Speaker 1: On Perth six PR. This is Perth Today with Simon Beaumont.
Speaker 2: Year, Hi, Simon Bamon with you until one o'clock today. Make sure you take part in the program. If you've seen something that your fellow six PR listens need to know about, let us know one double three eight eighty two talk back station, talk back radio program, Love to hear from you. The text line is zero four eight seven triple nine eight eighty two. Coming up on the program. In just a moment, Caroline Spencer will join us the Orders of General. She's run the ruler under delays in the IT programs across the state government, and in particular, I think our listeners will be interested in this the two of the IT portals that are under fire, the Firearms Register and also the smart writer conversion over to being able to use their credit cards. And I think our listeners will be interested in that. The figures aren't great. There have been delays and have been budget blowouts. We'll speak to Caroline Spencer in the studio in just a moment. It is National Police Legacy Day, so Commissioner Cole Blanche will join us to talk policing matters, but also to talk about that very important day. How police legacy looks after the families of those who've lost someone lost a family member, a police officer, male or female in the line of active service. Love to hear from you on all of those One double three eight two is the phone number. I'll have a yes no question for you in just a moment before we do that. You may have heard any of our news. Happened around about an hour ago, Anthony Albanezi was meeting with Donald Trump at the G seven summit. Not anymore, not anymore, thanks Lynchi. So not happening anymore. That is no longer. So Donald Trump, the commander in chief, the US President, is leaving the G seven summits to attend to matters involving the Middle East crisis. So that's a legitimate reason to leave the G seven, isn't it for the commander in chief? So mister Alberanzi and Donald Trump will not be meeting up the G seven and the court albow a little bit by surprise. But it's a pretty legit reason, isn't it. One double three A to eighty two. I have a yes no question for you. Right, let's clear this up once.
Speaker 3: And for all.
Speaker 2: Have vapes won the war on vapes. There's been a war on vapes, but a vapes won it. Has the war been won? And we just didn't even realize. So you may have heard on Brecky this morning, Erindale, the much celebrated federal policy operator, over twenty five years of experience in the public sector, ran some COVID operations. All of that. She is not being renewed as the National Vape Commissioner, So she's not being renewed. So I wanted to ask that question today given the you know, we cover the issue of vapes and electronics cigarettes all the time on the program, and when you think about it, when the number of vapes you see in public, you see people smoking them in cars, you see flights coming back from the pilbra and everyone's vaping when they get off the plane. People are buying them online, they're buying them a convenience stores. We all know where to buy them. So our question today, have vapes won the war on vapes? Yes? Or no? I reckon they have. I reckon. We can't stop it, we can't police it, we can't enforce it. So I went back to the Act today and had a little look online vapes can only be legally supplied in WA through a registered pharmacy. Well, clearly that's not the case, right, Well, people can buy them illegally. This includes substances, accessories, and devices. Non pharmacy retailers such as the back of this. Vape shops and convenience stores cannot sell any type of vaping product. Well, that's just not enforced, regulated or police, is it. We all know where you can go and buy vapes, even though I do and I don't vape. So a question today, yes or no? Have vapes won the war on vapes? In other words, it's been it's the vapes of one, the retailer, the illegal retailers of one. We can't don't seem to be able to stop it. Don't seem to be able to stop them being imported, We don't seem to be able to stop them being sold. I'd love to hear from you today. One double three, A two. We'll keep a poll throughout the course of the program today and through until one o'clock. Have vapes won the war on vapes? Yes, as a one and the nose one. We'll keep a tally going right through until one o'clock today. Now, we do have cole Blanche in a little bit later side. We'll ask him. There's a lot of policing issues around at the moment, including National Legacy Day, and they're going to tell us about what that. We're areas where they are ramping up. But you know, I've never seen anyone, you know, be ping in a vape shop of retailer or someone buying them. You know, we all we pretty much all know someone who vapes and where they buy them, don't we. We've lost the war, and I reckon Ben from Pierre Awards, Yes, the vapes will win. The cats out of the bag, Alien says, good morning, Simon is vapes of the victors will and truly beating the half baked dandy vaping legislation. I wonder how many successful prosecutions there have been in this area. I reckon none. Aileen, thank you Bowie. They are everywhere. Absolutely, vapes are won the battle on vopes. A big yes for me. They are everywhere, so that's our yes. No poll today. Have vapes won the war on vapes? I reckon they have. The illegal selling networks, retailing networks have won the day. I reckon, We'll take a break. Love to hear from me. One double three, ay two. You can call the program, or if you want to text in a response on the vapes you can zero four eight seven, triple nine eighty two. We will take a break. Caroline Spence to the order to general join me in the studio. She has run the ruler under it delays and IT budget blowouts in the state government and some of these around the transport system and Metronet. But I think the ones that our listeners will be interested in is the delays and the budget blowouts on the Firearm Registry portal of of course, that's been in the news for around about a year or so. And the other one is the conversion of Smart Writer. That's an eight year project and we still don't know when it's going to be finished. We'll talk to Caroline in just a second the program, Yes or No? Have vapes won the War on vapes? The yeses are five, the nose are one. Back in a moment. Thanks listening in. I'm Simon Bauman here until one o'clock today. We are running a little pole today. Yes, no pole? Do you think that the vapes have won the war on vapes? Tony from Baldiver site, Tony, Yes, they've won. I don't understand why there's such an importance on vaping cigarettes in our society. Alcohol does more damage to Tony. Thank you, Tony. The generally the yeses habit, So have vapes won the war on vapes? The yeses are twenty three and the nose are a one at this stage? Why are we talking about that? Well erin Dale, who is the celebrated public policy officer who was colloquially called the Vapes Commissioner, has not been renewed. So I'm not quite sure why the FEDS were involved in all of that, but they were so happy to keep taping. Taking your responses through to the program. Caroline Spencer is the Order of General of w A and joins us in the studio now, Caroline, nice to see you, Thank you for coming in.
Speaker 4: Thank you Simon for inviting me.
Speaker 2: Now you've had a look at the I've had run why I'm calling it run the rule. You've had to look at delays in it in big projects across government. I think you looked at eight, we looked at ten. Ten looked at ten. So the ones I think our listeners will be interested in particular are delays and budget blowouts with the firearm Registry and delays and blowouts with smart Rider. Can you tell us what you found, what your people found with those two?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, look, shall let's give a bit of an overview of the eight out of ten projects ran over cost and out of ten ran over time, and the cost for half of the projects we looked at double their cost and some of the time blowouts were as much as six and a half years.
Speaker 2: So see that seventy eight months I saw.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's six and a half years for those of us that can't divide by twelve two easily.
Speaker 2: But I ask you which one that was?
Speaker 4: That was smart Writer? Yeah, so that was smart Writer.
Speaker 2: And that's still not resolved, is it.
