Speaker 1: Welcome to the first episode of Inside Lyon very creatively renamed Inside Lione. Justin Harrison, Michael Hooper, Ian Peyton diving into all things British and Irish Lions series. Because they're not coming, they're already here, have touchdown in Perth and without a ball being kicked in Earnest or a whistle being blown, Pato, there's already fire, already jammed being thrown the tension between the Wallabies and the Lions. The news in the last twenty four hours is the Lion CEO Ben Calveley has taken a bit of a shot at Joe Schmidt and the Wallabies, claiming there's an agreement that Wallabies must be released to play in the tour matches for their states. And you've written an article having sat down with Joe Schmidt him responding to those claims from Ben Calveley.
Speaker 2: What's the latest? The latest?
Speaker 3: The very latest is Phil Warre and Ben Calveley are going to meet today to thrash all this out. But for those who don't kind of know the backstory, yep, Ben Calvaly is the CEO of the Lines. Did a presser on Monday. I think they arrived on Sunday, didn't they after Sunday night after getting beaten by Argentina. And look, I think he was essentially asked about the strength of the games that they would be playing in the tour matches.
Speaker 4: Because obviously the forces first up this Saturday night.
Speaker 3: Five of those guys named in the Wallaby squad have stayed behind a planet.
Speaker 4: And he just pointed out it was a tad aggressive that.
Speaker 3: You know, the tour agreement stipulates that test players must be released, Wallaby's players must be released for tour games, and you know, it was interpreted by some of the UK presses as a warning to Joe Schmitt. Joe Schmitt replied by saying, well, we'll abide by the tour agreement.
Speaker 4: Don't worry about that.
Speaker 3: We will be releasing Wallaby's and each of these tour teams, you know, the Super Rugby teams will have Wallabies in them anyway. So it's been a little bit of a spicy start, but it's.
Speaker 4: Been good, I think, you know, like it's been.
Speaker 1: An attention the exactly Lions series needed anymore. It does bring attention to it, but it is.
Speaker 4: An age old debate.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you that, like I can remember certainly twenty thirteen which I covered. It was exactly the same topics, and good could probably tell us more about one. But it's not new territory. It was just a bit of a strong start from the lines. And they were also mentioning at the same time that they're quite happy to play in France and Japan and Argentina in the future. So I had a bit of a nice tour. You've got their shame if anything happened to it kind of vibe, you know, like a bit of mafia play.
Speaker 1: It's a bit rich, Yeah, I say, loosely or not so loosely, threaten we're going to take this away from Australia after one hundred and thirty seven years of history. Over basically subjective read on terms in a contract. I would imagine justin anything that says in an agreement that best possible players play for these teams would be subject very much to availability of said players, health and fitness, player welfare, all of those sorts of things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, lots of terms that are open for interpretation that it would be, you know, things like best endeavors subject to availability, proximity of test campaign, just like the British and ice lines are going to put some players on ice to get them ready for the one two three of the test campaign, which is a must win by the way, so to the Wallabies are entitled to do that. I think Joe Schmitt should just come out, come out and name ninety six players in the Wallaby squad that would not have them all assembled in camp and there you go. Move on, Gloody Ben should stick to giving out the pins and things that he's giving a press may be right. Let the coaches and the players worry about preparing for tests and let Joe Schmitt worry about what is best for the Wallaby group.
Speaker 1: It certainly has spiced things up, but it's divided media in the home nations, as Pato mentioned, sort of came about from questions from media in the Northern Hemisphere around the strength of the teams. But there's a few journalists and the like who've sort of clapped back it at Calvary and said, well, you kind of disrespected Argentina by putting out a weaker team against the fifth.
Speaker 2: Rank nation in the world.
Speaker 1: But at the end of the day, hoops love a bit of spice, a little bit of extra attention on the series on rugby, on the game leading into the first game of a massive tour.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like we're going to see with Sunny Bill and Gal, you know, being shown there's a few words going before the actual punches are thrown, and that's what we want to see.
Speaker 7: It's going to be.
