S1: From the newsrooms of the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age. This is inside politics.
S2: So you're getting back together?
S3: No. This will allow time today.
S4: Dave and I have reached agreement formally to reform the coalition.
S1: Well, they fight, they break up, they kiss, they make up. Never before have the lyrics of a Katy Perry song been more relevant to federal politics. After last week's shock split this week, the coalition got back together again.
S5: A bit like two parents who couldn't decide in a divorce who looks after the kids.
S4: Well, Andrew, I don't accept the word bitter and, you know, people.
S1: But at what cost? What compromises have been made on both sides? And will the Nats and the libs be able to work constructively together after all the drama? Meanwhile, labor is moving ahead with plans to hike taxes on super accounts of more than $3 million. And Anthony Albanese has hardened his rhetoric on Israel and its killing of civilians in Gaza. As you know, our former chief political correspondent, David Crowe, has gone off to Europe to become the Europe correspondent. So this week we have our new chief political correspondent, Paul Seckel, and our foreign affairs and national security correspondent, Matthew Noche. Welcome, gentlemen.
S6: Lovely to be here.
S1: Hello, Paul. Let's start with the coalition rapprochement. And not because I just wanted to say rapprochement. What is the nature of the formal agreement that the two parties have struck?
S7: Well, it was eight days after David Littleproud, the nationals leader, stood up and said the coalition was no more. About 2 or 3 days later, he said they're back on. Sussan Ley agreed to go back to her party room and reconsider the four policy requests that David Littleproud had made. One was around breaking up anti-competitive supermarkets, another around nuclear energy, which is significantly watered down and will not include the building of nuclear power plants anymore. Another one was a bizarre and very niche policy around universal mobile service obligations, which is was a was an issue ten years ago and has not really been debated for a long time. And the other one was, can someone remind me what the fourth one was? I really should.
S1: Divestiture. Did you say that one?
S7: Yeah, I said that one.
S6: Divestiture. Telecoms.
S7: Nuclear and regional. The $20 billion regional slush fund to build dams and other things in in rural areas, which again was coalition policy. So it was largely uncontroversial. This was a kind of game of brinksmanship. The idea that this was ever around for specific policy issues was always simplistic. It was around personality. This was around philosophy of what the National Party should be and whether it should be joined at the hip to the Liberal Party. There were National Party kind of supremacists. I'd call them like Bridget McKenzie, who do believe that the National Party is a distinct, standalone conservative outfit that can go it alone, trying to wield their power internally to cause a split that, in their mind, give the nationals more power and freedom to advocate for their constituents. After a couple of days, this all went pretty pear shaped. There was a lot of outside criticism. Parties came back together over the weekend. Susan Lee and David Littleproud had a number of conversations the Liberal Party room agreed to in principle agree to those four policies we mentioned. And by Wednesday morning, the two leaders had another final conversation and agreed to give the National Party six positions in the Shadow Cabinet. David Littleproud initially wanted seven. They're entitled to six on the numbers, which is a quota formula based on how many MPs they have. They got a new economic portfolio. They hadn't previously had been the assistant treasurer, which went to Pat Counihan, who's a close ally of David Littleproud's from the seat of Cowper in New South Wales. Matt Canavan was offered that role. The rebel senator who's highly interventionist kind of agrarian socialist. He's chosen to go to the backbench to advocate on or against net zero. But the coalition is back on.
S1: So was anything gained by this split and the coming together again? I mean, if it was a game of brinkmanship, do the Nats actually get anything out of it?
