Speaker 1: On two GB at network stations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is afternoons with Michael McLaren.
Speaker 3: Well, it is in a very happy King's Birthday public holiday Monday. To you. Hope you're well wherever you happen to be. I know a lot of people making their way back east over the Blue Mountains. That usual annual traffic jam between Mount Victoria and Medlow Bath very much in place as we speak, as people come back to the Big Smoke. If you're in that stick the radio one, we'll try to entertain you as it takes you an hour to go about five kilometers one three one eight seven three the open line number. If you want to have your say on anything, of course, you can send me a text right throughout the afternoon until three o'clock. Just go to the text line for that zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three and the email remains the same even on a public holiday. Twogb dot com click on the feedback icon. Lot's coming up on the program between now and three o'clock. Later this hour, I'll speak to a dairy farmer, Phil Ryan. He's down on the south coast there and they've had reasonable conditions. It's pretty greener bigger at the moment, I'm told. But the state of the dairy industry is back in the news and this sort of ebbs and flows comes and goes, this story how the dairy farmers are going. The herd is down in number, the number of farmers is down to the fears it could continue to drop as they are squeezed by the providers and the big behemoths in the industry. Phil I'm led to believes doing okay. I think he's dealing with biager if I'm not mistaken. But a lot of other farmers in Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, in a litter of his drought stricken areas are really struggling to make a profit. And the minimum pricing is being negotiated as we speak. So it'd be groups like Fonterra, I'd imagine it'd be coming in and doing the minimum pricing negotiations and some of them are just saying, look, we can't, we can't operate on these levels. Now. You know, we go to the supermarket and okay, we're not getting a dollar or a liter of milk anymore. But there is an argument maybe we should be paying more. If that then filtered back to the source. The dairying no guarantee, it always does. So these things come and go, these debates, but the problems seem to just perpetuate in the dairy industry. I know very little about it, but I want to speak to someone at the coal face, so I'll speak to philm after one o'clock Meryll Kine. Now Merrill is the new South Wales Justices Association Vice President, and I was saying to Mark just before, there are a bunch of challenges for Justices of the Peace in Victoria. They simply don't have enough of them. In regional Victoria particularly, there's a very significant earth of jps. And you know you're going to need a JP on a number of occasions throughout your life to witness documents, to do all sorts of things, and if there just isn't one available, or you've got to drive miles and miles to find one, it is a real impediment. So why are we down on jps? Why is there a shortage? Why aren't people taking it up? What did jps do? What are the qualifications you need?
Speaker 4: Is?
Speaker 3: My late father was a JP, but I don't think I ever asked him how he came about it. I've got a feeling when he became a JP. In those days, a lot of teachers sort of automatically became jps or something like that. But I might be wrong. That's in New South Wales. Different horses for different courses in different states. But if you are a JP, you might want to have you say on all of this one three, one, eight seven three. And there does seem to be a shortage. The average JP seems to be getting older, and you know that's something we're going to have to look at. Drive is back with us, even if it is a public holiday. A lot of people are on the roads. James Ward, the director of content at drive dot com DOTU will be here to take your questions about different cars and all the rest of it. Actually, speaking of cars, I saw what was it, a Genesis? A Genesis on the road the other year. They're good looking cars. They're very good looking cars. Don't see too many of them around, but damn fine looking vehicles. I might ask James about the whole Genesis story. And after two o'clock with the King's Birthday public holiday, comes the awards that we associate with the day. And I think this is a wonderful opportunity. It seems to have been well exercised this year, anyway to recognize and elevate those that have done extraordinary things but may not have Shall we say that the platform or the pulpit that celebrities have to elevate their cause. Now, yes, we also give gongs to people that are sporting champions and former high profile politicians, and of course they've got their pulpit already and they can communicate from there. But what we get today are a range of Australians, a bunch of people that have really overachieved compared to the average, and yet up until this point haven't really had the ability, haven't been given the platform to educate us about what they do and the areas in which they've achieved. I'll be speaking to one of those people today, Roger Franzen. Roger's the former chair of the Space Industry Association of Australia. He's done incredible work in engineering all sorts of things, and he's a wonderful gentleman. And he's now Roger friends in AO and I look forward to speaking to him in the final hour. We've got track of the day. As Mark reminded me. We'll catch up with a great Mark Levy. He'll be at that big football match this afternoon. The continuous call team on instead of Sydney now because of the big game. So all of that and more stay with us one three, one eight seven three. It is quarter past twelve. Well, look, it might be a public holiday out here, but it's very quiet streets all that sort of stuff. But over in Los Angeles it's a very different story. Turn on the television and chances are you'll see scenes from LA with thousands of protesters and law enforcement facing off over the removal of illegal immigrants from across the city. But depending on who you watch or what you listen to, chances are you won't hear the full story about what's going on. All too often, the anti Trump default position just automatically kicks in and the reason why, for example, the National Guard has been deployed is not explained. So what is going on over there? Well, in short, on Friday and Saturday, so called Ice agents arrested some one hundred immigrants from around Los Angeles City as the agents swept through different neighborhoods, some of them heavily Latino. In composition, tensions escalated and protest has congregated, and there were reports of federal agents being pelted with rocks and chunks of cement. All of that started to filter through. Something had to be done. Now, Trump's decision to send in the Guard is somewhat historic. It is the first time in some sixty or so years that a president has activated the Guard minus a request from the state's governor. But in the case of Los Angeles, the governor is the Democrat Gavin Newsom, and there was no way Newsom would ask for help rounding up illegal immigrants, even those that might have criminal records, because his party has been running a legislative protection racket for such people for a long long time. Now, they call this sanctuary cities, right and in America, a stack of big cities like Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, and along with some two hundred odd towns are declared sanctuary cities. And in the case of Los Angeles, part of this designation means laws have been passed to specifically deny any cooperation between the local authorities and the federal government on matters to do with immigration enforcement. Now, for an Australian audience, trying to work out how this happens. It'd be a bit like the state parliament or some local council withholding resources and denying Canberra access to any council facility in the enforcement of an immigration matter. Now, people here that how does that happen. Indeed, in the words of Nitha Raman, who's an LA councilor from the fourth District, quote, LA's new Sanctuary City Ordinance permanently enshrines sanctuary policies into municipal law and prohibits the use of city resources, including property and personnel, from being utilized for immigration enforcement or to cooperate with federal immigration agents engaged in immigration enforcement. Now, she went on to write to constituents recently, quote the ordinance prohibits the direct and indirect sharing of data with federal immigration authorities and important gap, she said, to close in our city's protection for immigrants. So there you have it. The law makers of Los Angeles City have no interest in helping the federal government identify and deport people who shouldn't be in the country or suspected shouldn't be in the country. In fact, they're doing everything they can to protect such people. Despite the direction of the Congress and the presidency. That's a completely unacceptable state of affairs that's been allowed to FESTI for far too long, and at all it took really was a president who was prepared to actually follow through on his order to bring it.
Speaker 4: To a head.
Speaker 3: And so here we are now. The la Mayor has been in the media this morning urging the pre cotesters to keep calm lester. She says they play into the administration's plans. Now. Trump has been accused by other leading Democrats of intentionally escalating tensions. Ironically, what these people don't admit is that it's their policies that are the things intentionally escalating the tensions. You see, since nineteen seventy nine, with the passing of the so called Special Order forty, the LAPD have apparently maintained a policy where they don't arrest people on the basis of immigration status or take any actions to determine a person's immigration status. These don't want to know. The latest sanctuary city legislation, the one I mentioned earlier, is merely the icing on the cake, the cherry on the top, But it speaks to a mindset that's determined to undermine and stymy federal directives in a policy area that should be wholly managed by federal law. Now, I think with the deployment of the National Guard, Trump's making a point not just to Los Angeles in California, but all the devotees of sanctuary cities across the United States, and that is shape up or ship out. In his first term, he tried to deny these jurisdictions federal funding if they didn't follow federal directives. That failed, but emboldened by winning a second term, he's clearly trying again, and so far the legal barriers are again being put up, the latest coming on April twenty four, when a federal judge in California, of all places, barred the administration from denying federal funds two sanctuary jurisdictions. But if it goes all the way to the Supreme Court, well Trump may have the last laugh. Watch this space. In the meantime, some of Los Angeles streets remain off limits, with smoldering cars, riot police, the National Guard, at a mix of protesters and just plain rioters facing and fighting for the rights of what the Americans tend to call illegal aliens. Now many will remember that song by the clash from nineteen seventy seven. You know, I fought the law and the law won. Well, it's going to be fascinating to see which interpretation of the law prevails in this case, the local laws of the city of Los Angeles or the might of the federal law and the presidency. But either way, as the messy scenes play out on our televisions, one thing is certain, the reputation of the United States eight winning. Appreciate all the feedback, keep it coming. Zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. On this public holiday Monday, a lot of calls about the JP situation. Let's get to some of those. Jack, Good, afternoon, kisch.
Speaker 5: Hi MATEI how are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Good? What's your story? Jack?
Speaker 6: J was given it the light through the court back in about eighty four, and then only recently they start a lot of FREJP.
Speaker 7: They took a lifelong awarding of it about ten years ago, and then only last year you had to sit there and do another test of your testing of his JP knowledge. And I just said, I'll bug it. I've been a JP for nearly forty years. Why do I have to sit now and do a test. And I think a lot of people did the same thing. I know my brother did the same thing. My brother, my son in law, he also did the same thing. Why should we have to sit back and do another test? Be coauld have already done all this, Nothing's changed, We're still doing the same Servant.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting point, Jack. That's something I'll raise with my guest in the in the second hour, Merrill about this refresher test or course or whatever it is. Is it not being a JP. I'm not across all the details, so I'm here to learn about it, and it's interesting that people are dropping out like you, saying, well, why should why should I be retested for something I've been doing and as a community service for decades. Thank you. I'll see what others have to make about that. Jack Sean, good afternoon.
Speaker 8: Hi Michael. I had the same experience as Jack, and you know, I was really disappointed with the whole pres because I've been a JP for forty years. I'm sixty now. I was a JP when i was nineteen and and now Jack said, you know, ten to fifteen years ago they started to you know, had to reapply to become a JP. And that was fine, and the test which we had to set. Last year, I printed out a PDF document of about fifty or sixty pages and went through that and studied it. And the questions, Michael, were so close to know how you have multiple choice questions where the answers are very similar that you know, I got sort of you know, eighty percent incorrect correct, and you know I had to get ninety percent to become reapplied past the test. I didn't even get an option, but it was was basically, you know, you're failed and you're not being to register. And I was really disappointed with that whole prochi because you know, as Jack has done and other people have done, you know, you give this as a community service, yes, and then you service and we'll see you later. And now that the short of people that's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, okay, we're getting a bit of a story developing. Sure. I appreciate that. Thank you, Hi Patricia, Oh, hi Michael.