Speaker 6: It's already going to be a lively tour. I think this just adds to a bit of the spice.
Speaker 7: Look.
Speaker 6: I think, you know, coming from a former player or a recently retired players perspective, for those three tests, which are the biggest games that we're going to you know, both teams need to win, and you know I talked about this a few weeks ago. How do you win those threes? Zip Joe and Andy and that's both of them. There's both teams need to be super prepared for how do they get their players playing their best rugby come those three tests.
Speaker 7: Now, Joe's not going to sit back.
Speaker 6: And put everyone on ice and roll out some of those players that haven't played in a long period of time.
Speaker 7: First test match, He's just not.
Speaker 6: So he's going to have to play like we're seeing with the affairs like Hunter Paisami's going to play for the rebels, wh's just been Now they're going back, so you know they're going to get minutes because that'll make them play better in those tests. And we're going to see the exact same with the lines. They've got no choice, They've got to play these games. We've got a bit more choice. But you want to see those best combinations come alive. People be rugby ready, which is very different from being a training fit and everything like that for test number one. So look from a player's point of view, there's going to we talked to a lot of last week about individual plans.
Speaker 7: I don't think it's a big deal.
Speaker 6: I think it's some nice shot shots across the bow just to get things started over in wa.
Speaker 5: You get out of the sandpit as well, like you know, lolly shops down the road, that's just a non event. To try and manipulate and force Joe Schmid or the Wallaby group into some sort of change in direction for a high performance plan and succession pathway, I want you mentioned I wanted a conspicuous absence. Difference between I one and ours is now Australia a fixed I.
Speaker 1: Was going to raise this is this not a little bit of a little bit of why not? Why not is there not a little bit of from the Lions have your cake and eat it too, because they are now bleating that supposedly Joe Schmid's not going to release the best talent and make those tour games strong sides and give them a good preparation for the series. But they also, as far as I understand it, the lines were at pains to not have an Australia A game included this tour for fear that it would be a fourth Test.
Speaker 5: Well apparently, and then you know I won. Brumbies went within thirty seconds of Burningham thirteen.
Speaker 8: They beat them. You know, what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: I reckon just you know, it actually plays nicely into the state teams and they're being.
Speaker 4: Told you're not really good enough.
Speaker 3: You boys better need you know, some cavalry from the Wallabies to help you out. Look, look at the Force team that has been named that's undoubtedly the strongest WA side. It wasn't always the Force, but that we've sent out against the Lions that they'll do a good job. There's blokes in there like Nick Champion, d Krepne, who going to be you chomping at the bit to take a few helps and like Goog's point is a good one. Like just because a bloke's name wasn't on the piece of paper last week, joshmir was pointed out yesterday. There are guys that he's deliberately, you know, quote unquote left in the Reds camp to play some footy who haven't played a whole heap of games. So there are a whole bunch of guys who played for the Wallabies a lot of last year. Lukah Salaki, looh Uru, Josh Cannam, Josh Fluke. So that's that team is going to be stacked with Wallabies anyway. And just because they're not named in the squad last week does not mean that they are. You know, that's the only Wallabies that you know would be part of this kind of tour agreement.
Speaker 7: And sorry, let's just talk about the differences in two players.
Speaker 6: A Lions player playing a Force game, it's a first game on the tour.
Speaker 7: Is it a mentality?
Speaker 6: Do I just want to get through where If you've got Sam Carter, who played in the Brumbies team that beat the Lions back in twenty thirteen, he's probably going to play his last game starting alongside Darcy Swain.
Speaker 7: This is Curtly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's a heap of names in there to Krepney, can't wait to see that. Who are chomping, absolutely fizzing to get their hands on these games. Tom Robinson, So you've got a really and that's what's verset gam against a lot And that's what makes this sort of competition really spicy, is for you've got some you know, what's the mentality of the lines, what's the mentality of the Wallabies? And I think that's why we've seen over the course of history you get some wins by state teams and then some blowouts like that's going to happen. But that's what makes the tour so exciting.
Speaker 7: So I love that side of it.
