Speaker 1: On two GB and Network stations. This is Afternoons with Bill Woods filling in from Michael McLaren.
Speaker 2: Yes, good afternoon. It's great to be back on AA talking to you, and thank you very much for having me. I hope you'll enjoy the program this afternoon. Apologies for Michael. He has urgent family matters to attend to. He's quite okay if you're wondering about that. He's well, but he'll be away just for today and tomorrow's program, so I'll be filling in to help him out there and he'll be back on Friday. But it'll be all as usual today, including the giveaways and the news and everything that's coming across the desk. We'll bring it to you as it happens this afternoon. And there are a few things ongoing, of course internationally. We'll keep an eye on what's happening in Tehran, the conflict in the Middle East. We've also got the summation of the defect NaN's Council and the Mushroom murder case, and a few other bits and pieces of information, including a very interesting High Court ruling that came out this morning, which I'll give you more detail on in just to tick. But what's on the show. Well, we'll talk soon in the next twenty minutes or so to Robin Ironside, who's an aviation rider from the Australian, about what does make a good airline? Because they had again the annual I guess you could call it the aviation industry's version of the OSCARS. It's the aviation awards run by Skytracks and a lot of airlines pin a lot of business on this and once again Katar Airways has finished on top. Now I believe they get quite a bit of subsidy in their part of the world. Not airlines are on the same playing field. Not a probably good metaphor there when you're talking about aviation, but anyway, I think you know where I'm coming from. Singapore Airlines came second, Cathay Pacific third, Coititus jumped up the leaderboard in fourteenth place, but they were twenty fourth. But there are other categories two where the air lines are judged, and Quite has did very very well in a couple of those. We'll talk a bit more with that with Robert Einside about that and also what you think makes a good airline, what you're looking for. I think actually getting there safely is by a long stretch. Number one. I think we're all agreed on that, especially given events of the past week or so in India particularly. That's the priority. But what are the other things that you are concerned about as an ear traveler? One three one eight seven three, zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three on the text line, Now here's an interesting one. Dave will Go Wilkins, who you might know is the gig guide man for the John Stanley Show on Thursday nights and Fridays in the non footy playing season. He'll be talking about a person who he idolizes. That is Paul McCartney. It's his eighty third birthday today. Not will Go, but Paul McCartney. And we'll have a good chat with Wilko, who knows his stuff. He's an accomplished musician with a great pedigree, and he'll explain why he loves all McCartney. But we'd love to hear from you as well. One through one eight seven three or zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. That'll be coming up after one o'clock this afternoon. We'll talk to will Gone. We'd love to hear your stories about whether you went to the McCartney concert, whether you are a McCartney or a Lenin person. It's a bit like being a dog or a cat person, isn't it. There are Lenin and McCartney people, and there are others who are happy to sit on the fence, and there's nothing wrong with that. And where does he sit in the pantheon of music writers? Some say one of the greatest of all time? That's interesting. How far back do you want to go? You've got guy called Gershwin who was pretty good back in his day, and many many others. These things are argued about all the time, but let us know, it's really about what you like. That's what it's all about. So we'll talk about that, the legacy of McCartney, and we've got some pretty We've got an interesting story for you about one of our management members. I won't say any more than that, she's a manager here at this radio station, has a great McCartney story, which does lead me to think, you know, what, have you ever met any of the Beatles? What is your brush with fame when it comes to these things? Her story is quite unusual, and I think we're all very envious when I tell you that story. A little later on, Blake went All joined us from Pretzel Wealth. This is a regular Michael segment. We'll also have Chuck's footy tips. He's not here today in person, but I will pass his tips on to you and for what it's worth, give my thoughts on it. Anita Warren will join us. She's the CEO of Master Builders Australia and they're calling on the federal government again to try and unlock productivity. They think they're going to make some gains and they have some very bold plans. Now I'm trying to think of the last time any government actually initiated a bold plan. They tend to be rather conservative when it comes to these things low risk. But we'll see what Anita WARN's got in mind and how successful she thinks she might be because we're really spinning wheels comes to the housing situation. On that subject, we'll have the Winter Wheel, up to twenty five hundred dollars cash in prizes, and a whole bunch of other cool things. I think in Mark Show they gave away fifteen hundred dollars. Am I right, Joel? Yes, So that's fantastic. Hopefully we'll be able to do that for you in the last hour of the program, and we'll also have our track of the day, which is a regular Michael thing. Incidentally, that's one hundred and fifty dollar vouta from the B store. So we'll get you in there and we'll talk to Matthew Wilson, who's the executive director of Road Maintenance Partnerships of Transport New South Wales. Why I'm glad you asked. I was driving across the Harbor Bridge this morning on my way to help out here and fill in for Michael, and I noticed quite a few rust patches on the old bridge and it just got me thinking, how do they maintain the bridge? I mean, we've had these stories from time to time. We know there are maintenance schedules, et cetera. But traffic's getting busier, peak hours getting longer. Is it more difficult? Do they have more technology these days to make it easier to maintain the bridge. It's a big lump of steel over salt water and I saw a lot of RUSS patches, so they must be due for a repaint pretty soon. How do they do that safely? And how difficult is it to maintain the old coat hanger. Over many years, we've got a second tunnel on the way which will relieve the burden of the traffic on the Harbor Bridge. But it is one of the most iconic bridges in the world. It's a symbol of Australia and I thought we might just catch up if you've not thought about it recently. I certainly was today when I crossed the Harbor Bridge. How do we keep it in shape? So let us know what your thoughts are one three, one eight seven three on anything we talk about or anything you're thinking about too. We're happy to hear it or zero four six, zero eight seven three eight seven three. Text are coming through and calls already. Thank you, and we'll talk very soon to Robin eInsight about these aviation awards. But also I'll give you an update on that High Court decision very shortly twenty past midday. Thank you for the kind words, Dave and a few other people. I'm definitely in the McCartney camp. There's another Dave because he shares the surname. Good on your Dave. Of course you are now Greg. Whenever I see RUSS patches on the Harbor Bridge, I automatically think of offshore windmills. Yes, that was one thing that came to mind, Greg when I was hearing about all that. Do we really need them off shore? There's plenty of other places to put them rather than over the salt water.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That made me one to two Greg when all that came up, and that debate will be continuing for a long time yet. Now quick call from SIEV. I think on airlines, we're talking to Robin einside if you've just tuned in about what makes a good airline, because I've had these Skytracks awards and Katar Airways has come out on top. Thoughts on that, Siev.
Speaker 4: Here you go, Bill, I think the way you get served when you're at the back of the plane where most people are, and what the way you get treated when you're there, and the leg room that you have, if you have any leg room at the back of the plane. Although I think you've got this economent premium now they're supposed to deal with some of that, but I think just the way things are there. And I guess airline food, if you could really judge an airline on airline food, if it doesn't taste the same as every other airline.
Speaker 2: That's a good point, lowest common denominator.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just think it's basic stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most of us will experience an airline in that part of the plane, You're right, and at that level of service. So that's probably where it needs to start. And yeah, you can do all the fancy stuff up the front with all those people whenever, you know, but the vast majority of people will experience an airline in that way. Good point, SIEV. Thanks for your call, mate, appreciate it. Here's this news from the High Court this morning. In case you are following this, it is quite relevant. The federal government is now free to crack down even further on the trouble CFMEU. The High Court has dismissed this constitutional challenge from the outst CFMEU officials who are trying to overturn the administration that was applied to the union. This is a judgment delivered by Chief Justice Stephen Gagler. All six grounds of the challenge have been rejected, including claims that the laws infringe the implied freedom of political communication. Freedom of political communication, that's not something I would have associated with the former administration of the c FMEU anyway. The federal government stepped in last August, as you might know, and the troubled union has been infiltrated by bikies and organized crime groups, and there were broader concerns of other criminalized behavior. Well, the ruling paves the way now for the Administrator, Mark Irving case to continue his clamp down on the union, and it will, perhaps they say, embolden other people in the construction industry to come forward with more allegations of any corruption or misconduct. I quote now from the Administrator, Mark Irving, who says the decision provides clarity and it paves the way for the greater systemic reforms necessary for the union and across the industry. Along with the CFMEU, employers, regulators and governments all have a role to play in rooting out malignant and violent actors from the construction sector. This is just another but not unimportant part of the puzzle of getting our housing and construction back on track. We'll be talking to the master builders a little later, not specifically about this ruling, but they would be pretty pleased about it. I would imagine this administration, according to Mark Irving, is committed to returning the union to the membership as a strong, democratic member controlled union enduringly free of corruption and criminal influence as soon as possible. That's the official statement, and this from the Workplace Relations Minister Amanda Rishworth, who also commented today on the High Court ruling. We need to focus on shifting the culture in the construction industry and ensure the bad actors we have seen infiltrating this sector are kept out. Construction workers deserve a union free from criminality, corruption and violence. The administrator and his team can now move forward with confidence and continue their essential work in cleaning up the Construction and General division of the CFME EU. Interesting. Well, we've all heard stories, haven't we. Let's see how the administration goes and what success they have. And of course we all know that the incumbent federal government is inextricably bound to the trade union movement. But of course I think it's in their interests as much as anybody that it's clean, above board and doing what was always meant to do. Now, very soon we'll be talking to Robin einside. Let us know your stories of your favorite airlines or why what makes an airline successful? And I think Frank is on the line with another one.
Speaker 5: Hello, Frank, Hey, Yeah, I went to Osaka last year in November. I flew Look, I did fly business class with Cafe Pacific, but they had the best deal. I mean it was quite a lot cheaper than what you could properly get these days. But the service, the everything was just suburb interesting.
Speaker 2: I hear a lot of people talking.
Speaker 5: I couldn't fault them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they did rate very highly. They actually came in third behind Katar and Singapore and the overall Skytrack's rankings. Do you specifically target a certain airline, Frank, or do you just go for the best deal. I mean, we've got all those websites now where you can shop around for the cheapest fares, and there are all kinds of.
Speaker 5: And I used to work in the UK and i'd fly over once a year, and yeah, you'd have to get the best deal because you know, and normally i'd fly economy, but i'd sport myself because I had a new first time granddad.
Speaker 6: So yeah, good for you.
