Speaker 1: Well, it was only four days ago that the leader of our game, Andrew Dillon, announced a major restructure in his executive team. As we go to where tonight, one of the two new positions has already been filled, with longtime Brisbane Chief executive Greek Swan joining AFL House at the end of next month. And as we're about to tell you, the league headquarters is closing in on position number two. Get set. This is fully classified. Good evening everyone, and welcome to fully classified significant news. We begin with tonight with change of foot at AFL House. Let's get into it. Our panel has assembled. We start with the longtime newsbreaker, one of the best journos in the country, Damian Barrett, Damo, great to have you, exampt the triple Premiership player, the enormous fifth medalost the bran let made us, Jimmy Bartel Jim welcome you, even Exam and the Essendon legend himself, a man who is a twelve time leading goalkick at Matthew Lord Wardo, great to have you, thanks Am, Damia. We begin at AFL House and as you just heard, one of those two significant positions has been filled Greg Swan. He's on his way from Brisbane. Yeah, we'll start in late July.
Speaker 2: Sam officially announced today had broken some weeks ago in the days after the debucle that was the Luckey Shul's concussion fallout and the communication issues the AFL had on that Greg swan here on Grand Final Day twenty twenty three and then how happy at Greg swine run Grand Final Day twenty twenty four. But he's got a commitment to review the entirety of the Football Operations department. He's going to have a particular focus on the Match Review Office and the tribunal setup and also the umpiring department. Has been a universally well received Sam, which is unusual in a football appointment itself. But Jimmy tell him, I mean you're the most recent involved that club. Leve will tell him look down the barrel and tell him what he needs to do.
Speaker 3: First, I think you start to touch on it. Give Chris a proper matrix to work with. We all agree that the matrix is not working, especially with the football and non football acts. We can't have situations where we're going that's going to be zero or three weeks. That just reflects it's out of whack. So fix the matrix, give Chris O something to work with. Support your umpires and you don't have to say they're the best they ever been. You can support them and you can say, look, we're always looking for constant improvement. Bring the fans along with you, so stand in front of the microphone, be good in front of the microphone and the medium. Bring them along for the ride. It is the fans game. Talk to them about rules, talk to them about rule changes, what you envisage the game to be. And clubs act with strength and speed. I've written down here. Whatever decisions you make, do it quicker. Bring the clubs along, seek their advice, but still be strong enough to say no, but still be brave enough to say yes, depending on.
Speaker 4: What clubs you're talking with, or a holistic approach.
Speaker 3: And nnga's and academies, of course they're a big talking point, but they're separate points. Don't try and group them all together because father sons is different. Pull them off the shelf, pick them apart, come to a really good solution, a real neat solution with all of those, and I think we can move forward from there.
Speaker 5: Well summed up to you. Me and I think their clubs just want communication, the fans want better to be communicated better with Dame. How often can you see Greg Swan being put out there to answer questions I would say regularly.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then the clubs that I've spoken to today I've already said they want him to do that, just to nip things in the bar and to open up communications far better than they had been under the previous arrangement.
Speaker 1: So that's the second petition, that's Head of Footy. They still want the lookout for a COO. That has been a short list of three men up until tonight. Simon Garlic, I can tell you, has removed himself from contention, so it's now Tom Harley, who seems to be the overwhelming favorite the Sydney CEO. So we could have a situation where the last two Grand finalists in Sydney and Brisbane, both CEOs go to the AFL and a meet Baines, the Western Bolldocks Chief executive, also not out of the running.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there might be one more phone call mate to Stuart Fox of the mc gu mcc trust. He was a person of interest early day Sam and the ramifications. If it is Tom Harley and You're right, there is significant interesting as we speak tonight in him for the Swans with Dean Cox's struggles.
Speaker 5: We'll talk about that soon.
Speaker 1: We'll get to the Swan's soon, but first we're going to begin with the Hawks from a footy perspective. You've been hot on them for weeks now, a season in which started with so much promise. It feels like it's beginning to unravel. Is that too dramatic? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Not really In unraveling terms of winning the premiership. I think you're spot on. Now. It's about can they consolidate and try and make the finals. That's where it's fallen too. For Hawthorne. Yeah, turned up on Friday night, we did, and we were all talking about it, me, you and Jimmy. Actually we're talking about is this the night that Hawthorne turned things around? And they put up a fight for a quarter and that was it. They fell apart after quarter of time. And you look at the drop off. I think it's just not one thing, but we start with individuals and there's been a big drop off in so many and you look at the red that's a negative and I just wonder what baras and battle you know, I think they should have only taken one of them. And hindsight's not a it's just not a hindsight thing. I thought that maybe you put your feelers out for two, and I think they only I think that over walked it cooked. I don't think they needed both of them. You already had Frosty.
Speaker 1: Their were warning them earlier in.
Speaker 5: The year, both of them. I don't think. I think it's what it's the spinoff. I don't think they're playing well together as a group. And then this is system. So the criticism was they laid thirty eight tackles, but look at how many tackles they can't even get to because of the system of Collingwood or the most well drilled team in the competition versus a team that is at sixes and sevens where they don't know what to do. Do we come forward? Do we hold back? So they've got a backline who aren't connecting. They've got a midfield to me, who's you know, McKenzie's out of the side wards just not quite up to it. Warpole is he a B greater? Connor Nash is he a B greater? So with no will Day, suddenly they've been exposed with too much on Yukum, and then there's a forward line that suddenly you're going are they selfish? Do they connect well enough for each other? So there's a number of issues both six system and individually for Harb.
