S1: From the newsrooms of the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age. This is inside politics. I'm Jacqueline Maley, it's Friday, March 14th. The verdict is in. Australia will not be granted an exemption from US tariffs on steel and aluminium, despite hopes that President Trump would look favourably on one of its most loyal allies and grant us one.
S2: The white House, in just the last hour, ruling out Australia's bid to be excluded from the 25% tax tariffs come into effect today.
S1: But the news was greeted with dismay, with the Prime Minister saying the decision was not a friendly act and the opposition blaming it on the government, with Peter Dutton saying Anthony Albanese had been weak and incompetent. They say Albanese should have travelled to Washington to lobby Donald Trump in person. So what does this mean for our relationship with our closest ally? Will the US impose more tariffs on us in the future? Did the government cock up the handling of this delicate diplomatic issue? Plus, we will delve into the strange case of the caravan full of explosives and the fake terror plot with both sides of politics accusing the other of weaponizing this incident. Who is in the right? Joining me this week, we have chief political correspondent David Crowe, as usual, and a very special guest online from Washington. We have our US correspondent Michael Koziol. Welcome to the pod, gentlemen.
S3: Hello, Jackie.
S4: Well, hello, Jackie. And hello, Michael.
S1: So thank you for making time for us. I just want to get a sense of what it's like there on the ground for you. When did you find out about the tariff decision? How did you find out? Are you talking to people in the administration, or is there some sort of edict that is emailed? How does this news get communicated?
S3: Look, it's a bit of a chaotic white House. There's a lot of things happening very fast. So I wish that I could say there was some smooth process for engaging with it, but there really isn't. And I'm quite new here. So, uh, whatever kind of back door tricks there are, um, I wouldn't really know them yet, but in this case, it just so happened that on that Tuesday at 1:00, the white House press secretary, Caroline Leavitt, was doing a press briefing. I went along to that. There was another Australian reporter there, Carrington Clark from the ABC.
S5: Good afternoon everybody. Good afternoon. How are you? Good. I let my staff get settled. There's a lot of news today, so I look forward to taking your questions.
S3: It's a very packed briefing. I'm told that this is a bit different to how things were under Joe Biden, when perhaps media interest had waned a little bit by the end. So the room is packed. It's standing room only. You're very unlikely to get your question in the 30 or 40 minutes of the briefing, which was the case.
S5: And I'll see you guys later. Perhaps you'll see the president in a Tesla later this afternoon. Have a good one. Thanks.
S3: So we decided to just go around the back and poke our heads in to the press office. Uh, the white House is very small, but it's quite accessible. So you can just walk into the press secretary's office and we said hello. And you know, what's the deal with these tariffs, you know. Donald Trump said that he was going to give great consideration to exempting Australia from the tariffs. Um, what's his decision. And she was very clear and emphatic. She said he's considered it and he's considered against it. Um, there won't be any exemptions. Uh, you know, if you're steelmakers want to move their operations to the US, then they're welcome to do that. So that was how the news broke.
S1: I mean, that's fascinating. I love that you just had to kind of buttonhole the the white House press secretary after her briefing. Um. Well done. What was the reaction of the Australian diplomatic community in Washington? It wasn't unexpected, but was it still a shock?
S3: Yeah. You're right. I mean, I think they were. And we're just still, at the time of this recording, um, we're trying to kind of glean a little bit more information as to the exact sequencing of how this all worked out, but I've seen a reporter that Kevin Rudd was meeting with Howard Lutnick, the commerce secretary, uh, probably earlier in the day on Tuesday. So that would have been Tuesday morning, US time. Um, and, and, uh, left that meeting, I think, with, with an understanding that we almost certainly weren't going to be exempted. But perhaps, you know, given that midnight hadn't come around yet, there was still, you know, half a day left to, to, uh, give it a go. And that was certainly what, you know, the Australians were saying once we broke the story that, you know, the Australian government was saying, hey, you know, there's there's this is bad, but there's still time. Uh, whereas the impression that we got from Carolyn Levitt, which, you know, again, was quite clear, was that this decision had already been made, there would be no exemptions. That and let's remember here, these tariffs have already been essentially written down in an executive order that is due to that was due to start on this date. So in fact there would have to be a new executive order introducing these exemptions in order for that to be given. So from the White House's point of view, it was sort of like, hey, there's nothing to see here. We've already said what we're going to do. Um, and we're not changing it. So, you know, they were fairly, um, you might say, blasé about it, even though it was obviously a very big deal for the Australians.
S6: Tariffs and escalating trade tensions are a form of economic self-harm and a recipe for slower growth and higher inflation. They are paid by the consumers. This is why.
S1: And is there any chance the decision might be reversed?
