Speaker 1: On Perth six PR. This is Perth Today with Simon Beaumont yesterday.
Speaker 2: Good morning. I hope you're going well. Thanks to Millsy and Karl and Tracy, Nlana and the team. Jimmy Key's over there will be here until one o'clock today. If you like the phone in, you can one double three eight eighty two. Thanks for listening in. For all the people listening on the app, thank you. I know there's a lot of you and we do appreciate that and that gives you that I guess the option of texting the show. If you're listening to us on your phone, on your electric telephone, zero four eight seven triple nine eight eighty two is the text number. I've got a yes no question for you in just a second, and to do with a wash up from the Woodside decision yesterday. I'm going to ask you a question and it's around what do you think the protesters will do from here? I talked to Milsey about it a little bit and now a little crossover today, what do you think? I'll ask you a yes no question on the on the hardline activism that the Woodside protesters have been undertaking, because it hasn't worked. He hasn't worked politically. I'm not sure it's worked in terms of community support given what we've heard. But you know, as we know, sometimes on these issues there can be a silent majority. But we will go to that in just a moment. Also on the program today, Law Talk with Nick Maruchak from MKI Legal. Melkritle will join us from the swan Borne Vet Center to talk about your beloved pets. And Steve Gilby the former frontman of the Church, bass player, singer, songwriter Steve Gilby will have a chat to us a little bit later on Steve's playing in Perth tonight out at the Civic, So we'll have a chat with Steve in just a second on the program. Want to try and clear something up first off, if we could.
Speaker 3: Right, let's clear this up once and for all.
Speaker 2: Yes or no? Is it over for the Woodside protesters? Is it all over? After Murray? What the Federal Environment Minister in yesterday in principle get backed the gas producer Woodside in looking to extend the lease until twenty seventy with some conditions, of course, what do you reckon? Is it over for the protesters? Yes?
Speaker 4: Or no?
Speaker 2: I don't think it is im and no on this one. What do you reckon? Is it over for the protesters? So the anti activism, the anti Woodside activism has been ferocious, it's been sustained. Here's a chronology. Here's a quick rundown of some of the major hardline activism headlines, if you will. Going back to November twenty twenty one, the protests started against Woodside sponsorship of the Nippers. Nippers are the little kids that do serve life saving and Woodside Nippers is on all their little shirts that they wear at surf on Sunday mornings. So that's when it started. That's the first time I can remember it starting November twenty twenty one. In September twenty twenty two, Woodside Echoside gets played somewhat surprisingly to those of us who were there at a midnight oil concert. It was a song and for about five minutes, and it ended with a slide with Pete Ga pointing to a slide up on stage which said here's mart McGowan's email, his rees Whippy's email. He was the Environment Minister. So that was September twenty twenty two. A year later, in twenty three, Dockers fans down at Fremantle, Freemantel Dockers supporters, Alex Hillman, Dale Kickett, Jered McNeil, Jill O'Shaughnessy, Hello Jill if you're listening. Carmen Lawrence, just to name a few, protested that Frio was sponsored by Woodside. That was in September twenty three. January twenty twenty three. Frederick mccobbin's Down on His Luck one of our most famous paintings of all time, Australian paintings all time. Down in this loot was the Face at the Art Gallery by Desmond Blurton and a ceramic artist called Joanna Partika. That was twenty three point being. The activism has been sustained and unrelenting. You could argue, you give what we saw yesterday, it hasn't worked. August twenty twenty three a gang of four go to Meg O'Neil's house and a charge with attempted trespart in criminal damage Matilda Lane Road, Rose, Jesse Noaks and mil Davis and Gerard mass Masa and they pleaded guilty and received fines. So my mail on this is that it's been sustained, unrelenting. They've been painting Woodside as the environmental death star, and I will not. Of course, it'd be only fair to notice that earlier this year Woodside inadvertently dumped sixteen thousand leaders of hydrocarbons up near x Mouth into the ocean that he's being investigated. But my male is that the decision yesterday was unexpected and has rattled the big hitters in the activist movements. The timing caught people by surprise, Murray Wat's timing and the clear cut nature of the Murray What decision has rattled people. So you can argue that the activism hasn't worked. The hardline tactics haven't worked. Politically, I'm not sure if they've worked in getting community support from people like myself and older West Australians. The push to get people like Kate Hewlett into State and fees Parliament hasn't worked either. So what next? And do you think it's over? Let's sort that it's out. Is it over? Yes?
Speaker 5: Or no?
Speaker 2: Is it now over? For the Woodside protest is what are they going to do now? Is the drilling in the brows basin the new the new battleground one double three eight D two. Thanks for listening in today, Ray says, your guest is Steve Kilby with a K, not Gilby. I'm sorry if I said Gilby, Ray, I really like Steve Kilby, always have Steve Kilby on the show. A little bit later on, Let's clean this up. So I must have said it because Greg said the same. Sorry Greg, Sorry, Ray yees, Steve Kilby. Sorry, everybody, absolutely right. I stand corrected. Let's sort this out. Is it over for the Woodside protest? Is the noseer two and the yeses of a one? Let me know today. Meg O'Neill, the head of Woodside, is still in Queensland at that convention. At that conference and she spoke about the rock art on the bar up yesterday.
Speaker 6: We have a very strong working relationship with the Merjigga Aboriginal Corporation. We've worked closely with traditional custodians for more than forty years now, and whilst we haven't always gotten it right, we have very strong working relationships now and we support the World Heritage listing and we believe industry and heritage can coexist. I'll leave it to the state and the federal government to comment on.
Speaker 2: The UN report. That's mega O'Neil yesterday, so there's more to come here. I don't think I'm a no on this. I reckon it's not over for the Woodside protests, as they will keep going. They'll probably changed tactic, they'll probably get more creative. It hasn't worked, hasn't worked politically. I'm not sure if it's worked in terms of community support either. Ken from Southern River Good Kim. Yes, it's all over Red Road for the protesters, Thank you, mate, Aleen. The voice of reasons is no, it's never really over professional protests and activists. They'll continue to highlight their cause and whatever way they can. Thank you. A lean Paulice is back in two thousand and nine. Under the Milky Way by the Church has both of the best song for the past twenty year. It was poorly Sorry for saying Gilbert, everyone I stand corrected. Gabby Hi Gabs, He says sadly, No, she's a no. Fiona says, has Carmen Lawrence swapped out her gas stove? Yet not a bad question? One double three eight eighty two is the number of the text number zero four eight seven triuble nine eight eighty two. Peter says yes. Roy Orbison had a hit called It's over. It's one to hear from Lee. Why are you promoting protests as a decision has been made the majority support that we need. It can't live under constant protest by minority groups. Law needs to apply to these vandals. Thanks Lee. In Mandra it does, Mate. So you know these guys are getting pinged. I think one of them is in court this weekend or this Friday on a some stink bomb activity. It's it's the biggest climate issue in Australian politics, Lee at the moment, and I'm just wondering what they're going to do next. It's been you know, they've been on about this for four or five years, hardline activism. Mark says no, but I wish it was no. This is Jacob Hey, Jacob Green Labor voted with landslide state and federal. Certainly in the Upper House Jacob, they were Mate. Thanks for your correspondence today. Yeah. Taking the poll today, is it over for the Woodside protests? A lot of people saying no, that they will keep Goingay Zenoy.
Speaker 7: Mining Simon, how are you very well?
Speaker 2: Mate?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't believe it's over at all. I wouldn't trust that Minister Murray Wood as far as I could throw him. He's destroying lives, sheet trade in wa and until he's given that the ultimate green light, I reckon.
Speaker 8: We haven't got a real apprival yet.
Speaker 2: No, that's a good point, Zeno. It is subject to conditions. Thank you mate, so xeno not trusting Murray wad in this regard. Trina of Mainland. Hi, Trina, thanks your thoughts. I think most of us are just blown away by the timeline. Granted until twenty seventy, that is a very very long time since Trina, it is Trina, and I did think Murray what would pull back on it. I'll still get a messages of saying it's Steve Kilby. I know, I know it is, and I can't believe I said Kilby. I apologize unreservedly. Steve Kilby will be with us a little bit later on front Man for the Church, one of the best, the bloke he loves playing the basin and making the roof shake. Excuse me, thank you for listening. In Wonderble three eight to eighty two will come back in just a moment. What does it mean the decision yesterday by Murray? What it is conditional of course, based on Woodside doing the right thing by emissions and some other environmental conditions have been put on them. They've backed away from being involved in areas near scott Reef. The Heritage listed scott Reef. So we'll find out. We're going to talk to the CCI, and there's a going to talk to a fellow who reckons, a guy Alex Hillman, and he's going to talk about corporate responsibility and what this means for forwood Side to have a social license to operate and for their corporate responsibility there. Now the decision is likely to be made. Thank you for listening, he said, over for the Woodside protesters that nose are ten and yes are three back in a sec yesterday on the program and we had Adam Horton, he's the opposition spokesperson on matters policing, and he called me Shane and people. Jack you're very funny, he said, Hey, Shane, it's Kilby, not Gilby. Thanks Jack, that's funny, well remembered. Sorry everyone, Steve Kilby on the show a bit later. Thanks for your correspondence today. Sue Hi, Sue, she's as much I wish it was over. They never give up. They'll just come up with some other ridiculous plan, this one here from bev Hip Bev No. I don't believe it's over for the protesters. These xelots will find another way to upset people. They need to take a hard look at themselves, you know. And I've mentioned this a few times. It's not a bad chat to have, is it about the use of fossil fuels. I have been completely perplexed and amused about how hard they've gone on Woodside, and I would make the point that it arguably hasn't worked. And I do know they're a bit rattled on this, the protesters. They're wondering what they can do next. Is it the Brown's basin? Is it the battle for Julian? The Browse basin is the that is the next battleground? What is yesterday's What does yesterday's decision mean economically? Aaron Moore is the chief economist from the Chamber of Commerce Industry, joins me. Now, could I Aaron.
Speaker 9: Good I Simon or should I say Shane? We'll go with Simon.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Poor blokes his first interview with me as well, so he was remorseful. So what does this mean? And this is conditional, so it's not it's not across the line yet. Can you have you got some metrics on this for us?
Speaker 9: Oh, look, this is a matter that sits with Woodside at presently. It's a standard part of the regulatory procedure that the Minister would come back with some conditions. I assume and would be surprised if Woodside weren't working through those issues over the coming days and then issuing a response.
Speaker 2: To the Minister.
Speaker 9: But you know, I trust and hope that all is in order and that will get the absolute final confirmation in the expected time period.
Speaker 2: Is the Browse base in the next part of the argument that still hasn't been approved as it aired, so we've got you know, the lease in the contract has been extended up until twenty seven conditions notwithstanding. Is Browse the next sort of battleground you.
Speaker 9: Think, Oh, look, and again look, this is a matter for the company. I mean, here's the important thing. Signon global capital is more mobile than ever and we just can't assume that further investments of that nature and that particular one that you refer to are some sort of fate of complete. We're seeing jurisdictions around the world realizing the critical role of gas for the energy transition, and to keep prices down for consumers and households, and so you know, it's incumbent upon not just companies to ensure that the conditions are in place for those sorts of investments, but the governments as well, to ensure they have regultory and tax settings that are conducive to making those sorts of those sorts of investments. Personally on behalf of the w economy and the small businesses and the households that exist in this day. I do hope that investments of that nature occur in the future, but we can't just assume that it will happen without good, constructive, effective government policy that encourages that sort of investment.
Speaker 2: Aaron, you did cci get to meet with mister Watt when he was here a couple of weeks ago, and were you surprised at how quickly you made this decision.
Speaker 9: Yes, we did meet with Minister what and we appreciated his constructive engagement on the issue. He didn't speak with us to any any detail particular about the Northwest Shelf decision. Due to the sensitive, sensitive nature. We noted to the Minister why we thought it was an important project to go ahead. But he was very professional and careful and guarded in his comments and so we had no insight whatsoever into the decision. Look, he had to make the decision by Saturday. I assume that the decision had been made internally within the government. Now they just decided that rather than ongoing speculation that they would make the announcement yesterday.
Speaker 2: There's economics in this, and this is why we're talking to you with there's some politics in this as well. Can you reflect on why you think Albanezi and what have done this at this time and so quickly?
Speaker 9: Oh? Look, I think, as I said before, there's just a growing realization around the critical role that natural gas will play in the future economy. It's going to be absolutely vital for providing affordable and reliable energy in the energy transition. We've seen what's happened in Spain and Portugal in recent weeks and months where power systems are under increasing strain due to renewables rollout, and renewables have an absolutely critical part to play in the future of the grid and we absolutely welcome more investment in solar and wind into our grid. But if that does not occur alongside additional additional supplies of natural gas, then affordability and reliability will suffer. And so I think the federal government pragmatically recognizes that. And beyond that, it's just so critical to the future of our economy. If we look at, say, for example, the explosion in the investment in assets like data centers to underpin artificial intelligence, well, we want Western Australia's economy to grow and diversify and it won't do that without access to those sorts of investments. And those sorts of investments require enormous, enormous quantums of energy, and so we're not just looking at energy transition across the world, we're looking to it. We're looking at a great energy addition. There's going to be so much more energy required. And if we want to be a modern, thriving, successful economy that generates fantastic jobs for kids in remote communities and into the cities as well, then we need to be leaning into our natural advantages and what a competitive advantage it is to have an asset like the Northwest Shelf within our economy. And so that's why we're so excited about the decision.
Speaker 2: All right, Aaron, thank you very much for talking to us today. Thanks you time. Thanks to Aaron Maury. That's interesting, isn't that? It's the mobility of global capital is interesting. So we know that China is part of this argument. We know that America is China needs gas, and the PM himself earlier this week used the phrase firming capacity, which is around our ability to access natural gas in energy production until such time as we transition into renewables. One double three two, Dean says Simon. Peter Garrett protesting against Woodside. He should shut his gob, says Dean, and Dean goes on a little bit about when he was Environment Minister. This is Peter Garrett from September twenty twenty two. I was there this surprise quite a few of as I think.
Speaker 10: Everything else is secondary, secondary to the way that we treat the planet and one another.
Speaker 2: So that's the song echo Side Woodside that just popped up in the middle of the song list, and you know, some people like it, and some people said, mate play play beds of burning or place up else. But that's you know, that's when I really started to take notice that the protesting against the nippers, protesting against at the midnight all concert going to Meg O'Neil's house facing mccubburn. I don't know how all that went down. One double three eight Edy two is the is the phone number? So we're asking the question this morning is it over for the Woodside protesters? And the nose are coming in pretty strongly so a lot of our listeners think the protesters will keep going Mark the Farmacist, Shane Beaumont, Shane Bowie, but like David Bowie, but not really, Thanks Ma, and Terry's Terry says, I find it interesting that the biggest problem people have is you saying someone's name incorrectly. We certainly do live in the lucky country. Thanks Terry from Forestfield. It's all good fun, Terry. I shouldn't have said it, and I did, and I apologize. One double three eight Eddy two is the phone number? Stop the Woodbridge gas project burn more Cole says, says Kay Caine, then you've got Caine. I'd have to think about that, Caine. That's very confusing all round. Is it over for the Woodside protesters? We'll keep the poll going through until one o'clock today? What is this? What's what is now? Woodside responsibility is corporate responsibility in terms of its social license. State listening.
Speaker 11: Still dealing with a crash in q Dale Tomkin Highway northbound and stuff to Row Highway that left lane closed by incident response and you can expect delays on the approach. Otherwise the Mitchell southbound lingering delays, Burns Beach Road and the Warwick Road. The equanan on Olds bounds still a bit slow. Thomas to Anchortell Road. I'm Rob b Verumpauts traffic leader six pr.
Speaker 2: Siahs is via the text line that sarahs Hello Sarah, She says, Simon, these woodside protesters are like jilted partners whose exites have remarried. They can't accept the outcome because the conflict has become their whole reason for being. Without it, they either have to do something to define themselves with evaporate. Redefining yourselves always difficult, hard work, and evaporation is unacceptable for those who like to draw attention to themselves. Thank you, Sarah, I reckon my mail, Sarah, thanks for your coro. Is they rattled? They are rattled? Thanks for your thoughts and Chas raises a really really good question. Why didn't the labor government make the decision before the election. Simon Chaz I reckon, that's that would be federal Labour sniffing the wind a bit. I think to see how what the lay of the land was like post election with the Teals and with Greens and with the Greens, and they've you know, they've come down swiftly, still subject to conditions of course, about extending the lease until twenty seventy. Alex Hillman is with the Ostralations Center for Corporate Responsibility. What does this decision mean for Woodside? Getday, Alex, Good to talk to.
Speaker 12: You, Hice, Simon, good to be on the station.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you. We're running a yes no poll today. Is it over for the Woodside processes? The yes are five and the nose are twenty And I think you would agree with that this this could really exacerbate and inflame the hardline activists.
