Speaker 1: Good evening and welcome to footy classified so much to get to tonight sin Kilda, Melbourne, Essenon and Carlton All on the agenda and a Caltoony exclusive on the Sydney Swans, plus rising tension between Channel seven and Fox Footye Let's welcome in the panel. Five time all Australian James heard, Welcome to you, Tom, great to be here, Thank you, and Matthew Nicks out two time Adelaide Besson Feris Rory slain in Goode slone.
Speaker 2: Much more hair from there, Tom So great to be back and.
Speaker 1: Leading AFL dot commentator You journalist, Caltoony, Hello again.
Speaker 3: To you, Hello guys, good to be back.
Speaker 2: Tom.
Speaker 3: Let's start with the Saints because they've lost eight out of their last ten games and there's more change on the horizon. What can you tell us tonight?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's some stage. So what I can tell you tonight is that Sint Kilda has unofficially earmarked AFL Hall of Fame a geelong great Corey Enwright to succeed Ross Line whenever it is that Rosslyne decides his time is up. Now he's contracted to the end of twenty twenty seven. Ross there's no suggestion at all that he's ready to step away anytime soon. But players, football department, staff, and I'm told even Rosslin himself believe that he is the person to take over whenever that time comes.
Speaker 4: Twenty twenty seven is not too far away. Is it a Josh Carr like handover? Is it that formal or are you saying.
Speaker 1: It's informal at the moment. I mean, I think when Corey Enwright came into the club he was an assistant coach. Robert Harvey was probably the one that would take over from ross if and when that happened. But in the last twelve months, Corey Enwright's been elevated to two IC. He's now the game plan and strategy boss behind ross Line, and they rate him so highly. I think the only thing that stops this, to be honest, cal is that Chris Scott departs Gelong and then Gelong sweep on Corey Enwright.
Speaker 3: How highly rated is he internally alongst the player?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so highly rated. I haven't heard a bad word about Corey Enwright. We talk about Adam Simpson, we talk about Nathan Buckley, we talk about John Longmi. But I believe if Corey Enwright is the best assistant coach out there that hasn't been dry.
Speaker 2: Would other club's been looking at him then too, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they would. I think he's next in line. And we haven't spoken about him much because he's been at sin Kilda not that much success, but Ross Lyin loves him and everyone at the club believes that he will be the person to take over from ross eventually.
Speaker 4: But if you're speaking as highly of them as you are, and people around the traps are speaking that highly of them, surely if there's a coach that comes at a club that comes out of a coach this year, he could go.
Speaker 5: I mean, he can go anywhere. Conny, he's not tired.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the issue, and that's what happened cal with Sam Mitchell and Collingwood, and that's what forced the Hawk's hand in the first place. And what we do now about Saint Kilda is that there's been lots of changes since Ross Lyne took over, and an unbelievablemount of changes. This is his club in every sense of the word. He started with a mandate that he would be Ross the boss in more ways than one, and look at some of these names that have come in, but also some have come out in a matter of just over two years really. And what I can tell you tonight as well is that Tim Barber, the longtime doctor at Saint Kilda, has informed the club that he'll be leaving at the end of the season as well. He's down the bottom there. So this is a club entirely in Ross's image and if it succeeds, it'll be unbelievable. If it fails, it will be entirely on Ross. And I think everyone's comfortable with that.
Speaker 4: But he's done that ever is gone. I mean the first Secuity iteration, that was the way he did it. The Freemantle iteration, that's the way he did it. I mean, that's Ross's way. If you don't like it, get out of the way. If you do like it, stay But I just think that that if you're going to employ Ross line, that's what you have to put up with. We'll I'll put up with. That's what you have to accept and want. And for me, that's what the president and the Committee of the Board have wanted, and good on Ross are putting.
Speaker 2: They're all on board. That's too much change. Caw that's so much change here. I don't know how one man can have that much impact and still focus on doing his role as a senior coach whilst undergoing all that change.
Speaker 3: Well, he is doing his role as a senior coach, and part of that role as well is in the list management side of things too, which is really really integral in in keeping players, their hopeful retention of from the Ziwang And and Miller and the hopeful attraction of players as well. And Tom de Caning. Tom d Coning now is at a point where he wants to know where Zawang And and Miller is going to be playing his foot in next year, and ross Line is a big part of that process as well.
Speaker 4: Why don't you think that's appropriate? I mean, if you're SEENI your coach, you're worried about whether this person's backing you. Everyone's got to be on board going in the same direction. I realize you've got to people who challenge you, but don't you want to send your coach people who believe in you along alongside you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, but you need people in those positions to manage staff. I believe man, and you need to see your coach. You've SENIORR coach. He's got so many players to deal with and football staff in that manner that that's where your sole focus needs to be as a coach. Otherwise I think you can get.
Speaker 4: His focus can still be on that, but just put people in and do the other roles that he trusts.
Speaker 2: Did you like have a big influence in that sort of No, No, I didn't, But I was a second year coach.
Speaker 4: This is a guy who's been what this is a fifteen sixteen year and then he's been there a long time. I'm not saying it's right or it's wrong, but if I was rosscoing mate Securita, I would want a lot of autonomy to do things the way I want it, and people to support you. Because the worst thing as coach is people around you that you're wondering in my being backstabed, do they not support me?
Speaker 2: Well, that's what looks like he's got at the moment. He looks like he's got a group that supports him clearly if they've got a clear plan around this till twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 4: And it'll be judged in hindsight whether they succeed or where they fail.