S7: I'd say the loser here, at least at this stage, and there's still a lot to play out, is probably the National Party leader, David Littleproud. He has animated both sides of his party room, including his previous supporters such as Sam Birrell, Darren Chester, Michael McCormack who I'd describe as the more moderate wing of the National Party. They were upset at the way he handled it. They didn't understand the haste at which he proceeded, and they believed that a split was in the best interests of nobody. And on the right of his party, even Barnaby Joyce, who is probably also a little bit of a National Party supremacist, was also a bit bemused at what occurred. So he's lost support on both sides of his party. And he it's not out of the realms of possibility that he faces a leadership challenge. And when we're back in Canberra for the parliament parliamentary sittings in late July, I'd say that if there is a winner here and it's, um, there's definitely a case to be made that they all look a bit silly. If there is a winner here, I think Sussan Ley comes out of it with slightly more authority. She stood up to David Littleproud's demands at a time when her mother was dying in quite a dignified manner. There is an argument that she caved on the four policy principles, but she hasn't really committed to putting them in the coalition agreement, which is what David Littleproud wanted. And there is what this whole episode has enlivened, I think is a greater fortitude inside the Liberal Party, across both the factions of the Liberal Party, to stand up for liberal values and oppose being, you know, um, driven by National Party demands for the rest of this term. I think it's awoken this, this, this sense that, no, the Liberal Party is its own beast. It is not to be dictated to by the National Party. It has its own values. It's a free market party, its bases in the cities of Australia. And it will stand up for itself.
S1: Yeah. I want to talk about how that, um, sort of impacts on the net zero commitment in a minute, but just let's quickly talk about the new shadow ministry, because after the after the parties came back together, Liberal leader Sussan Ley gave a press conference with David Littleproud and they announced their new shadow ministry of the newly backed together and still passionately in Love Coalition. Matt, were there any surprises in the lineup for you, for the Shadow Ministers?
S6: Yeah, there were quite a few. Actually, I thought I thought it was fascinating to see the way you could see the personal and political dynamics playing out and people being rewarded and punished. The fact that Jane Hume is completely out of the ministry is quite stunning. Maybe you would have expected her to have a bit of a demotion, or be moved sideways from finance after the disastrous, uh, return to work policy. But with so many talented performers gone, the fact that she's completely out is pretty stunning. She has paid a big price for that.
S1: So just quickly, Paul, you wrote this morning that it wasn't a revenge thing to have Jane Hume out and that she might come back at a later date. Well, if it wasn't revenge, what was it?
S7: Well, Susan Lee told her colleagues yesterday that this wasn't about revenge and this wasn't about punishment for Jane Hume's two key blunders during the campaign being about the work from home policy and her very late comment about Chinese spies. But it's hard to have seen this outcome occur if those two gaffes didn't happen.
S1: Yeah, okay.
S7: It's clear that Jane Hume has lost a lot of credibility among her own faction, being the moderates. There's divisions within that group about Jane Hume aligning with Angus Taylor in the early part of the leadership contest. There's actually conjecture about who she voted for in the end. Right. Quite a lot of colleagues view her relationship with Sussan Ley as quite poor and not having been solid over a period of years. But Jane Hume was floated as a deputy candidate with Angus Taylor for a long time. So there is I think there's a mix of punishment for poor performance. The fact that Jane Hume has lost a lot of allies does not have a factional support base, and doesn't have the best relationship with Sussan Ley.
S6: The other big loser, of course, is Jacinta Price, who made this pretty spectacular play to switch from the National Party to the Liberal Party to try and be Angus Taylor's deputy. That didn't work. She was in the shadow cabinet while she was in the nationals, and she would have stayed there if she'd remained in that party. Now she's been relegated to the Outer Ministry in Defence Industry. Not really an area that's been in her field, although she there's some scope now for her to get into maybe some issues around woke woke activities in in the military. But that's really not been her focus. And she's she's made it pretty clear immediately going on Sky news and saying she doesn't think that this is a shadow ministry appointed on merit. So I think she's going to be causing a trouble for Susan Lee.
S1: And in theory, she is bound by the principle of cabinet solidarity because she's in the Outer cabinet, outer shadow Cabinet. But it remains to be seen whether or not she will maintain that.
S6: I think that'll be tested.
S1: Yes, it's.
S7: Been tested within hours and.
S1: Based on past form. Let's get to net zero. Matt Canavan, who is an outspoken Queensland Nationals senator, is not in the shadow cabinet, which means he can continue to be outspoken. He's a big critic of Australia's net zero by 2050 pledge. It's no secret that he wants the coalition to pull out of that pledge, basically. And he says there's a flashpoint looming on this. Paul, is that a threat or a promise? Notably, Susan Lee sort of refused to absolutely, fundamentally, totally commit to net zero by 2050, in the press conference she gave on Wednesday. Do you think that there's going to be another clash on this, like another saga of the climate wars?
