: Have you seen any shows or anything? Keaven No, No, I've been fairly quiet on the Western front. I haven't seen any shows this week. I'm actually batching my wife and daughter overseas, so I'm very quietly at home watching a lot of football, watching foot.
Speaker 4: What are you eating? Oh?
Speaker 10: Food has been prepared. We've got to refrigerator full of frozen dinners which I hop into at a lovely one tonight, lamb and vegetables. It was beautiful and so yeah, I'm I'm okay. I think I'll survive. I'm a big boy. Now, have you changed your underpants? On a regular base.
Speaker 5: Yes, I have, thank you, Yes, because I know that your wife before she left said to me, she gave me a little text message, please ask.
Speaker 10: I asked her not to do that. You know I couldn't stop her. I apologize over that.
Speaker 4: I would have thought you would have had mcdouden and I over for a few beers. And yeah, fetup of the couch.
Speaker 10: That means cleaning up the house the day before they come back. I'm getting clean up the house.
Speaker 4: Well, we're not coming for that, Okay, all right, let's let's get Trask's Time Tunnel underway. In about three minutes from.
Speaker 6: Now, Kevin Trask's Time Tunnel. Beat the price rise with the Blind Factory. Call one three blinds Now for expert advice, unbeatable deals and a lifetime guarantee.
Speaker 4: It's time to go back and remember the people, events and.
Speaker 8: Music to the soundtrack of our.
Speaker 6: Lives with Trasks Time Time.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is time for the time tititle on thread early on. I remember when this Sunday night with Kevin orts a pivotal year for me. I see too, We're about to enter the year that I succumbed to primal urgers, and I'll leave it at that I.
Speaker 4: Think didn't lead to charges or.
Speaker 5: No, no, thank you, none of your sort of showbiz muckiness. No no, I just gave myself to the limbo in that particular year, and I found myself down at the Elwood Beach doing limbo. But anyway, Kevin nineteen sixty three, what's the matter?
Speaker 10: I can't be I tried to do the limbo of the limbo snick on he broke me back.
Speaker 5: Oh no, No, I was something of a master of limbo.
Speaker 4: You must have been very fit at the incredibly supple. He was so good. I've seen pictures. He was so good. The only thing that stopped him being the world champion was the fact that his male Yeah, just sort of the.
Speaker 10: Bar said really okay. Nineteen sixty three, Oh.
Speaker 5: You've got to crime.
Speaker 10: You're right there, brought back this pysic people.
Speaker 4: Oh would love to have seen that.
Speaker 5: It's a bitter sweet, buddy, It's bitter sweet.
Speaker 7: Look, do you have me to get a stick out and see if.
Speaker 4: You can No, we're going to do the time tunnel.
Speaker 10: Well it's sixty two years ago, nineteen sixty three, and the event was the release of the film It's a Mad Mad, Mad, Mad World, Almost Mister Mad then an American comedy film.
Speaker 5: I love this wonderful movie.
Speaker 10: Yeah, terrific and my fabulous cast.
Speaker 5: It had everyone in it.
Speaker 10: Everyone you can imagine at that time was in it. You had Buddy you Hacket, Milton Beall, Sid Caesar ethel Merman, Dorothy pra Sncer, Tracy Spencer. Tracy was the lead, and Mickey Rooney was in it. Everybody was in it. And it was in Cinerama, which is you know the plans a picture theater underneath the region down up there in the Colin Street. That was the Cinerama screen that operated there. So they only played it there and it was on for months and months and months and months. And all those Cinerama films were terrific because they had the three screen process with three projectors.
Speaker 4: There's massive screen. You felt like you were in the film.
Speaker 10: But this particular one, it's a mad, Mad, Mad Mad World, was a great comedy. And I spoke to Dorothy Provine. She played ethel Merman's daughter. Was She came to Australia in nineteen sixty one when Frank Sinatro as part of his tour. I only went to Sydney of course, but she has.
Speaker 4: Passed on now. I thought she was lovely, didn't you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she was in a TV series called something.
Speaker 10: Yes, it was called the Roaring Twenties, and she was pinky. She was pinky in that and she sang a song every week and she was marvelous.
Speaker 5: She was rather good. And that's why she was here with Frank. And that the only reason why she came out with Frank.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 10: They might have been out here to practice the limbo. I wasn't exactly sure. Judges, guests, celebrity judges. Yeah, so you could have should have kept that career up. Would much better than teaching.
Speaker 5: You just stopped talking about it.
Speaker 10: It still hurts, buddy, Okay, mate, I'm terribly sorry.
Speaker 4: He's right there, mate. You hit that bar rather hard. That's right. Okay. Well, here we are.
Speaker 10: I'm talking to Dorothy Provine about the film It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Mad Woolves in nineteen sixty three. You played opposite Milton Burle and ethel Merman. Ethel Merman played the mother from Hell, one of my favorite classic films. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Mad World.
Speaker 4: You played the daughter, and I think Dick Sewan played.
Speaker 8: Your brother, Yes you did.
Speaker 5: Huh what was it?
Speaker 4: What were the memories of that one?
Speaker 22: Oh, chare absolute care for months wells of ally spared desert and uh for I don't I don't even remember how long. It was very hot and I'm not supposed to go out in the sun. I got such a palekin and everything that that was a problem. Uh, A bunch of mad people. Really I liked. I liked everyone. They were all funny. But they all would come to me and tell me how everybody else was doing something wrong, but they had it right. And I don't know why they came to me, but Milton would come, and you know, it was very strange. They were competitive, but then I must say a nice way. No one really got mad or angry or anything.
Speaker 4: But she was terrific, wasn't she.
Speaker 5: Very pretty girl? Yes, and I remember quite fondly, not that she was a huge star, but she she did make any admistration.
Speaker 10: Yes, And I reckon Ethel Murmur would have stirred up that cast because she was pretty tough, the Ethels she was.
Speaker 4: Yes, she was tough. Yes, absolutely quick Quiz time, Kevin quick quiz boys, Are you ready? Yes?
Speaker 10: Gun Smoke was a popular television series or western in nineteen sixty three. It starred James RNs as Marshall Matt Dillon. What was the name of the town where the series was set. Was it a Dodge City, B, Tombstone, C, Virginia City or D Santa Fe. Where was the series Gun Smoke sets in that town that they were throughout the whole series for about ten seasons or something.
Speaker 4: Well, I have no idea because I am too young to remember.
Speaker 5: I'm going to say Santa Fe. Be my guess, Santa Fe. I think it's that Western fielder like. I don't really know the answer at all. No, No, I saw the show a couple of times. It was about it.
Speaker 4: I watched it all.
Speaker 5: I know it was a hugely popular show.
Speaker 10: Mister that's remember, and mister Dillon, that's going to Delan.
Speaker 4: I'm leaning toward Tombstone. Tombstone could a sound sort of cartoony, and.