Speaker 5: No, Look, it's another couple of years away for delivery, or at least next year at the earliest. And look, that smart Writer upgrade is about tapping on with your credit card or your credit card in your digital wallet or debit card. And that's one of those things that you don't need to buy a ticket. You don't need to actually buy a smart oter card from a kiosk. You can if you're a visitor to w Way or to Perth your land and you can just use your credit card to jump on the airport train and come on into the city like you can in other cities. So it's an important one. That's a you know, these are important projects for customer service, for public service delivery, and you know citizens, whether they're interacting with government through you mentioned the Firearms Registry, you know they're going to experience both efficiencies sort of smoother processing as a result of these all customer experience like the smart Otter one. But there's some of those others that you know are behind the scenes, like the high capacity signaling for trains. So the Public Transport Authority has a two and a half billion dollar project to upgrade and sixteen years to upgrade all the signaling the radio communications for trains, and that's about getting trains to run, replacing technology and it's a big project. So they're important projects for our community.
Speaker 6: Ye.
Speaker 2: Why what reason has been given to you as to why smart writer has gone out to seventy eight months? Why is it seventy eight months behind and counting?
Speaker 4: Look what we.
Speaker 5: Found and it's really interesting that the projects that are most delayed with the biggest cost blow uts had the porest planning the poorest reporting and oversight, so porest governance and porest transparency. So you know, it's a really clear relationship. So projects with external oversight had better governance controls. When I say external oversight, there's a fantastic new project delivery and assurance framework that has been implemented by Central Office of Digital Government and it actually works really well. And so the projects that we're seeing without that, without that oversight are the ones that have done worse because they've been internally funded. They're sort of lost within big entities like Public Transport Authority or even police for the regional communications one for police officers.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you that question a different way. What is the PTA or whoever responsible ends the years? What are they saying? Well, do are they required to respond to your report about smart writer blowing out bose seventy eight months? And it's I think that there's a cost over run too, isn't there obviously? But they have to respond to you And what were they saying?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So when we go into ordered agencies, we ask them, we present the findings to them, and we ask them to when we make recommendations, so around improved governance planning, reporting, oversight and generally around you know, good governance practice and transparency because that encourages accountability and they agree with that. Actually, Public Transport Authority had already before we started this or done an internal audit and review and found out some of those problems and we're starting to fix them before that. But you know this is simon you. Senior decision makers within agencies and ministers do not like projects, whether they be infrastructure projects you know, like Perth Stadium or a children's hospital or any of these things. They don't like them blowing out in costs, all being delayed in time. We all want things to run smoothly. And so if you don't plan properly, you know the old expression if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. It applies for projects worth a few million dollars or a few billion dollars. And obviously there's a scale there of what's fit for purpose in those circumstances around skills and resources and scrutiny and oversight. But transparency to the public because these are public services and affect public services, the quality of public services.
Speaker 2: And is really important. And as the point you often make when we spoke about local government. Last week you spoke about value for money the pub test. This one, this one doesn't pass the pub test seventy eight months for smart rider conversion, does it.
Speaker 5: No, Look, it's taken a very long time and they're telling us that because of you know, technical and resourcing challenges. But we found very clearly that poor governance, poor planning and lack of foundational planning documents and you know, skilled and focused project teams and reporting to senior decision makers within public transport authority was really lacking in this, you know, just poorly planned from.
Speaker 4: The get go.
Speaker 2: One of our listeners, Aaron o'mell sorry, sent us a question, a good question. Why could we have not a bought purchased a smart writer kit off the shelf from another country that use it, or another city in Australia that use it.
Speaker 5: So with these and look this, I don't have all that information to hand around what is off the shelf, but these are providers who have understanding with that specific project. Is that it is a provider who has provided these systems internationally.
Speaker 2: All right, you know I'm not having got you here. I'm trying trying to find the answers we have covered the for want a bit of a term, the firearm buyback scheme. We've covered it, the politics of it. Originally it was a poor Papollia concept. Explained pretty well to one of the shows I was running here Caroline, that we're trying to take surfit guns out of the community. We're worried about the mental health of some people who own guns. They have to go through test. But time and time again we took calls on the registration portal, the electronic part of it, and as you would say, the customer service part of it being complicated, long winded, hard to understand. And I never knew whether that was just the fact that people didn't like the change, they didn't like the fact they're having to give up the guns. But it will appear according to the order the General's Office that the system has been flawed and has overrun both time and budget.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look this and this.
Speaker 5: Is an important issue, Sigment. This system is going to replace manual processes and workarounds, and we've looked at the system in the past, over the previous reports that your listeners can have a look on our website about some of the issues we found with the licensing system. Previously and so the fact they need to replace it is certainly acknowledged by police and that's why there's been resources action. But it's not due to be implemented until December next year, December twenty six, so it's not implemented yet, okay, and so that's why actually timely delivery. The original completion date was the end of last year, so it will be two years overdue and funding. The regional cost was estimated to be twenty five million, and it's going to cost the current estimated total costs. And I have to be clear these are current estimates because it change what we see in projects generally thirty five million, and some of that can be you know, technical specifications or technology is changed and there is a better solution, but that's probably the limited the sort of more limited circumstances.
Speaker 2: Less it's twenty nine percent blowout percentage. Unfunded is the term you use, isn't it?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: All right? And again any again not having to go at you, but is there any explanation given back from the police. We've had the officer in charge of that program and he's doing his best, but there is there an explanation from the it dudes why this is taking so long and it's costing so much.
Speaker 5: That one, it's not one of the standout ones for real clangers around really really poor governance, but obviously these things can be improved. It's you know, the silver one for us was when we looked at actually more closely, which is the regional communications within police and that was an internally funded project, so it didn't get any of that sort of external project assurance or oversight. It was sort of, I guess lost in a very big organization, the WA Police Force. But that's an important one, so that police officers in regional areas have the communications to be able to respond properly with current technology changing there. So look, it's poor planning and then lack of transparency to decision makers, whether that be senior decision makers in an agency, whether it be ministers, whether it be the parliament, whether it be journalists trying to scrutinius and get to the bottom of this, and the community is really important. So we've got dashboards on our website, elect dashboards that give an example of optimal transparency for these types of projects, so that people can clearly say, you know, what's happened to the project where it's at, what's its When was a plan to be delivered? How much was a plan to be costing us as taxpayers? But also you know, more importantly what some of the key deliverables and issues are with that project.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was probably this time last week I spoke to you in Albany. You just hand down a report on this is my word, not yours, larges by local governments in purchasing catering for functions and the like. And one of the items you detail was a fifty nine dollars bottle of wine from memory. If it's possible, how does this compare the one point six billion dollars worth of blowouts four to seventy eight months in delays compare to what local government are doing with catering. This is not good reading, is it.
Speaker 4: I think this is.
Speaker 5: An excellent observation Simon in terms of perspective on these things.
Speaker 4: This is big money, big big money.
Speaker 5: And you know the biggest cost blowout was for that train high capacity signaling project. It went from what was it? It was it's going to cost you and a half billion dollars now and I think it's increased by about one point two or one point three billion dollars. You know that's massive. Was that a problem in scoping and planning at the beginning? Yes, to some degree, technology changing, and yes there has been scoping there. But this is why it's so important to do really detail as robust planning up front as possible, so senior decision makers can make that or I guess complementing that, or an important part of that is ministers making sure that when they announce something, when they announce a new project, whether it be an infrastructure project or an IT project or anything else, that they're relying on robust costings and sometimes being a little bit patient around those before giving a final announcement because otherwise, you know, agencies are scrambling. They might know that they can't deliver it within that and then they have to deliver the bad news later and the parliament and decision makers don't have proper information around what it's going to cost when we can expect to see good outcomes with the intended outcomes from that, and also proper oversight if projects get off track.
