Speaker 1: Onto GV. This is Sitney Now with Clinton Mayne.
Speaker 2: Thursday June twelve, one three one eight seven three. It is Clinton Mainee with you. A little cloudy across Sydney this afternoon actually feels warmer than it is at sixteen degrees in the city. If you're on the road at the moment, I want you to have a look around. You can you spot buses? Probably can in the traffic. Is it an electric bus? I reckon it probably isn't. Because despot all the fuss about the state government making a transition to an electric bus flip. The plan's not going too well. Thanks to our listeners, I've uncovered the truth about what's going on with ev electric buses in our city and it's not great. Stay tuned. Coming up in the program Proof those who are regulating the tobacco industry really have no idea. This is startling. Former Policemanister David Elliott is my straight shooter for a Thursday, we'll look at youth crime. We'll also talk about the legacy of Brian Wilson. You cannot overstate his importance when it comes to twentieth century music. He was a genius and Mark Guy's on the show after five point thirty. Mitch Moses has been ruled out of the New South Wales state of origin side. Jerome Leway has been brought in. We'll talk to MG about that. You are my eyes and ears when it's happening in Sydney. Now, if you see something we need to know about, send me a text message zero force like zero eight seven three eight seven three and have you say one three one eight seven three. Well in Sydney. Now there are three men in custody after a house in Maryland's this morning was shot at. Now this is significant because there's a twist to this story. It was about quarter past nine this morning. House is peppered with bullets. Shortly afterwards, burned house Porsche was discovered. But the twist is the house reportedly belongs to the Boss, one of the key figures within the Alabadeine crime gang, and this particular man was actually on his way to Paramount, a local court to see a variation in his bail conditions. The head of Task Force Falcon, Detective Superintendent Jason Box joins a stick you for your time, no problems. It was at quarter past nine this morning. What happened to Maryland's.
Speaker 3: Porsche stopped out the front of those premises and a number of shots were fired into those premises. The vehicle was tracked to chester Hill. It was burnt out. They've jumped into another vehicle being a Hi Yundai that was followed by poll Air and police stopped that went to stop that vehicle. The three occupants ran from the vehicle. The apprehended a short time later, and they're all in custody and there being and spoke and ear by investigators at this moment.
Speaker 2: So the reports today are that the one of the heads of the Alamedin crime family lives in that house and he was actually on his way to Paramount, a local court to seek a variation in his bail conditions. That apparently he had been concerned for his safety by living in that house, and the bail conditions stated that he needed to be there. Do you have much information about that aspect.
Speaker 3: I can't comment who lives in that amuses, but there was a bile variation sought by a member of the alameddinacn occurring today.
Speaker 2: The fact that the claim is that he had feared for his security. Now I know the way that you and your officers work when you're investigating these major crime gangs. At times police actually do warn figures from this world that their security may be at risk had that happened. In this case.
Speaker 3: There's been many persons attached to these organized crime networks recently by a task force for our can end previously warned about any information or intelligence that we get here, we do make sure that we pass that on. We do make them aware of what intelligence we have, what information, and we pass it on accordingly to people as we receive it.
Speaker 2: The task force that you're now in charge of bringing to you, those thirteen strikeforces, has made several arrests. We spoke to you last week on the program about Jason is do you believe that this particular incident is potentially linked to us that you've already been investigating.
Speaker 3: Potentially You know, they've been well documented and discussed that there's internal conflict amongst these organized crime networks. This may well be attributed to that. You know, it was a genuine attempt, you know, there's no doubt you know, to injure or potentially kill the occupants of those premises.
Speaker 2: And I guess the concern that you would have is I think most Sydney siders would have If those who are behind these shootings get the address wrong, innocent people could be in danger here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. That's why I essentially Taskhaals fac and has we stood up. We suppressed all this violence. You know, we're arresting these people who've got three more today and that was due to police being in the area and saturating. There's been cars taken off the streets with firearms. There's been numerous cars that have been located that we're going to be used in serious criminal offenses. Are up to fourteen now that have had petrol and or you know, fake registration plates and being positioned to commit offense. So we're taking that opportunity away or identifying the right people. We're saturating. You know, we've got fifty police out in the field that are targeting all these locations and speaking of these people. So you know, we hope today's another step forward and reducing any risk for the public.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's important work. Thank you for your time.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Protective Inspector Jason Box, he's the head of Task Force Falcon which is investigating these series of crimes.
Speaker 1: You want to know what's happening in Sydney. Stay tuned to Sydney Out with Clinton on June It's.
Speaker 2: Twelve past three if the Order the General has today released a report into the regulation of poker machines in our state. It has found the state government lacks any meaningful monitoring of poker machines and it doesn't collect enough data about problem gambling. As you know, this was an issue before the last state election, but Dominic Pereitet's plan for a cashlest gaming card that was thrown out Green's Uphouse MP Kate Feman has looked at this report. Thank you for your time, Kate.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pleasure Clinton.
Speaker 2: Are you concerned by what it's found.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Look, basically, the government has a responsibility under the Gaming Machine Act right to give due regard to gambling harm reduction. What the Order to General has found is, in fact it's not doing that at all. It's tinkering around the edges. Here in New South Wales, we have seen an increase in the number of poker machines under this government. We've seen an increase in harm, We've seen an increase in losses, so much so that here in New South Wales people are losing twenty three million dollars a day to the pokies.
Speaker 2: So the number of pokies has increased. We almost a thousand in two years since since Labor came to power. I just want you to listen cake to what the Premieer has said about this today. This is Chris Mints.
Speaker 5: Everything from signs out, the signage at the front of pubs and clubs having to be removed, to the introduction of problem gambling individuals on staff who are responsible for those that might be not gambling responsibly.
Speaker 2: So that's what the Premier says the government is doing. Doesn't see what it goes far enough.
Speaker 4: To me personally look it certainly isn't the order to General found in fact that in relation to even looking at responsible gambling in venues, he referred to staff having to be responsible, that they're more concerned about complying with the regulation than actually looking at the behavior of people in you know, if they're experiencing harm, if they should take a step away from the poker machines, plus things like venue culture. There's actually one of the big things is that there's a heap of venues out there that got conditions imposed, say twenty years ago, that allowed them to have these exemptions to operating between not sorry, closing between four am and ten am. So there's a heap of venues that have poker machines operating, which is a very harmful time, and their conditions haven't been assessed for like twenty years. So the Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority, which is the organization that looks at this basically, isn't keeping up with making sure that you know, harm is reduced, and to be honest, the Men's government isn't doing anywhere near enough.
Speaker 2: David Harris, the Minister, points out that the report in the main looks at the time when the coalition was in power. What it changes do you want to see?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: Look, I mean almost everybody other than the Men's Government is saying that we do need cashless gambling cards. Of course the industry itself is pushing back a bit with that. But look, I've got a stat here that says calls to the gambler where helpline increase by eight and a half percent in twenty twenty three to twenty four. I don't believe that what the Minister said is true. This order to this order report did look at statistics and data that came in when the government was in power. And one last thing with this, the Independent Panel on Gaming Reform gave its recommendations to the Government in November last year and the Government said it was looking at that. It will respond in due course. It's now June and we've seen nothing.
Speaker 2: We'll continue to follow this certainly.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Kate, Thanks Clinton.
Speaker 2: Kate Fairman, Upper House Greens MP. On this issue, the Government says it is still considering further recommendations and the Independent Panel on Gaming Reform, but I can assure you they won't be going down the path of cashless gaming. Sixteen past three. The former Prime Minister Scott Morrison has today played down concerns the Orchest submarine deal with the United States is under threat. The Trump administration has revealed that it's examining the plan to ensure it meets the America First priorities that President Trump is introducing so effectively the three hundred and sixty eight billion dollar pact is in some doubt. But Scott Morrison has been asked on Sky Today whether he's concerned.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not.
Speaker 7: It's totally within their remit. As I've said that the incoming governments do reviews. Kiss Darmer so Keiths Starmer did a review and that resulted in the UK government being even more committed to aucas as a.
Speaker 1: Result of that.
Speaker 7: The issues being raised actually very well known. It's been driven out of the Department of Defense by the Undersecretary and who has made clear his concerns in the past about the production rate of US submarines and that's what their primary focus is. And that issue has been known for some time, which is why under the Orcast Agreement, Australia actually funds the support of the US industrial base. So this is a known issue that definitely needs to be addressed. It's a very important issue for the US government in particular, and it's one that President Trump promised it fix and so if he fixes that problem, well then there shouldn't be any issue.
Speaker 2: Scott Morrison and today expectedly Malcolm term but also the form of Minister Bob Carr have pointed the finger at mister Morrison, coming up why the transition to electric buses in our city is failing? One three, one eight seven three is our number. This is Sydney now seventeen degrees in the coast, at sixteen degrees in Penrith at the moment thanks to you message, Tim, I like to be positive. So we've had this news this afternoon that Mitchell Moses has suffered a calf injury during the training camp for the New South Wales State of Origin side that match to next Wednesday night in Perth. As a result Mitch Moses and really disappointing for Miss Moses, he's had to pull out. Jerome Lewy has been brought in and we'll talk to Mark Guyre about this after five point thirty. I actually think the Blues may well be better off. I know that might be controversial. I think the Blues are going to be better off with a combination in the halves of Nathan Cleary and Jerome Mark Guyre after five point.
Speaker 1: Thirty until six. This is Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard on two GB. You call now one to three, one eighty.
