S1: Which dog owners among us haven't wondered about our pets? What are they thinking? Do they like me? Oh, God, are they judging me? Well, a new study has revealed that dogs are even better at reading our emotions than chimpanzees, who are our closest evolutionary relative. I'm Samantha Selinger Morris, and you're listening to Morning Edition from The Age and the Sydney Morning Herald. Today, science reporter Angus Dalton on how scientists reached this conclusion and what we may want to know to help our dogs lead their best lives. It's August the 17th. Angus, welcome back to the podcast.
S2: Thanks for having me, Sam.
S1: Okay, let's dig in. Because scientists in Hungary and Mexico, they conducted a brain scanning study of dogs brains. And their findings were just published last week in the journal I science. So tell us, what have they discovered?
S2: Yes. So scientists scanned the brains of 14 dogs and found yet another reason to love our four legged friends, which is that they are really good at reading human emotion or facial expressions, which might not come as a surprise to anyone who's a dog lover. They do seem really in tune with us. They kind of seem to match our mood a lot of the time. Uh, but we actually don't really have a lot of data as to what's actually happening in a dog's brain. So this is really, really cool research. The study actually analyzed the brain activity of dogs while they were being shown images of human faces that were happy, sad, scared, angry, or neutral. And the areas of their brain that lit up were actually quite different for most of these emotions. So like I said, we sort of knew that they react uniquely to happiness and excitement, and they also make decisions based on that. So there was one study that showed like, if you have two boxes next to each other and a human reacts excited and happy towards one box and neutrally towards another, the dog will prefer the box that you've acted happily towards And other studies have shown that dogs actually respond better to facial expressions when they are expressed by people who are the same gender as their primary caregiver, which sort of seems to indicate that they start to learn more about their owners and sort of tune in to them on sort of this emotional level and learn how to read them even better. But this study really added more evidence that dogs react uniquely to, as I said, human happiness, which really lights up their brain like a Christmas tree, in particular, the reward center of the brain. So the authors speculate that human happiness and smiles is kind of like giving a dog a treat or a toy, which is so adorable. What this study really showed is that happy human faces triggered activity in the temporal cortex, which is an area of the brain that recognizes faces and processes, emotional cues, and the caudate nucleus, which handles rewards and motivation. And the researchers said this was a really interesting part of the study, and really suggested that happy human faces, in particular, may have emotional significance for dogs, and that, taken together with other studies. One of the main takeaways is that dogs interpret human happiness, even the smiles of strangers like in this study, as a reward. So the researchers actually said that we can reward our dogs with treats, but also with happiness, and that the science now says that we have to smile at every dog on the street because it makes them happy. That's just what science says now. And the other really key part is that they can discern the difference between a range of negative emotions, which we don't actually have a lot of other data on. So yeah, as I said, any this might come as a surprise to any dog lover, but if you really stop to think about it, it's pretty amazing that these, these species that are so different to us have come to learn our emotions, learn our facial expressions to the degree that the authors actually say they do it better than our closest evolutionary relatives, the chimpanzees.
S1: Which is absolutely incredible. And what did we learn, if anything, about the dogs and how they respond to negative emotions like fear and anger or sadness?
S2: Yeah. So when they were shown these negative emotions, for the most part, they lit up different regions of the brain. I won't try and pronounce the regions of the brain because it's just like a long sort of spell of Latin. But the key part was that they they reacted differently. Right. So they seem to maybe struggle a little bit more to tell the difference between sadness and anger, at least in this study, based just on images of people's emotions. But they did, for the most part, seem to differentiate between these emotions really well. And they particularly reacted strongly, though, to both fear and anger over sadness. And that kind of makes sense because if a nearby human is scared, it makes sense evolutionarily for a dog to be aware of that. And if a human is scared, it may indicate that there's a threat nearby for the dog as well. And if a human is angry, that can obviously also have consequences for a dog. The angry person can represent a direct threat to a dog. So it's really important for a dog evolutionarily to be in tune with that as well. Sadness is a yeah, not as strong sort of reactions in the brain, But, you know, a lot of people have this experience when they say the dog comes up to them and sort of gives them your puppy dog eye and sort of snuggle up. So maybe we need more research into that. And it's important to, to remember as well, the dogs were only being showed images and dogs tune in to so much more of that. In the real world, they are driven by things like tone of voice, your body language, and particularly smell dogs. Where we live in a visual world, dogs live in a smell world. So there's other research showing they really pick up on things like the odor of fear and the odor of anxiety. So we are missing those sensory pieces in this study. But what it is indicating is on a brain level, they really seem to know what we're feeling as well as thinking.
S1: After the break.
S2: They painstakingly trained these dogs to sit still in a sphinx position in an MRI machine, with their little jaws sort of sitting on a chin rest.
S1: Can you tell us a little bit about how scientists actually conducted this study because, you know, I think you and I probably both and some of the listeners, I'm sure know humans who find MRI machines tricky, you know, stress that they might, you know, do a big exhale and their body might move and it's going to mess things up. So how did they get the dogs to cooperate?