Speaker 7: I just I'm going to agree with Simon on Tombstone because I just think it's a great name in town and especially for a series like there was another TV series.
Speaker 5: Called Tombstone Territory of Moonstone Territory.
Speaker 4: Up back where I want to be.
Speaker 8: And that was it.
Speaker 5: So I don't think you're going to be right, because they wouldn't have to.
Speaker 10: Anything is possible in Hollywood.
Speaker 4: Well I'm going to leave it in Okay, all right, we already Ben and I are both going Tombstone, Andrews going Santa Fe.
Speaker 10: Okay, Well, it wasn't Virginia City, so that one was wrong. Sadly, Andrew, it wasn't Santa Fe. And Simon and Ben I had to break this news to you and it wasn't, so no one got it. It was Dodge City, Dodge City. A lot of things happened in Dodge see that's right.
Speaker 5: And later on, of course it became famous for making cars.
Speaker 10: Yes, of course, as you do.
Speaker 4: Wonderful Now television should we get into television? In nineteen sixty three?
Speaker 10: On TV in nineteen sixty three, we were watching the Danny Thomas Show, which was originally Make Room for Daddy, and then they changed the title and then they changed the cast and it was on ABC Television and it starred Danny Thomas, so they called it the Danny Thomas Show.
Speaker 4: The new series Smart Move. It was hard to write out the lead actor.
Speaker 10: Then, yeah, I was all filmed in black and white, and he made a deal with Desilu's Studios to film it there, which was the same studio as they used for I Love Lucy with the three cameras and terrific filming. Marjorie Lawrence was Marjorie Lawrence, Marjorie Lord. Yeah, Marjorie Lord was the one who played the wife in the show, or Danny's wife.
Speaker 4: Yes, and Marjorie Lord.
Speaker 10: Died around about twenty fifteen at the age of ninety seven, but prior to that I spoke to her this.
Speaker 5: Little difficulty Thomas.
Speaker 24: Here it is darring Danny Thomas, also starring Marjorie Orne and his wife, Rusty Hammer and their son, and John Cartwright.
Speaker 8: As their daughter.
Speaker 10: Well, you mentioned some of the guests you had on that program, Marjorie, and I'd just like to touch on a couple like Lucille Ball and desion Is.
Speaker 4: You had a lot.
Speaker 10: Well, you appeared on their show and there was quite a bit of interaction with those two. And one are your memories of Lucille Ball and.
Speaker 4: Desion Is Well.
Speaker 25: I wrote about that a little bit in my book, and Dassy was quite brilliant and people didn't realize that he really ran that Desilu studio, and I was impressed in when he would rehearse the scene the first time, he had quite an accent, but he never had to repeat it, and he'd come back to do a second rehearsal. He'd know all the lines. He never looked at the script. Lucy was the opposite. She wanted to rehearse and rehears and rehearse, and we did. She liked to go over things, but she was brilliant. She knew where every camera and where the house would be lit, and how to move and when she was with it, Daddy, you know, kind of let her make all the decisions she wanted to make. Lucy was quite serious in her personal life. She could be so funny, but sometimes she'd be very open and friendly, and other times she seemed to be preoccupied. But she was a great.
Speaker 4: Artist, wonderful.
Speaker 10: I loved Lucia Bull. I thought she was terrific. Yeah, she could have mailed a little bit of a problem.
Speaker 5: I was going to say, Mattrey Lord wasn't obviously that fond of her.
Speaker 10: Oh you didn't feel that from that?
Speaker 5: She said, No, I wasn't getting a gush of emotion. The positive emotion about.
Speaker 10: Him was I no, No, that's true, that's true.
Speaker 5: Anyway we move on, Yes, yes, that's okay.
Speaker 10: Yes, And who remembers Alan Rowe? And Kimbo was Kimba. Kimba was the white Lion.
Speaker 5: Oh, yes, you get things a little bit, sup.
Speaker 10: Was the contributions appreciated?
Speaker 5: I'm going so well tonight, Kimbo the Koala. I don't remember Alan Rowe. I don't do you remember him at all?
Speaker 10: Did you watch the Tarak Show with Jerry g and Ron Blasket and all those people, and Phil was Prince Philip.
Speaker 4: Yes, and your uncle comp.
Speaker 5: That was funny when Jeff Core competed, because he did it for adults, it was felt he was actually playing tonight. He was doing it for eight year olds. But the way he was speaking was really as a man who would be comparing imt Yes, it was very funny that way.
Speaker 4: Well, Elean Roe did a lot of acting.
Speaker 5: He was I'm sorry, Oh no, that's fine, I've reached the end of the tether.
Speaker 10: Edg ed Ellen ROI was a friend of mine and he worked at GTV Channel nine for a number of years in that Terek show. But here is a Kimbo the Koala Allan's faithful companion and they're working together right now.
Speaker 16: Tell me, Kimbo, what are you going to sing for the girls and boys?
Speaker 26: Now?
Speaker 27: Well, I'm going to sing two little songs I wrote myself.
Speaker 16: Two little songs you wrote yourself.
Speaker 8: That's very clever.
Speaker 5: Of him, isn't it girls and boys that Kimbo can write songs?
Speaker 8: What are they called, Kimbo?
Speaker 14: Well, the first one.
Speaker 27: Is called I'm a little football Fan.
Speaker 26: And what about the second one?
Speaker 27: That's cool?
Speaker 3: The little tug song.
Speaker 27: I'm a little I'm as happy as can be. Love to watch your football match.
Speaker 3: Was hitting at my dream.
Speaker 27: When the whistle blues, I always shout as long as I can. You're holding the ball, breaking, breaking, find a little movement. I'm a little football man. I'm as happy as can be. I love to watch your football match. Was hitting at my dream.
Speaker 3: When the whistle.
Speaker 9: Goes, I always shout.
Speaker 1: As lone as like you're holding.
Speaker 9: The new drinking ringings.
Speaker 1: I'm a little mud.
Speaker 4: I think we've just found three a w's new footy theme for next season. Ye how good is that? To be good? Isn't that wonderful?
Speaker 26: Yes?
Speaker 10: Ellen unfortunately has passed on now but I'm sure he'd be happy for you to users.
Speaker 4: So was that a vent act? So that was that allan doing both for y?
Speaker 10: Yes, of course, Yes, he's a ventriloquist and yeah, a very good performer.
Speaker 4: And why have I not heard of him? Mental now? Like Ron Blasket was the ventriloquist, I didn't know there were others.
Speaker 10: They got around, there were a few of them, a few of them years. But he used to be in the panomimes, remember the Tarik Sure Panamimes. I used to do them live on a Christmas time.
Speaker 5: I not really. I wish I could say yes, but I can't. You were in Victoria, Yes I was. I didn't. I didn't watch the Tarik Show, just never seeing Jeff Cork occasionally. I don't know. I was a little too sophisticated for you, Kevin everything.