Speaker 9: I've been the JP for over fifty years and I went to Parliament just ever a year ago where they had a morning tea to recognize people who had fifty years service. I did it mainly in my work, which is in a hospital, and so much legislation now including in the workplace like you need fax leave or everything. They all need decks and they all require a JP, so you can be quite frisy doing your normal workplus some having to sign statutue decorations. And in my days when I first joined, you had to apply to your local member of public and then they also did a criminal record tech so you had to be a good character and have references, but you didn't need any other qualifications to become a JP.
Speaker 3: So no doubt, Patricia, you've been doing the for fifty years. Thank you for what you've done. You you would have had to have gone through that reapplication process at some point there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, absolutely did it online and may register you, I think for about three years, and then to continue to be registered you have to do the testing in online.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What do you think about that, as that I've got no skin in the game except I used JP occasionally like everybody does. But about reapplying as it were being tested every three or so years, is that fair and reasonable?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's a bit of a nuisance that I think. Oh well, it keeps you on your toes to make sure you haven't forgotten anything or you know you're not missing the point on something, so I didn't object too much to having to do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good on you. Thanks Patricia. Lovely to hear from you. Enjoyed the rest of the public holiday Monday. Doug's there, God, I Doug Michael Pleasure.
Speaker 10: I just read I just read something sat the JP test. I think I got referral five and he's you got to do it. But they have made it easier where you only really sit in the questions you fail first time around. I'm just saying to your system five years ago or six years ago, when COVID was around, you get one question wrong and you got to see the whole thing again, which is an absolute punish. I thought it's probably seen or fifteen times and was going to start to towel week. But it's easy this time around. So I guess they may have listened the peoples concerns when sid or finder in your process.
Speaker 11: I'm the sharing Yeah all right.
Speaker 3: Well that's obviously in recognition that a lot of people were doing what our previous callers were saying, is well, okay, sold this, I'm out. So you've got to design the system so that you keep a certain number of jps on the books. Otherwise the whole thing grinds to a halt. Doug, well done for persisting. Thank you. A lot of techs coming through on this XT. We've hit on something here, no name, but it says my husband did the same thing as many of your callers after about thirty years said no thanks to all of this. Last year, Sue on the tech said, I was a JP for thirty seven years. I retired last year with the renewal of status application forms. They're now online, but I don't have a computer. It was a privilege to serve the community. These are usually available at libraries, post offices, banks and real estate agents that I know of. That's from Sue, who is now retired JP. A lot of people I think go to the post office for that, some doctors JP's as well as being GPS obviously real estate agents. That's interesting. I hadn't thought of that, all right, Good to be with you. One three one eight seven three. The open line number two got the text lines going nuts for a public holiday. Every JP under the I think every JP in the southern hemisphere sent me a note already, Dave saying what many have said, it's a theme here. He said, when I reapplied from a JP license that was five years ago. The questions were so close in answers. I complained and was told some of the answers were correct, but one was basically more correct. Sort of animal farm esk, isn't it. We're all equal, except some animals are more equal than others. Anyway, I said, frustrating six times to get three questions right. It's a he's a paint of the dairy. That's from Dave, So I think Dave's stuck with it. But a lot of people saying, when you do the test, and again I've got no knowledge of any of this, but some of the answers are so similar that they are basically almost the same. But you've got to pick exactly the right one, and it's confusing. And now look others are saying, well, look, you know JP or not. You want to make sure that the people that are will do have this title, know what they're doing and get it right. So if they're favling the test, maybe they shouldn't be a JP. Others who are JP, so, well, look, you know, we know what we're doing. It's just that the tests are so difficult to discern the exact right answer, because some of them are so close in rationale that it's almost deceptively difficult. Now again, I'm just referencing what others are telling me. I have no knowledge of this. We'll discuss it in greater detail with an expert after the news, but I said text after text. This one from no Leano says I am also a JP for many years. The test is many answers that are very ambiguous, and a one hundred percent pass is required. Whilst I'm happy at my age early eighties to still provide the service, I think the whole thing is just too hard to provide a service. That's from Noline. Thank you, Noline. Nice to hear from you. This is from Gay, who says I've been a JP since nineteen eighty nine. Like the last caller, I too had an online course assessment to maintain my status. It's typical of the government simply adding a layer of red tape to keep some bureaucrat in the job. Also note no other occupations can sign documents and do not need to do this course like a JP. All right, Gay, thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it. Paul suggests that JP should be paid a small fee. My understanding is it it's a completely voluntary service. Again, I might be wrong, but that's my understanding. Geraldine's just called in, Hi, Geraldine.
Speaker 12: Oh oh, Michael.
Speaker 13: Yes, I've just done my reapply to be a JP, and it's actually a lot simpler than people might think. To reapply, you only have to get i think twenty or thirty questions correct, and you're able to look at the manual as you do it. So it's actually it's not that owner. It can be a big tricky if you're not familiar with computers, but otherwise it's it's not too bad, I don't think.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you can have the manual beside you and you can refer to that as you go. Is it timed the questions or you get a certain amount of time on the hour glass per question?
Speaker 13: I think it might be if you take way too long, but you can say that and come back to it. You can. There's no limit to the number of times you do it to pass. And if you're reapplying, if you do get a question wrong, you only have to do that question you've got wrong. Okay, you've got an eighty five percent past mark.
Speaker 3: I think one of our previous callers said in the past it was it was all or bust. But then I think what you're saying, Jordine refers to what someone else said, and that was changed so that you get to reset the specific questions until you get it right.
Speaker 13: That's right, but that's only if you're reapplying and you've got a basic eighty five percent pass mark to get to that point. Interesting, So, yeah, it's actually so Actually I've I didn't think it was all that bad in the end. Well good because and the on that site that you go into the manual is actually a soft copy in front of you, so you can just pull it down as you need it, and even when you get a question wrong, it will tell you which section in the manual you need to go to to get the answer.
Speaker 3: Well, that's that's certainly sounding a lot easier than some others were suggesting. Geraldine. I appreciate your feedback very much. Thank you. One three, one eight seven three. Now before we get to a break, and we'll catch up with a dairy farmer and have a look at what's happening with milk prices and the dairy industry after this. But there was a speaking of sort of food related issues. It's a fascinating story in the UK Telegraph. Over the weekend. They often churn out some doozies the UK Telegraph, and this is top of the pile. According to some academics. Don't roll your eyes yet, the Michel and Restaurant Guide is racist, eurocentric and elitist. Don't these people have anything better to do? So, it says here. The famous guide, first published by the French tire Come copy back in nineteen hundred, now covers more than thirty countries. It's racked up sales of more than thirty million copies. The rating system of stars is often seen as the sort of the krem de la creme for the restaurant industry. But in the most recent version of the Great Britain and Island Guide, and that's got eleven hundred and forty seven restaurants, two hundred and twenty a starred, and there's a Greek one in there. There's an Anglo Thai etery, a Korean restaurant, a couple of West African restaurants in Fitzrovia in London that have been awarded stars. So it's not just all French things, but as it says here. Despite some variety within the guides, critics argue that Michelin's approach is generally parochial and that it ignores huge swathes of the world. Now the average person who might be over in say Europe or something that look, we're going to splash out, We're going to gave a really top notch feed here. Let's have a look at the Michelin Guide. And you know, do you think they give it. They ain't care, it cares, you know. But some academicsio existence. So as it says here, these emissions may be down to racism, also suggests a professor of anthropology, religion, and transnational Studies at Emerson College in Boston. The person is saying, quote, there is no Michelin Guide in India, one of the world's greatest and oldest cuisines, or in Africa, with its multiplicity of cultural flavors, perhaps a side of racism with the berf bourgagnor Nice tribe, but instead of promoting restaurants in other parts of the world. The critics say that the inherently elitist guide for celebrating obscure European gastronomic processes such as fire cooking and Stockholm and molecular gastronomy in Spain. In fact, the academic said, and I quote, despite a movement to decolonize food, did you know about? That? Movement? Hasn't registered in my part of town. Too busy, just trying to pay the bills. Anyway, despite a movement to decolonize food by rethinking colonial legacies of power and the extractive ways of eating, Michelin has delivered its stellar reputation primarily from reviving, reviewing rather metropolitan European cuisine. Anyway, you get these GISTs. Some people reckon the Michelin Guide is racist and eurocentric. Look, it might be eurocentric, but is that a problem? Does that matter? I mean the mischel entire company's French, you know, I mean, cut them some slack. They happen to be European. I'm sure there's a bunch of critics and guides in Africa and Asia and India that do their own thing that probably don't rate too many European restaurants, or restaurants in Australia for that matter. Do we care?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: Who cares? I mean, these people just need to go and actually earn a living, I think, instead of hanging around in the halls of academia churning out that kind of guff. Australia, as you know, is a nation that's been built on farming and for hundreds of years. The fact that the matter is farming, but it for meat or crops or indeed dairy has been the backbone of the nation for a very long time. But for many this reality is something that I think they forget. Some of that note out linked to all sorts of different policies which in turn put farmers under pressure control things like methane production from the animals and sort the whole story gets lost, right, But there is also the issue of cost in farming, because there are often occasions when the local produce is more expensive than what we could purchase from overseas. But at the end of the day, we need local farmers to keep the economy running and our sovereignty guaranteed. Now the backbone of all of them, of of course, the dairy farmers, but they're under a lot of pressure at the moment, with dairy companies across the country reportedly announcing their latest farm gate milk prices. Now generally speaking, across the board, these companies have announced slight increases to the price this is the minimum price, but they pale in comparison to the increased cost of production at the farm gate. Now the story doesn't apply to all farmers. Some farmers have got a pretty good deal and they're not in the middle of drought, and there's good production and everything on their patch. But you go fifty or sixty kilometers in another direction, and it's a different story. I wanted to speak to a dairy farmer who understands all of this. Phil Ryan is his name. He runs Hillgrove Dairy. It's in the Bega Valley. He's on the line with me. Now, Phil, thanks for your time this afternoon.
Speaker 14: Now, good afternoons, pleasure.
