Speaker 1: Diabetes ever been a contender for type two?
Speaker 2: Just eat mate, you'll get get to fix meat yep, eat more fats, right. Cholesterol, Get cholesterol in you that will fix your diabetes. Get cholesterols into you, India, get cholesterol into you that'll fix your diabetes.
Speaker 1: Well, I think we might have a chat with Professor Alif Akinschi, who's from the Australian Senate for Accelerating Diabetes Innovations at the University of Melbourne, because they've got a new way to treat diabetes type two, which I've fan quite fascinating. Professor, Good morning.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Thanks for inviting me.
Speaker 1: No worries. What's the best way to avoid diabetes type two? First up?
Speaker 3: So the best way really is to think about lifestyle measures, so really increasing physical activity, eating healthy diet, avoiding ultra process foods, avoiding sugar drinks and so forth. That is really the best way to prevent getting diabetes in the first place. It's also highly relevant if you do have diabetes, right.
Speaker 1: Insulin injections can be very d traumatic, particularly for people when they're knew to diabetes too, but you're working on trying to avoid those Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there is a clinical trial that we did, which we did the first phase, first in human clinical trial at the Austin which is a hospital where I work at, and I'm presenting the trial results at the American Diabetes Association meeting in Chicago this week. And in that trial, what we did was using electrical pulses to regenerate the lining of the duodenum. So it's through an endoscopic procedure, like a gastroscopy type of procedure, which is requiring a general anesthetic. It lasts about an hour and a catheter goes into the duodenal wall and it produces electrical pulses which is really used to eliminate the poorly functioning cells and that allows the regrowth of the new and healthy cells usually within days. That helps the body make its own hormones that are really relevant to help manage the datiatis.
Speaker 4: So these are essentially for the layman out there, regenerating the cells in your.
Speaker 3: Gut, that's right. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And so with the treatment, how say invasive is it for a potential patient?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it is an invasive procedure because you need a gastroscopy, you know, and a general anesthetic. But it is being generally well tolerated. For the patients that we've had in our trial, they go home on the same day they have the treatment and you know, a few days later and weeks later, the glucose levels improved. It it is sort of like a regenerative procedure of the lining of the small gut, particularly in the first part joodenum.
Speaker 4: So with that treatment though, but going back to your initial point, if you cut out the sugars, reduced carbohydrates, as much as you can donate your process foods, healthy fats, these are all keys to making sure your gut healthy.
Speaker 3: Is good exactly. Yeah, they're they're really important things. So in some people though, when they've had diabetes for a long time, their management using medications or those injections like a zembic or insulance is just not enough to keep the blood sugars still under control. And so this is a new way of thinking about treatment that could really help people in that situation.
Speaker 1: How excited are you, bidily, Yeah, we're pretty excited.
Speaker 3: It's you know, first in the world really to show this, and you know, us and at the Austin at Saint Vincents in Melbourne and investigators that in Sydney and it is really exciting. Now it's an international trial, which is the next phase, which is a pivotal trial, and it's recruiting at the moment and if people wanted to find out, they can go to www. Dot reset study dot com. It's R E. C to study dot com. And you know, I think look at is early days. It is we need to do more trial than this. The next phase of the trial is a randomized control trial, which is you know, the dummy controlled one, which is really important for us to really know if this is working. But yeah, we're quite excited about it.
Speaker 1: Good on your best of luck you've made in Chicago before.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have yes beautiful architecture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I come ale to enjoy it. Mate, we'll talk against and good luck with the good luck with the study.