S1: Virginia Giuffre helped vanquish a prince and a millionaire.
S2: And I won't stop fighting. I will never be silenced.
S1: But one of her toughest battles was a very private one.
S3: It was the worst thing that could have happened to her. Her children were her life.
S1: Virginia, a podcast from the newsrooms of the age, The Sydney Morning Herald and WA today. Coming soon.
S4: I'm Jacqueline Maley, and this is Inside Politics from the newsrooms of the Sydney Morning Herald and the age. We're very happy to have our very own chief political correspondent, Paul Circle, back in the country this week for the podcast. He's been at the Soccer World Cup. Paul, how was it?
S5: It was extremely fun, probably one of the best trips of my life. But I was wondering just in the prep for this podcast, if it was more ill advised to take off your excellent goalkeeper before a penalty shoot out, or if it was even more ill advised to joke about the Japanese prime Minister's melons on a podcast for the Australian Prime Minister.
S4: Nice segue there, because, of course, what Paul's talking about is the really the big talking point story of the week. That was this podcast that Anthony Albanese did. I think it came out late last week, but the controversy didn't really break until this week. Paul, tell us, what was that all about?
S5: It's called Bush Deep. A woman called Nikki Osborne, who's a former model and now a now podcaster, runs it. It's kind of it's full of double entendres. It's a bit bawdy. She calls herself a Bushi, which of course is also a double entendre, full of kind of sexual gags and light FM style Kyle Sandilands like content. I'd describe it as.
S4: The Prime Minister was doing his best to sort of keep up with her brand of bawdy humour, as you put it. What were the main things that he said that offended people?
S5: Well, the key one that generated news this week was a game of I always understood the game to be shag, marry, kill, but this one was perhaps a more PG version, which is shag marry date, which really doesn't create much jeopardy in the choices and the choices stakes.
S4: The stakes.
S5: Are. The stakes are way too low.
S4: For poor Sir Karl.
S5: And the options that the Prime Minister were given were Rhonda Burchmore, Nicole Kidman and Kylie Minogue. And the Prime Minister looked a little bit reluctant at first to engage in it. A little bit of a pause, but he agreed with the questioner's answer that Kylie might be the the top pick there. And so the idea of the Prime Minister giving preferences on who he would sleep with, while obviously tongue in cheek, probably inoffensive to a lot of Australians, is arguably unbecoming for someone in that role. I thought there were other elements of it that stuck out to me even more. Just as I read the stories on this this week, which was, I think the Prime Minister actually leant into this one a bit more than perhaps the shag, marry kill question, which was around the Japanese prime minister bringing melons and him joking about melons in a in a physical connotation.
S4: Yeah. The setup was that this woman, Bush deep. Nikki Osborne, asked him what was the strangest gift that he'd been given by a foreign leader. And he said, um, yeah, the Japanese prime Minister, Sanna Takaichi. AM I saying that right?
S5: Yeah, I think that's pretty much right.
S4: Yeah, yeah. Um, she brought melons to the lodge, and so he was sort of raising his eyebrows about it. And then there was a bunch of jokes about melons. She came in with two melons, Pamela Anderson, etc. so it's just like really predictable. I mean, I don't even know, like, I just find this stuff so wearying, that kind of humor. But for me, it was kind of like the Japanese. It's the Japanese prime minister. Like, isn't that a diplomatic incident to kind of mock her or to kind of gracelessly sort of cast aspersions on the gift that she brought.
S5: It's and she's, um, among many straight edged world leaders, she's perhaps one of the most straight edged. I don't think she'd appreciate that type of humor at all.
S4: Japan's an important ally. I just thought that was an odd thing to do in the context of the, the, a humorous podcast that's clearly going to get back to her through diplomatic channels anyway.
S5: It was. And I think there's a genuine question and a fair argument from conservatives, or at least a plausible argument that if this was a coalition prime minister, there would have been a quicker, more fierce reaction at a joke like that towards a female world leader. And then the last bit, and I know we want to move on from this because it's important, but at the end of the day, probably trivial, trivial in the terms of the governance of the country. There was some jokes from the Prime Minister around when he and his new wife would, um, you know, get into bed together. And this was a kind of back and forth on when, when the right moment was for them. And, you know, I get that we're in the highly difficult media environment to get your voice into the algorithm. Politicians across the world are grappling with this. You look at the feeds of Australian politicians, particularly on the left, and it's full of TikTok dances. It's full of these, um, you know, new formats that are kind of used physical humor and song to get into your, get into your attention and cause you not to scroll past this inevitably leads to some awkward moments. You've got to have a crack to get into people's algorithms. So there's risk there. And so I empathise with the Prime Minister. Um, and as I said earlier, I don't think the majority of Australians would have found this highly offensive. But what this kind of content leads to is, you know, riskier moments where you might fall into some traps. Reminds me of Peter Dutton, and some of his worst moments were on talkback radio with Ray Hadley. He'd get in these long winded back and forths with no challenging questions, and he'd let things slip. And just maybe just a final point. If we're in the era of where we've normalised Kyle Sandilands for as long as we have that kind of FM talkback content is not dissimilar to this bushy podcast really at all. So perhaps this is just the new world. Standards are lower. People move on very quickly. This is the internet.
