S1: Is Alan Jones guilty of multiple counts of indecent assault? Or are the allegations against him by six men the result of treachery, desperation and opportunism, as Jones barrister has argued? I'm Samantha Selinger Morris and you're listening to The Morning Edition from The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald. Today, crime reporter Claire Sibthorpe on the allegations aired in court so far in the trial of Alan Jones, which began this week. And what we can expect in this unusual trial.
S2: Claire, welcome to the podcast. Thanks so much. Glad to be here. Now, you were there on the first day of Alan Jones's trial. This was on Monday. So can you just tell us what the scene was like when he arrived at the Downing Centre Local Court in Sydney. And I guess what his demeanor was like during the day.
S3: Absolutely. So Alan Jones arrived at court in a black BMW. He was accompanied by his lawyer, Bryan Wrench.
S4: It's been dubbed the Trial of the year. Former broadcaster Alan Jones accused of indecent assault and sexual touching charges.
S5: A veteran of 35 years behind the microphone, Alan Jones was silent today.
S6: Almost all the news rather than be reporting on it. No, don't worry about it. We're just going to keep walking.
S7: Don't have anything more to say about how you plan to defend. Do you think you'll be here for every day of the trial? Will you continue to maintain your innocence, sir?
S3: We navigated quite a thick media scrum, as you can imagine, but made his way very slowly into the Downing Centre Court complex. He arrives actually, not too long before the proceedings kicked off at 10 a.m. he used a cane and he did greet a few journalists among the very long queue waiting to get inside court 3.1. Now, once he was inside the court, he sat in a special chair, flanked by his group of high profile lawyers, and he sat waiting for the judge, looking out into the distance, um, quite fidgety, twirling his cane. And, you know, it wasn't clear if he was nervous or impatient, but he was definitely moving around a little bit. He sort of swapped between writing notes and just staring out into the distance, pursed lips occasionally actually nodding off. Um, near the end of the day, I mean, let's remember he is 85 and he does have to appear every day for this trial. So it'll be interesting to see, you know, his demeanour.
S2: And just before we get to the trial itself, can you just rewind a little bit and just remind all of us really how we got here? Because Alan Jones was, you know, once one of the most powerful people in Australian media. So I guess just briefly, how did he amass so much power and influence with media, with politicians and the, you know, general public.
S3: So he amassed that power over a very long, several decades career in radio before retiring from TB in May 2020. He wielded a massive amount of political, social and commercial power in Australia. He actually started his career as a teacher. He was a political candidate at the time. He was a speechwriter coach of the Australian National Rugby Union team, and then he dominated Sydney Breakfast Radio for 35 years. A single rant on his show could trigger a swathe of calls to parliamentarians, influence policy and sway election margins. Now, some would say that Jones's power stemmed partly from political fear rather than respect, and his time on the airwaves was not without quite a few controversies. Now, when he announced his retirement in 2020, he had had a lot of his controversies quite recently. but he told listeners it was due to health concerns from the detrimental workload that he had been carrying.
S8: Okay.
S2: And then Jones was then arrested back in November 2024. So can you just tell us about the police investigation, the arrest and the charges that were brought against him?
S3: Yeah. So it was actually a 2023 investigation by the Herald's chief investigative reporter, Kate McClymont. Now, her investigation sparked the secret creation of Strike Force Bonython, run by the State Crime Command, Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad. Big name there. So that investigation, Strike Force Bonython spent the next year examining the former TV broadcaster. Then in November 2024, detectives swooped in on Jones at his luxury harbourside apartment in Circular Quay. They seized his devices and arrested him.
S9: First, some news just in New South Wales. Police have arrested veteran broadcaster Alan Jones following an investigation into alleged indecent assault and sexual touching offences spanning two decades.
S10: At 745 this morning. The Child Abuse Squad came knocking on the door of his $20 million apartment in the toaster at Circular Quay. The raid first making headlines on the radio station.
S3: Fast forward to now. Alan Jones faces 22 charges against six complainants, and this spans from 2003 to 2020. There were some changes in the number of charges and the types of charges and the number of complainants, but that's where we're at today as the trial starts. Now. At the time of the alleged incidents, the complainants ranged in age from 17 to their early 30s. Of course, Jones maintains his innocence and is defending all of the charges at his trial. Two of the charges are sexual touching without consent and the rest of them are indecent assault. The accusations include unsolicited and unwanted touching of the alleged victim's genitals or their bottom and kissing their lips. Some of these alleged incidents took place in private, such as inside Jones's workplace, his Circular Quay apartment and his Fitzroy Falls farm, while others actually allegedly occurred in public at fundraising events and even at a Lower North Shore restaurant.
S2: Okay, so this is a long time coming before we get to the trial itself, which of course began this week. So tell us a bit about how the prosecution is trying to form its case.
S3: So obviously there are quite a few charges. We've got 22 as I just said. And what the Crown is seeking to rely upon is types of circumstantial evidence. Now this is known as tendency. Well, there's two tendency and coincidence. So what the Crown is alleging is that Jones had a tendency to act on a sexual interest in significantly younger men, and he acted on this by touching them in a professional or social context without their consent. The coincidence evidence seeks to draw on what the Crown has identified as similarities in the complainants allegations. Basically, they're arguing that these similarities demonstrate the improbability that two or more men unknown to each other, could fabricate such reports of similar allegations against the same person, coincidentally.