Speaker 10: I watched the test bat and I never missed anything.
Speaker 4: A five year old Andrew would have been watching four Corners on the ABC or something like that.
Speaker 5: Was sitting back in a smoking jacket, you know, with watching Noel Coward plays.
Speaker 4: Reading the Financial Review that's right, yeah, disgusting the equities of the world. Okay, checking out his share portfolio, right, that's but it was good thought, that was really good. Good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, should we take a break.
Speaker 4: I think. So we're in Trask's time tunnel and we're about to look at the shows of nineteen sixty three.
Speaker 10: Well, there's a new book out on Lee Gordon, who was the American producer who bought the Big Stars to Australia, and it's called Lee Gordon Presents by Jeff Apter and it's available in all Good books shops. Pete Smith told me about this book and I'm going to have to get a copy of it because I'm fascinated with all that because I was at all those shows. Yes, straight after the Tarak show, I'd go straight down the Festival Hall, get your tickets. Tickets.
Speaker 4: He's going to be our guest on Sunday, the sixth of July. I remember when to talk about the book.
Speaker 5: Oh marvelous.
Speaker 10: Oh that's true. I'm thrilled to bits to hear that. And of course the Lee Gordon Big Shows was where Johnny O'Keeffe got his break and became famous. And I spoke to Pee Weee Wilson from the Delltones about Johnny O'Keeffe.
Speaker 28: I'm ever since we met Darling, I've been keeping school.
Speaker 10: Well, it was a fabulous hero when you when you did those League Wooden shows. I can still see the Dell Tones and Johnny o'keeff on stage in my memory. But what are your memories of working with Johnny o'kings.
Speaker 20: Well, he was a most interesting character of because as we're in hindsight we look back on his on his relatively short career in the sense that he truly was a dynamic performer and there was something that all of us in the in the up and coming artists in that early period, we're we're looking towards Johnny Keith as a mentor and certainly he had a natural stagecraft. We never ever viewed him as being one of the great singers of of of the business, but certainly had all other aspects going. And of course the one thing that we all admired abou about him most was it was his commitment to the business.
Speaker 4: I love pee Weee Wilson just adore me too. Yeah, I think it's terrific. That was a great interview you did with him a couple of months ago, or maybe it was last year. I think it was late last year. We'll have to get him on again. Here you will, because he's full of stories and he's terrific.
Speaker 5: Who tired in nineteen sixty three?
Speaker 10: Cave quite a few, Sabo said on top of the Elephants, Oh, the movies, movies, Zazu, Pits, Dick Powell, and Patsy Cline. Patsy Cline was killed in a plane crash in nineteen sixty three. She was at the peak of her career. She was a country singer. She had a lot of hits. She had a twang in her voice.
Speaker 5: And a sober voice.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and I thought she was terrific. And I love this song by Patsy Cline.
Speaker 4: Crazy crazy.
Speaker 5: I am crazy for feeling.
Speaker 3: Slowly, I'm crazy.
Speaker 9: Crazy for feling.
Speaker 3: So I lo, you love me as love as you Barty, and then some day.
Speaker 5: You leave me for somebody.
Speaker 1: Worry?
Speaker 3: Why do I let myself worry?
Speaker 8: Wonder?
Speaker 3: What in the world did.
Speaker 5: Wonderful sounded the letters?
Speaker 4: Don't you love the backing chorus there? Yeah, fantastic, Sorry Andrew, what you're saying?
Speaker 5: No, no, just what I just should mention too in passing that when the plane crashed into the mountain, two other great country stars died in the plane with the hawkshaw Hawkins and cowboy capes.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, there were three of them lost to us that day. All right, mystery voice, this is the most challenging part for you.
Speaker 4: Really, I know you're worry about this from you.
Speaker 5: Know it starts on a Sunday morning.
Speaker 4: Oh no, it's coming on the chills, get you.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: What I love though, is the suspense that envelops Andrew and it consumes him. Well, we take a break before we get to it. It's mystery voice time. As Andrew was discussing just prior to the break, Kevin Trask is going to play us a mystery voice. We're going to try and guess who it is, and we want you to do the same. But you answer by texting your answer to us. Zero four double seven six nine three six nine three is the number for you to text Kevin.
Speaker 8: Is do we have a clue?
Speaker 4: Do we have a clue? It's a male. The boys watch the girls while the girls watch the boys who watched the.
Speaker 5: Girls go by.
Speaker 16: Less all of it could be able to make this sing, which is the name of the game.
Speaker 29: Watch a guy watch a team on it.
Speaker 8: He's street to.
Speaker 28: Tip up the down add over as Rob hands.
Speaker 4: Girls time.
Speaker 3: It happens everywhere.
Speaker 9: I was watching the girls walk.
Speaker 4: Well, well, well I've got nothing to The song is music to watch Girls go By.
Speaker 5: It was a hit as a vocal and as an instrumental from memory.
Speaker 4: Okay, is it that's your answer?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 5: Andy Williams had the hit version of it as a vocal obviously, but who that is? I have no idea.
Speaker 4: Is it an Australian? Yes it is.
Speaker 10: Oh, that's a very Your first question was a zinger.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's that's the first thing I thought I would have got that. It sounded like an ausy singing to me.
Speaker 5: Is he more known as a singer or was he known as a singer? Yes, Ben anything something.
Speaker 4: Still hard for Ben. It's nineteen sixty three. Known as a singer, but all other methods of entertainment. Was he an actor as well? Not an actor? Not an actor? A television host not a television host, radio host.
Speaker 5: Yes, so as we're talking this jockey, we are talking this is jockey. Yes, so we're going to be talking sixties. Graham Webb No, oh damn it.
Speaker 4: Jim Woody would no, Jeff Manyon no, Banks, No, no, Claudia. No, no, it's a male.
Speaker 20: Ye.
Speaker 10: This is remarkable. You've come this far. I am very impressed with both of you.
Speaker 4: Peter Allen, No, not Peter Allen, Ken Fred.
Speaker 10: Not can Fred.
Speaker 4: Other radio personalities from the era. Grantly D. This is Grantly D. Well, where was that from?
Speaker 10: That's from an I m t was it really from a collection from Dorothy Baker? And I was transferring some songs of Dorothy's off the real real tape and on Hare's Grantly D another.
Speaker 4: Ah, that's one.
Speaker 10: It's a great mystery. And yeah, that is incredible.
Speaker 4: Well you picked that well, it was lucky in the clues, like to narrow it down to somebody who's known for singing, Yes, but also a radio a good guy, because I was going to go Stan Rowe, Yes. I was just trying to think of anyone from the sixties. I could think of Alan Lappin. I was just going to throw out any name until I got them. What was Grantly to his big hit? That money had their the Little Girl Dan, She's.
