Speaker 1: Hello world, and a song that was singing, come on, get happy.
Speaker 2: A whole lot of love, and it's what we'll be bringing.
Speaker 1: We make you happy.
Speaker 3: We are the three we don't traveling to yellow, mus metal and love and then we'll keep moving.
Speaker 2: On something it always happens where they are.
Speaker 4: We win together and we get a happy feeling when.
Speaker 1: We're singing a song traveling along.
Speaker 5: There's a song that.
Speaker 1: Was singing, come on, get happy, a whole lot of love, and it's what we'll be bringing. We'll make you happy, We'll make you happy, We'll make you happy.
Speaker 6: Well, like I did warn you that this might happen, Tony mcmanuses off for another morning, and rightly so, like who calls in sick on a Thursday morning and then madly comes back to work on a Friday when you can have a long weekend to recover. So Tony's Tony's absolutely fine. Please don't panic. Anybody is just you know, we all get those little head golds and things occasionally, and these hours are shock at hours, let's be honest. So Tony's having a well deserved little break. So you've got me in the chair this morning again, Simon Owens, I was here yesterday. For those who weren't listening. If you didn't, well that's on you. That's your fault entirely. But I'm looking forward to being here for the next five and a half hours. Hello, are people listening through six PR? It's great to have you here at ten o'clock at night. The sun's just sent a few hours ago, no doubt it's warmer than where we are here in the east of the country. But I love an adore six PR and I love an adore Perth. I've only been there once. I've got a mate who lives over there, and I just it was I always say, I'll describe it as like a clean version of Melbourne and Adelaide. Hello to you. Good to be back in your neck of the woods as well for another five and a half hours. Good to be with your Jackson's with me this morning, morning, Jackson Simon, how's day been?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Pretty good, pretty good, cruisy day. Yeah around the house. Yeah, just just enjoying not for tonight.
Speaker 6: It's a bit. It's a bit sad, isn't it. People imagine that we leave that radio. People lead really glamorous lives and invariably what did you do today? Oh yeah, I went to the shops.
Speaker 7: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 6: Yeah, need needed some salary. Yeah, we don't lead that exciting a lot, not that riveting. Well, somebody who's probably had a more exciting day than us is Caroly Kats and Barnes. And if you're watching the web feed, you've just got a great shot at the back of Caroly's.
Speaker 8: Head from a beanie off the three aw Beanie Now hat hair?
Speaker 6: Well the camera where is that camera?
Speaker 9: We don't want to know where the camera is?
Speaker 6: Look at this, here's you. I think that's that's my camera there that's doing that. I don't know.
Speaker 9: Why, never mind?
Speaker 6: How are you?
Speaker 9: I am fine?
Speaker 8: You make me laugh because when you said five and a half hours, First of all, your theme song, love it and get well wishes to the wonderful tournament manners. Sorry to hear that he's not well. But when you mentioned five and a half hours, I thought, well, one of the things I want to talk about tonight is I was on hold to Services Australia for five and a half hours.
Speaker 6: On Tuesday, five and a half hours.
Speaker 9: To three different departments.
Speaker 6: So what time did you place the eleven o'clock eleven o'clock and.
Speaker 8: I got off the phone at four twenty nine because they ended thirty.
Speaker 9: But look, let me let me just explain to the listeners because it's a serious as well.
Speaker 8: So for a lot of our listeners you might have something to do with Services Australia. We know that it combines everything together, Ato, medicare all those things as well, and it's your digital id online. And what happened was about a week ago. People might if if they read there was an article that somebody had had a tax refund that had been taken. They had two factor authentication. And of course, I think because it was all in the Australian newspaper and things that was things were sent out, everyone's.
Speaker 9: Got to beef up your security.
Speaker 8: So I got a little notice which was all official, you need to do this, that and what have you and instead of your username or whatever, have you considered.
Speaker 9: A past key. So I thought that's okay, that sounds good. Past key. I've done news stories on them before. That's the way the utu I whack in a passkey?
Speaker 10: Did it?
Speaker 11: Did it?
Speaker 8: Then a week later I thought I'd just go in and just check something because you get a little you know, notification in your normal email, go check in the mic of inbox. I got to put in the passkey, and of course it says, you know, got to open your Google password manager and an Android device or this or that, and I've got this past key and the passkey is not working, thinking what.
Speaker 9: This is not? So I do a lot of shifts here, as you know.
Speaker 8: So I came in spread some of the young ones in it, and one of them said that happened to me, and I went and and they said, you're going to need to ring up Services Australia and be warned. They will cancel you and they will issue you a new mic of ID.
Speaker 6: Are you cute?
Speaker 9: You know this is a young one saying.
Speaker 8: And they said, and I'm thinking, well, these savvy tech people here at three I w so I said okay, and they said you'll need to set aside some time.
Speaker 9: So I thought, well that's okay. You know, we know we have to wait on hold.
Speaker 8: I'm thinking maybe allowed an hour or whatever day off one Tuesday, and so I rang and sure enough the lady said, yes, we've had lots of people ring about this pass key. She said, do you realize you didn't have to do it? And I said well, no what I read, because I'm firm, but I'm very polite. I spend half the day on the phone getting interviews. And I said, it does say to beef up security because of identity theft and things.
Speaker 9: You do need it.
Speaker 8: And she said yes, but when you use the Google plate, when you use the past key, you need all the devices hooked up. And she said, we're getting this an awful lot. And she said, unfortunately, I'm going to have to completely cancel you and then issue again again, start again. Well I said, okay, that's fine. I'm not an idiot when it comes to technology.
Speaker 9: Do I lock technology? Not really, but I'm functional with it. And there we go. So anyway, so she deletes and she starts again. So that took me to about midday.
Speaker 8: And let's just say it was two hours and a quarter on the phone trying to link to the taxation thing, and then onto the medicare that wasn't recognizing whatever, and then onto the other.
Speaker 9: Another thing is.
Speaker 8: I'm sitting there and when I said I'm not keen on technology, I'm not. But I do have the ability with my phone to put it on speaker and go and do some other errands.
Speaker 6: So I did, you can multitier.
Speaker 9: I can multitier right, because you don't want to lose your thing?
Speaker 12: On?
Speaker 9: Hold, did a load of washing? Did a basket of ironing? Made the bed? Did this? Did that?
Speaker 8: Reading the newspapers online, which is what I always do, et cetera, reading and doing it on I'm just thinking to myself, how on earth do people would people that were older, how would you cope with it? Because along all the way and there are these lovely young people that end up answering the phone and as soon as one answered, I've said, if I get cut off, please bring me back. Oh, yes, yes, yes we will.
Speaker 9: Now the moral of the story.
Speaker 8: Is I have a lot of patience because it's no point yelling and screaming at people.
Speaker 9: I have patients.
Speaker 8: I'm a goal oriented person. My goal at the end is to get the new idea, get it.
Speaker 9: All hooked up.
Speaker 6: Yep. And they're working with you, and they're working within the system.
Speaker 9: No, but they're not working they're not working off a script.
Speaker 8: But they did say, we are getting so many of these and we understand why it is.
Speaker 9: But you apparently are the passkey. I still don't understand.
Speaker 8: You apparently need a pasky, but if you're not using paskis anywhere, you don't actually need it. So you know, five and a half hours later, everything is all done. But I just thought to myself, no wonder people get Well, you know, what's the word the verb is whelmed.
Speaker 9: I don't quite know what whelmed is.
Speaker 8: But I wasn't underwhelmed, but I wasn't a bit overwhelmed as well. And I'm just thinking, people try and help, but g whiz. And you know, I ended up with a tax office and I said to the fellow, you know, it's only the law abiding people that actually ring you, isn't it.
Speaker 9: And it went oh, And I said, well, you know, it just takes so long.
Speaker 8: And I just I deal with a lot of older people in my life as well, and I thought, this is a very difficult situation because through really no fould of my own, because I knew what my passkey was, it just wasn't recognizing it. I've had to start all over again. And as you and I would know that to set up something that you perhaps set up twenty odd years ago, to rego and relink things and the stuff that you're asked. It's good that their security but I just wondered, as anybody else had that happened to them recently in the last couple of weeks with this pasky that you've got to put into Services Australia. If you're thinking of doing it, do not let me save you five and a half hours of your life in doing it.
Speaker 9: I just thought, Gee, it's frustrating.
Speaker 6: Did you are you caught up also in a couple of years ago.
Speaker 8: No, I'm not, but I do feel for the people as part of the network that unfortunately can't So for everybody that knows there was a hack into the nine network Australia and there are certain people that are affected. You only get one taxation number for life. Yes, they can't do it. And these people in our organization that are affected. For them to get into their you know, ATO portal, you get a thirty minute window.
Speaker 9: And it's very very difficult.
Speaker 8: And whether you've got an accountant or you're doing it yourself, it's a nightmare.
Speaker 6: So yeah, So for those who don't know you're one of those where nine copped the cybersecurity attack, people's tax file numbers were leaked or whatever. I don't know what information they got, but yeah, there has been a block put on my tax file number. So anytime I ever need to do anything tax related, it involves a call to the tax office, which you just don't want to have to do. You don't want to have to ring them and be on hold all that time.
Speaker 7: You don't.
Speaker 8: But this was the funniest thing is within that window of one of our holds on. I actually went and picked up the kids from school. I had the phone on speaker in the car naturally hands free, because I thought, and it did say your wait time is thirty eight minutes, but up and back to the school for court to do this is right sent to the kids when you get in the car and do this.
Speaker 9: And it got home. But I just thought, it's just one of those things that you just it's frustrating.
Speaker 6: Yeah, one double three six nine three one double three eight eighty two.
Speaker 9: I've got a calling to you.
Speaker 6: We'd love it, We'd love your calls. It is seventeen after midnight, which is seventeen after ten in Perth and in Adelaide it's thirteen to midnight quick break. We'll come back with more of caroly Kats and Barnas and your calls. Caraly Kats and Barnas is here in the studio and we take your calls one double three eight eighty two or one double three six nine three text us as well. I haven't given that number out yet. Zero four double seven six nine three six ninety three, Curently. Carl rung in off here and said, Carly is dead right. It is way too hard to get through to the government. It also took Carl five hours on the phone to get on to send a link. Too hard for older people to.
Speaker 9: Get help, Thank you, Carl. That is the point.
Speaker 8: So look, in a long winded way, I should have said in the beginning, these people have a very difficult job to do. But as I said, one has to be focused on the objective and things. I'm not someone that loses my temper on the phone or anything like that, but it is very difficult, and I actually thought, I'm I'm up with it as much as I possibly can be. But for older people to get help, because it's very difficult. But as I said, five and a half hours, I'm just lucky that I did it on a day off. Yeah, but you just think how to other no wonder people just give up. But unfortunately, when you get a new mic of ID or new servant, whatever it might be.
Speaker 9: You can't.
Speaker 8: Don't give up because, as the lady said, you've got to reload all your information as well.
Speaker 9: But yeah, a little bit difficult.
Speaker 8: So if there's anybody out there that's had similar let us know. I mean, hats off. I got my I got my thing all solved and done. But again, you need a window of time. And if you're a mum with very young kids and things, or you've got caring duties that are on how on earth do you get it done?
Speaker 6: Well, my accountant who does my tax return, because of the lock on the tax file number, he can't just log in at any time and do my tax return. He needs to ring me and say I'm going to do your tax return now. Can you ring the government now? And if I'm out and about doing something, then I've got to stop what I'm doing to ring.
Speaker 9: But even you have what a fifteen to twenty minute wait to get through the normal number.
Speaker 8: I know, and I don't know what the answer is. I mean, it was funny with one of the young people on the phone that was helping. I said, you know, another twenty or thirty years your job will be defunct because all of you people will be all of our ages and you'll know what to do. But it is you want to speak to someone to help, but it just takes time. The other thing is I've come to the conclusion that perhaps people of you're my generation, while we're patient, we don't want to wait, whereas the young ones they must be just happy to wait and they just continue doing what they're doing.
Speaker 6: Because I look at it, scroll through Instagram.
Speaker 9: Video, you know this is what I'm doing now exactly.
Speaker 6: Helen's called in from South Melbourne. Morning.
Speaker 13: Helen, Hi, Simon, Hello, Curly, Hello Helen, Arlie. I find who's such an antidepressant?
Speaker 9: Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: She's always she sounds so cheerful.
Speaker 7: Doesn't she have to be?
Speaker 9: You have to be, Helen.
Speaker 13: I think we share some sociological and moral philosophies. Oh anyway, I find look as an we'll not older old person with no family and very participation in the technological world because I can't afford it and be I would never understand it. But I'm outraged at the sheer lack of efficiency and systems and caring of the modern world. Ye for example, I don't even know what My goalt is.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and that's a common thing. So Helen, what I'll say to you is been from good experience. My mum's ninety and my mother in law is eighty six, and they've both got some health issues, etc. It's very very difficult for older people of the generation, say in seventies and eighties. Not everybody, but let's just say that if you're not up with some of the technology or everything online, it's very difficult. And so I do a lot of their stuff. But of course there are different rules for that as well, because you've got to have privacy in this and that I understand exactly what Helen is saying. And Helen, we love it when you ring here because it's our listeners that help make this station in twenty four to seven, So thank you for listening, and thank you for ringing as well. Look with my gov, what it is is they try and push everything online. Now everything is online, so if you go to the.
Speaker 6: Doctor, when it works, it is.
Speaker 8: Really and it is really good, and it's sort of think of it as a big folder that you can link up with.
Speaker 9: Whatever it is.
Speaker 13: How can it exist? And the government has never told me about it? Like a couple of months ago, I had an email saying, presumably from my GOV. Saying that there was a problem and I suspected it with spam and it involved my bank. That's right. It knew what bank I was with. So to notify the bank and to try and notify my GOV and say I don't know what this is all about, and I don't know what my gove is. That took days. I had something like thirty calls back from the bank, but I didn't know what was the bank because they used a bot which wouldn't leave a message on maranting machine. And I felt as sailed, frightened and alienated from society.
Speaker 8: Look, Helen, I honestly I hear what you're saying, because there are so many levels of security as well, and you know there are lots of warnings about scams and things like that as well. The only thing is and look on I must say there are a lot of government departments now that do and I can say this because with mom and mother in law, there are a lot of government departments out that just say, or if there's somebody in your family that knows about.
Speaker 9: Computers, just ask them.
Speaker 8: It is very, very difficult and as we know there are a lot of spam emails around, Helen. I know that you said that you're on your own. You didn't didn't have family or anything. If you've got some friends and perhaps they've got children in their you know, late teens, early twenties or thirties, maybe they can help.
Speaker 9: But there are.
Speaker 13: Almost everybody I know has died or moved in the last four years. So I think it'd be really a good idea if horrible counsels actually had an offer specializing in I'll.
Speaker 8: Tell you what he and I'll tell you where they are. We won't say on air the subburb that you're in, but in local government areas they do run computer courses online for people that have no expertise and no knowledge and they haven't used computers or anything at all. I know that in the area that we are they often run them every couple of months, just for people to do. Now that is scary, of course for people that have never done it, but.
Speaker 11: What you will.
Speaker 13: I can do all that, and I know they do that, but just to help you out when you have you know, as I said, I hear the term my gov being floated around, and I think, well, I guess I've been on the pension for some years. I guess if it was something I should know about, they would have told.
Speaker 6: Me, well, you won't have my GOV account. We must move on.
Speaker 14: Helen.
Speaker 6: Thank you for the call, but if you haven't set up on my GOV account, effectively you don't have one. I would say anytime, anytime that the bank rings you, it's not the bank ringing you.
Speaker 15: It's a scam.
Speaker 6: Banks just don't be a scam.
Speaker 9: It would be a scam.
Speaker 6: So anytime the bank calls you, or the government calls you, hang up. Don't even bother talking to you. Hang up, look up the number for the bank or the government department that supposedly called you, and call them back, because then you know you're talking to the real people. Definitely, That's that's the one bit of advice I argue there.
Speaker 9: It is you should be able to walk.
Speaker 6: You should be able to walk into your local council offices and say, hey, I need help with something, I pay my rates, help me, and I reckon they should, Oh, there's probably some sort of service that they may offer that we don't know.
Speaker 9: I mean, look that counsels do a lot of good things as well.
Speaker 8: They always got a bad knock because they seemingly waste money quite often in projects that don't often need doing, such as sitting.
Speaker 6: Amongst all that infrastructure, there probably are things.
Speaker 9: And that they probably as well.
Speaker 8: I know, I I do understand where Helen is coming from as well, and it is scary, but eats one of those things that are at some point they are going to force everybody online because.
Speaker 9: That's the way that it's going unfortunately.
Speaker 6: Yes, all right, thanks Helen, good luck with that. Greg's in Sheltenham.
Speaker 16: I Greg, oh Simon. We haven't spoken for so long, and you take me on, Greg Cheltenham. No frills, no baggage, no nothing. You listen to what I say. I've only got two points. Yes, I love you both.
Speaker 9: Oh, thank you, Greg.
Speaker 16: Simon. If you'd like to hear something really hilarious and explanatory at the same time, go back to the old Monty Python. The worm has turned and that will explain everything.
Speaker 6: Oh I don't think I know that sketch. I don't think I'm a bit of a Monty Python Aiernardo over my journey, but I don't think I know that one. So I am writing that down now. The worm has turned all right, I will check it out.
Speaker 16: And by the ways to their Simon, Yeah, by g your Essen and boys gave it a red hot go to night mate.
Speaker 6: Did they did Endon play today? Did they? How did we?
Speaker 16: Did we win? No? But oh boy, character there are good.
Speaker 6: I have faith in the old Dons. Embarrassing. I didn't know they played though.
Speaker 16: That's the talk against Simon.
Speaker 6: Greg.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 8: Greg also reminded of people Citizens Advice Bureau. That's also very good, is it? Yes, it is, and they're still around. So Citizens Advice Bureau will be able to.
Speaker 6: Help the Citizens Advice Bureau. Yes, okay, I've not heard of them.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they can give free legal advice as well for a certain period of time and they will actually help you with issues that you might have.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, well that's a good one.
Speaker 9: That's all right?
Speaker 6: Is that in like? Is that national? Is that all states?
Speaker 9: All states?
Speaker 8: I'm still a little bit of Google in the breaking and get the ones for here as well.
Speaker 2: But it is good.
Speaker 6: Margaret is in Perth time, Margaret.
Speaker 17: Post time, and I have not spoken with you, and I don't know you particularly if you.
Speaker 18: Know what I mean.
Speaker 6: No, that's that's fair enough. Yes, I'm infrequently on, so it's it's a rare occasion. So you and I are both no worries.
Speaker 17: And I know, Caroline, I am seventy four years old and I have had no problems at all with Centerally Medicare. I'm trying to think of all my gap. I have recently been in emergency at r pH and I wanted to look at my record health record, you know what I mean like that, because I wanted to know what the report of my ex trays were. And I just said, everything was fantastic.
Speaker 8: Oh, yes, great, No, that's wonderful, Margaret, And there you go. Margaret seventy four, she's an advocate as well. Well, once you get the system, it's great. It works, and that's wonderful.
Speaker 17: It was fantastic. It is no problems whatsoever.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 6: That's a that's a good review, Margaret. They'll be happy with that.
Speaker 8: I basically locked myself out by having invented a pass key and using it, but it wasn't recognizing what I was doing because I needed another bit that I didn't have on the phone.
Speaker 9: So there we go. Such to be canceled and reborn.
Speaker 17: Absolutely fantastic.
