Speaker 1: Northern Territory government is considering a trial to let territorians carry pepper spray.
Speaker 2: Is that right? Yeah, that's right. I don't know whether you're aware or not, but Western Australia has already wronged out this plan where they are under strict guidelines of course, owing people in Western Australia to be able to gain access to sea spray or pepper spray or capsican spray, whatever you would like to call it. But now and Tea is actually looking at that as well. So it's going to be a really interesting time because there's a lot of people on the fence about this. I actually bored anything or an item or a product that is nonthol that's going to allow people to protect themselves. But I think again we're actually addressing really gray area and legal field here in regards to the roll out and the usage of capsican spray.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, to me, it sounds like a ridiculous idea.
Speaker 2: What's ironic to me? And this is sort of where I've got my back just a lot, to be honest with you feel because here they are they're rolling it out to pavilions to carry under strict guidelines. So we've got lawful self defense. We've got reason grounds there'll be purchase restrictions in WA and Northern Territory, which meant that potentially licensed gun vendors will actually you won't be able to buy it over the counter at Bunnings. But here we've got a situation where security personnel who potentially are licensed and have the training to be able to carry the OC spry cannot carry it or use it in the course of their duties, but they are selling it and roll out to civilians.
Speaker 1: What's the territory on that with security guards? Is that nationwide?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right, it's nationwide. At the moment they OC spray is considered a prohibitive weapon if used in the course of duty. So in actual fact, as a security officer across Australia, we can potentially purchase it as a civilian, but we can't use it in the course of our duties. So if we feel like that we're in imminent danger as a civilian, we can utilize.
Speaker 1: This now, but not as a security guard.
Speaker 2: Not as a security And again, you think after this bond Eie tragedy that happened in Sydney, you would think that we would be the first people that could do the trials utilize the OC spray, But it's not they're selling it and giving it to civilians. But also what they're doing is saying that you need to use it for appropriate use. Now, my thoughts or perception of imminent anger and life threatening may be a little bit different to yours feel So how are they actually going to circumnavigate that A will? Did you use it and misappropriately use that? Like? How are they going to determine this?
Speaker 1: And a couple of things. You would have more right to use it than I would because you're a security guide. And also the Bondi junction thing wasn't just a one off anymore. You've got all of those situations going on with the machetes and everything like that at the shopping centers.
Speaker 2: Well, that's exactly right. Even though the stats aren't out for twenty twenty five at the moment, in regards to crime rate, they're saying that there's been a two point one percent increase in violent crime, which doesn't sound a lot, but across Australia that's about four hundred and fifty thousand violent incidents. When we're talking assaults, grievous body harm that has occurred across Australia on top of the already stats that we have, and the fact that security personnel first responders the majority of the time, you know, and people yell out security or the sirens go off wherever we are, we are the first responders. We respond, We take that on board and then we contact the emergency services and saying this would have changed anything, but potentially if we had to have access to OC spray or the pepper spray and the Bondo tragedy, you know, And I'm not saying this is the case, I'm saying what would the outcome have been?
Speaker 1: If you're in a position to defend yourself and you've got the training, then I absolutely believe you should have it. What are the prerequisites though, what are the requirements that you have to have legally in Western Australia and under the trial in the Northern Territory as a civilian to be able to get hold of pepper spray.
Speaker 2: Well, all you have to do is go into a license dealer. You've got to have a state address, being Western Australia or Northern Territory. So I can't travel from New South Wales and go into the wa interest. But you've got to have lawful self defense. So you've got to actually come a like you actually need that in regards to lawful self defense. Only what's the criteria? There is none at this time. Reasonable grounds is another. So it's it's saying it there's nothing that actually really qualifies what the reasonable ground is because that's a legal isn't it. That's exactly right, And the government is sort of showing due diligence and they're saying, well, wiling this out to protect people. And again I applaud anything that is non lethal of course to protect people. But use limitations. Tell me what that is, phil like, what is the usage limitations including unlawful possession of a weapon.
Speaker 1: And how can you verify whether or not the person that used it was actually under threat?
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. I'm saying perception of imminent danger is totally different to what I see to what you would see.
Speaker 1: It's based on the perception of what's in front of you. If you were trained security guard, you know, if you're a person who's walking down the street, you assume that you've got imminent danger.
Speaker 2: Well, that's exactly right. But another thing is is that the civilian that actually gains access to this OC spray doesn't need to be certified or trained. So here we go. There's also they're going to have penalties for misusage. Now when that gets into the court system, how are they going to determine that because there's four thousand dollars?
Speaker 1: Well that was my point exactly, how are you going to verify it? How can you prove in court what the situation was unless you've got foot each of it.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, exactly right. And that's when we come back to security personnel. Like we've got reactive protective equipment at the moment in regards to stab proofs. We've got the body cams, but we haven't got the preventative measures. I mean, like I said, we can, we can purchase it as a civilian, but we can't use it in the course.
Speaker 1: Of a ridiculous law. That's a crazy law. Let's open up the phones on this treena.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd be interested to see what people think about this, particularly paramedics, because they're actually coming forward and saying that spraying this stuff can affect your breathing as well. So a lot of people on the fence here