S1: From the newsrooms of the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age. This is the morning edition. I'm Samantha Salinger Morris. It's Thursday, May 22nd. For decades, global sporting events like the Olympics and the tour de France have been rocked by doping scandals that each time elicited a collective gasp. How was this a fair test of athletic greatness if some people were using performance enhancing drugs? But there's a new event that will turn all of that on its head, where athletes will compete while intentionally on performance enhancing drugs. Announced this morning, the enhanced games, as they're called, will take place in Las Vegas next year. The prize money has already drawn top athletes, including Australian swimmer and Olympic medallist James Magnussen. Today, sports reporter Tom Dreesen talks through one of the most provocative and polarizing sporting concepts in recent history. I said, Tom, these games have just been announced this morning in the sort of lavish event that you might expect in Las Vegas. So tell me about this event and the games themselves. What are they?
S2: Yeah. So the enhanced games has been a concept that's been on the radar for about 15 months or so. Aaron DeSouza, who's an Australian entrepreneur and lawyer, um, has founded these games, which are effectively the steroid Olympics, whereby athletes can take performance enhancing drugs and compete against each other for prize money. Now it all seems a little bit wild and wacky, but we've had a final unveiling and, um, yeah. The first enhanced games will take place on May 20th 1 to 24 in Vegas next year.
S3: It is the self-described Olympics of the future.
S4: Listen to this. A drug friendly competition similar to the Olympics could soon be a reality.
S5: I don't think that athletes want to be the fastest natural man in the world. They just want to be the fastest.
S2: But interestingly, clean athletes will be allowed to compete as well, so there's a whole lot of hurdles to overcome races in swimming, athletics, Weightlifting, but it's all systems go. And as you could imagine, there's a lot of. Discussion around this for obvious reasons.
S1: Okay. So let's get into this because you mentioned that the founder is an Australian lawyer and entrepreneur. So why has he launched this? Like what's the goal here?
S2: The goal is to see what the human body can achieve with medicine. Now, this is not as cowboy as you might expect. There's a lot of really, um, seasoned and highly regarded health professionals who are on board with this. There's a medical board that they have which sits, you know, aside at basically making sure these athletes aren't taking illegal substances or substances that they think will seriously harm their long term health. Now, that's all debatable. As you would imagine. I'm no health professional, but the idea being is that the Olympic Games don't pay athletes prize money for their gold medals and medals. Um, so they would like to create a bit of a disruptor and just see what, um, substances can do to the human body and see what the limit is on athlete performance.
S1: Okay. So let's get into the money side of things, because so far, the big announcement out of this launch is that a Greek swimmer, Kristian Golomeev, has broken the 50 meter freestyle world record while under the influence of performance enhancing drugs. It was a stunt that was part of this launch. So tell us about what he earned by doing this and just how big a deal this is.
S2: So it started probably in February last year when James Magnussen, a former Australian Olympian, came out and said he would, quote, juiced to the gills if they gave him a million bucks to try and break the 50m freestyle world record. Um, Aaron DeSouza came on board and said, awesome, let's sign him up. Let's do it. So James has been in heavy training since October, taking substances to try and get that world record, which is pretty wild when you consider he's been out of competition since 2019.
S6: 32 year old Australian swimmer and Olympic silver medallist James Magnussen is the biggest name to express interest.
S7: As far as my athletic peak. History says that it's behind me. The enhanced games say it's not. Let's find out.
S2: And the Christian has come along. A Greek swimmer who competed for Greece in the last Olympics in the 50m freestyle. He's also been on enhancements. Um, and after some training he was wearing a suit that he's banned at the Olympics. So there's a little bit of a caveat there. Like it's not a like for like comparison. But that was the agreement. And he broke the world record by a couple of hundredths of a second and pocketed a million US for his troubles. So the fact that that will be seen around the world shows that this is a real thing.
S1: Okay. So this is making headlines, but it's led me to have to ask, you know, are these games just one massive advertisement for performance enhancing drugs? Like, is this just an attempt to rid them of a taboo that has long been associated with them?
S2: Yeah. Their argument is that so many athletes already take performance enhancing drugs and aren't caught that they believe. Why not? We just open the floodgates now, you could debate that as well. And I would imagine that the world Anti-Doping agency and the International Olympic Committee would come out and absolutely distance themselves from an event like this. They already have. But I think it poses a very interesting, interesting and morally divisive question around which athletes will compete. What is the limit and pushing it too far as well. Important to note, the enhanced games have said that they want to know what drugs people are taking, and there are some banned substances that they won't permit in order to make sure it is quite as healthy as possible. But, um, I struggle to see how that can be the case.
S1: And so what sort of performance enhancing drugs are we talking about here that the athletes are likely to be taking?
