Speaker 1: Now, yeah, you made tune in from time to time as Steve Grumpy Collins. He puts us on the road again. We talked travel which means we are on the road again music with my friend all road again Stephen Grumpy Collins from his I said YouTube ge that's right Steve Collins, a traveler, that's you.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Well, happy birthday.
Speaker 1: To you to man, we've had a few together over the years.
Speaker 2: Well, I think you're twenty three again? Is that correct?
Speaker 1: That would be very kind if that were in a case. But would you want to be twenty three again? No, No, wouldn't want to be twenty three I'd probably want to be thirty three again.
Speaker 2: And know what I know that's pretty good, Yeah, because you're sort of established in your life and yeah, a little bit more mature. Yeah that's that's not a bad age, is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Good birtha thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: That'll do and near enough. Now I threw it open about the Strateger's weirdest names and or suburb names. And as you well know, when first moved to w A and you'd remember this fondly. Two young girls in the car, wife, two young girls arrive in a little car. We get there and we go where we Anyway, somebody, a real estate agent, organized for us to move into a suburb called in a lou.
Speaker 4: We'll see.
Speaker 2: I like that one, but I prefer a Swan.
Speaker 1: A Swan was the other one, but in a Loup And over the years I've got the idea of it. But when you first arrived there and they said, look, found you this lovely place for you to stay in a Loo and you've got two little girls in the car thinking that's really funny.
Speaker 2: No, well, no, no, no. Before we get onto this, do you mind if I mentioned something I like to congratulate someone. I'd like to congratulate Sue McDougal, who was a director of the West Australian Botanic Gardens. I've been there tonight. They've got nightscape, LightScape. I do this every with it. But now we need to call her Sue mcdogle. Oh a M. You kidding, No, I'm not kidding. In this year's King's Birthday Honors, she has been awarded the A M.
Speaker 1: And do you know what she got at four turning for hosting guardening programs.
Speaker 2: You're right, no, she didn't. Long time servers to auder culture fruit media role well, hang.
Speaker 1: On, I hosted it with her. I should get the OAM as well.
Speaker 2: Produced for fifteen years.
Speaker 1: That's fantasy. I wish I'd known. I wish i'd known.
Speaker 2: No I came out of the blue. Yeah, anybody from six PR would. So she was doing our Guardian sessions on Saturdays and Sundays and also mid week. Oh years and years, wasn't it that I produced for fifteen years? At least we love this person.
Speaker 1: We love Sue. People would have seen on TV over the years, Sue McDougall, and these days she looks after the beautiful King's Park.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, the botanic gardens up there, which are just done it. I mean, it's going to be one of the best locations because it's on top of Mountain Lives and in Kings Park and you get fan caastic views of the city and the Swan River from up there. But the other thing is Western Australia's got something like sixteen thousand native wildflowers and if you go there in late August and September, it just comes alive with color. That's amazing. Our wildflowers are just brilliant. So yeah, good luck to Sue. She finally deserves it. She's a fantastic person. As you know, she's a really really good broadcaster, and she she helped literally thousands of people through her media commitments.
Speaker 1: Thousands and thousands of people. She's been she's been amazing and doing it. And you know, during that time too, when we were working with her, she was studying and studying very hard to become one of the great. You know, she's a guarding whiz anyway, but she studies and those every single plant and knows the history of plants. She's an amazing young woman. And she wanted to give her a call later today.
Speaker 2: And people would ring in, and she said, what's that? Being by years, you say what suburb was from, and she would know the soil type in every suburb of Ear. She was just she's just amazing.
