Speaker 1: You can everyone here until one o'clock today with Perth Today, I'm Simon Beaumont. Thanks to my mate and Colie Golly Peterson for filling in so admirably yesterday. The yes no went off yesterday. Do you think's got Morrison should hand back in his AC and I think it was overwhelmingly yes, or he shouldn't have received one in the first place. I guess to ours answered in a slightly different way. Thanks for listening in today. I'll have a yes no question for you in just a moment. We have some breaking news from the city of Mandra At the next ten minutes. One of the giants, one of the giants down there, the Timber Giants, Thomas Dambo's Giants, has had its legs amputated, and I'll tell you a bit more about that in just a moment on the program. Thanks for listening him. Dave Parkinson's back today after ten o'clock for True Detective So the veteran Superintendent Dignitary Protection bloke, hard nosed Copper. We'll be back in to talk to us after ten. One of our favorite segments, vict and Travel. We be talking European cruisers today. There's a push to call pharmacist doctors, pharmacists who have got a master's to call them doctors. Wonder what you think about that. We'll chat after eleven o'clock on that today and you welcome to call in one double three eight eighty two. Just listening to the station over the weekend and yesterday I'm listening to some of the commentary that's around the place. I heard JB. Jamie Burnett talking to Christina the Copper about the e scooters, the rideables and the operation over the weekend, and we have done a lot on that topic on this show. That it does sound like the police do not want the rideable high scooters, the horrible E writers back. They don't want them back in the city of Perth or in Vincent. That's the very clear message I heard from from the Assistant commissioner. They're not coming back, and they have they have quite some say so. Yes, they did pick them up and they see some scooters, but it sounds like the cops do not want e rideable high scooters back in the city. That's what I heard over the weekend. I reckon one double three eight eighty two. You can text as zero four eight seven two were bringing that breaking news from the giants, the Mandra giants. In just a moment, we are looking to confirm that one of the giants went in for some scheduled mate and SPA treatment but has had her legs amputatum. Tell me more about that in just a moment. Now. The Prime Minister is to speak to the National Press Club today and I want to ask you this question. Want to try and clear something up today. Right, Let's clear this up once and for all. So yes or no? Are you optimistic about Australia's future? Yes or no? Are you an optimist? Yes or no? So the PM will outline his plan for his next term of government, possibly next two terms of government. Albo will speak to the National Press Club today. But there's a report out today from IPSOS. IPSOS forty seven percent of the Australian population believe the country is in decline and that is our society is broken. I find that an extraordinarily high figure. I'm a Yes, I'm an optimist. What are you? Are you an optimist? And are you optimistic about Australia's future? Yes or no? Love to hear from you today. Are you optimistic about Australias future? I am my kids, You've got jobs, they're healthy, they're going well. Yeah, you know. I tend to look at the future through it through the eyes of my kids and my family. But I am optimistic about Australia's future. Are you one double three eight d two You can text a zero four eighty seven triple nine eight ety two. Are you optimistic about Australia's future? This IPSOS poll seems to suggest that nearly half the population are not believe the country's in decline and that our society is broken. I find that a very very high figure. I'm certainly not reflected by people I know and people I work with, my family, but lots of people are, and I wonder why that is SMS zero four eight seven triple nine eight eady two. Are you optimistic about Australia's future? Yes? Or are you a no? Are you pessimistic about Australia's future? We'd love to hear from you one double three ay two or textas zero four eight seven triple nine eight eighty two And how do you what's your KPI for optimism? Is it about your is it about cost of living? Is it political? Is it about sunshine? Is about the beach. Is it about congestion? Is it about population? What is it? Yes? The ones at this stage and the nos one so Steve says no. I don't know why Steve says nobody. He's saying no. We've got had a yes as well, So one yes and one no. Are you optimistic about Australia's future? The Prime Minister Anthony Alberanezi will talk to the National Press Club today and outline his plan for all of us. Are you optimistic or are you pessimistic? Are you an optimist? Yes or no? We'll take a break. It's twelve minutes past nine. I'm Simon Beaumont just to let you know for our caller of the day today, the best of the West are heading west for NRL State of Origin Game two, Queensland versus New South Wales. Can Queensland bounce back? And our radio station six PI has double passes to be one so you can catch all the action live Wednesday June the eight at Opta Stadium, So be listening later in the show for this queue to call. So that's the cue to call and today's code word for US is a rivalry. Today's code word for US as rivalry. When you hear that QUEU to call some by Tina. Call this number one double three eighty two and phone in the code word today for our show is rivalry, as in the rivalry between Queensland and New South Wales. Thanks for listening in today some of our correspondents that's coming in today. On are you an optimist? There's a report around that up to half of Australians are pessimistic about our future and they feel our society is broken and in decline. So yes or no? Are you an optimist? Michael said yes, just need to lower our debt for the future. Thank you, Michael. Andrew Goday Andrew, good morning Simon. No housing is too expensive? Small block snow backyard, Yeah maybe, mate. I mean that's going to happen, isn't it with urban infill. There's still plenty of big blocks around in Perth. But yeah, take your point. Thank you mate. I'm fifty to fifty, says Mick. I see a lot of things I don't like, but I'm optimistic that we're still okay. Ashley says, yes, I am optimistic. Having traveled extensively, always happy to come home to a great country. Our standard living political stability and diversity of many of the positives. I suggest that many don't appreciate what we have sins. Ashley Martin says, I've been here twenty years now and sadly Australia has declined that there is much more divide amongst people. Australia's week and pandace to ideologies as an example. When we arrived here, the no schools with fences around them. Now all schools have fences because we can't deal with problems. Yes, in decline, Martin, thank you. I'm sorry you feel like that, mate, but I appreciate your thoughts. Cult from Winchester. Yes, we're in rapid decline. That's probably a no. In rapid decline, isn't it? Cult forty two percent now in some form of benefits, we are no longer the lucky country. People now ask can be done for them and say the old adage, what can we do for them? Not optimistic? On my fraid, dull so it's coming in thick and fast. So are you optimstic about Australia's future? The Yester twelve and the Nose of sixteen happy to hear from you today. I'm in the yeses so I might put up to thirteen. I think we're going okay. But as I say, mostly see the future through the eyes of my kids, and they're going okay as well. One double three a eighty two. I'm going to bring you a story just a moment. There's a situation down in Mandra with one of the giants. She's had her legs ambutator. You can call in one double three eight eddy two. You can text A zero four eighty seven till nine eight ety two. Well, listens. Around about one million people have viewed the Giants down a Mandra since they've been open, and they are own an incredibly popular tourism attraction for internationals, nationals and local tourists. They are amazing Thomas Dambo's giants down through down through Mandra. And we've heard a little whisper that one of them has had suffer an attack, an insect attack, a termite attack. And joining us now is Caroline Knight, the mayor of the city of Manager. Hi, Caroline, thank you for talking to us.
Speaker 2: Oh good morning, signmon lovely to be here with you.
Speaker 1: Can we confirm that we've got some terminite action on the secret giant.
Speaker 2: Look, we can look unfortunately did this hit her. Our much loved Lake Clifton giant is legless at the moment, and I know that sounds terrible, but look, it's actually a lovely story of community partnership that we have down here. But with the city of Manager working with our local mentioned group who conduct fortnightly checks in on our giants to see how they're going. And obviously, as the listeners, with no recycled wood out in our bush land, he is always under attack from white ants. And unfortunately, two weeks ago they identified that she had some termites in her feet, which a little bit, a little bit.
Speaker 1: Sad, it's unsurprising. I mean, it's recycled wood, it's soft wood, it's something that a term might would be keen on.
Speaker 2: I reckon absolutely, I'd say they would be loving that. But look, the men Shed were fantastic in identifying that. And so she's had her legs removed and she is closed at the moment, but we will have her back back in time for school holidays in about two weeks times, and the men Shed are helping with that work. So, you know, really lovely to have that partnership.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good, well done to them, and I know. I think she was booked in for a SPA treatment about a month ago, but she has been closed for longer than expected. So how long until she's got her legs back and he's back in action.
Speaker 2: We're hoping two weeks, so by school holidays is the plan. We're just giving her a really good pedicure. She's going to look beautiful when she's back there and be ready to welcome. And as you know she's been have all been so incredibly popular with community. I think in the first year we I think it's about over eighty six thousand visitors from outside the region in just the first year alone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is they are fantastic. I think I read somewhere that maybe twenty twenty six, somehow or other, the schedule winds up. What does that actually mean? Do they get removed or do you are they handed over to you? What happens in twenty six.
Speaker 2: Well, Thomas, so the life expectancy is about three to five years. And Thomas Danbo is very much of the view that they were made of recycled material and nature will take its course and you know, they will decay, and so you know, when we're doing maintenance to keep them going for as long as we can, but when they get to a point where they're no longer structurally found, we'll have.
Speaker 3: To remove them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so they do.
Speaker 2: We're trying to keep that because they are so popular, Oh of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And I know there's a big volunteer sort of construction team that have been involved right from the start. And when that one was vandalized and burned, I know everyone was all hands to the wheel. So what will you do? Will you try and maintain them yourselves? There are an amazing attraction. What will you do if they do start to fall apart?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the city has an ongoing maintenance plan and you know we're doing that all the time, just keeping them going as long as we can. But obviously, you know, when they do reach end of life, which was Thomas Dambo's desire, they will be no more. So that's you know, we'll keep that going for as long as we can.
Speaker 4: And that's why that.
Speaker 2: Partnership with the Menship is so so lovely, that the fact that they go out there every two weeks and check out and so we can treat things like turn nights.
Speaker 1: Yeah, any concern for any of the other giants Caroline.
Speaker 5: Noel.
Speaker 2: I think that the men shared are out there fortnightly, so they're checking regularly, so you know, we are alerted early and that's the most important.
Speaker 1: Thing part of the appeal of this. And Danbo himself is a recycler and a forager. We all know that. We will know that about him. Can you change the type of wood you use? Because I spoke to one of my carbon to makes about this and he said that type of wood is ice cream for termites.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know it's too much. Look, that was that was Thomas Dambo's desire. I mean, he's the artist. Obviously he's aware of that. Are these guiants, he does have them across across the world. You know, he chose to use that because it was discarded, recycled good, knowing full well that they are vulnerable, and you know, there's an incredible amount of time that goes into building them and just random fact, I think it's over seven hundred and fifty.
Speaker 5: Hours to make each one, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: But you know he chooses to use recycled material and we have to respect that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So they do have a shelf life. That's that's part of the Thomas Dambo deal, isn't it. Thank you for talking to us today, Thank you for confirming and good luck. Hopefully she's back up and running and a viewable soon.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Simon Lovely to stop here.
Speaker 1: The mayor of the City of Mandra, Caroline Night there confirming that the Secret Giants has termites and well spotted by the men shed and look that I hadn't thought about that. That's news to me. Maybe I've completely missed that. But though the Mandra Giants after twenty twenty six will be no more, so get down and see them even during the winter months. I don't know how to pronounce this giant's name. I think it's I'm not it's the Secret Giant. It's the Lake Clifton Giant. But yeah, she's got termites and it's been out of action since I think early May or mid May. So that's that is the case. And as sands to reason, doesn't it that these these giants do use recycled palette wood, would from palettes, so they would be they would be vulnerable to termite action? But did you know that? And what do you reckon? The City of Mandra and the state should try to get some more or should they try and maintain them, maybe change the type of wood. And I'm just thinking on the Flyhea, because I had no ideas. That are no idea that after twenty twenty six the mantra giants will be no more. That was Thomas Dambo's plant. He's a forager, he's a recycler. He uses recycled wood. One double three eight eighty two. I'll get back to our poll in just a moment. Are you optimistic about Australia's future? Sadly, and this does reflect the national poll today the nose of twenty five and the yes is a twenty that's a great shame. I will get thanks you for sending in your correspondence. I will read out as much of it as I can. I do appreciate it. THEO Evans is an associate professor, he's an applied entomologist. At Uwa joins us now to talk about termites.
Speaker 6: Good a theo ah, good morning, sitement.
Speaker 1: Good to talk to you. So this type of wood would be very attractive for the manager termite community, I would imagine.
Speaker 7: So I'm not one hundred percent sure of the wood species.
Speaker 8: Is it pine?
Speaker 1: I think it's recycled pine.
Speaker 7: I think yes, so it's very few pines have evolved resistance to terminio attacks because most pines is growing in cold, wet climates, so there's no urmit I think called wet climates, so the trees didn't evolve resistance to termid attack. We grow mostly radiator pine in the southern parts of Australia and that is actually a warmer pine, but from the Caribbean originally, and there's a few different subspecies in different places in the Atlantic, and those islands actually had very few turmits on them as well, so it's the same deal. It's very low natural resistance.
Speaker 5: And these.
Speaker 7: Giants which I saw not long after the exhibition opened, and that's fantastic. Everyone should go see them. That particular one is placed in a forest. Us is highter, I think is how you say the name and is a name and heighter means hut or cavern, and so it's in forest which is stilled with termites, so there would be a lot of termites around and it would only just be a matter of time till they find the wood, and because there's no resistance, it would be eaten quite happily.
Speaker 1: It is highter a lot that theo thank you things for helping us out there, and would they be would the termites in that forest where she is, would they be more active in the cooler months or you're saying the summer months, are you?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 7: So they rely on like all insects, they rely on the weather, the temperature around them. They're not cold blooded creatures. They can generate heat in their own nest when there's lots of them all together, but when they leave the nest and go foraging, they rely on the external temperatures and so it's cold, they get cold. They can't move very much. So you tend to get a peak in urmide activity through the warmer months and are much lower to almost none in the colder months. They come late jam Henary into February into March, when the southwest of Wa gets very dry. Then actual activity decreases a lot as well, because termites need water, and as the soil drives out, they tend to stay home a lot more because they will actually harm themselves because I lose too much water in the environment. So a bit of a drop off in the late summer, but still activity levels.
Speaker 1: Are pretty high well, and a number of questions coming through from our listeners on our talk back line on our text line for you is and it's news to me that the giants might not be around in twenty twenty seven. I didn't know that. I hope we can do something. Is it possible to use another type of wood that will be more resistant to termites? I mean the city of Mandre will probably have to strike a deal with the artists I suspect the original sculptor. But is there a wood that's preferable where you can make installations like that?
Speaker 7: So you can use hardwoods that come from areas where there's a lot of termite activity, So famously in Australia, in Southwest Australia, there's jarra which has higher levels of termite resistance, but even more one do and turret has higher levels of resistance than jarra. But there's a variety of tropical hardwoods that could be used. But there's another issue that comes along, and that's wood rot fungus. So most people have heard about wood rot fungi. They can get into your houses. So any wood that gets in contact with the ground can absorb water from the ground and that means it's now vulnerable to wood rot fungal attack, and there's no wood that can resist wood rot fungus forever. It's only a matter of time, and once the fungus gets in, it actually makes the wood more palatable.
Speaker 1: For the termites.
Speaker 7: The first issue perfect still going to be how to stop the moisture, and then once you can do that, then you can go on to think about how you stop the termites up.
Speaker 1: All right, as you say, probably not unexpected down there in the Lake Clifton forest that she has been has been a target. But yeah, Nanca, so I didn't I didn't realize they were you know, they had a shelf life the comprehensive. Thank you for talking to us at six PR. Good on you.
Speaker 7: It's my please assignment. Have a good day.