Speaker 2: I'm still still waiting for that honor for myself. Well, my wife and I are very keen to become grandparents and we might celebrate with a trip too. That's a good idea, mate, I've never thought of that. Thank you, Frank for your call. And if you have any other information on what makes a good airline, let us know this one on the Harbor Bridge from Linda, any money painting the bridge properly these days means writing a report. Well, that's part of the conversation, Linda, Yes, oh, and s these days would be vastly different to what it was when the bridge was first constructed, and so that would have an impact on how they manage maintenance. So many boxes to tick, as they say, the red tape. Quite a few other texts coming in on various things. I'll get to that text line in just a minute. The other story today is, of course, as I mentioned, Colin Mandy sc is in the spotlight at the Mushroom murder case, and he's been going through a whole range of different things that's been dutifully reported in the newspapers. And the latest in a very very long summation on behalf of the defense is that he's painting a portrait of an enduring family love that the Pattison family shared even after the separation of the accused Aaron Patterson and Simon Patterson it says his client shared a good and strong relationship with her estranged husband and a loving relationship with her in laws Don and Gale Patterson. Part of the defense, even though it's not a technical defense, certainly to try and persuade the jury is motive and that was one of the discussions that came up during the summation, and mister Mandy has returned to that theme. Why would she have done it anyway? So many facets to this. Of course, as you've probably heard, it's become a global phenomenon, the Mushroom case. So the jury at some stage I expect today will be allowed to retire and try and reach a verdict on this. And there's been a whole lot of legal and of course emotional argument back and forth, but it's been reported in great detail today on the Sydney Morning Herald website. Will keep you across that and other stories. I've had a couple of requests actually for some reports on what's happening overseas, so we'll check up on that too. Because these air strikes that are being traded between Israel and Iran are continuing right through our daytime and also our nighttime as well, so we wake up to news and there is more news during the day, so we'll give you the latest on that as well. In the meantime we'll take a break. We'll be coming back soon with robin eroinside twenty eight to one. We'll talk airlines in just a tick and we'll also give you an update too on what's happening with some cancelations and delays due to the volcano in Bali, and we'll ask robin eroinside about that as well. So plenty to talk about when it comes to aviation safety, and that's been a big feature of a lot of text we're getting in on what people search for most when it comes to an airline. I think that makes plenty of sense. We've had some requests about what's happening in the Middle East as well. So the latest news we're getting is that Erans Islamic Revolutionary Guard has warned residents of Tel Aviv toate the city now. This is according to Iranian news agencies. I stress the warnings accompanied by a map that's similar to those issued by the IDEA for ahead of strikes on Iran and Gaza, so the old tit for tat. Earlier today, they claimed the Fatah missiles had broken through Israeli defenses and they're claiming now complete domination over Israeli airspace, which of course is what the Israelis had said about Iranian airspace earlier today. And this has come after Donald Trump's comments on the latest situation. I'll give you that Iotola Ali Hamanius reportedly transferred a significant proportion of his power to the Revolutionary Guard's Supreme Council, according to a story in The Australian, amid Israeli threats to assassinate him now, President Trump said earlier today the US knew where Iran's supreme leader was, but had decided not to assassinate him, and I quote yet while Benjamin Netanyah, who has warned an assassination was not off the table the Israeli Prime Minister, it says. And the Australian continues to call for regime change and was joined in that call this morning by Riza Pallavi, the former Shah of Iran's heir. And the news comes as Israel again sends missiles enter tay Rana, to sending an evacuation warning to residents to near the city's airport, which doubles of course as a military base. We'll keep updating you on that. There's been some specific requests about certain targets too, which we will look into. And I did say months and months and months ago on maybe not this program might have been another one I was filling in for that Israel's long term strategy had to be very important when it came to their retaliation for the initial attacks from Gaza across the border, those horrific attacks. What is the long term goal? And I suggested at the time that unless they were serious about regime change in Iran, then they would only be stirring up the mud to create a new generation of terrorism. It seems now they are being more decisive about what their long term future is and let's hope that works out well for the benefit of all of us. It's twenty five to one now, don't forget. We're turning up the heat with up to forty thousand dollars worth of cash and prizes on the Winter Wheel. This is fanto. I'm really excited about this because I haven't been on the program since they started this thing, so this is very exciting for me too. Not that I'm going to win anything. I just like giving stuff away. We're spinning the wheel in Breakfast mornings afternoons. That's us and in Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard. Listen for the queue to call later in this show. It'll be in the last hour and you could spin and win with the Winter Wheel. This is the que to call.
Speaker 1: Two gbs Winter Wheel.
Speaker 2: That's just a trial run. That is not the official queut call. When you hear that later in the program, beat the first on one three hundred seven double two eight seven threes. That's a slightly different number. This is a specific wheel number, one three hundred seven double two eight seven three. So make a note of that because we don't want you to call the wrong number and miss out. So when you get that queue to call later in the program, it'll be in the final hour, in fact, the final half hour actually, so I don't want to give too much away, but make your life a bit easier. That'll be the Winter Wheel. Hopefully give you two and a half thousand dollars or I mean fifteen hundred went off in the last hour. That's pretty amazing. In Mark Leavy's show, okay, let's talk airlines. The Skytracks Airline Awards. They're sort of the oscars of the aviation industry. They've been announced overnight more than twenty two million customers using over three hundred and twenty five carriers, So it's pretty extensive. Really, it's not just a couple of people sitting in a room making it up, which often happens with media awards. Anyway. They fill out an online survey and from this they in a number of categories determine the best airline, including best overall, and that was CATSA Airways once once again world's best second year in a row. Singapore Airlines came in second, then Cave Pacific, which was mentioned by an earlier caller. All generally rate quite highly when it comes to service and quality of the flight. In terms of the Australian airlines, well, it's not like the good old days when we're getting a mentioned on Hollywood films. Top ranking airline was Quantus. They came fourteenth overall twenty fourth last year. Interesting, isn't it, But in saying that they have been recognized as the best carrier in the Asia Australia Pacific region and in the global top ten for best in flight entertainment. So if you want to catch the latest movies on your way to Europe. A quantus flight might be the place to do it, but it does beg the question, what is it for you? What makes a good airline? Robin eroinsight as the aviation editor at The Australian, knowing all the ins and outs. Since she's on the line. Thanks for your time, Robin. It's a pleasure bill, needless to say, and a few people have pointed this out. It has to be safety. I think let's assume that, let's just say, okay, that's a given. Safety would be the one thing that we're most concerned about. But before we get into the details of what people tend to prefer in airlines, and you might surprise us on that score, Kata, how do they do it?
Speaker 7: Yes, well, they certainly do it a lot. And the ninth time that they've won this sort of top prize in the awards, I have to say I don't hear from a lot of people who've had exposure to this particular survey, even though twenty two million people have filled it out. So I suspect perhaps that maybe certain airlines do promote it more than others, and that's why we've seen sort of Katar and Singapore airlines almost share the prize consistently almost throughout the history of the awards. Not that I'm saying it's undeserved. I mean, anyone who has phoonn On, Kata or Singapore would be aware that they are very good airlines. They provide a very good service. Everything is sort of first rate, from the seat, the day called, the service, the food, the in financertainment. Everything's top notch. So I don't think it's undeserved. Plus, they do have very good safety records as well.
Speaker 2: Customers, I take it, are largely the ones filling out these surveys to help make the decisions. How do the airline experts like yourself view these sorts of.
Speaker 7: Things, Well, these are I guess the awards that I probably considered that the most accurate in terms of the methodology and also the results. I don't think anyone can really argue that Kata, Singapore, Cafe Emirates are the best airlines in the world. I mean, anyone who has experienced them, and has perhaps experienced maybe a US in a line would probably vote in favor of the former.
Speaker 2: Right, And look, a lot of these airlines, people might say, I don't know much about them, but they are partner airlines. Now we have all these various partnerships. Kats are, for example, with Virgin Australia. I think is Emirates still with Quantas are though their main are they're a partner of Quantus, aren't they Emirates?
Speaker 7: They are that right, So a.
Speaker 2: Lot of people would probably use these airlines even though they might book a ticket through Quantus, they might finish up on one of these airlines.
Speaker 7: That's right, And certainly the data that the federal government issues every month shows that these airlines do carry a sizable chunk of people in and out of Australia. Along with of course Quantus and Jetstar and Air New Zealand.
Speaker 2: Australian airlines aren't performing as well as other international carriers. Is that because some of them are in fact government subsidized. Is that the only difference or are there other factors?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 7: I do think that's a big difference, the fact that profits perhaps aren't as important to government subsidized airlines such as Katar and Singapore Emirates to an extent. Yes, I'd certainly think that there's a degree of that. Whereas Quantus is very conscious of his bottom line has much higher labor costs than perhaps some of those other airlines, so it does make it difficult, I think, to compete on an even playing field with those particular carriers.
Speaker 2: Quatus has picked up the pace. They jumped up the leaderboards, to speak, but they were a long way down I must have been. I was surprised when I saw that they were down as far as twenty four in the rankings. What's happened in that time and can you sort of put your finger on how these trends are dictated?
Speaker 7: Well, they certainly had a spectacular fall from grace. It was pretty surprising in twenty twenty two, when the world was just sort of opening up, that Quantus was actually ranked number five in these awards. And then the year after when we saw Alan Joyce leave, we saw the a Triple C take legal action against Quantus. There were a whole series of controversy. That's when we saw the Quantus decline to really start being reflected in these awards. They went from fifth to seventeenth, and then last year they went to twenty fourth, and so I gathered the fact that they're now up to fourteenth shows that the turnaround under CEO Vanessa Hudson has started to work. It is being reflected, I guess in passengers satisfaction with Quantus.
Speaker 2: More people fly now than ever, we have a lot more feedback at our fingertips now than ever because of social media, the digital age, so to speak. How much does brand loyalty still come into it. Quantus was once an institution like our banks and other large companies that were identified with Australia brands. For want of a better term. That's not as big a deal now, is it.
Speaker 7: But I think there is an element of that, particularly with the frequent flyer programs. I think that really does encourage people to spend their money with one particular airline. And domestically, there's no argument that Quantus is the dominant carrier internationally. Quantus certainly still carries more people in and out of Australia than any other airline, including its own partner, Jet Style, but it does have a lot of competition. There's at least sixty airlines that fly in and out of Australia, so it's a much tougher stage I guess for Quantas, But that loyalty it does count for something I think people will often talk about you know, the relief they feel when they see that red kangaroo at the airport when they're getting on a flight.
Speaker 9: To come home.
Speaker 7: So I do still think that that counts for something.
Speaker 2: And look, it's a difficult business to get into, beyond the comprehension in fact of a lot of us. When you think about it running an airline, the capital investment, the safety, safety specifications, I mean, Rex for example, has become a bit of a cautionary tale for our regional carriers. It's not an easy thing to get into and maintain.
Speaker 7: No indeed, the margins are thin. And when you think about all the costs that airlines have to meet in terms of airport feeds, aircraft leasing, labor, fuel catering, all the regulatory fees that occur within the aviation industry, it's an enormous list of costs which they have to meet pretty much just through playing fares. There's not a lot of other revenue that they can get.
Speaker 2: How does the future look for Conners and other locally local airlines.
Speaker 7: I think it's looking pretty rosy. I mean, obviously, we're a country that relies heavily on aviation, and the fact that we have two dominant airline groups that are both profitable is probably a positive thing in a lot of ways. I'm sure there's plenty of us who would like to see more competition on the domestic playing field to perhaps raise standards of customer service and that sort of thing. Internationally, though, I think we're doing pretty well with such a high number of airlines that are operating in and out of Australia. There's competition on most routes, and fares are probably what they were in twenty nineteen or earlier. They haven't really gone up a lot when you take into account inflation, so no, I think I think the future is pretty good. And with the entry of Catai Airways raising the bar with Virgin Australia, that has actually triggered quite a lot of airlines to do the same. We're seeing Emirates launch new products into Australia to try to keep their customers happy. Eddie Hads doing the same, Singapore Airlines and New Zealand United, they're all undertaking product upgrades and targeting the Australian market. Definitely a win for.
Speaker 2: Us, and just a quick one before we let you go, Robin. And of course this is on very short notice, I understand, but the eruption of this volcano in eastern Indonesia is going to cause I think quite a few problems. Apparently a lot of New Zealand is stranded after a flight due to leave den Pasar in Bali for Auckland was canceled, and I think most of the airlines involved you've got any New Zealand, Jet Star, Virgin and Quantus indeed are all keeping an eye on this. So it looks like there might be some delays as volcanic ash keeps spewing into the atmosphere.