Speaker 3: You've got pretty good green pasture there. I think at the moment you've had some rain. The Bega Valley generally speaking, is doing okay. But you're very aware. I know of the fact that for many other people who do your line of work in other parts of the country, it's a very different story.
Speaker 14: Absolutely on both counts. We do have pretty well an ideal season here in Beger at the moment, but many of my colleagues are suffering really badly with drought, in Western Victoria, Victoria, generally in South Australia, even Tasmania, and then pretty much everyone listening is probably well aware of the floods on the mid North Coast.
Speaker 3: Indeed, so you're obviously being in the Biga Valley, you're dealing with the bigger company, and there is a benefit for being so close to the buyer as it were. I think I read in the fin review they're proposing a minimum price of ten dollars and forty cents per kilogram of milk solids. But that's a pretty generous price compared to what others are getting into state.
Speaker 14: That is true, we're well positioned for supplying a cheese manufacturer, and our colleagues in Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania would be thinking their prices well short of what they need in current conditions. And then our fresh milk suppliers further north are being paid more again for getting that fresh milk into Sydney and Brisbane. But once again they'd be probably suggesting that the price they're receiving isn't keeping up with the conditions that they're facing.
Speaker 3: These are just numbers, right, So other farmers are being off at eight dollars sixty. I think by Fonterra is the sort of the opening milk price you can negotiate, right, so you can go up from there. That's the base, I think, But I mean, how frequently does the price rocket north of the base.
Speaker 14: I don't think I've ever seen it rocket, nor that price of Fonterras will not be competitive and they will have to increase the price they offer. We're seeing prices around the nine dollars a kilo mark in their sort of supply area, but once again that's probably short of where it needs to be. Fonterra are paying their dairy farmers in New Zealand the price of ten dollars a kilo New Zealand, which equates to about nine dollars twenty five after exchange, and I suggest that's the minimum our dairy farmers want to see as a price signal for them being appropriately valued, and even a little bit more than that would be good.
Speaker 3: However, these stories come to light, and they do on a cyclical basis, and the city wakes up to the fact that being a dairy farmers not about making rivers of gold, can be very difficult. The old debate about deregulation comes forward. Some say it, oh, it was better in the old days when we're all sort of individuals, and now others say no, no, no, there's strength in the collective. What's your take on the deregulation debate all these years on.
Speaker 14: It's definitely been challenging for farmers. That's demonstrated by the fall in the amount of milk we've produced and the number of farmers supplying that milk. There are elements of competition that I think are very very good for the economy and society generally, but we struggle in Australia with a heavily dominated domestic supermarket industry, and we saw Coles, Wilworth and now the reduce the price of freshmen last year when there's no way that price should have been going down, and if they were serious in responding to the needs of farmers, they would be increasing that price and passing it on immediately and it should never be going backwards. Farmers are, particularly dairy farmers, who operate relatively high volume, low margin businesses. We are arguably more exposed to inflationary pressures and input costs than the most businesses, and we have very little control over the price we sell our product for, and that is an issue as well as the extreme climatic pressures that we're seeing in parts of the country.
Speaker 3: You've got precious left, right and center. This is what some people, I guess don't understand. You've got the vagaries of mother nature and there's nothing you can do about that. But you face record costs. The electricity prices at the moment particularly must be staggering. In some cases. We discussed water shortages, so people are buying in water, they're buying in feed. There's intense financial pressure across the board. And of course dairy farming is a three sixty five day a year, twenty four to seven operation. The herd has to be milked twice a day. The average farmer is getting older. A lot of these metrics are pointing in the wrong direction for a healthy future.
Speaker 14: And that's where we'd be looking for price signals from our processes, supermarkets and indeed support from consumers to make sure that the Australian dairy industry continues to be able to supply the fresh, nutritious dairy products that we do now into the future with an increasing population, and that's looking a little bit unlikely the way things are heading.
Speaker 3: Soil paint a picture here for our city listeners. Let's say farmers like you just can't go on, or the next generation don't want to do it because they see how tough it is and how challenging it is even in good seasons. To make a quid, what does the availability of dairy Australian dairy look like in thirty years time.
Speaker 14: It involves trucks moving fresh milk around the country a lot more so, increase costs, increase carbon footprint if you will, And it probably involves the continued rise in imports of butter and cheese and other sort of more transportable dairy products. And in an extreme sort of scenario, it may mean long life milk is common in parts of Europe and other places instead of the fresh milk that we enjoy in Australia.
Speaker 3: Uh yep, right. So in the city a lot of people today public holiday. Of course, people will be going to the cafes if they're open, having their whatever lattes. Of course Australian milk. The basis of all of that, what's your message of the city for I hear all of this and say, look, we want to help, but we go to the supermarket to buy the milk because there's very little other places available where we can get it. So what's the message to the city folk, who has the spending power that in many respects decides a lot of this. What can we do?
Speaker 14: The first thing is probably grab an extra serve of a dairy product, an Australian dairy product, and that probably saves you from trying to worry about which brand you're purchasing. Just look for an Australian made one, because that will be milt from Australian dairy farmers, and that extra server yogurt, that extra ice cream or whatever it is is increasing the demand and the value of our industry. Then you're looking at which brands you purchase, and that is a complicated one. But again, if it's Australian made, it's supporting Australian farmers. Australian owned becomes a bit more complicated because several of our large processes in the country are foreign owned, but they're still using milk from Australian farmers, So sort of it is a challenge to pick the right brands, but one of the easiest ones would be Narco which is a farmer own cooperative on the North Coast and Queensland and their farmers have been in particular hit very hard by the floods and wet conditions up there. So if you've got access to that one. Obviously I'm a bigger supplier and bias towards bigger and dairy farmers, but generally any Australian made dairy product is supporting Australian farmers.
Speaker 3: I've got a couple of leaders in Norco and the Fridge actually, so I've done the right thing. Thankfully. I'm glad having spoken with you, Phil. I very much appreciate your time, all strength to your arm and indeed all of those are the dairy farmers, the backbone of the economy for many of us. Thank you, Phil, look.
Speaker 14: At pleasure and I appreciate the interest in what we're going through and the value of.
Speaker 3: The products produce anytime. Wonderful to speak Phil Ryan, a dairy farmer. Then in the Beaga Valley across the country there does seem to be a shortage of jps and the average JP is getting older now a bit like with the dairy farmer's story before the news. If those trends continue, We've got a bit of an issue. So what is involved in being a JP? How does one qualify to be a JP? Are there certain professions that are more likely to be represented among the ranks of the JPS than others? And what is it with this retesting that a number of view of raised has been a bit of an issue. Well, Merril Kane's the person to speak with. She's the vice president of the New South Wales Justices Association and she's with me on the line. Merrill, you're a good person doing this on a public holiday. Thank you for your time.
Speaker 15: Thank you, Michael. I'm very happy to be here.
Speaker 3: No rest for the JPS, you see, that's the message I'm sort of getting now. My late father was a JP. He was a teacher, and I might be wrong, but I sort of got the impression that a lot of teachers almost automatically rolled into being JPS once upon a time. Is that true or would he have had to have gone through some process at that time?
Speaker 15: He may well have, you know, if it was more than about five or six years ago, he could have would wouldn't have rolled in, but it would have been a very likely and easy candidate to become a JP. Most of our jps are people who've worked in a sort of customer service or with people and like to help, you know, enjoy helping people, and so there's a sort of people that do become jps. But nowadays it is a little bit more formal. You do have to register well, put in an application to become a JP, which you can do online, as so many things he's done, And there is, as you said, that you do have to sort of prove you're a person of good character and that you're not likely to be corrupted. So you have a police check and you can't be an unm what's the word. You can't have had bankruptcy issues or something like that. But there is also now a knowledge test, which is what you also raised about. I think it was probably about six years ago now a knowledge test came in for jps. And because you know it, it's a sort of thing when you it's not just a matter of you know, witnessing a signature. There are proper ways to do things, and for example, if you were witnessing a statutory deck cloration or a Afford David, there are in fact thirteen steps to be followed, so you need to do that properly, and you need to know that the client we call them clients, they're not customers, needs to be reassured that you know what you're doing. And therefore the Department of Communities and Justice brought in this knowledge test. Yes, put a few people off, but let's face it, from the public point of view, we want these people to know what they're doing and to be assured that they do know what they're doing.
Speaker 3: I understand that somebody earlier who seemed to have a I guess was originally termed a lifetime JP license, if I can put it that way. I think I got their nose a bit out of joint when they then had to go through the process, having been effectively told years ago, no, you do this once and you've got it for life. I wonder if a few people have communicated that annoyance.
Speaker 15: Well, that goes back a long time, actually, But yes, at one time jps were appointed for life. But again, this is not the way life is these days. And I think it was, Oh, I can't remember exactly the timing, but a good twenty five thirty years ago. The now, I can't remember exactly, but what was then the Department of Justice, I think reissued appointment and they just think that they had a lot of people on their books who no longer wanted to be act as jps, or they might have even died or moved away, or they couldn't find them, so they decided to re issue the appointments of JP's and the appointment now lasts for five years.
Speaker 3: Okay. Now, the title itself justice of the Peace, I mean it sounds almost feudal or something right from Middle Ages. It's so, I mean, where does that actually come from? A justice of the peace, because you're not out there maintaining law and order in the sense of the word piece. So do we know where that has its origins?
Speaker 15: Look, I was looking back on some of the history and while we're talking, I'm reaching for the bit of paper that I had. But it goes back to Richard the lion Heart. If you really want to go back to the beginning, we were appointed magistrates or justices to keep the peace in local areas. It goes back that far and they you know, then you know legal Over time, the legal process became much more formalized and training was much better, and the appointment of judges and magistrates was much more not constricted but controlled, and Justice of the peace the term is still used. In fact, our first Justice of the Peace in Australia was Governor Phillips, so we go that far and then he appointed people to assist with legal matters and that's really what we still do. We're not lawyers. We can't give legal advice. But if you need someone who is proven to be of good repute and to witness a document or certify that a document is a true copy of the original, for example booth steps and marriages certificates. It's often needed these days for people who are applying for jobs and they need certified copy to submit to the people that they're applying to. And you don't want to give original documents and they don't want to have to deal with it.
Speaker 3: No, obviously, No. I mean the reason we're speaking. I saw a story of the ABC based out of Victoria, and I know it's not a fact similar to what's happening in New South Wales necessarily, but I mean they're rapidly popular, growing population six and a half million people now in Victoria and there's less than three thousand, less than four thousand jps to service six and a half million people in Rising. It does seem the average age of the JP is increasing demographically. I guess something's going to have to be done to rectify that, because the JP's will be run off their feet.