Speaker 2: Seven three twenty two past three. I received a tip off late last week about Ish use more issues with electric buses at a particular depot in Sydney. I can reveal this afternoon we have a major problem with the electric bus fleet in Sydney. I've confirmed that dozens do not work. Simple as that my initial contact told me there are sixteen buses at the Speed and Grange depot in the Southwest, sixteen electric buses that are not being used, that have been sitting there at the depot for some time. That depot is operated by Transit Systems. Now my contact works on buses and they tell me they've been sitting idle and they were concerned that the axles themselves have seized up. Well, I alluded to this a couple of days ago, and as a result, I've been sent lots of correspondence by you, our listeners, telling me about more problems within the industry, telling me about problems specifically with electric buses, and just from the outset. Let me make this clear, forget issues about climate change. I actually think the transition to electric buses, if it makes financial sense, may well be a good thing in the long term. They're quite in traffic. You're not stuck behind a bus that's spewing out diesel from its tail pipe, so it does make some sense. But it's pretty clear from what I've discovered today, the government has rushed into this over the last couple of years and they're not getting it right. So what I've found out I've confirmed this now from Transport for New South Wales is the problem that was identified by my contact is actually much worse than they thought. The departments told me. In twenty twenty two, an order was placed for seventy two Element I electric buses from a local manufacturer, Custom Denning. They're based in some areas. I've actually been to their premises during the rollout. A number of reliability issues were identified. The cause of several performance and reliability issues has been attributed to the batteries they use. The element IE buses require new batteries to be installed. So that's seventy two buses that are being ordered from Custom Denning. They all need near batteries already. That's far beyond the sixteen I was initially told about. All seventy two need new batteries. Transport for New South Wales tells me Custom Denning is undertaking a retrofit program directify the buses. We expect these buses will be returned to service progressively into early twenty twenty six, so next year. The seventy two buses that are ordered back in twenty twenty two will not be in service until next year in full because they've got problems with the batteries. Transport for New South Wales tells me there are currently seventeen element IE buses on the network. Two have had the retrofit completed, so two have new batteries custom denning Element one electric buses not in service are either in the process of being retrofitted so that means fixed or in storage awaiting retrofitting. Eleven are currently stored at the Transport for New South Wales holding yard at Smeaton Grange. So the buses I told you about, so seventy two electric buses we order. Two are fully working. There are two that have had the new butteries installed. That's all. And electric buses are worth in the vicinity of a million dollars.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: I've had further correspondence from our listeners this week, some who work as bus drivers, others who work in the industry. I won't name them because they value their jobs and I appreciate their confidential information. This is regarding the smeat And Grange depot. My listener says there are approximately twenty five buses there. They've been out of action for six months. They need major repairs before they can go back into service. These buses have been plagued by problems ever since they're delivery to Transport for New South Wales. There are a large number of ev buses parked at the Sydney Bus Museum, which is behind the Leichhardt Bus Depot. They've been paid for by the Transport Department, so Transport for New South Wales. They've never gone into service. That's from a bus driver. Another contact of mine tells me there are at least three electric buses operated by Transit Systems part near an ROMs Road emergency vehicle and tow truck facility at Arndil Park. It's near the intersection of the Great Western Highway Reservoir Road, just down from the bunnings. You can see them. They're sitting there in a grassy area. They're not hooked up to power or anything. Now this information from a bus driver. He drives an electric bus and it's actually quite disturbing. He tells me. There have been many issues with these buses simply not working. They stop, the bus will stop and you have to reset it. It can happen in traffic. It has a bus stops of traffic lights. If this occurs, the buses need to be completely shut down for two to three minutes in the traffic. This causes to stress to bus drivers and passengers and other road users. Also, with the batteries in these buses, they're on the roof of the bus. They're top heavy. If any of these buses ever caught fire, the occupant's not going to have long to get out of the bus. This is a driver of electric buses, he says. I purse believe these buses should not be on the roads until they're being charged one hundred percent from renewables. Now that raises the issue that I'd brought you a couple of months ago. We were sent photos of diesel generators diesel generators that electric buses have been plugged into, and Transport for New South Wales did confirm that to me a couple of months ago, that they are charging some buses with diesel generators. Completely misses the point, doesn't it. One of my listeners writes, we have some of these buses that are made in St. Mary's. Let me tell you, straight off the bat, most of these electric buses in Sydney, because there are on the road. Most of these buses do not charge via renewables. It's straight off the grid. Now, I don't think the concept of electric buses is all that bad. I don't think any of us like to be behind a diesel bus that's spewing out smoke. And some of them are great Lord of ma Bart. But quite simply, the industry is not ready for electric buses in Sydney. The charging infrastructure is poor. They're either plugged into the grid or worse DEAs all generators, so pointless from an environmental point of view, but even worse as the fact that taxpayers us We have ordered seventy two of these buses and they've got forty batteries. Only two of them have been fixed so far, and the rest in full won't be in service until next year. And as now, drivers have told me they're concerned about the safety risk. When the dam buses just stopped for no reason at a set of lights and it needs three minutes for a restart.
Speaker 1: It's not good enough.
Speaker 2: We are living out this ev fantasy before the city is ready. And why well, it's so we can tick a box and bureaucrats and people in the department that make themselves feel good that they're being environmentally friendly and they're saving the planet. It ain't working. Peter Ford coming up in a moment, we'll talk about the passing of Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys. You would have heard in Steve Carhen's traffic report there's been a crash involving a motorcycle and a car on the M seven motorway. It's just approaching Old Walgo Road Eastern Creek. The Ambulance Service has now told us the motorcycle ride has been taken to Westmead Hospital. He has a shoulder injury. He isn't stable condition. They've assessed the other OCYPI to the car. They seem to be okay. The northbound traffic is still affected, so that is the M seven just approaching Old Walgrove Road in Eastern Creek.
Speaker 1: An ease, Update, upgrade and save with Winston with a wine percent of motorized blinds, curtains and dawnings. Book now at Winston dot com.
Speaker 2: Aus Hey, Good afternoon, Katie Foller.
Speaker 9: Good afternoon, Clinton. Three men are being questioned by police after a brazen daylight shooting in Marylands. It's understood the home of the head of the Alamandine crime network was hit with bullets just moments after he left the house. A Sydney man is facing life in prison accused of importing forty eight kilograms of illicit drugs into the country as part of a US based operation. The federal government is being urged to consider increasing defense spending in a bid to keep the US on board with the Orchist Military Pact. The White House has announced a review of the three hundred and sixty eight billion dollar program, and a dining chair is being recalled. The Dimy chair from Fantastic Furniture has a manufacturing defect, with warnings the legs may break during use. In Sport, Giants Captain Toby Green is in dubt for Saturday's clash with AFL premiers the Brisbane Lions. Green is struggling with a deep cork to his buttocks after copying an accidental knee last weekend. Clinton More News at four K.
Speaker 2: Katie's sixteen degrees in the Coast. It's fifteen degrees in Campbelltown at the moment. Our Hearts go out to the form Miss Australia and the Neighbors actor Aaron McNaught. She's revealed today on social media via Instagram that her son is suffering a baby a brain tumor. He's only one year old, Obi and Aaron says he's been having problems eating, sleeping and most recently keeping his head straight. So they took their little boy, Aaron McNaughton her husband for an Mrry and that Mr Rai has confirmed his suffering a large brain tumor on the right side of his brain. McNaught says, we're absolutely shattered. His last days have been our hardest days. The team that the children's hostel in queens and have been incredible. We remain hopeful that we can remove the mass and get Obi healthy and happy, pending the results. Our hearts out to Erin McNaught, little Obie and the family twenty five to four just on the buses. So the plan is for all eight thousand buses in New South Wales to eventually be running on electric power. So at the moment there are diesel buses, there are some electric buses and natural gas buses, but clearly the transition is hitting hurdles. David says on the text line Shanghai, China has thousands of electric buses. Someone from Transport for New South Wales. You go to Shanghai, have look how they manage their fleet well. Our bringing in some packed buses that have been constructed in Naura from China. Ben says, the Element I buses you mentioned, they're a complete waste of money and the Element twos aren't much better. The Jung Volvo electrics of beautiful busses to drive the three minutes shutdown restart process has actually been in place before the electric buses have been a consideration. It resets the electrics. It's part of the process, but that is causing some concern. That process, when particularly in heavy traffic, is causing some concern for some of the bus drivers who listened to this show.
Speaker 1: Because John be.
Speaker 10: Grand Father.
Speaker 2: Round Well news early this morning the passing of musical genius Brian Wilson of Beach Boys Fate. He was the genius behind the Beach Boys. He has passed away at the age of eighty two. We talk entertainment with Peter Forden. He was a genius. Peter good afternoon.
Speaker 6: Yeah, although I would suggest probably a torture genius. You know, he had a lot of mental health issues going on which were probably not helped by his drive usage through the years. Had an abusive father, one of the constant things throughout his life. He kept hearing voices and then in more recent times they became hallucinations, and in the last two years he was diagnosed with dementia and his wife died at the beginning of last year. So as a result of that, she really did take care of him. So the family had to get a conservative ship put over him so that he wouldn't make any rash decisions financially or otherwise. But prior to say, the last two years he was going along pretty well. Was always a bit of a rollercoaster life because of the mental health issues and going in and out of institutions. But that music that he created, and of course, not to forget his brothers who predeceased him, who were also original members of the band You know well, Karl died in nineteen ninety seven and Dennis died in nineteen eighty three. He sort of ironically he drowned, So he's known great sadness in life. But when you look at the music, and that music takes you back to another time and place, and the people who've been putting out messages today like Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan all looked to him as being a great mentor and inspiration.
Speaker 2: He certainly was. And there's the story, and I know that it's well reported now that in the nineteen sixties when the Beatles heard pet Sounds, which is considered the Brian Wilson masterpiece, when they heard pet Sounds, they thought, oh, my goodness, this is going to take a lot to top. They then recorded Sergeant Pepper's in response.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, exactly. Look, it was a great time of music creativity, but there was such a unique sound that they had created. There's a couple of interesting things that he did that sort of went under the radar. About fifteen years ago, he did an album of all the Disney classics Disney Classic tunes and gave them a kind of a beach boys vibe. He also did the same thing with Gershwin music. So he really was open to different styles of music, but then interpreted interpreted in his own way. But there's a couple of things I would point you towards. And one is a great documentary which was called Long Promised Road, which is only done about eighteen months ago. And to be honest, that dementia had set in and he wasn't very effusive, kind of talent anyway, he wasn't overly articulate. His gift was writing music. But in this he does talk a lot and it's a great insight into and his memory was still great looking back. It wasn't so good about last week, but looking back to the sixties, his memory was really good. Long Promised road that's called if you want to try and track it down.
Speaker 2: So, as you mentioned, the Wilson Brothers long since past, and the Beach Boys over the years have had many different members. Is there actually still an act using the name the Beach Boys.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there is, and Mike Love has god it. I'm assuming he's bought the right right somehow. You know, that whole concept of buying rights to the names of band is a very complicated thing. You know, no better example of that than a Little riverband and what happened there. But yeah, they still go around with Michael and obviously the others are all younger musicians. Al Jardine is still out there performing as well. He has a kind of a band that specializes in doing the Beach Boys music but doesn't have the rights to use the Beach Boys' names.
Speaker 2: An absolute legend. Thank you, Peter, Thanks Clinton, Peter Ford, our music correspondent.
Speaker 11: Knows now.
Speaker 2: This may be a big call to make. I would go as far to say that God only knows. He is in the top three songs ever composed. I had that music fame my wedding, and it was before it was so popular with love actually, but of course it was a massive hit from Petstounds, from the from the Mids. I honestly believe that he's one of the greatest songs ever recorded. He was a legend, and yes, for many years he was drug effected. He became a hermit. At one point he had fallings out with his brothers. But music has lost a legend today. And I will quote Sean Lennon, son of John Says on social media today. He was always very kind and generous. He was our American Mozart are one of a kind, genius from another world.