Speaker 7: Indeed, Jetstar and Virgin Australia have both confirmed a number of cancelations. Jet Stars canceled for return flights out of Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane, and Virgin has also canceled two of its return flights. So yeah, we are seeing that, I'm sure inconvenience to a lot of people. And Quantus has indicated they've got two flights this afternoon which are likely to be laid at this stage, and they're keeping an eye on it. The things get worse, they will cancel them because volcanic ash does pose a serious safety threat to aircraft. Because it can be ingested into engines and that can cause problems with airflow, and that's the last thing you want when you're thirty five thousand feet And of.
Speaker 2: Course, you know, I know travelers can get very edgy about these things, but we've got to put it in perspective. I mean, people's lives are at risk here in Indonesia, and even though there's no reports yet to damage your casualties, there were nine people killed back in November and thousands were displaced, so it's a very serious matter. There's a seven kilometer exclusion zone in the area around the place, so I guess people just have to be patient, don't they.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, it does make you appreciate how lucky we are in Australia that we don't have active volcanoes. Absolutely yeah, regular as sorry, as regularly as they do in Indonesia.
Speaker 2: Robin Einside, thank you very much for your time.
Speaker 7: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: Bill Robin's the aviation editor of The Australian. I'll get back to the text line shortly. We've had some very interesting reports on various airlines coming in different people with their different ratings, and one from Gary. Thank you for your great work. At Saint Christopher's Football club sixtieth aniversary dinner. Thank you, Gary. Only too happy to help out and encourage junior sport and make young people better citizens as a result, we hope. I flew cat Art to London via Doha last June, says Kelly. The flight was awful. Staff were rude, food was gross and service non existent. Was squeezed in like cattle. There you go. See, not everyone has the same experience. The only way to rate an airline, says Maria, is safety. This one from Patrick paid business class to travel recently on Quantas. The windows in the Sydney lounge are all closed off, no view outside. You just sit next to shaded windows. Left the lounge to avoid claustrophobic, very crowded lounge. So disappointing that what should Bequantus's number one business lounge in the world doesn't even have windows. I'm not aware of that, Patrick, I haven't been in the Business International terminal Quittus lounge, he says, just clarifying in a second text, Thank you, Patrick, I haven't been in the business lounge for a long time. It used to be part of my previous employment. I flew a lot around the world, but not for quite a long time. Interesting from Paul. So, if regional airlines are not easy to make a profit on, why all these crazy multinational investors always ready to invest. Yes, I wonder about that, Paul. I do wonder about that. A few more texts saying the best airline is the one that doesn't crash. A sobering text from someone with no name. Well done, Billy, You sound just like Netan Yahoo, the war criminal himself. I'd like to think I wasn't that harsh. Thank you for your text. You're entitled to your opinion on net and Yahoo and me. But I was simply pointing out the fact that a lot of people would like a regime change. They think it would settle the Middle East if they had a regime Iran. A lot of Iranians think that too, But how they go about doing that, where they send their missiles, and who gets hurt in the process. I will not pass judgment on I was certainly not condoning that. Just in case you were wondering now. Back in the late eighties, says Mitch, I was playing golf with the mate and an English fellow as he was by himself. It turns out he was the pilot of the BA plane that flew through the volcanic ash and the engines stalled. He said that it got to the point that they had one more attempt to start the engines or that was it, and they started up. He thought they were done for What a story. I wonder if the passengers knew that at the time. Mitch, Oh, there you go. Haven't been oversea since two thousand and nine, says Ben. Yes, well, just HARKing back to our various conflicts. I did see a map the other day online. You might have sent it in one of the newspaper websites as well, which just showed where all the flights are being diverted now due to the troubles of course in Ukraine and the Middle East, and that has since expanded. And yes, I think there might be a bit more aviation fuel burnt up, and rightly so, I think we're agreed on that to keep away from certain areas. Anyway, Oh, thank you kind words, Bob, Thank you Paul very much appreciate it. We'll had relatively short notice, but we're plowing through thankfully. The Michael McLaren shows just a smooth well oiled machine. When we come back, I'll tell you what that machine will be up to in the next hour. Just a couple of bits of news. We had a text asking earlier explosions were seen near a moss Ad building outside Tel Aviv, and there are reports that Mossad's HQ has been hit, but they are mostly from Irany and media and unconfirmed by the other side. But that at least is the best we can do for you on the question specifically on that. Now there has been an announcement from the Treasurer. You might know that he's been addressing and still is the National Press Club. We had albow in last week and this week it's the Treasurer and I can tell you that he's announced he'll be hosting an economic reform round table over three days from August nineteen to twenty one. The Prime Minister will be involved and he's invited the RBA Governor Michelle Bullock, and will invite Danielle Wood that's the Productivity Commission chair, to participate. The Treasurer says a mix of government, business and unions will be represented and the roundtable will be about shaping the direction for long term economic reform and setting guiding principles. So will it be another talk fest? There was hope this morning. This was flagged actually vaguely in the newspapers this morning, and commentators are saying, are we really going to see some serious reform from this government? Now? I know you might not agree with that reform, but as I said earlier, governments generally are reluctant to stick their necks out. Will that result in anything later on? Let us know what you think. One through one eight seven three or zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. We'll be back to talk McCartney.
Speaker 1: Now onto gb and network stations. Back to afternoons with Bill Woods filling in.
Speaker 2: From Mangol and Clary. Yes, and thank you very much for being with us, and keep the calls coming one three one eight seven three or zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three on the text line about anything you like. We've talked about airlines, what makes a good airline and what has governed your choice in the past. We've had plenty of feedback on that, various opinions on different airlines, including a negative one on Katar, which has been voted by Skytracks as the world's leading airline. At least according to a quite large, it must be said, survey of customers around the world. As Robin Einste said to us earlier, it's a very high quality survey according to aviation experts. Now we'll talk in this out very shortly to Dave Wilco Wilkins, who's a musician and a very accomplished one. I might add also a Paul McCartney fans celebrating McCartney's eighty third birthday, love to get your feedback on that. Whether you're a McCartney or a Lenin person, do your mind have you met him? And I'll tell you a bit of a story about one of a member of our management team here who actually ran into Paul McCartney in a very unusual place. Great story, and you're welcome to tell us of any other brushes you've had with fame too. It might not necessarily be McCartney, but if you ever met a famous person in an unusual place, we might have to keep that, might have to put a bit of censorship on some of those stories. Perhaps just saying in case you're a big fan of rock bands back in the day and hang out with them. Blake Went will join us. The next half hour after half past will be Pretzel Wealth, as it is all the time on this day with Michael McLaren. He'll talk about anything you like and one three one eight seven three you have a question for Blake or get him on the text line as well, and come up into financial year all those things you must have a question, make use of that knowledge while you can, so Blake will join us a little later on. Don't forget we've still got the Winter Wheel that's coming up in the final hour today. We've got one hundred and fifty dollars voucher from the b Store to give away for Track of the day, and we'll also be having a chat with the Master Builders Australia who want the Federal government to do a few things that they think are quite bold to unlock productivity. We'll see what they have to say. So that's a little snapshot of what's coming up for us a little later in the day. Plenty of stuff coming through on the text line, and we're also going to catch up with a reporter. I think we've got Penelope Lish right now, our nine years reporter who's been covering the so called mushroom case where Aaron Pattisons on trial and her defense lawyer, Colin Mandy sc has been spending quite some time in his closing summation. So, Penelope, thanks for.
Speaker 10: Joining us, Thanks very much for having me, and.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you've just ducked out of the court too, because this summation I believe continues in a very very detailed one from Colin Mandy today.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so this is the second day of Colin Mandy's closing argument. He's told the jury yesterday that they need to use theirs, not their hearts, that they should put any sympathies aside as to what has happened in this case, and to focus on the evidence that's been put before them.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 10: The defense argue this was a tragic accident, that Aaron Patterson never deliberately poisoned anyone. What Colin Mandy has been taking the juries through this morning is a number of different elements. He's told the jurors that Aaron Patterson isn't on trial for Lyne, that while she did lie about a lump on her elbow, that she had a lump, that her in laws showed a lot of attention and concern for that, that disappeared, and she continued to tell them that she had medical appointments regarding that lump to get their care and attention because she felt she was being isolated from the family at that time. That they can't make any leap from there to find her guilty of allegedly murdering anybody, that they need to look at the specific evidence regarding what she has been charged with. And on Colin Mandy's case, he says there was no intent to cause any harm to any of these lunch guests. He's spoken just in the last few minutes about what he says is an alleged ruse that the prosecution has put forward. That the prosecution has alleged Aaron Patterson used a fake cancer diagnosis to invite the lunch guest to her home to discuss that, and Colin Mandy has told the jurors that she didn't tell the lunch guest that that she'd only told her estranged husband that she wanted to discuss health issues. But beyond that, he says that in the second point that he's putting to the jury, that these particular jurors should look at what basically break down that particular argument that if there was a ruse for the lunch guests to come on the evidence the conversation about Aaron Patterson's health, and the evidence from the only surviving lunch guest ian will concern is that she told them she did have a cancer diagnosis after this lunch, That that conversation happened after they'd come to the home and after they'd eaten. So, if there was a ruse, Colin Mandy put to the jury, what would be the point of having that conversation following the lunch. They'd already been there and eaten the meal. He says, if that was the case, why would she have this conversation with those munch guests at all?
Speaker 2: And I believe earlier in the summation, Colin Mandy refuted some of the behaviors there in Patterson after the fact, so to speak, that he said were really attributed to panic and not anything else. Was that also part of his discussion today.
Speaker 10: So Colin Mandy has said, through his case and through his closing argument, that Aaron Patterson panicked in regards to some of her actions. But what he's put to the jury today is what he's a discussion around hindsight evidence He's said that it is very dangerous to use hindsight when looking at particular actions, that people only act with the information that they have at the time, and that everyone has more information when they look back on things in retrospect. But he has warned the jury about doing that. He's warned the jury that when the eecution has put certain things to them, like the fact that Aaron Patterson dumped the dehydrator, that they alleged that she lied about feeding the leftovers to her children, that they alleged that she lied about where the mushrooms had come from, that using hindsight to look back at any actions is something they really should not be doing, and they need to see it, he says, in the context of how these individual actions occurred at the time.
Speaker 2: And penlopep before we let you go, any sense of when the summation will finish and when the jury will be able to retire and try and reach a verdict.
Speaker 10: Well, there's still Colin Mandy. He will go for as long as he goes for. But he's certainly had a lot of points this morning and given no indication to the jury that he's getting close to the end. Yet we do know that once his his summations are finished, that the next thing for the jury to consider will be the judge's charge, which is expected to go over a number of days. And there's also expected to be a break for a day or so so that that there can be sort of that charge written without them.
Speaker 3: In the courtroom.
Speaker 10: So they is expected to be a little bit of time still until this jury goes out.
Speaker 2: Right, We thank you very much for your time, Penelope. We'll let you get back in there. We really appreciate it. Thank you, Penelope Leish there from nine years reporting on the alleged mushroom case, howeveryone refers to it, the charge of the trial of Aaron Patterson in Victoria. It's quarter past one. We've got calls coming in, by the way, the Mushroom Trial, Say Grace podcast from nine podcasts. That's where you can hear more from Penelope who has been covering that case and will continue to do so. I think we'll take a quick break. We'll come back and tell some McCartney stories and hear from the great Wilco himself. Eighteen past one before we do a bit of celebrating of Paul McCartney's birthday with Wilco. We've got a call from Scott. Thanks for waiting on Scott, because we also asked if you had an unusual brush with fame. I think in Scott's case it might have been a tinkle with fame. What's your story, mate?
