Speaker 1: Our next guest is Matthew Floyd. He was a former a PERF bikey. He was jailed for a brutal assault and he is now wanting to get into the bare knuckle boxing event at rac Arena. I believe has to be passed by the w A Combat Sports Commission, but I know that Matt's been a very successful boxer in his time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Johnes just online, good morning.
Speaker 3: Hey, Hey you god not bad. I mean, obviously we all have a pass we have to deal with. How do you view your past?
Speaker 4: It's an interesting one. It was like the guy was a pedophile.
Speaker 2: Wal Yeah, there's more to the story.
Speaker 4: Obviously, my past, the time I did, I don't think necessarily was just for that. I think it was for my whole pass and everything. So I was content with it all, and you know, I did it, did the time and everything, and since then I've just been fighting and trying my best right.
Speaker 3: So to be able to go into a combat zone, you need a license from the WA's Combat Sports Commission to be able to fight bare knuckled.
Speaker 2: Do you think you'll have any resistance?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been an on going battle of them. I don't think it was because of the the kidnapping of the pedophile. I think it was because it was on the news back then and other people followed, and I think they think it looked bad for the sport. Maybe if it wasn't on the news and things like that, I probably have been all right because we the people would have been able to fight, as we all know, and it's been more of a political thing and I could have probably fought for it more. But I sort of morally stood back and told them I wouldn't bother fighting in Perth. This was years ago. I thought in every other state. I thought, in all the other countries, I'm fighting on the biggest platforms in the world with no issues. You know. I just fought last week in England and so that's why I just didn't bother. But now I've been offered this big opportunity on a different platform. Connor himself said he'll come to the fight if I'm fighting on His trainer helps traine me and stuff like that. So it's a different.
Speaker 3: Reason, Connor McGregor, Yeah, right, and bear knuckle fighting.
Speaker 2: How does it differ from other forms of combat where we don't have boxing gloves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you just don't have well, I think it's probably not as bad really, because we've boxing. You get knocked down, you get up, you get knocked down, you get up again, and it's like when you get hit with a surfboard, it's like a bit of a thump with the I think it's actually could be more impactful with the rubber. I think Ben Knuckle, it's like you don't really know about it till the next day. SOS just mixed opinions on it.
Speaker 1: So Matt, they've called an emergency meeting with the WA Combat Sports Commission to decide whether you can fight when where you know the outcome of whether you can or you can't.
Speaker 4: I was actually I just got back from Ireland yesterday. I was training over there. I actually came back today because they're gonna let me know today because when the meeting is going to be this week, so hopefully it'll be as soon as possible so I can get back into my training. But they'll give me an answer. By the sounds of it, yeah, this week.
Speaker 3: Other places that have let you fight, do they know your background, your history?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Of course, especially the UK a very supportive of it all. They're a lot more supportive of the story.
Speaker 2: And things like that.
Speaker 4: I've had no disaprete action during any of my fights.
Speaker 2: I've been respectful.
Speaker 4: Contestant, obviously, because they keep having me back in other countries, other states have asked me. Even like this Sunday, I'm supposed to be fighting on an Eddie Hern Mattroom card in Golko, so they all know. Everyone knows my storry.
Speaker 2: So you've turned your back on crime.
Speaker 3: That's pretty well, and you've put your attention into going down this road. Can we be reassured that you're on the straight and narrow Matthew.
Speaker 4: My last it was in twenty sixteen. Since I've been released, I've been just doing this. I try and do as much like hereout the community. I take kids trouble kids like myself off the street and I try helping them as much as I can. That's all I do. Man, there's no issue with me. I don't I'm not interested in any of that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Just just just so, matt was in and out of foster care, okay, and so you know he's bounced between homes and he was doing that from the age of ten, Is that right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So so what would you say to someone that wanted to become a member of a biking group.
Speaker 4: Now, I buy I try and I try and get the boys on the good path. I try and advise against all that. I trying to help them, you know, reach their goals, whether it's fighting or you know, some boys from my gym have gone to AFL and things like that. I try my best to guide them in the right direction. Obviously, I am I won't speak bad about that because of history and things like that, but I obviously I definitely try and encourage the boys to do different things.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Some people would say it's just violence in a different form fighting, whether it's U of C or beer knuckle fighting. Do you agree with that sentiment?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know. I grew up growing up the way I grew up. I had quite a few fight street fight things like that. I think that. I mean, I don't wear head gear when I spa A lot of people do because I believe it's more impactful. Everyone just has different views on this.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 4: It's I think it's actually probably less chances of concussions and brain injuries and things like that. But that's just like you know, an expert, all right.
Speaker 3: Well, We're watching with interest to see if they give you a permit.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you coming on this morning. Thanks for having me