S4: Yeah. I mean, I guess I have a few thoughts about it. Like you say, it's not offensive to the majority of Australians and I'm sure it's not. And on one reading, it's like, oh, you know, like he's just making this sort of off the cuff comment about Kylie Minogue, who's like pretty hot, let's face it. Um, I, I don't think that politicians should engage in that stuff. Maybe I'm a prude, but I also think, I think the rule for politicians is like 100 fold. The rule for just general people in any kind of professional workplace, which is just don't talk about don't talk about other people in a sexual context, particularly men. Don't talk about women in a sexual context. Just don't do it. Um, just avoid it. And I thought we were all on the same page with that stuff now. And it's not offensive, but it's exclusionary. I mean, I don't find that funny. I don't like women. Women aren't laughing along to like, oh yeah, you know, melons like Kylie Minogue. So hot. Yeah, I'd shag her. Women aren't women aren't laughing along to that. Like it's a, it's a it's a joke for men to men that excludes women and that that that's even notwithstanding the fact that it was a woman who asked it. The other thing that that I guess bugged me about the whole thing was just. It was so low brow and I, I don't want to be a snob, and I don't think I am a snob, but if that is the level of our sort of funny political debate or our satirical political debate in America, they have this amazing tradition of, you know, late night shows where they do really, really pointy political satire and they have politicians on sometimes, and they do a great job of satirizing them, but also joking with them. In England, they have a similar tradition. In France, they you know, as I said in my column, they literally have philosophers on television talking about politics. And like, if this is our cultural output and this is the kind of thing that politicians are cooperating with, like, Lord, help us. It's just so lowbrow.
S5: What do you think it means, Jack, for the Prime Minister's legacy on women's issues? Does it have a material effect on his legacy?
S4: So that's interesting. So I got a text message, like a very sort of robust text message from someone in the coalition world, shall I say. And they said, if this was Tony Abbott, like, you know, people would be calling for his resignation. And they and, you know, all the times that Tony Abbott sort of transgressed in similar ways. So, you know, he called Fiona Scott the candidate for, um, for the liberal candidate for Lindsay.
S5: Hot or sexy sex appeal.
S4: That's right. She said said she had sex appeal. He said sort of a similar thing about his own daughters or he said they were not bad looking daughters. Um, there was you know, there was also the famous incident where he was on ABC radio with Jon Faine in Melbourne, and a woman came on the line who was who said that she had sort of worked as a sex, as a sex worker on phone, phone, sex operator, because she was so hard up. And Tony Abbott was caught winking at Jon Faine in a sort of bawdy way. Right. And he was slayed for that. Like he really was slayed for it. And this person was like, why is the media not treating this in the in the same way? Now I think we did. I think we did call Anthony Albanese out for it. But certainly all of the labor politicians who who were the foot soldiers who were sent out to defend him. So Tanya Plibersek and Richard Marles went on radio that morning. He'd apologised unequivocally, which I guess, you know, you've got to give him credit for that. Um and they all came out and said, well, look at what he's done. This is the best prime minister and the best government for women's rights. And I think that's probably the crucial difference. You could not say that about Tony Abbott, who famously only had one woman in his cabinet, and that he was sort of forced to have her.
S5: That's fair. If you're judging him on on the merits of that theme or that policy area. Surely the actual policy record matters to some extent. I did feel very sorry for Tanya Plibersek because I think it was Monday morning she went out on breakfast TV in a regular slot, which means that the Prime Minister's office is well aware that she's on at that time, and she had to grit her teeth and talk about the record on women's policy, but was not able to say that the Prime Minister had apologized or would apologize. And I think a short time later, perhaps hours. But I could be wrong on that. The Prime Minister put out a very clear cut and concise message, saying he unequivocally apologised. So spare a thought for Tanya Plibersek, who's not a not a close friend of the Prime Minister's in general.
S4: No, they they they're probably not simpatico at the best of times. So, I mean, I don't know what it says really, except that, yeah, it's very difficult for politicians to navigate traditional media in, you know, the things that they've always had to do, like go on 730, talk to Sydney Morning Herald and the Age. Um, you know, go on ABC radio. And now they have to just, there's, you know, people are so siloed, so they have to be able to reach people in all sorts of different ways. So I get that they would want to do this kind of stuff. I just think maybe you've got to exercise better judgment or, you know, at least go in there thinking, I'm not going to answer any sexual questions. Like it's a really, really low bar. Yeah.
