S1: From the newsrooms of the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age. This is the morning edition. I'm Samantha Salinger Morris. It's Tuesday, March 11th. Tropical Cyclone Alfred may have been downgraded to an Ex-cyclone, but homes across New South Wales and Queensland still remain at risk of major flooding. And now thoughts are turning to what the cost will be, just how many people were insured against this destruction, and how many will be able to claim back money in what's now being called an insurance catastrophe. Today, business journalist Soumya Ilanbey on what it will take for insurance premiums to come down after steady rises over the last couple of years, especially as global warming increases the frequency and cost of climate disasters. So Soumya, we are recording this on Monday morning and the impact from what is now an ex-tropical cyclone. We know it's far from over, but already there's a huge question mark on insurance. So can you tell us, do we have any sense of how big the damage bill might be and whether people are actually going to be covered for this?
S2: It's obviously still really too early to tell. Cyclone hit landfall only Saturday morning, and we're still going to see the impact of whether it's the wind damages or the flooding as well. Before Cyclone Alfred was effectively downgraded, ratings agency S&P global had estimated the insurance cost to be about $2 billion. It's worth, I guess, also putting that figure into a bit of context as well. The Insurance Council of Australia said the last cyclone that hit Australia in 2023 cost about $410 million, and there were about 10,500 claims. The 2022 floods, which was one of the costliest natural disasters in Australia's history, cost $6.4 billion, and there are about 245,000 claims across the east coast of Australia. Of course, not everyone will have damage to their homes and the extent of the damage will be different. But there are about 4.5 million people in the path of the cyclone and almost 2 million homes as well. So I think we can sort of gauge how big this natural disaster is on Sunday. So these figures are a little bit old now, but the latest is the insurers had received almost 3000 claims so far. I spoke to the NRMA and they said most of the claims were for trees falling on homes. So wind damage caused because of that and that 80% of those claims were from Queensland. There's a real possibility that homes that were flooded and affected in 2022 are also being affected by Cyclone Alfred, so it means that some homes are probably being repaired or rebuilt, you know, twice or three times in the last couple of years alone.
S3: It's got that unwanted reputation as perhaps the flood capital of Australia.
S4: Here it comes again. It's only three years since the last one, and we're facing it all again.
S5: And it's just a heartbreak to see people having a go to get back here and and to face this so soon.
S2: So the community of Lismore, just a couple of weeks ago, held a three year anniversary commemorating what happened during 2022. And I think also celebrating their resilience as well. And for that community to be hit so soon after that natural disaster is probably quite traumatising. And consumer advocates are asking the insurance industry to keep that in mind when they're dealing with these communities.
S1: Especially since we know that the Prime minister actually appeared on television just on Monday morning. And he said that with regards to those people who suffered damage in 2022 with those floods that some of those people, quote, waited years for, payouts.
S6: Will certainly hold the insurance companies to account. This is a time where they need to do a bit of repair of their relationships with the Australian public by doing the right thing and making payments immediately for people who are eligible. That's what people expect.
S2: I've spoken to quite a number of people, not just in New South Wales and Queensland, but in other flood affected areas, and they were still waiting for their homes to be rebuilt. Years later, they were still waiting for their claims to be processed years later.
S1: And of course, all of this is happening against a backdrop of insurance premiums that have really been sort of rising rapidly. So can you just give us a brief rundown about what's been happening there?
S2: Yeah. So anyone who has any form of insurance knows that insurance costs have been rising, not just by a little bit, but by a lot. You know, people have spoken about the insurance rising 100% in two years or quadrupling over the past couple of years. And I think we know inflation has been a huge issue, of course, since Covid, and insurance has been the key driver of that inflation, mainly because of supply chain and labor costs and the 22 floods that we saw. And insurance inflation has also been at its highest since the early 2000. It's been moderating since. But just because inflation has been moderating doesn't mean the price is going backward. Prices and premiums are still rising, but they're rising a little bit more slowly than they were a year ago. And I think the industry was expecting prices to moderate even further this year. But that could now be affected because of Cyclone Alfred.
S1: Okay. So why why have our premiums actually climbed so much?
S2: So there's a couple of different factors to that. You know one is the claims cost. So what insurers anticipate the cost of claims will be over the next year. It's, of course, price inflation, the cost of rebuilding homes, the cost of capital also plays into it as well. So insurers, they must hold reserves to cover future claims. Reinsurance costs can impact the price of premiums, and we know that global reinsurance premiums have been rising quite significantly as well. And as climate change increases the severity and the frequency of natural disasters, it means that more homes are being impacted by climate change. It means that they're being impacted in a far more severe way. So the cost of rebuilding and repairing those homes is much more costly than it otherwise would have been.
