Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for listening. And I'm Simon Beaumont and here until one o'clock today with Perth Today. Thanks to Milsey and Carl, Alana, Tracy and Rob the team and Seb the team over there at Brecky. Thanks all. I know. They were doing a talkback topic just before the news the worst habits of passengers in cars. And I don't think they read this one because said Ripper, my husband leans over and adjust the cruise control when he thinks I'm driving too slow. That is an a that's from Louise. That's a beauty, Louise. Thank you for listening in Stay listening, Louise, stay listening right through to one o'clock if you can, and be part of the show today. If you can today, we'll have a yes no question for you today and it's about fuel Watch. That'll come to you in just a second. We'll try and clear that up. What happens from now with the wastewater cleanup in the southern suburbs, suburbs like Spearwood, Beaconsfield through Freo, What happens there? Who pays for all of that? We are moving towards a wastewater system that where by twenty thirty thirty percent a third of our wastewater should be recycled and reused. And I would suggest we're a little way off that at the moment, given what we've seen down south at the moment. So Olie spoke about this on Monday on this show and it doesn't seem to be getting any better at the moment. So we're in clean up mode. And what does that mean for residents in terms of their insurances? What does it mean for those ovals? Do they need to be dug up? What does it mean for the councils down there that are affected, so Coburn, Melville and Frio, what does it mean for them? A number of charity he's about thirty charities across Australia have been short changed by a philanthropic travel TV show, including four charities here in wa. We'll speak to one of those charities affected at nine point thirty. So this bloke, Troy Gray, who runs this TV show has worked for our network. He's worked for nine, he's worked for seven as well, but he's been running this philanthropic travel show for a few years now. Legedly allegedly it's important word to use. Have been short changed across Wa, So we'll talk about that in just a moment on the program. And thanks to my Bumbrii correspondent Hendo, Thank you. Hendo's let me know sadly that Marley the albino Bumbrie Dingo has died over the weekend. So Marley. That's really sad, isn't it. Marley is a part of the furniture down there, used to live at the local Bumbrey Marine Rescue compound, had a number of dens through the Bumbrey Harbor, moved sort of born in the Pilbra and moved to the boatyard in around about twenty thirteen. So has passed away over the weekend, So we sadly missed the dingo dingo. Marley was much loved by the guys at the fremantle, at the Bumbury Rescue and by a lot of the local residents. So it was a domesticated dingo and albino one. You may have seen some photos. I think we've talked about it on the program a few times, but did die on Sunday. Marley the Bumbury Dingo is no longer with us, so we'll try and have a chat to the marine rescue guys a little bit later on in the program. Want to try and clear something up straight away today if we can, right, let's clear this up once and for all. Yes or no? Do you use fuel Watch? Do you use fuel watch? So prices go up big time at this time of the week, Tuesday, so after Tuesday, so it's Wednesday, the day that we were going to the high part of the seven day of fuel cycle. Do you use fuel Watch? Yes or no? Do you actively look for cheap petrol or do you just fill up when you run out? Do you use fuel Watch? Yes or no? And why I'd love to hear from you today. Now, Perth is the only Australian city that has seven day fuel cycles. We're the only one. Sydney and Melbourne have sort of six to eight week fuel cycles. I think Adelaide has two week fuel cycles. But we're the only crew that have a seven day fuel cycle. And it's a continual and constant source of wonder, amusement and outright discussed that this happens. How seven day fuel cycles doesn't contravene a consumer law is beyond me and most righteous thinking people. It's unbelievable. How does it happen. So I'd be really keen to talk to someone in our audience today who has previously or currently works in the petrol station industry. Have you worked at a servo? How does it work? How does it work? Are these are they small businesses? Are they franchises? So on Monday night or on Monday Day, there's the ampole station in Leedable talk to the ampole in Cannington on Monday nights to plan their prices for Tuesday. Does the manager or owner of BP Belcata talk to BP Edgewater and they agree on prices? Because they shouldn't be allowed to. There will be people in the audience who know one double three, eight to eighty two. How does it work? It's a joke, really, isn't it. Now? Seven day cycles do work for some people because it takes about a week to use a full tank of petrol. Your fifty sixty seventy leaders, whatever it is, Do you use fuel watch? Yes or no? One double three is the phone number, the SMS number zero four, eight seven, triple nine eight eighty two. Now most of the most of the service station chains have an app, have an application you can use in your phone. So probably the best one is the seven eleven app because you can lock in a fuel price. You can lock a fuel price in and then pay for that next time you go in. Ampoule has an app, Caltechs has an app. VP have an app, but they are mostly rewards programs and enable to pre order food and pay for your fuel while you're sitting in your car. I'd love to hear from you today. Do you use fuel Watch? No, they are toothless. Tigers is one of our listiness grahams says yes, at least you know your cheapest price for the week. Thank you, Graham. Mike says yes. Steve says no, I fill up at five point thirty every Wednesday morning at my local cow text. It cost me one hundred and forty nine ninety this morning, says Steve. So you're outside of the cycle. Steve, maybe just that by twenty four hours mate. Gary says no, I don't use you Watch. Always go to the same garage in Perth and Scott says yes, definitely. The savings can be huge. It's a joke. No one buys fuel on a Wednesday. So love to hear from you today. Yes, I agree, it's tooth It's a tooth completely toothless tiger. But it's not designed to do that. It's just it just watches the fuel for us. Love to hear from you today that yes, do you use fuel watch? Yes? Are to the nose of six? Hello, Shane?
Speaker 2: Hey, how are you boy?
Speaker 1: Good? Thank you?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I used to work in the fuel industry for a couple of years, does so independent stores. So what it's done is that every day there's a gate price for fuel, basically the commodity. And you know at the time, so many years I worked forward a five.
Speaker 1: Ten the leader to the gate Okay, so that who who publishes the gate price? Shane?
Speaker 4: The fuel industry like VP, you know where the refinery?
Speaker 1: Yep, So I wonder who does that now now now that we don't have refiners, so that that comes out and then you you made an estimation for your independent stores yeh, to go five cents up on that?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the owner's party was five cents on whatever the price was.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I gather the major corporations, you know, they make people in five day ensis or whatever they get. And you'll notice that Independence film and take a day after the day after Tuesday has changed their prices, so they know they'll know it's going up, but they're always a day behind the major corporations.
Speaker 3: For some reason.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, all right.
Speaker 4: The smaller Independence will be cheap one Tuesday and still cheap on Wednesday, but Thursday they go up, whereas the big ones go up Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, Shane. So did you say you own five Independence or you're part of a consortium.
Speaker 4: Saying I was the operations manager for.
Speaker 1: Yeah? All right, yeah, okay, cheers Shane, Thank you mate. So the Independence of Vibe Burke, you see them around the place, So it's the other part of it. Do you do you use fuel watch? Yes or no? And do you how do you you know? How do you do you actively shop around for cheaper fuel? So that that's one. So that's an older version of what used to happen at the Independence. They wait till the gate price is published and I don't know who publishes that now because there's no VP refinery and then they chuck five cents on that. So you know, I'd love to hear from you. Are they are they small businesses? So you know, can you own more than one petrol station? Are they a franchise? So if you own VP Belcata, the one near me. Are you you know? Are you talking to other BP owners? A? Mark?
Speaker 6: Okay, Bie, just chip it in right now. I don't use fuel watch though. Last year when I signed up with and RMA Insurance, I did because they had a still goal with always get nine cents of both cents far and May and then four cents of more worst come. But it's still worked out cheaper than going to that's around the corner from the work, so it worked out more expensive then yeah, you random work. So yeah, I don't follow with your watch anymore. I've got family to take.
Speaker 7: And a half a week.
Speaker 6: Sometimes three of them pushing it. But yeah, it's just it's becoming a mood point. Like if I need to go out of my way and say twenty thirty cents later on diesel, then I'm not making a baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, thanks mate, Thank you Mark, thanks for calling him. Do you use fuel Watch? Yes or no? The nose are thirteen, The yeses are just ticking over and Sean doing the counting. The yeses are nine. Thanks and thank you Sean.
Speaker 3: Good a.
Speaker 8: Jim, Hello, Hello Jim?
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 8: Yeah, good buddy, how are you going well?
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 9: Okay, So fuel watch didn't indicate last week on Thursday at Vibe in Nerabut there was free fuel between eleven and well you could get one hundred dollars worth of free fuel up to one hundred dollars. My wife got one hundred dollars worth of premium diesel in that time. But fuel watched and indicate that did.
Speaker 1: They one hundred bucks worth of free fuel from Vibe in Nearerbuck?
Speaker 9: Yeah, so on Thursday they gave it away between eleven and twelve. If you was in the line, you got free fuel watch one hundred dollars per car.
Speaker 1: How we How good is that?
Speaker 9: So? So how it comes fuel watching any indicate that journey one?
Speaker 1: I don't know, mate, and I I don't know. That's a great question, thanks, Jim. So I mean the other they are small businesses. So the VP near me and Belcadi is a great shop. I know the staff in their same staff and make great food. They feed half the trades of the Northern suburbs every morning between you know, five and eight o'clock, every trade goes there. It's a real little community, you know. They make coffee. Tabn next door's got to drive through coffee place which is really busy as well. And then further up the road, I think it's a caltechs or might be an Ampole's got the bar and met there and we've got a a you know, you can wash your car there as well. So they are you know, there are little community hubs as well, aren't they little little precincts? One Nuble three eight Dady two Do you use fuel watch? The yes are twenty one, the nose of nineteen. The yes is taking picking up some steam there. We'll talk to Steve more in just a moment from the motor Trader's crew. Does how does it happen? I mean, yes, you have you work around it, but how does it happen that we have seven day fuel cycles in Perth? There's you know there's no fuel cycling in most of regional w A. But did we how does it happen? Developing story? Carl mention this at the end of the Breakfast show. Today Quantas is closing the low cost carrier Jetstar Asia by the inn July. Is that you have you got a flight booked with Jetstar Asia. Let us know one Leuble three eight eaty two about five hundred jobs will be lost has been This story has started to be published more broadly, but Carl did mention it at the end of Breaking nineteen past nine Love to hear from you. Do you use fuel Watch? Yes or no? Coming up on the show going to speak to a charity that is an animal charity that has allegedly lost money after being told by the Adventure All Stars travel show hosted by Troy Gray that they would receive some dough. So it's a philanthropic travel show and it was aired on media Watch this week that up to thirty charities across Australia are allegedly waiting for money, waiting for money that has been raised. Yes, no, Do you use fuel Watch? The yes at thirty the nos a twenty nine get a William.
Speaker 5: Yes, good morning Simon. Yes I do. I do regularly watch fuel Watch and I actually record it to compare the different prices and the different times of the day. But my main question would be why we don't see the major companies going to pee are very often on fuel Watch, like BP. Well, we know Shell comes under sort of coals, but Cael Text and Pole and all the others that it's mainly the cheaper ones that we see on.
Speaker 1: The fuel Watch at the lower end, no doubt about it. Mate. The independence very true with him. Thank you mate. Appreciate Craig and Falcons. Craig, how good is Falcon? Craig, how good is Falcon? All of the VP service stations were brought back by BP decades ago. That made it difficult for anyone wanting to stay as a franchise business and squeeze them to sell. Take your word for that, Craig, Thank you. Made Allen says, I don't use fuel Watch, but I use the petrol Spy app. You can see price at petrol station a map, choose the best from that. It's always up to date. Thank you, Allen. Most of the servos do have an app, the seven to eleven app, in particular, you can lock in a price. A lot of correspondence on the seven eleven app, I think, Karen. Karen says, not a few watch. We've got a seven eleven hear me, and I use the app to lock in Tuesday prices to use up to twenty five percent on any twenty five cents on any fill up, says Karen. Thank you, Karen. Mel's the same good on your Mel. I use fuel Watch and seven eleven fuel Watch to make sure I'm getting the best price in my area, and if it's cheap at seven eleven, I book for the week. Mel Well done to you, very smart. Fuel is always free when the sun is shining in your driver tesla, says Marcus or a tesla. Thank you, mate, Nice to hear from you. Stephen Moyer, he's a CEO at the Motor Traders Association, but a trades' association, joins me. Now today, Steve, how are you simon here?
Speaker 10: You're going?
Speaker 1: Mate? I've run I don't know how many times I've talked to you about this, and I'm still scratching my head. How does this even happen? But we just sort of It's like a gigantic workaround for every driver in the city, isn't it?
Speaker 11: It is mad if I can jump to the defense of fuel Watch right up front, because I've been having a bit of a listened to some of the callers. Fuel Watch is a government provided service and they require every fuel out This isn't an optional. Every fuel out let must report their fuel price for the following day, and then fuel Watch will publish that at two thirty the day proceeding. So today at two thirty you'll be able to check out what the prices are tomorrow. The gentleman who was lucky enough to get one hundred dollars worth of free diesel, that's a promotion. You know. The fuel Watch can't do that sort of stuff because it's not that quick to be able to respond, and it also doesn't run promotion. So fuel Watch and in its implistic model, I think it's probably the best model in Australia. It's been around for twenty odd years now. And if people are priced conscious and they're not using fuel Watch, they really need to have a good look at it, because I mean, if we take today rip off Wednesday, you could make a saving of twenty nine dollars on a sixty today by going either to the cheapest or the most expensive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amazing, you and I still talking about it, and I will go to that because obviously it's legal for the petrol stations to do it. And yeah, Steve, do you reckon? You know we had one former owner saying, well, we just would wait for the gate price to be published by the refinery, chuck five cents on the top of that. That was an independent retailer. It must be legal to do it. I guess they telephone each other or email each other the day before. How do they do it?
Speaker 11: You know, yeah, they're not allowed to collude on pricing, but you can't help but get a little bit cynical when you look at the consistency of prices. But you know, I'd always say to consumers, jump onto the Australian Institute of Petroleum their website and you will pick up what the wholesale price is every day. So today wholestile price for unleaded petel dollar fifty six point eight. So when you look at the most expensive that I could find today was the ampole in Mosman. They're charging two dollars and five yep, sofy nearly fifty cents up on what the wholesale price is now. Yesterday they probably were closer to yeah, I don't know, than the one sixty mark. And a lot of times you will look at Costco. Costco today are a dollar forty six now, so they're trading underneath wholesale price. Extraordinarizeh it is so the vagar is. But you know, I would love to see a much fairer, more consistent pricing structure for fuel, and even if it took the regulators to say, you know what, you can't charge more than let's say, twenty cents above wholesale, that would be fairer for motorists than this fifty cent spike between a Tuesday and Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Stay. Structurally, I guess it would vary from brand to brand. Are they small business owners? So could you and me buy a petrol station? And as a partnership, yeah, you could.
Speaker 11: And in fact, I'm a huge supporter of independence. I generally find that the independence offer a much better deal than the big corporates. The calls and the vps of this world and the ampulse where you see the big corporates in there, that's where you see this massive fluctuation. So I suppose a message to listeners would be try and seek out those independents. They are, as you correctly point out, these small business people. They're trying to make a living. Interesting enough, the investment in fuel stations has been at a record high for the last two years, so despite the advent of evs coming into the market, there's a lot of money going into building petrol stations because there's obviously a good business there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We've got a text from one of our listeners, Barry. Good morning Barry. Can Steve Moyer comment on Shell not being registered on the fuel watch app in recent weeks. Shell does not appear anymore. I'm going off face value.
Speaker 11: Does it. I'm looking at it right now.
Speaker 1: It's more if it's not in the high or lows, isn't it isn't that what?
