Speaker 1: Nine podcasts.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't think I've gone a bit silly here, but I'll talk about ghosts, things supernatural, out of body experiences, people coming back from the dead, consciousness beyond the body. Now, the media cliche says I should be playing spooky music here, or even the Ghostbusters theme, but I think that is an annoying cliche. Of course the skepticism about this topic. Poles show that as many as twenty percent of people say they've seen a ghost, but almost half the population, according to Saint Pole, are willing to believe ghosts exist. So those silly music tricks, in my view, demean my guest. He's a neuroscientist, a parapsychologist. He was president of the Australian Institute of Parapsychological Research. He teaches at Swinburne University. He has analyzed many reported sightings of things that can't be explained. He's sent a few things himself that can't be explained. Dr Vladimir Dubai, thank you for coming to see us. Thank you. I've done a snappole of my cynical work, colleagues, and as you'd well know, there's nobody more cynical and media people, and I thought they'd be mocking me for talking to you and for even exploring the area. I was surprised to him, and you went quiet and said, I'm not really sure what's going on there. I'm not really sure what's happening. We have a look at a few cases that have been raised, and then I'd like to get into some of your own detail and everything. One of our staff, the head of football, Luca, describes a case he's working the Carlton Footy Club nine years ago at night, late at night, He's walked down to the player's gym, which works. The lights in the gym work on a sensor light and it starts. There's nobody in there. He walks in, lights come on just in time to see a man he describes as wearing a trench coat and a hat disappearing through a walk. Says, I thought I'd be frightened, but I was calm when it happened. What would you do about that?
Speaker 1: I'd probably turn around and walk out the other way. Yeah, it is surprising how common these things are reported, and a lot of the time the person just it's definitely clearly unnatural or unexplainable, but it feels normal. So you're just seeing something occur and you're kind of still processing it in your mind.
Speaker 2: So he's not frightened at all. He's just as the guy walks through the wall.
Speaker 1: I think when it turns frightening is if it's in your own home home, because I got a lot of people approaching me saying something in the house and it's really affecting their ability to sleep, and you know, just live live in the property. But yeah, and certainly in that case, there have been lots of reports of ghosts or entities that seem to keep executing their own little paths after they've deceased. So even if even if the building changes, for example, doors are no longer where they should be, they put a wall in its place, the figure will still kind of walk through the wall.
Speaker 2: So what would you do if you wanted to investigate this case? Where would you start? How would you do it?
Speaker 1: Well? When I started, I went into it with a mindset of we're assuming something's occurring. There's enough people discussing the phenomena, so let's assume something is occurring that we don't fully understand. To do that, we need to understand or get an idea of how it physically interacts with the physical world. So in terms of physics, how does it manifest itself on a level where we can see it, we can feel that, we can feel the temperature changes and so on. So the idea is, let's go to the location where there's a lot of activity occurring and flooded with as much equipment as possible. That is, look at as much of the energy spectrum as we can. So we might go in that with temperature sensors, thermal imaging cameras to measure temperature fluctuations, sound video, infrared, ultra violet cameras if possible, all the way up to the high energy, which is which is you know, the X rays and radiation and so on. I've heard people actually use Geiger counters in their investigations as well. So the idea behind it is that if something does manifest, we might pick it up on a couple of different instruments. So for example, a lot of people report temperature drops where and all of a sudden gets really cold in one little spot, So that might be an indication that whatever is coming through, assuming that it's real, is somehow using the energy absorbing the vibration of the molecules themselves, which causes the temperature to drop in order for them to manifest themselves.
Speaker 2: Can you see I assume most of the cases you look at there's an explanation they're not actually ghosts. Well, how in a case like this, can you see an explanation off the top?
Speaker 1: Can I see an explanation? When I started this, I was I had a much much stricter protocol in that if only one person witnesses it, we can't accept it as evidence. It has to be seen by two individuals or recorded by equipment and some one. Over time, I realized that that was actually pretty strict, stringent sort of rules which skeptics might still adhere to. I've kind of relaxed that because I've now realized that people do actually witness things, even though they can't necessarily prove it, so to speak. So in this case, I'm depending on the credibility of the individual who's who's experiencing the phenomena, and he's credible.
Speaker 2: But he's credible he believes he saw it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, I can't. I can't dismiss it. I mean, there's a range of psychological interpretations and explanations for it. Which a hardline skeptic will dismiss it, saying it's purely FIGNI very imagination, over active mind someone and someone which it could be absolutely absolutely sorry. The interesting bit is if you find over time, multiple people see the same thing over a period of months or years, which for example the port Arthur O case, the paper that I published, looked at that there were I'd like hundreds of people.
Speaker 2: I've read that paper. I almost understand it. I'd like to talk about that later. There's another case I like to raise. And this man is credibly he's a chair of the ABC, Kim Williams. I interviewed him earlier this year. His mother had died and he was giving a speech. This is how he described it in his own words. Kim William's chair of the ABC.
Speaker 3: I do remember that she. I was giving this speech on education in the Parliament actually, and Mom appeared on the other side of the stage and started to walk across from me. She died a couple of days before I was While I was delivering the speech, I was saying in my head, Mum, this is not a good time.
Speaker 2: Start this.
Speaker 3: And then she came across the stage and then she stood on my right hand side, and I was continuing to endeavor to give the speech, and I did actually fall to then, and I did weep a little, which was very embarrassing because there was this room absolutely stacked with people. I recovered myself and kept on going, but it was I know, the audience was enormously perplexed. And I said, look, you're not going to begin to understand this, but my mother died a few days ago, and she's actually standing right next to me now, and I'm finding it rather difficult.
Speaker 2: That was a truly weird experience. So what's your instinct on that? Grief, as he says, grief playing games with the mane.
Speaker 1: Look, the first the first thought is grief, especially if you're under if your load with stress and you're still grieving, it's quite possible that that could come through. However, saying that the two things are not mutually exclusive, there's no reason why you can't be grieving and wanting to see someone and that person also actually coming through. Lots of people have reported, you know, dreams where relatives and things come through in the dreams to leaving the experience with a feeling of being reassured and comforted.
Speaker 2: But I would have I've thought I think would have had that sort of thing myself. I think you would assume after you've lost somebody close to you that could be your that's just your brain reacting in sleep, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and processing information in someone. You sometimes do get little bits of other information that come through that you wouldn't necessarily know. So there might be information about things or events that you weren't aware of. That rarely, but they do come through sometimes.
Speaker 2: So Ken Williams can't explain it, can you?
Speaker 1: In that particular instance, it's his own experience. I'm not sure that I would want to to impact the meaningfulness of that for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, We've had a few other examples. I'll just before we move on to some other stuff. But I did some calls on radio about it. People who There was one case where a people had moved into a new house had a young son. Young son reported without fear several times night a person had come and sat on the end of the bed and stroke their leg, and of course Mum and dad said, he who's in the house. They found from a neighbor that had been a boy many years ago living in the house with polio and it was the habit of the father to sit on the end of the bed and stroke the son's leg with the polio. They weren't saying what had happened. They were just raising this as a very peculiar situation. Is it peculiar?