Speaker 2: The disruption of those acquisitions of Barasen Battle has impacted the captain James siss There is no dispute about that. Sam Mitchell was very defensive about that. Understandably, we get it. This is him last week, and then you've also got one of the greatest of all time, if not the greatest, lead Matthew's querying the impact he's having.
Speaker 7: No the groin's up on issue. He's I mean, he's working really hard on his game. I thought he played really well last week.
Speaker 5: He's he's.
Speaker 7: The thing about Siss is he's led us really well through at the moment. His leadership has been really strong through the tougher periods in particularly look at the last couple of years when we've really needed players to stend up.
Speaker 1: He's often been that guy.
Speaker 7: So I look at his leadership and I'm really pleased that he's captain of the club and that we've got him doing the things that he's doing. Has he played perfect footed this year? No, of course not, but no one has well.
Speaker 1: I think when you look at Hawthorpe and as a collective individually, I mean she's having a really bad year.
Speaker 2: And then you get to the post match after Friday Night's loss and this is a pictures coming out of the Hawthorne rooms. There was an hour long debrief of sorts and you can see the captain there. I mean that's understandable given his own form and only the for disposal he had in that particular game.
Speaker 1: And failure to impact Jimmy.
Speaker 2: What do you see when you see James Sisley in twenty twenty five to this point?
Speaker 3: Yeah, look at I think you mentioned the additional players, but I think he is one of many players where the opposition's gone to work and it's impacting his game style and that fastball tempo speed which I've highlighted a number of times, and Lloyd you touch on the stuff around the contest.
Speaker 4: For me, Hawthorne, the opposition's.
Speaker 3: Taking the speed out of the game and they're restricting the little easy release marks which when they get them, they put incredible amount of speed on the game. And that's why Dylan Moore is not getting as much of the footy. Imp and aim one of course, rebounding off half back and Brosio is another one.
Speaker 4: So sides are saying, well, we're going.
Speaker 3: To pick our poison here, We're going to foreship to kick long slow down the line, and where Hawthorne lacking a little bit is key forwards or big guys down the line. So they're taking the speed out of the game, and he's one guy in particular who is struggling a bit when the game is getting slowed down.
Speaker 1: The moment you see the right.
Speaker 5: Captain, well, you'd say, yetlast year I thought he stood up really well Sam when they weren't going well after five rounds, he came on and did an interview with us and was good. He spoke openly and he had a wonderful season. So it's too soon to say he's not the right captain. But I still feel he's very temperamental, so I don't think sometimes as a captain he's balanced enough for even that in the room. So I don't think as a captain you have your head in your hands after the game. I think that's not a motion. You've got to be strong for everyone. You get up and you get around and you start talking to others around you when it's different. It's what I loved about James Hurd was I would never have known what day he was having, whether he's having a poor day or a good day. He was just he was the voice of reason. He was the calmness in the room for us all. And I just wondered with Sister, I don't think he's a forward, so I think they've got to stop throwing him down there. He's a surprise forward. He's not a starting forward. And I just remember what Geelong did with Tom Stewart last year and how they helped get him back into form. I just wonder if you get him in the midfield rolling back, just surprise the opposition with how supporting James.
Speaker 1: There's more problems than just the captain, isn't there? Dade? Yeah, And we do start having conversations when things are going wrong about have they been worked out? Haven't listened to a couple of their opponents, first Brody my check from the weekend and then the superstar Jewel Brownlow medallist Locke Neil. We knew they were going to try and test our tackles tonight, so were.
Speaker 5: Practicing all week for the little slip of the elbows.
Speaker 8: We reviewed sort of their technique on how to draw the high free kicks. So yeah, we watched a fair bit of tape on them, and they've got a few guys that are really high in the competition, I think to the top ten for free kicks for high tackles. So we went to work on that and I thought we executed really well on the weekend.
Speaker 2: So as Jimmy and what I've already explained and exposed some of their secrets, other clubs are clearly picking up on what made them such a good team in that run home to the twenty twenty four final series. Have you got a solution for them? Can they change? Because it is hard to change in season and they need to change.
Speaker 5: By your report, I think they're far better than what they're showing. So Sat Mitchell, he's been lauded as a good coach. He's going to he's been challenged more so than ever before, and I think they can turn it around.
Speaker 1: Interesting to look back Jimmy as well on jack In, but we know at a great start on the weekend. I think he kicked three in the first half. This is the difference in from when he was playing at Collingwood to early days at Hawthorne, and when you look at it and listen to this through the prism of what happened on the weekend, it's fairly interesting.
Speaker 6: Collingwand's very structure system and it's very hard to be a forward at Collingwood. Sometimes there's a few dark days where you know you're just wearing the invisible cloak. But Hawthorne, which has been so great for me, you're allowed to be free and you can go and change over patterns and stuff. For at Collingwood you're stuck on one side and things like that.
Speaker 1: So Jimmy Lloydy one he's talking about freedom and the other one he's talking about system.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's a win win for both.
Speaker 3: If he likes to play with freedom and he thinks to Hawks give him that freedom and Collingwood I think when we need guys to play their role in structure and be in the positions we want. But what it pans out Lloydy for colling it is it doesn't matter whose night it is, but someone's going to hit the scoreboard. And Bobby Hill is one who he could kick four or five or it could set up four or five. And at the moment the hottest man is Jamie Elliott, so they give him the goal square when he gets the right matchup.