Speaker 1: I think it'll come with that as well. So Carl Delenda's on the same page as Andrew Bassett, who's on the same page as Ross Lyne. Jack Steal's the captain cow what's his future at the club? Giving his contractor for another couple of years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he signed a five year deal at the end of one of his best seasons the end of twenty twenty one. That was when he was a back to back All Australian Jull bestman Ferris. Since then we've seen the accolades drop away. Now what I can say is that despite the contract, clubs are considering trade approaches for him now. A lot of water has to go on to the bridge before he leaves the footy club as a captain. It takes a big deal to happen. But on the midfield market, he's a name that has been mentioned amongst clubs and as a twenty nine year old, can someone bring him in to.
Speaker 1: Play a role straight away out of their midfield and he is a reluctant captain. Jack Steele as well, he doesn't necessarily love the role he's in it because he feels like he owes the club because they voted him in. But it's not a role that comes naturally to a either. So that's a watch next year, of course, if he's still at the Saints. As you mentioned, you've break a big story last week around what the Saints are doing in regards to the AFL and the academy is what can you tell us tonight?
Speaker 5: Well, they're leading the.
Speaker 3: Charge on this crusade, aren't they. And these are some of the recommendations that they put to the AFL Commission because they want the abolition off the Northern Academy zones ahead of the twenty twenty five draft. They know that's not going to happen this year, but it's a bit of an amber claim to get some of the other factors put through. I think part of that is to tighten up the screws on some of the loopholes that are coming through the Northern Academy and also the NNGA system. But they are really really strong on this front, and they're trying to lead the charge.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: They're out there by themselves on this one publicly. Privately, there are some support for it. I just don't think that going for the throat of the Northern Academies is going to get anywhere in the way of the AFL.
Speaker 4: Can we just put that back up for a minute, because what I don't understand is the first line of the second line. So they're up to the abolition of the Northern academies, but the inclusive Coeens and this one in the redistribution of NBA zones. What's the that's a subtle difference or is it a big difference?
Speaker 3: A big difference because the NBA zones is part of a review that's happening at the moment from the AFL. NNGA gives club's access to multicultural and indigenous players, the Northern academies for the Giants, the Suns, the Swans, and the line is anyone in their region that they've developed and been a part of their academy. So a big difference in terms of the access to their players. And they want them to just have an MGA zone like every other club.
Speaker 5: I think I don't think that's the right move.
Speaker 4: I think having New South Wells players playing in New south Wells clubs and Queensland players playing Queensland clubs is essential to the growth of the game and it broadens the pool the kids we're talking about in let's say the gold Coast Signs Academy wouldn't have played AFL twenty years ago. They're a new addition to the talent pool, which I think is essential and also gives young kids looking at the Gold Coast Signs of the Brisbane Lines, it gives them aspirations to say I want to play for that club because I can look look at the draft.
Speaker 1: Pick eighteen becomes pick thirty, Pick five becomes pick fifteen. Is that an issue Slainy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, it's not. Equalization is what we want, a fair and equal competition. At the moment we're not getting it. I completely agree.
Speaker 4: With a players we do, Yes, you wouldn't have those players in that pool potentially.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But how do we make it? How do we make it easier for Victorian clubs to get in the most as well? Because it's and I'm talking about other states.
Speaker 5: Just get their mothers overseas.
Speaker 2: That's a chat for another day.
Speaker 3: Point is the point that their picks that are getting pushed back and back and back in a time when they're trying to rebuild.
Speaker 2: Will this have more traction if Collingwood was leading the charge on this or a top four side. Is this falling down the sort of taking order because killed are up winning.
Speaker 3: And some clubs have these views but they're not going to share it. If Colin would have this view, well they've got Nick Dakos and got a premiership out of him, so they're in different biases all over the place.
Speaker 1: And watch your view on the part.
Speaker 2: I was just about to touch on that too, because I agree that that should be demolished, abolish. Yes, it's really I get what fans love.
Speaker 4: It, not fans, but football people love it. I mean gives it gives the lineage of people to play at the same club.
Speaker 2: But on history as well, Yeah, I get that because because you get that.
Speaker 4: For the for the Victorian clubs and then you get the news of last Queensland clubs having a different rule.
Speaker 5: It all bun s A and.
Speaker 2: W A in there too, which we can't forget about. But then touchy point. But no, I'm just like I'm big on like there's enough stresses at the moment in football. Then you add added stress of the father son coming in.
Speaker 4: And other sons. Now what kind of like crows you've got.
Speaker 2: We've got a few coming in. But I'm just saying that's another added stress. I've seen guys come in and that hasn't fit them. And I know my kids are coming through. I don't want them to follow my footsteps on to find their own.
Speaker 3: PI are pretty good Crow supporters.
Speaker 1: That's not what they want at all. Have we got to move on now because today the AFL confirmed that it has repurchased Waverly Park. I understand it's a some between ten and fifteen million dollars, which is far less than what the developers wanted and what Hawthorne wanted. Nevertheless, the Hawks will move out of that and they'll move to Dingley and the AFL will move back in and they'll use this premises for aflw and umpires and various other means cal This has been a topic for some time now. What does it mean from Melbourne Football Club? If anything, this will.
Speaker 3: Re push the surge to get them back as Waverley as their home base so their home training administration center. These decisions from their point of view is that they're not even considering looking at Waverley as their new training in administration.
Speaker 5: I would they be considering wavel Well.
Speaker 3: They are fully focused and we'll get to the statement from Melbourn Footy Club in a second, they're fully focused on their Coreford Racecourse option and on the option England Huntley in that region. We look at some of their words that I spoke to the footage club then progressing plans and new t and a facility that better supports our player's staff and the wider community. Club has been working on a suitable location in the Coreforld Racecourse reserve. We have in productive discussions with stakeholders around that.
Speaker 4: How far away realistically is their move to core Field. It has to be eight to ten years. So for the next eight to ten years they're going to be based at Amy Park at Gosh's Paddock rather than go to a facility. And I know that's the second hand Hawthorn facility. I think that's the issue. They don't want to be well, they're taking out of a second hand calling facility at the moment.