Speaker 12: There's obviously a number of aspects to this. You know, the environmental aspects are pretty clear. You're you're talking a lot about the Yeah, the protests that that Woodsid's receiving. You know, we spend a lot of time thinking about investor perspectives and speaking to investors as well. Woodside doesn't have a strong record of generating strong shareholder returns. It's invested in a number of projects that that we think have lost money, and we're actually concerned that that's that's just going to happen again if it proceeds with Brows.
Speaker 2: That's so that's that's the next bad, isn't it. That's the next part of the puzzle. We suspect the Browse basis.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, I think so. So you know, this conditional approval, we haven't seen what the conditions are, but that's to operate Kraftic gas plant or the Northwest Shelf, which can process gas. But that's running out of gas. So you know, if if this this approval is granted, then you know Woodside's going to be looking for other gas sources and you know, probably the most prominent is is Brows.
Speaker 2: So you know, I had a little phone around yesterday and talked to people who are on the protest activism side of it, Alex and they I think they're a little rattled. They weren't expecting the decisions to be so quick and so clear and so brutal. Conditions notwithstanding, if I can ask you about that part of it, the social license part of I guess for Woodside and their corporate responsibility thereof you mentioned that there hasn't always been a great investor return. People like me seduced by the fact that they sponsor the Nippers, they had a nice, big building in the city, they sponsored the Frio Dockers. People like me seduced that by their community image.
Speaker 12: I can't talk to what suggests you you know what, thank you, but yeah, you know what I mean, they've got to I think they've got a good rep in in a brand in the community, haven't they, which which goes to corporate responsibility. I think they act like they need to protect their brands. You know, they do face a lot of cruises criticism. I think, you know, maybe counter and intuitively to some of your listeners, they actually don't generate strong chans. So over the last fifteen years they've actually generated less shareholder return. They haven't generated enough shaholder returns to keep up with inflation. They've generated a point seven percent per year. So they've got they've got a weak brand that they feel they need to protect, and they've got a business model which which doesn't generate strong returns for investors.
Speaker 2: Seen as a WA company too, aren't they And they are based here there employee about four thousand people. Again, that's that goes to branding, I suppose, doesn't it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Yeah, they are w based that they're increasingly focused on Houston. So you know the current see Meg is US based. Their last major investment was US based, So I think they like to play up the fact that they're a West Australian company. Yeah, and they still are headquartered here, but you know, I think that there is a gradual pivot towards them being increasingly Americanized.
Speaker 2: This is Alex Hillman from the Australation Center for Corporate Responsibility. If I were to ask you as a citizen, Alex or even is you in doing your day job as you are now? Yes?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 2: Is it over for the woodside protests? Are you yes? Or are you a no?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 12: So I think climate change climate science is getting more certain, the impacts are getting more real. You know, we're seeing massive floods in New South Wales at the moment. We're seeing massive droughts in South Australia at the moment. You know, the Australian government is both sides of government have a net zero policy so the energy transition is happening. Woodside doesn't seem to accept this. They're still developing new fossil fuels against what we would say is a shareholder interests and against the you know, the accelerating energy transition that the world's going through.
Speaker 2: Mentioned firming capacity this week, alex He seems to think or hint that we still were going to need gas for a while.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's true. So you know that the energy transition is happening. The vast bulk of energy or increased energy supply each year and is now coming from renewables, and what we're seeing in Australia and the East Coast and the West Coast, in Japan, in China and Europe, what we're seeing is that renewables are backing out coal and then as that happens, we're seeing less less demand for gas. So although we need some gas to you know, while we transition to a fully renewable grid, the amount of gas we need is decreasing over time, and we already have enough developed. So the International Energy Agency says that we have a naughe developed gas reserves that we don't need to develop anymore on our way through the energy transition.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the chat today, Alex. Very good tactical move not to comment on the seduction stuff. Well done. Thanks for thanks.
Speaker 12: Great to see you.
Speaker 2: Thanks jeers mate, Alex Hillman Australian Center for Corporate Responsibility. So that is interesting, isn't I guess they see the wood size returned investors isn't great. I'm probably like a lot of people. I see the Woodside ads on TV had a bit to do with surf life saving over the year, with my years with my kids. So I see them sponsoring the Nippers program, they sponsor free oh on the Jumper, so you do. And they employ a lot of people. My mates work for them, so you know, maybe that branding is something that we are seduced by and susceptible. Two do you think it's over for the Woodside protest as Alex Hillman reckons know. I'm a no. I think they'll keep going, but they need to probably recalibrate, reboot what they have been doing in terms of hardline activism. One, double, three, eight of the two, the yes are five and then those are twenty six. Get a phil thanks for calling.
Speaker 15: Yes, gooda Simon. I just wanted to know why are they still exporting cole overseas from New South Wales and Queensland when that produces probably three four times the amount of greenhound greenhouse gases and gas does and why aren't they concentrating on that instead of the gas? And yes, I think it's over for the environments environmentalists because they're not going to change the decision. They can keep protesting and protesting, but they won't change the decision now that it's being made.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean on the coal, I guess the simple answer to that field is still a market for coal, isn't there? And that's the that's a vexed question, and we do have plenty of it. But you know the prime is that hindered very strongly that we need gas. We need a gas export industry globally and here in Australia to firm up our transition to renewables. Wonderful, Thank you Phil, Thanks for you call mate, and they running for core of the day. Hello Teresa, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 16: I'm just phoning up of that the woodside demonstrating people. Yes, I don't making a pool themselves, helping needs you. It's a prime minister, H's what the main date and others should shut up and get stuffed.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks, thanks Teresa, concise to the point a paucity of language. Yeah, he does have the mandate. I think they were waiting to see, you know, if they needed to get on with the Greens and the Teals and Kate Chaney and the like before they made decision. Murray Wat's made the decision. A lot of our listeners are aren't convinced. They are still very stroppy about Murray Watt's role in the cessation of the live sheep export trade. So a lot of our listeners are setting messages to say, yeah, nah, I don't know, We'll wait until see what's over the line. Yes, no, is it over for the Woodside protests and knows we've got this very strongly. I thought the yeses from our listeners would be stronger than this. The nose are thirty and the yes of five. Get a bill.
Speaker 17: Ooday bowie, How are you mate going? Well, yeah, I'm not sure about the guy you were talking to a bit earlier. He sort of came across as being a little little biased against Woodside. He didn't have a lot of positive stuff to say about them, but that's his progatives the same as everybody else. The biggest problem these these protesters have made is they're just they're way too radical. You know, they don't resonate. I don't believe they resonate with the general public. And you know, at the end of the day, if the checks and balances are in place. And I'm ambivalent either way, the only sway for me is, as you say, the thousands of jobs and you know, people arking up about sponsorship of the Nippers and the Freemantle docors. I mean, give me a break. Would you rather see cigarette and you know, alcohol sponsorship or something. You know, it's it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Bill, I reckon the tobacco one is will not happen or is never going to happen. But yeah, I do take your point. I mean an inter Energy copper fair bit as well. I think that was a pack comings it wouldn't wear yourn Inter Energy shirt as the Australian captain. So Bill, my point of view is I think the hard lim activism stuff doesn't work with people perhaps like you and me who you know, and I care about the planet and the fishies and the boodies and the plants. But I don't know if the hardline stuff has been working, and you could argue that hasn't worked around the Woodside decision, around the Woodside decision. Thanks Bill, thanks for your call today. One of our listeners just let us know that Alex Hillman who was on used to work for Woodside and I've just looked it up and that is hondo per one hundred percent correct. Alex Hillman worth for five years was Woodside Climate Change Advisor, So to our listeners, maybe that's why he was going in so hard on Woodside to kind of balance the ledger for people that knew that I didn't five years Woodside Climate Change Advisor. Get a Joe and.
Speaker 18: How are you a good simon?
Speaker 19: Very quickly. I've asked this question a few times on the defunt Overnighters. We will now ask the question to you. Can you please get a protester on the phone and ask them out right if you really want to make a difference, why actually go and protest over in China and India where you'll do better good over there than here. Because they're the biggest protest they're the biggest polluters. So yeah, will you be able to ask one of them out right? And get an actual answer out of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, well, thanks Joan. That's very a good point, well made. Yeah, we know India and China are the great polluters of the planet. And I suppose you know you can what was that saying, think globally, act locally, can't you? I don't think that the I think the protesters are rattled. This has set them back. They weren't expecting the decision to be as clear cut and as to come down, to be delivered as quickly, and they are a little bit rattled. But they will keep I believe they'll keep going and they'll become more creative. We'll come back in just a set. Thanks for you all your thoughts today. It's the aftermath of the you know, the first stage in the Woodside extension of the gas lease, and that's are you a Woodside investor? Do you work for Woodside? Do you If you are a Woodside investor, what have your returns been like? How do you see them as a as a corporate entity? And so that's the other side of the other side of the corn. I think in the main the hardline stuff, you know, the facing Frederick mccobbin's down on your luck even though it's only on the perspects that was covering the painting out one of our greatest ever paintings, that that didn't win any friends, did it. And you know, Frio people are freo people, you know, the people who live in Freemantle and love it and support the Dockers, And I don't know if they want any friends either. And you know some of the some of the candidates in the state and federal elections down there didn't get up either. So you just wonder who these guys are talking to. Maybe my kids twenty six, twenty five nineteen, Maybe they're listening. Maybe we'll be back in a moment. Thanks for listening. I'm Simon Beymont. This is Perth today. Yeah, thanks for your thoughts. Today we are running poll. Do you think the Woodside it's over for the Woodside protesters and those have it very strongly, Hayden says no, gooda Hayden, Thank you mate. Andy from Dianella, No, the campaign is not over. We have enough gas to see us through the renewable energy transition. We don't need to supply the rest of the world at our peril, says Andy. And I've had a few of these Joe, Joe, maybe if these less lefty protesters had a mortgage in a job, they wouldn't be protesting. It's a pretty common theme, Joe. I don't know whether they have or not. Then the probably is probably safe to say they're not all the same. Dave says, God to love Joe and ask them outright. Thanks Davo. Thanks for your thoughts today. One of Nat says, I wonder how many protests that we're in clothes made in China, one of the worst polluters. Thank you, Nat, Thanks for your thoughts today. Is it over for the Woodside protests of the Yes is six and nose are thirty four? Aleen has texted us the voice Overrey is Thanks John, Thanks Aileen. I think we need to be sensible and not hysterical about the Woodside. Leasa's gas is an important part of world energy transition. The community needs to benefit from the project and it also has to be commercially viable for the company which is in business to make a profit, and it's up to the company to make that determination. Woodside must abide by the condition set by the government. Aileen, Thank you. Sensible as always, hence the title the Voice of reason. Yeah, all of that's true. And I did mention that the Woodside are currently under investigation for spilling sixty one thousand liters of fluid into the Indian Ocean and sixteen thousand leaders of that was made up of hydrocarbons and that was recently, so you know, it's not all beer and skittles in Woodside Land. Maddie Cross joins us now from the six PR newsroom. She's been to the premiers press conference at Bouga Tayte for this morning.
Speaker 20: Get a Maddie Hey Bowie.
Speaker 21: Yeah, I'm here at Balga Tafe where the premiers made an announcement about taste. But I think the interest, obviously was his response to the federal government's decision to approve that Northwest Shelf extension, which you've been speaking about this morning. So the project was given the green light to continue until twenty seventy in northern Wway, and Roger Cook says he's relieved and that it's good to know that the federal government are on the same page as his government, who already gave their green light for the project. He was, you know, he was asked a lot about it, saying gas is an important part of the future for lowering global emissions. But he did note that because this deal is subject to a list of conditions, particularly around emissions and air quality. Roger Cook says, he, you know, while he's relieved, now he'll just await Woodside's decision and response to those terms. They have ten days to a ond to that, so they're going to consult with traditional owners and things in those ten days and then I'm sure, yeah, we'll keep across this topic and see what the outcome is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Maddie, thank you've sent some audio into a let's play Roger Cook's some of his thoughts this morning. Here we go.
Speaker 22: Obviously there's a sense of relief but satisfaction that the Commonwealth agrees with the State government that we can continue with the Karatha gas plant for the foreseeable future to ensure that we can continue to process gas through that facility. This saves literally thousands of jobs in Western Australia, thousands of jobs associated with that plant, tens of thousands of jobs of indirect employment, and of course it secures the future for Karatha. So it's not just important for our overall economy, it's important for regional wa So We're very pleased with the outcome of the initial decision, but obviously.
Speaker 2: Now we have to wait for the final decision.
Speaker 22: What happens now, Well, my understanding is that the Commonwealth has to have a period of consultation with the stakeholder. In this case, it's Woodside is the operator of the joint venture partnership, because they've provided some conditions that I'm not privy to in relation to the granting of the extension. And then once that consultation has been completed, the government will be in a position to make a final decision.
Speaker 2: All right. So the federal and state labor governments are in lockstep there, Maddie. What extra tape courses will be free from next year?
Speaker 21: Yeah, so it's this is why I am at balgut haste. The announcement was for one hundred million dollars to invest into cheap, you know, low cost tape courses and also continue free courses and add even more to those so from twenty twenty six thirty three and plumbing, wall and ceiling lining, brick laying, construction and solid plastering they're amongst some that will be completely free of fees in twenty twenty six this funding will also just continue those low fee courses across WA, some that have already been popular, things like childhood education, nursing, work, health and safety. So it's all about you know, we hear a lot from the politicians diversifying the economy. That was used a lot today and also you know they're made in WA plans, so it's all about getting people the skills to just go into that all those industries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Maydi comprehensive. We'll see you when you get back and we'll hear your reports during the course of the day. Thank you, Thank you. Maddie Cross out at the Bouga Tafe today. So there's a number of free courses. I'll just repeat those after the news today for those of you that got kids, or you might be a mature age student interested in changing direction. We'll come back in just a moment. Thanks for listening. It's five and a half minutes to ten o'clock coming up on the show that I wanted to ask you about cyclists today because you know, you know, Burke Drive in Adita goes from goes from sort of Turno Canning Highway Book Drive goes all the way through around to almost to point world of golf course counselor considering putting more speed humps and making that a more more more friendly for cyclists and for motorists. It's probably one of the most used bits of road by cyclists in the Metro area, and I wanted to ask you about that. Are you you know, are you a cyclist? Say you're pro cycling, I'm not. I'm not completely sure that our listeners and general people generally in the community like cyclists. I'm going to ask you that after after ten o'clock today, what do you reckon? You know that that bit of road, Burke Drive is a is a massive cycling route. If you're riding around the river, you might have heard that phrase going for a ride around the river and Bert Drive is a big part of that. And they're looking to try and calm it down even more with traffic calming devices, speed cycling lanes and the light because they have accents on that road. So I'd love to talk to you about cycling after ten o'clock today, we will bring you up today. Is John Krey going to meet with the people from the Inglewood Flats. Is John Kerry going to meet with the people from the Inglewood Flats. I'll bring it up to date on that as well. Nick Maruchik with law Talk after ten thirty, Thank you for listening. Yeah, thanks for your thoughts. We are running a pole today. Is it over for the Woodside protests? As this has gone off this pole? As Chris Murphy would say, this is going off the nose are thirty nine, The yeses is seven, so people think that it's not over that. You know, you could argue the hardline activism hasn't worked politically from a community support basis, but most people think the Woodside protesters will keep going. There's the battleground, the battle lines will perhaps be redrawn. Thanks for your thoughts and always happy to hear from you if you are antie Woodside. As you know, it's ten o'clock now.
Speaker 1: On Perth six PR. This is Perth Today with Simon Beaumont.
Speaker 2: Downhearted. I think the anti Woodside protests is feeling a little bit downhearted as of yesterday afternoon, so we're asking the question today what next for the protests? Is it over for the Woodside protest? As I chronicled the rough timeline of the high profile hardline activism initiatives, they've staged going right back to twenty twenty one when they first started protesting against the Woodside nippers, and it's been unrelenting and it's been sustained and it just keeps cropping up, and it's been very, very strategic Woodside. But is it over the protests as well? Yes? Eight. See the yes is are eight and the nose are forty. So people are expecting more from the Woodside guys that disrupt the Burroup Hub guys into the future. So keep your correspondence and your thoughts coming in. We will cover some other topics that I wanted to ask you about cyclists and about cycling on Burke Drive in Attadale. The it's a yes from Mesus Andrew in Secret Harbor today.
Speaker 5: Mate.