Speaker 6: Well, good on your Margaret, thank you for that. Hopefully that gives other people inspiration to at least look into it if they haven't done so already. Appreciate the call Margaret, lovely to chat to you for the first time. Hope we get to do it again.
Speaker 19: When you're right.
Speaker 17: When I hear i'll probably ring beautiful.
Speaker 6: I look forward to next time we meet. Thanks Margaret. We'll knock off another break here and back to your call. So one double three eighty two and one double three six nine three, keep them coming. Gabe from the newsroom has just dropped off a breaking story, as it were for Melbournians. If you're listening in South Australia or Western Australia, this won't be for you, but we need people out there in Victoria to be looking. At the moment. Police are currently searching for an appealing for public assistance to help locate a missing girl who goes by the name of Ivy. She's only eleven, an eleven year old girl last seen in Cranbourn North yesterday afternoon. That's Melbourne time, eight twenty am, so she's been missing for a good eighteen hours. Both police and Ivy's family have serious concerns for her welfare due to her age and disappearance being out of character. She doesn't have access to a mobile phone. She's of Asian appearance, one hundred and sixty centimeters tall, with the medium build and dark chest length air and light blue glasses. She was last seen wearing a Navy school uniform carrying a backpack. An image of Ivy has been released in the hope that it will help those assisting in locating her, and she's been known to frequent the Cranbin North area. So if you see Ivy and look, Let's be honest, if you're out and about and you see an eleven year old Asian school girl walking around, it's going to be her. So this is a thing I always say. Generally people will be attracted to light at this time of night, it's cold outside. If you happen to be near a McDonald's store that's a twenty four hour thing or a seven eleven a service station, just drive through, have a look, see if you can see it.
Speaker 9: And her image is on the Victoria Police website.
Speaker 6: Yes Pole Vic yeap Vic Pole the website, there's a picture of her there. But if you're out and about, especially in the Cranburn area. We need your help. We want to we want to be able to let the family sleep peacefully tonight. One's there. We united with her, so if you're in that area, please look out for her and her name is Ivy. Keep an eye out please. Now you've got information currently.
Speaker 9: What was that?
Speaker 8: Oh yes, I was going to say so I mentioned Citizens Advice Bureau before a little bit, slipping back into into wa.
Speaker 9: So Western Australians knows Citizens Advice Bureau in Victoria. It is the Community.
Speaker 8: Information and Support Victoria cis VIC and it's the peak body representing local community information and support services. And you know it can help you with with lots of different things as well, So you know.
Speaker 9: Things like that.
Speaker 8: I mean, we I feel for anyone who's older that doesn't have a grasp of technology because it moves very very fast.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but I also know.
Speaker 8: The other side of having got two people that have no idea of the technology and one is trying to do it for them.
Speaker 9: All the time, you can see.
Speaker 8: Them being more and more marginalized. And you know the world isn't catered to that anymore. So it's a matter of trying to keep up and do it as well, and we hear every second day about scams and not doing this and not doing that, and yeah, it's just one of those things that happens, and.
Speaker 6: There will be people listening who go, oh, I don't want to look stupid to I don't want to reach out. I feel like an idiot. I'm fifty three. I've always been very good with technology and stuff. My kids run rings around, of course, so I'm at an age in my fifties where I'm pretty good with most things. But there is stuff that my kids know that I will never know.
Speaker 9: Because you've had to breach. You've had to bridge.
Speaker 8: You've known the world pre computers and pre iPhones, because don't forget the iPhone's only been around sixteen years and the mobile has been around just over twenty two years. I think it is you've had to bridge. You've gone from that world to this world where we've got a couple of generations now that that's all they've known. That's all they've known is the technology. And the thing is it is important. It's always a constant battle, as appearance, between managing the screen time and the technology, but realizing we don't people don't want to get left behind as well, because it is a scary thing. And as I said, hats off to everybody at all the government departments I spoke to.
Speaker 9: I got my thing done. It's more the waiting time and just the having to do it and having.
Speaker 8: To reprove yourself from Relink. And then there was an error on the system as well that sort of got overridden as well. And you can always be funny on the phone, like I said, Look, you know, I'm not a complete clutch of technology, however, and then they'll ask you other questions and they gave a link in code on a couple of things. It's just two hours and fifteen minutes on hold to the ATO at the end to the follow it's only Laura binding people that are bringing.
Speaker 9: You please help and they did.
Speaker 6: Yeah, lovely. So CISVIC dot org dot au if you Victoria CABWA dot com do autea in South Austraia, South Australia. I've just googled Citizens Advice b your South Australia and it came up. In South Australia, free legal advice and assistants are primarily provided by the Legal Services Commission of South Australia. So that covers everyone, I think, and if you're in Sydney or Brisbane listening over the web, sorry, look it up yourself. We'll be busy. We've got too much on, no disrespect. If we if we were national there through the we'd given to you those as well. Sean has called from Tazzy.
Speaker 12: Hi, Sean Olright, so it's been a while since I've talked to you and Caroline.
Speaker 9: Hello, Hello Sean.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'll be back calling again quite often soon. I'm just having a few technical differties at the moment. But anyway, yeah, I was when you when you I have diffldy with government places and that sometimes do like I need to get some help from this place, and I need to prove that I've got a mental illness and to prove I've been diagnosed with a mental earners, I've got to get all letter and it's going to cost me ninety dollars to get the letter.
Speaker 6: Would who do you have to get that letter from? I would have thought a doctor would provide that letter for nothing, that's.
Speaker 12: Right, No, but Tasman, now there's not many medicare doctors what.
Speaker 6: You mean, So you've got to pay for an appointment to go to the doctor to get them to do the letter. Yeah, that's annoying.
Speaker 12: Don't you think a letter like that? You could just say can you write me a letter? And they write it out, there's twenty bucks.
Speaker 6: Thank so you later, I would have thought that should be the way things goes.
Speaker 9: Common sense doesn't. It doesn't apply.
Speaker 6: It doesn't always work the way it should. But yeah, we agree with you Short, that should be the way it is.
Speaker 12: And when you're working with tax departments and other places, sometimes auto voiceover things you get when when your first ring said the lincolor somewhere and they go do this and do that, and then they explain all the rules and every time you're ringing out to go through the same thing over and over and drives your batty.
Speaker 9: I know, I must have met.
Speaker 8: I would have loved Simon's theme song to beat Beyond whole Thing, because I think it would put everybody in.
Speaker 19: A good movie.
Speaker 6: But if you heard that on rotation for.
Speaker 9: Two fifteen seconds, and I took a screenshot as well on my phone because I thought, you know, we'll just see, we'll just see how long the wait time is.
Speaker 6: Well, good to hear from you, Sean, You're right it has been youngs since we've spoken, so good. Good to hear from you. Thanks for the call. David's in Israel. Hi, David.
Speaker 20: Simon, Caro, Hi charently great to me from Sean the blast in the past. I'm sorry about his troubles, but I'm patty here from him and he's okay. Caroly, you should be PREMI Victoria Minister of Australia and probably Erica too.
Speaker 8: No, but you know what I meant, but to give us. Yeah, I love my segment, love my stuff. I'm fraid I'm not in radio. But what I will say David is I did actually make a comment to my kids and I said, you know, if I had the opportunity to be whatever it is, a government minister for the day, I would just want to revolutionize the phone system for all these things. I would want to have a quicker service. I want to employ people to just pick up the phone quicker to do it. Because to resolve myne ary only took fifteen minutes.
Speaker 20: But to get I mean more, the more Jackson's in the world, the better, because he answers than he has a beautiful conversation see and sometimes it's the pleasure court government is terrible here. Also, that's the thing. They have this thing here it actually works very very well. That actually it's easy to get too and it works well. My problem is I keep getting spam ats from your government Australia. You are this EUR account is about to be deleted. I mean, what have I got to do with him? You know, I don't even know why they how they know me.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And that's the thing, isn't it.
Speaker 8: I mean, as I said, I will put money on this one day that there will be a court case where somebody evidently doesn't pay their tax and it goes right to write to the Supreme Court and they say, well, I didn't know that it was for real.
Speaker 9: I could have been scammed.
Speaker 6: I thought it was because you.
Speaker 8: Just don't know that there's scams around all over the place. Now, David, thank you a lovely caller and we love hearing from you as well.
Speaker 9: Stay safe, David, stay really safe.
Speaker 6: Thank you. Mate. Adrian's and Mildura High Adrian.
Speaker 21: Oh, good morning, Simon, Carol morning, good morning, and I just got a couple of issues. Well, this is my experiences with my guv. Firstly, when you're ringing up center link, unless you're really they terminated a court because you're abusive, but the call drops out because obviously you're lining up waiting for forty five minutes to out and normally getting through all these since lenk departments, they don't even apparently. I've been told memerous times if the call drops out as you're in a black spot and a phone or whatever, that they don't even ring you back. I think it's the courtesy that they should ring you back if it's an issue like that where the calls accidentally dropped out, unless you're being abusive to them and they terminate the call because they should understand there's a long waiting time to get through to these departments, and then if we have to ring them back, we're waiting at another hourject get through. We're speaking to somebody different next time.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and Adrian, you reminded me of something as well, because what I will say is that with all the departments that had to contact, there was an option to press hash.
Speaker 9: To be on a callback.
Speaker 8: But the reason why I didn't do it is and this is also a bugbear fly. I don't have many bug bears, but simon, you love technology, you love the iPhone, you'll know In the old days of a couple of years ago, if you were on the phone and someone was ringing through to you, it would actually come up and say so and so is ringing except or reject call.
Speaker 9: But nowadays you.
Speaker 8: Can be on the phone, you get off the phone call and suddenly there's a miscall from some or whatever. And I thought to myself, well, hang on a second. If I press the hash to be in the callback for them to ring me back, I can't then ring the next apartment because I'll go around. I've actually got to wait on hold and see this sh.
Speaker 6: That makes sense, That makes sense.
Speaker 21: Yeah, yeah, So the other thing too, if I can talk about your health issue. Now, when I went in to try and change some of my health dates, because I'm not the one putting him in, it's my GP or the the specialist that does this, it gets gets put through by somebody from center Link or my go onto your my health record, you know that section. Yes, Now, when I went in to try and change it, I'm not. I couldn't change it, couldn't check because there's some errors there regarding the dates when I had my tests, et cetera. And I had to ring the one three number for settling for for that change, for that change to occur. But you know what, when when I got through and got them, told them to change the dates and everything like that, and then I got another date for another specialist appointment. My doctor went up to look up my health record to see the current history and what had been sent through. It was all partially wrong anyway. They didn't even change. So I don't know what's going on if the doctors are getting trying to find out whether or not it's all been updated, and then their doctors are telling me as a patient to get back to Central Link. It's a lot of time wasting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that it is.
Speaker 9: Yeah it is. So we've all got our little stories, haven't.
Speaker 6: We exactly right? Good on you, Adrian, Thank you. I hope at least feels all be better getting it off your ches. We do need to break back in a second with more from Caroly, Kats and Barnas. It's eight minutes to news time. Jim is in warnable. Hi, Jim died Jim. Hello, Jim, Jim.
Speaker 9: A pocket doll. Yeah, I think it is.
Speaker 6: He's not paying attention whatever he's doing. Sounds like he's in a car. I never mind. We'll get to we'll get back to your gym. Leo's on the road and day Leo.
Speaker 22: Okay, I am dysplexic, have been all my life, and my biggest horror is when I'm told you have to go to the app and I have so much trouble getting it, getting getting things done. I do have people that help, yeah, but it is one of those cases where I feel because I don't know, just scared to ask. But most people understand that it's just it's I have to ask and ask, and it's just it's so much. It's so you know, sort of I don't know, soul destroying in a lot of ways.
Speaker 6: But Leo, aren't you an uber driver?
Speaker 18: Yeah?
Speaker 22: Yeah, well I can. I can run that appy because it runs else It basically runs itself. But to get onto it, I had to go through my job service provider. It took us about two three weeks to finish to get it done, which is apparently quite normal, but yeah, I had to go back over and over again and finally got it installed, finally got off all the information uploaded and got on the app. But again, the apport runs itself. I mean, it just tap it and then slide at the end.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, that's fair enough.
Speaker 8: You have to get a three O W app make sure you download that crystal clear quality and sound.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm pretty easy. It's very easy.
Speaker 9: Easy, it's great. It's very very good for the nine network. I think Jim is back.
Speaker 22: Sorry, just uploading I find very very hard.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, no, that's fair enough to Yeah, thanks thanks Leo. Jim is back from Warnable.
Speaker 9: Hi Jim, good morning.
Speaker 12: Sorry.
Speaker 23: So, yeah, so you hopped out of the truck for men. I didn't think i'd be up so quick.
Speaker 13: That's all right.
Speaker 23: I signed the lad before it takes the calls Jackson. If you ever get to figure us off the pension offers, don't always take them for granted. Because when I when they took the part age pension off me because I was over the asset limit.
Speaker 12: They told me.
Speaker 23: I had forty six thousand dollars more than I actually did. Oh yeah, and when then the other then after I lost the pension signmon the money girl applied for her as soon as Australia health Care Card and you can have an income of ninety thousand dollars before that cuts out. Yeah, and she's I was talking to her when she was doing on the computer because she's in Bellavat, because she she does all that thing for me, because I can't do it.
Speaker 24: And.
Speaker 23: Because she won and want me tax details in the last financial year they were telling the machine was telling her from the from the pension office and the tax office on the pens office.
Speaker 18: Sorry but.
Speaker 14: Me and come was.
Speaker 23: Eighty thousand and it was only fifty six working part time.
Speaker 8: And I guess Jim, in that case, you do need to Yeah, that's what I mean. You do need to ring to try and get things sorted out. You can't always do everything online. You would to be able to speak to somebody as well. I'm glad I got sorted out, Jim.
Speaker 6: Good advice from Jim. Don't always just trust the numbers. Always double check back in a sec. We got news in one minute. It's nearly eleven o'clock in Perth, nearly half past twelve in Adelaide and nearly one o'clock in Melbourne. Has been lovely.
Speaker 8: It's been lovely to have you as well. So I get to see you all weekend though. Yes it's a bonus tape.
Speaker 6: Yes for three aw listeners. I'll be on Saturday night. And Sunday night and Carol will be in the newsroom.
Speaker 9: I'll be in the newsroom as well. Tiffy. Thank you for your messages. We'll get to them after the break.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's a whole bunch of text messages eron.
Speaker 7: See you next week.
Speaker 9: Thank you, Simon. I enjoyed the rest of the show. It's loorry to have you on air.
Speaker 6: Good on your thanks Caroly, always a pleasure to work with you too. After the news. More of your calls one double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two, keep them coming, whatever is on your mind.
Speaker 2: Now, this is Australia Open Eyes with Simon Owens.
Speaker 6: Our number two of Australia Overnight. Good to have your company and give us a call one double three eight eighty two or one double three six nine three whatever is on your mind. You're welcome to give us a buzz. Jackson and I are here taking your calls right through for the next four and a half hours. Thank you to Caraly, Kats and Barnas the Princess of all things common sense. Yeah, we've got to come. Is there a nickname for Caraly in that I think the common Sense Princess or something like that. We'll come up with something, but always a pleasure to spend a now with Caraly. But it's all about you now and your calls, So get on the phone and give us a buzz. A couple of text messages. We have received quite a few, and I haven't read any of them out, but we are watching them as they come through, So just a handful I'll read out here whilst we build up delay before we get back to your calls. Good evening. I hope this doesn't sound the wrong way, but there's a lot of people out there that state they can't do something. Of course there are exceptions, but I think you can do and learn anything at any age. Can't and won't a different thank you, Ben from Marie. Look, it is true, I can't do something is a very different statement to I don't know how or won't do something. If yes, you're right, almost anybody could learn the technology if they need, if they really wanted to. But it does take an extraordinary amount of effort and concentration. If you're not if you've not followed technology as it's progressed, to suddenly embrace technology is a really it can be a really complex thing. There's I'm trying to think of a good example. In my life. There are things that I just don't do because I'm just not interested and therefore the actual act of doing that would actually be really really difficult for me and take a lot of time and effort. So I would say, ah, yeah, I just can't do that. But you're right, You're right. It is a case of I won't do that. But good point while made, Ben, Thank you, Tivvy says, whether it's Central Link, Combank or whoever, if I have an issue, I always fill in a complaint form and then they have to call me save something to get through to someone, not knowing how long you'll have to wait. Good on your Tivvyyah, good smart move. But again I always I would never accept a call from the bank or the government because I I'm immediately suspicious that it's going to be a scam, because so many of them are the number of messages I get from Westpac and A and Z and I've never had an account with them. And I got a message the other day saying that my Optus account was you know, they weren't able to build my Optus account because I needed to supply a new credit card. Never been with Optus in my life, so you know, I'm very wary of anybody ringing me. So I'm a big fan of if someone rings, you hang up ring them back, so you know you're getting onto the right people. Hi, Simon and Curly. This is Jenny fifty years old. Never been online and never intend being, although I must admit the government is making it very hard now. Sorry Simon Brisbane, beat your bombers tonight at the Gabba. Carlton loving Jenny. Good on your Jenny. Thank you for that. And yeah, you're right if you've never been online and you never intend to the government is making it hard because I guess it's a more secure form if you've got all those processes in place, it is more secures a thing people don't think about. I know people who have a credit card in their wallet and I've said you should do it on your phone, you know the tap and go on your phone rather than having the card in your wallet, and I, oh, no, I'm not putting my card on the phone. That's that's risky. No, it is so much more secure than carrying that bit of plastic around in your wallet. I had my card skimmed at a work function. I was actually at a three aw work function. It was a farewell for a former program director. I had my wallet in my coat jacket pocket and we were at a pub and I took my coat off and I hung it up near the door just there was a place where a coat wreck for people to put their coats. And somebody who's gone past and skimmed my card, which is just they've got a magnetic reader and they can just read your card without even taking it out of your pocket. They can skim it. That's what the word is called skimming. And by the time I got home, I'd bought one hundred and fifty dollars worth of food from Adelaide at a KFC, and I'd spent more money in a hotel in Sydney. Yeah, they run up about five hundred dollars worth of bills and that was because somebody was able to walk past my coat and skim my card. They can't do that with a phone. Phones are so much more secure than the little bit of magnetic plastic. They're the dangerous things. So if you've got an option to put you to use a phone instead of a credit card, I suggest you do it anyway. That's just another example. All right, let's get to some calls. There's more text here, but I'll get back to some of those.
Speaker 25: Len's in Melton, Hilen, hi'mon, good to speak to you again.
Speaker 6: Thanks mate.
Speaker 25: First before that me call greatly from Sean.
Speaker 6: Yeah, good to hear his voice.
Speaker 25: It was now getting on a technology things like computers and that I'm uh not really with it. Ah, but the what is she brilliant? She does everything?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 25: Yeah, she does. She does all the banking and this, that and the other and buy stuff. And because she's in the arts and crafts and the issues place much she's got this big bruin there and it's for a craft.
Speaker 6: How do you know she's not sticking a bit aside for a rainy day? No trust sorry is she trustworthy?
Speaker 22: Uh?
Speaker 18: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 25: I'm still making your odd check because when time just a short forty five years.
Speaker 6: But that's beautiful.
Speaker 25: She's doing okay. But but I remember back in the day, so Simon, I was working in the IDEO and this would have been late sixties, early seventies, and they ruled they desarted the gay computer, right, Yeah, and as I heard the word computer. I said, that's it, We're done, you know. But they came up for these majing things saying, oh, but it's going to it's copy. It's going to reduce the amount of paperwork. Yes, yeah, which I think it's done. The opposite.
