Speaker 1: On the road again. Just can't wait to get on the road again.
Speaker 2: He's mean, he's nasty, he's grumpy. He is Steve grumpy Collins.
Speaker 1: Grubby, you're too well tony. Yes, very very mean, very glumpy. Yes, never never laughed at anybody in my life.
Speaker 2: No, that's not in your spirit at all. Yes, yeah, good, yeah, good as golder grums. So, because we've been asking the question about people that you may have admired over the years, who's someone that you really admire or admired and for what reason? Now, clearly I'm going to be at the top of your list. You want me to do, you want the second choice, your statue, give me the give me your second person.
Speaker 1: What a person that basically no one has ever heard of. He's a guy called Ben Carlin, and he had an aquatic jeep called half Safe, which he saw when he was in World War Two, when it was an American one. It was a Ford aquatic jeep, and he said, you could drive one of those around the world. So after the war he moved to New York. He bought two of them, one aparts, and he built this car which he called the Half Safe. But bear in mind that you could drive it across water and that, and he literally drove it around the world. Now, the first attempt from New York, he was unsuccessful. Gives us out in the Atlantic Ocean and he was almost surrounding, so a tanker pulled him up and took him to Montreal. Was going, so he stayed there, he did some adjustments to the car, and then he drove it across the Atlantic Ocean to the Canary and from there he drove it across to Africa, and then up through Africa and across the Mediterranean to Gibroad, and then up through Europe and then across the English Channel to Great Britain. Stayed there for a while. Then he drove it back right across Asia to the Bay of Bengal and across across the water there, then up through Asia, across the water to Japan, through Japan, and then across the North Pacific where there's ice to Alaska, and then from Alaska he drove over land to Montreal. The most incredible card journey in the world. Really, anyone knows about it. And you can see half safe if you visit Guilford Grammar, because he was a Guildford Grammar and he left it to them at his will.
Speaker 2: Is of that a fantastic ship.
Speaker 1: There's a there's a book called The Other Half of Half Safe, which I read many many years ago, and I think you might be able to get it from Guilford Grammar. But you look at this thing and it is basically the size of a normal sedan car. And it was amazing because he had to carry his own fuel, so we invented these great, big sort of leather balloons basically that he towed behind him so that he could refill. And he took his wife with him. His wife got seasick and they went through They went through a typhoon and a tornado out in the Atlantic Ocean, and I bopped on the on the surface of water like a cork. I didn't think. And it was just an amazing adventure.
Speaker 2: What a wonderful, wonderful story.
Speaker 1: What was his name again, Grumpy Ben Carl and C A R. L. I N.
Speaker 2: Ben Callen. I'll do some researchency if we can.
Speaker 1: Find you love your cars you would be amazed at this story. But he does. He had a great things of humor as well, And so when you read the book, it's not it's fantastic, but it's also quite funny his observations of people and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: In what decade was he doing this.
Speaker 1: He started in the nineteen fifties and the journey took him a bit over ten years. He didn't do it in one go because he used to fund it. He would sort of go to Europe and then he put it on display in Paris and places like that, and he went to London. He was in quite in London for about three years. He traveled all over the UK just people would pay to look at it and sit in it, and that was how That's how he financed everything. And he had the King of Belgium was sitting in at once and he was sitting in the passenger seat. What the King of Belgium didn't know was if you lifted that. That was the onboard talk as well. So he said, I had the King of Belgium sitting on.
Speaker 2: Microone as one does. Just before he came on, we had a regular contributed Julie, and Julian's a great bloke. He story into some degree and loves bits and pieces about things that happened all around Australia. He asked me to ask you the question about Heard Island.
Speaker 1: It's called Herd Island and the McDonald Islands. It's a group of islands, and it's about four thousand, just over four thousand kilometers south west of Perth. It's right down there, it's right, it's in the it's in the Southern Ocean, not all that's far from Antarctica, and it's run by the Antarctic Division. And so yes, you do have to have special permission to go there because why because it's protected alier. Okay, it's a it's a World Heritage site. And he's right that there are only seals and penguins that lived there. And by the way, when Donald Trump introduced his tariffs, he was charging those seals and Big wasn't heard on anything.