Speaker 2: They can't stop the project. What are they going to protest for the next forty years? No, of course not s his Donna, and I've been asking you about Burk Drive. So Burk Drive is probably one of the more high profile roads streets, local roads that are used when you ride your pushbike around the river. It's changed over the years. It's got narrower, it's got some sort of little traffic caarming devices on it now, but the councilor considering because they're worried about the road itself. The council are looking to introduce more trafficcarming devices there now. It's right next to the Big Dog Park. It overlooks the river. There's some beautiful houses along there, and there is some traffic, so I think it's fifty k is now for cars along there. And I used to live on the road for a little while and it's very, very busy when it comes to cycling traffic. People ride in the ones, twos, threes and in the big pelotons as well. Early in the morning one double three eight two and we talked to the councilor just a moment about the plan. Allen says, as a cyclist regularly use Burke drive it's great for practicing for the two of them, market River team time trials. Speed Bumps will not helps, is Allen. Rather, they may actually increase the risk of cycle, especially in a lag of larger bunch. I've never had issues with cars on that road, how I've had problems on other roads. In general. Perth drives are okay with cyclists, but there's a minority that don't like us. Yeah, thanks, Ala, I just know when we cover as a topic here over the years on six PR a lot of sort of only half joking when I say six hours have been persecuting cyclists for about thirty years. I'm only sort of half joking about that. Quite a few of our announcers and quite a few of the listeners don't like cyclists. So yeah, we'll discuss that topic just a moment. Wonder what City of Melville going to do with Burke Drive. Just to update you, you know, we've been covering the story since February of this year about the set of flats, the set of units, the social housing units on Ninth Avenue in Inglewood. We've talked to the mayor, We've talked to people who've lived there. We've talked to the police, We've talked to all manner of groups. We've covered the story many many times now. We've been asking politely for John Kerrey, the Housing Minister, to come on and talk to us about the Inglewood Flats. Haven't had any joy so far. But I can tell you that the representatives from the Inglewood Flats will be meeting with John Kerry on Tuesday next week. So when we spoke last to them, We spoke to Melissa and she said, oh, we haven't heard. You know, no one's meeting with us, but that is now happening, and that is now happening next Tuesday. So that's that's a good thing, isn't it. There's all sorts of conflicting reports floating around that communities haven't had any complaints about the residents there, but that's not true. There's been at least thirteen that we know of, So mister Kerrey is going to attempt to try and sort that out because it's an absolute running saw, this one. It's been since at least February that we know of it. We still have a situation. We have situations in Bentley, we have situations in Bayswater, we have situations in the city of Perth that are very similar. Highly anti social behavior, illegal behavior police, difficult for police to do anything different, difficult for rangers to do anything different, for Shires to do anything, and so it goes. And this is a minority of social community, apartment communities, social housing residents that are behaving incredibly and in an incredibly anti social way. So we've been told reps from the England Flats will meet with John Carey on Tuesday next week. Thanks for listening. In Henry's phone in cand I Henry.
Speaker 23: Agda Siahe going like, cyclists, Look, whether you like it or don't, the fact of the matter is that we've just got to get over it. I mean, I've just spent my wife and I just spent ten weeks in Europe Scandinavia or Scandinavia, Central and Eastern Europe, visited ten countries, cyclists everywhere, and people just get over it. We've got speed limits over there of thirty and forty and fifty kilometers an hour in built up areas, and people just respect it. The level of respect on the roads we noticed while we were away was incredible in comparison to here, whether it's Eastern States or Western Australia. I think we just got to catch up with the rest of the world and become a little bit more tolerant.
Speaker 2: Yeah so cultural, hey, Henry think one hundred percent.
Speaker 23: One hundred percent. Now, Having said that, a lot of those Scandinavian countries have and you know, Germany et cetera, have got good infrastructure to allow for bikes. But when you go to the UK Island, Scotland and Wales, the roads are really really narrow, and yet again the cyclist on the roads and people just you know, just wait and safely maneuver around them.
Speaker 4: It's just the way it is.
Speaker 2: Are they exercised cyclists or are they both bakery commuters?
Speaker 23: Yeah, Ina, you know, in Norway, Denmark, Germany bakery commuters. But when you go to the UK, particularly when you're when you're sort of out of the out of the city area, there's you know, there's serious cyclists who are doing it for the leisure, and you know you've got big tour buses et cetera, and trucks and people just people just you know, get on with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, thanks Henry Choose mate. Thanks you call thirteen past ten the city of Melbourne looking to adjust bird drive and it's probably one of the more prominent roads in Perth for doing a lap around the river.
Speaker 24: How's it going, Simon, thanks for taking my call. I've I used to be a pretty avid cyclist that I've lost the passion over the last sort of eight eight months. That previous caller. The difference between there and here is what I call a traditional normalized cycling culture. We just don't have one and there's a whole other argument that I won't go into about that, But in regards to Burke Drive, the problem with what the council wants to do is that what they want to do is designed and implemented by people that have got no idea about cycling. They just think, yeah, we have got an idea and we're going to make it safer. But it doesn't make it any safer, makes it worse.
Speaker 2: So what do you what do you think they want to do?
Speaker 12: Les?
Speaker 2: What are you hearing?
Speaker 24: Well, the speed humps and the traffic calming devices, that's for cars. It's going to slow the cars down, but it's obstacles for cyclists.
Speaker 2: Yeap, all right mate, well mate, it's we will chat to the council. There's it's two point seven k's of road and I reckon it sounds like you've ridden on it many times, and we'll find out what the plan is where they put speed humps in and traffic caarming but cyclists can still get through it. It remains to be seen. But it's probably one of the busiest stretches, isn't it.
Speaker 24: Well it is, that's right, and especially when you get the big palatons there and you mix that with impatient drivers, which are a dime a dozen on our roads, it is a recipe for disaster. So I get it. The idea of it is good to make it safe for cycling, but people who actually ride bikes and know what safe cycling is all about need to have input Otherwise you end up with something that makes it worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, makes it more unsafe, all right, Liz, thank you, mate. I appreciate that. We'll find out more from the council shortly. And it's a generic question as well. It could be happening in your suburb. We my thoughts. If you get ten people riding together, one of them would we will be a terrible rider, doesn't look at cars, doesn't think about cars, other riders, pedestrians, does the wrong thing. There are more expresses a percentage. There are probably higher percentage of bad cyclists as compared to bad drivers. And I know I do both. Most cyclists are pretty good, but there is one or two will always, you know, ride in the middle of the road or carry on. There are less there are less as a percentage drivers. If that makes sense. I hope that makes sense. Sort of sounded right, and I was thinking it didn't sound that good when I said it. Good, Ay, Mark, good A.
Speaker 18: Weird one for you. I have an aneurysm at the moment, so I was told not to get my blood pressure up to my operation. So I thought I'd do some uber each deliveries and I had an order for three bottles of milk today for Australia Post Malaga. I went there and I was held against my will for over ten minutes because the guy thought that I must be a terrorist because I was delivering milk to Australia Post. He eventually let me go once I started filming, and I mentioned on the video, which I thank you guys as well, that he was holding me against my will and he confirmed that. He said yes, and he nodded his head. I've just had Australia Post ring me and they were like, no, this is how we train our stuff. You had no right to be delivering milk to us, so you could picture my blood pressures through the roof. And I'm not feeling too good, but this is this is crazy stuff and nobody's accountable.
Speaker 2: So did you When you deliver the milk, you leave it out with the milk gets delivered here, gets left down in the foyer. Where did you leave the milk or did you try to?
Speaker 18: I had instructions to take it in and the map was pinned, and I showed him the app and I showed him the person and their contact number to so it was a staff member, and showed them where I was supposed to go in their instructions. So I showed them all of that. He wasn't interested. So I ended up giving him the milk. I said, well, here, look, you can have the milk and do but whatever you like, I'll just go. And he wouldn't let me go. And then he put the door down and closed the door and tall. It wasn't until I started telling me that he let me go?
Speaker 2: Is he and was he obviously an Australia Post employee.
Speaker 18: Yes, supervisor. I got to think of his name tag and that on the video and that as well. And as I say in the video, I make it very clear. I said, this man is holding me against my will and not letting me go. He nods his head, he says yes, And you know, we kept going until he finally let me go. But this is crazy delivering milk and I've got health concerns at the moment, and you know, I'm just so rattled.
Speaker 2: Yeah you sound rad Mark. I'll ask this as delicately as I can wire you behaving yourself.
Speaker 18: Absolutely, I was just delivering milk. I mean, at the end of the video you see I just say to him, you know, for fs, take let me go. But that was it. I mean, when you're delivering uber, it's as simple as rocking up to as handing him, thanking them and off you go. Even when he didn't want that to happen. And I gave him the order, even though he wasn't the one with the order, he was. He gladly took the order and I said, okay, well I'll just go now, and he was like, no, You're not going anywhere.
Speaker 2: Bizarre and Australia Post have doubled down and said, no, this is this is the right process.
Speaker 18: That's how we train them. You had no right to come on Australia Post property and you had no right to be delivering milk to us.
Speaker 2: Have you delivered milk to them before?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 18: No, they're all random jobs, you know. And this one was out in Malaga and I live on the other side of the city, so it was a good paid job. This delivery. It was a long delivery one. It was like oh yeah, and I didn't even think about it, just wropped up there with the order and as I say, I showed him the app, I showed him my idea, I showed him everything, and yeah, and I was just held against my will and I kept stating to him, let me go, let me go, and he just kept refusing.
Speaker 2: All right, Well in the brake mead, I'll have a look at the video that he's very bizarre. I hope you're okay.
Speaker 18: Yeah, thanks, yeah, yeah, I took some medicine and.
Speaker 2: Hopefully yeah yeah, yeah, no Joe for a walk or something. Mate, before it starts rating. Thanks Mark, we'll take pause. It's twenty minutes past ten. That's bizarre, isn't it. We will come back. Is it over for the woodside protests? As yeses A nine and the nose of forty two. Thanks for responding in great number. We'll take a break. Brian's semessus, gooda Brian, thank you mate. The cyclists say here and happy to have them, but they should be fined if riding on the roads alongside a cycleway, which cost taxpayers a lot of well spent dollars, Brian, I reckon that might be an infringement. I think you might be right. If there's a cycle way there, if you'll use path whatever they're called, I think you are supposed to use them. Thanks, Chris says gooda Simon, Hello, Chris. Traffic calming devices like the zigzag style chicanes are the most dangerous thing for cyclists. The amount of times impatient knobs with a Q over take through them is out of this world. That's want to feel in the most amount of danger on my bike and do quite a few k's a week. It's a cultural thing in this country. Drivers just wide up to hate people on bikes. Cheers Mate, enjoying the show. Cheers Chris, as I say, I reckon one in ten cyclists are a bit ordinary, and probably one on one hundred motorists are a bit ordinary, and that data comes to you with no scientific basis whatsoever. One level three eight eighty two is it over for the Woodside protest has given what we heard yesterday. The yes is are nine and the nose are forty two. Joining me now is Anne Barclay from our production area and has a couple of stories about East scooters.
Speaker 10: Hi, I am Hi Bowie. Yeah, a bit of a tragic development with this story. Listeners, if they've been tuning into Philippo Mama's news bulletins this morning, they would have heard about this crash that happened around ten thirty last night. An e scooter and a white Volvo truck collided at the intersection of Canning Highway and Sterling Highway in East Frio, and police have just confirmed that. Unfortunately, the e scooter writer, who was a thirty one year old man, did die at the scene, so he received yeah, critical injuries. The twenty six year old mail truck driver was uninjured and he's speaking to at the moment. No charges have been laid at this stage.
Speaker 2: You said ten thirty last night.
Speaker 25: Yeah, ten thirty last night. Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: So there's a knowing that little intersection, and there's cycle ways either side of the intersection which you can cross over, and presumance with the bridges so you can cross over either way there. So that's terrible.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and obviously it would have been dark, you know, ten thirty at night. I don't know e scooters. I don't think they're fitted with lights. Maybe some of them are it's not that some of the topic I know a lot about, but there has unfortunately been a spate of eescooter really serious crashes and now this death Bowie. So over the weekend an E scooter writer suffered critical injuries after he collided with a car in Middle Swan and that happened really early Sunday morning, I think shortly after midnight is when that happened. And that was actually the subject of now hit and run charges. So police have charged a twenty four year old man, alleging that they failed to remain at the scene, he didn't stop and help, and so now he's been charged with causing grievous bodily harm. He's due to front court next month. The man, the accused, man from Kelmscott. So, yeah, a few really serious crashes with late at night scooters.
Speaker 25: Yeah, in the late at night at intersections.
Speaker 2: They're fully dark. Yeah, okay, alright, thank you Anne, And we'll ask your listeners. Is it a requirement to have lights on a scooter if you're writing at night? I would imagine it.
Speaker 10: Would be, yeah, because whenever I've seen EA scooter writers at night, I think they've just been you know, going slow and on the footpaths on residential roads.
Speaker 25: But I've never really had to.
Speaker 10: I mean, unless I'm just not seeing them, you know, whether I have not seen them at major intersections when I'm driving. But it's a scary thought because they're so quiet too, right, you don't necessarily hear them or see them coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And if you're coming off a cycle away or of a path, or even they're not on the road, are they? Thank you? Anne? Thanks two chilling stories there. One double three eight eighty two is the phone number? Are you you know? And I ask, in the absence of knowing, are you required to have a by a light on your scooter if you're traveling at night? I would imagine you would be. And I don't know if you buy a thousand dollars scooter from jbhi Fi or wonder Lust, if you do, if they necessarily fix with front and rear lights permanently, I'm not sure. Get ay, Sue, how you going?
Speaker 26: Hi?
Speaker 27: Simon?
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm well, Sue, Thank you?
Speaker 28: Yeah? Good look.
Speaker 27: I feel very very strongly about the cycling you around Perth because we are faced with so many challenges already, with drivers that are very impatient, and I just feel like putting speed bumps in is just a prohibitive And to me, it's the whole government, the state government, local government. They are trying to get cyclists off the road. They're investing a lot of money into infrastructure, into mountain bike trails, gravel bike racing has become massive. More and more road races are being canceled. I mean, we've only got a look at the College of donny Brook. It's for last year. This year one hundred years of history. Tom Lowry, I just raced that the eighty fourth I think it was last year. Traffic management has just become so expensive and prohibitive. Volunteers aren't allowed to help, so these have been canceled. The Kelwallely Road Race was on this weekend, canceled because of traffic management. And I just feel like it's just a big plan to get us off the road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're probably right, so sign to change, haven't they. So when I used to do triathons in the eighties and nineties to west to ride down the coast and up Bolt of Rebold Hill and around City Beach and around the city, but not anymore, and just.
Speaker 27: Even Rebold Hill, like I was training there Tuesday, we were doing repeats of Oceanic Now I can remember as little as five years ago at five point thirty in the morning, you would not see a car because we'd be finished by seven. Still, now we're doing the same thing. You would see fifty cars every sort of twenty minutes being through. It's crazy how much things have changed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no doubt. But thank thank you for your texting, your phone call, Sue, thank you cheers who's gone? Yeah, yeah, I'd love to hear from you today. So Burt drive in added all the council is looking to change change that two point seven k bit of road. It's used extensively by cyclists in riding solo, in pairs, in threes, and in big packs in the pelotons. We'll try and find out a little bit, a little bit more as it goes on the lone voice in the Wilderness on this station. When it comes to being pro cycling, get a Kevin.
Speaker 14: Good timon how you're going, good mate, Simon. I just want I just wanted to relate my story about my encounter with an eat cyclist last week. I was coming back from Ocean Reef on Ocean Reef Road and and It was late at night, probably about nine o'clock at night, and I almost hit this scooter guy and I didn't see him until I was past him. He was he was totally in black and I didn't see him at all on the road.
Speaker 2: What was he doing? Right, So you're traveling down the road. Where was he going across? Badly?
Speaker 14: Was he?
Speaker 2: Was he on the on the road?
Speaker 14: Now he's on the side of the road, not not on the shoulder, but just in my almost in my lane but not quite, but completely oblivious to the danger that he'd put himself in.
Speaker 2: No lights.
Speaker 14: He was no lights, completely in black. I didn't see him until I was past him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Yeah, Kevin, you know, I imagine if you did him, Imagine how bad you'd feel forever if you did hurt him.
Speaker 14: Yes, exactly. I felt bad anyway, more out of shop than anything that I didn't see him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, thanks mate, Thanks for your CAULP. Appreciate that this one here from Tipsy. My scooter has built in lights, but not really sufficient, especially late at night. Thanks Tipsy. Stopped playing on the roads is marked from Marrett River. So I think Mark's a pro cyclist, Jim says, roads are for commercial purposes to get from A to b, not for exercise, says you know, Jim, they're not, mate, You're allowed a light on the road, mate, they're not. So so when I drive to work, Jim or dry, I drive down the beach to have a walk. That's that's for commercial purposes, that may know, Jim. So I just allowed to ride on the road, mate, that's the rule. That's and and cycling keeps you know, keeps people healthy and doesn't clog up the health system. Anyway, I could go on. We'll come back now if you'd like to speak to Nick, you' john on one me up, Jim, it worked. Nick maru Chack's owing to join us from m k I legal in just a moment. But if you'd like to phone in if you have a law question, please call us one double three eight touty two. Nick Ruchak joins us from MKI Illegal on this Thursday morning day. Nick, how are you good?