Speaker 6: Actually, Well, that that's the thing, isn't it. Once upon a time, all of these things was. The idea was that everything was going to be excuse me, digital and we wouldn't need much paper. But the amount of stuff I have to print out now is ten times as much as Iver used to.
Speaker 25: When one thing Simon, you know, he said, what would you have liked to have done for a living?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 25: Right? And I always wanted to fly aeroplanes. I'm writing aeroplanes. Yeah, them the corners for twenty six years, and I said, I want to fly aeroplanes. And I flew a plane when I was twelve and a half years old. It was the Chipmunk. I was seeing in the front seat, the pilots in the back seat. And these planes were used as trainers for the guys during World War Two in Australia that were learning to fly spitfires. They are lots more than a spitfire. And I can still remember the day that this guy took me out and we walked through the hangar and as we walked around the corner, there were two spitch fires sitting there. He said, I said to him one of these, you guys, you and I both wish He said, that's it over there, and it's a bet, oh, probably a further size, but you can throw them around. And I actually he gave me the control of fifteen minutes. So I did a couple of two minute turns and flew straight and he said, plane's mine. You did give me a brief before we took off, so I knew what doll to look at and do these turns. And yeah, but now it's a lot of fun. But I ended up driving trucks for fully forty three years. Yeah, I got rid of the officer. I ain't at working outside of all the time. I drove for garden companies, freight companies for mainly driving highlife trucks, for posing a catering truck. But now it's good fun. The only reason I didn't go into flying and take it up seriously because in mathematics wasn't that good And I thought, well, math if you're not good at maths, forget to be a flying a flying.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because you don't want to be flying at one thousand feet and then drop fifteen hundred feet. Do you know you don't want to get that math wrong.
Speaker 25: Yeah, I get a couple of figures rowing. You're in all sorts exactly.
Speaker 6: At least you got to fly it as a twelve year old. That's pretty impressive.
Speaker 25: That's one mate where we did one turn in that chipmunk and I can always remember because I was sitting in the front umber see the wing behind me, and it was just vertually if you put your hand down, it was a versus spinning on the spot. So we're in about nine near grees.
Speaker 6: Wow, that is that is amazing. Good on your lend. Thanks for the call. Fascinating as always, Thank you for that. Thank you John, who is doctor John? Who's just texted what most physical wallets now have RFID shielding to prevent skimming or not? My wallet? I think I've had my wallet for about fifteen years. It's a bit ratty and yeah, but I didn't know that. But that's andy to know. If you've got a new wallet, that's good. He says. The downside is you've always got to take out your Mikey card to use it. Yeah, my security pass to get into this building is in my wallet and I don't take it out. I just hold my wallet up next to the wall and it lets me in. So yeah, so there's definitely no shielding online. Sean's in West Melbourne High.
Speaker 18: Sean Simon, Hey you going, yeah, good things.
Speaker 15: I'm my first song called to you, but a long time long listener through our w and that last you know. And we have quite similar stories. I remember my first airplane trip was when I was seven years old, flying from Melbourne to City then to Hong Kong and I was fortunate enough to be taken up to the cock pit and also my uncle took a picture of me underneath the landing gear in my Australian bushman's hat and bushy tail for my first overseas trip which was the Hong Kong And yeah, quite ironic, I'm actually in a hostel at the moment. Simon and I had a terrible accident three years ago. I was working in on Docklund Studios on the Sounding Now and also a dish shocking like yourself and I basically we had like sixteen trucks to bump in the show and that so we did bump in the show. Basically we're the loading bay there at Dockland Studios. Every done very meticulously and it's all coordinated well. And I was unfortunate it was raining that morning and all the other trucks by truck had ramps and the truck and I was already had to fork to devinthing off the truck and I fell off back in the truck was proximately one point Australers went on to concrete Spine and yeah, I've been in really bad pain ever since and I'm going in the hospital now. And I said, oh your operations so well here for the short term. I'll get get my operation in a couple of days and that's work.
Speaker 6: So this this operation will hopefully help with the with the injury and the ongoing pain.
Speaker 15: Well I'll be I'll be braduating to my friend. I've had to play basketball down at your local basketball arena. I started radio with SO the FM I think when I was got ten. I can't remember there the band, but it was on a corner of South Road in the Pen Highway.
Speaker 26: Just get all there nine.
Speaker 6: Points something I think southern.
Speaker 25: Isn't it?
Speaker 15: Three?
Speaker 18: I can't remember.
Speaker 15: I'm forty four years old down Simon.
Speaker 27: Yeah, yeah, quite.
Speaker 15: I had a really good difference between a disc jockey a DJ and an elite pro DJ of the last one.
Speaker 24: Oh you are.
Speaker 6: Okay, you're more qualified than me.
Speaker 15: No, I think you did quite a good job, sir.
Speaker 6: Oh that's very kind.
Speaker 15: Thank you, And I'll be bringing up lately having a bully up of a pall with Tony because who are not clear used to do night. It's nice to caught him up and was spared to speak about aviations and say probably in mine.
Speaker 6: Also, you're probably one of those ones who would drive by anchor and woody nuts.
Speaker 15: I love what if you're out there? Son? I love him, mate, Sean, you're a good bloke.
Speaker 25: Mate.
Speaker 15: You are the definition of a good Australia.
Speaker 16: I love you.
Speaker 6: For those listening through five Double A and six PERR, Sean's talking about when Tony Mocla used to host Australia Overnight for the three a W audience and.
Speaker 15: He does a great job with the after the job and he's doing he's doing.
Speaker 6: Very well there. But yes, I was just I was just explaining to those listening that Tony Mocla has an extraordinary recollection and knowledge of all things there a nautical and to the point where it drives people crazy. His incredible knowledge.
Speaker 27: I love it, Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 15: Knowledge is power. You might remember there was a song in the eighties foot the Bear, but It's ships to be a square and that. Yeah, it's definitely relevant in these days because I'm My drug of choice is learning and I've just with cigarettes, which I spoke as was a kid. And the the reason I started smoking, I went to Boma's campus of setting up secondary college and I wanted to hang out with the cool kids, so they said, here's try this, and I wanted to be cool, so I took a few drags and then all of a sudden.
Speaker 25: You're addictive.
Speaker 15: And funnily enough, I had really bad asks for growing up. And the reason before that this is unfortunately I lost my mother at the tender age of five months old. She was killed in a fire in Cheue in nineteen eighty two. On February two nine, wrote a movie about screen Time productions, and unfortunately the movie is called Underbelly. File was a maount that got away and I'm a baby in the movie, but there may be a girl, so you have to pay me. That's a different story altogether. I've left past all that and I moved on and I'm engaged with a beautiful woman and life's good. So I wanted to get this operation. Basically this is the worst one. It's ALF four. So basically what it does is I get sided to get.
Speaker 27: Down my right leg.
Speaker 15: So imagine when you're the ind the army right and you're left right left. For every third or fourth step, it's like, yeah, yeah, was all the way up the leg and my back the l five. It's just I would rather I don't want to be too blunt listened out there with Australia, but I served for my country in two thousand and three. Well no, that was four. I'd rather be stabbed in the stomach than this. Paanell I to help with a bit of pliers.
Speaker 6: Well, I tell you, yeah, sure, I've got to get to a break. We're well over due. But lovely to hear from you, lovely to chat to you, and I hope we get to do it again. And good luck with that operation. If you come out of that like a new man, that would just be magnificent after all this time, great to chat to you, as I say, I hope we can chat again, but I do have to get to a break back in a see twenty six after one in Melbourne, twenty six after eleven in Perth and in Adelaide it's four minutes to four minutes to one. Linda has texted a sortled in sorry simon, any chance of phone numbers for those of us who can't jump on the web, many of us who are mostly forgotten the missing girl. If we see her, we call. Yeah, I should redo that actually, so you call Triple O you if you find her. This is for Melbournian's this particular alert. Police have put out a report they're currently searching for an appealing for public assistance to help locate a missing girl named Ivy, eleven year old girl last scene in cran but North on the twenty ninth of May, which is yesterday Melbourne time, at about eight twenty in the morning. Ivy and police and Ivy's family have serious concerns for her welfare. She's only eleven and this disappearance is way out of character, and she doesn't have access to a mobile phone. She's of Asian appearance, one hundred and sixty centimeters tall, medium build, dark chest length hair, and light blue glasses. She was last seen wearing a Navy school uniform carrying a backpack. So I know I shouldn't hypothesize here, but it was Friday and eight twenty am was the last time she was seen so and in school uniform, so it sounds like she was heading off to school and never got there. So if anyone has seen Ivy, or if anyone's out and about at the moment, please if you're in the cram in North area, have a look around, just check everywhere. If you call out in the street, just call out to see if Ivy happens to be there, hiding in the dark, scared, not knowing where she is. It would be really good if we can find this missing girl. Call Triple zero if you if you do have any luck with sightings of Ivy. Thank you Lynn for the text. Sandra, He's in Ringwood.
Speaker 18: Hi, Sandra, morning son.
Speaker 28: How are you?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Good? Thank you?
Speaker 28: Would you hear your horse here?
Speaker 6: That's very kind, thank you and yours?
Speaker 28: Yeah yeah, yeah, that's that's not good news with it, but that girl.
Speaker 6: Very sad.
Speaker 28: M Yeah, so she what's the story She didn't make it to school or she was coming home.
Speaker 6: Well, they haven't said, but it does say she was last seeing wearing a Navy school uniform and carrying a backpack and she was scene at eight twenty am. So it sounds to me like she's left home to go to school. But I'm filling in blanks there that I honestly don't know. But it's yeah, because it's not it's not in the report. It doesn't say, But my guess is that eight twenty am in a school uniform, she was on her way to school and never turned up. So that's why re police and family are very worried for her safety.
Speaker 28: Yeah, well, I just hope she's okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 28: Yeah. So you had a good weekend I have.
Speaker 6: It was went out for dinner with the family last night because my son is now today now being in Melbourne and Adelaide time, it's now the thirtieth of May. It's my son's nineteenth birthday today, so we went out for family celebrations last night, which was which was lovely.
Speaker 28: Yeah, it's my friend in it's her sixty ninth birthday today.
Speaker 6: Which is a little older than my son.
Speaker 28: Yeah, well we've been for instance, we were in primary school. It's in Sydney, and yeah, so it's a long friendship. I mean she's turned sixty nine and in October I'm going to turn one year older than that.
Speaker 6: So so you're you're a Sydney girl originally Sandy. What caused Sandra to move from Sydney to Ringwood.
Speaker 28: Well, it was some difficulties with my with my nuclear family and you know, someone needing to get away from an abusive situation.
Speaker 6: So a bit of distance to.
Speaker 28: Melbourne when I was forty years old and I've been here since and it was the best move I ever made. A Couple of years before I moved, in ninety ninety six, my grandmother unfortunately passed away, but she left me half a house in Sydney and it was enough to put a quite a good deposit on the unit down here. And then a couple of years after I moved down here, I was retrained from my job. But the payment I got from that. I worked for Joshua for twenty nine years and the payment I got from that was enough to pay my unit off down here. So yeah, you know, I have not to worry about rent or anything like that.
Speaker 6: That's good. Well, I'm glad that worked out for you, because not everybody can escape troublesome situations. I'm glad that worked out for you.
Speaker 28: Yeah, but you know, I enjoyed my weekend and I enjoyed Wednesday night too, because like originally came from New South Wales. I'm a.
Speaker 6: Oh, you're a State of Oranges fan.
Speaker 29: Oh.
Speaker 28: Yes, I enjoyed seeing the boys points Land.
Speaker 17: It was great.
Speaker 6: You know, it's something that most people in the southern parts of the country just don't quite get. Is that passion for the state of origin.
Speaker 28: No, yes, well, I'm very passionate about it, you know, to the extent that I actually can't watch watch all of it, you know of it if I if I if it guests to the point where I know that New South Wales are going to win, then I'll that I'll switch it on and watch the end of it. But if it looks like the Queenslanders are going to win, then I'll switch it off. I say with my aofl to the Swans, but I'm not talking about them this year because they've They've gone really bad. After losing the Grand Final by sixty points last year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was a disappointment, wasn't it. Oh yeah, there's nothing worse than a big margin in a grand final. It just makes the whole year pointless, no it does.
Speaker 28: I mean, you know, they were doing so well up to learn and I don't know, it was as if the switch went off in the Grand Final. They just and they weren't on the field, you know. And to lose tour queen playing team too, I mean that was that was a you know, the worst part, you know, you know, being in New South Wales person the originally you know.
Speaker 6: But anyway, alrighty well, lovely to chat.
Speaker 28: You do, have a good rest of your morning and I'll talk to you again when you're on.
Speaker 6: Good on your Sandra. Thanks for wet time is really whipping through this morning. I don't know why. Twenty seven to midnight in Perth, just after one o'clock in Adelaide, and just after half past one in Melbourne, breaking back with more VI calls, Vern James, Greg Jim will be with you soon. Vern is intra relgan hi Vern.
Speaker 17: Here going soon and.
Speaker 30: Thank you very much for answering the call. And I feel sorry for that little girl wandering around, and I'm thinking, how comes she's here wandering around? But anyway, we don't know, but there's obviously something there. Now, so I want to ask you a question, and if you get this question right, you'll get five points on your leaderboard.
Speaker 6: Yes, this is Vern's Quinns for those who want to aware.
Speaker 30: Yep, that you're going pretty good at the moment. Now, a man walked into a shop and on the wall with a photograph in a frame, and he looked at the photograph and he said, brothers and sisters. I don't have none, but that man's father is my father's son. Now, I want you to have good think about it is fairly technical, but if you get the answer right, you'll get five points on your board. If you don't get it right, I'll take two points off your board. But at the moment you're leading with pat on number nineteen. Let's see how we go.
Speaker 6: Brothers and sisters. Yeah, so he doesn't have any brothers and sisters. That instant, that instantly tells me that the person in the picture is himself. No, no, okay.
Speaker 30: Brothers and sisters, for I have none. That that man's father is my father's son. Now, in the next two people that call in and reckon they've got it, I'll give it to you, but if they don't, I'll have to take some numbers off you.
Speaker 6: Sorry, so well, so I actually lose points. I would have taken more time to work through the math of it. Oh well, it is what it is, all right. So we're going to see if callers can gets the answer. How will we know if they're right, because only you know the answer.
Speaker 30: Because I know the answer, and if they get it right, I will say bingo, right, okay.
Speaker 6: But but if I move on from you to the next caller, you're not going to be there to say bing go because I'll be talking to them.
Speaker 31: No, I'll be here.
Speaker 6: I'll be here, okay, So you'll hang on and if people want to have a guess at it, we can come back to you and see if.
Speaker 30: There are But I feel sorry for that poor little girl walking around. She might be cold and everything. Goodness knows what's happened to her. But there's a lot of people out there, and uh, I feel sorry for the family.
Speaker 6: Yes, well, we don't. We don't know what the what the story is. We just know that she's she's gone missing. We don't know that there was foul play. Hope. Hopefully she just jumped on the wrong bus or something and got herself lost. Hopefully it's as innocent as that, and we get her back Maggie and has texted through that the answer is that he's looking at a picture of his own son. Is Maggie correct? Vern?
Speaker 25: Oh?
Speaker 6: Sorry, is Meggie correct? There? Bingo, Well done, Maggie, Maggie, congratulations to you. So I don't get points, though, do I? For Meggie getting it right?
Speaker 30: Yeah? Anyway, you're up on the lead the board at the moment, so you've got another five points.
Speaker 6: Okay, So I do get points even though I got it wrong and Meggie got it right on my behalf.
Speaker 30: Yeah exactly because if it was if an answer or a listener got it right within the two questions, he's got it right fair enough, Maggie. Yeah, welling ding.
Speaker 6: Ding, Well, thank you for that and there we go. So that's worked out well for me. I appreciate the call as always, Van, thank you. James is in Adelaide, Hi, James.
Speaker 32: Good morning, Simon, Simon. I I I just told the number right, the one one three, double three six no three right to get through it. It's not contact in my phone right today, it's got exact security comes up.
Speaker 6: It was exact security.
Speaker 32: Ye in couples, and then security in just one capital and before that I had daily ritual for about a year now I worked.
Speaker 6: That one out mate, even though you've never put the number in their phone is.
Speaker 32: A contact, yeah, never put it as a contact.
Speaker 12: Never.
Speaker 6: That is intriguing. I do know with my phone, if I get an email from somebody and they put their phone number in it and then they ring me, the phone will suggest this might be so and so, because because it reads your emails, which I'm not terribly happy with. But yeah, so it suggests names. But yeah, that's that's weird that it would suggest those.
Speaker 32: And I know several businesses even though you haven't got them in the contact, their contact number will come up and the business the name will come up.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I think that's going to happen more and more where it doesn't actually matter what you've got in your contacts. They're they're going to be able to I think artificial intelligence creeping into all these operating systems on phones and things is going to well, it's getting better and better obviously, but at the moment artificial intelligence is clever, but it makes a hell of a lot of mistakes.
Speaker 16: Yep.
Speaker 32: Now what I really rang up for, Simon is a couple of birthdays. Now that I've have a singer, country sting American singer w Chad.
Speaker 6: I've heard the name, Yeah, I know the name.
Speaker 32: A tragic story in her life. She her mother committed a die. She is a CRT and she's actually looking after her sister's daughter because her mother is in jail, in and out of jail. So yeah, he's had a bit of a bit of a rough life. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And she said, she said, spending time with her granddaughter taught her there is a life after death, you know, which obviously she's referring to her mother. Yeah, and yeah, she's she does. She does a cover of I Want to Know What Love Is? Incredibly Yeah, her voice is just incredibly strong. Make really good love that version. Now this one here, you know, this is deceased Murray Fredericson. Does that ring a bell?
Speaker 6: Marie Fredrickson? Why am I thinking? Roish rock set?
Speaker 18: The one?
Speaker 32: Mate?
Speaker 33: Yeah?
Speaker 32: Mate, birthday today and she passed away.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she sadly passed away. Way to you.
Speaker 26: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 32: Song that must have been love the Look and Listen to Your Heart. Yeah, all very good song.
Speaker 6: Rock Sett did a tour and I went and saw the concert twice. I enjoyed it the first night and I actually I bought a ticket for the first night, and then the second night a friend had a ticket and their partner was sick, so they said, would you like to go and see the concert? And I said, well, I went last night, but I really enjoyed it, so I did. I went and saw it the second night in the row.
Speaker 32: That would have been good there and she she she suffered for seventeen years with cancer, so she passed away. Yeah, she had for seventeen years. Man, far Yeah, that's a long time.
Speaker 34: Isn't it.
Speaker 6: It's just that's cool, it's awful.
Speaker 26: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 32: And then the last black past is well, it's only because he's passed away. Michael Summer from Calling the Gang passed away on the twenty nine.
Speaker 10: Okay, yeah, you remember Calling Calling the Gang.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, well I do, but of a little probably just a smidge before my time for me to really know them, but certainly know of them. Yes, yes, I couldn't name yourself Aft the top of my head.
Speaker 32: They're probably most well known hit will probably be Celebration, Yes, yeah, and I love Cherish and female friend of mine she loves Joanna because that's her name.
Speaker 6: Obviously I thought Cherish was by the Association or is that a different song?
