Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: After a less than convincing win over the West Coast Eagles, Carlton fans may have been thinking that their season was back on track, but after the weekends demoralizing loss at the hands of North Melbourne, those same fans are asking the age old question when it comes to Carlton, is it the coach or is it the list And it's a conversation that is set to split the Footy Classified Panel. Get comfy on the couch, it's another bumper edition of Footy Classified. Good evening everyone, and welcome to Footy Classified. Yes, Princess Park is where we begin tonight's show, but not before we welcome our start studded panel, one of the best journos in the country, the multiple round winner Damian Barrett Damo great to have you as always both exam the man who won enormous with mettle of brand Low Medland three flags with the catch, Jimmy Bartel James at Evening Sam and the twelve time leading goalkicker the Coleman Medalists from the Bombers Matthew Lord what a great banks as well. On the program, we begin at Carlton and it was their captain Patrick Cripps and also one of their stars and vice captain's Jacob Watering, who looked today to take the heat of coach Michael Voss.
Speaker 3: I couldn't speak highly enough of Ussi as a coach, also as a mentor and a friend. He puts a lot of work into Along with the whole coaches, that group's very aligned. So we're in it together. We're not going to point fingers and not going to point blame anyone else. We're going to take complete ownership, and especially as players, it's really important we take ownership now. Lock He's done a great job for us for a long time now, and I feel like as players, when to am up a bit.
Speaker 4: More, there'll be some honest conversations, I think, and would be silly not to sort of look into when the pressure comes on, what are we doing as players and as leaders. And we've probably been through this a fair bit in my time at the club. But it's again, it's not just on Bossy, it's the entire group, it's the club. We've got to take a one in all in approach.
Speaker 5: You admire them for stepping out in front of the press. They said all the things you'd expect them to say. Both spoke spoke really well. But Jacob water And did say, we've said this a few times before, and we've been in this position before, and I do look at the Carlton senior players and we talk about how good they are their top six or seven, but do they I look at Collingwood as a benchmark in so many areas and the way they influence games out there with just not what they do on field, but the way they also lead their team, and you have to question whether Carlton senior players have ever done that or do they do it enough. So you think about their senior core players and you compare them to the elite and Penelbury's out of this world. But Darcy Moore is a wonderful leader of men. The way steell Sidebottom has been doing his thing be questioning. I'm questioning the cole that the leadership group, like Sam Walsh is young, are still young in terms, but been injured a fair bit. If you say I don't know if Kerno's a leader or not, I'm not sure if Harry mckaye is a leader or not.
Speaker 6: Patrick Cripps.
Speaker 5: Unbelievable, stellar record, but I'm not sure you'd put him on a level playing field with some of those other guys. So I think it is on the senior players. I'd love to talk about Michael Voss, but no doubt they need to lift their act to support their coach.
Speaker 7: They get to a point in your time in career and I still remember early days in Geelong and some of the senior players were like, I don't want to waste my career ten to fifteen years and you play the game to win premierships and so the point I think you're getting towards till a bit Lloyd is yes, they've been fantastic as individuals, but how can you push this group further and how can you actually push them to say we need to just go even harder, We need to drive the standards because what will end up happening is you have a ten to fifteen year career and you'll be celebrated as being a good player, you got paid well, and that's your time in football.
Speaker 8: I don't think people want.
Speaker 7: To finish a ten to fifteen year career just saying I had a good career.
Speaker 8: We didn't win March like I went okay.
Speaker 2: So damo the Jakob eder To Lordie's point said, it feels like we've been here before. We don't actually have to go back that far, like it was after round one when they lost to Richmond, remember that shock loss. And he actually led a really tough review on the Sunday and it was in the Herald Sun and it was a big deal. It seems like, and this is not me having a go, but it seems like there's a lot of talk at Carlton about wanting to do the right things at reviewing the right things, but the actions, the behavior's demo don't seem to be changing.
Speaker 9: No, And to your point about the behaviors, even the build up to the expected exit of Tom da Cooning, Lordy, you were with Lee Matthews, the Great Lee Matthews on three w during the weekend just gone and Tom da Coony had this set about him by Matthews.
Speaker 10: You watched tom deconning plant he could be the highest played player in the game next year.
Speaker 11: That doesn't sound right, doesn't now?
Speaker 10: It doesn't?
Speaker 9: And then that gets us into lord he doesn't it what happens if he does go? And the leadership components to it will get onto Kernel in a moment. But they've just to remind people traded out their first and second round picks of last year. So if the cooning is to go as expecting, the club does expect him to go. Now, the pick at the moment is thirty six without the compensation that they'll get for him. Onto Kerno, Lordie, you've been watching him evolve as a two time common millist. You've watched him in the two seasons completed since then and for half of twenty twenty five, and it's a different decouning to the one that was dominating football when he was winning those medals.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Kerno, yeah, I think just on him.
Speaker 5: I've been I was his greatest admirer or one of when he was playing really great football and he's winning winning Coleman medals. But what I have noticed with him is the difference between his best and worst is pretty stark for a player who's one of the best forwards in the competition. So this year he's had five games where he's had nine disposal or less. You see his numbers have dropped off, but he kicks three a lot. Which asked me, does he drop off in his work rate or does he not sort of have that killer instinct in him? Does he not fight through? You know when you've kicked three, So those guys I want to kick five, I want to kick six. It's saying he's not cashing in enough. Well, not cashing or not working hard enough. I'm not sure it is, Sam, but that's where he's been disappointing. And people can say what about the team that he's in. Well, I saw Nick Larky kick seventy a few years ago in a team that won three games.
Speaker 1: Should he play it on the weekend?
Speaker 6: I didn't think he moved too bad. Sam.