Speaker 2: Okay, Caroline spend. So I'm getting a little bit of correspondence coming in, Caroline, and I'll try and paraphrase it and aggregate it. If I can, You're doing good job. You're staffing doing good job. Highlighting all of this. Does it make any difference this report today, Will it change anything?
Speaker 5: Well, if I can send to me to public servants use the project planning, project governance and assurance frameworks that are there from the Office of Digital Government, they are showing good results. What this all it does is in some ways is good news for the initiatives of government in recent years to improve digital capability and delivery. So the projects that use that, you know, are actually performing better. It doesn't make any difference agencies. You know, public entities are responsible for their own governance and we have been distracted in recent years. There's been a disruption in the community, and you know there has Actually this is one of the costs, if you like, in that the unintended costs that when you divert focused from core services and momentum in replacing systems and things, then time is delayed in delivery and costs can then expand blow out over that time. And so you know, there's it takes an awful lot of effort just to maintain basic government services. In terms of skills effort resources, and so anything that diverts from that, whether it be new reform initiatives, new plans, core service deliveries at risk if it's not properly planned and understanding the trade offs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, thank you very much for talking to us. I'll go back to where we started, if that's okay. The smart Rider program has overshot by seventy eight months and has blown out this budget. The signaling part for the high speed signaling on our train network is blown right out as well. And the other one is the firearm Registry, which our listeners bring us all the time about their three that you have been concerned about, and our listeners should be concerned about that's right.
Speaker 5: And seek transparency because transparency insures public entity accountability for it projects, but.
Speaker 4: For all our dollars.
Speaker 2: All right, Carolin, thank you very much for coming in.
Speaker 4: Thanks very much, Simon, nice to see you.
Speaker 2: Caroline spends to the order to general. Happy to get your cause on all of this one double three eight to eighty two. You've got a fan out there, Carolina like this lady cuts to the chase and need more like a thank you, Bernie. We'll come back in just a moment. We'll take some of your correspondents. Cole Blanche not far away either. The Police Commissioner.
Speaker 8: Still dealing with a spill in Nedlin's Stelling Highway closed to eastbounder dal Keith Road. Incident response remain on site. Diversions are also in place. Make sure you plan the head to avoid any delays. Otherwise moving well. Mitchell Quanana Graham Farmer and the tunnel Row Highway a little bit slow at the bypass in Hazelmere. I'm Rob Beaver rom Peruz traffic leader six PR.
Speaker 2: Janine says, Wow, Caroline Spencer is so impressive she should be cloned. She's amazing to see. Jeanine. Thank you. Alan says, why don't you til Rita SAFIOLDI had listened to this woman about over spending. Thank you Allen. Have vapes won the war on vapes? We're taking a poll today. One of our listeners is vapes have won? And I'm a pharmacist, so have vapes won the War on vapes? Is thirty seven yeses and just a couple of nose at this stage. Every fortnight the Police Commissioner krle Blanche comes into the studio and he joins me now with a couple of guests. Commissioner, good to see you, Thank you sim much. Good morning, yeah, good morning to you. We've got a few policing issues to cover off, which we will do in the next little while. But importantly it's National Police Legacy Day. Please introduce us to our guests.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, and it is National Police Legacy Day. It's a very important day for all police officers, certainly as the patron, so all commissioners are patrons. But I have Aiden Blanchard, a new police officer whose father, Scott was in the job and died whilst he was serving. And you know it's important to have Aid in here today because he's a brand new police officer. But I think what it does say is that when you go as a legate and as a beneficiary, you get to come out the other side and join the police force. And I think this is a real recognition of the strength of what Police Legacy can do because it shows that Aiden has been through the most terrible grief in his life but he still wanted to join the police force. And we have Kelly as the CEO of Police Legacy here in wa. She does an amazing job and she just got back from Camber where all the heads of Legacy met, so they can work nationally but also look after the West Australian and so it's a privilege to have them in this stay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hi Aid and Hi Kelly Simon. Nice to meet you. Thank you for coming in today. How old are you, Aiden? I'm twenty two, twenty two and is explaining what Cole said in your words? What does it mean? What did Police Legacy Day and Police Legacy mean to you and your family?
Speaker 10: Well, it was just absolutely outstanding of the support that they were able to provide straight away after my father passed away. They were there within the first you know, twenty four hours, forty eight hours, offering financial support and counseling and just offering, you know, someone to talk to and just to help out with us.
Speaker 2: How old was your dad when he passed, Aiden, I think it was forty five, Okay, so he's young, all right, So that's you were young then you were you were yeah, and the family were you know, we're obviously heavily affected.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I was only twelve at the time, and obviously you think you're just alone. No one's experiencing the same grief or something like I am but obviously with the police legacy camp that I went on, I got to meet the other kids there that were going through the same situation, and it just put it into perspective for me that there's other kids out there like me, and that I am able.
Speaker 2: To push through. Where was a legacy camp I was down in Harvey, down Harvey, Okay, Kelly, thank you for coming in. He's made unusual in that he's a legacy kid or a legacy who's chosen to choose his career path. Is he unusual or is it common?
Speaker 11: I don't think it's common, But I think it's great that he can overcome this thing that happened in his life that was tragic and he's wanted to come in and serve the community and serve WA and I think it's fantastic.
Speaker 2: We're reminded on occasion that it's a dangerous job, aren't we. And this is a testament to it today, isn't it.
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: We had an officer in Tasmania, a veteran officer lost his life only yesterday and again the long driveways and that's not getting any easier out there, is Do you ever have any doubts? Do you ever consider any other careers.
Speaker 10: Aiden, Yeah, previously I had a few other jobs in trade industry and stuff like that, but I always had police in mind in the back of my mind for a number of years, and I just had such so many people say, this is a great job, you'll love it, and it was really bubbling away into our Where did my dad's coroners report? And that flicked the switch and it just made me go, Yep, I'm going to do.
Speaker 2: This, Kelly. The support you're able to provide to the Blanchard family, we Coll and Aiden have reflected on that. What other services can you provide for all families of different aren't they different circumstances.
Speaker 11: Yeah, there's going to be you know, some families have children, some it might be the husband or wife that's left behind. So we can offer financial support, we can offer you know, just just walking alongside them, just having someone to talk to. We can put them in touch with other organizations or other welfare support and just know that we're there for them. So yeah, that's mainly what we're there for.