Speaker 1: Yeah you too, Associate Professor Theo Evans. I've got a mate who is buying a house at the moment, and still you know you have to get a termini inspection. It's still it's part of our it's part of our vernacular, it's part of our lifestyle, it's part of our construction industry. You still need to get a termite inspection before you buy a house, right, so it is all part of it. Wonderuble three eight two. Yeah, happy to talk to about white ants and termites if you like. They do live in the forest and they've eaten the legs off one of the giants down in mandra It's we kind of have to live with them, don't we. If you're if you're aware of a high profile structure that's been attacked by termite, So if that's happened in your home, or you know, if you've got a termine story, let us know one double three eight eighty two yes, no question. Are you optimistic about Australia's future? Then yes are twenty one and the nose of thirty seven. The nose are thirty seven. I'll come back to some of your responses as the show goes on. Yeah, thanks for your thoughts today. Are you optimistic about Australia's future? There's some research out overnight that suggests forty seven percent of us are not Albo Anthony Alberinezi. The PM is giving an address to the National Press Club later today. The yes is are twenty one of the question is are you optimistic about Australia's future? That yes is are twenty one, the nos are thirty seven. Jim get A, Jim definitely, Yes, is the best country in the world. Pessimists should pull their heads out of the sand, look around and realize how they're good. We've got it too many entitled people here, David says. Country in decline, crime and lawlessness, ethnic hatred, loss of social cohesion, poor leadership, political lies, government debt and overspending defense force is pathetic, no productivity, renewables fraud, continues David. That is that is a big issue. Isn't the renewables issue? The net zero transition? We just returned the worst government despite all this we did David through preferences. Admittedly, John says Simon, wouldn't they spray them every couple of months for the termites? Thanks John. Steve says Huon Pine h Uo n Huon Pine from Tasmania. The last two thousand years below and above ground is full of natural oils. And Brad says the giant needs sneakers made from urmi mesh. Thanks Brad. Dan says it's a yes from me. What other country you prefer to live in the best place in the world? This one here from ben Guda Ben No. We are killing this country on the same path as the UK. I hope I'm wrongs has been in capitals. A lot of people not optimistic about the future of the country, optimistic that the Yester twenty two and the nose of thirty eight. I mean, yes, I'm part of the twenty two. It wou'd be different if you're a migrant, if you've come from somewhere else too. We've come from England, which is it rains all the time. My dad used to say, every day be raining now in England. One duble three two. Hello, Jeff, Hi Simon, how are you good? Thank you? You know a bit about timber and termites.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, I do a little bit. So we're using a new product that's coming from the Netherlands. It's initially a sustainable pine which has been treated. It's called a koya, which has been treated with a non toxic natural product which is kept very secret. No one seems to know what it is. But it's used a lot for decking, for joinery, staircases and at the moment because it's a.
Speaker 1: Substitute for jara.
Speaker 9: You know, you used to get a lot of boardwalks and that made out of jarra. Now this product's used. We've machine a lot of it and it has a lifespan of guarantee of a lifespan of wood rot terms for fifty years. So that's that's the new product that's we tend to be using at the moment.
Speaker 1: So and what is it is it? Is it like if you went down and down to mand r could you could you paint it on the giant's feet? What does it look like? Yeah, yeah, yeah you could.
Speaker 9: Yeah you could use it. Yeah, I definitely could use it to make Yeah, you definitely could use it for that and the last fifty years. Being that it's a pine. Here in Australia, Western Australia we use the arsenic and lo osp treated pine, which is really a non non environmental product. But with this new product coming from the Netherlands, the treatment is guaranteed.
Speaker 8: To be not.
Speaker 9: Just not destroyed for for the environment, for trees, for animals, animals constew it and nothing will happen. So yeah, okay, can I just can I just say just one quick simon if you mate, we put we put timber out on our verge just a bit of a serious now, we put timber out on our verge for a lot of pensioners and down and out people for their firewood. That's the last couple of weeks I've had someone pinching out crates and bags, just taking them more, And I just want to say that person's listening. You know, you're doing a designer to all these poor pensioners that come around on the weekend picking timber to keep them warm. And I just wish that I'm not going to go the police for it, but I just wish that he sort of pee or share. I should say, stop stop doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, thanks mate. Yeah, so that these are the containers that Jeff Jeff's business put timber out for people to grab. One double three two is the phone number. Yeah, Bob from Bill bullwinklekodo Bob, Sorry, Simon, but I'm a no watching the deterioration of traditional values is sad. These values with a cornerstone in society. It's a worry. So Bob, Thanks Bob. Goodyear from your mate. Ben from Kelmscott says no. Janet says yes, becoming so overpopulated, the cost of living declining, So I think you're in No, Janet, I think an aileen of reason, the voice saying next to me, sorry mate, ailing the voice of reason said, seems that even the giants are subject to inbuilt obsolescence. That's such a shame. Yeah, Ailien, I get and I had no idea. But Thomas Dambo is a forager and a recycler, and he it was always his plan, which I must have been somewhere in the in all of it. It was always the plan that the giants, would you know, had a shelf life. A developing story. We are hearing this is coming out of Hamilton Hill. We are hearing that Plantagenet President in Hamilton Hill has been cordoned off by police. There are multiple police vehicles there. There is a primary school in the area called south Well. Southwold Primary School has sent a message to their parents advising the parents of the street closure please so there's no threat to student safety. So we are we are hearing that now the no of We'll try and chase up some more information from authorities. Bills phone in High Bill good A.
Speaker 3: Simon's I ever thought you were joking when you said you were a years person.
Speaker 1: I am not.
Speaker 3: You, and I agree on just about almost everything when you've come out with that thought as joking. But I don't like being a negative person at all. But I was brought up in Australia, Western Australia when it was fabulous. My parents never ever locked our doors and that was that was in victim. You know, somebody has has their doors unlocked now that they've got to be a damn good fighter or have some something good behind the front door.
Speaker 1: That's so, that's a that's a good KPI, Bill, you know, having a lock our cars and our houses, that's a I understand that. I think there's probably still some place in the country we don't have to do it, Bill. But yeah, well mate, keep listening and hopefully we can continue to agree and disagree on stuff. How old are you, Bill?
Speaker 3: A young eighty two?
Speaker 1: All right, so you've seen a bit of seen a bit of action.
Speaker 3: I'm still yeah, well i've I've don't know. You played sport more often than not. And it wasn't long ago that I still water skiing.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: One of my friends dragged me. He started off slowly and dragged me along slowly, and I got worn out. He's not a friend anymore.
Speaker 1: But you don't sound a spot.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: Well, your show is really good, and they say it's I pay a lot of attention to it, and that's what I'm saying. It's for a pom. You a really good guy. It's just amazing. I met an irishman yesterday and h he's a really he's a really really interesting guy. And I might have some really good news for you in another six months time. Yeah right, yeah, and which will be really interesting for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me know. Bill. You know where we are. Bill always you can always ring And I am up, mate, hang in.
Speaker 10: I'm all right.
Speaker 3: And I just feel sorry for the kids these days, and and the girls. There's too many girls now and we need more more males born. I've got five granddaughters and I think crops are no good males around it.
Speaker 1: All right, matey, good to talk to you Bill. Thanks mate. Billy's Bill's not not optimistic about the Australia's future because we have to lock our doors. And you know, I know what he means. That's a sense of a sense of loss of security, loss, you know, some lawlessness. But it's probably I'm not meaning to be glib here, but that's a worldwide thing, isn't it. That's part of a part of what we see worldwide. But Bill's not optimistic. Habit to take your calls one double three eight to eighty two. Did you know that the giants were had a shelf life? And I just when we come back, I'm going to make a comment. John mcketney's stepping down as the head of the Triple of the Triple c and it's you know, he's devoted that the former judges devoted a lot of his life to the Triple Sea and the work that it does. They've had some high profile victories. They managed to land Paul White. You know we heard Millsy and Carl talk about this morning. Paul White is the work in this building here for the Department of Communities and ripped off all of us that the most excessive public servant criminal in the history of Western Australia, somewhere between twenty two and twenty five million bucks he managed to rip off out of the system because he's an executive at Communities and was allowing jobs to go ahead without being approved. And it was jobs where he was taking the money out of the system for himself and some of his dodgy mates. So you know that has been a high profile scout. But I would say, and I'll come back to this in just a moment, I would say that that Paul White had whistleblowers inside communities. That wasn't all down to the Triple See, the Triple C landed him, and you know, through their contacts and through the police, we were to bring their considerable powers to bear. But a lot of that heavy lifting was done by people within the department itself who blew the whistle on this dodgy bloke. I'll come back to that in just a moment, because there's another story doing the rounds about a Department of Justice employee teenager where a Triple C investigation and an internal Department of Justice investigation matters to nothing, and on the face of it, it seems really obvious that this young bloke was given favors by virtual nepotism and family context contacts. We'll come back to that in just a moment. Wonderuble three eight e two and our question today, are you optimistic about Australia's future? I'm not optimist, So with yes, the thirty in the nose of forty eight, Tony's funding. Hi, Tony, there you goes.
Speaker 11: I would just let you know there's a police cars smashed into civilians car on a corner of Patterson and Reid Road in Rockingham. Oh no, yeah, so there's behind this behold, there's police on the scene. But it looks like everyone's out of the cars. But the front of the cop cars pretty smashed up. They've planned right in the middle of the B pillar on the on the driver's side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, anybody anybody hurt? Turning from what you can see.
Speaker 11: I just drove. Looked like everyone's down the vehicles, so I don't think anyone's heart But yeah, I did.
Speaker 5: A pretty good job.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That's a busy intersection too, mate, isn't it this time of road, this time of day. Thanks Tony, thank you for letting us know. He's hoping everyone's all right. One double three aged two will come back. Craig, stay there, mate, we'll have a chat to you in just a second. We want to talk about the Water Corporation. I know Olie spoke about the overflowing sewerage issues in some of the southern so' still going today. But Philip are talking about in our news are you optimistic about Australia's future? The yes at twenty nine, the nose of forty eight back in a moment, How good was it that Sue McDougall received a gong in yesterday's King's Birthday Awards. What on Sue Center a message yesterday she's a rippers and she she's been working here at six PR on and off for over thirty years dispensing love, care and wisdom. And it's not just about the chili thrip or the tomato or your citrus. It's about caring for the canopy and the trees and the environment. So world Unsue from all of us, very very proud of you. That is a fantastic result. And if you've ridden a mountain bike in Wa, you've probably written on the track. If you've written in Dwelling Up or maybe Collie Esperances or done one of the races, you've probably had something to do with Tony Tuckknott. And Tony Tuckknott is mister mountain Bike in w A and he received an award yesterday as well. So we might try and get t t on a little bit later. Absolute Alarican rascal of a bloke, loves the bush, loves mountain biking and loves the movement. And we have, you know, seen mountain biking exploding in Wa in the last five or ten years and t T Tony tuck Knot's had a lot to do that and he picked up a gong yesterday as well. Just this story, this is not our story. This comes from the national broadcaster. The State Political Reporters has the story. So the Department of Justice have got a seventeen year old family member who works at the DOJ and has received a number of sort of I guess contracts and then permanent work, but has also received and jump a Q for government fund housing. So this person hasn't been named because they're seventeen obviously, but the DOJ ran their own investigation and said move on, there's nothing to see here, and Triple C were called in and they've also said so the Triple c's Parliamentary Inspector, Matthew Zilko said that the investigation was wholly inadequate. So on a day that we commend John mckeckney for his work as the head of the Triple C, the former judge, we see the Triple C running the ruler on the Department of Justice and be coming up with being very has been an investigation wholly inadequate. So this is seventeen year old. It's just amazing that people still think this is okay. It's been given a couple of contract jobs and an extent a permanent position and as jump the Q to get a house, a three bedroom house in country wa seemingly bypassing a waiting list, DOJ run their investigation? Move along? There's nothing to see here. Matthew Zilko from the Triple C says, no good. This is wholly inadequate. And this is on a day where John mckeckney steps down. I guess the question of what Triple C is meant to do and has it achieved? It under John's watch is alive and well? I reckon, Veronica, are you optimistic about Australia's future?
Speaker 10: Absolutely optimistic. I couldn't be more optimistic, Simon fantastic.
Speaker 1: And why why so.
Speaker 12: Is the best country in the world and I feel blessed to be here.
Speaker 1: That's all right, thank you, Veronica. She's an emphatic Yes. We'll put you in the yes column. You heard Oli yesterday, feel it. He was well, he was more than filling in. He was just came in off the bench in magnificent for Molly yesterday on this show and he spoke about the sewerage leaks through the southern suburb. Shane Lover has just put out a statement saying this water, apparently this sewerage water has gone into the Swan River. It's contaminated the Swan River. Craig has texted us today about the water corporation issues in the Midwest. Could I Craig good? Good mate? What's happened?
Speaker 6: Yeah, my son sent me a message last night about five pm to say that the water is off in Port Dennison and Dongra and all the surrounding suburbs Bonnyfield and Springfield. According to the Great Vine up there, the main pipe water supply pipe to the town has burst and watercopper in the process of fixing it. Estimated about midday to day to be repaired.
Speaker 1: So where to in the absence of ning Kraige, where do dong Report, Dennison and those places get their water from? Is it dam water?
Speaker 6: I know it's a boarfield, okay, I get it from a ball field. It's not part of the I don't think it's connected to the metro area supply to a separate, separate supply okay.
Speaker 1: And went off at three o'clock yesterday's and still not back on as.
Speaker 6: Of a couple of minutes ago. Yes, still not back on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, And it's definitely and there's definitely you know you do in some of those country towns like busso there's bustles and water and these kind of authorities. Is it definitely Watercourt Craig.
Speaker 6: Yes, there's definitely Watercorp up there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. All right mate, thanks letting us know. We'll follow it up, Thank you, Craig. Yes, so Shane, yeah, I mean different issue obviously, sewage and waste all are different to water supply. I think Shane Love is making the point today.
Speaker 8: You know, we've.
Speaker 1: Got in a pretty healthy situation budget wise here in w A, and critical infrastructure like sewerage is shouldn't be leaking into the Swan River, shouldn't be made in suburban streets and in houses, and Shane saying the government and Water Court must provide answers. It's a serious public health and environmental risk, says Shane Love by a correspondence today. One of our listeners from Peters is Tony Tuckknott won the w A speed Card Championship with Clermont's Speedway. I didn't know that, Peter. I do know that he used to have a company called T t Autos, but he's missed a mountain bike these days, mate, And he's a ripper and he got a gone yesterday. Well done. No are you an optimist? No, says I can't get it. I don't think that has a name. Chris is. It's a solid note from me. This country is on a path of total poverty. It's completely engineered by design. A majority of people more than hay to have someone else think for them, provide them to take care of all their needs. That's quite obviously. The latest election results is Chris Chris. That's yeah. There is a silent majority, isn't there, mate, No doubt about it? Or you know, returned albeit by preferences. But that is the that is the system. Mike says, definitely know while labor is in power. This one here from Robbo Free The world is stuffed, let alone Australia with even a dune down mediocre world on average people aren't they great at anything? Watch the movie Idiocracy and that's the way the world and Australia are going. Thanks Robo. Don't agree with you, mate, but thanks for you, Thanks for your thoughts today. Appreciate it. The Midwest outages are on the water Court web page. So this is don Graam point Port Dennison estimated back on by midday to day five to ten. Thanks for listening in The incident at Plantagenet Crescent and Hammi Hill is mental health related. There's no threat to the public. Thank you from the police for letting us know. You know our topic today about optimism and pessimism is not meant to make people desperately happy or despondent. If you are struggling course the number for Lifeline it's one three, double one, one four. I'm Simon Beaumont. This is Perth Today asking the question today. Yes, no, are you optimistic about Australia's future? I am, and I hope I'm not being shallow about this, but it's a pretty good place to live. I would have thought generally, but that's me seeing it through the eyes of my kids, and a lot of people saying I am looking at this question through the eyes of my kids and they're not going to buy their be able to buy their own homes and need help from bank of Mum and dad and so on. Denise says, Hi, Denise, not much hope for Australia. I agree with Rober one hundred percent. I'm sorry to hear that Denise not optimistic, says cafe rubbish, Government going down the toilet, Immigration, health Housing, I could go on. I'm sorry to hear that caffe one double three eight two pizzas. No bloody way. We won't even have power lights. We're on our way out, it says the light's going out. Pete thirty seven yeses and fifty nine knows the nose not optimistic about Australia's future. After ten o'clock today, true detective with Dave Parkinson Parking's back. He's been the security detail for a number of heavy hitters. Stay listening, speaking down hard it are you optimistic about Australia's future? The yeses are thirty nine and the nose are sixty seven. And Lionel, our favorite email correspondent, has emailed in and he's a yes, Lionel. Thank you, Lionel. I do appreciate that. I hope you haven't misunderstood the question that doesn't seem in keeping with your normal correspondence. Mate. Thanks letting us know. Smithy in Balla Jurisys Tony Tuckknott is a famous speedway champion of WA from the nineties, says Smithy. Thank you. Smithy had an award in the King's Birthday Awards this yesterday, Mate for services to mountain biking. To catch up with t T a little bit later in the program, one of one of the one of the ripper blokes. Are you optimistic? No, not optimistic at all, says Louise. I'm sorry about that, Louise, this one down. It's a couple of fun Tricia. This is funny from Trisha or I think it's funny. No, not with this numpty in charge, any mpt y numpty, he'll destroy a beautiful country. We voted him back him Trish And, albeit by preferences, but we voted him back in number, in big number. Hell And says, I'm optimistic for Australia's future. I've traveled to Vietnam and NZ this year. We are going very very well. We'll keep the correspondents coming in. A lot of comments coming in. I know Oli did the interview yesterday with the water corporation about the sewerage leaks and the sewage leaks. Yeah, a lot of correspondents coming in. Doesn't sound good. Over in the southern suburbs Apple Cross. Places like that. Sounds like they're working around the clock on the sewerage leaks, but less an ideal. We'll try and stay across it for you today. Let's do this park He's done everything. He's been a street copper, he's been a superintendent, he's been a detective, he's been part of security details, dignitary protection. He joins us on per today right now, gooda, Dave, Parky, how are you okay?
