Speaker 1: But dry eye disease. It is a common condition which can lead to not only discomfort, but further vision problems as well affecting a person's quality of life and also making their daily tasks just like reading, using a computer or your phone, even driving so difficult. So joining us this morning is doctor Margaret Lamb and optometrists to explain this further. Good morning to you, Margaret.
Speaker 2: Good morning, good morning. It's lovely to meet you.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for taking the time to discuss this with us today.
Speaker 3: Now, how would.
Speaker 1: Somebody know if they are experiencing dry eyes? What are the usual symptoms when it's more than just say a limited or a one off occurrence.
Speaker 2: Yes, so someone in Australia, dry is actually quite common. So over eighty five percent of the population is estimated to experience symptoms of dry at some point. So it's actually very prevalent. And although it might seem like it's really trivial, if you leave it untreated or if it worsens, it can actually get quite like you said, it can have a very negative impact on someone's quality of life. In fact, bad enough that studies show that some that have even just moderate or severe dry eye can say, it's worse than having a heart attack. So it's important to know what to look out for and in case you have it or a loved one has it, how to identify it early. So those symptoms so you can identify include that your eyes feel like you have a stinging, a burning, or a scratching sensation like there's a foreign body in your eye, or having red or irritated sore eyes, or being sensitive to light, or even experiencing blurry vision, feeling like you have eye strain, or feeling that you have eyes that just feel tired. But you know what's really interesting is that people that actually have really watery eyes can actually have severe dry eye too, because that's when your body actually overcompensates from having the dry eye and then it causes it to overwater. So watery eyes is also possibly a symptom of dry eyed dosease is too.
Speaker 3: That's me, that's me, Margaret.
Speaker 1: Is my eyes? Well? I thought it was just because it was so cold. My eyes were literally just yeah dry. People actually stop me in the street and say, are you okay.
Speaker 2: My left eye let?
Speaker 1: But Margaret, what actually causes dry eye?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So, as I mentioned, like, it really can have a really bad impact on someone's life. And the causes of dry eye is there's two main types, right. So the first type is when your dry eyes dry out or they evaporate too quickly on the tear film. And that's because in the eyelids we have these really special oil glands called our my boomyan glands, and they're supposed to make this nice protective oily layer to stop our tears from evaporating. So when you don't have enough of your oily layer, that's called evaporative dry eye. And then the second type is when our eyes just don't produce enough tears, and then that means that they're defishing in the watery layer of our tears. So that type is called aqueous deficient dry eye. So the causes of and risks for dry eyes include that it's definitely very common when we age. Unfortunately, it's also very common for it took her when you get hormonal changes, especially at perimenopause and menopause. Women unfortunately are twice as high risk as men to develop dry eye.
Speaker 3: So we're going to get hysterical. Now.
Speaker 2: You are just outnumbered today.
Speaker 3: So Margaret, I do have a question for you, and this This is the quickly brain extrapolating here. I have a number of friends who are going in and have had cataract surgery and usually four or five weeks before they are told go and by these drops. Usually and Cattio norm and others use these two or three times a day so that we can get your measurements correctly when we do your keteract surgery. Now, my extrapolation brain, if we kept our eyes more moist, would that reduce the risk of cataracts developing?
Speaker 2: Oh? So the reason why that said, and we're going on a segway, and I want to come back to causes of dry ik gerald. But the reason why that is really important is someone going into cataract surgery has to have really stable dry eye because the surgeon is really worried that if the dryness is not stable, your cataract surgery might go really well. But you get poor vision as a result of YOURCT surgery causing more severe dry eye, which takes a long time to settle down again. So it's not causing effect about you won't get cataracts because you don't have your dry eye settled. It's more to do with we want the side effect of potential dry eye sorted, so your cataract surgery goes really well, just fallen after Okay, So if it's all right, I'll go back because I think it's really important that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, before we let you go, can you quickly tell us what causes dry eye?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, in addition to what we talked about, medications can sometimes increase the risk of someone getting dry eyes to antistamines, blood pressure, medications, antidepressants, go coma medications, autoimmune conditions. Inflammation in the eyes causes it. Screen time, so we're all conscious of that. We blink sixty percent less in front of a screen, so our tears evaporate faster. The environment can cause dry eyes, like air conditioning, heaters, winds, smoke, certain weather conditions, and contact lens whereas are susceptible. So you could get a better contact lens that could also dry your eyes out, let's or get treatment for dry eye symptoms.
Speaker 1: So that's why so many people suffer from it, because there are so many ways that you can experience it. Doctor Margaret Lambs, thank you so much for taking the time to talk to us this morning.
Speaker 2: That's okay. I just want to also just add it's really important to make sure you get a preservative free formulation that lasts a long time, and some are PBS listed and some can be really effective in making sure that they hold the tear film down and PBS can mean it's seven times lower for pensioners too, and speak to an ik professional pharmacist, and then a pharmacist can also guide you to an optometrist or an ophthalmologist if they're still not enough relief. So I hope that.
Speaker 1: Helps Beautiful Noworries. Thank you so much, doctor Margaret Lamb