Speaker 2: And I think you have personal experience and family experience in this regard, Dons. I mean, I lived in Newman up until two thousand. It's two thousand and one when the plane went down coming back from an indigenous community and that was a family issue for you too, wasn't it.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that was my cousin Gavin Capes and Gavin Capes who passed away in that plane crash. That really affected the whole family. So knowing that there's my cousin that we didn't get to grow up with. Yeah, Unfortunately I was away over east. I was in the Army at the time, couldn't be back to be with the family. But knowing that police legacy was there and that they got that support was amazing for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really affected that community. As I said, I knew David Jua really well and I worked with his wife Lynn, And the death of a copper has a profound impact on community, goal doesn't it.
Speaker 9: There's no doubt about it. And obviously, as you mentioned, only yesterday Tasmania and a police officer murdered whilst serving their community. I think that was the first time in Tasmania since nineteen twenty two. So the grief that has suffered across an entire organization is immense. It's is why police legacy is so important. Just so your listeners understand. Almost all police can contribute part of their own salary to police Legacy to provide this for the kids and the widows or those left behind, the families left behind, and that's why it's so important. It's actually the police themselves giving to those families and that's why all of us take this very seriously. But when we lose an officer, the grief that resonates throughout Australia. And I've spoken to the Police commissioner in Tasmania. It's just something that we know that we go and do every day as police officers, and we all want to come home to our families and sadly some don't. And Aiden is someone who it's such a privilege to have him this police force because he has seen the light to join and serve our community as well.
Speaker 2: Well said, well is it impressive, isn't he? The commissioner, Yeah, we will. I have to ask you this, Kelly, having lived in Newman, I know that the Bloody Slowe Cup has been in him for nineteen years. Is there a new personally affected? Is there a reason why it's been moved to the city this year that you're aware of?
Speaker 11: Well, the event's gone for twenty years. It's a very costly exercise. You know, those families are getting on in age and they've been going along to the event every year, and so we've passed that on to the Newman community to run their own event up there, and you know, we'll give them all the support that they need, you know, potentially go up there and go to the event. But it's just it was just time to kind of pass that on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, have you been to a few of those calls?
Speaker 9: I have, and look as certainly as commissioner, it's my role to go. Then we'll continue to commemorate the four officers that have passed away. And one of the other reason is the parents of those four officers are either passed away or getting very elderly. Some don't live in the state. And there was a conversation with those parents who probably suffered a reliving of the trauma and grief every time they come back every year. So it's been twenty years, I think many of them said, you know, it's time, it's time for us to not go through this each and every time. So we wanted to hand over the events to the City of Newman and We're always happy to support that through our presence and we will commemorate. We'll always commemorate our lost officers. So it's really a transfer of the events rather than the actual situation of those four offices.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think when I worked at the Shire of East Pillar and Trevor Ruhlan was at Roeburn and he's passed away. He's a riper bloke. He was good luck, good like Aid and hope it goes well. So where are you at in training terms?
Speaker 14: Now?
Speaker 2: When did you have you been through through the academy?
Speaker 10: Yeah, so I finished the academy in March and I'm just stationed in Midland at the Booze Bus So it's pretty interesting watching people on the roads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, busy. And I would I mention Kelly, thank you for coming and keep up the good work. So this is a we're talking about this today to raise awareness and again to a raise awareness about what a dangerous job this is and how important it is in our community that we have guys like Aiden entering the police force after what he's been through. Yeah, that's what while are we here today, Aid and good luck Kelly, good luck to you, Thank you very much. Yeah, thank you and well call if you wouldn't mind staying. We'll have a bit of chat about some policing issues that are around at the moment. It is eighteen and a half minutes to ten o'clock more of cole Blanche after these. There's one really important thing I forgot to do in all of that. I heard a cole Blanche say that police donate to legacy. Kelly, we can as well. Human beings and citizens can do it too, can't they.
Speaker 11: Absolutely If you go to our website, so just google WA Police Legacy, you can see all the ways that you can support us. So we're all up for donations. There's merchandise on there, you can come to our events. We'll put everything on the website. But we would love to have everyone's support to get some more funding to help these families.
Speaker 2: Just today, it is part of the day or.
Speaker 11: Ongoing, absolutely ongoing. So today is just to raise awareness of the great work that all the police legacies in around Australia do. But anytime you're very welcome to help us out with some funding.
Speaker 2: Please please Legacy website. Have you got a Cold Blanche bubblehead?
Speaker 9: It's so hotcakes, really good man, looks I haven't solved very well, Simon, but certainly I'll tell you what does so well as the canine small fluffy dogs. So they go like hotcakes, don't they.
Speaker 2: H Thanks Kelly, and I apologize for missing that as a very important part of why you here, Aid And good luck, Kelly, good luck, thank you, thank you, thanks for coming in. Cole Blanche is with us today, the Police Commissioner here in Western Australia. For you police issues we can discuss with Commissioner Blanche today. I did read in the paper today, Cole, you've made an arrest and a charge around a Nazi gesture and I get us since there's a ramping up of resources in this area.
Speaker 9: We have, and certainly I think our community would expect anyone that is allegedly spewing hate out in our community, particularly around Nazi symbols and Nazi behavior. No one in WA or Australia has got time for that. It is against the law, so we will be taking action. I think it's unacceptable. It caused a significant division within our community and if you're going to behave like that, you're going to get a knock on the door from the police. It's as simple as that.
Speaker 2: Is it without encouraging it. Is it an area of priority for your crew.
Speaker 9: Look, it's certainly something that our State Security Investigation Group look at. Thankfully, it's only a very small number in Western Australia. Most of our community wonderful people, we are united as Western Australians, but there are a small number. And here's an example of a tweeny year old man that thought it's okay to be allegedly giving whole Hitler salutes online to others in our community. Just an absolute disgrace.
Speaker 2: On an on camera. And that stuff stays published and easy enough for your crew to get hold of it. There's made a car chase this morning, a police chase this morning. I understand Colin so a twenty two year old man has been charged and unfortunately a number of people have found themselves in hospital.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 9: No, Look, we had a police intercepted a vehicle last night at Toyota, Kluger and z In Belcado. Now the car actually did pull over and as we were making some inquiries, it appears that that person may not have had a license to drive and other issues related to police police information. He then took off and he left the scene and tried to evade police for some time and sadly crashed into an innocent person's vehicle. Thankfully that person not seriously injured, but both cars very badly damaged. And that person has now been arrested and will be charged or has been charged with very serious offenses. What time of nightcop, This happened about twelve twenty am, So I was the first thing.
Speaker 2: In the morning. Yeah, all right, yeah, no, good happens. A lot happens way too much, doesn't it.
Speaker 15: That?
Speaker 2: Will you hear about the check all the time? I wanted to ask you this. This is stuck in my mind forever. I was part of the crew that put the stadium together what we now call up the stadium, and I do remember at the time a senior copper said to me, there's a crop shop, there's a police station at the stadium. It's got a couple of cells. Has it been operational? Has it been used?
