S1: Our four biggest banks have reported a drop in the numbers of people taking out mortgage loans. One has even forecast a significant drop in house prices in two cities. But then came the reserve Bank governor last week with a stern warning. I'm Samantha Zellinger Maurice, and you're listening to Morning Edition. From The Age and the Sydney Morning Herald today, senior economics correspondent Shane Wright on whether the housing bubble is finally beginning to burst. It's August the 18th. Shane, welcome back to the podcast.
S2: Oh, why wouldn't I come back to see your happy face again, Sam?
S3: Well, I'll tell you, I think I'm happy as a result of reading your last feature. Tell me if I've read it right. First off, let's start by you telling us what the economics team from the ANZ Bank has said about housing prices in Sydney and in Melbourne falling going forward.
S2: That's right. We've had a lot of new forecasts out from the big banks and the ANZ. Their economics team is predicting it's like a 14.5% fall in Sydney's median house prices between this year and into next. Just under 13% for Melbourne and smaller falls across all the other capital cities. And this would then be corrected in 2028, with house prices supposedly going up. They're the most bearish of all the big economics teams, and the history of predictions on house prices is pretty terrible from most from most analysts. It's very difficult to pick because you also have to take into account what the reserve Bank might get up to and other big macro effects. So always difficult. But these have generated a lot of interest because a lot of people seem to think that house prices never fall in this country. And my goodness, I could sell these people a bridge over Sydney Harbour because there is a long history of price, corrections, price, downfalls and most infamously, an absolute crash which precipitated probably our worst depression. But neither you or I were around for the 1890s depression of Melbourne where, uh, where house prices actually fell 50%. Wow. Yeah, it was all tied up with the financial system in Melbourne at the time. Very different world. Um, and it was one of the reasons that Sydney became larger than Melbourne and became the financial centre of the, of the country because of what happened in the 1890s.
S1: It's interesting. And there's also been some other metrics out there that you might help us, uh, read into to sort of find out how our housing market is at the moment. So I guess just tell us about our country's other biggest banks besides the ANZ. What have they revealed? In particular, I guess, about how many loan applications they have received or not, because they also have released financial updates, right?
S2: Yeah. So all the banks like the ANZ, NAB and Westpac released their their quarterly results last week. And the Commonwealth Bank released its annual results. And all of them have picked up that there's been a big fall in applications for mortgages since the budget. Now they were there had been this had been slowing beforehand because of the reserve Bank starting to increase interest rates in February. And there was a little thing like the war that kicked off on February 28th, which has really affected the global economy. Anyone with a petrol driven car or a diesel driven truck would clearly understand what's been going on in that space. But really sizeable falls in applications predominantly amongst investors, which is effectively exactly what the government was expecting. And that was on the top of the box saying, we're going to do these changes. We're going to have fewer investors competing against first home buyers. There is some conflicting advice about what's coming out in terms of first home buyers specifically. Some have picked up a big fall, others have not. Have said no, it hasn't. There hasn't been a big drop off in first home buyers accessing it. The government's own 5% deposit scheme, which is managed by Housing Australia. They were. pre-Budget getting 188 applications a day. It's fallen to 186. So yeah, I think that's just a little bit of noise. But it wouldn't be the biggest surprise that first home buyers might be a little reticent at the moment, given how much like it's hard to open a paper or listen to a talkback radio star talking about, oh my God, end of days or oh my God, how affordable. A lot of conflicting advice for first home buyers who are on the precipice of diving into their probably their biggest personal investment ever.
S1: But like you said, I mean, lots of a slide, I guess. In mortgage applications, the NAB reported a 15% slide in those applications, the ANZ at 12% dip and the Commonwealth Bank 15% drop in loan applications, uh, and a 28% plunge in applications from investors. So bigger than expected declines. Is that right? Even though they were expected to decline, given that the reserve Bank had begun lifting interest rates earlier this year?