Speaker 5: I was watching it and I didn't see I saw him take a hangar, so his calf couldn't have been too bad. If he's sitting on someone's back, that's what I saw. I think there's a mental aspect to him, which I'm big on. I'm big on what you do when you don't have the foot in it. You might have the foot in your hand for thirty seconds in a game or two minutes if you're not having shots for goal. It's what you do when you don't have the ball. He doesn't work hard enough. So I think the question that we need.
Speaker 2: To answer on this panel tonight and Damo brought it up a few weeks ago with Graham right when he broke the story of the agent of change. Clearly, I think we all agree changes needed at Carlton in some way, shape or form.
Speaker 1: But what major change is it?
Speaker 2: Because it doesn't sound like they're going to move on the coach in season not his season.
Speaker 9: No, there's nine matches remaining and look, mathematically they can still make the aid. So let's just park the Michael Boss conversation for the purpose of tonight's chat. But there are decisions being made at least on assessments of players, and I keep saying in that same piece sam I did write that if a club was to come to Graham Rye with a feasible offer from.
Speaker 11: The outset, not a not a not, not.
Speaker 9: A fancyful one, if a feasible offer to get wrench Mkerno out, he will, I believe, is my opinion, he will engage in that conversation at least at least consider it.
Speaker 11: Now. Whether that happens or not, it's a whole nother ballgame.
Speaker 9: But it's these types of decisions that I expect him to make either in year one of his time, which is basically coming up as soon as next month or year two.
Speaker 2: So Jimmy, could you see a world where they actually trade one of these big name players and keep the coach, because that would be an interesting sell to the fans.
Speaker 7: Anything's on the table, But there are a handful of players that you would not trade at Carlton like they're not trading the skipper Patrick Crips like that just pulled the fabric of the club apart. That there could be potentially one of the key forwards because you've got two of them. But weirdering is safe, like if you can't find some halfbacks that around the competition, there's not too many of them, but the rest of like dam I was saying, if it's a proper offer, no doubt he'd consider it.
Speaker 5: So your same wetering would be safe in your eyes, but not Curno.
Speaker 8: I think weatering's more safe.
Speaker 7: I just think with their list currently the way it's structured at the moment, the key defender you put him next to Silvanni as well. They're pretty good behind the footy.
Speaker 5: Would you try well a year ago, ordn't have said not in my world of streams, would I the Kerno that's playing right now, I'd consider it. But I'm looking at what Matthew Kennedy's doing at the Western Bulldogs and I'm asking why is he playing so well at his new home? Why aren't Carlton players coming in so Again, I look at the club as a whole. You could send Kerno to another club, maybe a top four club, where they may be working harder, or they can get him training harder. I'm not sure what's stopping him, Sam, but it could be haunt them for the rest of their time because he could be the best player in the game at a better club that's currently in Carlton.
Speaker 1: Would you change the list or the coach?
Speaker 6: Well, I think you look at everything, Sam, which which.
Speaker 1: One would you go? Which track would you go? Now?
Speaker 2: And I'm not just saying Michael Boss, would you change?
Speaker 1: I'm talking coaching group or playing the group.
Speaker 5: The coach is always the first to be looked at because it's easier to change the coach than the playing group, and faster and faster. But I'm with the guys. You let him see out the next nine weeks. What I'm concerned about, oh is the ball movement though, so this is on the coach. I want to know is a lack of confidence or is it they're being instructed to do this. So they're being instructed, I would say, well, this is not the way to play football. So Carlton kicked the ball backwards the third most in the competition, and this happened time and time again early in the game. So I'm thinking, why is this happening, Why are you going backwards and where you can't play on it?
Speaker 2: Since did you get at the ground later that this was deliberate?
Speaker 5: It looked to me to be deliberate. Yeah, because it happened so early and they were going okay, and this is the football and the whole Carlton fans and even us in the media box just a sense of relief. Finally they're doing something productive through the corridor the game on and being able to score. But unfortunately this happened when the game was lost. So that's what I'd be asking Michael Voss if I'm a football Director of board member, saying, what happened earlier in this game that had your players kicking it backwards?
Speaker 7: Too many players rushed to get behind the kicker and been big on this for weeks. Yeah, because once you rush behind the kicker, eventually the opposition goes at some stage you're going to come back through us with eighteen. So then you're playing the game twelve thirteen v. Eighteen at AFL level on the MCG, so you're playing eighty percent of the field with twelve players versus eighteen. You can't win games like that, no wonder you keep going sidewards and backwards because you look up because three or four of your teammates are rushing to get behind you for a switch.
Speaker 11: Key.
Speaker 7: The difference was that last edit that Lloyd showed that only one came behind and then the next one's come flying through and that's how you play football.
Speaker 5: So and the last thing I'll say on them is their biggest weapon was their clearance, their contests and their pressure. That's how they beat Geelong in that big win earlier in the year. If they're matched in that or beaten like North did on the weekend, what's their how do they win the game of football?
Speaker 6: So they planned, ye, what's their playing And that's that's what I'd ask.
Speaker 2: It's a fascinating situation at Carlton and one to watch over the next nine weeks, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Speaking you're fascinating.
Speaker 2: It has been an intriguing situation developing at the kennel surrounding one of their start players, of course not playing at the moment in Jamar at eugile Hagen. And we know it's a delicate situation, it's a sensitive one and mainly because we haven't heard from the man himself. Well that changed over the weekend he went on the Rip through It podcast.
Speaker 12: I'm doing really good. Like obviously my feelings, I don't know. I feel a great I feel light fresh, and I'm ready to go.
Speaker 6: Are we going to see you play AFL again?
Speaker 12: And at the Bulldogs?
Speaker 6: And this year I want to play footy. I can't wait to play footy.
Speaker 12: I want to kick a and go in front of all these crowds. I've got a team around me and I'm going to play like I'm going to play this year. Like I'm playing this year. It's going to be a grouse. I'm not going anywhere at the moment. No, I'm definitely not thinking of it either because I'm obviously still contract to put the.
Speaker 1: Dog in Bulldogs and that's it the.