Speaker 9: Certainly is operational. We use it for major events. Not surprisingly, there has been what we call the Crowded Places initiative for years in the terrorism environment, knowing that we've seen large stadiums around the world sadly been where the location of terrorist attacks and other serious incidents. We always have a large police presence for large events here in Wa to make sure our community is safe. Since twenty eighteen, we've had just over one hundred people put through the cells. Now, what that tells me is that that's not a lot of people since twenty eighteen, so we're talking about seven years. That means West Australians are overwhelmingly well behaved, even at the footy signment, which is a good thing. Other than those hundred people, most people can be dealt with just by a conversation and say, you know, pull your head in or we're going to reject you out of the stadium. There's a lot of security there. But we do have this police station and sells if we do have a serious incident or someone cannot just behave themselves. And I think it's important to have that because it is for the safety and security of our community.
Speaker 2: Is it used as a community police station or just on game day?
Speaker 9: Call just on game day, so we don't regularly start it. It's just for major events, but it is for our briefings. It's obviously for custody areas and for police to have a bit of respite through the day as they work the longhoils.
Speaker 2: So I would imagine, in the absence of knowing, if you are at the footy and the croppers come and talk to you, and you find yourself in a cell in the basement of optors, the next place you're going is probably out the door, isn't it. You don't get to go back into the ground.
Speaker 9: Correct, And look, I would say before the cell, you're probably going to get kicked out first, but if you kick off, then you're going into the cell and then we'll process you through. I think our policing in WA is about, look, let's stop the stupid behavior, cut it out and maybe leave. If you want to kick on or then we've got that ability to arrest you and go further. But my preference is at sporting events. Why ruin your day and the day of others. You're there with your family, that you're there with your friends, enjoy yourself, don't end up in a police cell. You've gone pretty far if you.
Speaker 2: End up there, Yeah, no doubt about it. With regards I hope you can't answer this, or you can choose not to because you're call Blanche. But down at Geelong. They have facial recognition on pundas when they come into the ground. Has that come across your desk in a note yet? Is that being considered for OPTUS?
Speaker 9: Look, certainly, I am not aware of it being at OPTUS. I do know that casinos and other places do use it quite regularly for refusal of patrons that have been ejected. So their database is those of those people who have already been denied entry. And that's the way private enterprises generally use them. If you've already been denied, they take a picture and they look for you if you're coming back. I suspect that will be used more and more by private indust It is something for people to be mindful of. But I think the very clear thing is they're not taking it from a database from your driver's license or your passport or any of those larger imaged databases. It's really if you've been captured before and a photo taken of you.
Speaker 2: All right, you have a lot on your plate. And we've just spoken about the firearm registry, and we've talked about that on the program before. That could be tightened up from an IT perspective. Scooters have come your way as well. I've heard one of your senior coppers talk about the operation a couple of weekends ago. I've heard about that, but this is now on your patch, and I wanted to ask you about vapes and the enforcement of the illegal sale of vapes because I know some convenience store where they're sold. Most people do yes, no question today? Have vapes won the war on vapes? And the yeses are forty three? And the nose or one who's responsibility to allocate resources to that call? You're hanging out convenience stores or going undercover.
Speaker 9: Look, the enforcement of apes is the Department of Health across the nation. Certainly, police will only be involved if there is violence associated or organized crime, or there's arson sometimes we've seen with tobacco and vapes, so there's been some standover tactics. I think it's a question for Department of Health about the enforcement, so I wouldn't want to answer on their behalf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So it doesn't to be really clear there. Most of us know where they are. But it's not for coppers to go under cover and or detectives to go on the cover and try and buy a vape.
Speaker 9: No, that's not our role at this time because it's a regulation of a prohibited import and product.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, A couple of questions. This one is my seem unusually comes from someone on your team. Who's your origin team? Who are you going for tomorrow night?
Speaker 9: Look, that's a really good question.
Speaker 2: Firstly, is that only two answers? Only two possible answers? Yeah, Commissioner, Yes, I know.
Speaker 9: But I generally don't talk Origin because it is highly divisive and I've got people in my own organization that are just bleeding color and you can't have a conversation with them. So I'm going to remain mute on Origin games because it's quite divisive. It's probably one of the most divisive games that come up all year. You'd be surprised to how many blues we have in the Office of Orangin.
Speaker 2: It's very strategy, that's very diplomatic from you, very political as well. It is just a couple of minutes to ten o'clock now yesterday.
Speaker 16: Kyle.
Speaker 2: I know you know, post police commission to day as you're very keen on being a Bunnings greeter. It fits your personality, CHARISMI your temperament. I think you're still keen on that I like to use a QR code to buy sausage on Sunday from the Bunnings. Is that UnAustralian.
Speaker 9: Well you for got the twenty percent discount card. That was the other reason why I agree that is very un Australia. You know you need to I would say, let's go back to cash for the sausage. That's where we need to be. I know they've got an f POS machine.
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing that you can still pay your cash, but the tap and go has gone to qrco.
Speaker 9: I am a little concerned about the lack of consistency in bunning sausages because in Wa it's a hot dog bun. In other places it's a piece of bread. We need to all that dispute first.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, they're talking about divisive Cole, thanks for coming in today. I really appreciate it. And again it is a National Police Legacy Day from you from the top. Why should people make a donation or buy buy sub merch from police legacy.
Speaker 9: Look, I think having aid in here today is that example. We want good police in our police force. We want to and those that lose their life on the job, we want to look after their family. And I think as West Australians we care about people. We are a united community. We support and trust our police. It's about looking after family first and foremost, and I think that all resonates with all of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Queensland on New South Wales, Victoria done. Thank you for coming in today, and again thanks to the guy who from Legacy it is an amazing cause. And to Aiden Blanchard who's now finds himself as a copper at twenty two years of age, following on the footsteps of his father is a noble, noble thing. So Aidan and Kelly and col thanks for coming in today. Thank you, Thank you. Cole Blanche the police commissioner. Five to ten, take a break. Did you know that the Opta Stadium had a fully operational police station a couple of cells. I have been aware of that and I've always meant to ask police commissioners about it, about how it's tracking. One hundred people have been through the cells at Opteras Stadium since twenty eighteen. Cole doesn't reckon that's very many. It sounds like a lot to me. Thanks for listening in today. Have vapes won the war on vapes? The yeses are forty threes and the nose one bev, Hi BEV. Good morning, Simon. Yes, vapes have won the battle. Enjoying show, Dave. A lot of people really impressed with Caroline Spencer today. Order the general is great, so it's now time for the bureaucrats to be accountable. Since Dave spot on, Dave, it's not a hot dog savory roll call. It is a hot dog savory role call. It's not a bun. Hello, Trushy if you're listening. And Troy says, watched a young seventeen year old Charlie Cameron tear it up at the Bloody Slow Cup in Knwman. He wasn't bloody slow. He's a gun. Still a gun, isn't he? Troy and the goal Charlie. Thanks for listening in. We'll come back after the news. Plenty still to come here on Perth Today.