Speaker 26: A bowie?
Speaker 2: I'm great. That's good now. That's a Tommy Hill figure jumbo and I like that. And one of our listeners, Jeff phone In, said that he thought that bloke's name was Tommy Hilfin garden.
Speaker 29: There's a funny story. I'm wearing this jump and my business partner asked me to bring in a green jumper because he's going to dress up as Ned Flanders on the weekend of a dress up party. So that's why we're today to get to him.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a hell of a party. One double three A Dody two. If you'd like to speak to Nick Ruchac today, you can. Simon and Danny will get to you guys in just a moment. Ring in Wonduble three A Daddy two is the phone number. Nick here to take your legal questions. Simon, Good morning, How are you.
Speaker 14: Simon?
Speaker 20: Nick?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 30: Mate?
Speaker 31: Yeah, I'm just a question about testing a will. I lost my father and sister six years ago. I lost my mother a couple of months ago, but no other siblings, so it's just me alone. Just wondering my sister's late sister's children. They have been given a substantial amount of money from my mother in the will. They're not happy with what they've got, so they are seeing they're entitled to half, which is what my sister and I probably would have been getting. Just wondering if they have any right to contest the will.
Speaker 29: Okay, So when it comes to contesting a will, there's only a class of people who can do it. So I just need to establish the relationship between the deceased person and the person who wants to challenge the will. So the decease, the relationship is one of grandparent and grandchild, right, the decease grandparent died and the grandchildren are looking at challenging the will. Is that right?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 29: Okay, So when it comes to that, grandchildren are in the class of categories that can challenge grandparents will, but they can only challenge it in specific circumstances, and they are if they are being maintained by the deceased immediately before death. So think of a situation where the grandchild is living with a grandparent and receiving money or school fees and stuff like that, or if the grandchild's parents died. Right, So they're the main situations that a grandchild can challenge grandparents will. If they don't meet that criteria, then they can't challenge. So do the grandchildren meet that criteria.
Speaker 31: Well, yeah, because their mother died six years ago my sister, then.
Speaker 29: Yeah, so that would be something that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 29: So then because they were stepping the shoes of your of your sister. And so this is the situation, right, they don't automatically get anything from the will that they have to that the court will look at whether the will should be adjusted, so whether they should be given something from the will, and they look at a whole bunch of factors regarding that. They have to launch a claim within six months of probate being issued, so at this stage is probably good to get some legal advice about that. So you'll go and get probate first. Then that six month windows ticks in. If they don't do anything within the six months, then the time limits expired and unless you extend time, that's it. So there's probably something that you might want to investigate it. Someone who I recommend is a lease a Lease Croft from croft Bridge, Croft Bridge there in Perth. She does a lot of contested estates wills, so that's someone you can speak to about what are the prospects of them getting up?
Speaker 2: How is that? Simon?
Speaker 13: Does that hit?
Speaker 2: And I'm very sorry for your losses, Simon, And that's a lot for one person to have to deal with and then to put up with this as well. Does that help you, mate?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 31: It gives me a bit of an insight. Yeah.
Speaker 12: Thanks, Yeah, I'll.
Speaker 31: Contact that CrossBridge and yeah, thank you represents they decided to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good luck mate, that's I'm sorry for those losses in the last six years. Simon having chat to Nick. There, gooda Danny, Hi there, how are you Nick?
Speaker 29: Good Danny?
Speaker 32: My nephew was charged with a defaming or threatening a politician on Facebook. Now he they came out and arrested him and took possession of his computers and stuff. The date on the paperwork is wrong when he's gone to court, and they also cannot find the original evidence of him threatening this politician. Where does he stand in regard to being.
Speaker 28: In court with that?
Speaker 29: So when it comes to the paperwork is wrong, that's called the statement of material facts, so that can be adjusted. Sometimes the prosecution make it a date wrong here and there, But when it comes to criminal law, the prosecution has the burden of proving the case beyond reasonable doubt, so they would need to tender that evidence. I wouldn't say too much about this case on radio because this conversation itself can be used as evidence, so don't give them anything, and so they have to prove it. Your nephew has the right to silence, which means that he can just sit there and go, well, prove the case. He can challenge the evidence to say hasn't met the standard of beyond reasonable doubt. So this is one that I would get some legal assistance on. The government has it Legal a program where they do give criminal lawyers your nephew access to criminal layers if you can't afford one. That's the route that I would go to. And if you get a criminal lawyer and if they've lost this key evidence, you would just challenge on that and if everything goes well, get the case. We'll get dismissed because they haven't or finding I'm not guilty. So that's the next step legal aid and get a lawyer there, and you can also get a juty lawyer as well.
Speaker 2: So that that notion of you know, a Facebook post or a social media post is regarded as as a publication and it is published. Even if it's disappeared, it's still it can be found canted, it's still regarded as published.
Speaker 29: That's right, it is published, and it's we don't often hear of criminal defamation charges. It is actually an offense and it does exist in the books and so it doesn't happen often. But this case was a prominent figure, so it did happen, so they can get it. So it's the prosecution's job to try and find it right, So they would have to do all kinds of stuff like maybe they have the subpoena Facebook and go go through that process to get it. I would imagine if it was published then it would exist somewhere in the ether of the ones and zeros. But it's their job, so make it harder for them, not easier.
Speaker 33: Does that helped any Yes, it certainly does.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you Danny, thanks for punning. In eighteen and a half minutes to eleven o'clock, Mark is one of our listeners. He's an uber driver and I think you might have heard this where you were waiting to come on. It's a bizarre situation. Mark's Nuba driver delivering milk to an Australia Post outlet. Delivers the milk gets according to Mark, and this is his version of events, he gets detained against his will. Let's have a listened to Mark from earlier on.
Speaker 18: I had an order for three bottles of milk today for Australia Post Malaga. I went there and I was held against my will for over ten minutes because the guy thought that I must be a terrorist because I was delivering milk to Australia Post.
Speaker 2: Basic question, and this is Mark's version of events. Nick in a very bizarre situation. If true. Not that I'm doubting Mark, but I guess there's always two sides to every story. Can can a business holder person against their will if if they regarding them as trespassing?
Speaker 29: So this is there's a few things going on here, right, So make on the face of it, may have a claim in taught for false imprisonment right, So false amphrisment is a civil claim. Basically, it's where you have been prevented from leaving, so they restrict your freedom. So I've seen the video, They've closed the gate. He told them he wants to leave, they prevented him from leaving. Right, So what happens here is Australia Post has to prove that they had some sort of authority, some sort of either statutory or common law authority to hold Mark. That's the question, right, So if he was in an area where he shouldn't have been there, say it was potentially a tress bars then maybe taking steps to determine if a criminal offense has been committed or not, maybe reasonable justification. But if he wasn't in an area, if he was an area that was easily accessible by everyone, then that there wasn't there would not be any justification and Mark would get up on that. So it's on the face of it, there is a potential claim here. You're potentially right to Australia Post to assert that there's been that false imprisonment taught been broken, and then it comes down to if he gets up on that, then it comes down to damages, right, and we have this law called the Civil Liabilities Act, which if you want to get damages for pain and suffering then you basically have to cross this threshold which is about twenty five thousand dollars. So if you see someone and your pain and suffering under state law is less than twenty five k, you get zero. This law was passed by insurance companies as well. So if he's been detained for ten minutes and you know, maybe he's suffered five thousand dollars worth of pain and suffering, so that we've reduced to zero. So that's also a secondary issue here that may make it more difficult to commence this claim, but it's worthwhile calling a personal injury loyal. They do these kind of claims all the time. They do often no win, no fear, giving them a call and just saying, hey, is this is there a claim here or not?
Speaker 2: Is it worth?
Speaker 29: Is worth pursuing?
Speaker 2: So thanks Nikka, well answered bizarre So the circumstances, it would seem. And the other question that comes to mind for me is do we get milk and bottles anymore?
Speaker 29: We don't get it delivered, but I've seen them in the shops. I've seen I think bottles are milk because of microplastics, right, so if you have a glass glass container, it's probably a little bit slightly more healthy for you, but they cost a lot more.
Speaker 4: Dope.
Speaker 2: They thank you, thank you for thank you for going with me on that one double three eight eighty two tours tort yep. I remember that from remember that from when I went to school a long time ago. Quarter to eleven. We'll come back more of Nick marujack your phone in one double three eight eighty two, Milton's SMSU Nikki, She's about to study law next year. So I'm just finishing off my bridging course. It'll be online. I was wondering what undergraduate it had to take so I can go into the full law degree later on. Any tip you can give me, says Milton.
Speaker 29: So once you've done your law degree, then you want to train and get some work experience, and then after you've graduated, you have to go and do some post post articles.
Speaker 2: It's not yeah, we.
Speaker 29: Don't do it anymore. You do something called College of Law, right, So you'll do You're going to College of Laws where a lot of there's other education providers. You go there, they give you, you know, some training for a few months, and then you have to do some work experience placements, right, So it could be twenty days up to seventy five days something like that. So that usually takes about six months to a year to complete. After you graduated, and then you're fully fledged lawyer and you'll be you have to work supervised for two years.
Speaker 2: So Milton's question is about what undergraduate course he should take.
Speaker 29: I think, well, you need to do a law degree. Yeah, so you'll need to Some unis will make you do an undergrad first before you do a.
Speaker 2: Law degree be a generic one, comments Yeah.
Speaker 29: Yeah, look, okay, so there's you know, I think anything that makes you more valuable. Right, So if you want to go into say an area of like tech technology and law, you might do with some sort of tech degree. I did a commerce degree, right, something very general that really helps. But I think that there's a whole variety of great degrees you can do. And yeah, so I can't really pick one at the moment, but commerce is a generic one. If you want to do that.
Speaker 2: Mill time that help make commerce maybe or if it is going to be more specific it or whatever it is. So thanks, good luck, Milton, thanks for getting in contact. So a long SMS from Robert here. Nick Oh, I go through as succinctly as I can. Nick. I recently won a court order against a tenant that have maliciously damaged my property the tune of nearly ten thousand dollars. The former tenants refused to reply to my emails to work out a way to pay their debts. I'm now looking at trying to enforce the court order, but it costs hundreds of dollars. There's no guarantee they even have a forwarding address. I try to ask the magest at court if they can tell me if they have afording address, but they will not disclose this just don't want to throw my money at this if they can't enforce it. Is there any way I can get the court to confirm if they have an address for the previous tenant.
Speaker 29: So the court probably can't give you that information, but this is I'll give you some general overview of what you need to do. So you've got a court order, so the next step is to enforce the court order. That means you have to file some paperwork with a court. Then this person is brought into court and then wages might be garnished and stuff like that. Right, But the problem is you have to kind of serve that and serving means giving it to them by hand. So if you can't find someone, there is a process, right you have to take reasonable steps to try and locate their address. One quick tip is the electoral role. So if you go everyone has to be registered to vote. You can go into the electoral office and you can go into their computers and find someone's name, right, So that's an avenue. Other ways that you can do an assex search to see if they own any businesses. Obviously this guy is renting, so you can't do a landgate search. But so you're trying your best to try and find this where this person lives. If you can't find where this person lives, then what you have to do is apply for substituted service. So you go to the court and say, hey, I don't know where this person is. I can't give them the court documents by hand. Can you please allow me to serve them by email? Can you please allow me to serve them by text message? So if you've taken all steps to try and find their to try and give it to them by hand, and you haven't been able to do that, then the court will give you substituted service. And it sounds like reading this message, he's got the email, so you can serve it by email. But I reckon just do this yourself. Ask the call the process. Hey, what's the forms of substituted service? Fill out an AFFI David, and obviously tech steps to try and find where they are.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Robert, I hope that helps let us know how you go mate. That's very interesting. What was the Australian Electrical Commission angle you had there, Yeah, find.
Speaker 29: An electoral role.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 29: So yeah, these are the things that you can't just go online and search for anyone's address. You have to go into person and you have to actually look in their computers and write it down, right, so they won't allow you to take any photos and stuff like that.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 29: That's that's a tactic that's often been found. Yeah, and it just you have to wait for this guy. You have to kind of get on there. You have to update your details every time there's an election. So if you updated, if this tenant updated it recently this recent election, you know you might have a current address.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, very interesting. One double three A daddy two is the is the phone number if you'd like to speak to Nick. We've got a couple of minutes if you'd like to give him a call. One double three A daddy two. Just a new court case could see childcare payments become tax deductible.
Speaker 29: Really, yes, So the rule is from this there's a precedent from the High Court from nineteen seventy two where someone tried to deduct nursery school fees and the court said no, this is a private and domestic expense. You can't deduct it. So if you're going to deduct something on your taxes, it has to be used to produce accessible income and it cannot be for private or domestic nature.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 29: So we have this law firm in the Eastern States that is preparing a claim on behalf of one of their clients to say, well, childcare fees I are actually, you know, help me earn accessible income. And so they're trying to get this really old law from the nineteen seventies overturned.
Speaker 2: Game changer it would be.
Speaker 29: And if that actually get up on that, then so many people can deduct their childcare expensive. Childca is expensive. I've got a four year old and it's just a lot, So it would be a big win for a lot of working parents out The argument is that you know, a lot's changed since nineteen seventy one. Maybe back then there weren't as many single parents or working parents. Now that dynamics completely changed. So these people are arguing this law. Fan's arguing, which has got to get with the times. And you had a four year old, nick Ah, Yeah, just one one little chilly one, a.
Speaker 2: Little Simon or a little Simone. Yeah, a little Lev, a little Lev for me, little lev how cool. I didn't know that about you one double three eight e two. He could snee ski squeeze in a call if you'd like to ring Nick marou Chak. A lot of people are asking us when still Steve Kilby's on. We've got a musician coming on for formerly of the church, Nick and he's he's going to be on is it twelve thirty sew twelve thirty Steve Kilby will be on listeners for those of you that are asking, and we continue our yes no poll. I'll bring you up to date with that on after eleven o'clock. WA's Legal Practice Board. Nick, there's been a hack and it's his bank details of legal firms stolen. So it's a cyber investigation and it's from it's in our paper today.
Speaker 29: Yeah, that's right. So the Legal Practice Board is the umpire that regulates lawyers. They allow lawyers to come into the profession, they kick lawyers out who are no good. They have a lot of control. So they've been hacked and they've been about three hundred gigs of data has been stolen and a lot of correspondence. But there's also some bank accounts of lawyers. The Legal Practice Board says that only limited amount of bank accounts that have been disclosed, and they've already let those people know. But the Legal Practice Board went and got a court order to stop, to get an injunction, to get a court order to stop anyone from disseminating or reading this information. But the cats out of the bag. And the reality is they don't know, they don't really know exactly how much has been taken, and this hacking group is now going to start releasing things over the next month. So a lot of lawyers are worried, a lot of annoyed as well. I think the Legal Practice Board got some egg on their face and so, but this also coincides with we've got a law has been passed in twenty twenty four that'll probably take effect next next year which requires government agencies to take better steps to guard privacy. So this will apply to government departments, and this will apply to anyone who services contracts for government departments. Okay, So it's so hopefully in twenty twenty six when this takes effect, wa government agencies are going to get better at this because you know, there's so many hacks. And the Privacy Commissioner says that law firms are up in the top five. They just easily target, especially small regulators that may have not done proper things to protect them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the cybersecurity is such a huge issue, isn't it. Nick? Thank you, Thank you for your thoughts, compassion and wisdom today. Look forward to catching up with you next week. Light the Green Jumper like the Tommy hillf and garden Jumper, I like it. Thank you, Thank you, jeers mate, Nick, Maru Jack mk Illegal be back with this next week at the same time. It's three and a half minutes to eleven o'clock. Thank you for listening. Why is Australia Post ordering milk through ubers? Is you know? I'm sure it'll be cheaper to buy it at Cole's. How will we buy We buy a lot of milk here, I reckon per capita. We buy more milk per capita than any other business in Perth. I reckon. I'm not sure where we buy it from, but it turns up in a milk crate and usually one of our big strong sales stuff like Ron Moore or someone brings it in. Is it over for the Woodside protesters? The Yester twelve and the Nose of forty six, so big response on this one. Col says, no, I don't think the protesters will stop. Thanks cal climate change is happening. We're still with the gas so it's an ongoing dilemma. Thanks good man. Eleven o'clock now.