Speaker 1: Which is not easy because given most of its sand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: It would manage them. Look at these Look at these texts coming in the town name called cool ya noobbing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, yep, they're all over. Well, get some calls they've got now, I haven't got any that. There's some deliciously dirty names, but I haven't got any of those. For your Tony but I'm going to tell you my favorite, because this is a fantastic It's called Useless Sloop and it's in Shark Bay, which is a wonderful area, but basically it's a company town. There's about seventy people live there, and it services the solar salt operation in Shark Bay. This isn't meant. I've flown over it. And they've got these huge ponds where they put in salt water. And the reason that they do it in Shark Bay is because Shark Bay is parts of a double the saline of normal seawater, so they get really quality stalt there and they export something like one point six million tons a year and it is said to be the purest sault in the world, something like ninety nine point nine percent pure. And it's got such a great name Uselessly. But if there's anything about this place, it's definitely not useless, because it's in a prime position in order to sell souls. This wonderful place.
Speaker 1: Now there's another one here. I'm going to make sure I get this correct. Will Will Will Wonka, Will Will Wonder, Will Will Wonka.
Speaker 2: Well, I've heard of Willie Wonka. I don't know about Will will.
Speaker 1: We will want it well, I'm assuming it's somewhere in South Australia. Will take some calls one double three six nine three the weirdest named suburb or towns anywhere around Australia. Come and join us one double three six nine three. Steve got By Collins. I'm turning back for Australia overnight, Steve Collins, Trevlaer. I have a look at his you tube so it's fantastic. I'll tell you what you've made my morning with their great news about Susie MacDougall. That's wonderful, just great news.
Speaker 2: Oh am, it's my birthday gift to you.
Speaker 1: Tony, Thank you and much appreciated. A lovely text. Here. We're just talking about those very strange names right across Australia. And there's one here that came in with regards to a place called It was not far from Yay. It's called Yak. Why Yak? Now are you familiar with Yak?
Speaker 2: No of Yay but not Yak.
Speaker 1: Well, let me tell you about Yak Why A R c K not farther just the other side of Yay in Victoria. And what can I tell you about Yak? Well, it's about an hour and forty six minutes the other side of Melbourne. That's about what I can tell you. This stage by aarc k and people would often go, they travel all the way to yak simple to have a kiss.
Speaker 2: Really okay, what was it? A yarky kiss.
Speaker 1: That I think? I think that was the plan. What have you got on your list?
Speaker 2: Well, I've got well, I'll go I've got there's some fabulous names in Victoria. What about buyer Duck now by the township of the Southern Grampians in the in the western district of Victoria, by a duck. I mean what if you went there to buy a duck and they run out?
Speaker 1: Yes, it is forgotten about that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, buy a duck and you would know this one lovely Bottom because it's in the Ara Valley and lovely Bottom. Yeah, that's it's.
Speaker 1: A it's a listen. You're not coming on the program and just making up those stupid names.
Speaker 4: I know it.
Speaker 2: There's a vineyard there in the Ara Valley, lovely Bottom one lovely from what No I reckon they'd be. I'd love to see the logo on the bottle. To be honest with.
Speaker 1: You, would you love me to pull you a glass of lovely bottom shady.
Speaker 2: That's right, it's had to be wonderful. Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: As we say, bottoms are.
Speaker 2: Yes, and anything about bubbles will be that much better. I love this name. I've been there, Chinkapook in it's in it's up in the near near Swan Hill. That's it's about sixty seven case from Swan Hill, but it's right next to Malangatang. And I named manangu Tang because my wife, my wife's aren't used to live there in her family. Manangatang, that's that's weak growing area. But Chinckapook, it's just it's the smallest place. Apparently it's on the Robin Villa Robin Vale Railway, but yeah, it just sort of if you blink, you're going to miss miss it as you drive through. But you've got to go through there on your way to Manangatang, which is which is actually i'd love the name Mandanga Tang, but it's it's a very very small town now because a lot of these towns, the populations have moved out, you know, and and it's sad to see really because I think with more technology and a lot of these new high tech tractors and that they have they don't really need the same number of workers as they used to have there.
Speaker 1: Of course. Well that's the different landscape that we have now, isn't it in many ways?
Speaker 2: Yeah. But there's also another one called Dingling Lake, which is once again that's near near the Little Desert National Park up up there, Little Dingling Lake. I'm just wondering everything had been.