Speaker 2: Well at the moment in there in Collingwood's Poolhouse, aren't they so Well.
Speaker 1: They've got two different facilities at the moment. They don't want Hawthorne scraps. They believe they can redevelop core Field, but part quicker than that.
Speaker 4: Well, even as five years it's been the next five years that just doesn't make a lot of.
Speaker 5: Sense to me.
Speaker 1: One thing that doesn't make a lot of sense either is when there's a clash of dates, and this is something that we haven't seen before. On August twenty eight, the AFL and Fox Footy have locked in the All Australian Awards Night. On the same date, August twenty eight, Channel seven and Sen scheduled to broadcast and host this year's Legends Match, which was formerly the EJ. Witten Legends Game. This is a clash because it pits Channel seven to one broadcaster against Fox Footy the other broadcaster. You have a charity match with lots of viewers and lots of entertainment on one channel and you have a AFL lavish gala on the other. Also, and the reason that it can't be on the Wednesday is because that will be the night the Gold Coast play Essendon and they've got AFLW on the Friday. So that's certainly one to watch and it's building tension behind the scenes and it also might have an impact on the Rising Star Award.
Speaker 3: Cow Well will have an impact on the Rising Star Award because of course there's a potential of a nomination coming out of that final game of the last round. So the AFL has told clubs tonight that the Rising Star winner for the first time will be announced on Brownlow Metal Night, which is going to be a really good moment. But the logistically this has been made the shuffle because in case a nominee comes out of that last game, in case there's an m ROS issue as well. We know eligibility is an issue as part of the m RO situation and the Rising Star nomination. So really looking forward to seeing this happened on Brownay Knight. In the past, up until twenty nineteen, the Telsha Rising Style had its own function, its own event, really prestigious day. Now it'll get that moment on Brownloe met All Night.
Speaker 2: Who's your tip?
Speaker 3: I'm a Murphy Reid or Harvey Langford fan.
Speaker 4: So what would you rather watch the Legends game or the All Australian on TV?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 2: Are you playing in the Legends game?
Speaker 1: I'd rather watch it?
Speaker 4: I have, but I had a hip replacement of a year ago text Bess said would you like to come play as that?
Speaker 5: Unfortunately I'm barely get out.
Speaker 2: Of bed sound Yeah I got an invite, but I can't play. Is it no good anymore, So.
Speaker 4: What would you rather watch on? Seriously, what's more appealing to you rather?
Speaker 2: Th not I I'm just gonna sit on the fence. You'd rather I'm not on the same night because I really enjoyed both of us. But they're going to bend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're going to be on the same night and it's just another little battle behind the scenes between the two hosts. Broadcasters at AFL h Q Channel seven and also Fox Footy All right, stay with us on Footy Classified. Coaching moves are plenty after the break, that man Michael Voss is under the pump, the Blues are in the spotlight and Cal Toomey with some exclusive news around the Sydney Swans coaching panel. Stay with us, Welcome back to Footy Classified. Carlton is the most talked about football club in the country and now it's out turn on Tuesday night Footy Classified to dive in to where they go from here. Herdy, If you are coaching Carlton right now, what would you say to Nick Austin, their list manager about your number one.
Speaker 5: Need you need ball user?
Speaker 4: You need good ball users and speed and running capability, the rumors or what I get to told out of Carlton is the capability of that runners, their power, runners, ability to run, his speed continues throughout the game, or it is just not there. They've got really good inside me as everyone can see, but they don't have the cake bill on the outside. So go and find good ball users who can run and spread and get outside the contest, because if you can combine that inside contest with outside, you have a very good football team. You get into Charlie and Harry and it's going to be a different story.
Speaker 2: Well, it looks like a different team when they get in there quick, don't they. But they did say on the weekend that they just can't sustain it for long enough. And that's probably the issue at the moment.
Speaker 3: So just on Charlie and Harry, do you move on? Would you be open to moving one of those guys?
Speaker 4: Look, I would be if you can get if you can get quality players on the outside with ball in hand and look, and I think probably unfortunately for Harry's probably the second tier to Charlie. But you've got to give something to get something. But you can't keep going with the same as what you've got. I know, who've got young players coming in. But I think if you're on an immediate impact, you've be able to look for that speed and balls on the outside.
Speaker 2: There's always a reluctance to get rid of a big name, but sometimes we'll show some players here have been moved off in previous years. I mean, we've got guys like Dangerfield to Geelong, didn't buy the Adelaide for those next couple of years, locking you at Freo Kelly to where Coast, you've got Cameron Tralaw, Grundy, Dunky Terreto.
Speaker 1: Don't be afraid to trade a big name.
Speaker 2: Don't be afraid to trade a big name, because all those clubs are absolutely fine those coming years after all.
Speaker 4: Jeremy Camera Wan I wouldn't quite agree with that. They were fine, but Gey, big hole, big hole massively. You'd rather keep them, of course, But yeah, played the grand files is Jeremy Camera. That's true, that's true.
Speaker 1: But they're still competing. Hey, cal what's the mechanics of their list rebuild? How quickly do you think they can pivot based on who they want?
Speaker 3: Well, they've got two options here, don't they? Until revolving around Tom Zicconi. The lose option, which is the favorite option at the moment is they would gain a first round compensation pick that that comes after whether the first pick would be. Of course, they traded that pick out last year to go and get Jago Smith. That'd be pick ten. So what do you go and do with pick ten?
Speaker 5: Guys?