Speaker 10: She's coming up after five o'clock.
Speaker 2: I will speak to an expert in the matter. I'll be speaking to a musician from the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. This is Sydney. A man has been questioned at Wogga Wogga Police station following the fatal shooting of another man in the River Areenda Town earlier this week. This occurred on Monday afternoon. The police were called to Ashmont, which is near Wagga Wogga reports a man had been shot during a fight of some sort. Well, today, a thirty five year old man's been arrested at a home at Norandra, which is in the Riverina not too far from Wagga Wogga. Police have searched a home they've located and see several items are closing for forensic examination. The man is still to be charged, but he is being questioned by Wagga Wogga police.
Speaker 1: If it matters to you, you'll hear it here Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard until.
Speaker 2: It's fortunately to four lots of messages here about Brian Wilson. Kim says, I absolutely agree. He is a legend, a legend of a songwriter. Kathy says, God Only Knows is one of the best songs ever. Tony, you're a Beach Boys fan? Yes, my word, what do you make of Brian Wilson?
Speaker 12: Oh Aton look fantastic program. And I just got to congratulate you on your fine judgement because you've just described God Only Knows as one of the greatest songs of the modern era, and We've played at your wedding. Paul McCartney, on numerous occasions, has described that song as the greatest piece of pop music ever written. You've got good judgment.
Speaker 2: It's hard to disagree with, sir Paul, isn't it. It's you know what it is about, Toney familiar.
Speaker 13: Okay.
Speaker 2: I'm in my late forties now, so I born in the mid seventies, grew up in the eighties. So my father was a fan of sixties music, and he'd always have lots of sixty music playing in the house, whether it was Australian music. He loved the BG's of the sixties, Beatles, Beach Boys, Herman's, Hermit's a lot right. Even though that music isn't actually of my era, I grew up with it. And so when you hear about the passing of somebody like Brian Wilson, even for somebody of my generation, it feels like the end of something.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's timeless music. Though it sounds as good now. It stands up as well now as it did forty years ago, fifty years ago.
Speaker 2: Yep, certainly does good on your tony think if you call one three one eight seventy three. As I meant, we will speak a little bit more about Brian Wilson in the final hour of the program.
Speaker 1: Listening to Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard on two gb com now one three one eight seven three.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been ghosted? Not by a partner, by about a potential employer? Now, what ghosted means. It means not to receive a call or even a text message to end a relationship. And this is a very modern way. Unfortunately, sometimes relationships end. New data from Indeed reveals nine in ten Australians have been ghosted by a prospective employer. It's twelve and a half million workers. So I know job seeking is frustrating, particularly if you're in your fifties and you are looking for employment. It can be enormously frustrating because there's a lot of ageism out there. But I've heard from people about this before that they get so frustrated that they'll apply for dozens and dozens of jobs. They will do it electronically via LinkedIn these days, and they'll never hear anything back. Well, that's what ghosts in the employment market is all about. Selling mckibbon is a career expert and indeed and joins us. Hello, Sally, Hi Clinton, how are you? I'm good? Why is ghosting happening in the employment market?
Speaker 14: Well, look, sometimes it's due to things like poor hiring practices. It can be lack of communication systems or employers either being overwhelmed with high volumes of applications or high volume of roles that they're actually managing and looking. In other cases, it can be that you know, hiring gets canceled altogether and people just don't get informed.
Speaker 2: What are the common reasons? What do you think the common reasons are that employers ghost Is it because it's simply they receive too many.
Speaker 14: Look, I think in a lot of instances it is that that overwhelming number of applications. A lot of businesses are using AI now to measure who is the most relevant for the job, and in other instances, you know, they just can't get through the sheer volume of people applying for a certain position.
Speaker 2: If we're using modern tech like AI, surely there'd be a way we could get the autumn of the artificial intelligence to reply to somebody who's had the god of the effort to apply for a job.
Speaker 14: You would absolutely hope so, but it is definitely not built in every single practice out there.
Speaker 2: You know what I fear, Sally, I reckon this then has an effect on somebody's mental health. I think it'll have an effect on their ambition, their desire to try to find a job.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it absolutely can be disheartening and damaging to people's confidence, particularly in young people or even as you mentioned, you know, people that are facing things like ageism, minority groups and things like that. It often leads people questioning their abilities when in reality the silence is often more about the internal employer process rather than them as a person or their ability to do the job.
Speaker 2: Just lastly, Sally, is there something the person who's applying for the job can do about it? Do you recommend, for instance, they're get in contact with the potential employer, doesn't have hurt.
Speaker 14: To send a follow up email or even you know, the old fashioned way of picking up the phone and sometimes giving somebody a call. And potentially you can also give it time. Hiring can be longer than a little bit than expected in some instances, and then you know, just keep keep practicing because whilst it can shake your confidence, you know there is the right job out there.
Speaker 1: For you.
Speaker 2: Hey, just lastly, Sally, have you ever been ghosted?
Speaker 14: I have, and it's even worse. It was one of my first jobs that I keep thinking about. I went for a trial and that I never heard from them ever again.
Speaker 2: Oh, so you're actually doing the job on trial?
Speaker 14: Went for a trial, Ronnie. Ronnie is back in the day, a similar vintage of your Cleante.
Speaker 2: There was a fashion retailer, wasn't it Ronnie's.
Speaker 14: Never it was like a discount store. And yeah, they never called me back, Sally.
Speaker 2: You would have been good at Ronnie's. It would have been outstanding. Hey, thanks, Sally, thanks so much for your time. Jellie McKinnon, who's from Indeed, so they've conducted the research that's found nine out of ten people who apply for a job have been ghosted, so they never hear back. Have you been in that situation? Now? I know it's particularly frustrating for people when they enter the middle age years trying to find a job. You're trying to deal with modern technology like LinkedIn, like the automated systems that we all have to now get our heads around. But when the perspective employer doesn't even have the courtesy to respond to your application. Do you get in contact with them? How do you deal with it? Has it happened to you? Let me know three one eight seven three. It's closing maynight here. When you see something around Sydney that we need to know about, let me know about via the text line zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. That's our word on the street thanks to temper, a great night's sleep, night after night. The difference is temper. And if you'd like us to investigate something, if you've got a news tip, that's also a word on the street. And that's where this information came to me first about what's going with electric buses in Sydney, the fact that so many are now off the road because they have faulty batteries. I'll talk to Howard Colinson, Transport for New South Wales after the news about that. Lots of messages still coming in about the Beach Boys and the tragic passing of Brian Wilson. Mitch agrees with me that God Only Knows is one of the top five best songs ever composed. Bonnie says, I agree with you about that song. It's a wonderful, wonderful tune. Three to four one, three, one eight seven three. Have you ever been ghosted by a prospective employer, so when you've applied for a job, they haven't had the couragey to get back to you. Michael, have you been in that situation?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 15: Okay mate, yeah I have. Actually, mine's a very unique sort of story because, after all, recently I was happily semi retired of just working a couple of days here and there, and out of the blue, a coworker, a friend rang me where I used to work and said what was I doing? And I said, oh, not much, you know, just just doing bitter this bit of that. He said, would you be interested in coming back to work for us? So I thought about it for a few days because I was sort of going to go back to full time work coming off semi retirement. And I thought, yeah, i'll do That was a good place to work. So I went in and saw them, and I saw the manager who I knew quite well, and we had a chat and he stood there and he shook me hand and he said it's going to be great to have you back. And I said, look, I'm going overseas for on for two weeks holiday. And I said I'd like to start when I get back. He said, we'll have it all organized when you get back. You'll be starting back at work, and I said sweet. Anyway, I went on the when I overseas, and I had some correspondence through email because I had to have an interview with the HR department just out of pad of like you know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, process. That was it.
Speaker 15: Anyway, I thought it went pretty good. Anyway, I got a message to say that they weren't going to proceed with the employment and I couldn't understand why. And so when I got back to Australia, I rang the manager to see what was going on, and he wouldn't take the call. And I send the messages and everything to him and he never returned them. So I went from being basically employed as by his word, who not employed, and I'd already given notice where I was working.
Speaker 2: That is disgusting, Michael. I mean that that's even the worst category. That you've actually been given the job and quit your job as a result. I'm sorry to hear that you've been in that position.
Speaker 1: Michael.
Speaker 2: I'm getting lots of messages about this, and I'm not going to get to all of your responses on this but Andrew makes a good point. Let's call it for what it is. It's not ghosting. Ghosting is just another word for being unprofessional and rude. Tracy says, funny, bring this up today. I applied via indeed with Telstra in April. No reply. I actually emailed them for the fourth time to day, expressing the lack of respect and manners and how disgraceful it was from such a large company. Haven't heard back from.
Speaker 1: Them this Sidney now whip Clinton on.
Speaker 2: To gb This news just in why killer Chris Dawson's legal challenge has effectively ended. This news has just been revealed that he has been denied special leave to appeal to the High Court against his murder conviction for killing his wife, Lynnette, and effectively this closed the case. He has run out of legal avenues. This was his last ditch bid for freedom. It has been rejected by the nation's highest court. A very brief judgment has been published online today and this now means that Dawson will spend the rest of his life in jail as he should. The judgment says the application the applicant requires an extension of time within which to seek special leave to appeal from the whole judgment of the Court Criminal Appeal of New South Wales. The applicant appealed against his conviction to the Court Criminal Appeal, which found error on the part of the trial judge, but dismissed the appeal on the basis that no substantial miscarriage of justice had occurred. There is no reason to doubt the correctness of the decision of the Quarter Criminal Appeal, including its dismissal of the appeal, notwithstanding the trial judge's errors. Accordingly, it will be futile to grant an extension of time. Special leave to appeal is refused. Good it means Chris Dawson will die in jail.
Speaker 1: Be a part of Sydney. Now with Clinton Maynard called one three one eight.
Speaker 2: Sixteen past four. I've brought you the story this afternoon about the transition for our electric bus fleet from traditional diesel buses gas buses to electric and it's not going well. Confirmed with me from Transport for New South Wales after a tip off from one of our listeners who's a bus driver, that all seventy two buses that have been ordered from Custom Denning. Custom Denning is a Sydney based manufacturer. So great that we have Australian manufacturing, but all seventy two buses need your back. Tes Howard Collins is the Transport for New South Wales Director General. Thanks for joining me, Howard, Thank you very much. Kinton, this sounds like a complete stuff up.
Speaker 16: Well, I think we've got to look at the industry and say, look, Custen Denning doing a great job. Our only real Australian manufacturer from ground upwards put their industry and chose a battery made in Europe. Unfortunately, this battery has proved very unreliable, so we have agreed with them we removed all seventy two.
Speaker 1: The good news.