Speaker 5: So i'mon all well made. I'm a big yes. I don't know what's wrong with these people.
Speaker 1: I thought you would be.
Speaker 5: May we've been through maybe we've been through two World wars. Appearents have been through a depression.
Speaker 13: Off.
Speaker 5: The stadium's packed every week in, the cricket's packed every week. In You get in a vehicle and drive from here to Kratha and you'll see billions of dollars of full and boats and there not all gray and omads, and the pubs are pretty well packed. So I really can't I really can't see where these people are coming from. I agree with the numpty, but you people have voted for him.
Speaker 1: Well mate, I as I say to Jacko each three weeks. You can still buy three bags of ice for twelve bucks when you've got.
Speaker 5: I used to try and I try to make me ownst and I forgot the recipe.
Speaker 1: All right, mate, let's get serious now. You, as I mentioned in the in the intro, you've been a lot, You've done a lot of security and dignatory protection. Pope John Paul, the second Queen Elizabeth roy or the royal family. Who are some of the others, mate.
Speaker 5: But I think I mentioned me in Paisley Friando Touchman, President of Croatia, President of Ireland, Mary Robinson. Well, I shouldn't say this, but I really fell in love with that lady. What an absolutely terrific person. And for those who don't know, are google her and she's probably one of the most amazing ladies on Earth. I think we mentioned a little bit a bit when she politely reminded me that David, I'm the British Prime Minister, you're my security officer and sort of put me back in my little hole when I was trying to do the right thing. Keating obviously Keating hawk Leaf one year was the first I'd only been in the squad in the protective service account. I derism for a couple of weeks and I was in awe of that man, and I know he's not with us anymore, but I still am. A lot of people will disagree totally because of how strict Singapore was. I went to Singapore in seventy four the first time with the made of mine from Sandstone, and we were short haired, decent looking blakes, and it was interesting at the airport Singapore airport three Izi's got turned away because the hair was just there the above the shoulder but not far and they got turned down or had to have the old haircut there.
Speaker 1: And then I think I remember the acronym party, I suspect, then hippie and transit. I do remember that back back in the day, one of the you mentioned Frojoe Tujum and the president of Croatia, and that that was one of your really big ones, wasn't it.
Speaker 5: That was very very scary. That was very very scary because we'd had the first of the Balkan which affected a significant number of people here in Western Australia. You mentioned Jacko before you know, we got very very proactive and used to go to all the Spearweddal Maddanak and all the Croats and then the clubs and and try to get in and establish a rapport. And one incident you wouldn't believe this. I've only just remembered this as we were speaking. How insignificant was this. There was a well known I think soccer ex soccer star living down in spear Wood and a group of youths egged his house and these guys were from high school down there, and it caused so much tension and there was death threats and whatever and what John watching myself actually went down there and spoke to the parents and it was so volatile. Simon. It was I just think gave us someone egging this guy's house. But this guy was not a Croatian. It was on the other side, so to speak. And once we sat down with the parents and these young kids that they were all about sixteen and explained to them the ramifications, they sort of pulled their heads in. But do you know where it came from? Came from granddad, the old granddad's meeting, sitting down having their veno and whatever on weekends and talking about it, and the very impressionable grandkids and that gone, and yeah, just something simple like this. We've been involved in some high profile stuff and pretty deadly stuff and that was part of it. Then Tudgman was incredibly scary for maybe because I was his number one coast protection officer and Todd first.
Speaker 1: First ball to prove vest his main bodyguard.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And I don't want your listeners to laugh. Don't think of what you see on the television.
Speaker 14: Now.
Speaker 5: This was actually think of a three piece suit. This was an actual vest and you couldn't move in it. It was like like you breake in a leg and they put plaster of Paris on you. So I was like, I was like a turtle, mate. I just had to head in two arms sticking out and but and I looked like Herman Munster and at the top half of my was massive and the bottom half. But what had happened just very quickly, John and myself got called to a house in Morley about a week before and there was a group of individuals and I will not compromise anyone or or what sides they were or where are they from, but basically they said we had to do everything power to stop Tutchman from coming here.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: And there was a circle, circle of men at the table. One bloke was incredibly distraught and they took me and or John and I into the room with him. And several months before his wife and three children had been executed and beheaded in front of him over in the Balkans. And I'll tell.
Speaker 1: You what, I think, that's the that's the issue for me. It wasn't that. It wasn't that long ago, was it parking? And I guess you know, here we are living over here in our part of the world, and that was happening in modern society. The atrocities were horrific, weren't they.
Speaker 5: Oh Gore terrible, And I mean there's been a number of movies and documentaries made, and I think there was one more criminal serving, more criminal charged. I think we're talking nineteen nineties, just off the top of the head. And to see what people could do to each other. There was ethnic cleansing, there was whatever. And here we had the enemy of a number of people in our community coming into our midst and it was very, very volatile and very very scary. It was probably he was only here, I think for about eighteen hours. It was probably the most intense security operation that we have ever done, and it was bloody scary mate. I don't mind, you know, I'll tell us it is. We were very, very very nervous and I'm not sure. I think it was the Perf entertainments in it. Now could be wrong that we took him and I know that there are bomb squad and technicians and everyone took nearly three days to clear that. That's that's how intense it was, so.
Speaker 1: I didn't I can't remember this. It's not often, you know, when you and I talk, I've either missed something or can't remember. But the French Consulate in Perth was five mon party. I didn't realize that.
Speaker 5: It was made. It was an honor console. It up in West Perth. The tuturemen was coming in about two pm and about half past three in the morning my phone home phone pager went off and urgent, so I rung the headquarters duty officer and they said there's a fire bombing. I took a boy myself to go up there. I went up there and there's a couple of other agencies who we know they're there, but I can't talk about They turned up and it was we had to contact the Protective Security Center in Canber obviously the Prime Minister's office, and it was full on. And the good news is that the people who were responsible actually rang in and claimed responsibility. And they gave a fictitional name. I think it was South Pacific Action Group or some something like that. I quickly said to the head investigator as no such group. And within a matter of problems as we had them, and there were just a couple of smoking a little bit of happy wead up in Kings Park and talking about the Rainbow Warrior. They probably wouldn't have been around then anyhow, and decided to go and do that now you know, just a little insottle by that causes international ramifications. The honorary Consul was terrific. He turned up and so we had that and then tugmen and I was awake from three point thirty until nine o'clock the next morning, which you would never do now under health, safety and welfare. And yeah, and the whole team, which was only about eight of nine of us, then did that. Then had to had to contend with the people. The good news is, and I'll go back to fashion. John John alias the Pope was a very good, very at reading people, and he virtually when we're at the house in Morley, he virtually told the leaders, Look, why would you give him the satisfaction. You've got a magnificent community here, you're well respected, you've got tremendous you built freemantled in West Australia. Why would you allow yourself to be on the TV and make dickids yourself. So they did the right thing, which is really really good, and they got a lot of accolades for it, because you know, it was a really horrid, torrid time after being late from three point thirty twelve nine ten the next day. I never slept for two days. I couldn't have kept steering at the ceiling because of the stress and the yea.
Speaker 1: Such was the intensity. Parky will come back in just a moment. We saw a news reporter hit by rubber bullet yesterday in struck by a rubber bullet inadvertently, I think as part of the riots in LA will come back, Parky. I'll talk to you about that because I think I reckon. I had a fair bit to do it with some of those non lethal means that I were used and deployed by the police back in the day. Stay listening Dave Parkinson's with us. This is true Detective our fortnightly segment. We look at policing issues from the past and Parky is still with us. Hey, park have you been on I know you're also the mayor of Carlisle Heights or Mount Carlisle, whatever you call it. Been on the new train yet name.
Speaker 5: My daughter went on it yesterday. And the best thing is, Simon, you can actually move in Carlisle Heights now, You've actually got a streak that you can actually drive on. But it is absolutely tremendous. It is really, really tremendous what has been done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, yesterday yesterday we saw one of the nine reporters in the Thicker Things in la and are struck by a rubber bullet. I'm not quite sure how to explain it either way, struck in the leg by a rubber bullet. Laurence to Mazzy, you had a bit to do with some of those non lethal options when they introduced the WA police back in the day.
Speaker 5: It was interesting, Simon, the taser, the pepper spray, the bean bag round beyond netgun, it didn't work too well. I was the project owner of when they decided to introduce pepper spray. I was called up and they said can we trial it? So my inspector Dennis Collinson from the Tactical Response Group. Dennis took control of that, but I was the project owner. The tases were very, very interesting. I left the Counter terrorsm Area State Protection, gone to Middland for a little while to sort o a little problem there, and then came back and they decided to introduce tases and test them. And I think I was a second bloke in W eight to get hit with one, and there was a lot of even I remember John Hammond and myself talking once on air, may have even been your showed they had a court case where someone had suffered pretty severely through the use of Taylor and we had a bit of a taste to tato about it, but no one had had died. And the amount of lives that have been saved in w A since we bought in the tases is quite extraordinary.
Speaker 1: Did it work on new party? I have heard you over the over the time that I've been here. Some some people tasers simply don't work on them, do they?
Speaker 5: Yes? But not often. I was dropped, mate, I went down and there's a couple of SAS soldiers with me and they went down one incident of oh yeah, I will There was a horrendous attack on a nurse in Swan District's hospital quite a few years ago and she suffered horrendous injuries and whatever. The offender that attacked her was a massive, massive, massive big man, and my guys hitt him about three or four times with the taser and I just had no effect. But very that is a rare occurrence because sometimes if you've you're heavily clad, you've got a lot of clothes on them whatever, you know, the spikes may not stick. But I look at it this way for them, and every incident was recorded with all deployed under the less than lethal option forms you have to fill out. They're just absolute, outstanding success and one of one of my greatest pride that I have. From the day I took over State Protection as a superintendent and started that off to the day I reached the day I left that area and I went back twice. No one lost their life under my watch, but we had a few shootings. I don't worry about that. I'm not getting away from that. We had quite a few shots fired and people hurt wounded. But those tasers and then the OC spray when we bought that in that was that certainly slaid a lot of people down as well.
Speaker 1: Do we still have main backgrounds and rubber bullets here in per party.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure about the rubber bullets and you know me, I won't comment on anything that I'm not sure of, but bean bag rounds they were certainly using him at one time and they are a tremendous asset to you know, you'd rather get hit with one of them than the full force of a weapon. And you know, the w a place record is just absolutely incredible over the years, you know, really yeah, second and none can considering if you go we I don't know, probably two thousands, so I think in Victoria there was a massive amount of place shootings quite actually, and you know we're very held in goodstead here with training and with that sort of bringing him in the commissioners of the day to bring in I'm ninety nine percent sure we were the first Australia to get the taser and then every other state followed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is related and talking to day Parkings and everybody. Former Superintendent Dignitary Protection detective street copy. He's done at all. This is true detective our segment. For the people who are corresponding with who haven't heard with it before. We talked to part every fortnight. We've talked to Forbid in the last couple of months, Parky, probably since April. Actually about these housing estates that are community they call community housing now they used to be homes where it's housing. Anti social behavior is something that you've been involved with before, and it's still happening. It is complicated. There are mental health issues involved, there are substance abuse issues involved, and some le galleries. I heard John Kerry talking to Ollie about it yesterday. But it's still around, Parky.
Speaker 13: It is Simon.
Speaker 5: And look, I can go right back to before I joined the job, and that was stood in November seventy five, and then out of Academy seventy six. I look at Lockridge. Now, I had families, a couple of sisters living there back probably nineteen seventy four or whatever, and I was quite horrified at the concept. Then there was Lockridge, Brownly Towers, Giruine, Clendula and whatever. And I'm going to get slaughtered for saying this, but I'm going to say it, basically, you've put a lot of people of the same ilk into these places. Now. The one in Inglewood is a classic example of putting people mentally affected, people who were drug affected, alcohol and whatever, and then amongst them you've put people who are trying to really make it and it just doesn't work. And it's well all documented about my daughter. She lived in Carlisle Heights and meth lab exploded next door and her wall was blun out and a few people charged.
Speaker 15: Well.
Speaker 5: Between her and myself, we'd made nearly over one hundred calls to his near Department of Communities on that And I remember on the morning show on six hour, I rang in and I was just bloody rapable. I had to talk to someone because I really was in a killing mood, and Troy Buzzwell. I called him out and give Buzzwell his due. He came out to our house and he said, well, what do we do? So I sat down in about five minutes flat and drew up what I thought was a good document, the three strikes policy Document and whatever. And in the next week or so, one of the media companies no Names, No Patrol and decided to go around and interview people who'd been kicked out, and you had the old scenario with the car and the two kids, and then the park, this, that and the other, and then and of course the government of the day got flogged and I got flogged, and you've got no part or whatever. But people have had a guts full. It is about choices, and my view has always been, if you choose to take drugs, choose to get pissed, choose to fight, choose to be idiots, and choose to make people's lives a horror, you don't deserve state housing. You don't deserve my taxpayer money. That I left school at fifteen, and I retired and I'm still doing a bit of work here here and now paid my taxes all my life. I get very pissed off when I see that my taxes are going to you people, because you don't deserve it.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, Parky, as you always could talk to you all day. The Alien, one of our listeners, says Parky is a great rack on tour and has experienced some pretty incredible and interesting stuff in his time. If he remains optimistic about Australia's future, then week as it can as well thanks, Hailey. We'll leave it at that. Hey Parky, it's we're going alright, I think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well I hope so, mate. I mean if people have had enough, they'll get on there and say it. And I've always learned many many years you can only play some of the people some you and know I've got to be aware of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's too right, Thank you mate, Thanks for the chat.
Speaker 5: Have a good nut.
Speaker 1: Thanks Simon, See you mate. Dave Parkinson true detective. He'll be back in a couple of weeks time. We are taking a poll today. Are you optimistic about Australia's future? The yeses are forty five and the nose eighty will come back in just a Moment's twenty seven and a half minutes to eleven o'clock. Hope you enjoyed that.
Speaker 16: There's been a breakdown in doun Craig this morning the Mitchell northbound of Warwick Roade. That vehicle on the right emergency lane. Make sure you proceed with caution and emergency works are proceeding in waddle up Rockingham Road, a southbound ze to road. The left lane is still closed. I'm Rob Beaver on Perth Traffic Leader six PR.
Speaker 1: Are you optimistic about Australia's future? As we sit here and look at the monitors here in our studio at six PR, the Prime Minister of Australia is addressing the National Press Club and he is outlining his plan for this term of government for his team, the labor team. So we're asking the question are you optimistic? Yes, the forty five and the NOSA eighty. Steve has texted us I'm going to say yes, even though I just paid eleven dollars fifty for a beef and gravy role in q Dale. Thanks Steve. Hard to get a salad role. Having a salad role for under ten bucks these days, isn't it. We will keep you appraised of the sewerage situation in Perth Southern Suburbs. We do have a one of our Channel nine six pur reporters looking into that today, so we'll bring you that in just the moment. Are you feeling pessimistic? There's a report forty seven percent of Australians have addressed this report so that they are pessimistic about the future. And can you turn pessimism around? Can you personally, can you turn it around? Speak to Marnie Lirishman. In just a moment on the program, Richard goodayase.
Speaker 17: Simon, Well, I'm certainly pessimistic about a linter gas. I don't know if other your listeners are aware, but I've just had notification they found seven different ways to increase charges. The supply charge has gone up, the usage charge has gone up. The account service fees have gone up from a daily charge of eight cents to twenty two cents, that's eight to twenty two cents. Overdue payments are going up from eight dollars to twelve dollars. And if you want to pay your bill over the counter at Australia Posting, they're going to charge a three dollars twenty.
Speaker 1: Well we so some of those are just just planned out overheads, fixed overheads.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 17: And the paper well a paper bill that's going to cost you a dollar seventy five. So a lot of years ago they said our pensioners were exempt from a paperless bill charge. But it seems as if that's somehow that's crept in and they're going to charge it out. But the killer there was the account service fees going up. My eight cents to twenty two cents a day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a lot. That is a lot.
Speaker 17: I've never worked out. I've never worked out what the account service fees are. Is that an administration fee?
Speaker 1: I guess does somebody just look.
Speaker 17: At that every day? No, the bill gets spat out by the computer. So I'm going to have lost to know what that account service fee. You'd be interesting for them to say to justify one an account service fee is and why it's gone up from eight cents to twenty two cents a day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Richard, I don't know. And I think you can draw a comparison with Telstra as well, orbeit not a government utility. Telstra' fees have gone up heaps in the last five or six years, absolutely heaps. And again they're fixed overhead, so I can only assume people's wages are going up. Richard, it costs more to provide the service. I don't know. Are you a pinsioner, Richard? Do you receive concessions?