Speaker 15: It's true, we're not is quite in that situation. In New South Wales we have at the moment a total of about sixty sixty four sixty five thousand jps. But we've got a bigger state population and we've got a bigger spread of countryside where those You know, if you're in Deniloquent and leader JP, it might be a lot harder than if you're in Bondi. But we are always looking for jps. I mean by the very nature of the job, and by law we are not allowed to be paid. So this is purely a voluntary job. And it is a job that, as you said, your father having been a school teacher, when he retired he became a JP. In fact, I was a pharmacist and when I retired I became a JP. So it's often a position that people take on in semi in retirement or semi retirement, and therefore your your life to continue to do that, your work is your you know the third age of working it is, you know, we can't keep going forever. It needs to continuing turnover of people.
Speaker 3: Really, it does just those listening that might be sort of saying, well, maybe I could do this, go through the process. How do they apply?
Speaker 9: It's very easy.
Speaker 15: In fact, most people these days have access to a computer or even you know as a computer in your phone. You're register with the Department of Communities and Justice an answer a lot of questions. It needs your state MP to support your application, but that's pretty much automatic. They will ask for permission to check out that you don't have the department that is that you don't have any criminal history, and you do this online test and that's an open book exam, so it's not really that challenging because if you don't know the answer, you can look it up.
Speaker 3: If only that were the case in the HS, life would win a lot easier for me.
Speaker 15: Well, that's what we would rather people got it right than get You do have to get one hundred percent right, but you do have a chance to look it up and take your time and think about it, because that's what we have to do when we're sitting on a JP desk or we have a client who was in front of us from what in one sense or another.
Speaker 3: And you would have access to those materials in those circumstances. I'm glad we spoke. We've clarified a few things there, Marylyn, and maybe, just maybe it's going to spur a few people into this form of service. Thank you for your time.
Speaker 15: Thank you, and I hope we do because it is a very rewarding thing to feel that you have helped someone in a time of well, I won't say crisis, but certainly tension.
Speaker 3: Indeed, wonderful to speak Merril Kane, as I said, the vice president of the New South Wales Justices Association, and an interesting insight there into the realm of the JP. It's twenty four past one, fingers crossed for the tech. It's twenty seven past one. Thank you for being with us. Don't forget drive with James Ward this week after the news. So if you've got a question about your motor vehicle one three, one eight seven three, particularly about one you might be considering buying, a lot of people do use the drive segment to sussep whether they should get the Iondai or the Mazda or whatever. It is, or maybe the thinking, well, I want to get a car for the young one, but not sure what the best one in this price bracket is. These are the sort of questions the drive boys are particularly well versed in answering. So if you've got a question down those paths or any other path really to do with motoring one three, one, eight, seven, three, and we'll be able to get that answered for you. I hope the team will look before we get to the news, though, what about this? I let me just have to die. I appreciate the NDIS is a very very important vehicle in the broader scheme of things, very important. The principle of it is right. The practice of it, though, I think, is sorely missing. I just struggle to believe, as the headlines say today that one in ten young children in Australia are using the NDIS. One in ten. Really, let me just think about that one in ten young children in Australia are now on the NDIS. Now, that statistic is in in some ways misleading because when you look at young boys and I'm just trying to find the exact figure here, it is well under fifteen's now make up seventy percent of the scheme's new participants, So seventy percent of the new participants filing into the ends fifteen years and younger. Fifteen percent of Australian six year old boys are on the ndis fifteen percent of boys six years old. How's that possible? And the reason I ask that is, I mean, well, you know what's going on a lot of the cases being put into it lately have been children with autism or diagnosed with I think as at stage two autism. I think that's the threshold you have to meet from memory. And there's some serious questions about whether some of these diagnoses are genuine or not. Not all, of course, but some, and that's worthy of discussion. But it does seem that one of the issues here is that a lot of people have been put into or onto the NDIS because there are not equivalent state based interventions that can be accessed. It's sort of NDS or bust, that seems to be the situation. So a lot of parents are saying, well, look, the child has to get on the NDS because if they don't, there's no support for whatever the condition happens to be. At any other level. Whatever support is there is just so mediocre you don't bother. That seems to be part of the issue. So look what's going on. I don't know, you know, the sort of people patting themselves on the back saying, oh, we've got the growth rate down. Yeah, well it's down to I think ten point six percent. Now, any government program growing it over three or four percent perandom is unsustainable. Ten point six percent, that's down from about thirteen. So, I mean they are there's a slight step in the right direction, but everywhere you look, I just I just don't understand how we've got to this point now. Surely, when the NDS was first in visged and sold to the public, I think it was Jenny Macklin and Julia Gillard and others, that Nicola Roxon might have been involved. I'm not anyway all of that.
Speaker 16: It was.
Speaker 3: It was that the most disabled would be given protection and care, and there was a sub narrative to it that if we could empower some of these people, we would lift national productivity because we would give them the right support that in some circumstances they could get into the workforce. Well, that doesn't seem to be happening, and I don't think anybody would have in any way envisaged that we now have. And I'm just trying to find the exact number here. It is seven hundred and seventeen thousand people according to the last quarter's numbers on the NDIS and growing seven hundred and seventeen thousand when the initial reports and Productivity Commission reviews and all of those forecasts that had thing like that. So we've just blown all of the initial estimates out of the water, and it's continuing to grow at a very unsustainable rate, although a tad slower than what I guess moment says the worst case scenario. No, I'm not saying people shouldn't be getting access, that they don't qualify, that they should be denied, none of that. But we seriously have to consider this. I mean, it is going to be unfundable going forward if we keep going at this rate. And I worry about so many young people, young boys, particularly being associated with the NDIS. I mean, are we sure, Are we certain that in the vast majority of cases they really should qualify, And if not, are we doing them a service or a disservice by gaining for their parents anyway access to some of the services available. I mean, these are questions, hard questions, but they do have to be discussed and debated in this country. I think one three, one eight seven three. All right, let's go to the news room. I think we've got all the tech. Kremlin sworded which helps Aeron Margot.
Speaker 16: After that, good afternoon. Michael nine news correspondent Lauren Tomasi says she's fine after being shot in the lab with a rubber bullet while covering the riots in Los Angeles, where there's been a third day of protests. There are real concerns for a whale which is heading south instead of north. It's become entangled in twenty meters of rope, and a boy expert say it's in distress and needs to be cut free. Israeli forces have boarded and stopped at gas Abound AID boat carrying Greta Tumberg and other activists. They say those on board will be provided with sandwiches and water, then return to their home countries. And a runaway pet zebra, which has been on the loose for more than a week in the US, has been found and captured. Ed had to be airlifted to safety in Sport. The bulldogs are looking to return to the top of the inner A ladder when they take on the Eels in front of seventy thousand fans this afternoon. Young Gunlucky Galvin could make his deboo after a messy exit from the Tigers. He's been named on the interchange bench. And there'll be more news at two o'clock on afternoons.
Speaker 1: Oh where they're up date, we'll be here to help in unexpected weather. Nrimain Insurance a help company.
Speaker 3: Well, they are forecasting a possible shower today top of just fifteen in the city. The medium chance of showers most likely from the late morning now. I don't think we've seen them, not in this part of Sydney anyway, so if they are coming, they're still on the way. Penrith should be largely dry, but a top of fifteen Liverpool and Terry Hills might have a couple of drops. Terry Hills just a top of thirteen today it's pretty could Bondai fifteen, Campbelltown, Paramatta fourteen, Richmond fifteen Tomorrow sunny in eighteen. That's a bit of a change, isn't it, and then mostly sunny for Wednesday. A top of eighteen for the city Candra today, good to have you with two double c shower or two top of eleven Tugnong's the same morning frost and a partly cloudy fourteen on Tuesday. Wednesday somewhere between minus one and positive thirteen depending on the sundial morning frost and then partly cloudy Lithgo well a max of just six Today. Showers or snow at times, and you don't see the snow symbol too often, but there is orange. Will see some snow on a top of just five mudgie more likely I think rain or that it's very hard to do. That could be little snowflakes top of nine bathist eight, So I said, Lythgo six, Katombus seven, Springwood thirteen cloudy and top of nine on Tuesday for Lyfthgo very similar story. On Wednesday. You might be listening in some areas that get a little dusting of the white stuff. You can give us a call and let us know how beautiful. I think really have said this before, but it's true. There are lots of places around the world to get snow. Yeah, the Alps in these sort of areas in Europe, and they've got the pine trees and it all looks very pretty and nice. But when the white stuff falls on the Australian native bush, I think it's particularly beautiful. There's just something about the eucalypse and those native shrubs and the rocky outcrops and whatever that's sort of endemic to Australia. And then having a dusting of snow that maybe because it's so rare and unexpected, I don't know, but particularly I think appealing and aesthetic about that. Anyway, enough of my musings will take a break when we come back. Let's get in the motor vehicle and we'll talk Drive.
Speaker 1: Now on afternoons.
Speaker 3: Drive all right, let's catch up with James Ward, who's powering away on a public holiday Monday from drive dot com. Dot you you're a trooper? Gooday, James?
Speaker 17: Good hey mate?
Speaker 15: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm all right? I mean to the irony is a lot of people have the day off, but the roads in some cases have never been busy because everyone's coming back into the town after being away for a few nights or whatever. It is a lot of people will be listening to us in the car note out seeing a sea of red tail lights. That'll be experienced in many many places now the saxicalls coming through, I wanted to raise with you. I saw a Genesis on the road the other day, four wheel drive as sorts, very very sixy looking rear, if I can put it that way.
Speaker 18: Yeah, they are looking a good looking rooster as they say, the Genesis this is and for people who don't know, this Islexus, the Lexus of Hyundai. So where Toyota has Lexus as a premium brand, Hyundai has Genesis and yeah they are they're pretty funky and inside that that design really continues, so definitely a special car. We get a lot of people thinking it's an Aston Martin or a Bentley because of some of the signage.
Speaker 17: And things, which is not a bad way to be confused.
Speaker 3: They wouldn't have been copying, would they.
Speaker 18: Well, look, you know, if you've got to if you've got to design influenced by something, why not why not start at the top.