S1: And so given that climate change is obviously not going away, and scientists are saying, you know, quite widely that it's only going to get worse if we don't stem pollution, then does there just come a point when homes are just uninsurable in particular areas in Australia?
S2: Yeah, that's a really good question. And it goes to the heart of the issue at the moment. We obviously have a housing supply issue, so we need to increase housing supply. But we also need to do it in a way that recognises high risk zones and how we build homes fit for these zones. For example, there are strict building codes for fire zones, but those same levels of restrictions don't apply for flood zone areas. And a report from the actuaries estimate just a couple of years ago had estimated that 1 in 8 households were facing home insurance affordability stress, and that report says the largest number of people in short stress are in south west Queensland, the Northern Rivers region in New South Wales and, you know, regional Western Australia and the NT. And, you know, some of these areas have been badly affected over the last couple of years because of climate change.
S1: We'll be right back. And so Soumya, there was a parliamentary inquiry into the 2022 floods. So can you just briefly talk us through that?
S2: Yeah. So there were 86 recommendations in total. And I think one of the most critical ones that insurers have been calling for a very long time, and particularly as climate change exacerbates the severity and frequency of natural disasters, is around local planning laws. The inquiry had recommended changes to planning policy to stop inappropriate development. Um, as well as I guess one of the interesting things is around federal government intervention to discourage banks from lending to buyers and even developers in really highly flood prone areas. More than 200,000 homes had a 2 to 5% chance of flooding every year, and that's an above average number for a developed economy. There are also recommendations calling for insurers to provide fully paid temporary accommodation until the claim has been closed, cash settlements being done more transparently and ethically because we heard from quite a number of victims during that inquiry that they were being lowballed by their insurers to accept inadequate cash settlements, and I think that will be a significant area of concern and scrutiny for advocates for the Cyclone Alfred cleanup.
S7: And so, I guess.
S1: What is the possible answer here? Like do insurers need to be brought into line in some way? Because we certainly know that Opposition Leader Peter Dutton has been speaking out about this.
S2: Yeah. And I think it's easy for, you know, politicians to get up and say, well, this industry needs to be brought into line. And if they don't do it on their own bat, we will force them to. As you mentioned, Peter Dutton threatened them with forced divestiture. And then David Littleproud said that wasn't coalition policy. And there was a bit of conjecture around whether it is or whether it isn't. We also don't know what a forced breakup would look like and how they would drive down premiums. But that parliamentary inquiry made comprehensive recommendations which have not been fully implemented. So that's a really good place to start. One of the things, though, that could help put a lid on rising premiums is the federal government's $10 billion cyclone reinsurance pool, and what that means is that insurers are protected by the Commonwealth balance sheet for damage that occurs when a weather system is officially classified as a cyclone in 48 hours from the time it is downgraded by the Bureau of Meteorology, and we as a country need to have a better discussion around improving building codes. And I think consumer groups have also been calling for legislated standards for insurers as well, to make sure that they're they're always acting in the best interest of consumers. And I spoke to the Consumer Action Law Centre last year for a different story related to insurance. And one of the things that they called out was the insurance industry's quote unquote, cultural problem, saying insurers were taking too long to process claims, making the whole process incredibly stressful for vulnerable people.
S1: And just finally, Samir, where do you expect the focus to turn now in the wake of Ex-tropical Cyclone Alfred?
S2: I think there will be a lot of scrutiny on the industry to ensure that they are acting openly, fairly honestly, that they are dealing with consumers and victims in a sensitive manner. We obviously have a federal election coming up, and Prime Minister Anthony Albanese made some comments highly critical of the industry this morning as well. The consumer advocacy bodies will be watching really closely at the same mistakes and the same poor handling of consumers from 22 isn't repeated this year, and insurers over the past week have consistently said that they've learned the lessons of the 22 floods, that they are better prepared for Cyclone Alfred than they were for the floods a couple of years ago, and that they know what to do.
S1: Well, thank you so much Soumya for your time.
S2: Thank you for having me.
S1: Today's episode of The Morning Edition was produced by Tammy Mills, with technical assistance by Josh towers. Tom McKendrick is our head of audio. The Morning Edition is a production of The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald. To support our journalism, subscribe to us by visiting The Age or smh.com.au. Forward slash, subscribe and sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter to receive a comprehensive summary of the day's most important news, analysis and insights in your inbox every day. Links are in the show. Notes. I'm Samantha Selinger. Morris. This is the morning edition. Thanks for listening.