Speaker 5: Something like that. I just can't remember it now. That's it. That was it, I got it, But it was it was a great hit for him, and he was just to explain to people who don't know. Of course, he was not cited, Yes, exactly, and he had quite a career as the radio career and the singing career.
Speaker 4: I think I was totally blind, wasn't he?
Speaker 20: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It was terrific. It was really good.
Speaker 10: How did the listeners go? Did anybody out there in listening land get this?
Speaker 4: Well, we've had quite a few. Someone suggested, Mark Trevarro, It does sound like Mark Travarro doing a parody a type thing above down type thing. Jerry Seinfeld, Barry Crocker, Don Nott's, Jimmy Hannon all good, guess yes, But the first one to correctly guess was Sue of Q, who correctly guests grandly, so well done, so well done, excellent. That was really good. Yeah, yeah, very happy with that. So am I all right? We've got a minute to have a look at the films of nineteen sixty three, please Kevin, Well, there was a big one came out.
Speaker 10: I can I mention I'm watching it came from Out of Space, which is on Foxtelle or Max whatever it's called.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Richard Carlson, and it's terrific.
Speaker 10: Black and white from nineteen fifty three and I'm absorbed with it.
Speaker 5: It's really really a space monster alien movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it came from out of space.
Speaker 5: Did Richard Carson ever make an A grade movie? I know everything he made at titles.
Speaker 10: Like that, and I discovered something. I say this very quickly. I thought it was in The Creature from Black Lagoon. But at the Grand in Cobourg, there's a scene in a film where the Richard Carlson standing on screen and somebody puts their hand out from the left hand side of screen and taps him on the shoulder, and we all went, well, it was in It came from out of space. And I jumped up on the couch. Took me right back.
Speaker 5: It did to the he's living alone. He's very nervous in the house. I am, I am, I am, but it's a bit of a scaredy cat.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I've got the dog to protect me.
Speaker 4: With the light on the fridge open.
Speaker 10: It's all Missy Birds came out of nineteen sixty three, the Alfred Hitchcock film with Tippy Hedron. Was it Tippy Hedron? And we had Rod Tayler, Jessica Tandy you or big cast. It was a terrific movie, as most of Hitchcock's films were scary. But I spoke to Tippy Hedron about the birds. I'd like to go to the scene in the attic where they threw all those birds at you when.
Speaker 19: You well, I don't ever want to go there.
Speaker 4: I bet you don't.
Speaker 10: But that was pretty traumatic for a first film.
Speaker 4: To be in a scene like that, you know what?
Speaker 19: What you know? When I when I was reading the script, I said, you know how how I couldn't ask? I mean, how are you going to do this scene? And he said, oh, don't worry, We're going to use mechanical birds. Fine, no problem. Actually it was a very kind thing he did. However, there was no intention of using mechanical birds, and I didn't know about the real ones until the morning we were to start filming that scene. And I walked out onto the set and there was a cage built around that door that I walk in, with three huge boxes of ravens and seagulls and a few pigeons thrown in and and there were three pop men who had great big gauntlets up to their shoulders and which they alternately started hurling at me. And it took five days to do that scene.
Speaker 4: Were you very brave to be?
Speaker 19: That's all I can say, Gray, That's what That's what Carrie Grant said. He came on Wednesday and he said, you're I think you're the bravest lady I've ever met, and I don't and I don't know if that's the.
Speaker 25: Word for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wonderful, good story. Now we've got to get to a break so we can come back with the popular songs of sixty three.
Speaker 5: All right, the final few minutes of Trask's time total nineteen sixty three of the year, and the songs were.
Speaker 10: You be in your element here Andrew Dominique, who's singing that the singing nun very good could start? Go away, little girl.
Speaker 4: Steve Lawrence correct, he's so fine. The chaffon correct, that.
Speaker 5: Was the one George Harrison got himself into trouble about. Oh that's right, it is too hey, Paula, paul and Paula correct.
Speaker 4: It's my party and I'll cry if I wanted.
Speaker 5: Are correct? Whose father was a multi millionaire bikini manufacturer.
Speaker 4: How about that? I will follow him? The not the Chaffon's again, it was the no the somethings, No, no, No, it was little Peggy March.
Speaker 10: I was a little piggy mat. You're both on one hundred percent. Let's not break the bond here.
Speaker 4: We're doing well. Our day will come.
Speaker 5: Yeah. The Toothbox at Buffalo slle Uh, Ruby and the Romantics.
Speaker 4: Wow, sukiyaki, sukiyaki kyo second motto kayo good.
Speaker 5: He's good any because you weren't even born.
Speaker 4: No, he's a world before my time.
Speaker 20: Uh.
Speaker 4: Surf City, Jan and Dean correct walk like a man the Frankie Valley in the Four Seasons. Yeah thereue that move, baby move j okay correct, proud of you, Thank you, j Justin Now that's when I thought would get you guys. But you've got it well.
Speaker 10: Two more ago now, just concentrating missing, there's going to be one hundred percent got news in thirty seconds, fifty five days of peaking rob ee G and Royal Telephone, Jimmy little one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Well done, boys.
Speaker 10: I loved Helen Shapiro and I love no trespassing and.
Speaker 4: We love you Kevin, thank you for all you do. Where we're going next would come with me to nineteen fifty five. Beautiful as.
Speaker 5: Memory's pressed between the pages, of my mind.
Speaker 4: Memory.
Speaker 5: He's Sweden through the ages, just like what quiet thoughts come floating down and subtle.
Speaker 17: Softly through the ground, like gold hornab.
Speaker 3: Leaves around if.
Speaker 5: I touched them and they burst of by Elvis kicks off this hour. Remember when on three A w this first of Jane, though I pinched punch first of the month and all that first I winter has begun pretty miles so far. I can't complain, Yes, but I have had the electric blanket on a few times. Yes, switched on last week. I think for the first time for this year, we've got a power packed rather sad hour. Unfortunately, because in case you haven't heard, the great late singer Melbourne singer, so many dancers, so many TV appearances, Marcy Jones of Marsi and the cookies and all the other things she's manifested herself in passed away last night. I'm right out, Yes, I believe it was yesterday. Yes, And a great friend of hers, a great booster and mentor of Marsy's, Normy Row, wanted to pay tribute, and we'll be doing so very shortly on this station and also later on the Morven Purpose and happy and note will be with us with his quick with the quick quiz is quick quiz, and of course your calls will get those all in.
Speaker 4: But we've also got this too, the montage. We'll get this out of the way very quickly here. So what we want you to do is take part in this. We're going to play a montage of songs. Each of these songs. Excuse me, I get emotional talking about at the montage. Each of these songs were a hit in the charts in one particular year. They were all collectively hits in one particular year. We don't ask the year the songs were released, because some of them will have been released the year before. But once you know what year all of these songs were together in the charts, shoot us a text on zero four double seven six nine three six nine three, and we'll read out the first ten who correctly guess.