Speaker 1: Peculiar in the sense that it's really interesting?
Speaker 2: Yeahs really interesting. Why?
Speaker 1: Well, again, it indicates that there may be a conscious consciousness might have survived outside of death and remains behind, and in essence they're still looking after what they believe might be their child.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that was reported by the child and to the parents and they had no idea at the time. Was reported that this had happened in the house before they lived there. Yep.
Speaker 1: And these things do happen where people will report things occurring in the same location or of a period of time. So you might find that that family might move out of the house, another family comes in and the phenomena is reported again.
Speaker 2: Just before we move on, the other thing that was reported to me on radio as a guy lived in a house in Tasmania with his family. They'd moved in and strange things started to happen. His wife would scream under the shower and she'd be scolded. He go and have a look, and the water's cold, but she'd still been scolded. Windows opening and chuting all the email. The windows shut, and they still went up and down. According to the Family Strange Noises explanation.
Speaker 1: These are all common common reports, common common poltaris of ghosts or poltargeist activity. So ghosts ghosts are there's a slight difference in terms of the phenomena that that arise with ghosts. It's a bit more passive stuff, so you might see things at the corner of your eye, or you might find temperature, drops, noises, those kinds of things. Poltergeists that get a bit more hands on, so there might be a little bit more movement, windows opening, doors opening, feeling of being touched.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is there enough of that, you say, you keep You've said several times there are a lot of reports about this. Are there enough reports for you to feel convinced there's something going on? We don't understand.
Speaker 1: For me, yes, but for me it's it's it's evidence that I've gathered over my own investigations. So I've done a lot of sight investigtions where I went into the field. Also anecdotes. For example, when I when I created my group, I went into the bank to create an account for the organization. Once the bank manager, she.
Speaker 2: Must spend a long time ago, you had a bank manager.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, he actually told the taler when he comes in, please get him to come and talk to me. So I thought something, something's going on. I went in there and he told me his story about his recurring, recurring ghost. That he had a lady ghost with him for the last twenty thirty years, ever since he was a child. So he told me about this.
Speaker 2: She visited him regularly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just she, he said. She always were a I think it was a green dress and she would just appear during the night in his bedroom. And it wasn't It was kind of a reassuring kind of apparition.
Speaker 2: You believed it. He believed it.
Speaker 1: He believed it. And again, when I first started investigating, I was hardline. Sorry not I wouldn't say a skeptic, but I was critical in terms of accepting evidence. And as I said, if one individual would would have this experience, I probably would discount it, saying there's too many psychological processes going on. But the more I look into it, the more I'm starting to accept that, Yeah, perhaps they did see these things. It would be great to also get other corroborating kind of evidence.
Speaker 2: As well, so you're no longer have skept it.
Speaker 1: No, I've experienced a few things myself.
Speaker 2: To get to that. But some ground rules. First, you are a neuroscientist. What's a neuroscientist?
Speaker 1: So background is neuroscience. So I was looking at essentially how the brain works in very very fine intricate details. So the some of the work that I did was looking at or recording individual individual cells in the brain in response to sounds or individual cells. Yeah, yeah, so it's micro electrode recordings. This is in animal animal moderns, not not humans. But yeah, we'd insert a smaller electrode into the brain into one cell or a small group nearby, and record responses from let's say, hearing or responses from whisker movements.
Speaker 2: I'm asking these questions to prove them because you must. You must get sick of being mocked. I mean, you're not just some wacko.
Speaker 1: You've actually surprisingly I haven't really been mocked actively. Apart from a few student radio radio interviews where they were just making jokes about me.
Speaker 2: Most of the time.
Speaker 1: It's actually been pretty good. I have noticed early on there was a lot of hush hush, like the topic of parapsychology comes up, and then people, especially in academia, just go, let's not talk about that. But at the same time, on the on the down low, quietly, they'll start telling me their experiences that they've had, but they don't want to acknowledge it.
Speaker 2: You're so, you're a parapsychologist. What's that.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say parapsychology is my interest. I've never been professional in parapsychology because professional means I've got an income from it. So everything that I've done in my research has been from my own funds.
Speaker 2: And what are your teaching at the moment?
Speaker 1: So I work at at at Swimmer University. Essentially I have been teaching in neuroscience and cardio pulmonary physiology, so physiology based based work.
Speaker 2: And how long you've been doing that?
Speaker 1: Well, I have my ID card here which showed my face showed earlier I would have been teaching for about nine or so years.
Speaker 2: And why the interest in this area? I've read you say that it's something I had an interest since you were a child in this aerial wife.
Speaker 1: Since my teenage years, I came across a book by Robert Monroe. He and he was describing his experiences having spontaneous out of body experiences. So he was a businessman. One day, went to sleep on the couch, afternoon nap and bam, he's out of his bodies. He thinks he's going insane because he can feel things, he can put his hands through the floorboards. He went to see a neurologist and they said, no, it's your fine. So from that he actually started his own company, out of Body, trying to induce out of body experiences using brainwave activation through HAMI sync. I'm not sure if you're familiar with HAMI sink essentially bin ooral beats. Was it him or someone else, but anyway, so he had this technology to try and induce these things for yourselves. I read his book, I read his techniques, and I started implementing them when I was a teenager, and I could get to a certain point one of the you mean haven out of body experience. Well, yeah, so there's a certain number of stages. You try to let your body go to sleep and but your mind stays awake. And that at a certain point you try to raise or change your energy until you feel these vibrations in your body, and it's quite unique when you feel them, you definitely feel them. The problem it always failed for me after that because at that point you either get super excited and the excitement stops it, or you get really fearful. You fear that you're going to die. If you leave body, you can never come back again.
Speaker 2: Are you going to die?
Speaker 1: And those two have always one or the other always.
Speaker 2: Popped up, So you've never done it.
Speaker 1: I never had a conscious art of body experience, but I believe that with the intention or even naturally during during sleep, your body will or you're something within you will disengage and leave temporarily and come back when you wake up.
Speaker 2: Did you have an experience of visiting a you believe you're visiting a colleague.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is my partner now. We used to live on opposite ends of the city, and one night, spontaneously, I said, I haven't done this in years. I'm going to try and have an art of body experience and visit her. And I started started the process and I could feel that I was doing it, but it didn't feel comfortable. So I stopped and I just went to sleep. So that's the last that I recall of it. Next day, I got a phone call from her saying, did you try to have an art of body experience? Because I saw you in I in my room two in the morning. I woke up when you're there, which rightly so freaked her out. And so yeah, that's kind of that was interesting experience. I've never been observed by someone else.
Speaker 2: So you believe that you did have that out of body experience.