Speaker 3: Do you go and chase Miles Bergman that's an option for them is twenty four year old port Adelaide. The inclination at this point is that he's coming home. That's the sense from Victorian clubs, and you also potentially save a little bit of cash there. But then you also have to worry about what's coming through from a draft perspective. So they've got a father done this year, Harry Dane, the son of Peter dean premiership player from thirty years ago. He's a quick, tall key defender. And then you plan ahead as well because Cody Walker at the end of twenty twenty six this feels like a long way away, but if he was in this year's draft, I think he'd be a top five pick. Neil nearly so, the son of Andrew Walker. So they have to get moving, but it can flip quickly. I'm just worried about their depth as a yea.
Speaker 1: So fundamentally they have to work out whether this era is still retrievable or if this era is over and they can start again, and how quickly they can reset.
Speaker 3: And how do you do that to find the picks too, because we mentioned about Sam Walsh as well, like this is a guy who's a free agent next year, has big interest already club's interested in trying to rip him out of there. I don't think they opened the door to that this time around, but who knows. If you offer up a couple go and he tach your speed and ball use anyway.
Speaker 5: Absolutely does.
Speaker 4: But this era is definitely invalable, and they've got two quality players a lot right the contest the defense. If you can put some a couple of two good ball users around that team, they have to find though this just identified one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this era is reaching an end now, like they can't continue to try the same things. They have to be bold at the draft table, the trade tape.
Speaker 4: I agree, but the era can keep going if you'd put a couple of good ball users speed around the capability. It's such a fine line. You put two good ball users in there. That changed the whole look at the Couple Football Club because you're not turning the ball over as much, you're retaining the ball. It's I don't think it's as faraway as everyone thinks it is, as long as you can get speed and ball use around those boys.
Speaker 1: It's a big nine weeks coming up, as it is for the Sydney Swans as well. Dean Cox as their coach. We know they've had a skeleton staff for much of the season because of John long Ni's late departure cal What can you tell us about their future plans?
Speaker 3: So you have heard of skeleton stuff. They didn't replace Stean Cox himself. He went from the senior assistant coach up into the head role of course, so they didn't replace him. They didn't replace the role of Joe McVeigh as well from the assistant coaching panel, who went down to the VFL coaching role. So my understanding is they're very much on the hunt for assistant coaches at the end of the season to add to their group. One of the names that they are looking at is Luke Shoey, who's a former teammate of course. Yes, that's the man, the enormously with medalist from the Eagles or the teammate of Dean Cox's at the West Coast Eagles Footall Club. Now he's a midfield and stoppage coach at the Eagles line up there under Andrew mcqualter. He's considering it and whether he'd make the move, and I think he'd be a good choice for them to bring across.
Speaker 4: And you've got room for more than just one. If the soft CAP's going up by a considerable amount, you're down one. You could actually bring in two good coaches, whether it'd be senior assistant, whether it be more development coaches, because development coaches nowadays they're so important, but you could with a young list.
Speaker 1: Sony, how much do you think John Lomeier's departure as late as it was affected the football department at the Swans and by extension of the players. It feels like they were caught on the hop a bit, which is why they're a coach short.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I think we're seeing what Cox and we've spoken about this Herdy, what Cox He's been trying to do for the first half the year. It does take time to change. I cannot wait to see Sidney off the back of the hot solid preseason with just a solid foundation of work behind them with no change, and they will come into next year with and we've spoken about their contest and pressure I have on Sunday. We're going to speak about it later. But once getting that up and go and they're back to that bloods like culture, they'll be back.
Speaker 4: So you think they can rebound quickly. Absolutely, even in the second half of the year. I think they'll be a better team. With Guild and pappily coming back and Mills back into some form, you'll see them as a better team and they'll be hard to beat, particularly up and Sitney in the second half.
Speaker 1: Of all the big name free agents, Sam Draper's right towards the very top of that list. Cow he's not playing again for the rest of the year. Where do you think is going to be playing in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: Well, Essendon has a four year offer on the table for him. My understanding is that's opened the door that offer and it's not quite at the level that he expected, and it's opened the door for the Adelaide and Brisbane interest and offers to be more higher level to maybe tempt him to move more than he probably thought at the start of the season. I think at the start of the year, Sam Draper was set on staying at Essenate he got injured, He's had time to think about it, the offers come through. In saying all of that, I'm not sure it's the worst thing for Essendon if he did move and they were able to add to their draft.
Speaker 2: Now, what is that? What's he looking for?
Speaker 4: Well, look, I know he's very popular player amongst the senior players, and I think they want him there. But the picks they have in cal you go through those picks.
Speaker 3: Well, pick five is tied to Melbourne as part of that deal they did last year with the trade back. Pick six is their own since killed at twenty two twenty four. If Droper left it either be a first round conversation or potentially an end of first round conversation. That's a big difference. If it was first round, it'd be pick seven. End of first round, it probably blows out to mid twenty.
Speaker 4: So what's the number? What was the Rory's point? What does that number have to be to get in there? You have to hit the nines. That's to be a nine hundred thousand dollars and what for this? And you think I minds standing to be around the sevens okay seven because because I've heard the same thing that he's that it's a low ball Offeric on what he was expecting.
Speaker 5: But also the Brisbane and Adelaide are.
Speaker 1: Very they low balling him on purpose though, because they don't mind him leaving for that reason. I mean, that's the question. We don't know.
Speaker 2: I think history and Sholie she can't overpay a ruckman, right. We're seeing a couple of backfires and got something against rum. I love ruppling more than anyone Sam Jaco.
Speaker 1: That's the Colin with Darcy Cameron discussion at the moment as well.
Speaker 3: Now Absolutely and Essendon have nearly twenty players out of contract. One of them is a Lijas artist, a large started state of contract next year. Ben Hobbs out of contract this year. What would you do with those two?
Speaker 4: I think you've got to play both of those at the moment. I think, but you know you've you've got to find out about Statist You've got to give him games in the midfield, and the Hobbs you got to play him inside. I think Hobbs is getting games. He's playing as a halfward coming in too thetoppage you're playing there, give them a go, are in and around the contest for the next eight or nine weeks and see if they're the sort of players you want. If they're not, then you put them on the table. But I don't think you really know enough about them.
