Speaker 1: Onto GV. This is Sydney now with.
Speaker 2: Clinton Thursday June nineteen. It is Clinton maynight here one three one eight seven three. I was driving through the local suburbs in my area this morning and I noticed all these kids at the ovals taking shots at goals, and in front of rugby league posts there were kids lining up trying to kick some goals and I'm thinking, what's happening here on a Thursday morning. This must be mums and dads. Saw Zach Lomax miss all those conversions for New South Wales last night in Oriegin too, and thought, hey, there might be an opportunity here. New South Wales might be looking for a goalkicker. Unfortunately for the Blues, even though the game last night was played in AFL territory, you don't get a point for missing in rugby league what you do in Australian rules. But it is a lovely afternoon across Sydney, So after school, if you want to take the kids down the local park and practice the goal kicking, or maybe just take the dog for a walk, do it because it's a beautiful weather across Sydney. This authternoon plenty coming up on the show if you own an electric vehicle, you could soon be paying a special tax. The government admits because ev drivers don't pay fuel excise, they're going to need to contribute to our roads in other ways. We don't examine how that could work. The state government, talking about roads funding, has announced to one hundred and fifty six million dollar plan to improve roads in Sydney's northwest. But this has sparked a war of words in Macquarie Street.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 2: I'm going to have a look at that Mark gyre and all the fallout from Origin to and the suggestion the referee Ashley Climbed, should never referee Origin again. And I'm going to spin in two GB's winter wheel. This is your chance to win hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars some great prizes as well. Don't call yet, you need my que to coll later in the program. You are our eyes and ears when it's happening in Sydney now, So semi text message zero force zero eight seven three eight seven three have you say on one three one eight seven three. Well in Sydney now. There are three men in custody over allegations they profited from the sale of fake counterfeit luxury goods and made as much as ten million dollars from the sales. The profits of their alleged crimes then went towards buying high end sports cars, Lamborghinis and McLaren's. The men have been in caught this afternoon seeking bail. A decision on bail will not be made today. Detective Superintendent Peter Foe is the commander of the Organized Crime Squad and joins us out. Thank you for your time. Detective. How did this operation work?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hi Clinton, thanks for having me. So. Essentially, the Organized Crime Squad, we're going to Unexplained Wealth team and they look at exactly what this scenario was. People who are out there living well beyond their means and making money from any type of crime really, but organized crime. And they work closely in with the new South Walest Crime Commission. And we identified these people that they've been doing this for about three years and went into resolution on the investigation yesterday finding large amounts of fake, copied luxury goods and seizing these nine high end luxury motor vehicles.
Speaker 2: So what were they selling? What were the luxury goods?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Look at I mean when we executed the three search rights on the premises. It was like going into department store. Essentially. There's absolutely everything. There's sneakers, clothing, watchers, handbags, everything you can think of the high end luxury goods stores sell. They were selling copies off.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you've made these arrests and this is all going to be played out in court, and that process to start at the day, Peter, because I've often wondered when you pull up a set of lights, it can be in the suburbs of Sydney and you look at the car next to you and it's a Lamborghini, And sometimes you look at the driver behind the wheel and they look pretty young, and you think, well, you've done very well for yourself. Maybe you've had a tech startup or something. But you do wonder sometimes where the money is coming from for these cars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, and you know not everyone that drives is doing it illegally, but you know, this is a perfect example of how people can make enough money through committing crime to sort of build like enough wealth to move not only extremely large amounts of cash through their bank accounts, but by these luxury motive vehicles. One motor vehicle alone was worth approximately one million dollars out of the vehicles we seized, and the title of vehicles were well over three million dollars in value, So yeah, I mean, and these people were quite They were blatantly flaunting their wealth that they're making from this. You know, they're on social media posting things in terms of their wealth. So it's always good to get these type of people that. The best thing is that these people are undermining a legitimate business and industry. The legitimate business out there trying to sell goods and they employ a lot of people and those people rely on that employment, so you know, they mind that whole process and industry.
Speaker 2: Of course, this plays out before the courts, but what now happens to what you've seized?
Speaker 3: Essentially there, you know, we have all the goods and there's you know, we've got a large amount of goods to you, well over a thousand different items that we've seized, and you know they're analyzed and certified as being copies or fake or fraudulent, and then it's tirely likely they'll be destroyed at some stage.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you for your time, no problems.
Speaker 3: Thanks Clinton.
Speaker 2: Detective Inspector Peter Foe, who is from the Organized Crime squad the command up now. Certainly not our alleging that everybody he drives a Ferrari in Sydney is a criminal. They're certainly not. But when you pull up at a set of lights in some Sydney suburbs and you look at the drivers of some of these vehicles and you think, gee, twenty two years of age, that kid's done pretty well. From yourself, it does make you wonder.
Speaker 4: Be your part of Sydney now with Clinton may not call one three one eight seven three.
Speaker 2: It's twelve past three. The unemployment rate has remained steady at four point one percent for May, but few are Austrasians were actually in work over the past month. I wonder what this means for interest rates. Brendan rinn is the chief economist with KPMG and joins us. Is this figure a surprise to you, Brendan.
Speaker 5: No, it's not Clinton, And I know at a headline level it sort of doesn't look like much has happened during the month, But when you get behind the numbers, it actually there has been quite a bit going on. What you've seen is that the are switching from part time employment to full time employment. So you had about forty one thousand people changed from part time employment and i'll drop out of part time employment, and about thirty eight and a half thousand people got full time employment. So that's why there was about two and a half thousand.
Speaker 2: People that that's not a bad thing that there are more people in full time jobs, so.
Speaker 5: What Morand it meant that the hours worked increase as well, So we're act lifting up the amount of activity that's happening.
Speaker 2: Because people are always complaining about that the level of underemployment the economy and that statistics don't necessarily always show that level.
Speaker 5: No, that's right, but the underemployment number and just with all of this actually dropped during the quarter during the month as well, so again it does show the resilience within the economy at the moment.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that being the case, So this does show some economic strength. That being the case, what does it mean when the RBA meets again to decide the next movement on interest rates?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I think that they need to be a little bit forward looking. I think one of the things to realize is that we've been stuck at this four point one percent level for quite some time now, five months in a row. We've been and don't get me wrong, it's we're below the level of unemployment that you would have that says your act full employment. So the labor market is tight. But what you're seeing is a lot of that employment growth has happened in what's called the non market sector, so in public services, in age care, in healthcare, and in education. And that's about that's about policy decisions and around quality. Not a lot of employment in the private side of the economy, in the market side of the economy, and interest rates I think are too high to type and what we need to do is drop those down to stimulate businesses making investment activity and household spending a bit more, which will then flow through into private sector employment.
Speaker 2: Hopefully the RBA is of the same mind. Thank you for your time, Brendan, Thanks Clenton, Doctor Brendan Ring the chief economists with KPMG. Quarter past three, around three thousand Australians have now registered to be evacuated from the Middle East from Israel in Iran, and I'm going to talk to an Australian later in the program who's now made it back home. The foreign Mister Penny Wong says increasingly, it's going to be a challenge to get OSSI's out. They're not going to put on dedicated flights so that there's no hercules about to fly into the Middle East to pull Australians out. And I know a lot of you are of the view, well, these people knew when they went to Israel, or when they went to different parts of the Middle East, they knew it was a war zone. It has been the case with quite some time. What they're doing is they're being busted across the border. But that's tricking in itself because think about the borders with Israel, Southern Lebanon or Syria, hardly where you'd want to go. Maybe Jordan's the option. Airspace of the region has been closed. The US President Donald Trump today has refused to outline what his plan is.
Speaker 6: Do you even to answer questions about whether you are moving closer you believe the US is moving closer to striking Iranian nuclear facilities?
Speaker 1: Where's your mindset on that? You can say that, right?
Speaker 7: You don't seriously think I'm going to answer that question. Will you strike the Iranian nuclear component?
Speaker 8: And what time exactly, sir.
Speaker 7: Sir, would you strike it? Would you please inform U so we can be there and watch. You don't know that I'm going to even do it. You don't know I may do it, I may not do it. I mean, nobody knows what I'm going to do. I can tell you this is that Iran's got a lot of trouble and they want to negotiate. And I said, why didn't you negotiate with me before all the death and destruction? Why didn't you ago? I said to the people, why didn't you negotiate with me two weeks ago? You could have done fine, You would have out a country.
Speaker 2: So Penny Wong has now been asked mister Trump's comments, there are those comments unhelpful?
Speaker 9: Well, what is unhelpful is Iran's refusal to commit to discontinuing any nuclear program. So that Eron has a choice here and it should make the choice to discontinue its program, any program, and to return to talks.
Speaker 1: As President Trump also said, it's never too.
Speaker 2: Late our foreign Minister Penny Wong issues with the Opal card network. Coming up next, We're going to conduct, as Sydney Now listeners, honesty session. I want to hear some truth from you that's in a moment one three seven three our number. This is Sydney now seventeen degrees in the city at seventeen degrees in Campbelltown. I was mentioning that it's a lovely afternoon if you want to take the kids of the grand kids down at the local park and maybe practice your goalkicking. New South Wales is looking for a new goalkicker. It's great weather for it, lovely afternoon. I mentioned David on the text line says, come on lovely afternoon, question mark. Not if you're sitting in the traffic heading to the Southerland shy, it's not lovely. It's not great heading home at the moment. If you are in the city heading south, Fiona has a traffic report for us. Whereabouts are you, Fiana?
Speaker 10: I'm in Castle Hill at the back of Castle Hill and it's just fun to stop.
Speaker 2: What road we're about to say? You in Castle Hill Old Northern.
Speaker 10: Roads heading into Castle Hill.
Speaker 2: Does it look like there's an accident there or this is just usual peak hour traffic?
Speaker 10: No, this is worse.
Speaker 8: This is worse.