Speaker 1: That's right there, you go and you'd go there and or j Johnny Chester. When I was just a little boy, my mama gave me a beautiful toying if you know other words, I want you to play with Mindingling. That's fantastic, Thank you, Jack, that's brilliant.
Speaker 2: But there's also a Nana Goon which is near Gis. Have you heard that?
Speaker 1: No no gooon? Everybody has? Yeah, yeah, famous.
Speaker 2: I mean, I reckon. Somebody in Victoria who was naming towns must have had a start up, because in Victoria, you've got a bet, you've got atter, you've got a purer purer, you've got a vito vita, you've got a cope cope, and you've got an hour hour.
Speaker 1: What was the place they called? It was so nice they named it twice, so you've got to.
Speaker 2: Say what Yeah, well you've got what you got gin in both Queensland and Western Australia. There's a few of.
Speaker 1: Them, and the place so nice. We named it twice. Dean, Good morning, Dean's in Salisbury. We'll take some calls Dean, good morning to you, Tony Mack and grumpy listening.
Speaker 5: Young Toney three degrees and tumbling.
Speaker 1: In Salisbury in Savaustralia.
Speaker 4: Correct, Yeah, it's probably that goes we done the years ago, but it's sort of it only dawned on me, not that long ago. You stoll Glenold.
Speaker 5: Back the other back back back to the front of it reads Gleno.
Speaker 2: Yes it does, Yes, you do. Yeah, there's a lot of people that they've probably never come across, but no, it's.
Speaker 1: One of the it's one of the great trivia questions of a big quiz night, Dean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that'll been good for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure, yeah, well done.
Speaker 1: Apart from that, the you freeze the balls off a bideo table at the moment there in so good on your Dean, thank you, and you got a funny name anywhere around Australia.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good morning Dunny. Grumpy and and and Jackson ku we Rup never been there, passed through there? Where's that towards someone knew Muey On the way to Gippsland. I had a friend that yeah, lived near Muey and we passed kui Rap and I laughed. I think it's taken after an vigial name, so it's kop with okay coo we Rap.
Speaker 1: It had a great name. I'm just trying to look.
Speaker 5: I'm just trying to.
Speaker 1: Remember where that is too, Arthur. But sometimes you hear these things in this context and it's funny. But we've been saying for so many years they're no longer funny. It's a bit like in w A it's no longer funny. It's a joke about in remember when that have the telethons and people would come in from the state never yeah, it could never pronounce names and what would be they get all giggly about in the loop we go, Oh god, yes, it was embarrassing. So cou we Rup is a town satellite suber Victoria, sixty three k southeast of Melbourne Central Business District. It's not that far away, really, near Packenham.
Speaker 2: New Peckham. What about and now this is true. There's in South Australia there's an uner that's near Mount Barker. I always thought what was a mythical place, But there's an un near Mount barkleat.
Speaker 1: Now there's a place in w A don't know that? Would you be familiar with this? A little place is simply called Secret Harbor. And the thing about it is everyone knows about it.
Speaker 2: Well that's right for yes, yes, no, no, everybody everyone. Well it's very popular, so lovely beaches in secret. Half a lot of people like to live there down near Mandura, which is not a funny name, really is it?
Speaker 1: Would you and I say, Amandra? But how many people.
Speaker 2: When we Mandura?
Speaker 1: They say are you down near Mandura? Mandra?
Speaker 2: But that but that's like we have Alberdi and a lot of people from over on the East Coast called it Albany. And we have Derby and a lot of people call it Derby, so we we like to We've also in Sydney Courses a famous beach called cuji Uh and over here we have the same spelling, but they call it cou.
Speaker 1: G cougee exactly the same spelling.
Speaker 2: Exactly the same spelling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, you stayed there. We'll come back here and get some calls the other side there, come and join us one double three six nine three will race through some calls. If you've got anywhere around the country. This great nation of ours, Australia. Steve Grumpy Collins Australia's weirdest town names, suburb names. What do you got you'd add to the list? A secret harbor, beautiful place, lots of beautiful homes there now in secret harbor. It is Australia overnight. Good morning to you for listeners around Australia. In Western Australia, for a long time there was a famous store called Bones. Have I got that right?