Speaker 2: You know, Simon Crime.
Speaker 1: If you're Simon Crime, do you get the headline or the clote from Ben Calvley and you put it in front of a caged nick champion to Krepney and you just rattle it in front of his face until he froths at the mouth, ready to run out of the stadium.
Speaker 5: You'd be keen to hear your thoughts. I absolutely didn't look for headlines and motivation in Colin space to provoke a performance on the field, and you know exactly what I wanted to do on the dirt, and that was to get through whoever was standing in front of me trying to play against us.
Speaker 2: So being called a plank and an epe never fired you up much.
Speaker 8: Of the morning when Roffy gave me a hand of bananas and everyone was.
Speaker 2: Laughing in the corner the morning of the third Test. But so it worked.
Speaker 5: But what is unhelpful though, is when people who aren't in the inner sanctum of the coaching high performance unit and the players themselves. You're trying to develop a strategy and the Wallabies are trying to develop a strategy now of implementation over a six week period. Some bloke as a CEO no one's ever really heard of, you get does he want to just try and get in the calmn And it's just a bit annoying. You feel like, mate, just pull your head in.
Speaker 4: It was a bit very interesting. Judgment's a smart guy.
Speaker 3: In one of the comments he said to me yesterday was well, I'm not sure if Andy's been part of this conversation.
Speaker 4: It's just the CEO, Andy Farrell, so already he was just kind of going. You know, the coach might not be all that happy about what this.
Speaker 1: Blokes because he and Andy obviously know each other really well for their time in Ireland, but they sort of have a think a bit of an agreement about this being this whole tour being about the rugby and a celebration of rugby and the global aspect of the game and that sort of stuff that it certainly doesn't feel like it's something that would have any of Andy Farrell's fingerprints on Joe Sit.
Speaker 3: He said, yes, there's a lot of plate spinning going on and we discussed it last week.
Speaker 4: That fig Test being played, you know in two weeks time, is it losing trait? My mind's mush.
Speaker 3: But that throws a spanner in the works that hasn't been there for other tools because the Wallabies have to stay and prepare for that, so obviously they're not going to be able to play for the Reds or the Writize pretty much.
Speaker 4: If you're going to be in the first twenty three.
Speaker 3: Of the Wallabies there after that, you know usually you'd probably I can't imagine too many go back to the au n Z game either. Do you need a two week break or with some blokes like to play in that game as well to keep.
Speaker 7: Going individual plan.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think comes down to the individual and you know, Joe's got a cracking plan over that. What was said posts the Argentina game by Andy Farrell and the coaching stuff in terms of relation to that loss, he.
Speaker 2: Was quite critical.
Speaker 1: And we're going to chat to BBC reporter Lauren Jenkins soon and we're going to get the normal Northern hemisphere take on that.
Speaker 8: But yeah, I just in a hunger by too many mistakes.
Speaker 6: I'm really yeah, I'm really interested because you know, we've got Fiji coming up, so similarly that's going to be our first hit out. So how how has the lines reacted to a loss in that space and you know, how do we focus on you know, the Fiji stuff. It's going to be really interesting to see how, you know, who wins this weekend, how does that factor in.
Speaker 7: That's what's so good about this.
Speaker 3: I mean we've talked about kind of the UK media of their own beast and they put a lot of I guess fuel into this week's kind of controversy. If the Force managed to sneak another upset this two wins can you imagine how the worm starts to turn on.
Speaker 2: The loads would certainly type well.
Speaker 6: I also think that lions lost straight off the bat does tighten the screws in a lion's environment as well. So I think the way they prepare, the way they train now is going to look perhaps a bit different to maybe what it looked like the former week. So any team like heat is now just applied a little bit and that's good for a playing group. Well, it can go either way, can't it, But usually it's a good thing for a playground.
Speaker 3: Do you reckon selection that Andy Farrell had a selection plan in mind and you'll stick to that each week, or how flexible that'll get, Like will he go for a strong, strong team this week that he might not have.
Speaker 4: Otherwise? Get off the back of that.