Speaker 10: And I've seen two police cars got the opposite direction. I can see flashing lights the head on Old or the road in the center towards the shopping center.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, we'll check that out with the police now. So Castle Hill Old Northern Road towards the shopping cent will find out if there's an issue there with the police. Word on the street. Just thanks to temper a great night's sleep, night after night. The difference is temper. If you see something in the roads that we need to know about, letting me know about it. One three one eight seven three is our number. A couple of text messages here about the issue of organized crime and criminals who flaunt their wealth. So the three men who've been arrested over this operation where they've been accused and they've been charged of selling fake high end luxury goods. According to the police, they were bragging about their luxury their wealth online on social media and made the point to Peter Foe, who's the head of the squad that's investigating this, that you see a lot of young people, not a lot, but you see some young people around Sydney Vite driving very expensive motor vehicles and it makes you wonder how they can afford them. Now, that's not to say all young people who drive a Lamborghini are doing the wrong thing. They're certainly not. I mean a lot of young people made a lot of money through property, through tech startups, for instance, but there are others who don't. Jessica says, there are three Lamborghinis that regularly drive around the Southern suburbs white in color, lime green and tangerine orange, and the drivers seem to be very young behind the wheel. Usually if, for instance, you've got a Ferrari, right, you've saved up all your life to buy yourself a Ferrari. You've been very successful in your career. You buy yourself a red Ferrari. You do, you have to buy a red Ferrari. You don't buy a yellow one, say with a Lamborghini. Maybe not yellow? Let me yeah, you buy yellow. Embighinddy, you don't buy yourself a lime green Lamborghini unless you want to stand out from the crowd. I think that's a bit of a giveaway. Jason Reckins, if organized crime, particularly drug dealing, ceased to exist, you would find the sales of some of those high in luxury sports cars would plummet. Twenty five past three. Now, I want some honesty from you this afternoon, and you can stay anonymous with this when you catch the bus. If you catch the bus, do you swipe your ropal card. Now you don't have to identify yourself. I just want to get an understanding of whether a lot of people and I'm not going to put you in I'm not going to get you in trouble, okay, but a lot of people get on a bus and don't use their APLE card, or you don't swipe your phone with your credit card on the phone with Apple Pay. I ask you that because even if you're doing the right thing, it appears that some of the time you can't actually swipe your rople card. I received a word on the street met from one of our bus driver listeners. Word on the streets for temper, great night's sleep night after night. The difference is temper. And if there's something else you want us to look at, that's our word on the street, let me know about it. Via TGB dot com. Now I won't name the driver who's been in contact with this week, but she sent me a message after finishing a shift and she writes, I've spent most of the day with the OPAL on my bus. The open reader offline. Another day of free rides for passengers no meaningful data collected. She writes, this is not a new thing. OPAL has been completely unreliable from the start. It is offline in my experience on my buses maybe thirty to forty percent of the time, if not more. She says, there's no integrity in the data that is collected and that data is important because it gives the bus operators and then Transport for New South Wales information about passengers and where they're going to schedule their services. But there's a big issue here as well. It means the operators and therefore the government they're missing out on ticket revenue. So I've been in contact with Transport for New South Wales just seeking some information about the reliability of our open card system and it is up for replacement. Transport for New South Wales has issued me with a statement. They say they are aware of some incidents where OPAL readers may not have worked for passengers on some buses. While these are not related to any widespread open network issues, Transport for New South Wales works closely with BUCK operators to understand and rectify these issues when they occur, to reset, repair or replace the validators. So what your swipe as needed there are a number of devices on buses that contribute to open working, including the bus driver console, the open readers, and network infrastructure. During twenty twenty four, so they don't have figures for this year, but last year the overall reliability and the equipment on the bus network achieved a performance of ninety nine point eighty five percent. So unless it's just a problem with my driver's bus, she reckons between thirty to forty percent. The open card readers don't work. The opal card network is going to be replaced in the next couple of years, and that's another story, and I'll mention that later, but just tell me about your experience. Firstly, if you catch buses of the open cards work all the time that the readers, Now I don't catch buses are his trains, and the readers always work so that they'll always get me for the fair. But beyond that, I just want some honesty from you. Do you actually pay the fair or given there's only a bus, there's no ticket inspector off and on a bus, do you're ride for free? Just let me know, no judgment here. You tell me one three one eight seven three and good afternoon, Katie Foller.
Speaker 11: Good afternoon Clinton. Almost three thousand Australians have registered to be evacuated out of Israel and Iran amid escalating tensions between the countries. A small group has been tagken through a land crossing in Israel. No one has been rescued from Iran due to the security situation. Seven men have been charged following a three day operation focused on arresting alleged domestic violence offenders in the state's north. Among those taken into custody was a twenty eight year old man allegedly found hiding in a wardrobe nearly is More research suggests covid, RSV and the flu can increase the risk of heart attack or stroke. A team from the University of Melbourne has found the viruses lead to inflammation in the body, which temporarily increases the risk of blood clots, and using AI tools has been found to erode critical thinking skills. A US study found those who use chat GPT to write essays performed worse when tested on various skills compared with those who do their own work. In sport, Joseph Swale has been named in a thirty six man Wallaby squad for next month's Test match against Fiji. The former NRL star has overcome a fractured jaw. Clinton More News at four.
Speaker 2: Thank you Kat. Seventeen degrees in the CBD. It's sixteen degrees in Campbelltown at the moment. Peter Ford coming up in just a tick. But Opal cards, just tell me the truth. When you get onto a bus or other forms of public transport in Sydney, do you wipe your open card? Hello Rick?
Speaker 12: But yeah, I'll tell you the strett. I don't pay when I get on the bus. I don't use the card.
Speaker 13: I just get on because mate.
Speaker 3: I can't afford it since the card never paid out on Golden Point for all the punters, and that we've all got no money.
Speaker 2: Well, gamble responsibly, as they say, But you probably need to come up with a better excuse if a ticket inspector catches you, Rick, other than you didn't do too well on the punt. Hello Stephen, Hey mate, Yeah, no, I never tap on, and I know a lot of people that don't tap on as well. Do you find the aple card readers work when you do try to tap on?
Speaker 12: I'll be honest with you, I've never even tried.
Speaker 2: Now, this is an honesty session. So no judgment. Does it make you feel bad.
Speaker 13: No, it doesn't because the cost of living is beyond the joke.
Speaker 2: Okay, good on your Stephen, Thank you mate. Bob's in Windsor Hello Bob.
Speaker 8: Hello.
Speaker 2: Do you use your Aple card all the time? Good boy?
Speaker 14: Get a free transport?
Speaker 2: Oh well, that makes it easy for you.
Speaker 14: But I don't give up until it's swipes.
Speaker 13: Now.
Speaker 14: I see the bus drivers couldn't give a rat And if people's swipe or don't swipe, they just get on and walk up the back now and the bus drivers a word.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the bus drivers feel they've got enough on their plates other than policing the affairs. Thank you, Bob. I'll come to more of your feedback on this shortly. Just tell me the truth, particularly with buses. Do you use your Opal card? Some traffic dramas that we've been reporting the Old Northern Road not far from the shopping center at Castle Hill. Thanks for this information one of our listeners. There's a van broken down. Police are on the scene. It is opposite the church is northbound on the traffic side, so northbound Old Northern Road, Castle Hill. Alex Cullen, who was on the Today Show, for a few years, has got himself a new job, Peter Ford with all the details, are they.
Speaker 15: Peter planding on your feet? I'm pleased for him that you didn't get off to a good start obviously when he was let go by the Today Show for doing so that was outright stupid, you know, taking that dare or that bet by Adrian for Tally, the multi multi millionaire to use a nickname that he liked. It was stupid and he got paid a very heavy price for it out the door. But fast forward a few months and things are great. Unfortunately though it does mean that Alex has to relocate to Melbourne with his family. But today it was announced he's going to be the sports reporter on the Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show in Melbourne, which is an FM radio show very successful in the Melbourne breakfast radio market. It's owned by three aw as it is owned in Sydney by two GB so the FM's going to scramble out for what they can get the scraps after that. But Christian does a very good show and that's a great gig for Alex and he also it fits him perfectly because he's coming to Melbourne to host the afternoon new program on seven when that gets up and going. So he's going to be working quite long days though, because I would imagine for breakfast radio he would have to be in there at the very latest at five o'clock in the morning and then it'll be working right through until late afternoon at seven. But I'm sure he's thrilled.
Speaker 2: Oh he's a good fellow, Alex. I'm glad he's landed on his feet.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I'm not sure many of our listeners are a big fan of this man's work.
Speaker 16: I know w now lone Bleink knowing me one day.
Speaker 2: So that's a song called Hotline Blein quite appropriate for talk about radio brogram plead by a star named Drake.
Speaker 15: Yeah, he is very big time, even if you don't know him. He's very big time in that hip hop moving into R and B and pop, and he's been around fifteen years, hugely successful in that world. But he's a big gambler to say the least. So this is something he's posted up today. This is not speculation. This is something he has shared with his followers on social media. So in the past week gambling, he has waged fifty million two hundred and fifty five thousand dollars and for that, unfortunately for him, he's down five million, eight hundred and twenty two thousand dollars In the past fortnight, he's waged seventy five million, three hundred and eighteen thousand dollars and he's down five million, nine hundred and twenty eight thousand in the past month. I'm terrible with figures, and this is these are big numbers. In the past month, he's spent one hundred and twenty four million, five hundred and twenty seven thousand dollars on gambling, and he's down eight million, two hundred and thirty five thousand dollars. Now, it raises a whole bunch of questions. Number One, why do you want to share that with people? Is he trying to provide some kind of salient lesson about the evils of gambling and how dangerous it can be. The other question for me is what's he betting on? You know, I do fifty bucks on the Queen of the Nile down at the pokys, and that's about the extent for me. What kind of gambling is he putting that money on it? It's remarkable I.
Speaker 2: Also wonder about the motivation for putting this up there online. Now, I've just been talking about a police operation in Sydney where three men have been arrested and police are able to arrest these people who are accused of operating a counterfeit luxury goods ring because they were bragging about their wealth, namely buying Lamborghini's and McLaren sports cars. Is that just part of the hip hop world that they like to flaunt their wealth.
Speaker 15: I think that's a part of it. But in the piece that he's put up, when he actually says I need to share with you the other side of gambling, and you think, well, that's good. He's showing people how no matter what level of amount of money you're spending, you can lose and you probably will lose. But then he goes on to basically say, I'm hoping I'm going to be able to post a big win for you all soon to see. So it's not exactly and if you look at if you do the maths on it, what he's spent per week, per fortnite, per month, his amount per week is going up a lot, So he's clearly chasing those losses, which is what gamblers will very often do.
Speaker 2: No matter how much money is in their bank account. Thank you, Peter, Thanks clipping our entertained reporter pewter Ford.
Speaker 1: If it matters to you, you'll hear it here. Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard until set.
Speaker 2: A man's been arrested after police uncovered a three D printer operation that has been manufacturing in somebody's home, effectively guns and weapons. A strikeforce has been examining the importation of three D printed firearms and firearm parts, but also three D computer aided design software and privately manufactured weapons. They've raided the home in the Blue Mountains in Blackheath, and during the raid, police say they've located in excess of one hundred various three D printed firearm parts, including magazines and triggers. They've seized a couple of completed firearms, a pistol and a long arm, and some imports as well. But this is the reality what police are now dealing with in the criminal underworld, three D printers being used to make weapons. The occupant of the home, a twenty nine year old man, has been arrested. Take it at contumber Prece station. He's now facing a range of charges. I've got lots of feedback on whether you pay affairs using an open card, or whether, particularly with a bus, whether you just take the risk and you don't bother. Now Martin is a bus driver. Hello Martin, I know how you go. I'm good. Do you see a lot of people getting on board your bus and not even bothering to pay?
Speaker 13: Okay, here's the thing. Years ago, revenue protection was real revenue protection. So the officers were big blokes. You didn't want to mess with them. They were just huge guys, and they were physically allowed to take people off the bus that didn't pay. Today they looked like school kids, stressful stool uniforms. Okay, they walk off the bus. I'll walk up to up a passenger ferravader and they'll say, ticket mate, show me a ticket. I'm not one, so okay, I'm not. I wonder you have any ID, so get nick. That problem walks off.
Speaker 2: I come across them quite regularly on trains, Martin. I don't really catch the bus, but catch the train. And I do see them questioning people. I've seen them issue fines. Now, I found myself in a position once where they said I hadn't tapped on my open card correctly, and they did take my details down and they were right. I for some reason didn't tap on, and they were able to look at my record and find that I do regularly tap on, so they sent me a warning letter. So I wonder if it's different than the buses compared to the trains.
Speaker 13: That's only, that's the only if you voluntarily give it to them, they cannot ah, and that's the difference. They can't flauce you. They can't say to you, you have to give me a ID now. The only people that can do that is the transit police, and they run the rail. They're on the rail.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's a different story thanks to that information Martin, who's a bus driver. Jim says on the text line, Yes, I swipe, but my rule is simple. If the front open reedles doesn't work, I don't bother trying the other. The same goes for the other way, this one from Lisa. I use my open card and the readers do work every single time. Those that use their credit card or phone, though, I find those people have issues. Mike and Cronulla says the number of young people I see jumping gates at railway stations is beyond comprehension of a regular train user. I use it every day, see it all the time, as I'm sure you do as well. The station masters at major station the turn a blind eye. The behavior has been happening for decades. It must be costing the state government a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Until six.