Speaker 1: Yet, Rory. We haven't spoken much since the Wanganeen Miller story broke a couple of weeks ago, regarding his future and what we now know what he didn't say to people around him around text Walker. These were flatly denied from all parties, including Wanganeen Miller himself, who has Calu reported called text Walker allegations of dirty tactics from rival clubs. It's probably not a new thing, but how widespread.
Speaker 5: Do you think it is?
Speaker 2: I can't speak exactly for this situation, but situations in the past. I know for a fact that a couple of players who've come to our club and express what other clubs have said to them around our footy club, and they're displeasure towards our club, or just how it's been operator than run and spoken poorly about.
Speaker 5: Does it make you feel it must make it.
Speaker 2: Never or something like that was just we just always saw it as a dirty tactic, and it's a couple.
Speaker 1: Of times there's one thing to speak neededly about your football club, there's another thing to make up lies about you football club.
Speaker 2: What are you suggesting here, Well, I'm just saying I just don't think these tactics should exist anymore. And it's happened to points where I know that at least two players in the past have gone, well, that's just a big black line through that club. We're not going to go there. If that's how they're going to operate. Why I wouldn want to be part of that club. So the tactic doesn't work for everyone. It maybe has in the past for some, but it's not there for everyone.
Speaker 3: Is this part of the course you've been in pitches to players?
Speaker 4: I don't know, not necessarily. I mean, I remember when Chris Judd was came and interview to us and interviewed Carton and everyone thought he was going to Cartland. We saw, don't go to Carton, they're no good. But you know, in a joking way. It wasn't really that serious. But I hadn't seen that before.
Speaker 1: Interesting, it's a really interesting point in something that we'll talk about as the year progresses. I'm sure heard it. Your up next with slowly on the coach's corner. Stay with us on futy furnace, pretty classified, want to come putty firniss On Sunday.
Speaker 6: Marcus Spontane, Pelly yours the night's help in tune to pick up see.
Speaker 1: This kid's gotta be kid bott.
Speaker 2: And Pelly found the world bat.
Speaker 1: That's not that we don't come to say the pots.
Speaker 5: Fifty wonder.
Speaker 2: Against you know, of course I said expected Pelly no one between the.
Speaker 5: Head and.
Speaker 2: Not to hit the front, to hit the front, the doctor in front. Every single one of you voted for the relay. Marcus Chaptain Club.
Speaker 1: Bretain surely not suing.
Speaker 3: Here's the third the trip from the bomb.
Speaker 2: That is.
Speaker 1: What a champion Marcus Bondapelli already is. And he's got so much football still left in him. Game two hundred and fifty on Friday night against the Sydney Swans, which is the subject of Coaches Corner with ry Sline and James hr take it away boys, Yes, thank you Tom.
Speaker 4: We have the Sydney Swans playing the Western Wardogs at the SCG Saturday night, and what a game is going to be. We have two champions playing together, Marcus Bondapelli and Sam Darcy playing alongside it. It's a pleasure to watch these two play. We're going to focus on Sam see first of all, Rory his marking ability. He is unstoppable at the moment, isn't he.
Speaker 2: He's ridiculous, So I don't think we've seen a player like it in recent times. He's just his reach he's got is enormous. He bullies players at the moment and he makes people look silly. But no one can No one has that reach. I don't know if anyone in the past had had that similar reach.
Speaker 4: We're going to talk about how we think you can stop him in a little bit, But you can't stop Sam Darcy if you've got the cover of the delivery that he is getting at the moment from Ed Richards Bailey Dale and Marcus Bondipelli streaming out of stop, He's streaming out of contest, hitting him lace out, it's almost impossible to stop.
Speaker 2: Well, the dogs are so good with their hands. They get these we call it shoulders out looks all the time. Right, This is why he need pressure around the dogs. But that is just a phenomenal kick and it's one of the bulldogs absolute strength at the moment. They're midfield and they're delivery to their forward line.
Speaker 4: If you give bond to Pelli twenty seconds running out of stoppage, he watched Riley West just wheeled around and just hit him on the outside. I think what the Sydney have to do is what Collingwood did to the Bulldogs. They really put pressure on the contest and stop these kick outs. Se Edwrich is kicking out here. We're going to slow this down and have a look at if you just pause here that ball, if that lands here, Sam Dars is impossible to stop. But the ball by going high Rory because of the pressure, gives Darcy Moore a little bit of a chance to use his bodies and get him off the line, get his hips off the line. And this again pressure by Collingwood gives Darcy a chance and extremely I mean, as good as he is, he wasn't even able to mark this balls again, high ball there it Goes Dars is able to work him under the ball and.
Speaker 2: We're not seeing that enough at the moment from other backs. I don't think with Sam at the moment, you've got to give him a bit of body and make sure you're physical with him. But they do need the pressure and that's something Sydney have brought the last few weeks, especially the last five weeks. The number three in tackles that can test the ball numbers up. But the heap they're providing at the moment, they're going to have to bring this if they want to stop the Dog's midfield.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, I mean the fact that this ones have really put the pressure on the ball means that they are able to stop the contest and able to really get those tackles and get that pressure.
Speaker 5: One of the reasons that be put adelaide.
Speaker 4: If the game gets to a point where the starting positions and Sydney versus Western Bolldogs, would you go see six six? How would you play the stoppage? If you go even number around the stoppages or do you have an extra number there? If you're Sydney to curb the Western Bulldogs are prominence around.
Speaker 2: The I think for me like the dog dogies mids so potent and powerful, I would put an extra around the stoppage and get some heat on him. You saw them what Sydney did to port if if they can replicate that against the Dogs and get the heat on and make make the Bulldogs kick those jack kicks like we saw against Collingwood, they'll be able to stop the Doggies.