S7: Almost inevitably, this debate will continue to play out in the in the coalition over the next year, perhaps the next three years. This has been a policy area that's bedevilled Liberal leaders since Brendan Nelson. And it's only been Tony Abbott. And then, uh, Peter Dutton and Scott Morrison, who've had internal authority, who've been able to kind of bridge the divide between the climate sceptics and the more moderate MPs who believe in climate change, really through band aid solutions, including on, on, on. Well, on Abbott's side, it was direct action and fighting against Labor's carbon tax under Peter Dutton. It was coming up with a nuclear plan, which Matt Canavan has admitted was really a political solution to bridge that divide. And under Scott Morrison, it was paying off the nationals leader, Barnaby Joyce, with billions of dollars to sign up to the net zero deal. But at the party's core, there is not a consensus on whether climate mitigation is something the party should take seriously. And when there's a leader with weakened authority, these these policy debates just come into public view. Sussan Ley, as you said, opened the door to a review of the net zero policy. The nationals party room is heavily split on this. Matt Canavan and Barnaby Joyce are now in the backbench and will advocate daily on net zero being a negative for the country. But even within the coalition shadow cabinet, I mean, Andrew Hastie a few days ago, I think maybe last week the new Home Affairs shadow said that he has questions about net zero. It's not as narrowly confined to just being the Barnaby Joyce's and Matt Canavan's of the world. Conservatives are looking to the US, Republicans to the Kiwi conservative Party, to Tony Blair in the UK and saying the world is shifting away from green ideology in the view of conservatives and Australia should have another look at its policies.
S1: Hmm. Interesting. Seems like self-sabotage to me. Let's switch to the Labour government, as the coalition sort of made themselves the news this week and last week, the Prime Minister's been sort of quietly touring flood ravaged communities in the mid-north coast. He also made some strong comments, Matt, about Israel's ongoing bombardment of Gaza and its refusal to let in sufficient food and supplies to the absolutely devastated communities there. What did he say exactly?
S6: Yeah, this was a strong language.
S8: People are starving. And the idea that a democratic state withholds supply is an outrage.
S6: We had seen the previous week, uh, an interesting group of the United Kingdom, France and Canada had got together and put out an extremely tough statement a threatening, concrete actions, including sanctions against Israel if they didn't change their behavior. Essentially, if they didn't stop the war, if they didn't allow more aid into Gaza. And also what we've seen with settlement activity in the West Bank. Australia joined a weaker statement with a bigger group of around 24 countries that was saying very focused around getting aid into Gaza. And what the Prime Minister said was that Israel's actions have been an outrage on the lack of aid going into Gaza. Yes, he said, it's outrageous the way the country has behaved, that it's completely unacceptable.
S8: And we find Israel's excuses and explanations are completely untenable and without credibility.
S6: This is becoming a very active issue among the Labour grassroots and the branches. People are fed up with the way that Netanyahu government has prosecuted this war. You know, there's a widespread view now that this there's no military gains left to be had in this war, and that the war is essentially being prolonged just for him to stay in power. And so the patience is very much up with Israel. And there's the branches within labor are becoming very active on this. There's a commitment in the labor policy platform that they should recognize Palestine as a state. This is all coming to a head in international forums now. So yeah, there's pressure on the Prime minister. He's obviously been reelected. He was criticized a lot in the first term from the pro-Israel side of the debate. He's won a big victory. So there's a lot of anticipation and people speculating about how far he'll be willing to go now that he's been reelected with a big mandate.
S1: It's really interesting, as Albanese said, people are starving. I mean, that was a very, very strong sort of plea just based on the suffering of the Palestinian people, which is quite obvious. There are strong pro-Palestine voices within Labour who've been active. So Ed Husic, who now is sort of now he's not in cabinet. He can talk and say whatever he wants. But you also reported this week not on Gareth Evans, who's a bit of a Labour elder statesman, and he says it's time to recognise Palestinian statehood.
