S1: Monday edition of the Mark My Words podcast. You know what that means. Ladies and gentlemen, story time. Your questions. Piggy MJ, we are back. How are we boys today?
S2: Levi? Happy Monday a m g.
S1: Happy.
S2: Monday.
S1: Happy Monday, great weekend of footy. It was nice to be out at Canterbury Leagues on Saturday with a continuous call team for the 40 year celebrations, reminiscing and looking back on all of the great moments over the years. But of course, this is our brand new podcast, so let's get into it. Story time. This week we're talking about, um, great pump ups, um, inspirational, um, speech, excuse me from coaches and leaders and teammates and everything else, boys. And he spring to mind over the years.
S2: MG you want to go first or you want me to go first. Have you got one. Yeah, I've got a couple. Okay. Have you. I'm going to tell you a story. Sit down kids get comfortable. No. Um, I'm going to tell you the story about when I played at Wigan under Madge and what we did in grand final week, uh, to pump us up. So I think it was on about the Tuesday or the Wednesday. Um Madge had us all in the team meeting and he said I want you to go away and on a bit of paper and pen, a pen and a piece of paper, I want you to write about your why. Why you do what you do, why you play rugby league, what it means to you, what it would mean to you if you won the competition. So we all went away and we all wrote, wrote down what we, what we, um, you know, our why and why we played it and what it would mean to us if we'd win on Sunday night at Old Trafford. And we got to the captain's run and he took us all into this, uh, old change room at Robin Park. I think it was where we used to train. Um, and there was just all the players and Madge and there was an urn in the centre of the the room.
S1: Who died?
S2: No. No one. So the urn was in the centre of the room, and one by one, everyone stood up and read what it meant to him if they'd win the grand final, what it meant, their why and why they played, and why they were doing what they were doing and why they were needed to win. And da da da da. Blokes were in tears crying. Everything. All that sort of stuff. But every time every person finished what they were saying, they folded their piece of paper up and put it in the urn. And then at the end, um, Madge said, look, boys, no one will. No one will ever know what each of us has said other than the 1718 blokes in this room. I'm getting goosebumps. Um, so um yeah, he said that, he said you'll, you know, like no one will ever know. But it's all between us and it's all up to us. We're the only ones in this room that can have an effect on the outcome, you know? So he put some lighter fluid on it and he lit it and he let it. And we all sat there and watched it burn and closed the lid. And then we went out to the ground and on the ground the day like, you know, you go to the ground two hours before the game and we sprinkled the ashes, ashes of everything that we'd said that day and we said, well, we're going to leave it out here today. This is it. We're going to leave the what we've set out here and it's this 80 minutes.
S1: Oh my God.
S2: So then yeah, then we.
S1: That's so good.
S2: Then we went then we went into the sheds and we came out and played and we won the grand final.
S1: Oh wow.
S3: Well yeah, that's, it's very similar to mine. Um Grand finals kind of invoked that day because, you know, it's the, it's the last game of the year. And basically there is no tomorrow. Rocky. You know it's yeah. You know that that's it. So. Well, after we got beaten in 1990 we were very lucky to, you know, turn it around and win in 1991 or to get there. Um, and we had probably Gus Gould is the, the most motivating coach I've ever had. Like, he'd only probably do it once or twice a year when he'd really rip in and yeah. And go on one of them, them chats that you had you mesmerized. Yeah. Um, but otherwise you'd just go, oh no, not again. Like it's just so he saved one for the grand final day. We met at um, Bondi, a place called the Greyhound Inn. It was like a motel where you park your cars in, and, uh, guy said. So we're leaving for the ground at one move. Everyone in my room at 1230 in Gus's room.
S2: So this is game day.