Speaker 1: On Perth six PR. This is Perth Today with Simon Beaumont.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening into Perth Today. I'm Simon Beaumont, as that nice man said here until one o'clock at today. It was said to be post election. It was said to be the biggest climate based issue in Australia, the extension of the Woodside Project lease. And yesterday Murray Watt said he go, he can be there until twenty seventy. We hear some conditions, you need to meet them. You've got ten days to get back to me and then we'll probably try and tick it off. So it's said to be the biggest climates based decision that this government was going to make. They've made it yesterday or really started to make it, and we've asked the question today is it now over for the Woodside protesters. At the top of the show today, I chronicled some of the hardline activism events midnight Oil getting involved, John Butler's been involved, Angie Mahon's been involved, Indie singer songwriter protests at Meg O'Neil's house. That the facing of down on his luck at the art gallery the Woodside, the protest against Woodside Nippers, and the protest against Frio Doc has been sponsored by Woodside, and so it goes. So that is the reason we're asking the question today is over for the Woodside protest as the Yester twelve and the Nose of forty eight. So our listeners believe that the Woodside protests will continue. They have been painted as the absolute death star of environmental vandalism by the activists, and our listeners think it will, it will continue. Thanks for your thoughts, really appreciate it. You will keep a poll going right through until one o'clock today. We've had a couple of listeners asking about Steve Kilby, who is the singer, songwriter, frontman, bass player from the Mighty Band The Church. He's a bit of the Church. He's a bit of the Church. Thanks Max, What a song? What a song you like that? Macine so good? Unguarded moment. Steve Kilby is playing at the Milk Bar tonight in Ingwood. That's from seven o'clock. He's got some mates with him, Jack Frost, which is the album Grant mcclannin's got some strings there tonight he's playing some church songs. We're going to speak to St Steve Kilby, who sometimes has been described as Steve Gilby by announcers who who haven't got their act together, but still Steve Kilby is playing at the Milk Bar in Inglewood tonight. How good Steve Kilby from the church will join us on the program in about an hour and a half's time. I love this from Alien. We've talked to our listener Mark, who reckons he was detained without permission at Australia Post this morning delivering some milk as an uber driver. Aileen, you're funny, you're the voice of reason. You're also funny if Australia Posts can't get their milk delivered efficiently, delivered efficiently without incident. What I hope is there for our mail? No wonder it's in trouble as a business Ailien. That is excellent work for you. One double three eighty two is the is the phone number if you like to get in touch with us today. Chriss phone in, did I Chris, yeah, Diday.
Speaker 4: Mate, just wondering after years of court case protesters being able to lodge their appeal protests, now the bird it's been made to continued protests being harassment because it's different to protest if your case haven't mentioned in front of a court or in front of a hearing well once the desions made, shouldn't go again.
Speaker 2: Harassment because I don't know. I don't know, full stop new paragraph. I don't know if harassment is a crime. I suppose you can protest lawfully and unlawfully, Chris. And we have seen four of the bur up Hub you know, disrupt borrop Hub protesters have been have been before the courts when they trespassed at Meg O'Neil's house with intent to trespass at least and they were peened by the cops who were mysteriously tipped off as was mysteriously a crew from four Corners they my seriously tipped off as well. You reckon tip them off one if that was the protesters. But I don't know, mate, I guess the look. I think I'm an on this one. I think the protest will continue, but the hard line protests that some of the political activism hasn't just hasn't worked. And I think I'm okay to say this. I know Raylene Cooper who's an elder, a First Nations woman from the area, from the damp Here Burrob area. She is taking Murray What to court over this particular issue. So yeah, there's protests, mate, and the either lawful or unlawful, and there's mechanisms whereby protest groups and activists can try to head projects off at the pass. You can mount a very strong argument, certainly in my world and in our listeners world, that the hardline activism has not worked, given what we heard yesterday. Thanks Chris, thanks for your care. Mate. David Smith is the chairman of the Connolly Sos action group, joins me.
Speaker 34: Now coulda Dave, good day, Simon, and good day to your listeners.
Speaker 2: You've had a win. You and I talked a little while ago there was a potential for some apartments being built on the site of the Journal up resort, and looks like you've had a win with council.
Speaker 34: Yes, indeed, you know the last time we spoke is much anxiety amongst residents and everybody in the community. But that soon turned to jubilation and celebration on Tuesday night when the councilors voted in simple majority to oppose the local development Plan. So it's been a wonderful win for everybody, and we just want to thank the councilors for supporting the local residents. That's very important, and also to thank the residents for believing in us that we could actually get this to the point where we are at the present.
Speaker 2: Moment, David, is that's the prevailing mood jubilant? Is there any way for the proponents of the development to come back at this?
Speaker 34: Yes, there is. There's a couple of avenues that can take. They can obviously appeal to the what it's called the SDAU and obviously try and see whether they can get an opportunity to have decision reviewed. But obviously there's some other considerations that have to be taken into place when it goes through that mechanism, if you like. And my what we are really looking for is an opportunity to get all stakeholders around the table so we can do the right thing for the community, for the environment and everybody, and including addressing things like they're housing shortages that we experience and so on. So that's what we're hoping that we will get to at.
Speaker 4: The end of the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, so you will go to the State Administry of tribuneal I do know from because I read the Post newspaper group. I read this City Post every Friday. Sometimes accouncil may reject thing, but SAT may approve it.
Speaker 34: That is quite right. So this is often the case. But obviously they've got to treat things in their merits. And in this particular instance, the circumstances and the environment is very, very different to other things that they've considered in the past. Yep, so it will be quite a unique one, should I say, in this particular instance, And that's why I do believe that common sense will prevail and people will see a different side of the story that we would like to present. And I'm quite sure that you'll find an vicable solutions between us.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, Dave, well well done. I'm jubilant to a point, and we'll wait to see what whats that comes up with. Thanks for chatting to us.
Speaker 34: It's a pleasure, simon. Thanks for keeping in touch with us and keeping our story up on the air.
Speaker 2: Thank you, mate. David cheers mate, David Smith. I think he's at the dentist today, is he David? And says he's the chairman of the Connolly SOS action groups. Accounts of the city of Journal. Love of knocked back the developments on the Journal Loup resorts which were said to be three buildings fourteen twelve and six stories on the golf course. There are properties adjoining the golf course, and that those little colder sacks and those little streets there not being not back at this stage, but we'll go to Sat. It's coming up the fifteen and a half minutes past eleven. Love to hear from you today. Roger has sent us in a text so I'm an interesting discussion regarding cyclists and road use. Thank you Roger. It is millions spent on bike paths and still the like brigade use the road with a bike path on site, often double file. Now wonder motorists becoming patient and intolerant, intolerant. Plat's time to introduce licensing for cyclists And yes I'm a cyclist, Roger. The best example I can think of that is probably Burke Drive. There is people ride on Burke Driving in great number. As I said, singles, doubles, triples or in pelotons. The cycleway, mate, he's just not designed to have bikes on it, isn't it. It's short, it's got turns, it weaves through trees, so that's poorly designed. I do understand, you know. I often see big pelotons, big packs riding down Mount's Bay Road on the Old Puppa's Ride for example. That is, they don't use the cycle away there. They use the main road because they want to spread out and practice sprinting and all of that. And I am pro cycling, but I'm also pro licensing. I don't reckon that's a bad idea at all, Roger. If you're on a pushy on a grid hacker and you're using the road, you probably should pay a licen fee, even if you do it through your car. Rejoe. Anyway, I'm okay with that one. I reckon. Maybe cycles could pay twenty thirty fifty bucks a year to license their bikes. Good luck getting to do it, and good luck policing it. Seventeen minutes past eleven, I'm Simon Beimont Brandon, one of our correspondences. I first heard of the church the Band of the church when they opened with them and the divine or supporting Chris Isaac dan Free in two thousand and seven, I was only twenty under the Milky Way. How good year Rolling Stone Magazine a few years ago Brendan said it's the greatest Australian song of the last twenty years. So I'll ask Steve killbe you about that. That coming up on just a moment. We do have a couple of traffics related stories coming up for you in the next little while on Perth today. One of them is the issue of Burt. I've an added art which we've been discussing this morning. Very very popular bit of a cycling kit for people who ride around the river. It's two point seven k's in length, goes and Canning Highway right through to the Point Water golf course. Katie Mayor is the mayor obviously of Melow joins us now, Hey Katie.
Speaker 35: Oh, Hi Simon, how are you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you. This is a very busy bit of road, particularly for the ciphing crew, isn't it.
Speaker 34: Oh?
Speaker 35: It's very popular because it's by the water. It's absolutely delightful, beautiful drive.
Speaker 2: What are you thinking here?
Speaker 29: Well?
Speaker 35: We've got a petition from sixty four people saying that they wanted something done about speeding and noisy cars and motorbikes traveling along there and bicycles and so on like that. And I think there's been about eighteen crashes over a three or four year period, and so the council made a decision to just the other night to make sure there was a traffic study. Now, the traffic study is going to happen in the current in the coming financial years, so that's twenty five twenty six, and after that they'll present the options to the community. Whatever they come up with, the council will have a look at it and then we can make a decision. But yeah, it's very challenging. It's a very beautiful piece of road.
Speaker 2: It sure is. Yeah, it's a nice houses, great view the big Dog Park between the road and the river. It's a good bit of a good bit of real estate. Is it fifty k's an hour at the moment, Katie.
Speaker 35: Yeah, it's fifty k's an hour, And it looks like from what I've seen of the graphs that the people are generally in that range. But you know, obviously there's other factors so oh, there was a bit of a funny story about a few I mean, this has been going on for quite some time, the complaints about noise and so on like that, and traffic. And there was one fellow who said, oh, you know, he wanted to have a speed trap put along me to catch all the speeders. Well, the funny thing was that actually his son ended up getting a speeding ticket. The local residents really do need to slow down a little bit.
Speaker 18: Also.
Speaker 35: I know they're in a hurry to get home, but they need to be mindful that it is the big k. So let's not just blame the outsiders that use the road some sciences, actually the locals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is funny, Hey, Katie, sixty four complaints. Are they from people who live along the road or live in the area.
Speaker 35: Oh yes, yes, I gathered there from local residents that are concerned. So they put together this petition and presented it to council and the response to the petition is that there will be a traffic study to have a look at what to do. And you know, councilors who're just a bit worried it's just going to be a whole lot of speed humps. But the officers have assured us they're going to look at other types of options because yeah, you know, we've got a lot of speed humps already, and I think there's a bit of arching up in the community about the amount.
Speaker 2: You know, some of our listeners who are cyclist Katie have been in contact with us today. There's still a lot to be able to get through there at thirty thirty k's an our young standard cycling speed. I mean you can get through the back roads back through out of Dale and around there, but you're not trying to get cycles out of the area, are you.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 35: No, no, not at all, not at all. We've actually got a cycle path as you would probably know, along the foreshore. We don't have one along the road because the officers have said that really the bikes that go on the road are generally commuter bikes and they're moving fairly quickly and generally in groups, so they wouldn't sit on a cycle path even if we've put one along the drive. So that's the thinking at the moment. It doesn't mean that thinking can't change during the study. But no, no, there's no thought at all of getting cyclists offt there at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the cycle way, as you say, does go alongside the river, but we through the trees near the football over there, whose name eludes me at the moment, but that's It's okay if you're having a jog or a walk, but maybe not a maybe not for bikes. So Katie will probably go more in committing Yeah, probably know more in a couple of months time. Hey, Katie, your question without notice the we're doing an outside broadcast at the I think it's the it's over by the dome on the on the other side.
Speaker 9: Of you know net where the oh seat water Point.
Speaker 2: Deepwater Point. Yeah, I think we're heading down there next week. Maybe if you get a moment, come down and say hello, because we're both Brecky and mornings. Will be down in Perth now sorry.
Speaker 9: Perth to day, fantastic time.
Speaker 2: What time will be Well, the boys will be there from five thirty and I'll be down there from from nine o'clock. So if you get a moment drop in and say hello, hey.
Speaker 35: Oh definitely will yeah, all right, okay on Saturday, Saturday or.
Speaker 2: Sunday next Wednesday?
Speaker 35: Oh sorry Wednesday, Yeah to get downe okay, great, look forward to catching up.
Speaker 2: All right, We'll have a cup of tea. Thanks Katie. Cheers, Thank you, Katie.
Speaker 4: Mayor.
Speaker 2: So the mayor of the City of melbur was so twelve month study to look at all of the traffic through there. I think Katie said that the commuter groups are getting through there in the big packs or commuting commuters. Are you know, people writing to work? Aren't they are writing home? I think she's talking about the exercise crew of the Pelotons, and they do get through there in great number. It's one of those parts of Perth where there is a lot of cyclists. There's probably more cyclist than cars. To be honest, if you're driving through there is either going to the dog park or commuting through from point A to point B. And the road has been narrowed over the years. It's a lot narrower than what it used to be. Has some roadside parking and little parking areas. It's a lot narrower than it was in the eighties and nineties when I was riding through there. We'll come back in just a moment. There's a plan there is a plan to put a traffic tunnel, a tunnel for cars under the City of Perth. I've never heard of this before, and it's to do with the refurbishment of the Caribean Precinct a tunnel, a traffic tunnel under the City of Perth. S day listening.
Speaker 11: Truck remains broken down in Bayswater the Tonkin Highway northbound prior to Guildford Road. The left emergency lane is blocked. Traffic management on site as well. Make sure you drive it carefully.
Speaker 2: In the area.
Speaker 11: Otherwise moving well on the Mitchell beakanan On northbound. Still a little slow Ankintail Road, Graham Farmer and the tunnel no major issues. I'm Robbie Verm pouts, Traffic leader six PR.
Speaker 2: Go speak to Professor Peter Newman in just a moment, Professor of Sustainability at Curtin UNI. There's a plan which seems to be backed by the City of Perth to build a traffic tunnel under the City of Perth and it's to do with the refurbishment of the Korellian and the company involved is five Eighths, which five eight I think is one of the affiliates associated with with Andrew Forrest. I think we'll get to that in just a moment. Darren says the footy oval on Burke Driver is called Troy Park. Thank you, Darren. Spot on mate correct a window. Andrew says, might be a silly question who's using the cycle path alongside Burke Drive because it sounds like us not using them. Well, Andrew, they're twisty, turney, weavy through the trees and they just can't go at that thirty k's now, which is the sort of the minimum speed that exercise cyclists like to go at. The cycle way that Katie Mayer was mentioning, Mate is not appropriate or not suitable for people moving at speed. Sorry, if you're having a jog, having a walk, or riding in your mountain riding your mountain bike, Masa, you know, I like you, Mate. I've had a few inocent incidents with the liker brigade and there's so bloody arrogant. It's not bloody well funny. I've got no time, and they should be on cycle paths, not on our bloody roads. Well, mas A lot of them are exercising, mate and road cyclist, tray athletes or whatever fitness guys and girls, and a lot of the cycle ways aren't aren't designed to have bikes on them at thirty k's now a lot of them. A lot of them aren't. Thanks Masa. Let's remain friends if we can. There's a the City of Perth a considering a traffic tunnel. I've never heard of this before, considering a traffic tunnel under the city. Professor Peter Newman from Kurtin UNI, Professor of Sustainability joins us. Now, Hi, Peter, how are you good.
Speaker 36: I'm fine. And it's a traffic tunnel just to get trucks in to help build the site. It's not going to be a long term traffic tunnel, so it's it's a bit different to what you quite thought. I have to have a quick look at it because it worried me that we're going to try and build a great big road under Perth, which would be a real waste of money. And think you felt that too.
Speaker 2: Well, they're not cheap, are these things. So this is under the Murray Street more connects the Forest Place Basement Reserve with the new basement area of the proposed Carellan development. So, Peter, you're hearing that it's just for construction traffic.
Speaker 36: Yes, it's construction only. And look, it's very a very important development. This Karellian City. I think it's it's a missing link. There's now a lot more pests in Perth than cars. It's for the first time for a hundred years, you can say that. So people are coming pouring in from the railway station and they go through that area and they hit the Karelian area. It's hard to get through there. It's not very attractive. And then they go through all the way to Saint George's Terrace and all those developments and for the Elizabeth Keay and all that. So the tourists, for example, there's nothing much there for them. High Street Mall's been running down, so it does need redevelopment and it does need access. So they've come up with a clever solution of going under it because there's a whole lot of space under there, but there's some that they'll have to dig out as well. My problem is that they'll have to have a pedestrian strategy to get around it, you know, because at the moment that's going to go through two of the most frequently used areas, the Forest Place and Murray Street more. But so you can't just sort of load it up with dirt and junk and say where we're trying to make your future better, You're going to have to have a place where all the pedestrians can easily go around, and so that'll take a bit of doing. So it is a challenge, but it's not quite a big freeway under.