Speaker 16: Though, is they have finally dealt with and agreed with the manufacturer of this battery to have a new type that's been sorted in the factory. Now they're probably a dozen vehicles being retrofitted. It takes a while for that to be done. There are vehicles already out and yes they're probably fifteen vehicles still waiting to be changed out. This can't be done overnight. It's not just a plug in. New battery goes in a bit like you know, you're your video recorder or something. Like that. It is really something which has got to be But are good on custom denning. You know, they're one of few Australian true Australian manufacturers. We are buying other vehicles from other states. We are We're not rushing this. We are behind the rest of the world. And to be honest, you know, every day I walk out the front door of Elizabeth Street, I hear the smooth quietness of dozens of electric buses.
Speaker 2: So those electric buses, how that you hear that are running? Where are they from? Are they're the ones from China? Are they from Europe?
Speaker 16: They are all sorts of different manufacturers. It is true that to get ourselves moving, this is a long journey, over a ten year program to replace four thousand vehicles. The first seventeen hundred are on their way, probably about three to five hundred a year. Some of them have direct manufacturing from abroad. But we are working with those manufacturers to gradually remove the content which comes from from other countries and set up fatteries to start to assemble and then manufacture custom denning. It's a bit like David versus Goliath. They have worked very hard to get an all Australian product apart from German gearboxes and what was a French battery. But that comes with what we call infant mortalities and challenges. You know, when other countries are building seventy seven thousand a year, they've had plenty of chance to get the reliability up. It's a bit like a Toyota, you know. They're the most reliable vehicles, I think, in the world because they've made millions of them.
Speaker 2: So the batteries were from France. These are the batteries that were installed in the seventy two buses, so they're now being replaced. My information from your stuff yesterday was that only two replacement buses are on the road.
Speaker 16: They're literally on the road with the companies. But what we're doing is there are dozens in the fattery at Custom Denning inside the sin Marri's alongside the Element to vehicles, which are the new version of this vehicle, which is a significant sort of improvement and certainly a lot of lessons learn. The issue we have here is the battery company and Custom Denning needed to have a great conversation about who's responsible, where's the warranty. That conversation took place it meant that for a while the vehicles had to sit in storage because we didn't want unreliable vehicles breaking down. But there again they needed to sort out with their supplier, who is accountable. That's now happened. New versions of the batteries are coming in, they're being supplied, they're in the factory and workers are changing those out.
Speaker 2: So when will the whole seventy two fleet be on the road?
Speaker 16: I reckon in the next few months we will see them all back in service. We are also introducing lots of other vehicles, the Element too's vehicles from other manufacturers, so we'll start to see more and more vehicles in Sydney starting to become electric.
Speaker 2: I've had drivers of these particular buses get in contact would be saying they were seriously concerned for the safety of the bus and the passages because they would stop at a set of traffic lights and the bus wouldn't start up again.
Speaker 16: I think there was that, and I think that's why we took the decision several months ago to say, look, we cannot accept this reliability issue and safety risks, so they were withdrawn from service. That hasn't put pressure on the bus companies because obviously they lost a lot of vehicles. But now the story is, and it's a clear story. They are less in storage, more in production. They've got a new battery fitted. We're going through a rigorous testing process before it gets to the bus operator and we've got good support from Custom Denny. It will take time. But like all brand new things which start from nothing, and sometimes you buy a component it doesn't work, you have to say, let's have.
Speaker 2: A different one, because you know, on the surface, I've got to say how and it just looks like to me. And I've been to that factory in some areas and it was announcement made by the previous coalition government, but it seems to me that there's so much rush to get electric vehicles on the roads. We're doing it before we're ready. And this was again confirmed by transporting yourself. I was a few months ago. We confirmed that diesel generators were being used to power it up the buses, which sort of defeats the purpose of the whole thing. Not all the buses, mind youself.
Speaker 16: Understand that, but look, the most important thing is we want to and this government wants to support local manufactory. But you're starting from a fledgling organization is working very hard to catch up. You know, we could have done, like many people do, you know, buy a load of off the shelf figure you know, entirely from another country which they made hundreds of thousands of vehicles. That is not the policy. We want to work through that. Yes, we've got to buy some imported vehicles, but over time we do see the opportunity for local manifest attering like it used to be where a lot of company's got involved in building great buses made in Australia, if not New South Wales. And that's what we're going to see over the next three to four years, seventeen hundred vehicles will be here. The other thing, Plon is not only as you say, buying the electric buses. We're opening our first major conversion of a bus electrification charging in Brookvale very soon. In the next couple of months. We're starting to see other bus depots being converted. It's a long game though, you can't do this overnight. This is like going from steam trains to diesel. It takes time.
Speaker 2: We've got to get it right though. Thank you, Howitt, thank you very much. Indeed, Howard Collins, who is the Transport for New South Wales Coordinator General. So there are the facts. All seventy two buses need new batteries, so they're in the factory at some areas at the moment. They're also being stored in storage facilities. There are depots not being used to them because they need new batteries. They ain't on the roads past four. Significant day for Virgin Australia. They've started their long tauted flight partnership with Qatar Airways. Now this will put more pressure on Quartus. It certainly steps up competition. Hopefully what it does for US is bring down some prices. So a daily Sydney Doha connection on Quitar planes is underway. That's now in service. That we followed by flights from Brisbane and Perth later in the month and then from Melbourne in December. Australia's second biggest airline has announced this is all underway. They have a what's called a wet lease arrangement, so Qatar provides aircraft and crew and maintenance to operate the roots, but they're then sold as Virgin flight. So you think you're buying well, you're on a Virgin website, you book yourself particularly you think you're jumping on a virgin plane. Probably not, It's probably a Quitar Airlines plane. What if you think about the merit of NAT, what the plan is, What hopefully happens is it puts pressure on the market as a whole and it brings down our prices. Mark Guy coming up after five point thirty. There is a lot of rugby league news today, particularly given that Mitchell Moses has been forced to pull out of the New South Wales State of Origin side. He has a calf injury suffered in the Blue Mountains the training camp. He's been replaced by Jerome Lewy. But this story broke breaking this afternoon. Sam Walker, who was meant to make a comeback to the Sydney Roosters, he's been out with an acl anterior cruciate ligament knee injury. He was to play against Newcastle on Saturday. He's been forced to pull out. So he's suffered a thumb injury. Apparently he's got a sore thumb. Actually it's a broken thumb and for a football who needs be able to catch the ball, that ain't great. So unfortunately Sam Walker has been ruled out of the Sydney Rooster's side to play Newcastle. It is hope that he won't be out for too long and certainly will be back in time for the Roosters to play in the semi finals. Let's check out his headlines an ease, update, upgrade and save with Winston with a Wine in twenty five percent of motorized blinds, curtains and dawnings.
Speaker 1: Book now at Winston dot com dot as.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, Katie Pullack.
Speaker 9: Good afternoon. Clinton Police are treating the deaths of a man and woman on Sydney Northern Beaches as suspicious. The pair was found with lacerations inside a granny flat at Forestville, days after they were last seen by neighbors. Seventy two buses, which are part of the city's new electric fleet, already need new batteries. Transport for New South Wales says the vehicles are being retrofitted with better working batteries. An investigation has found no corruption in the federal government's controversial payout to former Liberal staff of Britney Higgins. Miss Higgins was paid two point four million dollars in compensation after alleging she was raped at Parliament House, and Disney and Universal have launched a copyright infringement lawsuit against AI image generator mid Journey for using images of its famous cartoon characters. It's the first major legal battle between Hollywood Studios and an AI firm. In Sport, Blues winger Brian Tole will be given until Saturday to prove his fitness for State of Origin. Two Toe is strong, ruggling with a hamstring injury ahead of Wednesday nights clash in Perth. Clinton More News at five.
Speaker 2: Thank you Katie. Now down to fourteen and a half degrees in the city at the moment. In Lucas Heights it's also fourteen degrees. Get ready, Sydney. From next week, we are going to spin two GB's Winter Wheel. What's the Winter Wheel all about. It's about giving you the chance to win money and we're turning up the heat forty thousand dollars worth of cash and prizes to give away. All you need to do is listen across the day for your chance to spin the wheel. You could be warming up this winter with cold hard cash, forty thousand dollars of it. We are spinning the wheel in breakfast mornings afternoons and on this show, Sydney now two GB's winter Wheel. It starts spinning from Monday, so don't miss out. Keep listening to two GB.
Speaker 1: Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard. If it's happening in your sitting, you'll hear it on Sydney Now to GB.
Speaker 2: Sure to people are always the butt of all the jokes.
Speaker 4: What have my groom to be?
Speaker 1: Lord Farquat? What's he late?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 1: Let me put it this way, Prince Alice, Men of far Quard stats are in short supply.
Speaker 17: Oh no, check, there are those who think little of him.
Speaker 2: From shit and now confirmation confirmation. A study at the ACU has confirmed short Man's syndrome is real. The study has findings showing that shorter men are more likely to exhibit feelings of jealousy, envy, and competitiveness than taller men. Psychological perceptions of heights significantly influence social dynamics and behaviors. While the study is revealed that shorter men are more likely to display jealousy and competitiveness than taller men, it's also revealed that men and women who are satisfied with their height are less likely to exhibit these qualities and be disconnected from how tall they are, so that is now proof based on a study that's been conducted at the ACU, the Australian Catholic Unity confirmation that short Man syndrome is actually real. The big political issue of the day has been the future of the Orcas pack with the UK and the United States, and in particular what happens with our submarine deal with the United States. It's formally under review by the Trump administration. Now, whether this is a surprise or not, you tell me. But confirmation today that the PM and the Prime Minister is traveling to the G seven conference. Confirmation today that he's actually yet to secure a formal sit down meeting with Donald Trump. So we had been given the indication that mister Albineasy would meet with mister Trump on what they call the sidelines of the conference and would have a one on one discussion with him, and he then had the opportunity to say, mister Trump, don't forget our submarines. Don't forget the submarines. Will'll be worth a lot of money to the United States. But it would help for the PM to actually be able to face mister Trump and say, I know we've got all the dramas of the tariffs you love our Hamburgers. Let's sort out the beef. But can we get this Orchest deal done? But confirmation now that as it stands right now a meeting is not actually locked in. Lots of text messages here about our electric buses. Mark says, you just have to look at the bus depet BROOKVA. You'll see they have a huge diesel generator operating there going green. It's a load of rubbish. Another Mark has contacted me. This is typical of manufacturing when it comes to governments. I've been in manufacturing for thirty years. Governs never make one as a prototype first and then test it and then modify it for it to keep on happening. And that's why we end up having some of these problems.
Speaker 1: On Sydney Now. You can't handle the truth the streets too well.