Speaker 3: Yeah, quite, that's it, I think. So now car brands left, right and center are dropping offerings from their lineup. So what's happening with Mini?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 18: So look it's it's something very traditional Mini, the the well the English now German sports car, well sporting little little Hatch is losing its manual transmission.
Speaker 17: It's something that we've found.
Speaker 18: When the BMW owned Mini, the New Mini was first launched, it was only available with a manual. But now they've been gradually removing them from various options. It used to be just the s, then just the John Cooper Works versions. Now none of them get it because no one's ordering them. For a start, you've got a whole new generation of drivers who don't know how to drive a manual for a second thing, but also a manual is not as efficient as an automatic.
Speaker 17: It's not as fast as an automatic.
Speaker 18: And you've got some pretty clever gearboxes that BMW Mini are putting in these cars.
Speaker 17: They can be quite fun to drive.
Speaker 18: Sadly, the manuals just not worth investing in and continuing on with, so they're going to drop the manual.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's a question for you. Why when you go to Europe and you hire a car as I do every time because I like driving around and going to the little town something. Why are the automatics always more expensive to higher than the manuals? Is just because manuals still dominate in Europe? Or what's the story?
Speaker 17: No, Well, it's kind of a look.
Speaker 18: It used to be that way that you would a manual would be a cheaper car, and thus, you know, to get the automatic would be you'd be renting.
Speaker 17: A more expensive car.
Speaker 18: That's not the case these days, so it's kind of an old higher car trope, like you'll pay more for that, so you know, mister Hurts has to keep keep food on the table. But it used to be one of these things that my young daughter's learning to drive, and she said, she doesn't want to learn to drive a manual, And I said, but what if you travel to Europe to rent a car, they're all manual over there, hot tip, They're not. They're mostly automatic. And that's that's kind of the state of the world. So manual will start to be enthusiast. Only we know Porsche or persisting with it. We know some parts of BMW they're trying to but for the most part it will be phased out.
Speaker 3: Okay, I know nothing about what happens under bonnets and whatever. Is there a challenge with an electric vehicle and a manual gearbox?
Speaker 18: Yes, because you're not really changing gears with an electric car, because it's not really a gearbox you've got like the electric motor, and you've got a drive unit that's basically simulating gears and simulating the way that that feels. But it's essentially throttling the electric motor through just power delivery rather than even gearing.
Speaker 3: Okay, I was onto something there.
Speaker 18: It was it's like the idea of you know, charging for emails rather than you know, well, if you've got to put a postage stamp on regular mail, surely we could put a stamp on emails. That's where we are with with manuals and electric cars.
Speaker 17: It just it just won't.
Speaker 18: It doesn't doesn't match, and sadly it will start to phase out.
Speaker 3: All right, calls Phil's been waiting.
Speaker 12: High Phil, Good Lauria'm a good afternoon, gentlemen. Just speaking about manual and automatic. There was a piece shop that got raided. They stole the owner's keys and raced out. So I got in his car, a manual couldn't drive it.
Speaker 18: Well, we do say this if you if you want to protect your car, the best way to do it from from miscreant youth is to have a manual transmission, because none of them know how to drive.
Speaker 3: It's a question.
Speaker 12: I've got a mits to Mitchie Bajero, which is five years old. I looked at other cars and I really hate all this automatic stuff. I hate tact that you haven't got a key. I hate the fact that it tells you.
Speaker 8: How to drive.
Speaker 12: I hate the fact that it tries to push you into lanes. There's just really annoying. The cars are made for people who can't drive. I'm just wondering, is it worthwhile getting the timing chain redone and completely drive the car, or is it worthwhile getting rid of it and getting something I don't like?
Speaker 18: Look, honestly, because it's you behind the wheel, I would invest in getting the Pagero's engine rebuilt and give it another quarter of a million kilometers on that. There are a great car, the Pagero's. They're very capable. Because you've got all the things you like in that car, You're just not going to get it in anything else. The most old school new car you can buy these days is either a seventy series Toyota land Cruiser or the Innios Grenadier, and one of them is basically a look it's a nineteen eighties relic that's kind of.
Speaker 17: Masquerading is a bit of an icon.
Speaker 18: Some people love them, but they're pretty rudimentary, And the Granadier is a pretty expensive proposition. It's like a flashy pair of gun but it's very cool, but it's probably not at the right end. I would reinvest in the Pagero and have the car you love, because, yeah, driver assistance and modern technology is just everywhere.
Speaker 3: Now, all right, good on your feel From Phil to John. Hello John, Oh yeah, good mate.
Speaker 7: I'm ringing up about two cars. The Toyota G four.
Speaker 9: What do you think of a mate?
Speaker 17: The G four, which I.
Speaker 5: Think it's the g it's sixty thousand. The Toyota is a sporty looking thing.
Speaker 17: Oh, the GR the GR.
Speaker 18: So you've got a GR Yarrisson, You've got a GR Corolla.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 18: So the GR stands for Gazoo Racing, which is Toyota's performance arm. And you can get a sporty Corolla, which feels like an oxymoron, and you can get a sporty Yarras. They are both an absolute hoot, really good fun kind of the things to drive. It kind of like a Golf GTI but a Toyota. It's still very Toyota at the base level. But that GR Corolla particularly Yeah, it's a load of fun. And if that's what you're after, you get Toyota reliability with a big smile on your face.
Speaker 17: So that's nice blend.
Speaker 3: Nice. Okay, Well, I'm john SONIL. Good afternoon Sonil.
Speaker 19: Yeah, Hi, thanks for taking like auto. I've got a Tona Highlander twenty model.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 19: I was looking at the Cherry twenty twenty four. Should I flop it or should I just stick with the Highlander?
Speaker 18: Look, the Cherries are actually a pretty impressive value proposition. You've got, I think the basic one, the Tigo four starts at like twenty four thousand dollars, so you get a lot of car for your money with the Cherry. The other one to look at might be Cherry's fancy brand. Like at the top of the show we talked about Genesis being the premium brand of Herendai, if it's even possible, there is a premium brand of Cherry called Jaku, which again still very value oriented.
Speaker 17: Quite a nice little car, and I just drove.
Speaker 18: The They've got a plug in hybrid that can do over one thousand k so I did about eleven hundred k's on a tank driving from Melbourne to Sydney, so really effortless efficiency and it allows you to drive fully electric if you really want to. But you've got that range capability in that car with petrol engine, So maybe look at that as something a bit interesting. Because the Highland is a nice spec car. You're getting a lot of equipment with it. Maybe look at the Jacu as well as the as the Cherry.
Speaker 3: Got on you. So, Neil, good question. Paul on the Tech says he's got a Pajero, got six hundred thousand out of it before a rebuild.
Speaker 18: This is it, like you know, they don't make them what they used to. So I really think to reinvest into the PADJ to get it. If it's going to be a couple of grand to get that engine rebuilt to give it some more life and it does everything you want, that's probably not a bad not a bad way to go.
Speaker 3: All right now, Charlie, you haven't seen the name Datson for a while. Hello, Charlie Good. Yeah, what's the question?
Speaker 5: Misson Z three hundred?
Speaker 7: Yes, sports car to.
Speaker 18: So good fun and you've got so you've got there's now the four hundred, so it's just called the Nissan Z. Then previously there was a three point fifty, then a three seventy because it was going with a three point five and a three point seven.
Speaker 17: They're really good fun. The new one, the four hundred, It really.
Speaker 18: Is a cool looking car, lots of fun to drive, a little bit old school in the way that it feels so, and I think Niss and there were always pretty keen to do a good deal on one of those. So yeah, a really really cool looking, head turning, fun car to drive, and you get a ten year warranting, which is not a bad thing.
Speaker 3: I got on you, Charlie. Up here it said dats in three oh seven Z so is that is that the same thing as well?
Speaker 18: Datson Datson was obviously niss and before this and became this and that was the previous brand, and they had the member they launched I think with the two six two forty, then the two sixty. Yes, then there was a two to eighty z X. Then there were a couple of three hundred zx's with the target top roof and all that kind of stuff. But the modern ones, yeah, launched as the three point fifty was the first modern Z car improved in the three seventy, but now it is a four hundred, but it's just called the this and Z.
Speaker 3: There you go. Okay, thank you, Charlie. Now hang on there for a moment. James Texas coming in here from Michelle says, currently standing still on the N one traffic heading southbound, just after Pete's rejects it. Where texting is? There? Really isn't much else to do there, haven't we? Just? It's ten to two more after this. A man in high demand is mister James Ward from drive dot com Dot you a few more minutes here, Let's get through as many as we can. Chris, what's your question for James?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 20: There, Hi, I've got an eighties the very last of the eighty series land Cruises. Yes, and it has a beautiful it's just incredible and it's also been adjusted a lot for super climbing stuff. But it's got a petrol engine. The petrol engine is beautiful, but it uses petrol. Yeah, I'm wondering is it possible to change that to a diesel or have you got to change the automatic transmission as well?
Speaker 18: Look, the engine swaps on the land Cruises pretty much. If you can think of an option, somebody has already done it.
Speaker 17: So have a look.
Speaker 18: Online to see some of the land cruiser owner groups to see where it is swapping the petrol to the diesel. Yeah, look, I'm sure there will be plenty of specialist workshops who have done this before and we'll basically be able to do that relatively easy for you. So you do have a look online and see. But I don't know if you need to change the transmission as well, but that's kind of getting down a very technical rabbit hole on a specific level. But being a land cruiser, there will be someone, So maybe check out some online whether their Facebook groups are online clubs, to see if any land cruise or owners have been down this path before.
Speaker 3: Okay, there you go, Chris. Now you've come across a little story here that in Mexico the police over there are now changing what the entire fleet is it to the BYD Shark six.
Speaker 18: Yes, so yeah, we're seeing a lot of the BYD Shark on the road here. Now this is the plug in hybrid use so it was the first plug in hybrid to launch. We've now got a I think there's a GWM Canon Alpha that's to plug in. But the Shark is is kind of cool, but it is actually.
Speaker 17: Built in Mexico.
Speaker 18: So this is a local car for them, and they've moved it to their police fleet. And look, if you watch the news or any number of Hollywood movies, you see the poor old Mexican blize.
Speaker 17: Get a pretty.
Speaker 18: Tough time over there. So what you see them is they ride around in the back of these things holding onto roll bars.
Speaker 17: And in the story.
Speaker 18: We've got some photos of the Mexican speck sharks there. But yeah, look, it's interesting to move to the smaller Shark when you consider most of the American pickups that they would be using, a Ford F Series or the Chevy Silverado.