S3: Game day, game day about 1:00 before we, uh, and that was early 1230 before we'd leave at one. So we're ready with our bags, our kit, and we're in like a semi circle. And he very similar to what magic did with you guys, but this time we had to verbal it, you know, go around the circle. What this what would it mean? Like, what would you feel for this to be the time that you win the comp and everyone was similar. We were, we were we got to the ground. We went into the game. Um, it was 126 at half time, exactly the same score as the year before. And Canberra are leading again. As we were getting ready to knock on the door two minutes before we got on the door to go out and we thought, oh fuck, let's go. Come on. What's. Gus said Royce wants to say something because Royce wasn't. Captain Brandy was because I saw that through the halfway we were getting, you know, all looked at and I saw Royce go over to Gus and and Gus said, yeah. So as we're about to run out, Royce had the the floor and he said, boys, I've been with this club for, you know, 15 years and this is my last game of rugby league, he said. And if I don't win today, he said, I will never be fulfilled in my life about being at this club. He said this club is everything to me. Um, I want everyone in this room to feel the love that I'm going to feel once we beat these bastards out there. So we're all pumped like it's half time. Let's get out there, let's get amongst them. I run out, get beat in ten minutes. And I thought, I've just fucked everything up. Yeah. That's it. Gus came up to me in the, um, in the room. He said, mate, these blokes are bashing the fuck out of Canberra like they weren't you. When you come back out, you've got to help them win. Yeah, because they're doing everything they can to hang on while you're in here? So I run out with about 20 to go, and I just saw that our forwards were gone, and they were kind of getting a little bit of momentum. And I was in this play that I wasn't supposed to be in. And I gave a flick pass. And we, you know, but Royce Simmons, the speech he gave that day is the reason we probably won because we were in similar tiers. And, and I was probably too emotional because I said, yes, come on, let's do it for Royce. And I went out the field and then I caught a touchdown to cheat. I was too emotional, you know, like it was I went, fuck, I need to find that. That was a story of my life. Yeah. On the footy field.
S2: Yeah.
S3: But um when we won the comp. Yeah, we looked back on that we, we spoke about it the next day, um about Royce, what he said and everyone said the same thing. He goes, we weren't losing for Royce you know, we weren't going to lose for him ever. Yeah. Like it was just a um.
S2: What about the way that it happened? Like the game. Royce. You know.
S3: We scored the first try for our first try. Scored in five years. Yeah. And then he played a full game. Never hadn't played a full game that year. He played seven first grade games. And then, you know, I was with was 13, 12. And then, um, I saw the late, great Scotty guy was about to do a grubber kick to try and get the ball back. And I thought, okay, I'm just going to dive on this bastard. And I saw it coming towards me. So I went, oh shit. So I started sprinting towards the ball because I think it was going to bounce. I thought if it bounced over my head, I'm going to go like a wank. All this is going through my head straight on the chest, and I had the try line wide open. I thought, I'm going to score a try in grand Final. Mal was back there. Bastard tackled me about a metre from the line as I was going down. I'm g. I looked a little Barney Rubble with his little legs.
S2: Yes.
S3: Sprinting. Gave it to him in the corner and that feeling. Wow when he scored that try. I say a lot when I speak at functions that I said, I've got five beautiful kids and a wife and grandkids, and I love every one of them to death like more than life. But that feeling I got But when Royce put the ball down, that corner was like nothing I've ever experienced before or have again. That euphoria that you feel when you know you've done something that not many other people have done in your, or are lucky enough to do. Yeah, I screamed that loud of jubilation. I fractured my larynx. Couldn't speak for two weeks. Oh, really? Yeah. Just just like.
S2: Oh, wow. Letting it all out.
S3: We've done it like it's wow. We won the comp. And because I think it made it so special because the year before we we got beat and I was I, I used to always one of them blokes who watched grand finals and see players sitting on the ground crying and go, fuck no, what are you doing, mate? It's a game. Until I was in that situation, I couldn't stop it. Yeah, I couldn't stop crying. I'm going. What the hell? I apologize to everyone else. I'm back because here I am. I'm just sobbing.
S2: Oh.
S3: And then we went away to the kangaroo tour. And you know, you out of all the coaches, Bobby Fulton didn't have to say much because he was, you know, immortal coaching you. Um, Tim Sheens was very analytical and, and would would, you know, get speeches that he'd kind of be like Churchill, you know, like we're from Penrith. No one gives us any chance, like all this shit we buy into the narrative. And, uh, then he was just old school. Let's fucking knock these bastards out. Like, it's it's amazing the difference in coaches, isn't it? Over the years. Yeah. Um, but that's when you talk about Madge. That's why he wins comps. Like, that's why when he was coaching the Blues, he went around to like 30 or 40 old boys matters for coffee. And while we're having a coffee or had breakfast, he had this bag in front of in the middle of us. And I went, I wonder what this is for. Like, and it wasn't until we, uh, we finished our coffees and our breakfast that he goes, okay, m g I'm going to put I've got something on the table here. Um, I'm going to pull something out of this bag. And the first thing I want you to do is give me your first impressions of what it is. So you put the bag down under the table and he pulled out a Blue Origin jersey. I went, wow. And I went, goosebumps firstly. Secondly, fucking passion and pride and mateship. He goes, that's all I want. He goes, that's. I'm just going around asking everyone about it. I want to put some pride back in this thing. And it was he's just such a great motivator. Like I'd run over coals for him like I'd. There's some coaches in my life that I would love to be coached by, like Bennett, Bellamy, McGuire, you know? I just think it would have been fantastic to see the different spectrum of, of analytics they've got or the.