Speaker 5: Just on what he said though, like this is how well Collingwood are going. Hawthorne had one more inside fifty on the night yet lost by fifty one points and that was as much about system as anything. That's how far advanced Collingwood wor than Hawthorne. And even sam Mitchell said, that's the spread of goalkickers. They all play their role. Sam Mitchell said Brisbane or Good the week before, but what we just played was to another level. And that's just where Collingwood is at. And the full credit the Craig mccraney's coaching staff.
Speaker 1: Speaking of system the Sydney Swans, I can't believe we're saying this a bereft of system right now. In fact, they're bereft of quite a few things. And it's Scott Dean Cox, their new coach, using words that we haven't associated with the Sydney Swans for quite some time.
Speaker 9: It was unacceptable and embarrassing.
Speaker 10: As a football club, you want to make sure that you're as consistent connected and compete together.
Speaker 9: You know, I'm such a massive night for the footy club when you have a twenty year reunion for a team that played desperate.
Speaker 10: Uncompromising, ruthless football and that was that far from it.
Speaker 9: When it is true back and get to work real quick.
Speaker 5: Everyone, you can sort of feel it as a group. You know, we're all over.
Speaker 3: In the first half and you know that was sort of a bit of a rabble just hearing from.
Speaker 5: Them on ground. They are a proud footy club, the Sydney Swan, so it's doing a hard watch this year to see how far they've fallen. And to me, the area is that's a defense that's a real issue and that's where a starting point. So if you haven't got your stars up forward, you can still defend the ground and that was their focus in pre season. We've heard a lot about it from the players right throughout the year.
Speaker 11: I think the best sides in the world defend really well first and that's one thing that this club's always done and one thing whilst I'm here will continue to do. There'd just be some little subtle adjustments within that and the way we do defend.
Speaker 9: We in certain areas of the ground on the.
Speaker 10: Way we defend, you know, I think probably towards the back in the last year and certainly the last day was not the level we want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it comes back to defense.
Speaker 5: Loydy. I think in the first sort of half of the season we'll getting scored against too much and we sort of had to look at that and yeah, we really want to defend our fifty and defend the ground really well.
Speaker 12: Obviously we haven't defended the way we've liked over the last probably this season. We're not able to stop teams and previously in the past when we're making the same error as that intense and defensive structure and just want to defend, but been able to stop those quickly.
Speaker 5: So as we watch the vision from the weekend, so they can see one hundred and nine v. Collingwood in round five, one hundred and seventeen, the Suns in round seven, one hundred and thirty one v. Melbourne last week, and then one hundred and thirty one is in me against the Crows on the weekend. To both like the way they're setting up with their defense. It looks like they're in between systems. Some are doing man or man.
Speaker 3: Some are taking space, but then also their ball movement as well. Lloydy, I've heard you touch on it, especially last year is one of the best kicking sides you'd seen in quite some time.
Speaker 4: And their ball use.
Speaker 3: They're getting the ball turned over in bad parts of the ground and they're getting scored against on the rebound.
Speaker 2: So there's a few problems. Leadership is now clearly one of them. Obviously John long White choosing to stand down late after the Grand Final period of last year, and prior to that moment they'd lost Charlie Gardner's football operations boss. We've just spoken before about the possibilities of Tom Harley being a focus of the AFL operations.
Speaker 1: You've got Andrew Priddam.
Speaker 2: Who who is a very very successful businessman and a great president of that football club, but he's got at least a partial eye on the potential opening in the AFL.
Speaker 1: Commission Chairman's splot.
Speaker 2: A lot of change, there's a lot of change, yeah, And I'm not saying that Pudham's focus on that AFL chairman potential role is detracting from the Swans, but it's just another leader who has got something else on his mind when it comes to a football role.
Speaker 3: They're the four most important pillars and when Frank Costa was president of Geelong he was always adamant that you have to nail those pillars and they have to be stable and stable for quite some time. So when you make those appointments, you're expecting them to stay there for five six plus years and if there is some movement there, it can rock the boat.
Speaker 1: It's a great point that Jimmy and Damo make about the potential of lack of stability, and even that the change over to the captain Calum Mills. And now I know he's had injuries and a lot of that's out of his control, but just watching him in the back of the box on the weekend, it.
Speaker 2: Isn't any control though, Sam. When it does happen on a mad Monday incident. I mean I was critical at the time of that, and that has ruined his career from that point onwards. He hasn't been able to get the continuity, initially from the shoulder damage sustained in that moment and then the soft issues that have come as.
Speaker 1: I think you're spot on it. It's a shocking starters, captain, isn't it?
Speaker 5: Oh? It is he can't take a trick and a Calum Mills and it's getting to a point where I don't know's he got one more crack out it next year? And if you can't get some kind of use, so you just worry about playing football or getting your body right, because it's no fun you you just got to focus on playing footy.
Speaker 1: Now, over to the Blues. They didn't play on the weekend, which means they didn't lose, but they are still in their headlines because you're reporting last week sent tongues wagging across the AFL landscape as to whether one, two, maybe even three of their superstar contracted players could be up for traph.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we know that the Tom de cooning issue has simmered and played out all year and there's no one at the Carlton Footy Club who thinks he's staying at this stage that they haven't given up hope, but they know when you get to around thirteen and he's saying no one thinks he's staying. Obviously, the reporting last week was around the elevation of Graham right into the CEO chair, and I believe it's going to happen in July now The official line will be that Brian Cook will see sees or released opportunity on that in October.