Speaker 17: They're a bigger vehicle.
Speaker 18: So the Shark is a bit smaller, but it's pretty pretty powerful. We know it's over three hundred killoots when you're getting the power delivery from the electric and petrol engine at the same time. It's quite an interesting one, but a very handy contract for bid to have won there in the US too, well in Mexico. Sorry to see that. Yeah, the Shark on the road policing the nation.
Speaker 3: Indeed, all right, well, they'll have their work cut out for them. James, great to speak. Thank you for fronting up on the public holiday, and we'll speak again very shortly.
Speaker 17: Always a pleasure to talk scene all the best.
Speaker 3: James Warred there from Drive.
Speaker 2: Now onto gb Network stations. Back to afternoons with Michael McLaren.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you. Into the third hour we go, Jee, it's gone fast already today, so much feedback. I thought public Holiday Monday, it's cold, it'd be really quiet and we just sort of plod along and get through. But it's been incredibly busy. We'll keep it going for the next fifty or say minutes one, three, one, eight seven three. I'll catch up with Mark Leevy shortly. Mark just never stops, is the energizer Bunny. He'll be out at the Olympic Stadium, big football match this afternoon, and there will be a bit of traffic chaos, i'd imagine come six or seven o'clock there as people leave because others will be coming in for this Katie Perry concert, so it'll be be a nice place to avoid if you don't have to be there, I suppose later in the day I will also catch up with one of our latest recipients of the Order of Australia, Roger Franz and extraordinary human being. You probably haven't heard the name. But that's why these awards, the King's Birthday honors are important because, as said at the top of the show, you can elevate people that don't have the platform but have done incredible work in whatever field is their chosen field of expertise, and where we can learn about them, we can learn about why what they do is important for the economy, for the country. And the work that Roger has done in space and in engineering is vital and it's not just sort of esoterical theoretical. We are using all of these things that he has worked on in applications in our everyday life. They're tangible. We may not appreciate it or understand it, but Roger will explain some of that for us. Look for to speaking with him. I'm told he's a real gentleman later in the hour, So stay with us. Track of the day. Everything else coming up as well. One three, one, eight, seven three. As I said, we've got a few more updates about Greta and friends on this boat heading to Israel. They've been intercepted them in given sandwiches or something like that. They'll be sent on their way. They won't make it, but the Swedish climate campaigner and a bunch of others on this vessel have also before they are turned around, I believe will also be shown a forty five minute video of the October seven massacre. Once they arrive at the port of ash Dodd. The Australian will, via the AFP reporting of the Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz has told the military which is towing the vessel they're on the mad Leen to Israel, to screen this so I'll get a bit of a different perspective, perhaps about the whole situation from October seven, twenty twenty three. Now, I don't pretend that that is an isolated incident. This is an ongoing geopolitical situation in that part of the world that goes right back to the foundation of the state of Israel. But there are some people, because perhaps they want to ignorantly be blind to the whole story, are just looking at tiny little slithers of that narrative, of that historical narrative, and selecting which ones they want to read and learn about and which ones they want to ignore. Now, I mean Greta's sort of pivoted here from Darling of the Climate Cause to the darling of the gars Are cause, as it were. But you know, whether anybody on the ground in Gaza knows that she's coming is anybody's guess. And of course she won't make it, nor will the supplies that were on the boat. I think they left Sicily on Friday from memory and the you know, they were heading eastern. They've been intercepted and the rest of it. So that'll be the end of that story for now. But you know, there's a part of me that the cynical part that says, you know, how much of this is actually about the activists as opposed to the cause. You know, is there not more than just a whiff of narcissism about the way they do these things? Okay, they drum up attention, and that's what they want. They want the state of Israel to look horrible. You know, they're denying these people food and medicine and oh here we are riding in to help people. And okay, but the way you deal with these complicated situations, if you have some clout, and Greta for good or for bad, has clout at the United Nations and the diplomatic level, the way you deal with these things isn't to hop on a boat and sail east and sort of wave your arms around as the cameras come within shot. The way to do it is behind the scenes, diplomatically. You do it quietly and you work to get the end result that you apparently desire. So obviously that's not worked, and Grea will be heading back to Sweden at some point now just on the climate issue, not trying to pivot deliberately here, but as way of a segue, there's a fascinating piece by Nick Toscano and The Herald. Now many people probably haven't seen it, but it is a bit of a wake up call in the realism that is required with this transition as we verbert to renewable energy. Now, Australia, as I keep saying, is trying to do what no other continent is attempting to do. Power the entire joint on solar and wind with some bactory backup and hydro, but we have limited hydro capacity because of our topography. Gas will be in the mix as the savior. But of course you've got a lot of state jurisdictions that are trying to stop gas extraction, and so whether it's going to be available and the volumes required is anybody's guess. I mean, at the moment, I doubt SOUL is producing too much across part of Greater Sydney. For example, the wind turbines with the snowy conditions, I'm not sure what they're doing. So you've got to have a reliable backup now. As Nick Toscano reports, this isn't used to some of the big energy users. We're used to talk about aluminium smelters near Tomicgo in these sort of places, blue Scope Steel. They remain big users. But for the economy that is coming, it will be the data centers that are the hungry beasts on the energy Pie and microstoft, Google, Amazon. They understand this because they are the users. Now, as He's writes, these three big players are urging the Albanezy government to beat up the delivery of energy storage projects that can guarantee around the clock power for the data centers. Now they've had to do this because the coalition were trounced and so nuclear isn't going to be part of the mix, at least for the next three years, if ever. So a boom in the number of these data centers right around the world but it's happening here. Certainly a lot out at mcquarie Park, and there's a few starting to pop up I think around Gore Hill. These loom as one of the next tests for Australia's shift from coal to renewables, because renewables aren't reliable, and that is the data centers require huge amounts of power to run and to keep cool, meaning there's extra strain on the grid. You know, forget all these electric vehicles are going to have to be charged. These things, as I said, are going to be very thirsty for juice. Twenty four seven. Now, Microsoft, Google and Amazon are among a group of industrial power users and clean energy developers stepping up their calls to the federal government for not just an ambitious renew wall target, you know, eighty two percent of the grid and they support all that sort of stuff, but one that simultaneously fast tracks projects with the capacity to store surplus power from the growing number of solar panels of wind turbines to cover the gaps when it's not sunny or windy. Now, if they can achieve that, it'll be in everyone's best interests because the same deficits that threaten the data centers threaten us in the broader economy when we go to turn on the lights. Now they've apparently written a letter to the Energy Minister, Chris Bowen. I hope it was all very simple English and the international group known as the Long Duration Energy Storage Council, it is warning that a renewable grid is quite only as strong as its ability to deliver power when and where it's needed. That's a convoluted way of saying reliability is key. Now Microsoft and other technology companies in the United States, and you've probably heard about this, are increasingly turning to nuclear power. And they're doing that so that they can meet their dual objectives simultaneously. One to have net zero electricity, but two to make sure that twenty four to seven electricity is available. Now nuclear can do that, renewables can't on their own. They need secondary technologies and Facebook and Instagram's parent company, that's Meta. Last week, it says here assigned a twenty year deal to secure a nuclear power to help meet surging demand for AI and to United Nations report out. Just in fact, last Thursday, set electricity consumption by data centers increased twelve percent and has done each year twelve percent from twenty seventy to twenty twenty three, four times faster than the generic global electricity growth. So now I guess you'd say, dear, I say, using the pun, they're at the coal face, these people minus the coal, and they are saying, you know, it's all well good to have these renewable targets, folks, but you've got to be able to back it up with a reliability capacity. I keep saying nuclear could have done it, but the Australian public have decided that's not going to be part of the mix, certainly for the next three years. I suspect it's gone and done and dusted for a while. I wouldn't rule it out long term, but I think for quite a while nuclears finished, and we're going to have to invest heavily in battery storage and other forms of storage to ensure that the unreliables can be more reliable, not just for the status quo for energy use, but the increasing demand on the grid when the data centers proliferate and the electric vehicles proliferate and greater demand is realized. I just hope all of those well paid bureaucrats are across the brief because if they ate, we're in some strife. We'll catch up with Mark Levy shortly out at the Olympic Stadium big footy match coming up. When we wrap up here one three, one eight seven three, A lot of text message is still coming through about all the different issues we've discussed so far. Greg makes the point that why do we have to invest in order that Microsoft and Meta have a reliable power supplied. They've got revenues rivaling the GDP of most countries. Let them research and buy their own batteries and if they can't do it, well, then they can, as Greek says bugger Off. Okay, well, look I have some sympathy with that, but I guess the point they're making is if Australia doesn't have nuclear power as part of its legal energy mix, then we're going to have to come up with alternatives, not just indeed for the demands of the economy of the future, which they have a significant stake in, granted, but for everybody's sake. And so I guess Gregor, I appreciate the point you raised, and I understand and I sympathize with that sentiment, but really they are sounding a warning here that I think we will all benefit from if we can come to some sort of resolution. Back to the JPS, Michael says, everyone's using the plural JPS, but surely it should be j's P as Injustices of the Peace singular. I think that's right, but j's P sort of you might get the wrong impression and people say, who's Jay and what's wrong with him? You know? So anyway, I take your point, Thank you, Michael. Back to the NDS. Note here from someone says, my ten year old son has dyslexia. He's struggling really badly, but the school recognizes this and we're spending six thousand dollars a year to get out of school education help. We've been advised to find a doctor who'll diagnose him with autism, which he doesn't have, because without that he'll never get even basic help at school. This is the problem, and this is why the NDS is growing like topsy, because there is this going on to get in and get you get the income from the NDIS, you get the autism stage two diagnosis, and you're in without it, you struggle and you've got to find the money yourself, and a lot of people can't, Simon. I appreciate that. I thank you very much. One three one eight seven three.
Speaker 1: It's that time of the afternoon.
Speaker 2: To find out what's coming up on Sydney Now for the Serrato successor, the turbo charged Kia K four. Kia's on new small sedan GT line veryant available. Now find out more about Kia's latest small car.
Speaker 3: Well, you would have heard him between nine and twelve, and he's backing up the Great Mark Levy. He's made his way from Piermont out to the big Olympic Stadium. There's a big atmosphere there. They're expecting a big crowd, dogs and eels.