S6: Yeah. Ed Husic was a strong voice for Palestine in the cabinet. He's gone, so he's more free to speak. But also importantly, uh, two of the biggest supporters of Israel in the cabinet have gone Mark Dreyfus. And the other was Bill shorten. So there has been a change in the the makeup there. Uh, and yes, so, so the backstory of this is that there's going to be a big conference in New York next month, in the middle of June, co-hosted by France and Saudi Arabia. Uh, French President Emmanuel Macron has been active trying to make this into a successful event in which countries will get together and try to drive progress towards a two state solution, essentially to breathe life into this comatose process. And so people like Gareth Evans, who was Labour's longest serving foreign minister, is a very respected voice in the party. He's someone who someone like Penny Wong would listen to, even if she doesn't always agree with him. He says the time is absolutely right. Australia should use this conference as an opportunity to recognise Palestine as a state, to try and drive forward this process, to try and pressure Israel into coming back to the negotiating table. Other countries might be doing that as well.
S7: Noddy could I could I just jump in and ask a question if I could? It's unclear to me what the government's policy is on on recognition. There was that speech from Penny Wong at some point last year, which was a big pivot, where she made the argument that Australia should recognise or could recognise earlier in the process as a way of reaching an eventual two state solution. But every time the Prime Minister is asked about this, including during the campaign repeatedly, he says there's nothing to recognise and no recognition can be made until Hamas is gone. They seem at odds.
S6: Yeah. And Penny Wong has stuck to the line she made in that speech, which was very deliberate to try and put a spotlight on this idea. Uh, this week, Australia's top diplomat at the United Nations was emphasizing this point that Australia doesn't see a recognition as coming at the end of the process anymore, that Australia sees it as something that can happen along the way. So the positioning has been there, but they haven't committed to it. And I think you're just seeing the more cautious side of Anthony Albanese coming out there that they haven't made a decision to do this. They don't quite know how to do it. Uh, they clearly want to um, it's something they've been leading up to. There's a big debate ultimately about whether it would make a huge difference. The vast majority of countries already recognise Palestine. More Western countries, countries that we would consider like minded to Australia traditionally haven't. And so that would be the change. But ultimately, what everyone in this space acknowledges is that regardless of whether Australia recognises Palestine or not, it's ultimately going to be it's ultimately going to end up in a negotiation between Israel and Palestine. And you need leaders on both sides who are able to do it. It's just whether we can do anything to try and incentivize that.
S1: It does seem that world sentiment is turning a little bit against Israel, and I think probably Israel has heightened awareness of that. I want to ask you both a personal question. Do you have more or less than $3 million in your super accounts?
S6: I need to check, but it's definitely less.
S7: Paul, I think I just need to merge my two accounts and I'll be well over.
S6: Oh, you're paying.
S1: Those fees, baby.
S6: You're wasting money on fees. Consolidated their life insurance policies to.
S1: The reason I ask this pointed personal financial question is because, of course, Treasurer Jim Chalmers this week is trying to get through the Senate his proposed tax hikes on super accounts of more than $3 million. So the tax rate would be doubled on earnings from those super accounts on the portion of above $3 million. That, of course, affects a very small percentage of the population, but there is some opposition to it. Will this get through the Senate with the support of the Greens? Paul.
S7: It looks like it will. The Greens leader, Larissa Waters, says that she agrees with the policy on principle. They've said this from the outset. The Senate last term block this bill from Jim Chalmers. It's been sitting in the Senate ever since. The government does not remove the bill from the Senate procedure list, because it's baked into the budget that comes with considerable savings, that the government is desperate to continue banking in its forward estimates. It's $40 billion over the next ten years. It's quite a peculiar debate the way this has played out, because this bill, as I just mentioned, has been in the parliament for years now, and there wasn't a huge media or political backlash from the Liberal Party or really many MPs in the parliament last term. But it's kicked. It's kicked off post-election. It's almost become the dominant point of political commentary and reporting about the government's agenda, even though it's not a new policy item.
S1: My sense of that during the last term under Dutton was that they didn't sort of stand up for people with more than $3 million in their super accounts when they were banging on about the cost of living, quite rightly. Um, let's just talk about the opposition to the bill, because it does sound like, you know, it's a tax on people who can kind of afford it. And it's a very small percentage of people who would be affected. Matt, do you have any sense of what the opposition to the bill is or the arguments against?
S6: There definitely are people, including within labor. There are people who hold a quite philosophical, principled opposition, particularly to this idea of the taxing unrealized gains, this idea of taxing hypothetical.