S2: And we know that Alan Jones, he's entitled to the presumption of innocence, and the prosecution has to prove that the alleged indecent assault and sexual touching offenses, they've got to prove them beyond a reasonable doubt. Right. So I guess take us to the Alan Jones side, because his lead barrister gave an opening address on Monday. I think it's safe to say she didn't hold back. So tell us what she said, what might be their approach to, you know, presenting their case.
S3: She definitely didn't hold back. You're right there Samantha. So Alan Jones's lead barrister is Gabrielle Bashir SC. She went straight into it with some very strong language. Her opening line was rivalry, treachery, double dealing, money, hatred, desperation, opportunism and more are all at the heart of this case. So, she alleges one complainant rewrote the history of his relationship with Jones. She also claims that Jones's former two DB stable mate Ray Hadley, helped fuel media reports about the allegations as part of this wider trial by media attack, which included other journalists, including the Herald's Kate McClymont. Now, Bashir told the court that rumours and media coverage are at the heart of more than a reasonable possibility of contamination or reconstruction in this case. She said that the credibility and reliability of the complainants will be tested in a lengthy trial.
S1: After the break.
S3: Now, when the young man was explaining this allegation of being indecently assaulted inside Jones's car while they were driving to his farm, it was it was, I would say, quite explosive.
S2: Now, we're recording this early in the morning on Tuesday, just before the second day of the trial commences. But on the first day, we heard some explosive testimony from a person known as complainant J. So can you just tell us about who he is and the account that he gave of his allegations against Ellen Jones?
S3: Yes. So complainant J was the only person that we heard from in terms of testimony yesterday. We heard the opening addresses from the Crown and Defence, and then we moved on to complainant J who was halfway through his evidence at the moment. So nine of the 22 allegations against Jones relate to complainant J. He was a young athlete at the time. He told the court that he was 14 or 15 when he met Jones, after the two GB hosts reached out to him to interview him about a sporting achievement. Now the alleged offences began some years later when he was in year 12. Jones allegedly lavished gifts today, including a car and a mobile phone, before indecently assaulting him several times and paying him hundreds of dollars a week. Jones allegedly kissed and touched complainant J in his harborside apartment at his Fitzroy Falls farm and inside a car while the young man was driving. Now, when the young man was explaining this allegation of being indecently assaulted inside Jones's car while they were driving to his farm, it was it was, I would say, quite explosive. I mean, he was alleging that the assault caused him to veer off the road, which I imagine would have been quite scary. Now the man described conflicting feelings of fear towards Jones, but also gratitude for his support. He came from quite a difficult upbringing, and he hadn't had a mobile phone before, and he was gifted a car, and he obviously appreciated these gifts. But at the same time, he was fearful of Jones and his power and he was fearful to speak out. And so.
S8: I guess, what can we expect.
S2: From the rest of the trial, and who else are we expecting to hear from.
S3: With this local court trial, which is actually expected to last until close to Christmas. It's not really known how it will all fold out. Now we know we have several months of evidence. We know there are more than 70 witnesses that are expected to be called, but the order of those witnesses is unclear at the moment. As I said, we're halfway through day's evidence, so he will be cross-examined by the defense when he finishes his evidence in chief. And then the Crown will continue to call different witnesses, and then it will move on to the defense's case.
S8: And just to wrap up, Claire, this.
S2: Is a judge only trial. So is that unusual? And I guess what does that mean, if anything, for Alan Jones?
S3: It is quite unusual for a trial of this type and length to be held in a lower local court. What it means is that Jones will not be facing a jury, as he probably would have done in a higher court, and instead will face local court judge Glen Walsh, who will decide his fate. Now the decision for the Crown to prosecute in the lower court was able to be made, because some of the more serious features of some of the charges were withdrawn, meaning the charges were low enough in legal terms, of course, to be held in the local court. Now, Judge Walsh will decide whether the prosecution has proved beyond reasonable doubt that Jones is guilty on each offence. So remember, he has to make a decision on each of the 22 offences and then later down the track, he will decide any sentence in the event of a conviction.
S2: Well, thank you so much, Clare for your time.
S3: Thank you so much for having me. It was great to chat.
S1: In other news, Qantas is considering outsourcing up to 1000 roles to India as part of a deal with consulting giant Accenture that looks to harness the power of artificial intelligence. Gambling industry representatives have rejected explosive claims about addicts being offered drugs and escorts through company VIP programs. At the Senate inquiry probing the Albanese government's proposed gambling reform and rising Liberal star Andrew Hastie says he hopes to receive One Nation preferences at the next election after acknowledging his own political mortality, despite previously vowing to never bend the knee to Pauline Hanson. You can read more at the age.com.au or smh.com.au. Today's episode was produced by Kai Wong. Our executive producer is Tammy Mills, and our podcasts are overseen by Lisa Muxworthy and Tom McKendrick. If you like our show, follow The Morning Edition and leave a review for us on Apple or Spotify. Thanks for listening.