Speaker 4: This is Sydney now with Clinton Maynard on two GB call now one three one seven three.
Speaker 2: A few weeks ago, I brought you the program from Taree, a Mid North coast so savagely affected by the floods, and I think it's important that we don't forget about people who have been affected by natural disasters well outside of Sydney, because it's it's so easy for us to move on when we're not affected by these things. There's some concerns that have been raised in the papers today about the number of people who do not qualify for the federal government and the state government. And the government did extend part of this assistance scheme this week. They've added some more suburbs on the Mid North Coast in the Hunter Valley for businesses and homeowners so they will be able to apply for some But there's been suggestions that the grant level isn't high enough, so businesses who have been affected and qualify can access up to twenty five thousand dollars, but a lot of businesses saying, particularly primary producers farmers, this won't go anywhere near enough. There is another category of funding, it's called Category D funding and it's worth seventy five thousand dollars. Problem is a lot of the various primary producers on the Mid North Coast who have suffered they don't qualify as a Category D, and really the government's only pushing Category C, which is twenty five thousand dollars. A couple of weeks ago we spoke to May now. May is, like many in the area, has been denied financial assistance by Service New South Wales. She couldn't even apply for the minimum one hundred and eighty dollars. So I want to talk to May again. She owns an arcade in Tare.
Speaker 17: Hello May, Hi Clinton, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm Okavid, how are you.
Speaker 17: Well? We are surviving. We are coming together as a community and trying to make some sense of all of this. You know, we are. The flood rewards have receded, but the heartache is deepening as the reality set's in, you know, the fact that we are forming a community flood rally this coming Monday to get as many people as we can to sign a petition to try and classify this event as a Category D, which it was classified as in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: Now that's I mentioned the category D. So category D. If it was Category D, you'd be entitled a primer producer, for instance, business seventy five thousand dollars. Now, body I've spoken to in Tara in the surrounds tell me this flood is worse than twenty twenty one.
Speaker 17: It is, it's double the like it's the size of this flood is twice the size of the twenty twenty one flood. There's thousands of people that have been impacted, homeowners, at least one hundred businesses have been impacted this time, and they are all suffering because at this stage we are you know, we've gone through the process of stripping out buildings and removing walls, removing flooring, and now we're left with an empty space waiting for government to come back and tell us that we can move on. We were twenty five thousands for a business owner won't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: So are you entitled to the twenty five five we are.
Speaker 17: As a business. Yes, that when we put the arcade back together in twenty twenty one, it was to us a financial expenditure of nearly three hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, so twenty five doesn't go too fast.
Speaker 17: We are very frustrated because, as you know, we had a lot of media coverage. We had the premiere Chris Means come, we had Janelle Savin come, we had the Miniter for Disasters and Emergency Services and the Prime minister.
Speaker 2: The Prime Minister visited parts of the region as well.
Speaker 17: He did, he did. Now we've been so like my nephew who has reached out because Janelle Saffron, let me say straight off, she reached out to us, knowing on the recommendation from Chris Means that she reach out to us, and then twice he has emailed and then tried to find we haven't had a response back. I mean, do we have to you know.
Speaker 2: What you need help? You need help. So so Monday you're holding a rally and there'll be a petition to make sure that we'll have the area recategorized as a Category D, which would intold you more government assistant, so it to be on Monday. That's Monday, Okay, mate, we'll talk to you again on Monday because we're not going to let this go because people in Tarre surrounding districts you need help, Okay, So we'll talk to you again on Monday.
Speaker 17: May, yep, thank you.
Speaker 2: I am or who is the owner of an arcade in Tarre, and then they have shopkeepers who run their little businesses from that particular arcade. And you might say, well, you know, these people should have proper business insurance. These people shouldn't be relying on government handouts. But insurance is completely unaffordable since the twenty twenty one floods, the premiums have gone through the roof. No business can and no individual can afford the premiums that have been asked off. We as a society have an obligation to help people like May. So we'll be a rally on Monday and we'll talk about it next week. There are plenty of dramas on the roads this afternoon. Think if your message, Claudeine, She tells me. M one Joel's Bridge, so north of Sydney, heading north Middle Lane and the outside lane. Someone has just dropped to tarp and building materials just before you get to the first set of the old speed cameras. Okay, so this is the m one between Sydney and the Central Coast Joel's Bridge. If you're going northbound. There's some building materials all over the road and a tarp as well. So it's the middle lane and the outside lane. Thanks for letting me know about that. Claudeine. We have been reporting with Catherine about the dramas on Canterbury Road, just past Duke Street in Canterbury, a car has hit a pedestrian. We've just spoken with the New South Wales Ambulance Service. They tell us a Wood in her seventies has now been taken to a care Andbury hospital. She has minor head and shoulder injuries. The emergency services that actually cleaned up the scene pretty quickly. They've now left one of two eastbound lanes, though it remains closed. Ben Forden broke the big story this morning about a thousand families being sent a letter. Now, this is a letter about a man who was accused of inappropriate behavior and having what's deemed to be confronting material on his phone. And the Australian Federal Police has now confirmed what Ben brought us this morning. Now, it does not mean that this man has come into direct contact with the children from these thousand families, but the AFP believes it is only right that those families know what has occurred here. The Premier has also spoken about this today, but he says the identity of the man cannot be revealed for legal reasons.
Speaker 18: There are strict rules in place in terms of reporting requirements. Once an allegation has been made and there's a credible inquiry that's been unfolding. And whilst I completely acknowledged that's a confronting it, correspondent.
Speaker 2: If you were to have received that letter, understandably you'd be quite concerned about what you've just read and what you've been hearing about. But it does not mean that that your child, if you are in this position, your child has had direct contact with this man. Some may well have, But the AFP and our local police are also involved in this. Because the man is accused of criminal behavior, inappropriate behavior, the AFP has deemed it appropriate that people are actually told what has occurred here. I've just been reading the Sydney Morning Herald this afternoon about some of the inmates at the Francis Greenway Correctional Complex in Berkshire Park in western Sydney. Now it's a jail. Turns out some of the inmates are reptiles literally blue tongue lizards, freshwater turtles and pythons. I hadn't heard this before. Apparently, when, for instance, somebody finds a lizard and they bring up wires, wires ends up taking these reptiles to the jail. Apparently the inmates have some work trying to rehabilitate the reptiles and then they're given to reptile handlers down the track.
Speaker 1: There is Sidney. Now we've clinton on t GB.
Speaker 2: It's seven past four. We've just received during the news a tip off from one of our listeners who has seen four police cars flying past them the Relan Road heading towards Campbelltown. An ambulance as well. We've just been in contact with the local police and the local police say, look, they can't say too much of the moment about what's happening, but they've directed us towards police headquarters. Headquarters tell us they'll provide us with a full statement of moment. So something is occurring in the Campbelltown region. If you know anything, let us know, give me a call now one three one eight seven three. So this is Norellan Road, Campbelltown. Four police cars. There is an ambulance involved as well. It looks like something is now unfolding. If you see something, if you know something, you can send me a text message as well. Zero force zero eight seven three eight seven to three. All lives will be on the Quarry Street Parliament House in State Politics to morrow because there could be unprecedented scenes and I'm not exaggerating of as many as five government staff being arrested. I'm serious. You may well have heard Ben talk to the Premier Chris Mins about this little earlier in the week. These five have been effectively summons to appear before a parliamentary inquiry, an Upper House inquiry. The inquiry is investigating the circumstances around the Dural caravan, the caravan that was found with explosives that Chris Min's at the time, and we took his press conference live on the show when this was all breaking. This was in January, where Chris Mins says this potentially could have been a mass terrorist event, a mass casualty event Well, it was later discovered and police had conducted their investigations that know that wasn't the case. This was effectively a setup by the criminal underworld. But Chris Mins's Premier had put warnings out there because of the fear about anti Semitism in Sydney's eastern suburbs in particular. This may well have been part of a terror plot. So there's a nupper House inquiry in state parlmer. Now, there are a lot of inquiries that occur in Parliament. Most of it is political with the opposition or the crossbenches trying to bash up the government or actually ascertain critical information about happenings in state politics. So they do play a role. I think there are too many inquiries in general, but they do play a role. What may transpire tomorrow is unprecedented. So just in the last half hour or so, I've been sent the witness list for the hearing tomorrow that is scheduled for the McQuary room in Parliament House. Now, you, as a member of the public, can actually turn up to Parliament tomorrow and people do this and sign in as a member of the public. This is how our democracy works and sit in the macquary room and watch this inquiry. The issue is going to be though the five witnesses who have been called they won't be appearing, so they have been summoned to a PEPO for the inquiry. It includes the chief of staff of Chris Mins. It includes his deputy chief of staff, his communications manager, but also two staff members including the chief of staff of the Police Minister Yasmin Catley. Now I've been doing a fair bit of digging on this one today to find out exactly what's going on here. If they do not appear at ten forty five tomorrow, there can be a process where they're arrested. No, this is not HARKing back to the times of Henry the Eighth that we know beheading of anybody, but there can be the prospect and this is what the push will be for for their arrests. And it would even could even go as far as the five people being kept in custody overnight or until there is another hearing of this particular inquiry to force them to give evidence. Mind you, they could turn up and just not open their mouths and just not answer questions. I guess what would it need to occur is the Speaker or the President of the Upper House is a gentleman by the name of Ben Franklin. Ben Franklin would have to go through a process of making an application by the Supreme Court for the arrests. But there are special constables, so there are police officers who are stationed at Parliament House. There are people who who could actually carry out the arrests in Parliament House. Of the five they wouldn't be held in a dungeon under Parliament House or anything. They'd be taken off to a local cop shop and held overnight, I'm being told, And that's because they're refusing to give evidence. But it's got to come from the President of the Upper House, Ben Franklin. And he then goes effectively seeking a Supreme Court order for the police at Parliament House to make the arrests. Here's the twist. Ben Franklin, very controversially was a President of the Upper House. He was member of the Nationals and the Nationals were outraged by this because they effectively lose a vote. Who appointed him the President of the Upper House? Well, the Labor government did. Ben Franklin, and this is on the public record. Is close He's considered a friend of the Premier, Chris Mins, So there's going to be a lot of pressure on Ben Franklin tomorrow. Will he do what the committee wants and force these five staff members to give evidence through asking for their arrest, or will he back his friend Chris Mins, who obviously does not want the staff to attend. Now, Chris Mins has spoken about this today during his daily press conference. He spoke about this with Ben Fordham on Tuesday and the Premier made it very clear he does not want the staff to attend, and in the words of one of my contacts in the government today says the Dural inquiry is a conspiracy theory freak show between Rob Roberts from police officer who is running the inquiry, the Greens and the Liberals. It's a conspiracy theory freak show. So the Premier does not want his staff to appear before this particular inquiry, so that they're unlikely to turn up at ten forty five tomorrow. So Ben Franklin's going to make a decision. Will he ask the Supreme Court to issue arrest warrants for these five staff members, maybe keep them in custody overnight, or will he side with the Premier. But he's the twist. If he sides with the Premier when Parliament resumes next week, the Upper House MPs could cause call out a no confidence motion and they then have the numbers against the government. They could have no confidence in Ben Franklin. Okay, you might think, so what, but that could mean that Ben Franklin loses his job. Now, Ben Franklin is on a good wicket. He's paid in excess I believe of three hundred thousand dollars, and he has all the he has a special office, he has all the luxuries of being the President of the up House. So he's going to face a choice. Does he stick by the Premier and risk his job if there's a no confidence motion or does he order And this would be unprecedented the arrest of government staff members for not giving evidence to an inquiry. It's completely unheard of, and it might seem like a bunch of you know, the semantics that don't really matter, but it's quite unprecedented what's going on now. Somehow, I don't think it's going to come to all this tomorrow. It's going to be fascinating to watch. But the Premier himself, he is not. He can't be com held to appear for this inquiry. And the staff, the chief of staff of the Premier's Office, he has given evidence to these styles of inquiries before and it might just be a whole tactic to put Chris Min's in a position so he fronts up to this inquiry. Staff from the Premier's Office have actually regularly given evidence to these inquiries over the years, but they believe this one is more complicated. There's a dispute between the Lower House and the Upper House about the inquiry. There are issues before the Privileges Committee of Parliament. There's issues about whether this inquiry is justified at all. So it's a complete political mess. But the threat here is that there could be I shouldn't laugh because I know the people involved here, but they could be arrested and thrown in a prison cell, or there could be a vote of no conference in Ben Franklin, who then risks his job which pays more than three hundred thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 4: If it's happening in Sydney, you'll hear it on Sydney Now with Clinton.