S2: The way they go about it. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
S1: I got, I got to see the, the video that, um, Madge played to the New South Wales origin team in the week leading up to right there.
S3: So that's a good motivator.
S1: So that conference I alluded to in the podcast about um league clubs Australia up on the Gold Coast with Dawn Fraser and Kenneths and all that sort of thing there. Dave trodden gets up and the boss of the Queensland Rugby League get up and do a spell to all the league's club bosses and trot. I got up off the back of winning the origin series and said, look, I'm going to show you something that no one else has seen, mate. I was ready to go and play.
S2: Play football.
S1: Yes it was, and because it was all around Steve Mortimer and mate, it was like, I still get goosebumps just thinking about it and the music and the oh, it was so good.
S3: So while we were up there, we, we, we discussed having, you know, the, the statues at around the Olympic Stadium. I mean, they've got 5 or 6 Queenslanders. Why haven't we got Tommy Raudonikis. Why haven't we got Steve Mortimer. Why haven't we got Laurie Daley. Why haven't we got Brad Fittler. Why haven't we got these legends of origin immortalised in statues around a stadium that when you go into the game, it's just kind of a bit more of a feel. You know, everyone's getting photos with it. Every time we go to magic round.
S2: The.
S3: Photos.
S2: And everything. Yep.
S3: I mean, it's.
S2: Just.
S1: Maybe we should start a campaign on our podcast.
S2: And especially with the New South Wales Rugby League headquarters there as well. That's right. Right there.
S3: Like it's a no brainer. It's a no brainer.
S1: Mhm. That was a good story.
S3: Yeah. I love getting fun. I love.
S2: I love, I.
S3: Love getting pumped up. I was one of them players who would look to the coach and if he was nervous, I would. I would be nervous. But if he was walking around with a smile on his face, I'd go. He knows today.
S2: It's.
S3: On. He knows it's on. Like someone like Peter Mulholland. He. He was. He couldn't hide his emotions when we went to Perth because he kind of went from schoolboys to, you know, um, to first grade and sometimes you look really nervous. And I go skull. And I had a chat to him. I said, you've got to be more of, you've got to be making sure that everyone knows that you're.
S2: You're confident or whatever.
S3: So then the next week, he's walking out like that. I said no too much. Yeah. But then he got this. Then he got the hang of it. Especially the way games coming to Sydney from Perth. Like I'd go, you know, even on the plane.
S1: So it's it's interesting, like just listening to your stories, boys. I think about the season. We got 27 weeks of rugby league before finals at the moment. Right. So from a from a coaching perspective, how do you get that theme over such a long period of time? A lot of week to.
S2: Week or week to week. A lot of coaches, I think will have different themes, different games. Um, they'll lean on milestone games for players like really lean into that sort of stuff.
S1: And you got to get buy in.
S2: Because you've got to find different ways to motivate the players week in and week.
S3: Such a hard job.
S2: Yeah.
S3: Like I suppose to piggy, they'd ask a lot of their assistant coaches these days more they do. You know, it's like when you win a sometimes bad cop good cop is is is perfect what they need. And I, I, I think the lead man has got to show that he can give the assistant as much responsibility as he's got to give everyone that kind of let's go together. Yeah, yeah.
S1: Great stuff.
S2: Nice.
S1: I'm ready to go.
S2: Ready to play. Let's go.
S1: Referee! I was all right.
S3: You're offside.
S1: Get off! MJ, you're.
S4: Off. Oh, no, not again, not again.
S1: Let's get into the questions. Tony's first up with Jerome. Luis form currently under fire at the Tigers and legends like Gordon Taylor's calling for his famous on field energy to return. Is it fair to place the weight of a struggling club's dressing room morale? Speaking of all these stories and themes entirely on a marquee player.
