Speaker 1: Minji Lee has won her third major championship with a three shot victory, a comfortable victory in the end at the PGA Champs in Texas. Here's the audio of Minji's win.
Speaker 2: Minjii battles the Texas.
Speaker 1: Wrong and he and she's a three time leads to a chat and Richie Smith, Minji's coach, joins us. Now get a Richie congratulations, well done.
Speaker 2: Thanks Simon, nice to speak to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she I heard some audio from this morning. She felt felt like she played kept an eye on the leader board, but played within herself. What did you see as her long term coach?
Speaker 2: I saw someone who's pretty nervous on the front nine, if I'm honest, very tentative, and she had had some history of blind leeds, and I think that she got challenged a little bit on that front line, and then I think she got angry with herself actually and just decided that she was going to win. I think once she decided that she was going to win, no one was going to beat her.
Speaker 1: Got the game, hasn't she? And that's that's the thing at the top end with her and and with Woozy and all of you, all of your crew they've got the game. It's just that the day and how they how they approach. You need a bit of luck too, don't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you do. And the golf course over there is pretty tough, and it was blowing pretty hard for the last two days. And I think it was advantageous for us because you know, obviously we have a windy city that we've we've developed these players in and yeah, it's been It was helpful that it was, And I don't think there was any lucky breaks. I think she played well within herself and she kept it on the fair way most of the time and hit great shots and hold the puts when needed. So I think she deserved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh, we're stoked for it, and for and for you and for the whole gang. Is she you talked about sometimes blowing your lead. In your view, you've got to train for all the scenarios, don't you been the hunted one or chasing? It's it's different every day and on each course, isn't it, Richie?
Speaker 2: It is? But I mean we'd very much decided that we were going to play the way that we wanted to play, and we weren't going to get sucked in to what the opposition was doing. So we'd set at the goal of just trying to be one under for each six hole segment, and we were going to play match play game against ourselves, and actually we lost the match to ourselves, but we ended up winning the tournament, So that's that's all that mattered.
Speaker 1: Are you Richie? For those people who haven't heard you on this station before, or haven't perhaps heard our chats, to just remind us how you do this remotely with this great gang of golfers that you have.
Speaker 2: Well, I use the Internet a fair bit. We do a lot of video lessons and just a lot of video conversations. But I was actually in Dallas till Wednesday, so all her prep was done in front of me, and yeah, and then I just arrived back in Perth on Friday and enjoyed the jet lag and watched the golf at night.
Speaker 1: Pretty good, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Did you?
Speaker 1: Did you have a celebratory this morning? A little Pims and lemonade, which he.
Speaker 2: Not as yet. I've got to do. I've got to do an interview, a TV interview, and I don't really want to do that, so maybe tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, No, we well deserve. I thought of you, and I know every now and then we try to chat that you're all over the place on and off planes. Min wou Lee, how's he traveling after the big one?
Speaker 2: Since his win? I think he's suffered a little bit with expectation. I think now that he knows that he can win, that he's expecting to do it every week, and I think that's going to be his like next sort of development stage. We're getting there. He's just it's a little bit hard at the moment because he's not really performing the way he would like. And Hannah Green, you didn't mention her, but I will's going. She's going really well. She's you know, still top ten in the world. And yeah, probably hasn't played as much, hasn't a lot of continuity this year yet, but that's going to come and I'm pretty confident that she's going to have a good end of the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well done to you' she was the next round of questions. I remember talking to you after Min Wu played so well in Australia a couple of years ago, and I said, when can I buy a hat? When can I buy a bail and the T shirt? He said, no, we're trying to keep a lid on him, and that's that's still the case with him, isn't he Because he's a gung ho player in person, But you still want him to to get the trophies before you really launch him in terms of merchant and profile and personality.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, he has one and now you can and you can buy a hat and a shirt. Yeah, there's no shortage of merchandise that you can buy that says let him cook yah or Chapinski or some other thing that he's got going on. I don't know, but yeah, Look, first and foremost is a golfer, and first and foremost we want him to perform on the world stage. And I think he's developing really nicely. Probably it has been a tough period because that win, you know, this expectation that you do get from winning is really hard to balance. And but we're getting there. I think. Yeah, it might be a little bit of a up and down ride for a couple of couple of months, but I think we'll we'll see some real improvement by the end of the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well done. Well on to you mate too, Very proud of you and all you've achieved with Hannah, Minji, min Wull, all of your gang, Maddie, it's it's not a bad thing to have on your on your CV. Is it that Minji gets a third title?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know that's I'm not in it for the for the recognition. I just want them to win, win events, and so at the moment we're doing it, and hopefully we continue to do so in the future.
Speaker 1: Understated as always, good on your Richie. Thanks for the chat.
Speaker 2: Thanks Ann,