Speaker 4: So if you put an stoppage though you're releasing a half back, releasing go on balley Dale gets released off half back one of the best kicks in the competition. Is it worth playing six sixty six or by releasing barley Dale? Orden is a handle at the back and he's tearing through the middle.
Speaker 5: Of the ground.
Speaker 2: So I'm going with an extra around the stopage. What would you would you have an extra?
Speaker 4: I would back the Sydney midfield, who are you know, terrific when they're on and they've got obviously Gilden back and Mills back playing some reasonably good football. So you've got that, you've got the senior players around the back them, and if it's not working, I actually wouldn't throw one at the stoppage. I'd drop one in the hole to try and read and react to that kid coming out of out of the mid This might.
Speaker 2: Be why you're a coacher. No, I was a player.
Speaker 4: We won't find out till Friday night, will we The other thing that's been in the media a lot this week is Sam Dusky in the ruck. People are saying he shouldn't be at the ruck. He's a Rolls Royce, she shouldn't hurt him.
Speaker 5: For me, he does.
Speaker 4: He does need to spend time in the ruck because what happens in a final or a big game when four goals down, you need to change it up. You do need to try something, and you can't just try for once in a final. No, And someone might be getting hold of him too. Someone might have him and he might be a bit out of form or it might not be getting a touch. That's a perfect way to get Sam into a game. Getting around the ball, his follow up and his grand ball is just as good as anyone else in there. And he could be a very dominant ruckman when it comes as well as well if kick goals and it's hard for someone to tag him play on him, if he's up and down the ground playing different positions.
Speaker 2: We've said his boys too, it's Dean Cox like it's elite.
Speaker 3: And how much did Sydney's game plan change with Gulden back. How much of a difference maker was he to them last week in terms of the way that they play.
Speaker 4: I think it just gives them outside release, gives them better ball, yes, and also gives them a runner who can actually get back, defend, get to more contests. I mean his running ability, the sensational gives them that and his ball use is very good. But what I like from the game was, yes, it was it was the players, but their pressure has gone right up and they're tackling, as Rory pointed out, was outstanding.
Speaker 5: Who wins mate.
Speaker 2: Doggies win, dog Doggies win. They're just too good at the moment.
Speaker 5: Yep, yep.
Speaker 4: In Marcus Bond and Pelly's two fiftieth, Tom, we're backing the Bulldogs and I wouldn't be surprised if Marcus has thirty five and Sandarci kick six.
Speaker 1: And if you're the Sydney Swans coach Rory Dean Cox, is your first priority to stop Wonton Pelly or Ed Richards given the year that he's having.
Speaker 2: Look, I think, considering it's the Big Fellow's two fiftieth game and he's going to have a special one a's heready mentioned, I'll be going after. Unfortunately for him and his two fiftieth, he's too damaging.
Speaker 1: Ed Richard's off the chain not a bad one car, Well, who are you tipping this game?
Speaker 3: Dogs as well?
Speaker 1: Yes so am I? But the Swans that backed themselves at home? All right? The Lexus of Blackburn Performance of the week is up next, and I reckon I'm a sneaky chance, stay with us. I'm footy classified that man. Logan Morris was incredible. Nick Daikos too, and Bonton Pelly in Game two forty nine was on fire. Don't worry about the ruse coldin mckirch. Absolute young guy again.
Speaker 2: This sister.
Speaker 1: Obviously I liked a bit of a joke and we got a pretty good relationship. And I said to him like, mate, I've smashed your card into the boom gate and he's kind of just got, oh, yeah, let's going mate, and just sat in the couch and I'm like no, seriously, like go outside, going to smash it in front of it. To have that opportunity to be able to go back and play with my local club and the opposition actually had a film my school teachers playing in that team too, which worked out well. I managed to kick fift here for.
Speaker 2: Ten thousand for a booth in Vegas. That hurts.
Speaker 3: Talks through that US dollar.
Speaker 2: No one just got excited.
Speaker 5: You got this, no.
Speaker 1: Perfect spot.
Speaker 2: A little bit more and he's nearly this, almost centamons down.
Speaker 5: Tom Bobby, he's perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just a tiny you know this surely, Hei, mate, Joe Higgins.
Speaker 2: That's the players.
Speaker 1: You can catch them all on YouTube, all the episodes that have been so far. Amazing staff, Cam Rainer, Harley Reid, Felix mon Hop doing a great job. Some great humor there from the boys as well. Sony, maybe get you.
Speaker 2: On the Paddleland ex players. They take ex players and maybe not yet.
Speaker 1: Let's exhaust all the current players.
Speaker 2: Get the current players first, let's season one go. But it's going so well, it's awesome to watch.
Speaker 1: All right, it's time for the Lexus of Blackburn Performance of the Year. But first, this is what the winner walks away with a brand new Lexus LBX two will drive worth over thirty fifty five thousand dollars, includes on roads and twelve months of vic Reggi. Now that is a serious car.
Speaker 5: Serious, Thanks you serious.
Speaker 1: Thanks Andrew Moore and Jerry at the team of Lexis of Blackburn. Amazing coffee, great cupcakes, read a book when you're.
Speaker 2: There as well.
Speaker 1: It's an incredible experience and you get yourself a car. I'm sure they've got everything, but there's a beautiful Ron Barrassi book you can read as well. If you want to learn about the history of footy. I want to learn about the weekend. It's time for the Lexus of Blackburn. Player of the Weekend. Cal you're up first.
Speaker 3: Well, even when you try and star, you just can't. It has to be Nick Dakos. I mean, what a game from him again? Thirty disposals, putting contested touches, nine score involvements. Has this for a start? First Magpie since Adam Trelaw in twenty nineteen to have thirty plus touches, five plus score assists and to kick a goal as well. So his highest rated game of his season according to Champion Data. What else do I have to say? The man can't be tagged. They keep tagging Hurdy and Coleen would keep winning.