Speaker 2: As luck would have it, our straight shooter on a Thursday afternoon is none other than the former Transport lister David Elliott. And David Elliott was in the chair when these deals were done. So just to recap what's occurred here, we've had confirmation now from Howard Collins Transport from New South Wales that the seventy two buses that have been ordered from Custom Denning based in Saint Mary's have problems with their patricks. In fact, entire fleet to seventy two needs new batteries. Most of them are either being held in storage at the moment. There are two that have been repaired that are on the roads. The rest arey that at St. Mary is now being fitted with some a different type of battery. The others are up on blocks. Basically, you would not have been aware of these issues when you sign the deal.
Speaker 18: No clet I mean there's always a risk when you go into new technology like that. There's always a risk, whether it's government or the private sector.
Speaker 10: It's a shame.
Speaker 18: Custom Dennings when I dealt with them, were first class in Western Sydney. I was a little bit worried about economies of scale because compared to some of the other manufacturers, our order and their ability to meet our demands were somewhat limited. The idea of electric buses has its pros and cons. I was always in favor of it. You know, I'm thinking about an electric bus going down the Church Street. Paramatter, you'd prefer to have an electric bus and diesel coming into your pasta and your pizzas when you're having dinner al fresco there at Paramatus.
Speaker 2: That was a good idea. And see that's where I think if you put the issues of climate change just to one side, and I know you've got your opinions on that, but just put that to one side. I'm actually not opposed the idea of electric buses because diesel buses. I've had different views here from our listeners, but they can be spewing out that thick, toxic smoke and if you are around them, it's not exactly pleasant. The electric I've been on the electric buses, they're pleasant, They're quiet. And then in regards to charging, if you've got the charging infrastructure in place, because they run on a timetable, you should be able to develop a timetable whether it enything's not going to run out of power at some point. But it seems to me this transition is just it's not working.
Speaker 18: So and it depends on where you are. As I used to have a unity ticket with Matt Kean on some of these matters. I used to say to them, we should be good custodians of the earth, but let's not wreck the economy. And I think what we're seeing here. With the electric buses they had, they were great to travel in, they were very quiet, they were pleasant to be a passenger in. We've had hybrid cars at home and I hate them because I can never work out when Nichole is driving up the driveway and you know, when I have to put the cigar out and put the put the wine away, because you don't know that it's very quiet. But I think that we and and of course, you know, let's face it, solar panels have been good for the economy, good for families. But I also there's there's a sidebar to the story too. With electric buses, they're much heavier, and as I've said on this program before, you know, I worry the work that I do with the Institute of Public Works. I don't think people are prepared for what the damage they're going to do to the roads, particularly the electric buses. And of course I'm worried about all those wooden bridges that are around regional New South Wales. But there's still a few in the peri urban areas. So it's it is going to be a transition, and this is a hiccup. I'll tell you one thing though, If there was one person in this country that I would trust to be able to manage this through where that's Howard Collins. He was a second best appointment Gladys purroject Land ever made what was the first well modesty for.
Speaker 2: Biers, the police minister, the transfermittis. But just finally on this electric buses issue, and you mentioned the economies of scale, Gladys biogically and famously said, and I was standing there at the press conference when she said it. She said it out at Sydney Olympic Park during a COVID press conference when we were questioned about I think it was the local ferries at the time local transmit instructure. She did, We're not good at it and Labour's had a field day with that for years. But do you think maybe the Labor government now they have to manage this situation is realizing because they are bringing flat pack busses in from China that they have to be put together down in the era. Well she knows, you know, it's not eatually flat packed. They're fully completed buses. They're just having the open card readers put inside them. Are they now realizing it? It's all and good to say, Yet we want Australian manufacturing. It ain't that easy to do.
Speaker 18: We've all said it in opposition, you know, we've all been protecting us in opposition because we think that it's the best way of placating the electric But yep, Gladys was right, and she was penalized for saying the truth. And there are things that much better made overseas, just like there are things that are better made in Australia, particularly food stuffs and agriculture. And but yeah, you're right. I mean I think I think Chris Mins and John Graham are learning the hard way with this one.
Speaker 2: Yeahn three, I wouldn't mind you calls on this one if you've got an opinion on how we're dealing with issues with youth crime. It's been highlighted throughout the day a mother who is of the belief that her son actually needs some tough love by the cops.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 18: Well, I mean Clinton, I said this as police minister. I said, if my sons were over at risk of breaking the law, I would expect the police to search them because I would prefer them to be fined for having something illegal on them, then jailed for committing a crime. After the event, and I think what we've seen into the front page of the Telegraph today James Willis's story is the next step in that. I mean tough love is important. When I was corrected when I was Minister Responsible for Juvenile Justice, I said there are three things that a kid needs. They needed three square meals a day, a healthy diet, they need plenty of organized activities, and they need someone to love them enough to say no. And if you say no to a child, that means that you care for them, and they understand that they're parameters. And I think what this poor woman has said, and I'm told the kid is a really decent kid, he's good at school, but he's just in with the wrong crowd. And it does take a police officer. And Mick Fuller got criticized because he said, I think it's not a bad it's not a bad situation when kids fear the police because the risk of punishment is part of making sure our teenagers stay on the straight and narrow.
Speaker 2: If you're a view on that, send me a text message zero force e eight seven three seven three. Have you been in a situation when you've been bringing up your kids and you realize they maybe are going off the rails where you'd actually be grateful for some police action. Let us know, send me a text message zero force zero eight seven three eight seven three. David Elliott's with me our straight Shooter for a Thursday, just some messages on the sh of youth crime. Rich it as a suggestion, he says, why don't we change the legislation as it was in the nineteen sixties underage youth crime recidivism. They could be sent to farm camps, send them out bush.
Speaker 18: Maybe, yeah, and it's happened a lot, but unfortunately it can be pretty expensive and you'll have somebody coming and saying, of course, you know we've put them all in the army. Well, that's the last thing we need to do, because most of these kids, you don't want to tell a professional soldier that that you know their their their vocation is so disrespected that only the dregs of society can go to them. And if they if they want to be there, they they're going to. You're going to You're going to be a complete distraction. But I think there's no doubt that those organized activities that we used to put in for juvenile justice worked, and there were kids that you know would deliberately commit an offense the week before Christmas because they prefer to be in juvenile detention and be at home for Christmas. And I went out there a couple of times on Christmas Eve, and Nicole and I went up to one juvenile justice place on Christmas Eve and it was just so sad because you could tell these kids this was their safe place, was it, you know, the Central Case Juvenile Justice facility.
Speaker 2: Kel says in the text line look forget our kids. Personally, I was always scared, slash respected the police during my life. Otherwise I'm sure I would have pushed the limits.
Speaker 18: Yeah, and I mean it's it's a healthy thing for austraints to make sure that their police are you know, reflective of our values. And but yeah, that's what Mick Fuller said, you know, make sure that there's if there is not, there's nothing wrong with a little bit of fear. But on the flip side, that's why, you know, things like the blue light discos are always so good. That's why police Citizens Youth clubs. You and I used to call them police boys clubs, But that's why the police Citizens Youth clubs are all fantastic because they can give the children that direction. And you know, I'm a great believer of the it takes a village to raise a child. I haven't been the perfect father. Nobody has been a perfect father, but you know, I've always had friends and relatives and in laws and the like that have being there to assist me in raising my two boys. And the fact that they are where they are these days suggest that it was a good formula.
Speaker 2: Daniel Mookie will be one of my guests tomorrow on the program. The State's treasure will be talking about what's coming up in the budget. It's going to be handed down that mister Boki's going to hand down in a couple of weeks. But we'll also touch on the issue of workers' compensation. And even though you're from the other side of politics, you have some admiration for Daniel in this area.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 18: And I've seen Chris Mins and Daniel Mookie a couple of times in the last week as they sell their government's reforms, and I've got to say I'm very very impressed that they took on the unions in this way. I'm very concerned that the opposition want to play political football with it, and I've made my views cleared. A number of shadow ministers, Daniel Lookie and Chris Mins, are trying to stop the business world from having to cop up to thirty seven percent increase in workers' compensation premiums because I've just been roughted to the extent that I've got. There's one hotel that I'm aware of in Sydney and the CBD that's paying one point three million dollars in a premium just for workers compensation. That can't go on. We're all going to pay for it. You talk about inflation, this is inflation. And I'm very disappointed that the Coalition wants to play political football. I tell you why, Clinton, because in nineteen ninety nine, Peter Collins, as Opposition leader, told Bob Carr he would give him support to reform and privatize electricity. When Peter got rolled, the base of the Liberal Party thanked the Liberal Party for walking away from that policy by relieving them of twenty seats. By relieving them of twenty seats, so if we walk away from the business community here and Men's has done a great job in wedging the Liberal Party from the business community. On Tuesday, there was a breakfast three hundred business leaders were basically rapparable that the coalition was making them delay this.
Speaker 2: We've spoken about the LA rights throughout the week and the incidents that Australian journalists, including some who we regularly speak to on this program. Lawrence to Marsi, you've been at the center at you worked with the peacekeeping mission some years ago, but your job was actually the liaise with media.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 18: So my job, as when I was peacekeeping in Bogainville, was primarily to provide liaison civil authorities, but also to host journalists that came into the area of operations. So any journalists that came into Bogainville, that was my job to keep them safe. And I learned a very very important lesson there, and that is without journalists, we have no accountability. Can you imagine if there was no journalists on October seven, if there was no journalists in the Ukraine, if there were no journalists in LA. Now, setting aside the extreme views of what's going on in Los Angeles, there is a cause for concern in Western democracies when journalists get prohibited from doing their job. And it was a very important role in my mind when you're in the military and you're hosting the media because that's how the truth gets out, and there's nobody held accountable if there's no journalists.
Speaker 2: A good point. Just coinally, tomorrow, Telegraph, your column will be the best excuses we can use.
Speaker 18: Ben English must have been lied to for one one time too many last week, because he's tasked me with finding the best excuses I've ever heard, and excuses for having a little bit too much to drink, excuses for being home laid, excuses for having lipstick on your collar. There so nothing that you and I have ever been concerned about that, but I have heard others who got in trouble for that say yes, it's it's it's It's very much a handbook for suburban dads.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, it's important. Best excuses.
Speaker 18: Excuses are like excuse they like tissues. You should only use them once.
Speaker 2: Doesn't work a second time around. He thanks David, Thank you Clinton. How straight shooter On a Thursday, David Elliott.
Speaker 1: On GV, this is sitting now.