Speaker 12: Bulldogs until my contracts run out and then hopefully they offer me another one.
Speaker 11: But hard is it's at the Doggies.
Speaker 9: That's part of a forty five minute conversation that he had with Ree Smathison and Miss Robinson, and it does venture into other spaces mental health space.
Speaker 11: But we'll talk about the football.
Speaker 9: Side of it here on this panel tonight and the distractions that Jamario Goglehagen has been to the Bulldogs even tonight, Sam as we go to where there's a social media post about a car of Jamariy Goglhaggens that may or may not have been misplaced or taken. I raise that because even in the week that he's returned to the football club, there is yet again a distraction around him.
Speaker 11: I go back to the football side of it.
Speaker 9: Though he's going to be playing VFL football, I would think some stage in the next four to five weeks there is enough season left in twenty twenty five for his prodigious talent to do something in the VFL of a continued nature. Jimmy and Lordie for maybe two or three weeks that just may put it into the question mark do we take a risk on this man in the senior team in round twenty two, Round twenty three, Round twenty four, potentially, because if he does come back, he's coming back as the third tall Ford.
Speaker 5: It's still fanciful for me. Around fifteen, so he's fifteen weeks of work behind. And this is AFL football. This is not anywhere underneath where you could maybe get away with it. So I would need to see him not miss a beat for six weeks because that's how much training I believe you need. You can't walk onto an AFL ground in four weeks or five weeks. This is how much in your need, like, it's how difficult it is. He'll get other soft tissue injuries. He's playing catch up and still look like he doesn't look fit enough at all, you know in the vision that we've seen have been boxing and things like that. So I think I just I like that he had a smile on his face, and I like that he's got something to work towards. But I think this is all just a play for hopefully him getting to another club next year.
Speaker 2: I just wonder on that point, and the cynical view Jimmy would be, well, is it in the interest of both parties to get him playing late in the year, whether it's going to be, whether his career is going to be ultimately at the Western Bulldogs for the medium to long term or somewhere else.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I hope.
Speaker 8: I'm taking the positive aspect of it.
Speaker 7: Where you're going with that is it's a positive hopefully for the Western Bulldogs, but also a positive for Jamarrow.
Speaker 8: I like when people are smiling. I like when they're happy.
Speaker 7: Lody, you've spoken about this about how great football clubs are. I think it'd be fantastic he's back around the football club, back around good people who have got really positive influence. As far as you know, you're being healthy, you're being fit, you get the joy out of football again. And the big tagaway for me is I want to get back kicking goals.
Speaker 8: Like simplistic is that football is a great game.
Speaker 7: And glad we're talking about that with Jamarrow getting back involved in a football club and hopefully we're having the debate in four to five weeks. Well he's kicked four goals, three goals, six goals, whatever it may be in the VFL and we're having the debate of whether he should play or not.
Speaker 2: I think that's the hope for all of us, and to your point, we want to see that for six weeks we don't want to be here in another month, saying, oh, well, he still hasn't yet fully trained to a point where he can compete at a level.
Speaker 5: We're going to talk about Jake Stringer later and the work they've made him do to get to this point. And this is a guy who's been there the whole year, so I think that he's got a lot a lot of hard training to do to get to that point of even running out in the BFL level.
Speaker 2: And his teammates have been performing admirably or even more so without him, and Richards has turned himself into one of the premier midfielders of the competition. His comments postgame after a convincing win, we're intriguing.
Speaker 10: Some people are calling us flat track bullies at the moment, so we've got to do something about that. We've got to be a team above us, which is definitely the goal for the back end of the year. We've been dominant against sort of the weaker sides and it's great for our percentage, but you know, come final time, we're going to be playing the stronger sides if we're able to make it.
Speaker 6: So we've just got to take what we did tonight.
Speaker 10: I thought we were pretty good all over the ground.
Speaker 1: We can do that against the better sides.
Speaker 10: For longer, it's just been lacking maybe one quarter here, ten minutes there against the better sides that have been really costing us.
Speaker 9: It's really difficult to know what to read into what Ed Richards is referring to there and what we see on that screen given the death of performance against those teams below them on the ladder, because ultimately they've got a game plan that they want to stick to regardless of opponent. On someday soon maybe it may just click again one of the teams above them on the ladder, but it's a damaging scoreline they've now got against teams that are clearly inferior to them. And I do feel that with the acquisition now or the addition of Sam Darcy and Marcus Bonton Pelly together Sam, it's extraordy. They've only played three matches together this year, for wins in the seventy points zone on each occasion, and Darcy's only played thirty six. Bonton Pelly's about to play Game two fifty. But these guys together at this stage of Darcy in his fourth season and Bonton Pelly now that he's got the form and fitness back after missing the first five games of the year. I think those two names are the most compelling reason to believe as a Bulldog support.
Speaker 6: Now I'm with you.
Speaker 5: I think they're too good not to strike and beat some good sides in the run home. They've got Adelaide, Brisbane, the Giants and Freo four of their last nine, and the rest are gimmes games they should win in my opinion, including Sydney this weekend. Tralare is out for six weeks. Big a loss, not big for mine because I just think that they were throwing Liver and a few other players out of position. Jimmy, I now look at it when you've got BoNT and Pali, Richard's prature, Kennedy, Frasier and Sanders. There was a luxury that they had and he's always fighting against his body, so I think it might settle down the team of it.
Speaker 8: No, I agree with you. You know it brings Lippert back into the more.
Speaker 7: Center bounces where he's been playing a half pack actually and not being too bad. But you mentioned Richard's is better. O'donald's looking better and better week in week out.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 7: They'll take a few scalps on the way home. Above them on the ladder.
Speaker 5: Can they win the flag? Last week I said there was three, so that's why I'm trying to catch you out. But there's still eighth or nine. But I think them and the Giants are the only ones that are likely out of that top No.
Speaker 2: So just so you know, once you declare the top three, that's it. There's no adding it. Well no, then, okay, you really hope that opened the flag?