Speaker 2: That's funny. That is just so funny. He was charging them fifty percent and they do nothing.
Speaker 1: There were nothing. You could have had some big iguado. I guess that would have been. I don't I mun sell that foot, to be honest.
Speaker 3: But no.
Speaker 1: But it's got two of it's not the only two active volcanoes in Australian territory. And one of them is called Big Ben and that's the highest mountain in Australian Territory. It's it's over nine thousand feet bearing him, but Mount Kosiosco is about seven thousand something and so Big Ben Towers over that. And there's another one called Mawson Peak or Morson Peak is part of because Mawson would have been there of course. So yeah, but they send scientists there to study it. But yeah, they're protected areas. That's why you can't go there. You've got our permission to go there.
Speaker 2: Favorite or least favorite destinations because why what touched on neve for you about that?
Speaker 1: Well, I was just thinking about some of the places I've been, and yeah, I love trouble and I love going places, but there are some places that they disappoint you, now, I mean, for me, let's take the USA for instance. I loved I love the USA. I love Chicago. That is my favorite city in the USA, which is hard. Was a hard choice because New York.
Speaker 4: Is fabulous as well.
Speaker 1: But Chicago surprised me, I think because it's actually a beautiful city. Of the architecture there is wonderful, and it's it's unlike Erie, and it's and they've got beaches right in the middle of the city. You know, right on the edge of the city and stuff like that, which I didn't expect, and I just just loved it. You know. Of course, New York is just exciting, you know, Will's most exciting city as far as I'm concerned. But what disappointed me was San Francisco, because I guess certain part of it is the weather there. San Francisco is pretty shocking weather, or did when I was there. But it was the homelessness there. It's unbelievable, the homelessness, and it's very very open, and it's basically anywhere you go in San Francisco, there's homeless people everywhere, and a lot of them are begging and stuff like that, and some of them aren't too friendly, and I just thought it was it was it was really disappointing to see that in one of the actually the world's richest country. Really to see that level of homelands, homes brighton, it's right out on the streets. I mean, if you go to the pier and all that outbreak there, you know, And I just found that very very disappointing about San Francisco. I mean, I loved the rest of America, but that was something that I don't know. It made me feel sad for the city. To be honest with you.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll get some calls. I hope we get some calls about those best and wish or if you like the favorite or the least favorite destination that you've truveled at the computis straight at the commedia in the world. One double three sixt nine three. Don't leave us here by ourselves, Jump on board. You've been around something where you went and you thought, no, this was a little unwhelming. Just going back to you, we'll get some calls shortly. One double three six' nine three love to hear from. You the the host of the three W brickey, Program Ros, stevenson last year had the pleasure with some friends and. FAMILY i think he tells the story. Openly he, said he goes To chicago for The Rolling stones. Concert Passionate stones.
Speaker 1: Fanatic SO i went there for their exhibition AND i, said If i'm going to see, This i'm going to see it In chicago because it was The chicago blues that influenced, them and that was. BRILLIANT i loved every minute of.
Speaker 2: It, yeah but he made the observation About chicago comparing it To New. York he, said it is now so far ahead in how they do, it how it, looks how it, feels each way ahead of Where New york ever.
Speaker 1: Was it's a very very friendly, city and the public transport's. Good BUT i, MEAN i got good weather WHEN i was, there and it is a beautiful. CITY i wasn't expecting the lovely architecture and stuff like. THAT i didn't expect to see beaches there and people were swimming, there and it's just it's Got Millennium, park which is a fabulous. Park there's all these artworks, there and there's this massive fountain which has got projected faces on it and stuff like. That it's a really interesting city to go and. See and you, know it's The Chicago. RIVER i, thought, oh it's going to be like it was absolutely, beautiful you, know and it's a tributary of The. MISSISSIPPI i didn't realize that, Either so it's, yeah IT'S i just fell in love With. Chicago and the, hotel, well the HOTEL i say that was there due The prohibition. Years and they have a bar there that was just like one of the secret bars they would have had during The. Prohibition you go in there and you're order a drink and you get it in a coffee cup sort of, it you, know so nobody can tell you drink it.