Speaker 2: On to gb Okay, let's find out if we can find discover what's happening in Campbelltown the Reland Road. We've seen police cars racing down Therellan Road in the last ten minutes or so. Wayne has a little bit more information for us, Salo. Wayne.
Speaker 12: Okay, mate, how are you good?
Speaker 2: What do you know?
Speaker 12: Okay? I just I just exited an Irellan Road southbound and in the northbound lanes in the breakdown bay, there was four police cars and two ambulances all with their lights on, and there was two highway patrol cars in the sense divide with their lights on, and the police stand and they look like they're waiting for somebody or something, but I don't know what, but they're all There was four cop cars and two ambulances in the breakdown bay and another two in the media industry, all waiting for somebody.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks that eyewitness report there. Wayne. David is also in the area. What have you seen, David?
Speaker 19: Yeah, I saw the same thing, mate, compending to some one in the back of the ambers that they had a bottleproof vest on and then there's two cop cars waiting for escorts.
Speaker 20: It said medical escort.
Speaker 2: The police you saw had bulletproof vests on.
Speaker 8: Yeah, leading into the back of the Airbo.
Speaker 2: Okay, would that would be the reason why the local police have referred us to police headquarters for an official statement. Steve, you have some information. What have you seen, Steve, I've got the same.
Speaker 20: Thing as them as I've never seen the urgent medical escort on police in the middle of the a leadiumship of HU Motorway.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks for letting us know about this. We will seek that information from police headquarters now about what's transpired because if there are a police who who are using bulletproof vests at the moment, obviously this is a deep concern. But this is an unfolding situation. Norell And Road Campbelltown. Certainly, if you can provide us with some information, send me a text message zero force of zero eight seven three eight seven three. More and more Australians are buying electric vehicles, whether you're a fan of them or not. There's going to be an issue about how our roads are funded in the future when the take up rate increases. As you realize you pay for the upkeep of our roads through fuel excise and registration and all the other taxes that we pay. But ev drivers well, they don't pay the same amount because they don't pay fuel excise. The Treasurer Jim Charmers, well, he's now coming around to the view that EV owners should be paying their fair share and he is suggesting a new rows who use a charge. Now New South Wales has been looking and introducing a tax by twenty twenty seven. Particularly i VV sales can increase to about thirty percent if it reaches and I think that's maybe about ten percent of the moment, but if we reach the level of thirty percent, it's going to have a big impact on the budget and New South Wales will have to act. There's a problem though, because there was taxes in Victoria that were introduced and they were knocked over by the High Court. The charge would potentially be based on how far you drive, So under this particular proposal, there'd be a charge of two point nine zero six cents per kilometer. So you were to drive say fifteen hundred k's a year, it'd be four hundred and thirty five dollars each year and the rate would increase with inflation. Now, the federal government is not finalized this because partly because Victoria has had the problems with the High Court. If you have an ev What do you think about that? Do you think that'd be fair if you do have to pay a charge? Trent nikolicch covers all motoring issues with us from drive dot com dot AU.
Speaker 21: Hello Trent, Hello mate, Good afternoon to your listeners as well.
Speaker 2: It has been on the agenda for some time, but this is really the first time the gym charmers, the federal Treasurer has come out and said, look, we need to do something. We do need a charge for EV drivers, don't we.
Speaker 21: Well absolutely, I mean it had to happen. You and I have been talking about it and your lists although that I've spoken about it before. And if the federal Minister, Chris Bowen is the one pushing everybody to buy evs and talking about how great they are, well, then the federal government, which collects the fuel excise, as you said, is going to need to come up with a way of ensuring that electric vehicles are using the roads.
Speaker 2: Fairly, because if you've got a hybrid at the moment, right so, toyoud has been very successful with hybrids. I think all of their passenger fleet to the moment, it's not a high lux, but the general passenger fleet. There are hybrids, you are still paying some excise, but not as much as other users.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 21: Absolutely, So if you're talking about a medium suv and one is hybrid and one is not, And just in case your listeners aren't aware, the fuel excise is around about fifty cents a liter, it's a lot, right, So it's a hell of a lot. It's between fifty and fifty one. If you're driving a regular suv and one is not hybrid and one is, the hybrid will use about half as much fuel to do the same job. So you are still paying fuel excise, but you're paying about half as much as a regular vehicle owner.
Speaker 2: Okay, so how do you believe this system should be going for going forward?
Speaker 21: Well, look, every time it's mentioned, there'll be the typical bleeding and whining from the EV Council and anybody who's an advocate for all of us to be driving electric vehicles. So let's just put all of that noise to one side, because you know, everybody knows that people who own electric vehicles have been getting a free ride since day one. The cars were subsidized to start with, and in many cases still were until recently. The charging was subsidized the infrastructure for the charging was paid for by somebody else, and in a lot of instances the charging was free. So if you put all of that to one side, the next thing that then comes up is a per kilometer charge. As you said, a lot of people say, and even I thought this in the beginning. I thought, well, that's going to penalize the people who live in the outer suburbs who have to travel long distances for work. But the unfortunate reality for those people, and in effect you and I are a bit like that, right, we don't live in the inner city, so all of us who have to travel a bit further, the unfortunate reality is we're already being penalized because we use more fuel and therefore we pay more fuel excise. So you know, the number for the average Australian at the moment is somewhere around two and a half or three thousand bucks a year. You're paying in fuel excise as part of your fuel use. So I think it's the number landed around about that for the average distance traveled.
Speaker 12: I think that's fair.
Speaker 2: EV's sales of EVS and Europe of plat ode in Australia, it's probably a little slow than it was. You review evs all the time, you're on anti electric vehicle. Do you think that the take up rate is going to keep slowing or do you think there'll be a change.
Speaker 21: I think we've reached a really interesting point. Plug in hybrids and hybrids have gone through the roof in terms of sales, and electric vehicles have plateaued or gone backward a little bit. I think last year the number was just rounded out at just over six percent. The year before it was just over eight percent in Australia new vehicle sales. I think the problem that you've got clinton and again, the example I use all the time is a Porsche nine to eleven is a fantastic car, but not for everybody and not for every driving discipline. Therefore, I don't recommend that everybody go out and try and buy a Porsche nine to eleven. Now, obviously that's an outlandish example, but an electric vehicles the same. There's a lot of things that it doesn't do well. There are plenty of things that it does very well. So I think for those of you who live in the city, who don't travel long distances, who don't go four wheel driving or toe caravans or use your vehicle for work for long distance driving, then you should absolutely consider an EV if you can afford it. But I think what's happened is a lot of Australians Clinton have sort of really thought about it over the last twelve to eighteen months and thought, you know what, an electric vehicle doesn't actually do exactly what I need my car to do right now, and therefore I can't buy one.
Speaker 2: It's all about balance. Thank you, Trent, Thank you mate, Trent nickoltriendrive dot com dot Au've got a view and maybe you're an owner of an EV. How do you think we should proceed with this because we still need to be able to fund the roads. Let me know one three one eight seven three. There is an unfolding situation in the Campbelltown area. So as we've been reporting with your help this afternoon, up to four to five police vehicles on Norellan Road along with ambulance officers that are attending to a particular event there. Now what it looks like based on what you're telling and we are seeking a formal statement from the police at the moment, is somebody is being loaded into the back of an ambulance that the paramedics are being assisted by police who are wearing bulletproof fists. The information is very scant at the moment. This is on Norellan Road near the Hume Highway, so it must just be at the intersection of the on ramps there. There are some roads blocked off in that region as well. When I get some more information formally, i'll bring this to you. But this is Norellan Road heading into Hume Highway, so there is a police operation unfolding right at the moment. Now I'm getting some more information about what's going to occur at Parlman House tomorrow with this suggestion that as many as five government staffers could be arrested, and it seems a little far fetched, but this is going to play out tomorrow morning, five government staffers who've been called to give evidence to the inquiry into the dual caravan issue. And the staff members won't be giving evidence. Now I've been told with this suggestion of being arrested, they wouldn't be put in jail, for instance, they'd be held at Parliament House, so they'd probably be told to stay in your offices while we sought this out. But I've also just been sent some details of legislation, so, for instance, the penalty refusing to answer questions before one of these inquiries. If any witnesses refuse to answer any lawful question during the witnesses examination, so this is if they actually appear, the witness shall be deemed guilty of contempt of Parliament and may be forthwith committed for such an defense into custody of the Usher of the black Rod or Sergeant at Arms, So that would indicate the Usher of the black Rod bloke who runs the Upper House Parliament. He then confine that person who didn't give the evidence to a particular room at Parliament House. However, the legislation goes on to say if the House so order to jail for any period not exceeding one calendar month by warrant under the hand of the Speaker or the President. I don't think anyone's going to be sent to jail for a month over this, but it's going to be a fight the next twenty four hours. The unfolding situation in Campbelltown, Norell Road, just near the Hume Highway. We've had reports of as many as five six police cars, several ambulances, somebody being loaded into the back of one of those ambulances by police wearing bulletproof vests. John's just sent me a message. He says he's seen eight police cars escorting two ambulances on Moorbank Avenue to Liverpool Hospital. That may well be related to the incident from Campbelltown. We are now hearing from multiple sources. We are still to get confirmation from the police. But there is an investigation into a shooting at the Elderly caravan park, so that's near Camden So further south. We are seeking confirmation at the moment from the police at what is exactly happening. Let's check out his headlines. Now we've got the latest.
Speaker 11: Katie Fuller, Good afternoon, Clinton. As you've been saying, it's understood a man has been shot by police in a caravan park at Elderly in Sydney's southwest. Heavily armed police are on scene. CEB resident so being worn to be on alert for symptoms of Legionnaire's disease. There's been an outbreak at Pott's Point. New South Wales Health is investigating to find this source. The sole survivor of the Air India plane crash, who's farewelled his brother who was killed in the crash. He was discharged from hospital a few days ago and helped carry the coffin at his funeral. And two lifelong sweethearts from Newcastle have been recognized as the nation's longest married couple. Delma and Frank Murray tied the not eighty years ago. In Sport, a tennis fan has luckily avoided serious injury after being struck by a falling advertising banner at a tournament in Germany. The sixty two year old woman was handed an ice pack by local hero Alexander Zerev before going to hospital for further tests. Clinton More News at five.