Speaker 1: It is certainly my intention, and it's not like I in the last fifteen years, I've actually actively tried to do this every night. This was probably first time in five years that I actually tried.
Speaker 2: Let's define some terms and then we'll move. I really want to hear more of your own experiences. Define a ghost, I.
Speaker 1: Guess the classical would be a human entity, a human being that has passed away and somehow portion of their consciousness, portion of their entity, has remained outside of the outside.
Speaker 2: Of the body. So you believe in ghosts, I.
Speaker 1: Definitely believe in the possibility. It's a political answer, okay, yes, I do. Just just to clarify that what is an apparition that's essentially a ghost that makes itself visible for one reason or another, a polter geist. Poltergeist I think as the name for the name derives from noisy spirit, polter geist, noisy spirit, and again those can those can be just highly energetic ghosts that tend to be a little bit more angry, I think would be it would be a good way of describing it.
Speaker 2: What is a visual anomaly?
Speaker 1: Visual anomaly, I think it's just a umbre all thetone for seeing something you can't explain.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you've seen that, You've seen things you can't explain. Yeah, if you'll get to that supernatural assault, supernatural assault, I can't say that happened. Sorry, that's probably fairly rare event. But yeah, people do occasionally report feeling like they have been literally assaulted by something unknown. So for example, from the experiences that I've heard, people often report feeling like they're being pushed down the stairs. Rare down the stairs for example, it is rare phenomena where where you you physical interaction, being being moved or touched or objects even being moved are fairly uncommon because very hard if you sense a present well a return for that you sense there's something in the room rather than see it. Yep. Sounds presence, that's strangey okay. And what sort of things do people sense? I mean, the Hollywood will tell you there is a coldness in the room, or there's a smell in the room. What is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, most of the time, probably the two most common things are people will shadow shadow people. I guess you sense something in the corner of your periphery, so you're looking at you're doing your own thing, and you just sense a movement, something that catches all right, you look over and there's nothing there. That's a very common one. And then at the same time or or separately, this sense presence where you're in the room and you just feel like there's someone looking at you or someone in the room with you, and there are Strangely enough, there are actually physical explanations for that. Magnetic fields, magnetic fields and ultrasounds. So those those are two mechanisms that potentially can induce those two sensations, which is yeah.
Speaker 2: So always the magnetic is that the magnetic field of because you've written the paper on this, but the magnetic field of the earth or what is the magnetic So there have been.
Speaker 1: There have been a few few cases, and a classic one was in the older days when people slept with alarm clocks. There was one one girl that long ago. That's that's what I used to think, until I started do you do you have an alarm clock.
Speaker 2: In your bed? Who has?
Speaker 1: These days? It's all the mobile phones now. But in this case, there was a girl, a young girl who kept having this sense presence, waking up nightmares, thinking there's someone in the room, and someone and someone, And it turned out it was the person who was investigating it was a bit of a skeptic and found out that the alarm clock was generating quite strong natic fields, and when they're near the head, especially around the temporal lobes ones on the side of your head, certain people are predisposed or have a sensitivity in that region and it can generate those feelings.
Speaker 2: I remember. I was really I interviewed recently, actually last year, an expert on aliens, and he quoted to me some evidence I've read from a man called David Grush in the United States Evans of Congress. He had been a worker in the US sort of alien area, if you like, and he claimed there was evidence of visitations, and he talked about people about aliens, about people. I talked about aliens in different dimensions? Are we what are we talking about here? That whatever you're talking that is something you do with a different dimension. See, I can't comprehend what a different dimension is.
Speaker 1: It's it's it is. It's a difficult concept to get around. You had that we live in this three three dimensional four dimensional if you include time, and then there might be another dimension where things pop out and you know, pop in and pop back out again. Difficult concept. But there's I don't know that much about UFOs, but I know Jacques Valley he was he was a very prominent uthologist, and he was looking at all of the reports of people reporting these things, and you were saying that these the reports that he was acquiring were so absurd in some cases that they it didn't make any sense that these things were coming from out of space. And he actually came to the through the idea, the theory that they are interdimensional. They pop in, they do something, and then they pop out again.
Speaker 2: So when you see and we take Kim Williams out of it, when somebody sees there there's a family meeting and dead dad suddenly turns up at the table. It could be dead dad popping out of another dimension. Does that mean it's a dimension full of dead people somewhere be pretty crowded.
Speaker 1: Ah, yes, I don't know how the dimension works. I've been I've been trying to figure out how how it interacts with the physical world, because there is definitely evidence of that that occurs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hell yeah, Well what's the evidence.
Speaker 1: Well, if we pick up something that isn't explainable by current laws of physics, which this ghost stuff falls into that category, then I'm guessing we're pretty pretty knowledgeable about our current environment, our current physics, and what can it cannot occur in that if something is popping in that we can't explain. One quite likely possibility is that there is another dimensions, or there is another another vibration level that something is you know, is coming in and back out again.
Speaker 2: It's all scared, you're spooky, not particularly, No, well.
Speaker 1: I know, it's it's just that one day, one day will be.
Speaker 2: There maybe ye. Well, see, the unknown is a bit challenging, a bit spooky, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, you find it intrigues I look, I find it intriguing myself. The possibilities are quite interesting. What is difficult is is getting science to should acknowledge it because there's because it is such a far out concept, so far out of our comfort zone.
Speaker 2: Is the serious scientific research going on to the into these sort of things.
Speaker 1: There are there are some groups that are definitely serious about it. There's a lot of amateur groups that also interested probaly more for the entertainment purposes or just trying to get something. But there are a few groups. I just did a book review for one group, but they're mostly psychology based. Ghost research is a really tricky thing to do because you've got to go on site, you've got to be there all night, it's laborious, and then ninety percent of the time you don't should get anything. So most research that's academic is usually done in labs, so either through through looking at individual components. I'd say, let's investigate magnetic field effect on the brain and see if we can reproduce some of the ghost responses and a lot of a lot of it is also psychology questionnaires, psychological questionnaires.
Speaker 2: The couple of other definitions precognition.
Speaker 1: Precognition, what's that, Yeah, ability to obtain information from the future about the future through non non standard.
Speaker 2: Means, and does that exist.
Speaker 1: As freaky as it is as it sounds, there's actually quite a few papers now showing that there is an effect.
Speaker 2: It's sort of thing, not the lot of numbers I wants.
Speaker 1: So the most most interesting for me is the physiological ones where you if you measure your your skin resistance for example, galvanic skin resistance GSR, or your brain activity through electrodes or eug electrodes, and what you find is that your body actually preempts a particular target that comes up on the screen. So for example, you're you're sitting there wired up with these biosensors and they give you a test where they let you look at a blank screen and in five seconds you're going to get a just a regular, bland image they give you contrasted between regular images or really really emotionally charged images. If you give you a bland image, just a picture of house or whatever, they monitor your response and they find pretty average response. Your skin resistance goes up a little bit, you know, one second before the image because you're predicting the image it's going to come up. But when they give you an emotionally charged image. You get five or six seconds before it actually comes up, you get a different response, And so your body is somehow predicting that it's going to get an emotional emotionally charged stimulus about five, five, up to six seconds before it actually comes up.
