S1: From the newsrooms of the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age. This is inside politics. I'm Jacqueline Maley. It's Friday, February 21st. Well, the reserve Bank finally answered our fiscal prayers this week and announced an interest rate cut of 0.25%, providing relief to stretched mortgages across the land. But arguably, no one was sweating on the rate cut more than the Albanese government, which desperately needed a strong sign that the cost of living crisis has turned a corner. But what message did the reserve Bank send more broadly about the persistent problem of inflation? Will one rate cut be enough to make a difference for Australians? And if it does make a difference, will they reward the government by voting Labour at the next election? Joining me to discuss today we have our senior economics correspondent Shane Wright, and later in the podcast we will talk about the national security speech given this week by ASIO boss Mike Burgess. And for that chat, we will have our national security correspondent Matthew Knox. But for the time being. Hello, Shane.
S2: Well, you're starting with age rather than wisdom. Clearly in the lineup for this, I think.
S1: I think you can claim both of those things. Shane, talk to us like we're not economists, which most of us are. The reserve Bank gave us a 0.25% rate cut on Tuesday, but the message from the bank was rather mixed. What did the bank board say in layman's terms?
S2: Right. In Michelle Bullock's terms, yes, we've cut interest rates because we think a bit of inflation has come out of the economy, but we're not yet convinced it's dead and buried and cremated, to paraphrase a former prime minister. And so this was one of the most interesting aspect of this, because as the figures are showing, inflation is falling. There is no doubt about that, particularly if you're trying to build a house, which has been the big problem over the last 2 or 3 years. It's coming down. However, financial markets have been saying for ages, oh, we think the RBA is going to cut probably a full percentage point this year. Michelle Bullock went out of her way to say, no, we don't think that's right. She used the term unrealistic, saying they've got far more confidence than we do in how it's playing out. We've still got some concerns about certain parts of the economy. So she really tried to dampen the expectations that there would be more rate cuts. But the average mortgage is now a touch over 600 K. That's a bit over 100 bucks a month that you're saving. There's plenty of people who'll say, I'll pocket that extra 100 bucks a month, and I'll be happy for the moment.
S1: And how was the news of the rate cut greeted by the prime Minister, Anthony Albanese, and also by the opposition?
S2: Well, I wouldn't say Anthony Albanese was cheering and dancing, but you could see it behind his eyes that he's pretty damn happy that this has occurred. It's been part of the government's hopes, wishes, desires, expectations that this would happen on their watch. So you can see both Albanese and Treasurer Jim Chalmers relieved that this has happened, because it helps feed into their narrative. Um, in terms of the opposition's, uh, response, I think it was Albanese who said that, uh, Angus Taylor, the shadow treasurer, looked like someone had run over the cat in his front yard. The the opposition knows as much as you try and say, well, this yes, this is welcome, but it's all still the government's fault that they're still at interest rates are still at 4.1%. Um, so yeah, it's a fine line. And we've seen, uh, Peter Dutton had to wind back some of his commentary from last week where he effectively said, oh, look, the bank may not be able to cut rates. It may have to lift interest rates again. And that came across as he was effectively telling the reserve Bank, oh, hold your fire. Uh, rather than saying, well, we'd love an interest rate cut for all those poor Australians out there with a mortgage. But still blame the government for everything else.
S1: The common wisdom is that the Prime Minister badly needed a rate cut to convince Australians that the worst of the cost of living crisis is over, and labor has actually managed the economy reasonably well through this tricky period. Will this rate cut actually deliver political dividends for the Albanese government? In terms of voter gratitude, do you think?
S2: Oh, gratitude might be a bit harsh, might be a bit aggressive in your description. Um, put it this way, if the bank had not cut interest rates, what would the or what would be the counterfactual? There would be people absolutely pointing the finger at the government accusing them of. Yeah. Effectively hurting so millions and millions of Australians. So having a rate cut. I haven't I can't recall a government of any persuasion being upset or voters being upset with an interest rate cut that none readily come to mind. And so and that's the thinking inside government based on decades of, uh, of where this of tracking where this comes from.
S1: Yeah. And it makes sense, but it is a slightly confusing picture because the economic fundamentals are a bit all over the place. Unemployment is extraordinarily low, isn't it? But growth is also very low. So why is the jobs market so strong. What's going on.
S2: Well, this is the thing that's flummoxed. The reserve Bank utterly flummoxed the reserve Bank. Um, so there are much smarter people than me and you who are struggling to come to terms with this. Some of it is in my mind. It's because we're catching up, because we hadn't employed enough people in certain sectors disability, veterans, aged care. And that's where a lot of the jobs growth has been, because as a community, we absolutely shafted these sectors by not employing enough people. And we've had we've had none. Surprisingly, we've had three royal commissions into those, those areas, and they've all come up saying, you just don't have enough people to provide the services that are being demanded or absolutely a measure of civilization. So that's part of it. Um, just the way that business in this country has gone about, they're not investing enough. Partly. And so if you've got a choice between a new piece of kit or a worker who might actually be cheaper than buying the new piece of kit, or taking a punt or doing something different, that may give you big rewards. The business sector is probably a bit shy at the moment, and this has been a problem for the last 1015 years. That's why there's a lot of focus, say, on whether the productivity boosts from artificial intelligence is going to come along and change everything. But this is this isn't just an Australian problem. This is a global problem. And that's why we've seen job rates, unemployment rates falling pretty well across the world over the last few years.