Speaker 2: We've questioned me seven past five. There's been dramas on the roads, as they usually is at this time of the days. You've heard with Steve this afternoon. A car's on fire Hugh Motorway southbound the off ramp in the Reland Road in Campbelltown. We've just been speaking with Adam Newbury from Fine Rescue off air. He tells us that one truck is currently on the scene. The crews have now extinguished the fire, but it has spread to the grass. It looks like it looks like it's now been extinguished. Yeah, I'm just getting some information through at the moment. The grass fire is now out. Police are expected to be on the scene shortly because they've got to conduct some traffic management there. The TMC is also at the scene. Listeners have now told us off air the traffic is an absolute car park, so one of two southbound lanes remains closed. So it's the Hume southbound off ramped in the Relan Road in Campbelltown. Please take some care there.
Speaker 1: Sitney now with Clinton Maynard. If it's happening in your city, you'll hear it on Sydney Now to gb Well, you follow.
Speaker 2: This with Mark Levy this morning. The shooting just after nine o'clock in Maryland's and you'll see the vision on the news tonight. There was a home where gunmen have opened fire on it just after about quarter past nine this morning in Earl Street. There was no one in the house at the time. Short time later police have discovered a burnt out Porsche and it's suspected that vehicle was linked to the shooting. But the significant twist in this the house is home to the head of the Alameddine crime network. This is a man who's currently before the courts. He has charged with some very serious drug offenses and it turns out he wasn't home at the time. Why because he was actually driving to the paramounta local court, and he was making an application to the court about potentially being able to move house. Because when you're given bail, you are required to live at a particular event. It is address, it's spelled out in the documents, your bail documents. Well, this bloke didn't want to keep living there because he was worried about his safety. I spoke with Detective Superintendent Jason Box, who is the commander of the new Task Force Falcon about what occurred started the program.
Speaker 3: Porsche stopped out the front of those premises and a number of shots were fired into those premises. The vehicle was tracked to Chester Hill. It was burnt out. They've jumped into another vehicle being a Hyundai that was followed by poll Air and police stopped that went to stop that vehicle. The three occupants ran from the vehicle. They apprehended a short time later, and they're all in custody and there being spoke and every by investigators at this moment.
Speaker 2: So those three are still being interviewed at the moment. But I asked Jason about the Alamedan head hon show and the fact that he was on his way to court at the time.
Speaker 3: I can't comment who lives in that premises, but there was a bile variation sought by a member of the alamedin ACN occurring today.
Speaker 2: Well, that man was it would appear to be the target of this gangland shooting. And that's why Task Force Falcon has been formed because unfortunately, some of these crooks involved in this gang lan warre actually not very good at their jobs, and they have been known to get the wrong address. Sometimes they punch an address into their Sat nave into their iPhone, they don't get the right place, and they've been known to shoot up houses where their intended target actually isn't so this likely was the intended target, this boss of the Alabadin crime gang. Problem would be if they maybe get the wrong house and end up shooting somebody who's simply an innocent person sleeping in their bed at the time one through one, eight seven three. Now police have been at the scene of a home in Forestville throughout the day. You would have heard been discussed this this morning, the bodies of a man and woman found inside a grainy flat at a home in Cannons Parade, Forestville. Now, the bodies are still to be formally identified and police are still investigating exactly what's transpired here. The man is aged in his forties, the woman is a in his early fifties. Superintendent John Duncan hasn't ruled out the possibility of a murder suicide at.
Speaker 19: This point in time. It's still being processed. All I can say is there are two bodies in there. They have got lacerations to them. I can't give you any more details about what their cause of death thought, the level of injuries because it's still being processed by our crime scene and so at this point police are not revealing any further information. There is some speculation. The bodies may well have been that grainy flat for several weeks.
Speaker 1: If it's happening in Sydney, you'll hear it on Sydney now with Clinton Maynard on to gb in.
Speaker 2: Order the General's report has been released today into the way the government is managing poke machines in New South Wales and it's been quite critical. Now. The government came to power in twenty twenty three with an opposing view of how poke machines should be regulated to the Coalition. As you know, the former Premier Dominic Perrote wanted to introduce cashless gaming and the Labour Party is very much opposed to that. Well, the Order of the General has found that not in is being done effectively to monitor gambling and particularly to follow up problem gamblers. The Premier Chrismins though he has spoken about this today and he says the government is pursuing a range of measures.
Speaker 5: Everything from signs out the signage at the front of pubs and clubs having to be removed, to the introduction of problem gambling individuals on staff who are responsible for those that might be not gambling responsibly.
Speaker 2: I spoke with the greens Kate family earlier in the program. The opposition is also spoken about this today and they're all still pushing for a cashless gaming plan. Reality is that Labor Party is not interested in that. Twelve past five coming up, we're going to do a deep dive into the man being hailed as America's Mozart, Brian Wilson, who's passed away at the age of two thirteen past five. From the first to July, like many things, the price of your internet service could go up. Now we know insurance policies are going up, your energy bills will be going up. The likelihood is telecommunications costs are also going to rise. I wanted to check in with our partners at the NBN, and the NBN do advertise with us, but I wanted to have a look at what effect this price rise is going to have on you in the coming weeks and months. Jane McNamara is from NBN and joins us.
Speaker 1: Hello, Jane, good to be really.
Speaker 20: Clinton looked, like so.
Speaker 2: Many people in business and utilities and retailers, you are having to put some prices.
Speaker 20: Up on July one, That's right, So look from the first of July, there will be changes to the wholesale prices. That's the prices that NBN charge the phone and internet providers. And look, on average, those wholesale prices will be adjusted by just under the annual percentage change in the consumer pricing depths. So what that actually equates to is on our most popular residential plans across technologies and that fixed line network, that fiber technology base, the average wholesale price will increase between zero dollars and a dollar seventy one per month. And look, I think it's a good reminder that internet retailers set the retail price. So we charge the phone in internet providers the wholesale price, and then the internet retailers you know, charge you, me and our listeners a plan price depending on what plan you choose with them.
Speaker 2: And so it might have been that the retailer increases the price by more than that wholesale price will look at even less.
Speaker 20: Quite possibly that's right, And so I think it's a really important reminder for our listeners that if they haven't already heard from their phone in internet provider, we know a lot of them have actually already communicated with their customers about you know, price changes. If you haven't, maybe checking with them and you know, I think always it's a good annual thing to do. Check what plan you're on. You know, are you still on the right plan? Do you maybe need to get a different sort of plan depending on how much you know you need the NBN, how many connected devices you have, Chat to your phone an internet provider and ask the question which is the right plan?
Speaker 2: Which is important because you as the wholesale the NBA is the provider. You are releasing new technology and regularly you have Accelerate Great, which is being released I think in September, So then that would mean that there would be some changes to plans.
Speaker 20: Exactly right, And you know, do check in with your provider, you know today and say Accelerate Great, which we're launching on the fourteenth of September, where we're going to have you know, super fast speeds on the NBN, the fastest speeds that you know we've offered consumers and customers you know, we're going to provide that up to ten to so five to ten times faster than the plans that people are currently on. So we want to make sure people check in with their phone and internet provider to see how they can get one of those plans. And what they might need to do now to get ready for that come September fourteen.
Speaker 2: And should they consider bundling it with other services.
Speaker 20: I think that, you know, I think that's a great opportunity, you know, because lots of the phone and internet providers want your business. There's so much competition. There's more than one hundred and twenty fine in internet providers, so they're starting to do things, you know, to really peak our interest, bundling in entertainment services with you know, your mobile plan and then your home broadband plan. So it is a really good way to, you know, ask for a better deal, try and save some money, and maybe if your provider can't do that for you, have a look at what other providers are around and might best meet your needs and your budget.
Speaker 2: Shop around. Good advice. Thank you, Jane, Thanks so much, Jane mcdamara from NBN. Thanks to NBN. Look, they are partners of our program. Great things are happening every minute on NBN and you can check out their website NBN dot com dot you. But I wanted to talk to Jane today because there's been some stories in the papers you would have read this morning about all the various different services that are going up in price, and that does include Internet. So the wholesale Internet NBN charge is going to go up by up to a dollars seventy one per month. It'll then be up to your provider how they pass that on. The message is just shop around because you might then be able to find yourself a better deal. Coming up next, a deep dive into the Life of Brian Wilson twenty one past five. If you'd like to send text messages zero four six, zero eight seven three eighty seven three. Film makes the point on the Internet costs going up and NBN's ULSAE price will increase by up to a dollars seventy five. Phil says, well, yeah, op just will just add five dollars extra and that's where it's going to count. To shop around because there are so many different providers. I think there's actually something one hundred and fifty providers on problem gambling and the report that's been realised by the Order of the General Today, one of our listeners says, I'm a social Pokey's user, but what I've also noticed in some place is that i can order a beer while I'm playing and they'll bring it to you and then they pay for it when they take your order. If this wasn't available, I'd actually have to get up and then go to the bar, and so then I might change my mind on still playing the Pokeys. So effectively they're almost encouraging me to play the Pokeys.
Speaker 11: Wesh sad news today.
Speaker 2: In the world of music, the passing of Brian Wilson, the genius behind the Beach Boys, eighty two years of age. His music shaped the sound of the sixties. He turned surf music into an art. He gave us absolute classics.
Speaker 1: She's getting a bargain.
Speaker 2: She's just an amazing composition and as I said at the start of the show, a song I rank in at least the top three of all.
Speaker 1: Time good.
Speaker 2: God Only Knows from pet Sounds. Paul McCartney once said, God Only Knows is one of the few songs that reduces him to tears every time he hears it. He called it one of the greatest songs ever written. Let's bring in doctor J. D. O Reagan. Now she's from the Sydney Conservatory of Music. Her PhD focused on the Beach Boys. She is an expert when it comes to Brian Wilson. Jadie, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 21: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Jade. How do you feel today after hearing the news that Brian Wilson has died.
Speaker 21: Well, it's funny when you mentioned that quote about Paul McCartney. We've got only no sort of bringing him to tears. I was really feeling them just listening to that on the phone just before. But yeah, I mean, it's a really sad day, but it's also a really great day to celebrate his beautiful music and the fact that we had him in our lives for so long against such you know, strong odds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God only knows. And you mentioned strong odds because he was a challenged man. He went through years of drug abuse, he lived at a hermit. At one point he and Lady's had dementia. But in the nineteen sixties, in his peak when he recorded Pet Sounds, what made that And you're an expert when it comes to this, what made Pets Sound so special?
Speaker 21: I mean, it's not such a huge question, and I think there's probably a lot of things that make that record particularly special and particularly resonant, because I think what Brian Wilson was uniquely able to do was to do things that were incredibly musically adventurous and playful, while also being very accessible and relatable. And so I think in Brian Wilson's music on pet Sounds, which is a kind of a concept album about sort of loss of innocence, it's him sort of farewelling the beach and then wondering what life may be like kind of as an adult, And I just think that's a very human experience, and the vulnerability on that record in particular, I think he's just so deeply resonant to many people, myself included, because.