Speaker 32: I'm not followed the same, but yeah, I didn't have those Let's sing Cherish.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, okay, yeah, but no celebration. Celebration is a great song. I love that, but I also I love Dragon's version of that too.
Speaker 32: Yeah they're good, mate.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there you go, some interesting stats as always, not a problem, mate. Thanks for that, beautiful. I appreciate the call. Thanks Greg, take care of cheers. Was that Greg or James? Sorry, I'm just that was that was James, wasn't it? Yeah? Greg's up after the break. Sorry. If I actually just read what you had on the screen, Jackson, would I would have been right. I just threw myself for some reason. Thank you, James, very kind. All right, we do need to get a break out of the way though, and back with you, Greg, Jim and Mark. The playback music that I've just heard in my years. I'm not sure if it's the same around the network, because we may all have different throwback music logged, but the one I just heard in my headphones was Jimmy Barnes song. I'm trying to think what the name of the song was, Let's make It Last all Night or something. Yeah, yeah, great song. And that reminds me of the newspapers this morning. The news limited papers are all carrying the story. Jimmy Barnes has apparently written a book and he's based on something that happened in real life where his sister was possessed and ran around. She played with Ouiji board and ran around, smacked herself into a wall. So that'll be a very interesting read in the papers today. I haven't had a look at the article yet. I'll do that when I get tired. Jimmy Barnes talking about his sister being possessed. We won't do calls have you ever been possessed? I don't know if we'd get that many, and it might be a little scary this time of the morning, so keep the calls coming on anything else. Greg's in Cheltenham? Did I Greg?
Speaker 16: Hi, Simon?
Speaker 18: How you doing?
Speaker 31: Oh good?
Speaker 16: Yeah? Enjoying the show? Oh program?
Speaker 6: Thank you?
Speaker 16: What do you call it a program or a show?
Speaker 6: Or well, technically, i'd say it's a program because a show to me indicates that it's got to be seen.
Speaker 16: Now it's a program. Well, I'm joining the program.
Speaker 6: Thank you. You can. You can watch the program online. But it's not really a visual medium radio. So yeah, so i'd call it a program, but it could be also a show.
Speaker 16: Well, very good, very good. I'm an intentive listener. Been listening for you, isn't it? With Tony Moclair and all that. I want to get back. I'm going to get back to aircraft and all the airplane buffs. Yeah. Well, you know that some pilots can fly on instruments. Yeah, they don't really need to see out the window or anything. They just look at the instruments that are on cross the dash of the backup systems in the cockpit. Well, when they get their license to fly on instruments, they're strapped in the seat with a really well qualified instructor and the guy who's going for his license on instrument, and the instructor takes him up to about four thousand feet and then he inverts the aircraft. Yeah, he's upside and then he hands it over as a guy going for his license and he says, bring it in.
Speaker 6: Wow, And do they actually obscure the you know, do they put like sunshades up on the windscreen so they can so.
Speaker 16: I know there's no sancho. It's at night, it's nice night.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, I would absolutely soil myself if that was me in the seat.
Speaker 16: Well, they do they bring them back in?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well we hope, yeah, well they do.
Speaker 16: They do, and they get their license. And that's why it's so very nice to know that those boys up front know what they're doing, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Well, Nathan Kosher of course does the weekly spot her Pets and jets. He speaks about things like that, and yeah, it's amazing, just the incredible amount of knowledge you need to be a professional pilot. It's you know, there isn't a question I've ever asked that he hasn't been able to give me a very thorough answer to.
Speaker 16: Right. Yeah, well, yeah, well, well I live very close to Maraban Airport and I just love seeing them go over and the helicopters and all the shoots, the twin engines and the single engines and the little Cestna one eighties when they take off, when there's a lot of wind going they sort of peg cake up over the air to get up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, hey hey Greg, Now I've got to break in thirty seconds. But can I ask you I was once told that Merabin Airport is the busiest airport in the Southern Hemisphere. Is that true?
Speaker 31: Yes?
Speaker 6: Yes, what a fascinating stat the number of planes that must take off on land from there all you know, every day.
Speaker 33: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 16: And traffic controlled very important.
Speaker 6: No, absolutely, there's now there's a high stress job that's traffic control at an airport. Oh god, I could never do it. I just couldn't do it. Greg, thank you for that. We've got to get our last breakaway before news radio. It's coming up to tomorrow in Perth, so it'll be good to have you on board. It's going to be one point thirty in Adelaide and in Melbourne two o'clock. We're here for another three and a half hours. Jackson and I are taking your calls this morning. Keep them coming one double three six nine three one double three eight eighty two and shoot us a text. Why the hell not zero four double seven six nine three six nine three.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Australia Overnight with Simon Owens.
Speaker 6: Welcome back our number three of Australia. Overnight. Tony McManus just off for yesterday and today is feeling just a touch under the weather. He's put in a sterling performance. He hasn't chucked a SICKI in all this time. Last time I filled in for him was on January the fifteenth, So the Tower of Strength is just taking a day or two off to rebuild and he'll be back bigger and better than ever on Monday. You've got myself and Jackson here this morning taking your calls one double three six nine three or one double three eighty two. Anything you want to chat about You more than welcome. A couple of things we've got sort of underway. Well I haven't even really thrown them out as topics, but callers have raised a couple of interesting things. When did you get your first mobile phone? Currently, Kats and Barnas and I were talking about that. We touched on it briefly in the first hour, and Michael has texted through got his first mobile nineteen ninety thirty five years he's had his mobile phone. I got mine. I can actually pinpoint the date, Jackson, When did you get your first mobile do you know.
Speaker 7: I reckon around twenty ten or so.
Speaker 6: And how young were you, because you're.
Speaker 7: About eleven or twelve, I reckon I was eleven or twelve.
Speaker 6: In a mobile phone. Yeah, so I was twenty four when I got mine, right, because they just sort of weren't really a thing. They were around, but only for sort of rich people and professional.
Speaker 7: I were quite expensive when they first come out.
Speaker 6: They were yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But I got mine on the fourteenth of September nineteen ninety six. And the reason I can actually nominate the date is because my wife was pregnant with our first daughter, Shannon at the time, and I was working nights, and I was worried that I would get in the car to come to work and start driving into work, and then my wife might go into labor. But then I'd drive an hour to get into work, only to arrive to hear that there's a message for me that my wife had gone into labor, have to turn around and drive all the way home again. So I thought, you know, I'm going to get a mobile phone so that she can bring me anytime immediately. So I went out that morning and bought the mobile phone, and that afternoon my wife went into labor and that night Shannon was born. So I got my first mobile phone on the day our daughter was born, which is why I can pinpoint the date exactly. But it was an one five number. I think Telecom mobile net as it was back then. John Blackman used to advertise them. They had one to eight was the first lot of mobiles back in the analog days, and then they moved on to one five when they run out of one eight numbers. And so mine was an O one five number. I can't remember from I can't remember now what that number was, and I've changed numbers, I think three times, but I've had this number probably for probably for twenty something years, about twenty two to twenty three years. I've had the same number now. But there you go. So twelve eleven or twelve, Yeah, I guess that's when we got.
Speaker 7: I knew people who were getting of it. Maybe eight. Yeah.
Speaker 6: At school, Yeah, so mum could ring you, Mum could ring you and say I'm running late for.
Speaker 7: School, strictly for talking to your parents. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And they did have for while. They probably still have them, but like kids safe mobiles where the kids can't make calls except for their pre programmed numbers. So you've got mum's number, dad's number, you know, the doctor's number or the police are all sort of locked into the phone.
Speaker 35: Yes, I remember when sort of iPhones were starting, some parents would make it an effort to make sure they got the kids. You know, the Nokier thirty three ten. Yeah, those sort of old brick phones. Yeah, they couldn't play too many games or anything like that.
Speaker 6: No, exactly, Now there you go. So when did you get your first mobile? And do you remember what model it was and all that sort of thing? One double three six no three or one double three eight eighty two? What did you want to do for a living? A caller mentioned that earlier, saying that it came up as a topic, And so I scribbled that down and thought, that's actually not a bad question to ask. What did you want to do for a living? And did you end up doing it? Same numbers? One double three eight eighty two or one double three six nine three. So proud of the Bombers tonighttastic effort by an underman's side. Go Bombers, says Mark of Scoresby and says, so nice to hear time calls. I do love doing a time call. Thank you for that, And Lily says Vern's quiz is great, so thank you. Art says Simon, you need to suck on a fisherman's friend. I had a cough for like six months and I couldn't shift it. Finally went to the doctor and ended up on antibiotics and I got rid of that cough about three or four weeks ago. And then a week or so ago I got just the tiniest little head cold. Now I've got the cough again, so annoying. All right, let's get back to your calls. Mark's in Hampton East.
Speaker 17: Get I Mark, Good morning there.
Speaker 36: How are you going today?
Speaker 32: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Good, thanks, that's good turning.
Speaker 12: Mobile phone.
Speaker 36: When I first got my mobile phone, and also when I had a goal to start a job, I thought that, you know, my first mobile phone was a Nohier.
Speaker 6: It was a Nockier. Was it the thirty three to ten?
Speaker 18: There?
Speaker 36: In fact, I believe it was the thirty three ten that the little square on the little baby phone?
Speaker 23: It was so small.
Speaker 36: It was so cool to have the small phone.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, now was the thirty three ten? I think was a slightly larger one, But yeah, I had I had a really I had a really small Nokia one for a while. I can't remember the model number. It was like the fifties something, fifty three something. Yeah, but yeah, they were great little phones, those nonckiers.
Speaker 36: It was understanding, a little part of the little little phone club there.
Speaker 31: I had it also.
Speaker 36: Murder Roller Phone two, which was a pretty good phone there too. And I used to work with Hanry Jack's in Oakley, and I used to think I was the coolest guy in the planet Understanding league. We were going down there to see what was the greatest phone. At nighttime. My friends and I would go down and compare our mobile phones after work. Yeah, we used to think we were the coolest guys on the plane. And we used to take out mobile phones down to the city and get food at night time and go driving around the place. We understood that one thing that when you go for a drive at night time, you take your mobile phones. Always use the mobile phones and you're not driving, oh.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, yes, yes, or at least have them bluetoothed to your car stereo and use your voice commands, you know, tell your phone who you want to ring and stuff like that.
Speaker 36: Then everybody is going out today to have a drink. I believe in the city, and I just wanted to wish everybody else happy day today.
Speaker 6: Who's going out for a drink in the city.
Speaker 36: The people that working at the place in the mobile phone place in the city there.
Speaker 6: Oh okay.
Speaker 36: I heard them on the other radio yesterday and they were saying they're going for a drink. And I'm not saying it's alcohol or anything like that, or water. I'm not too sure, but I do wish them a happy day. And anybody that wants to come over to my place out of my friends, I want to wish them a happy day too.
Speaker 6: No, well, that's lovely, Get on your mark taste by thanks mate, cheers, Mark's away happy. Such a lovely call. Jim's in Westwoods. Great good a Jim.
Speaker 27: Good morning, Simon and Jackson. Just a few very quick things for now, and I might call you Lado, but I don't fall asleep. First of all, if Tony's listening again, all the best to Tony and good morning to him. Second of all, Happy birthday for your son today. You said it was his birthday today.
Speaker 6: Yeah, nineteen today.
Speaker 27: So happy nineteenth.
Speaker 31: What's his name? I forgot Ethan Ethan.
Speaker 27: That's right. Also with Nathan Kosh if he's listening, good morning to him. And I heard him so many times that it was you that came up with the name pets and Jets for his slogan or whatever you.
Speaker 31: Want to call it.
Speaker 6: That is true. That's what I'll be remembered for coming up with the title of the segment for Nathan Golosh Pets and Jets.
Speaker 27: No, but you've thought of many other things. You're you're great at putting those music montages together, which I love, and many other things. And the historian of Threa w and everything. You good of many things, Simon. I have been listening for years, as you know. And what else I wanted to say? One more thing than now I've forgotten. Okay, Simon, if I'm away clad I'll call you and Jackson later.
Speaker 6: No worries, Yeah, because now now I want to know if there was something else but you've forgotten. I hate it when that happens. It might have been the most important thing.
Speaker 18: Might have been. But I have once.
Speaker 27: I used to have what people call an elephant memory. These days, because of sleep disorders, I have a lot of memory lapses a lot these days. But I struggled to remember things. But years ago everyone used to tell me I had an elephant memory because I used to remember everything.
Speaker 6: Not so now I forget stuff all the time. Maybe I wonder if it is related to sleep, because I don't think I sleep as well as I used to. I wake up a couple of times during the night now, and I used to sleep. I used to be able to sleep until nine o'clock in the morning without a worry. Now I always wake up at like seven seven point thirty or son. It distresses me to wake up that early.
Speaker 27: I've heard you say that, Simon, But it's not onlie me or you, it's anybody. If you don't if you don't sleep properly, you will have a memory lapses. That always affects your memory or your concentration if you don't get enough sleep, like you.
Speaker 18: You'll know that anyway and people.
Speaker 27: But there's another thing I wanted to mention that people will probably laugh at me. You know a lot of car accidents they go, they go, I mean not unnoticed that there's a lot of car accidents and they can't solve how they happen. I think in winter, I think in winter with people putting their heaters on, sometimes crashing into trees. I believe car heaters are putting people to sleep with some of those unsolved car accidents in winter that they don't solve solved because I remember my friend used to put the heater on when I used to go fishing, and they used to knock me out all the time. I believe some people leave the heater on too long and it puts them to sleep.
Speaker 6: If it's a cold Dane, you've got the warm heater on in the car can make you a bit drowsy.
Speaker 27: I think I believe a lot of unsolved car accidents have happened like like that about people falling to sleep that have crashed into trees, and yeah.
Speaker 6: It's quite possible. I would think in some cases they would be able to forensically prove that that happened. Because if you drift off and the car just veers off the road and you slam into a tree and die, your body reacts differently than if it had if you were conscious and gripping the steering wheel in a panic, so your body different, bones grew someome thing to talk about. But if you're asleep when the impact happens, your body reacts differently than if it was rigid and solid in panicky. So yeah, so the forensics are pretty good around that sort of stuff, but you're possibly right there would be somewhere that might be the case.
Speaker 27: Yeah, that's right. You now a lot of things like that too, because your probably your father would have told you about seeing things like that and forensics too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my dad, being a former police officer, had his fair share of dawn, of being on scene at crimes, at accident scenes where there were deceased people, and did his fair share of the door knocks, the having to knock on a family's door and say your kid's never coming home or your husband or your wife terribly, what a terrible thing to have to do.
Speaker 27: Will be on the show next week, Simon, what was that?
Speaker 6: Sorry?
Speaker 27: Rod disable and who Tony has a guest quite often. He was a former policeman for forty years and he have my ship to be a shift to work.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, he was supposed to be on yesterday morning, but with Tony not being here, we didn't proceed with the segment because it's one of you. It's Tony's segment with Roger, so he'll he'll probably be back with him next week.
Speaker 27: Okay, thank you, Simon, thank you.
Speaker 6: Good on a gym, no worries, have a good one. We'll knock off a break here. Mary, Arthur and Sean with you all very soon. And there's room on the board for more. One double three six nine three or one double three eight eighty two. When did you get your first mobile? What did you want to do for? Excuse me? Well, I cough again. All right, back in a minute. Twenty three after two in Melbourne, twenty three after midnight in Perth, and in Adelaide, it's seven minutes to two. Mary's in Springvale?
Speaker 18: Home, Mary, how are you this morning?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm good, Thank you.
Speaker 37: Oh well, I've just walken up when I've just listened into your thing about what you want to be and what you're turned out being. Yeah, well, I always wanted to be a school teacher and I ended up being a trained nurse. And talking about phones, I had the most incredible nock here, and I think Nokia's are one of the best phones. I've now got an Apple iPhones, but I've got to knock here hidden away somewhere because it's got so many of my old photos from my travels but I do need to get them sorted and get some of the photos off.
Speaker 6: Yes, that is always a problem with upgrading your phone if you haven't been backing them up to anywhere. Yeah, you've got to make sure you lift them because so much of your life is photos taken now on your phone.
Speaker 37: What's amazing, isn't it. It's greatest. You've got the phone to take photos and the only puld of is off and they're not in your hands when you leave them.
Speaker 6: Well, I've got I've got my phone set up that so I've got a there's a thing called drop Box, which is one of those cloud things, cloud based things where it's stores stuff, and I've got my phone set up so that every time i take a photo it also backs up to my drop Box account. So if I drop my phone in a bucket of water, I'm not going to lose anything.
Speaker 37: Oh that's a good idea, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's very handy.
Speaker 37: I think it's amazing how many focus I think I've got two odd thousand photos on the phone anyway.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then there's cataloging them actually going through something we never had in the days of film was the problem. We've got now where if I go to take a photo of someone, if I get a group of people together and say right, i'll take a photo, I'll take a photos and then you've got to go through and find the best one to keep. And we never had to do that with a film camera. You just take the risk and if someone was blinking, bad luck. That was just the way it was.
Speaker 33: I know.
Speaker 37: Often you used to take some these photos to take the group photos. You never knew how they turned out, and often leave their head off, or you leave somebody else. No, it's pretty amazing now because you can always take three photos and pick the best one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, yes, Yeah.
Speaker 37: It's amazing. Technology has come so far, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Imagine explaining explaining to kids how photos used to happen, that you couldn't see what the photo was that you actually took, until you'd have to finish a role of film and then take it to a chemist or to kmart or wherever, then drop it off there and then pay someone to print them out, print out the photos on bits of paper for you, and you go back and pick them up the next day.
Speaker 37: That was exactly some old and my granddaughter took some of them, to somebody to try to get them developed, and they're so old you don't get them developed anymore.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's hard to find the places that do old film developing now.
Speaker 37: Yeah, yeahl in my eighties now, some of them were really really old.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I still remember the first digital photo I took. I bought a secondhand digital camera because they were so expensive, and it had a little memory card in it, and I think you could take about twenty photos and then you had to empty the memory card into your computer. And I remember getting that, getting that camera that day, putting batteries in it on and the batteries went flatten a heartbeat. But I remember taking a photo of my daughter Rachel, who was about two, sitting at a desk, and I took the photo of it. Then I ran over to the computer and plugged it in, and I was stunned at just how you instantly I could take a photo and then I could have it there on my computer. It was amazing.
Speaker 37: It was really exciting, wasn't it. It was so in the last twenty odd years to Simon, Yeah, everything is just so easy. And look, you've got a great program. I'm often still asleep at this time and I haven't caught up these pages, but I'm a regular three a W listener and you always said great, well.
Speaker 6: You're very kind. That's that's lovely of you. Mary, thank you for that. We'll have a good morning, no take care. Cheers. Arthur's in with what's Greg did I? Arthur?
Speaker 14: Good morning, Simon and Action Jackson. All the best to Tainey Mac to get better. All the best to your son Ethan for his birthday was nineteen lovely anyway with mobile phones, my first is probably mid ninety three because I was djaying and so on. It was a brick.
Speaker 31: I still have it.