Speaker 2: The city, all right, Okay, hey, thanks for thanks for correcting us on that one, Peter. Is there anywhere in your consideration in the city, in the metro area where a tunnel would be helpful? I know they're very expensive. You're often drilling and making tunnels in a sort of a water environment. You know, you're in mard, you're in clay, you're in water. Is there anywhere where we might need a tunnel to think?
Speaker 36: Probably?
Speaker 14: Not.
Speaker 36: The only thing we really needed was to get the through. That was a very big thing and that that caused a lot of controversy at the time, and a lot of tunnel experts said, oh, it'll never work. And of course it's been brilliant and that's that's a major part of Perth now, to be able to go through the city like that, and you know, it's hard to imagine the place without it, and that's an important thing to realize. So I don't think there's anything much more. I reckon, it's all about fixing the streets now so that we can have better access for pedestrians, because they're now the biggest numbers, and that's how you make money. That's how you attract housing in more housing, more tourists, more activity, because Perth is is needs needing more activity. It's losing out on that, so we need to make it a really attractive place for the future.
Speaker 2: Peter. The last time I spoke, I was talking to you about the trackless tramp that sat on the city of Sterling forecourt for a while, and you know us federal government money and I think you and I'm paraphrasing here, Peter, I apologize. I've got this room. You said, this is like, this is like the mobile phone. This is an absolute game change of this one. I don't reckon. We're going to get at Peter. And there may be some liberal labor politics in all of this.
Speaker 36: Yeah, and interesting one we talked about this this week. There's a study being done on central Perth by the Girl group from Denmark that has done two other studies before that led to Elizabeth Key and lots of other innovations in Perth, which we love now. So they're good people and they're very keen on a trackless tram coming through to the city from out Curtain Way and then up through to the north out to Sterling. Look, it's growing in acceptance, the lot of them, our processes. The local governments love it, the developers love it, the communities love it. There's a lot of issues with the bus industry that don't particularly want it because they think it's taking over from them. All of that has to be worked through, and I think it will be because it's it is like a mobile phone. You can't you can't go back to the old phone systems. This changed our lives. Everybody in the world now is this mobile phone and that will happen with these smart systems that are coming in with with public transport. They are so much better. They're not just like a diesel bus that's converted to run on electricity.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 4: It's a lot better than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just a final one from me, a bit of chat around about improving the ferry systems on the river. We've tried them before and didn't have a great take up. You know, perhaps it's hard get to a ferry terminal. It's a little bit slow. People prefer to drive the car or use the train. Do you think there's a case to expand our ferry systems, Peter, Yeah.
Speaker 36: Look, it's a little bit. They could. They could definitely get better and they'll go up the river a bit more around to the area around the Opter Stadium and that sort of thing that they have special uses. But they're never a mass transit solution. They never are going to carry a lot of people because you can't get to them easily and it's Perth River winds a lot, so it takes a lot of time. No, we're not going to be able to compete with how quick to get from A to B, which is what transports mostly about. But our trains are now showing you can do it better than in a car on many of our routes. So if you didn't get from South Perth to Perth quicker than by going by car, and that would be during peak out for example, then you know it's got a future and there may be a few more sites like that. To UWA for example, was one, but I don't see it as a big solution.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, yeah, I think when we tried it back in the day, the PTA trial to Peter, and they even offered up, you know, free coffee in a free newspaper on the trial and people still didn't use it.
Speaker 36: So yeah, you can't bribe people into changing in the transport and it's better. We've got to get something better and that includes bitting faster and cheaper and better, better ride all of that. People are not stupid that they're going to choose rather than getting all those incentives. So yeah, I look we're getting to grips with these I think the trackless trand for example, is a better option. It's going to be cheaper and better and faster. Yeah, and it's the kind of thing that will help our main roads get better.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Very interesting that you reckon the bus. The bus industry doesn't like it. Peter, always good to chat. Thank you for your time today. Okay, see see professor Peter Newman from Curtain University formerly known as the WA Institute of Technology. When I went there in the eighties for one year in engineering before the MAT's got too hard one double three eight A handy two? What do you reckon? We need a tunnel and would you Yeah, I mean I know we've talked about a fair bit on the station about the expansion of the ferry system. They're just slow, aren't they. And our it's not like we're not like Sydney Harbor where you can catch the Mouni ferry to work or you know the ferry around those water taxis that get you around around Sydney. It's just a different river system, isn't it. Our big estory one double three a D two. David Honey, then member for codder Slow. Back in the day he spoke to Oliver Peterson, host of Perth Live about building a tunnel through through to Uwa and through the Netherlands. Have a listen.
Speaker 26: How good would a tunnel understealing highway be?
Speaker 8: Look, I think it'll be fantastic. You know places you go to Sydney and I was really surprised the last time I went there just how easy it is for such a massive city to get out of there. And they really cleverly used tunnel in major congestion points. So north of the river you go to see Diego in Chile, they've got a major freeway system that runs in length of that system a city. It's extremely constrained geographically all in the valley and that works brilliantly and I just think this is a great solution that is much lower cost than people think.
Speaker 2: David Honey speaking to our man Ollie Peterson back in twenty twenty three one double three eight e two. This one here from Norm Gida. Norm, how a mate? What we do need is a roadbridge to join Wellington on Moslim part two point Waldron Biicton over Blackwall Reach says Norm. That's a bridge roadge chees mate. This one here from one of our listeners. I've got a long one about Burke Drive and I think it's from I can't quite big the name because it's how do I look at that? Max? Help me out? Thanks, mate, Well, we'll try. And I'm a resident on Burke Drive. Tom from Adada. I'm a resident on Burke Drive and I feel the first thing I'll say is that I feel the cycles of their own worst enemy. For the record, A big fan of the cycles they provide atmosphere, but when they're traveling four or five wide, there are sure to be potential issues. I say the biggest issues the resident have is the noise they create early hours of the morning, and they are noisy. Tom, I've lived on the road because as they talk as a riding past, even having a chat, they're shouting right, and they created early hours of the morning. I'm a fan of the guys and girls with ride Brass. They need to conform to what is the general consens of relation to the noise in the mornings, almost like a building site. They need to keep the noise down before seven am. Thanks Tom, and thank you for your comprehensive thought thoughts on people who are riding down Burt Drove. They do speak really, really loud. Yeah, you're yelling at each other in the pack because they've got you know, wind wind in their ears, so they're shouting at each other. Seventeen and a half minutes to midday. Where do we need a tunnel? Get I Terry?
Speaker 37: Okay, Simon Simon. Firstly, mate, I hope you've dusted up to Beanie because the cold weather's coming in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I will try old Bob dust off by Sapporo.
Speaker 13: Beating Terry Okay, thank you mate.
Speaker 37: There's a couple of ways you can do a tunnel. You could do it from the under the Hay Street overpass heading onto the Nanows one there to stop that blockage of all the traffic coming from the city and Freeway north. And you can also structure a tunnel under the causeway from Riverside Drive which brings you up at the back of Canning Highway towards the Birds over Pass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, not a bad idea. Hey, Terry. Have you have you been across the new bridge, the new Harrison Island Bridge.
Speaker 37: No, I haven't made no, no, not as yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't give it a go mate. It's pretty good. It's like three lanes wide and yeah it's good, a bit of nice view.
Speaker 37: I might take a cycle class there, but I'll get abused by all the pedestrians.
Speaker 2: You won't, mate, We cyclists of people too, Terry, You'll be right, thanks mate, Thanks you call Terry the Yeah, the new bridge is good, isn't it? Have you I've riden my bike over there, had to walk over. It's good. It's got a bit of a hill in it. I've got a little bit bit weavy, little bit of a view like a new bridge, the Heriston Island Bridge one level three eighty two, a bridge over Lake June Lup to connect jon Lup and Wanneroo. These ideas that and Barclays idea thanks am, I'll put that in the mix. You may have read some stories on you would have heard this as a rumor on the rumor file, and you may have read some stories on Perth Now South Cooogie Junior Footy Club, which is Glen Jackevitch's old footy club have got two ovals. One of them is lit at night, has got flood lights. The other one isn't and it's a little bit dangerous for the kids who've been training on it, the footy kids who have been training on it. And it's a matter of Western Power have the job ready to go. The funds are there, Western Power haven't got around to putting up the connecting the flood lights. Just as yet. It was in our rumor file on Monday. We'll bring you up to date with that. It's called it at twelve now. Andrew Andrew says, Hi, Simon god Andrew. Hello, mate, So a group of teenagers on bikes or Eastwood as we treat like criminals, but a group of men riding bikes we meant to treat them like royalty. Something has gone wrong. Who's saying we need to tream like royalty? Mate? They're just people doing exercise and that's thing. That's the thing. They're doing exercises, and it's exercise. Andrew a group of teenagers on bikes, two hundred of them riding out from Charles Riley Reserve, mate and doing fifty sixty k's an hour. That we do need the police to crack down on them. Steve says Simon. I'm with Anne. A bridge from June Lot to Wanneroo Road, Say Steve, how long is that? It's all twenty It'll be like it would be long, Yeah, it would be long. A tunnel under Oroon Road from Graham Farmer Freeway to Leach Highways is Jacob cheers, Jacob, thank you, mate. Zeno reckons the Harrison Island bridges is rusty already. And if you're listening the program yesterday, as Anne is thirty one weeks pregnant this Friday and we were trying to find a name for her Bubba. I'm obviously advocating for a little baby simone, which which strangely is getting traction with Anne herself, and we were discussing the idea of maybe naming the baby after a horse that's won the Melbourne Cup. And Brendan says, a new bridge for Anne to little Drimus in a pram that's funny and was on the radio earlier. May have heard her. She was on the radio and I heard her thank you, Jakie boy, thank you and a couple of texts about tunnel which we've just read out. This was a rumor file earlier in the week on Monday, I think it was. The rumor was from after the siren and it's about South Cooogie Junior Footy Club.
Speaker 38: Rumour has it whilst the South Koogee Junior Footy Club are waiting for Western Power to turn on new floodlights at Santich Park, kids are getting hurt from training in the dark. Apparently Western Power needs to upgrade the distribution board, which mon't be done until the end of June. Why so long despite parents trying to use their car lights to light up the ground. Apparently a child broke his finger last week trying to mark the ball in the dark.
Speaker 2: Then Andrews is the VP, the vice president of the South Cougie Junior Football Club, which includes, amongst alumni, the Jackowitch brothers. Good A, Glenn Good Yeah, very well. So do we have any updates from I know that person now run a story as well. Do we have any updates from the rumor? Fig Win.
Speaker 30: Not really. Well, let's just say West and I still haven't concert us direct, as they may have said on a Facebook post. Just a couple of things on our perth.
Speaker 34: Now.
Speaker 30: We never said parents are holding their mobile phones out with torches, because that's as good as holding the kindles out there. To be honest, Yeah they are. They are using their car lights. I set up my year as well. This body is on there to help us train. We don't expect kids to train in the dark, but they want to train, they want to learn, they want to they want to get better skills. So we're on game day, you know, we can go out there and hopefully win a game. That's what it's all about, you know, it's about the kids having fun. Oh of course we've got twenty one teams. So we're told last year started this year. The lights been up since off February. March got told we're going to be connected by April. We're like, great, we can allow more kids to register because we don't want no footy club once not that kids from being able to play football.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that's what it's all about.
Speaker 30: So we were able to accommodate, and when well we're going to have two obles with lights, we'll be able to accommodate. So currently we've got one oval, which no one trains on a Friday for obvious reasons, when we all mainly all play on Saturday. So we've got twenty one teams trying to train four nights a week.
Speaker 2: On one oval on one oble. Yeah all right, mate, what a Western power saying? I understand all of that. And there it must be frustrating to see them just sitting there and you can't turn them on.
Speaker 30: Well, the ironic thing is now they won't turn on anyway because due to the installation and they're not working, the lovely white cockies have now gone to strip the cable off most of them.
Speaker 2: Oh no, damn those white cookies. Yeah that's no good.
Speaker 30: Yeahs they make across across the city.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so that we do have, yeah, that no standing, mate, And that that can be fixed, I guess, can we fixed hopefully reasonably quickly? What are Western powers to you? Can you you're going to get the lights on before the season finishes.
Speaker 30: Well, here's here's hoping, Like I said, they haven't actually reached out to us directly. Obviously I have seen we're looking at the end of the City of Coburn to come back to us and said they're looking at the end of June. So we've only got you know, probably by the end of June, there's only five six weeks left. Yeah, actually not even that, probably about four weeks left. Yeah, the season two thirds over by.
Speaker 2: That stage, so yeah, damn yeah, sorry, you can go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 30: So we've got we've got nine I was kicked teams this year as well, and obviously, you know, kids want to play under lights and all the fun. But we on a Sunday, both lables are full of oz Kick kids. So we're the logistics of trying to have Friday nights for oz Kick, you know, one year this week, one year that it's it's it's not feasible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, the grass in the your cobae, the grass.
Speaker 30: You can use. We've contact with the council. Obviously Tuba Up got their lights on, but obviously that's been used for them. There is one one or two lights out of the Angel Up ground where we're currently trying to speak with the council to see if we can use that. But the problem that is is only one goal process, so that doesn't help either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be frustrating. You know, you've been you've been given an assurance year the lights will be on at the start of the season, you know, obviously than the night are getting longer now, so you do need the lights and you've got a problem with some of the kids can't.
Speaker 30: Yeah. We've explained to all the coaches that if it's not safe, don't do it. The kids are going to get hurt. It's football. They're going to get pumps and bruises, they're going to get.
Speaker 39: Knox and all the rest of it.
Speaker 30: We get that, but to try and train with what lightning we've got, it's not the best, but you know, the club does what it can to make it work.
Speaker 2: Yea, yeah, yeah, Well, I mean if anyone's from West and Western Power, we'll get these transcripts made through their media monitors, you know, and they yeah, get onto Western Power if you can, if you can hear us, because that's that's that's what the plan wasn't and that was what was promised. Glenn Goodwill, Yeah, good to talk to you mate. Yeah, all the best if thank you Glenn Andrews from South Cousey Junior Football Club and as I said, that's so, we're with Glenn and Allen Jakovich grew up plying their traders as kids, quite a prominent junior footy club. They're just off just off Stock Road at Sandwich Park. That was on the rum A file, so you know Sillem had the lights turned on one double three eighty two. There's a couple of stories, just a couple of quick up days. Looks like Sean Darcy will play for FRIO this weekend. I think they're playing on Saturday against the Gold Coast Sons. So Shawn Darcy's on the plane, which is good. And Mag Sizbanski has revealed that she has a form of blood cancer, which is a great shame. Mag that can be outspoken but of course incredibly funny dude through the over the journey. But she's crook, which is no good. We'll come back three and a half to mid day. I think I'm about to have a slight disagreement with a fellow Quanana residents or former Quanana resident, Troy four one nine O Troy, I drive a truck around the Metro all day, every day. The amount of so called exercises on bikes with no reflectors on their pedals or their rims is illegal. No one of they're getting hit at night, Troy, the ones we're getting hit at night with the east scooters and MATEO, I don't have reflectors on my pedals or my my rims of my pushy. Didn't know you needed to be on a race bike, mate, Thanks Troy, Sorry to disagree, fellow for one niner midday mel Crittle.
Speaker 1: Next until one. This is Perth Today with Simon Beaumont on Perth six. Pr Owen from East Frio.
Speaker 2: Goodah, thanks for making contact mate, he said, Hello Simon, and talk about cyclists here. Riverside Road, East Frio, Preston Point Road, Bicton Conning Highway to Burk Drive Saturday Sunday morning to the same issues as Burke Drive. One lane road completely dropped, blocked off by bikes and no stopping for a roundabout stop signs, vehicles doing speed limits. They sound like a gaggle of geese. Lords of the road, says Ohen so Owen is spotting that south of the river and that unfortunately, as I said, some cyclists do behave badly sometimes in these big pelotons. Thanks for listening in. It is good on you Owen. Thanks, good to hear from you. Mate. It is eight minutes past midday. Doctor Bell Critle joins us. Now high Mel, good to see you. Yeah, good going well, Yes, thank you and you yeah going very well. Thank you. If you'd like to speak to Mel, you can our best caller today. Wins the next half hour. Wins a bag of Cherish pet food bespoke to your pet. We had Scott from Cherish in a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 26: Yeah, that was good. It was listening to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's good, good guy, isn't he. They are based down in Naval Base. They manufacture and make all the and produce all the food down there. They're a local producer. Had some dramas a couple of years ago with a fire they did. They were of action.
Speaker 26: Yeah, it's nice to see them back on deck and their product out there in circulation and yeah, cats eating it.
Speaker 2: Give it to your animals.