Speaker 2: He went through struggles. As I mentioned, he had his drug addictions, he had mental health.
Speaker 21: Issues, Yeah, he really did, and he had a really difficult life, you know. You know, his home life was particularly difficult. He had quite an abusive father. He had suffered from anxiety and stage fright, which meant that he, you know, performing was really difficult. He tussled with record labels who didn't really understand his music. And yeah, and like addiction, mental health issues which were not treated at the time, weren't really understood at the time, and yet he still managed to do all of these beautiful songs. Yeah, it's remarkable.
Speaker 2: Jadie, what about his influence on other artists. So I mentioned what Paul McCartney said, but he had a significant influence on the Beatles in the mid sixties. Was also the Stones, the Rolling Stones.
Speaker 21: Yeah, totally. And I think I mean particularly the Beatles and the Beach Or had this kind of like a loving rivalry between each other, you know, like it's sort of rubber soul, you know, inspired Brian to get to pet sounds and pet sounds, you know, the Beatles to get to Sudge and Pepper, and they were sort of Yeah, there's mis sort of funny arms race of you know, expanding musical ideas and so but I mean so far beyond pop music, you know. That's like I'm sure you've seen today just the amount of the sheer amount of artists who have commented on his loss is just it's so it's so far from just nineteen sixties pop music. It's it's all music over the last six decade.
Speaker 2: Oh, We've had reaction from Keith Richards, from the Stones, Elton John, but this is the one that really made an impact on me. It's a social media post from Sean Lennon, Yoko and John's son, and it says anyone who knows me knows how heartbrockohom about bron Wilson's passing. Not many people influenced me as much as he did. I feel very lucky I was able to meet him spend time with him. He was always very kind of generous. And this is this is the quote he was our American Mozart, a kind of genius for another world.
Speaker 21: Yeah, it's really beautiful. It's a really beautiful quote. And I think one that that's heard quite a lot about Brian referred to as a genius or a Bootsart or like our beat Hoven. That's that's been thrown around two and yeah, and I think it's just because he had such ambition, such a musical ambition, but also again such relevance.
Speaker 2: Jadie, thank you so much for the chat. Just before you go, your favorite Beatles Beach Boys.
Speaker 21: Song, Look it's so tough. I mean, you mentioned God only knows, but wouldn't it be nice? Has a really special spot in my heart. I just think it's one of the most joyous songs about the future and how wonderful it can be. And so yeah, definitely favorite one today.
Speaker 2: It's a cunning song. Becky Jadis doctor j D. O Reagan. Now she has a doctorate in the Beach Boys in Brian Wilson. Wouldn't it be.
Speaker 1: Nice an ease, update, upgrade and save with Winston with a wine percent of motorized Blinds, curtains and Dawnings. Book now at Winston dot com dot Au.
Speaker 9: And Good Afternoon Clinton. Chris Dawson has lost his final attempt to overturn his conviction for murdering his wife Lynette. The High Court has refused him special leave to appeal after the new South Wales Court of Criminal Appeal last year upheld the guilty verdict. Three men who have been arrested after the home of an alleged crime boss was sprayed with bullets in Sydney's West. Police chase the alleged defenders three backyards in Yagoona after finding a burnt out getaway car. Australian women are bearing the burden of the country's cost of living crisis. Survey shows women are less confident in how prepared they are for retirement than men, and a young humpback whale has been freed from shark nets on the Gold Coast. SeaWorld crews performed a three hour rescue mission in Sport. Australia is hunting early wickets when Day two resumes in the World Test Championship final against South Africa in London. South Africa is four for forty three in their first innings, still trailing by one hundred and sixty nine runs. Clinton More news at six.
Speaker 2: Yan KKD fourteen degrees in the city, eleven degrees in the West at the moment.
Speaker 1: Finance update deab night tonight.
Speaker 2: With Money News, Good evening, dead cold Clinton. We say good evening at twenty seven minutes to six.
Speaker 22: Yeah, I rackon, it sounds a formal too good evening too Clinton.
Speaker 2: I think once the sun goes down there, once the sun goes down, it's colder than it has been. Yeah, evening, that's for sure. It's been cold. What's the share market doing this week?
Speaker 22: Well, it looked like we're on track for another record today, but fall through the afternoon, including right up to the closing bells, saw the SX two hundred lowse point three percent, down twenty seven points to eight thousand, five hundred and sixty five. And it's all to do yet again with Donald Trump and his tariffs, because he's said today that he intends to contact trading partners of the US Australia included with this July nine deadline fast approaching pretty much saying we're going to send letters out and you can take it or leave it with the deals, and that sent futures markets down. That sent our market down, even though things are looking pretty good for a trade deal. That happen between the US and China did put the jitters into the market again, but the trade talk it stopped the slump of the Aussie dollar. At least it's sitting steady around sixty five US.
Speaker 2: We've had two interest rate cuts so far. It means we're now feeling more upbeat about our budget.
Speaker 22: A little bit now. The latest Combank household spending data is out and we'll go into further detail on that on Money News tonight, but it's effectively showing some green shoots with spending. So households with mortgages have got a bit of extra money to splurge, which is happening on some of life luxuries, hospitality, seeing people eating out a little bit more. But the rate of spinning recovery is still slower than had been expected, so we're still not quite there. To Shirley Bassi hay big spender days, but we're seeing a little bit more of the purse strings opening up.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 2: We don't offer investment advice on this program. No, you to see your financial crewary accounting for that. But the powerball is on the night and it's a big jackpot.
Speaker 22: Yes, and you if the odds of winning, let me put it this way, are not great because there's half of all adult Australians expected to get a ticket in this one.
Speaker 2: This is the one hundred million dollars, just as the.
Speaker 22: Biggest lottery prize being offered of the year one hundred million dollars. So that means you've got a one in one hundred and thirty four million chants of winning this thing. And only six people have ever won a powerball prize of over one hundred million dollars, so you'd be in rare company if you were to do it. And as they say, you've got to be in it to win it. And that may rules me out because I have not got myself a ticket.
Speaker 2: Now, I haven't bought a ticket ether so you did buy a ticket though, deb you win the one hundred million, what do you do do you quit?
Speaker 8: Your job.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, what.
Speaker 1: Are you crazy?
Speaker 22: I love I love the whole crips of like would you turn up to work?
Speaker 1: I would be.
Speaker 22: Out the door in a heartbeat. Get one hundred million dollars.
Speaker 2: I'll make this vow to you. If I win one hundred million dollars tonight, you would not.
Speaker 22: Be in tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I will be here tomorrow.
Speaker 22: Would not I would be disappointed.
Speaker 2: You'd be out.
Speaker 10: I will be here yourself.
Speaker 2: The program may slightly change to a three day week program.
Speaker 22: Yes, there would be changes that would be made.
Speaker 2: I'll be buying the Coronella Sharks. That's what I'm thinking about, old station.
Speaker 22: If you want a hundred million dollars, look out.
Speaker 2: Dev will be listening from seven o'clock to night. Thank you, deb night with Money News.
Speaker 1: You want to know what's happening in Sydney, stay tuned to sit me out with gw on to GBLY.
Speaker 2: I'll just go and buy the Sharks. Lots of messages here about the beach boys, Gary, says Brian Wilson. I agree with you. God only knows is right at the top. Good vibrations as well, not to mention in my room and Caroline. Brian Wilson musical genius. This email from Ian it was a privilege to see my favorite musicians, the Beach Boys, on four occasions. I sit in my lounger in thinking help me wander. Wouldn't it be nice, Barbaraan, you could join me in my room and help me keep Brian's memory alive and fresh. I don't like to wipe out the good vibrations the music. The concert's the wonderful group. God only knows the thrill they gave, and I wish I could do it again. What a legend. Thank you, mister Brian Wilson. We salute you.
Speaker 1: On Sydney. Now. A weather update will be here to help in unexpected weather. NRIM Insurance a help company.
Speaker 2: There is the risk of a shower or two developing this evening. Hopefully you can mostly drive cross most of the city fourteen degrees and the taste of the moment eleven degrees in the west Tomorrow. The forecast for Friday is for a shower all too with the top of sixteen degrees at this stage. On the weekend Saturday, the medium chances showers were seventeen. Sunday partly cloudy in eighteen but it should be dry Monday, sunny, nineteen.
Speaker 1: Degrees until six. This is Sydney now with Clinton Maynard on two GBS. You call now one three one a seventy three.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you what. There is so much Rugby League news this evening because the countdown to State of Origin is on and it's a disruptive preparation for the Blues.
Speaker 8: Hello Mark Guyer, Yeah, good morning, good morning, Good evening. Clinton. I'm thinking about that one hundred million dollars that you were just talking to with Devi and I'm just I'm off in Pixie Ay and thinking about what I'll do with it. But look, Mitch Moses. Devastating news for Mitch Moses, who was fantastic in Game one of the State of Origin. He's been ruled out of Origin two with a calf injury. About twenty minutes into today's field session, he felt something in his calf. Go confirmation is he'll be out of the game. Jerome Leui has been recalled to partners. He's Batman, He's Robin. They have a ninety percent winning percentage when they play alongside each other. Those Young Cleary, Nathan Cleary and Jerome lewis so unlucky for Mitch Moses. I really feel sad for him because he was so good in Game one, but opportunity beckons now for Jerome.
Speaker 2: Look, Mitch Moses is great last year as well, leading the team team to victory. But Jerome Leui was by his side last year in a winning combination, and I don't think he deserve to be dropped in the first place. Leui.
Speaker 8: Yeah, a lot of people for that, Quinton, you know, but I think Lourie Daily justified his selections. And because his kicking game in Game one, the both kicking game is unbelievable. Mitch Moses has probably got the best long kicking game in the game. He's the only player I think in the NURL who can kick a ball consistently sixty meters and there's not much of him. He like it for a guy who's probably seventy five eighty Kilosji gets hold of ball perfect time. But also in some other.
Speaker 16: News, Roosters fans block your ears.
Speaker 8: Sam Walker has broken his thumb at training, so he's come back from an ACL rupture, will now be put on ice for up to four to six weeks. Sam Walker has got way at least a month back on the foot.
Speaker 2: Bad news of Sam Walker. Now, MG, I've got a special guest with me in studio. It's a Dragons fan. It's a bloke who's wearing a dragon's jersey and a dragons.
Speaker 13: Thanks for the shout out yesterday suggesting that I was hanging around when they had ice boxes and no fridges.
Speaker 8: Yeah that was Clinton, mate, that was Clinton?
Speaker 2: Was I roll?
Speaker 8: Please?
Speaker 2: Tonight the Dragons are playing the Sharks, which is why Stanley is wearing the dragons jersey.