Speaker 6: I don't think he'll change course too much off the back of one performance. The comments I did see was they were loose with the ball, They didn't respect the ball.
Speaker 7: That the way they should have is that right? And it was something along those lines.
Speaker 6: They gave away a lot of things, So you can change that mentality pretty quickly.
Speaker 5: Style of play I would expect it's going to be tightened up go back to a power game. Cert yourself, get control of the game, take away the oxygen the Western Force might have. In open field turnover scenario. Argentina beat them on the turnover and transition from attack to defense, so they're going to starve the game of that opportunity. But to Hoops's point, there'll be an individual plan, there'll be a team plan for that whole period. There's no way Farrell is solving on a week to week basis and changing on the back of that. He's had this plan in play for six months. Looking at the form of players.
Speaker 1: Now we're going to get the Northern Hemisphire perspective in a second. A little bit of updating news is that the Wallabies have released Mount Fesler and Hunter Paissami from camp in Sydney at the moment, so they'll go back to the Reds and be able to play in that tour match. I know some Northern Hemisphere media are claiming that's a win for Calvary in his negotiations with Phil wall but Joe Schmid had said last week that that was probably going to be planned with Fesler anyway. Let's go to BBC reporter Lauren Jenkins joining us now, Lauren, great to have you on insideline.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the country. I know you got in yesterday.
Speaker 1: We've just discussed at length this little bit of four or around Wallaby's players being released or not being released. As quite pointed comments from the Lion co Ben Calveley, what is the take from your perspective, from the Northern Hemisphere perspective.
Speaker 9: Yeah, first of all, good morning guys. It's very much focus on the rugby. That's the emphasis here. The coaches aren't being drawn into any politics. Just to reemphasize what we've already said. It's come from the narrative has come from CEO benk Cavily. He said, it's not just about a performer's perspective. There's an emphasize on wanting the most competitive fixture for broadcasters partners. You know, the rugby love in public. But I think we're probably going to get that. The five players Joe Shmitt released is probably a fair compromise. And look, you go back at Lions tours in the past where they've protected their test players by bringing in players from nearby nations. In twenty thirteen we had Shane Williams jowing the camp in twenty seventeen. You remember, correctly, we had the geography six, so some fans may think us a bit rich generally, though speaking to fans Lions fans, there are plenty who also think it's a necessary aggressive tone to start the tour. That said, I mean you've alluded to it already. We're just being drawn into one of the well known Lions narratives, aren't we. There'll be plenty more. Whenever Lions loses a test we get certain people saying, you know, does it still fit into their modern rugby calendar. We'll have hosts teams over the next few weeks saying they're going to bash the Lions up before the test series starts, and we'll have the Lions fans pretending to be outraged. So strap yourselves in and look, there's part of it that, as you've said, just increases the drama.
Speaker 3: Love it, We love it, Love it, Lauren. Let's turn to the footy. Then, the Lions obviously went down in Dublin last week. How has that been received by the team and have there is ponded to that, What did what did the term take from that? And what can we expect them to respond to in terms of maybe selections, install and overall plan for the tour.
Speaker 5: Yah.
Speaker 9: It's an interesting one, isn't it, Because no one expects a Polish performance in game one, but often did the Lions play the fifth best ranked team in the world. So I was quite I think the reporters generally in the UK were quite surprised by how down Andy Farrell was postmatch, saying, you know, looking internally asking himself, have I prepared the team well enough for this game? Rather than being drawn into talking about the positives there are plenty of them. They got into the twenty two fifteen times the scrum went well and for me, I'm used to interviewing Warren Gatland, so I can tell you postmatch would have reminded the nation that, you know, the players had little time together and they were missing a few. But I think Parrell comes from a much more there no excuses culture in terms of the performance. There were a lot of players missing, you know, ten lengths to players that I expect to come back in this weekend. But they did play. They played quite ambitiously and I've been you know, after you go back in twenty seventeen, even twenty thirteen, the criticism and also from often from the British public, is that teem's never going to beat a Southern hemisphere, so I play in that way. I feel like this time it's completely reversed and people are sort of saying they were overplaying in that Test match in Dublin, Lauren.