S1: Yeah. And what about household consumption? Because that's really the driver of economic growth, isn't it? And economic activity is just what everyday Australians like you and me buy at the shops. How's that going?
S2: Well, that's been falling in per capita terms for the best part of a year. Um, even with really with interest, like, put it this way, the cash rate at 4.35. John Howard said interest rates will never be lower when they're about three and a quarter like we are in historically. Interest rates are not that high. They and some people will scream and cry and everything else, but they are demonstrably not.
S1: I'm sorry to cut across you there, but isn't that sort of a false measure these days, given that household debt is huge, mortgages are enormous and we have a cost. We have a housing crisis, an affordability crisis.
S2: Well, I'll cut across to you here, to my friend and just say we have made a we have made a decision as a community to spend a lot on our housing, and you and I could do a whole podcast on the fact that my views about the problem with how much money you, me and everyone else are bidding up housing and what that does to productivity, what that does as a community. We've said, right, we value bricks and mortar when we could be valuing other things. That's that's a that's a that's a huge debate which a lot of people don't like going down that because they say, I love my house, I get that. But if you're willing to take on the average mortgage in New South Wales is $811,000.
S1: Um, I think that's another podcast for another time, that whole debate. But I would like to do that. Let's bookmark that. Shadow treasurer Angus Taylor said that households are the ones who've done the work to bring inflation down. He said that households have been tightening their belts, but the government has been splashing too much cash. So this goes to the criticism that the opposition has launched at the government that their cost of living relief, what they call their cost of living relief, is actually just put more cash into the economy and worsened inflation. Is there any truth to that claim? I mean, hasn't hasn't the reserve Bank sort of danced around a similar point?
S2: They well, they talked a bit about this in their monetary policy statement, which was also released on the day of the cut. And that is yep, government spending has increased, but some of that government spending is what has actually driven down prices. The government say the subsidies for electricity or Commonwealth rent assistance that has reduced the headline rate of inflation, that is actually counted as government spending. Absolutely right. The RBA also noted there'd been a big increase in defense spending. Trying to argue that that is inflationary, I think would challenge just about any politician.
S1: Mhm. The government you wrote this week is already hinting at giving further cost of living relief, whether or not that's inflationary. The opposition, for its part, has been very critical of cost of living relief, as we've just said. Hasn't the opposition sort of hemmed itself in a little bit with that? I mean, is it going to be able now to go into an election campaign and say, by the way, we're going to we're also going to give you these bits and pieces to low, low, lower your costs or electricity bills or whatever.
S2: Well, that's the electricity issue is really interesting because the RBA and everybody else is expecting this lift in inflation from the second half of the year as those energy subsidies roll off. And then you'll be going right if you're. Treasurer Angus Taylor you're saying right. No. You just have to put up with like a big lift, like three, $400 a year increase in your electricity bill. That'll be the politics around that are really interesting about whether that's whether they can maintain that. Because you've got Angus Taylor talking the tough talk about that. But ultimately Peter Dutton has to win an election, and telling people that would make people worse off. You can't have been arguing for three years. Higher electricity prices are terrible for people. Are we going to make a decision that will lift power prices? I think the politics of what they do are in that space, which it's unclear, is going to be really interesting.
S1: Yeah, it's sort of the principles of opposition versus the pragmatism of government and wanting to make the leap from one to the other. Shane. Fascinating as always, and we will have you back on again soon. You are our special guest star. Just like Heather Locklear in Melrose Place.
S2: Well, long standing Heather Locklear was a long standing special guest star all through Melrose Place. I'll take that as a compliment, my friend.
S1: She was a veteran. She was a she was a valued veteran, just like you. Thank you. See you Shane.
S2: See you mate.
S1: And now we welcome our very own Matthew not to talk us through Mike Burgess's speech on Wednesday. The speech is called his annual threat assessment. What did the ASIO boss say?
S3: Yes, this is basically the one time of year where we hear in a lot of detail from the head of ASIO, the nation's domestic spy agency. This is only the sixth of these annual addresses. Before that, it was common to see and hear very little from the head of ASIO, because what they do is incredibly secret. But I think there is a view in Mike Burgess has been noticeable in being a much more out there, much more media friendly for the head of ASIO. He believes that for ASIO to have the support of the public, for the government to want to keep funding it, ASIO needs to be a bit transparent about what it's doing. It's something that he's become very well known for, is he will talk about specific plots, he will talk about specific operations that ASIO has been involved with, but he will almost certainly never identify the country involved, for example. So there's a lot of guessing games the day after because he will say one foreign country are was kicked out of Australia for having a nest of spies last year. He talked about an unnamed politician who had been cultivated by foreign spies. This year he was talking about foreign intelligence. Operatives are trying to harm and possibly even kill people on Australian soil. But he's quite reluctant to go into where those people were coming from, which nations they come from.