Speaker 11: It was a little sit Uni quiz night and Graham Bond, who was Ardie Jack Artie Jack was the quiz master and he was standing were standing at the urinal and doing a business, just looking your head, and he said, I'm going to light have you And I said, yeah, I did so I fished out light game of light and then he said thanks. And then when we went back out, he recommenced the quiz and we were struggling out and he said, first, first, Plake put the hand up that table a'ts a dozen bottles of wine, and it was I put mine up about one hundred. You know, I was about one hundred and fifty. He goes, yeah, that blike over.
Speaker 2: There was his very very I don't think I've ever met Graham Bond, but I hear he's very down towards sort of bloke, and that would have been an interesting exchange. I'm glad you didn't say mate, let me shake your hand. It might have gone not gone down too well. Good on to your Scott, Thanks mate, good story. Let's get into it. Eh ah. Yes, and just a bit of trivia there because I'm a jazz nut. That was the great horn player Tom Scott, just bringing in the little bit of saxophone there at the end of that chorus. And the reason I played that particular song. I mean, how many songs as could you play? From McCartney? What do you do? We've been listening to what the man has said for many, many generations eighty three today, Sir Paul McCartney, from Beatles to Wings, the solo work, it's been quite a contribution to not just music but culture in general. And we thought we'd get a bloke who likes him a bit, the great Dave Wilkins Wilco's gig guide of course as a regular on the John Stanley Show on Thursdays, and we thought no one better than Wilko, who's accomplished musician himself, to pass judgment on the McCartney era.
Speaker 8: Hello mate, to pass judgment.
Speaker 6: I love that.
Speaker 8: See how are you today, matean and hello to your listeners, what a great day eighty three years old, Paul McCartney, Wow.
Speaker 2: What is your experience? As in? I remember when I was a kid. My two sisters who are quite a bit older than me, one eleven years older, the other thirteen years older. They used to listen to forty five's on the old stereo at heart when I was just a baby, and I was hearing Beatles songs and a whole lot of other stuff from the sixties. And that was my introduction to the Beatles. And Paul McCartney, what was yours.
Speaker 8: Mate, I've got the greatest Beatles story ever. My mum, my dear departed mum. She told me only about ten years ago. She said, when I was born up in courage On in the mountains, there was all these bassinets and she said, which one's my son, And they said, it's the one that's rocking in the basinette to the Beatles song. And it's never stopped. I've been a McCartney fan forever. One of my earliest recollections of buying a vinyl album was I was in my single digits. I think I was at school and Venus and Mars was coming out, and I saved up all my coins and I went to the record store and bought that. I must have played that until it wore out. You know, it just was one side to the other. I could not stop listening to just amazing.
Speaker 2: It wasn't until I started digging deeper into the Beatles catalog and they started issuing stereo versions and remastered versions of their original albums. And I'll tell you what, if you haven't heard a lot of that stuff recently other than the big hits, and we'll go you'd know what I'm talking about. We don't want to get too detailed and too musical about it, but a lot of the stuff the Beatles came up with was later copied by a whole lot of They inspired so many other great musicians of the seventies and beyond whose sounds we thought, wow, that's cool. But then if you go back, you might find a back catalog song from the Beatles and one of their albums it wasn't well known, and you'll think, oh, crikey, they've already done that.
Speaker 8: You're absolutely spot on, Bill. I think you'd be hard pressed to put on any radio station around the planet, just on any minute of the day without finding the Beatles inspired or Paul McCartney or John Lennon inspired song or riff or melody or hook, and you know they had more hooks in the ktel fish and vision. Those guys, it's just unbelieved. They couldn't write a bad song.
Speaker 5: Good day.
Speaker 2: Lennon was, of course socially incredibly famous and you know, imagine was a big deal for a lot of people back in the day and that kind of swayed them in favor of him. But look, my personal view is I think McCartney has produced a lot more high quality work, notwithstanding, of course Lenin sadly what hasn't been with us as long. But you know, you were more. Do you think there's an argument there that McCartney was the greater contributor. I guess it probably doesn't matter in the long.
Speaker 8: Term, do you know. I mean, we've we've just been blessed by some footage over the last couple of years that there's been put together, you know, in those mini series that Disney brought out of the Beatles in the studio in and around their last couple of albums, and it just shows the contribution that Paul McCartney had over the band. And also you George Mark and he was definitely a standout and that I mean, you know, four incredible, incredibly talented musicians in that band, but Paul McCartney felt to me like he was the one in the last couple of albums that was making it all happen.
Speaker 2: And beyond that, of course you had Wings. Then he had some solo work as well. Wings got a lot of criticism because of well a lot of it was dude, Linda McCartney. That's all very strange people think, thinking she wasn't talented enough to play alongside her husband. But you know, all that aside, he went on to write many, many other great songs.
Speaker 8: No, just isn't it. It's just an encyclopedia of songs And if there's any aspiring songwriters out there, you just have to listen to any of those records from the sixties, seventies, eighties, and like I think the last one was only a couple of years ago, Bill that he's still contributing and writing to this day. You know what an incredible talent, you know, from Blackbird Yesterday Live and Let Die Hell to Skelet a Band on the Run, all those kind of songs, they're just amazing.
Speaker 2: Yep. There's a grammatical error in Live and Let Die which always bugs me in this ever changing world in which we live in, is grammatically incorrect. It bugs me. I don't know why. But anyway, apart from that, I love it. I love the song. But anyway, Look, the other thing about McCartney too is that he has been, as far as I know, very generous with a whole lot of other musicians of later generations. He happily collaborates, He involves himself with all sorts of people. And I think that legacy is important as.
Speaker 8: Well, without a doubt, that's a great word. Legacy is going to leave the most magnificent collection of songs, quite possibly in history. So we're talking about a guy that's paved the way for newer musicians. He's paved the way for technology, he's paved the way for touring. He's incredible and still active to this day, Like right now, he's out doing you know, he's on the road doing bits and pieces. You just wonder where this guy gets the energy from.
Speaker 2: And his breadth of work encompasses some pretty profound stuff. I mean, you look at yesterday for example, and some of it's simply profound. Literally, I mean that, yeah, and melodically the arrangements as well. And yet he wrote a bit of junk too. I mean there's some stuff on his albums. Particularly what was he doing when he recorded that? Who said that was a good idea?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 8: He was known a couple of times for taking a bit of a token for wacking back.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 9: It was possible there.
Speaker 8: But it's funny you just say that that word arrangement in the songs, as you say and your intro there, you're a bit of a jazz head villain. The thing is, with jazz musicians and pop and rock, the arrangements really matter. They're everything in a song. And the arrangement song just just say live and let die. It has three or four different sections to that song, which are all equally as magnificent when you put them all together. Wow, they're just masterpieces. And he was great with getting bits and pieces of songs and putting them, gluing them together to become a hit. They're just his knack of arrangements was uncannon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the intensity in that song, Yeah, the mood changes within that relatively short space of time. It's pretty well done. Do you know will go? If he wrote that was he commissioned to write that for the James Bond movie or was that a song that they They must have commission him to write it because it had the same title as the film, So yeah, it must have been a doubt.
Speaker 8: Definitely. Look without going to doctor Google here, I do believe that that was the case. And how well that fitted for that time and for that movie. That's just unbelievable. That section in the end with the orchestration, Wow, that's just mind boggling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. It is amazing. And just quickly before I let you go, we've got news coming up. He's still performing in his eighties. And I said it before, I really regret not going to the concerts he did in Australia, and nearly everyone I knew seemed to be going to those concerts. Yeah, I can't remember why I didn't. There was a good reason for it at the time, but it's it's yeah, it's it was something special apparently for a guy that old Bill.
Speaker 8: I was really lucky enough to go in. I think it was November, memory serves me, November in twenty three and I was at in Sydney and it was there was a feeling amongst the audience, You're just in the presence of greatness, you know, and like the hour building up to the gig, it was just something euphoric. And then he got down on stage and he performed for three hours. He did I for the first time ever, did a duet with John Lennon. You know, thank God for a and technology. But I got a feeling with John Lennon and it was just one of those moments you're never ever going to forget. So yeah, it was a shame he didn't go to that, mate. I've been to a few McCartney shows and each one has just been just, you know, a life altering experience. Ever met him, I've never met him.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 8: I wish I had, but I'd probably be star struck. To me, I'd probably go into that world where'd say something really stupid. But no, I mate, I would have loved to have met the guy. But still time, he's still alive, and he's still picking and he's still.
Speaker 2: To one of our managers here. Lisa told us the story this morning that she was at the ABC at a loading dock and he'd made an appearance there apparently, and suddenly she was out there standing on the loading dock and next to her is Paul McCartney. She was twenty three at the time, and yeah, and they just had a little brief chat. His security guard was standing there making sure that you know, she wasn't a threat or anything. But he must have been taking the sneaky way out after an appearance there for some reason, and she ran into the leading doc.
Speaker 8: She'd, yeah, it's not the place she'd expect to meet somebody like that. But but yeah, from from all, from all instances, and the folks that I know that have met him, and they just say, is the most down to earth you know, easily talk to human being with And you love to hear that about your idols, don't you that that that they're just great human beings and want to share some time with you. I think that's a that's something that that some of the you know, the superstars that don't have, but he certainly does.
Speaker 2: And just before we go, Hi, Bill says Nick that line in Living that I always annoyed me too, But I wonder if it isn't in which we're living, you know, Nick, that's a good point. I've heard the song a million times and he's probably in which we're living. He's probably dropped the g as you would.
Speaker 8: There's a grammar problem there too.
Speaker 2: Come on, Yeah, but that's a good point Nick, and Albie says, if you're worried about grammatical errors, you might as well give up on music and poetry. Well, that was just a jarring one, Albie. I'm not totally against grammatical errors. Hey, I really appreciate your time. Welcome. We look forward to hearing you on the John Stanley Shelf course tomorrow night.
Speaker 8: Oh thanks for having me on today to talk about Paul McCartney because Jesse, He's an incredible human being and I've been a loyal fan for a very very long time.
Speaker 2: Good only mate, Thanks for coming in. Dave Wilkins, time for the news. Good afternoon, Aaron Mark, Good afternoon, Bill.
Speaker 12: Police have described a six hour sexual assault on a teenage girl as Hanus. Four teenagers have been charged over the attack, which started in Liverpool in December. The Prime Minister has held talks with the boss of the European Union. As Australia and Europe formerly entered negotiations to develop a defense and security pact. Optus is apologizing for engaging in unconscionable conduct, has agreed to a one hundred million dollar fine for selling plans to customers who can't afford them, and three Australian cities have been named in the World's Most Livable list. Adelaide in ninth, Sydney in sixth, Melbourne in fourth. Copenhagen took out top spot in sport Tennis Star Arena. Sabolenka has apologized to Coco GoF for making completely unprofessional comments after the French Tennis Open final. Sabolenka says the only reason Golf won the match was because of her mistakes. And there'll be more news at two o'clock on afternoons.
Speaker 1: Oh weather update.
Speaker 2: We'll be here to help in unexpected weather. Nurmain Insurance a help company. Let's start with Sydney, pretty basic, really, top of sixteen degrees and just sonny, some light winds, but apart from that just sunny. Sometimes though a very still winter's day can be very cold, but nevertheless sunny and Sydney top of sixteen degrees, a little cooler in the central Tablelands area top of twelve degrees. There morning frost with how that you'd expect. Areas of frost and the chance of fog this morning, but Sunday afternoon wins northeast to southeast, fifteen to twenty k's lighter as the day progresses, and twelve's not too bad because if you're in Canberra, it's only eleven. Also sunny there too, so pretty quiet and again light wins in Canberra. That's a quick look at the weather. It's twenty seven to two. Don't forget. We'll get your Beatles stories in Paul McCartney stories after the hour, because right after this we'll have Blake went for his regular segment. So one three one eight seven three or zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three for some free financial advice. It's twenty three to.