Speaker 19: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I do, Yeah, which is good.
Speaker 17: I mean, I've got no complaint about the government, the fact that the government to help us out with water and things like that, which is good. I don't understand when we get all these platitudes about the recognizing we are all doing it tough, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. How they can justify going from eight cents to twenty two cents today, it's incredulous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, mate, thanks for calling in. You know I've said this before on the show. Particularly under this government this term and previous terms, they are a lot more forgiving of late payments and working out payment plans. Is no doubt about that. I know Liam, my friend and predecessor of Liam, was never happy about it. He thought that was you know, that was held as a debt on government books. I remember him doing the stories about that. But this government is more forgiving on late payments. But the administrator, I can only assume admin fees go up because of the cost of administration goes up. Salaries go up, you know, cross of cost of power, buildings, diesel or you know, everything that goes towards running running an institution has gone up over the years, hasn't it. So talks at Marty Lischman in just a moment. Can you turn pessimism around? Can you retrain yourself? You're nogging your brain to look on the bright side, Tony, Oh so hey, mate.
Speaker 20: I was.
Speaker 8: I was listening to you earlier. Earlier, Carla was talking about President tuch Man when he came here in the nineties, and it reminded me of this story. My mom was actually a MC on the event where he taught where he had this speech, you know, the in nineteen ninety five, and this was the whole this whole tension was going on, and my mom was going through the four dancers, to singers, through drama people that were there, the whole program, and at the end she forgot to announce him. At the end, he was supposed to speed. It was a full speech, and she totally for it, forgots to an ounce it. She ends the night. Everybody's looking around going, well is he gonna speak? Or what are we come here for? So you're reminded me. But he was absolutely correct about the Croatian, this generational thing with grandparents, one hundred percent. When I was in here twelve, I had a World Day speech and I said, our father's mistakes and I was in the war, by the way, so I can't speak about it. I said, our father's mistakes are not ours. And my best friends here in Perth were Serbs. Because I chose that, so I had to break the generational curse.
Speaker 1: You say that though, that ideology and that enmity does get passed from generation to generation a tony one.
Speaker 8: Hundred percent, And he just it does not only go with flaws, he goes with every community around the world, every community. Somebody has to put a stop to it. If I'm an alcoholic, why am I my son should be putting a stop to it? I said, I'm not going to be an alcoholic. But generationally goes and the cycle continues, abuses and hatreds and all these negative aspects of our generation continues. It has to stop somewhere. Yeah, thanks to somebody has to stop. Yeah, I don't know, maybe anecdotal. I just always always remember the Yeah, what happens in the home country probably really shouldn't shouldn't be brought to Australia, but it does through ideology and generational thinking. Some interesting thoughts there from Tony so new Research and mibsos.
Speaker 1: We spoke about this earlier in the program. Across the globe and particularly in Australia, forty seven percent of Australians are profoundly pessimistic, believing that the country is in decline our society is broken? Is that an individual choice? Is it something we absorb from our environment? Is it to do with what we read? Seeing here is about the chats we had with our mates? And can you and pessimism around as an individual? Moneylishman is a psychologist, joins us. Now gooday, Mary, good a, how are you going good? Thank you. I don't want to be too simplistic about this, but what would you say about attempting to move from pessimistic to optimistic?
Speaker 21: Yeah?
Speaker 22: You know, I think it is something that is a good habit to get into. But I also think when we're pessimistic, that's telling us something about our environment, isn't it? And the way the brain is perceiving what's going on in the context of our life. So if we're angry, or we're upset, or we're fearful, all those emotions do lead you to become pessimistic over time. And I think given that we're absorbing, you know, crisis after crisis in our environment, and I guess on the global scale a lot of us are absorbing that, of course we're going to feel pessimistic. But nothing good comes from us being pessimistic all the time.
Speaker 23: Doesn't it.
Speaker 22: So it is worth acknowledging what's going on, but making sure that you put the effort into train your brain to have a bit of more of a balanced perspective in life.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, my lay perspective is is I'm aware that if you do have negative thoughts on an ongoing basis and we do get them, we can have an impact on your health and it releases at least a certain hormones. What about this notion, Mary, that do worrying about things you can't control? So you know, if you watch the TV and you watch what happened was happening in la overnight, you can't really control that, but that can have an impact, I suppose.
Speaker 22: Well, exactly because we're absorbing, aren't we everything that's happening in the world. And yeah, certainly what we hear and what we're watching on the news, we're taking that in and then our brain responds to that. And again, rightly, so your brain is supposed to detect threats in the environment, But worrying does nothing unless you can do something about it. So you're always better kind of saying to yourself, is this something I can problem solve and do something about and in many cases in our own life, we can. We can action things and change things and communicate to people. But then and there's lots of things on a global scale that we can't and it doesn't serve the world, you know, for us to kind of lose hope and yeah, do nothing about it and just sit there worrying and becoming anxious. You're better off actually looking after yourself, practice self care, learning to yeah, be a little bit more optimistic, and then when you're feeling healthier mentally, then that's when you can maybe you know, get on the radio and talk to people about it, or join a lobby group or you know, join a charity, or that's when you can do something about it. But not from a place of pessimism.
Speaker 1: You know, we're getting We're running a poll today. Are you're optimistic about Australia's future? The yeses are fifteen in the noser eighty five. I'm one of the yeses. But I sort of tend to see things through my kid's eyes and that they're going all right, so that makes me happy. It is there. We got any practical tips today, MANI for people at a sort of a granular practical level about how they might be able to retrain themselves or look at things a bit differently.
Speaker 22: Yeah, yeah, well, I actually say to people, just remember that your brain is awesome and it's there protect to protect you. So it's always going to err on the side of course and make you worry about things. And we do have a negativity bias, so we're born to tune in so survival reasons to the negative. So have some self compassion for yourself first and foremost, don't judge yourself harshly if you get a bit grumpy now and again. But I say to people, you have to look for the positives and in many cases in your environment, you have to create the good things in your life. And the more you do that, and even just something like gratitude, you know, acknowledging what is good in your life and what are you truly thankful for, then you can get more of a balanced perspective of life. You know, you can acknowledge the tough stuff that's happening, but you're also going, hey, there's some awesome things going on in my life as well, and there's some really great things that are happening in the world. But you know, often we don't hear that on the news. Do we don't hear the good stuff. We hear the more the threatening things. So you can train your brain to look for the good stuff. And the more you do that, the more the good stuff seems to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, Marnie. Thanks for talking to me and to our listeners today. You have a good day.
Speaker 22: Thanks Simon.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Marty Lishman, psychologist. Yeah, the pessimists have the running at the moment. They are eighty five of those and the yes fifty And look, you know, some very intelligent reason responses coming on people from you know, and looking about Australia's future, about the government, about the cost of living, about housing. Kathy says, go and spend some time in the UK. You'll come back optimistic. We got back Saturday, four days in Watford. Coming back is heaven, says Kathy. Thank you another Cath, This might be the same Kathy. Twenty five dollars for playing sandwich in many places. I presume that's again a Watford reference. Thank you. Dave says I'm going to say, yes, I'm optimistic. It's only getting harder to get a feed of fish, or are you a no, Dave? It's only getting hard. How to get a feed of fish? Driver's license, boat license, trailer reggi boat reggi twenty bucks apart for four hours. Don't get me starting on the shooting. I'm assuming that's firearms. Have a good one Numeral one, Thanks Dave, look after yourself, mate, One double three two is the phone number today, Shane Simon. Are you digging up a professor to help you win your debate? Shane? I, I'm not, mate, It's just the question about is it I guess it's a question about is it a personal thing and is it how your brain functions, or you know, are people genuinely pessimistic about Australia's future. I'm not winning this debate today, Shane. It's Nosar eighty seven. The yes is a fifty one happy to happy to lose a debate, mate. It's a day where we were considering a national report and the fact that Albo is laying out his plans for the future his second term agenda at the National Press Club. Thanks for your coro, Shane. Twelve to eleven. We've got to sewage sewage overflows in somewhere southern suburbs and these are not the ways down south southern suburbs. These are near the river, some of these places places like Applecross. Elon Ardley joins us now from nine News. She has got her eye on all of this today.
Speaker 24: Evon, hey Boe, how are you going?
Speaker 1: What can you tell us today? What's the latest?
Speaker 24: So the latest is that I'm not sure if you've been up to date with what's been going on, but basically a sewer pipe sewer pipe first in beer Wood that was on Friday, and because of that, that's caused kind of mayhem in all of the all of the sewage systems. So they've had to switch off some of the pipes there and that's then caused another pipes are first in Beaconsfield, So that's where I am at the moment. At Bruges lee Rege, we're also here yesterday and basically the oval looks like a giant blud tunnel, but it's made of human waste unfortunately. So the plan was with the Watercore Operations that they wanted to fix this first pipe in Spearwood first and that was supposed to alleviate all of the other issues. We also saw overflows in a whole lot of other areas as well. Overnight and applecross and fremantle things like that. But unfortunately where the pipe burst in spear Wood, it's been quite complicated and they haven't been able to mend it the way they normally would, so they've actually had to fabricate an entire new pipe and they're having trouble installing that. So I imagine we might still see some issues for the next few days until they can completely resolve this. At the moment that they're hoping to fix it by tomorrow, but time to sell.
Speaker 1: So I heard Ollie talk about this yesterday Evon and Bruce Lee Oval. I hope one of our listeners who lives near they've had to move house does and they were putting sand on it. I think, does it smell where you are?
Speaker 24: It doesn't smell at the moment, And to be honest, Bruce Lely, Reserved isn't the stinkiest of places we've visited. It definitely does smell, and I definitely feel for the residence now. But the one that was probably the stinkiest was one of the ponds quite close to the spear would burst, so a number of the ponds in the area had the sewage overflow into those ponds, and really the water therea is just sitting there stagnant, and their houses right you know, right there on the water, really close to it, and it just stinks. By the end of yesterday, even the back of my throat was burning from being out there all day. So I can't even imagine what it must be like living there and trying to sleep at night. You know, some residents were saying they couldn't even sleep at night because the stench was just so horrible.
Speaker 1: What's the water corporation saying today?
Speaker 24: They have owned this. I think they are responding quite well. They have apologized, and they've said, you know, they understand this is a really awful thing for people to be experiencing. They have stressed this is an extremely rare event. These sorts of things don't happen very often, and just unfortunately this has been a perfect out of bad circumstances with you know, where this pipe burst, in the fact it's been so difficult to try and fix it. Yeah, extremely apologetic, but I'm sure that probably doesn't mean much to a lot of the people that are affected.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, well, we'll look for your stories Asavo Yvonne. If anything else you can read myself or Oli about later in the day. Please do let our let our listeners know if you if you hear any new developments. But thanks, I hope you're yeah, I hope the throat's okay, and I hope you get a nicer job sometime.
Speaker 24: Soon, hopefully tomorrow. Thanks Bowie, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yvonne Aardley from nine News. Not really good enough, is it? Yeah? I heard Oli talking to the water court guy yesterday. He said like a really nice guy, Ernest well meaning yeah, so Beaconsfield Spear would And now there have been other leaks in apple Cross, parts of freoh and through those areas. If you if you've seen or heard anything, please let us know one double three A two. Of course a lot of people are at work, kids are at school, but if you're in an area, if you're working from home, or if you're in an area affected by the sewage leaks, please let us know one double three A two. Thanks for listening in I'm Simon Beamont three and a half minutes to eleven now, yeah, thanks listening. Today. We'll try and stay ahead or on top of the issue down in the southern sobers Beaconsfield, Frio, Apple Christ added out on the like Spearwood with the sewage leaks we jolly covered on the show yesterday. Thanks for your correspondence. Graham did a Graham Bateman. It's great the six PR Channel nine on the job reporters. It's good in that Graham smashing in. It will come back after eleven o'clock. A pharmacist would would you be okay with calling your pharmacist a doctor if they've got a master's day, isn't it? Yeah? Thanks listening in. It's seven and a half minutes past eleven o'clock. I'm Simon Beaumont coming up in this next hour. The if you're a pharmcist and you have a master's, you're now could be allowed to call you seal a doctor. Wonder if that impacts on my friend Andrew ed down it blooms the chemist and KG I think she's got a master's. I think so, how do you feel about that calling your pharmacist a doctor because they have a master's. We'll look at that. And there are a number of space agencies in the US that still use Windows ninety five and the floppy disc Remember those they were absolute go tos, weren't they Windows ninety five and the floppy disc We all had those little containers on our desks in our home office full of floppy disks. He's still have stuff on a floppy disc. I'd love to hear from you today. One double three E two is the phone number. We'll talk to Trevor long TREEV is in the US at the moment, but he's going to talk to us about all that. We're going to borrow him from OLLI just for the purposes of today. So you do you have some old computer kit? Do you still use Windows ninety five? Do you still use the floppy discs? One point four four mega bytes? I think to me, weren't they pt four fourth?
Speaker 23: Is there right?
Speaker 1: All of them? That's right? Megabyte? I believe it was megabytes? Yeah, yeah, all right, thank you mate. Well done, Jimmy the genius on our keys today. One double three A eighty two is the is the phone number. We're asking the question are you optimistic or pessimistic about Australia's future? The yes is are optimistic and the nose are pessimistic. Yes, says Veronica, Thank you Veronica, No, says Peter, and Alan rays a really good point about the Water Corporation and home insurance house insurance. Alan says, who's going to pay for all this mess to houses? I heard the water water cork guy I say the other day claim on your house insurance and Alan Ray is a really good point. I know. I certainly wouldn't use my insurance. I'd be using the water corporations. It's their stuff up. That's a very good point, Alan, and Steve from Golden Bay is unhappy about our approach to pessimism and approach to the water corporations stuff ups. Obviously you do not understand the complexit, even underground into connected system. Ignorance is briss bliss until it affects you. It's what effects wrong, Steve. Maintenance can only reduce downtime, not eliminate it. You talk about pessimism and contribute to it by not promoting logic or reality, Steve from Golden Bay. I'm not sure how I'm contributing to pessimism by talking about a sewage leak, Steve, but thanks for your correspondence. Luis says, seems like the water Corporation needs to issue paddles to the good burgers of Beaconsfield and the Southern suburbs. Doesn't sound great, Lou does It does not sound great, Sandy, very pessimistic. Every Australia should be very concerned for the future. We are fast heating down the track of socialism and control. And Sandy's in Waruna. Sandy, if you're in Waruna, you should be happy and not optimistic. I reckon, but thanks for your thoughts. Phil's phone in today. Phil, there you go on.
Speaker 13: Simonte calling up in regards to your previous caller about the gas charges in regards to a sixty percent plus increase to pay your bill at the post office, taking the two dollars, charging the pensioners two dollars for their paper bill and the obscene one hundred and eighty percent plus daily service charge. I think what your listeners want is for you to ring these people up and take them to task and justify it instead of just saying our wages have increased and stuff like that has and what their current profit margin is and what they're predicted profit margin needs to be. Obscene charges.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, we'll do mate. I take your point. What we charges go up because of admin charges go up, That was my point. So you know it costs more and more to run these institutions, but we can probably ask the question, particularly in regards to pensioners. Mate, thank you for your call today, Phil, could they.
Speaker 21: Charles, good morning, Simon. Look, I just wanted to bring attention to your listeners. In April of this year, I was given a parking infringement by a company called PMS. It's Traffic monitoring Services. Now these people are based based in Queensland and New South Wales. Now, as I understand it, no infringement companies or finance enforcement agencies outside of this state can they shoe parking fines? Okay? I looked up the legislation and also I looked up the Consumer Protection Acts. It states there that no agency outside of the original states you are in can they shue traffic infringement finds. So what I did was I wrote them a letter disusing this fine, and I said I'll give you a couple of weeks to respond to me or you would draw this fine. Never heard from them again, Simon, and I believe this has been going on for quite a while. People should question this company when they're issuing these infringement finds and challenge them.
Speaker 1: And Charles, where was the fine was? It on private property. Was it in the shopping center car park?
Speaker 21: It was in the shopping complex sort of like a fitness center and a chemist warehouse and the doctor surgery there somewhere around there. Even if these people hired these people outside, it is illegal.
Speaker 14: They have to hire.
Speaker 21: People from within the state to monitor the fine infringement.
Speaker 1: So you haven't heard it back and you haven't had to pay the fine. How much was the fine?
Speaker 21: Seventy seven dollars?
Speaker 1: All right, so you've overstayed and you haven't heard back, so you're going to pay the fine.