Speaker 1: On Perth six PR. This is Perth Today with Simon Beaumont.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening in. Today we're running a yes no poll today. Have vapes won the War on vapes? The yes of forty seven, the nose of one and interesting to hear Cole Blanche the Police Commissioner a flat out say it's not for us to police it. We're not going to send undercover cops into convenience stores. We're not going to send them onto mind sites, pink people getting off planes. Vapes are everywhere, freely available. We all know where to get them. It's illegal to sell vapes, but no one's getting Pingdalih. There might have been a bit of a correction in that a lot of retailers stop doing it, but it doesn't look like anyone's enforcing it. And Commission of Blanche was really clear says it's a health department issue, so they need to enforce it. I don't know how they do that. I don't know what the officer. There are there health officers who wear uniforms and go around and police this stuff. Can they go under cover? I don't know that there's been any prosecutions, Has there any zero? I think it's very clear on the health WA health website you can't sell it. There are places where you can't vape in public, you can't vape in certain premises if the owner doesn't want you to. But everyone's doing it. I reckon is getting worse. One double three eighty two is the phone number and lots of pubs do have beer gardens where you can smoke. That's okay, that's fine. We would rather people didn't smoke, but people do and they hang out in the beer garden, have a drry, have a drink, and people vape in them as well. So have vapes won the war on vapes? Of yeses are forty seven and the nose one. I'd love to hear from you one double three eight eighty two. We had put in a request. We knew we're going to talk to Caroline Spencer today about the blowout on Smart Rider and the blowout on the high speed traffic signals for the train line. So Caroline Spencer let us know that the smart Rider conversion so we can tap and go at train stations, ferries and non buses is seventy eight months behind schedule and has blown out the budget by about fifteen percent. So we have it. We knew that was coming. We've seen the report and we have us to speak to the Transport Minister. Reader Safiordi not available today but has sent in a statement. I'll look at some of that. As you know, it's normally not something we do do, but some of it's instructive in responding to the OAG report and the like. It's ten past ten. Call in one double three eight eighty two. Hello Debrah, Yeah, good morning.
Speaker 17: How are you Bowie?
Speaker 2: Good? Thank you?
Speaker 17: What's happened on, miss Cole Blanchet. I've got an issue with a traffic infringement three hundred don fine three demerit points because my tire was partner on the white line at a red at a red light. Yeah, okay, I didn't go through the light. I've obviously rolled forward because I can see in the side there's a car behind me, is right really close behind me. Teak traffic from Leach Chila. I always leave a good half a car distant tree myself because of car accidents and whatever, and the offense of stopped before circular red signal stop line, and I just think that's absolutely ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that doesn't sound right. Yeah, I know there's I know there's a fine infringements. I've got one too, deb where if you save you you want to turn right and you pull into the pull in the right hand lane, and then you change your mind and go back into the main fly travel. I've got one of those that are on the traffic camera that's changing lanes illegally, but your one doesn't sound so you weren't over the weren't over the line, but you were over the sideline.
Speaker 17: Into my ties, probably just the white line. I wasn't over it as in the whole ton of car, but it looks like the tire is maybe just I've only got a tiny car.
Speaker 2: Yeah yet, so can you appeal it now with the photo?
Speaker 17: Well, on the paperwork, I go to court. But on the option of stock, which you don't want to do, cost a review? Nice, request a review or elect to have the matter determined by court.
Speaker 2: Well, I've never done that, but I reckon request the review and see what happens and let us know how you go. Because if you if you're not over the line, you're not over the line. That should be clear in the photograph.
Speaker 17: So well you can see in the photograph. But it must have just triggered something. But because the tire might have been touching.
Speaker 2: This morning, Yeah, all right, request the review. Yeah, I request the review. Deb go through the process. Let us know how you go. And any other listeners have got advice for Deborah? Have you ever requested of you based on photo evidence? Give us a shout one Double three eighty two is the phone number. Thanks for your thoughts today, Jim says, Yes, the vapes have won, but the government doesn't want to win or ban them. The government wanted to tax them. Yeah, we spoke about that this warning gym before the show. Is it a matter of just selling them and taxing them? When they came about as a way of getting people off the darries, didn't they because they have Lesnick nicotine content. But they are, according to my mates, highly addictive and easy on the throat and tasty. And you can get them you know where to get them. People get them online, don't get sent to hunt their homes or to you know. Yeah, go out and go out and watch a fly and fly out crew coming back from the pill where any day of the week and we'll see how many people are using vapes and I reckon they haven't bought them from pharmacies. Twelve and a half minutes past ten, we have got a lengthy response from Minister Rita Safioti about the Order's gen report into Project Blowouts. Yeah and coming if you want. N Ann Barclay's going to do the honors and self edit as she goes and try and make it understandable for normal humhuman beings. Thank you, am Hi Bowie.
Speaker 18: Oh look, I'll do my best.
Speaker 19: So.
Speaker 18: In response to the Order the General's Report, Minister Safioti says the WA Government has strengthened its approach to IT project delivery by implementing improved governance, guidance and oversight mechanisms. The Office of Digital Government has issued a suite of guidance materials and frameworks to support agencies in planning, delivering and managing IT projects effectively. A new IT Modernization Framework will be made available to agencies this week. This framework will directly address issues identified in the Audit Guide, IT modernization efforts and improve cost transparency. The Government and Treasury have worked together on several reforms, including a staged funding model for IT projects that enables better planning and cost certainty prior to full funding decisions. So something's being brought out this week, a new IT modernization framework. Not really sure what that means.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure what a lot of what you just said means, Anna, And I'm not having to go at you because you're my colleague, but yeah, there's a bit of bureaucratic speaking there, but thanks to the Minister's Office. What did the Minister Offics say about Smart Writer?
Speaker 18: So on Smart Writer Upgrade specifically, the cost of the Smart Writer Upgrade project remains at sixty point three million. There are a number of potential add on options associated with the program, however, there's been no formal decision on whether these are actually required. The advice from the PTA Public Transport Authority as of today is that new payment options will be available by the end of the year. As we understand, the Auditor General's reference to the timeline may have related to an old business case undertaken in twenty fifteen. The government first made an investment decision into twenty seventeen, and at the time it marked a completion date of twenty twenty one. Works were paused during can you guess during COVID during the COVID pandemic, while global IT hardware supply issues associated with the war in Ukraine have also impacted the delivery of the project.
Speaker 4: So seems like.
Speaker 18: A pretty strong promise here that by the end of the year we're going to see some new payment options available.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 18: Right, I'd love to be able to use tap and go on the bus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so would I. Yeah, yeah, so would I. I mean, you can use it at the little terminal thing. But been a long time coming, seventy eight months, and COVID's been a factor, and apparently the war in Ukraine's been a factor. Yes, as one of a couple of elistas said, could we not just buy one from somewhere else? We'll get one a shell from somewhere else.
Speaker 18: I don't sometimes I don't know. I mean, I'm not responsible for rolling out these big new projects, but sometimes I think it can't be this hard. Surely there's an easier way, also, a smart riders recyclable the cards, because if everyone in nearly everyone in WA's got a card, what are we going to do with them all? You know when we upgrade, So we have some sort of party and throw them all on a bonfire third draw down.
Speaker 2: Keep them in the third draw down, Yes, with their elastic bands.
Speaker 18: And the glue right the bits and Bob's draw.