Speaker 11: Yeah, they're definitely there and if I'm just looking at a few of the Shell stations now, they do tend to on these days sit at the higher end of the pricing structures. So if people are looking for the cheaper ends, yeah you'll miss Shell. But certainly they're out there and well I'm truly listed well on the side. Steve always good everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, thank you mate. Always good to talk to you. And I it's it's not going away rip off Wednesday. I like it. Good phrase. Thank you Stephen. See you Stephen Moyer from the Motor Traders Association. I've been working at six PR on and off since two thousand and six and we always speak to Stephen's so he said it's the best in Australia, so you can use it right, but it is a work around this, this system of fuel cycles, and it's you can't always be organized enough to you know, then your kids, your and your car to one of your kids, or you go on a day trip. You can't always be organized to just get your fuel on Tuesday. I don't think or I can't. But yeah, I love to hear if we do use fuel watch Yes thirty seven's nose twenty nine a text from John Tooday John Burke, which is a name that we love, James Pommy word Burke, b u r K Burke. Petrol stations are generally fixed price a dollar fifty ish today and John notes that Alchamos, Lansdale, Malaga, Mount Lawley, and West Swan are honoring that dollar fifty, which is under the under the wholesale price. As Steve Moore pointed out, Jason, stay there, mate gets you in just a moment. I've thought a few years ago the government made petrol stations have a two week prize cycle. What happened with that? Gone by the board, gone by the way, So I cane the milkoe mel bean, It's back to one week, one week cycles. The trumpets driving Tesla's are those smart, says you need they are smoke, aren't Agentine? Having said that, I'd like to have one, Brian says, the shell near me no good? Three k's away shell good because near seven eleven, says Brian. Brian started to write in a certain code. I think I got that right, Brian didn't. I Shelly is definitely there, says Kate. Agrees with Steve. Thanks everyone, thanks for your thoughts on all this going off. This one that's going off with Chris Murphy would say do you use fuel watch? So yes? Is thirty seven the nose of twenty nine? So gigantic workaround a bizarre system. The National Broadcaster's Media Watch program has published some allegations that a number of charities through Australia around about thirty our Old Money by allegedly owed money from an Adventure All Stars travel show hosted by XAFL footballer Troy Gray. Tro Troy, you may recall, played for the Sydney Swans and played for some Kilda. He's long been a presenter, long been a sports guy, and he had this great idea, this concept of a philanthropic travel show, so tied him with charity. He's raising money for businesses and publishing details about tourism destinations, which is a really good idea, but it would seem according to media Watch, there's about thirty charities allegedly through Australia. The road money down to talk to one of those charities. In just a moment on the program, Jason's phone in about fuel.
Speaker 12: Hello mate, yeah, good ay boey yeah if you know anything about Mundar and goes there used to be a cow text just before Mondarian shopping Center and they turned it into a you go where it's called Hugo Petrol and it cuts out the cashier. All you do is pay by card and it's it's really cheap. It's a dollar forty six a leader. We got a four on Saturday and we went down the hill to Middland Gate and we went past midfold col text and it was a dollar eighty nine, so go figure.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow, So what's it called? You Hugo you go?
Speaker 13: You go?
Speaker 8: Are you?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 14: Yeah? No?
Speaker 1: Staff no?
Speaker 3: Staff?
Speaker 12: Yeah, cut down everything?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, okay, all right mate, thank you? Jason? Can you buy an ice cream? There?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 3: No, I can't.
Speaker 1: Who needs ice cream? Hey? Thanks Jason? Jason, cheers mate. Jason from Chidlow so a couple of our listeners. So there are family There's a family that owns a number of vps in the northern suburbs. I will Jared, thank you for the email.
Speaker 9: Mate.
Speaker 1: I will follow up with that and I am familiar with that family name. Thanks for listening. And do you use a fuel watch? A lot of people say they use the seven eleven app, including Sandy. Hi Sandy, she says, good morning, Bowie. I do use the fuel Watch, but I have a seven to eleven app. Last month I saved over sixty nine bucks. You're locking the cheapest price and use that price for one week. The app checks and finds the cheapest petrol price over the closest five outlets, not your closest. Free rewards after seven visits can be to buy a paper, et cetera, not just petrol. Thanks Sandy. I know, I think and our producer uses the seven eleven app a bit. It's changed things changed a little bit. There's a bit of a cap on that gap, isn't there now? Sandy. But that's that's really good technique from you. As I say, Caltech's BP AM Paul have apps, but they're more around rewards programs and paying for your fuel in the car. Barry says, thanks, Simon, regards my shell inquiry. Shell not is now not registered in the Rockingham Way Kiki area used to be, But not, mate, Barry. Maybe the closed down BP. Maybe the shells in your area of shutdown? Mate, I don't know that for sure. I'm guessing fuel Watch. We're not stupid, We're sick of all this price goals, and says Jason of Alfred Cove and other Jason's. I use fuel Watch, but I tend to fill up at Costco's. They don't fluctuate their prices. Cheers Jason. Yeah, Costco universally are one of the cheaper ones, but of course you have to be a member. But yeah, Costco regularly come in nice and cheap. Yes or no? Do you use fuel Watch? The yes forty ones and nose are thirty. We're going to talk about a philanthropic travel show that started out with great intentions, but the allegations now that they owe a few bit of money around Australia and including here in Western Australia. Mark Hayman is the owner of Possum Valley Animal Sanctuary and joins US now today.
Speaker 11: Mark, Well, good morning, how are you yeah, good.
Speaker 1: Mate, So these are allegations. We have to be a little bit careful how we describe this legally. But you've had you've had a bit to do with Adventure all Stars travel show, have you yes?
Speaker 2: Correct? So Possum Valley first heard about Adventure All Stars after our colleagues at Fellow Century Green the pastors participate in twenty twenty one. So we signed up in twenty twenty two after hearing about the concept and we were quite excited about.
Speaker 1: To begin with good idea. You get some publicity for your tourism destination, but you get to get to help out a charity as well.
Speaker 2: When when you think yes, yeah, absolutely, I mean the concept was quite sound to us. We thought it was a good good idea. Charities would participate, Volunteers would sign up to and raised on behalf of that charity, and if they reached a benchmark of ten thousand dollars, they were then able to participate in the program. And the agreement between the charities and the organization a charity, TV Global who runs the show was that they would take their expenses out of that ten thousand dollars and whatever remaining sums would be dispersed back to the charities for their fundraising efforts.
Speaker 1: So Mark has Possum val Valley Animal Sanctuary been on air.
Speaker 2: We have so poss And Valleys. The program that our participants were in. Two of our supporters did proceed to the filming and they were filmed in August of twenty twenty three on season four in the Blue Mountain. And the kind of things they participated in was like rock climbing, archery, a winery visits. They had horse riding for driving, mountaineering, and we're a a gondola ride. So I'm more of a domestic program for our episode. Ultimately, we only two of our volunteers did participate, and part of the reason for that was because during the fundraising phase of the activity, we did start to hear some concerns about the financial status of the organization and that our colleagues agree in the passes are having a great difficulty in receiving the funds and information about the funds they would do at that time, So we did start to limit some of our our fundraising efforts.
Speaker 1: So he started to pull back. He started the pull back back. Then even then you were hearing these allegations.
Speaker 2: Did that's correct.
Speaker 1: Did the host him? So, Troy Gray is a veteran media person mark you know, good footballer, has worked for Channel nine, work for this was aired on Channel seven. So he's a you know, a good looking bloke, able to host just about anything, good, good, charismatic bloke. Did he visit himself? Was he the presenter?
Speaker 2: We did not per interact or deal with Troy Gray, and I don't believe he didn't visit us and we didn't interact with him on personal level. We've generally interacted with him through his team through email.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, how much money are we talking mark for Possum Valley.
Speaker 2: Well, we have some. We've had a lot of difficulty trying to ascertain exact figure as to what was raised and potentially what should be returned to us. We can only estimate, based on the requirement for two people to reach a benchmark ten thousand each, that in the at least over twenty thousand dollars will have been raised in our name. But we've not received from charity TV Global any financial statements regarding what portion of that is due to us and what was attributed to the expenses of the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on ones, the costs come out at the expenses. Are they Are they talking to you market? Are the lines of communication open? Because I know all the episodes have come down off it's come off the website, so you can't see it anywhere. Are they talking to you.
Speaker 2: Not on a personal level. So around September of twenty twenty four, we began to receive, firstly a pre recorded video briefing that was distributed to participating charities. Thereafter a series of two or three emails that began to document some of the financial challenges that the organization was experiencing and the reasons that they were providing charities for the delays in payments and receiving information, and really those ranged from and I will tread carefully here knowing that these are allegations of this stage is absolutely quoted that certain legal actions being taken, not by us, but this was a broadcast email to all charities, and attributed some of the challenges to an allegation of funds misappropriated by a former staff member, of legal action that was being taken towards that staff member to try and recover those funds, YEP, forensic audits being undertaken, and also the actions of other charities to try and recover that funds.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also it detailed a flow on effect to the show of attention and actions being taken and social media comments towards the charity have an effect on their ability to continue to bring in new grants and new participants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Mark, good luck, thanks for talking to us today. We'll stay across at at not in good life. I hope, I hope you and the charities get get to see your dough and as I say, these are allegations at this stage.
Speaker 10: Thank you, Mark, Now, thank you for the time.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, we're a small grassroots organization, entirely volunteer run and very reliant on our fundraising efforts. While on the scheme of things, twenty thousand dollars might not seem like huge figures to us, it's a significant proportion of fundraising efference. And ultimately, in the lead up to shelter, it's wilter, it's winter shelters that are not going to be built. It's treatment to Richmond that we're going to be full.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it's hand to mouth operations like yours that can't can't afford the twenty grand, no doubt about it. Mark, take care, good luck to you. Thank you for having a chat to six hour listeners here.
Speaker 2: Thank you your time.
Speaker 15: I appreciate Thank you.
Speaker 1: Mark Hayman, the owner of Possum Valley Animal Sanctuary, one of several wa W charities which claims have never received fundraising money from Adventure All Stars travel show hosted by Troy Gray. These are allegations will aired on Media Watch this week. I'm going to talk to Rach Mack in just a moment. She's also in the in the frame here wants to weigh in. Rache, stay there if you will. We just need to take a commercial break. Come back in just a second. Here's the trailer for Adventure All Stars. I think Mark was saying there's four seasons in, but you can't find anywhere. Now here's the trailer for it.
Speaker 16: Hi, Welcome to Adventure Stars, the travel show with a Difference. Every episode features or plenty cast members traveling two secret locations. They don't know where they're going or what they're we're doing as they uncover the best and most exciting.
Speaker 1: Experiences on the planet.
Speaker 16: Prior to filming, the stars of today's show raise vital funds for their nominated charity and their reward is the trip of a life fund.
Speaker 17: Everything about this trip has changed my life.
Speaker 1: It's really hard to put it into words. It actually gets me vitomational week. It's a week like no other I've had before. You just have to trust that everybody has your back.
Speaker 17: You will have the best time of your life.
Speaker 1: Everybody should do this. Okay, who's joining me on today's show? Real People, Real Emotion, Real Adventure. This is adventure al star draw star so Samroni in all of that four seasons in allegations here this week on the National Broadcaster that the charities aren't seeing the dough back in a set which act to rach Mack in just a moment, she is also one of the charities that have been effected. Stay listening. We'll come back to our story on the Philanthropic Travel Show in just a second. Thanks. Your correspondence on fuel Watch do you use it Yes? Is fifty six the nos A thirty three. I'm a yes, Good morning, I'm a yes, says Jim. Gooday, Jim, Thank you, Brad from Ossie part I don't use fuel Watch. I just fill up every Tuesday. Yeah, thanks Brad. That's good tactics. If you can get that organized, Tony says fuel Watch. Yes, definitely always looking for the cheapest price when I'm driving past certain areas. Costco is definitely a favorite, says Tony. Thank you, Tony. And a fair bit about the shell stations in the Rockingham area. Shell Way Kiki fuel Station, which is a Coals Express registers on the Spy fuel Lap but not on the fuel Watch. And Robbo from Frere says, I use fuel spiceet of fuel Watch news Ample. Thanks Robo, good on you mate, have it a good day. Thank you very much for your thought. Let's go back to this story. The founder of Broken Crayon's Still Color Foundation wants the way in our chat about this travel show. The allegations that charities around Australia around about thirty are owed hundreds of thousands of dollars, including four of these charities that are based in Western Australia. Rach Mack joins me. Now she has been part of the media Watch program high Rage, good morning, good to talk to you. These that we need to tread carefully. These are allegations and it sounds messy and legally complicated. Back of house for the production company, what are you hearing and what.
Speaker 18: Do you know, Well, what I do know is he owes us just over sixty thousand dollars. We actually were getting concerned when there was one excuse after the other for why so we hadn't received our funds. We then got told that the cost of the trip was seventy five thousand dollars. Now we're in Perth. We went to Margaret River, so we asked for verified costs. We never received those, and we decided to pursue the legal route, and long story short, we won and mister Gray was given twenty one days to pay us and still has not paid us. So that's left in the hands of our lawyers now. But it's just devastating the damage that this causes, not just financially, but mentally and emotionally when you have plans for those funds, You've worked hard to raise them and they just disappear into SNIA. The reality is for me, as I am terminally ill, and my last vision for my foundation to deliver a third safe haven. Mister Gray says he was not aware of that. But on my certificate congratulations for reading reaching your target from Adventure All Star Troy Gray, it says where the money is going to our third safe haven.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's a blatant lie. Yeah, yeah, so I'm sorry. I'm sorry here, crook rage. That's no good. Color Broken Crime. Steel Color is a foundation dedicated to victims of domestic violence, isn't it?
Speaker 10: That's correct?
Speaker 18: Yes, So we assist all genders, and we've got to safe haven for mums and their kids, and we wanted to open up Western Australia's only and first safe haven for fathers and their children, and mister Gray has taken that away from us, so we've had to start again to try and raise those funds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's awful. Has has your part of the production. So from what I understand, you know, foundation is like yours. Charities like yours get to be on the program. You're the recipient charity. But he does involve some filming, either with your staff or with some of your volunteers who get to go on a trip and you know, do some travel and go to a destination. That's broadly how it works, isn't it, Rachel, Yes, it.
Speaker 18: Is it is, And I am going to stand by what I originally said. The trip itself was a wonderful experience.
Speaker 19: It really was.
Speaker 18: But that was the people that made that trip, the other charities, and you know, I've made lifelong friends from that, but that I paid over sixty thousand to make some friends in the end. So I've got a real sourur taste in my mouth. And I think this thing that upsets me the most. Mister Gray claims he can't pay any.
Speaker 4: Of these charities.
Speaker 18: Yet as we speak, he's in Bali on a boy's trip footy trip, so he's got the money to go to Bali but can't pay any of the charities. And we took him to court. He tried to intimidate me, bullying me him and his lawyer, and I did not back down once and then he couldn't even afford to pay as lawyer. His lawyer told hours that that mister Gray had not paid his legal bills, so he would not be representing him anymore.
Speaker 1: Okay, and we won, yeah, and well yeah, you won in the courts, but you still we have to see the dough and Rachel, I imagine that you know, if you are, if you are seriously unwell, the amount of stress this would would, the impact on you would be would be bordering on catastrophics. I'm really sorry to hear about it. Rachel. I'm out of time a little bit here, so I've got to let you go, but we'll stay across at hey and good luck.
Speaker 19: Thank you very much.
Speaker 18: I appreciate your time.
Speaker 1: Rach Mac was in the media Watch article, so another word, w a charity. So these are allegations, but the it would appear both the Possum Valley Animal Sanctuary and rach Mack started becoming concerned about this crew the charity TV Global ctv G. They're about their ability to pay the sixty grand or the twenty grand or whatever it is. And these are hand to mouth organizations charities. As I say, these are allegations only broadcast on media Watch this week. Amazing. Hey, yes, no, do you use fuel Watch? We'll come back to that in just a moment. It's four minutes to ten. Thank you for listening. Jake Batchick could join us after ten o'clock. Our news director, the police submissioner has come out and talked about the front page story which is in the West today. He's gone pretty hard. Our man call will have a look at that. Do you use fuel watch? The yeses of fifty six and nose of thirty three. A lot of the yeses are now hold sway there, Paul said. Paul says, gooday. Simon on Kelvin Road in Maddington is extraordinary. There are two Cowdex petrol stations directly opposite each other. Some days there's a difference of forty cents a liter, both cow techs. I don't understand that. Well, I don't understand that either. And no, I don't use fuel watch. How does it work? Folks? How does it work? Do they all ring each other Monday arbos? How does it work? And someone's mentioned that there's a I like, I like this one from Blicky's Blicky's. We do use fuel watch. We use either Vibe with four cents cheaper deal from Spudshed. Spudshed fine. I don't realize the galadi's written in on Vibe Well Burke on West One Road, it's always in the dollar fifties. Yes it is. That's cheap that one, mate, Oh yeah, use that one. It's dollar fifty nine and West One Road in Gilfi's dollar fifty four, both at Burke. Thanks Blicky's good name. Thanks mate. We'll come back after ten o'clock. The commissioners come out swinging on the front page story plenty to talk about this is Perth today, How good? How good are Australian crawl Love to hear from you today, one double three A eighty two Our Yes No Question we run on every day. If you're new to listening to the program, and we're very awhere. A lot of people listen to this show on the app and listen to six PR on the app, which also means you can correspond with us on our Yes No Question each day. Yes, I do you use fuel Watch? The yeses are fifty six, sorry fifty eighth and the nose are thirty six with plenty of people do use it. The rob Reckons shell petrol station prices are set in the Eastern States. Thanks Rob Tony from Baldivis. Hello, Tony, I don't use fuel Watch. I fill up on Tuesdays or I go to Costco. A lot of people do. People are organized, yet it's always cheaper on Tuesday, irrespective or regardless. Thanks for being part of it today. Yes is a fifty eight and the nose of thirty six. I wanted to Daisy Piers.