Speaker 21: No, never heard from them again? Never? Yeah, okay, So I suggest any listeners who are listening to your program, the company is TMS Traffic Monitoring Services. They have a base. They are based in Queensland and New South Wales only not in Western Australia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, well I'll tell you what Charles. Thank you mate, thanks for letting us know. I appreciate the call. We'll bring our man Andrew Marouchick right now, sorry, Nick marroucheck right now and see what Nick says, because that may will be the case. You can't be issued to find from a company that is not domiciled in w a can I Scotty.
Speaker 11: Simon, how are you mate?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 25: Thank you, that's good, that's good. Very optimistic yep, to.
Speaker 26: Send a texture.
Speaker 12: But the guys that wrong me up.
Speaker 26: They want when you hear my accent.
Speaker 12: On on the radio.
Speaker 26: I don't know if you can still hear it.
Speaker 17: Be here for forty years.
Speaker 1: No, it's still there, mate.
Speaker 26: Yeah yeah, tell my cousins that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So they're so you're optimistic because of where you've come from and what you're seeing here and enjoy is that right?
Speaker 17: Absolutely?
Speaker 26: Mat, It's a great life over here. I've been back to Scotland a few times and it's just beautiful place.
Speaker 8: But just so sad.
Speaker 27: It's just just you, mate.
Speaker 26: Are still doing the same thing they were doing forty years ago. They just they go to the shops and they buy seven meals so they've got a meal every night.
Speaker 1: And oh mate, yeah yeah, that's not about point. The fresh produce and the food's pretty good over here, isn't it. Mate. That's yeah.
Speaker 26: I mean I don't get into the side of things, but you know, just this place as a wholes no better place, mate.
Speaker 1: Thanks mate, Thanks for your call. Thanks Scotty. Scotty from Scottland from Scotland fourteen parcel. Then we might need to take a break, Sean, and we'll come back. We'll talk to Andrew from the he's the president of the w A branch of the Pharmacy Guild of Australia. Up against the clock a little bit here and you stay there, mate, get to you in just a moment. If you are a pharmacist with a master's degree, there's a push out of Charles Darwin University that you get called a doctor. Stay listening. We all need a good pharmacist in our life. It's part of your healthcare, your personal and your family healthcare system. You need a doctor if you're obviously, if you're seriously ill or injuredced to go to a hospital or an ED or whatever. But a good farmacst in your life, pharmacist in your life is essential. I reckon. Andrew naw is the president of the w A branch the Pharmacy Guild of Australia. Diet I Andrew, okay, Simon, how's it going going very very well now? Andrew Charles Dale UNI says it's leading in a nation. Masters of pharmacy graduates can we called a doctor? Can we can we do that over here? Are you happy to do that?
Speaker 5: Yees.
Speaker 25: So the announcement was made by the Federal government last November.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 25: So, based on the Australian Qualifications Framework, any university delivering a Level nine master's degree in pharmacy, all their graduates will be able will be able to use the title of doctor.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, What does that mean for you? For Andrew aired.
Speaker 5: For me?
Speaker 25: Because I haven't done that yet. You need to do that or would have to do that, but we'll have to fill in the gap in the degree in the master's degree place. I've only got a bachelor's degree, so I'd have to do the level nine master's course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and do you need that? Does the masters need to come out of Charles Darwin? Could you get a master's here in w A.
Speaker 25: Not at this very second, but all all the universities are working with the AQF as to what are the requirements around that degree yep, so that they can actually offer that course.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay, So what do you I mean pharmacists, You know, that's a that's a tough qualification. I know talking to you and Andrew and other pharmacists, you do do refresher courses and update and upgrade your professional calls as you go. Do you think farmacists will take this up?
Speaker 25: Yeah, so the demand is actually hard to tell, but generally, the anecdotal feed that we've had from a lot of people is that they're really excited by this. It's finally the recognition that I think farms have actually well, I think they're finally getting the recognition that they deserve for the place that they hold within the broader healthcare framework.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, yeah, as you know, I've long been a supporter, and that's it's important to have a good pharmacist in your life, is it your small business owners as well as well as been you know, as well as having the Quarrells and perhaps running a little team of people and all of that. Will it come down to an individual decision, do you think, Andrew?
Speaker 27: So?
Speaker 25: I think to the future, the base degree will basically have a doctorate title attached for so, I think the base degree will end up being a Level nine Masters. But there will obviously be a lot of people like myself who do need to do the let's say that the retrofitting based on their base degree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, completely understand, Andrew. Thank you for having a chat to us today. Good on, thanks you time. Thanks Simon good Andrew Niaw the president of the w A branch of the Pharmacy Guild of Australia. Whatever can listeners, there will be there will be pharmacists who do have a master's and they can be called because their little name on there. Now they have those little lanyard, the little plat what do they call badges, They sorry have those badges on the uniforms. Have a doctor and the might have doctor on the on their title on the on the thing on the wall, pharmacist in residence. You know when you go to different pharmacies and they have a different person in each day. They could be a doctor. Some people get become honorary doctors, don't they. I think I believe Andrew Forrest. I believe Twiggy has a qualification. He's a doctor. Karl Khushinishki has one. I think Richard Wally is a doctor and that's I think that's an academic qualification. God Richard, if you're listening, Kathy Freeman, I think has A is a doctor. I'm not sure if that's honorary or that's academic. Happy to hear from you today twenty two minutes past eleven, Chris says, I know people who are certified engineers. They don't deserve to be called engineers. Why would I call a pharmacist a doctor, Chris, I don't know. I mean the legislation has changed. The federal legislation has changed, mate, so I'd love to hear from it. Glenn says, a pressure knuckling the sewer pipe caused an explosive backflow in our former house. It completely flooded with human waste in and out up to our ankles. That's JACKI Glenn. That happened was also our first home open. We were selling. Watercourt pulled us up in the Broadwater Hotel, so obviously this is in Bustleton replaced all doors, floor coverings, painted the walls, and steam cleaned the house. When we sold the following month, someone comented that our front and back dlowns are extremely green and the fittings all look new. They wanted to know what fertilizer I use. I just smiled, says Glenn. Thank you, Glenn, appreciate that one double one double three eight two mentioned this before and ask the question do you still in your computing, your IT kit, your IT ecosystem. Do you still use floppy disks and or Windows ninety five? There are institutions in the States aviations that still use old kit. Trevor Long joins us. We borrowed him from OLI just for the date. Hi, trev good mate. How you doing going? Very well? Where are you?
Speaker 28: I'm in Cupertino, California, at Apple's headquarters for event this week.
Speaker 1: Very nice? Well, I won't still OLI stun because, no doubt he want to chat to you about that. But do you still wreck? Do you think? Do you see people still using floppy disk?
Speaker 28: Trev No, you don't because it's always behind the scenes. So it's either a nerd like me who has a computer from the old days that he wants to play some game that's literally only for that computer and only on that floppy disc. Or it's an institution an organization with a system that is so ingrained in what they do that it's simply never been replicated in modern systems, and or the cost to move on to a modern system would be phenomenal and never made it past any business case, And.
Speaker 1: That would be the same as Windows ninety five.
Speaker 28: Would it spot on you know the thing about Windows ninety five, right, people will go and look. Windows ten I think goes out of support at the end of this year, which means that Microsoft won't support it as an operating system, and even after that, at some point it'll be to the point where they won't even make security updates. But here's the thing about Windows ninety five. Even though it was an online operating system. The systems that specifically here the FAA are using for air traffic control, they're not on the Internet. They're just computers. They just needed computers that could do a task, that task being you know, print out on a dot matrix printer a flight plan or a particular plane. They're not connected and so they're actually quite safe and therefore secure. So the cost of replacing a system like that would be enormous, and you can imagine that managers at different levels over many decades have gone, Nah, we're not spending that billions of dollars, and as a consequence, we're left with cys that are absolutely out of date and hard to now maintain and fix.
Speaker 1: I know my dad who use a lot of photo programs, trev and he was always frustrated that he just couldn't you know, we just couldn't use the same one year after year after year. So his generation wanted a computer to work in the same way forever.
Speaker 28: And with no change. Like, I get calls so often from people, whether it's on Oli show, on my podcast wherever, that they're frustrated by the way something changed. You know, software changes every year now and that like that's what Apple's doing this week. It's people don't like change. They don't love change. And when you've got processes that especially running aviation, running air traffic control, you don't want to have to educate every single person on a change in the way the software works essentially overnight. So stick with something that works. And that's why people do hold onto their Windows computers. There will be people listening who have Windows ten and have no desire upgrade because they don't want the fancy differences that come with Windows eleven. They're quite happy with what they've got. You just got to know what risks you're exposing yourself to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as long as they can play solitaire. Hey Trevan, thanks to the chat. What are you on with Oli next?
Speaker 8: I should be on Thursday afternoon?
Speaker 1: All right? Do you like him?
Speaker 28: He's a goodbye imean. I'll give him that, all right, Okay, damned by fat check you know my address?
Speaker 1: Hit, damn by faint praise. Hey, good to talk to you, mate. I'm sure you'll bring Olie's listeners up to date with Cooper, Tino and all everything there or thanks trev See you mate, Trevor Long. So yeah, I'd love to hear from you. Do you is that you do? You hang on to your old computer, your old kits, your old operating systems because it works for you. You might be running solitaire and you know an email system. I love to hear from you. One double three eight eie two Bigton Travel we'll join us very short and they've got a really nice offer too, a really really nice off. We've got to be talking European river cruising and stay listening. BICT and Travel have an offer for you. Joe will join us from APT, Dave will join us from bign Travel. You can save, yeah, a couple hundred bucks per person if your book with the next week. I'll tell you more about that in just a sec. Twenty seven minutes past eleven, we are running a poll today. Are you optimistic about Australia's future. The nose are one hundred, so let's raise the bat on that one well done, century made and the yeses are fifty six. People are weighing in in great number on all this. On double three eight Eddy two, Dean says dentists are able to call themselves doctors, so why shouldn't pharmacists so they complete enough academic courses, says DJ. Thank you one, double three eight Eddy two. This one here on the parking fines, could they? Chris? A few years ago on the Morning Show, Tom percy KC provided listeners with a legal response with regards parking fines. He stated under the local government that only finds issued by local government authority legitimate has to be worth replaying the interview with Tom. Thank you, Chris, appreciate that. Hello Tom, if you're listening in back in a moment getting the Getting the band back together for Bigton Travel Dave Armstrong joins us from Bigdon Traveler product and AMAMP Technology Coordinator. Hello David, Heo, Hello you good and Joe ellist Joe, I haven't seen you for years and it's lovely to see you. Last time I saw you was an expo down at the harbor I think, and at.
Speaker 29: The port in Fremantle for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, still working in the in the caper, I see.
Speaker 29: Still working, still loving it absolutely all right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really nice to see you. Joe's from APT State Sales for WA, South Australia and the NT. We've got a nice little offer for our listeners today. We're going to talk river cruising today, aren't we.
Speaker 29: We are. We've got some beautiful news ships that have just launched in Europe, so we thought we'd to allow our listeners about that and also offer an exclusive discount with bict and Travel as well for the next week for six PR listeners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, we'll tell us about that first start. Then let's not bury the lead. What do we got So.
Speaker 30: We are any APT Booking, Travel APT and Travel buble. We're given two hundred and fifty dollars off any booking at the moment perposon.
Speaker 1: Yes, well that's good.
Speaker 30: Yes, that's a really good discount at the moment too. And that's on top of any other offer that they're currently offering to.
Speaker 1: All Right, so if you book within this week, so cruises of seven days or longer mentioned six PR, and you speak to when you speak to Dave or anybody down at Bigton or any of the CCT consultants, turn fifty dollars off per person and Bigton Travel and claimont Cruse and Travel are of course the same crew, right.
Speaker 30: That's right. Yeah, So we a couple of years now we've been one company, so yeah, we're doing really well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, Joe, when was your last trip?
Speaker 29: About four months ago to beautiful Vietnam and Cambodia, which was absolutely stunning. We did the Mekon Cruise on one of the new ships with only about eighty eight guests, so it was gorgeous see the big cities of Saigon. The direct flight was amazing as well, going from Perth stright into Hope him In and then doing the river cruise ending up in seam Reap which is absolutely fabulous, and then flying out back sailing back to Perth, back to work and back to reality.
Speaker 1: How long, Joe was that We actually.
Speaker 29: Did a seven night river crew. We did a few nights also in Hoyan, which is just a beautiful, beautiful city in central Vietnam, and also three nights in cm Reap as well.
Speaker 1: Really popular Vietnam. My kids have been and my mates go once every couple of years. That's really boomy, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 30: It's one of the biggest popular most places in Asia at the moment, especially now we've got two airlines find there directly.
Speaker 1: Why's that day? So why is Vietnam so big?
Speaker 30: I don't know, It's just I think someone people want new, they want different from Bali, all things like that. So it and it's got great culture, great food, history, It's got everything. Great beaches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what vessel on the Mekong were you on, Joe.
Speaker 29: We're on the Mekong Serenity, which is one of the new APT ships. Absolutely gorgeous, fabulous food, so kind of forget the diets. It had that beautiful fusion of Asian and Western sort of cuisine. All the drinks, all the cocktails included a beautiful pool on the sun deck as well. But I love the fact we owned to the little villages and saw that sort of the country way of life in Cambodi especially and seeing how those people live, and it was just a great cultural experience for us, as well as the cities of Vietnam as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, just a reminder, you can say two hundred fift dollars per person if you bought Big t and Travel and Clamont Cruise and Travel CECT book within the week and it's tours or cruise of seven days or longer. And the great thing about you, guys, and we mentioned this time and time again, it's the it's the experience. It's customizing things for people. It's just a one stop shop for everything you need, your visas, working out little variations on your travel plans exactly.
Speaker 30: Yeah, so we know Australians don't ever just go for a seven day trip, so we can customize everything from hotels to car hire, trains everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, yeah, no worries, Well done, you've always done it so well. Big can travel as personally and travel agency and as I said, customize luxury travel and cruise holidays. So the team down there will always look after you. Twenty five years yeah, twenty six I think, yeah, how long have you work therefore?
Speaker 30: Coming up to fourteen years now?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: A young man first?
Speaker 31: I do it?
Speaker 30: Yeah, can you see me? Agent?
Speaker 1: Not really? I reckon you're going okay, So you Joe, if you like to ring in, you can one double three eight two talk to me about the new APT vessels Joe and what's on offer in Europe at the moment.
Speaker 29: Yeah, we're excited. We actually launched the Salara, which is basically bring a new dawn for river cruising into the Australian marketplace on the twenty fifth of April, and what we actually did was reimagined how river cruising should be for the Australian passengers. So we really change it up because quite often most of our passengers do the amps Pest and they do basically this fantastic fifteen night cruise, but they do forty one meals on board the ship. Quite often the river cruise companies, as Dave said, you know, we actually find that people won't from Australia to a seven night cruise. We do the fifteen day so you have so many meals on board. We find that it's important to have choice, and most of the river cruise companies offer two or three restaurants. We've actual You're born in six as well as you know, less guests as well, sixty staff, one hundred and fifty four guests on board and our new restaurant which is Fabulus. I think you need to go on board, Simon, but it's called the groooner bar and it's actually a world first as well, and that's internationally. And what it is is actually a bar on hydraulic lifts that goes to the sun deck. So what happens is your clients go on board, they have a beautiful maybe cocktail, enjoy the sunset over the you know, the Rhyan River, and then go on basically back to the Gruner Bar and have three hundred and sixty good views of the beautiful waterlands and all of the attractions around Europe and enjoy fantastic meal as well with their fellow guests. So six different restaurants. On top of that, we've also got in room dining as well as standard E bike's on board spas. We've got the gymnasium, and we've got all of the entertainment. We've got fitness classes, the whole lot for the Australian guests. So we're really excited about the new ships.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well E Bikes as well. That's the voice of Joe Ellie's folks. She's from ap T, state sales manager for US South Australian Inte. And if you want to call the guys, you can one double three eight to eighty two marx Is a few years ago. But I did a cruise from I'm gonna mispronounce this, I reckon Joe cem reaped a ho Chi minh you about you?
Speaker 32: Yes?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, yeah, incredibly popular.
Speaker 30: Yeah it is. It's one of the really popular river cruisers. The absolutely stunning because you get to see a bit of everything absolute and like with apt everything's included so you don't have to You've got no bill at the end of the day of the yeah, and you get to say stunning highlights and history and all sorts.
Speaker 1: Dave and Joe. When we first started doing Big Can Travel segments on this show years and years ago, it was about packing once and unpacking once, just having to do it once and that that's what people love. But also this this notion of hopping off when you wanted to going to have a stroll on Terror Firm or if you want a tour, staying on the vessel. That's that's still very much an Australian thing to do, isn't it that choice? Day by day?