S2: Yeah, no one was really sure in terms of how many investors would come out of the market. And we don't know how long term this is, because on Friday, the Bureau of Stats, which actually tries to collect information on every mortgage that gets issued, they also showed a fairly sizable fall in the June quarter. So that's covering the like the 6 or 7 weeks from between the May budget being released and the end of the quarter. But it also picked up a sizable increase, in fact, to record levels, the number of mortgages taken out by investors to build new homes. Now, that was also part and parcel of the government's changes. Like the most important in this case is the negative gearing one, which is you can negatively gear as long as you build a new house. So you can. These are preliminary. So I'm really reticent to go, oh my God, we've got absolute proof of everything. It's like seeing a video of a Sasquatch wandering around, uh, parts of Northern America. Uh, let's get a bit more evidence in before we. We declare that sasquatches are real. Uh, next we'll be talking about yetis. Um, but there is a preliminary sign that that's working as intended. Of course, all the big banks have noted this. You've still got the reserve Bank. Uh, its rate rises now rate increases take between 12 and 18 months to fully work their way through an economy. So they've only been they've only increased them between February and May. So we have still got a long way to go on that one. And the other, of course, is the flow on flow on impact from the war, what it's done to petrol prices. So petrol is back over $2 a litre in just about every capital city at the moment. We can see what's happening there. Like we've had a huge increase in the number of people buying electric vehicles. So that is churning around in the in the in the background as well. I suspect between you and I, Sam, that there are some people who've pulled out of the housing market but are using their cash to change over into an EV. I would not surprise me because EVs, some of the higher end ones are not cheap. But we've actually had a record number of vehicles being new, new vehicles being bought over the last three months, and half of them have been EVs. So that is telling us something that's going on in the economy as well.
S4: Okay. And you mentioned.
S1: Yetis and sasquatches just there. So I wanted to ask you about what is possibly the ultimate sort of, um, confirmation of the Yeti or the great white Sasquatch, which is, of course, watching to see if the housing bubble is finally starting to burst. Now, this is a game we've all played for, I don't know, 30 years or so. So is it finally coming to pass all of this data you've walked us through? Is it happening? Is the bubble finally starting to burst?
S2: Look, I want to I want a hair sample. I want to be able to talk to the Sasquatch first before I declare, I think Shane Oliver, the AMP chief economist, talks about the property super cycle that has been running since 1996 and since 1996 we've had, well, it's a 450 500% increase, huge blowout in the sizes of mortgages like the Bureau of Stats. Data actually showed. Yep. That the size of new mortgages actually come down, came down over the last three months. Of course, the average is still $841,000 in New South Wales. Um, and so if you discount non Sydney you're looking at more than $1 million. Uh, average new sized mortgage. So whether it's finally come to an end. Look, uh, you and I will have to go out into the bush and keep looking for our our unusual animals, because, look, I'd love to say it, but I'm not sure. I'm not sure you can say it quite yet.
S5: After the break.
S2: More than 60% of people actually support lower house prices, and those who are opposed is around 10%.
S1: But there has, of course, like you've said earlier, there's been this sizable decline in investors taking out home applications. We haven't seen a rate rise in a bit. So is now the best time for a first home buyer to get into the market?
S2: Was it? Matt Coman? The head of CBA actually said ah, over the next 6 to 12 months might actually be the prime time. Of course, if that happens, you have more first home buyers coming into the market that they'll push up the price, particularly at the bottom end of the market. And so the prices may not fall as far. Um, this is you're into the whole argument about affordability. And there are some who like the political argument is very weird at the moment where all sides of politics profess. Yes, we're worried about our first home buyers, but they don't want actually say house prices have to fall. Now our resolve political monitor. I have been asking for the last three months whether people can what their feelings are towards a fall in house prices. And this has been interesting because it is it has not changed. And it's more than 60% of people actually support lower house prices. And those who are opposed is around 10%. And we've been asking this consistently, and we're getting the same answers across every sort of voter, like labor coalition One Nation. They're like, it's more than I think it's 54% of One Nation supporters say, yep, happy with house prices to fall and 16% opposed Greens. It's 68 supportive, 5% opposed. Like, I don't know how many times we can ask this question and think the answer will change. Like if we went back to the 1890s and asked Melburnians whether they want to see house prices continue to fall, they might have had a different perspective because housing had got expensive at that point of time, but it was tied up with a big speculative bubble that filtered right through the property, the financial system in Melbourne at the time. This one is a bit different in terms of. This is all about affordability. This is all about whether people have a chance of getting into a home tie in. What's going on with the rental market, of course. And like we've seen, there's been some absolute terrible reporting, not in this masthead, of course, but this commentary about rents went straight up like the week after the budget was announced because investors decided, right, I'm not going to be able to negatively gear if you've got a if you've got a landlord who's making a change on something that they were actually protected from. Well, I think take it up with the local tenancy advisory organizations at the state level because you're being sold an absolute pup.