Speaker 14: I still remember the number I won five was here on one five three, five six seven three zero. I to remember it and I kept it. I bought it off Crazy John, which unfortunately passed away. Also taekwon day instruck. Unfortunately he had a heart attack. You remember own't Crazy John's store in Soelth, Melbourne. I knew him very well John Yeah Yeah, and he had a store in Celth, Melbourne as well as well as Brunswick. He always looked after me. Some of them I bought were the ericson as well and several other Nockiers and the Yeah somewhere only a duller. They provided you go on a contract. He had all sorts of contracts and I've got a bag war from for sivinies. Originally I didn't want to step in the security industry. That happened accidentally with a Chief Inspective Police's son details training. I wanted to become a technician and electronics and a bit of an electronics wizard, but I couldn't get in because the schools were booked out. Simon still yeah, but I still got pretty good basic electrical knowledge. I can make a breakload, which I did at only thirteen to fourteen years old on a pushbike.
Speaker 31: The hearder.
Speaker 14: You press it arse and it brightens up. And I tripped people out by doing a source of experiments like I switched the turn on the radio. Yeah, you put the brake on and they'll touch the frame. And I made a break lay on the drags the pushbike.
Speaker 31: Believe it or not?
Speaker 6: Ye, how cool is that?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I would love to. I've got a maid named Aaron who who repairs old radios and things. And I look at the inside. I look at the guts inside electronic devices and things, and wouldn't know where to start, and to him, it's all logical and makes perfect sense. And I've always been very jealous of that. I would love to restore old radios. That'd be a great hobby for me.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I was really interesting, man. I used to pull out the circuit board and I was learning from a friend that actually got in. He taught me quite a bit the resistance a capacitor, the diode, and I was always fascinated by it. But I'd really like to learn that as well. You know, I've collected antique radio. Some I get going, some I don't, but I've just got them from memories the way it was in the past, as you know. So I put him in the old vintage room. Eventually I'm hoping to get a real to reel. I'll have to ask Rick about that again.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they come up occasionally on on eBay. You'll find them for sure. Absolutely.
Speaker 14: I remember your shaving one there. I was tripped out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've got I've got one at home, and I've got one here at work too that I use.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it was incredible to see that. We used to have one, but my auntie took it back off of unfortunately played really well. Was the one, but hopelly, I'll ring Rick and see if he can help me one of.
Speaker 6: Them fair enough to Yeah, cool, all right.
Speaker 14: Well, thanks Simon, Thanks.
Speaker 6: Good on you, Arthur. Always a pleasure. Thank you mate. Sean's in Tazzida Sean.
Speaker 12: The evening, Simon. Yeah, I wanted to mention too things about phone, something about our listener said earlier on on the phone. And my first phone was some cheap a brand, but it had all the bells and whistles and doudeads. I don't know what brand. It was some Chinese thing, and it didn't laugh very long. And then I got an erics in one of those little erics, and I got it to ring up the radio station when I was at work. When I was doing I was going all over Sydney. I was an offside to an electrician and plumber that fixed glash washers and dishwashers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so you bought it so you could ring into the radio station.
Speaker 24: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I was listening to the radio while I was riding around from place to place in the van, and i'd ring them while I was in the van and talk to them and talk to the triple end while I was in the van. When I was going from different workplace to workplace.
Speaker 6: Yeah, cool, that's that's that actually changed back radio the mobile phones. It's it's been a great addition for us in terms of what we can do with the radio stations crossing to people live on scene rather than having to because journos used to go out and cover a story and then have to find a phone booth or borrow someone's home line to actually ring in and file reports and stuff. So it's made a big difference.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I reported on the big day out and all sorts of things so that the Triple Am I quite a few things for them. I was back in about two thousand. Yeah, they put me on air a lot. I had fun. And the other thing was a listener said he put the phone number to ring in another phone that the number wasn't stored in, and it came up as daily ritual. I was wondering, do you do you daily rituals there, because the same thing happened to me. I'm ringing you on my brother's phone because I can't ring you on my and it come up as daily ritual when I put the number in a ring.
Speaker 6: Now okay, yeah, well I have no idea what that would be I don't know what. I've never heard daily ritual used in relation to talk radio at all, or particularly to this this station or this network.
Speaker 12: So maybe the station is subliminally trying to override everyone's mind and put that into pons their daily ritual during three aw that's what's going on.
Speaker 6: I would love to say that that's the case, but sadly we're not that clever. We're just not that clever. We'd hope that it happens, but we would, you know, for us to actually go to that sort of effort. Nah, it couldn't happen. We just don't have We don't have the brains to get all that sort of stuff happening. Like there's subliminal advertising, you know, buy a hot dog, buy a hot dog. Yeah, we just don't have We just don't have all that. That's funny though, that's a funny concept. All right, good to chat to you, Sean. I better keep moving.
Speaker 12: Oh thanks, so a good night.
Speaker 6: No take ms. Maggie, David and Karen with you all. Very shortly. I found that article on Jimmy Barnes talking about his sister as well. I'll read that out in the next hour if I can. As well, but to keep the calls coming one double three eight eighty two or one double three six nine three. Maggie is in Adelaide. Morning Maggie, and good morning to Simon.
Speaker 38: Now I have to start off with coughing. Yes, look I have quite a month now had a lot of coughing ding on, and in recent times I've noticed that it's also Yeah, it's happening to perhaps even medical practitioners, to whom might be speaking with the consult on the phone or you people and the likes of view on their you know, there's just so much coughing on not I wonder what that is all about?
Speaker 31: Is that to do?
Speaker 38: Do you think with the weather that we've had experience.
Speaker 6: I think it could be. You know, the changes in weather always bring about illnesses. I reckon when you when you go from being hot all the time to suddenly being cold, I think, you know, the body maybe perhaps just a lowers its guard, a bitten and something sneaks in. So it could be the case.
Speaker 38: Look at it's more and then they'll not not just ton illness.
Speaker 29: I don't think it sit near cop.
Speaker 38: As far as I can see that far. Anyway, I'll leave that one out there also. Now, would you prefer me to talk about the old days of driving down the freeway.
Speaker 6: Or my.
Speaker 38: In Adelaide from handoff to Adelaide where vehicles had no control.
Speaker 16: On the road.
Speaker 29: Or phones?
Speaker 38: Not here but two in my case not here's currently the same sun.
Speaker 24: Which one shall I go first?
Speaker 30: Uh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's go with the driving. I think you are.
Speaker 25: Okay.
Speaker 19: Now, I don't know how for me you are.
Speaker 12: You are with.
Speaker 19: Adelaide.
Speaker 6: I've never had the pleasure of being of going to Adelaide. It is on my bucket list. I'm not one for traveling much, but I've said several times whilst doing this the occasional feelings I do want to go to Adelaide and check it out.
Speaker 38: Yes, oh you must do, must, and just not Adelaide in and around two you know, suth Australia. Okay, So look, this was back, going back decades ago, the Southeastern Freeway as it's now known as, and notorious, particularly when it gets to the interpection of port cross roads, port ross road, crossroad or all that. You may have heard of some of that if you happened, I'll leave that to someone else.
Speaker 27: But earlier on.
Speaker 38: Decades ago, I was striving down that two way. It's only a narrow two way, let's call it a freeway seventies whatever.
Speaker 31: It was.
Speaker 38: From Harndorff to Aglas. I had a brand I was striping a brand.
Speaker 15: New Corolla, right yeah, and all that, and all of.
Speaker 38: A sudden coming down, I had absolutely no control over that car, and I just had to hang onto the steering wheel and steer it. And I didn't want to go down that side, so I steered it to the other side of the road. Fortunately there were there were no no upcoming traffic. Unfortunately, not a stopy pole or a big, big trees to crash into. And all I can think of, you know, I'm just.
Speaker 39: To this day.
Speaker 38: I've got no idea what coursed that I can only but big maybe I saw oil slickle something like that. But then, you know, having had that experience, I sometimes wonder when there's like innocent vehicles, drivers in cars who just veer off the side of a road into a gun tree or whatever. And sometimes it can be fatal.
Speaker 27: Or otherwise, Yeah, it can be.
Speaker 6: It can be just a laps in concentration or as callers earlier said, you're falling asleep at the wheel. You just never know when your time is up. Your time is up, I guess. But glad you survived your incident there, Maggie. But I must move on, so thank you for the call. I do appreciate it is a text here. Can you just highlight that third one, Jackson. I will read other text out as well. Lynette has said, speak for yourself when you say three AW. It doesn't have the brains for it. I'm sure Tom Elliott, Tony Tardio, and Ross and Rouss have plenty of brains. It was a very disrespectful comment, which happens quite a bit with you, Lynette. Thank you, Lynette, thank you for the feedback. But I'm going to stand my ground on this one. I didn't say, oh, every announcer on three AW raving idiot. I didn't say anything along those lines. You perhaps you just misheard me. All I said was a caller suggested that we're using technology to try and encourage people to make ringing three AW a daily ritual, because it was coming up on some people's phones daily ritual. So a caller suggested, maybe we're using that technology, and I've said, no, we're not that clever. So I'm talking about us, not being that the station as a whole, or the network as a whole, not taking the effort to go and investigate technology to try and change the way people behave by subliminally advertising on their phones that they should contact the station every day. That's what I was referring to. So I didn't say Ross and Russ and Tony and Tom Elliott have no brains. So I don't think my comment was disrespectful. It was a lighthearted quip at best. But I'm sorry that you heard it that way, And I just wanted to clarify that because it's I don't I don't like to be thought of as being a disrespectful person. I just I'm just here fors and giggles. That's what I'm here for. So I hope that that clarifies everything, Lenett, and I hope that's okay. Cool? All right? Where we up to David's in Israel? Hi, David.
Speaker 26: Simon, you are pure gentleman, the most respectful person on right. I'm an amazing person. You just made a cute little pipple was really funny. Well, it should be a daily ritual to call the station. But you're right, it should be a daily Richeal to call the station though. You do a good job something, you know.
Speaker 18: I love you.
Speaker 26: You're fantastic.
Speaker 6: No, you're very kind.
Speaker 26: You're on and you brought back Sean twice. And last night Marx FROs Slovakia called you brought back some of the old callers. It's been really nice.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's nice for me to catch up with people too. So yeah, I'm happy with you.
Speaker 26: Yes, yeah, it's good. It's good some of the old sort of the old shames. I think there was a very inspiring comment about the photographs. I've got eighty thousand or something photographs on my iPhone iPhone twelve, so it's not not a super modern one, but it's really to be okay about what four five years old whatever. And the one clever thing about the iPhone is that you can search things. It knows how to categorize things. So if you want to find an old beach scene or an old mountain scene or grandkids, so you just put in and it'll find mountains or beach or leg or trees or whatever.
Speaker 6: I'm I'm not actually fond of it doing that, David. I must say, this is this is where the AI think you've got to ask it to do it.
Speaker 31: I know.
Speaker 6: But the point I'm making is your phone actually looks at what you've taken a photo of and examines it, understands it, and categorize it. So if you say, bitch, it'll find all the photos you've taken of the beach. I don't like the phone knowing what I've taken photos of. It's just it's a mechanical thing. I go snap, that's it. I don't. I don't want artificial intelligence examining what I'm taking photos of. So I actually find that that's a bit uncomfortable for me.
Speaker 26: Yeah, but it can, it can be useful. I've got at home, I've got in albums. I must have thousands, thousands of thousands of pictures and albums. I used to love taking pictures and there was a thrill. You take it to be developed, and you get it developed, and you come back with twelve or twenty four or thirty six. However, old Mini was on the road and the first person who would always want to see my pictures was the developer, you know.
Speaker 6: The oh yeah, get a chemist, or the person who knows.
Speaker 26: That it was the children the chemist, Yeah, yeah, it was the children, not the grandchildren.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you go and pick up your photos and the person on the counter would tell you what a wonderful set of photos you've taken. Yeah again, and now.
Speaker 26: My grandkids come and they look at the pictures of you know, my kids when they were and.
Speaker 24: That was my mother.
Speaker 26: Yeahs an amazing, amazing sort of thing. So I found that conversation very inspiring. Actually it was good. And mine are all backed up to my iCloud. Yeah, my Apple ic cloud. You know, you pay a little bit every money every month and you like drop offs. I don't how to back it up to the drops The ar cloud works well too. Yeah, they're secure.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, great systems.
Speaker 26: So in that respect it's Apple is a good ecosystem. I think it does a good job. I find it and an occasion that you know, in real time and take a picture of granted and then two minutes later it's on your phone.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's amazing to my mother.
Speaker 26: I sent it to my brother and my sister in Melbourne and Sydney, or to my mother in Melbourne, and it's amazing. You can share the moment, you know, you become sort of like it's like being met up. Scottic from Star Check and you know the old series.
Speaker 18: I remember that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, it's amazing how the technology has changed. Thank you, David. I've got to get to a break, but it's amazing that techology that change. I remember having to book a call for my dad to wish his mum back in England a happy birthday. He had to actually book a call with OTC, the Overseas telecommunications company, to actually make a call. Now you just FaceTime someone on the other side of the world see them instantly. It is just it's remarkable how it's changed. Back in a minute, I don't know where the morning's going. It's already seven to one in Perth, twenty three after two in Adelaide and seven to three in Melbourne. Mick is in Copenhagen. Good I Mick.
Speaker 31: Yeah, Hi Simon, and I agree with that previous call you got before. Was it day in Israel? Yeares yeah, Now I just think I agree with him one hundred percent. You're a lovely person and you're funny, you're professional and.
Speaker 6: Yeah, oh that's very kind. That's lovely of you both. Thank you, Mick.
Speaker 24: Have you been now currently?
Speaker 31: I'm actually Dan in Albani. You're at the moment.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, just for a week.
Speaker 31: I come back on Saturday, back to Denmark.
Speaker 6: So what's happening in Albania? Just a little break, is it?
Speaker 31: Or yeah, it's just a little break. It's down in the southern there's a southern town down. Yeah, what's a good game, So Sardinia and it's no Serena. It's called Yes, they are in but it's down very close to the border with Greece. In flat. When I flew down last week, I flew into Corfu and then sailed across nice. Yeah, I've never been to Albania, so i' that's it's a lovely place. I mean, it's Puvis. It's a little where on the poor side, but but they're just very friendly and kind people. And this town here, yeah, the ocean and that it's fantastic. I'll just still got a quick wik down here. And in fact, I think the last time I spoke to you, Simon, was I was in Vietnam, then in Saigon.
Speaker 6: I think that's right.
Speaker 31: Yeah, And if you remember, it was on New Year's Eve and I rang through to you had you said you had a little bit of space on the board, so I rang through and wished you and Fillip all the best and.
Speaker 6: Yeah that's right. That that rings a bell now, yeah yeah, So.
Speaker 31: And then after this song going on, would normally going to tennis camp in October and that's tam this year. We normally do it in Croatia, but this year we're going down to Turkey.
Speaker 6: Now wonderful.
Speaker 31: A little bit so on it and you know, well for you, I enjoy traveling them.
Speaker 6: That a yeah, that's it's marvelous. I wish we had longer, mit because it's been young since we've spoken and had a good catch up. But I've got to get to news. We've got to get a breakout of the way here. If you do want to buzz us back a bit later on, we can have more of a chat about how Copenhagen's going, but I do have to break right own. News is coming up very very shortly. More calls after the news. Chicken Man as well and Rob Smith will join us for the US report ahead of the serial. So it's another busy hour ahead. We've got two and a half more hours to go, or two hours if you're listening, it's six PR because of course you leave us at three for money news.
Speaker 2: This he's Australia Overnight with Simon.
Speaker 6: Owen's Hour number four. If you've just woken up, or if you're just heading to bed and you've popped the radio on and you're wondering, that's not Tony McManus. No, Tony's just off crook again this morning. He'll hopefully be Writer's Rain ready to go on Monday. He is a trooper. He rarely ever takes a time, takes a day off work. He's very devoted to the program, but occasionally you just need to. And his other half has been just a little unwell earlier in the week and it looks like he's courted as well. So Tony's off. I'm in Jackson's here as well. And in this hour, big hour, we've got Chickenman coming up, we've got calls, we've got Rod Smith with the US Report, and we've got the cereal. So quickly knock off a couple of text messages that came through in the last hour. I got my first mobile phone in two thousand and six, around about July. I think it was called a Sagum made in France. Small device but powerful. It had high quality sound. Well that's something that's missing from a lot of phones nowadays. Thank you, John P. My first phone was a was bag phone. I don't know if maybe that was a big phone. I don't know. The brick nineteen ninety two motoroller, says Tommy B. You must have been loaded, Tommy B. To have a motorole back in ninety two probably cost you a thousand bucks back then. Do you remember the person from Sydney who pronounced his love for you last time you're on, Simon, Yes, I do. I'd forgotten about him, to be honest. He was very fond of me. It was very touching, Simon. I was two years old when I got my first mobile, really two. I showed Mummy how to set it up, also walked around talking on it, but no one was there. Peter of Adelaide, Oh that reminds me so Jackson. We've got two birds at my wife's house now, two birds Alexandrine parrots and their intelligent birds. They've got the brain of like a two or three year old child. And my wife in running the basketball club. My wife is always on the phone, like the phone is just constantly ringing, so she's always walking around with her hand up to her ear. On the phone. The bird now one of the birds, the male who mimics everything will often stand there with one leg on the perch and the other one up to his head talking, just making random noises. So his impersonating us being on the phone. So that is brilliant stuff. So thank you for those texts, Simon. I wanted to be an adult movie star, but I never got past the short list though, says Ben. Very funny. That's that's cute. Thank you, Ben. Hi, Simon, I I've already read that one. Simon. You are the You are the nicest person I've ever heard. Sorry, I should have pre read it because I don't like to read out all the complimentary texts, even though there's thousands of them, obviously, but thank you for the very kind words. David of Winchelsea. Karen calls from Altona Meadows ahead of Chicken Man. Hi, Karen, Hi.
Speaker 34: It wasn't those big trip things. I wasn't all that expensive. But it wasn't much good either. Yeah, and then I was converted to flip trops. Over the years, I lost a few. One went down the top. This is not good. And I hadn't think I had run style on and I went through it for a lot of time, and now it's the Apple, which is absolutely fantastic for the bit. Six years, yeah, eight and it just just do so much on it. You know, I've got unimited Paul checks and data and I'm not a plan and it's only a small amount of money and ten months and it's just absolutely fabulous. I'd be lost with at my phone, you know. I mean I've been download usually got like hockkil song and I'll never get bored with the phone, but I'd really be lost without it.
Speaker 6: I play I play a game on mine called toy Blast, which I just I love that game. I've been playing it now for about sixty years. I've never been a candy crushed person, but to toy Blast, that's for me like that. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 34: With cameras, I used to have the disposable cameras.
Speaker 7: You can do.
Speaker 34: Let me go on holidays to get a bit twenty shots. Yes, you should have to should take you to the chemist. And they used to kinder and a couple of those laddies. Good what I used to do. I've had so many photos it's unreal. And we kids go up and everything and any men have the photos of Caken and all in albums and some loose and they're the great things cameras.
Speaker 6: I'm going through, Thank you, Karen. I'm going through Mum's and dad's early photo albums now, scanning all the photos from the sixties that Mum and Dad had in their albums so we can share it among the siblings and we could all have digital copies of it. It's it's a great process looking back over family photos. Thank you, Karen. Graham's in your kind. Hi Graham, how are you going?
Speaker 29: I telling you you've got a voice very much like Steve Collins from Perth. It's on the six pound Perth. I'm very much like it.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 29: I share a lot of things with famous people. John Fogdi he's eighty, I'm eighty.
Speaker 17: Stevie Nix and.
Speaker 29: I shared a birthday on Monday's seventy seven. Everyone knows Stevens next. But Graham the painter in Perth and not a little people and made mag I'm still painting. Actually I'm doing the outside and thought the weather's going to be rotten. But Monday I've got to go into I've got trouble my lama, so I've got to go and look make zilanskill or Zemanski. She's got blood, janthalist what I've got. So I'm getting a minute the hospital on Monday on a pilot program, which sounds very good. So they have ten days of chatting up the nurses.