Speaker 5: It's a good point that you might right at the start with the pliers and the coaching staff worrying about what's happening on the grass, and you know, the administrative side of it can sort of either keep quiet or just continue to deal in their politics, but it's separate to what's happening on the field. Like it reminds me of I want when we had the squad come down grab Henry was trying to manage some different personalities, very strong personalities in that plying group, bit of division as the team rolled forward, then some non selection selection, an upset winning against Astraia. I do you feel like that there's a bit of danger in that starting to happen where you start to divod administrative from flying group and then the nationality start to come into play, and then the media up there in the north or unforgiving absolutely, is that a danger for this group you reckon, I don't.
Speaker 9: Think so at the moment. That could change if they lose their Saturday of course. Actually, the biggest challenge for Andy Farrell is, you know, how does he keep competition alive in this squad at the moment? How does he make every single player believe they've got a real strong chance of stating the testim only because there's sixteen Irish players in the squad is filled in the coaching team filled with Irish representation and you've got Andy Farrell Island head coach. So for me, the challenge is, you know, you look back at that Argentina game, could you say that some players were overally focused on impressing given they know that you know there were ten Lenster players sat in the stand watching, probably await to net in that Saturday. So we'll see how you go.
Speaker 4: At the minute.
Speaker 9: There are two sort of camps here, or certainly there were two camps coming into Australia. Those who have had match minutes, those who haven't. Expect by Sunday we'll see the majority having played. Other than are a couple of injuries James and Gibson pack and who got to Keenan.
Speaker 1: The two main concerns A Laura, I just want to get Michael Hooper's perspective and on what Justin just asked you there in terms of the peripheral noise. You know, twenty thirteen for the Wallabies, it flipped on the Wallaby's head.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 1: Around the James harwall stomping sort of stuff and the magnifying glass that was put on the team in the squad. Then how do you shut out that or how much does it affect you when you trying to get on with the business of what's on the grasses?
Speaker 7: Justin calls, no, each player will have their own idea on how to do that.
Speaker 6: So I was playing in that twenty thirteen it was my second year in a test jersey, and that stuff didn't even.
Speaker 4: Come on the radar.
Speaker 6: You're thinking about how do I train well on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and get ready for the game on Saturday and put out my best performance. So you know, I'm really excited to be on the other side of the fence this time and actually sort of enjoy all that noise, all the theater that's going to go into these performances because these players, they're just gearing up and there's talking about the British and Irish lines. Tons of talent and top level talent who have performed at the highest level for a long period of time, so noise is part of their every day. This is what they are used to. So I don't think this is going to factor in too much in this point in the tour. It becomes harder to escape though, if things don't go how you want them to go. So Lauren mentions the result on Saturday. It's a big game for both teams on Saturday, so we've talked about it being pretty bay from the get go.
Speaker 7: I think that's probably a fair assessment.
Speaker 1: Sitting on the other side of the fence, maybe contributing to some of the story. Irons now as a pundit as well, Hoops just maybe spicing things up.
Speaker 6: Nah, I've got nothing, mate. I think the talk is going to be done on the field. Hey, you know, we talked about d Krepney this Saturday, and you're waving a bit of a you know, incentive for him to I don't think you need to wave any incentive in front of certainly these Western Force players, and I also think for these lines guys.
Speaker 7: So it's going to make a cracking first one on Australian Shaws.
Speaker 2: Yeah, come wait for Lauren. Great to have you. I want to finish with just one question. You mentioned the injuries.
Speaker 1: Did Jameson Gibson Park Blair Kinghorn, who people might not even realize is not with the squad at the moment.
Speaker 2: He's still in France.
Speaker 1: He plays for Toulouse who are into the Top fourteen final, but he didn't even play in the semi finals.
Speaker 2: So what's the update on.