Speaker 2: K Katie fifteen degrees in the city, thirteen degrees at Terry Hills. At the moment of a message from one of our listeners, the police convoy has just gone past Liverpool Station, the train station. They're heading towards the hospital, so they'd be at the hospital now. So, as Katie just mentioned in the news, reports that police have been involved in a shooting at the Elderly Caravan Park, which is near Camden. We are seeking confirmation from the police about what exactly has transpired, but we've had eyewitness reports of somebody being loaded into the back of an ambulance on the Reland Road, so not far from Campbelltown. The police were wearing bulletproof vests, so we will find out exactly what's happening from the police shortly. But would appear that somebody is now being taken to Liverpool Hospital under a police convoy. On evs, electric vehicles, how should they be taxed? How should the driver of an EV contribute to road maintenance costs? Ricks in Lagano? Good afternoon, Rick.
Speaker 19: Quinn, Yeah, a good afternoon, great mate, haven't got missing as exciting as you're breaking news, but just on the road user costs for electric vehicles. They charged seventy eight dollars one thousand kilometers for a full EV and they charged thirty eight dollars a thousand kilometers for a pH EV.
Speaker 2: And so how is I wonder how that's governed? Do you your self? I just wonder how they's governed. Does the driver of the EV self report how.
Speaker 1: Far they go?
Speaker 19: They got to buy a voucher and it's got to be displayed on the wind screen, and if they're pulled up, it doesn't comply or match their fined.
Speaker 2: Okay, Thanks for that information, Jason. What's your thought on this one.
Speaker 22: Jason, just about the governing that what my idea was, we've got to as a petrol car every five years, we've got to get a pink slip. So why don't we have a safety check for all the evs and our hybrids every year and then they record the kilometers after that and then charged a certain amount.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because at once it's it's the first five is it the first five years or three years of car ownership that you don't actually require inspection five years I'm getting mined Une to morrow.
Speaker 22: Yeah, been at Lithian Battery with the evs. Wouldn't they have to be checked as a safety each year just so they can record the kilometers down and then after that's done it's been posted in the mail. How much they got to pay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that may be one way to deal with it. Thank you. Jason. Rod is an EV and Rod makes a point here on the text line, how about those with internal combustion engine cars? How about attacks for the carbon emissions produced? Well? Our politicians over the years, Rod have certainly promised no carbon tax. Straight shooters coming up with David Elliott in a moment, we are just piecing together exactly what's transpired in Camden and Norellan over the past half hour or so. I'm looking at live video that's coming in from the Channel nine helicopter of the Elderly caravan Park which is in Camden, so i can see there's a police car and there's another emergency surfers vehicle at this particular Carr Park. Now our understanding is a man has been shot by the police and likely that man has now been taken to Liverpool Hospital. So there's then been a situation nearby Norelln Road where a man has been seen by our listeners being loaded into the back of an ambulance but assisted by police. With the paramedics than the police were wearing wearing armored vests, bulletproof vests. So we still don't have official confirmation from the police about what has transpired in the past half an hour or so, but certainly there has been it his I'm looking at live pictures at the moment of the caravan park. There's been a shooting at a caravan park where it would appear that police have shot somebody in this caravan park. We don't know the circumstances surrounding that. From what you've told me, you've seen a police convoy heading back towards Liverpool to Liverpool Hospital. Will bring you more information as it comes to hand on Sydney.
Speaker 1: Now you trans handle the truth the street steam well.
Speaker 2: The former Policemani's David Elliott joins me at this time every day and David, you can see the vision that I'm looking at the moment of the caravan park, which it's difficult to ascertain exactly what's transpired, but this does demonstrate that the dangers that police confront almost every day.
Speaker 23: Well, that's right, and we're very very unusual in this date to see police actually draw their weapons, let alone use it. It does happen, obviously, but not compared to a lot of other jurisdictions, both here and overseas. And by the looks of it, that's a Camden patrol car with the command vehicle from New Southwales Police and I think that you'll probably have a critical incident team there as well as a debriefing of the poor officer who's had to use that firearm.
Speaker 2: So the critical incident is always called whenever the police open fire, and this circumstances. Automatically it's deemed a critical incident. Yep, Okay, Now I can see the vision I'm looking at the moment it is focusing on. When I say it's a caravan park. This features some of those those temporary on site vans. There is police tape that's now wrapped around one of those on site vans, and I'm looking from the Channe nine helicopter at the moment, so it would appear that the incident has occurred around that on site van. We don't know whether it was inside the mobile home or on the grounds of the caravan, but our understanding is the person who has been shot is now in Liverpool Hospital. Now your stomping ground and Macquarie Street. Indeed, we are seeing some unprecedented action transpiring at the moment, and I am being sent messages from all sides of politics. It's it's hard to know exactly what the rules are when it comes to somebody who is summons to appear before an Upper House inquiry. What we do know, and this all relates to the inquiry into the Dural caravan that was packed full of explosives. What we do know is a Lower House MP such as a premier or a police minister is not compelled to appear before these inquiries, so Chris Mins does not have to appear.
Speaker 23: Correct based on the principle that the premier and ministers have to respond or certainly reply to any questions in question time and then of course twice a year they go, if not more, they go before Estimates Committee. Now having said all of that, they don't even have to answer questions in question time. We used to say it's a question time, not answer time. And in the and An Estimates Committee you can put everything on notice. And I think this year Michael Michael Daily put a record number of questions onto notice. But I think what we're seeing here Clinton is a dangerous precedence being set. I think that the requests from the Parliament to subpoena and therefore threaten the arrest of staffers is dangerous. And I say that because staffers, parliamentary staff as political staff, as ministerial staffers are often exposed, well, are exposed to all the information that a minister is except what is debated in cabinet. But most debates in cabinet only occur on the back of a briefing center and advice that have been received. Sometimes the stuff has learned more than the minister and they don't ask for that information. It's part of their job. Their job is to comply with providing their job description, which says that they have to provide full and frank and fearless advice. So my appeal to the Upper House is be careful of the precedents that you set, because often they come back to bite you.
Speaker 2: Is there going to be a conflict of interest though? For the President Ben Franklin, So he would actually have to take the action to seek the arrests because he is close to Chris Mins. That's on the public record. If there was a vote of no confidence in him, if he doesn't take that action, would he put his job in jeopardy? Well, he probably could.
Speaker 23: I mean he puts his job in a jeputy in every decision that he makes, because you can dissent a chair's decision anytime you like in Parliament. I know Ben enough to have a faith in his decision making process. There's things that I haven't liked him do that he's done. There's things that I endorsed that have done, But he does risk having the Chamber move a motion of no confidence.
Speaker 2: In him, of getting messages from Nationals at the moment they're not happy.
Speaker 23: Well, they haven't been happy since he took the big chair in the job, so that doesn't surprise me. But I think that if he does something that is that is inconsistent with the will of the House, he risks having a motion of no confidence moved against him, and he'd probably have to step down, if not legally, have to step down.
Speaker 2: Which then means he loses the which.
Speaker 23: Benefit loses the position of President of the Upper House, which from what I could remember is one of the most is one of the lucrative ones.
Speaker 2: Well, he gets a lovely office.
Speaker 23: Lovely office, lovely Sarry Carr met the King, Yes, met the King as well. But it's not an easy job either, being the presiding office, particularly in a house where one political party doesn't have the majority.
Speaker 2: I reckon this is all just a political move to try to put pressure on Chris Mins to appear that he in the end won't want his staffed to he put in this position. He'll just front up himself.
Speaker 21: No.
Speaker 23: I think Chris's argument is the argument that every premier, Liberal, Labor and Calithumpian have moved have used since time immemorial. I answer questions in question time. It's you know, in the United Kingdom it's called the Prime Minister's question time. We just call it question time. He does, and he answers questions in press conferences, and he answers questions and estimates committee. So I actually have a bit of sympathy for him in his decision not to appear. But this is a very very awkward situation. I know, I can tell you, I can confirm that the police were very suspicious about the durl so called hoax terrorism. I'm nervous about the using the word hoax terrorism because all terrorism, if it creates fear, whether it's real or not, is terrorism.
Speaker 2: Christmas rightly has pointed out he said this to Ben this He said at the time that the Jewish community in the Eastern suburbs were still terrified. That's rights right.
Speaker 23: It's like intimidation. You know, if I say to you, I'm intimidated, even though if you don't believe you are intimidating me. We have to accept the fact that I feel intimidated and terror John Howard said the time and time again, if you change your lifestyle, if you're if your anxiety levels are influenced by terror, then you're a victim of terror.
Speaker 2: Coming up half the news, I'm going to talk to an Australian man who's flown back into Australia's day from Israel. He's one of the Australians who's managed to get out. Social media is very much changing the way where we're being informed about this particular event.
Speaker 23: And similars I can't believe Clinton looking at the social media that's coming out of the anti Israel movement and that they think that we believe it for a start is amazing. But there are people out there that do believe it, and they're using artificial intelligence to create what looks like a legitimate story, and that should be a concern to the mass media. It should be concerned to the mainstream media. And I think, I mean, I was actually with the Israeli Trade Commission this afternoon for a meeting regarding engineering and infrastructure and we had to chat about it, and I said, they said to me, what do we believe? And I said, you don't believe anything at the moment. You just do not believe anything at the moment. I think governments, our education institutions, the media. I think we have to start thinking.
Speaker 1: About with that.
Speaker 23: We're never going to be able to regulate artificial intelligence. We're never going to be able to regulate social media to the extent that it probably should be. But we need to make sure everybody is aware that you have to fact check everything because this does influence public opinion, and public opinions influences decisions by government, if not governments themselves.
Speaker 2: It's going to be very confusing in the future, isn't it? Managing life?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 23: I mean, you and I have a laugh that we're lucky. We wouldn't be where we are today if they had social media when we were teenagers, because you know, they have too much evidence against me. But I am also concerned that my children are going to be making decisions on on just information or stories that have been made up.
Speaker 2: What a lighter note. The new Southwaires government announced a couple of days ago they're going to invest more money in the film industry, with the plan for a second big studio in Sydney. Does raise the question, what's the best Dozsie movie ever made?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 23: Ben Englisch has got me exploring that He's had me exploring that all this week, and good on Chris Mins and and John Graham for that hundred million dollars. It's and as my Indian made says me, a billion Bollywood fans can't be wrong, you know, working putting money into the film industry is good for our tourism. It's good for the arts fraternity. But yes, ben I had me this week interviewing the great and good of Sydney and I spoke to a dozen people, Archbishop Fisher and Government House, the Premier himself, the opposition leader Mark Speakman. I spoke to Paul Nicholau. I spoke to Lady Elliott. I spoke to Susan Lee. I spoke to Natalie Wood and I got the list justin Hem's. Of course, I got the list of their favorite movies and we've we've cracked it down to nine. And of course you know, Nichols is a romantic movie about a very pretty girl whose father opposed her relationship with a rowdy fortune seeker until he had proven himself. So it imitates life that in that.
Speaker 2: Case, Crocodile Dundee I reckon kakodad.
Speaker 23: Gets to mention, I went to you by who but the largest grossing movie Australia has ever produced. And I think you know, we could never be able to ascertain how much money that movie made for Australian tourism. But the funniest is justin hems, you've got to be able to read why he believes that movie was his favorite. And I was really impressed. And of course Mark Speakman, being a lawyer, gave a movie about I offered up a movie about the legal fraternity, which I'm sure you'll be able to guess now and then. And the premiere is one really impressed me. And the reasons why he supported it was great.