Speaker 17: That was very hot.
Speaker 29: But mobile phone, It's funny. I started out with the Nokia and I remember I was doing a paint job up.
Speaker 18: On the corner and trigged and I put it on the roof of the car and I drove.
Speaker 29: Off and I went back three minutes later and the damn phe was gone. Somebody picked it up off the road. You know, I couldn't leave it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 29: And then painting, you know DEAs sbeen settler Saddler's.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, well I was.
Speaker 29: I painted the house three Dance And when they were selling it, Willie Portius was the agent and he brought back from America a brand new Samsung that had never been into Australia and he gave it a death span, well death spin. Passed it on to me and I got home and I had it in my jeans and I took the jeans off, threw them in the wash, and about five minutes later, I thought we set phone and I could went to the washing machine. I I've still got the phone because I couldn't repair it, couldn't dry it out. I didn't know about rice in those days. You can stick them in rice. I've still got the damn then.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but if the phone was on when it was in the machine, then it would have shortened out. Anyway, it's yeah, the rise to game. He works. If the phone was off and hopefully no electronics shorted.
Speaker 29: Out, it still looks in good condition. Forget that one.
Speaker 18: Look at you, dumb bugger.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, my wife dropped hers in the mop bucket once away. Yeah she did, but it was it was too late. It was before they were fully waterproof. You know, my wife was chatting on the phone with one hand and trying to squeeze the mop bucket. You know, it's the old ring bucket where you put your foot on it and lift the mop out. And she was trying to lift the mop out and bumped herself and drop the phones right into the bucket.
Speaker 29: Well, I had another one. I was painting this house, and you know those washing machines with a dome sort of lid on them.
Speaker 18: Yeah, and I stuck it on near while I.
Speaker 29: Was playing the frame, and I forgot she'd turned the machine on. All of a sudden it started to the spin cycle next to you. I know, the iPhones on the ground with a smash wins. So I haven't had a lot of luck with phones, you know, but they look at their wonderful. I love technology. I just love it, and I wish i'd had it when I first started painting, because you don't have to drive anywhere. Now they're just send pictures in quota.
Speaker 16: Ou of the phone.
Speaker 29: You don't waste time going everywhere.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 29: The reason the reason I'm still painting at eighty is because I'm a gambler and I better on horses that don't know how to run past the other horse.
Speaker 16: B and fault.
Speaker 18: Yeah, it's all good.
Speaker 6: Well, as long as long as you're able to keep a roof over your head and keep a lid on it. That's the matters.
Speaker 29: I brought up two boys, and I just you know, I lived by myself, and seventy nine is a I got divorced. I brought up with two boys. Well they're not boys. It's fifty six fifty.
Speaker 18: Four now, you know.
Speaker 29: But I still think they're boys, you know. But I wonder where because John Hugh is a friend of mine. I went over and John turns ninety in December, and I said, John, where did almost years a go? You know, how did we get to this? John's ninety? I think Jesus, it goes quick, doesn't It sure does, just disappears. I thought it was only an age, but young people reckon the years go quick.
Speaker 6: Well yeah, look, thank you Graham. I've got to keep moving. But yeah. I opened the show yesterday morning again feeling in for Tony. I opened the show and I was chatting to Jay about the fact that here we are at the end of May, and I still struggle to comprehend the fact that it's twenty twenty five. I always go to write twenty twenty four when i'm writing a date down, so it just keeps on going. Thanks for that. Kenny's in Redcliffe before we get to Chicken Man. Good day, Kenny. Okay, Oh, Kenny's asleep. Either that or he just really likes me. Oh yeah, well that's annoying. That's good. That's good because the alternative you don't want a heavy breathing call from Kenny to Simon it's not what we're looking for, all right. Well, Kenny's asleep, he'll ring us back when he wakes up. California dream and when we think California, we only think of one person. That's Rod Smith, our US correspondent, get A.
Speaker 31: Rod get A Simon, looks like you're on deck this morning.
Speaker 6: I am. Yes, Tony's just a little off color. He's partner's been. It was a little crooking earlier in the week, and it seems that Tony's caught it. So he's taking a couple of days off.
Speaker 31: Well, you know, like, if he takes say, three more days, I'm sure you'll be happy.
Speaker 6: Yes, I'll happily take them anytime.
Speaker 31: Exactly.
Speaker 6: How's things going in California? How's the weather last?
Speaker 31: First off, I was going to say, hey, it's a little overcast today, currently eighteen, going for a tib of twenty two. Look, I'm sure it will progress pretty soon. I'm talking about till the warmer days, because last weekend it was the unofficial start of summer here in California and the United States.
Speaker 6: And yeah, eighteen start of summer. That's not bad. That's well, I don't know. I'm not there to compare a year on year, but eighteen degrees not a bad start for the start of summer. I think.
Speaker 31: Now that's on the coast. Now if you go inland, the temperature goes up another ten to fifteen degrees.
Speaker 6: Oh does it.
Speaker 31: Really very quickly, so you kind of go, hey, it's good to be on the coast.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, craky. All right. Now, so weather aside, what's happening in California, well around the US at this time?
Speaker 31: Well, gen z is now they're signing up for adult one oh one classes their assignment. Now gen Z is con code TikTok in their sleep, but can't really cook rice without looking at a YouTube tutorial. And gen z is they're flocking to this Adulting one oh one. It's a crash course of doing things, and they're desperate to learn what previous generations called common sense. How do you find that? Well, they're trying to, but look, how to do laundry, budgeting for rents, or navigating a grocery store without Google finding out what a turn up is. Now, Adulting one oh one covers everything from healthy relationships to how not to set your kitchen on fire. And look, Simon, I was going to say, do you remember when we used to do home economics in high school?
Speaker 6: I was thinking exactly that. Hello to missus Tyrrell if she's listening my home economics teacher from school.
Speaker 24: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 31: We used to cook things. Yeah, and we had all these stoves in the classroom and you had to cook stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I remember it well. I was never good at it, but I remember it well.
Speaker 31: And some kids used to catch things on fire.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, go to lift a saucepan off. You were just boiling some water on the stove and it was a gas stove, and you go to lift the saucepan off with a tea towel so you don't burn yourself, but you set fire to the tea towel. I think most students did that at some point.
Speaker 31: Well, it was a learning curve, wasn't it, Simon jens Is They're looking to find those crucial lin lessons now. I hope at a one on one helps them.
Speaker 6: Well, I think I'm surprised that they don't do more of that at school. Two of my kids are driving the other to a learning not one of them knows how to change a tire. I had to come and change a tire for my daughter the other day when she got a nail in it, and because I've said to it, do you know where the jack is? And she said, what's a jack? So these sorts of things I think could be useful to be taught in school.
Speaker 31: What are they going to do ring up RACV or NRMA or all the other road organizations.
Speaker 6: Well, what they generally do is ring their parents and say what do I do now? So yeah, but I just you know, so much of school is you know, it's your maths, your chemistry, your sciences, your economics, legal studies. All of those things that you do at school. They're all based around what career you might want to take. And if you don't do well in all of those subjects, school can be a hard thing for some people. I wasn't a great student. I just wasn't very good those sorts of things. But if they were teaching us practical things that we're going to use in life as well, like how to change a car tire, how to cook a tuna casse role, you know, how to put on a wash, and whether you use fabric softener with this thing or that thing. There are things that you could learn at school, and at least you would not feel that school was a waste of time, which for me, I think it largely was.
Speaker 31: Weoll everyday things. They just need to learn them. Yeah, and they're just common sense.
Speaker 6: Yep, absolutely yeah, yeah, Well good on them for signing up for those classes. I think it's wonderful. What else you got for us?
Speaker 31: Now, Look, when you go to swim, you know your brain is going to thank you there, simon, because swimming isn't just for fun. Neuroscience shows it provides a uni brain benefit from just you know, kind of getting rid of stress to improving your memory. Look, last weekend, like I said, was the unofficial start to summer here in the US, and water based activities are really a great way to relax and stay cool. Exercise is good for the brain, as we well know, and psychologists and neuroscientists have covered of a variety of benefits that swimming seas to bride because look, it reduces stress, makes your brain work better, lowers blood pressure, and recent experiments showed that just two minutes has this not even in the water, Simon. Just having a look at some lovely scenery, say waves, you know, crashing on the beach, or just looking at a beautiful lake. It is a great exercise for the mind to for your blood pressure and heart rate. It can have that calming effect which is really good. Look overall, swimming is a great exercise and it makes us happier. So I'm sure Simon, you know after work you'll be a lot happier when you go to swim in your infinity pool and look out to Port Philip Bay from your penthouse.
Speaker 6: Yes, that Carca de Owens. Yes, it's It's what I look forward to at the end of a long, hard shift after my massuse gives me a rubdown as well.
Speaker 28: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Now in seriousness, though, Rod, I've got a I've got a friend who's taken up windsurfing as a hobby, and in freezing temperatures she'll go out and windsurf and I look at her, go, you are insane. You could be sitting in front of a telly keeping warm, and yet you're plunging yourself into the ocean trying to cling onto a board and a sail. But she really gets something out of it, and I think that's exactly what you're talking about.
Speaker 31: Well, if it's working for her, I'm sure it's going to work for other people to.
Speaker 6: Yep, no good advice makes me want to join a gym Monday. Now you've got news on OnlyFans.
Speaker 31: Look, a young woman called Marie Tamara earns millions each year for her six foot three inch stature. Now look she really she's got to just look after her legs.
Speaker 18: That's right.
Speaker 31: They're a great asset. And she makes five thousand dollars a month the assignment. Yeah, she will do whatever it takes. Well, not five thousand dollars a month. Should I say she spends five thousand dollars a month because she'll do whatever it takes to maintain her money making long legs. Like I said, she gets millions each year. I don't know as she does that. In the five thousand dollars, it includes massages, leg facials. What's a leg facial? But that must be keeping the legs nice and smooth to eliminate imperfections, and so she cannot afford to get a bruise, and any imperfection could ruin a photo shoot. But apart from her doing that, you know, you've got to look at other models there simon leg models like she is, ones that will get paid a mediocre price of sixty five thousand a year. Have a catwalk models five hundred to two and a half thousand dollars a show, and then you had the supermodels. They can command high fees of twenty thousand dollars a show. But have you ever thought of being a hand model? Rates for being a hand model there, Simon go from one hundred and fifty an hour to four thousand dollars a shoot. So if you're thinking about what else can I do in life? Well, have there being a hand model? If you've got good looking hands, sign up.
Speaker 6: Well, if ever varicus vains come into fashion, you know, maybe there's my chance.
Speaker 31: That doesn't sure you don't have any there, Simon.
Speaker 6: I know I'm fit and healthy and trim, taut and ria, but that reminds me of Catherine back or Back who was Daisy Duke in The Dukes of Hazard. I remember reading once that during the filming of The Dukes of Hazard, her legs were ensured for a million dollars. I don't know whether that was fake news at the time, but I just remember that being a story.
Speaker 31: I'm pretty sure that was on the money there, Simon.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Rod, we've got a squeeze in a break here where time's really getting away from us. Back with more of Rod after this pleasure when I fell in for Tony to chat to Rod Smith in the US, and Rod, you've got a great story here about an anti aging cocktail.
Speaker 31: Yeah. Look, we always look for that fountain of youth, don't we there to give Simon? But look, ciders have tested an any aging drug cocktail in mice and found it extends the animal's lifespan by around thirty percent. Now the mice stayed healthier for longer, with less chronic inflammation and delayed cancer onset. Now the two drugs are rapper micin and train medendib now both used to treat different kinds of cancer. And these two drugs that scientists were researching could help people to stay healthy and disease free for longer late in life. But both drugs are already approved for use here in the US and also Europe, so further studies are continuing their Simon, not bad to find out about that, because an extra thirty percent goes a good long way, doesn't it.
Speaker 6: Well, it does if the average person's living to eighty or so, you know, an extra thirty percent gives you another twenty odd years there. That's that's quite remarkable. And if they're already available, I imagine it's going to be one of those things like o Zimpic where people just rush out and buy it without even reading the small print.
Speaker 31: Yeah, and find out what the after effects are.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, yes, Yeah, you grow a second ed, but then at least you've got company while you age.
Speaker 31: It's okay, exactly.
Speaker 6: What have you got for us to leave us with? On This Day in music.
Speaker 31: On This Day in Music, nineteen sixty nine, Crosby, Stills and Nash released their self titled album, spawning two top forty hits, Marracush Express and Sweet Judy Blue Eyes. Ninety sixty five, The Beach Boys started a two week run at number one in the US with Helped Me Ronda. Twenty fifteen, Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch went up for sale for.
Speaker 18: One hundred million.
Speaker 31: In nineteen seventy five, Sydney band Hush went and had a number one hit in Canada with Bernie Maroney. It was only a number nine hit in Australia and went to number two in the US, and two thousand and two, Natalie Imbruglia Ossie actress and singer. She was the new face of Laurel, signing up a deal worth one hundred and seventy thousand dollars. And here's his song that went to number one in the US and also Australia.
Speaker 6: Tourn What a great song it is.
Speaker 24: Rod.
Speaker 6: It's always a pleasure to chat to you, Rod Smith with the US Report at this time each and every week, say.
Speaker 25: Naked on the store.
Speaker 31: It says this saving.
Speaker 5: While awakening sex game time, you're.
Speaker 6: Lay well, we're about to hit the four o'clock news if you're listening in Melbourne, if you're in Adelaide, it's about to hit three point thirty. And in Perth, of course it's nearly two am after the news. More if your calls keep them coming one double three six nine three one double three eight eighty two zero four double seven six nine three six nine three if you want to shoot a text through like this one. My internet bill has gone up, My mobile phone bill has gone up. Now tats lotto has gone up. What next? The only thing that hasn't gone up is our wages? Says Marcus Gooresby. Ooh, editorial, sting.
Speaker 2: There now, this is Australia Open Eyed with Simon Owens.
Speaker 6: Yes, Simon Owen's in the chair for Tony McManus this morning. Tony's off crook but he will be back on Monday. Jackson's here as well, and he's ready to take your calls on one double three six nine three. But Gabriel Hodson's been doing news overnight. And Gabriel, I heard you do a story on John Foggerty which I found interesting.
Speaker 11: He's eighty. Can you believe that?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I know that ages us all makes me sad.
Speaker 11: Well, he's going back on tour. He's releasing a new album. But listen, what are the songs that made him famous? He was from Creden's clear Water Revival. Name it couple?
Speaker 6: Oh well you got proud Mary? Have you ever seen the Rain? Then the two Bad Moon Rising, Bad Moon Rizing? Of course?
Speaker 11: Yeah, fortunate son. There's a whole, long, on long list of them. But these were hits over fifty years ago.
Speaker 6: Yes, my parents used to listen to them. That makes me feel younger now, that's good.
Speaker 11: I think mine did too. But listen, I didn't know this, but for most of his life and he's eighty, he hasn't owned the rights to his own songs, the songs that he wrote and made him famous, He doesn't have the rights to them. So he's got them back and he's re releasing them in the style that he wants to do it in. He's doing Taylor Swift swifty, So.
Speaker 6: He's going to re record them. Is he doing like Taylor Swift when she did it? Did it really close to the originals? But they were new recordings. When he says he's doing them the way he wants them, does that mean it's going to be one of those slow ballad albums where he's going to slow them all down and just do it with a guitar.
Speaker 11: Or he's eighty. Look he looks looking at this picture. He looks quite young.
Speaker 6: Doesn't Heah, Yeah, well his head.
Speaker 11: Well, his face doesn't, but the hair does.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's got a twenty year old head of hair an eighty year old face. If that's the best way I'm going to go, I don't mean to be rude, but it doesn't.
Speaker 11: Well it's accurate, you know, but but yeah, I don't know. Look, technology is certainly changed. You might chuck a synthesizer in there or something.
Speaker 6: You know, I just yeah, I just don't know if it's going to work for him to re record them because we've known those classics for so long, like style they are. Yeah, good on him. There's there's always that big debate with the record industry that the recording industry that you know that they sign young artists up who have got great talent, but they signed them into terrible contracts where the artist gets very few.
Speaker 11: Rights here, so many horror stories.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they don't get to keep their masters and all that sort of thing. But at the same time, record companies for everyone John Foggerty and Credence that they sign they would probably run through thirty acts that go nowhere that the record companies invest a lot of money into. So in order for the record companies to actually remain viable, they do need like watertight contracts and to just suck all the finance out of the bigger artists.
Speaker 30: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Look, I guess there's two sides to every story. But yeah, I just can't believe he didn't have the rights to his own songs and it's not like he performed and he wrote them as well, So yeah, good on him for grabbing them back. There'll be twenty songs on this album. He had a hit in the eighties, The Old Man down the Road? Was that the next Yeah, that was his. It was a solo hit, down that one. Yeah, I'm wondering if that'll be on there too, But yeah, I don't know for all the Credence fans out.
Speaker 6: There, and the album's coming out in August or something.
Speaker 11: Something like that, August September.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Okay, Well, we await with interest to hear absolutely how it sounds. Yeah, I should throw open one double three, six nine. Three Artists who have re recorded their songs did it ever work? Leo Sayer, who has moved here from England quite a few years ago. Now, the thing with the wiggle, Yeah, he did the appeared with wiggles, but he did. He did a new album of his old material and it was all slowed down and ballads and it was lousy, I'm sorry to say.
Speaker 11: Still always a disco star, disco legend. Yeah, yeah, disco that sort of thing, and he was great and.
Speaker 6: Had some fantastic hits, but re recording them in the style he did when he he did an album about fifteen or so years ago, lowsy, sorry to say.
Speaker 11: Some acoustic. If a band is very synthesized or has a lot of electronic, you know, instruments in it, I think it's good to do an acoustic version and you go, wow, that song sounds like that, but it's a bit similar, but just slowed down. It doesn't grab me at all.
Speaker 6: Well, there was that MTV series of Unplugged acts. They got ram and some of those, Yeah, some of those were really really good. Aha, did take on Me, but a very slow love ballad version of take On and it's actually really it's a beautiful song.
Speaker 11: I saw them just before the pandemic. They came, they did, They toured Australia and it was a bit will they won't they appear because it was a very you know, the pandemic was sort of getting worse. So I was pretty lucky to see them. But they in one concert they performed three versions of Takeoff Team on Me. Yeah because they had a demo version.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because they really only had two hits.
Speaker 11: So well. Unfortunately, the Powers of Bee didn't release a lot of their material in Australia. They had a lot of hits in Europe in the nineties, even in the early two thousands, none of them were released here as far.
Speaker 25: As I know.
Speaker 6: It's the same with Dave Dobbin, who had hit after hit in New Zealand. Yeah, we only know him really for Slice of Heaven.
Speaker 11: He that's true. Yeah, I did not know he wrote he wrote a Stan Walker song, Welcome Home. I think it was cooled.
Speaker 6: I love Welcome Home. Yeah, that's my favorite Dave Dobbin song. I thought I was the only person in the world who knew it.
Speaker 11: No, will, I don't know it. I just heard that it was a Dave Dobbin song. The version I know is Stan Walkers.
Speaker 6: Okay, No, I've got Dave Dobbins on my playlist. I love it.