Speaker 2: OUT i love those great. Stories So grubby stay. There we'll take some calls very. Shortly join. Us you get through a straight, away plenty of lines. Free one double three six nine three question With Steve Grumpy collins is simply this favorite and all least favorite destination anywhere around at anywhere in the world that you've just, thought, well there was an observation it was somehow a little. Underwhelming where would that have been for? You one double three six'. Nine Three I'm. Tony Max Steve grumpy collins is Here for. Australia overnight so your brother's bound and gagged and then chained him to. A jam won't you please Come to chicago just to seeing?
Speaker 1: You know then that's not?
Speaker 2: As freedom how can such you think? Be fair won't you please Come to chicago for the help that we.
Speaker 4: Can bring we.
Speaker 2: Cantwer you'd Hope for gruppy that over the years they would have used that song to promote to a destination point for the great City.
Speaker 5: Of.
Speaker 1: Chicago, Wow, Wow yeah well they've got there so many Songs, about chicago chic cog. Chic coog that one ONE said i shouldn't sing It because i've got the world's worth. Singing voice, but, yeah, no, no no was it's a great.
Speaker 2: City because there was very scenata. Of you That little chicago song was a Hit For.
Speaker 1: Graham, nash yes, That's right and Of course chicago the band was. Used to their original name Was Shared Chicago. Transit authority if you recall they had that they hit twenty five.
Speaker 2: Sixty four, oh, yes year what a song twenty five or. Sixty four now earlier we were talking about great cities around the world And Including new york as to why they. Were so there was a lot of issues around violence and crime in a City Like, new york which well and truly documented, the time and they talked About The New york city's broken, windows, policy which According to rich who sends a lot of, information through is based on the theory that cracking down on minor offenses during that time helped prevent more. Serious crime was credited with contributing to the dramatic dropping crime during the nineties and into the, two thousands which sort of worked for a, little while and then it stopped working the zero tolerance because it looked really overly aggressive zero tolerance and stop and disproportionately affecting so called. Minority communities and Even in, gladwell's BOOK which i think Was Called The, tipping point later walked back his support of citing unintended. Social consequences but it just goes back to one of the topics we're talking about earlier great cities around the world that you, would visit and what that looks like when you, GET there, i guess is the real challenge for anybody who's doing any visiting.
Speaker 1: OR touring i mean a lot of people go THE places i dreamed of going to places and they either did like it, all disappointed. You know WITH, the uk, FOR instance i DON'T like i Didn't. Like london i've been there about. FIVE times i Don't. LIKE london i find it to be not all, that friendly to be honest, with You and i've looked easy to, get around and of course you go And See buckingham palace and, all THAT and i just there's something about it. To me it's not all, that CLEAN and i find the people there to be, pretty UNFRIENDLY and I just i've had the Worst meal i've.
Speaker 4: Ever had.
Speaker 1: Really, the yeah At The hotday Inn In. Berkeley square we were going. To out we were going To see phantom Of the opera and, we thought well we'll have a we'll have a meal before. We GO so, i, Thought well i'll have some. Traditional food i'll have a steak. Kidney pie, you Know, it's brittish it must. Be good it was, the worst. SO bad i remember years later it was, just dodge. You know so there's Something ABOUT london i. Don't like on the, Other HAND edinburgh. I love i Just see edinburgh's fantastic because it's it's a really walkable city and it's got lots of other towns IN the Uk a Bath and Chester and york and places. LIKE that i think they. Are fantastic london doesn't do it for. ME somehow i don't.
Speaker 2: Know why there's always been a lot of Romance about london for a range. Of reasons pulic has been so documented for certainly all.
Speaker 1: Our, lives yeah well. That's Right And bobna regis that's ANOTHER place i can't have you Ever Been. Ton, regions oh it's on the it's on the south coast OF the uk and it's a holiday destination and it Has a. Buttland there we were visiting some friends who are living there and we went for a Drive To. Bocto reaches it's A speech i've ever. Been to, it's stone there's.