S3: Well, I would say yes, because you never know what's going to happen in this white House. I mean, look, they've given no indication that that's going to happen, but we've seen in the relationship with Canada that, you know, things can change very quickly. I mean, on the same day that this was all happening, Donald Trump was going to double the tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminium to 50%, and that lasted about three hours before, you know. The Canadians reacted and then it was all off. So, you know, look, Donald. Trump can always decide, um, based on a deal that he makes that this is. An exemption is going to be introduced or something's going to be reversed. At the moment, there's no indication of that. But, you know, given the way. That decisions are made in this white House, you would just you would never rule it out.
S1: Mhm. Mhm. It's fascinating. I mean it is really actually quite hard to keep track of this news now David, what was the reaction from Canberra just briefly from the PM, the foreign minister, the deputy Prime minister. I mean it was it was pretty strong wasn't it.
S4: Actually I think it was you know cautious. They're not happy with it. But I thought it was interesting that Ed Husic, the industry minister, called it a dog act by America. But Anthony Albanese didn't back in that comment in quite as forceful a way he says it's disappointing. I think what's been happening here is that behind the scenes, whenever I've talked to people in the government, there's been an expectation that there would be no exemption. As the time went on, they were gloomier about getting an exemption just because of the unpredictability of the white House and the fact that there were no signals from any of the people around Donald Trump, that they were going to make the argument for Australia. Howard Lutnick being one of the examples, you know, really singling Australia out as a source of dumping in the American market so strongly against Australia that's made it challenging for Anthony Albanese and for Jim Chalmers as treasurer. But they didn't want to say publicly, look, we're going to cop it here and there's not much we can do about it because that looked defeatist. And the public remarks are still words like, oh, we're going to keep fighting. We're going to keep arguing, keep making the case in the hope that we can get a good outcome. So that's the public line for obvious reasons. But behind the scenes look, they can see the way Donald Trump works just like everybody can. And they didn't have much hope of an exemption.
S1: Mhm. So what about the opposition. Because they've been much stronger and they've basically blamed the government for this haven't they.
S4: Yeah. And the line from Peter Dutton is that he could get a better deal.
S7: It's not just Australians who see the Prime Minister as weak and incompetent. It's our trading partners as well. And the sad reality is because of the Prime Minister's inability to deal with this issue, Australian jobs are at risk and Australian industry is at risk.
S4: And I think that's a very interesting line. When you think that, is he really going to go to the election saying I can get a better deal on tariffs if you elect me prime minister? That's a very big call. It's a very big promise to make and I think it's an unlikely scenario.
S8: Have you called Donald Trump?
S7: I haven't I haven't as opposition leader, but I will as prime minister and we'll get a deal done and we'll make sure that we can protect jobs and protect industry, because otherwise Australians are the ones who are going to lose out under Mr. Albanese's inability to.
S4: That doesn't seem to be the way Donald Trump works here. Donald Trump loves tariffs. The people around Donald Trump love tariffs. The thing that's going to make a difference here is the impact in America. When people see higher prices, that's actually going to be the impact. The other impact, of course, is what's happening on the share market with prices falling. Donald Trump doesn't like that. I'm thinking about this for my Friday column. Is there anybody in the world who is as driven by money as Donald Trump? Like he measures a lot of things by money.
S1: I think it's his only metric.
S4: And when the market is tanking, that sends him a message. And I do wonder whether that would have an impact, far more an impact on Trump than any lobbying from Australia.
S1: Michael. Is Australia potentially in line for further US tariffs on other goods? Beef exports have been mentioned. I notice in dispatches.
S3: Yes. Look I think that's certainly possible. So there's another round of tariffs that are due to come in in less than a month. What Donald Trump calls the reciprocal tariffs, which is basically, in his parlance, you know what what other countries charge us. We're now going to charge on on them and rolled up in all of that is the sort of, you know, bunch of other grievances that the US may have with various countries, uh, you know, non-tariff measures that a lot of countries have around protecting products, particularly agriculture. And I must say, I'm not au fait with what the rules around, um, Australian agriculture might be and not, for example, letting you know US agricultural products into the country. Um, David might have more detail about some of that, but I mean, I do know, as everyone who flies into the country knows, we're very, very protective of our agriculture. Um, not only from a safety point of view, but trying to protect the livelihoods of our farmers, as is the US. And we don't really know where that's going to land yet, and that's certainly something that we need to try and find out over the coming weeks. But there seem to be all sorts of grievances. I've seen the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme mentioned as one grievance that the US had when they were negotiating the free trade agreement with Australia 20 years ago.
S1: Why is that? Whatever pharmaceuticals, the US exports to Australia are subsidised and too cheap. I've never understood that.