S4: And Shane, just to wrap up, I wanted to.
S1: Ask you how you think we're going to be faring with regards to the reserve Bank inflicting another interest rate rise on us, because last week the bank held the cash rate steady for a second successive meeting. And the reserve Bank governor, Michele Bullock, she made some comments last week. So what can we read into those?
S2: Look, we could delve into the ins and outs of monetary policy and communication, which I think this is really interesting. Michelle Bullock sounded as if like, I thought she was like a newspaper holding a rolled up newspaper, talking to a dog, saying, you just wait, I'll get you.
S6: So we will need still need to see some further progress before the board can be confident that we are going to get inflation back to target. With current monetary policy settings, the board will raise interest rates further if that is what is required to bring inflation down in a timely way, the board will be closely watching for evidence of upside risks to inflation materializing. Now, I understand this is a difficult period for some households.
S2: In central banking terms. There's a there's a term for that. It's called jawboning. And Jawboning is talking really solidly, either hawkishly or dovish but not actually moving rates because. And like Michelle Bullock and lots of other central bankers, say I've only got one lever to inflict pain upon people or reduce pain. They don't Jawboning is is a very well documented way, and I've seen Australian central bankers use it as well. They've they've got their own pulpit to talk. Michelle Bullock has a whole hour after the post, the press conference to talk it up because the forecasts she released actually say no, these guys have they've done for rate rises. Start thinking about rate cuts next year. A whole host of asterisks next to those. The war gets worse. We get some other inflationary pulse. People decide to people go out and striking, get huge wage rises all sorts or the economy slows much faster than we than the bank and others anticipate. Put it this way, the bank's major last major forecasts were released first week of May, and they said inflation is going to be 4.8% by June. It was 3.8. Now, in macroeconomic terms, that's missing by the side of a barn like they missed by a long way. And there's really good reasons for that. And they missed their other key forecasts as well. So I think Bullock has used Jawboning to try and make sure people don't get ahead of themselves, knowing that she may not have to use rate rises, given that's how the bank itself thinks the economy is going to play out over the next 12 months or so.
S1: So her jawboning, that's her way of saying, just you wait, you better not go crazy on the spending. Otherwise I'm going to hit you with a rate rise.
S2: Yep. Exactly. Exactly. And look, you're living in fear immediately after hearing Michelle Bullock say that. So it might have worked. You put off that really expensive coffee, uh, last Wednesday because oh my goodness. Michelle Bullock warned me if I spend too much. So you can see like there's a lot of dealing with people's emotions because economics, it might it is called the gloomy science for a particular reason, but it does deal a lot with consumer sentiment, business sentiment, business emotion. That's that's why it's such a fascinating topic to always talk to you, Sam, about.
S1: Well, thank you so much, Shane, for your time.
S2: Look, and we've got a date to go looking for some, some maybe fictional, maybe real, uh, wild animals out there next time.
S1: Till next time, Shane.
S2: Until next time.
S1: In other news, today, first of its kind scientific modelling forecasts that more than 2.6 million Australians will be living with a cancer diagnosis by 2050, an increase of a million people over the next 25 years, and a $5 million learn to Swim program will be launched today by the federal government with Royal Life Saving Australia. The We Swim program will be led by local community leaders, including those from India, China and Korea, who understand the particular risks and the culture of their own people. You can read more at the age.com.au or smh.com.au. Today's episode was produced by Kai Wong. Our executive producer is Tammy Mills, and our podcasts are overseen by Lisa Muxworthy and Tom McKendrick. If you like our show, follow The Morning Edition and leave a review for us on Apple or Spotify. Thanks for listening.