Speaker 2: No same there's another place IN the uk simply Known. As, brighton Yeah and i've never, been THERE but i already know that for, Whatever reason i'm not going to.
Speaker 6: Like.
Speaker 1: It, yeah well, you know there are plenty of seaside pounds that, are beautiful Particularly around cornwall and some of certain places. Like that But There's bogner regions like people flock there and they've Got A BUTTLANDS and i Walked into buttlands and honestly it's like it's like a concentration camp where people smile all. The time it's. Just ALTABLE but I can't we're Going to buttland for.
Speaker 2: It's dreadful we'll take. Some calls one double three six nine three is our, telephone number one double three six' nine three if you'd like. To join us it's been very Very good at chilly so it's a bit quiet on the, Phones. This morning grabs we'll get, some calls. Shortly no doubt one double three. Six nine three the topic is favorite and all least favorite places you've ever visited and why one double three. Six nine three lots, of text though. Which is, GREAT one says i Was, Born in Elizabeth Elizabeth. In south australia we happen to be talking about that in the, last hour too and how tough that was where they were really making a lot of holdings back. In, Those days correct and it was, a pretty tough, dirty old town. But it survived and THIS tech says i only saw it when it was A place where, i WAS born and i was born there and only saw it for the first time really, in NINETEEN ninety but i was born there a long, time before that but it was little and never went back there until. Later, In life dan good. Morning to you sails? Too Were, grummy hello dan?
Speaker 6: Offend?
Speaker 4: Your?
Speaker 1: Tea? Mac hello?
Speaker 2: Yeah got you did you want to Say Something?
Speaker 3: For grumpy collins, not, AT all, mate i said you're.
Speaker 2: A listed son, that's that's very very kind.
Speaker 1: Of.
Speaker 2: Your word dan that's, going along beautifully consistent with the theme. Of the program dan's everything is everything when.
Speaker 1: He's Here and grumpy and we've had a couple, of good.
Speaker 4: Combos, haven't we.
Speaker 2: Yeah we've had lots of conversations. Over the years we have, we have mate did you did you used to call in on the? By swapping?
Speaker 1: CELS you know i, LOVE you, know i know good.
Speaker 2: On your dad i've been watching the foot You know, what, i'm saying grumpy good. On your dad keep in touch. With THE program just i love some. Of these calls they're just. Hysterical. They do now so you've, GOT your list i would think the great list for me Would be and i'm keeping It back TO australia because i want to take some calls on.
Speaker 6: This as.
Speaker 2: Well OF course see i think one of the highlights and we, talk about it but probably.
Speaker 3: Does.
Speaker 2: Not sufficiently really you Go. To the kimberley's that's going to be a. Highlight, for anyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah ah well see that's on my LIST of places i. LOVE and dislike I. Love the. Kimberleys it's fantastic it's, an amazing place Especially the bungle bungles and the. Gorges and that but there are two, Places up There Derby and fitzroy crossing that are, really really. Shocking You Know the derby derby it's probably not A spot because derby has got the second highest tides. In the world they're about, eleven meter tides and of course when the, tide goes out when, it's eleven meters all you got is mud. Flats around it So that's. Not derby's fault so, when the water when the tide ind. It's quite nice but when the, water goes out the, tide goes out it goes out for miles and miles and miles and miles a mile. And That's it fitzroy crossing on, the other Hand Now. The fitzwoyd crossing, two years ago they had a massive flood there and a lot of the town. Was badly affected but it's it's got a lot of social problems there and, and you know it's it's not a nice. Place to visit i've been there a, couple OF times and i just, think it's.
Speaker 4: Very.
Speaker 1: Very sad really it's a sat you go there and you said that you're sad, to be, there you know because you can tell that there's a lot, of problems there and it's just it's just one of these places where you could you feel that there's no hope, for the town if YOU know. What I mean, so i mean the Rest of the kimberleys, is just fantastic but it's just it's just So sad that fitzroyd crossing is basically the, way it is and, it's you know everything.
Speaker 2: CAN be distressing i.