Speaker 26: I look, I switched to another one because of the fire and I haven't gone back, but yeah, they're still getting through their bags. Yeah, I got too fuss at home anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. Yeah, Cherish pet food folks will give them. Give that away today a bag of Cherish pet food for for our best caller one double three ad to big changes mell this week in the pet industry.
Speaker 26: Hate those laws have come into play for the pet shops. Yeah, so I was reading, Yeah, on the twenty six, I think it was that it doesn't look like the two or three pet shops in wa went ahead and renewed the licensing to source pets from to sell from refuges. So I think I know the Clermont store near us is. I believe he is no longer open. So yeah, so I guess it just I mean, I can see why they're doing it, you know, to reduce unwanted yeah, dogs and cats, but in this instance primarily the dogs and sort of just trying to cut down on puppy farming and backyard breeders and that sort of thing. Yeah, we do see a lot of the refuges are full, so it's yeah a situation.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We spoke to the Shenton Park guys earlier this week and they are replete with dogs at the moment. I think they've got about seventy on their books that they'd be keen to kind a home for Yes, if you like to speak to Melie can one double three, one double three, eight to eighty two if you like to give us a call. Melog I don't know if this is going to be proven or proven out, but it just feels like this mainly to the expensive dogs becoming more expensive.
Speaker 26: I wonder, I mean the same, Yeah, I guess. You know, it was interesting during COVID in those times when we were all in lockdown and felt like everyone went out and got a dog, and I guess it was the only time that I can recall in a long time that, Yeah, the refuge numbers were low, and the price of puppies from pet shops and breeders and that thing and that sort of thing, it was very, very high. It's come down a little bit, but you do wonder, yeah, whether there's going to be a bit of an adjustment there because I guess that that sort of Yeah, the ease of getting a puppy from a pet shop is no longer yeap. But as I said, yeah, whether you know, I suppose then you're sourcing from over East, is there's risks with that and what you might purchase. So again, yeah, just going back to the adoption, not just the dog refuge home. There's plenty of other rescue centers that have dogs that they're trying to find foster homes for or actual permanent homes. So yeah, it'd be nice to see some of those numbers reduced.
Speaker 2: We spoke to the RSPCA. They did a bust on a house recently. One hundred and seventeen dogs. Oh my goodness, and one garden inside and outside. That's a lot in it.
Speaker 26: That's a lot. We hear of stories of cats of that number. I'll tell you about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dogs, a lot of yu Canuba.
Speaker 26: That's a lot, a lot of energy as well.
Speaker 2: Adam Gilkish would say, I've on phone in you can one double three eight eighty two. Any behavioral staff for stuff to do with your dogs cats? Can I ask you goldfish question? Mel I every now and then you get them. I've got one goldfish, yes, probably fifteen centimeters long, probably three or four years old. Wow, is he going to live for much longer? How long do they live for?
Speaker 26: Ah, now you've got me on the spot. I think they can live. I mean some of them will live for years. Some of the bigger fish, you know, will live decades, so you're obviously taking really good care of.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's by accident used to have a lot more fish in the tank. So it's ninety the tanks. It's a big tank, right, Yeah. Can I introduce little fish into that? Do you think was it too big on its own?
Speaker 14: Well?
Speaker 26: I probably don't need to. Yeah, that is what I'd be worried about. Yeah, because I have had that happen myself, as you sort of introduce smaller fish and than they are and they disappear. Yeah, they're no longer really there for very long, so that would be my only Yeah, sort of thought on that.
Speaker 2: You've done very well, thank you.
Speaker 26: But I suppose if I give you a number, then this fish will outlive that, so we sort of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, would you like me to say anything you like, because I trust you don't betray that trust Man Martin's phone in Goo Martin.
Speaker 20: Him mel Simon. I'm actually asking for a friend. They've got a to cross.
Speaker 8: Mold.
Speaker 20: Teese's about thirteen years old, very quiet, reserved little guy, and in the last couple of weeks he started growling and backing away from his food bowl. Yes, he seems to be afraid of it, and she's changed the bowl, she's put the bowl in a more lighted area. But yeah, he's still doing this. So she's reverted to feeding in my hand out of the bowl.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 20: Yeah, but yeah, and I'll said to them, you know, I'll give you guys a ring and find it if you can maybe explain that.
Speaker 26: Yeah, Look, it's a tricky one, Martin. I guess what we do know that you know, whether something has happened, whether there was a sound or a movement or a taste or whatever, and something has you know, caused the dog to have an aversion to that particular type of bowl. And I guess you've sort of touched on my first suggestion, which sometimes it can actually be the type of bowl for whatever reason, the dog just decides that that bowl is no longer suitable. You know, if it was a stainless steel bowl, then sometimes trialing you know, ceramic bowls or glass bowls or plastic bowls, you know, can can assist you've done the right thing. In an older dog as well, where their vision may not be as good as it is. You know, he the dog may sort of be seeing something else associated with the bowl or in an area the bowls in an area that he feels uncomfortable with. So sometimes in his instance, and it sounds like your friend is already kind of doing that, I suppose I wouldn't be suggesting, you know, sitting there hand feeding the dog all the time. But some dogs just will not go back to a bowl, and we actually do need to feed them on the floor on a different surface, So even like a flat plate something like that, and in a different area you could try does he still eat the food that's being offered, Martin, do you know.
Speaker 20: Yes, he's happy with the food. Yeah, the food nothing changed, Yes, nothing changed all of a sudden.
Speaker 26: Yeah.
Speaker 20: The sight thing could be because he's he's getting.
Speaker 26: On absolutely and yeah, that's right. And at thirteen there's can be changes.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 26: Sometimes cataracts will start to play a player role. Sometimes the back of the eye will start to we call atrophy and their vision and certainly vision you know, in dim lighting can be reduced and he might know his food there, he just can't quite sort of see it all that well. So a wealthy area and maybe just playing around with plates and different sort of surfaces to feed him on would be where I would be heading, Martin.
Speaker 20: All right, thank you very much, good.
Speaker 2: Luck, cheers mate, it's nice, yes, fining for a friend, ring doctor doctor Kriddle on it. That's good today, Scott.
Speaker 13: Yeah, guys got maybe the dog's growling because it doesn't have cherish in it. But but well, my wife on the radio a couple of weeks ago and went out and brought a puppy on Monday.
Speaker 2: Because.
Speaker 13: Cool she did.
Speaker 26: What did she get?
Speaker 13: But Cody? We got a little kavood all ships crash. Yes, she's very gorgeous. But our Tibetan spaniel, Cody's are taking a little while we warm up. So I was just after some chips and maybe how long it takes for him to get over another dog in the house.
Speaker 26: Yeah, Scott can sometimes take a while. And what we have come to know is it really depends on they talk about social character, so it really depends on what sort of dog Cody is and what sort of dog this new puppy is. So probably worth you know, just getting some video of both of them and how they behave and I can send it to the trainers and get some advice for you. But what we do know is that you know, there's dogs that are protective in the home, there's the decision maker ones as the ones that are just pro social and don't really care about much. They just sort of make up the numbers. So just knowing what sort of personality both of them are will then help you in getting them used to each other. But the short answer is it will take time and just making sure they've both got their own sort of areas, sleeping areas, you know, feeding areas, and that Cody's not feeling threatened by the new addition. I did it. I think you've heard me talk about the two dogs. Did it a few couple of years ago. Now, my old boy, Yeah, he probably took a good couple of months to really come out of his shell and be accepting of the new one. They don't sit there and snuggle up on the couch together, but they live quite happily and we'll sort of have moments of play and stuff. So if you want to send me through some videos, I can and can probably give you more specific advice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he send him to appreciate it. Yeah, and theyve Scott. What's the new one called.
Speaker 7: Mango?
Speaker 2: Mango? Mango mango as in the fruit that's pretty good? Is it orange?
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's light Brown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, well Scott, thanks mate, Thanks Scott, Thanks Martin. David has sent us a text. We'll come to that in just the moments. Eighteen minutes past midday. If you like speak to Mel Critle you can from the swan Born Vet Center. Our best caller will win a bag of Cherish pet food bespoke customized to your pet doctor. Mel Critles with us today. If you likes his phone, Mel, you can twenty one minutes past midday, Gillian, We'll get to you in just a second. David's texted a smell. He's got two goldfish are now six years old. The one became fish oil under the lemon tree. Six years old. We've got them. Didn't imagine this long, and David, it can be longer.
Speaker 26: Yes, I was just having a look. What was The average age was ten to fifteen years. The longest one on record is forty three years, so you could try and break that, Simon.
Speaker 2: I amazed to live this long. Yeah, you know, it's just sort of it's just there. And when I clean the tank once a month, I take it down and put it in a really small little jar, and it doesn't look happy, and then it goes back in and there's no trauma, no shock.
Speaker 26: You've got it all, damn pat.
Speaker 2: And yeah, when you haven't fed it for a while, it follows you around the around the room.
Speaker 26: And they're quite cool as Yeah. I had fish for a while and that was little. I don't know, there's little personalities and yeah, what they behaviors is quite fascinating.
Speaker 4: You see.
Speaker 2: I like freshwater goldfish. Hey Gillian, and thanks for calling. And how are you?
Speaker 16: Oh?
Speaker 28: Good morning? Perhaps you all afternoon? Now beautiful rame, we're having its fantastic.
Speaker 27: Now.
Speaker 28: I have two lots of questions I've got I've got two cockertools, both males, so they're in separate pages. Where can I get their wings cut? I used to get them cut by friends, but they don't do them now stop them one flying all around the house.
Speaker 26: Yeah, you've got to watch out for those ceiling fans and whatnot. Jillian. Oh, well, I could do a shame plug as well. And so you could bring them to Swanborne Vet and we will will trim them for you. But any any local veteriny clinic, Jillian will be able to do a wing clip for you. I understand some of the there was a bed center I think in Balcata, and I needn't know that they used to do wing clipping and what not to. But I suppose from my point of your Jillian, I'm only really familiar with Yeah, us vets, vets doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you live in Woodville?
Speaker 28: Yeah, yes, I live in Woodville, So I need somewhere up this way. I used to take them to Hillis, but the lady went to Bewcata. She used to do their wings their nails free.
Speaker 2: Yeah, might be too might be too far for you. But there's a bird place in the Swan Valley. I think it's called.
Speaker 28: That's a long way for me to know.
Speaker 26: Yeah, okay, I would honestly and look at some local Yeah whatever the closest a couple of vets are to you.
Speaker 28: Yeah yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah. Can I ask him some other questions about my daughter? My daughter's got five rescue cats, had them on and off for about ten years. One was a feral cat on our baby. The feral mom she's gone deaf denile. She's never been out since my daughter had They've got a big cat pen, great big cat pen for them all to go in. But this this sni one she's got dementia. I think she wants to go outside in there and just lays in the grass all day long or under the bushes. She doesn't go to get out of the house or out of the garden anywhere. Yes, but why did they do that? So she's going back to her where she used to live out in the bush.
Speaker 26: Yeah, I mean, you know, as they get older, and certainly if that cognitive function isn't as good as they used to, you know, we often find that they will, you know, sleep twenty two hours a day and really only get up to eat and go to the toilet, and then they're back to sleep again. And I found with my boy as he got older, he really he had his spots that he would love and he'd sort of just shift around through them. You know, someoneould be in the sun and he'd you know, he'd find a grassy area to sort of snuggle up in. And I guess they as again, as their cognitive function reduces, they really sort of just become set in a routine and it's a bit of a pattern. So as long as she's still eating and drinking and toileting, all right, Jillian and I wouldn't be too worried about that.
Speaker 28: You know, in terms of quality of life, my daughter had Skip giving her these tablets to the core eat. Then she wanders all around the house at night. But she was a fairer part. She's about sixteen or seventeen the vet. But now she sleeps in that bed with the bed with them more than the other plants.
Speaker 26: Yeah, it's funny how their behavior changes as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, thanks Jillian, thanks for your cool good luck with getting cockertils wings trimmed. There is did you say there was a wood a veting woodwell and tops there's a doctor Todd at Woodvale does birds. We think, Jillian, so doctor Todd at Woodvale. Thank you. This one here from Michael Gooday, Simon and mel what's your opinion mail on Foresight, which is the numeral for and then cyte supplements. I think you and I've talked about this before. Yes, a dog in its left leg vectors to try these supplements. We couldn't afford the expensive surgery.
Speaker 26: Yes, I really like Foresight, so it's one of the ones that we do. There's lots of product joint supplement products out there on the market, but Foresight is one we do keep in the clinic at Swanbourne. It's got a marine plant extract in it called Epitalis, and I guess I like it because there are actually studies behind it to show that it does help with cartilage regeneration and that sort of thing too. So it comes in there's granules for sort of chronic arthritis management and then there's a gel formation of formulation. Sorry that is for sort of acute injuries. So quite often we will have patients on one or other of them for whatever sort of condition were trying. But yeah, I really like the foresight, so highly recommended.
Speaker 2: You have to get it through your ved.
Speaker 26: Yeah, it is over the counter, so it's one. Yeah that's over the counter. But yeah, we stuck it at the clinics.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, thanks Michael, well answered Melworld done. One of our listeners reckons, I don't know if this has got a name on it. We had a goldfish born in their pond that lived for twelve years. Thank you to that correspondent. A bit of gastro around for domin.
Speaker 26: You have seen a lot of gastro and in chatting with one of the emergency centers earlier this week as well, because we were so busy I couldn't accept anymore. They've had the same thing, so it's interesting. It's sort of and I was chatting to Sean when I arrived. You know, parvovirus this time of year is just something to be aware of. It's a virus that is highly resistant in the environment. So with this rain coming it will stay in the environment for attating in soiled milk. Yeah, so it's possibly been covered by the soil and then the rains will wash it away and expose it. So just a remind to everyone to make sure that your dog is up to date with its paravo virus vaccination. But I guess at Swanborne we haven't so much seen pavo. It's just gas stros vomiting, diarrhea, but a lot of them have been unwell enough to warrant, yeah, needing to be in hospital on drips and just the additional supportive care. So something is we're seeing a bit of a run of that at the clinic at the moment.
Speaker 2: Puppy's getting oculated against paro, don't they atute.
Speaker 26: Lately, So we do a most vets do a three vaccination protocol to really kick start that immunity and then it's they have an adult booster of it, and then it's most vaccines, it's every three years to continue with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know it's in soil mill. What is it a Is it a little bug? Is it like as a virus?
Speaker 26: So viral particles? Yeah, so the virus is shed. So you know, the dog with PAVO that went to the park had a bit of diarrhea, shed the viral particles in that stool, and then that just sits there in the environment. Yeah, resistant before it sort of eventually breaks down. But it doesn't have to be living in a host to sit there. So this is where the next you know, innocent dog comes along, has a bit of a sniff where a dog might have passed a year ago, and and potentially you know ingests these these viral particles and then.
Speaker 2: To pass on through fecal matter.
Speaker 26: Yeah, so fecal oral doesn't that sound delicious?
Speaker 2: Dust? Sure? I'm looking forward to. Yes, today's Continental roles. Our winner today of the bag of cherish is not Scott who's the who's the new owner of Mango and the old owner of Cody because got works of cherish so he can't win it. But Martin, who ranging about his friend's dogs scared of their food ball. We've got some cherish coming out your way, mate, So yeah, thanks thanks to Scott trying to win his own product. Yeah all right, Heyl, thank you very much.
Speaker 26: You're welcome.
Speaker 2: Give Tony carle for us. Do you still have that vet working with you? Who's the mad Collingwood support? Yes, Leah Leah, she's still with us.
Speaker 26: Yeah. So they've got Hawthorn this week, so that'll be interesting.
Speaker 24: Yeah.
Speaker 26: No, she's having a great year this year. So we don't talk about football.
Speaker 2: Much being West coast, yes, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 26: Avoid those conversations.
Speaker 2: Bruce's here, Bruce to watch Origin Game one last night. Of course I did absolutely enjoy it. Yes, and no one sided, but still a good game, wasn't it. It was you sort of.
Speaker 5: I'm always concerned with Origin because they tend to put the best players out there, and the best players try to win the game every time. So I thought New South Wales will one up all the time, where at least Queensland threw it around. I thought he's a better flowing game from Queensland.
Speaker 36: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Still, good boy, he's got across and we won.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Happy Trell Mitchell he's a man. He's anything happened there, absolutely anything. You never know whether he's going to jump in the crowd and punch on with the spectators or whatever he's going to do. Mel. Thank you, lucky to have you on the show and I look forward to seeing you in a fortnite.
Speaker 26: Sounds good.
Speaker 2: But on doctor Melkriddle from the Swan born vets End is still to come on the show. Steve Kilby, they say again Kilby, not Gilby, mister bell, I can't remember it saying it. I was under the pump. Steve Kilby will join us after twelve thirty. So he's playing tonight at the Milk Bar, which is in Mount Lorly. Yeah, but what's the old civy? Yeah, the old Civy and he's going it's quite an unusual show. He's got a string enseball and a few special guests. But he will be playing some church stuff as well. There's a bit of go between. It's a bit of church stuff. But Steve Kilby will join us on the phone in a just a minute, as will ow unclear. We'll have a look at the stock market hop us twelve looking good out there at the moment.