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're very good on their day.
Speaker 2: SiZ League started on Fretty Classified, and there is plenty more still to come, including the man that lord you just mentioned the package has delivered. Is Jake Stringer one of the keys to a Giants flag tilt? The fading Sons don't tell me that we seen this movie before? Want to be different under Dimmer two point zero and the Tiger trains stalled?
Speaker 1: Have the young Richmond Cubs run out of gas.
Speaker 2: It's all coming up right here on Footy Classified gets inside the attending arc Brown flies for it.
Speaker 13: Matt Hearndro trying to clear can't Strager Strager, It had to be him.
Speaker 14: It'll be bouncing ball, Stringers lurking going to ground with yourland string up the impossible land straight up. He gets you out of the eighty sticky situation.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Footy Classified.
Speaker 2: It does not seem no matter what colors that man is wearing, he still does the improbable and occasionally the impossible. Jimmy Bartel and yesterday not for the first time he did it as the sub.
Speaker 8: Is he the perfect suby at the moment?
Speaker 7: He is because he's not completely match fit to play the four hundred and twenty minutes plus, and he's a player who, when the foot is to the floor as maximum impact.
Speaker 8: So the ability to sort of coast.
Speaker 7: Through a game is not going to suit the way the Giants playing, not the way the game is being played, especially with the transition that they need. So if you bring him on as the sub or be the sub player, he can have maximum impact on a short and formed game.
Speaker 5: We all speact to people in this game, and now I spect to people as well, and they say that Adam Kingsley has just worked him over that hard, and Stringers felt he's been ready to play for three or four weeks and he says, n you're going to keep running and running till I think you're ready, and we don't need you in right now. We need you closer heading into September. So he's made him work for this game. He's made him the sub. He looked pretty fit, So let's hope he can keep a game.
Speaker 1: That's amazing coaching.
Speaker 2: If that's true, isn't it to make him to understand that he needs maybe a different way into the other players on the list?
Speaker 7: Yeah, stick to the plan and what's why did you get him to the Giants? And that is to win big games, big moments and hopefully the back end of the year and for the Giant's sake the finals, time to do exactly what he did in the last quarter there, kick, you two have a quarter where it can take a game.
Speaker 5: And keep the foot on his throat, like, don't let him get caught up and don't let him get carried away, and keep prodding him to get the best out of him, because some players do get comfortable, and he's been one that's fluctuated throughout his career.
Speaker 2: So the type of player that he is, that big bodied, impact mid forward sometimes gets compared to the likes of Jordan de Goey, who finds himself at the moment on the injury list again and trying to get into this Collingwood side before September.
Speaker 1: Do they need him?
Speaker 5: They do need it. I wouldn't say they need him because have been two games clear. It might be two and a half games clear without him. But the big thing is that on Jordan to Go he is say players like I do ned Long who have been sensational and a real important cob.
Speaker 6: So he's he ahead of him.
Speaker 5: He hasn't got the talent of Jordan to Go he but he can trust him. You can just trust that he's going to just keep working to trust his body for me.
Speaker 6: So there might be he might be a sub. I don't know. There's been playing Sullivan as a sub at the moment.
Speaker 7: The only problem is Jordan's got that many credits in the bank, particularly in big foum. Yeah, that's why I made big finals and big games. He delivers like he hits the scoreboard in big games when you go hang on Collingwood need a goal and he hammers. At home where he has lots of touches to the midfield, he can take the goal square.
Speaker 8: So it would take the risk, of course and on the risk.
Speaker 2: You made a great point on the Sunday Footy Show that given that they could be two games clear at the top, they could get around twenty two to twenty three and say, all right, well, if he breaks down, he breaks down, but we might as well risk him now and see if he can do.
Speaker 5: We'll go the others way and just give him the longest four weeks of training and not bring him back even later.
Speaker 6: Till closer to the first final.
Speaker 5: I know, I'm saying, like, even if he plays the last four or five games, so we're still nine games out, just give it as long as possible to his he's.
Speaker 11: In that batch of work right now.
Speaker 9: The losing team in that game, we just a high lot of there with Jake Stringer's work at the Gold Coast Sons. Damien Hardwick, their coach, spoke on Fox Footy tonight and just pondered and tried to refute what the narrative has always been after a bye for the Gold Coast Suns.
Speaker 15: It's a new Suns for us, Like I know that's been the narrative of the past, and I think last year we went four and six in the back end and we're a different side mate, if I'm being completely honest, we know we're a lot better than our side was placed last year, so we're really excited about what that presents and.
Speaker 6: The balls in our court.
Speaker 8: We've had a great start of the year.
Speaker 15: We bank effectively the prior to the buy the eight and four and we get a.
Speaker 6: Real run at it and you.
Speaker 11: Know it's in our own hands.
Speaker 9: You don't expect anything but definance to it from Damien Hardwick and just taking a look at what's happened in the two years of his coaching and the two before that.
Speaker 11: There is a theme and it's not going to.
Speaker 9: Go away until they rectify that theme and get it into the black on the win loss Ledger. But the interesting one about this year too, Sam, is that going into the bye they lost to Going into it Freemantle and Jewelong they're the good teams, and coming out of it they've lost to another good team GWS. But there's three losses in a row as part of this wider narrative.
Speaker 5: And they'll cleaned up by Brisbane as well, maybe two or three weeks before that. So they have lost us some high quality teams. The way they're losing isn't too bad Jim, But you want to see them go on like, yes, they should have won this game.