Speaker 1: Agree, with, it yeah yeah the. ULTRA security there i Know you love.
Speaker 2: Darwin For example so darwin's norther terurachies obviously had some issues over, many many years and they managed. That Pretty, well but david a great friend, of this program said he wasn't going up there to watch the races. Over the weekend then he, sent, a texting well my, Mom and way i've got to leave bass mother beaers put some money into the chill and led me to jump. On a plane he's just texted THROUGH and said i got. On the Plane quickest flight Melbourne Through the darwin. I've, ever had said it's. Absolutely fantastic here.
Speaker 1: Oh this time of year it is magnificent because it's a dry season up there and. It's very warm weather gets about thirty but, there's no humidity. So it's fabulous now my son, is up there you. Can hear it you'll he'll be able to hear the cars because he lives not all that far, from the, racetrack but no it's fantastic and at this time of year the, sunsets are magnificent but they've Got all these the Food scene in darwin. Is absolutely brilliant they grow a lot of tropical crops up there and they get a lot of Them, from from Karanara from the. Oord irrigation area so and of course the seafood up there is just brilliant because the waters are. Very very clean but it's. Just the atmosphere they've got all these laneway bars and, restaurants and stuff and it's just a tremendous place to go and. Visit it is it is a. Genuinely beautiful place the harbor front. Is just lovely they've got a lot of restaurants and the, hotels around there and you can swim there because they've got. The area knitted because The thing that pete stops you from swimming up, there isn't, sharks it's crocodiles as. You would know but you can swim in a couple of, places up there and some of the places to go when, you're up there it's always worthwhile taking A Trip To lichfield national park which is about a, ninety minute drive and that's famous. For its, waterfalls it's god these great waterfalls where you can just go and. Swim in, Them but no. Darwin is brilliant.
Speaker 2: It's just Favalous, allison in adelaide Say Hi To. Steve grumpy columns we Catch up with Grumpy. Talking, About, trevor HELLO ellison.
Speaker 5: All i just have, three little Places like. Obviously i'm SAT places that i like to Gay, tea were amber which you probably. Haven't heard of that it's got a.
Speaker 1: Great little forest, Where?
Speaker 2: Is it ellison.
Speaker 1: You Get on.
Speaker 5: Manor road and you drive for three hours and you're.
Speaker 2: So it's north. Of, the city yes.
Speaker 5: Yes it is and then you dive there off and You Go, to port jermaine which has the longest jetty in the whatever, hemisphere we're in and Then in.
Speaker 2: The southern hemisphere We're in. The, Southern hemisphere.
Speaker 1: Actually i've got. Some bad news bustleton has got. The longest peer.
Speaker 2: EVERYBODY claims it i was, about to say, the same thing is?
Speaker 1: It bustled bustled it has actually proven to be. The Longest peer but i'll TELL you what I Love. About South Australia. The york peninsula that. Is just beautiful it, is. SPECTATOR there fabulous i. WAS a surprise i didn't know ABOUT it because i don't really advertise to YOUR peninsula and i think they want to keep. It to Themselves But the york peninsula has just dropped their beautiful many, Other, places.
Speaker 2: There ellison did you have?
Speaker 1: One, More, spot yes perry you Kinda. Love poor, PIERRY.
Speaker 2: Really no i, Haven't been well I've, been to piri but for. About three minutes have You? Been, To, Piri, yes stephen.
Speaker 1: Yes for some of my some of my, LOVELIEST places lists i, have, to say.
Speaker 2: Funny you've got To Go. To port piriod it's Almost a song you're Gonna Go to port PIERO on.
Speaker 1: The t shirt, but it, is it. Is it is it is PART Of the rk peninsula. And it is i'm not Going To say port. Pierio is beautiful that's. Not my experience but your Absolutely outstanding that.
Speaker 2: We'll come back more. Of your calls. The other Side it IS Australia Ever I, steve granby collins. We're talking travel great to have your company where you Are. Right around australia we were Just. Talking about darwen and guess who's listing Up there in darwen is The afore mentioned david having Just, Put, wheels dan david thank you. For joining us.