Speaker 30: Yeah, definitely, Like there's nothing stopping you, so like you can do all the tools that are include, or you can wander around the town or get on the e bikes yourself if you want to go. If the ship's there later at night, go have dinner off the ship as well. So's there's plenty of flexibility to be able to do anything you want.
Speaker 1: Really like the sound that bar Joe in the Garunava how good one level three eight eighty two a river cruise with apt what's this point of difference, Joe, I think.
Speaker 29: The fact that we are an Australian company. We actually got Hicica Gruthri, which is based out of the East Coast to design the ships, so it's actually designed for the Australian passenger and that's what we do for all of our products, whereas a lot of the companies now internationally based so they're really focus on other tastes. But I find traveling with like minded individuals is really good. It's nice to catch up with people as well, and I just find it's just a it's a beautiful product, but it's also got that Australian relaxed ease on board as well, the fact that we're fully inclusive the flat, we don't charge tipping. Everyone hates tipping. We don't know how to do it in our culture. So it's like we don't do that, we make it a really beautiful experience, be able to be have a great experience. I guess there a platform to do as much as they want to do, as Dave said, or as little as they want as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so really easy, well explained. If like's ring and you can one double three eight E two, have a chat to Joe Elis from APT or Dave Armstrong from Victim Travel and just you remind he can save two hundred and fifty dollars per person for a bigden or CCT travel. It's got to be a seven day or longer tour or cruise. Just mentioned six pr when you ring in and two hundred and fifty dollars a head can be taken off the bill. So that's the idea of the e bikes is use them on land. Yeah, so like I race around the ship on them, No.
Speaker 30: They've got the dim for that. But yeah, you can take them around that. They give you a little guides or give you maps on every town that you're in and basically you can take off or you can do your own thing and follow the guide and stop at a pub if you wanted to, or right along the vineyards as well, Like, that's a few obstions that you can do.
Speaker 29: I think there's a stretch about thirty k's between Milk and Durnstein which has got heaps of wineries between and some guests I'm going to grab an e bike and off they go, and we have a guide at the back. Because people do stop at the breweries, they stop at the wineries, AND's like we've got to keep going to meet the ship at the other end. They really enjoy it too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how good is that? It's great if the vessel keeps going and you catch up with it.
Speaker 29: Correct. They give us away from the top deck. Generally the people that say I'm going to stay on board and enjoy lunch, and we often just cruise around and find a brewery and have maybe a kranski and a beer or whatever, and then continue on that journey.
Speaker 1: Fantastic if you want to find in any of your travel questions anything you like folks one, double three, add two, hab a chat Todave. He's very very user friendly and helpful, as is Joe. Anything you like, anything, any tour itinery you may be considering around the world. Will come back. We'll talk more with a cruising with Joe and Dave in just a moment a big Can Travel segment today if you'd like to speak to Joe Ellie's the veteran of APT and of the WA travel industry. And Dave Armstrong's here from Victim as well. Who's he's not a veteran, He's a stalt, that's what he is. It one level three, add two, save two and fifty bucks per person for Bigon Travel and Claimont Cruise and Travel. So it needs to be a tour of cruise of seven days all long. I just mentioned six bur and you ring bigten or CCT to the consultant and.
Speaker 30: Ready and waiting for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how good to fifty off? Hien, how are you?
Speaker 4: I'm well, thanks Simon, I'm John Dave listen. I've got a question. I've been looking at the river cruisers in Europe roughly around Christmas time, possibly around Christmas time for the markets.
Speaker 13: How do these river.
Speaker 4: Cruisers accommodate somebody with a mobility issue that uses a four will walker because some of the itineraries have got a lot of walking tours or guides or bits and purses in them, So how does that shape up? And also the accommodation on the.
Speaker 29: Boat for sure, great question.
Speaker 20: Ian.
Speaker 29: We certainly get quite a few clients who have mobility issues, and what we find that the challenges is, I think mainly in the tw because it is a lot of the towns are absolutely beautiful, but they couplestone streets. So what we often do is speak to the guest beforehand, make sure that it is what they can physically manage, as well as us have the cruise director on board, have a conversation with the group as well of a couple and really give them an understanding of what's ahead and if they want to maybe stay on board, if they want to just go to somewhere close and do some people watching watch the world go by, or if they want to actually go on the tour if it is a long distance. Quite often we do have a coach and we'll be able to put that four wheeler underneath the coach to make things easier, but the cobblestones can be quite challenging for any sort of mobility aid. The other thing that we have to stress as well is the actual porta throw do provide the ramps as well, so we can't guarantee we always request a wheelchair ramp, but they won't guarantee they'll provide it. So that's a challenge across all river cruising unfortunately. But it's as long as you can walk that game plank. That's probably the most important thing you've got to remember. But if you want to have a chat with me at Bigton Travel, you're welcome to call and we can discuss it more and more details.
Speaker 8: Okay, then, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: You've asked my question.
Speaker 1: Jeez, thank you, Thanks you, Corleen, thank you. Good lucky day, Allen. Good ay, how are you yeah going well mate?
Speaker 20: Yeah, Look, my query is the premium for single travelers. What's been done, particularly for cruising to provide more access for single people traveling without the sort of single premium. I've just recently moved into a lifestyle village and just talking to the other residents, the number of people that would travel more or would like to travel, but the single premium is what kills them. It just seems that they cutting out a lot of potential travelers.
Speaker 29: Absolutely. I think we hear that feedback quite a bit, Ellen, So thank you, thank you for calling. We do have a single Traveler club which quite often we do have some great single deals available, so I'd recommend probably giving Bigden Traveler call that can sign you up to the newsletter. Quite often these maybe you know, three, four, five months in advance, but at least they are a really good deal and quite often have no single supplement attached to those. So there is definitely some great offers. There's probably just accessing them and having a chat to bigd and Travel or Claimant Cruise and Travel to make sure you're on that list.
Speaker 30: Also on larger cruise ships on the more the ocean ships that are now building dedicated single cabins, even on some river ships now they're starting to pop up, so they're a bit of a smaller cabin but perfect for one person and they don't really attract any kind of surcharge on the middle.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember it's changing a few years ago. Didn't that there's a big move towards single travel. Ye, definitely, and maybe sign up for one of the one of the clubs what's according in Joe.
Speaker 29: Are the Solo Traveler Club.
Speaker 1: Solo Travel Club. Have a look at that.
Speaker 21: OL.
Speaker 1: Good to hear from you, mate, Thank you hi Brad. How are you Brad? We got you?
Speaker 21: Hey?
Speaker 18: J Bowie, how are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Brad, where are you today? What are you driving? Where are you going?
Speaker 18: Full of my road train on my Marvel road.
Speaker 1: Well, the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 18: That's the story of Okay, that's middle yet, go on.
Speaker 33: Okay, So.
Speaker 18: Your guests you have in there looking at traveling the Meat Kong on a river cruise just after what time of year? And probably you know which are the lines to look for and the ones to steer away from.
Speaker 8: Well, the one is a lot of experience.
Speaker 18: Well, yeah, I assume that, sorry, and.
Speaker 1: I can I can go out. I can vouch for Brad's character and personnality. He'd be he'd be good.
Speaker 29: Traveler, absolutely, Brad. I think there's a couple of choices if if you get a chance when you're when you're one of the truck stops, have a look on the other a p touring dot com dot au or travel Marvel dot com dot au. And they don't have all these really great deals, especially with we're just talking in the break actually about Vietnam and Cambodian how much great value it is. The accommodation is incredible and it's really well priced. So if you look at a product like travel marb which is sort of three and a half to four star. You're going to get excellent service, really really good value as well. So look at both brands. Bicton have got the discount on top of the market office that we've got on there and they can quote it up for you. But I'd probably look at sort of going properly between that November December, January, February March. I'm not sure if you'd say the same thing.
Speaker 30: Would probably say the same thing, yeah, because after that you start get the wet season come through and you get really humid and sticky and absolutely perfect time to travel.
Speaker 1: How's that, Brad?
Speaker 18: Yeah, March is out on the year. We go every year in March we go somewhere for our anniversary, so that's perfect.
Speaker 29: Let us know it's your anniversary as well. Make sure we make a bit of a fuss for you as well. On the day.
Speaker 18: You'll save my wife, would you make it fast anyway? She's amazing.
Speaker 1: I love it a little something for everyone from me today. Hey mate, drive carefully, Brad Hay, Yeah, well take care. So Brad's on the Marble Bar Road, which for years and years was an unsealed road and it's now sealed, So that's I think marble bars three hundred caves from human and another gone's two cased for humans, so that is really right in the middle of the pilbro there. There's there's some are bodies around, but yeah, bra Brad's one of our listeners. And once once he's on your list, Joe, you'll never get rid of it.
Speaker 29: You'll be great ambassador in the outback.
Speaker 1: He'll be an ambassador two and fifty brothers per person for Bigton Travel and claimont Cruz for travel book within the week, so within that, you know, over the next seven days needs to be a seven day cruise or longer. You're a big rap for this meek On thing, having done it four months ago, aren't you.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 28: Love it.
Speaker 29: I've actually done it a couple of times. I loved it so much I said to my partner we've got to go back and do it out of work. So he loved it, and then we did the hoy Ron stop as well. But I just love the people. I think they're just so welcoming right product, it's got fantastic food and great service and an amazing price as well, so it's really got everything and it's so handy from birth.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Dave Armstrong's with us as well. That's the voice of Joe Ellis. You can hear from apt Dave. Anything that's taking off at the moment that you know, we've talked about Vietnam, but anything else that's flying along.
Speaker 30: Japan is always a big one at the moment because we're coming up to probably starting of the ski season. Kind of bookings. Canada's going absolutely nice, yeah, which is really surprising. Yeah, and of course Europe is always popular, but more we've seen more Scandinavia and things like that, which is great. So in Iceland and that kind of place as well.
Speaker 1: So I know it's Japan taking off ten or fifteen years ago, and it is people skiing, isn't it. So some of my Surfy mates during the winter go ahead up there too.
Speaker 30: There's more Australians and Japanese. I'm pretty sure in some of the locations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hadn't listened to the station yesterday. She might have run Milsey. I think she had a big birthday coming up. She was taking the whole family to Japan. So what are people doing in Canada? They're skiing as well.
Speaker 30: No more like tours like especially like with jos Has apt has great tours through there, but Rocky Mountain now cruising through the inside passage. Oh yeah, all that kind of thing as well. So yeah, yeah, lots of that. But skin is well, we don't do so much skin in Canada as much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, and Joe anything that's as well. It took me on we talked this new vessel that you have, the Selara, but the apt Or Stars coming within the month as well, isn't it?
Speaker 29: Absolutely so? The sister ship of the Solara. So we're going to have obviously the same situation with a six different experience as far as dining. Only one hundred and fifty four guests, so we're gonna have two beautiful new ships and you're really setting a new standard for the cruising market in Europe for sure. We've had actually a lot of inquiry for New Zealand talking about skiing and they've just had a huge amount of snow, so I hopefully have a really great ski season in New Zealand. But we've certainly just released a few more products as well into New Zealand. There's some great tours as well with rail and touring, so.
Speaker 1: The Solara was launched on twenty fifth of April, so you know, a month or a month and a bit ago, and the stars saw the yes. So both of these and where are people mainly flying? Two?
Speaker 29: They tend to go Amsterdam to Budapest and they add on a Paris and Prague stop. Quite often we have found people, as Dave said, are doing you know, three four weeks in Europe. So they may combine may be a magnificent Europe cruise with Bordapest with maybe Croatia Cruise which is absolutely stunning beautiful to swim through there and enjoy, or just do a little bit more like a villa stay, those sort of things. So you can really combine Bichten and La Cruz and Travel who really specialized in putting that together making it really seamless.
Speaker 1: But always been the way, isn't it to phone in it and use the expertise. If what's the best number to ring victim Dave.
Speaker 30: Zero eight nine double three nine zero two seven seven.
Speaker 1: All right, and what's the best number to ring and not get Byron?
Speaker 30: That one's the recepttions number, and don't ask for him.
Speaker 1: Hello Byron. If it hasn't really changed either has he Joe Barron.
Speaker 29: He's a Treasures.
Speaker 1: Thoughts of nature, no doubt. Joe. Really nice to see you. Thank you for coming in. I'm glad you're up and about still. Joe is the yet state sales manager for APT in w A, South Australia and the Northern Territory. And Dave Strong, our friend from Victim Travel. You've just been on a Kimberly cruise, haven't you?
Speaker 30: Days through the Kimberly Quest, which was absolutely amazing. Yeah, sixteen other people.
Speaker 1: I've been on that to it. That isn't it incredible? Incredible bit of kid, isn't it.
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 30: Getting see places like I'll never see like and fishing and getting landing the helicopter on top of the boat, and.
Speaker 1: The staff to staff knows so much about about you know that destination Dad.
Speaker 30: If you've cut on lending them, they will talk for hours and hours and hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 30: The skipper is always telling them off to get back on the boat so we can move on.
Speaker 1: Good food too, the food is great. Yeah, yeah, mate, Nice to see you both, Joe, don't Joe, don't be a stranger. I hope to see you again sometime soon. Let's not make it another ten years before we catch up. Let's see. Thanks Joe, good on you and Dave. Thank you mate, Thank you giving all a cuddle down there at Bigdim Travel. Bigden Travel and Clermont Cruise and Travel are the same company. Folks. Give him a ring. I'll repeat that deal one more time. Save two fifty dollars per person for Bicdim Travel and CCT book within the week for your tour. Your cruise needs to be seven days or longer and mentioned six pr if you ring the guys down there. Thanks to you both. Thanks for coming in, welcome you see jokes. See Dave back in a sec. Thanks Jimmy. If you want to phone in today Cam one double three eight eighty two. Are you optimistic about Australia's future? The yes is fifty nine nine one of those and the nose for one hundred and two. Thanks for your thoughts, Thanks for your comments. Some of your feedback is political in nature, something's about lifestyle. Some of you are worried about the future of housing for your kids, crosses of living, et cetera. Midday Now you get everyone, Thanks for listening. H Here until one o'clock today, Oliver Peterson will take over the chair and the microphone after one o'clock today with Perth Live one till five and then of course Skeeeks from five o'clock with Wide World of Sport for three hours there, sorry, two hours there? Yes or no? Are you optimistic about Australia's future? The yes are fifty nine that knows or one hundred and two. The Prime Minister has spoken at the National Press Club of Australia today. Have a little bit of correspondence coming in from our listeners on this this one here, Yes from me from Ben and baldivis get a mate and optimistic about Australia's future. Yes, it's the land of milk and honey, says Ben, and David says how could you be optimistic with Albo and his team of goons? David from Maylands and David also asked do you really think Tom Percy KC Will be listening in? Well, he does, Dave, and we often get text messages from him, often earlier before he goes to court. But I know that Tom does listen in one double three A eighty two is the number. Thanks for your step in, Dart says, yes, thanks Steve, cheers mate. It is the fiftieth year of the release of the movie Jaws coming up later this month. So if you're of my age, you remember probably reading the book at school, Peter Bentley's book Jaws, which had a couple of subplots and a bit of romance and a bit of this and that and the other in it, a couple of adult themes. And then the movie came out and it was huge, wasn't it? And it changed the way a lot of us, those of us who are ocean going at the time, and still changed the way we thought about sharks. But it's probably one of those movies that scarred, could scar or did scar people for life. Certainly scarred me. It was a horror movie ultimately, and the shark was a monster. So we're asking the question today movies that have scarred you for life? Here's some of what we heard in Jaws.
Speaker 5: You've had a need a pick a page.
Speaker 1: So that was the first time they saw the giant fingo pass I think it was thirty feet whatever it was, it's that ten meter shark. And then of course the famous William score, the theme song Chase that became the sound of the Shark, didn't it. That was the Noise of the Shark and has been for fifty years. I reckon. So movies that may have scarred you for life? One double three ad two Love to hear from you Today. You may win Caller of the Day, which is a couple of tickets to go to State of Origin next week to see Queensland play New South Wales. Movies that have scarred you for life, certainly for me at my age, I saw it at the movies. I think I was seventy five, so it was probably thirteen going on fourteen when I saw it, pretty sure. I saw it with my mate Steve, Steve Adams. We caught the bus and the train up to the city, watched it it Citney Center, I think the one that was in the Hay Street. More movies that have scarred you for life? Gade Chantell, Hey, Boie, how's it going good? Thanks?
Speaker 22: I have to say bad boy Bobby. Yes, horrible, horrible, Yeah, absolutely horrible.
Speaker 1: Did you see it on d v D video streaming?