Speaker 1: The injuries on those two guys who are in most people's mind starters for the first Test.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I've been telling black Knghn is good to go. Well, they expect him to be potentially up for consideration for the final. I think it's the goo injury to James and Gibson pack is probably the most not what don't use the word serious, but the biggest concern. And then who got Keenan? Another ones you could you know you could finish Saturday when you look at the front runners for that fifteen Jersey arguably blecking on who got Keenan? Yes, Marcus Smith has played a fair bit there for England and was there against Argentina. But we could be going into next week. Well, certainly without king Hon and potentially without Keenan having had a runout. Not too many other injury concerns. It's all about now, you know how combinations. I guess the midfield is a big one. We saw Bendiaki see only too plot to pair up for the first time in midfield against Argentina somep and it's perhaps a bit critical it was too much of a physical back line. Now we're going to see more of a ball play and Gary ring Rose, who Jones even come in. So I expect expect fing Russell to be back at ten. I expect the Leinster players to be involved. And then in terms of guessing the fifteen for the Test team, I wouldn't. I'd be waked in from potentially the war Atas game and that that final game against the invitational side the Saturday before to have a much more clear idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very interesting.
Speaker 1: There'll be speculation every day of the week, whether it's two weeks out or three days from that first test. Well dodged there, well he survived the first bomb in Perth. Great to have you on inside, Lion Lauren, look forward to seeing you.
Speaker 9: Plenty of us that hasn't happened sooner.
Speaker 2: To be honest, he stood the testing time and cheers Lauren.
Speaker 1: How good to have Lauren Jenkins from the BBC Sport joining us on Inside Lion or.
Speaker 4: Lauren she's joined Our podcasts are already kicking boards. You think that's quite well? Maybe right?
Speaker 5: The Northern Hemisphere are going through their own selection conundrums and criteria. So a gouple of names who are playing in the British and Irish files, teams based teams, French competition, nothing like a test series on the line you want to win. That changes selection pains.
Speaker 6: And also what does Andy Farrell do with potential injuries, Like if the guys out for two weeks, you've got four countries to choose from, Like surely do you bring someone back in?
Speaker 7: Do you like it's such a connuntion?
Speaker 1: This is a question I was thinking as I was listening to Lauren to come to you with if there seems to be this big assumption that the way the side players is going to be heavily influenced by Leinster and therefore the way Island play. That's that's the country that Andy Farrell coaches, and that's certainly the way they played against Argentina. If even without the Leinster players, if they don't have Jameson Gibson Park, who's the nine for Leinster nine for Ireland, they start with Finn Russell at ten, do all the plans for potentially Leinster style of player go out the window.
Speaker 6: Well that's assuming the fact they want to play a Leinster style, like, yeah, they've got enough cattle there. But is Andy Farrell coming in and saying, hey, guys, because I don't know how well this will be received if you come in and go we're going to play Leinster rugby to the players and they go, well, we don't want to play with Leicester Rugby Leinster rugby. Rather, you know that we've got all this talent here, Why do we have to play Leinster rugby? Or do you come in and say we're going to play a Lions brand of rugby and each nationality that you bring in can add their certain flavor to it and we're going to create this unique brand of football, which I think as a player would be a much more enticing prospector then coming in and playing after a certain team or country.
Speaker 1: Yeah good, As I mentioned, great to have Lauren on the show, we're going to have a hopefully throughout the series as well.
Speaker 2: Just for the update from the Northern Hemisphere.
Speaker 1: We've got questions from fans, so time for mailbag. Naturally, the punters very excited about the Lion series, so Mailbag.
Speaker 2: Has been inundated with questions.
Speaker 1: First, cab off the rank from Turbo Jones at Turbo j Jones, look at this, We've up the graphics, graphics, We've got the questions in the wall. Now asks who's the legend that had the idea for the name change referencing inside line becoming inside line for.
Speaker 6: The next Well, I've got a theory on this, Yeah, that you came up with a name and you're also turbo Jjobs.
Speaker 2: You're wrong in both counts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've heard it.
Speaker 1: Can I kind of elaborate on that theory because the name is Turbo Jones and the actual the actual credit needs to go to head of production at stan Sport, Ben Jones. He may have he used his own burner account, which is terribly named. But congratulations are bj very punny of you? Inside line for the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Great question this one.