Speaker 4: Good, morning to you Especially. To, Mister grumpy yes i'm going tomorrow out there. To the racetrack it's only about fifteen Minutes from. Where i'm staying current temperature. Is twenty one, it's.
Speaker 1: Too cold isn't it?
Speaker 4: Way too cold.
Speaker 1: This is your First?
Speaker 4: Trip to, JARWIN oh no i. Was born, here, OH right okay i was born here back in, nineteen sixty one right over There At The. Fanny Bay Hospital.
Speaker 1: Oh, fanny bay yeah isn't isn't that the best Suburb. Name in, australia brilliant name but. It is lovely you've got To Go to Pee Wee's, at fanny bay probably the Best. Restaurant in darwin and. It's just beautiful.
Speaker 4: That's.
Speaker 1: Just wonderful year i'm just going to.
Speaker 2: Write that down you've got To Go to Pee Boys. At fenny. Bay that's, Amazing david up we're thrilled that you've got To leave pass.
Speaker 4: Oh well it just came out, of, The, BLUE brother, okay, I said yes I'll take that we're.
Speaker 2: Gone wonderful and no. Trouble getting accommodation you've got friends and the people.
Speaker 3: Of, Their presuming yeah i've got friends and down some staying with them and they're coming, With us Tomorrow. Saturday and sunday so he's organized all the tickets in the real. Possibly bit beautiful.
Speaker 2: So when for people that only have a mild interest in the racing up there, over the weekend what are? They looking, for.
Speaker 6: Of course there's, some transam porsches basically all that. Sort, of, stuff, mostly sorry guys most of the supercars are all Get down into aboriginal traditional, art.
Speaker 1: A tiger bread bread AND drive today i think with all the cars driving up.
Speaker 4: To, the, circuit, yeah, yeah yeah. Yeah that's, Right. That's right crumpy what else is there? That's. About it guys it's.
Speaker 2: A big event it's a big event for that part. Of, the world david enjoy you stay up there and have a whole lot of. Fun and enjoyed we'll talk to you, Next, WEEK now grumpy a great email has come in, and HE says and i quote this is let's Just call him tony because that's His. Name from rosebud, And he said i've just Heard your Caller, grumpy denigrating london and a recent two week trip confirms that because it was. A rumby city this is just the observation between the two of you rude people which spoilt. Some Wonderful attractions this grumpy then went On, praise to edinburgh and Our week in edinburgh was truly superb. In every respect wonderful place To visit In Australia. Is, calgouli boulder yeah.
Speaker 1: It's, very, interesting yeah.
Speaker 2: Vibrant hard working town full of good Dwann, to worth australians an interesting history of the pubs, to die for well priced, to good food and a chance to talk. To the locals so your Observations certainly or tony's observation consistent with what.
Speaker 1: You, Were saying well i'm pleased that WE agree because I just paynd london VERY disappointing because i don't think they upkeep the city, all that well and the people do our rude and it is very.
Speaker 6: Very.
Speaker 2: Expensive there well another One Says. FROM san francisco i Grew Up. IN san francisco i went there for. A reunion recently not a single person who appears to be homeless, there are plenty but they tend to hang out in traditional too response otherwise because that's where the panhandling pages are. The best results so it's.
Speaker 4: Not, a bad yeah it's.
Speaker 2: Not a bad.
Speaker 1: It, is correct yeah why would you hang around the supper do?
Speaker 2: Anything, like that yeah went to some ignacious high school. Twenty five seconds if people to look up, what you're doing they find.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 1: Were Grumpy Oh steve collins traveler is.
Speaker 5: My.
Speaker 1: YouTube channel yep i'll just put Up, one ABOUT LightScape which i went, to last week which is Of Course. Of king's park absolutely wonderful attraction if you're.
Speaker 2: In it is. JULY twenty seven i highly recommend if you ever GET, to w a you've got to go And. Do Kings, Perk King's perk kings park right in The middle. Of town's beautiful it's always good to. Talk to you grumpy will do, it, Next Week Okay Cat. Steve grumpy collins have A Look At steve collins traveler on the YouTube channel