Speaker 1: Two now on afternoons, All Things Finance with Blake went from Pretzel Wealth. Organize your free consultation at Pretzelwealth dot com dot au.
Speaker 2: Yes, Blake is here. One three one eight seven three zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. He'll talk about anything you like relating to personal wealth finance. It's how are you mate, good mate, good yourself well? In a financial year, you'd be pretty.
Speaker 13: Busy, pretty busy, just trying to get contributions into super and move moneys around. So it's an exciting time. It certainly keeps me up at night, but it's all good fun.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think with the the unexpected, it's fair to say in some quarters speculation about interest rates going down, we'd have a lot of self undered retirees thinking, hmm, do I move my money around?
Speaker 13: Certainly, and you know some of the minutes that have come out from the RBA that there's question marks around okay, what you know if tariffs from the US come back online? What does that mean for us? And the market is starting to talk about potentially a July rate cut again. So it's it's interesting to see, you know, some of that commentary. We'll no closer to the date, of course what's happening there, But this is the theme now, Bill. It's interest rates are coming down. How quickly well, time will tell. But as they come down, that's great for mortgage holders. Not so great if you're a retiree with cash sitting in the bank.
Speaker 2: I've got three kids with mortgages. They know all about it. They're in their thirties. They're trying to pay it down and do it a pretty good job. They're disciplined about it, but hey, if you're a self under retiree with a short term deposit, and those sort of things are important. Leaving super side for a moment, but there's all those factors too.
Speaker 13: Certainly, you know you're now starting to think, Okay, do I leave my money in the high interest savings account?
Speaker 2: Do I leave it in cash sitting there?
Speaker 13: Yes, you might be getting a better interest rate than locking it up for twelve months, but maybe the term deposit or locking it up for a longer period of times the way to go, especially if we're thinking, well, there's going to be a few more rate cuts. So you know, whilst at the average i'd say twelve month term deposits sitting at about four percent, that's lower than what you can get in a high entred savings account, high indret savings accounts are sort of sitting around that four and a half to four point seventy five percent on average. Some are giving you bonus rates in the five still, but certainly this is on people's minds. They're saying, well, what do we do now? You know, this is the conversation we're having. As COVID was kicking on when they started cutting rates quite aggressively. Cash was effectively paying you nothing back then, and so alternatives had to be considered. Push people into the stock market, had to get money's invested. And I think that's where it's going to go again.
Speaker 2: And if so, for how long? That's the other thing tend to be question. That's a piece of string question obviously when it comes to the economy. It's twenty to two calls some text coming in already, mate, which is great. Thank you for not leaving it to the last minute, because we can't accommodate you. If you do so, we really appreciate it. Brian, well done, You're first in the queue. How can Blake help?
Speaker 14: It's good afternoon. Every year I put the maximum amount of concessional contribution into my super whereby the super by superparton, takes out fifteen percent of that and gives it to the government as tax. At the time of my death. If it's the person who gets my inheritance from my super is not my spouse, it is my children, they are potentially able to be charged by the government fifteen to seventy percent tax on that inheritance. What I want to know is, therefore I have what they call a taxable component in my superannuation fund, in my accumulation fund. How why do I have to pay additional will my children need to pay additional tax on that? Why is it called a taxable component? And how can I not be in that position?
Speaker 13: Okay, So this all comes back to how super was created and the treatment of tax under certain circumstances.
Speaker 2: So you're quite right.
Speaker 13: If you pass away and your super goes to your spouse, no tax on that on that amount. But if it goes to adult children, you're axible component will be taxed fifteen percent if it goes to them via the will or the estate. If you transfer the or the superinnuation ends up going to the children directly, so you nominate the children as beneficiaries on your superfund, then there is a fifteen percent rate of tax plus Medicare because obviously Medicare is important, so they slap on a two percent medicare charge on that. Getting around that, there's two ways. One is, if you're young enough, so under the age of seventy five, you could consider a recontribution strategy. Also subject to I suppose your total superbalance if you're less than one point nine million dollars at the moment you can do these recontribution strategies, moneys would come out of Super. Moneys would then go back into Super subject to contribution limits. So you can effectively get in one hundred and twenty thousand or three hundred and sixty thousand back into Super. So essentially money's out, money's in. If you're mindful that maybe there's not so much time left, you could withdraw Super in its entirety. So if you can pull the total balance out of Super, then that will negate any death taxes applicable superannuation.
Speaker 2: So two options.
Speaker 13: The second option really is a bit tricky because we don't know what time we've got left, and it's very difficult to sort of try to pinpoint that. So option one's the preferred option. Get some advice around this. Moneys need to leave Super, go back in, and when they go back in, it enters the tax free component, and when you pass away, it doesn't matter who gets the Super. If a component of that superannuation is tax free, there's no tax applicable to that. So, yeah, you quite make a good point. Bright not too many people are aware of this death tax that sits there in Super. Fifteen percent tax has been paid in. It's in a concessional environment. You're able to start income streams later on in life through retirement and enjoy the benefits of potentially having it all tax free. But the government certainly wants to take their share at the end.
Speaker 14: Would my superfund handle that reconstitute reconstribution amount? Would they do that or would I have to pay a financial advisor to do that?
Speaker 2: They can help you.
Speaker 13: They would have financial advisors that can assist with that strategy. You may have to pay for the advice from the superfund, but I would always encourage getting some advice around that, because you don't want to sort of pull too much out of super can't get it back in, and so have a chat with the super fund. They may be able to point you in the right direction, but they may end up saying, look, go speak to one of our advisors and there may be a charge for that.
Speaker 14: Okay, very helpful, Thank you, Blake.
Speaker 2: Thanks Brian, Good luck, Brian. I think we'll probably you've probably answered a lot of this next one on the text line, Blake, but it might be slightly different, so I'll ask it anyway. This is from Robin who says, I have a SUPER account where I have nominated my two sons as fifty percent each beneficiaries. I understand they would need to pay tax at their current tax rate once the funds were distributed to them. However, if it was paid to my estate instead, are they still liable for tax?
Speaker 13: So the simple answers, yes, they would be liable for tax irrespective, but it's not at their marginal tax rates. It's at a captu rate of fifteen percent. However, if it goes the goes to your sons directly, there's a fifteen percent rate of tax plus two percent medicare levy.
Speaker 2: So terribly important.
Speaker 13: Whilst you can to try to clean up the death tax, of course, we need to have access to SUPER. So generally speaking, over the age of sixty, if you've med a conditioner or release, you can access SUPER. Or be sixty five years of age and still working, that's fine, but you have to do this before turning seventy five. So terribly important to get this right and get this completed in time, otherwise there might be some taxes paid in it. At the end of the day, it just means less money going to kids or whoever you're intending whoever you're intending to have the money's go to.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Blake went from Pretzel Wealth. This is of course his regular segment on the Michael McLaren Show. It's fourteen to two. We'll be right back one three one eight seven three or on the text line zero four six, zero eight seven three eight seven three. Blake wentz with us from Pretzel Wealth at eleven to two, and we've got Mark on the line with another question for you. A lot of super questions today, which is understandable, I suppose, with all that's all the talk around from the federal government.
Speaker 6: Good a Mark, Yeah, good afternoon, Thanks for taking my call. I've just got a question in relation to a self managed super superannuation fund that I've got set up, which I've got with two other family members and or all trustees. Next year when we meet a condition to release and move it from accumulation into pension phase. We have a property within the fund. If we were to sell that property next year when it's moved into pension phase, is a coupital gains tax free with the mediate effect, or is there like a waiting period before it becomes capital gains tax free? Once the property involved.
Speaker 2: So there's a few things here.
Speaker 13: So one you've mentioned that there's other family members involved in the super fund. So generally speaking, all members would need to be in pension phase in order to sell the asset tax free. There may be a path for segregating assets, but often is the case that that's a little bit too tricky to pull off. But generally speaking, all members should be in pension phase if you're trying to sell it capital gains tax free. The second one is just around the timing. So what we want to do is, if we're not segregating the assets inside the self managed super fund, we want to be in pension phase for the full financial year, so that means from one July right through to thirtieth June. We want to be in pension phase through that period because it means that one hundred percent of the time, one hundred percent of the assets are in in pension phase. So that way you're selling the asset completely takes free. If, for example, you were to go into pension phase on the first of January, well only half of that time that's elapsed throughout that financial year has been in pension phase, and so only half of the game will be wiped essentially, so there still could be some capital gains. So two things to keep in mind, Mark One is all members need to be in pension phase and the second one is all members need to be in pension phase for the full financial year, so just be cautious of that. Speak to your accountant or the self many superfund administrator. They'll be able to guide you as to what the possible outcomes will look like. But it's a very common strategy. You've got money in super you've got an asset a house potentially in soup. You wait until getting to retirement phase to then sell that asset. Capital gains tax free, so it's a good move on that side.
Speaker 6: Okay, So essentially you've got to hang on under it when you're in pension phase for a good twelve months.
Speaker 13: No sorry sorry, Marky can sell that straight away. But what needs to have happened is you're all in pension phase from the start of the financial year, so you don't have to hold onto it for the full twelve months. You could sell at any time. It's mainly around how the members are structured in the superfund that matters. More so, so that property could be sold, but just make sure you're all in pension phase for the full financial.
Speaker 6: Year, for the full financial year. Okay, great, all right, thank you very much, Matte.
Speaker 2: Thanks for you col mate. Good luck with that. We'll try and rip through some of these questions on the text line Blake, with only a few minutes remaining, I wonder how many people actually understand how unitized super funds operate, says Michael, for example, incurring capital gains tax for other members cashing out. Does Blake have an opinion on switching to an ETF based superfund?
Speaker 13: So unitized fund so industry funds? Just think of industry funds. There you're all in the pool together, so you're sharing tax benefits and tax consequences us apart. So something to bear in mind. If you don't like that idea, then consider switching ETF super fund. So there's Vanguard who offer ETFs via super Look, you can consider that low cost way of investing funds. Before you do anything, just get some advice around. Is that the right move? There may be some things that you need to consider. Are you invested correctly? Do they invest on your behalf? Do you have to choose the investment? So just get some advice before moving.
Speaker 2: David has a question on the text line, could you advise how long I get to sell my deceased mother's house without playing capital gains taxes exactly? Is it exactly two years from her death or is it the rest of the financial year plus two full financial years.
Speaker 13: Yep, that's a good question. It's two years from the date of death. So if you go beyond two years from the date of death, what ends up happening is the price of the property, as the date of death is the cost base of that property, and so whatever you sell it for beyond that point, there may be some capital gainst tax on that portion, not from when a parent or a loved one purchased the property originally.
Speaker 2: Les wants to know, would my children need to pay tax with a funeral plan pay out when I die it's not in super.
Speaker 13: Generally tax free funeral plans.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 2: Maryland wants to know. Only heard the very end of the beneficiary's entitlement to superinheritance today. Is there somewhere I can hear this interview again as a podcast, Yes, I think Joel. It'll be up pretty soon after the show's finished on the two GB website. Maryland, so you can get all that. How do you declare your in pension age or pension phase? I think they mean with a self managed superfund.