Speaker 2: Bowens?
Speaker 1: And so Bones was a very famous A bit like I suppose in a sense in the day or has a bit like a maya would.
Speaker 2: Have been perse version of maya, Yeah, if you.
Speaker 1: Like all those years ago. And so the old gag given the suburb was in a loo, The old seventies joke was according to a great text here that says, what do you call a skeleton in a toilet? Bowenes in a loo? Funny bones, Bones in a mark in Waterbourg, Good morning, boring boys like the show? Thanks Margie.
Speaker 6: A little place called Pigeon Ponds.
Speaker 1: Oh now in Victoria and not far from bellar Ray.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm not too sure. I should have looked it up, but I think it's up around Harrow or bellmaral way in there.
Speaker 1: Somewhere Pigeon Ponds because I know I used to do some advertising, so it's a locality. It's a southwest of Victoria, the Shire and the Southern Grampians near Colraine Edenhope around that area. Pigeon Ponds. And guess what the population is. You'll love this Pigeon Ponds population twenty nine nine in Great Pigeon Ponds have a cricket club with the men's, women's and junior teams playing in the Hamilton District Cricket Association. They have a tennis club which plays the South Alpoli eas Tennis Association. Had a great team. They're Pigeon Ponds. That's where I knew it from from the days. There are three j in Hamilton about nineteen seventy eight. Good only make.
Speaker 2: Rob good morning, Good morning, Tony Rob, good.
Speaker 1: Morning to you. And the Steve Grumpy Collins are the traveler. We talk to him every Friday morning.
Speaker 7: Ha ha, that's fantastic. He's to this place. I live in rail on the border of the Endi Pot. I go to a gateway shopping center which is in Cockburn.
Speaker 1: That pronounced c but speltz the ok.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yes, yes, the k is silent is and.
Speaker 1: That funny and everybody but it's but it's Coburn but pronounced Cockburn.
Speaker 2: Well no, it's the other.
Speaker 1: Way, that's right. Yes, there's nothing worse. Joy in Campbellwell, good morning to you, Joy, Hi, how you really well? Sailor to Steve Grumpy Collins.
Speaker 3: Hello, good Grumpy Colins. Tony. I thought I knew this the other day yesterday. You know, the corner of Summer Hill and two rack Rows.
Speaker 1: Very well, very well, we were right.
Speaker 3: The Mercedes Benz dealership was right on the corner, and the man that ran it was owned It was Greek.
Speaker 1: Smart, that's the one.
Speaker 3: And he had a brother that worked with him. And funny enough, it was one of my girlfriends ex father in laws. He's long gone now, But how about that? I thought that was the case, but I didn't want to say it yesterday till I made sure, you know, till I had my facts right, Oh.
Speaker 1: Joy and you've done a beauty you know. I was thinking about it today or yesterday after after you were on the program, and I was pretty sure that we were right about that. It was the Smart family, and it wasn't a big property for memory, No, it was not like a massive, big Mercedes Benz dealerships these days. But it was a little Mercedes Benz dealership on that corner.
Speaker 3: Right on the corner. And remember the America made ice cream shop.
Speaker 1: That was there, Yes, I do now that you say that. Yes, I can't remember the name of it. But it was very, very popular, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Oh, beautiful ice cream they came over from America? It was. It was there for years.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: Wonderful mirrors daughter the doctor, that's the.
Speaker 1: One handy and everybody knew everybody back in the day.
Speaker 3: Joy, it wasn't it good?
Speaker 1: They did?
Speaker 3: Hey, wasn't it had at times?
Speaker 2: And that it won't tell you what many you knew your neighbors.
Speaker 1: That's right, you did, Grumpy spot on Joy, thank you for that piece of wonderful information. We were talking about it yesterday in the program, Grumster about a little bit, you know, those little Ben's dealerships, A little motorcar dealerships that were by comparison today we're tiny, the big huge ones today. It was a little Ben's Dealers just down the end of Summing Hill Road onto Reek Road and run by the Smart family. It's got to be when I was a kid, so it's got to be late sixties, early seventies.