Speaker 4: Cording to rough Line, a lot of those three kicks weren't there, so he had a very easy day because of the umpires.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the mature performance from him, wasn't it. It was just it's just solid as tough performance from Nick.
Speaker 1: But was he better than Tom Green? That's the question.
Speaker 2: Slow Now, No, Tom Green for me was a Lexus Performer Player of the Round. He had sixteen clearances, hurting sixteen nine tackles, thirty one disposals, twenty two contested. He's nearly had the triple double at footy, where you have over ten, ten and ten. He just had one more tackle and even his last goal he kicked, he sold a bit of candy, was unbelievable. But his game he stood up enormously. This is the goal I was talking about. Phenomenal game from Tom Green and he helps them.
Speaker 4: Now, I love Tom Green, but you only see the offense, don't you. His opponent had thirty five. Well, I'm just saying Crederson was pretty good.
Speaker 2: Don't question my defensive watching Tom Green.
Speaker 1: Now, cal tell us about Tom Green as a teenager coming through the draft.
Speaker 3: His nickname was the Tractor then as well, and that's it was an interesting draft. He was in the same draft as Narah Anderson, Matt Rowe, and he was going ahead to head with those guys. In the end, it bid go through to I think number ten. It shouldn't have. That's three or four in that years draft by Mike I Love.
Speaker 2: I'm just come on, who have you got? You made your peak about halfway through.
Speaker 4: This half through a second quarter, Luke Jackson was just on fire and I'm not sure how he can go past Luke Jackson.
Speaker 5: Really, he was on fire.
Speaker 4: Twenty one disposals, ten clearances, forty eight hit hocks.
Speaker 5: Is that some sort of record on some of these marks? And three goals.
Speaker 1: He's up again as a dead tuitiment in the ruck in the veness.
Speaker 5: You can only play against what you can play against.
Speaker 4: I thought he was pretty good, pretty good for the day, but Luke Jackson just showed why he's on the money is and Freemantle can't afford to lose him.
Speaker 5: He's one of the big reasons where they are.
Speaker 4: He's more of a forward half ruckman rather than a get behind the ball ruckman, isn't He's kicks so many goals and he's a dominant force and attack.
Speaker 2: I was just about to say he's one ruckman. I would certainly pay over a million dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow, So what's happening with Luke Jackson? Cow Surely he's not going anywhere.
Speaker 3: I don't think he is. I think the watch now clearly is on Sean Darcy's future though, I mean he's got a contract for another five years, been in and out of the side of the last couple of years with injury. What do you guys think around how Luke Jackson plays by himself versus sharing the rock roll because no ruckman wants to share.
Speaker 4: No, no, they just don't get to continuay do that. I think you want to come off the ground for fifteen twenty percent of the game as a ruckman, but you want to be on there most of the time. They get their fluency, they get there, they get their run. But the problem is you do need to have another ruckman on your list or doing that because if you get an injury or there's such an important part of your side, but one injury, you can throw your whole side out the.
Speaker 3: Cause of you resigning as well, extinguish the hopes of Melbourne to get him back. They don't have any other chips to get him and that would have been a big one for him to come back.
Speaker 1: So where we're looking at Sean Darcy, if he does decide to look elsewhere.
Speaker 3: Well, he's amongst the eight ruckmen they're up for grabs. It a lot depends on what Draper does. Who's the first chip before well, I think to Cooning will be and then Carlton has to make a call on what it does. Do they check go and chase Darcy Cameron who has a year to go on his contract but has been negotiating in trying to negotiate a longer term deal with that Ron Marshall. Then the spotlight comes on does he want to stay again? Do you want to share the role there? Roley O'Brien still not got a contract at the Adelaide Footy Club. Ilbury is going to in the market. So wherever Draper chooses, where do they go. There's a lot of moving pieces in the Merry go Around, we love the ruck meryger Yeah.
Speaker 1: And old fashioned rock mery go around really gets us going in the trade period cow we love that Marcus Bonzebelli got me going on the weekend. He's my lex as a Blackburn player of the week. I think we overlook sometimes just how dominant he is at his absolute best. Thirty six disposals, fifteen of them contested. But the crucial, the separating point from me here was he kicked three goals. He was well held. The week before he didn't have his best game, but in game two forty nine, he just ran a muck against the Tigers. They could do nothing to stop him, and in my eyes, he's clearly the player of the week.
Speaker 2: He's just damaging need thirty six every week, but he's damaging with eighteen to twenty four and yeah, just the way he kicks a ball and the way he kicks a space and makes a forward run to that space. I think it's it's an underrated skill in football.
Speaker 4: No, it's definitely a superstar. But it's pretty obvious that Luke Jackson is the clear winner.
Speaker 1: Jackson really, Oh my god, Luke Jackson is the week. Le's the black Burn player of the week. Thank you to Andrew Moore and Jerry and the team. Up next, it's cal to Me with news or Noise and some juicy topics amongst it.
Speaker 2: Stay with us on.
Speaker 1: Futty classified all Right's favorite time of the night. It's cal to me with that news or noise taken away cal I love that little love that.
Speaker 3: More for that one. Roy Let's kick it off the same old Sons will miss the finals.
Speaker 2: This is tough mane. Now they'll make finals. No, they will, that's noise. They'll make finals. I just don't know who comes out. Maybe it's free. I think dogs and giants will.
Speaker 4: I can't answer that question without answering who comes out. You got to come on, who comes out?
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm going against my start at three or maybe free. I can't see dogs and giants coming out at the moment. I wouldn't want to play dogs and giants at the moment, right, heardy news or noise.