Speaker 13: Okay, so this is paperwork, so speak to the administrator. There may be some minutes that need to be signed off on, but you're effectively making a self declaration to yourself because you are the superfund essentially.
Speaker 2: And I think we've got just enough time to answer one more question. Tom wants to know working full time, can my employer still put in contributions after I'm seventy five years of age.
Speaker 13: Yes, the employer can put in superfund. So as long as it's part of your agreements. You're not sort of a contract or anything like that. You're employed on a full time, part time casual basis and you're entitled to super Yes, super guarantee comes through.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now, don't forget Blake from Pretzel Wealth. We'll be back at this time next week, so make sure if you haven't got any if you haven't been able to get a question in today, you'll get a chance when Michael comes back and we do this segment again next week. Blake, thank you very much for coming in. Made all the best pleasure. Good to see out there. He is Blake went from Pretzel Wealth. I'll be back to tell you what's happening in the final hour coming up. After the news, we'll get back to the text.
Speaker 3: Lon.
Speaker 2: We've got some lovely stuff on the Paul McCartney connection, including more debate over the lyrics Live and Let Die. But we sorted it out. We've sorted it out. I was wrong, but it's just the way Paul sings it. Had me thrown. We'll talk to Danita Warren, CEO of Master Builders about their plans to call on the federal government to unlock productivity. Good luck with that. We need to build more homes. Master Builders are on it, but we'll find out what Dnita has to say. Also Matthew Wilson, who's from Road Maintenance Partnerships to Transport near South Wales. How are they maintaining the bridge these days? Is it getting tougher or easier? It looks a bit rusty at the moment, so I reckon we'd you for a repaint. But we'll find out more about that and we'll have the wind a wheel track of the day and a whole lot more. Hope you can stick with us now onto gb and network stations.
Speaker 1: Back to afternoons with Bill Woods filling.
Speaker 2: In from Mango. McLaren, thank you for being with us this afternoon. In case you've only just caught up with us, Michael has family matters to attend to. He's well, but he will be back on Friday, we understand, so I'll be filling in for the rest of this afternoon and tomorrow's program. Will talk shortly to the CEO of Master Billders Australia Tonit or Warn and they want some action from the federal government. They have what they call bold ideas. We'll hear from them and hopefully we can, as they say, unlock this frozen building productivity. The building industry in a quite a state. Actually, we had these measurements of how well the economy's going, and invariably, as governments do, they trot out the ones that sound good, but there are many other measurements that aren't looking too good at the moment, and that's one of them. Not to mention the fact that we need more housing. Clinton maynardel join us, you'll drop in, tell us what's happening in Sydney. Now, Big show again this afternoon we'll also have a chat as we normally do at this time of the day with Scott Phillips, the Motley Fool. Matthew Wilson's the executive director of Road Maintenance Partnerships for Transport New South Wales. How are they going with maintenance of the Harbor Bridge? It just occurred to me today driving across the bridge seeing some pretty big rust patches. How has that evolved over the years. Is it harder or easier now to maintain the Harbor Bridge. We've got obviously evolving technology when it comes to paints and other coatings and treatments for the bridge, but it is a big hunt hunk of metal hanging over salt water, so it needs constant work. And we'll find out how we go about that these days, and whether they've got any revolutionary new ways of doing it, and what the greater traffic problems that we have in this city despite the fact that we've got a second tunnel being built, you know, do those traffic problems cause more difficulties when it comes to looking after the old coat hanger anyway, all that's just ahead of us. In the meantime, we've got our footy tips with Chuck now Chuk or Clawed, as is well known, is Michael's regular tipster on a Wednesday, and I have in fact filled in for Michael before and we've had Chuck on the program. He's not available today, but I will be able to give you his tips. So if you are ready with pencil in hand or whatever it is you write with in this technological age, fingers and thumbs on your keypad, We've got Chuck's tips, starting with State of Origin, where he's tipping the Blues to win, but by nine points. It's an unusual margin, isn't it, Considering in the first match it should have been a lot more than what it was due to the strangeness of their goal kicking. It was such a dominant performance and yet No only won by a couple of converted tries in the end. Anyway, the Morons have massive incentive to bounce back. There's been all this toing and frowing the whole Aaron Woods Billy Slayter saga that got very out of hand and unfortunate, very sad to have to bring the name of Paul Green into that conversation, unwittingly, I assume, but nevertheless it happened and I hope that doesn't sour things up too much. But to Queensland need any more incentive than their performance in the first game anyway, Blues by nine according to Chuk. Now let's get onto the NRL itself. We've got the Tigers. That's Michael's team playing the Raiders. Not an easy game for them, it has to be said. Thirteenth versus second, Chuck tips the Raiders there for the match between the Warriors and the Panthers, how well are the Warriors looking the Warriors and the Dolphins anyway? Warriors is Chuck's tip against Penrith, and when it comes to the Dolphins he also tips them to beat Newcastle. Pretty hard to go past those tips. Then it comes to rabbit Os and Storm. Now I thought the rabbit Os, even though I'm a Canterbury supporter, were flatted by that score on the weekend. They were completely dominated in that match and still found a way to get very close to beating Canterbury through sheer will. They defended extremely well, scramble well and that twenty five minute delay for lightning didn't help the Bulldogs because they're a team that tends to wear the opposition down, so having had a rest the rabbit O's came out and made a game of it. But anyway, they're playing the Storm and Chuck's tip is the Storm, and I think that's a fair tip. Now onto the Broncos game against the Sharks. That's an interesting one. Seventh playing fifth, arguably the best game of the round, and Chuck tips the Broncos. Then we move on too the game between the Roosters and the Cowboys. Fairly big round this weekend. A few teams get the bye, but Roosters and Cowboys. Chooks tipping the Roosters to win that one. That's eighth versus tenth should be a good though. And Paramount are playing the Titans. The Eels not looking too bad and the Titans looking well. It's sixteenth versus seventeenth, but both teams actually starting to look a bit better. Let's put it that way. We don't get too excited about it. Chucks tipping the Titans there. That might upset a few Paramatta fans. So there you go. Chuck's tips for the weekend at twelve past two. Now we'll talk to the Master Builders and just a tick. But I did promise to go back to the text line so thank you for hanging in there. And Mitch and a whole bunch of other people have been digging into their search engines to check the lyrics of Live and Let Die and if this ever changing world in which we're living is the actual lyric, which of course I stupidly never bothered to check. But I've just heard the way Sir Paul sings it a number of times and I thought it was a bit grammatically incorrect. But there you go. So a lot of people have sorted that out. For me, I feel so much better now. I can sleep tonight. But it's funny that you get hooked on those things. The other thing about song lyrics, and this is probably a discussion we might hold over for tomorrow, is what is the song lyric that you got wrong? For so long you thought they were singing one thing, but they are actually singing something else. That's another funny chat which we might leave for tomorrow because we don't have a lot of time in this last down. I've got plenty of things to do, so we might get onto that one tomorrow. If our team can remember that, we might bring that up because there's some very funny examples. What was that one our lips are sealed. A lot of people thought it was Albert the Seal. It was a like a kid's story or something. Anyway, there's a million of them. My son lived in London, says Steve, and met Robbie Williams in a club. He used to ring my son and put him on the VIP list. He was a great guy. There you go. That's a big touch with greatness. There's a bit on the internet that says Ray where ringos saying that they would be lying around at someone's house this is the Beatles, and the phone would ring and they'd look at each other and say it's him, referring to Paul McCartney being a hard task master. Interesting, thank you, Ray. John Lennon isn't even the second best Beatles, says Greg something my sweet lord, while my guitar gently weeps. George Harrison says Greg is the Well, he's either the second best or the best according to Greg. Hard to disagree with that, but anyway, it's all a matter of opinion. Enjoying your show. Paul McCartney's been my musical hero for exactly sixty years. What a genius and a lovely guy. No one comes close to this test. Thank you great to hear you again, says Will Tom Scott in the La Express superb on the live Jney Mitchell album Live Miles of Ales, and he's also recommended a John Coltrane live album for me. Thank you, Will and other music Officionado and jazz Lover and this one. I share the same birthday as Paul, says Sylvia went to see them at the airport in the rain with all the hundreds of screaming girls. Had my Beatles, boots and hat. Wow, so thrilling. That is a memory, Silvia, which I guess at the time you probably didn't think too much more about, but in hindsight something special part of history. Quarter past two more texts have been flowing in as well, which I will get to soon if you don't mind. We all know people are struggling to find builders of any kind to get construction work done. It's not easy. The good ones are very busy, as is always the case, but we're being told that profit margins have all but disappeared as builders are dealing with ongoing supply chain disruptions, material costs, fixed price contracts that no longer reflect the realities of the market, and the big thing with fixed price contracts obviously is that their labor costs are going up as well. According to Master Builders Australia, productivity in the industry has fallen eighteen percent over the last decade, despite the cost of building a home rising by more than forty percent, and they want the federal government to unlock that productivity now through a whole bunch of suggestions that they're calling bold practical reforms that will make a real difference. Well, Anita warn is the CEO of Master Builders and she's on the line. Anita, thanks for your time.
Speaker 9: Good afternoon, Bill.
Speaker 2: Bold practical reforms now, that's a lot to ask of any government. They tend to be very cautious when it comes to reinventing the wheel.
Speaker 9: What are they well, I think, first and foremost, it's great to hear the Treasurer today at the Press Club talk about the fact that he wants to see productivity as a cornerstone of their government of this term. So that's a good start. We're cognizant of the fact that we've got an industry that has been burdened by significant increasing in red tape, in time waiting for approvals and so forth. That time is money in the building game. That means that housing has become more expensive. So from our perspective, it's all about governments streamlining processes without necessarily adversely impacting quality or safety. We want to see a progress in terms of enabling infrastructure so that gets done more effectively and more efficiently. We want to see tax reforms that actually encourages those businesses that have good business practice and at the same time regulators pulling up those who are doing the wrong things so we then have a level playing fields. So the other types of things that we've discussed. We've had a Productivity commission that has said that our productivity is in a really bad shape and things have got to change for us to be able to build for all Australians.
Speaker 2: Whether it's a personal development. And we've seen a couple of stories in the newspaper recently. They pop up quite regularly actually about people who build homes or renovate homes and the neighbors are upset and the councils called in and all these problems. But there's also the large scale projects as well, where whole suburbs object to various things, but the excuse is always well, you know, we want to make sure it's done right. But I think what you're talking about is yes, of course, but can't we speed up the process by which we adjudicate these things? What is the hold up? Is it simply people on the ground that are able to process this? Is it staff?
Speaker 9: It's staff. It is the laws that make things complex rather than streamlined planning approvals where there's a one stop shop, for example, for all things to be approved as opposed to multiple agencies. You hear stories from our builders that they're getting one story from you know, Sydney Water for example, but another different story from the road transport in terms of creation of new suburbs that are contrary to each other. You've got a planning portal that has all sorts of problems in it that we know the new Southwalest government is trying to fit. We have a lack of staff in local council in terms of doing proper property inspections, planning and so forth. The list goes on, and everyone knows what the problems are, everyone knows what the solutions are. What we now need is a concerted effort across the country to actually get everyone actually working in sync. That's where the problems are. There's no one working in sync, right.
Speaker 2: And I assume a lot of these things you mentioned Sydney Water for example, are on the larger scale projects obviously, and they're the ones where, let's be honest, interested in most because they're going to provide more housing more quickly.