Speaker 1: But it's happened already. The decision has been made for twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Gram right, isn't agents have changed and they've got some big name players on big name contracts, and I've got no doubt. In fact, I know that if a club was to come to the Carlton Footy Club and put Graham right in front of him with a feasible offer for some of those names, he will engage well.
Speaker 1: Kelon O and MacKaye.
Speaker 2: There's two Colvin Millers there who are on big contracts, and I've got no doubt if a club want to be serious, don't waste his time with a you're interested in doing it. If you want to put a proposal to them with three two first round DRAPH picks to it, the conversation can be had, and I would imagine will be had.
Speaker 5: Is there something about mccurno we don't know that cart would ever consider training him? Is that that's talk to people? Question? Does he work hard enough?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think it's a fair question lad right now? It does he work as hard as someone like a one Kerrey was who he was purported to be some years ago. Now injury has also contailed his progress. But there is a question around that. There's a question around MacKaye. There's a question around others at the footy club of his senior nature who are on long term contracts. When we know what Grahame Wright did at Collingwood, this is what he did. He moved out Brody Grundy, he moved out Adam Trelaw, he moved out others.
Speaker 1: Neither either of those are the quality Brodie Grundy was at the time of a Charlie Kurner.
Speaker 5: I mean, Brodie Grundy.
Speaker 2: Had just made all Australian and was said to be the biggest name in the game rucking wise, alongside Max Gorn.
Speaker 1: But they couldn't possibly consider trading Keron Olku.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't have thought so, no, Sam, because it's too hard to find the next one, like a guy like Charlie Kerner comes around once every fifty years. I don't know how many your ten drafts or something like that, or you know, a couple of them every ten drafts, So that's what they'd consider. But I do think about say they save a million bucks or one point two on what they pay to Coning and one more goes. Can they say, okay, they've got two million dollars, how can we balance our list out better? So you've got small forwards, they've just got nothing. So it's just you know, we've got dirt and Mottlop, Frankie Evans, Arazzio, Fantasia always has left the club. So okay, what I'd love to know what their focus is to me? Is it a prime midfielder. Obviously there'll have to be a ruckman to replace the Coning.
Speaker 3: I reckon, you're starting to touch on it there, lordy. It's high half forward and like all the good sides have you think of Brisbane Collingwood, even the Cats, they've got multiple options. They're sort of mid forward players who can link you up from the midfield and kick the ball inside forward fifty and hit the scoreboard. Plus you're deep forwards who are crumbing doing this stuff hitting the scoreboard. And they need more run through their midfield as well. It can't be just Crips and then Hewett and Chera just jamming the ball on the boot. You need some drive out of the contest. That's the game now it's how quickly can you get the ball from inside outside?
Speaker 5: So could you see them using this as a situation to try and better their list.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that's what Demo is alluding to.
Speaker 3: Undergraham, right, he doesn't waste an opportunity not to fill out the list.
Speaker 4: If there's money there, he'll make it go along way.
Speaker 1: Would you trade one Colonel Ormcotte.
Speaker 3: Well, the deal has to be right. You're not just trading him just to get rid of it. That has to be as Demo.
Speaker 1: Said, two first round picks three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there's first round picks and there's first round picks, so again I don't know what hand is in front.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again it's not a don't waste Graham r. It's time with that proposal. If you're serious, be serious with your first offer and there will be a conversation. That's all poor draft this year.
Speaker 5: So you hope that Carlton are working very, very hard, or have been for a long period of time to bring some players in this replace and.
Speaker 1: Then potentially Tazzy coming in which could run a few drafts the clubs lot cart I'm trying to get back up the ladder. Red Hot start here, on Footy Classified and there is much more coming, including why Melbourne keep getting burned by what they know and how they can fix it. Did the Cats get the cream when they picked up Bailey Smith on the cheap? It's having a good year.
Speaker 5: Isn't he?
Speaker 1: Plus the sledgehammer, the water cooler, good call, bad call, had a whole lot more. You're watching Footy Classified now.
Speaker 13: It's an area of our game that we've have been incredibly strong at through the whole of this year up until the last three weeks. And as I said, last year, we put a lot of time into our goalkicking and it's in an area they have absolute confidence for the people running the program and the investment of the players that will turn around really quickly, you know, probably taking our goalkicking and efficiency to the level that we need to be.
Speaker 14: So it's there of our game that we're not living in denial about. We need to start maximizing some vag great defensive work and with that, you know, you look at your personnel, or you look at how you're entering the ball and what type of entries you're getting.
Speaker 1: So we're going to look at to all of that. You know, we're having a rough patch in really tough conditions.
Speaker 14: But we're working incredibly hard on it and we've got a guy that puts an enormous amount of time into the program.
Speaker 1: That he delivers.
Speaker 14: And as I said that, we continue to roll our sleaders up to get to work.
Speaker 4: Keep investing in it so that'll start to turn.
Speaker 14: And when it turns, it's going to come in a big way. I thought, we've got enough shots to win the game and we just didn't.
Speaker 10: Kick our goals.
Speaker 1: We'll go to work on that. It's two times in the forums where we haven't been able to do that, so that's someone we've got to get better. Yes, welcome back to footy Classified. It was one of the things that ruined their twenty twenty three campaign. Two years later and seven goals twenty one on the weekend, Matthew Lloyd is goalkicking still costing the Melbourne football coach.