Speaker 26: Should we have Let's begets.
Speaker 3: Cos you.
Speaker 8: Is it a place.
Speaker 1: And you know study you are an agent. You are an agent.
Speaker 9: Stuf it sudden word it's going sometimes. I'm just saying.
Speaker 3: That's a power.
Speaker 22: They have you in the side.
Speaker 5: Pas come to.
Speaker 8: You, don't you?
Speaker 4: I got you big, I got you bick can you fucking.
Speaker 8: We got fo this song.
Speaker 4: My grid, got some kitchens, the lever.
Speaker 9: And a watch all my love.
Speaker 29: It's a band the live by Gods, away.
Speaker 9: One night and back up to the world. The most temples but themple say it's nearly time.
Speaker 8: We will leave them.
Speaker 12: We'll have one more on the road.
Speaker 9: Don't me nothing, see.
Speaker 1: Not get shanigh yourself.
Speaker 8: Because you have him.
Speaker 10: Some grasses had.
Speaker 5: To be ten feel it too.
Speaker 26: It didn't feel it too.
Speaker 1: Feel that he's a guy.
Speaker 16: Coming soon.
Speaker 1: It's in the state.
Speaker 8: The US was.
Speaker 9: The US USA, the US bills PiZZ together.
Speaker 4: When what a great song. Models. We spoke to Kate Sobrano earlier, we.
Speaker 5: Did today, and what a pleasure it was to speak to it.
Speaker 4: Who did vocals with them? With Models? I was going to say the Models, But the band was called Models.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's right. That became a bit piss at one point, didn't it. You've never had bands called I mean, in the fifties and sixties it was the Beatles, the Stones and the Diamonds. Whatever. Look, I tell you, by the time we get to the seventies and eighties, just one word for the band.
Speaker 4: I keep a list of talkback topics and I've got a particular sub section of music later talkback topics. I'm going to add I might do it. I might do it in mid dawns. So bands with.
Speaker 5: The in the title, it'll go on all night? Fair enough.
Speaker 4: Anyway, So do you want to have a stab Andrew at what?
Speaker 19: You know?
Speaker 5: It's eighties and I've got the mid eighties eighty four, five or six?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, butt in the middle eighty five is exactly right. Well done to you.
Speaker 5: Where the world was the giveaway?
Speaker 4: It is a bit, isn't it?
Speaker 27: Yeah?
Speaker 10: That?
Speaker 4: And do they know it's Christmas? Both of them in that one? Yeah, one inspired the other. Ashley if East Doncaster was first to correctly guess well done. Susie of karen Beach was second, Andrew of Dandy, Noong, Rachel and Kilmore. All the regulars are here, Michael in Sorrento, Rob of Richmond, Chris in Adelaide, Goico of Mount Waverley, John of Packenham and Pierre from Seaford. Well done to the you guys. You were the first ten out of dozens upon dozens who correctly guess night.
Speaker 5: And of course we know because a listeners and Uncle Andy and Uncle Simon know that you haven't cheated and gone to your Google machinery, no to established that.
Speaker 4: Year, and you haven't. You haven't made lists of of of what all the montages are that because this is the third time round we've done the montages.
Speaker 5: I think you've got to change the montages. Well, I think there's got to be another. I've got an idea or one or two ideas about that.
Speaker 4: No not, We'll have a production meeting.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, midnight. I can't wait.
Speaker 4: I'll let the boss now, I'll get beers in. All right, now a break? And then, as Andrew mentioned at the top of the are very sadly we have lost a great a great performer, and another great performer will be paying tribute after this.
Speaker 5: It's nineteen past eleven on Remember when a bit of a sad time for us to light a year, Remember when some particularly those listening of course in Melbourne, because we lost Marcy Jones just last night, and she was so much a part of the Melbourne music scene for so many years with Marsy and the Cookies, and of course as a solo actually tour overseas. She's sang on just about every TV show and one of her great mentors, and one of her great friends along the journey was a man we speak to next normally wrote, very good evening, and thank you for making time normally a very emotional time for you.
Speaker 15: Thanks for mass fellows. It's I wish I could say it was a pleasure. It's just such a and to talk to you guys as always is. But you know, I wish none of us had to deal with these sorts of situations. It's a bit heartbreaking, I guess to all of us.
Speaker 4: It is, of course, but especially to you normal because it's not not like you guys met up in your fifties or something and developed a friendship and a reunion console or something. How long How long ago did you actually meet Marcy for the first time.
Speaker 15: Well, I'm seventy eight and I think I was fourteen when I first met mars. Yeah, she at that stage was singing at Preston Town Hall and I, or a couple of couple of years earlier, I started singing there and with our paths crossed, and then she recorded for Sunshine Records before the Playboys and me. She recorded a song called Quiet, a really nice song, but unfortunately it didn't quite make it and then when we had it an't necessarily so we went on tour, but we we Marcy and I suppose a few other singers around at the same time were singing regularly advances together in Melbourne, but the package was generally norm Ro Marcy Jones and the Playboys, so it was a nice, rounded, rounded off package. And we played every town with a population of more than two thousand, and some with populations of less, and well, I think at the time Charlton in Central Victoria only had only had a population of a thousand. We got six hundred kids in me.
Speaker 30: Marvelous so and Marcy.
Speaker 15: Marcy was really really funny. The girls will be crawling out for me and for Peter Doyle, who was also gaining some traction funnily, and the kids, the girls were all crawling out for us. And she'd stand up and say, now listen, girls, now listen. I'm on first and I'm going to sing all of my songs and you're not going to see these boys until I've finished, so you might as well just put up with it with me.
Speaker 17: And she had that.
Speaker 15: Sort of powerful presence right from that time on, and in fact, only two weeks ago I had the lovely experience of interviewing Mass and the go set lunch that we have on the Gold Coast once a month, and she was the person of interest, if you like, and a lot of people said it was the funniest and the most entertaining interview that that they'd seen at that function ever, And I guess it was because I knew all her backstories, and when she went on to the ones that couldn't mention, I just kept changing the subject, nor.
Speaker 5: Meal I don't. It's not a not a secret. You were in a relationship with Marsia at one particular point, and it was at that time you were called up and went to Vietnam, wasn't it.
Speaker 15: Yeah, that's right. In fact that stage we were engaged, we were going to get married. I went off to Vietnam, she went off to England, and I guess we sort of drifted apart during that period of time, but we stayed friends full life. I saw her in the hospital last week, and it was in fact last Sunday, and we just thought that, well, what she's dealing with is pretty pretty hard. At that stage, she hadn't been diagnosed with the leukemia, which eventually I guess took a life.
Speaker 5: But she.
Speaker 15: Was in good spirits, nevertheless obviously not feeling very well. And it was quite a It was quite a shock when Murray phoned me last night and said, Marcy has just left the building. And really, for an entertainer to be masters just leaving the building, I think that's the way that all of any of us have trod the boards, as it were.