Speaker 8: Good on.
Speaker 1: Daisy Pierce, a veteran of women's footy, superstar player and coach leader, all of that, But she made some funny comments at the awards last night, saying, you know, winning a Grand Finals better better day of my life than having kids. We'll talk about that in just a moment. Are you allowed to say that you had it? I think you are ancher. I think you're allowed to say that. Eight minutes past ten. We'll come back to that in just a moment. How are you buying your petrol or you're shopping around? Are using the seven to eleven app? A lot of people are the other apps? Caltech's bp am POL rewards based apps will payment based apps rather than locking in a fuel price. But plenty of people seem to like the seven eleven app for locking in a price for seven days. And the Wildcats have changed their logo after thirty years. You may have heard Milsey, Carl and Sebastian discussing it today. Wanted to talk about that when sometimes a logo change absolutely brains it and lands doesn't it. And I can think of no better example of when Frio changed their logo I reckon than you, Well, you know what is it? Ten years old?
Speaker 14: Now?
Speaker 1: The Frio logo now is fantastic, the colors, the way it's used. I think Steve Harris of the Brand Agency was the architect of changing the logo, all the merchandise, the branding for the whole club, and I reckon that's a change of logo that's really really worked. We'll talk about logo and brand changes in just a moment. Jake Batrick is our news direcord at six PR and he's been to the Police Commissioner's press conference this morning. Thanks for joining us, Jake, Yeah, good morning, Bowie.
Speaker 20: And a lot of the questioning at that doorstop this morning was around one of the assistant commissioners at the WA Police Force, and that is Gaaleen Hamilton. Now, she was promoted into that role not too long ago, and only a handful of days after that promotion, Galen Hamilton has been stood down. An internal investigation has been launched by the WA Police Force following a complaint. Now, it was reported in the daily newspaper this morning on the front page that they understood that Miss Hamilton was involved in a romantic relationship with a junior police officer. Now, when these sorts of things arise, it's not often that you get the police Commissioner Cole Blanche talking about Cifix and what has happened. And he's done that this morning because that report in the daily newspaper was incorrect that it was a romantic relationship. So he was pretty steadfast on that this morning, that that reporting in the daily newspaper was incorrect around that romantic relationship. Just have a listener to what he said this morning a short time ago was pretty strong.
Speaker 21: Well, look, I ordinarily wouldn't talk about it, but given the inaccurate reporting this morning, it's a friendship gone sour and persistent messages that were unwarranted or unwanted. I should say there's a power in balance because of the different ranks, and that's something that I have to take seriously. A complaint has been made, so I have to investigate a complaint. No found findings have been made, We have to investigate. Importantly, if people feel subject to harassment, they should feel comfortable to make a complaint. Sadly, I think after this morning's reporting and accurate reporting, that person is suffering significant distress and my job now is to support our police officers, including a complainant who is highly distressed. As a result of.
Speaker 1: What's occurred, so very direct and very as you say, steadfast, good word Jake to describe his stance on this one, he's saying, it's not a romantic involvement's a friendship. It's a friendship. It's gone south.
Speaker 20: And Police Commissioner Coblanch saying that the basis of the complaint was some unwarranted text messages and when those text messages were lengthy and as well as in the number of text messages as well. So that's what Police Commissioner Coblanche said this morning. The complaint is surrounding, so there is.
Speaker 1: The story is accurate and that the senior officer has been stood down pending the investigation's outcomes. Yes, yeah, one hundred percent right. And our team here have noted that the digital version of the article has changed the phrase romantically involved line too. It is understood it relates to a friendship Ms. Hamilton has had with a more junior police officer and the complaint was made after the relationships out, So that article has been edited and corrected. Still time stamped at two am this morning. That's often when the West does. You know, a lot of us put stories out online. But it has been changed. That's correct.
Speaker 20: Yeah, yeah, it has been changed. But yeah, I don't know how many they printing are they.
Speaker 1: Know the thing that you and I have on front of us since the hard poppy, there's any of those through wa exactly if you're reading it this morning in a nice cafe, it's not a romance. It's a friendship. But thanks for bringing up today, Jake. You're very welcome. Cheers, thank you. Unusual for all the commissioner to go go. It is a front page story today. Yeah, so possibly the use of the word romantically or romantic involvement is the issue for Cole Blanche. It has been changed. The digital version has been changed. Thirteen minutes past ten o'clock. One, double three eight eighty two is the phone number zero four eight seven, Triple nine eight eighty two is the SMS from Frio, says Simon another No here, I don't use fuel what surely you don't think they ever collude? Mark? Thank you? Mark? You know does how does it happen? Mark? How does it happen that every Monday? It's a cycle that seems to line up reasonably closely. And we have had some of our listeners say, look the cow Texas can vary, the ampoles can vary, But how does it actually work. I've had an ex independent retailer, owner of an independent fuel station ring us and say that we just use to bang five cents on the gate price, the published gate price of the fuel. But yeah, how does it work. It's a joke, really, isn't it. How that doesn't contravene some aspect of consumer law is absolutely bewildering. Just to reiterate with the only city in Australia that has a seven day fuel cycle, you could mark mountain argument and that's better than a five or six week one where it does just slowly steadily go up or slowly steadily go down. Adelaide has a two week cycle. We have a one week cycle, and of course it doesn't include diesel fuel watch and of course it doesn't happen in Country Wa either. It's it's a bit of a joke, isn't it. It's a bit of a joke. One double three A eighty two is the is the number block branding died Frio's rebrand, says trev Trip. I thought it was the brand agency. I thought it was Steve Harris and the brand agency. I think Steve was president at the time and Steve Rossich was CEO. I think I'm happy to stand correctly the Triva if I got that wrong, Thank you, mate, Kylie says Happy Wednesday, Simon, Happy Wednesday, Kylie. I always use the fuel Watch app in the city in the regions. Robin Warmber, yes to using fuel Watch, Thank you mate. I use petrol Spy, but only on holidays over east. One double three eight eighty two is the phone number, and this one hit from alis Stair. I look at fuel Watch from time to time. I know locally where I can get my best fuel prices. Krana Beach Vibe is usually the best for me. Grana Beach Vibe. So yeah, that's on Rockingham Road, isn't it? Eighty eight Leader fuel tank so usually put in sixty to seventy Leaders when needed. Thanks Alistair, and Alyssa says liberty on Dixon Road rocking Ham raw is cheaper, thanks mate, so smart organized, Alistair, good Man, well done. One double three three eight two, Thanks for your thoughts today Court sixteen minutes past ten, I'm Simon boat plenty still to come on the show where we are trying to track down Tony tuckknot. We were trying to do that. Yesterday, the former champion speedway driver received an award in the King's Birthday Honors List for services to mountain bike him. We're trying to get him today, but he's in dwelling Up. He's out in the bush riding his mountain bike, planning for the dwelling up one hundred. Such is his life. If you've ever ridden on a mountain bike track in Wa on a good one, you're probably riding on a Tony Tucking mountain bike track, an MTB track good a mark, Hi both.
Speaker 22: I'm just just a comment on that Feel White show where they've got to locker their price by six o'clock in the morning. Yeah, it's it's actually anti competitive because it also means they can't drop their price. So they could put a price on two dollars and across the roads of dollar eighty, they have to leave their price at two dollars. They can't drop their price.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so there's a downside for.
Speaker 22: Them, Yeah, yeah, exactly. So you're locking your price and that's it. That's your price for the day. You can't actually bring it down to your competition.
Speaker 1: Good. That's good.
Speaker 22: It's actually anti competitive.
Speaker 1: Well it's good. Sucked in. Thanks, thanks mate, thanks for calling in one double three a eighty two. We are trying to give some state of origin tickets away. We'll do that after the after the break, ay Jimmy, and we'll do that in just a moment. And look, if you know anything about this travel show, happy to chat to the Adventual Stars travel show. Have you been a destination?
Speaker 14: Have you?
Speaker 1: Are you a charity that is still waiting for on your dough It is allegations only at this stage. Raised my media watch yesterday on the National Broadcaster. We'll come back in just a moment. The Wildcats have changed their logo. Will it work? It appears to have been fan driven, which is cool. And as I say, I reckon the brand change for the Dockers was a ripper, was absolute ripper of the Eagles, changed theirs, then changed it back a little bit. There's been some tweaking there. I reckon the Frio change of colors and the brand and the logo has worked, and I liked it straight away just from a purely esthetic point of we reckon it's a beauty. We'll come back in just a moment. We note that the time is eighteen minutes past ten. As you know, the best of the best. There heading west for NRL State of Origin Game two, How Good New South Wales versus Queensland six p are Our station has double passes to be one so you can catch all the action live Wednesday, June the eighteenth, How Good at OPTAs Stadium out of the Burswood Peninsula. Be listening later in the show today for this cuter call better than all the rest, simply the best. When you hear that ring in and tell us today's code word here it is today's code word for our show is blues. Tell us today's code word the blues. Blues or the blues. That's today's code word. When you hear that quticle song, simply the best, ring us one double three eight eight two Our code word for today blues. It's on the matter. I do you use fuel watch? The yeses are sixty four, the nose of thirty seven going at a cracking pace. The yes's god A Bowie says TJ, Hello, TJ. I have a fuel watcher at home. She usually sends me to Costco and I need to bring home a couple of cooked chickens. My alternative is the United in Henderson usually has diesel at a good price. Thank you, TJ all the very best mate. Rob Robin says, I don't use fuel watch. I use my eyes when I'm driving around, So you've got your own fuel watch system there, Rob, Thank you. Micking vict I meet fuel prices, don't worry me. Has only put twenty dollars worth him at a time. Thanks mate, I'd love to hear from you today. Listeners one double three eighty two, zero four eighty seven, triple nine eight eighty two. I reckon. It was one of the as we as we note this morning that the Wildcats have changed their logo after thirty years. It appears to be fan driven and member driven. I reckon. One of the really good logo changes was that of the Freemantle Dockers. It was a complete brand revamp. I've always liked it, but I also respect and understand people like to have the heritage part of that as well, and perhaps those two little systems can can coexist. Block Branding did do the Dockers back in twenty ten, Matt Popkes joins US. He's a head of strategy at the brand agency Matt.
Speaker 19: How are you, hey, Sam, good, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. So when does an organization like we'll stay with sports organizations at this point, when do they get to a point where they we'll look at a Ray brand?
Speaker 23: What?
Speaker 24: What?
Speaker 1: What often triggers it?
Speaker 19: Yeah, it's good question. I think there's there's probably three main reasons for it. Sometimes you'll have a change in leadership, you know, whether that be the C suite or within the marketing team itself that you know, for one reason or another just simply wants to usher in a new era or you know, put their stamp on things. And there's there's probably no better more tangible way to draw a line in the sand than you know, the visual identity itself and sort of demonstrating that and using that as a as a motive, you know, this is the next new era of the team. I think. In addition to that, there's you know, the unavoidable reality that rebrands sell merchandise within sports, and you know, while you're gonna need to get the fan base on board, and the you know, the more rabid the fan base, the herder that job is going to be. You know, there will be you know, and an inevitability is you know, you're gonna sell jerseys and hats and teas, and people are going to eventually adopt the rebrand, you know, whether they want to or not. You know, their emotional ties to the team will keep them on board. And then I think, finally, like design itself, does age over time in a lot of respects, I think timeless design is pretty difficult. Not everybody can nail the New York Yankees logo and stick with it for yeah, seventy five years. So you know, you look at a lot of NBA logos from the nineties, right, and those started to feel pretty dated and out of place and belonging to a different era. So I think just design aesthetics evolve over time and sometimes they come back.
Speaker 1: Even a lot your notion of rabid fans, which is often how freo fans you described, they're very, very committed and very passionate, and they we've seen it. We've seen that because the Eagles perceived well, actual lack of on field success, a lot of lot of heart, they want to go back to some of the original logos, colors, branding, you know, banners to run through that sort of thing, so it can be a double edged sword, can it?
Speaker 19: Yeah, definitely, And I think that you know, people feel an emotional attachment to their team regardless, especially you know, the longer you've supported them. You know, it becomes part of your identity. So you see changes to that identity and you know, like almost instinctually, you're going to have a visceral reaction to it. And it doesn't feel you don't feel as connected to it as you know the identity of that team that you supported growing up, right. And then I think you do find and it's cyclical, right, Like you mentioned, I think you do find a lot of teams. Oftentimes we'll sort of go through this cycle of revamping and coming up with something new, only to you know, ten years later kind of return to their roots. I think that's pretty common.
Speaker 1: And as you say, they're not cheap. I've worked at government agencies that have been through rebrands, and I think, unless I've got this wrong American, the federal government gently rebranded last year to be the Australian Government. So it can't sometimes happen as a soft landing a little bit not steal's the wrong word, but there's not much fuss made about it, and it just becomes a thing. Do you have you seen the new Worldcats one, Matt and you've got any thoughts on it?
Speaker 19: Yeah, let's put me in a hard spot.
Speaker 3: But sure.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 19: Look, I think it's like I said, it's it's a hard job. And any designer or agency that steps into this goes into it knowing that it's going to be an adoption process for the fan base to get on board with it. But you know, I think they hit the brief in terms of you know, it's got subtle, subtle homage to w A. It's definitely got you know, I'm a big from the United States, but that's not obvious. And I'm a big NBA and college basketball fan, and it's got strong collegiate basketball vibes and strong use of the colors. And you know, the Wildcats is such a ubiquitous, widely used logo in many sports across many countries, so it's hard to find an application that kind of feels new and fresh. And I think, yeah, give it time and people will get on board with it.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it was always going to line up with the Red Army because they're massive emotional connection, aren't they? With the you know, the the city's full on game night, you know, the Red Army wandering through town, and particularly when they've had a win and they've been so successful. So probably, you know, after thirty years, if it is member driven and done for all the right reasons, I'd imagine probably land. Okay, hey, Mat, good to talk to you today. Thanks for your thoughts. Yeah, thank you, she's mate. Matt pop Keys from the brand agency's ahead of strategy. What do you reckon, listeners? I you know, if it's member driven and the wild that's what the Wildcats fans want. Will they have a major stay They're the major stakeholders, aren't they. As I sorry, I'm a massive fan of the Frio rebrand when that was done. What do you think? One double three a toddy two? Love to hear from you. Sometimes logo changes happen with companies and with organizations. So the Brisbane Broncos have just changed their logo an hour ago, so that's that's new. Commonwealth Bank has a new logo. One of the pets Pets Does inexplicably has called themselves pet Oh. But there you go, and that that probably you know the pet store industry has changed, isn't it. In the last few weeks in Western Australia. So yeah, logos that have worked, logo changes that have worked, love to hear from you. One Double three Adady two. We had a logo change at Walga when I was there. The old one was pretty dated, pretty tired, a little bit bureaucratic looking, and the new one is pretty cool, nice new bowl colors so you can use the colors differently in different areas, and you know, on websites and on documentation and things. So I like the new Welga web new Wolga design that if you didn't work in local government you probably wouldn't need to know anything about it. But yeah, give us a call. Logos that have logos that are new, that have landed and have worked for you. Dan says, I still have a yellow and black Wildcats jacket from the early nineties, says Dan, thank you. Don says yes for fuel Watch one Double three Atty two. Trevor did say the blocking did do block branding, Block branding did do the logo change for free. I do stand corrected on that. I just assume, because Steve Harris was involved and he was working at the brand agency, that it was done by brand. But it was done by Block Brandy back way back in twenty ten, and it's a ripper change. I reckon hl us ten love to hear from you. One double three at eighty two is the phone number logo changes that have worked in the Red Army people. Do you like the new Wildcat's logo? Back in a moment, Liam says, the New Wildcat's logo gives off a vibe, gives off a vibe of a mix between signing the Hedgehog and a bottle opener, leaving a funny bit. A tough few weeks for the team, and Brad's with you on that, Lamb. He reckons, it's Brad's come out swinging on this one one of our listeners. Brad reckons, let me just bring it up. Mate. The Red Army hates the logo and I'm with them. Check the socials for the response. It's a disgrace, an attempted distraction from inep governance of the team. Thank you, Brad, Good on you mate. I'm glad that you are listening. Darren says. Collingwood revamp their jumper all the time from black and white to white and black. Go the Pie says, thanks Darren, Darren, did you get a few good umpiring decisions in the last quarter on the weekend for the one point winner over Melbourne?
Speaker 19: Did ya?
Speaker 1: Shan I reckon you did, Chantel says good a bowie a logo change that worked his Perth glory from the NSL days to the A League. Thank you, shan Tell. Kyle says check the Newcastle United English soccer team logo and crest two mermaid horses. Newcastle is nowhere near the ocean, says Kyle, and John races a good point supporter. Driven is a better word ten times more supporters at least than members, says John. Thank you, John, pretty big stakeholders, those members and people go to the game. So John, Oh, aren't they thank you for your thoughts today? Hayden Hello, Yes.