Speaker 2: Is that common?
Speaker 1: It's Yeah, it's been reproduced and how is it not in the mainstream media because the skeptics will say, no, it can't. It's got to be flawed in some way. Yeah, there are other other tests as well. I think one of the earlier tests, if I recall correctly, Daryl Bem I think it was the researcher he just used a memory test. It's commonly used in psychology. So I think you and he reversed that memory test. So the normal test, I've maybe something like here's a list of ten words that you have to memorize, and then one hour later you'll you will do a test out of one hundred words, you've got to pick these ten. What he did reversed it. He goes you pick out of these hundred words, you pick ten, and then an hour later they give you a list of ten words to memorize. And what he found was that the people actually picked ten words that they were later given at a higher chance because it's all statistics, it's all statistic based, so it's a chance based. But yeah, overall they found that there was actually slightly more picked that than you would expect. So it's a very smaller fact, very small. You've got to do lots of repetitions and lots of tests, but it comes through on a statistical level.
Speaker 2: Are there any credible examples of people and I can understand which you're talking about, that that precognition there in the lab who were actually saying in real life, I knew that was going to happen, Because you can never prove it. I mean, if somebody says I knew that the West Gate Bridge was going to fall down before it did, how do you prove it? And then does that happen.
Speaker 1: The way to prove it, I guess would be to write down your precognition before it actually happened. And because because I've had people who came to me claiming that they were precognitive and they gave me references and someone, but every time they contacted me, it was always after after I said, oh I told you this was going to happen.
Speaker 2: What have you ever come across the case that you thought you couldn't explain that was genuine.
Speaker 1: In terms of recognition myself personally, I've I've had, Look, I've had personal experiences. I've had I've had one where I actually had a dream about going to to Canberra, going to Parliament House and there's a it's a weird unusual kind of under around car park section where you're going into the unerground carpark And in my dream I had elements of that in my dream, superimposed with all the other absurd dream imagery, But there was elements of that, and I totally forgot about it. Ye about a year, a year and a half later, I'm actually driving with a colleague to go to a conference. We drive in there and I just exclaimed it, just said, oh my god, this is what I this is what I dreamt about.
Speaker 2: So you dreamed about the car part.
Speaker 1: Year and a half. Yeah, it was a mundane thing. It was like totally insignificant, but it's I guess meaningful to me in some way.
Speaker 2: Is this what Dejavu's about?
Speaker 1: Deja vu is a little bit less, it's a bit more obscure in that it's just a feeling that you've been somewhere and you've done this before. So it's a it's a sense of familiarity that you can't quite pin down.
Speaker 2: So ghosts, how do you prove a ghost exists? How do you suspect that a ghost exists? How do you explain the inexplicable ghosts apparitions? Poulter Geist's famous sites where there have been a lot of ghost sightings? Why Dr Vladimir Dubai more from him in a moment. The study you've done, I'm going to try. I've read through it, and Asa said I understood some of it. Magnetispheric and lunar interactions with reported sensorlly hallucinations and exploratory study involving Port Arthur or in the incidence Port Arthur.
Speaker 1: It just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it does?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a top top seller. What did you do?
Speaker 1: A colleague of mine was lucky enough to get his hands on about twenty five years worth of eyewitness reports at Port Arthur. So luckily, what Port Arthur management did every time someone experienced something that they couldn't explain, they went to management and wrote down their experience. Sometimes it's just like one or two sentences. Sometimes it's a bit more. But the thing is most of them had date and time that it occurred. And what that allowed us to do was to actually pull twenty five years of information together. And it was going to be a series, I guess, a series of tests that you can do with them. But the first one that came to my mind was, okay, let's rule out moonface because Moonface was annoying me.
Speaker 2: You're talking about round about seven. I think it was over a thousand people, but you didn't get repetitive No, those stories about seven hundred incliments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we removed all the repetitions and sometimes there were two eye witnesses to the reports, and we just pulled it for because we were mostly interested in the time and date, yes, more so than necessarily the content, at least for this particular study. And yeah, so we my first interest because I was always interested in magnetic fields, and I was always very skeptical of moonface because moonfase, all right, people kept talking about it, and I thought, let's.
Speaker 2: Put it out of what is was late Burt Newton? What is what is moon phase? Sorry? Newton was known as moonface Moon face moon phase, the phase of man assuring.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's commonly referred to like a witchcraft and someone, you know, you do a certain spell on a full moon or a new moon and someone and and there was always this talk about moon phase being related to ghost activity, and I was always pretty pretty cynical about it. So I said, okay, let's just quickly do this. It's a simple simple thing. Categorize all of the dates and occurrences by by the phase of the moon. Did the analysis, and it's seriously significant.
Speaker 2: There are more ghosts when it's full moon.
Speaker 1: More people reporting ghost activity on a full moon and a new moon. So in a full moon it goes up, drops off for the rest of the month, and then new moon as well comes up. That was interesting, But there's other there's physical explanations for that, or the psychological explanations for it.
Speaker 2: The moon affecting person well.
Speaker 1: Because there's no real there's no real known mechanism by which the moon directly affects people. And like you know, people often put forward this idea or the gravitational pull because it pulls oceans and so on. Someone did the cal collation. It says the gravitational effect of the moon on the human is equivalent to two meters tall brick wall about a meter away from me. That's about a much gravitational pull that it has on a human, So gravity not so much. And there are logical explanations. For example, if someone is out there Port Arthur, it's a big place, often outdoors at night, you look at the moon, you see that it's a full moon, you'll make that connection. So we assume that you're going to increases your chance or expectation of seeing something paranormal. Conversely, on a new moon, there's a lot less light, a lot more room available for misinterpretation of vague stimuli.
Speaker 2: So you can see the reasons why the full moon might lead to that absolutely.
Speaker 1: So that I can I can say that study was interesting, but I couldn't separate out the physical psychological factors from paranormal. But what I did then was go back to my own studies. I had a much smaller data set of my investigations, and I looked at again the days that we looked at those, and I know that my team was pretty skeptical about moon phase because we're often making jokes about it during the investigations. So we didn't even really monitor it. I look at that exactly the same pattern. More activity occurs on New Moon and full moon than other periods of the month, and that, to me is gives credibility to this study which is much larger that the moon phase does correlate and there's a good chance that there is something that isn't psychological or physical, there's some other element.
Speaker 2: Why do you take that step.
Speaker 1: Because this larger study in Port Arthur shows the pattern My study, my it was another paper that I actually published with another journal. Uh, kind of teases out the psychological factors and the and the the belief from from that. So that kind of once you once you once you tease out the physical factors and you tease out the psychological factors, what's left could be considered potentially parallel.