Speaker 7: No dB, I think streaming?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what did you go and do that to yourself? For Yeah, you've listened to this show before. We always talk about it. Yeah, I'm putting I'm putting you down as a yes in the optimism colum, aren't I.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, definitely, definitely, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: You're an optimist. Chantelle. Hey, Yeah, good to hear from you.
Speaker 20: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Movies that scarred you, yea, Chantelle. Bad boy Bubby saw that at the movies. I saw that at the movies with the guy the big head with partlet, and that was what did they say? What Steve Steve Wizard said, just another quiet day Madelaide, bad boy, Bobby. Don't see it Jaws, see it, don't see you should see Jaws. Jaws is a Steven Spielberg field masterful bit of storytelling. And my kids aren't scared by Jaws, but I was. You know, I overlooked the mechanical and special effects shortcomings. It's a bloody scary film. Can I justin good good movies that scarred you for life?
Speaker 8: Correct the phobia? Good time still.
Speaker 30: Oh it's a PG movie.
Speaker 34: But I don't know how we got through it in the cinema.
Speaker 5: I was watching it in the street cinemas. Then.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I was laying vertical and in the steep.
Speaker 18: With my head over live.
Speaker 8: My mate stole my hat and threw it up into the crowd and then they threw it back and I screamed.
Speaker 12: Like a girl and yeahs terrified.
Speaker 1: How are were you? Twenty seven? Yeah? Okay, so young?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, cheers mate. Thanks just a arachlophobia PG obviously about the fear of spiders. Movies that are scared you for scarred, scared and scarred you for life?
Speaker 8: Could I?
Speaker 1: Christy?
Speaker 28: Hi?
Speaker 35: How are you?
Speaker 19: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Good? Thanks?
Speaker 15: Ku Jo?
Speaker 7: My mum used to bang the side of the car when those kids at the back seat.
Speaker 34: And ye, Kujo is coming and we were petrified.
Speaker 1: Your mom used to do what bang the stide?
Speaker 12: She would be in the back seat of the car and she would put her hand out the window and brag on the side of the car and drew Joe's coming and we would.
Speaker 25: Be absolutely screaming the car down.
Speaker 1: Your mom did, Yes, Christy, that's funny, Thanks Christy. Q Joe a Stephen King novel, wasn't it there? It is about it. I don't know what sort of dog. Was it? A bull Terrier or a Saint Bernard? Do you remember Jimmy st Bernard. It's a sat Bernard, that's right. Yeah, normally who rescue people? The little little tubs of whiskey. Thanks, that's funny movies that scarred you for life. Get a Alan, how a.
Speaker 18: Good mine?
Speaker 12: Good appening are we?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 12: You have to be Clockwork Orange and told my hearty staying here and think singing in the rain.
Speaker 5: They get their visions of the going.
Speaker 12: Left and right, and I think if you know the scene, you'll know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very really violent, wasn't it very violent?
Speaker 12: Then? Also with umbrellas and that sort of thing and sort of the old white sort of safety suits. Then you've got to bear it now sort of. It gives me a bit of a sheer rough the spy.
Speaker 1: Did you see Jaws out at the time?
Speaker 30: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I did, mate, Yes I did. I actually was working out a drive and cinema at the time and when it was when we were showing it, and yeah, amount of people are actually driving out of the drivings was quite amazing. Couldn't handle it.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, Clockwork, Clockwork Orange is rated R. I think Jaws was mature. I don't think it was even.
Speaker 12: Sure, Yeah it was. I think it's sixteen plus eighteen plus back then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about the Yeah, what about the underwater diving scene with the head and anyway, it's yeah, it's a monster film. Thanks ol. Clockwork Orange, Yeah, are hyperviolent. I think was described as back in the day futuristic dystopian thing good. I David, you talked about George earlier.
Speaker 12: I just released the Pinborn was saying, now's.
Speaker 33: Very good my movie, my movie that cringe? Or is the shining red Rum on the mirror twins the dining Room theme?
Speaker 1: Ye, so much, Jack Nicholson, that's a that's a cracker two. That's another Stephen King novel. Isn't it that Geezy was good? He took that to another level, didn't he? Jack Nicholson?
Speaker 12: What an't actor?
Speaker 6: Are you still?
Speaker 8: Probably?
Speaker 13: Today?
Speaker 33: One more thing, although I haven't seen any.
Speaker 34: Of the movies.
Speaker 1: It'scarsy for Life. Thanks, no need for that day, Counterbars twelve. Yeah, the Shining that's so I think that's Stanley Kubrick as well directed that. Like Clockwork Orange, the Shining still holds up really well. And he's no good Jack. Jack Nicholson plays that character Torrance. I think Jack Torrance from Memory and he's got a super twist at the end of it. And it's yeh's a cracking film. Lots of lots of malevolence and human dysfunction in the shining Thank you, Dave.
Speaker 10: Good I Rod, Yeah, yeah, I look back in the seventies they used to have movies called creature features, and the creature feature movie was called The Creature from the Black Lagoon. And after watching that, that was the first time my brother allowed me to sleep in his bed after watching that, that was.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 10: We used to say that was interesting.
Speaker 1: We used to stay up late, didn't we to watch him?
Speaker 10: We did day, yes, yes, all those wondering thanks And actually I did watch it just recently and with with my family. We all had a bit of a laugh and all that sort of but yeah, that was it. That was the one that we stayed awake all night just watching it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember those. There was Yeah, Edgar all and Poe One's murders in the Room, Morgue, the Raven, all those things. They're all black and white, Hay and they.
Speaker 5: Were jared, they were.
Speaker 1: Free to wear.
Speaker 10: The Man with X ray Eyes, all those sorts of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, cheers, Rod, thank you mate. Yeah, the Man with X ray Eyes. Yeah. Horror film films that have scarred you for life one Double three, eight eighty two is the phone number, Matthew, Alex, Tony stay there. We'll talk to you guys in just a second. Running a poll today, are you optimistic about Australia's future? That yes is a sixty one on one of them, and the nose are one hundred and two. Thanks for being part of it today. Another really good response to one of the Perth Today polls seventeen and a half PLAST twelve asking the questions today. Movies that have scarred you for life? Jaws is celebrating its fiftieth fiftieth year of its release later this month, and for those of us that saw it in the cinema, yeah, it was about a shark and the ocean, but it was a monster film as well, wasn't it Great suspense, great bit of storytelling by the master himself, Stephen Spielberg. One of the one of the genuine blockbuster movies. I think it was released in America in four hundred cinemas on the same day and it was huge. Jaws. It was huge here in Australia as well. Movies that have scarred you for life?
Speaker 36: Hi, Matthew, Yeah, good O, Simon, love your show.
Speaker 12: Good to see you back.
Speaker 36: Thanks mate, undoubtedly as a tough local. So I thought, madam and I went to the cinema, so he said, oh, this more cricket could be okay to watch. Been to Northwest, worked there many times. I just about jumped into his lap and had told him it was that scary and it was graphic. It was the noise, the intent everything, and that laugh with the knife.
Speaker 1: I don't think he'll.
Speaker 12: Ever leave me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the former play school presenter as well, Matthew, just to add to the menace.
Speaker 36: What more can you say?
Speaker 1: And I don't want to give away the end made or any spoilers. But it didn't get any better, did it. You thought there might be some redemption, but it didn't get any better.
Speaker 25: Well, it's just a cold shiver.
Speaker 11: And I don't think I slept.
Speaker 1: We went camping a couple of times after.
Speaker 7: I don't think that's properly afterwards.
Speaker 11: Still a little bit nervous on a on a windy night. Then someone's gonna be at your tenth door knocking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's right, and I reckon. Yeah, if you pull up to a crater in the northwest of w A and your car won't work, be afraid. Thanks.
Speaker 35: When you need to stop you, mate, Sorry, mate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's been a couple of them, hasn't there Wolf Creeks. I'm just trying to think what's his name? The actor? Oh, John Jarrett, John Jarrett, John Jarrett, Mick Mix, thank you, Jimmy good A, Alex.
Speaker 23: Yeah, there's one movie that really put me in the back feet at the droll. Was the Exodust that really disturbed me?
Speaker 1: Terrifying?
Speaker 23: Terrifying, wasn't it was?
Speaker 1: Mate?
Speaker 23: I was looking looking over your shoulders. Yeah, I didn't expect yeah, first thing to be that bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I saw that. The little girl, Yeah, the little girl in the playble in the Blair. I think they're not around a little bit same ere made as Jaws. I reckon, wasn't it? Yeah, mid seventies, I reckon, thanks mate, all seeing at the Melody driving in rocking Ham Slash Granana, good Tony, good day, fun and hello mate, Not me.
Speaker 34: It's my one of my twin sisters. I have twin sisters, or twelve years younger than one of them.
Speaker 33: Was always didn't like.
Speaker 34: Clown, never liked clown. Of course we took her to see it right to this day and she's in her forty. She's terrified of clown and to this day, the other sister myself still leave red balloons around our house.
Speaker 1: That's not good, mate.
Speaker 34: Hey they all flood done?
Speaker 1: Yea, they flowed down here, Thanks Tony. It's me and another Stephen King novel, wasn't it the Clown. Some kids are scared of clowns, some kids for obvious reasons. Some kids scared of Father Christmas as well. I remember, I've got mate whose kids wouldn't go to the shops and Father Christmas. Is there?
Speaker 19: Good a, Jenny, Oh good ay, Simon, love your show, Thank you Jenny. Growing up I always I enjoyed scary movies, horror movies.
Speaker 17: I just enjoyed them.
Speaker 21: It was just one of those things.
Speaker 19: But only recently I saw a black mirror one of the black mirror movies called metal Head. It's all done in black and white. It's post apocalyptic UK, and it features those headless robotic dogs. I had never been more scared in all. I kept looking at the clock, thinking when the hell is this going to? And I couldn't. I couldn't leave it. I couldn't leave the heroine in the state she was in. I had to watch it to the end.
Speaker 7: It is just horrible.
Speaker 19: If you really want good scare, watch that.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, Hey, and when you say those headless robotic dogs like I should know what they are or like that, well you know, well.
Speaker 19: You know how they show them now quite often whenever they're showing robots, and they have those robotic type dogs that go and do know, bomb disposed. I think it features those very heavily.
Speaker 28: And it is rendered and.
Speaker 1: As part of the Black Mirror series, is it?
Speaker 21: Yeah?
Speaker 19: Yeah yeah, and it's called metal Head and it looks it's very very scary.
Speaker 1: It's scarred for life. Thanks Jenny, cheers, Thank you. The fiftieth anniversary of Jaws approaching Scarred for Life. A lot of us who saw it in the mood in the cinema unless so, I mean, my kids watch it now and just think it's hilarious because the special effects aren't. Aren't they good? But still still a monster film.
Speaker 7: I would have thought, Mike, yeah, goodo Bowie, I've got one that's very similar to Jaws came out not long after, called Grizzly Yeah right that.
Speaker 5: It was about a grizzly a.
Speaker 7: Big giant grizzly bear going around a national.
Speaker 25: Park in America, killing all the campers and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that Rings a Bill was it? Was it something to do with some sort of toxic lake and toxic poisoning or am I imagining that?
Speaker 7: No, no, no, you're thinking of cocaine and beer.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize that that was one.
Speaker 35: That was the one that just came out recently that.
Speaker 3: Carl Aingen was talking about.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah, that's a very much a Carl sort of film. Thanks mate, Grizzly rings rings a Bell, Good on you. Thanks for calling Anthony today. Hello, Hello, Anthony. Scarred for Life.
Speaker 27: Co came there. I'm going to have to put that on the historic It was seven Yeah, Brad, I think the ending of that was that was a brilliant baby full stop, but the ending was harrowing at the time of the baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amazing film. Yeah, Kevin, Kevin Spacey and Brad, wasn't it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 27: Yeah, seven thins I reckon. I'm guilty of all of them. Actually, I've been a bit of strike and Kevin, who.
Speaker 1: Was Brad if it was a maybe going to help yeah yeah nice, yeah, yeah, nice mate. Yeah, we won't spoil the ending, but yeah, sevens seven is a ripper scarful life. Thank you mate, well done. Hi Vic, you're there, Vic, Yeah mate, there you go going very well. Yeah yeah, that was the Spielberg film too, wasn't that?
Speaker 37: Oh I couldn't tell you. I remember watching it the bloody living cod share of me, and when I left to drive in where I was, I kept looking in the real rigimal for this semi driver. Yeah yeah, yeah, you never told the drive round he at the end when he crashed and there was blood Goodman on the steering wheel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's true. You never Sorry mate, it's so fat again another monster film I reckon from the Spielboo film. Thanks Vick, Yeah, Jewel, I think I'm trying to think who started in that? Which bloke started in that? Anyway, it'll come to me, Thanks Vic, Dennis Weaver, thank you Anne? Did i? Hillary?
Speaker 21: Oh?
Speaker 38: Good ays to you, Simon. I just wanted to give you the classic, one of all classics. I think it's Alfred Hitchcock cycle, the shower scene with Anthony Perkins and Janetly. I think that was I mean, the music was so haunting.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, really scary.
Speaker 38: Hey yeah, yeah, for sure a lot of people they did not take showers for a long long time after that, you know, quite.
Speaker 1: Sort of raunchy too, wasn't had had a few adult themes in a well, yes, Hilary brilliant. One of the Yeah, one of the scarf life films Forever Hi Joanne, Hi.
Speaker 3: Mime was Psycho.
Speaker 39: But my brothers I went to the movie and then a few months after, one would turn the light out and the other would bang on the bathroom window. And I was just about died. And my brother did it recently. He watched it, and then I was having a shower and he come up to visit. Next thing, his banging on the window and not my god. Yeah, I'm husually afraid of anything.
Speaker 1: Did you did you, Joe? Did you see it in the in the movies?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, so that was sixties. Wasn't it only sixties?
Speaker 39: Oh yeah, yeah, I'm old, I'm older.
Speaker 1: Thanks, thank you, Joan. I don't I don't know if this is true, but I heard someone tell me it might have been. My old man said that. On the night that it was released in London, Anthony Perkins sat outside some of the cinema, sitting under an under a blanket, very malevolent scary looking bloke. You know, that skeletal frame and those those hollow eyes. Yeah, nasty, nasty bit of work. Not just a shower scene either, the whole concept. Great twist. Thanks Joane, could I Peter?
Speaker 35: Okay?
Speaker 1: Good mate.
Speaker 35: So I got invited to a swimmer party as a ten year old primary school kid, and the young Bloak who was having the birthday he was allowed to choose a horror movie. Oh dear me, American Wealth in London as a ten year old is I've never forgotten that movie. I just about know it line for line. When the twenty fifth anniversary special came out, I bought that, Yeah I did, Yeah, I actually it is actually one of my favorite movies now. But I remember as a kid, you know, whenever i'd whenever I was a young Bloak as well, like you know, my teenagers and that walking home at night from a party or whatever, and I would be constantly looking over my shoulder, constantly.
Speaker 1: Great effects for memory in American Will for Liner.
Speaker 35: That was a fantastic movie. George Landers did a bang up job with what he had. I mean I watched the special effects and I watched the making of the movie and everything like that. And yeah, and there was one raunchy scene in that one as well, Simon.
Speaker 1: I don't mind a bit of that between you and me. Thank you mate. Twenty nine minutes to one. Have you got a movie that scarred you for life? Brooks? A scary film which will met George today.
Speaker 40: Oh, scary film has to be scary because I'm going to say cars because doc Doc had from the old Racer has been smashed and left on a scrappy and bamby they killed baby.
Speaker 1: It's getting see Europe. There's softy answer.
Speaker 15: Hey, goody, Simon had a game, good mate. Yeah, this is a bit of a psycho Spriller goes back about thirty years. Kathy Bates with.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, yeah, another Stephen King film, wasn't it.
Speaker 23: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 15: Yeah, she's got a lot of class.
Speaker 1: She loved him way too much, so you know, bad we love. That's the way to love someone. So just strap him too a bit and hid him with a hammer. Thanks, you know, thanks for you coll mate. Yeah, that was a scarp life film as well. Won double three A eighty two. It's twenty eight minutes to one. Thanks for your thoughts, everybody. I wanted to ask you about in the financial year in just a moment, because are you holding off for the sales? I reckon eight point one million Australians will take part in the in the financial year sales. Are you hanging on? Where are you going? What are you doing? What are you borrying? What are you wearing in the financial year sales? We'll talk about that in just a second. Let's take pause. We are running a poll today. Are you optimistic about Australia's future? That yes, it's a sixty one. The nos are one hundred and two.