Speaker 25: Nice, Simon mate, Yeah, I just want to talk about the brand change, the Toyota logo. I'm not sure when they when they brought in the two ovals. I think it might have been early nineties. That's obviously really well recognized brand change. And if you look at the new Pradas that have come out, they use the word Toyota on the base models like the g X g XL and then for the the v X and the other models, they use the actual badge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just looking. I'm just looking on my phone here, mate. So yeah, it's it's it's overlapping a too perpendicular. It's pretty cool, igo, isn't it.
Speaker 3: You see the tea and the Yeah, it stands out and just well I've got you.
Speaker 25: I've just driven through that wonderful section between Bustlon and Bumbera and they've ripped up some more section of road and put some more witches hats down, just down.
Speaker 1: When when's the Yeah, so that's the that isn't you know? For just for clarification, that's not the Bumbria out of Ring road that this is at the Busto end, isn't it.
Speaker 25: No, it's actually actually coming onto the new Dundee just before that, coming into Ward's Bumbary.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah, yeah right yeah, okay, all right and that's new fantastic. Yeah all right, cheers, Hayden, thanks for phinding in today. One Double three A Daddy two. Anthony says the Kia logo looks so good, thank you. Anthony. Simon says Wildcat's new logo looks like fox I Reckon Simmo and a big yes for fuel watch Simon will put you down. Thank you. Richard disagrees with me. He says the rebrand of the Doctors was an absolute disaster that was not driven by the members. It was the thought bubble of Harrison Rossich thirty year members like us hated it and we still want the retro jumpers back. Richard, I thank you, mate. I like it. I like the LGO change. I think that it's one of the best jumpers in the in the competition, and the logo is good and the colors are cool.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: I'm not a you know, I'm a stakeholder and that I want Free Out to win and do well and win a premiership so we can stop saying that stupid thing. You've never won a premiership. I liked it, but I'm not, you know, I'm not a member like you made a foundation member. What do you call, Richard? You guys Harbor Harbor members or Harbor supporters or something. Thanks for your thoughts, mate, having to disagree. Good at Steve, How are you mate? Good? Thank you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 24: The wild its logos terrible, It looks American eyes, looks very dainty. There's no kind of aggression to it. There's Yeah, it's clearly a distraction because we've lost the league's best player and we're going to be smashed.
Speaker 1: Yeah on Steve. Yeah, that's that's what Mills. He said this morning. What you didn't really want on new logo? You what a Bryce Cotton? Yeah, he's right, isn't he every now and then he's right to Steve. Steve Mills once or twice a year, Thanks Steve. So Steve doesn't like it. You know, people aren't always comfortable with change. And I would say to Richard, who disagrees with me about the new Freeo logo, and he's very entitled to that, and he's got some major skin in the game. Sometimes the two can coexist. You can have a new logo and still love the old one and the old colors. Did the green really work? Which and you know it wasn't that long after the new logo and the rebrand that Freer made a Grand Final. And as I've said many many times on this show and sitting in this chair, two years ago, with forty seconds to go in the season, there were Fourth looking at a double chance, and then Collingwood, Pip Carlton and Colinwood went into went into the four and the rest is history. Who will be responsible for the cleanup after the sewage leaks through the southern suburbs of Beaconsfield, Spearwood and the like. We'll get to that in just the moment. It's twenty one and a half minutes to eleven, so just looking at the Watercourt website today, we are in a situation where we have thousands of kilometers of sewerage line in Western Australia, nearly seventeen thousand caves of wastewater pipes, We've got thirteen, We've got five major wastewater plants in the metropolitan area. By twenty thirty, we've been told that we will thirty percent of our water will be recycled and ironically will be use on ovals and regional parks. That looks a little way off, doesn't it, given what we've seen of this week. I know Ollie cover the story on Monday on the show, but Spearward, Beaconsfield, Alpha Crowd and Applecross and parts of South Frio are experiencing either major overflows or minor overflows. The Mayor of the City of Frio is Hanna fits Harding, joins me. Now, gooday, Hannah, good day, Simon, good to talk to you. So in this case Beaconsfields yours, isn't it, Bruce Lee Reserve.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that's correct.
Speaker 1: What are you hearing and how are you involved in the cleanup? What will be council's responsibility here?
Speaker 13: Look, I think Simon, we've still known at a stage where we really know what that's going to look like. I mean, our immediate responsibility was to make sure that the users of that oval were able to move pretty quickly last weekend to other venues. So we got the Freemadtile Farmers Markets were able to come down to Fremadtle Arts Center and pop up there. The Frenatle City Football Club. Clearly we're not going to be playing soccer on that oval, and you know we've worked with them to find other places to play. But we're not clear at this stage how long it's going to be going on for or what the cleanup looks like. Driving pass every day, I've got to say, I don't know that the grass is going to be in a particularly good state. What's the cleanup happened? So it could be a bit of a long process.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So have you at what stage do you Once Water Corps start talking to you and you know all the it all starts to settle down, you could potentially be looking at a new surface or a new oval there, couldn't you? Will you guys and your rate payers pay for that?
Speaker 13: Well, we don't know that yet, And to be fair, we're respecting the work Water Corps doing at the moment just to try and solve the immediate crisis. I mean, they've got some pretty major works underway to try and deal with Spearwood and beacon Field. I think we know now were the consequences that they're having to shut off that Spearwood line and more getting pushed through like the rest of the system. So we're kind of leaving them to their priority work, which is to get that done. And we're sure there'll be a big conversation after that about how we're going to do the fix up. But look, we were lucky in a sense, I think down in Stearwood. You know, people's times have been badly affected because the sewerburst next to an oval. It's not great, but it was fairly contained in a public open space, and I think we're fortunate in that regard. But gee, it makes you learn a lot about this stuff quickly, and the fact that it's gone into the stormwater system now and it's you know, we've had to stop people getting in the water at certain places in the river and in fishing boat harbor and other places. It's pretty serious.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: I watched a little two minute video this morning, Hannah. You're right, you do live and you live and learn. I watch a little video about our wastewater system, which which generally works pretty well. It is a worry when it gets into the river and into the ocean, isn't it That worries me greatly?
Speaker 19: Yeah, it worries us as well.
Speaker 13: And obviously our environmental health officers are out there working with the state government departments to do all the water testing and everything and make sure, you know, everywhere that people want to swim is safe for them to swim.
Speaker 10: But yeah, it's pretty worrying, yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we will wait to hear what the Water Corp. As you say, you're being generous your in supporting the water Corp. But you know, it's hopefully these sort of costs can be met and don't impact on ratepayers because that Bruce Lee Reserve I've seen the drone shots. Doesn't look great does it at the moment.
Speaker 26: No.
Speaker 13: Look, we've got the farmers' markets back at the center again this weekend. I know what's to come down. It was fantastic last weekend, but we can't see people getting on there in the in the near future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, thanks Hannah, thanks for chatting to us. It's least and if it's harding the mayor of Freo. So yeah, just trying to think your head what comes next? That the overhead shots of Bruce Lee Reserve in Beaconsfield, it's just a big pile of sludge and you know stuff that stuff that ordinarily goes into your duney. So most of the wastewater in Perth comes out of our bathrooms and our laundries less so, you know, out of the kitchen. And by twenty thirty thirty percent of all wastewater will be recycled. It's generally used on regional parks ovals. It's not used for drinking water obviously. It is used as recycled water ironically on parks like Bruce Lee Reserve, and some of it us pumped back into the aquafa as well to replannish drinking water supplies, which you know, it's not great to think about, but I think ultimately it's a it's a way of recharging the aquifers through through Mother Nature's filtration system. But yeah, yet, if you live in the area, I know, as I say, Ollie covered it pretty early when it first started happening on Monday, and he spoke to a couple of residents who had to move home to move the kids out if they were living near the overflows. Jackie, Hey one double three eighty two. We've just checked in with water corp our little team here. Still no solid time frame four repairs, but they're hoping to have the necessary equipment on site by today. Will update us and six pur listeners and the public as soon as possible. Yes, no, do you use fuel watch seventy one yeses and thirty nine nots. Gibba Gibbos says, your funny Gibo give us says when did Bruce leave?
Speaker 13: VI?
Speaker 1: Isit Perth? Well, Gibbo, I guess maybe there's not just one Bruce Lee mate. Now I would imagine you are funny Gibbo. Thank you, John says the Harley Davidson bar and Shield Low hasn't changed forever or ever. Thanks John, Margaret. Hello Margaret the Burke b ure k I say Burke service station great in Highway near Basandine overs dollar forty six. Thank you Margaret. On yat Bernard says, I'm a FREO supporter and I love the new brand. However, I can understand how the long term members think, Yes, go Wildcats. Losing Bryce is awful, but it is a team game, says Bernard or Bernard, Thank you mate. I think this is from Grumpy and More. Hello Grumpy the Mighty Royals is the best logo ever. It's pretty good, Grumpy. Isn't it going too bad this year? Do you use fuel watch? Yes? Says Judy from Madley High Jude. Thank you one double three eight.
Speaker 27: So.
Speaker 1: In a couple of comments on the sewage overflows, Andy says, when is the water minister at and the local FREEO member on this sewage issue in Beaconsfield? As a rate payer, I certainly hope we are not paying for this. The mayor should have come out strongly supporting rate payers. That she would pressure the minister to cover all costs, is Andy? Yeah, you'd hope so, Andy, you'd hope that homeowners aren't aren't up for losing their no claims bonus on their home home insurance. This is a water corporation blue, isn't it? One double three eighty two. I'd love to hear from you today, one double three eighty two Do you use fuel? Watch? The yeses are eighty seven the nose of forty five. Let you know earlier this morning, one of my mates down in Bumbri let me know that Marley the white dingo or I'll use the word albino advisory, cause I don't know that Marley was an albino dingo. But Marley has passed away on Sunday. Been in the area since around about twenty thirteen, originally from the Pilbro lived on a farm for a little while out in Harvin. Eventually made Harvey made us, so Marley made its way to the Bumbrie Port and it's been living at the Marine Rescue search and rescue compound for years and years and years. But Marley did leave us on Sunday, and we are trying to talk to some locals about that. The Bumburry Marine Rescue people are out doing exercises today. Can't get hold of them. They have been looking after it. Colin says, how about the mighty years Frio changing from Old East to the Sharks. Yeah, that worked pretty well, called in that it was a while ago though, Thank you this one from Fee, Hello, Fee of ease for original members of the Dockers are harbourmasters. I like all of the logos who still have pretty much all the different jumpers stashing our covers. My personal favorite is the Dockers. A F L W jumper says Fee, Thank you Fee. When have logo changes worked? Thanks for your correspondence and your thoughts. Stewart says Bowie. The sewage blowouts are a direct result of the massive increase in infield housing, putting pressure on a system it wasn't designed to move so much material. That's not a bad thought, Stuart. When these old systems meet large number of new homes on newly developed infield land have a by way of example, Stuart says Cougie. Hampton Road development, North Kooge developments also big blocks in the Speward area into at least two homes of four to six units, all feeding into an old system. That is not a bad thought, Stewart. As I said, I had to look at the little instructional video promotional video on the water Court website. Today, seventeen thousand k's of wastewater pipes mate twenty thirty thirty percent of our wastewater will be recycled and pumped back onto ovals, pumped into regional parks. We won't be drinking it, but we will be putting it back into the aquafas so it's filtered and we it comes out of our taps again. One double three eight two is the phone number. We're going to talk about the erengagee jellyfish after eleven o'clock as well. And nasty little bits of kit, aren't they? The only sort of I know? Five millimeters across these little jellyfish. A couple of people have been stung over the weekend in the Kimberle and they are nasty, nasty little animals. The you're in gadget and we'll talk about them with an expert after eleven o'clock today it is coming up eight and a half minutes to eleven sec. You might have heard a Millsey and Carl chatting about a couple of prospectors who have found a nugget worth one hundred and sixty thousand bucks. And this is at near Sandstone, So Sandstone is near Leinster. It's his own shire, the shire of Sandstone. They found a nugget worth one hundred and sixty thousand bucks. So I might ask our listeners today we've I think I've asked this question a few times over the years. What's the latest bit of prospecting kit that you're using. What's the new metal detector called? Usually has a number and some letters. What are the new metal detectors called? You see metal detectors on the beach at Hillary's on Mondays. You see the guys and girls in the water. There's waterproof ones these days. If you are a prospector and you're in Sandstone, what do you need? What bit of kit do you need? I'm assuming it's not just a metal tray anymore? And some keen eyes there would be a detector of some sort. And where can you go prospecting? Because a lot of a lot of claims and a lot of areas are in the crownland or have been staked off by mining companies. Where can you go prospecting? What do you need to find a nugget? These days? One double three A eighty two asking the question today do you use fuel watch. I'll bring you up to date with that in just a moment. Here's an update about this twenty one Your old guy has been missing since from Friday. I think it was, Yeah, twenty one year old bloke missing from Friday the air of Carmel. Carmel is up in the hills near Pickering Brook. Beautiful little, old, old style little village up there. Bianca Carboni joins us from Channel nine. Hi Bianca, what can you tell us? What's the latest?
Speaker 17: Hi, Simon. It is a beautiful area up here, but right now it's filled with fifty police officers, sees volunteers, and members of the family of Fin Coyl, all of them working together to try and find him. You're right in saying that he's been missing for five days. The twenty one year old was last scene at his family home here in Carmel in the Perf Hills. Police say that he is autistic, so he and also is described as one hundred and eighty seven centimeters tall, with brown hair, green eyes, and a slim build. So that's who they're looking for, and they're urging the public to keep giving them leads. They're following many leads from the public at the moment, but they believe he likely is in the bushland in this area, so this is why they're focusing here on the Perf Hills. They've also got some new search tactics that they're trying out today on the second day of this extensive search. One of them is a talking drone, So a family member of fin Coil has recorded a message and they're playing that from the drone as it hovers over the area, just in case he is hiding. He might think that he's in trouble and they're hoping that he will come out. Another tactic that they're trying is police divers in the dams nearby in the area here, so they really are pulling out all the stops, giving it one last crack, in their words, in hopes of breaking this young man home.
Speaker 1: And just looking at the map, now, Bianca, that's extraordinary. Is it a drone playing messages from the family. That's incredible.
Speaker 17: Yes, this isn't the first time they've used a tactic like this, but it's definitely something that is a new technology that they're trying out. And they have got messages recorded from finn Caill's family members in hopes that he hears those they're playing them quite loudly throughout the bush lands, and yeah, hopefully it's something that will work in bringing him home here to his Carmel family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially if he has, as you say, the condition that he does. If he hears their voices, hopefully he's a and is around, he'll respond to that. Tanner Road is one of the sort of them. It's either off or one of the major roads that runs through the valley, isn't it. It's the one that runs right through right through out the back of Wallaston and les Murdy's. That's a that's a major, a major part of that, of all the houses through there.
Speaker 17: Yeah, that's right. And police also know that he doesn't have his mobile phone on him and he hasn't used any bank accounts, so they are confident that he would be in this area.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, Yeah, just runs off Ron's off Welsh Pool, Rhodeist this one. So it's yeah, well here's hoping. Hew you bi anchor, and thank you very much for the update and hopefully this this ends well for the family. Thanks for your chat with us, and we'll see your reports on nine and on six per hour this afternoon. Thanks Simon, Thank you, Bianca Carbony. So hopefully he's okay. This guy, so he does have he does have autism. That's interesting, isn't it using the drone to muse his recorded voice of his family to try and try to attract his attention. Bianca Carbony. I hope he's okay. The twenty one year old beautiful part of Perth, but it's the focus of a big search, sees volunteers police about fifty people looking for him, including the family. He was last scene at his family home on Tanner Road in Carmel, that's between les Murdy and Pickering Brook. If you have any information at all, please there's a couple of police numbers one three, one, triple four and the crime stoppers numbers are as well, which is one eight hundred, triple three, triple zero. Hope he's okay. Hope Fidden gets to come home. I'm Simon Baymott, thanks for listening. In a couple of stories, we're still chasing. I'll let you know earlier today that sadly Marley the Dingo, the white dingo that lives at the Bum Report, has passed away. A couple of blokes stung by Aaron Gage Jellyfishop in the Kimberlee. We'll talk about that as well. Thanks for listening. Gooday, seven and a half minutes past eleven o'clock, Thanks for listening in. We're keeping a poll today and we're getting close to one hundred yeses. Do you use fuel watch? Given them this is a rip off Wednesday when the prices go up. The yeses are ninety two and the nose and what are the nose? And the nose are The yeses are ninety two and the nose for forty eight? Thank you? So the yes have definitely stolen March. So a lot of our listeners do use fuel Watch, and they use it in conjunction with the seven eleven app they know that Costco is pretty cheap, or they just turn up on Tuesdays and Richard with the question of the day, Question of the year, Question of the decade. Richard, by the way, and he says, note if you'll watch if majority of the fuel stations increase price at the same time, why is it not classified as price fixing or price gouging or car tell at work? Richard. It has amazed me for decades. Fuel Watch is just a monitoring system. Looks like a lot of our listeners do use it, but God only knows, mate, If I don't know how that is not a contravention of some parts of a consumer law, It's a mystery. I raised the question with Darren earlier today. Did Collingwood get a good run of the umpires on Monday? In the King's Birthday MMD clash? Darren says, I would tend to agree with you, Simon, I tend to agree with you what it's about colling and the umpires. However, you play by the umpire's decision, says Darren, playing a straight bat. Thanks, it's a yes from me on fuel Watch with Christine with a couple of kisses. Thank you, Christine. I feel watch yes, says Brian Prospecting asking the question today, Milsey and Carl spoke to a couple of fellows who'd found one hundred and sixty thousand dollars gold nugget in Sandstone, and I'm asking the question today, what are you using these days? What's the kit of choice if you are looking for a nugget? What's the latest bit of prospecting kit called? Michael says, you can go prospecting in spillit. Plenty of nuggets there, says Michael, with a little overflow sewage joke there. Andrew says, there's a crash on Scarbo Beach Road westbound just after Power Street to he's on site. Thank you, Andrew. How everyone's okay? Know from Paul on fuel Watch, Thank you Paul and Aileen, who is our voice of reason.