S3: Oh they are. They contribute. I mean, the marquee player is exactly that. The marquee. The number one. You know, if you've got 2 or 3 of them, you're looking at them for motivation. And I don't think. But as far as you know, this is your job now rugby league players. That's your job.
S1: He he he's the he's always been the chief energy.
S3: But he's always he's always up. I you know Jerome is a player who basically not the most skilful or rambunctious rugby league player we've ever seen. But he's always up. Yeah he's always up. And that's one of these. That's one of his trademarks. He gets others around him to play better. And yeah look I think there's some suggestions um yesterday that um you know would you drop Jerome from the Tigers. I went why Yeah. Why would you drop him?
S2: I don't understand.
S3: It's not the first to sign with the club midway.
S2: Through the season.
S3: Yeah, and if he's in, he's. If he's in my top 13, he's playing.
S2: That's right.
S3: He's playing every day.
S2: Every week. They're paying him the money. He's got to play and he's got to perform like the other 16 players have got to do. They've got to take accountability for their actions as well and not just think, oh, it's all Jerome's fault. We'll just lump it all on Jerome.
S3: The better play with him, aren't they?
S2: And he says, yeah, no doubt.
S1: But he's the sort of player two boys. And I always use the the lesson that I learned a long time ago. You never knock champions. He's a champion. Football champions will always come out and make you look like a goose if you want a bag.
S2: I think I think the whole team, and they're all going to take some accountability for how they're performing at the moment.
S1: We spoke last week about Tom Trbojevic and that hamstring injury. Um maybe a bit go a bit deeper on this. Um is it time for the Sea Eagles from George to transition him to the centres to prolong his career. Or is his game breaking ability at fullback worth the constant injury risk?
S2: Ah I would I'd be thinking about seriously thinking about moving him to centre. Um, and I think the other thing with that is, is that it's not like they don't have other options for fullback. The Manly Sea Eagles today they got Lehigh. They got cola. So I think you know when he comes back next that that that that may be the path that they go down.
S3: Because Garrick is going the Roosters.
S2: He's going the Roosters.
S3: There's the center spot. Yeah. Um I I'd go one closer. I'd go five eight.
S2: Yeah. I, I don't even mind that either.
S3: Like then he's like less likely to one like I think he's got good ball skills and I think he'd stand in tackles. Um, obviously got to do more defense which is par for course. But look I just think Turbo's days at fullback are done.
S2: Yeah. Yeah. It'd be very surprising I think, given the fact that they've got other options that if they go back there again.
S1: Uh Jenny's been in touch. The wires genuinely the biggest threat to the Panthers dynasty this October. Can they go all the way and win the premiership? Who else could challenge? And does it matter if they finish outside the top four? Good question.
S3: Yeah great question, I don't know.
S2: Well, I think it does matter if they I think you've got to finish in the top four. History showed you got to be there. And I know teams go on runs, but you've got to be in that top four. I think they can. And the reason I think they can is because if they finish in the top two, they're playing in New Zealand two.
S3: Weeks away.
S2: And if they win that, their prelim finals in New Zealand as well.
S3: I like Melbourne for the last decade.
S2: Yeah. And they can set themselves up beautifully. So that's why they're going to be a threat.
S3: Yeah. Look I think genuinely they are the biggest threat to Penrith at the minute. Um but I think Penrith have always got going to have their measure. I don't think maybe it's because Ivan spent so long there that you know he's he kind of. And he's got Andrew Webster as his assistant coach for so long. He's I don't know. But I think the Roosters are the biggest threat to Penrith. I think the Roosters and maybe the Cowboys are that team that could go on a run. I it's hard to say but it's one of the most. After the Penrith lost last week to the Broncos, it still remains one of the most open comps in the. In a long time.
S2: I like the Dolphins. I like the Dolphins still still like the Dolphins. If they can get themselves in the top four and they're all healthy. I think they can make a run.
S3: I'll tell you what, Sharky. That team.
S2: Shark. Yeah.
S3: Yeah.
S1: Wow.
S2: See.
S3: I think they're about to turn the grid around to say that they're that team.
S2: But that's how everyone thinks about them. They. They do because they've been in the prelim finals for 3 or 4 years in a row.
S3: It's time.
S2: It's time until they make a grand final. I think a lot of people aren't gonna. Yeah. Do you know what I'm saying? I'll be like, oh, it's just the sharks again. They're gonna get there and then they're gonna.