Speaker 2: We can read that tomorrow on the Telegraph. Thanks David. Thank you, David Elliott, our straight shooter for a Thursday afternoon. It's two to five. More details now merging about what's been unfolding in Elderly So in the MacArthur region at a caravan park this afternoon. So we do know that police have shot a man. That man has been taken under police escort to Liverpool Hospital where we understand he's now being treated. The telegraphers reporting the police were called to that caravan park to reports of a man threatening self harm. He was armed with a knife. The area had been locked down. Residents were told to stay indoors. The Right Squad has then been deployed and I've seen some now vision Cursey a Channel nine of Right Squad police from a little earlier at the caravan park. Then around four o'clock there are reports of shots being fired by police. The armed person reportedly lunged at the police. That person was then treated by paramedics has then been taken a hospital under police escort. I also have a message here. This is a message was sent to people who are actually staying at the caravan park. And when I say caravan park, there are caravans there, but with a lot of on site vans, so people who would spend a lot of time at the park. And the message says it's from the Poplar Tourist Park. As you may be a where there's currently an incident within the park, please be advised that access to your cabin and your caravan space is temporarily restricted. A gazebo has been set up in the barbecue area for your convenience. We encourage you to make use of this space during time. Will continue to provide you with updates as they come to hand. So this will continue to revolve over the next half hour or so. The police are yet to make a formal statement about exactly what has transpired, but we do know a man has been shot after an incident that involved the police. Rights squad been called to this particular caravan park in Elderly a little earlier this afternoon and a critical incident will be called.
Speaker 4: If it's happening in Sydney, you'll hear it on Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard on to GB.
Speaker 2: A busy final hout of the program coming up as well. I'm going to cross to an Australian man who's flown back in to Australia to day from Israel. There are now three thousand Aussies who've registered for government assistants to try to get out of Israel. That's not going to be a special flight for instance, that's going to be bus trips across the border. I'll also give the chance to win when we spin two GB's Winter Wheel.
Speaker 4: There is Sydney Now with Clinton on TGB.
Speaker 2: Great new with you this Thursday evening one three one eight seven three is our number now. Situation continue and evolve in Sydney Southwest this afternoon where there has been a shooting. There was a siege within a caravan park Eldersly in the mccarthurage, not far from Camden. It started just after lunchtime and it has gone for some hours. The police Riots squad was actually called in and they surrounded the perimeter of where a particular caravan was located within that park. And I've been looking at some vision of the caravan park. There's a lot of on site bands there where people effectively almost live most of the year and the police have been involved in a conference with a man who we understand was armed with a knife. He had been threatening self harm just after four o'clock, so it's only around an hour ago shots rung out. Now our understanding is that it's alleged the man had lunged at police with that knife and the police had opened fire. I'm hearing as many as three shots had been fired towards the man. Now he has then been taken to hospital. There's been a police convoy all the way to Liverpool Hospital from this caravan park in Elderly and the man is now being treated in hospital. We don't have details of his condition. We are still seeking a formal response from the police, but the police have given us some basic information about what has occurred. Actually, I've just been sent some details right now now. This is formally from the police. Critical insolent declared after man's shot by police and I'm just reading this to you as it comes to me. This says a critical incident investigation has been declared after man was shot by police during a siege in Sydney, Southwest. At twelve fifteen, police were called to a caravan park MacArthur Road at Elderly to check on the welfare of an occupant. Officers from Camden Police Area Command attended a cabin at the property. They attempted to speak to a fifty two year old man. A perimeter was established after the man armed himself with a knife and made threats to self harm. Specialist resources attended to assist. Negotiators attended to speak to the man. The man refused to cooperate. Just before three point thirty, officers attached to the Tactical Operations Unit gained entry to the premises and the armed man rushed officers with a knife. Police discharged a taser and the less than lethal tactical rounds, which were ineffective before the man was shot. The man was immediately treated by New South Wales Ambulance paramedics on the scene taken to Liverpool Hospital Critical. A Critical Incident Team from the state's Crime Commands Homicide Squad will lead the investigation of the circumstances surrounding the incident. The investigation will be reviewed by the Professional Standards Command and overse by the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission. So that's the extent of the official police statement. So just to confirm what occurred. About lunchtime, police are called to the caravan park elders Lee, MacArthur Rowe, so it's around the Camden area. The local police were told to check on the welfare of a man of fifty two year old man inside that particular cabin. It's an on site cabin. He has then, in the course of trying to speak with this man, he didn't cooperate with the police. He has then lunged at them with a knife. Police actually brought in the Tactical Operations Unit, so effectively police with heavily the riot gear police and now during this confrontation police use the taser. They've discharged the taser that has not been effective, so they have opened fire. The man's been treated on the scene by paramedics. He's been taken to Liverpool Hospital in a critical condition where he remains.
Speaker 1: Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard.
Speaker 4: If it's happening in your sitting, you'll hear it on Sydney Now to.
Speaker 2: GB ten past five developments in the Middle East, the conflict between Israel and Iran. There are lots of reports about the position of Donald Trump this afternoon. There are some suggestions that effectively he's he's given the ok for US involvement in the operations against Iran, but he hasn't physically signed off on that involvement. He was asked about this by reporters this morning.
Speaker 6: You even to answered questions about whether you are moving closer you believe the US is moving closer to striking Iranian nuclear facilities. Where's your mindset on that You're going to.
Speaker 1: Show that right?
Speaker 7: You don't seriously think I'm going to answer that question? Will you strike the Iranian nuclear component? And what time exactly, Sir sir would you strike it? Would you please inform her so we can be there and watch. You don't know that I'm going to even do it? You don't know.
Speaker 1: I may do it, I may not do it.
Speaker 7: I mean, nobody knows what I'm going to do.
Speaker 1: I can tell you this is that.
Speaker 7: Iran's got a lot of trouble and they want to negotiate. And I said, why didn't you negotiate with me before all this death and destruction? Why didn't you ago? I said to the people, why didn't you negotiate with me two weeks ago? You could have done fine, you would have out a country.
Speaker 2: So Donald Trump there says, look, nobody knows what I'm going to do. In the end, he is the commander in chief. He is the one who will decide what to do. Now, almost three hundred, almost three thousand Australians have now registered to be evacuated out of Israel and Iran. The Foreign Minister Penny Wong has issued a warning today saying this is going to be very difficult for the government itself to assist people. They are bussing Australians across borders, so there's no formal Australian flight that's been authorized at this point. Australians are returning home. I want to introduce you to a two GB listener. His name is James, and he has managed to come back here and things were looking pretty grim. Thanks for your time, James.
Speaker 5: Okay, A Clinton, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm okay, but but how are you going? How are you feeling after you you've been through what you've experienced.
Speaker 1: I'm good, Thank you.
Speaker 16: I'm just very relieved to be home, to be back on Australian soil. I was evacuated from Israel first thing Saturday morning, so I was evacuated very early, and I need to thank my amazing boss, Gina ryan Hart, for arranging that. I was evacuated to Jordan that morning and then attempted to fly home from Jordan that night. All of the flights were canceled due to missile fire overhead at the airport which was being intercepted, so I had to wait another day or two to come home, but very thankful to be home. It was a very nerve wracking and intense time to be in Israel, and it's just it's great to be back in Australia.
Speaker 2: Whereabouts in Israel were you and what were you doing there?
Speaker 16: I was over in Israel on an official delegation with the Israeli embassy, so it was a few delegations. At the time, I was on a political one with other political representatives from both the Labor part in the Liverpool Party.
Speaker 5: And we were touring around Israel.
Speaker 16: We were very fortunate to see a number of sites that a lot of people don't get access to, which were very very moving in sad sites, especially the October seven ones. We went to the Nova music festival. We went to Kabutz Bairi, which was the Kibutz which suffer the largest death toll and where the Australian died on October seventh. We went up to Haifa, which is the port city.
Speaker 1: We went to Bershiva, which is in the middle.
Speaker 16: Of Israel, where I see a missile has just struck the hospital there in about ten minutes. Down the road is the Anzac Memorial which we visited, as well as Jerusalem, the Kinnesse at Israel's parliament, and then also to tell Aviv, where we were when the offensive against the Iranian nuclear assets was launched. So yeah, we got around the country. We've got to see a lot of the country, but unfortunately our trip was cut short and he was very nerve wracking time.
Speaker 2: You mentioned that you do work for Gina Reinhart, so she was able to assist you getting home. How complicated is it to leave and obviously not everybody has access maybe to the assistance you had.
Speaker 16: Yeah, look, it was very difficult to leave because people were unsure about the circumstances. I first contacted the Australian embassy. They weren't they advised, They weren't doing evacuations straight away or taking names for people to be evacuated, which I thought was concerning. So I was very full to the gener around how it helped arrange my evacuation. We actually tried to evacuate multiple people, but due to the capacity constraints and the war just happening, there wasn't enough room. But I was able to evacuate the rest of my group has also been evacuated. The Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs was able to evacuate them to Jordan, to London and then to Australia.
Speaker 5: So it was quite a journey.
Speaker 16: I had to drive four hours through Israel down to the border crossing with Jordan, across the border, and then drive another four hours up to a man But thankfully everyone on my tour and other tours as well, have now been evacuated in the process of evacuation, but very difficult times because also when you are evacuating, you're not close to a protected era of protected space. You're on the road, so it is a nerve wracking time driving through the roads.
Speaker 2: You were you fraughtened.
Speaker 16: I was nervous because there was nowhere to run if there was ballistic missile fire, rocket fire.
Speaker 19: The advice was just.
Speaker 16: To lay along the ground. But thankfully the security team arranged the evacuation for the time in which they thought there was not going to be any rocket far and they were correct in that because most of the rock and far does come overnight, although Iran has been launching missiles earlier in the afternoon, around three or four o'clock. So yeah, it was nerve wracking. I was scared, but was just happy to be relieved to a cross the border into Jordan and then ultimately fly home to Australia.
Speaker 2: There have been travel warnings for some time for the region. Given that was the case, why did you go there when it was known that it was dangerous?
Speaker 21: Yeah, well it wasn't.
Speaker 1: I do not travel.
Speaker 16: It was a high exercise of a high degree of caution, which is the same travel advice for a number of other destinations at Australians visit, but I think it's really important to visit the only functioning democracy in the Middle East. I mean, Israel is such an advanced nation, whether it's the economy, whether it's the military, whether it's venture capital. They are our closed as ally in the region, and they do so much heavy lifting for regional and global security, as we're seeing play out at the moment against the Iranian nuclear asis. So it's such an incredible nation and I think it's really important I'm not Jewish, to show support for the Jewish people globally, so there since there been such a huge rise in anti Semitism and in hatred of the Jewish people and I of Israel, so I think it's really important to get there on the ground to understand it experience. It was my first trip and I have to say the Iranians have not deterred me from going back. I think it's an amazing country and I would love to go back when it's safe.
Speaker 1: To do so.