S4: There's a government decision basically on subsidies for some pharmaceuticals and not for others. And so I guess in that sense, it's not completely open slather because a government advisory committee says, look, this, this pharmaceutical is worth supporting and will subsidize it under the PBS. And the Americans have got concerns with that. But I think that that's a risky fight to pick, because some of the subsidies are going to drugs sold by American suppliers that helps them sell in Australia. So if they want to pick a fight over that, maybe they'll lose.
S1: But so the argument is that pharmaceuticals from other countries are being subsidized, and that would prejudice US companies who've got similar products on the market.
S4: Well, I think the subsidy from the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme isn't country by country, it's product by product.
S1: Yeah.
S4: So I don't actually see the logic for the Americans in picking a fight over it. But, you know.
S1: Yeah. Because us pharmaceutical companies would presumably take advantage of it as well. I guess that's another fight that we're going to see play out. I just I just want to talk more broadly now. And I want to ask you both, both vocally about this. What does this tell us more broadly about the reliability of the US as an ally? There's been a lot of talk about Aukus and how much we're going to be able to count on the Americans now to deliver those submarines that we're paying so very much money for and that we've already put down. I think it's an $800 million down payment recently. Michael, what are the implications more broadly?
S3: Well, we've paid $800 million just to help boost American submarine building industry. That's before you know that that doesn't bias any of the actual boats. We have to pay for those separately. And we'll be paying another, uh, form. I'll do the math for 100.
S1: We're journalists. We're not supposed to be good at maths.
S3: Well, we're paying another 4.2 billion towards that industry capacity building before any boats even are put up for sale. Now, look, I mean, Donald Trump won't be the one who makes the decision on whether we ultimately get those boats. It will be the president of the day in, you know, the 2030s. But they will have the capacity to say, actually, no, the US needs this boat and we're going to hold on to it. So there's no guarantee in there that we will get anything. And, uh, you know, look, in terms of the broader question of the alliance, I think, uh, you know, well, we've been shown where we stand, but we're not alone there. Um, that, uh, that this administration basically thinks everyone around the world, including our friends, has been ripping us off for a long time. Um, and we're now going to get our own back. That's that's the basic view of the Trump White House. So they will gladly say, you know, we'll take that 800 million. We'll take the next 4.2 billion. And by the way, you know, you need to up your defense spending to 3% of GDP while you're at it. So, you know, they don't even think that the 800 million we've given them is enough, essentially. Um, they want us to be upping our own, uh, defense spending to 3% of GDP, which is a story that, um, our colleague, um, Matthew, not, uh, broke last week. That's their view. And they basically think that, uh, we and many other friends and allies of the US haven't been paying our way and need to do so.
S1: Mhm. So what's your sense, particularly in Canberra, of how much we can now rely on the United States as an ally generally.
S4: Why would you listen to the United States telling us to lift defense spending to 3% if they are an unreliable ally? It doesn't make sense, does it? The whole situation is forcing a rethink about the alliance. And I think there is a, you know, an undeniable fact that Aukus has made us more dependent on the United States at the very time when the United States is less dependable. And this is a really huge problem. But I think it's quite separate from tariffs and the tariff. Economic impact in steel and aluminium is minimal. If there is a China shock because of tariffs, that will hurt the Australian economy big time. But at the moment we can actually navigate this tariff dispute because it's focused on those industries. Look, if it broadens to beef that's a problem. But aukus is a is a huge question that's entirely separate. And I know there are even ideas about going back to the French and saying, look, remember that contract we tore up? Is there another way to do it? I mean, that's a pretty out there concept.
S1: Just go crawling back to Emmanuel Macron.
S4: But now people are canvassing these ideas because of what Michael's pointed out with the Virginia class submarines. The Americans may not want to sell them to us in the 2030s.
S1: Mhm. I want to just ask quickly, what's your sense of the domestic political fallout, whether or not voters will blame Albanese for the tariff decision as the coalition is, you know, really trying to do, or will they just sort of figure that's all part of the madness of Trump 2.0 in the white House and give the government a bit of a pass on it?
S4: It's really a gut, gut call at this point, but everybody can see the unpredictability of Donald Trump, and Australians generally don't like him. They would have preferred Kamala Harris to be president. Clearly we polled that and we saw that. At the same time, a lot of people think that Peter Dutton is better able to handle Donald Trump. But at the moment we've got Anthony Albanese saying that Peter Dutton is being, in a sense, not on Team Australia. By picking this domestic fight over the impact of the Trump tariffs, will that play out in a way that helps Anthony Albanese convince Australians that they need to back him, rather than Peter Dutton, who labor is trying to pin as a more Trump like candidate? I don't know whether that will succeed, but that is the dynamic we're in for in the election campaign.
S1: It's fascinating. Michael Koziol, you have a dinner to attend. I hope you are going somewhere very glamorous. Have a martini on us. Thank you for being such a champ.
S3: Thanks. See you buddy.