Speaker 6: On the weekend.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're emerging still as a side. I think we want them to do it quickly, but they're in uncharted territory for them, so they're still learning. So what happened yesterday. Of course, Row, Miller Anderson are all dominated. Anderson couldn't have played any better. Forty plus touches, score involvements, you name it. You even throw flanners in as well. But they're still learning how to close out games. Being in that winning situation. They can't have another game where the Giants go inside forward fifty thirteen times and score eight goals in the last quarter. And they fell into the trap of Giants game, which was transition, transition up and back, up and back. So they were plus thirty three from stoppage as well. But they just need to learn those late game situations. You know, ten fifteen minutes ago, what are we doing. We're taking some sting out of the clock, We're kicking long down the line, the big witzy who is dominant. So they're still going to EBB and flow, and I think sometimes we forget that because we want it to happen so quickly.
Speaker 6: How big a failure would be. Though they missed the eight.
Speaker 7: I'd be incredibly disappointing with the talent and the change. And I agree they are a different side, but they need to be a different side and still taste September action.
Speaker 1: They couldn't miss the eight.
Speaker 7: They well, one's got to miss if you're going to say it's the top nine, because there's two between Night and Tent, one's got to miss out.
Speaker 2: But they've played too fewer games than they shouldn't have a lot of They've got the if they are different like them are saying, they shouldn't be missing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like they could. They could go deep.
Speaker 2: I think they've got some real weapons with Damian Hardwick in their ear. I just think they need to get to finals. They could do some real damage.
Speaker 9: If once again then we're talking about it, they're not actually doing it.
Speaker 1: That's true, No, I hear it actually louder than well.
Speaker 11: I'm with you. I think they will get in, but I'm not convinced they'll get in.
Speaker 2: We're not convinced exactly how the Tigers are going. We know as a young side you can have ups and downs. The last couple of weeks have certainly been downs. First against Sydney and then again on Sunday against the Western Bulldogs, a similar performance and a similar message from the coach post game.
Speaker 16: Really disappointing middle part of the game and just wasn't up to a fur standard. Yeah, like I said, the middle two quarters were not up to standard, like the second quarter. I don't think we've played any worse for the year. I don't think it's fair about saying the half. The second quarter just wasn't just standard. At halftime, the scoreboard was so lopsided, but expected score was twenty points, but you could sense that it had ripped the heart out of our team. What's been good about the year is just they've surprised us with some wins and they've had some tight losses, even the Giants loss.
Speaker 5: Now they threw it away in the last quarter, but it was a fantastic performance. But the last two weeks, you wouldn't want to have the last nine weeks go like that where they've been non competitive. So there's losses and there's brutal losses, and they've been pretty bad the last two weeks. So you'd hope that they spiked back up, so up and down and you hope this week's a far better performance.
Speaker 8: And Lloyd it's on the leaders.
Speaker 7: So we've sung the praises of the leaders of the Tigers.
Speaker 8: And they've got to perform all the time.
Speaker 7: And Noah Bolter has won those leaders and his performance on Sam Darcy was pretty lacking.
Speaker 8: To be honest.
Speaker 7: If a guy's seven foot tall, probably giving him a thirty meter leg rope, he's not going to help you side.
Speaker 6: Is that do you feel? Is he's not a smart player, Like what do you think he's.
Speaker 7: I've seen him play players one on one. He's athletically gifted. I know there's this team defense, but there's one guy as an exception to the rule on the Ford line, the guy who's seven foot and can mark the footy. You've got at least do your best and put some body contact or be within twenty.
Speaker 6: Five meters of him. To be aggressive.
Speaker 5: I think you've got to be aggressive with Darcy's love talking about the fiery nature of Darcy. They didn't have a glove on him. Be aggressive, getting sight under his skin. Teams have got to pro probably try on some different things against him.
Speaker 2: It's always going to be a difficult you though for No Balta, given everything that happened, all the drama surrounding it, and now the interrupted nature of when he can and can't play like it was always going to be tough for him to come in and be the potential a grader that we thought he could be.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but I think he's a better player than that. I think he's got some serious athletic trades. He can mark the footy. He does actually have aggression, Yeah, but the starting points were way off on the weekend.
Speaker 11: Tom needs to go around again more on the Tigers. Do you like the cool I.
Speaker 7: Do, because obviously up forward they need some experience. I know he's not the Tom Lynch from the premiership years, but he's there for cover for the likes of John t Fall and any other.
Speaker 8: Emerging key forwards.
Speaker 7: Look, even if next year he doesn't play all the games, you need him to play some games because he's still going to attract the opposition's.
Speaker 8: Best key forward. So he's their cover for.
Speaker 7: The for the next generation coming through, for the for the young Tigers forwards.
Speaker 1: It's pretty loyal, isn't it.
Speaker 2: But he could have really gone just about anywhere after they fell off the cliff after the Flags, teams looking for a key forward, and yet he's still there.
Speaker 9: There were some many teams looking for a key forward, but I didn't, and I'm not sure whether you did either in the last trade period linking one specifically too, And I don't know whether the interest was there as much as.
Speaker 2: Probably could have gone to the Pies with the Demons sometime in the last two years, you would think, I think, but I haven't heard it.
Speaker 6: On a great cut.
Speaker 2: If he took less, yeah, he'd probably have to have to take less, but he'd had the lure of another flag potentially that would have been I just think it's amazing charlve loyalty that's decided.
Speaker 6: To stay there.
Speaker 5: Hundreds of players you could say the same thing about hundreds hundreds of them. Yeah, like no one. Not many leave their clubs. You look at him, they just keep signing, like Maddie row this play. So for all the talk that we have, not many ever leave their clubs.
Speaker 2: It's funny about Rowl. Still haven't seen the press release from the Suns.
Speaker 8: Have you.
Speaker 1: No, I haven't, but got reported that he's signed, but I haven't.
Speaker 11: Very senior and very good journalists reported that he has agreed to stay.
Speaker 2: Of course, Michael Gleason broke with the age, but just it's weird that it hasn't been announced by the club.
Speaker 1: I'm more suspicious on these things until they get announced.
Speaker 11: Are you saying he's not.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not saying that. I'm just saying, why hasn't Why haven't the club an?
Speaker 8: What are you saying?