Speaker 2: Well, I can tell you. You probably don't know, but my son is a deal of principal of Darwin Mazda.
Speaker 1: Yeah you mentioned that. Yeah, of course he's been up there for.
Speaker 2: A while now, should he's been up there fourteen years?
Speaker 4: Said that operation.
Speaker 1: It's magnificent and they would have lots of in that particular area because he's because he's responsible for more than just the one, isn't he just I would not know he was.
Speaker 2: He was at another dealership and they had several brands. But he's now become a dealer principal of Darwin. But the number of BT fifties I set up there is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but of course it's all about those issue verse and one of those big tracks. Now, how do you pronounce n O r w c H no O w c H.
Speaker 2: Well, it depends where you are in England. In Norwich, and I don't know where it is here. So but in England they caught it Norwich.
Speaker 1: We'd say Norwich. I would think I would say yeah, Norwich. If I thought that I would, I'd say yeah, Norwich. In lou or lou Maggie says, in Lou or lou l I e l u there it is l i e u or lou l w o right hardly long reach with a long drop. Thank you, very funny. Thank you for that. A long drop, long reach. Excellent. Where are we off to now?
Speaker 2: Rob?
Speaker 1: Good morning?
Speaker 5: You know mate, I wanted to give you two before, but I couldn't this one. I used to work with a fitter. He was from England. He's from he was from Yorkshire, Yorkshire, Yorkshire, Yeah, and he was a real comedian. He used to take the mick and play practical jokes. So at a party we got his He wanted to catch a fish when he come over here four years. I've never thought a bloody fish and water around the bloody island. I want to get a fish. I can't get one. So we arranged to take some holding and get some holdings. And his middle name was Yorky. Don't ask me why, I don't know, And we took him to this little point off of WA called the Yorkie's Knob.
Speaker 1: Yorkie's Yeah, so is a Yorki's noob in w A because there's a great Yorkie's knob, isn't there in Abney Keynes?
Speaker 2: Yeah as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Yorkie's nob. Yorki's nob is very famous because a lot of the cruise ships come in I think, into you get that part of the world, into Yorkie's Nob and then they put them on the little what do they call those little things that take you off the ship into the shore. That's a tender, So they put you on the tender to take in it. And because they can't get into Cairns per sue those big ships, but they do it out of Yorkie's Knob. Well done you, we'll do this broak come back in just a moment. Steve Grumpy Cobblins. We talk travel each and every Friday morning part of Australia Overnight. Steve Grumpy Collins talks travel, but he's also a passionate Rolling Stones fanatic. Fanatic isn't too harsh.
Speaker 2: No, they're working on a new album yet, no, it's not that. The worst's pretty accurate. Actually, yeah, it's pretty accurate.
Speaker 1: I've got a trivia question for you. I've got a trivia question for you. This is a little trivia and you can make a note of this. Who is it in the year nineteen sixty nine who left the John Male Blues Breakers to join the Rolling Stone? So the year I'll ask the question again for you and for the listener at nineteen sixty nine, who is it that left John Male's Blues Breakers to join the Rolling Stones? In ten seconds, mc taylor absolutely correct, Well done, Mick Taylor.
Speaker 2: Well, do you know why I left to join the Stones? Because they sacked Brian Jones.
Speaker 1: That's right. So Jones left and they said, Mick Taylor, would you like to join?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And for how long did mc taylor last?
Speaker 2: He laughed, about seven years. He'd actually played on about five of their best album and then he left and they replaced him with Ronnie.
Speaker 1: Wood and that worked out pretty well with Ronnie Wood in nineteen seventy. But he's still there seventy five years.
Speaker 2: That's right, he's been there for fifty years.
Speaker 1: Made love your work, coming Gooder Tour, Thank you, Steve Collins traveler YouTube side have a look at it.