Speaker 1: The report says that over twenty percent of students don't finish a year at twelve. Does that matter?
Speaker 2: Yes and no.
Speaker 3: It's a short answer is no, it doesn't matter as long as people young people leave school with options, and not all people do, so I think it's a good one to keep on top of just to understand what our education system is doing in regards to preparing young people for the world.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, as long as they have options, it's okay. But that's not always the case.
Speaker 1: Because for me, it seemed that when I was at school up to year ten was essentially just to keep you in school. It was only the kids who actually wanted to learn anything that went on to eleven and twelve. Do you think that's the case.
Speaker 2: Let's break it down a little bit.
Speaker 3: Over the last fifteen years, broadly, the number of people leaving school before year twelve has increased, So that's it's studied a little bit over the last couple of years, but.
Speaker 2: It has increased as well.
Speaker 3: And I think what's happened since you're at school and even in some respects since I was at school, they were like, look, I think there's twelve years worth of learning that everyone should have no matter what. But then we know there's exceptions and things like that. So I think the interesting parts is that's been declining. We want to make sure that people are leaving school with options. There's probably a baseline level we want people to leave with, whether they're going onto university or a trade or anything else. We're just trying to strike the right balance there and keep on top of that.
Speaker 1: I feel that once you got into high school there should have been some direction as to what to do after you leave school, whereas you were still learning things, but there was no real life experience. Do you think that that's changed.
Speaker 3: A bit a bit to a degree. I know many schools now and there's up to twenty thirty percent of students in year eleven and twelve that actually do and finish school with a vocational certificate. So they're working in workplaces, they're working in conjunction with a school and a registered training organization to really get that practical experience, and often they're starting that from year ten, year eleven, and sometimes they're leaving through that process when the apprenticeship or the training takes over and a job comes out of that.
Speaker 2: So I think that's increased.
Speaker 3: That's increased in my experience, that kind of practical connection to industry. Is it where we need it to be to enable people to finish school with a decent amount of experience in what they need. I'm not quite so sure.
Speaker 1: Because that seemed to be Again, that seemed to be the issue. Do you find that a lot of people don't remember the things that they learned at high school?
Speaker 3: Short answer is yes, for sure. There's many things so, and I hug back in mind. I've got both in a professional capacity but also in a personal capacity with children there in the end of their schooling. Myself, some of that I look at and going, when do we ever need to know that? But what I think schools have done different. And then this is another observation as a parent, if anything else, is the breadth and diversity of subjects offered to young people these days is way more than when I was younger. So they're learning about economics, psychology, law, practical things as well in school. So I think that stuff's going to be more relevant when it was a cookie cutter, one size fits all. Absolutely. I think we're learning things that we never put to use down the track as well. So young people have the up chance to stream and follow their interests a little bit more and hopefully that reduces things that they're learning that they never use again.
Speaker 1: And is that leading up to year ten not necessarily year eleven or twelve.
Speaker 3: Well, each school does it a little bit differently. I think there is. I think it's a little bit more homogenized and is similar to probably what we experienced at the moment at that age. Yes, I think in year eleven and twelve it's a little bit more diverse. But some schools want young people to go through every subject because it opens them up to things that they may not have even chosen, but it gives them an interest as well, So schools approach that differently. But yeah, I think they are a little bit more standard to what we probably saw when we're at school.
Speaker 1: And don't get me wrong, I think that schools are very important and it's very important for you to learn all kinds of things, if nothing else, just to get you into that mindset. But it seemed to me that it wasn't until the end or the middle of year ten, when back in those days it was the cees which we to provide you with ideas of where you could go next via a handbook. So basically they gave you a handbook and said these are careers you could follow if you want to, But there was no real direction from any of the teachers or from the education department apart from that.
Speaker 3: Has that changed, probably not as quickly as we'd hope it to do. There's definitely been some changes in that area. But I think up until year ten, and look, there's different schools of thoughts there, like do you need a young person in year seven, year eight, year nine thinking at career at that stage or is it a little bit of a step back for them to kind of just enjoy that process to learn As what you've said there, what year do you start to introduce the concept of a career. In my experience, in the middle of year ten it comes out of rush.
Speaker 2: You kind of.
Speaker 3: Feel like, can your whole career and life decision in the middle of the year ten using your year eleven and twelve subjects or an apprenticeship If that's the past way you go down, I think they could stage it in secretce it in a little bit more, you know, a little bit more slow burned throughout that because it does seem to I'm at a rush, but I think it's improved slightly.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think there's ways to go there.
Speaker 1: So by year nine, from my memory, you would have been fourteen years of age, and then by year ten you would have been fifteen years of age.
Speaker 2: But I got that right, Yep, that sounds right.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I think that by year nine you should be trying to get the idea in kids' heads what they'd like to do next. Do you think that's too soon?
Speaker 3: No, I don't think it is like a fourteen year old is starting to think about that naturally anyway, So schools could meet that person there, that young person there. I don't know many four en year olds that haven't started to think about that. That their parents or their uncles and arniees or whatever the case may be, but haven't started asking a fourteen year old in a more material sense what that career pathway should be for them. So I think that's an entirely appropriate age to do it. I think the busyness of school years mean that we kind of stick with some of the things that we've already done in that space. I'm not sure we're fully meeting a fourteen year old's needs in that area. Yeah, but I think it is improving slightly, but maybe not at the pace we need.
Speaker 1: And the other thing that I think that you know, they could bring in if they haven't brought in now. As I said, it was fifty years ago since I was at school, but there was no practical life advice. How to apply for a credit card, how to dress for an interview, how to get a home loan, how to buy a car, things like that that you suddenly find yourself in the real world having no knowledge about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're very important things.
Speaker 3: You don't want a seventeen to eight in year old finishing year twelve and as an adult essentially, and you know, signing a mobile phone contract, well that's it. Yeah, taking on other kinds of things as well. So I completely agreed to you, And to be honest, I don't see too much of that. I think that there's a few better programs, and I think non school organizations have incursions and things like that where they do try and teach and train some of those things, but that depends on the school itself. I haven't seen that come through a curriculum in any material sense. I think it depends on the school and what kind of organizations they work in partner with, depending on you know, it depends on how they do that as to what level they get of that education while still at school,