Speaker 2: Well, what about the geomagnetic activity? What did you find there? And what is it for? That's a sort of like a some storm, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's actually the relationship that the Sun has with the Earth. It's so the Earth has got a very strong, well a week. I don't know if it's a week, a week or strong. I'm not sure what I'm comparing it to. But it's got a magnetic field, and that kind of acts as a shield because the Sun is constantly throwing out charge particles at the Earth, and every once in a while you get solar storms where the Sun spits out, spews out sunspots, a lot of matter being ejected, and eventually that if that hits the Earth, it causes the Aurora Borealis and Aurora Australis patterns, and that causes very strong magnetic magnetic storms, like low, very low frequency magnetic pulsations that kind of reverberate through around the planet.
Speaker 2: And in fact, we just had a big weekend for that, I think, so, yeah, I've got quite a warning on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can download an app on your phone actually monitor in real time if that's something that interests you. But on that note, there was another research on Michael Persinger and he has been looking at the effects of magnetic fields on the brain and he found he actually developed a helmet called Quran helmet. I think it is helmet where you put little magnetic fields, not sensors, but generators and little magnetic field things around, especially the temporal lobes ears. And you found that if you if you stimulate one side with a magnetic field roughly the same strength as the Earth in a in a biologically significant pattern, people will report a sensed presence will they will say, oh my god, there's something in the room with me. And if the interesting thing is, if you stimulate one side, you've got positive sensations like something pleasant, angel is here with me. If you do the other side, it's a negative.
Speaker 2: Well, so did this study at Port Arthur, did that show any link between geomagnetic activity and signings or reports?
Speaker 1: So again, what we looked at was the twenty five year cycle, because what you find is that the magnetic fields fluctuate like a seat, it's like a season like you know, winter, spring, autumn and someone. There's a fluctuations and when when you when you log the number of reports per year or per month, it also follows that trend of the magnetic field field intensity.
Speaker 2: So again, and does that link with the lunar No, they they.
Speaker 1: Both correlate, but they're on totally different different.
Speaker 2: Times they're both causing any or that they're both there at the time of an increase in report.
Speaker 1: So what you find is that that on months where there's a lot of a lot of geromagnetic storms, a lot of germ magnetic activity. More people will report ghosts and ghost.
Speaker 2: Phenomena, But this isn't that an explanation, a scientific explanation that says, hang on, that's just the magnetism playing games with your brain and you think you're seeing ghosts. Yep.
Speaker 1: So exactly. A skeptic will say, there you go, there's your explanation, and you can't exclude that because we've seen in the lab. You can, you can, you can induce it. What what you can't explain, though, is events where multiple people see the same thing the same thing, or objects physically move, and so a lot of a lot of the reports of pot Arthur involved equipment malfunctioning equipment or things actually physically moving. Those things you can't explain through Have you been there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it is an eerie place the first thing. But then I thought, well, I know it's history, and I was there pre the shootings, and that's just added to it. But I was there, I know the history of the place and how awful it was, So of course it's a yarie to me because I know all about it.
Speaker 1: Do you feel that to I'm terrible at picking up on these things. I'm about as sensitive as as a brick. For these I am trying to enhance my my sensitivity things.
Speaker 2: To tell me what is what is the ghost Chaser's kit. We talked briefly about the equipment. Now if you again you see it on TV and the movies and the things that go bing and beaten like Monty Python. There's all sorts of devices that show things in the real world. What you use if you're going out to investigate reports that you think require investigation, what do you take with you?
Speaker 1: So, look my equipment. I focus on the environment. So a lot of the equipment that I have is essentially to measure measure things in the environment. Temperature being one, magnetic fields so we have EMF meters. We've got thermal imaging cameras, night vision cameras. Sound sound is a main one. A lot of a lot of activity is essentially different sounds, and then you work up again the energy levels. We might have microwave detectors and kind of higher energy ionizing radiation, so guide counters and things. So the idea is again try and get as much of the spectrum as possible. Some of the other groups might then focus on interaction interaction with the spirits, So they might have trigger objects. Object is something that might that allows an entity, if it's in the room, to interact with. So some of the things that I use are little dog toys. You bounce them and they light start flashing lights and they've actually turned out to be really helpful. Just leave it in the room and and a couple of times now we've just seen it just start.
Speaker 2: It moves, it lights up.
Speaker 1: I've never seen a move. I've seen them just light up simultaneously by themselves.
Speaker 2: So what else have you you've seen that was difficult to explain in your equipment, you know, the equipment shows this, this or this.
Speaker 1: So we've had the pattern that's occurred over the years during my investigations has led me to believe that the psychology of the individuals investigating has an impact on the actual Yes, because when I started, come the skeptics again. When I started, what would happen is you would set up the whole room or an entire area with equipment and start monitoring it. And you go there for one hour and do this we call it vigil where you sit there and you just monitor the environment. Nothing happens all what you find is that you're in this room and something happens in another room. You damn I missed it. I should have put something in there. Or at the end of the hour, you take a break and during that fifteen minute coffee break something happens. So it's almost as if things were actively avoiding interacting with us during those times. Only fairly recently did we have. Probably the most significant event that I had experienced myself was when collectively a group of us, about ten fifteen to twenty people all came together and we were all in the same mindset, in the same mood. At that point, something physically manifested and about six or seven of us saw an apparition.
Speaker 2: Just run past. So what was your mood?
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: An interesting It's the first time we tried it because I was part of a a ghost tour. We were doing a like a mini conference and a little two of this place and one person we're trying to all the mediums will try to raise your vibrations or whatever through through singing, and someone none.
Speaker 2: Of it was working.
Speaker 1: A bit of queen I have I have heard of of of in mediumship circles. They would want any song to try and get everybody singing and get them happy or something along the side. That's why I didn't work, because we're all sitting there and nobody knows each other because it's all and everyone's just really awkward until one individual started sharing her experience, which was really emotionally deep, and I think it brought everybody in onto the same level mentally.
Speaker 2: And what did you say?
Speaker 1: And that at that point in the behind everyone, we saw a shimmer. Have you ever watched the movie Predator? Yeah, pretatype where you've got the the the alien itselful. The predator has got this this distortion field, so it allows it to hide in the jungle. I'm not sure if you recall closer.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Another good example is the heat coming off of the hot road. You can see the I forget what it's called, but the heat distortion almost look like that in a figure form running along the wall and past the window. And when it went past the window, you could see the distortion to the point where it looked like the window was opening and closing. And four seconds later, the trigger object fired, which was sitting on the ground right in its trajectory, so the light just started flushing all by itself, and about six or seven people saw it.
Speaker 2: And you saw it. Yeah, can you explain it?
Speaker 1: I can't give you a scientific explanation for it.
Speaker 2: Can you give me a non scientist.