S1: He talks specifically about state sponsored murder plots, which is a pretty headline grabbing phrase. What was the detail on that? And even though he didn't name countries, which of the foreign countries that we can surmise might be involved in these plots?
S3: Yes, he did go into quite a bit of detail about what was involved in these plots. For example, one of them was a foreign intelligence operatives are tricking a human rights activist into visiting another country.
S4: ASIO chief says nation state agents have been caught harassing and intimidating individuals who have migrated to Australia, but are still considered a threat.
S5: In one operation, a foreign intelligence service wanted to silence an Australian based human rights advocate. The scheme involved tricking the unsuspecting activists into visiting a third country where the plotters would be waiting. They planned to arrange an accident that was anything but accidental, with the objective of seriously injuring or even killing the activist.
S3: This wasn't the only one. There were other examples of foreign intelligence agencies wanting to harm and possibly kill a human rights activists here on Australian soil. He didn't go into the specific countries, but in in those examples. But he did name two countries as being of particular concern. He spoke about Russia and the threat that Russia poses to Australia, particularly in the context of sabotage. It was essentially saying that because of our support for Ukraine, You could imagine Russia trying to pull off something quite serious in Australia in terms of a major cyber attack, possibly in terms of attacking a nuclear submarine program. The Aukus program that we're involved with is making us a much bigger target for foreign operatives are the other country was Iran, which we have had experience about a lot of activities here in terms of harassing, uh, people from the Iranian diaspora, people who go to protests against the Iranian regime, that there have been threats and kind of stalking and, and social media harassment of those people. So they're two countries, a third country that wasn't named, but of course, is very relevant here. Is China very active in this space? There's quite a well-chronicled history of Chinese officials trying to lure people back to China where they might be disappeared or they go into imprisonment. But also India has also been very active in this space. We've seen examples in Canada that are really alarming about Sikh activists who have been targeted by what are allegedly Indian spies operating in over there. And so that's one possibility here as well.
S1: Mhm. What about home grown terror threats? What did Burgess say about that. Because he also spoke about the risk of terror attacks and how that's quite a sort of diverse risk. Are we talking about well organized terror plots on home on home soil, or are we talking about lone wolf actors or a bit of both?
S3: Yes, he did speak about this, and this is in the context of last year. Mike Burgess raised the terror threat level in Australia from possible to probable. So in recent years, he's been speaking a lot more about the issue of espionage and foreign interference. That became the number one threat. And it still is. But what he made clear last year with that threat assessment level was that terrorism is still very real, and it can happen here. And we've seen all the stories recently about caravans with explosives and whatnot in the context of anti-Semitism. So it very much is real. He went into some quite interesting, granular detail about the nature of extremism today, and about how lots of the old boundaries are breaking down. And it used to be relatively easy to categorize how extremists and potential terrorists thought and what they did. For example, ten years ago, it was very much quite controlled by a group like Islamic State from afar directing people to conduct attacks. He was talking about here. Now everything's becoming really muddled and mixed up, and people are cherry picking different extremist views and combining them in ways that weren't common before. So the internet's allowing people to cherry pick. So it's more individuals self-radicalizing on the internet picking different views, and they can pose a threat very quickly at less organized, less structured, less easy to keep an eye on than in the past.
S1: Yeah, but that doesn't mean they can't do damage. Apart from monitoring the threats. Is there anything that ASIO or the government more broadly can do to eliminate these threats, or at least mitigate them? Did he talk about that at all?
S3: He did speak about the operations they engage in. I think what's clear is that these threats mutate and change. They don't go away. Some of the things we were concerned about five years ago are not as relevant today. There would be a hope that all the action being taken on anti-Semitism that's really flared since the the war in Gaza won't be such a big issue in the future. So really, what he tries to go into, most of the things he spoke about are plots that have been disrupted by ASIO. So I think Mike Burgess sees this speech usually as a way to say, we're getting things done, we're keeping you safe. Bad things are going on. You don't hear about day to day, but we have a very active network that is working to disrupt these threats. So that's part of the point of the speech as well.
S1: There's a there's a PR component, dare we say it? Thank you so much, Laurie. That was absolutely fascinating. And we'll see you again soon, I'm sure.
S3: No worries at all.
S1: Today's episode of Inside Politics was produced by Tammy Mills, with technical assistance by Debbie Harrington and Josh towers. Tom McKendrick is our head of audio. Inside politics is a production of The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald. If you enjoy the show and want more of our journalism, subscribe to our newspapers today. It's the best way to support what we do. Search the age or Smh.com.au forward slash, subscribe and sign up for our Inside Politics newsletter to receive a comprehensive summary of the week's most important political news, analysis and insights in your inbox every week. Links are in the show. Notes. I'm Jacqueline Maley, this is inside politics. Thank you for listening.