Speaker 26: Would like to.
Speaker 15: Say, you know, our last farewell's.
Speaker 4: It is a beautiful expression, isn't it In terms of entertainers when they pass that, it's very fitting.
Speaker 20: Yeah.
Speaker 15: And Mass, you know, they sail like you know, you put your hand in a bucket of water. When you pull it out, what's left? Well, I think if you if you put Mass in a bucket of water, it pulled it out, you leave it a dirty, big hole that would never ever be filled. Her personality was much greater than the sum of of all the different parts she was.
Speaker 5: She lit up the room normally. How much family? What family did she have? I'm not that familiar with her personal life, No.
Speaker 6: She was.
Speaker 15: She was an only child of George and Wynny. She grew up just at the bottom of the Station Street in box Hill, where Station Street and Intersex with tram road and just it's now the next house along from the freeway, and it was built by George. He was a builder and he was a lovely gentleman and Wynn was a sweet lady, you know. And I think they were able to give Marcel the opportunities that she wanted, and the big opportunity for her was to be a singer. That's what she wanted, and she learned very well. She was a very fine singer, and later in later years she became a very good songwriter as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, very musically talented. I only well as a kid. I only knew as a singing the latest pop songs. But I didn't realize she had a great ballad voice as well too.
Speaker 15: Normally, yeah, oh yeah, she could sing any of the big ballads of the day, from Silly Black and and Dusty Springfield and Dian Warwick. She would do all of those songs. But I found a song by Patti LaBelle when I was in England, a version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow, which made the hair stand up on the back of my neck, and I sent it to her and I said, haven't listened to this? I think you and the girls should you could do a fantastic version of it, And of course they did, and they actually met. They were on a bill with Patti LaBelle and the Bluebells and they were talking about the song, and I think, as far as I can remember, they I think Patti Labella actually heard Marcy sing this arrangement and gave them, gave the girls a wonderful compliment. But it wasn't just Patti LaBelle. She toured with Cliff Richard extensively. She toured with Jean Pitney, and of course most of the time with the Cookies, who were a very fine sister trio. And you know, in history, one of the great shames, I suppose, is that they never really had a big number one record, because I think that would have been the duel in the Crown for them.
Speaker 4: You mentioned the Cookies, Beverly, Margaret, and Wendy. Have you spoken to any of them in the last forty eight hours or Yeah.
Speaker 15: I spoke to Maggie not long after I heard from Murray, and she already had she'd heard from Murray and she was passing it on to the girls. Of course, you know, it went around like wildfire. I mean, I don't know where too many people know. But we've got this sort of it's almost like a fan that get together every Thursday night at a suburban hotel and every time I'm in Melbourne, I go to this dinner where we go and have a lovely dinner in a hotel restaurant and we talk about what we're doing today, what we're going to be doing tomorrow, but moreover, what we what we've done in the past, and any of the the incant instances that we might have missed of each other's life. So we were right, okay, it's sort of it's it's like a family.
Speaker 5: This is the people those artists involved with the Go Show and TV like that that you're talking about normally.
Speaker 15: Are you, yes, and people from people musicians. Quite often we see the original members of the Playboys, and there are a number of other I mean, last week, cash Back cash Backman arrived at this dinner just out of the blue. That was lovely, and we see a number of a number of singers pop in and it's open to anybody who's in the business to come along, but we like it to be the people we know most of all, we've traveled our life with, you know, so it's good to have that wonderful personal connection with people who have shared the sort of things that we've shared.
Speaker 4: Well, the next one will no doubt be a more somber occasion, I would think.
Speaker 15: I'm sure it will be, but I think there will be a lot of very funny stories. You know, Marty was never short of giving advice.
Speaker 5: Oh how very diplomatic.
Speaker 15: And her favorite line is you know what you should do? And I go, oh, no, here we go again, bloody.
Speaker 8: Hell uh.
Speaker 5: It's a wonderful character. We had the pleasure of interviewing her. How long ago was it, Simon?
Speaker 4: That was the first week of March, so only three months ago.
Speaker 20: Now.
Speaker 5: It just brought us about that, and you and I at the end of the interview said, what a character, isn't she wonderful? Yeah, neither of I know if she never met her, I haven't ever said on TV the same with you, Simon.
Speaker 4: Now I've met the cookies, but I haven't met Mars.
Speaker 5: And that's funny. Yes, it's a releasure.
Speaker 15: I really think she's the only woman I've ever known to be able to kick start a space shuttle.
Speaker 5: Well said, I think we almost to go out on that Norman Row. Thank you very much for a very emotional time, for your a very sad time making some time available. As I said earlier, but it is appreciated.
Speaker 15: Thank you very much for helping Melbourne remember a very foreign lady.
Speaker 4: Good on you nor me. That's Normy Roe.
Speaker 8: Where Mark.
Speaker 19: Left that.
Speaker 4: Scary half an hour? An hour for your calls? One double three six ninety three anything you want to chat about? Did you ever go and see Marcy and the Cookies live?
Speaker 5: I did once at a pub. Yes, well I didn't, to be honest, I didn't specially go along because I was with a group of people. They wanted to go along and any it was great. Did a great cabaret night somewhere. I can't remember you you forget there're all beer Barnes one of those sort of places you know, were long tables with drugs down them.
Speaker 4: And once you've had a few in you you don't even remember which I was blond. I wonder if people listening. Did you ever see Marsi one double three six Marsi Jones? Memory?
Speaker 5: I tell you who I saw? Who I? Well, no, I didn't think anything of but I really liked after I saw that was Debra Bert, Debbie Burn, Debbie Burn. Yeah, man, when I saw once at a at a function again it was it wasn't really a wedding. I don't know what it was. I'm sitting the table. This girl is fantastic. She was just heart and soul into every song.
Speaker 4: I saw her at Caper's and she was fabulous. Yeah, great show, intimate venue it was, but so she was like six ft away from me and she was just magnificent.
Speaker 5: That was that place in Hawthorne, wasn't.
Speaker 4: It on the corner on Little Street on the other street.
Speaker 5: That's right, no parking whatsoever. You had to pink about three miles away. But it was a good little venue and as you said, you got up close and personal. Yeah, with the singers. Yes, I saw someone there. Oh I was that girl who used to back Johnny Farnham. She used to sing behind Johnny Farnham. Vanita Field, No, the other one, Lindsay's.
Speaker 4: No, Lindsay's. The bloke.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't for him unless he was feeling a bit different that night, Yes, but he was.
Speaker 4: It was who was the other Vanetta? And oh you know how embarrassed It doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: She was doing a show there She was really good too. But yeah, Billy Capers doesn't continue.
Speaker 4: No, no long Yeah, buildings gone, I think, Yeah, what a shame. Yeah, Arthur has called from West footscrage did I?