Speaker 3: Miles Bergmann's sickness admission was too much. It was a step too far.
Speaker 5: That's news.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the way he's talked to the Sydney players about being sick, I don't think you do that. But you'd get he dodged him in, didn't you. I'd be a bit dirty on that one.
Speaker 2: Sam Mitchell is just to say it doesn't matter how you feel game day. The job is still the same, So just get on with.
Speaker 5: If you run out there.
Speaker 3: The real issue with Miles bergmann sickness is his homesickness.
Speaker 5: I think as.
Speaker 3: Jordan Degowey should be warehoused until September.
Speaker 1: No, that is that's news. If I was Craig McCray and Collingwood, knowing that you're six points clear on top. I would be holding Jordan de Gooey for as long as possible, getting him back through the VFL, which he hasn't played since the very start of his career, and making sure he's cherry right for finals, so there's no rush and if it means it doesn't play till a round twenty three or even finals, so be it.
Speaker 3: Rory news or noise, the Bulldogs will resign Adam to law.
Speaker 2: News, Yep, no, they'll resign Adam. I just don't know if you'll like. They're not desperate to h They don't need him as much at the moment with Fraser playing great midfield minutes. At the moment, you've got Libbe, You've got ed Ridges was spoken about Bond and even really Sads coming up too. So the development it's their young guy's been great.
Speaker 1: What do you think Tom does he come back in in finals if he hasn't played any VFL, He's done his third calf of the year. Is that too big a risk for Luke Beveridge, who has been known to make these calls before, to take.
Speaker 3: Now if he's fitting, healthy and in good four. Absolutely, he's a noise hurdy. Fox should be paying for Dimmer's fine. The fingers saluted.
Speaker 5: How do I answer this? No, yes, noise.
Speaker 4: No, they shouldn't be paying because Damien Harbock I've known him since he was twenty years old, sin to Iceland days.
Speaker 5: He's as tight as they come. Make him pay.
Speaker 3: You were on the receiving and one of them from him forward.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was on a few sprays. If you didn't pick up your man, your forward running forward and he had to get get to you get a fierce brothrom.
Speaker 1: And cal just before you move on. The reason that Gold Coast want Fox Footy to pay that fine is because they showed it an AFL three sixty. Had they showed it on the broadcast, then Gold Coast would be happy to pay the two thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, news and noise Tom, the rules have turned a corner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, News, they're turning the corner. I'm proud to say the rules are no longer a sixteen to eighteen team. They're a twelve to fifteen team, which means they're rounding the corner. They've got a fair way to go. I'd like them to get three to four more wins and then next year push into the nine to twelve range when it comes to ladder position.
Speaker 3: They make the finals next year.
Speaker 1: I don't think they will make the finals next year. I think a year after Okay, yeah, I think it's a bitch too fin Next year you have a better heard you.
Speaker 5: What's that of a bet?
Speaker 3: No, I don't know, tap top row rory final news or noise for tonight, Zach Merritt must be played as a full time mid news or noise news.
Speaker 2: I'll get hurt his thoughts on this in the SEC two. For me, I think the best clubs at the moment with a good solid midfield group spin their players through. There you've got Collin when they can spit many guys out onto a wing as well. So I like if it'd be better for Zach Merritt's body. I think if he plays majority mid but then spits out onto a wing and gets those outside minutes too.
Speaker 4: For Zack, I'd like to see him playing in the midfield, but I'd also like to start Us and Hobbs playing in the midfield. So for the senior players, if there's choice in senior players, as Zach plays Zach. But if you're trying to blood some youth and find out about players, I would sacrifice a little bit Zach's time.
Speaker 2: I think it's like a seventy thirty split seventy to thirty inside thirty thirty.
Speaker 4: You've got to work out with Sardistan Hobbs where they can do that and do it consistent performances in the midfield.
Speaker 1: Nicely done, cal very good edition of News or Noise. Sunday Footy Show is on again this Sunday morning from ten A Meltonine Rory Sloane in fantastic form. I will make TJ Nathan Brown, Damian Barrett and the Velvet Sledgehammer Matthew Lloyd. It's an amazing show for a number of reasons. It's funny and it's informative and I don't mind this one either. Jimmy and Herdy. It's Footy Furnace. Later on Sunday night you can tuned into that and again Jimmy Bartel and James Hurd will give you the best news and analysis and opinion of the weekend. Up next it's the Tab Top Three. Stay with us on Footy CLASSI five It's Tab Top three time. Thanks to givin mclochlan and tab and Cal you can kick us off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I walked in today. I said I want this one because we'll start with what I want to land. It only really four goals. He's going to kick a season high bagger goals on the weekend.
Speaker 1: And what did you say?
Speaker 3: Initially I went with Connor Rosie and about twenty five touches.
Speaker 2: That's probably twenty and one. He went with I didn't like that. I got stuck into it now hard as Butters. Zach Butters will have thirty and kick two. He's going to be a huge game on Thursday night.
Speaker 5: Yeah for me, I'm back in the Blues. Charlie Kurno to kick six.
Speaker 4: I think that Carton midfield will finally show some bursts and some speed and kick it down his throat.
Speaker 5: Six goals with Charlie.
Speaker 1: So who wins that game?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 4: If Charlie is going to kick it, well, I'm going against the odds, but I think Carlton win that game.
Speaker 1: Yeah quickly Port, I think Port if Willie kicks for so that's Thursday night and Friday night football of course is Sydney versus the Western Bood.
Speaker 5: Obvious you just saw just there.
Speaker 1: That's the game of the round, Hurdie Sloaney cal Thanks very much for your time. We'll see your work on gettable during the week on AFL dot com dot au. Have a great week and we'll be back on Sunday with the Sunday Footy Show and Footy Furnace.
Speaker 2: All the best,