S2: This part is so cool. So the researchers basically just stalked, uh, local dog parks and looked out for dogs that seemed calm and well trained, approached the owners, and then asked if they'd be willing to be part of this study, basically. So they recruited. Yeah, about 14 dogs. Like I said, most of them were border collies. There was a Labrador, a mutt, and a couple of golden retrievers in there. And then over the course of several days and 20 training sessions, they painstakingly trained these dogs to sit still in a sphinx position in an MRI machine, with their little jaws sort of sitting on a chin rest. And they were obviously rewarded copiously with treats and play for staying still. And they built up from just five seconds to a full three minutes. And it's pretty extraordinary because if the dogs moved more than three millimetres during any one scan, it would have rendered that data unusable. So it sort of goes to show why this data is so rare. It takes a lot of patience and time training these animals to stay still while they're awake in an MRI machine. So that training is what allowed the dogs to stay still in an MRI machine, which was a pretty amazing feat. And then the scientists could start showing them these images of human faces and do the actual study.
S1: I love that, just more data, if we needed it, that dogs are better than us. Like we knew that already.
S3: But I know, I know, I know, but it's nice to see.
S2: It spelled out on a brain scan.
S1: Exactly. And I wanted to ask you about something that Doctor Tiffany Howell. She's a senior research fellow at La Trobe University. What she told you? Now, she wasn't involved in this study, but she had a really interesting, I thought, interpretation of it, which was about, you know, that we actually can't read our dogs sometimes as well as they can read us. So tell us, I guess, what she told you about what we think dogs are feeling like. We think they feel guilty, right when they when they get that sheepish look and they've destroyed a shoe or something. But we're not right, are we?
S2: Angus a lot of the time, no. Like, yeah, it's kind of an irony, right? That dogs seem to be really good at reading our emotions, but a lot of the time we misinterpret their behavior. So the classic example is, as you said, the guilty look like if they've taught apart a toilet roll or destroyed a shoe, you'll often get that sort of slinking look where they'll hit you with the big eyes, and they'll sort of hunch over a little bit and act what we read as guilty. But research has showed that they don't actually really feeling guilty. What they're doing is interpreting that, that we're angry and acting, acting submissive to try and avoid punishment. So they're kind of playing us in that way. And a lot of the times in those situations, they're actually probably a bit scared as well rather than guilty. So there's a sort of welfare element to that as well. But they do though seem to get jealous. There's been studies where scientists will get dog owners to interact with a bucket and be like, oh my God, hey, and like interact with this bucket and their dog is nearby and doesn't really care. But if you replace that bucket with another dog, suddenly that dog is straining and trying to get over there and being like, why are you paying attention to something that's not me? Again, it's kind of makes sense evolutionarily, like dog owners are their source of food and safety and comfort. So if you see another animal moving in on that and maybe trying to capitalize on your owner, then it's evolutionarily expedient that you try and get back in there and try and outcompete that dog for cuteness and make sure that your owner is looking after you. And the one other thing I thought was really funny was one of the researchers sent me a link to a video of this study where they were testing what's called the Lassie effect, which is the idea that dogs will rescue us when we are in strife. Right. And there are lots of anecdotal stories about this, you know, dogs traveling for miles to to alert the town that a child has fallen into a ditch or something like that. So the scientists actually studied this, and they got owners to come into a room with their dogs, and they'd rigged up this bookcase to fall onto the owners, and then the owners would pretend to be squashed and be like, ah, help! I'm stuck, I'm stuck. And for most of the time, the dogs could not give a flying Fido if their owners were crushed under the bookcase and in distress, they would just keep roaming around the room and looking for treats. So kind of disproved the Lassie effect in that way. So, you know, it shows that not all of our dogs have that amazing rescue gene in them, clearly.
S1: Oh my God. Well, that's a bit reassuring because then maybe, you know, maybe dogs aren't better than us. Maybe. Maybe that boosts my self-esteem a bit there, Angus. Now, just to wrap up, I wanted to ask you about a tip that doctor Mia Cobb told you about how we can make our dogs lives better. She's an animal welfare scientist and dog expert. What can we do, Angus?
S2: Yeah, so it kind of goes to this point that, you know, this study was in some ways limited because it was only relying on visuals. And dogs are primarily smell driven. And what you can really do to make your dog's life better is to realize that they live in that smell driven world and slow down on the walks and let them sniff. Because when we go for a bushwalk, for example, we're looking for those visual nice things. We're looking at flowers, we're hiking to the lookout, and we're looking at a beautiful mountain view for a dog that's a telegraph pole covered in we, you know, that's what this scientist compared, you know, being able to smell a really funky patch of grass is to a dog, a beautiful, stunning view because they just get so much cool information from that patch of grass. So a lot of the time people are trying to get their steps up and jogging, and maybe that's okay, but what you can do is just maybe for one walk a day, really slow down, let your dog sniff. And research shows that dogs that are allowed to sniff on their walks are much happier, their brains are healthier, and they feel a lot safer and calmer at home as well. So it's really worth doing.
S1: That is super sweet. Angus. I do have one actually. Last question. Do we know why all of these studies about dogs are coming out now? Like, is there any particular reason?
S2: I don't know. I mean, what we do know in a place like Australia is that dog ownership is really increasing. I think at least half of all households now have a dog within them. So man's best friend is only becoming closer to the human race. And I think that means that we become ever more curious about these animals that have become such intrinsic parts of our lives after really co-evolving with us for the last 14,000 years.
S1: That's incredible. Thank you so much, Angus, as always, for your time.
S2: Anytime.
S1: Today's episode was produced by Josh towers. Our executive producer is Tammy Mills, and our podcasts are overseen by Lisa Muxworthy and Tom McKendrick. If you like our show, follow the Morning Edition and leave a review for us on Apple or Spotify. Thanks for listening.