Speaker 1: Can My subjective feel for this, based on other things that I've experienced, is that there was an entity in the room, and I have a feeling that the energy, I don't know what, I don't know how you define that energy from the group or the mental state of the group somehow provided energy to this thing to actually be able to manifest it.
Speaker 2: It's reminiscent of a call I took on radio only a couple of days ago from a woman who was a night nurse at an age care facility, and she one of the residents had died while she was off duty, and that she had been very close to her. So she's sitting there at two o'clock in the morning, probably just watching for patients that need it, and down the corridor came something she described as looking like a swarm of bees in the shape of a figure. But that could easily be that sort of what you're describing, she says, it wasn't. She was, it wasn't specifically a person, but it was in the shape of a figure, and it was like a vision of swirling. Is the way you describe. There's very similar thing. I'd love to get to you to your other experiences. You you said there had been several others stands out to you. I written one about an orb. Yeah, so those weird one. I've seen a couple of orbs, and one of the most common thing is people will take a photograph in a supposedly haunted location and they'll see these orbs and photographs, and I kind of got tired of looking at them because it's almost inevitably dust particles in the camera. So it's if you get dust or particle of matter in front of the focal length of the camera, it just looks like a big spot. Too many people keep sending me this stuff, and I kind of got a bit cynical of it. The only time I've accepted orbs was when I actually saw them with my own eyes. And what happened the first time was an investigation at an abandoned asylum country Victoria, and again I was just by chance, by design. We were always investigating in groups of two, and I'm standing there too in the morning, looking at a doorway, and there's just this orange orange ball size of basketball, just a very faint orange, and it's kind of glowing, pulsing very very slowly, and I'm looking at it and I'm.
Speaker 1: Almos because it's two in the morning, I'm tired, and I'm thinking, I think it's just my imagination or it must be something. It must be a light from one of the wall fittings that's reflecting on the door. It must be there's no lights on. Last year, As it turns out, there was no power to that section. It was essentially almost condemned building, so there was no power, and all the shutters were closed because anyway. I turned to my colleague, who was looking in another direction, I said, can you see that? And we both picked it up. And the first thought was, Okay, it's got to be something. It could be torch light from outside. We looked at people outside. Nobody out there. Again, curtains are closed. We came back at least two or three times thereafter to try and try and look at different theories as to what might have happened.
Speaker 2: So how long was how long were looking at it?
Speaker 1: About a minute or so, so it's a long time. And again it wasn't. It didn't feel supernatural.
Speaker 2: It's just there. But you can't explain it. You can't explain it still, I'm sure you've done a lot of thinking about Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we thought it might be helicopters. We thought it might be carl light fire, fire lights from the wall. There's nothing, nothing that really made sense to it.
Speaker 2: And you've seen it again, or you've seen a similar thing.
Speaker 1: I saw a similar thing, much more pronounced. But it wasn't necessarily related to ghosts. This was just a weird, really weird location that a colleague of mine got me onto in Tasmania, isolated farmland and the people there had been reporting everything from UFOs to ghosts to strange things, and they said most nights when it's not raining, they would look out the back window at night and they would just see lights and they don't know if it's torch lights from people's on. We went there and literally the first night we see this, at dusk, we see this blue light. No, it's a white light just to pear about five feet off the ground and the white lights just hovering, turns blue and then it splits in two and then starts moving and just fades away. And we're all, I'm kind of I have no idea what that is, and.
Speaker 2: You still haven't.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: What do you thought about theory?
Speaker 1: Well after that, I mean, the theory is, well, okay, what's what's behind it? Could we have car headlights? And we again we looked at all the possibilities. We went and looked at the maps, We looked at what's the property that's behind them. It's very isolated, so there's really nobody, nobody for about a kilometer or two, you know, further down. We thought it might be lights from a lake or whatever. There was really no explanation for it that we could come up with.
Speaker 2: Hm, was it in any way you mentioned? The first one was just there. It wasn't particularly confronting. It was the second one confronting or puzzling or discovering.
Speaker 1: There was no emotional come out other than excitement saying, oh my god, what's this that's really interesting?
Speaker 2: So other than that sort of glimpsing, the glimpse of the sort of fuzzy thing, have you have you ever seen a ghost?
Speaker 1: As I said, the closest thing was that was that apparition.
Speaker 2: Have you ever felt the coal or the noise? Or the.
Speaker 1: We The most common things would be would be audio anomalies, sounds that we couldn't explain, and occasionally, occasionally, for me, I think the most annoying thing was interaction with my electronic equipment. Often some of the more active places you'd find that stuff that would normally work just stopped working and you couldn't get it to work again. I have I had a computer system connecting to all my CCTV cameras, all my security cameras, which would set up and this thing's pretty robust, Like we drive Country Victoria on dirt roads. Everything's working fine. I take it to this one location inner city, set it up, and it just stops working. I have to reinstall all the software and stuff, and there was no explanation for it because it's never never acted up prior to that, and it is always when I went to that location, something would happen with the electronic equipment.
Speaker 2: Why are you seeing all these things? Is it because you're going to these places or is there something about you that.
Speaker 1: In all honesty, I see a small percentage of things. I wouldn't classify myself as being one of the more being able to see any more than anyone else. And in fact, there was a study done a little couple of years ago that seems to show that people who experience ghost activity or hauntings in their own homes tend to have a baseline a higher level of psychic ability, that is, their brains are kind of more wired for picking up these things.
Speaker 2: So there are there is, There are people and the people who claim and do it professionally as well, but there are people who do actually have a level of psychic ability, which is.
Speaker 1: Some people are more predisposed to others. You can train yourself, but some people are just born a little bit more more sensitive than others.
Speaker 2: What do you think of the ghost industry, ghost tours and ghost movies and ghosts of I was watching some of the United States prepared in preparing for this interview, and well, it's a bit sort of It almost demeans what you're doing, doesn't it. I feel like I should have refrained from commenting, really, what are you?
Speaker 1: I'm not a big fan of it in all honesty, it's I understand why people do it, because it is really it's it's a fascinating field, but coming from it as a scientist who wants to try and understand it a bit more. It actually interferes with my ability to do the investigations because there's been several times now where I would have lined up an investigation with all location, only for it to fall through, and then a month later there's a contract with some tour group wants to go through, and that's happened a little bit too many times. There's also a lot of people muscling in so people to get territorial. So these groups will say, oh, this is our place, now can't you can't.
Speaker 2: Go to investment, so you're not making money out of it.
Speaker 1: I have never charged for investigation all. It's a lot of my pocket.
Speaker 2: See that helps credibility. Are children more likely to have psychic capability or animals?
Speaker 1: I know that children up to about the age of five, their brains, parts of their brains are still I guess you're developing until about eighteen to twenty years of age. But there's a lot of a lot of a lot of evidence that people up until the age of five or so actually more prominent, more likely to recall past lives, so they they will say, hey, when I was a girl back in my back in the other day, I died in a fire or something, and the parents are going, what are you talking about. A colleague of mine actually said exactly that. Apparently, up until age of five, he was telling his parents that he was a girl who died at the age of nineteen or so at a pub fire in a nearby town, and as it turns out, parents looked at it and said, yeah, there was a fire and a person died.