S2: Yeah. So the enhanced games say that their athletes aren't obliged to outline what drugs they're taking. Um, but Magnuson has said that he's taking peptides and testosterone where his main two amongst a number of other things that were topped up. So it will vary, as I said. And, um, yeah, illegal substances won't be allowed. So like your hard stuff like cocaine, heroin, all that stuff is not going to be allowed. But that is um, it's on a, on a case by case basis. Enhanced games have said we can either do your supplements if you want, or you can get an independent doctor to do them. And um, but obviously transparency in terms of letting them know what you're taking is paramount.
S1: And so are we hearing from any voices out there who are concerned about, you know, the inherent health risks or any risks really associated with doing this.
S2: For sure. There's been medical professionals in the last year, 15 months who've outlined concerns about that as well. And I think now that it is confirmed that it is going to happen will trigger more as well. I reckon there'll be athletes as well who are clean, who would be absolutely, um, reluctant to go anywhere near that kind of thing, you know, fearing what could happen to their bodies long term. But yeah, like, it'll, it'll, it'll kick up a stink, that's for sure. And understandably, there'll be a lot of criticism. But Aaron De Sousa and his team are pretty confident they can handle those questions and believe that it is going to be safe.
S1: And so I've got to ask, I mean, where is the money actually coming to fund these games? Like do companies that produce performance enhancing drugs profit like are they investors here?
S2: A lot of investors. Yeah. So there's like gold silver bronze tier investors. You've got Peter Thiel who's the co-founder of PayPal, Donald Trump Junior. The list goes on. In terms of people who have signed up from 15 months ago and said, we believe in this project. We believe that there will be enough eyeballs and interest on this once a year for the enhanced games to to draw crowds draw broadcast revenue. And realistically, if you could get a pool of athletes who are clean and doping into the one event, you actually could have, um, you know, super athletes versus clean athletes competing against each other, which also adds another layer of complexity and fascination.
S1: But are there companies that actually produce performance enhancing drugs that are investing in this? Do we know?
S2: It's a great question. We need to probably check with them on that. Um, but yeah, there are certainly, um, big pharmaceutical companies that have been giving athletes substances already. I know James was involved with one of them. Um, but a lot of these drugs as well aren't you can't use them if you want to compete in the Olympics. But they're not actually illegal substances, so they're prescription from doctors. A lot of them.
S1: Yeah. I guess I'm just wondering, like, you know, is this just a brazen cash grab? Because the the the automatic question you ask if you step back is okay, well, who's profiting from this? Like, it sounds like a bit of an advertisement for performance enhancing drugs, right. So that's why I'm just like, hmm, who's making money off this?
S2: I think it would be fascinating to dive into all the investors for sure, and some of them are keeping, um, private and out of the limelight. So yeah, it'd be fascinating to once all the the noise dies down that this is actually going to happen, dive into what is the vested interests of those investors.
S1: It's a lot to ask you because to be clear to the listeners, we're actually recording this the day before this even launches. So we don't know that just yet. But I have to ask, what do Australian athletes think about this? Like, what are you hearing from them already?
S2: Spoken to a few and they're very curious. Obviously the enhanced games concept has been on the radar for 15 months. So they've, as I said, skepticism about whether it would happen. Um, Australian athletes have a proud history of not doping, of course, and taking performance enhancing drugs is banned at the Olympics and other major competitions. But a lot of them are wondering, well, um, if I'm clean, why can't I go and compete? What would stop me doing that? To try and earn prize money. Hence, games have said that if, for example, Cameron McEvoy, who is the fastest man through water in the 50m freestyle event, won a gold medal in Paris if he was to come in wearing a super suit as well, um, Clean and break that world record, he'd be $1 million richer. So I wonder what cam McEvoy would think about it all.
S1: We'll be right back. Another interesting thing about this is that Australians are sort of at the heart of this controversial sporting event. It isn't just the game's founder who you already mentioned, but we know that Australian Olympian James Magnussen, swimmer, he has come on board. There's also a swimming coach, I believe his name is Brett Hawke. He's also come on board, but let's get into Magnussen. Why is he participating?
S2: I think Maggie, throughout his career doesn't really care what people think of him. Uh, before the 2012 London Olympic Games, he, um, basically was really brazen about his attempt to win a gold medal and was very confident about it. And he fell short by the smallest of margins. So I don't think he really cares about what people think. I think he said it quite flippantly on a podcast as a joke to begin with, that he would juiced to the gills for a million bucks, and then Aaron D'Souza's ears pricked up and said, cool, let's come on, James. And he had to be convinced by them that it was going to be safe. And he to stress, I've interviewed James about this. He's had, um, weekly checkups with doctors, health screenings, uh, still getting that in Australia at the moment. So he's like very, very on top of what he's putting into his body and doesn't believe that it's going to have long term effects. But yeah, he's he's front and centre. But obviously now that Christian has come on and broken the world record, he'll be the face of it. But James will compete in the next games as well. And Brett Hawke, an Australian based over there in the US as well, who's looking after those two. As a coach.