Speaker 21: Hello Mark, Hello, Yes, Michael, it's been such a while since we last spoke, but I said earlier that I'm really looking forward to this. So we've got people up on the extreme top deck of the grandstand, which usually indicates we've got a crowd of about sixty seventy thousand, so from all reports, we will be pushing that seventy thousand mark. I'm reliably told that outside the stadium, the precinct, the hive of activity, bulldogs supporters walking across from Paramatta Road as well. So we're going to have a great atmosphere for a clash between two Western Sydney rivals, Paramatta and Canterbury. I'm just looking at the Bulldogs down out there. They've just arrived, they've wandered out onto the field. Lucky Galvin's had a couple of photos and he's gonna make his club debut.
Speaker 3: And don't talk about it around the bench. Don't talk about Locklan Galvin please. Well you know what it is, what it is.
Speaker 21: It's done now, so I'm just glad we don't have to talk about it anymore. Look for his sake, I just abe he plays well. You know, all the noise disappears when you play good football. And all he needs to worry about now is training hard, playing good football. And I'll get his opportunity to do that today. And obviously, with a few Origin teammates in that Bulldog side, the Paramatta Eels have a couple of Origin players in there as well, I think we're in for a quality game of football. There is an issue, though, Michael. I've shouted some coffees for the boys, just to give us a little pickup for today, and I thought I saw some maltesers sitting on the shelf. So I've bought a box of Maltesers for the team. How much, Let's just say, in excess of nine dollars. It says king Share on the box. But it's a sixty grand box of Maltesers. There's about twenty Malteesers in it. So I'm outraged to.
Speaker 3: Did you get any said Malteesers or they all been hoovering up.
Speaker 21: Well, Piggy gave me back the box and there was one left in it, and he said, oh, well, you ate the ball. I said no, I didn't, and Darryl chimed him with it.
Speaker 3: I've had ten. Anyway, you got another problem when you try to leave. I think the Katy Perry fans are turning up for the concert.
Speaker 21: Well, Piggy just told me that. He said, Cady Perry's on next door, and I said, well, let's do an all night at Piggy. We'll go next door and dance away with Katy Perry.
Speaker 4: What do you reckon?
Speaker 3: He's probably already got tickets.
Speaker 21: He me, what else does she sing?
Speaker 4: Michael?
Speaker 3: She'd be on your playlist as you would. That's something about a plastic bag or were they sing something about a plastic bag and a wind or something. A plastic bag. Well maybe you're a firework or something, isn't it that's there too, wouldn't have plassy bag any.
Speaker 21: Well, I've heard I've heard that about your zoo champion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks, make yes, Well, there might be a few five works in the car. He's an idea. Why don't you get Katie Perry before? She'll be there warming up as professionals do. Why don't you get her in for the final ten minutes of the match. Get her in the box she can call the final ten minutes with you.
Speaker 21: Well, I've actually just had an email from Kayperry at gmail dot com boys looking forward to your call this afternoon. So she'll be listening on the way out here to the what do they call it next door the Superdome, Kidos Bank Arena something, So she'll be tuned in for the last ten minutes of the footy before she gets into makeup and gets an outfit on and all that sort of thing and starts building away her tunes off, which we know none.
Speaker 3: Big fans, well big fan of yours. Big game coming up? Who's going to prevail?
Speaker 21: Look, you've got to tip the bulldogs but I don't think it's as clear cut as some people are making out the Paramatteriels are certainly a team on the improve and you look at the likes of Bitual Moses and even Zach Lomax who have played Origin football, and you know they've grown with that experience. So look last week at eighteen ten lost to the Panthers and the Battle of the West. They'll be better for that and they were certainly in the contest. So I think the Eels are going to be competitive, but I think Canna reill win.
Speaker 3: All right, great, look forward to the call. Thank you, Mark, you, Margot all the best, Mark leave you. Then the continuous Call team they'll be following straight after me. Know Sydney. Now we've got the big football match and that's what's happening in Sydney this afternoon, so it's appropriate there on the Eels and the Dogs and Lockey. Galvin making his debut and the Blue and White. I wish him luck. I mean he's made his decision. Good luck to him and I hope it works out for him. Now before we get the news, of course, Coco Goff had a reasonable French open, didn't she. But it was a bit of an awkward first round for miss Goff. She forgot I think what some would say is a kind of critical piece of kit if you're going to go and be playing a professional tennis match, that is, her rackets turned up to the match without tennis rackets. Now, of course, you know, being a superstar in the world of tennis, they found replacements in a way they go. But I thought i'd ask you this afternoon one three, one eight seven three, where have you gone and forgot something kind of crucial? You gone to a birthday party and left the present behind? Have you I don't know, maybe a photographer or something, and you had the duties to do a wedding and you turned up to someone's very special day and you left the camera at home, or I mean, what was it. You might have been at a piano recital and you know, you're not like one of those superstars that you know, can do it all off the top of their head. You kind of need the music, the sheet music, and you left it, I don't know, on the kitchen table or whatever it was. I'd imagine I'm speaking on behalf of a few people here. If I suggested you might have been one of the gentlemen who was nominated as the best man and left the rings at home. I think there was a few movies where certain things were exchange for weddings at a funeral comes to mind. I think they had a situation like that, didn't they. One three one eight seven three. So you've sort of you know, I don't know. I went to the shops and forgot the list, and don't worry about that. But yes, it's something that is kind of key, something kind of important, and you had a big role. You had, you know, one job to do, as they say, and you're stuffed. If you've got a story, I wouldn't mind hearing it. One three one eight seven three. I will confess because my wife will remind me if she happens to be listening. And I don't mention this that when we first went to Europe together, meet the in laws and something future in laws as it were. Part of the itinery was we were going to have a bit of a trip through Italy. So okay, got there. My wife's the organized one, being dramatic. I sort of yeah, Australian, it'll all be okay. So we turn up to the airport in Germany, and we're flying down to Naples I think it was, and we get there early in the morning, it's one of those early flights, and we hop out of the taxi who managed to do about one hundred and ninety three thousand kilometers down the auto barn got us in four minutes or something and said, okay, we've got everything, got bags, you've got that, and she said you got your passport and then no, you packed that, didn't you. No, okay, so we got on the flight, but it was thanks to a very enterprising taxi driver who did incredible things to and from the house so she could go back pick up my passport. And you need your passport on airport and I forgot that one. So my logic was, oh, well it's an inter European flight, it's domestic sengen right. No, that was a bit of the Australian mindset that went awry. Anyway, So you might have a suggestion or you might remember something nobe wasn't you. You might have been your husband or your wife they kind of or mate forgot something kind of important. One three, one, eight seven three will fight out those embarrassing stories after this person who has never forgotten anything is the wonderful erin ma Erin Good.
Speaker 16: Afternoon, Good afternoon. Definitely haven't forgotten these headlines. The Los Angeles mayor is accusing the US President of provoking riots by sending in the National Guard. It's the first time that's happened without straight request since Alabama in the Civil rights movement. The National guarda hasn't yet come face to face with protesters. HSBC is being sued over its failure to detect and respond to a scam involving criminals impersonating banking staff. The state government is allocating more than thirty million dollars in the next budget to provide better support for those sleeping rough and Network ten has acted ACXD its long running current affairs show. The project to be replaced with a new news and current affairs program. In Sport, Australia has been knocked off the top of the Sale Grand Prix championship standings. The Flying Rus crossing the line at the New York event in fifth, slipping at a second on the ladder behind Spain. And there'll be more news at three o'clock on afternoons.
Speaker 2: A finance update for Pretzel Wealth and finance for Trusted financial planning.
Speaker 1: Just Google, Blake went to pretzel.
Speaker 3: Okay, Monday, public holidays, so the markets aren't doing too much with the dollars still trades and around the world things still happens. Scott Phillips from the moltifoolfull dot com dot years across at all for U Scott, Good afternoon.
Speaker 22: Michael got Arpens on this topic, Holiday Monday.
Speaker 3: Indeed, buy now, pay later, The laws about all of that they're going to change from tomorrow, are they?
Speaker 19: Yeah?
Speaker 22: Just about well and truly over due to the idea basically in the past was buy now, pay later exploited a very specific legal loophole, completely legal, So to be really clear, I'm not justting anything un toward effectively for what had happened in the past. No one believed you could get a credit product that didn't charge interest right yet alone you take a credit card out, it charges interest. So the law defined credit as something you paid interest on. And a lot comes buying our pay later after pay and Zip and all those guys, and they said, well, we're not credit because we're not charging you interest. Now the rest of us No, that's obviously not the case, but legally they were one hundred percent right. And what that meant was the rules that apply to credit cards, personal loans, payday lenders, all that sort of stuff. So they didn't apply to buy now, pay later. Governments and regulators might have taken way too long. This has been an issue for thirty four or five years, I think, and they've dragged their heels as parliamentary inquiries and regulator looked at it. The government FI I only got around to passing some new laws not that long ago. And as you say, they start at start this week. Effectively, now buy now, pay later companies are going to have to treat you as the credit card company would. Effectively, it's not exactly the same. They're calling it regulation light, not exactly the same. But for example, enough to pay again, just as an example, not do anything wrong. But they didn't have to find out whether I had other debts, how likely I was to be able to pay that debt back, or I had to do with say I applied for it, but they reckon I should get it. Yeah, okay, that'll do. They can give me the they can give me the credit I'm off. I can go and put as much as I want on buying now, pay later, programs. I have multiple ones. I got credit cards, I got a personal loans. They didn't know there was no requirement for them to assess my ability to repay. Now some did voluntarily to different degrees, but that wasn't in place. So from tomorrow, essentially what's going to have to happen is if you want a buy and now pay Ladder account, you have to submit your usual information you would if you were taking out any other type of loan, and the company's obliged to make sure you can actually repay that debt. Doesn't sound like an hing reasonable thing. You feel they should have been doing it anyway, But that's going to be the change. What it probably means is fewer people will qualify, and that's I think where the biggest issue had been in the past. Okay, if you got to get a credit card, you take one. If you were going to get a credit card, you might go buy our pay later, and if I didn't check, you might just get access to that credit. So hopefully more responsible lending, Hopefully fewer people get in the souls in trouble using credit products.
Speaker 3: Well let's hope. So I think the idea is right. Let's say how it plays out the dollar because the markets aren't doing anything obviously, so the dollar correct.
Speaker 22: Yeah, markets are closed. The dollar is up four tenths of a percent against the US dollar, back over sixty five cents at sixty five point one two US A.
Speaker 3: You beauty, all right, thank you, Scott, Thank you for coming on today. Scott Phillips, the chief investment officer from the Motley fool full dot com dot you all right the embarrassing moments. Let's go through some high share.