Speaker 1: The next one from footy fan who would like to know would now be the best time to have names on the back of jerseys for the Wallabies. Now is the time to get exposure and associate names with faces. The Lions are doing it and I've noticed the Wallaroos are doing it as well.
Speaker 2: I love the idea. Why are we not doing it?
Speaker 8: Yeah? I love it too. Not sure we're not doing it?
Speaker 2: Can it be a is there a licensing thing? Is there a ip thing?
Speaker 4: Is it hard to do?
Speaker 3: I think it's been discussed in the past without going too far, but like looking at it, like, you know, the general sports fan, how many times do we see now walking down the street NBA singlets and it's all got to do with.
Speaker 4: Their favorite player, you know, like.
Speaker 3: Probably lots of kids who want to get a Wallaby's jersey number seven Hooper. You know, it's we've had, We've had a complicated relationship with wearing you know, Wallabies jerseys over the two thousand and one tour was probably the turning point after the Sea.
Speaker 4: Have read of the Gabba. But I think it'd be great. Like people have their favorite players.
Speaker 3: How many soals would we have it? It'd be fantastic and it would also identify and we often hear this. No one knows who the Wallabies aren't, don't know enough of them anyway, be a good way to change it.
Speaker 1: They currently sell that space on the back above the number to Santos, which imagine is a pretty lucrative sponsorship opportunity. But there's space below the number, so there's no reason why it can't be put there.
Speaker 6: You just have to go down to Club Rugby and see how many sponsors you can get on a pair of shorts down there.
Speaker 7: There's plenty of billboards. Yeah, yeah, billboard, so there's plenty of space.
Speaker 6: Well, I just think if they're going to do it, make them jerseys that the fans are happy to wear, like the ones that you wear playing. Are tight like they're ready so guys can't grab you and girls can't grab you, you know, on the field, so you don't get pulled down unnecessarily. Make them comfy so it's nice, like a woolen one that you could wear that goog war thirty five years ago.
Speaker 1: I am going to give a free plug the Best and Less here because I want people in as much gold as possible. You can currently get licensed Wallaby's supporter kit from Best and Less for very affordable prices. You can get a hat, scarf, jersey, long sleeve cotton for you. Michael Hooper, thank you for about seventy five bucks for the whole bundle. So there's an unsolicited, it's unapproved free plug.
Speaker 5: Have a plug for Cannaby to remember the year twelve, remember your twelve jerseys, and you could get the Cannby jersey and you can put your nickname on the back.
Speaker 8: What'd you get? What'd you get? Nicknamed?
Speaker 7: Honestly think it was meathead.
Speaker 6: I think it was out of pressure, because I got a fair bit of that. No, that wasn't self nominated pressure. I don't think you were allowed to choose our own names.
Speaker 8: It was like our group you meathead? Did you?
Speaker 2: It was yours?
Speaker 8: I had? I had brother. Rugby wasn't a thing for me. Wasn't good.
Speaker 2: He wren't a bad egg yet.
Speaker 8: No, it wasn't good.
Speaker 2: Excellent great question, footy fan. Thank you very much. We'll start pressing the case.
Speaker 4: We are on the case in playing cards up.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yes, so I've had a little bit of a win there. I think that's coming. This one from Harley Tessarero. I had to get him to phonetically spell his name. So great question this, Who is going to have their goog moment in this line series career defining play?
Speaker 5: You sure that's not my account? Thanks love, Thanks boys, It's not a it's it's so. I always had a lunch with Sir John Hills, call him Sir Nobody, and he said, look, there's lots during that line series's heaps of moments. I Burkey had a moment, Raffi had his moment, and that was the difference. That was the squad mentality, right, Everyone contributed Herbie's two tries, all those sorts of things. So I think there's going to be multiple, multiple people that we can identify during this series we're going to lean in have their moment.
Speaker 6: I think what we can guarantee is that a kicker will be involved in that in some way, so with you know, both both coaches picking aside.