Speaker 2: Thank you an beautiful Anne Barclay from our production desk that you can ring Anne or Sean to get through to me today one double three eight eaty two. It is sixteen minutes past ten. Have vapes won the war? On vapes forty nine yeses and four no's, and they are all from Facebook. I'd love to hear from you. Will speak to an expert on that in just a moment. And another story we've got coming up. More and more women are doing heavy lifting in the gym, doing weightlifting, and there's been a little spike in as a result, not purely because of that little spike in steroid juice as well. We'll come back to that in just a moment. I see, you know, I belong to that big chain of gyms, the one with a big red and white sime nine dollars sixty nine a week. Lots of women workout, workout, and they're strong and they lift heavyweights. It's definitely a thing, no doubt about it. One double three eight Atty two. If you want to get in touch with the call of the day today, can win a double pass to go and see the Terracotta Warrior display at buller bard It at our Wa Museum from June the twenty eighth right through the February. One of the world's great cultural treasures will be on display at Bulevard It from June right through the February of next year, and you can win a double pass to go and see the Terra Cotta Warriors from China here on the show. Give us a call one double three eight eighty two. Thanks. Listening in Jerry's phone in about the traffic infringement, can they Jerry?
Speaker 3: You got Simon? Yeah, it's actually it's actually just silly infringements. I got stuck going through a traffic light intersection. We're going too slow. They were on armber and I went through and then the top car pulled up behind me. Did know at to stop? Your foreign? I said, no, So you're going to slow through the intersection.
Speaker 20: I said what it was?
Speaker 3: Orange one? He said yeah, I would you had the opportunity to stop? I said, well, well I've got a van here full of equipment and machines and every now so I said, well it'd be dangerous jam, wouldn't it. So now there's a fine hundred and twenty.
Speaker 2: Well how long ago was there?
Speaker 3: Oh that was about five years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, let's see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, apparently if you have the if you have the opportunity to stop, you have to stop.
Speaker 21: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've heard that. Yeah, I've been pined for that, and it's a it's a judgment call of a copper right, you should have you should have hit the brakes and go who. I didn't thought i'd get through.
Speaker 3: The fact that the fact that he asked me what I stopped you for. You know, I knew that it was a bit of a gray area. You know, I think he just had a grumpy day.
Speaker 2: It is an interpretation that I make no doubt about it. Thanks Jerry. Always good to hear from me. Thank you, mate, Ben s there's lots of women work out, but I still can't work out women. Thanks Ben. And it's a talent. The breath of fresh air put her on more often so Smithy good presenting Anne. Thank you Smithy. She's a talent. Former newsreader. I'm a reporter here at six PR and now producer here on Perth Today. She's very good. But she's leaving us because she's having a baby. And so last day on Friday, we're going to miss it. One double three a Daddy two. This one here from one of our listens. Shouldn't Australia Post be charged for delivering vapes? I don't know if they do. Someone yeah, look, someone might like to self confess there. How do he get hold of vapes? From overseas. It because it does happen. It happens online, right the Star Trek is it? You know there's some dodgy system where you ring up and some bloke comes around in a white van and drops it off. How does the delivery part of it work?
Speaker 22: One?
Speaker 2: Double three adady two is the phone number. Are vapes winning the war on vapes? We've been asking the question this morning. Yes, the fifty one and the nose of four. We've asked the police commissioner today about enforcement in retail outlet it's convenience stores and he said that's nope, that's not us, that's not my boys and girls, that's the health department. Vapes winning the var on vapes. Becky Freeman is Professor of public health at the University of Sidney joins US now Professor Becky, How are you?
Speaker 23: I'm good, Thank you, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Are vipes winning the War on vipespehi or yes or not?
Speaker 24: Yeah?
Speaker 23: Look, let's look at teenagers. They're the population we're most worried about. We don't want young people taking up vaping. And I run as a recalled generation vape and we asked fourteen to seventeen year olds all across the country if they've tried vaping, and I'm happy to report that we appear to have hit peak vaping in this group. So we know eighty five percent of them have never tried a vape, and that's the highest number of never vapors that we found since we've been conducting the study since twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, well that's good, good news.
Speaker 23: I mean, it's not the whole story obviously, when I'm sure your listeners can just go out and look in their own neighborhoods and they can find to back in this in particular, are still selling illegal vapes and you don't need to be some secret operative or ordering them from a dodgy retailer. You can just buy them outright in public. So we do need better enforcement.
Speaker 2: No doubt. So yeah, that was my next questions. That's good if eighty five percent of that Cohl is saying no, we've never tried it. But the people who have got a bit of dough because they're not cheap, have got a bit of dough maybe work fly and fly out. I reckon they're viping a lot.
Speaker 23: Look, I think when you look at the sort of the next group up. We also survey eighteen to twenty four year olds. We know that eighteen percent of them so are vaping on a regular basis and they tell us where they're accessing their vape and it's from retail outlets, so they're just rocking up to a shop and purchasing these. And remember this is despite the fact that if you want to access a vape legally in Australia, you need to go to a pharmacy to get it, and you need to be over eighteen. And obviously that's not what's happening to as much as we want it to be happening, we want that you know, people who use these products are you know, adults who have tried everything they can to quit smoking and under the guidance of either a health professional like a pharmacist or a doctor, are using vapes to fully quit SPO And that's not what's happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it's as I say, and it seems to be getting away from us a bit bigging. Hence the response from our listeners today. What are you are? You work in the area of public health and public health policy. Erin Dale who and our use a cloquial team that she's the National Vapes Commissioner, she has another title. She has a long history working with COVID in the public and private sectors. She's not being renewed, she's not getting the job full time. Do you make anything of that? Are you aware of that?
Speaker 25: Oh?
Speaker 23: Look, I wouldn't want to comment on any individual and their job when I don't have inside knowledge of that. But I will say that I am pleased that both you know, the federal and state governments are prioritizing enforcement, but we do need better coordination. We don't need finger pointing. We don't need the state saying oh, this is a federal issue, in the federal government saying no, this is a state issue, and the police saying no, this is a health department issue. We actually need cooperation across the board if we really want to make something happen in this area.
Speaker 2: So, Becky, either anecdotal or through data, through empirically, how are the vipes, how are the vipes getting in from iboss?
Speaker 23: Yeah, so we don't manufacture vapes in Australia at all. They are all imported from overseas. And when we revised our vaping laws in twenty twenty four, the first phase of that was to ban the importation.
Speaker 24: Of disposable vapes.
Speaker 23: Those are the vapes that you know, you use them up until they're gone, and then you check them out and you buy a new one. And those are the ones we know that young people were most attracted to. They had flavors added to them. They're easy to take it off the shelf and you can just use it. You don't have to fiddle around with liquids and all these kinds of things, right, and we saw importation of those products as soon as the importation was banned was brought in really decrease. But obviously some are still getting through the border, that they are still being imported illegally. And this is why I keep stressing this is an importation issue which involves you know, border force in the sense this is a retail issue which involves health departments. It's a policing issue because there are also criminal elements involved here. You need a whole government approach if we actually want to do this.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 23: Obviously I'm from the public health side of things, so I really want to make sure that young people aren't getting addicted to these products, that they're not going to be set up for a lifetime of battling with you know, being addicted to nicotine.