S1: See you soon. So, David, I want to talk about a more domestic political conflict now, which is this fight over the caravan full of explosives that was discovered in Sydney in January, and the caravan also had a list of synagogues and a note displaying anti-Semitic messages. And it obviously put a lot of fear into the Jewish community. But it was revealed this week that it was actually a fake terror plot, designed not for sort of truly antisemitic purposes, but to distract police resources away from organised crime figures. How did this issue become politicised?
S4: There are a sequence of events, really, beginning with the fact that it was leaked to the Daily Telegraph in Sydney. They got a good story and good luck to them. They reported the fact of the discovery of the caravan, which hadn't been known until that point. And I'm not going to get into the guessing game about their sources. Right. They they reported a story that was newsworthy and they got stuck into it. That then triggered a press conference by New South Wales Premier Chris Minns and police officers in Sydney, where they talked about this, and that's where Chris Minns made that fateful remark about how this was terrorism, and it was potentially a mass casualty event.
S9: That anyone attempting terrorism, violence, hatred in our community will be met with the full force of the law that there are massive.
S4: And things got very high alert from there. From then on. Anthony Albanese backed in the terrorism word the next morning. And then we saw Peter Dutton go very hard on who knew what when.
S1: Yeah.
S7: The prime minister of our country wasn't notified for nine days, ten days of what was believed to be the biggest planned terrorist attack in our country, in our country's history.
S4: And it was apparent that Chris Minns had been told about this caravan. But reading between the lines, it seems that Anthony Albanese had not been told in the same time frame at least.
S1: But now we know that the police actually knew very early on. They say that this was not a genuine anti-Semitic plot. That it was actually this sort of fake terror plot by organized crime figures. So Tony Burke is saying that Dutton basically refused to have briefings along those lines and went around town talking about a terror plot, even though he knew that it might very well not be a genuine terror plot. Is that right?
S4: Peter Dutton never had the personal briefings that he could have had from the AFP to establish what they knew, where they could have told him in private what their various lines of inquiry were. Now, they never ruled out from the start terrorism. You know, it was a line of inquiry, but this other option was also a line of inquiry. And that was clear to us when we spoke to officials. And it became even clearer when we reported that the explosives were 40 years old and that there was this theory about organized crime.
S1: Yeah. So there was a there was a seed of doubt, a pretty strong seed of doubt there from the very beginning. And although Dutton himself didn't attend the briefing. Members of his staff did and senior ministers did. So I think James Paterson, for example, who's the shadow home affairs, never modified.
S4: They never modified their line of attack. So we don't know what they were told during those briefings. But even now they're going hard saying that Anthony Albanese should have been briefed immediately on this. But I have a real problem with that because I don't think, given what we know now, it actually reached a threshold that demanded instant attention from the Prime minister. It was an organised crime plot.
S1: Yeah. Okay. So Tony Burke, Home Affairs Minister, has said that Dutton leveraged the whole thing for political gain. Dutton has hit back and said that actually, it's the government who has politicised this. I just want to ask you one thing in sort of wrapping this up, we know that Dutton has been seen as not a particularly likeable leader, at least in the past. And his reputation, reputation, whether or not it's true, is someone who's very black and white about the issues of immigration and sort of law and order, you might say Some voters even think that he might be cold or hard hearted. I'm interested in your opinion whether or not you think this is going to sort of cement that view for voters or for some voters of Peter Dutton, or whether or not it's just going to look like a shemozzle. And actually, the Prime Minister himself looks weak because he didn't know what was going on.
S4: Peter Dutton did go very hard for weeks on this, and so there would have been a lot of attention and a lot of publicity, and households would have seen him talking up the threat from the caravan. The caravan now turns out to be not an imminent threat to people. So I think that will cost him in New South Wales in particular. And New South Wales is a key state for the coalition. They really need to make some gains in New South Wales. They can't win that many more seats in Queensland because they're so strong in Queensland. It's Victoria and New South Wales that are going to decide this election for the coalition. So I think as a problem for Peter Dutton in New South Wales, it does have political significance.
S1: Mhm. Okay. We've got to wrap up there. But it's been a fascinating chat and we will see you again next week David. And who knows what the news will be next week particularly out of the white House.
S4: It's a wild ride.
S1: It is. Strap in. Thanks, David.
S4: See ya.
S1: Today's episode of Inside Politics was produced by Julia Carr Katzel, with technical assistance from Debby Harrington and Josh towers. Our executive producer is Tami Mills. Inside politics is a production of The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald. To support our journalism, subscribe to us by visiting The Age or smh.com.au. Forward slash subscribe and sign up for our Inside Politics newsletter to receive a comprehensive summary of the week's most important news, analysis and insights into your inbox every week. Links are in the show. Notes. I'm Jacqueline Maley, this is Inside politics. Thank you for listening.