Speaker 1: Very entertaining.
Speaker 13: So if you want to chune into night from eight o'clock, we're going to be going through the poking apart this whole issue of aucas and whether we should be going about all. This is going to be it's our news out, so it's actually quite heavy. We talk about all these heavy issues. You're going to be able to see whether somebody we know can do two things at once.
Speaker 2: What do you reckon? What do you reckon? Can he host a radio program and watch the Dragons at the same time?
Speaker 8: He's a multitask here is mister Stanley. We know that, and I want to ask John Stanley while we've got him, Johnny, what do you think of a guy. Okay, it's intervention. It's in an intervention time for mister Clinton Maynard, because we just heard that if you won one hundred million dollars to night in the lottery, he'd buy his beloved Sharks. But I put this to you, John Stanley, he's not going tonight. He's not even wearing his jersey in protest of his team's horror performance last week. Now I say to you, John Stanley, is he a true supporter of.
Speaker 2: The You're not, John, You're not going either. Of course, it's not you're not going working.
Speaker 11: He's working to take the day off.
Speaker 13: He's got a lot of an in your leave and you're the best part of that's going to be when I win one hundred million, and I will use some of the money to give it big upgrade to that oval there in the middle of our territory, because we'll just reclaim our territory like Taiwan will eventually. You know, that's what we'll reclaim our territory and we'll use. In fact, I don't think it's much good because it's too hard to get to.
Speaker 2: I'll bring you some news on that in the moment. Stick around, John, So for tonight's game. You're a real fan, and admittedly, MG, I'm not going to the game tonight, really, and that's because I was pretty upset after last weekend's game and I'm a little superstitious, so I reckon Given we lost with my presence there last week, I think I'm doing the right thing by the club and the team because I'm a true supported by not going tonight, and I will be watching it on nine. I think they can have a better chance of winning without me there.
Speaker 8: That's glass half four instead a glass half MV. Anyway, look at a couple of milestones. So no I Mosa Sui won fifty games. Brittan Agora won fifty games. Both these teams are coming off drubbings. Dragons got beaten fifty six to six by the Dolphins last week and the Sharkis got beaten forty to ten by the Wires. A young kid got tonight. Nick Zugranis will make his debout for the Dragons at centers, So doing your Nicky, you work, brother, But unfortunately for the Dragons and Johnny Stanley, I think that the Sharkings will prevail.
Speaker 2: I'm tipping the Sharks as well.
Speaker 13: MG, boy, it was one of the biggest jigxus in the building.
Speaker 2: Thank you MG boys, Mark Guy. You'll hear him on the Continuous Call team and across the weekend. Just while you're there, John, I want to play you this. So I was watching Freddy in the eighth this week, the program presented by Brad Fittler, Andrew Johns and Dannik and Mason on Channel nine and they had a special guest. They had the Premier of New South Wales, Chris Mins, and they decided to talk to the Premier about grounds in the southern part of Sydney and what's the future of namely Shark Park and Cogra Oval. This is Andrew John's with the Premier.
Speaker 23: Fell off the rest of the Shark Park, which isn't too much, but the big one is you saw that whole block at Cogra Oval, and then you build a boutique stadium at Brighton l Sands or maybe down at Waterfall or in the Shire somewhere.
Speaker 1: Well, and Freddi consorter, you'd have apartment blocks where Cogra and huge.
Speaker 23: Yeah, men, you're so for the rest of Shark Park. Then you have a little bootique stadium which is sort of towards Wollongong Waterfall there the National Park and then people from the Shire don't have to travel too far. You know what it's like from the Shire.
Speaker 1: They closed the gates. But if it's there, we've got the train line there. Ad that's true.
Speaker 16: What do you reckon?
Speaker 1: I like it, well, we would look at it. Probably.
Speaker 5: The big problem with the plan is the Dragons fans and the Sharks fairs don't don't tend to want to share a stadium.
Speaker 1: You know, the boss mate, you know the Boss.
Speaker 2: I don't get it either of So that was Joey John's idea to solve the housing crisis in Sydney because rose Hill fell over, still off Cogra Oval for apartments and still off Shark Park for apartments.
Speaker 13: It's council wol down the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but as they point out, as they pointed out, Chris Means is the boss, now I was it.
Speaker 13: Means did not have but did not have the kahunas whatever we call them, to actually resume rose Hill and build the twenty five thousand. You know he could have done that and you know what, there wouldn't have been much of a backlash.
Speaker 2: Come on, you know that I was in.
Speaker 13: Some loud voices against it, but most people would have gone well done, good on you.
Speaker 2: I was in contact with the premiere very early this morning on this issue and he confirmed to me it is not his idea. I don't think he's a plan of it.
Speaker 13: I'm talking about Race Hill.
Speaker 2: He can still do it. That's not gonna happen that, thank you, John John Stanley. Tonight from eight o'clock while the Dragons and Sharks are playing on.
Speaker 1: Sydney now, a weather update will be here to help in unexpected weather. Insurance help come.
Speaker 2: Special war the report from Shark Park tonight because the plan to build apartments on Shark Park is not gonna happen. It won't happen with Cogre either. So I'm just looking at the Raidar at the moment. If you are going to go to the football night the Sharks and the Dragons, there's no rain currently over Shark Park. It's Quid's time. If you'd like your chance to win one hundred dollars voutcher for Bankstown Sports Club. If you'd like to go and have a lovely dinner with your family at Bankstown Sports you can check out the menure the Bistro Banksdownsports dot Com. Give me a call now, I need two contestants to play the quiz this evening. It's very easy. One three one eight seven three is the number word on the street. Things A temper, a great night's sleep night after night. The difference is tamper thanks to the information Graham Grahame telling me that the M seven northbound is still really slow and that's all because of the exit from the M four. Now there were dramas earlier a little set further south around Campbelltown and the Reland Road, the Hume. There was a car fire on the southbound off ramped in the rail and road. Now the fire has been put out. There was also a grass fire as a result. That's all been extinguished, but the problem's been in the fly in effect. There's been some dramas on the M four and also some delays on the M seven. If you see something around Sydney we need to know about you, send me a text message zero four zero eight seven three eight seven three well tomorrow. The longgoing train dispute between the government and the rail unions goes back before the Fair Work Commission. There is some quite confidence that hopefully tomorrow we're going to get a final result. So the ETU may well be directed tomorrow to have a vote of their members whether they'll vote in favor of the new deal that's been put forward by Sydney Trains at the other rail unionson now agreed to. So it'll be a hearing before Fair Work Commission tomorrow. I don't have any information about how the Commission will rule, but what the hope is and even the RTBU is hoping this is the case now, is that the ETU will be directed to put the deal to their members. They have about eight hundred old members, so they can vote on whether the payoffer from the new South Wales government will be accepted and then whether there'll be no industrial action for the foreseeable future. That's what we all want.
Speaker 1: Time to expose your minds. Do you may begin your questioning on Sydney Now Questions questions or against questions. I answer a question right, Clinton's Quick Quiz.
Speaker 2: Good price to give away on the quiz this week we have one hundred dollars out your Bankstown Sports Club, So if you want to take your family out for a meal next couple of weeks, one hundred dollars voucher will go along way Bankstownsports dot Com have a look. That's wonderful events this coming winter as well at Bankstown Sports. Let's get some contestants online. Danny is in Bankstown. Hello, Danny, I'm good at Banklon How are I? This would be fabulous for you. One hundred dollars vouch for the banks Down Sports Club. It's just down the road, definitely, it's definitely local.
Speaker 16: And don't thin could check my family out for dinner?
Speaker 2: All right, Nicky's in Offred's point in the show. Hollr Nikki, Hi, how are you? You're not far from Bankstown Sports either, so hopefully you've got your thirty second starts?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: What color is the G in the word Google in the logo.
Speaker 20: Red?
Speaker 2: Now it's blue? David Warner plays which sport.
Speaker 1: Cricket?
Speaker 2: Correct? What country has the most natural lakes? Canada or the United States?
Speaker 20: Canada?
Speaker 2: Correct? True or false? And octopus has three halfs? Correct? What empire was ruled by Julius Caesar?
Speaker 16: Go for it?
Speaker 2: Nikki is.
Speaker 21: Announced it?
Speaker 2: It's not that one another one? You mean it was the Roman Empire? Look, you've done pretty well. Three all right, Danny, your turn. Your thirty second starts now. Which Australian city is known as the City of Churches.
Speaker 10: Adelaide?
Speaker 2: Correct? How many cents are in the dollar? One hundred correct? What country is hosting the twenty twenty six Winter Olympics La No, and that's the city Italy. What's the official language of Brazil? No, It's Portuguese. What is a common food that never spoils and also comes from bees honey? Correct? Okay, we've got to tie. It's three or the way this works, Nicky and Danny, I'm going to ask a question. If you've got the right answer, yell out your name. Whoever's name is yell old first can answer the question. Okay, The question is what kind of creature is a flying fox?
Speaker 20: A nikki?
Speaker 2: Nikki? What is a flying fox?
Speaker 12: Are?
Speaker 2: Correct? Well done? Hundred dollar about your on its way to you thanks to Bankstown Sports. You'll have a great meal there banksdownsports dot com.
Speaker 1: And now a preview of what's coming up on wide World of Sports. With six hundred and four kilometers of range, The Kia ev E three is your twenty twenty five World Car of the Year.
Speaker 2: Visit your nearest.
Speaker 1: Kia showroom to test drive yours today.
Speaker 2: Hawsy coming up with Weldwater Sports. What do you think of the plan from from Joey to solve the housing crisis? Sell off Shark parking cogra oval for apartments.
Speaker 17: Ah, it's a great idea, Joey talking Sands. Let's bulldoze shark pack naight, man, I wouldn't go down that path. Shark Park what a venue and it'll be well, will it be full tonight? I don't think it'll be a Look at Michael Darby's struggling.
Speaker 2: It's easy to fill up because you can only twelve and a half thousand people there.
Speaker 17: We'll see two battling teams at the moment, that's for sure. We're going to preview that game with Peter Psaltis from Network nine and wild Water Sports. We'll also look at Mitch Moses his withdrawal from the Blues. How many weeks are you going to miss for your power of Els? I've had text messages all afternoon Stanley, you're playing You're playing the Dragons in a Fortnite.
Speaker 2: He's very happy. Four weeks at best, he'll be back.
Speaker 17: Toby Bedford from The Giants will join us Aroon Titmus will preview all the swimming action tonight and Mark Allen will preview the US Open golf.
Speaker 2: Get on your hawsey, Adam Howes, why would have sports coming up after the six o'clock news, Dead night with money news, before John Stanley takes you through the evening. He will be watching the Dragons at the same time. Thank you for your company of the past couple of hours. That's Sydney now,