Speaker 11: Oh wow, must show me that sometime.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we'll do all right. I should let you get back to the newsroom, but I should Thanks for dropping in with Thank you story, fascinating one double three six ninety three.
Speaker 7: Give us a call.
Speaker 6: We're here for another well another forty five minutes if you're listening through six pr for three aw and five double A listeners until we've got another hour and fifteen. Julian's in Armordale Morning, Julian.
Speaker 18: Good morning, sirs. A lot of speaking of miming were bought out from England. In nineteen sixty two, the Black and White Minstrels show played twice at the long gone Tiberli Theater. A lot of that was mine too.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, yes, it would have been as well. And yeah, you'll never see that again, will.
Speaker 16: You, Julian.
Speaker 18: That was George Mitchell. Minstrels came from the Victoria Palace Theater in London. They only played the Tibili twice. And I think it's been done on TV many giants too.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, lots of black and white minstrel gigs have been shown on Telly over the years. Graham Kennedy even did a version of.
Speaker 18: With Black and White Minstrels. I m brought out by my mother's late employer, mister Boziak. My mother worked with Kenia did she is? And fixture in my friendship? Her standing behind Gene Grouper?
Speaker 6: Is that right? How lovely is that?
Speaker 18: Nineteen fifty three and now they were playing an interview with two classical classical people on the Classical Station about the tragedy of the passing of American pianist William Cappel. You know the story of William Capell, don't you?
Speaker 6: I don't off the top of my head, remind me. I might, but I don't recall. Well.
Speaker 18: He was toured Australia a number of times and he performed his last performance in nineteen fifty three on an Australian tour in Geelong. The next day he was dead.
Speaker 6: Oh is that right?
Speaker 18: Died of that? You've got his history on your on your front there. William Cappel died in air crash near San Francisco in nineteen fifteenth three and that was the last we ever heard of William Kappel.
Speaker 6: At the age of thirty one. I've just looked up now, Yes, born in September twenty two and died in fifty.
Speaker 18: Three, so he's three now. My neighbour, who was born in nineteen hundred and died in nineteen ninety six, remembers Ignus Young Pavdovski, the Polish pianist. This first time a Polish Prime minister had ever come to Melbourne and he played the piano in Colin three.
Speaker 6: Is that right?
Speaker 18: Yeah, Pavdevski? Could you find out when he died? I think it was the nineteen forties and he had a long hair.
Speaker 6: What's what's the name? I'm trying. I don't know how to.
Speaker 18: Smell its young Pavanevsky when he came to Australia, he was had been the prime mini for Poland. Pavanetsky, Pavadisky, pad e w s k I.
Speaker 6: Oh, hang on p A t e w.
Speaker 18: Ki Paradipsky. He's very Polish, the famous Polish pion r. So I've got a record of him from an op stop I got last week.
Speaker 6: I'm just trying to find him. There's a few people, but here we go, Ignancy Padowiski. Yeah, oh, interestingly mustache beard. He had Polish pianist, composer and statesman who was a spokesperson for Polish independence in nineteen nineteen. He was the nation's prime minister.
Speaker 18: Yes, and he died during the early War in America.
Speaker 6: Didn't he died yet twenty ninth of June nineteen forty one. You've got a remarkable memory. I say it all the time.
Speaker 18: You'll be miss Irene next door. She remembers the heyday of Melbourne theaters, like the late doggess Moncreek, who was born in Bundenberg and died in the Old Coat. She saw all the famous people she saw and a Pavlova who performed in the nineteen thirties. He didn't have belong to live, you know, didn't she plover?
Speaker 6: Yeah she did. She die young too, did she?
Speaker 26: Yes?
Speaker 18: She died nine and twenty nine and she's only she wasn't even fifty.
Speaker 6: Oh terrible, Julian. Fascinating stuff. As always, your incredible knowledge just never ceases to amaze me. It's always a pleasure to hear from you when I'm filling in for Tony, and look forward to it next time too. Thanks for the call. Mark is in Cabbage Tree Creek at a Mark.
Speaker 18: Man.
Speaker 24: It's going to be hard to follow that mate.
Speaker 6: He's just got He's got an incredible brain, hasn't he? Mark?
Speaker 24: Well, my thigh's going well. I'm up two hours early, and I've been a little swillow that lives in my roath and I'm just waiting till the sunshine so i can go and do some barrow work.
Speaker 6: Beautiful, So what's on the agenda for today.
Speaker 24: I've got to finish a bit of brick edging. I've got a paid for a water tank that I've fixed up. I've just got to put another meter and a half of sand into that and I have a couple of shots of golf and that'll be it, and and I'll go surfing. Is other identic cap Conran beautiful.
Speaker 6: How often do you surf?
Speaker 24: About? Once every about three times to work these days?
Speaker 6: Keeps you young and fresh healthy?
Speaker 24: Well, I'm lucky, simon. I'm down on the peninsula. I'm down at mornings in these days. I grew up in Blair Garry, so I still serve. I serve mainly Cape Shank and then when I come here, I just serve Conoran.
Speaker 6: Now you have lucky, lucky to have. That's a great hobby. I've got two brothers who surf, and I was just never going to be any good at it. But my two brothers loved it and they're a lot fitter and healthier than I am.
Speaker 24: Well, the main thing is it keeps your mind right. You're with nature. It's very spiritual, and you know it's sixty four. I need to just get wet sometimes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, that's fair enough to it's good for you. I reckon sult waters is just a magical cure for a lot of things.
Speaker 24: Well, it's good for my skin too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well maybe I need that too. I've got dry skin.
Speaker 24: Yeah, well the hot cold treatment, you know, it's still like being slapped by you your wife. Just old treatment.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 24: You just jump in the water and when you get out you're trying to find the zipper on your wet suits. So you just get out of the bloody thing and get in the car and go home and have a nice warm chail maybe, but that one. Actually, I don't have about a cabbage street. I don't have a share or a toilet yet. I must get around.
Speaker 6: Right, Okay, so you're digging holes and hosing yourself, are you well, there's.
Speaker 24: A bit of fertilization going on.
Speaker 8: Ye.
Speaker 6: Right, Well, enjoy your day, Mark, good to.
Speaker 24: Chat, Yeah, good to see Bye.
Speaker 6: Thanks mate, cheers. It's twenty after four in Victoria. In Western Australia it's twenty after two and in South Australia ten to four. Your calls continue after this. Just before we get back to calls, I just want to repeat this. We've mentioned it a couple of times over the course of the night, but as people are waking up this morning, this is for Victorian listeners just an appeal because there is a young girl who has gone missing. Police are currently searching for and appealing for public assistance to help locate missing girl Ivy. The eleven year old girl was last seen in Cranbin North yesterday at about twenty past eight in the morning, so she's been missing now for about twenty hours. Both police and Ivy's family have serious concerns for her welfare due to her age and disappearance being out of character. She doesn't have access to a mobile phone. Ivy is described as being of Asian appearance, one hundred and sixty centimeters tall, with a medium build and dark chest length hair and light blue glasses. She was last seen wearing a navy school uniform and carrying a backpack. An image of Ivy is available for those who have access to Victoria Police website. If you've got access, she can google the picture of her. Anyone who has any sightings of Ivy is advice to call Triple zero and do what she can to assist. I always make a point of saying it's cold out there in Melbourne at the moment, so hopefully she's headed toward. If she's lost, hopefully she's headed toward a warm, dry area like a McDonald's seven to eleven, anything that's open, anything that's got lights on or whatever. So if you're stopping in to get a jam donut or something on your way to work this morning, please just keep an eye out for an eleven year old girl in a Navy school uniform evasion appearance carrying a backpack. Looks I'm reading between the lines with the press release, but they say that she was last seen at eight twenty am yesterday. That was Friday. That was Thursday, so that would have meant she was on her way to school, I would assume. So she never quite made it to school. So whether she got on the wrong barse or something, we don't know. But if you're in the Cranbourne North area or anywhere around there, keep an eye out for Ivy. If you don't mind. Breisa is in Coffs Harbor, get a bresa.
Speaker 39: Oh someone haven't spoken for all.
Speaker 6: No, it's good to hear your voice.
Speaker 18: Well, I didn't expect to be.
Speaker 39: I got up early to go to flua Friday and in costs for suicide prevention mental health awareness. But then I rang up and spake to Jackson and then signs on it and it's all happening, and then you're talking about your two Brothers surfing and there's some things in costs are But this week we have the Newsale Worlds Surfing Championships, and we also have these Australian Touch forty Championships. And more importantly, we have a lady by the name of brook McIntosh running around Australia.
Speaker 31: Leave E Jeff Purse.
Speaker 39: She's been up through Melbourne, Victoria. She just comes with the floods of the Mid North Coast and she's part of the Blue Tree Project of National Charity, which is to raise money for mental health awareness. There's a lot of these dead trees across Australia which are painted as a metaphor for starting a conversation. Anyway, she's in cost for two days.
Speaker 6: So how she is it like riding a unicycle walking at the legs.
Speaker 39: It's running. She's running running, she'll be the fastest woman. She's having to be the fastest woman to circumnavigate Australia. She's left for four end thousand and eight, three hundred kilometers. She's doing like av a day and she was held back by the floods in Tari and everything on the Mid North coast.
Speaker 18: But she's in cost.
Speaker 39: She got the cost last I know when meta and then she and how long one hundred and eighty days, six months.
Speaker 6: She would have legs like Arnold Schwartz nigger.
Speaker 39: It's a weapon anyway, Pat p P had an interview with it today, the Great Pat Panetta.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 39: Probably last night her brother Cam McIntosh played his tournament game for Richmond wee can before last so uh, he's probably not an AFL supported. But she sort of stopped the journey it and then she flew back to Olburn and she made a mistake and ended up in avalon no good book with booking, and she went to see her brother plays Chourn's game for Richmond. So yeah, but she's out there running the pavement every day, Ryan Haleer Shine, she's in costs for two days. A lot of people we got a lot of people in costs, have got he's our surfing Championships, National Touch footy, and we have Brooke macintosh running through town socommodations at a premium base. There's a lot of people in I thought, I just wake up to go down the jetty do my thing of the morning Friday morning at six thirty, and then I heard your voice rang the Jackson, what.
Speaker 10: Bones yeahful one guy.
Speaker 6: Well, glad you called Glad you called Bright.
Speaker 39: Her normal show as well.
Speaker 6: I'll be doing a normal show so for Melbourne listeners of course. So five Double A and six PR don't take my weekend shows. But I'm on Saturday night on three a W from eight till midnight and Sunday night from nine till midnight.
Speaker 39: You're saying your brothers are services. What's your sport of choice.
Speaker 16: Radio?
Speaker 6: Some twiddling sort. No, I'm not not terribly active. I must sadly admit. Tennis was my sport when I was young. Tennis was they?
Speaker 39: So what happened I still playing it?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 6: Well, I I got too old or whatever. I don't know why I stopped. Actually I think I stopped when I got married and moved on to you know, to other activities.
Speaker 39: I guess look at look at Sam. He's about ninety and he's still playing some sort of sport.
Speaker 28: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I would love to get back into tennis. And I talk about this from time to time, and then people say, oh, yeah, there's a tennis club here and a tennis club there. But I'm just I'm actually just too shy to actually ring one. And and of course I work night, so I'll be there during the day, and all of my friends work days. So it's not like I can buddy up with someone and we go and play tennis together.
Speaker 39: So you can make the toughs of tea and the kid coom a sandwiches. Yeah, they do at a tennis club. It's what about croquet it might be good.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, no, I'm not that old yet. That'll that'll irritate some people.
Speaker 39: What about what about Lord Bulls because some of the young guys are cleaning up in the titles. Not only like twenty.
Speaker 6: Two friends of mine Speaking of Perth, two friends of mine in Perth or Lawn Bowls defictees in there, both in their fifties and they've won many tournaments over their journey together.
Speaker 31: So on the greens.
Speaker 6: Well they're in Perth. I'm in Melbourne, so there's a small problem there.
Speaker 29: I just allege it or whatever.
Speaker 39: Just take I'll just take the nine chopper, yeah, the macintos and run across there.
Speaker 6: Yeah exactly, that'll. I'll be fit enough to play by the time I get there. Yeah, that'd work. To get on your bris and good to chat.
Speaker 39: Thanks so and take care of mate.
Speaker 6: Take care cheers. Mark's in Stall Morning, Mark.
Speaker 19: The Morning. So you could always just jump on elboys new brass and take that for a spin.
Speaker 12: The Perth.
Speaker 19: Anyway. Yeah, I was talking to me far Capting yesterday about that bowl again, windmill burning them. I've heard the whole grids off or now, because I just run them in a series. I got from one to one to one to one to the next one and if one, if one's interrupted, the nopals out of about thirty of them.
Speaker 6: So until that one's repaid the rest.
Speaker 24: Power power.
Speaker 19: Yeah, and the worst I have a foive million dollars to build. Wow, that's yeah, a good bit of money just sitting on them.
Speaker 6: Yep, yep, it's not not it's certainly far from ideal. I think we could say.
Speaker 19: Exactly and that very old taxpayers.
Speaker 6: I thought, yes, the on the gym membership thing, Mark, because we were talking about exercise and stuff earlier and I thought, there's a gym, there's a gym near my place. It was with Rod Smith doing the US report. He said, swimming, you know, it releases good chemicals in your brain and all that stuff. Swimming is very good for you mentally as well as physically and I thought, Oh, there's a gym up the road for my place. Maybe I should look. So I bought up the website during the news bulletin, and I just thought, how much does it cost to be a member of the gym? And do you think they tell you on the website. No, you've got to give them all your personal details in your life story before they'll tell you what it costs to get a gym membership. I just want to know because if it's if it's five bucks a week or ten bucks a week, yeah, I'll do it. If it's fifty bucks for week or whatever, no, I'm not spending that much money, So tell me and then I'll decide if I want to join. But I'm not signing up to any that's not going to tell me what you know, I'm not going to hand over all my details and be spammed relentlessly by some jim because they're notoriously hard to get out of apparently once you're a member. So I just can't see myself doing it. So I think they do themselves out of business.
Speaker 19: Oh, I thought you're talking about Jim's now.
Speaker 6: One about what.
Speaker 24: Well you wanted to go?
Speaker 19: He wanted to go and see Jim. You can just ring him up, can't you.
Speaker 6: Yes, No wrong, you know your mate, Take care Cheers twenty seven to five in Melbourne, twenty seven to three in Perth, and three after four in South Australia in Adelaide, keep the calls coming. We've got Arthur after the break, but after that the board is clear. Mondeur, I have got a few things I want to read out, like Jimmy Barnes's story in the paper today, fascinating back in a sec twenty three to five Victoria, twenty three to the three in Perth in Western Australia, I should say, And in South Australia it's seven after four Arthur's in West Footscray, did I Arthur?
Speaker 14: Good morning again, Simon and Jackson, just for you and Bryce about the sports? Who listens to the radio that join the GYP. I'm being sarcastic anyway. You know you mentioned the phones. I've got my mate's mobile phone, the old analog and it still rings on triple zero.
Speaker 6: Really yeah?
Speaker 14: And I asked Marty Fields. He said some people still use them in the rural country areas as farmers on analog. But I said that kind of still works. He said, it's still connected to the tower. I quickly shut off and still I tried one one too, quickly switched off, just to see what happens. But something else I want to bring up. Seeing you're going to mention the story of Jimmy Barnes Tatam mcmahonus mentioned, you know the actor Christopher Lee plaid dragon account yoga. Yeah, yeah, I had no idea doing martial arts for several years in karate and everything, and I checked with Jim who knows my brother and the mate. He was a top martial artist and next special Forces. There was his birthday couple days ago. Tony McManus said, I'm not sure if he's still with us or not, but I had no idea he was a martial artist and next special forces in the military. It's like when you mentioned was an a teal from other side there was an Air Force Parlam and I had no idea about that. I was surprised.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's amazing that the stories that some people have aside from their careers, the other stories are amazing.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Sadly died seventh of June twenty fifteen at age ninety three, So yeah, if he was still alive, he'd be one hundred and three.
Speaker 14: You find out a lot of things on three aw it's incredible, So I guess I'll leave it to many of them. Geen, Jimmy Barnes run. It's just what i'd mentioned that because you mentioned about possessed, but he was just for the movies. But I only found that out just last night. I had no idea. But it's just amazing what you find out.
Speaker 6: Really, Yeah it is, isn't it. Yeah? Fascinating.
Speaker 14: Well, I don't leave you get on with it because I know you've got quite a bit to do.
Speaker 31: Thank you for that.
Speaker 14: I have a great morning, no worries.
Speaker 6: My pleasure. Thanks Arthur Bianco is in adelaide O Bianco.
Speaker 18: Mate, Ye're good.
Speaker 4: Just going back on the Jym story. Yeah, so you want to pay five dollars a week? Did you want a gym?
Speaker 6: Well no, I was just throwing out a random figure. I was basically saying, if it's really cheap, I join, if it's really expensive, So I didn't actually mean five bucks. I think that would be well.
Speaker 4: Under but yeah, yeah, you pay fifty bucks a week?
Speaker 6: I know no way, know couldn't afford it?
Speaker 4: Have I made the wages for the work training you Well, I.
Speaker 6: Don't know, but that's like saying, you know, they should change fifty bucks for a cup of coffee so they can pay wages.
Speaker 38: You know, that's bits out.
Speaker 16: Of the path.
Speaker 4: But now I'm not having a guy, you man, but you know that these guys are going to make wages too, like fifty bucks a week you work it out too, and half rand a year for membership and you can go any time, all day, all week, seven days a week.
Speaker 6: Well, so that's that's the other thing that because I've never actually had a gym membership, so I don't know how these things work. So I was looking at what would it cost me to walk in and go for a swim each day, not really need to interact with anyone, not have a physical you know, not have somebody there overlooking me doing a routine. I don't need a personal trainer, So I understand if I wanted that, of course I would have to pay more, and definitely should pay more. But if I just want to wander and have a swim, you know, And can you get GM memberships where you're entitled to go like twice a week only or is it access all hours? I just don't know.
Speaker 16: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm old, who I'm fifty six years old. I've never been to a gym where there's a swimming pool.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, well that probably answers that question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in Adelaide we don't have swim pools. Gyms just have weights in aerobic sist on that.
Speaker 16: Yeah, YadA YadA.
Speaker 4: Maybe you seek to get a member ship out of swimming pool mate.
Speaker 6: Well, actually that's a good point there. There is a local swimming pool not far from me, but that's a bit further than the local gym. But the gym I was looking at has got a swimming pool. So yeah, so that's what I was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Adelaide. I don't know any gym. I may be wrong, but I don't know any gym in Adelaide they've got a swimming pool sauna far Yeah, no swimming pool.
Speaker 6: No, fair enough. So if you don't mind me asking, So when you go to the gym, do you have like a personal trainer or do you go in classes or do you just wandering and pick up a few weights and do what do your own thing? Never been to a student, simon, Oh you haven't.
Speaker 4: My lad's got to gym and work out, YadA YadA, two or three times a week. Yeah, they've never said there's a swimming pool. But yeah, that's when I have a laugh. Can I do it? I went for ig strying grain export my.
Speaker 6: Doublin beautiful, excellent stuff. Get on your thanks, b A K. Take care of cheers Simon's and colic a Simon morning.
Speaker 10: Yeah good yeah, but summing if you go again, he's got the pool. I could go to where sorry, in any pool we'll have a swim well yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well yeah, if it's a local council pool or whatever then yes, or private business or something, but yeah, but no, just just talking to Roden. He said that swimming is good for you mentally and physically, and I thought I should be doing some sort of exercise more. I do go for a walk. But I thought, maybe it's worth booking into a gym and you know, signing up so I can go for a swim each day.