Speaker 28: The voice of reason.
Speaker 1: Aileen says, I was amazed at the story of the searching drone being able to broadcast the message in a familiar voice, and hopefully the missing person will recognize that. It's just so good. Regularly here about how technology can be misused, but this is such a positive development and we need more of it. Thank you, Aileen, Thanks for your thoughts, Thanks for listening. He is hoping this young fellow, Finn is able to respond in a position where he can respond. He's autistic. He's hoping we can find him. Aleen Andy says, if you go prospecting as a hobby, is there money from any gold you find taxable? Ann and Seanna looked this up on the ATO website. Andy, if your goal prospecting as a hobby, then you don't have to declare your earnings to us the ATO as income. Daisy Pierce last night was inducted into the AFL afl W Hall of Fame. She had this to say about the afl W Grand Final. So she won a flag a couple of years ago. Coaches the West Coast Eagles afl W team these days, but she compared winning a Grand final to the day when she had her twins. Have a listen.
Speaker 23: It's controversial to say this, but as a mother it's controversial, but it was the best day of mine. Don't get me wrong, They're the best thing that has ever happened to me. But on technicality, the day.
Speaker 1: Itself, Daisy Piers, that's a good life, isn't it the best the controversial best day of your life? Have you had a best day of your life outside of you know, outside of your kids or your wedding day? What has been the best day of your life? And is it just purely selfish and narcissistic and you know the best day of your life?
Speaker 3: What was it?
Speaker 1: One? Double three adady two. Daisy Pierce's was winning an afl W Grand Final when she was playing for Melbourne. What has been the best day of your life, perhaps controversially, if you have been lucky enough to have kids, lucky enough to get married, I'd say that in inverted commas, one double three A Daddy two, what has been the controversial best day of your life? Let us know it's twelve eleven and a half minutes past eleven here until or one o'clock today. We're going to talk about the ear and gadget jellyfish in just a moment, that one of the nastest bits of animal kit on the entire planet are only five millimeters across, and when they sting you at sometimes you don't get to the phone with these things, although there is a little delay after they sting you. Extreme pain, convulsions, sweating, all of that, all of the above, and feelings of impending doom and the fact that you're probably so painful you think you're going to die. The ere engadge jellyfish starting a couple of fellas in the Kimberly over the weekend, and we'll talk to a jellyfish expert in just a moment, Best day of your life? What's been the best day of your life? One double three at two or is it the birth of your kids? One double three at two is the phone number I'd love to hear from you. Ninety six yes is in the fuel watch question do you use fuel Watch? The yeses are ninety six and the nose of fifty will come back in just a moment. Just raised a little question earlier today and I did ask Jake Patrick. This, Jake, our news director, is a massive Collingwood fan, and I raised the question to Collingwood get a couple of fifty to fifty three kicks on Monday in the King's Birthday game. Colin and Karen's taken issue that would you be asking about the number of three kicks? It was fre out of the Eagles. Lots of times when decisions go against us, talk about bias. Karen, you're on top of the table playing great footy. I reckon, you've got a nice little run in the last quarter, and I looked it up for freeze four Collingwood four thirty two freeze against four to twenty eight. So you know, I'm just talking about that last quarter, Karen. I reckon, you know, best team in the comp, best footing in the comp, no question, But I reckon, you've got a couple couple of easy ones in the last quarter, just to my eye, just to my untrained eye. Thanks Karen. Yes, Bev says yes yes from me for using the fuel watch info. Thank you, Bev B. This is from Jenny. Good Jenny, with a nice kiss. I used fuel Watch, which is particularly useful on Wednesdays if I missed on the Tuesday prices. Yes, Bowie, they're still really cheap prices around on tomorrow though, lol. Some people might want to bring a pack lunch to head out to the northern suburbs. Thanks Jenny. Yeah, the independence do go later in the week. Thank you. And if asif, Good morning, Simon. I only fill up at Burke they are the cheapest every day, and I don't use fuel Watch. Jeff at Safety Bay Greetings Jeffrey, Yes, had five votes. Thanks for the show. Thank you, Jeff, thanks for listening. And Brad says, no, I don't use fuel watch. I run out, fill up, run out, fill up, I go full commando. More exciting that way, Thanks Brad. I think one double three eighty two. Good a mark, best day of your life?
Speaker 10: Yeah, good Simon.
Speaker 19: The best time my life was I batter it in the winning run for.
Speaker 4: WA in a national softball tournament.
Speaker 1: Did you really? Yeah, well done mate.
Speaker 19: What year was that and where were you another lifetime? That was eighty five eighty six?
Speaker 1: Yeah, where we're worst?
Speaker 19: I'm Victoria.
Speaker 1: Oh good.
Speaker 19: We played the Australia Games.
Speaker 4: It was the last Australia Games.
Speaker 10: Yeah, the worst day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 29: I managed to get through three berths.
Speaker 10: That was enough.
Speaker 1: They can be tough tough days. Thanks mate, cheers mate. Yeah, Daisy Pierce said last night winning the Grand Finals better than a better day than when she had her kids, which is funny and a funny thing to say. This is Perth today. I'm Simon Beaumont. It's eighteen minutes past eleven o'clock. It's one of the one of the nastest bits of animal and marine kid on the planet that you're engadget jellyfish and we have them in number in our northern waters. They have been seen as far south as the Ningaloo Marine Park. And yeah, there were a couple of stings on the weekend and it's I'll let Jess Strickland tell the story. She's a PhD candidate at Griffith and she's based up in Exmouth. I don't think you want to get Stumboy and ere engadgey and they're hard to see because they're only little good ags.
Speaker 13: Hey, how are you going one of.
Speaker 1: The nastiest things on the planet that you're in gadget, aren't they?
Speaker 13: Yeah, well that's what people say when they've been stung. It does not sound like a pleasant experience at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Interesting that you're Griffiths. But you are based in x Mouth, so I guess that means we are seeing them come out of the sort of the waters of the Kimberly, the Kimberly waters. We do see them down in coast a little bit, now, don't we.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 13: One thing to know about ercanjy jellyfish is it's not actually just one species. It's more a term that we give to a group of these Cuba zoans or box jellyfish that can cause this ercangy syndrome. So this sort of nasty set of symptoms that's characterized by sort of severe pain, muscle cramps, nausea, vomiting, hypertension. So the species that errikanjy was first described in Queensland, but the species that we get in Queensland and the Kimberly are actually different to the ones that we get on ningol A reef. There are completely different species. They just cause the same sort of symptoms.
Speaker 1: So what's the really little one called the five millimeter one.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so the smallest of the species that we get here at Ningoloo is called mallow bella, and it was only fairly recently described, so we're still learning a lot about it, but we sort of get it showing up along the Ningaloo and Pilbrio coasts from about March through to sometimes through actually until August, so generally are cooler months.
Speaker 1: I remember I've done stories on the jelly on this one before, and the Aaron kanji before, and the little one, and this this notion that it's so painful that and often a delayed reaction that people actually the pain is so immense that people think they're going to die. That's that's nasty.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's horrible set of symptoms. For some people, the reaction can be quite mild. It just depends on I guess how big of a dose of the venom you get. But on the other end of the scale, when people are sort of taken to hospital and given morphine, one of the symptoms that people report is an impending sense of doom. So just this sort of feeling of wanting to give up and the feeling that they are going to die in the world's ending. So yeah, really nasty out of symptom.
Speaker 1: I don't I can't recall that descriptor just being used with any other any other type of sting or buy it that's extraordinary is and I hope never happens to me, And I don't mind us. I've had a lot of swims at Cable Beach, a lot of distant swim so I hope I never cross paths with one. Jess with regards people sort of with the little ones with the box jellyfish in general, is there a season for them? And how do we warn people if they're around.
Speaker 13: Yeah, A good thing to do is just to make sure that when you're traveling to sort of northern coastal waters of Australia that you take note of the local jelly season. So I myself come from Queensland. Our jelly season over there is the summer months, but the Ningaloo and the Pilborough coasts we tend to get them, as I said, more sort of through our cooler months, so from March onwards, but even earlier into February. The best thing people can do is just by to protect themselves. It's just by covering up. So even just wearing sort of a lack of stinger suit, anything that's going to create a little bit of a barrier that will stop the stinging cells of the jellyfish being able to fire and delivered the venom that causes this sort of nasty set of symptoms.
Speaker 1: I think I've seen a photo with you in a diving the diving mask in the water with.
Speaker 13: One Yeah, yeah, that sounds right.
Speaker 1: He must really be a very dedicated researcher jes to do that.
Speaker 13: What's Yes, someone's got to do it.
Speaker 1: You think, Hey, what's what's the what's the point of them in the food chain? What do they do apart from sting people to the point where they think they're going to die? What do they do?
Speaker 13: Yeah, jellyfish, up until not so long ago, we're sort of thought to not be that important in the food chain, but we're actually working out that they have a lot of different roles. So jellyfish in general do actually make up a great prey source for a lot of animals, so things like turtles, sunfish, But they're even smaller fish are actually able to nibble on them and they get nutritional benefit from that. They are also predators themselves, so it's hard to imagine, but they actually do devour a huge amount of fish, but just very very small fish, but a lot of the larger fish we like to catch and eat. They do spend the early days of their lives as tiny zooplanks and drifting around the water being eaten by jellyfish, so they can also control some of those bigger populations of fish as well.
Speaker 1: So obvious question if a sunfish or a turtle does bite eat swallow in your own gange whatever species that it obviously doesn't sting them, they're immune to it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, So the neumatosis or the stinging cell that delivers the venom has this sort of very very tiny, microscopic carpoon structure, and with our soft skin as humans, they can puncture our skin and deliver the venom. But with the rough tongues of turtles and I imagine sunfish as well, they probably have evolve to have a sort of tougher surfaces so that it can't actually penetrate into the tissue, which is probably why they're not getting that that same sort of set of symptoms with the.
Speaker 1: Stings and with the prevalence of sighting. So I'm assuming you know, because we've got people like you in the water, we've got more eyes in the water looking for them. Are there more of them or just more sightings and you know, just a natural progression of having more people in the water.
Speaker 13: It's a good question. It's a bit of a tricky one to answer because research wasn't really happening into them up until fairly recently, so we don't sort of have these long term track records. We do have a lot more people in the water, obviously, and we do have a lot more recorded stings, but we also do have shifts in the distributions of most marine species as our oceans are changing and warming up. So it could be a bit of the case of they are moving, or it could also just be a bit of a case of we've now got more people and eyes in the water paying attention to where they are, but we don't really know.
Speaker 19: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I covered a story a couple of months Jesa a northern species of fish, and I'm just going to look it up. I often mispronounces it starts with K. It's a kobi or something someone like one of our list wass to know. But the biggest cobbe ever ever caught on a you know, like a ten kilo line was in Shark Bay and there was one quarter a couple of months ago off Rotto and these were known to be a Northern Waters fish. So the water temperature down our way is definitely changing, isn't it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 19: Is it a kobe?
Speaker 1: You're talking about khobia?
Speaker 15: That's it?
Speaker 1: Sorry?
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, yep, yeah, no, that's fine. People are recording all sorts of things showing up in places where they haven't been recorded before, and it is just, you know, we are seeing changes in our environment and our climate and our weather, but we are also seeing changes in animals showing up in different places around the world too, So yeah, yeah, it is. It is interesting and something.
Speaker 3: To keep our I on co b I A.
Speaker 1: I've somehow managed to get a silent kne there as well. Just he just keep up good work. How's life in Exmouth?
Speaker 30: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Beautiful weather today, really nice, cool but sunny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good place, isn't it.
Speaker 13: It's lovely?
Speaker 1: Yeah, good bakery, good seafood, plenty to do. Yeah, absolutely love Xmouth. Thanks just really nice to talk to you.
Speaker 13: Thanks nice to talk to you too. Have a good come on.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Jess Strickland PhD candidate at Griffith University, so she's based at a laboratory in Exmouth doing her PhD. And they are they are nasty little things, aren't they. So the waters are changing down our way. And we did cover that young boy catching the kobbi off rotteness, which ordinarily is a Northern Waters fish. The last the lot that's a thirty year record, it's around it was around about ninety kilos from memory, so we're waiting to have the world record ratified at this stage. Pete Pete, Carl's mate from the Fishing Show still holds the record, but we're waiting to have this other one ratified. So our waters, our oceans are changing. We've got more eyes on the water. We know about these down and Bremer Bay, the hot water events where the killer whales are proliferate, and we're just learning more and more about our oceans all the time. The Canden Sound Nursery for the whales, Ieron Gadge, jellyfish Ningaloo, Cobby being caught off coat. Sorry Kobia being caught off rottenest our waters and our ocean is changing all the time. One double three eight touty two good at Shane, It says Rick. Hello, Rick, the best day of my life was in six per hour and Outsimon Beaumont was returning. Thanks, Rick, You need to you need to get out of the house more, mate, I would suspect. And Bob Reckons couldn't come on air. Bob, but advisors against going for the cheap fuel outlets because they can stuff up your cars. Catalytic converter. Your cat premium fuel will fix it if you get into get to it in time. So Bob Reckons premium fuel, expensive fuel. It's better for your catalytic converter and true and Barclay style. She says big if true, which is one of Anne's signatures, saying big if true. Twenty eight minutes past eleven one double three a ety two petrol spies better than fuel. Watch Collingwood does not leave Victoria for the rest of the decades. There's another Rick. Jerry says, if your team is on top of the ladder, would you say they're treated more favorably by umpires? Jerry, I'm talking about the last quarter of the Melbourne Collingwood game. That's all I'm talking about. They've got a couple of really good umpiring decisions in a one point game. I'm not you know, I'm not talking about I don't want to talk about my team, Jerry, you know that. Thanks for your thoughts today one double three A eighty two and Troy has going on about the umpires as well about Port Adelaide and all that. I'm talking about the last quarter Collingwood Melbourne. I'm going to get Jake Patrick back in here as well. He reckons his team got a good run with the umpies. Also, Maye shouldn't have brought it up twenty nine minutes past eleven. Thanks for listening. Go talk to Rod Hogging just a moment. The World Test CHA Sampionships is about to start and we'll talk to Hoggy. Hoggi's a little unhappy about some of the decisions of being made by the selectors around the Australian eleven. So Hogy will join us in just a moment. They were short on opinion, Hoke is he listen of their on pers six PR the Stock Market reports Ohey Claire joins us from Shore and Partners we have heard early this morning, Oh and that Quandas are closing Jetstar Asia.
Speaker 8: Yeah, morning, so I'm in. Jetstar Asia are a separate business to Jetstar Australia. They're based in Singapore and operate on sixteen routes within Asia. They have thirteen planes and they are losing money. They're expected to lose around thirty five million dollars this year thanks to some pretty intense competition from other airlines in the region like Scoot.
Speaker 3: And Air Asia and via Jet.
Speaker 8: So Jetstar Asia will be gone by the end of next month and the planes will be redeployed into the local domestic market, where they're evident isn't so much competition. The decision will not affect Jetstar Japan, and Quantus aren't even the largest investor in Jetstar Asia. That spot is reserved for a Singaporean company called Westbrook Investments.
Speaker 22: The Quantas share.