Speaker 5: No DeLay's on the Mitchell Kranana, Graham Farmer and the North Bridge Tunnel also good run through the city and the metro area. If it is where, please drive to the conditions, give yourself an extra breaking distance and more time to get to where you're going, and also keep in mind double the mirror points in play for the wa long weekend. This evening starts at midnight right through until Monday, the second of June. I'm Bruce wallsh On Perth Traffic Leader six PR.
Speaker 2: Running a pole today. Do you think this is curtains for the Woodside protesters?
Speaker 9: Yes? Or no?
Speaker 2: Jacko hijacko. He says no. They will never stop their protest. We are keeping a poll today and we'll keep it tally through until right through until one o'clock. It's twenty four minutes to one o'clock. Let's take pause. Let's go to our newsroom here at six PR. John Nichols, good afternoon, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Simon, Good afternoon. A man has died after the scooter he was riding was hit by a truck in Perth South. That happened just after half past ten last night at the intersection of Canning and Sterling Highways in East Premattle and police are looking for witnesses. Police are also seeking information about the whereabouts of a fifty two year old Perth man who's now been missing for almost three weeks. Paul Michael Lamp's last known location was at a cal Gooley business on the tenth of this month. Please believe he may have been traveling to Coolgardi that afternoon. A high end e bike has been recalled because it's batter short circuit and cause of fire. The recall affects the Santa Cruz Heckler nine with interchangeable seven hundred and twenty whatt lithium iron batteries. In tennis, Alexi Poppron has described his latest win at the French Open as the most solid match he's played all year. The Australian twenty fifth seed advances to the third round at Roland Garriss for the first time. You'll now face Nuno Borges. Twenty degrees at the moment. Showers increasing today with the chance of a late storm, down to thirteen overnight showers and twenty three tomorrow with a thunderstorm likely.
Speaker 2: More news at one. Thank you very much, John, Thanks for all of that. It's twenty two twenty two minutes to one o'clock. We're going to talk to Steve Kilby. Now, Steve Kilby's in Perth, former front man of the Church, of course, is tricky. He's never talked to stell Steve Kilby without mentioning the Church. And he's got a nice little show tonight at the Milk Bar, which is in Inglewood, the former Civic Hotel, and Steve Kilby is about to join us.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: I know these are old songs. I know these albums go back to the nineteen eighties. But I hope you don't. Hope Steve doesn't mind me playing that thumping bassline. We talked to him before he does playing the bass because all the dust falls out of the roof and the whole building shakes. But he's here, and this show is called Jack Frost and Grant mcclennan and me. I mean you to introduce Steve. Do you play under the milky Wade? Do you play unguarded moment? I've chosen this one. Oh yeah, when you were mine. Now, I used to own a hold in HQ. I used to play that at eleven. I used to play that at eleven every single time I was in. Steve Kilby joins us right now today, Steve, how are you hey?
Speaker 39: How are you good?
Speaker 2: Mate? Welcome back to Perth.
Speaker 39: Yep, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell us about this show tonight, because it's a show with a bit of a difference, isn't it it is?
Speaker 39: I'm looking In nineteen ninety one and then again in nineteen ninety four, Grant mcclennan and I made two albums together and they've just been re released after all these years by a record company in England. And I've got this wonderful bunch of Perth musicians. We've been doing this tour. We did it in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane and tonight is the last night and it's in Perth and we're really all playing well. We've got a cello and a violinist, we've got two guitarists, a keyboard player and two drummers and me. It's a cast of thousands and we're doing we're doing Jack Frost, the first album in its entirety, and then we're coming back and we're doing Go Betweens and Church Numbers.
Speaker 2: Yeah nice, that sounds amazing, so ans Rachel Equallenroola no violin Yeah, it's a typo on my machine.
Speaker 39: It's nothing to us, but to them it's the whole world.
Speaker 2: It's just this sheet. Hey, what's the set list look like? How does it comprise this evening?
Speaker 39: Well, didn't I just say that Jack Frost? The first set we're doing the Jack Frost in its entirety, and then the second set we have a little break, and then the second set is church and go between snumbers rearranged for this particular ensemble, and they all really come to life so much. It's amazing what the cello and the violin add and these players are like wonderful West Australian musicians, and they're all they're all just doing it. You know, not a hell lot of money in this, they're just doing it for the because they love. It's a labor of love, and there's a beautiful it's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 2: You did explain to me already?
Speaker 9: What what what?
Speaker 2: What it comes from? What's the How do you get to rehearse mate with this ensemble?
Speaker 39: Well, we rehearsed in Melbourne. We turned up and rehearsed for two days in Melbourne and then we did the first show in Brunswick. In Melbourne, so and look, we did do this so once before in Perth, so it's kind of we semi kind of knew what we were going to do anyway, but it's really picked up momentum, you know, playing in Sydney and Melbourne and then Brisbane, the show just seemed to it just seems such a shame. I wish I wish we were doing going to be doing it more. And you know, Grant and I never got to do this show, play these songs properly with an acoustic show where we played them acoustically, but we never we never played them with a whole electric band and with the with the strings and everything. So it's I don't know, it brings back a lot of beautiful memories. And and you know we do the we do the go between songs pretty faithfully as well. So if you if you, if you're a big fan of the Gobies, I think we do some pretty good versions. We've got this wonderful player, Adrian Hoffman, local a local guy. He plays guitar and he's the singer and he he's channeling Grant when he sings. It's like a lot of people have said to me, you know, you close your eyes and it's Grant singing nice. So it's a it's a lovely, lovely night of sort of nostalgic looking back at you know, me and what Grant and I did, and then what Grant did in the go between. Yes, I know, it's kind of a it's a really lovely show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, You've always been a creative You've always been you know, that's always you know, from my understanding and having seen your heaps of times, you've always been a creative bloke. And this sounds like the ultimate creative endeavor. Bringing musicians together just for these sessions and and reworking and rebooting some old material must be it must be cool to play it live.
Speaker 7: It really is.
Speaker 39: It's it's made me very happy. It's strange, you know, like I do a lot of shows with the Church, and you know, the Church about to go to America and do thirty shows, and then later on in the year we're coming back and we're doing this huge store and there's a certain satisfaction and excellence that the Church do and professionalism. But with this little gang of people, these these musicians, it's something really special. It's quite I don't know, and I'm not you know, everybody knows I'm a bit of a cynical old sod, but like, no, it's very moving for me, and I feel like I feel Grant somewhere out there in the ether looking on and approving of this and loving what we're doing. So yeah, it's not just it's not just your usual old rock and roll thing. This it's a really it's a lot of love involved.
Speaker 2: Yes, makes sure it makes you think of your mate. Hey, so we've got some tickets available tonight Steve, haven't we And it's at the the Milk Bar, but he's actually inside the Civic Hotel, isn't it. So it's a it's a ripping venue and perfect for a show, for a show like you see, Steve.
Speaker 8: Are you in?
Speaker 2: I know you mentioned the synthesism and you're nice and chatty with us today. Are you having a chat in between? Are you reminiscing and chatting to the crowd?
Speaker 27: Oh?
Speaker 39: Oh yeah, all the songs have come come with a chat. Yeah, yeah, I'm telling the whole story, and I yes, misty eyed, rose colored glasses. It's very hard to talk about Grant without getting all nostalgia. You know, he left us, He left us in two thousand and seventy was only like forty five or something. Yep, and so much more he could have done and like he was my w It's no exaggeration say he was the best friend I ever had. And we we put a lot of love into our records and this band and only made possible by Adrian Adrian Hoffman's wonderful singing that.
Speaker 30: He that he can he can sound just.
Speaker 39: Like Grant and play guitar just like Grant, and that's that's that's the only reason it's even possible to do these shows, because the Grant sort of component is there.
Speaker 2: I spoke to Mark mcintie a couple of years ago, Steve, you know, from the the Vinyls, and he talked about losing his best mate.
Speaker 13: It must be.
Speaker 2: It must be. I mean, we're all getting older and the songs always remind us, but it must be difficult sometimes that it does bring up such strong feelings and memories, because that's what music does, right.
Speaker 39: That's exactly what music does. It's that's exactly what it does. So yeah, I get quite misty up there, I believe me.
Speaker 2: And I did want to mention that the chatting between songs I reckon all you guys who've been around for a while through the countdown here and whatever. It's it's a really nice refreshing thing for you know, when we used to go and see you when you were a rockcord you didn't talk to us all that much. But may you do, which is good. We love it.
Speaker 39: Yeah, yeah, yeah, well, yep, there'll be a lot of there'll be a lot of talking.
Speaker 2: Sure, all right mate, always nice to chat to you. Thank you for having a chat to our crowd tonight, and we'll get we'll try and get some listeners along.
Speaker 39: Hey, that would be fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks, the good one, go well tonight, Thank you, Okay, thank you, bye, see mate. Steve Kilby from a front man of the Church and of course a mates with you know, mates with his Mark Grant from the from the Go Betweens the gobe as he said, Grant McLennan and the sleeve. The actor is called Jack Frost. Grant McLennan and me. Their tickets still a veil Ball. General admission is around about sixty bucks, but you're getting a full You're getting a full seven piece band including a callo of violin and a ripping band as well.
Speaker 4: So this is.
Speaker 2: In Maylands tonight at the Milk Bar. Now he's been very patient, Brian, Brian going to talk to you in just a second, mate, we'll get you back in just a second. We've got two double passes to the show tonight. Two double pass to the show night. Call me if you've seen the church when? Where?
Speaker 13: What was it?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 2: I reckon the church played at the Entertainment Center. It is nine dollars ninety six and that will probably remind you probably to giveway as to who the radio station were that sponsor it. Nine dollars ninety six, moving pittures church and Australian crawl. How good is that? Thirteen to one give us a call one double three eight euty two. We've got a church memory. Call us and you could win a double pass aga and see the show tonight at the milk Bar at the Civic good I JB JB's a golfan, he said, what a six pr mentioning Hannah Green on the news with one major, not Minji Lee with two? Just in should dab not sure? This is the Erin Hills Golf Course tournament details May twenty nights to June the first, So yeah, Hannah Green w a product coach by Richie Smith as we know, as you know, but so a Minji is in the field as well. Mate. It's a massive field, incredible number of players. Hannah Green ranked eighth in the world I think in the l G e.
Speaker 27: P A.
Speaker 2: But certainly Minji lee On is on the start list as well. One double, thank you mate, One double three a day.
Speaker 9: Two.
Speaker 2: Do you have a story about the church? About going to see the church. We've got a couple of couple of double passes the give away to the show at the milk Bart tonight at the Civic. Gooday, Eric, Oh, get a Simon.
Speaker 33: How are you going?
Speaker 2: Good mate? What's your story?
Speaker 13: Good?
Speaker 39: Ah?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 33: Myst mate and I in about nineteen eighty two. I'm trying to think what you.
Speaker 4: Would have been.
Speaker 33: We worked in Albany and we drove up on a Friday night. We left Albany past five to go and see the church at a club.
Speaker 4: It was in town.
Speaker 33: I can't remember. It was all I remembers.
Speaker 39: We had to go upstairs and.
Speaker 33: We were only about nineteen eighteen or nineteen, and we got up there and I was setting up and I took them as to sett and I don't know whether other boys were having them muck around backstage or something whatever. So by the time they got on to play, my mate and I were just about to sleep after all the way from Anyway. And then unfortunately I asked my mate in twenty eleven and I was given the honor of choosing a song for when we were coming into the chapel at the cemetery. And yeah, so Under the Milky Way Tonight was played as he was walked into theory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's nice, mate, that's nice. What was your mate's Perry Perry?
Speaker 33: Yeah, and he had a green box wag and beetle and we drove all the away from Anyway. We've got to leave them play, that was the main thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you may know this, or Rusty Collette may know this because he's a feeling in for Oli this afternoon. Who's a big, big crook? Was Under the Milky Way was later, wasn't it? Because eighty eighty one was the first couple of albums was and I think Under Milky Way came.
Speaker 33: Yeah, it would have done. Yeah, yeah, I just can't remembering. Yeah, I don't think Under.
Speaker 20: The Milk.
Speaker 33: In the early eighties, but yeah, twenty eleven. That's sour yea man.
Speaker 2: If you want to go tonight, I will put you back to Sean and Am. If you do want to go tonight, we've got a couple of tickets we can give give to Where do you live now? Mate?
Speaker 33: I leave about four hundred meters from the Suvier Hotel.
Speaker 2: I reckon you should go?
Speaker 33: Well, I was going to I was thinking that I was going to go anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I reckon you should go. I'll put you back to Sean Ann and we'll send the get the tickets out to your pronto. Mate. We'll make sure you get to enjoy the show. Hey, and give us a shout tomorrow. Tell us how he goes?
Speaker 33: Okay, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Thanks mate. Have you got the tune there? Max? How good is this song? Hello? Rusty? How here you good?
Speaker 36: Sometimes?
Speaker 2: And this class gets come?
Speaker 39: Yeah, let's see.
Speaker 2: I think Rolling Stone magazine said best the Australian song of the last thirty years a few years ago. I probably grew pretty good, man. It's a classic.
Speaker 40: And guess rising.
Speaker 2: I'm just talking to your producers and a little pub somewhere.
Speaker 40: No, no better still, I said to your producers. I said, I saw them live and they said we're about I said, wait, I said, what's.
Speaker 2: Weight w our Institute of Technology, Thank you sis. I went one year until the MAT's got a bit hard in engineering. Then I went did a phyzed degree. They used to do some great bands that they did me.
Speaker 34: I saw that.
Speaker 40: Who was Hannahs and Collectors?
Speaker 2: Wait, yeah, wait, look at you go? How are you? How are you? Mate? Really good? Olie's beet Crooks. So you'll be with Perth Life from one to five.
Speaker 40: Some of the supplementary presenter's list mate. And they've called me in busy busy show today, very good show today, by the way, soon. I've really enjoyed your work.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Rusty. I just want to say you are a very loyal and supportive fellow.
Speaker 40: No I say that I do like it, and that vote today, I'm a no voter. I think they're just going to continue on annoying people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all they know. Is it over for the Woodside protest. I made a couple of calls yesterday Rusty and spoke to a few of the hardliners and they're pretty rattled by what they heard yesterday from Murray what and they just I think they realized that what they have been doing hasn't worked politically in terms of campaigning. So I think they've got to reboot it. But I'll give you the honors, Russ, Yes or no? Is it over the woodside protesters? What are our listeners saying?
Speaker 40: Okay? For their final votes? Are in fifteen have voted yes that it is all over?
Speaker 2: Sixty one, but you and I voted no plus you so sixty two sixty sixty three from me. Yeah, I think there's more water to go under the bridge there have for us today, mate.
Speaker 40: Very busy day, mate, very busy day.
Speaker 24: Again.
Speaker 40: We're going to find out more about a doge. There's a call for a doze here in the Australia. I think it's a very good call, one hundred percent behind it. I just think we have a lot of a lot of gunment money getting washed around in the economy. I liked a bit more auditing of it all and I like that to be pretty public.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, some more TRANSPI disparacy, a doge. What else?
Speaker 40: Absolutely travel loong will be end. We're also going to find it bees money. You big fan of bees?
Speaker 9: I love Bees?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 40: Yeah, we're going to find it.
Speaker 2: More about a fan of being stung by them. But I do like them.
Speaker 40: I've been sung a few times. I've never really blown up, though. Have you ever blown Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. I don't know why I don't blow up. It's a he's the mean thing, isn't it you to do or you don't?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Not mad though.
Speaker 40: Jammie Bennett's going to catch up part of the week, yep, something you and I love a part of the week.
Speaker 4: You do.
Speaker 40: What's your beef to get get it off people's chest before the weekend? Yeah, I think something is eating it.
Speaker 2: Jack get rid of it today with us. Yeah, all right, I'll be listening. Thank you all the very best. I believe the shoe bar was cranking last night with the origin supporter. So what only he go and I'll see you there soon absolutely, yeah, all right mate. Russell Collette filling in for Olie Peterson coming off the supplementary presenter's bench, which I didn't know we had one of those three minutes to one. Thanks for being part of the program today, Henry, you're at caller today. He talked to us about signing. He won two tickets to see the British Irish Lions versus the Force on June twenty eighth at Opta Stadium and on the show tomorrow, Glenn Jakovitch be talking footy. Hiss tipped Brisbane tonight against Essenon by twenty seven points, and Murphy will return with Chris Murphy's Magical Mystery Tour. See then