Speaker 5: It is and Melbourne fans are ropable after what they saw yesterday and that just what it's costing. It's the most important stating footage. You know, We've got a lot of stats we talk about, but look at this set shot accuracy is eighteenth and open play sixteenth and even their best players are poor at it. I think Petrarca and Gone for their whole careers. It's the biggest floor in their game.
Speaker 3: I'm going to put you on the spot here a bit lloydy. You sat here, you still got the inch to coach, and of course you're doing an amazing job at Hailbury. But gentlemen, the guy sitting down the far end of our table is one of the greatest goalkickers we've ever seen. I think it gets overlook the amount of times he's sat in front of that plasma and given a masterclass of how to do goalkicking. An RFL club said, can you come in in that sort of guys as being a specialist coase, would you consider it?
Speaker 5: I always enjoy like you know, I've met so many players RFL players down in the park or the oval. Yeah. The truck part was when I did go full time with Joey for that season. You know, you're then suddenly seen in the sen and tracksuit top and that, and then suddenly here and you sit here and people think you're a staff member, and so they don't take you seriously on your views on the club. And then when I'd walk into the club players would ignore me. I'd have coaching staff ignore me because they're upset with what they had to say. So the conf was just not great for me in that year that I did it with the Bombers. But this is seriously killing this football club. You know, the opportunities they create and then just burning them time and time again.
Speaker 2: This was were seven of twelve matches they've played this year, they've kicked more behind than goals.
Speaker 5: And it's cost them finals. We just spoke about that and so on Max Gorn, I just look at him and I think to myself, Draper from the Bombers. He's just holding the ball in such a different way to improve himself before he did his knee, snapping it around the corner where Max Gorn has come in twelve and the footy everywhere his whole career, and then hooking across his body. So that hasn't been fixed. Per Track has a really high ball drop that hasn't been fixed. I'm sure they're doing a lot with it, but unfortunately this is not coming to wins because it hurt them again yesterday.
Speaker 1: And we've sung the praises of people like because he Pickett when he's been a star. In the last four to six weeks, Jimmy got some special attention on the weekend. He's probably gonna have to get used to more of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think wing Hager's have absolutely done himself and that is another player that I've highlighted where the Saints can build on for the next ten years. And he's disciplined, and he's fit, and he's rock hard. He can tackle, he's not afraid to mix it up because he picked it can be physical at.
Speaker 4: Times, but that doesn't bother someone like win Hager.
Speaker 3: And he's even mentioned during his time that when he first started tagging, he was a little bit too defensive and locked on. And the great thing he's doing now in recent times with his tagging roles, he's trying to hurt you the other way.
Speaker 4: And he had a truckload of.
Speaker 3: The footy and was involved in all midfield play and even when he had to get taken down back.
Speaker 2: This game was played at Ellie Springs, obviously a game that the Melbourne Foty Club has sold as a home venue at Trager Park, and ironically it was ross Lyne who has made it pretty clear publicly that he doesn't like and doesn't believes clubs should be selling home games.
Speaker 4: So he's been a vocal his whole life for us.
Speaker 5: He's been vocal the.
Speaker 2: Past two weeks on different issues and this one was one that he actually was already prominted in before the match he played as coach of sein Kilda against Melbourne.
Speaker 5: On the weekend.
Speaker 1: He's one hundred percent right. Thought is yeah, yeah, it was their last three at Alice. Now nderstand money's important, but there's nothing more important winning games.
Speaker 2: I would argue, though, Sam, there's seven goals twenty one behind. They kicked and produced on the day itself cost them the result of footy, not the fact that was played at elt Spring, and I.
Speaker 5: Should just clarify with giving answers. Often we talk about giving answers to problems. I think that the key to goalkicking is first of all, obviously getting someone that can help you with your technical side, and then how you can introduce fatigue in training, how you can introduce pressure is critical to try and replicate game day, and that's what I think we did quite well back when we were doing it. So in terms of repeat efforts like running power running. Then you've pulled out of a drill, have a shot. Often the team has to run a four hundred if you miss a shot in training, and all these types of things you can introduce to try and build that and improve.
Speaker 1: As Jimmy just showed, wind Hager was important on the weekend, ironically coming out of their academy, which is pretty funny given the comments from Ross last week. But another man that just continues to go from strength to strength is at Nazaiwangani Miller. I mean this guy now, arguably to maybe Marcus Bonton, Pelli's probably the most desired signature in the competition.
Speaker 3: He is that good, Yeah, because he can play anywhere balls. We keep talking about side who tag kick the ball inside forward fifty. If that guy gets the ball anywhere, he's going to make you pay. He takes meters game, he can play half back, wing. We'll probably see him more be an inside mid as he gets a little bit older, like he's still in the young stages of his career, and he's one of the most important players on the park, so you've got to keep an eye on him.
Speaker 2: He's so special and the toughness attached to him too, which might not have been apparent. Pride to this year, but he'd got heavily.
Speaker 1: Hit on the weekend.
Speaker 2: These are their recent top ten picks in recent years.
Speaker 1: Just goes to show, damn like how much they need to keep this young man. Just look at like King's been injured for so long. Clark and Coffield but nothing against them as players, but they're just not They haven't ended up being picked at guys inside the top ten. You can add the likes of Billings in the carton if you go back further. You need to nail your top nine picks when you do album. You need to keep them at your footy club.
Speaker 2: But as you know Saim, when it gets to the round thirteen stages of a season in which you're at a contract, the confidence levels attached to that decision are not strong from the club he's currently at.