Speaker 2: Hopefully the Australians who are now there and trying to get out will be safe. Thank you for your time, James, Thanks Clinton, thanks so much, Tod you be listener. James, who has now successfully come back. He now he has had the assistance. He works for Gina Reinhunt and has just told me about that, so she's obviously been able to assist him with getting back. But there are three thousand Australians actually now who formerly registered who want to get out, and it won't be as simple as, for instance, ordering a special Quarts flight or a Hercules because there's now no fly zones across much of the region, but many people will want to come home. Seventeen past five twenty one past five the new South Wales government's anounced today in the budget that's been handed down next Tuesday, there'll be a one hundred and fifty six million dollar budget increase for roads in Sydney's northwest. Now this is needed, it's very much needed. So there'll be forty nine million dollars for the Richmond Road Corridor, which will be from the M seven to the Driftway in Richmond. There'll be thirty million dollars towards planning for the duplication and the future connection of Townsend, Burgend and Roads and Schofields. There'll be twenty seven million dollars for the planned to upgrade Garfield Road West in Marsdon Park. All of this is essential and they're saying these projects will be shovel ready, so they'll be ready to go and the money'll be there. But I know in the announcement that's been made today, it says the joint investment of one hundred and fifty six million dollars in new funding is part of a broader roads and transport investment in the budget which focuses on must have infrastructure in our suburbs and region that support liverability and growth, which is all good, and then says not vanity mega projects. And I just find that a little curious that phrase vanity mega projects. Well, the opposition's taken some events to that. They've held a press conference and they've not been happy about that because it's obviously a bit of a kick at the former coalition government. But it's a bit rough calling major projects that the previous state government initiated and finished and in some cases started vanity projects. Yeah, I'm sure there were some of those, but these major projects with things like the Metro that the current government has actually then opened the extension of and are continuing to the Paramatta and Westmead Metro. I mean Metro is good. The West Connects Motorway now the West Connex Motorway costs us a small fortune in tolls, but in the end it's a good road. We pay an absolute mint to use it, but it's a good road. What we need from politicians is both We need funding for local roads. We need potholes filled. We need adequate infrastructure when we're trying to develop more housing. But it's not just vanity projects. Vanity projects, whether they're metros or motorways, might be labeled vanity, but they're actually important as well.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard on t GB cool Now one three one.
Speaker 2: Eight seven three. The Vinni's CEO's Winter Sleepout is on tonight, So lots of CEOs gonna be sleeping out tonight at thee White Bay Cruise Terminal in Roseell And this is to raise money for Vinnis. The goal is to raise three million dollars. Taking part is our own John Stanley, and John is broadcasting his program live tonight from the sleepout. It's the White Bay Cruise Terminal in Roseel. So make sure you're chune in from eight o'clock tonight because it's gonna be pretty cold for John. Is he staying all night? Yes, yep, No, he's confirmation he'll be there at five point thirty tomorrow morning as well. Say the Vinnie's CEO's sleepout is on and John will be sleeping out from eight o'clock tonight.
Speaker 4: Two gdvs Winter Wheel.
Speaker 2: Do you want to win? Would you like to win? Well, be the third caller through one three hundred and seven double two eight seven three for your chance to spin two GB's Winter Wheel. We've got wonderful prizes and cash on the wheel to give away. I'm having a lot of the wheel now, I've got it right here. There's seven hundred and fifty dollars. There's a five hundred dollars prize. There's still a two and a half thousand dollars US to give away. But there's another great one Origin tickets. Okay, So because we didn't win Origin last night, it means deciders in a couple of weeks time at a Core Stadium. Well, we might send you there. It's on the ninth of July. It is the hottest ticket in town. New South Wales versus Queens. Then in the State of Origin decider, you can book your tickets NRL dot Com am Pulse State of Origin nothing like it, or you can call me right now. So the prize line one three hundred seven double two eight seven three for your chance to spin two GB's Winter Wheel, the chance to win Origin tickets and maybe some cash as well.
Speaker 1: Two GBS Winter Wheel.
Speaker 2: I'm going to give you a chance to win up to forty thousand dollars. Well, we've got not quite forty thousand right here on the line. We've got two and a half thousand dollars in the line. We've got some great prizes on the Winter Wheel this afternoon, including tickets to State of Origin. Three. We've got a thousand dollars National Tiles voucher and a signature dining experience for two of the DD group including the best of alf and Flying Fish and Sala. It's worth five hundred dollars. Let's find a winner this afternoon. Elizabeth is in guy me. Hello, Elizabeth, fine, how are you you sound excited to me?
Speaker 17: I'm so excited. Oh my god, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, I've got the wheel sitting next to me right now, and I'm going to give it a spin.
Speaker 1: Do you want me to do?
Speaker 2: You want me to give it a really good goal or just a little spin, A large spin, A large spin? Okay, okay, build up all my strength to give it a large spin. We're gonna get anti clockwise, because I've had a bit of success anti clockwise. Okay, here we go, three two, one, large spin. You can hear it there, clicking away. Here we go. It's moving so fast to the moment, I can't see what it's going past. Okay, here we go. I've just gone past the two and a half thousand dollars, just gone past the origin tickets to fifty National tiles. It's stopping on one thousand dollars.
Speaker 17: Oh yes, did you? Oh my god, are you amazing?
Speaker 1: Did you?
Speaker 2: Elizabeth? You've got a thousand dollars in your back pocket?
Speaker 1: Did you?
Speaker 2: Now? Tell me what does a thousand dollars mean for you? Elizabeth?
Speaker 17: Well, you know it's like bills. They never stopped, do they coming through?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 17: Just bills?
Speaker 13: Am I?
Speaker 17: Carr insurance is due next month?
Speaker 2: Hey, can you do me a favor? Elizabeth? Can you buy something nice for yourself? You pay some bills? But can you just use You've got a thousand dollars now you probably weren't expecting one thousand dollars today. Pay some bills, Pay some bills. But can you go where you're in? Go I'm here right, I want you to go to Miranda Fair this weey you can. Okay, go to Westfield. You go to Westfield, you buy something nice for yourself.
Speaker 17: Okay, yeah, okay, thank you, Good on you.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth. That's Elizabeth. She's one of the two GB Winter Wheel this afternoon. We're going to play again tomorrow, so Ben Forden in Breakfast, Levy in mornings on the Afternoon Show and then again on Sitting Now, where are going to spin the winter Wheel? You got to keep listening to win. Let's check out new headlines how with all the latest K four Good afternoon.
Speaker 11: Quinton, a man is fighting for life after being shot by police at a caravan park in Elderly in Sydney, Southwest. Police say he was armed with a knife and rushed at officers before he was shot. A critical incident investigation has been launched. The world is waiting to see what the US President does next as he considers whether to bomb a nuclear site in Iran. Israel wants Donald Trump to attack the photo plant with a special bunker buster bomb. Australia's unemployment rates come in at four point one percent for May, but the number of people in work has fallen slightly. More than two thousand jobs were lost last month. And heading the ball in soccer can affect the brain. University of Sydney researchers found headers cause subtle changes even when there's no immediate cognitive impairment. In sports, state of origin fever is continuing with women's under nineteens teams about to kick off on the Sunshine Coast. It's the first game in a double header with the men's under nineteen's fixture, which kicks off later tonight. Clinton More News at six p.
Speaker 2: K Kati fourteen degrees in the city, eleven degrees in the western suburbs. We were talking a little earlier this hour about electric vehicles and how the drivers of electric vehicles can contribute to road costs because they don't pay fuel excise and Jim Charmers gentleman Jim has now decided, yes, there is going to need to be a tax for ed drivers. From one of my listeners on the text line. I travel about one thousand k's a week in an electric vehicle. The road user charge, based on what's being suggested, would cost me thirty dollars a week. I use my petrol card as well, and it's roughly forty dollars on fuel exise, so it would probably match up fairly well. Finance update, Scott Hayward is hosting Money News, filling in for deb Night tonight. Hello Scott Clinton.
Speaker 24: A pretty flat day today, which is it's not a bad result as we just heard in the news. It really is about a pausing for investors at the moment, not just here but globally as we wait to see what Donald Trump will all won't do in relation to the Israel and Iran situation. There was minimal movement overnight in the US and our market today closing down just seven points to eighty five and twenty three. The big news really the Comwealth Bank, which is so important. Were going to talk about tonight with Tony Sycamore at our market wrap up one and a half percent to one hundred and eighty two dollars eighty five, a fresh record high. Westpac hire nab high. The banks are making so much money out of US Clinton, but they are literally the license to print money. Aristocrat also higher and clean Way was up as well. So again it's really about the banks. And it's so important because I you're a member of Australian Super or many of the industry or many retail funds and you do have a growth or high growth portfolio. Four of the top ten stocks you've probably got in Australia are the banks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, certainly the way to look at it. If you don't want to pay bank fees, we're still gonna have to pay them. But if you want to profit, buy some banks shares, but you've got them in Super anyway. Unemployment figures out today four point nine percent for the last month. Does that have much of an impact on the market.
Speaker 24: No, I didn't. I'm surprised. David Bassiness is going to join me show at the top of the show just after seven o'clock. A drop from part time work to full time work was absorbed. The market did drop by two and a half thousand workers over the month, which I found a little bit surprising. Participation rate slightly week at sixty seven percent. Of course, we did get the benefit of the election, so some people work casually and part time through that period, so we have to have that as an impact. But I do think going forward that a lot of the private sector jobs will be made flat. But I really think that a lot of government jobs could be under threat over the next two to three years. Despite the fact that labor were reelected and they've said that the public service will be supported. I just think there's too many of them. And as I said, I'm going to talk to David Bassoni's about that right at the top of the show on News.
Speaker 2: We'll hear you from seven o'clock filling in for deab Night. Thank you, Scott got Clinton, Scott Hayward tonight with Money News on Sydney.
Speaker 4: Now a weather update will be here to help him unexpected good weather Nrima Insurance a help company.
Speaker 2: It was a nice afternoon of that on mean. It should remain dry this evening. Top temperatures at the moment fourteen degrees in the city, eleven degrees in the west. It's going to get quite cool this evening though Tomorrow mostly sunny day with the forecast top of seventeen. Could be some patches of frost and even fog in the western suburbs. Tomorrow morning. Across the weekend, the all important weekend forecast sunny on Saturday, with eighteen sunny on Sunday and nineteen and into next week. Really nice weather actually for Monday, sunny and twenty two degrees forecast for Monday.
Speaker 4: If it matters to you, you'll hear it here Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard until six.
Speaker 2: Mark Guy are about to make his return for the weekend from Perth after watching Origin Too and commentating for the Continuous Call team.
Speaker 8: What a game, MG, barklnd Gay buddy. It's been a big few days and yeah, you're right at Perth Airport ready to come back into the Mighty East. What was that game last night? Just had it all? I mean at half time obviously the biggest talking point was the penalty count Ill look New South was that bad? Probably not? But knew Queens Meander a better team in the first half. Let's just put that on the table. Yeah they played, they handed the conditions, but are they A couple of subtle changes from Billy Slater worked perfectly. I think I spoke to you when this second game's teams were announced and I said, I'm not too sure about urt Cape well, well, blow me down. He was very close to the man the match last night along with Kevin Monster and our homes in the centers with Hammer on the wing. I mean defensively the Hammer was a little bit off when they'll go down his side with Latrelle and Bryan Tyer. But look vour Holmes in origin player and the goal kicking has been the difference, winning with kick three from ten New South Wales and Queen's to kick six from seven. So that's that's that's a story of play.
Speaker 2: And Kurt Caple typified that what is Moraines players? You put the Marines jersey on, you might not be playing that well at club level and you turned on. It was put to him during the week the build up MG that apparently in the NRL he has just mount the most mistackles in the game at the moment and he said it wasn't aware of that. Well, didn't matter last night because he was whacking people.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's it. I made the fact at that same point to Haulsey on the well were sports last night? I said, you know that Cables missed more tackles than anyone, and I suppose he kind of thought, you know what, Well, tonight I'm going to show him because he was in everything. It was every time there was a little mini break from New South Wales, so you'd see number eleven or where number he had in his back fifteen sixteen. But he's just a he just DIDs on balls. He's you know, he hit ups were there. Yeah. Look, it was just a great, good origin game. That's the third game that's been over here in Perth yep, and the first two have been New South Wales floggings of the Coisland. That last night was a real good taste of what's to come for the for the public overhare and.
Speaker 2: That's it was actually a good game. Okay, we didn't win, but but to have us make that comeback in the second half which would have been the biggest comeback of all time. You mentioned bron T was just for a little okay, sure, but he's so nuggety. He was so good.