S1: It's the same every year. They go into that little bar area down at Shark Park and they go, oh, this is the room. This is our year. It's the same every year anyway. It's up. That's the challenge.
S2: Yeah, that's a great one.
S1: From Damien Cook. Blow up at the refs.
S2: Did he. Yeah. He had a little crack at him. Did he after the game.
S1: Well Tom says. Tom says following Damien Cook's break the refs claiming teams lower on the ladder don't get 5050 calls. Does he have a valid point? Do the top teams subconsciously get the rub of the green from the whistleblowers?
S2: No doubt.
S3: Yep. We spoke about that last week in our podcast. Of course they do. It's it's just human nature.
S2: Titans as well this year. Dragons as well. Like out and out howlers.
S3: Eels.
S2: Yeah.
S1: All right. Well continuing the referee theme. Bev the last one a player's crossing a line by quoting past bunker rulings at referees during a live game. Big Tino blew up at Adam Gee over a try, directly comparing it to a ruling made against Max Plath in origin.
S3: Yeah, what's the question? Yes, they are, uh, players crossing the line by quoting it. Yeah, of course you are.
S2: Yeah. But that's I actually think that's smart from Tino to know he can remember that and bring it up on the field.
S1: I'm impressed that he remembers.
S2: During the game. I'm like, oh, that's impressive.
S3: The referee went, uh, hold.
S2: On, hold on. Let me think about that for a second.
S1: Especially in a losing, losing origin side. You put that behind you.
S2: Yeah. Um, yeah, that's an interesting one.
S1: Did you pass on my feedback to Clint Gutherson this week?
S2: What's that?
S1: All he does is whinge at the referees. He did it at Parramatta. Oh well I said.
S2: It.
S1: But I said in the call I said look I can speak from experience, right? If a player gets on your nerves you're not going to help them.
S2: No, no, I know just the.
S1: And that's where the 5050 calls and the Dragons whinge about the 5050 calls. Well, there's a hidden reason for that. If you're constantly in the face of the refs and just constantly whinging and carrying on.
S3: Well they talk.
S1: The refs aren't going to help.
S3: You. Refs talk like players do. Well, they're at training. They go, what about me?
S2: No, you tell him.
S1: Well, you tell me.
S2: You tell him.
S3: Now look down the barrel and tell.
S2: Tell him now. You know what? The balls.
S1: You know what I mean. You know what? You.
S2: Come on. Put it on me. Put it down the camera. Now tell Gutho.
S1: Righto, Gutho. Game number 250. ZIP it, bro. You can. You can remonstrate with referees. Be respectful. Don't whinge about every decision because they're not going to help you, mate. 5050 calls. You wonder why goes to the opposition. Calm down. Take a big deep breath. Ready? 250. You might even get to 300 if you stop whinging. So I'm just trying to help you, bro.
S3: Yeah, it's all love.
S1: Why don't you tell him you were down there?
S2: Yeah, yeah. What was that? You're soft, you soft.
S1: But you won't even tell him. And I'm.
S2: Soft. Well, because I don't need to.
S1: I've got the kahunas to mention on a podcast. Any other things doing down there with the dragons?
S2: No. Not much. Huh?
S3: Are they signing?
S1: Yeah. Who are they signing?
S2: I don't.
S3: Know. You said earlier that last week you said a four to a back. You said a hooker.
S2: That's right. Can't remember.
S3: Yeah, I think it's, um. I think it's Nathan Cleary.
S1: Are you hanging around.
S3: Healy from the Warriors?
S1: Are you hanging around to do the, um, audition with that other host of the podcast? Yeah, I am. Yeah. Cool. Yeah. Good.
S2: That's good. I gotta get home. Gotta pick up my son from school.
S1: Oh, why can't he walk?
S2: He's got footy training.
S1: Fair enough. All right, boys, you better go, CMG.
S3: Bye bye. Mark.
S1: Bye bye.
S2: Bye, Levi.
S1: We'll be back. We'll be back on Thursday. More of the Mark My Words podcast. Make sure you leave a question. Subscribe, like follow, do all of that and get in touch. Let us know how you're enjoying the podcast and share the love and a big thank you to better our new sponsor on board. Better download the better app. Watch gambling really costing you for free and confidential support. Go to Gambling Help online.org.au. We will talk to you later in the week.