Speaker 8: Price is down by just twelve cents today. They're now at ten dollars fifty. They cracked the eleven dollar marks for the first time ever last week, and there may be a potential takeover bid for a company that does building repairs and retail shop fit outs. They're called Ling Group Australia and they have seen their share price decline by over fifty percent so far this year. So Pacific Equity Partners think they may have found a bargain and they have been granted exclusive access to John Lying's books to see if Pacific Equity Partners want to make a formal and binding takeover offer. The John Ln Group share price has rallied by twenty percent today, they're up to three dollars and seven and Zip Money, who are a buy now, pay later credit business, have given their shareholders a positive surprise today. They reckon that for the current financial year that ends on the thirtieth of June, they will deliver cash earnings of at least one hundred and sixty million dollars. That's better than one hundred and fifty three million that they had been forecasting previously. Their business is growing, and it's particularly growing in the US, which is good for them, but it also means that more Americans are using credit to buy things, and that may say something about the state of the US economy. Zip shares are up over fifteen percent today. They're now at two dollars sixty seven and Pilbram Minerals who are now called PLS, have given an update about their pill Gangora lithium mine. They've increased the size of their lithium resource at the Mind by twenty three percent, so they've got plenty of lithium. They just now need the lithium price to go up. Pls yars have improved by five percent on today's news. They're now to dollar forty two, and the local share market is up yet again as trade talks between the US and China are reportedly going very well. The dowdjo's early one hundred and five points last night and the local law Ordinaries is a head by twenty eight points. We're now at eight eight hundred and forty, just forty points off the record highs set in February eight.
Speaker 1: Four zero Owei. Thank you mate, chat tomorrow. Thank you for the comprehensive wrap. Good on you. Jeff oh and Claire from Shore and Partners. Yes or no? Do you use fuel watch? We're about to raise the bat. The yes is a ninety seven and the nose are fifty. Cool bowie now on one double three eight eighty two. The World Test Championship Final gets underway at Lords tonight Australia versus South Africa. Who better to talk about this and the machinations within the Australian team in particular than Rodney Hogg form Australian fast bowler, bunker specialist, golf bunker specialist, day Rodney Hoggy? How are you?
Speaker 3: It's funny to say who better to talk to? I was just having a coffee you at Cherry Alderman and the phone rang and Sean said can you come on? And I thought her better meant to talk that would have been Terry or but he refused, or said Terry, you want to talk to them? And he said no, no, he said he's with the ABC.
Speaker 10: So you've got me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the big game tonight, both teams very underprepared, obviously, with not much cricket, a little bit of a little bit of talk about how they've been practicing in the nets. The nets don't give you much much form today, I don't think. But apparently Labachett in really good form in the nets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that I mean he's going to open Oh what do you think about that?
Speaker 3: Well, it's an absolute joke, isn't it? Like he's he's probably out of form, hasn't made a he's got a couple of seventy three Test matches a game, but apart from then, his last thirty twenty five games he's been very, very average at three. So all of a sudden it gets promoted to open the batting. But it's a boys club Australian cricket team, so they didn't want to give Concerts a game. And we see English as being left out after getting a century on the booster, but that was always probably going to happen with English because head out in the bank, then head has to come back to five. It's a pretty settled side. The Australian side is a very settle side apart from one of the opening batsman in the number three spot. But it's an extremely good side apart from those two positions. And Cameron Green can now get his position at three and stamp. He's probably stamping himself as a number three and then and then at the end of probably next summer will be looking for a couple. Well, we were looking for one because Kowage is near the end of his career. But it's going to be a big game and Lords is a sort of thing. What's a huge game. But they've had a very easy run. The last two years of only played Sri Lanka and Bangled Dish. They haven't they're not really a great side, but they have got a couple of really good bowlers. And if it's overcast conditions, Lords is an interesting place because if it's funny, you're going to make runs. If it's overcast, it's going to swing around and seem So it's not the pitch so much at Lord's, it's the conditions above. So you could be in, you know, could be an overcast day and you get sent in and all of a sudden you're two for two for nothing, and then you're up against a little bit at Lords.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Robarta's the danger with the clouds are the clouds are overhead? Isn't he?
Speaker 14: Is he?
Speaker 23: He?
Speaker 1: Hoggy, No doubt about that. Our bowling line up, you know, pretty settled, come and start lyon Hazel. They pretty much picked themselves. Do you like bow Webster at six Hogy?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he's locked. He's locked himself in there. What an interesting spy. I was singing the other day, going back years and you had Bradman saying the slips and Hasset and they're both have met five foot two and there you've got blasonally seven foot in the slip, so there's don't snick into the slips boys, So they fik you do not snick into the slips because you're and then if you had have had Mitch mars here, you've got three giants in the slips taking up that area. So Webster is an automatic selection. Now he's got that spot, and specially with Cameron Green not bowling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all eyes on, Lavishane. I agree with your hogy, And I guess you couldn't get the ball off the square sometimes in the last series, could he? But I guess you know, I guess he's there for his senior already in his experience. I can only imagine. And Cam Green he's a bit of a gamble coming back in with with not much cricket under his belt. But otherwise it does it does look reasonably settled. It If you were a betting man, hogy, which way is this going to go?
Speaker 3: If it's I'd be having to look at the conditions that the You can look that up. What's it going to be like in London today? Is it going to be twenty five degrees and no clouds? If it's twenty five degrees and no clouds will win the Test match easily if it's overcast. Made bowl first, well, it gives them a bit of an advantage. But being a betting now, I look at their batting lineup, it's pretty average batting line up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: You look at We've got a pre set solid four, five, six, seven, eight nine sort of thing and now attacks. So it's a wonderful tackle. I mean, there's a bowl, a backup ball. It's unfortunate. He's just been in the wrong place at the wrong time. But those four bowls for Australian names and they're outstanding. So they just picked themselves every time of the week. And they're obviously from New South Wales, so we know it's a New South Wales centers.
Speaker 1: Hogy, it's not bad having Bowlin in the wings and Joshy English that show that reflects a bit of depth, I reckon. So I'm with you on that one, Hoggy. How does it work in a World Test Championship? Is it a duke ball because's played in England? Or can we use corooko barros? Do you know how that works?
Speaker 3: Well? I know there won't be any cooko brows. I assume it's still it'll be dukes. There's another got to read a ball. I don't know if that's still going it'll be dukes. It's it's not a cooko borrough in England, it won't won't be cooking. Yeah, okay, it's interesting. It's interesting like if what happens if England, why is it played at Lord's Why? I would have thought the team that ends on top should have the home ground advantage. Obviously you can't play that game in Australia in June, but I would have thought going top you should get the home ground avantage. But at the moment they shouldn't want to be played. They want the final to be played in England. Well can they do that if England make the at some stage make the finals, which would which could happen in the next time we played. But it's a moment in time for Commons. Pat Cummins has probably got the third most wickets ever by a captain of Australia and he's and we all said, you know, fast balls don't make captains, and here he is the third most wickets ever by anybody. I think Sobers might have a couple more and nim Ron khn't so he's third. He's got we won it last time. So the success of this bloke commons he's quite outstanding. I think he's pretty close to three hundred Test wickets as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the metrics are good, aren't they. It's on Amazon Prime Live at five point thirty for our listeners who do want to have a look just before we let you go, Hoggie and your head off to cuddle Terry Orderman and have another coffee. The soccer two to one with we're six in a row. Six World Cup unqualifiers in a row.
Speaker 3: Not bad, eh, Well we're very good, aren't we. Australia hand come back, you can come back and kept us next door coaches.
Speaker 1: We're good at qualifying.
Speaker 3: I know that.
Speaker 1: Have a good day mate, Rodney hog off having playing golf and having a cup of tea with t Aldermen. Don't you just love hockey Test, George?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 14: Dan.
Speaker 1: The World Test Championship Final will be on Amazon Prime from five thirty to night and it's a neutral venue and they're using their duke balls, which is which is a lot you know for which is an English cricket ball and the English used the duke ball really well in English conditions. It's long been the bane of Australian batting lineups, the duke ball, but we will be using it in the WTC Final because being played in England. No Crooka Boroughs in sight. It's a seventeen and a half minutes to midday if you want to call in. So here's the Australian leven Uzi Kawaja opening with Labash, cam Green comes into three. Big call Steve Smith, Travis Head bow Webster so good batting lineup. Webster will bowl at some poort. Alex Carey the best keeper in Australia at the moment, Paddy Cummens Captain, Mitchell to Stark, Nathan Lyne, Josh Hazelwood and the South African squad. For our South African listeners, Bavooma who is the captain. He's opening with Bettingham, Corbyn Bosch, Tony de Zorzi, Marco Janssen who can really play, Kashav Maharaj, Aidan Markram gun player. We are Mulda moved too, Sami Gid So that's still a squad at this stage. So the Australian eleven has been named, but that still a squad. We'll come back in just a moment. Hi, Hello, Chantell. Best day of your life?
Speaker 30: Hey, wellie, how's it going?
Speaker 1: Very well? Thank you.
Speaker 30: It would have to be when I got divorce. Oh yeah, the person I'm married was absolutely horrible to me, so I was released when the divorce was final.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Well, I reckon more good days to come for you.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 30: Definitely, yes, definitely, definitely. I mean I'm the octivist you are.
Speaker 1: You are an optimist? Yeah, thanks, thanks Chantell. See by Chantel, still a youngster and onwards and upwards for her. I reckon sixteen minutes to eleven o'clock to twelve o'clock. Thanks for listening in. We it's like the whole city of Bumbury is shut down today. We can't get anyone to talk about Marley the Dingo. The marine rescue people are out and about, the journos are out and about. We're struggling to the Mayor's not picking up. But Marley the Dingo, the albino dingo or the white dingo, who lives at the Bumbery Port at the Marine Rescue compound, has died on the weekend after living in the area for you know, or probably fifteen years or so. Thanks for listening in at least ten years. We'll come back in just a moment fifteen and a half minutes to midday. Thanks listening in. And Barclay, one of our gun production producers here has received a postcard yesterday from an institution and we're going to talk about that about that in just the moment that I've invited Jake Patrick and news director in for an abbreviated condensed to read this diegest version of yeh no, yeh no Jaco. So just Jake Patrick, thank you for coming back in the t move version of yen o Jacob. It is Jaco. Just yes, no answer if you will. You've been a long term calling with supporter yep, I would say su yes, okay, sorry, yeah, I didn't know if we were starting yet. No, no, see that red light as we started. You've been a long term calling with supporter.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Do you think in the last quarter against Melbourn you've got a good run with the umpires? Yes? All right, thank you Jake. That's all we will need it. That's it, that's all we needed from you. Thank you, mate. I'm going to ask me anything else? Have you received a post postcard in the post?
Speaker 14: I did?
Speaker 20: Actually I saw and holding that little postcard in her hand and I thought I just pulled one of those out of my letter box yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, thank you, Jake. So I don't know who I'm going to send it to, but yeah, and I'll tell us more about that, the very measured but happy calling, supported Jake Patrick. I'll just say.
Speaker 20: It's Scott Pendlebury, still sidebottom, just playing very good football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, just keep hold us list in the colm. Yeah, what about my chick? What the testimonium farmer? What about the bloke from North Albany?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: How good Sea gave Max Corn a bath on Yeah, on Monday? How good Sea?
Speaker 15: Unreal?
Speaker 19: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think, thank you mate? Do you use fuel watch? The yes is a ninety nine the nose of fifty and Barclay joins us. And you received the postcard in the post yesterday? Tell us about it? What does it say? Who's it from?
Speaker 31: Hello Bowie? I did, and so did Jake Patrick. He walked in looked at the post card in my hands. But I got one of those yesterday too, so it's very nice pot it's mostly blue it's got some little like Willy Wagtail kind of illustrations on the front, and when you turn it over it says it's blank, but it says send postcard for free to someone you care about. Connection is one of the best things we can do for our mental health. Share a memory, a story or something that's made you happy. When we can act, we feel better. And then it just got it's got a space for me to write in and the address and says sending you this postcard because I care. And then no stamp required. Australia Post supported Mail proudly supporting Beyond Blue. So it's a postcard I can send to someone for free.
Speaker 1: Isn't that nice?
Speaker 31: It is very nice thinking about who I should send it to. And as you know, I'm departing the team soon to start my big adventure. Yes, so I was thinking maybe I could send it in back to you guys and do a postcard from parental leave to me.
Speaker 1: Sean and James and everybody else.
Speaker 31: Yeah, if anyone else is left.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So just to read. So the question we going now? I have you received one of these from Beyond Blue and so obviously supported by Australia.
Speaker 31: Yes, So they must have done a recent drop. So from what I can understand, they send out five million postcards to rural and regional households across Australia each year. I don't live in a rural or regional area, so they must have recently expanded this to metro areas. And so I'm in Hocking, which is a northern suburb. Jake, I think I want to say he's in Carlisle.
Speaker 1: I think southeast Yeah, in a city, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 31: So I want to know if other people got these postcards, who they're planning to send them to. When was the last time you got a postcard? I can't even remember.
Speaker 1: Do you do it when you go overseas send a postcard back to are you still?
Speaker 17: Yeah?
Speaker 23: Yeah?
Speaker 31: When I was traveling, But I think I don't know whether it's just since since having an Instagram account, I can put my photos up for ever un to see, don't feel that that need to send a postcard. But I've been thinking about, Yeah, who else I could send this to? If if my lovely Nanas were still with us, I'd probably send it to them because I think they would really appreciate getting that physical postcard. But yeah, maybe I'll maybe I'll send it to someone who lives just down the road, just to surprise and.
Speaker 1: Delight who's coming in after midday today?
Speaker 31: After midday we have Sue McDougal.
Speaker 3: A M.
Speaker 1: How good.
Speaker 31: I'm very happy writing those three letters into our rundown very excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks am, we'll see Thank you so and Jake to of our team here at six PR received this postcard yes day. It's from Beyond Blue, been paid for by Beyond Blue, thanks man, and it's supported by Australia Posts. So it's been dropped into a letterboxes and you can send a postcard off to people saying you care for them and you're thinking of them. So it's a connection thing. One double three eight eighty two is the phone number. And do you still send postcards back home when you're overseas? It is nice to put up a Facebook post or an Instagram post or whatever keep people up to date with your travels and whatever you're up to. The postcards are nice too, aren't they really nice to get a postcard? Some postcards are beautiful, aren't they. They're taken by you know, framed up by great photographers. You know, if you send one back from New York or London or wherever you are. It's a nice thing to know that that will probably arrive home, well it used to. Do you still arrivee home before you did? One double three eight eighty two do you use fuel? Watch? The yeses are ninety nine and the nose of fifty. This one here from East it's Marie, I think in East Frio. Hello, Marie, I got a postcard today in East Frio, so that's the same one. They're beyond Blue Australia post one. Thank you very much, Marie. Nice to hear from you. Nat. Hello, NAT's I got the postcards from Australia post. I'm in the Dianella area. Thanks Nat. That's nice nice idea, isn't it? And it's a really nice postcard. They look like as Ann said, they're sort of an Australian caricature, almost a little cartoon that looks like a cross between a Willie Wagta and the Blue Wren, A couple of them on a branch with some honky nuts. On double three a eighty two Have you received that? And do you still send postcards back from overseas when you are away? One double three eight eighty two, so Sue McDougall will come in after midday today. She was named in the King's Birthday honors list and we're very proud of her. And she's been at the station for three decades, dispensing wisdom in a horticultural and gardening since now working up at the King's Park and Botanic Gardens, so working full time up there as one of the directors. So we're in good hands up at King's Park. But seil join us in just a moment, So get your calls ready about your garden and you might want to call in and congratulate it because this is it's big, I know all. He spoke to her on Monday. It's six minutes to midday. Sir McDougall will join us after midday today. She has been working at six PR for over thirty years and her contribution to the horticultural industry has been vast and immense. Working in King's Park these days, which is great for US West Australians knowing it's in Sue's capable hands up there. She's an ideas person and a creative and we're very very lucky to have had her at six PR all these years, which has been named in the King's birthday list as of Monday, so we'll have chatter about that. But your phone calls are most welcome on your home, indoor plants and outdoor plants. This one here from Paulie Day, Paulie, do you use fuel Watch? And Paulie's a no. Just go to Burke or Vibe and you will save money. Yeah, paul Burke is cheap, isn't it. That's the orange one penny of those around and we can raise the bat now on the yes. No, do you use fuel watch? James Chrek and you could find us a little ovation if you will. Here it is James. It's the Olympic Ovation. Listen eye. Yeah, yeah, you and I have tracked that down. Very good work by you, and I thank you. We've now one hundred yeses. Do you use fuel Watch?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: One hundred and the nose of fifty one and Bev says Hi Simon, Hello, Bev, Yes to your questionary fuel Watch. You're the one hundredth response. Bev. Yes, I send postcards from overseas.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: I received the same type of postcard yesterday, still thinking of who I'm going to send it to. Enjoying the show. Thanks Bev, enjoyed your correspondence, Thanks for listening in. It's one minute to twelve o'clock. Just to let you know we've got the final tickets to give away to the Wide World of Sports Team tonight. WW team are doing a live broadcast at the Subi Hotel tonight from five till seven. So Mark Skitter, Reddings, Will Scoey, Scofield, David Barrow Mundy will be talking all things football, sport and life tonight at the Subi. The Subi Hotel a one six prs pub of the Year for twenty twenty four. It's a RiPP up place. They're put on some food platters, throwing a drink on entry for you and three mates. How good is Wide World of Sport? How good is the Subi Hotel? How good? Six pre so drop down to see Skeidscoy and David this evening from five till seven. Should be a great night. Three floks who love a crowd and love showing off. Plenty of footy, sport and life to talk about tonight as we go into the World Test Championship Final, celebrate the Socaro's making another World Cup qualifier. Five to seven tonight at the Subi Hotel at the Swan Pub of the Year for last year a gardening home hord Culture with Sue McDougal am HELLOSU. Congratulations. What pretty good?