Speaker 17: Arthur did a Simon and Andrew and then he interviewed Kate Brano. Did you know father is too famous karate instructor? Who knows my instructor?
Speaker 4: We didn't talk about that, but I was aware that her father was a karate expert.
Speaker 17: Yes, I brought it up because I said a lot. But I'll get to are you doing bands with being the front or anywhere? It's got to be the fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I think in the front I'll do. But i'll do that. I'm staying on to fill in again for Tony McManus after midnight, so so I'll be doing that as a topic. But at at the top of the show, I'm going to talk to Gavin Wood again about MARSI because we'll be on Relate to five, Double A and six PR so it'll be nice to reminisce again about MARSI with Gavin, and then it'll be on for Young and Old with Calls Reserve. Yeah, hang on to it.
Speaker 17: All right. Sorry I didn't know I didn't realise that.
Speaker 4: No, that's right. I didn't make it terribly clear, so that's probably my fault.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Arthur, all the best, Justin's and Frankston.
Speaker 30: Hello, Justin, good afternoon, Simon Owen. How are you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 4: Thanks?
Speaker 30: Long time no here.
Speaker 4: It's been at least a few days.
Speaker 30: Yeah. Well, I haven't corgious since I've moved up to my new house.
Speaker 4: You rang me on Friday morning or Thursday morning and told me that you'd moved to Frankston.
Speaker 30: Ah, so I'm getting old of my birthason next month, so I'm getting old.
Speaker 20: No. No.
Speaker 30: The reason why I rung is did you any of you guys get to watch the Geelong West Coast game?
Speaker 4: Well, Andrew and I, being the footy heads we are, didn't quite manage to catch that one. Surprisingly.
Speaker 5: Just are you a Cat supporter.
Speaker 30: Through and through? I've been going for Geelong ever since two thousand and four.
Speaker 4: You're like a mini Dennis Walter, aren't you.
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 30: Definitely. But the best thing about being a Geelong supporter was that I went to the two thousand and four AFL Grand Final when they played Port Adelaide.
Speaker 5: That's right, yes, and they're doing very well this year too, of course I've justin.
Speaker 30: Oh definitely. Well they just beat West Coast one hundred and twelve to seventy nine, so you know it's and it was an easy win because West Coast is still on the bottom.
Speaker 5: Well, yes, they're I was actually firing this year. Are now justin all the best and thank you for calling in? Get on your Justin Karen will be an alterna Meadows, Hello Karen.
Speaker 31: Thank guys.
Speaker 32: I can't actually remember that, did I? Do you remember the Bank Standing and Ghost Show and all those sort of things. Yea even knows a teenager, I meet people like little Paddy called Joy, yes as a woman specifically who and a little I really like a little Patty that she had since Debulous Souls and she was such a good singer. A lot of other ones as well, of course, and then Johnny Yang came out and then you got then You're going to Jennison and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is this is sort of shows before Countdown became the teenage Music Show. And there used to be one on someone helped me give us a call one double three, six, nine and three. What was the name of the show that Ross Dy Wiley used to compare on what was then channel Oh, it was on a Saturday morning.
Speaker 4: I think it was the show was it?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 8: No, no com.
Speaker 4: Communism, no commotion? Commotion was it was a commotion?
Speaker 5: No commotion? Was on Channel nine? This was on I swear on channel Karen vanus Chas, do you remember it?
Speaker 32: It wouldn't be no.
Speaker 5: That came from Sydney and Brian Henderson now Rosty while he was a singer and did and compare that and he had a big hit with the star a song called the Stuff and anyone give us a call if you do remember.
Speaker 4: It, someone will know. Whilst we're waiting for answers for that. Lisa Edwards was the other singer for John that's the girl I saw a Capers Yes and again brilliant. How did we How did you forget Lisa Edwards? Sorry about those mental blanks? Yes, good on your Karen, thank you for the call. Jackson kill Conda good a jack.
Speaker 29: Did I boys?
Speaker 30: I just start my son.
Speaker 15: But my name that I had for the girls singing was Nicky Nichols, who.
Speaker 16: Also yeah it was.
Speaker 5: Who was the other girl? Though you mentioned Nicky Nichols, I don't remember Lucy Nichols no, Nicky Nichols, Nicky Nichols, No, don't know.
Speaker 15: Either way, Nichols.
Speaker 16: And and the show that Ross Wiley was on, I think was happening seventy.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you Jack. Oh good on. I would have struggled all night for that. Yeah, because there's way back. That was the year that came out.
Speaker 4: Of course, Hey Jack, do you want to do you want a job hosting a nostalgia show because the current hosts aren't very good?
Speaker 5: Sure to do it? Sure o good happening seventy with Ross d Wiley. Yeah, that's it. Yeah, way back. So what is that fifty five and me fifty five years ago?
Speaker 4: Well that's why I can't remember. I wasn't born. Got on your Jack, appreciate that anything else.
Speaker 16: But I'm happy to come on and do some.
Speaker 4: Is trivia for you, anyto or play the spoons anything, just ringing and answer any questions that we can't remember.
Speaker 5: In the meantime, Leanne's in Minneapello.
Speaker 31: Leanne Hi, Andrew Simon and Ben I saw I'm talking at the Big at the Big Swing at heath got Oval in nineteen eighty four, and they were She was up cakes, Bruno was up there with a sister then, yeah, they were one of the bands that day. And also a little bit of trivia about that day. Wendy Matthews was a backup singer for the Models and she dated Sean Kelly, one of the lead things it Ah, is that right?
Speaker 30: Ye?
Speaker 5: How about that little into personal stuff there? Yes, this is I'm talking of course, being the first well really the first professional group as far as I know that Kate Sobrano was involved with.
Speaker 12: Yes, yeah, they're a sister.
Speaker 15: I don't know what happened to his sister.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't realize that. We didn't ask him. I didn't think Kate had a sister.
Speaker 5: I didn't know.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I thought it was anyway.
Speaker 4: No, you're not getting confused with Vico and Linda, are you? Who did back up for the Black.
Speaker 17: I know those two.
Speaker 4: They're amazing to get on your thanks, Leanne. I love Vicar and Linda Bullies.
Speaker 5: They were on Carol's by Candlelight one particularly. I can't remember that it was silent on one of the traditional song. Oh they did it well, yeah, really, Well.
Speaker 4: There's something about siblings when they sing together, if they've both got the talent, that is just immaculate is the only way. Yeah, I can describe it.
Speaker 5: Dave's and wood End, Hello, Dave, Hi boys.
Speaker 12: As regards Rusty Wiley suddenly swimming around my head, was the show called up Tight?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've got a couple of texts that have just said that as well. Uptight Rosty Wyley.