Speaker 5: Al Hi, how are you good?
Speaker 3: Thanks?
Speaker 23: That's good. My story is that I mean, it's not a story, it's true. My husband and I packed all our us stuff to go away on holidays up to pair's place at Port mcquarie. We got in the car, we're traveling up the road and we're thinking, what a heavy lifting thing behind? Have you left it behind? And look behind and the car seat was emptied. We left our twelve month old daughter in her cot Okay.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm glad you looked behind. Otherwise that could have been really bad. You could laugh about it all these years later, but at the time, my goodness, get that sinking feeling. Thank you for the call.
Speaker 22: Hello, Pat, Yeah, how are we going?
Speaker 11: Yeah, well, I sent the family off with family and friends on a camping vacation. I had to work a couple extra days and when they got down, they were all the tent poles and everything missing from the kid.
Speaker 3: Which how far was the drive from home to the campsite two and a half hours? Okay, so it wasn't a ten hour trip or what mind you pat that would have made camping a little difficult? Thank you mate? Okay? What was left behind?
Speaker 22: Hi, Michael, I love you show Thank you kay.
Speaker 24: My brother lives in Orange and with his new wife and two boys, and his in his sixties, was going on a China China trip. So he had the green bag and he called him someone's place and left the green bag with everything passport, your story on the table. He hasn't got a mobile phone, doesn't believe in those, so no one could contact him to telling the bag was there. Got to the airport, had a special deal with all this special deal. No, we had to drive back home to Orange, drive back again and pay three times the amount.
Speaker 9: To the air fairs and meet it.
Speaker 24: Got there before them at the destination because he got a fast flight which cost him three times the amount of money. But anyway, happy holiday.
Speaker 3: Indeed, that'll teach him about the mobile phone. I hope he's. Ladies, listen, good on your k Thank you for that. We'll take a break when we come back. Roger Fransen now Roger Franzen AO. Well, as it is the King's Birthday long weekend, a new group of extraordinary Australians are being rightfully on it. In fact, eight one hundred and thirty ozz he's in total, five one hundred and eighty one of which receiving an Order of Australia. Now those selected are recognized for their contributions to all kinds of industries within our society, medicine, the arts, the military, emergency services, education and so on. But I wanted to catch up with someone who's contributed a great deal to an industry that I think may not seem every day to the average Australian right now, but it is an industry making waves in the realm of science. His name is Roger Franzen and he's being recognized today for his outstanding contributions to the space sector. Now, more specifically, he's dedicated his career as Roger to engineering complex systems, aerospace and satellite communications, most of which of course goes straight over my head, but it is critical in the emerging economy. And Roger's been working in the space engineering space for more than thirty years, and in recognition of his outstanding contribution, he's been made an Officer of the Order of Australia. That's why these awards are so good because people we may not know too much about. They're not celebrities, they're not household names and not Hollywood A listers, but we recognize them for the bedrock contribution that they have made to our way of life in our nation's economy. Roger's with me on the line, Roger Frans and thank you for joining us. Thanks Michael, congratulations AO, Roger, Friends and IO. That'll take a little while to sink.
Speaker 22: In, no out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I'm sure my wife won't give me such credit. But just before we start, you know, behind everyone that has done something of value and has been awarded, there is somebody that sits behind them and alongside them. And I just want to try a hand out to my wonderful wife and life partner because she's had to put up with me all of these years, forty four years to be exact, so she deserves every bit of credit as well.
Speaker 3: That's beautifully said and so appropriate. Being honored on the King's birthday quite the achievement. Of course, when you first found out, what was the feeling that went through you?
Speaker 5: Wow, it was a surprise and an honor. Now I have to stop using quite so much profanity.
Speaker 22: I guess.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure that comes with it, but anyway, I mean, you've dedicated most of your life to work in the space sector, space engineering. Now. Look, a lot of people understand that there is a realm out there that engineering is involved with, but don't fully understand how it relates to their everyday life. Can you can you sort of bring it back to the terrestrial for a moment and just give us a sense of what your work does and how it contributes to our everyday lives.
Speaker 23: Oh?
Speaker 5: Absolutely. The important thing is that so many people don't realize that they use space space services every day. It's kind of like water in the tap. You never ask where it comes from until it stops. And our whole economy, our military security, and that of the world is a major user of space based services. If they stopped today, we'd go back to the dark ages and people would have to start using maps again. Good God, good.
Speaker 3: Grief, no GPS. How would people cope? Now you mentioned the deed with their defense. I mean you've got some expertise there obviously as well, and that's recognized in the list today, but in your view because aspeaking to Scott Morrison was also honored today and he's now got this new role in the Australian space sector. Now you intersect defense and space. Scott Morrison was saying to me just the other week that this is really going to be the new frontier of the third pillar of orcuses that were no doubt you agree with that assessment.
Speaker 5: I think that's very true. Australia has long been a user of other people's space assets, and I think the importance of a capability in country that takes account of this really uncertain world we're living in right now and all of the traditional trusts that we've placed a starting to look a little bit fragile. So having an important second tier resilience in Australia's civilian and military space capability is an important aspect of our future.
Speaker 3: When the average person Roger thinks about a civilian space sector, I think they probably think about the United States with Cape Canaveral and Nasra and the like. They think about the former Soviet Union and the cosmonauts. They might have some idea that the Indians are trying to launch rockets, and the Chinese and the European Space Agency as well established, they don't necessarily think that Australia is much of a player in that area. What is our role and what could it be?
Speaker 5: Well, for many years, our traditional role it has been as a collector of information and using our geography as a landing pad for data that come from other people's satellites and using that data very intelligently. And the likes of the CSIRO Geoscience Australia are world renowned for their ability to assimilate that data and do something with it. But I guess the importance is that that is a dependency on other people. Whenever you have a dependency, you have a vulnerability, and we haven't addressed that vulnerability for forty years. We need to really step up to become professional at delivering enough capability. We're never going to replace everything that other countries have built up because they've been doing it for the last seventy years. So we would have a cliff face to climb of enormous height to replicate that. Don't do that. Select the areas where we must have some resilience, both from an economic point of view and from a civilian the military point of view. So that's what we need to do.
Speaker 3: And is it easy getting that message into the heads of Canberra.
Speaker 5: I think it's a lack of understanding sometimes about the breadth of dependency that we have on space space services. GPS is just one thing. There's a timing signal on GPS satellites that synchronizes our mobile phone networks. It synchronizes all of the transactions, the financial transactions that are made by and two banks and between financial authorities, those two things. If you took out that timing signal would be catastrophic for the nation. The grid would collapse. So yeah, it is important, and that's something that is not very well understood.
Speaker 3: You acknowledged earlier the love and the support of your wife and your wonderful journey, but I'm sure the supporters that were that's helped you get to where you are involved others as well. You can probably go way back high school teachers. I get I'm asking here Roger. Why did Roger friends and as a young fellow, decide to go down this path and not another path, a path that perhaps is better trodden by so many other Australians.
Speaker 5: That's a good question. I grew up in Perth, which is obviously WA's mining mining capital in Australia, and I did an engineering degree. But before I did that, I had a deep interest in astronomy. I used to go out with my good buddy Gary Poon and get our telescopes out at one o'clock in the morning. Why one o'clock because in Perth in those days, and there was a long time ago, at the street lights would go out at one o'clock in the morning, it'd be beautifully dark. So we sleep beforehand and then go out and watch the stuff. And you know, that brings a perspective that says, wow, there is so much more out there that we don't understand. And needless to say, I'd done a techniqely oriented high school course and then went into engineering. I wasn't a great scholar, but I had a deep passion for it and that just kept driving me on.
Speaker 3: We seem to have a shortage of shall we say, stem experts even though we've had a high profile campaign to try to get more and more people into science and technology, engineering and the mathematical courses. What do you think is the solution to that? I mean, it worked for you and you had that passion, but how do we instill that in others?
Speaker 5: Gosh, you know, in a country that is so well endowed with mineral resources and the ease with which we can generate revenue, it's honestly made us a bit lazy, and we have cut away our manufacturing industry rather than growing it. In contrast to places like Europe, America, India, Japan, China, where the more manufacturing pyramids I'll call them, because you have a pyramid that has a peak integrator at the top and all of a substance under the foundation of training and such like. Those pyramids produce output, but they also produce jobs. The more pyramids you have in different areas pharmaceuticals and space and ships and airplanes and all of the complex engineering technologies, the more of those you have, the more jobs you have, but the more easily you can then realize new innovation, because it's like having a massive lego box that's able to let you build all sorts of different things. The more lego pieces you have, the more things you can build. And that's really what we're lacking. Why aren't there more people going into STEM because where are the jobs? Where are the jobs in STEM?
Speaker 3: You've got to create that pathway for them and then allow them to tread that road well. As I said, Roger, you know that the King's Birthday honors are a wonderful vehicle I think to honor and acknowledge great Australians who may not have the pedestal afforded celebrities, but nonetheless have made an extraordinary contribution to our way of life, our country and our economy. And you're one of them. And it's a deserve it Ao for you.
Speaker 5: Thank you for your time, my pleasure, Michael. You have a wonderful day.
Speaker 3: You too, Roger Franzen Ao.
Speaker 4: Now one afternoons, the track of the day.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's do this before we go and hand over to the continuous call team. I've got a double pass to the double movie pass to Riviera Revenge. Okay. Now, it's a movie set on the sunny French riviera of family revelations virals into a mischievous journey Bringing with Love, vengeance and surprises. Now this is a French smash it romantic comedy. It's in Australian cinemas from June twenty six. If you want to go double pass one three one eight seven three, here's your question. It was on this day, speaking of all sort of French things in twenty nineteen. On this day twenty nineteen, the great Ash Barty won the French Open tennis final. But who was the last Australian player to win the women's title before? Who was the previous Australian lady that won the French Open before Ash Barty did it on this day in twenty nineteen, Nita clue, here's a bit of a musical hint.
Speaker 18: Game.
Speaker 3: All right, who was the one before Ash that did it? Let's go down and see if we can find I win anarrell. Good afternoon.
Speaker 5: Oh I'm sorry, I wouldn't think that.
Speaker 3: Not to worry. Have a lovely thank you, No real good on you. Andrew at Maruba. You've got the answer, of course, the great Margaret Court. You're off to the movies. It looks like some light to moderate rain coming from the south, so get those brollies ready.