Speaker 14: Is that I'm still not used to it, Simon, haven't. That's the first time I've actually heard it from introductions, So it's so humbling, So yeah, so surreal. It's just been I cried, as you do. I know, I'm at the age that I cry at most things, Simon. You know, we do, don't really go to the stage, but yeah, it's just like I burst into tears because it's just so overwhelming.
Speaker 1: Emotion and typical of people who who do provide, you know, who are service minded and community minded, which you clearly are and always have been. You don't do it for the accolades. But it's still nice to be recognized, isn't it.
Speaker 14: It's really nice to have horticulture considered because I think that that is the forgotten skill that we all want to save the world. You and I talk about all the time. Horticulturists can help save the world, and I think it's just giving Giving significant exposure to horticulture is something I feel very proud to be part of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder if you know when you started out those years ago, when you're in your early twenties and you've come out of agricultural.
Speaker 14: College, no idea, no idea, and do you know interesting? I was thinking about that, and I was thinking. I was talking to a friend this morning about a young employee that she had, and she was saying, oh, she's young, she's I said, look, she just needs to fast forward twenty years because what you're doing twenty years ago is not where you end up and keep it as a learning step, and keep it as a step, whether it's a little bit sideways or just up a bit, or how you work where you want to be in twenty years time. Is something that when I say, nothing's forever, but embrace everything that you've got an opportunity to take. And even if you think at the time it's not going to it's not what I want to do, it will be eventually. Because as you and I have talked about, I didn't even know what a radio studio looked like. I had no idea.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, and I think the public broadcasting part it was a big thing, but the other thing takes a village to raise a child. So and takes a team, doesn't it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, certainly good team. You couldn't have done it on my own, EMA, so that couldn't done it alone. You know, there's always reality checks, there's always support, there's always you can't be in two places at once and challenging too.
Speaker 1: So I've been around you. Both you and I have had our challenges in this particular industry. But there's challenges too, And I guess you just got to stick to your values and what you think you're good at and what you know. I think old listeners value value your expertise and your kindness and your wisdom.
Speaker 14: Thank you. And I think we have to we have to think of long term, don't we. And I think that's just just something to live by all the time, is that you're doing it for long term gain. What am I doing this for? I'm doing it to benefit the plants. And if I can think I'm doing it to benefit the plants or for someone to have success, I think that's where you stick to your guns.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ultimately it makes people happy. And I guess we've come through a little boom period through COVID culture twenty twenty five percent up in terms of retail sales, design, all of that probably dropping off a little bit now. So so that's been good the last few years. How important horticulture is in Australian society when we were locked down, Yeah.
Speaker 14: Certainly was, and I know people who've still continued that. Not everyone has because I mean it's a phase, isn't it. You go through it and then but being able to discover that is really important and be able to carry it on, and also in the within the whole sphere of climate change and drying climate and extreme weather conditions, being able to have that skills, that base knowledge for skill set is only going to help resilient society, community and also a landscape as well. So just having a base knowledge, it's so true. So I think for horticulture, COVID was what leap frogged it, the knowledge and we talked about it at the Perth Garden Show. The knowledge that people have now on by adversity, the importance of that importance in the local environment. How adding to green spaces, whether it's a tree or a group of groundcovers or a few native plants around, just adds so much to local environment, which of course then makes everyone feel better, doesn't it?
Speaker 1: It does? Yeah, and again you and I talked about a lot. There's something you pass on to your kids. It's caring about the environment, one leaf at a time, isn't it? Dean says, awesome shows or as please advise and and congratulates Sue. We've always listened to us since day one. Her advice has always been a success. The best is yet to can't thank you, Dean, Thank you Dean.
Speaker 14: I hope the best is yet to come. Thanks for sure.
Speaker 1: What do you reckon? Has been the most asked question in the last three decades for you here at this radio station. Is it citrus fruit? Is it roses?
Speaker 14: Passion fruit? Situation changes? I never get sick of I never get sick of answering those questions and people ask me that. And the reason I don't is when people discover something new and learn, that's when they share their knowledge as well. So you come across something, it's a bit like reading an old book, isn't it. You read an old book, it's still got the same knowledge in there. And when you've just discovered it, it's like you're this, Why are you like of being a reform smoking? You tell everyone about it. Why haven't you discovered it before? So I think that I don't get sick of that, but.
Speaker 1: I should go through my not It is seasonal cyclict it and people are just discovering themselves whatever their question is. Alan, did I hi?
Speaker 19: Alan, Hi, Hi, guys.
Speaker 29: I just want to ask you that even is the best time to prom the roses.
Speaker 14: Interesting you asked this question because as I was driving down Kings Park Road yesterday, I'm thinking it's the well, today's the tenth isn't it of June? You know, first week of June, and those roses have still got some buds on them. They have not slowed down at all. So often, Alan, we a mid June and of June, particularly if you live on the coastal sandplane, if you live in the hills, end of July. But I think it's going to be closer to the to late June this year because we're just starting to get cold weather. The reason we pring the roses in the winter is the SAP's not flowing, less chance of canka. It gives them a chance to have a dormant period. It's so important to have that dormant period. There's no foliage on them. We can remove all the foliage, you can clean up any insects. You can give them a cover spray of whiteall or lime sulf get them set up and get them ready as soon as they start to burst out for their new growth in spring. So I'd be pushing it back a little bit, that's for sure.
Speaker 29: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Thanks Allen, thanks for call. Hi Martino, Martin, how are you good, Simon? Is that yeah? Yeah? Far away mate.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I've got a question pursue regarding as with Leanna.
Speaker 14: Yes, that's a great. Yeah.
Speaker 10: Well, it's a beautiful plant, the first one we put in diet. So I replaced it because I'm so impressed with it. And it's been in about three years now and it's about two point five meters the three slim and it keeps dying back from the top. And when I put the branches off, the little ones off, they're very dry, so I thought maybe lack of water, but that's not the case, and it still puts out new growth from underwear.
Speaker 4: I cut it.
Speaker 12: Yep.
Speaker 10: I don't don't know what's wrong with it.
Speaker 3: So Martin, where do you live in Kingsley?
Speaker 14: Yeah, you don't get any blast of sea breezes or salt winds or anything.
Speaker 10: Call it pretty well, pretty well secluded, yeah, from the from the strong windows.
Speaker 14: Can you just dig around the soil for me? Is the foliage slightly yellow? I know it's a gray green foliage, but flige slightly yellow and any green veins?
Speaker 10: Uh yeah, maybe a little okay.
Speaker 14: So kingsley in certain spots, not everywhere, And it depends on checking that soil. pH depends on what the soil, the use of the historical use of that soil was where you are. But I'm suspecting that there may be some iron deficiency there, and particularly for that new growth to burn off when it's not shooting away, because Websteriana is a heart leaf. You collect it. It's just actually a gorgeous small tree. It's a great one for small gardens. What I would be.
Speaker 10: The councils recently just put something along.
Speaker 14: Nice, really nice. So I'm suspecting that there may be a problem with if there's no you know, they don't usually get affected by half ustros soil there are you, so they're pretty well, they're pretty tough. I'm suspecting there may be some iron deficiency there just with that slight yellowing and so keylated iron over the foliage and they're sending out that new growth. Will help strengthen that new growth for you as it comes through, particularly if it's starting to shoot away again. And when it comes up to summer. Dig around now to see what the soil's like. I mean, I dug in my garden on Sunday and I've had a little bit of rain. We haven't had lots, but wasn't very far under the surface and it was bone dry.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 14: Dig around and in summer, be honest with yourself and say, okay, how much water does it get? What's the soil like around? Is there another tree around rubbing the moisture from that tree? And just measure how much water it's getting. If it's only getting half a letter of water while it's getting established, trying to send out new growth, half a letter is not worth it. So just see that beautiful new growth that's coming through. But keylated iron around water and can over the foliage and around the root system. At this time of the year, it's not going to hurt at Martin.
Speaker 1: Ye right, great, thanks Martin, Thank you very much for you call simming Google. Oh I am with us today eight a minutes past midday back in just a second if you want to call soon. Now is a very good time. One double three. Sir McDougall was named in the King's Birthday Honors list today and we're very proud of her. She's been at six PR four longer than she cares to remember. I reckon, David says, good afternoon, So congratulations, you are a very worthy recipient. Thank you, David. And I guess I've got a little bit of audio for James and Sanda place Now. The industry has changed since you've been involved, Sue, and this is a blast from the past.
Speaker 29: It protects plants by descrewing pests.
Speaker 1: I gave us place bag, even caterpillars, alm seal and.
Speaker 14: He's probably talking about or get a phosphate or something flora pera foss or something that's now now medicine stocks that's now totally banned. So it has changed.
Speaker 1: He was one of the fore runners, wasn't he one of the fours?
Speaker 14: Very much and probably inspired people to start to start looking at the backyard as a garden and then as their own space. Before there's always you grow plants any only good good flowers or collieflowers what I used to hear from quite a few of time gardeners. But there was a reason for growing things, and then there started to be that ornamental, ornamental lifestyle.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, I've got we still have lacebugs, lacebugs.
Speaker 14: We do have lacebugs. But lacebugs are actually beneficial intact. So you actually want you want, you don't want to knock them off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because of you, I've got a houseful of spiders and lace bugs.
Speaker 14: That's my fass.
Speaker 1: Your gift to me. Good vins. Okay, I guys, here we go on, good vince.
Speaker 32: Look, I love my garlic, and last year I didn't get big bolts under my garlic. This year I planned another sixty plants, absolutely magnificent.
Speaker 22: At the moment.
Speaker 32: From there about, I'll probably foot and a half high, nice and green, beautifully looking. How do I get to the next level or next step to get the big bolts underneath the guard? Unfortunately?
Speaker 14: That yes, that's what's happening. You probably felt like you're growing leaks in a way and missed out on the bulb. So the key is what we want to do. The key is keeping them nice and strong and healthy, get them growing through winter, the cooler months, and they probably took off fairly early because it has been quite warm. So at the end of August, so in ten weeks time, that doesn't feel that long away. If you can start giving them a complete fertilizer, give them the key complete fertilizer at the moment with some potassium, but start feeding them with high potassium or sulfur to potash at the beginning of August, then beginning of September October, and then by the time we get to November, they'll be starting to die back. And what we want to do is get the potassium is going to strengthen the stems, which sounds like you've got, but also put the energy. You encourage the plant to put its energy into growing those bulbs, which is really important. The other thing that we need to think about is a variety of garlic that you've grown things. One has got really strong, tall stems to what we call a woody garlic, and the other one.
Speaker 1: Is much softer, so.
Speaker 6: Purple garlic.
Speaker 14: Plan Yeah, okay, so if you really want to get into garlic, there is a book that Penny Woodwood has written, Australian Lady about garlic and it talks about all the different varieties, but the basis of it growing them in Western Australia is we add hypotassium fertilizer at the beginning of August every four weeks until beginning of November, depending on if they're still growing or still green, and that depends a little bit on the season. If it heats up really quickly, you're going to have to keep watering them because that's when they haven't finished their process right.
Speaker 32: And then the last question is that is there a club in Western Australia you can join about fruit trees and how to grow on.
Speaker 14: What to do?
Speaker 32: Is there any club in.
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 14: So?
Speaker 16: Is that?
Speaker 14: Actually it's actually a really good question. So gardens societies and clubs. I think they have a website. They have a list of all the garden registered garden clubs. The other thing is, Vince, if I wish you, I'd bring your community engagement officer or someone from your local council or your local city, because there's often community gardens. Those community gardens do you often have a group who support that and they may be able to help you or not put you in contact someone who can then help. But garden societies or garden societies and clubs. Does have a list of all the registered garden clubs in w A.
Speaker 32: Terrific, Thank you very very much.
Speaker 1: That's okay, good Vince's from Miranda. Sorryicon City Sterling will certainly and.
Speaker 14: City is serving. As you know, Simon are very active, so very active in community gardens and the environments. I'll definitely put Vince in contact with.
Speaker 1: Someone who can help. Good luck to your Vince. There's lots of community gardens in the city stilling as well as one around the corner from me.
Speaker 7: Good a, David, Yeah, good, congratulations, so thanks. My questure relates to some mandarin trees that I've got in pots adam in potts for a few years, but I rid of some yellow and leaves.
Speaker 14: Yeah yellow.
Speaker 13: Or yes, yeah, okay.
Speaker 14: So what happens is with growing citrus in pots that feels like it's continually feeding, and citrus will take up whatever nutrients you can give them, and the nutrients are movable within the plant, so some are movable. If there's a deficiency in one of the trace elements alle of the macro nutrients, it moves to where it's needed. So at the moment, if there's fruit on them. It'll be moving to where fruits needed. When there's new growth, you'll find you start to get yellowing on older leaves. Does tell me that they need continual feeding. What I would be doing is putting a controlled release fertilizer for fruit trees on the plant and scratching it into the surface and then every two weeks is we're either going to use power feed or you can use fisher mulsion or one of those one of those liquid fertilizers over the foliage. What's left over around the root system, and those fertilizers are totally soluble, make a huge difference. What we don't want.
Speaker 1: Troforte fan Yeah, that's.
Speaker 14: A granulated for formula, so yes, you can use that as well. But if you use controlled release fertilizer, you don't need to use both. So yep, you can use trofote, no problem at all. You'll find the other thing. If they've been in a pot for a while, you can regenerate or rejuvenate some of that soil. So you take out about altera's volume of soil you put back into that area we've taken it. It's a good quality potting mix. With that, there will be a certain amount of fertilizer within there, but probably not enough to keep it going. They do also slow down their growth rate at this time of the year.
Speaker 7: Would they have damage the root system by digging out to do it?
Speaker 14: Well, you're not digging out of hebad dirt. You're only doing a volume Elita's worth, so you know, water bottle size is worth. Your back feel that you only do once and then in three months time you do it again. So instead of repotting, David, okay, okay.
Speaker 7: So slow release citrus fertilizer and then every two weeks some power feed liquid fertilizer.
Speaker 14: That'll fix it for you.
Speaker 1: Hey, Dave, where's mardella perfe?
Speaker 7: Mardella is located in between Munda Johng and serpentine.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, okay, cheers mate, Thank you, David, God's own country. Hey, thank you mate, David Ari David, Yeah, do you great? Great six PR guy. So you congratulations on your o IM. I remember chatting you with you after the Gardening Show early Saturday mornings when I'll be with Harvey doing talking property. That's a few years ago.
Speaker 14: All the best, and I remember David had a whole hedge of magnolia little gems that he needed to keep looking godous all the time.
Speaker 1: Hey, David, thanks for listening and I always appreciate your support and your thoughts. Thank you, mate, good a John.
Speaker 29: Hell, So, I just want to enquire about nodding violets. I'm real in looking for seeds and there didn't seem to be anything named nodding violets. Has it got another name?
Speaker 19: Yeah?
Speaker 14: So if you're looking for there's actually common names. So if you're looking for the the plant that's got almost a succulent, slightly hairy leaf and it's purple and it grows in a hanging basket, is that the one that you're thinking of? That strapt carpas that's straptor Carpus John, And you won't get it as seed, but you might get it as a hanging basket in spring if you head to your local Gunden center and say I'm looking for straptor carpus and I want to get a hanging basket form. The reason they don't tend to be grown very much anymore is they're so brittle, so transporting them is a bit of a nightmare for a Gruden center for a grower because they break off very easily. But straptocarpas is the name you need.
Speaker 29: John, what's the best time to strike from it?