Speaker 5: I think that was the other show he had. I think he had two shows happening, and one was called up Tight. And also do you remember this well, I've got you there, Dave. And obviously you go back a few years. Do you remember a show on Channel seven? I think of an afternoon called turning On with Baby John, Baby John Burgess.
Speaker 17: Baby John Burbish.
Speaker 30: I do remember that shock.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It was all very casual, cool and everyone sort of sat around and he'd, after talking for a little bit to say, oh and he is you know some musical act he'd introduced and they'd hear the the was that he loved that ever loving man? What was that? Who were they? You're looking to you love? But the need you love?
Speaker 8: Who was that?
Speaker 5: Helped me? Dave?
Speaker 4: The loved ones?
Speaker 5: Have we got that there? I'm sorry if I'm fucking you there, Ben, We've got it here.
Speaker 4: Ben's Ben's having a look for you as well. Oh here here go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh memories, memories.
Speaker 29: Dreams are baby understand so very hard for your forget everything.
Speaker 4: It's a bit much for this time, isn't it?
Speaker 8: Sorry about that?
Speaker 5: Hello mother, Welcome mother, household shoes are wearing it now.
Speaker 4: Thank you for everyone who's called. We've got moving coming up after the break. But personality Peter has just texted as well. Uptight Saturday mornings, eight am, sixty seven to sixty nine, and he says, happening seventies was Jeff Phillips.
Speaker 5: It's probably right.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, maybe they both did it.
Speaker 5: Mervin Purpose after this and at ten to twelve, I know those who have been waiting for this since nine o'clock, since since remember when first cranked up tonight the legend the one the only Mervin.
Speaker 4: Who wants to be a Merven per.
Speaker 12: Have flashy flunkies everywhere. Purpose who wants the father of a country estate?
Speaker 4: A country estate is something i'd hate. Well, all, let's talk about channel oh, Channel ten's birth. Then let's get down to the business, sire. What's in hand for the Mervin Purpose?
Speaker 8: Quick quiz?
Speaker 4: You're an oh for a while they're movin.
Speaker 33: Yes, I worked in the Deck Club.
Speaker 5: They've got it.
Speaker 4: They had a big carp and to show room at the back. And I used to do the sets for the Bluestone Boys and oh the care of Breakout.
Speaker 8: Holiday Are worked on Arcade.
Speaker 4: Yes, I did the first edition of Arcade. Oh there's some marvelous shows and a great history that as you left behind you murmur.
Speaker 8: And then he moved into the wardrobe department at Channel I.
Speaker 4: Let's get down to business, he writes, Simon, Yes, thank you, and what about Juie.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'll be right now.
Speaker 34: Okay, ten marks for every one you get right, ten marks that you lose if you're incorrect with your answer. What was Peter Goldmark's circular invention in nineteen forty eight?
Speaker 4: The wheel lose?
Speaker 34: He was a bit like the LP record, Yes, the long playing record a record. Don't get confident? What a camel's hair brush made from?
Speaker 4: Catty lose ten? The ideas he bristles. Don't you call me? That had it up to my nipping being called pigs bristles.
Speaker 33: And so is Linda Lovelace. I think there was made of boars fluff lose ten. I don't think bars have a fluff, do they? You should see what they.
Speaker 4: Eat from the squirrels tiles.
Speaker 35: You're kidding, Well, I'm sure that answer is different every time, So it's not.
Speaker 4: It is not that's the camel hair.
Speaker 34: What or how did the great Greek dramatists die poisoned?
Speaker 8: He fell off the stage, he bitten by an ass.
Speaker 4: You all lose ten.
Speaker 8: He was killed.
Speaker 10: He was killed with a bird dropped a tortoise on his head from a great height.
Speaker 4: You get hit by a tortoise from a great height. Here is a pathan talk about bad luck, all the places in the world that tortoise should land on him.
Speaker 8: You know who?
Speaker 35: I feel sorry for the priest who would have been eating at his funeral, And how sad it was that he died when a bird dropped the tortoise.
Speaker 33: And the priest was at our school and he taught us, what do you mean the tortoise fell on his head?
Speaker 4: That's humor? Does he lose points for that? It's lost? Man, What sense does a dying person tend to lose?
Speaker 34: First his hearing? That's the last sight? Is correctly in twenty points? Who designed the Eiffel Tower?
Speaker 8: Good Stave Eiffel.
Speaker 34: That's ten points for you. What are penguins covered in feathers oiled? Twenty for you, Simon, lose ten for you interrupting the oil?
Speaker 4: Are there on the outside?
Speaker 34: After whom with a Virgin Islands need the legend Queen Elizabeth and twenty points for.
Speaker 8: That the version Queen not Madonna.
Speaker 4: How long do mayfly eggs take the hatch? Quick? This is a good quiztion. It's quick four days, lose ten. What's the matter with the week?
Speaker 5: I just don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm feeling twenty one.
Speaker 34: Days, three heaveny three years, three years, long station period, long time you can even have an elephant all an elephant's only months? In which year were Transit's first issue to the British Army.
Speaker 8: Quickly eighteen ninety six in the war.
Speaker 35: Nineteen seventeen, fifteen hundred, eighteen twenty three eighteen.
Speaker 4: I don't want they were prior to Transits. Good rounded.
Speaker 8: I believe Chris master Is at sans Co Lots.
Speaker 4: Who first rode around the world road road? Yes, RD R W E. D.
Speaker 8: Francis Chichester, who's twenty.
Speaker 4: I think Dick Smith no one, because it hasn't been invented yet that's right, it is. We've never been attempted to row around the question. So you all lose ten points. It's very good. Which insect has the best eye sight? The gnat, not the nat good thought though, the bee?
Speaker 8: New birds have good eyesight? New the dragon fly?
Speaker 34: The dragon fly? We might get one in quickly hit which water fowl it's thot to feed? It's young, its own blood? Oh dear, Oh, just tasteful host.
Speaker 35: Would that be a p hen No, it's a pican score Please scores Philip on minus thirty I and on minus forty. I was on minus forty. That's a low scoring game. Tonight moving one outright on fifty points.
Speaker 4: Oh well, that's the end of another Remember when Andrew can't believe it? Incidentally, our twentieth show together, since Phil sadly passed, is it really left the program years? Oh boy, so it feels like years ago, but also so recent. It's quite bizarre.
Speaker 5: I still want to see that gold falcon in the car park down below us. Yes, on a Sunday night. Yeah yeah, anyway, there we go. Now you are staying on of course. Yeah, it's not goodbye for you.
Speaker 4: I've done three hours, five and a half to go.
Speaker 5: It's just warm enough, folks. I listened a him. I think you'll be asleep listen for Boring around about three o'clock tomorrow morning.
Speaker 4: No, that's right, because Jay's got the battery there to jump start me. Thank you, Ben, Thank you boys. Good on you.
Speaker 26: Ben.
Speaker 4: I'll speak to you after the news