Speaker 10: Morgan wandering, jump in the pool.
Speaker 21: And go Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I don't know what that costs to go to the local pool either. It's it's all stuff I can check out. It was just random thought I had.
Speaker 10: That's all Yeah, Marke was from that Jim.
Speaker 6: Was he? I thought he was talking about like Jim from West Footscray or something like that.
Speaker 37: He laughed at their fish.
Speaker 6: We got a press release from from Jim Penman, the man behind Jim's mowing. I've got a press release sent to me yesterday. He's suggested that they that the government should create another government department that monitors expenses by other government departments to make sure that government is actually run efficiently. So have a government department that looks over the bills of other government departments and tells him where they should be cutting corners and monitoring stuff.
Speaker 10: And another revenue priz for.
Speaker 6: No no, well, it's just a way of like he said himself, Jim Penman in his press really said many many years ago when he had a government job, he took over a job from a guy who had a government job, and he said the guy's job took him about half a day each week. He could do all the working that he needed to do, so he'd turn up for work five days a week, but if he actually just sat down and went bang plowed through the work, it would take him half a day a week. But it was a government job. So it was a cushy job and you just turn up each day, do a little bit of work, chat with his friends, go out for lunch, and you know. So Jim's saying, you know, we've got a massive bill with the public service, and so he said we should we should be looking at these things and seeing where we can save money, create more work for those who are employed, or reduce the number of staff and make things more efficient.
Speaker 18: Could you do a.
Speaker 10: Play any any excess song that you could?
Speaker 6: Yeah, look, I generally don't play music overnight unless we know if there's no calls and it's a quiet spot in the show, we can always know a song on. But yeah, we've only got forty five minutes left and we've still got a heap of call, so I don't think we're going to get to play one this morning for you.
Speaker 17: Though, well.
Speaker 10: Perfectly one in the ordf.
Speaker 6: We if we get a chance, we'll throw on some in excess for you, but we'll see. I go no promises, I'll have to throw that in. Good on your Simon, thanks for the call. A break back. In a second, Leanne has called from Minna Polia.
Speaker 33: Good morning, Simon and Jackson. A couple of things. Addi Kabrati mentioned Christopher Lee. There's a few facts for you. Christopher Lee has the same birthday as Vincent Rice.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, yep, and.
Speaker 15: Also uh else what else?
Speaker 33: There was another subject. Goodness, I'm just not long op enough. You can go to any pool I hated pool, municipal municipal pool and buy memberships to swim every day, and that might cost you more, I don't know, seventy bucks for a year.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, well that's a lot cheaping.
Speaker 33: The council run pools. They've got heated pools. That's your bishop. Don't go to a gym. I used to swim laps all the time, simon, and it was cheaper to do that unless you want to do the weights and the classes. Don't go to the gym with the pool.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I can't.
Speaker 33: The nearest municipal municipality pool and they usually got a head of one down there, wouldn't they.
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, yeah, there was a local pool in my area.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 18: Also, the gym would be a.
Speaker 6: Couple of minutes drive, or like a five minute drive. The pool would be a ten minute drive. So mind I always say, arguably I should just if I just jog to the gym and back and not actually go in. I get fit.
Speaker 33: Well, why don't you walk to the gym if it's only ten minutes away. Drive, that's not a bad walk.
Speaker 6: Yeah, then I won't need to go in, won't custome a scene.
Speaker 31: I know that feeling.
Speaker 33: Also news in the lead singer of Cool in the Game was killed in the car cross yesterday today or yesterday in the state Michael Stummler.
Speaker 6: Okay, I hadn't heard that.
Speaker 33: Yeah, it is said, Yeah, not.
Speaker 14: Not good at all.
Speaker 33: What else was it? Pool covered, the pool covered the desk and Christopher Lee. Yeah, I saw a clip on Facebook or Google the other day that Christopher Lee and Benson prized both brilliant in the horror the same birthday.
Speaker 29: I thought that was quite interesting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, given they're both very similar in terms of both actors, both horror movie stars, and quite similar joint date of birth makes it even better.
Speaker 15: Yeah, well famous genre to.
Speaker 33: Yeah, not about it.
Speaker 6: I think I'm going to go back to bed yesterday and we'll enjoy your day to day and I'll speak to your scene.
Speaker 22: Yeah, Ok, thanks, take care, cheers.
Speaker 6: Jim's in West Foots. Get a Jim, Good morning.
Speaker 27: Simon and Jackson. Yeah cool and the Gang A great band. I love them. They also had a few other hits like Ladies Night and yeah of course you know, celebration and another song that mentions to get you back up against the wall. But that's not what it was called, but that's what they used to say, a very popular one. I've forgot them a proper name of it. But you're talking about your first mobile phone earlier, Yeah, Simon, I've had many mobile phones over the years, mock ears, flip flip phones are all different brands. My current ones one Optus and one Telstra. I've always had two phones since I moved here, since I discovered the reception. My you know, which is the last one, has many dropouts sometimes but very unusual phone. My first mobile phone I bore, well, it's called the Moto phone. There was m O T O F O N and I actually when you said your first phone, I thought, I think I still got the the instructions, and that's I had to look in my other room.
Speaker 16: I found it.
Speaker 27: It's had a portable charger which I found in the realm tube by Moto roller and that was called the black and white phone, but had had speaker phone, alarm clock. Yes, the mass ring tones way back then, from years ago. I don't know if anyone's ever heard of her all that, because I I've got a doctor friend who sold it to mere thirty five dollars, brand new of the time, and I had all those features, and I found I've still got the charger for it that had a portable charger on one you can take anywhere, but you charge a black one, and I've still got the instructions. But the phone is not inside, so I must have it somewhere else.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yeah, it'll be in the bottom bottom of another drawer somewhere, probably with the wrong charger with it. That's what usually ends up happening.
Speaker 27: I found the charger to this one is still in there, the portable one that you can charge and carry with you anywhere, and the instructions are in it, not the phone, so the phone must be somewhere else. I've had push buttons, I've had them, and the best one I ever had, I can't remember the brand. It was a flip phone.
Speaker 18: I can't remember.
Speaker 6: Probably Ericson. Ericson had really good little flip phones. I had a little blue one. It was a cute little thing. They're great. Good on your Jim. Thank you. I've got to squeeze another breaking before news, so appreciate the call. We will break and come back and a couple of text messages just ahead of news and then say goodbye to six PR. Right, our news is coming up. It's about to hit five o'clock in Victoria in South Australia four p thirty and in Perth it's about to hit three o'clock on the other side of the news in Perth. Farewell to you at six PR. It's been good fun this morning. Thank you for having me in your homes. You'll be joined by deb Night with Money News on the other side of the news for five double A and three AW listeners and other affiliated release stations. We'll be around for another half hour before we hand over to the breakfast shows. So we want your call still one double three six' nine three is the. Number you can also text zero four double seven six nine three six nine. Three Hi. Simon just as a guide my local council as your center has CASUALS wwhim sessions for just under fifteen dollars for. Adults that ex gives you access to the pool saw Nut spa and Steam. Room Thanks.
Speaker 2: Tom you're listening To Australia overnight With Simon.
Speaker 6: Owens, yes it's the last half hour of the program this. Morning jackson is here as. Well we're taking your calls on one double three six nine. Three tony mc will be back On. Monday he's just off because he's a little. Unwell little cold's going around and one of them's managed to tackle. Him, now just before we get back to. Calls in the papers this, morning in The addie and also in The Herald, sun there's a story On Jimmy barnes written By James. Wigney AND i won't read the whole thing because the whole thing will take about ten minutes and that would be unfair on the papers because they're the ones who did the work on the. Story But i'll read you a little bit BECAUSE i find this. FASCINATING a childhood scarred by abuse and, violence years of battling, addictions and recent life threatening health, issues the extraordinary life of Rocker Jimmy barnes has had more than its fair share of. Horrors after two, memoirs a couple of collections of non fiction short, stories a kid's, book and a, cookbook with another coming this. Year The Cold chisel frontman and solo singer has now turned his hand to writing a. Novel and you guessed. It it's a horror story inspired by an otherworldly incident he said happened when he was a child growing up In South. Australia it's a horror, story but it's based on my, Life barnes, says, animatedly sitting in a boardroom in his record Label's melbourne. Office my Sister, linda who passed away a few years ago when she was thirteen years. Old she was possessed AND i was in the. Room the Way barnes tells it is his sister was larking around with some friends whilst Using luigi board while he sat terrified in the next. Room she ran at the wall and smashed her head and, face blood and, everything he. Recalls she picked herself up and was running into the other, wall And, mum who's pretty, tough came running in and held her. Down And linda was pretty well frothing at the, mouth and she was talking weird stuff that didn't even sound like her. Voice doctors were, called spiritualists were, involved and all manner of spooky events. Ensued barnes says his sister was troubled till the day she, died but it gave him the germ of an idea for a story that mirrors his own life by starting out In scotland and then moving To Port. Adelaide so that's the start of that article About Jimmy barnes and the day his sister was. POSSESSED i don't REALLY i think there's a talkback topic in it where you possessed one double three six ninety. Three, NO i don't think that's going to take. Off BUT i just read that AND i, thought, well that fascinated, me it might fascinate. You so there you. Go kevin is In. Sunshine, Hi, kevin Morning.
Speaker 40: Simon just on the subject of accurate facts and. Housekeeping IF i, May i'll Make brisia from The Northern, climb sporadic caller and contributor to the. Program he's got to be kiddened himself when he said that Rak on tour, entertainer, singer, champion former, footballer three aw employee and visitor from time to time was about ninety years of. Age he's got to be kidding. Himself not even close, mate not even.
Speaker 16: Close i'm.
Speaker 6: LOST i must, Admit, kevin who was he talking?
Speaker 40: About he told you That sam newmanan was about ninety years of?
Speaker 25: Age all, Right, YEAH i don't.
Speaker 40: Know and that went straight that went straight through to the studio. Keeper, Yeah i'm right through to the studio.
Speaker 6: Keeper, WELL i must ADMIT i don't know how Old sam.
Speaker 40: Is but, well do you want me to tell?
Speaker 6: You if you've got the, knowledge, yeah share?
Speaker 40: It, yeah, yeah because maybe it comes. Up i'll google from time to. Time Sam newman is seventy nine and a. Half, okay, yep so that's a long way off burned.
Speaker 6: Ninety but What's kevin? Really you're nitpicking a, bit aren't. You what's the problem with?
Speaker 40: It he's doing it all the. Time he's doing it all the.
Speaker 6: Time so you're having to go With briza because he took a wild stab At Sam newman's.
Speaker 40: Agent gone now was it was pre planned and?
Speaker 6: Delivered oh so So bryce is Attacking? Sam is? Is oh you've hung, Up. KEVIN i always thought we had quite a good. Relationship we could have an adult discussion without having easy fit just because we, Disagree, kevin you don't need to hang up and go off. SOOKING i didn't Detect i'd like.
Speaker 31: That, NO.
Speaker 6: I just breezed through life without really caring much about. Anything BUT i didn't Think bryce's call was in any way degrading To. Sam if he listed all those things That sam, did you, know achievements in his, life well it's hardly an. Attack SO i really don't know what's up your, Ask. Kevin so, anyway have a, rest give me a call back another day when you're not going to have a hissy fit and run off just BECAUSE i disagree with. You mark has called From Cabbage Tree. Creek god A. Mark well you're, There, Mark, no we've Lost. Mark that's all, right doesn't. Matter it is a twelve after. Five we've got room for. Calls if you want to give a, call you're more than welcome to do. So one double three six nine. THREE a couple of other text. Messages further to kids not knowing how to change your. Tires, so, yeah we were talking about this earlier with. Schooling basically that you, know it was made the suggestion that maybe we used to have home economics as a class in, school AND i think that was, good you, know, learning learning life, lessons learning stuff that's actually going to help you get through. Life AND i mentioned that my kids didn't know how to change a. Tire, further the kids not knowing how to change a, tire why don't we make them a part of getting a driver's, license do a six month course that teaches them to change a tire, safely check the oil and, water tire, pressures all the, basics and also a defensive driving course as well as the important of, speed drugs and alcohol whilst. Driving if they complete, this they can get their license at seventeen or seventeen and a. Half that's not a bad, idea, ACTUALLY i quite like. That well done to, You agent five four. Four, now prior to the, news we're also talking about gym memberships and the, like because we were chatting With Rod smith doing THE Us report earlier and he mentioned a story about swimming and the joys that can come out of swimming being both good for you physically and, mental and SO i was, saying you, KNOW i should consider joining a gym or local swimming pool or, whatever BUT i don't know what the cost. Is michael has texted another, Option simon is to buy a few free weights and a bench, press then you don't need to go to a. Gym it pays itself, off as gym memberships these days are. EXPENSIVE a good, Suggestion. MICHAEL i don't have a room for any of that equipment though in my House i've got no space. Whatsoever eighteen dollars ninety a week At BURANDARA ymca for a swimming, membership or eight dollars thirty for a casual, swim Says agent five eight. Zero thank you for that. Too your text to welcome zero four double seven six nine three six nine three quick break back with more of your. Calls kevin apparently rang back and isn't happy with my. COMMENTS i don't, Care. Kevin i'm sorry to report on that YOU i don't think behaved terribly well. Tonight if you want to bring in on my show and have a crack at another, caller Then i'm just not with.
Speaker 31: That.
Speaker 6: Sorry So i'm not going to apologize for my behavior toward. You you hung, up you didn't continue the. Conversation that's your, choice not. Mine so you can ring back and Tell jackson THAT i can get. Stuffed well, fine it really doesn't upset me at, all and thank you for all the texts coming through as. Well very kind of. YOU i won't read them all, out THOUGH i will read a couple of. Others matilda's Versus argentina. Tonight according To, Bruno Melbourne victory And Melbourne city All VICTORIAN Gf. Saturday because it's a, roundball there's very little. Coverage, yes that is, True bruno soccer does take a back seat TO afl in these particular. TOWNS i won't read, that but thank. You some people don't even know this is on the kids and life. Lessons some young people don't even know how to do, dishes to wash dishes and rinse them properly without a dish washing, machine Says agent seven eight to one And allison and Keel Or, Park, Hi, Simon i'm a member at Keel Or East Leisure center AND i pay twenty two dollars a week AND i can do as many group classes Les mills or Lay. MILLS i don't know what that, means AS i like an unlimited use of their free. Weights jim been going there for. Years thank, You, allison very. Kind breiser's In Coffs, harbor But Hi breiser.
Speaker 18: Back again the right to.
Speaker 39: Reply but BEFORE i get to The KEVIN' i, reply just a bit bit of a guide to. ME i pay fifteen dollars a, week no, contract, unlimited twenty four to seven for a big gin in. Cost so that's a bit of a Stand for fifteen dollars.
Speaker 16: A, week that's.
Speaker 39: Good twenty four to seven access will give you it of a. Guide and they're all very competitive now about doing. Deals they're going off the contract way if you need. To so if you go three days a, week five dollars a, business, yeah that's pretty.
Speaker 16: Good.
Speaker 39: Yeah back To, KEVIN i think maybe he's like the Other, kevin like no sense to. Humor Basically i'm not really. Random hang, on hang, on hang, on hang.
Speaker 6: On just don't you have a crack At, kevin BECAUSE i just told him if having a crack at, You i'll crack it With kevin WHEN i think he's out of. Line but CAN i just ask, you did you did you mean to say something bad About? Sam just for, CLARIFICATION a jake like a.
Speaker 39: But it's a human. Type but we all know That sam is like in the media all the time and he's not. Young BUT i just threw that up Ninety but maybe he's a sad human.
Speaker 6: FAN i don't, know but, Well i'm A Sam newman. Fan i've Met sam many times over the years, Here we've cross bars in the. Building we've had him on the show quite a few. TIMES i think he's. Fabulous i'm a big fan OF.
Speaker 31: I was seeing.
Speaker 39: Tennis he Plays tennessee interrested up in playing.
Speaker 29: Tennis he still plays.
Speaker 10: Tennis you do With?
Speaker 18: Kevin call?
Speaker 39: Me you Know i'm not random, Ass but.
Speaker 6: No, no all, good all, Good all, right good on your. Riser, thanks thanks for, that appreciate the, call and thank you for. Clarifying, yeah it was just a lighthearted. Things so there we. Go what have we? Got, Oh i've only got a. MINUTE i was going to read something else, out BUT i will just quickly recap. This police are appealing for a help to find a missing. Girl ivy has gone. Missing she's an eleven year old. Girl last scene in Cranbur North so this is For victorian. Listeners last scene in Cranber north on the twenty ninth Of may at about twenty past eight in the, morning so that's now twenty one hours ago she went. Missing both police And ivy's family have serious concerns for her welfare due to her age and her disappearance is out of. Character she doesn't have access to a mobile. Phone she's eleven years of. Age asian appearance one hundred and sixty centimeters, toll with a medium build and dark chest length hair and light blue. Glasses she was last seen wearing A navy school uniform and carrying a. Backpack an image Of ivy has been released and it's on the police Website vicpole dot com DoD. AU i think it. Is if you just google Vic, pole it will come up if she's known to frequent The Cramber north. Area but if she went missing in about twenty past eight in a school, uniform Then i'm reading between the lines to see that she's on her way to. School so maybe she's caught the wrong. BUSS i don't know what it would, be but if you see, her if you're in The cranbourne, area keep an eye out please and if you see a, ring trip low and let them know immediately so we can get her back together with their. Family appreciate any. Help before we, Go rory AND i would like to leave you with a little something to think about a little philosophy.
Speaker 41: Exactly So i'm going to read you something from The book Of. Wisdom it says here a wise man once said he that lives not well one year sorrows seven.
Speaker 6: After or whatever that. MEANS i know exactly what's he talking.
Speaker 7: About he's an, idiot.
Speaker 9: Exactly please respect me in the.
Speaker 41: Morning AM i reading for The book Of?
Speaker 6: IDIOTS i don't know what's.
Speaker 41: Happening don't tom be When i'm gone joining if you like, again, buddy you know the things you.
Speaker 3: Say will be turned against yourself. Something don't talk about me When i'm. Gone, goodbye.
Speaker 6: Goodbye Now i'm on my way.
Speaker 41: AND i don't care what you say.
Speaker 6: Here i'm going, Home.
Speaker 28: So respect me.
Speaker 3: More, joe discuss me.
Speaker 6: Where i'm gone.
Speaker 41: Here it's not, Nice chris OR i hate something down.
Speaker 7: There joe talk.
Speaker 6: Where i'm. Gone, WELL i don't know about, you But i've had fun the last two mornings filling in For tony. McManus he'll be back On, monday bright and shiny and wide eyed and ready for. Action thank You jackson for all you have done this. Morning it's been good to work with you.
Speaker 7: Again pleasure working with you as, well and.
Speaker 6: Thank you to everyone who, called texted and even just we also got a couple of EMAILS i didn't get to read as, well but thank you for. Those it's just lovely when you all take part in the program makes it a lot easier for. Me otherwise it had just been me prattling on and no one really wants to hear. That so good morning to you. All your breakfast shows are up. Next good morning to you, all and thank you for the pleasure of your.
Speaker 5: Company were standing say.
Speaker 16: That said?
Speaker 6: Something this has not been a grunty television production for the nine. Network Pete smith speaking