Speaker 11: What do you ask you?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I just really want the club to announce it.
Speaker 2: I really would need us to get to a break because the water cooler is coming up next and I feel like there's a red and black thing to it.
Speaker 1: But coming up.
Speaker 2: After Footy Classified, it is Players. That man has had a great year. Rory Lobby is in, Luke Trainer is in and the man who just keeps dominating is like a fine worn with age. He gets better at Steel Sidebottom. Felix von Hoff is the host. It's Players and it's after footy Fascifating.
Speaker 1: Oh don't Loder welcome back to Frey Classified.
Speaker 2: It is stallin for the water cooler and as I mentioned before the break, it's got a red.
Speaker 1: And black theme to it.
Speaker 2: Lordo the Bombers is another one about to depart Tullamarene.
Speaker 5: Well, there's many who fear that big Draper Sam Draper may well move to another club in this offseason. And I look at the ruckman across the comp currently and you've got Cameron Stanley, Meek Jackson, Wits, Grundy Sweet goal Scene, Nan Curvis Flint. So there's ten clubs number one ruck players moved on and I'm thinking just the domino effects. So if the Coning goes to Saint Kilda, well, Carlton can't go in with Pitt Nap as their only ruckman, and obviously the guy who played a couple of weeks ago. You've got Sam Draper if he moves on, they can't go with Goldie who'll probably retire, Brian who's got an ACL and you've got Byzantini who's too young. So will I Brian look for a new home, could he come in if Marsha if the Coning comes in, will Marshall want to leave? So I'm just wondering the off season of ruckman I've talked about not many change clubs. You've got a real issue at AFL level where you've got one ruck that can play really and then the second one just has to sitting white. So that's why they change clubs so often. And if I'm Freeman, I know it gets talked about a lot. You don't have a ruckman in Darcy on a million dollars, but it's a number two ruckman, so he's the other one. You get someone in who's on four hundred or five hundred to be your number two ruckman.
Speaker 1: So you can't go with two ruckstars, not.
Speaker 5: At that big, bigger money. So I think that's all they've got to look at it.
Speaker 9: There's something intriguing and I'm ever going to throw in the world admirable in my eyes with what Freeman was doing because it is so different to what every other club is doing.
Speaker 11: According to what you were saying, they wanted to do it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and it didn't even last a season, did it before they abandoned the Brody Grundy plan with Mex Admirable.
Speaker 2: Daymo though if it's not working, like it seems that Jackson only plays his best when Darcy's not.
Speaker 1: There, it does.
Speaker 9: But if you go back two weeks where they both went against Tristan Cherry and Tristan Cherry, I still think more than hell it he's on in the game, but Freemantle won the game by a kick and it required both of them to negate him in ways other clubs able to do. And the other reason I'm still keen on seeing how it works, Sam is the lack of match fitness and injury problems that Sean.
Speaker 11: Darcy has had.
Speaker 9: We may just be about to see a Sean Darcy without those problems, and I think only then can we make a true judgment honor. This club is on a five win streak, Darcy is clearly part of their plans, and that man on screen was best on ground by a mile in the most recent game and has put together an amazing six weeks of football when it's all sit and done.
Speaker 7: And I'm with you, Daman, I just haven't seen enough of the Darcy Jackson combination. And you hear people at Freeman To talk about that they can see Jackson as being or we've been, the biggest midfielder as a pure midfielder running around the ground. He is excellent in the ruck, but I just need to see a bigger body at work. The two of them actually fit, playing and firing.
Speaker 5: I don't need to see anymore.
Speaker 2: That's got the fact that who do you move on that Darcy and keep Jackson even though Jackson's one that wants to go.
Speaker 7: Yes, are you saying this is purely like as a salary cap issue, seeking that.
Speaker 5: Much and just set I just don't think it works. I think that ruckman only want to be number one. They don't want to share it. I think or Ruckman even whenever Pitt Neck gets picked the car, I don't think it's worked. I think the coning Sherry is a big man might not have worked on the weekend, but you just have the number one ruckman, and because the second ruckman can't do much anywhere.
Speaker 1: I'm with you. It just seems strange that Jackson's the one who wants out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I suppose I'd hold him. I'd hold him to his contract. Such good football at the moment you don't let him go.
Speaker 2: Tell you who was also playing good football, and that's North Melbourne. And I nearly coughed up my weedies yesterday listening to you on the Sunday Footy Show.
Speaker 1: You've completely turned.
Speaker 11: On North Sam. I've turned over the course of eight.
Speaker 1: Weeks, he's jumped back on the bandwagon.
Speaker 6: Maybe passport not you've turned.
Speaker 9: You add two weeks to the six weeks of the passport and at night, And I say that because the eight matches they've played since the debarkle of Good Friday, three wins.
Speaker 11: Wonder all the draw coming against last year's premiers. And I look the fact.
Speaker 9: They've lost four matches too, but three of them have been by single digit losses. Amongst those eight asues that I refer to, there's now a body of work that suggested has changed. And maybe it took eight weeks for me to get mad around that. And I don't back away from that because we hadn't seen it and a sustained period under elat it should it be happening.
Speaker 5: I know you shouldn't just happen. But with what they've had with obviously Fino'sullivan.
Speaker 6: Ward earlier.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so they can only improve really with the prime real estate they had in those midfields.
Speaker 2: They've got some weaponry they have, they just need to start putting it into wins and losses.
Speaker 9: We've done that now for eight weeks in their defense, so let's see them sustain it for the remain of the year.
Speaker 11: There's another nine matches.
Speaker 5: Let's se how they go and Alistair Clarkson spoke after the game, Sam, and what I found really interesting was how they got it wrong in the last quarter.
Speaker 6: See he looked flat. He looked a flat coach with how.
Speaker 5: They finished the game in that they didn't go in for the kill and they tried to save the game.
Speaker 17: Look at the look at the tape and try and work out what happened in the last floor and the teams challenges like that. We probably are out the folders, really out the fault. Should better go back at them just as quick as well.