Speaker 41: Looking good out there for a Tuesday afternoon. No delays on the Mitchell Kwanana, Graham Farmer and the Northbridge Tunnel all flowing well and no problems in the city however, Metro area Hutton Street eastbound at Mitchell Freeway in Osmond Park slow going at the moment. I'm Bruce well Shan, Perth's traffic Leader six PR.
Speaker 1: Our call of the day today we'll win two tickets to Blind in the Wind, paying tribute to Bob Dylan in the era of Indie folk and muscle songwriting, along with tributes for Johnny Cash and Joan Baieres playing at the Regal Theater down at mandra Empac the Manager Performing Arts Center Thursday, the nineteenth of June and at the Regal on Friday, the twentieth of June. How good tickets are available from ticketech dot com, dot who thanks to Mario Malo Promotions. Blind in the Wind, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Joan Byes, Let's take course, Let's go to our newsroom. A good afternoon, John Nichols.
Speaker 32: Thank you, Simon, good afternoon. Please are calling for witnesses to a fatal accident last night in Armadale. Happened about half past six when a man in his thirties was hit by a truck as he was walking along Southwestern Highway. The head of the Corruption and Crime Commission is stepping down. John mccackney has announced his retirement and he will finish at the end of the month, having led the Triple C for a decade. Residents in some Perth southern suburbs, including Beaconsfield, Spearwood and South Fremattle, are facing a fourth day of disruption because of a series of sewage legs. Water Corporation hopes to have the leaking wastewater pipes fixed by tomorrow. Look Beveridge will continue as Western Bulldogs coach for another two seasons. The premiership winning coach will continue into a twelfth season, with the club having already become the longest serving coach in the Bulldog's history. Twenty degrees at the moment, showers today becoming less likely, down to eight overnight partly cloudy and eighteen tomorrow more news.
Speaker 1: At one, Thanks John, John. Any movies that scared you and potentially scared you for light for your entire life? Pretty much?
Speaker 32: She ever wondered where the title of the Tears for Fears album songs from the Big Chair came from.
Speaker 1: No, I never have, but where, Well, let me enlighten you.
Speaker 32: There was a movie called Sybil back in the late seventies, and that's about yeah, Sally Field, not the Flying Nun anymore.
Speaker 1: And she was its long way from Gidget exactly.
Speaker 32: She played a woman who had associative identity disorder. We used to call it multiple personalities. She only felt safe when she was sitting in her analyst's big chair. Anyway, the movie I decided to take my girlfriend to go and see that in seventy eight because it was a TV movie in America. It came out in the cinemas in Australia in seventy eight, and it was at Uni. It was an electure theater, theater at Uni. I think it was probably the middle of summer. It was a bit warm, it's a bit smelly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 32: And there's a scene at the end of the movie where you see what Sybil's mum allegedly did to her on the kitchen table. Yeah right, Never going to see that movie again. Yeah, Wow, it's a bit shocking. Anyway. I fainted.
Speaker 1: Did you first a hot time?
Speaker 32: It was a bit hot year, Yes, maybe my dinner didn't agree with me.
Speaker 1: Wow, Sybil, I had forgotten about that one. Brilliantly done, John. Thank you. If you catch up tomorrow with Nichols Niche, Yes, yes, thank you John. Poltergeist is Murray. Most of the casts have died suspiciously. I think that's right, Murray. I think four people died again, it's a Spielberg film, and I think four people died after the film with Poltergeist. In really unrelated ways. The duel act was Dennis Weaver. Thank you, says Laurie. Appreciate that. Lourie. I think I've got your pronunciation of your name right. Naomi from Valcado mimas Piranha nineteen seventy eight. Thank you Alien, The first one says, Jeff, Yeah, thanks for your thoughts on all of that. Well, I'll keep reading out some of your responses on all of that today. Let's do this. Sheer market stronger today after a three day break? Are we clear? Joins us right now from Shaw and Partners today, Aree, what can you tell us?
Speaker 14: Hello, Simon? What It's been a three day break for the share market and I think it was an eight day break for me, and I'm very pleased to report to celebrate my return. The share market is a fair bit stronger today, which is a pretty amazing effort given all of those horrible images of rioting on the streets of Los Angeles over the weekend. Nevertheless, all of the major banks here have improved today, and the resource companies are stronger as well. The spotlight or price is hovering around ninety four dollars fifty a ton. The goal price is at three three hundred and twenty six US dollars. Announce Shares in the big data center company next to DC have rallied today. They've been expanding their business in Malaysia with a new data center they're building in kl to go live early next year next. DC shares are up nearly six and a half percent at fourteen dollars and one. The regulator ASSEIC have announced some plans today to make it a little bit easier for companies to list on the ASX. Listings have hit a new low not seen since before the pandemic, and they're wanting to rectify that situation. The next big company to float on the local share market will be the airline Virgin Australia. Their prospectives came out on Friday last week, so hopefully that will be a success and lead to more companies floating. Virgin are expected to start trading in two weeks time, on Tuesday, the twenty fourth of June. And there's been some very bad news from a listed IVF company called Monash. They have mistakenly transferred the wrong embryo into a patient. It's the second time it's happened in two months and the Monish IVF share price has tumbled today. They've got twenty three clinics in Australia, four in WA. The shares have dropped twenty five percent today down to fifty six cents. Before April, which was before the first of these incidents happened, they were worth over a dollar a share. So that's in a real state of disarray at the moment. But the broader market has continued in its recovery from an all time high set in February of eight hundred and eighty. We fell over fifteen percent by April, but our June and the markets back to eight eight hundred and three, up sixty two points today.
Speaker 1: Simon, all right, oh you well done mate. Well I look forward to chatting to you tomorrow. Thanks so much. Yez O Nclair from a short end partners. Yeah, Monash in Troubler game. We spoke about this a month ago and they've done it a game, it would seem allegedly. Jason from Alfred Cove says Bowie was Jaws for me, and then I saw Piranha and Orca that I had to go to school swimming lessons at Couji Beach. It used to be close from time to time because the Shark's siding has been close to Rob's. JEDDI wow ee, Jason, no doubt this one here, this one here from Mike and I Mike a nineteen eighties movie called Saturn three Kirk Douglas, Harvey, Kai Tel and Farah Fawcett five or six years of age when I saw it, robot in space kills and takes over his mind. It's our rated three. Thank you mate, Thank you. Mike one double three, aged eighty two. Have you already taken part in the end of financial year?
Speaker 5: Sal So?
Speaker 1: The big sales landmarks in our currndar year have traditionally been Boxing Day and the Black Friday sales, which have really emerged, particularly in the electronics market. But the end of financial year, sal So, I reckon eight point one million of US Australians will planned to shopping in the and EO FY sales and we could be spending over two thousand bucks each. Chris Jacob joins us now from Finder. Hello, Chris, hey, Barry, thanks having me, Yeah you too, thanks for chatting to us. Are you are you going to be part of the eight million? I reckon I might have a little look at this one.
Speaker 42: Yeah, I've already snapped up a bunch of stuff. Actually, I recently moved house, so we had a few things we needed and I saved about forty percent which wasn't bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Yeah, that's good, isn't it. It is becoming, you know, it's really emerged, hasn't it. And I guess there's reasons for it. You know, big retailers whatever, they are trying to offload stock as they go into the new financi a year. Can you legitimately get a sale?
Speaker 42: Chris, Absolutely. I think it's it's a bit of a black horse and a financial year's sales. Like we tend to think of Boxing Day and Black Friday as the big sales events, but I think and the financial year is equally as good in terms of the discounts you can get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, it's across the board.
Speaker 31: I know.
Speaker 1: And our producer here is.
Speaker 28: Too.
Speaker 1: She's got to work couple of websites that she follows, and a lot of them can be around around clothing, women's clothing, women's accessories, but it does include electronic goods, home and living, family and lifestyle fashion that you can get it. You can get a bit of a bargain anywhere.
Speaker 42: That's That's exactly right. It's pretty much like every single retailer imaginable is jumping on the bandwagon. Like even things like utilities like you can save on your energy bill or your phone plan. You can get up to fifty percent off at the moment. So there's some really great bargains around and it's not just electronics like it.
Speaker 37: Is to be.
Speaker 1: And are we presenting to the bricks and mortar store, Chris, or going online? What are we doing?
Speaker 23: Well?
Speaker 42: I think you should definitely start online, just because it's a lot easier to compare the prices between different stores. And obviously there's a lot more variety as well. If you're looking online, well at the brick and moltor stores, you're like kind of like, it's just what they have in stores, what you can buy.
Speaker 13: So I would start online.
Speaker 42: And if you don't see what you want, then it might be worth just ducking around to your local Westfield or whatever it might be.
Speaker 1: And I genuine in the absence of knowing, Chris, I genuinely don't know this. It's on now through to the in the financial year. Is it is it one day, two days or can you go in there?
Speaker 42: Every year it seems to go longer and longer, So I think the sales a lot of them actually started in May and they'll keep going through right up till thirtieth of June, and some of them will even go beyond that, so you might be still be able to get some deals in July as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, good to talk to you mate. Thanks for talking to our listeners at six pr Ye're welcome. Thanks Chris Chris Jaga from find Out What do you reckon? Listeners? Have you have you or are you going to take part in the end of financial Year sales? Love to hear from you. Have you got a bargain? Give us some advice and all of this one double three A to eighty two movies that have scared you for life? Brian Reckons. The Psycho House is displayed at Disneyland in la Thanks Brian Wowe. This one up on the hill? Is it mate? The one behind the motel? Thank you. Lots of people saying alien. This one here from Dana of Umree High Dana or Dana. I hope I got it right. Silence of the Lambs took my grandmother back in the eighties. You thought it was I thought it was a farming movie of farmer farmer's wife. That's Science of the Lambs. Wow. Thomas Harris. Oooh that was Unbelievable's the twist in that amateur ville Horace is Russell from Averley? So as a kid in forty five, they just still haunts me. Never again? How many Ville Horror? Who wrote that? Jimmy?
Speaker 34: Do you know that?
Speaker 1: Stephen King as well? No, I've stayed away from that one. Yeah, everyone tells me to Yeah, yeah, all right, thanks mate? One double three add two. Love to hear from you today. Are you buying up big during the end of financial year sale? Have you done it already? What of your purchase? Give us? Give us a tip? Just another another one? Isn't it so? Boxing Day? Black Friday? And now the end of financial year sales and eight point one a median Australians will take part of it on on average spend two grand. How about that? Jay Andson wrote Amittyville Horror? Never heard of Jay Ansen Sean never heard of it. But I do remember the book and it was a film as well. I reckon. We'll come back in just a moment. Thanks for listening. Thirteen and a half minutes to one o'clock. Your thanks listening in We have Wayne on the line. He's an attempting to win a couple of tickets to go and see State of Origin number two next week? Get a Wayne?
Speaker 23: How are you Silomon?
Speaker 26: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Good mate? What's our code word mati rivalry? Yes, excellent mate? Going on next Wednesday, mate to to watch Origin live? Obviously great getting the second game, isn't it so? New South Wales? Big winners in the first? Who are you on? Which jump are you're wearing?
Speaker 23: I don't really have a favorite, but I'd just like it to be a nice close and good game and a biff here and there?
Speaker 1: The Billy Ollie joins you now, okaday Olie? Hello boy? Hello? What on yesterday? Thank you mate? And I thought you were you were a fine fine job. Who wins Origin too? I've got Wayne on the line. He's got our code word correct.
Speaker 30: Queensland wins?
Speaker 8: Do they?
Speaker 1: Billy Slater's sacked huge as a player as a captain. Yeah both, he's done.
Speaker 30: That's his career.
Speaker 1: He's over. Wow.
Speaker 31: Cameron Munster the new skipper.
Speaker 1: Whiz the Maroon? Yeah yeah all right, he may waite enjoy that. Who are you going with?
Speaker 23: You might take my son in law maybe?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 23: Yeah, I newly newly appointed someone law from not long ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, father in law of the year. Enjoy that, mate, Thanks thanks for listing the six pur thanks mate for you Yeah, so yeah, I bring this up with so I love rugby league. Yes, you grew up with it. I came to love it later in my life. I don't want to mention your team and the Dolphins, but that was awful. The Dolphins running fifty six points. The world was melting down. Don't avert your eyes.
Speaker 31: The world was melting down on Friday night.
Speaker 1: I did not bother watching.
Speaker 31: The second half of the match, and me and West Coast some of the Soviet Organs yesterday poor so she was. You could barely consult her well.
Speaker 1: Her and I chatted after the Eagles girme on Saturday, and I wasn't here yesterday to talk about it. But both her and I are wondering if that's rock bottom. Yeah, I know you mentioned yesterday. But it's hard, isn't it? The Keeper of Faith? Oh yeah, and it's hard, like Sophie biased merch, I know memberships one hundred percent.
Speaker 31: And for the Dragons on Friday, this was probably one of their worst losses of all time. But I turn it off at halftime. I decide I wouldn't get angry this week and I just put it down as an anomaly. So if they repeat that this week against the Sharks, then the warning signs.
Speaker 1: Of the Loveeld. We've had three years of it. Three years.
Speaker 31: I bought that jersey of Saint George in twenty ten and it hangs in our house, signed by all the players when we won the premiership, and I spent a lot of money on it. People think I'm crazy, but in my lifetime that might be the only time that they ever winner premiership because they're so bad.
Speaker 1: Well, they were a mighty clubs as Yeah, you happened to bond it yesterday. The sewerage yeah in the suburbs going, yeah, still going.
Speaker 31: Still going. Issues in the Swan now and after we had that fatburg out of the rac Arena de Barklay only a few months ago, have we got some major maintenance issues. And sure it's incumbent on us to put the right things into the toilet, but this is really bad that the maintenance might not be up to standard. Now we've got a state budget next week. So Simone McGirk, the Water Minister, is she knocking on Reta Safioti's door every day and saying give me more, give me more, give me more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd hope so, and I reckon a couple of years ago Olie Caroline Spencer came out and gave Water corporate whack over leaking, leaking Pikes different system couse. Yeah, but yeah that's And did only you flirting with Trevor Long a bit earlier? Yes, yeah, he asked him if he liked you, and he said yes, but he did give me much. He didn't give you much. I think it was that phone to legs. He was overseas, but I have been.
Speaker 31: I've been on the Western Union and transferre to a couple of dollars his way, so you know, until there's a draft, he may stay on Perth Live not Perth today.
Speaker 1: It was hard going back to the X would give you never quite works that. It's a good idea principle. What do you got for us today? So good nor blowing. This is up today.
Speaker 31: So our lawyers in the studio is answering your questions. The Consumer Protectors along and Anthony albit Easy, has decided that the treasure Or will organize an immediate roundtable about how to boost productivity?
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 1: How do you do it. Everybody's got to have an idea.
Speaker 31: Is it unpopular as it may sound, the fact we need the unemployment rate to go up, so people need to lose their jobs to value the job that they have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you have a yep, good point, Oliver. I give you the final say if you will. Are you optimistic about Australia's future? Elbows Press Club A genus speech today and there's a national survey out saying we are pessimistic? What say our listeners?
Speaker 31: I add the last vote to the yes column saying sixty six I'm optimistic in the noser one hundred night You've got it, like Simon, Let's give context for a moment. We live in Perth, Western Australia, Australia say no more, got to be optimistic about our future here.
Speaker 1: It's so good we live in that so good? How good is su McDougall?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 1: Na have you're back? Bowie cheese mate, well done yesterday chess mating for pleasure for a mighty mighty job. You can hear Alliver, this st affnoon two one on five is in career best form. Four and a half minutes to one o'clock Are you optimistic about Australia's future. Yes, sixty six. The knows A one hundred and nine will come back and let you know who's going to see Blind in the Wind movies that Scarred You for Life, Jane says when a stranger calls, have you checked the children? Says Jane may be scared of babysitting, Maybe scared of life. Actually, Jane, that's a really good one. Thanks to the Mouse's the Crying Game, Scarred mal for life. They have been the same since Washing It. It was a surprise ending, wasn't it. Mouth. It absolutely was a surprise ending that particular one. Yeah, thanks for listening today. I really appreciate it. The poll was coming as yes as sixty seven and those are one hundred and nine again a massive response. Really appreciated this one here from Michelle. Couldn't live anywhere else. Thanks Michelle. Nice to hear it from you. Our call of the day to day is Jenny, who found in about Black Mirror metal Head one of the episodes. Thanks Jen. You have two teams seed Blonde in the Wind, aw tribute to Bob Dylan. Johnny Cash is there too. Joan Baeres Regal Theater and Friday of the twentieth of June and the Impact Mandra at the thirteenth of nineteenth of June on Thursday. Thanks to Mario Maolo Proroching. You get your tickets through ticket Tech. Thanks everyone, back tomorrow at nine o'clock. See you there, notally next