Speaker 2: So watch your stand on reincarnation or haven't you looked at it? Probably I can't say I've looked at it. I would like to believe in it. I think that's probably as far as that, but I haven't really looked at it in detail. But if you have reincarnations, you wouldn't have ghosts, because that'll be back.
Speaker 1: There's always this idea that not everybody who passes away remains a ghost. In fact, the evidence suggests that all ghosts, almost every ghost, is caused by traumatic death. So people who die suddenly and violently they will remain behind in some way, and the ghosts, the hauntings, don't last forever. They do eventually fade away. So it almost seems like these people are mentally processing what's happened to them and then moving on to whatever that other place.
Speaker 2: Is you had trouble with your equipment, or about animals or animals we use stories about dogs apparently bristling and grounding for no reason because dogs have been hearing a bit of smell.
Speaker 1: So yeah, cats and dogs have been reported to experience that. Interestingly enough, out of body experiences. Back in the I'm not sure seventies or eighties eighties, there was one study done looking at a person who can induce out of body experiences, that will and his pat cat. And what they found was that they did it studying to look at where the cat was sitting during the experiment, and they found when he was out of his body and in the room, the cat would spend more time in that particular part of the thing. So it's almost as if the cat was picking.
Speaker 2: Up on somewhere. Yeah, exorcism. This is puzzled me because as far as the Catholic Church, and I'm much about the anklers with the Catholic Church certainly still believes in exorcism, in driving the devil out of people. Have you ever seen it done?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, I have.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure what. I'm not sure what I believe or how I feel about about exorcisms per se, but I do know that it is fairly common that people will, well I guess, sometimes get attachments, attachments from ghosts or spirits that will essentially follow follow them. And so we've had people who, even in my group, who ended up bringing something home with them. And the scary thing is the scary thing is that this person, once they got the attachment, actually didn't want to get rid of it. And that's that's a that's a that's a bit of a scary thought.
Speaker 2: You do.
Speaker 1: You can get attachments. I'm not sure how common it is, and it can manifest itself through things now start to happen in your house, or your personality might change or is it being affected.
Speaker 2: Why didn't this person want to get rid of whatever attached?
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing. Some people like the attention, other people don't. And this comes out in ghost investigations when when people approach us, people will approach us saying, look, my place is haunted, can you help me? And I do the I do? The investigations come in and the personality of the individual. Some just desperately wanted to go on, Others want had gone, or they tell you they wanted to go on. But you can tell that they're fascinated by it, and that that attraction to the phenomena actually makes it stay, makes it very heart.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty dramatic film of exicisms, of priests conducting driving the devil out of somebody. What do you put that down to? What dold I put it down to? You're the scientist.
Speaker 1: I've never I've never seen an exorcism, a real exorism film. I've only ever seen movie versions of that. So I couldn't really specify.
Speaker 2: As you can artifacts be haunted. Artifacts, you know there's a something sitting in the corner.
Speaker 1: I've heard of it, and I've heard of objects and things supposedly being haunted. In fact, I had one person email me just last week claiming that this piece of jewelry she acquired, when she got it, electrical equipment started malfunctioning in her house, so she started getting So I can't discount it's the possibility is there. But I'm also aware that mediums and psychics claim that they can cleanse these these things, and they can cleanse individuals and have attachments to them.
Speaker 2: I was looking in some of the famous cases of alleged hauntings in Australia, and often you say they're creative for tourism things like the beach Worth Asylum. Was that where you had your experience, So I've been there at dusk by coincidence, i was in the area and it was all closed down. It's a spooky place. And again like Port Arthur, you know the history of it, so it spooks you a bit. Princess Theodore Melbourne not spooky, but alleged they got to go Frederick FREDERICI died on stage Port Arthur, many of them. Arradel Mental Asylum as a nurse wandering around Young and Jackson's the pub in Melbourne. Alleged woman appears out the front with her throat cut. The old Melbourne jail cells seventeen people scratched and britt bitten when they go in there, Adelaide Arcade, Francis Clooney caretaker who they think might have been murdered, and some of the locals. So this daily experience of the para paranormal, Larundel music box playing. I mean, all these sort of places, there's a thread here. They are as you said, they're places of trauma. Their place is probably a violent death.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so as I said, the study is done. Looking at the I think ninety nine percent of them are due caused by violent death or sudden death. There's only one that was kind of I think a lady that died of a broken heart because her husband didn't come back from true true, I guess. So I guess in some sense they're all pretty traumatic.
Speaker 2: Sorry, yes, can I just say?
Speaker 1: I have also encountered places that aren't haunted but became haunted mainly because of popular belief. So I've investigated locations where after the investigation I spoke to the original owner, original occupant, and he said, no, no one's ever died there. The only reason why people believe there's a ghost there is because of a popular TV show that came into the investigation, and the resident psychic said, oh, I can send something here, and from then it was set in concrete because it was good for publicity.
Speaker 2: What about that some of those places I mentioned, have you heard of them? Have you heard of the claims there? Places like Young and Jackson's or beat Worth or Error.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dale Adel's Prief pretty familiar. There's yeah, lots of lots of things occurring over there as well.
Speaker 2: What sort of things.
Speaker 1: That's that's where I saw the orbs, is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, do you believe we continue after death? Yes? I don't know what form.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know what form. I'm starting to put together this personal belief in terms of the survival of consciousness. And I think that survival of consciousness yeah, fits fits the ghost activity and all the other activity that that's reassuring to. Yeah, I think I think certainly, certainly nobody wants to Nobody wants to be on their death bed and thinking oh, that's it, there's nothing else. It's actually pretty confronting to think, like.
Speaker 2: What about near death experiences they teach us anything about that. I've talked a few doctors about this, and like most people might, I've been with people when they died, sitting in bedside, and I've never seen anything at all other than the person stops breathing. And a lot of doctors I spoke to so no, we didn't notice anything. But then there are these reports people sitting up in bed from a coma and saying hello, mum. You know that sort of thing deathbed visions? Yeah, what do you think of that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's in fact, there was a United Nations Mind Body suppose M conference. But this is back in two thousand and seven, and there was a doctor Bruce Grace and I think his name is. He was giving examples to the committee saying, we have people who have irreversible dementia who are on the deathbed. They do not remember their husbands, their kids, someone, and half an hour or one hour before they die, they become completely lucid, completely aware of everything, They welcome, They say goodbye to their husbands or wives, they say goodbye to their kids, and then they pass away. And he's saying, no, there's no current model or explanation for how you can come out of this irreversible.
Speaker 2: So what does a neuroscientist say about that? Well, that's the thing that we can't. We can't.