Speaker 5: I wonder if his manager says, okay, what's the Coning getting because I should be getting here. Look after the current player you've got who should be on something.
Speaker 2: Direct the other way, it was as simple as that, to take the Coning in or keep the sidewang Land Miller?
Speaker 1: Do you just dis you keep him keeping him ut By the same token, if you're Tom Daconing, you'd want to know that he's staying before you can sure, because you wouldn't want him going out if you're coming in. That's robbing Peter to pay Paul. Anyway, we digress well, when it comes to Geelong in season twenty twenty five, we're usually talking about the number three. That used to be the man sitting to our right, Jimmy Bartell making that number famous, but now it's the man behind me in Bailey Smith. Chris Scott, the coach, was asked about him again during the week.
Speaker 15: The simple way of describing the interaction between our key people and Bailey has been one way he's kind of approached and I wish I hadn't done that. You're we're a bit the same that it's not a hanging of fence. I just don't think we need ultra conservative people, you know, wagging their finger at Bailey. I appreciate your help, but we've got to.
Speaker 3: Cover always entertaining Chris Scott in press conferences, he's up there with Ross Lyne. They always give you something and he's right that they are the ones who are going to have to deal with him as long as he's not impacting the team and he's not impacting the coaches and they can keep moving forward. And I think Chris Scott will answer that every single week if he gets answered or ask questions on.
Speaker 5: Bal he's one of the stories of the season and he's been intrigued. I think he's Brownlow favorite now and a lot of people talking about how good has his season been? So look at this. So he's number one for disposals in the comp he's number one for meters gained, but then he's the second worst for turnovers and the fourth worst for disposal efficiency. So he's been polarized. So he's a massive tick because he's made a long better, but he's not say a Bonton Pally or not. He's still in the best ten and midfielders in the game in my opinion, but he's not in the best three or four because of his turnover stats.
Speaker 4: Can he fixed it on the runload it?
Speaker 5: Can he fix it? No? I don't think so. I think it's always been in Bailey Smith. But as I said, like, he's a game breaker in terms of his breaking of the lines. But then you've got so that was the good of him and this is a bad where he runs around to the left might invent some problems and then kick it out on the fall. So he lacks the class of the best. But he's been a wonderful addition.
Speaker 1: But isn't it true, Jimmy and you can talk to this has been a star midfield of three or plus games. A lot of the gun mids in the last twenty five years haven't necessarily been great kicks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some have had disposal efficiencies a bit lower, but it's where they're getting them from. Often when you're in contested situations, if you're a high contested player, your disposal efficiency or kicking efficiency not necessarily Hanble goes down. But I think with his age he's twenty four, you know, as you get along you feel more comfortable. I think, is it a decision making or is it a kicking technique. I look at his kicking technique and it's actually pretty sound with his ball drop. So for me, it'll be around decision making. Dangerfield hasn't been a great kick. Look five hasn't been a great kick. Kryp Patrick cripp has never really been a great kick. They're a great player, high contested players, under pressure players hanging off them.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think balley Smith's getting a slightly bad wrap from some people out there. But as we go to the break, there's plenty more coming up on Footy Classified, including Richmond and the Giants. But straight after the show is this show? It is players? That man we were just talking about Tom dacooning Nate Caddy. He talked about its next Matthew Lloyd and Bobby Hill, the normal Smith medalist who can tear up the mcg on any given day, he's going to be tearing up players. It's after Footy Classified tonight with the host Felix von Hoff. Welcome back to Footy Classified World Team. We're one week into five weeks of the by rounds. How's it all feeling well?
Speaker 2: In the evidence of what we've seen out of round twelve? Not ideal knowing there's another four weeks of this because while there were some close games, the fact there's only seven games not nine, and the fact there's another month of this to come, it does suck.
Speaker 1: I feel a fair.
Speaker 2: Bit of momentum matter this season that was starting to show quite nice like.
Speaker 5: That too, saying we're coming in. We started winter yep, and then we hit the fans with by rounds. So five weeks of it. So I think as we come into the biggest grind part of the season, we're half giving up. Yeah, so I think that we could do it far better as we have done with Watch your solution, Lloyd. The solution is that, Jimmy, back in early two thousands, we used to have just one give every team just about the break bar, two or four teams, So have a big Friday night, big Saturday night. There used to be a Sydney be coming Dandline standalone game.
Speaker 4: Out of the Olympics Stadium.
Speaker 5: It was huge, absolutely huge, and maybe you tape it off towards the end, but you just get two other big teams and so you just so then we just do it over two weeks. I know, the AFLPA and the players can dirty up and say we need this and we do that, But you don't do it over five weeks. We can do it over two weeks.
Speaker 1: Surely, just give them one full week off, yeah, or even that. Yeah, Like the AFL is in charge of the game, not the players. Let's just remind everyone who's in charge. Give them one full week off.
Speaker 3: Do you think the broadcasters, I'm just trying out, do you think they'd be happy with a week for football like pro auditioning them.
Speaker 5: Prop to watch.
Speaker 1: Probably not. But I tell you what the broadcasts are probably not happy with, and that is we have to wait until three twenty for a game in our springs between Melbourne and Seculita on a Sunday on a Sunday, because that was the longest three hours of my life between the Sunday Footy Show and happy to wait for that.
Speaker 5: And this Sunday's Bundery is at the first game North Melbourne, so it's another long wait.