S5: And you, you would think he'd he's learnt his lesson. There was a slip up in a similar moment in a not, not quite exactly the same, but a similarly open conversation with, I think, a News Corp newspaper editor a few months ago. And it was one of those forums where they give you, uh, they demand a one word response to another person's name. They said grace tame. And he said difficult. He had to apologize for that as well. So these forums are really hard for politicians. Um, but if the, if the overall aim is to try and get your voice into the mix and say something compelling enough or funny enough or entertaining enough to get eyeballs onto it, I'd argue that not enough of our politicians are making compelling policy arguments or points about the country, or making controversial, um, entrances into interesting, important debates to get their voice heard.
S4: Yeah, I think it goes back to authenticity. It's like this sort of weird thing where they they do this sort of stuff because it's like, oh, I've got to be relatable and authentic, and I want to be seen in a forum where I'm a normal person, not speaking like a political robot. But then you go into that forum and like Anthony Albanese has basically just had to backtrack on all the stuff that he supposedly said in an off the cuff, casual way, in a sort of the real him kind of way. He apologised unequivocally for it, and all of his ministers were like, well, that's not really what he's done in, in, in his actual public life in policy. So was it authentic or was it not? I mean it, yeah. I mean, I don't know what the solution is. I don't know if I was a media adviser to a politician, what I would tell them to do or not do. But surely it has to be in keeping with your own value system and in keeping with what you're comfortable out of on a personality level, you know, because people, people will see through it. Okay, let's switch gears now to the economy. Deloitte Access Economics has released a report this week about the economic conditions of different OECD countries. And it found that Australia has very sluggish growth. We've got much higher inflation than most OECD countries, and our living standards are going backwards. What else did it say, Paul?
S5: Yeah, totally grim set of economic data. The AFR reported on Monday that Australia's 3.6% underlying inflation rate was the equal highest among developed countries. Then there was the Deloitte report you refer to, which says that the country's on track for its first consecutive sub 2% growth era since the 1990s, recession in the very early 90s. And then there was the OECD report, which said that Australian real wages have fallen by 5% over the past five years, which is one of the worst results out of the 38 member nations. Pretty jarring time for that set of data to come through, given the government has adopted quite a triumphalist economic tone post its budget passing the parliament. There are obviously historic reforms to the housing market, but the counter to the or the criticism of the budget was that the CGT changes might actually stifle the economy further. At a time when we've been through a period of sclerotic growth.
S4: Yeah. I mean, the RBA governor, Michele Bullock, did sort of say, I think at the last rates decision, a slow run in the economy is sort of what we need, because we need that inflation to come down. So, you know, it's not what anybody wants to hear, but I suppose it's hard to mount any kind of economic triumphalist argument, as you say, if inflation is this high because inflation just ruins everything. It just bites. There's no point getting a salary increase or the wage increases that the government has managed, managed to get for low paid workers, because it all just gets eaten up when you go and do supermarket shopping or you pay rent or whatever. So it kind of ruins the whole economic pie. What did Treasurer Jim Chalmers say in response to these data points?
S5: Well, the treasurer talks about the fact that real wages have grown for quite a significant period of this government's life. There's been a better record than the previous government on that issue. There's some really interesting data that some research sorry, that our colleague Liam Mannix, our science reporter, published yesterday on how inflation affects people's psyches and political cycles. And there's strong data that now suggests that over a period since 1948, over, I think nearly 400 elections, when inflation rises well above expectations, extremist and populist parties have a really, really good time. Because when people see higher prices than they can afford, that creates a sense of general unfairness, and people look to alternatives. And the issue with our inflation trajectory at the moment is that even when our economy just starts to tick up into some higher than expected growth numbers, we see inflation tick up again, because our low productivity economy means that we can't sustain high levels of growth. So we're kind of locked into this locked into this moment of low growth, high inflation at the moment or relatively high inflation. And it's kind of unclear how we break the cycle. AI is one clear opportunity. Uh, our GDP has been propped up by big investment in data centers, and the prospect of AI filtering out across the economy could be our first high productivity moment in a long time, but then we're going to run into all these other challenges around social license for data centers, unions, um, urging more involvement in the AI rollout and still trade offs there as well.
S4: And copyright as a, as an author. I mean, they just rip off these large language models, just rip off books and just steal people's content. The data center thing, certainly the government is trying to, um, represent it as a is a huge economic opportunity and a big boom for us. And maybe it will be, but the RBA actually warned this week that those data centers might add to inflation pressures. Because if you have all this demand coming into the economy, so demand for labor workers and particularly energy, and because our productivity is not great, we just can't handle the demand. So it all gets sucked up by the data centers. Everybody else loses those resources and prices go up. So even though AI might be better, hopefully will be better for productivity in the long run. In the short term, it might make inflation worse.