Speaker 1: I mean, you do get this experience of people just get this last minute energy that comes through. But if you're neurons, if your connections are irreparably damaged, how do you get that? How do you come back to being completely lucid for a period of time. On top of that, with deathbed visions, there have been lots of examples where they obtain information that they won't privy to. So as the person is dying. They will see. Let's say, there have been cases where this person sees their cousin who they still believe is alive. They see their cousin in the corner of the room. They say, oh, my cousin's over there. What they didn't know was that the family family hasn't told the patient who's dying that the cousin actually passed away, you know, the previous day, and so they see them. There was one and this was this was written up in a journal. This was actually a doctor, a female doctor, who was undergoing pretty severe She was in hospital, I think an award, severe fever, other things going on, and in that in that state, she sees this man she's never seen before. And the man is saying, I forget what he was saying. He was saying a name or something, and the name was was the colleague that was looking after her. And she kept ignoring because she thought, it's just a it's just a hallucination. It's a vehicle hallucination. I've got massive temperature. And someone so ignored her two or three times until finally she said, look, there's a there's a man here who's telling me call home to her colleague so the colleague calls home. It turns out it was her father. Her father was dying and he was somehow being able to communicate with this person who was ill to pass on a message. Does something doesn't make sense?
Speaker 2: That certainly makes well, it doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if I explained it.
Speaker 2: I certainly understand what you're meaning now a message being passed on. But part of the problem is you can never prove any of these things, can you. If ghosts exist and those sort of messages exist from two between two dying people separated by significant distance, you can never prove it.
Speaker 1: They're all anecdotal anecdotal, and a statistician or a skeptic will probably say, well, people people make claims X amount of times one of them is likely to come true. So you can explain it away like that.
Speaker 2: If you were able to prove some of these things, it changed the world. Wouldn't a change? For example, if this happens, there could be other dimensions you can be you're improving other exemptions. Dimensions exist even though you don't know what they are, which opens up the whole alien thing. It opens up life after death, it opens up religion. It would be enormously significant if it could ever be proven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it actually makes me wonder do we want.
Speaker 2: To prove it exactly? Do you want to prove it?
Speaker 1: When I started, yes, not Now where my attitude has changed over the years, I've gone from looking at this phenomena from a strictly scientific perspective. Then I started looking into the spiritual aspects. But initially the motivation was to make myself more sensitive to these things because I wasn't picking up on anything other people were, So I thought, if I started meditation, if I start looking at the spiritual things, I will develop some other sensory organ that will allow me to pick up on these things. But during the course of investigations and other stuff, I'm actually starting to think, uh, every it's an individual journey for every person. If you go into this journey, you've prove it to yourself to your own level of satisfaction that there is something else there. It is a sense of comfort. I'm not sure if I got irrevocal proof that there is that I could go to the community and say, hey, this is proof that ghosts. Ghosts exist, and here's a way that I can manipulate it to induce this this experience, I'm not sure that I want to share it with the scientific community because at this at the current stage, it's I can see it one hundred percent becoming abused by corporations. If there's a method or a pro call that will allow you to tap into another thing, it's at this stage I think it's just going to be abused.
Speaker 2: So you're not worried about being mocked again or challenged if you've got your refutable proof, you'd be worried about the commercialization of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it makes sense. That makes sense. Do we need serious study on that basis or not? Do we continue serious study? Do you continue in the lab? Do you keep looking or do you.
Speaker 1: I think with ghosts, with ghosts and survival of consciousness, I think I'm kind in a state where I'm happy that individual people that follow or look into that path can get a bit bit of a resolution or a bit of a comfort in their own journey with other things. So, for example, the more mainstream parapsychology, which is essentially the mind things like typathy or precognition and those things like that. I think the mechanisms of finding the mechanisms of those things are actually still pretty interesting and positive. Perhaps, yeah, I think so potentially. Again, you have to be very careful too, because that's also praying to exploit.
Speaker 2: Could you trust the world with it? I think with Sudini who said if he could come back after death, he would and nobody's seen him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he made up some sort of secret code that his wife or something could unlock.
Speaker 2: And would you would I well, hopefully a long way off. But when the time passed, when you pass away, would you like to come back? Would you promise to come back?
Speaker 1: My understanding is that coming back or stay behind is not necessarily in the best interest of you or the person who passes away. That the people or the ghosts that linger behind tend to be the ones that have suffered trauma and are processing things. So necessarily hanging around and acting as a ghost and moving objects is in some ways hindering your progress.
Speaker 2: So that sort of image of the tormented soul is substantiated by what you've seen or investigated. Yeah, it's a tortured soul. So the person who dies a gentle, peaceful death in their late nineties after a good life, you don't see them as ghosts.
Speaker 1: Not so much. It's not uncommon for in the first short period of time that they will make a comeback and people will experience, you know, they might see them, or they might dream about them as a way of comforting the family that they there.
Speaker 2: With Doctor Vladimir Dubai, we're talking to just just finally, let's say this week, and you go out and you make contact with a ghost, and you're in conversation with somebody. You've got no question in your mind that this is another being, a supernatural being or a ghost. What would you ask it one question? You have a couple?
Speaker 1: Oh jeez, that's throw me, I think, because there's I would have a barrage of questions to ask.
Speaker 2: Where would you start? You would have to find out something about them, wouldn't you? Who are you? What are you? Where? Where are you? Where are you?
Speaker 1: Where are you? And how are you getting through?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: How can I make how can I communicate with you in a more effective way? Help us to understand what's going on? All those thoughts about what is the afterlife? What is what is the soul and consciousness?
Speaker 2: And then you've got the dilemma you had that conversation, You've got to tell the world. Yeah, and I say, lads, finally lost it.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I've been dismissed.
Speaker 2: It's fascinating stuff. Thank you so much for your time. I appreciate it. Thank you, Thank you, doctor Vladimir Dubai. Now, just before I leave you to your life, I want to first can congratulate you on showing the good sense to listen to my podcast. Neil Mitchell asks, why there's one rule to this podcast. It's got to be interesting and different. I always try to get inside the head of the person I'm talking to before I go. I wanted to take a moment to thank Three Point Motors the Mercedes dealers, for their continuing support sponsoring the podcast. They were longtime supporters of my radio program, and I'm delighted to say that continues here. I'm something of a dinosaur in the radio business. I don't read advertisements, but I will recommend the quality of the company and the people who run three point many many times. Through our association. They've stepped up to help with my charity campaigns. They've provided superb support one of my favorite charities, which is TLC for Kids. They've provided loan vehicles for people in trouble. Usually I didn't even have to ask. I'd hear me talking about on radio, some attempt to change the world. They'd bring and say, okay, we're in. They are good community citizens. On my dealings with them. You determine whether they're good car dealers or whether they offer good deals. But I know on my dealings they're good people. Three point Motors, Epping, Fairfield and Q. If you need them, you'll find them