Speaker 1: And we'll get to a little more on North Melbourne selling home games later in the show. But we're going to get to the giants now who fell over the line? And it's fair to say the coach, Adam Kingsley felt that way postgame.
Speaker 4: Adam, does it feel like he got away over.
Speaker 16: Find the Yeah, it certainly does. You know, we didn't deserve to win that game in the end, and I think what good teams do is they win the games that they don't necessarily deserve to win, you know, and we're aspiring to be a good team.
Speaker 9: We're still work in progress with that, you know. At times tonight it didn't feel like that.
Speaker 3: Pretty honest assessment there from the coach of the Giants. And I think we've spoken about this quite a number of times, with the Giants just relying on talent to get them over the line.
Speaker 4: Massive tick for the Tigers, so they were harder.
Speaker 3: The senior boys stood up hop I pressed her back in that side, and of course Taranto had this midfield dominance over the Giants, and probably if you're to pick an area of the ground where the Giants are week is midfield depth at the moment with obviously how Lord going down in the game with an acl but injuries to Canelio Kelly.
Speaker 4: Only just come back. They've got some youth going through there.
Speaker 3: Callahan's out at the moment, so sides are getting in a hold of them in between the arcs and what the Giants are trying to rely on is are we better afford to the foot with our entries and can we convert them because they got beaten and inside forward fifties again, and we've.
Speaker 4: Spoken about the talent behind the football.
Speaker 3: When you've got Buckley, Id and Taylor, they're just relying too heavily on even ash and midfield to battle of them out time and time again.
Speaker 5: You'll worry, don't you. Lord the Giants I am they you just don't know what you're getting from one week to the next. And they wouldn't have beaten many sides on the weekend, and they've gotten away with it against the side who, as I said, just froze a little bit intense stuff. But you can just see the numbers there for the Giants are not good.
Speaker 1: But winning is winning if you're playing badly, isn't it like did.
Speaker 4: You take it?
Speaker 3: That's sorry, Sam, that's those numbers are a patent though for the Giants. That wasn't just a one week and it's this game of your turn out turn, your turn out turn. And they've been lucky or not lucky. They've been just better with the talent forward to the ball and behind the ball. That's not a sustainable way to win big games.
Speaker 2: The Bombers are badly depleted. Bombers was really good. We're really good against Brisbane on the weekend. They've got Carlton on.
Speaker 5: So it's a massive chance, huge game. Yeah, it's a fifty to fifty ball game. Fifty I think so, I think it's fifty to fifty. I can't wait to see Michael Voss has said, we've got the week off, We've got to go to work. I want to see what Carlton show with a week off? Does anything change there? And Essen? And can they frank because everyone's lauded them for that performance with the outs they had, But can you franket and beat a side around you on Sunday night at the MCG.
Speaker 1: You really think it's fifty to fifty?
Speaker 5: What's your say? Eighty twenty Carlton's Wait, would you No? I'm just you're the expert, not me.
Speaker 1: But if it is a fifty to fifty game, that is an indictment on Carton.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's fair enough. But at the way Carleton have played this year, that's why I've but they.
Speaker 2: Currently have two more wins on their scoreline than the Blues.
Speaker 1: Very big game for the Carlton Football Club. Lord, I think it's fifty to fifty. The Bombers are a big chance. It's the sledgehammer next, plus good call, bad call to cook and a whole lot more. You're watching fully classified.
Speaker 5: Josh for Shelley and the Adelaide were in red hot form at the moment, and Josh Rochelle he made special things happen on Saturday night at the SCG. So watch this play. So Warner comes at him and he goes in board. So we're going to have a look at how special this was. So most players that just go down the line, look at Sydney players are all goal side of their men. He says, I'm not going to do that, cuts inside and create the goal scoring opportunity for Darcy fold He Josh Ward wasn't clean enough on Friday night. Look at the fumble there by Josh Ward and then the cleanest player in the game just scoops it up and says we're away and there's a turnover goal. So that was a difference on Friday night. I saw some special things from Aaron Cadman. He's been a slow burn, but I saw him light up this giant stadium with a big mark, a big tackle in late in the game he takes another big pluck. So it's good moments from him. We're all wondering where is he at? Why can't he do what Sam Darcy's doing? But he showed some really good signs in that game. Ned Long Colin would love just doing the knock ons and the tap ons. That was last week ned Long and he's done it again against Hawthorne. That's not lucky. He just keeps doing it time and time again, Nedlong. One of the stories of the season. Well, Ryan Marritch, he's playing on Oli Dempsey and maybe you get away with it once marriage, but you're not going to get away with it twice. And this is a repeat stoppage. He's just not tight enough. Look at the score, only six points in it and Oli Dempsey's going to punish you when you don't do that and you give him two chances. But I love Andrew Brayshaw. He's just a warrior for his team. So first of all it was the pressure to close in, then it's the hands and then he kicks up the ball and bangs a goal home. As I say, he captain ten AFL clubs. This man, he's not even the captain of his own club, but he's an absolute heartbeat player for the Fremantle Football Club.
Speaker 1: It's the best segment on TV. I reckon. It's good thanks and I think people are starting to think about him as the future coach. Now coach I just knew the right number though, Entice and good call on Cabman and slow Burn that is exactly what he has been Aaron Cadman at GWS don't go anywhere. Plenty more classified including good call, bad call up next, Welcome back to footy Classified Time for good call, bad call Jimmy, Buttell has the new ball, Jimmy, you need to know your limitations in the celebrations game.