S5: Yeah, there's a big political firestorm coming over data centers where we're in the a handful of countries in the world on investment. We have great land and energy resources. Uh, Ed Husic, the former industry minister who was dumped by the prime minister, is far more gloomy on AI and its role in Australia than than the ministers in charge at the moment. And Husic has been saying this week that at a time when main nation building goal is to build housing will be diverting construction resources to build data centres, which he says are merely a function of AI firms trying to justify their huge share market valuations rather than actually building. Uh, you know, centres that are going to be required to, um, feed into our, our, our economies. So he's saying we're effectively building data centres because tech tech firms in America need to find land at the same time as we're struggling to build enough houses.
S4: Yeah. Because a lot of people are saying that they've overinvested basically in this technology and they need to recoup some some of that investment. Um, yeah. I mean, and that is a good point about diverting. I mean, we're already having enough trouble building enough houses and we've got a labor shortage and we've got supply shortages that are contributing to that. Yeah. I don't know how it all works, but it'll be interesting. Hey, listen, um, just quickly, the Prime Minister has been in Fiji this week, and then we had obviously a missile launch from China following. We signed a mutual defense pact with Fiji. And sort of in a petulant display, you might say China immediately launched this missile. What was what was that all about?
S5: Yeah. Another important moment on the government's Pacific strategy. It's been a real win for this government over a period of years. Now, how many deals they've been able to sign with Pacific nations as intense competition with China in that region to gain ascendancy and build, build security and defence relationships with these, uh, geographically important nations. And we just keep having wins. The J one was a surprise announcement, and the depth of the agreement was also a surprise. And then, as you said, I think it was a day later, China fired a nuclear capable ballistic missile across the Pacific without giving much notice. And we saw for the first time in quite a while, Australian ministers language ratchet up towards China. There's the, you know, agree where we can disagree, where we must mantra. We saw a small, um, reversion to some more hawkish language given China's, as you say, petulant action which really annoyed our Pacific neighbours is an assertion of Chinese dominance. Uh, another sign for the Pacific that they are dealing with a nation that has huge military might, big expansionary intent that yes, it might build any building or freeway or port that these Pacific nations would like, but they adopt this aggressive stance and remind the Pacific and the world. This has made waves in Europe and America as well, that they that they do have an aggressive edge. So it was an important week in China relations, which we don't have enough time to go in into.
S4: Yeah, yeah. There are always sort of teetering on the edge of aggression, it seems. And then Narendra Narendra Modi, the hugely popular Indian prime minister, at least he's hugely popular with the diaspora here in Australia. He's in Australia this week. The Prime Minister is trying to sort of bask in his limelight, if you like. They'll be at the Marvel Stadium in Melbourne with people from the Indian diaspora who live down in Melbourne, and it'll be a fun time. Anthony Albanese is going to be there. He's he's done this before with Narendra Modi, where he kind of. This was in Sydney and I think it was during the election campaign. And he sort of said, you know, the only other person that gets this kind of reception is Bruce Springsteen, the boss. So it was a mutual love fest. It's kind of like, um, it's going to be good press, surely, for Anthony Albanese.
S5: Great press. I suspect there'll be no mention from Anthony Albanese about Narendra Modi's quite questionable. Human rights record. Uh, there's two there's two elements to this. There's the geopolitical hedge against China. India is a really important player there in that region. And a, and a big block that, you know, is not in in the pro-China world. It's not quite in the pro America world either. So it's crucial to keep India on side. So there is that important geopolitical task. But the Indian diaspora in Australia means that relations with India are also a domestically important issue. And it's a really key part of Labor's voting coalition.
S4: And surely this is um you know, it's a bit of a sort of he's he'd be making a bit of a point, sort of standing alongside the Indian Prime Minister, as you say, in front of Indian born voters or people of Indian background, voters, at a time when his main political competitors coalition, the Coalition and One Nation, are very, very reluctant to even say that they support multiculturalism. So it's a bit of a statement in that sense.
S5: Very striking contrast, I agree.
S4: Yeah, Paul, that was really interesting. It was a big news week and it's really good to have you back. We'll see you next week. Who knows what might happen then. Maybe we should. Um, I don't know. Maybe we should get more bawdy on our podcast.
S5: I actually love Kylie Minogue. She's one of my favorite. Like her dance music is fantastic. Yeah, we're highbrow and people probably think we're annoying and distasteful. So that's the world.
S4: Yeah. Okay, let's be annoying. Distasteful. Let's keep doing that next week.
S6: See Jack.
S4: You can read all of our political news on our website dot com.au or smh.com.au. Today's episode was produced by Kea Wong. Our executive producer is Tammy Mills, and our podcasts are overseen by Lisa Muxworthy and Tom McKendrick. Before you go, follow Inside Politics and leave a review for us on Apple or Spotify. I'm Jacqueline Maley, thank you for listening.