S1: Yeah. So basically, if I have a $3 million house, which is in my superannuation account, but I live in it. Um, I'm going to get a tax on the $3 million of 30%, even though I don't have that cash flow.
S6: Um, this does happen in other ways in terms of home values are assessed, but that's more of a mechanical, uh, thing than than the way it would be done here. So I've spoken to people who do worry about the principle here. Not so much the the 3 million balances and increasing taxes on super that's seen as these are people who can take it, uh, they're wealthy enough. That's absolutely fine. It's it's just whether you could tweak this in a way and perhaps, uh, raise as much money or even more by toughening up that tax without going down this path of the unrealized capital gains, which sets economists off and people who care about the principle of the policy.
S1: And there are high profile critics of the policy, like Paul Keating. Um, there's also the issue of no indexation on the amount. So it means over time, as inflation grows, more and more people will be affected by it. It's a risk many of us are going to have to take in the next few years as our super balances grow. Um, and what are your thoughts?
S7: Well, the the cult, you're right. The coalition of people who have come out to oppose this, this new and largely unprecedented taxing of unrealized gains is really large. Like it's Ken Henry, the former Treasury secretary, Paul Keating in private, Bill Kelty, the confidant of Paul Keating and a labor doyen, a bunch of different economists. Uh, Matt, you're right. I've heard of labor backbenchers who are quite concerned about this as well and the political risk here. And it's been lit up by the newly or probably elected member for Goldstein, Tim Wilson, who's the defender of all manner of tax breaks for wealthier individuals, who says that once the tax office gives itself the power to do valuations of property or any asset at a yearly level, and tax people on those unrealized gains, that could be then expanded into trusts and all all other forms of wealth accumulation, which turns which turns this from a more narrow issue around very wealthy super balances to a broader economy wide risk to what he describes as aspiration. So that's the political risk here.
S1: It is an interesting debate about what super is for as well, because it's supposed to afford people a comfortable, comfortable and dignified retirement, and it's supposed to ease the public purse in getting people off the age pension. But is it supposed to be a sort of tax haven or something that you can use as tax breaks and pass it on to your children?
S7: It's become an estate planning thing. And the treasurer makes this point that and most economists agree that the concessional rates of tax on super should shouldn't exist. We should raise more money on super. People should not use it as an inheritance vehicle. But the trade off there is that if you do try and put in put in place rules such as this one to avoid people doing that, do you reduce the incentive to invest in your super, and do you diminish the overall purpose of super as a massive pool of investment for the economy, which is Paul Keating's concern?
S1: Well, I mean, there's so much money in super as well. So if you're if you're Jim Chalmers or any treasurer trying to raise money for the, you know, for the structural deficit, um, to be eased, then you know, that's a very tempting.
S6: That's what I was going to say. I think this is also going to take off in another way, uh, is in terms of the use of super is trying the government, trying to get a superannuation funds to invest in particular things that they're interested in. They have all these national priorities. This I think, is going to be an interesting direction, particularly with Anthony Albanese's passion for infrastructure. And they want to get things going on housing and to try and direct, and.
S1: They need that money.
S6: Yeah. Now that's also of course, that might be a conflict with the idea of directing maximum returns to superannuation holders. You know, you want as much money as possible and maybe that's, uh, mining stocks or Telstra stocks or something rather than building housing. But I think that's going to be a lively debate.
S1: It's very interesting. Um, we don't have time to go further into it, but we will because I think this is going to bubble away. Guys thanks so much. That was a varied and interesting chat. And both of you are worth more than $3 million to me individually.
S6: I'll I'll write the check for you.
S1: Okay.
S7: See you guys.
S6: Bye bye.
S1: Today's episode was produced by Tammy Mills with technical assistance from Debbie Harrington and Josh towers, and Tom McKendrick is our head of audio. To listen to our episodes as soon as they drop, follow Inside Politics on Apple, Spotify or anywhere else you listen to your podcasts. To stay up to date with all of our politics coverage and exclusives, visit The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald websites to support our journalism. Subscribe to us by visiting The Age or the SMH. Subscribe. I'm Jacqueline Maley, thank you for listening.