Speaker 7: Kicking is so important.
Speaker 6: We saw in the twenty thirteen games decided on kicks, so we know that there's going to be a kicker involved. So I think we've we've got to pick a team with that in mind.
Speaker 1: I think it might be the kit man who brings along the brush to brush the bottom of the boot, so there's no slippitch.
Speaker 3: It's a good point, I reckon there's going to be like you have a lot of the forwards unless there's another kind of style of line out. You guys like Bobby v and that are going to be the grunt men. But the guy who I think has been kind of the X factor player of the last year or two is Tom Wright and Tom right carving through the line.
Speaker 4: Try to win the third Test?
Speaker 8: That to do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll have the try he scored against Wales last year.
Speaker 1: That was amazing, good shout, great question, Thank you very much, Harley t last one from Sidestep Rugby. Heyatko, what happened to the Tom Richards Trophy? Thanks mate, love your work. I didn't add that last bit the part of the tweet now the questions addressed to me. But Peto, I know you are in the know in terms of the Tom Richards Trophy, which is what the specific trophy the Wallabies and the lines used to compete for.
Speaker 2: Yep, and they won't have brought that in.
Speaker 3: In two thousand and one, so you guys drank out if it was a Waterford Crystal Cup named after Tom Richards, who was a Wallaby and a Lion, was the first Australian player to do it.
Speaker 4: There was another fellow call Blessed Wanell who also did it, and ford Itck Gallipoli won an Olympic gold medal.
Speaker 3: Tom Richards, so he's quite quite an incredible life, rightly. The trophy was named after him in two thousand and one, competed for it in twenty one thirteen. The Lines in twenty twenty one decided because they play against US for that one, and against the Kiwis for a different one, and against South Africa a different one again, that they wanted to play for one trophy, a perpetual trophy for each nation. I guess similar to the World Cup. You win it, you get a replica or whatever.
Speaker 4: I think there was.
Speaker 3: I don't know that there was a hell of a lot of consultation with Australia, the pretty powerful entity of the Lines. In any case, that kind of crept up to the point where, yeah, there's.
Speaker 4: They're going to compete for this trophy.
Speaker 3: But the AAU wanted to maintain the Tom Richards connection that's been transferred into the Tom Richards Medal for.
Speaker 2: Player of the Series.
Speaker 4: So and then Tom rich family. I spoke to some of them. They're they're okay with it. So it's as you know, it's nice that that will still be a connecting point to Do we know what those.
Speaker 3: Series perpetual trophies called. Is it called what is the Lions trophy or something?
Speaker 4: Is it pretty? Yeah? I mean it's you know, it's a fancy looking thing.
Speaker 5: But did they get do you remember the trinations troping first iterations?
Speaker 4: Yeah, fitz Patrick, they got the dimensions heard that story.
Speaker 8: It was they missed it.
Speaker 1: How Imperial Metrians just make that call without consulting they did?
Speaker 4: I think there was consultation.
Speaker 3: But you know, look the lines they bring a tour worth one hundred million dollars to a to a national union, to the country.
Speaker 4: There's a little bit of a.
Speaker 3: You know, the the b C C I in cricket terms, is that they're pretty powerful in that sense. I don't know that even if Strada kicked up a huge stink that what is it? Is it now a pewter thing or it's a big tall kind of trophy?
Speaker 2: Is there a cup?
Speaker 4: Is there is there a vessel in the drink out of it?
Speaker 2: I don't know that that doesn't it doesn't find a way, can't you waterfalls?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you can always seen those ice statues that the water just saw.
Speaker 7: The beer runs down it, and you can make it work.
Speaker 1: It doesn't keep the past the pub tests far. I'm concerned if it doesn't have a vessel for carrying.
Speaker 7: Beer, because you've got small hands and can't carry the beers.
Speaker 8: So that's really that's where a sponsorship comes in.
Speaker 4: Okay, very good.
Speaker 1: That's a good place to leave it before I get sledged anymore.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 2: Great to have your meathead. You can come back any
Speaker 8: One one