Speaker 9: That's right build. But interestingly enough, it's not just about new suburbs. It's also about infield projects as well. We know there's a lot of interest in that mindal ring with medium density and high density. But to do that, you need to ensure that the infrastructure that was there for us, say you know, twenty detached homes could actually accommodate one hundred units, and so a lot of the time there does need to be that critical infrastructure upgrades even before the builders can come in and start constructions. So there is a lot of components to building and building more homes to meet our housing targets. And we just need to get this sequencing right because when you've got a piece of land that is underutilized or not utilized, then that is costing someone money and they in turn will then pass it on to the homeowner.
Speaker 2: Now, look, I'm one of many people talking back now about small scale projects. We've had plans for a renovation sitting on a shelf for years now. I've got my own reasons for that. But the point I'm making is that building is becoming increasingly difficult and costly. And we've got builders, on the one hand saying their margins are shrinking. That it's in some cases they're taking on projects that are not actually making them any money. They want to keep their company and their employees still ticking over until they can actually start making a profit on other projects. But at the same time, of course, the people who are commissioning those projects are finding it increasingly difficult to afford them. How can we make those two ends meet?
Speaker 9: Spot on Billo and I think I'm like you, I've got plans that have been sitting on a shelf for quite some time. I think that the issue is really a couple of things. Well, first and foremost, we need to have an economy where inflation is kept debaying interest rates are low. We're starting to see that slowly happen where people can naturally afford it. But if you think about it, the building of a detached home or renovations is increased by over forty percent in the last five years and that's simply unsustainable. And so people are just they want to build, but they can't afford to build. So the thing we've got to look at is do we have enough skilled people to do the work. The answer is no, so we're focusing on our apprenticeships, but we've said to the government more needs to be done around skilled migration for trades in building construction. We're competing in an international market and we don't provide priority pathways for building construction trades. We also know that the builders with fixed price contracts quoting you know, sometimes twelve months in advance, and I've seen a skyrocketing in prices. So there's got to be a greater meeting of minds between clients, between and banks and the builders about what is a reasonable price. You know, we encourage builders not to go and sign contracts when you know you're going to operate at a loss. People have been burnt and that's how we get higher in solvencies. But you're right, they want to keep the business sticking. Nobox. It's not just about the builder, it's the forty odd trades that they support. In ongoing building in their.
Speaker 2: Business, and a lot of them are very very small operators, in some cases sole traders of course, and trying to feed a family week to week. Now, just quickly before you go, Danita, if you don't mind, the federal government is now free to crack down on the CFMEU after this High Court challenge, a constitutional challenge was dismissed this morning. That announcement was made by Chief Justice Stephen Gagler. All six grounds of the challenge rejected. How does the master builders greet that information? And does it make it better for Mark Irving the administrator to get things done?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Billo, I was in the High Court itself this morning to hear that decision handed down.
Speaker 8: It was a relief.
Speaker 9: To be honest, the industry has needed certainty. The High Court action has meant that there's been a lot of hesitancy by people to come forward because they weren't quite sure whether to support the administrator or support the executives in exile. That puts us to that we can now all get focused on cleaning up the union. But I think more importantly for us is that we're seeing from the evidence that's come out of the work that Mark has undertaken as administrator is there are some bad actors in our sector, whether they are unions or people that own businesses in the industry. Enough is enough. We've got to clean up our actors and industry and ensure that everyone is undertaking things lawfully. And this gives us the opportunity. It's a historic moment today.
Speaker 2: Well said, and thank you very much for your time today, Anita Warn pleasure.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Anita's the CEO of the Master Builders Australia. We'll be right back twenty eight past two ge times running out on this half hour. We've got a lot to do, including say healeo out to this blog from.
Speaker 1: It's that time of the afternoon. Time to find out what's coming up on Sydney. Now for the Sierrato successor of the turbo charged Kiak four, Kia's all new spausedan GT line very into available now find out more about Kia's later small car.
Speaker 2: Yes see how I managed to squeeze in all that sponsorship in between a breath. Hello Clinton, good to see you mate. This has been a pleasant surprise for you.
Speaker 15: Spend a lot of mok you Bill.
Speaker 2: Well, I knew you were on but you didn't know what it's a big surprise, hey, before we check out what's happening in the Sydney now this afternoon, don't forget we're turning up the heat with up to forty grand of cash and prizes on two GB's Winter Wheel. We'll be spinning the wheel breakfast mornings right here, right now and Sydney now of course with Clinton very soon. Listen for the queue to call and you could win. And in fact here's the queue to call.
Speaker 1: Two gv's Winter Wheel.
Speaker 2: Yes, be the first caller. Call one three hundred seven double two eight seven three, so it's not the usual number one three hundred seven double two eight seven three for your chance to spin the winter Wheel up to forty grands worth of cash and prizes. To be one, we had fifteen hundred go off with Mark Levy's show. Clinton, I'm sure is aiming for the big two thy five hundred. What else are you doing though this afternoon. Well, I've spent a.
Speaker 15: Lot of time in the last couple of months, actually the last year, but everyone else has jumped on board about in the medium the last couple of months about the way e bikes, particularly the fat Boy bikes so I think are being misused across Sydney. There's no registration system for them. Those who are riding, often teenagers, don't have any insurance. There's no licensing. Well this has caught my attention courtesy of the Mid North Coast News and it does follow on from my concerns about the e bikes. Ronald John Middlebrook has appeared in court. He has been accused of riding his mower. He has a ride on lawmower through the center of tar REI while eating a burger. He was He was eating a Hungry Jack's burger while he was going around the roundabout can Gara Drive in Tarree. A couple of weeks ago, now police observed a sixty three year old man allegedly driving a right on lawmower and carrying a takeaway meal. It is alleged he did not have the destration plates which are required for vehicles exceeding four hundred kilogram. So mister Middlebrook has appeared in court where he has defended himself. He had not had an active license since nineteen eighty six. That's a car license, not a MOA license. Yes, So he was questioned about the hungry Jacks whoppup that was in his hands at the time. There was a fear that maybe he'd gone through the drive through on the right on Moa. Anyway, Well know, his lawyers told the court that often he mowed his neighbor's lawns, and he mode his neighbour's lawns out.
Speaker 2: Of the goodness of his heart.
Speaker 15: He didn't charge for it, and in return for mowing the lawn, his friend bought him the burger. So he obviously need to get home on the ride on, so that he's to quote he made the unfortunate decision to go onto the road end of the road round about to get home. The charges has been dismissed.
Speaker 2: Ah, isn't that nice? Good old Tari common sense prevails. I don't think the same could be said for some of the fat boy riders. Nevertheless, I wonder if he we had the undercarriage down on that MA might have made a bit of noise. Name he would have lifted it up well.
Speaker 15: In the state of some of the roundabouts, and I was Intaria a couple of weeks ago for the floods, some of them ra over grown, so the council I think would have appreciated him going over the top of the round.
Speaker 2: That would have actually, mo while you're there, Hey, let's do the wheel thing we have. Clinton, stay with us please because you can be part of the momentous occasion. As Scott from Como joins us on the line today.
Speaker 5: Scott, Hi, Bill, Hi Clinton, Scott.
Speaker 2: Congratulations, mate, you win something. So let's just hold our breath and get ready as I give it a big spin. We're we're going clockwise, mat I hope you're okay with that.
Speaker 5: Oh mate?
Speaker 9: Anyway, all right, here we go.
Speaker 16: Pick the right one.
Speaker 2: It's spinning, it's spinning, it's clicking. I feel like I'm on the Don Lane show back in the day. Remember that the wheel with the car giveaway that stopped on.
Speaker 14: Oh you got it?
Speaker 2: Two and a half thousand, two and a half thousand dollars. I've come in here once and I've nailed it. What am I going to do tomorrow?
Speaker 6: Scott?
Speaker 5: You Bill?
Speaker 16: You got a magic touch though.
Speaker 2: Mate, Yeah, my wife doesn't say that, but still it's fantastic I've delivered for you. That's wonderful.
Speaker 16: Well, that is fantastic, thanks to Yeah.
Speaker 2: Stay on the line made of course, stay on the line, because, gee, Clinton, you're going to do well to top that.
Speaker 14: Well.
Speaker 15: We gave away fifteen hundred dollars on the program yesterday and we thought we were doing really well. You've just waltzed into the joint for meck Mack just beat the record two and a half game.
Speaker 2: That'll buy a couple of leaders of petrol. It's fantastic.
Speaker 15: There's some great prizes on that board as well.
Speaker 3: Mate.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy for you, Scott. Thank you. Clinton's got his blues cap on by how much tonight? Look I'll say eight, I'll say eight, but I live.
Speaker 15: It's just given all the controversy the past twenty four hours andislator's apology, it just shapes up perfectly for one.
Speaker 2: Of those morons ambushes, doesn't doesn't really does Yeah anyway, Clinton Maynard Sydney now coming up very very soon. Thanks mate for dropping in. And hey, Scott, Scott has done it two and a half thousand dollars. I'm ecstatic. It's twenty seven to three and good afternoon, Air and Mark, Good afternoon, Bill.
Speaker 12: The Prime Minister believes a security and defense partnership being discussed with Europe will strengthen Australia's ties with the Continent. Firefighter say a unit was filled with black smoke from sealing to the floor as they battled an intense blaze at Cromaorn. A woman was killed in the fire. Iranians are being asked to delete WhatsApp from their phones. It's claimed it's being used to gather information to send to Israel. Meta denies that, and rates of family violence increased by about forty percent around state of origin time. Footy fans are being urged to look out for their mates and be mindful of how they'll handle the emotion of tonight's game. In Sport, the cowbell is causing a ruckus head of the Super Rugby Pacific Final between the Crusaders and Chiefs in Christchurch. Chiefs fans want to bring the noisy instruments into the stadium, but the home team says they will melt them down at the gate. There'll be more news at three o'clock on afternoons.
Speaker 1: A finance update for Pretzel Wealth and finance for Trusted Financial Planning just Google Blake went to Pretzel Well.
Speaker 2: Scott from Como is feeling pretty good about the finance at the moment. We're having won two and a half thousand dollars on our winter wheel. But Scott Phillips from the mightleyfool fool dot com dot au Telco Giant Optus Scotty facing a massive one hundred million dollar fine. What's all that about?
Speaker 3: Well, good afternoon, mate, that's one two and a half groad. I thought I was in for.
Speaker 2: A secondary wrong, Scott.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Fortunately, one hundred millions three a lot of money. Hundred million dollars is to fine for. I'm just engaging in what they're calling unconsctionable conduct. Now Telco and the atribill See have agreed on this penalty. Basically they opted salespeople sold mobile phones and mobile phone plans to people who simply wasn't suitable for a lot of people in First Nations and Indigenous communities as well, basically saying, you know, you dragging people into the sourcing you need this thing, to people who couldn't afford them, even people whose home address didn't have Optus reception. And I were still selling these things more than four hundred customers at sixteen different stores across the country in the four years from August twenty nineteen and July twenty twenty three when their sword come out to look, they're really sorry that said's inexcusable and unacceptable. It absolutely is. Yea one hundred miniy dollars likely with the penalty. Now the federal court decides in the actual penalty. Regulator and the telco both say have we think a hundred million is reasonable, so probably we'll get we waved through. But yeah, a reminder of what can happen sometimes and how a little overzealous or a lot overzealz some salespeople can be. In this case, Optics has had to pay up.