Speaker 14: At the moment, if you can find one, you'll be able to put in a glass of water or send out roots almost in three days time. That's what normal. That's what can happen, particularly inside it's a bit warm and a bit light next to a window. The other thing, as it warms up, always in always in the warm months, you'll find you'll get a bet at straight ray.
Speaker 29: Right now. The other question I got, I want to espelliate a lemon tree. What's the best one? Eureka?
Speaker 3: Long?
Speaker 14: Yeah, Eureka is because continue fruits. It's a strong grower. It does really well in most climates and you'll get you'll get one or two fruit. You have a fruit on most of the year round.
Speaker 29: Oh good, yeah, all right, Well, thank you very much for your help and congratulations on your efforts.
Speaker 1: Thanks John, Thanks John good on. Yeh, we had a lot of correspondence on that too. And I stay corrected to Naranda's in the city of Bayswater. Thanks letting us know. I just assumed it was in near Diynallosis. Assume it was Sterling. Congratulations so so deserves sid Jeanine, Thank you, Janine, Thanks everyone, thanks who for listening in and from on behalf of all of us or from all of us. Sue worll done. We're very proud of you. We're lucky to have you, and I'll see you in a week's time. Hey, I look forward to it.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Sue McDougal. Am back next Wednesday, Home Hordic Culture and Gardening World. Done, Sue, we will come back in just a moment. It's twenty eight minutes to one. It's taken us a while, but I reckon. We finally secure an interview with someone down in Bumbury who can tell us a bit about Mali the dingo, the white dingo, the albino dingo from bum Report. It's been kept in the marine rescue compound has passed away on the weekend. Staateustening one of my mates, Sir Hendo down and Bumbri let us know this morning sadly that Marley the dingo that lives at the port has passed on over the weekend, and will go down to Bumbray to get the very latest on that sad story. But a domesticated dingo that brought a lot of joy and a lot of pleasure to Bumrie locals. Let's take pause and go to our newsroom here at six pr A very good afternoon to John Nichols.
Speaker 28: Thank you, Simon, good afternoon. The Coalition claims Labor appears to have lowered the threshold for imposing sanctions in its decision to hit two Israeli ministers with travel bands and financial restrictions. Australia has joined four other nations in sanctioning the far right ministers who were accused of inciting violence against Palestinians in the West Bank. Major crash officers are looking into the cause of a fatal truck rollover and the whek Bult locality of Mullia Beni. A sixty eight year old man died when the semi trailer he was driving left the road and crashed about three yesterday afternoon. The Water Corporation says it's still working flat out to sort out the mess left by wastewater leaks and burst sewo of pipes in Perth southern suburbs. Clean Up continues in Spearwood and Beaconsfield in particular, as well as parts of Freemattle. After it all began last Friday. Western Forts youngster Ronan Leigh has re signed until next year. The twenty one year old winger, who played eleven under twenty games for Australia, has now made two appearances for the Force eighteen degrees at the moment, eight overnight party, cloudy and twenty tomorrow more news at one.
Speaker 1: Thank you John, And for our listeners that keep an eye on these things. We're going to move Nichols Niche to a Thursday, Hey, John, to give us all a bit better at more time, a bit of breathing space, a bit of prep time. Yeah, that would be nice, all right, Thank you John. C. Then hey, thank you John. Nichols be back tomorrow at around about this time with Nichols Niche. Well. News came through this morning from one of my mates down in Bumbary from Hendo that Marley, the much loved white Dingo albino Dingo if you will, that leaves at the bum Report had died over the weekend. Lee Smith is the manager of Southern Port's Bumery Regional. Get a Lee, that's some sad news.
Speaker 15: Good afternoon, Simon. Yes, it is some sad news and certainly for the entirety of the region to hear the news which which occurred over the weekend. Yeah, and I know a lot of people certainly are really given what's curred down this way a.
Speaker 1: Real feature, Maley, and I'm just looking through the notes this morning that the Marine Rescue guys are put online. Lee born in twenty ten in the Pilbor found, you know, found as a result of her mum having died as well, went into the wheat Belt for a while or into Harvey at least, and then found a way to the bum Report and has been domesticated and has attracted a lot of visitors ever since.
Speaker 15: That's right, Simon, Marley has And I think the other part that's important tonight too is that the Marine Rescue named their recent vessel after Dingo Mali. So Marley was a big part of the region and I know a lot of people certainly took a lot of Also the fact that we had a didn't go down there, which was a bit of an anomaly, but nevertheless it certainly brought joy to a lot of people in the region over the period of time that Marley was down around the port and marine area.
Speaker 1: I've only ever seen the photos. I've never seen Maley in real lifely domesticated, looked after by the Marine Search and Rescue crew in the compound there, and had a few dens around the port.
Speaker 15: He did too simon. There were a few dens around that were built by some some lovely locals and allowed him to sleep in certainly creature comforts. And there were a lot of people that did look after Marley. And it was actually interesting given at that point in time it was an active port region with a lot of bucks and the like. But Marley wandered around and did his thing, and I think importantly the people of the region brought a lot of joy and certainly for a lot of people a lot of hope and situations where they'd come down and sit with Marley, and he was a kind animal. He certainly didn't had any problems for us. I have fond memories myself where we had one of our ministers at the time come down and was certainly an advocate for the genetics of dingoes and the plight that they face him in the wild, and she was very thrilled to see Marley come out of nowhere and appear, and I think it was a great moment at that point in time, but we're all saddened by.
Speaker 1: The mere Yeah. Yeah, for sure. Did Marley just get oldly?
Speaker 15: Marley was fifteen, Simon, Yeah, I understand. I'm not up with certain our old dingos typically live for. But I believe fifteen is a very good innings and so Marley was well, certainly in the last couple of years, looking a little older, and belief passed the way peacefully out of the weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I saw some recent photos of Marley walking and yeah, clearly clearly an older animal and described as an alpine dingo, which is interesting given if it's come from the pilber just that particular breed I suppose, and very light in color, unlike the the desert thing goes that, you know, that sort of ready brown color that we see. Lee. There's a lot. It's been interesting to see what you guys do. Now I know the Marine Rescue. You guys are going to have Mali's remains cremated, which is a which is a nice gesture. But there's some calls from your local folks about having a statue.
Speaker 15: Hey, we have heard that, Simon, and I think you know really important. It's great, great that the Marine Rescue will do the dignite thing and allow for that to happen. We'll allow everyone to grieve in their their timing, Simon, and what there may happen in the future is something potentially for discussion, but at this point will allow those people to agrieve. He really was loved by the region and people in the region, so we'll allow that time to pass and see what presents thereafter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's some amazing sort of already. People have had to crack it doing some artist impressions of statues already, and he has, you say, real powerful impact and a lot of the photos Mali sniffing the air, looking into the early morning son alongside the water there. So it's an amazing, amazing part of the history of the port. Hey, the last fifteen years or so.
Speaker 15: It certainly has been and had a sad time, as I mentioned before. So I think it's time for reflection, and it's lovely to see all the photos coming through those people that are remembering Maley, and I think it's time to poords and remember and certainly reflect on the time of the fifteen ideas that Marley has had, but also the joy with which he brought a lot of people in the region.
Speaker 1: Thanks for talking to us at six prle thanks for talking to our listeners. Really appreciate your time.
Speaker 15: Thank you, Simon, my pleasure.
Speaker 1: Cheers mate. Lee Smith, the Southern Ports Bumbry regional manager, so left a mark on you know. All the kids used to go and visit Marley Friendly. Lots lots of pictures of Maley with other dogs, so it's seen to get on with other pets in the area. And yeah, been there since from what I can gather, been there since around about twenty thirteen, Pilbra Harvey Farm and then into the bum Report where it's lived where Marley's lived ever since. It is sixteen minutes to one o'clock. Love to hear from you today. I've got a little music question for you which James and I have cooked up and I'll bring that to you in just a sec Our Call of the Day today, can win a couple of tickets to go and see Blowing in the Wind when it plays at the Regal coming up shortly. There's a little bit of music from the era as well, so Johnny Cash is in there and others. So I'll let you know we can get your tickets, but we're going to give away some tickets on the show today for Blowing in the Wind the music all featuring the music of Bob Dylan. Stay listening. We just played Tina Turner, We just played Simply the Best is our cue to call. And on the line we have John good a John Good Simon. How are you going very well mate, and I'm hoping to give you a couple of tickets to a double pass to the state of origin next Wednesday night. What's the code word, mate, lose? Yes, yep, well awesome American cheerleading group there. So it's called stockh audio is it? Yes? Yeah, well done mate, Hey, yeah, well done John. You're a fan, you're an NRL bloke.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I do love the passion of the games.
Speaker 1: Play brilliant Yeah I do too, mate. Yeah. The Blues up against the Queenslanders. This week's double pass make game two Wednesday during the eighteenth of oppoice. Are you're taking?
Speaker 15: I'll probably My young son is nine?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Nice?
Speaker 27: Oh?
Speaker 1: How good? Yeah, well done mate.
Speaker 15: I'm gonna yeah, awesome, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: You're welcome, mate, I've got a nine year old. There were a good fun head to They talk a lot though. Head to NRL dot com to secure your seats today and for a chance to win tickets days sing the six pr all this week the ample state of Origin. There's nothing like it. I wanted to ask you a musical question. Olie will come in and preview Perth Live. It was on this one's having a birthday today she turns seventy seven. You may have heard her mention in the Brecky Show today she was married to Ross Wilson for a period of time. How about this song? You can hear Ros Wilson's backing vocals and all of that. So asking a question. They in the brief period of time we have led one hit Wonders Australian one hit Wonders. I can't remember Pat Wilson's second song, can you? That was nineteen eighty three Bob Girl Ringers Australian one hit Wonders. Pat Wilson, how good wonderuble three eight and two one hit Wonders. They need to be Australian. If you will give us a call, we might win Call of the Day, which is a double pass to go to the Regal Theater to see Blonde in the Wind Music tribute to Bob Dylan to Joan Baias and to Johnny Cash and you can win that today by bringing in one Hit Wonders Australian one Hit Wonders. We're running our poll today which we started at nine o'clock at today. Do you use fuel? A watch today's rip off Wednesday as described by Stephen Moore Moyer from the Motor Trades Association the Yeah, it's the day that we pay more for our fuel. And I was asked I have been asking the question do you use fuel? Watching a lot of other listeners do, but yes, as one hundred and six and the nose of fifty eight, A lot of people use the seven to eleven app, a lot of people go to Costco, and a lot of people to simply do their petrol and diesel shopping on a Tuesday. One Hit Wonders Australian One Hit Wonders Today, Andrew.
Speaker 22: Afternoon, Simon.
Speaker 10: Yeah, one spring straight to mind. Is the Swingers counting the beat?
Speaker 1: Yeah that's good mate, I like that they. I think bones Hiltmon was in that band. Wasn't the bass player? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks Andrew. Keep up the good work mate, good to hear from it. Andrew from Scarborough.
Speaker 27: Here we go string about you, thinking about me, singing bout you, going with me, thinking about me, shoot as me.
Speaker 29: Love that.
Speaker 1: Love I think really coming through that mix, Bones Hillman, the Late Bones Tilman. He went on to play bass at Midnight All for about a thousand years. Thanks Andrew. One hit Wonders Australian one hit Wonders. Hi Glenn, Hey, yeah, good mate, what do you got.
Speaker 10: And it loves?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think that's one hit. Yeah it was one hit wonder Yeah, yeah, Thanks Glenn good Man for.
Speaker 26: Right sann I can't sleep bad night. One around you, No, I'll run from you this thing love you given us and I gave you the boy could give you Take my dear.
Speaker 1: The one hit Wonders Australian one hit Wonders. It's Pat Wilson's birthday today. Thank you Glenn good Man, good I, Gary.
Speaker 33: Good I, Simon Jians No. One's Alison McCallum superman and just quickly I'm pretty sure she was the wad thing on that time. That's it's time commercial.
Speaker 15: For the election of the workman in goverment.
Speaker 33: Thanks very much, as jeers.
Speaker 1: Thanks mate, Oh look that up Gary thing. Alison McCallum. One hit wonder heard of it? Yeah, yeah, nobody's my and operates like Gary's is it from?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Wow? It's just yeah, you must have a lot of fair Yeah yeah, I Gary scom I think good a Colin Yeah good? Some here going good mate? One hit wonders Australian.
Speaker 33: I reckon a great song.
Speaker 3: Paul Norton, stuck.
Speaker 1: On you, Paul Norton. Stuff you might have you might have me covered here, mate, I don't know if I know this one great. Definitely Australian.
Speaker 15: Definitely Australian.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right mate, al right mate, here.
Speaker 19: Goes around singing with a big troop, does he?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yell miss I'm stick gone. Yeah, yeah, sounds Australian. James Rainish, that's right. Here we go that Ollie. That's good, isn't it?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How are you going over there?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 28: I'm all right.
Speaker 8: You are right today?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Good today? Good today. I see the I see your sewerage is still floating around the place. Mate. It's a bit shitty, isn't it, Simon? Yeah, it is twenty thirty A third of our water will be recycled. You need to tidy this up a bit. What about some of our listen I don't know if this came through when you've been covering the story some of our lessons saying, well, if we go for urban infill and build so many houses in congested spaces, it's going to put some strain on our sewerage pipes. I don't know. I don't know if that's true or not. I'm not an engineer. I don't know if you noticed all of it. But I'm not an engineer.
Speaker 34: Well, they might need our help, Bowie. Maybe we should do that, you know. I should do it in the morning. You should do it in the afternoon when you knock off, go and clean the pipes.
Speaker 1: Do what Millsy always suggests. A busy bee. Yeah, he's a very busy bee. And he wanted a busy bee to build the stadium.
Speaker 10: Yes he did.
Speaker 1: Even the mind that you can take the boy out of Cowgooley. What do you have for us today? Is nuclear power?
Speaker 34: The debate in Australia is it done, coporte dusted, it's on the shelf, is it?
Speaker 1: I think so? I think so. I want to test that country. Don't have a problem with it.
Speaker 34: Well, that's that's what's interesting.
Speaker 14: End.
Speaker 34: I told us yesterday that the Starmer government in the UK, so labor government going and spending tens of billions of pounds on more nuclear power reactors. And obviously we've just had an election where that's been you could argue wholly rejected by Australians.
Speaker 1: But is that it?
Speaker 34: So I want to look at that a little bit this afternoon, Bowie. We'll do that this afternoon on Perth Live. Will be joined by Jason Fairbee, another one of your ex's.
Speaker 1: Well, I get to talk to him briefly as he walks past. Yes to go to the studio with you for half an hour. So we going to ask him should I buy a new car? Good question going to ask him because he always says to me, don't save money by staff and my experiences. So he brought it. He bought a Tesla. I've had my issues. You buy tess like he does at the shop.
Speaker 34: At the moment he puts, he puts the like before he leaves, he turns the air on on. So when he gets in there it's nice and cool.
Speaker 17: A bit of a waynker, isn't he?
Speaker 3: Yeah? He is.
Speaker 1: The years of it, the years a bit or one to five today will be listening. You're in Career Best Form and as a reminder that get down to watch the boys tonight. It'll be good at the Subi Hotel, it'll be unreal. Scoey Skeet Paps is there as well, Dave Money and Dave Monday and Jacko is.
Speaker 34: Well at the swan Gold Pub of the Year twenty twenty four. Jamie Bernett did a great job with that, and I'm sure the boys will enjoy themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm friends with him as well. I hope you don't Berne. Yeah, he's not with me on a Thursday. Oh yeah, anybody Jimmy, you want to join me? And do you use fuel Watch?
Speaker 3: Olie?
Speaker 1: The final word to you if we will yet?
Speaker 34: The yes is one hundred and seven in the nose of fifty.
Speaker 1: You use it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I like it.
Speaker 1: Look the system I don't like.
Speaker 34: I'm with you one hundred percent the seven day cycle, but feel watchesn't designed for that, right. It's on the price, but it should have he should have more teeth. But I do like having a look and seeing I can save myself twenty cents, so I will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, thanks mate, Joe. See Oliver Pederson in Career Best four one to five with Perth Live. We'll come back and let you know who's won our caller of the Day today on the show tomorrow, Law Talk with Nick Maruchak, Pet Talk with Mel Kriddle and the Beautiful Mind of Mick Collis. That's all from nine tomorrow. Chris, Thank you, Yes, soft Seller English. Thanks Chris Weld, spoted mate, always happy to stand corrected. Do you use fuel watch one hundred and six Yes is fifty eight nos. Our call of the day today, Mark, on the best day of his life hit the winning run in the Australian Softball Championships. Thank you Mark, caller that you won. Blown in the win. Tribute to Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Joon Bias is the Regal Theater on Friday of the twentieth for June and the Impact Mandra Thursday of the nineteen ticketech thanks to Mario Mealo Promotions. Back tomorrow at nine See then