Speaker 3: Bad call, Sam, I think you might be referring to Patrick Weiss.
Speaker 4: Let's take a look.
Speaker 3: There is the big man with the big chest. He's fist pumping everywhere. He's gone bananas.
Speaker 5: Ken Bruce's Ken Bruce.
Speaker 4: He's someone who's a Norman. Hopefully he's all right. Probably a good call from you.
Speaker 1: Sam likes showing those picks off to the Jimmy Sam.
Speaker 2: Preparations are in full swing for Gather around two point zero in w A this week.
Speaker 5: Good call back, Cap.
Speaker 1: This is a nasty call from you. This is sarcastic. I know you're negative on North. They're selling home games in w A. They're there for the next two weeks. They will get a few people to the games.
Speaker 5: That mate.
Speaker 1: That is there's a bad call for you to refer it to Gather around two point hs.
Speaker 5: Demo the adage better late than never isn't always true. Good call, bad call.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's a good call because I've had Hugh Dixon for Southboard kicked thirteen goals the previous week. He may, in fact, every likelihood would have been picked up in the mid season draft in.
Speaker 5: The week just gone.
Speaker 1: So good call, but it is might be too.
Speaker 5: Late, Lloyd.
Speaker 4: When your moment comes, you just need to step up.
Speaker 5: Good call, bad call. Jimmy, that's a bad call.
Speaker 3: Boy.
Speaker 5: You're a half, You're half some bits cleary like Mitch Smitch. I thought he reflexes were pretty good. He just went with the left the right hand, but he had the microphone in his hand. That's got it wrong, Mitch Cleary. Man, he's very.
Speaker 1: Nasty to pick out a journey for Mitch. Jimmy. The Giant social media team have made a rare misstep on the weekend. Good call, bad Caol.
Speaker 3: We're going to start with the bad call before I even see it, Sam, So what are you referring to this? A bit of love for Tim Turando the former bit of SKS. No, it's a bit of love for Tim for Richmond now. But he also did pick up cow Ward at the airport, helped him out, so bad call from you, Sam.
Speaker 2: It's not only opposition supporters suffering at the hands of Collingwood at the moment.
Speaker 1: Good call back. This is a much better call for new Demo. It's a good call. You're referring to Darcy Moore, the Collingwood captain. Have a look at the young man the handshake. Watch his reaction. Oh my goodness, that hurt. In fact, we might have a second look at if we can. He lets the handshake linger a bit. He's got the strong rip that hurt here.
Speaker 5: Flying at Collingwood Damo. BT only has room for one rivalry at a time. Good call, bad court.
Speaker 2: I'll get to it after we listen to what BT and JB said on Channel seven on the weekend.
Speaker 10: First Test is going to be here, Ruy, Big Ashes summer coming up.
Speaker 5: Who are you playing?
Speaker 2: Job?
Speaker 1: Who are we playing England?
Speaker 2: It's a good call order BT, maybe across the fox Felt five seven, but he doesn't realize that the Ashes can only be played against Australia in England.
Speaker 4: Great delivery there from JB. Lloydy. With friends like Joey, you don't need enemies.
Speaker 5: Good call, bad call, good call by you. Browne's been running with the fact that Frew moving the ball quicker. He tried on Joey and he wasn't having it. So that's a good call, Joey. Have they changed the way they've moved the ball? I think it's been pretty obvious the last three weeks. More through the corridor, more moving. What do you think now? It hasn't pretty there from Joey.
Speaker 1: You're supposed to be a team. Supposed to be a team. Speaking of teams, well, the clothing cook's been hitting miss the last couple of weeks. Let's hope it's to hit next. It's coming up on footy classifying.
Speaker 5: Now, the great Nathan Buckley has one of the best rigs in football and he still does post his AFL career. Let's tell you a look at some of the photos of Bucks like, there's no better rig in football than Nathan Buckley. He's still he's still as sharp as anything right now, just an absolute machine, champion for Collingwood Football Club and in retirement. I've got exclusive jellyfish vision that his weight partner has been Sam McClure. Hang on, and I've now he still waits for two people. Let's wait and see. So Sam he helps you here, Sam like he's this is jellyfish reason. So he's doing waits for two people. So there's one. I'll give you that, but then on this I cand rep for most of this time. Bucks then helps you with one finger, just one finger, But what about your lower the weight and actually do five riffs of your own rather than needing Bucks to do your weights for you. So he does his own and then he does you. So I've got spaghetti legs, noodle arms, McLure.
Speaker 1: Where did you get that vision from?
Speaker 5: I can't say where I got it? What I'm doing, I just do the bar.
Speaker 1: I don't know any social media.
Speaker 5: Just get the bar.
Speaker 1: Where did you get that?
Speaker 5: Say where I got it from?
Speaker 4: And there's some bright tight on to there is a reason. Listen to your advice.
Speaker 5: He's trying to help you here, trying to lift heavy weight to the bar. See if you can get the bar up like a sixteen hour old recruit first, and then you are just Then you might go to ten killow plates on either side into the twenties pirates treasure chest.
Speaker 1: That was five kegs. I don't reckon you can bench ninety five kegs right, Maybe we'll have a challenge any weight you want, anything.
Speaker 5: On our own, though not assist by Bucks.
Speaker 1: But that's that's that's safety about the production. And I know who said that. I'm getting my lawyers onto me. I'm happy about you. I am happy about Wires because it's coming up, including Tom Daconey, Bobby Hill, Felix von Hoff and Nate Caddy. It's next