S1: We know that Magnussen gave you an exclusive interview and it's a great feature. I encourage all the listeners to read it. And, you know, he says he doesn't worry about what other people think, but I have to quote him in your piece. He said, I never thought I'd be sticking a needle with testosterone into my bum at any point in my life. And it has to be said that Magnussen throughout his entire swimming career, I've learned this from your writing. He fought for a clean sport. So why this one? 80 from him?
S2: It's a great question. His view is that it's a completely separate event and entity and it's something different. And obviously money talks, right? So James was never found guilty of taking any performance enhancing substance when he was a swimmer and a very decorated swimmer and absolutely a champion of clean sport. But I guess his argument is that in a world where anti-aging space is rising, and there are ways where people are trying to see what effects substances can have on the body in terms of performance and just general well-being. He was really intrigued by it as well. And yeah, to stress as well, it is a very, very, um, sincere and like, well thought out project. These guys are big dogs who haven't just done this on a whim where, um, they're just trying to get people to take steroids from the local guy down the street. This is like, all pretty above board, um, in their opinion. And there are lots of things you can read on the website, which I would encourage you to do before making, like just a straight opinion. I'm not heavily opinionated on it each way, I'm just barracking for the yarn because I think it'll be so interesting when it happens.
S1: Oh it is. It's absolutely fascinating. And you mentioned Australian swimming Olympic champion cam McEvoy just before. And we know that James Magnussen, he's told you that he is urging athletes like McAvoy clean athletes to join him next year at these enhanced games. So surely clean athletes would totally avoid an event like this. Like, wouldn't they? Or would this be something of a challenge? I don't know.
S2: I think prize money is the significant factor. Like these swimmers and athletic stars aren't paid the same money that footy players are, or soccer players around the world. Tennis, golf, you name it. So prize money is an issue in some of these sports. Like for example, if you win an Olympic gold medal, you don't earn any money from the International Olympic Committee. If you win a World Championship gold medal, you make about $15,000 for that. Now, if you were offering incentives for people to win prize money at these enhanced games, and as well, the enhanced games are saying that they will pay appearance fees as well. So everyone who goes gets paid. So I think money talks, you could argue that it is in, in some respects a little bit like Liv golf in terms of the disruptor that that was in terms of prying away some of the sport's best talent. It'll be interesting to see who goes. I think that there will be roadblocks for them competing in it, but I can categorically say that they are interested, but they're just waiting to see what comes of this announcement that's happening today.
S1: And, you know, James Magnussen told you he thinks a flood of athletes are going to be coming over to the enhanced games in year two. So do you think he's right? Because surely this would represent a breaking of a major taboo, I think, over using performance enhancing drugs.
S2: I think someone in Christian's case, he competed at four Olympic Games, was at the end of his career, never won an Olympic medal, was a very good swimmer. Made the final in Paris in the 50m freestyle. I think it could entice athletes through at the end of their career and as a bit of a free hit at the end, rather than your like 17, 18 year old up and coming stars. Um, but yeah, it'll be fascinating. I don't think, James. I mean, look, he's obviously the figurehead and selling it and wants people to come very, very quickly. But I do think that if it is sustainable and goes to three, four, five years and they can build the build a profile up a bit. I think that's more when we might see athletes come across rather than this first one in in Las Vegas next May.
S1: And finally, Tom, just to wrap up, I have to ask you, you know, whether an event like this is a sign that, you know, rules around the use of drugs in major sporting events like the Olympics could be relaxed? Or is this, do you think, just destined to be an isolated phenomenon?
S2: I think it could be its own little freak show on the side that, um, people will watch and, you know, people at the pub and I've got mates who have said, oh, it would be so interesting to see what would happen if you gave performance enhancing drugs to the fastest men in the world and women and swimmers as well. So this is what the Enhanced Games wants to do. They're not trying to go toe to toe with the Olympics, and they believe that that has a right and a place in in society. And for what? It's all it's worth and it's history, but I think it's going to be absorbing to watch if it gets up off the ground. They're hoping for about 100 athletes in about three different sports in Vegas. So but yeah, like it will cause ripples across the sporting world. Well.
S1: Well, it's an absolutely fascinating story to keep watch on. So thank you so much, Tom, for your time.
S2: No worries.
S1: Today's episode of The Morning Edition was produced by Tammy Mills, with technical assistance by Josh towers. Tom McKendrick is our head of audio. To listen to our episodes as soon as they drop, follow the Morning Edition on Apple, Spotify or wherever you listen to podcasts. Our newsrooms are powered by subscriptions, so to support independent journalism, visit The Age or smh.com.au. Subscribe and to stay up to date, sign up to our Morningedition newsletter to receive a summary of the day's most important news in your inbox every morning. Links are in the show. Notes. I'm Samantha Selinger. Morris. Thanks for listening.