Speaker 2: It's a big slab of money, even for a big company like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got to say some of the penalties recently for other things one hundred dollars should have hopefully focus some minds, not only Optice, but other places around the country might be otherwise tend to engage in this sort of stuff. If it ends up with, you know, focusing some minds, that'd be a wonderful thing. I think corpor Australia.
Speaker 2: Very good point, very good point. What's happening on the local markets, mate and the dollar.
Speaker 3: And rough down on the market. Unfortunately we had a rough morning. We got back into positive territory after lunch. We've just sunk back under that even mark. We're down a tenth of a percent eighty seven hundred and sixty three points for the all ordinaries as we speak. The Ausy dollar, meanwhile, has had to do a buppy couple of days. It was up and down, it's down again now back under sixty five cents, off by six tenths to eight percent to sixty four point nine to five US.
Speaker 2: That's Scott Phillips from fool dot com dot you, thank you so much, pleasure.
Speaker 3: Thanks Bill.
Speaker 2: It's twenty four to three coming up. We'll have track of the day. By the way, so I've you missed out on the two and a half grand wind fall that Scott won from Como in Sydney in the winter wheel. You've got track of the day coming up. One hundred and fifty dollars be store voucher. If you can manage to win that one, not too difficult. I'll give you the tip first caller in. That's coming up a little later on, but we'll talk after the break about the old Harbor bridge. The coat hanger looking a bit rusty, Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm sure they'll fix it up pretty soon, but I thought it might be an idea to catch up with an expert who's involved in all this as to how they do it and how difficult it is these days nineteen to three. And Sydney, of course has so many wonderful landmarks. The world knows us Four Opera House, Darling Harbor, Bondi Royal Botanical Gardens. But then there's the coat hanger. When you see it in real life, it's not hard to marvel at what an engineering feet it is, all those rivets, and they're big too. And I was sitting in traffic today in the morning, having been called in to help out and fill in for Michael today, and I had to look up and I saw a few rust patches on the old bridge. It's a bit like looking at your own home. You feel very possessive of the Harbor Bridge. I felt like jumping out with a bit of steel wool and stripping it back and putting a coat of paint on it. But I thought, well, there's someone else's probably paid to do that, and I don't want to take their job. Four hundred and eighty five thousand square meters of steel work though. That's another thing that might put off the average home handy person at sixty football fields by the way of metal, exposed metal. And it's pretty complicated too, As my old man would say, if we're doing a building job or laying carpet together, that's a bugger of a job anyway. Matthew Wilson's executive director of Road Maintenance Partnerships to Transport for New South Wales. He's on the line. Thanks for joining us, Matthew.
Speaker 16: Good Abelle, how are you well?
Speaker 2: Thank you? Nineteen thirty two. That's how on the bridge has been up for. But of course a lot of that longevity is due to the maintenance of the steel structure. I guess it was always a very important part of the planning and maintenance of this incredible construction.
Speaker 16: It absolutely was. And the better you maintain something, the longer it lasts. As you say, it's so different to your house. You look after it, it'll last you a long time. But coming up to that one hundred year anniversary now, but we're aiming for another hundred years post that as well.
Speaker 2: What was involved in the early days of keeping it maintained. I think we're all familiar with the fact that people for many years have been rostered on and shifted to get on there, strip back the metal and treat it and paint it. But how often has that taken place and how has that process evolved over the years as technology changes.
Speaker 16: The biggest changes really are in the safety aspects of how we do it. The general methodology of how we paint the bridge hasn't hugely changed, you know, removing some of the old paint. Now we've felt much more modern equipment that helps us to get the paint off a little bit quicker, so that we can get the painting done a bit quicker. But the principle of how we apply the paint hasn't really changed. The safety elements that go with it have hugely changed over the years. We will have all seen the pictures of Crocodile Dundee on top of the bridge with his paint brush and bucket and just stood on the top with those safety rails, safety harnesses, nothing, just walking around painting. We definitely don't do that anymore. As you say, you've seen the scaffolding that we've got up at the moment. We provide a safe work space for our guys and they love those workplaces too. You know, imagine the view every time you come out of your workplace is from the top of the Harbor Bridge. What better office could you have?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm marvel. I'm sure anyone does when they see large scale road building projects as we see around Sydney at the moment. You've got that big overpass on the seven that's been slightly put together like a big lego construction. You've got what's happening north of the bridge at the moment. That's incredible. Managing all of that, but even managing your scaffolding, as you say, on the Harbor Bridge, getting that up into place. How you do it? When you do it, it would take a lot of organization, I'd imagine.
Speaker 16: Well, in total, you know, to maintain the bridge, we've got one hundred and twenty full time people, from engineers who plan and design the scaffold through to the guys that are painting and doing the electrical work and things. So you know, it's a big team unit that it has to maintain the bridge. It's incredibly complex. We try and minimize the impact we have on the traffic on the bridge underneath. Obviously we can't lift scaffolding up whilst traffic is moving underneath. But we try and minimize the number of lane closures we need. We build the scaffolding overnight so that it impacts fewer people. So we're generally trying to do as much maintenance as possible whilst causing as little disruption to people as we can.
Speaker 2: Is it still true the old story that one you've completed one length of the bridge in terms of maintenance, you have to go back and start again.
Speaker 16: The principle is kind of true, but we don't literally start at one end and work to the other. Now we focus on the areas that need that the most. But it is, you know, there's never a point where we can stop painting, because by the time you've done the last bit that needs it, you've backed the bit that you did thirty years ago that now needs it again. So there's the cycle does just continue. We just don't do it in that linear fashion. And the arch is where we're focusing a lot of our efforts now as we come up to that one hundred year anniversary. So out of about nearly half million square meters, we've got one hundred and fifty thousand square meters of the arch we need to paint before the centenary in twenty thirty two, and that's the bit we'll focus. That's why you're seeing the scaffolding now because that arch hasn't really had any painting done on it since the nineteen nineties, so it's well overdue and painting and we're really looking forward to giving her a new lease of life as we paint that arch.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've all stripped back, or most of us anyway, who like that sort of thing, stripped back metal furniture and things like that. But I guess there's got to be some improved tools and technology to make that a bit quicker than just doing it by hand. And do you use brush or roller?
Speaker 16: So for the removing the paint, we tend to use garmt blasting, so that's the majority of how we remove paint. We do also literally have hand tools, though for some of the more intricate areas where we need to remove it. Yeah, reapplying the paint, it is literally paint brushes, paint rollers, and spray guns. So depending on the air area that we use, it's either paint brush and roller or like when guys paint their cars, it's kind of a spray gun that puts that on that Every square meter needs four coats of paint to it as well, And.
Speaker 2: I guess you have to make sure that you treat the rust while it's surface rust, and of course doesn't get more corrosive and therefore weakening any of the parts.
Speaker 16: Exactly, we never let anything get beyond surface rust, so as soon as we know, that's why we prioritize on the areas that need it most. Once we've got that surface for us, we need to treat that. So we get it treated, get it all painted, and she looks shiny and new.
Speaker 2: Again, notwithstanding the scaffolding. Matthew, you're still working pretty high up. I guess it takes a certain kind of person to get into that sort of job.
Speaker 16: You need a head for heights, that's for sure. You know it's about one hundred and thirty two meters at the highest point, but you know when you asked at the top. Even looking down on the road deck, you really get a sense of how high it is. And it feels like a lot more than one hundred meters when you're looking down.
Speaker 2: But it's a nice view.
Speaker 16: Oh, it's best office sensed me.
Speaker 2: I have done the bridge climb a long time ago, and it is quite amazing how high it is. And of course that's all done very safely and conveniently. It's it's a terrific experience. I recommend it to anyone, but I suppose if you're working up there it would be a bit of a distraction. Sometimes you might have to do you put them on a time, a strict schedule, so they don't sort of hang around and just enjoy the view.
Speaker 16: We have guys who have been working there for decades and they have still never got bored of a view that they get from their work site. And the other positive is, you know everyone gets their steps.
Speaker 6: In every day.
Speaker 16: When you work on the Harbor Bridge. There's a lot of steps to walk up.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's true. Hey, no one ever back in the old days. I heard rumors and I only moved to Sydney when I was in the twenties. So apparently UNI students and furious other people used to sneakily climb the bridge in the old days. That can't happen these days, Kenneth, it's all very more secure.
Speaker 16: It's a lot more secure these days. We have a lot of cameras on the bridge obviously, you know there's a lot of risk in just randomly climbing a bridge or any other structure. So yeah, we watch very closely for those kind of events and deal with them as of when they happen, but it is very very infrequent these days.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure you guys will keep doing a great job in making the Code Hangar look as good as she possibly could be, particularly as you say, for that one hundredth anniversary, Matthew Wilson, thank you very much for sharing that with us. We know she's in safe hands. Thanks very much, Bill, Matthew Wilson, Executive Director of Road Maintenance Partnerships at Transport for New South Wales. We're going to give away a little more money actually, well it's a voucher anyway for the Track of the Day coming up eight minutes to three now on afternoons on the Track of the Day. On that subject, the Doobies have gone back together with Michael McDonald and put our an album. Just saying that was a listening to the music, of course from the Doobie Brothers Track of the Day. I'm about to play you a song, then I'll ask a question about that song or why I chose that song today? If you get it right today, we've got the one hundred and fifty dollars B Store voucher. That's pretty cool. So here is today's track of the day. Ah, Frankie, that's soothing, isn't it? On a Wednesday afternoon. We've got a question here. I knew he gave away the answer in nine at eighty three, doctor Sally Ryde was the first American woman in space. Right, But on this day in nineteen twenty eight, another American became the first woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean. Who was that track of the day for the one hundred and fifty dollars voucher from B Store? I'll ask it again, Sally, right on this day in eighty three, was the first American woman in space. But on this day in nineteen twenty eight, another American woman became the first to fly across the Atlantic Ocean. Who was that? One?
Speaker 3: Three?
Speaker 2: One, eight seven three. Let's see a little bit more of Frankie thinking music. Okay, here's the question. On this day in nineteen twenty eight, an American woman became the first to fly across the Atlantic Ocean. Who was it? I think We've got Daniel on the line from EMU Heights. Daniel, who was.
Speaker 5: It is the song com flo with Me?
Speaker 2: No, that was our guide track. It's about flying, but it's the first woman in nineteen twenty eight to fly across the first American woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean. No idea, I think he's gone. Who've we got next, Emily, Emily, have you figured it out? In nineteen twenty eight?
Speaker 9: I think I think she's got a wonderful name.
Speaker 7: It's Amelia Earhart.
Speaker 2: It is Amelia Earhart. Well done, the US aviator first woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean in nineteen twenty eight. Well done. You've won the one hundred and fifty dollars voucher from B Store Shoes. You'll love Comfort, You'll live in. B Store brings your Birkenstock, Bluntstone, fit Flop, MBT, Frankie four and more. Visit them at Macquarie Center or Westfield. Miranda Style starts here. Well done, Thank you, Emily, we got it in too. That's pretty good, pretty pretty good, as Larry David would say, Stay on the line, Emily, thank you. We'll get that b Stoore voucher to you and I'll be right back. Roger on the text line reckons Blues by nine. It's not rugby union. Why would they be up by eight and kick a field goal? He says, there you go. That was Chuck's tip. That's all I'm saying. But anyway, have a great State of Origin night. Of course, continuous call team. We'll bring you that a little later on, but stand by right after the news for the wonderful Clinton Maynard bringing you Sydney. Now, we'll be back tomorrow. Bye for now.