Speaker 6: They're coming come with us.
Speaker 17: We just probably held onto the ball a little bit, a little bit too much. But bottom mine is no one I really want to focus on that as much as what we did to put ourselves in a position.
Speaker 6: To win the game of footy in the first place.
Speaker 17: You're tough and hard, really really strong footy on the performance today. Let's go have a spell tonight, enjoy the enjoy the win, and then let's start chasing the Hawks for next week.
Speaker 11: Good stuff.
Speaker 2: Todd Vaidy right at the end, trying to I'll tell you what though, Jimmy, if I'm a North Melbourne fan watching that, I'm loving that more than just a rah Raths beach like that was okay, boys, we won, but I didn't love how we finished the game, and we want to work on it. That's a team that feels to me that wants to go way.
Speaker 1: Up the ladder.
Speaker 7: Great delivery, highlight what we did to get ourselves in that position. Still room for improvement, but let's still celebrate because winning an RFL football is tough and you should enjoy it.
Speaker 8: I really like that.
Speaker 1: See what we really like even more?
Speaker 2: That's the Sledgehammer. It's coming up next with Matthew Lloyd. Plus it's a good core bad called the Cook and a whole lot more.
Speaker 1: You're watching foot glass blind.
Speaker 5: The Cats had a rare poor night at GIMHBA Stadium on Friday Ninals. Two of their veterans who let them down in periods. So Tom Stewart, if you've got cam Rainer and you go to the contest, you must impact. He didn't, but Reiner will make your pay. So he's an absolute ripper. Cam Rainer, brilliant game he was on Friday Night, twenty nine disposed and a few goals have to do more.
Speaker 6: What about this from dangerfield?
Speaker 5: You have to make body contact with Starsovich bumpa bar him, not let him through, he doesn't, just lets him run past.
Speaker 6: I love that.
Speaker 5: They then used him to punish dangerfield inside forward fifty. They were flying Brisbane the other night. Mac Andrew, jeez, he's a ratic in his game.
Speaker 6: So what is that? So bend down, pick the ball up.
Speaker 5: We watched it on replay again, just an absolute brain fade. And then later on this should go ten rowsback, doesn't spoil that ball. Jakie Stringer picks it up and makes him pay. So just not consistent enough. Well couldn't No Ranathan be the All Australian captain this year and it's moments like this that he is flying, so he can do it offensively, but defensively that's one of the great chases. So he was miles away, wasn't entitled to have to do that, but he just does.
Speaker 6: It really, really well.
Speaker 5: So the Bombers they go backwards more than any other team in the competition.
Speaker 6: So here's Ben.
Speaker 5: Hobbs, look at what he's got on in the corridor, but they just retreat and go back and back. So Jimmy just touched on it earlier with the Blues. So they're in a position they don't need to be that should have been in the corridor, and then going forward, so then they find their way in trouble. He's a second or third game player. He then goes backwards, another player going backwards and then McGrath gets caught when they just did not need to be in that position. Well, speaking of Carlton, it's all about your skill and your fundamentals. Fumble. They fumbled and fumbled and full credit to north dockety shocking moment. All these led to goals. And then this last one here from Hewart, just absolute panic fumble. That was three in a row from Carlton which coughed goals. And it's often the fundamentals with hurt you in a game. I love Dan Dame Rampy, He's had to do so much for his club and his team over the years. Undersize so turnover his ability to react so quickly and spoil, which a lot of players would just sag off and go he's not my man. And then it turned in the Swans of Old off the back of a big spoil, assertive defense. Grundy good give it to the runners. Often he doesn't do that over the top to Brandon Campbell. So the Swans were back and I hope it can continue for them in the run to finals.
Speaker 1: And we hope the sledgehammick can continue. That is amazing vision.
Speaker 2: You always you always finds stuff that others don't like. That rampy stuff amazing. And if you're able to sledge hammer danger field in game three fifty and get away.
Speaker 7: With well, I could watch that Noah Anderson clip Tom and Tyle and that was magnificent.
Speaker 1: Hicar, We're in that beautiful Gunsey.
Speaker 6: That was great.
Speaker 1: Hey, Time for the tab at top three. Dame O did kick things off, Damian your prediction, Yeah for.
Speaker 9: This Carlton in the Porta lad game Sam with Jacob Wiedering a bit banged up.
Speaker 11: I'm going for Mitch.
Speaker 9: Georgiardi, who I love watching play footy kicking fine.
Speaker 1: Why stay by Jimmy.
Speaker 8: I am going There will be a hug at the end of the game.
Speaker 7: Ken Hinckley is a big hugger, Michael Voss who spent a lot of time under Ken Hinckley. Of course, it'll be two coaches who'll be under the pup and I think they'll embrace.
Speaker 11: He'll be consoling predicting a hug. Yeah, yeah, who's going to make the consult.
Speaker 9: I love the coach on the bench who's winning the game, Carlton and.
Speaker 5: Lord, I've gone Rosie Bog just because he's got what Carlton don't have, so the speed, the dynamic nature.
Speaker 6: I think he'll be too good in Portal.
Speaker 2: Within that is our top three round sixteen. Of course, it kicks off Thursday. For that game that Jimmy Laudo were talking about. It is Adelaide Oval. It's Ken and port taking on Vossi and the Bluese. More fully classified after the break, we're.
Speaker 1: Going to futty classify. Jimmy Bartell has the new boy.
Speaker 2: Jimmy the arc sponsor clearly hasn't been getting enough love lately.
Speaker 1: Good call or bad.
Speaker 8: Call, Well, let's have a look at the footage hand before I.
Speaker 7: Make my mind, but I think it might be onto something. Of course, long kicking here, the go umpire does a fantastic job, gets into a great position. But then what are we doing with a score review? Maybe the sponsorship we just haven't seen enough of it.