Speaker 8: I thought last night he's fantastic, you know. And the good thing I was suppose about game three was that Latrell and Steph and Crichton had relatively quiet games for their illustrious portfolio. I mean the weather. Yeah, so I think Coensland definitely helped handle a lot better.
Speaker 2: But you know what, when I was thinking the same thing about the trail, right, are you thinking, you know, superstar player, what's he doing? And then he pulls off that strip, which that almost won them the game because he's the sort of player just pulls something out of his backside and turns a game. And he did that. He almost did that last night.
Speaker 8: He did he did and you know when I think about it, except he except Ryan to for three tries through the last parts, for three of his tries. So look, it was just a great game. The amophere was sensational. The per public were treated to a fantastic contest. And all I say is bring on game three because I cannot wait.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, question for you, she should actually climb referee game through because you know, Laurie Daily has been in his own sort of way critical today it was. The penalty count was ridiculously lopsided.
Speaker 8: Yep, it's the most I think it seems been penalized in the history of original in one half eight penalties. And look, you can have you get have a case for maybe half of them. But look, I don't want to sit here and disparage the ref because it's jobs start with. But to answer your question, yeah, why not. But I think I don't think he'll be that unfavorable to the Blues in game three. I think that you know, every fifty to fifty went the queens Lands way, which is which was disappointing. But yeah, look new so well, they won't make any changes for game throughout, although I'm reading this morning that maybe Nathan Cleary and pay Half both took injuries into the game last night and it was only until the warm up that they got there.
Speaker 2: All clear, that's safe, am save Cleary?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And yeah he was quiet, but he did go for a try, scored a try that was dislods of obstruction. But just say he's ruled out. Mitchell Roses is ruled out? Who plays half back of Clear?
Speaker 8: He's out Chita from the Dolphins.
Speaker 2: Wow, I think he's you know, when when guys are in the performer, he's in.
Speaker 8: I think you've got to pluck him from obscurity and put him in the big blue jersey.
Speaker 2: Brother, What was like running out of the game, ball you walked out the game?
Speaker 8: That was awesome. That was awesome. It was pouring rain of the day and then the come and grab me and said I'm doing it now. I said, can't wa wait till the rains that I had made this, So I went down put the jersey on, and just as I put the jersey on Clinton, the rain stopped. My friend, there was divine intervention from above and there was awesome that I went out and I know the blokes from wolf Mutter who performed last night. So all of a sudden I'm about to put the ball on the plube and Andrew stockda from out mate. Yeah, my great honor, a great honor, and probably having the connection to Perth that I've got and being with two g with I just want to thank Westpac and the NRL for the opportunity.
Speaker 2: Well, now that you've been back to Perth after this time, what do you think the chances are of the Bears in terms of winning out of the Perth public? What are they fighting there?
Speaker 8: Well, that's the biggest problem. That's the biggest obstacle going forward facing this new seventeenth two because eighteh and whatever they are. The WA media is basically run by Kerry Stakes, who is the owner of Channel seven, is the owner of the Western Australian paper that is their number one paper over here. In this morning there was in the bottom left hand side of the front page a disparaging headline about something about two Eastern States rugby teams come and try and bush each other.
Speaker 1: And that was it.
Speaker 8: That was all we had in the paper.
Speaker 2: Sixty thousand people there in the rain.
Speaker 8: May they look, something's got to happen. Look, they've got to be there's gotta be someone break bread with each other. I don't know where the land he's got to get into bed with Kerry Stakes, who is who is a life member of the South Sydney Rabbits. Mind you, that was bestowed upon him back in two thousand and four. So he has got a connection to rugby league. Do you see the Bears obviously was Kerry stakes right hand man and now he's gone. I think I think we're seeing that how pete off Kerry Stakes actually is with the whole you know, Western Bears, Perth Bears alignment. So what's his space? But I look to survive, you know, the media with you all against you just need to be They need to be spoken about in some way. And look, I know that the Swans and the g WS Giants have a similar problem in Sydney, but at least we respect them for who they are. We don't try and block them out that they're trying to guts out to have a piece, have a little finger hold in Sydney. Obviously they're never going to take over the Rugby League, similar to the Perth Bears whenever we're going to take over the AFL ever ever to ANFL dominated city, but always want to. We want to amalgamate, not take over.
Speaker 2: MG save travels back home from Perth. We're going to talk tomorrow.
Speaker 8: Oh way, buddy, so mate, Mark Guy.
Speaker 2: Word on the street is thanks to Temper, a great night's sleep, night after night. The difference is Temper. If there's something you want us to investigate that qualifies for a word on the street, and then every Friday we give away two Temper cooling pillows, the best one of the wheat works six hundred dollars. Word on the Street came from one of our bus driving listeners who told me about the problems with the open card technology. Now, Transport for New South Wales says ninety nine percent of occasions the open card works. My bus driver told us, well, no, thirty to forty percent of the time it's failing. Plenty of you told me that you try to tap on and that doesn't work. A few of you tell me you don't tap on anyway. Well that's your call. But if you've got a word on the street for me for temper, send me an email tonight t GB dot com. Just the latest regarding the shooting that's occurred in Elderly at the caravan park this afternoon. Police will be making a formal statement at half past six tonight at Durell And Police Station with the Assistant Commissioner Brett McFadden. So what we have now been able to confirm is there was a siege at the caravan park. Police were called there around lunchtime with a man who had been threatening self harm. Now they tried to speak with the man for several hours. Eventually they've brought in the Tactical Response Group such was their concern and at one point the man, according to the police, has lunged with them with a knife. The police have then used a taser that has failed. They then opened fire. The man has been shot. He is now in Liverpool Hospital in a critical condition.
Speaker 1: You want to know what's happening in Sydney.
Speaker 4: Stay tuned to Sydney Now with Clinton and on to gb Clement.
Speaker 2: The text line says, well done for Spencer and Ezra hugging it out as we've heard about from Pete David and that'll be in nine years now. Look, I don't think Ezra Man should have been part of Origin last night. My opinion, I think he probably shouldn't be playing rugby league at the moment. Not to say you shouldn't play rugby league again, but I think now was a little bit too early. This morning, I was on YouTube and it was released today, the trailer for what I think is going to be a fantastic new movie that's going to be released at the end of the year. Well, you know, I'm a bit of a fan of Bruce Springsteen. Forget politics, just I love his music. Well, there'll be a bio pick released later this year October. It's going to be called Deliver Me Nowhere. It stars Jeremy Allen White. And that's Jeremy Allen White. That's part of the trailer where he's on stage playing Bruce Born to one. Now, if you don't know that name, you might know the show. It's very well regarded called the Bear. He's the main star. Actually think the Bearer has been overrated, but he's the main star and the Bear. And he plays Bruce Springsteen in this movie. Based on the trailer, it looks sensational and I'm a bit of a fan of me U bio Pick movies. I thought Rocketman was excellent about Elton John. The Bohemian Rhapsody by a Pick was outstanding on Freddie Mercury and Queen. I reckon this one might top them all. So it's on the Boss. It's called deliver me nowhere to be out in October.
Speaker 1: Time to expose your minds. Do you may begin your questioning on Sydney.
Speaker 4: Now Chustians questions, religion's questions.
Speaker 1: That's an important to pay attention. I know you are as a question.
Speaker 5: Get it right.
Speaker 1: Clinton's quick quiz.
Speaker 2: Thomas sent me an email asking me, hang on, hang on, did you say July vibe Origin three? That's a Saturday. I'm talking Origin three when it comes to bull writing professional bull riding Origin three will be held in Sydney July five. Rugby League State of Oredon's gonna be held on Wednesday night, a couple of weeks. Time of Course Stadium. We'll give you a chance to win when we spin the wheel tomorrow morning. We've been Fordham, but I've got tickets to give away to go and see some professional bull riding for the winner of our quiz this evening. Let's bring some winners online. Renee, Renee's Ands and hell One's Park. Hello, Renee, Hello, I'm good and you're going to be up against Tim. Tim is calling us from beautiful newcast.
Speaker 21: Hello Tim, Gooday, Clinton?
Speaker 8: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good? Mate?
Speaker 1: You can go first if you like no dramas.
Speaker 2: Your thirty second starts now. What year was the first iPod released? Two thousand and one or two thousand and three?
Speaker 21: I'll atually as in three incorrect?
Speaker 2: Was one true or false? Leonardo DiCaprio start in the movie The Shawshank Redemption.
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 2: Which country is bigger in Land, Mass, Canada or France Canada? Correct? What is the square root of thirty six six? Correct? Where was Veggie Mike founded? Correct? It's very easy. Question four? All right, Renee, I hope your questions are just as easy. Okay, Your thirty second starts now. Mike Hussey played which sport correct?
Speaker 1: True or false?
Speaker 2: Round the two Whist was a TV series based off books True Correct, which well known Australian bird is known for laughing.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 2: What job did Hugh Grant do in Love? Actually his character.
Speaker 12: Bookstore owner?
Speaker 2: No, he was the Prime Minister. Which store is known as the Independent Grosses of Australia Independent Grouses of Australia. IgA. You're right, we've gotta draw. Okay, we gotta tie Tim and Renee. I'm gonna yell out a question here. You're gonna yell out your name to answer it. Okay, which famous Australian is commonly referred to as the Crocodile Hunter. Tim Okay, Tim? Who are I talking about? Correct? Congratulations Tim? Commisimations Renee Tim. I'm going to send you out a double pass to go. I want to see the Professional Bull Rider's Origin three. If you'd like to book tickets, you can go to their website PBR Australia dot com dot AU. More details will be released at six point thirty about what's occurred at the elders Lyad Caravan Park this afternoon where a man has been shot by the police. He's been treated in hospital At the moment, I'm just getting a few messages suggesting, hang on, how does self harm preventing self harm at a siege become to a situation where police shoot somebody. Well, that's why there is going to be what they call a critical instant investigation, where there is an independent body that will conduct their investigation.
Speaker 4: And now a preview of what's coming up on Wide World of Sports. With six hundred and four kilometers of range, the Kia EV three is your twenty twenty five Worldcar.
Speaker 1: Of the Year.
Speaker 4: Visit your nearest Kia showroom to test drive yours today.
Speaker 2: Hausy with World Wind of Sports coming up after six o'clock a full rap of Origin two. I loved the game, Hawsey.
Speaker 25: Well, I wouldn't use the word love, not when we got beaten. But it was entertaining, I'll put it that way.
Speaker 2: You see a contest, the fact that it looked like we're going to be run over the top of and to see that New South Wales comeback.
Speaker 25: It was a great comeback.
Speaker 1: It was spirits.
Speaker 25: Everything you hear about Queensland, but I'll never say it was a great game with Queensland win. Anyway, we'll go over that with Freddie fil I'm still dealing with it. Made that first forty baa the first forty minutes, so it was a horror show.
Speaker 2: Well they weren't great, but that was Queensland. That's what they do when all the talkers about New Southwest queens then do that.
Speaker 25: Everything the Blues lost their heads was very much self inflicted Queens They did play well under nine ends tonight the Origin, so hopefully we get some revenge there. So Freddie Fitler's along. Josh Morris also, and we'll speak to Lewis Mellikan from the Sydney Swans.
Speaker 2: Make sure you're listening to Hawsey after six o'clock. Scott Hayward filling in for Money News tonight from seven don't forget. John Stanley live from the Vinnie's Winter sleep Out tonight, Ben Forden with a special guest tomorrow, John Laws, talk to you tomorrow. That's Sydney now, how's good