Speaker 8: There we go very cical from you, very If you're.
Speaker 7: Going to pay for a sponsorship, you don't pay for it not to be seen.
Speaker 9: Sam, this is to you. You would want Jared Heally with you in the trenches. Good cool, bad call.
Speaker 2: I think that's a really nasty que because I think it's sarcastic. I think you're referring to this.
Speaker 14: You see they're eighty four as Bedford tries to flick it on ambitious.
Speaker 1: That's rubbish.
Speaker 6: That was rubbish he did said, got a handle on that.
Speaker 1: Come on, yeah, I'm with you hundred percent. Let's have a look at Bedford. Let's have a look.
Speaker 2: I would always want to be in the trenches with Jared. I could count on one hand the number of times he's wrong.
Speaker 5: And that what you want, Hey fox Foot, he needs be more subtle. Good call, bad cop.
Speaker 9: Now it's a bad call, but take a listen to actually know this was this division of the mac the ground.
Speaker 11: When they are at the ground this year in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 9: They need to let the viewers and beteam know so you can sometimes missit a bit of actions.
Speaker 11: Put the cameras on the book out.
Speaker 8: You're obsessed with hey Lloyd. The Suns must think their supporters have more dollars than cents.
Speaker 6: Good call, but good call.
Speaker 5: They were in pink about five or six weeks ago, and now they're in what I think is the West Coast Eagles colors. So find someone else's colors, not the West Coast Eagles.
Speaker 8: I like the glava.
Speaker 6: I didn't mind the glava either.
Speaker 5: I know they couldn't use it against the Giants, but I bad family members who aren't riding the football Satya.
Speaker 6: The Eagles are performing well this week.
Speaker 1: You are you're a modern man in almost every sense of the word.
Speaker 8: Yellows.
Speaker 1: You look ten years younger than you actually are, so much respect. You're completely at dark ages about it. Well, I get with the programs.
Speaker 5: I reckon that how are they go wearing black and white drinking coling of a cop.
Speaker 2: That I think they'd go pretty well wearing whatever color because the color that they wear does not matter.
Speaker 1: That's me, okay. Joel Lomardi Daimo needs to spend an hour with our man the SLEDG channel with a bad call.
Speaker 9: It's probably the best call of the offerings tonight because the zero goals six behind that he kicked and two others that didn't go near the goals at least made for a dreadful Nighty. He unfortunately couldn't even get the ball to spin properly on occasions. And there's no one better than the man to your left nine hundred and twenty six girls himself to fix.
Speaker 11: Up those problems.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Sam. I feel like this is a half folly for you. A SuperStar's free generosity only goes so far.
Speaker 8: Good call, bad call, And.
Speaker 2: I'm going to hit this one through the covers because this is a good call from you. And we're referring once again to our man. So this is this is after the game carton North Melboury.
Speaker 1: He's look at him. Look, I can take photo. H I'll take another one. Life too is in fight.
Speaker 2: Actually, I've had enough high phones. This might want to picture Knight. Just give your high five. I'll start running so loudo. You can get in one or two. But after that he starts charging and he runs.
Speaker 5: I can't argue with that. Jimmy, Jerrymy McGovern will be a walk up Hall of Famer.
Speaker 6: Good callback Ah.
Speaker 7: This is a good call from you, lloydy. But I am a biscall. I love the way Jerry McGovern has played his football with him all the best in Newstury time at five time all Australian Premiership player, one of this era's best key defenders of course, best and farish you name it.
Speaker 6: So yeah, good call from me, a lotto.
Speaker 11: To finish it off tonight.
Speaker 9: Daisy Thomas is using his mates as a smoke screen to get away.
Speaker 5: Is a good call by you. You know Daisy better than on this panel. Is a great man and I reckon this was his own gag, but tried to pass it off as one of his mates.
Speaker 15: I did get a message at halftime from one of my Tiger's mates who obviously wasn't loving the work of Mail Volta.
Speaker 5: Just have skins they could bring that court in imposed Curfield a little bit full.
Speaker 6: Well, that is.
Speaker 5: Harsh, he said, he can't throw it off any money of your mates.
Speaker 6: That we've just got to own that.
Speaker 2: Daisy, Wow, I can't think days we'll have a right of reply the clothing cook on the other side of the pretty.
Speaker 5: Classifot they say in television should never work with animals and kids, and that's where my cook centers around. Tonight, we'll go back to the nineteen seventy seven Grand Final. Peter Landy he wasn't happy with the kids in front of.
Speaker 13: Him North Melbourne, a little one there, and which leads us into what went on the Channel seven show yesterday where Trent Kotchen wasn't happy with his young fellow.
Speaker 8: The run with guns save you from potentially getting eating.
Speaker 5: Out of the way by trends. So kids and animals, Damien should not work.
Speaker 9: Two words pot Kettle on ambushing your own CosIng cooks doing this and you when your kids should have got the treatment that Peter Andy and Cootch and give those Look at Grand Smith here at the Wivestown Ian Rickman, the Great and Rickman. You're in the background. Marcus O'Connor here you're in the background again, and the Great Barry round you are ambushing their segments.
Speaker 11: You deserve that treatment that Peter Landy gave.
Speaker 6: Always wanted to be on television.
Speaker 11: It was nuffy.
Speaker 1: I can't believe that.
Speaker 6: I loved it.
Speaker 5: My greatest days at Point Jelly Brand, Williamstown watching the footy and then trying to get hang time at the end of it.
Speaker 1: So you've always been an attention to ego.
Speaker 8: Yeah probably, yeah, full forward and fall forward.
Speaker 5: It comes with the territory thirty seconds, throw the grass up, meet me.
Speaker 2: We've just got into the world footy. Close to fight tomorrow night, Tom Morris James heard Rory Sloan and Caltoomey again.
Speaker 1: That's at nine o'clock.
Speaker 2: But get set for the brand new show players. It starts now.
Speaker 11: We'll see