Speaker 2: Yep, And well let me go to that again, either anecdotally or empirically. Vipes A my friends say, viping is addictive and I struggle to get off it. What's more addictive? A sigi or a vite A despisable vite?
Speaker 23: Yeah, well they both have nicotine in them, so they're both addictive. Nicotine is we know, highly highly addictive, particularly if you're exposed to it before your brain has fully developed. And I'm sure we all realize that our brains don't magically fully developed by age eighteen. It takes up to, you know, age twenty four really until our brains have done sort of growing and changing, and we don't want those developing brains exposed to nicotine. It can completely rewire you. So that we know that young people who are exposed to nicotine have attention issues. We know that young people often who vap report being increasingly anxious, because withdrawal from nicotine can feel like anxiety. Right, You're like, oh, I just don't feel right. I D you get that hit of nicotine and all of a sudden you feel better, not realizing that that's withdrawal from nicotine. That's what's making you feel anxious in the first place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, yeah, all right, Hey Becky, thank you very much for the chat. Really enjoyed it. Cheers.
Speaker 23: Oh great, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Becky Freeman, Professor of Public Health, University of Sydney. So yeah, border force to stop it being imported. And I've never thought of that. We don't probably should have. We don't make him in Australia. We do not make vapes in Australia. They are absolutely everywhere, aren't they, and we well, I know where to buy them because some of my mates vape. This is a lot of BS. Vaping is everywhere. Sign Steve says, Can I, Steve, I get my vape in liquid from Sydney, says Steve. Thank you, Steve. Cheers also vape without the nicotine, Sam, Steve on your mate, cheers, could I mark?
Speaker 26: Okay, mate? I just went to an Asian country not so long ago, and yeah, I got mine from there, and I went by Singapore, got it through there. I went through customers, got it through.
Speaker 2: There, and no questions asked were you were you nervous? Nervous? Were you're twitchy?
Speaker 26: I was twitchy in regards to the juice. I get that from England and that's that comes by Australia post right from my door.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 25: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wow? So is the those I know a disposable vopes? Mark? I don't know much about the other ones with the liquid? How how long was that bit of kit last year?
Speaker 13: For?
Speaker 27: Well?
Speaker 26: Mine's mine's not a disposable so I can refill mine?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and how long does that last? Was that?
Speaker 14: That?
Speaker 2: Forever? Is it?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 26: One pod? If you get I've got a few pods, if you're connected to your faith, you'll get about four or five thousand puffs out of it and it's probably cost you five dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, all right mate, Thanks Mark, thanks for the insight. So is that legal? And is that legal? Sure? Is that legal? I don't know. I don't think it is that. Matthew today, get up over here, going go well mate, good mate.
Speaker 28: Everyone turns the term war on drugs that's never worked. The who are on bapes definitely hasn't worked either. I don't understand why they don't dis legalize it and regulate it and tax it and then it's safer for everyone else. But by myself I've had to go back to smoking cigarettes recently because I can't get bapes and I'm not going to buy them illegally. I went to a GP about a week and a half ago, trying to get a prescription because apparently that's the way you have to do it now, and the students said they can't do it because they've been banned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, Well, well, I was reading the health website this morning, Maddie, and it says if you get a prescription from your GP, you can get them from your farmer. So I guess your your doctor thinks otherwise for some reason.
Speaker 28: Well, she just said, no, I can't do that. They've been banned.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's not true. Hey, yeah, I don't think that's right.
Speaker 28: On the other lady, you just had on too where she thought eighty of that first age bracket had never never tried baby, I think eighty kids surveyed line.
Speaker 2: I'm laughing with you because that did seem a little on the high sides of me as well, Matthew, knowing a few people in that age group. Yeah, cheers, mate, thank you, one, double three, eight eighty two. Have vapes won the War on vapes? The Yes, the fifty seven and the Nose of four. Thanks for listening him. We are going to discuss this topic of the fact that more women are working out and using weight heavyweights, bodybuilding, if you will, getting strong, building up some muscle mass. It's a it's a bigger thing. I'm going to talk about that on the program in just in the moment. Thanks for listening in. I'm Simon Bayman, plenty to come here on Perth today.
Speaker 8: Emergency works continue this morning in Mountain Rashon at Southwestern Highway southbound at Third Road, the leftland closed. Western Power are on site. Make sure you expect delays in the area. Good news earlier breakdown in Hammersley Read Highway eastbound after the Mitchell Freeway has been cleared.
Speaker 2: I'm Rob Beaver on Perth Traffic Leader six d are. Steve's got back to us. So. Steve has sent us a few semss about vapes and Steve reckons we do make them in Australia. We do make vapes. Steve send us some more information made. I have been told by the university professor that we don't. It's not something I ever thought about. I do understand some of them coming from overseas, Peter says today, Simon, I'm pretty sure vapes contain heavy metals and arthur and other arthur, other cartinogenic elements, So I don't think that they're safer than cigarettes, and that on cause health issue is pretty ridiculous. I think that's a safe option. Cheers, Pete, Thank you very much. Mate. One double three eighty two is the phone number today? Have vapes won the war on vapes? Yes, are fifty seven and the nose of four. Paul says, so strange this topic signment it is, Paul. It is got a lot of layers, isn't it. Mate. Some years ago on this very station, we heard an interview with the Philip Morris representative introducing Sherbert Flavor vape as the price of cigarettes got more expensive, in undated by callse to your show saying it's tageting kids and in their powers to be about it to happen. I'm not a smoker or a vapor Time we suck it up and net the government deal with what they turned a blind eye at. Not a people power problem for mine, This is Paul, thanks mate. Well, people find a way, don't they, mate, And that's that's certainly what's happening, and our listeners agree that vapes are winning the war on vapes. It's it's like they've they won the war months ago and none of us realized. I think, mate, a number of women are taking bodybuilding and a small proportion, or be in an increasing proportion, they're also dabbling in illegal steroids. Doctor Tim Piatowski is with a School of Applied Psychology at Griffith UNI. Joins me. Now todate Tim hey Bowie. Yeah, really, well thanks. I go to a chain gym here in Perth. There's a lot of them and there are more, certainly more and more women lifting heavier weights and building body maps. There's no doubt about it. So there is an uptick, isn't there?
Speaker 22: There isn't. I mean, we have data to show from the latest systematic review that I published with some colleagues last year. It's up at four percent prevalence globally, but among bodybuilders, when we every bodybuilder, it's sixteen.
Speaker 2: Point so quite Yeah. Yeah, what you know, we know, we know blokes take steroids, you know, not everyone is it is a minority. Still, what effect can anabolic steri roid have on a female body? Is it just the same?
Speaker 22: No, it's very different actually in that I guess throughout the most furious one and that's permanent infertility. I mean, now that can happen in men as well, but I think for women it's actually, you know, for men, there's a few things you can do in terms of increasing sperms out and things like that.
Speaker 6: For women.
Speaker 22: Very very much a potential consequence that can happen at any time, and so obviously there's other ones. You know, hair loss from the head, hair game on the face and body voice changes I think for women is a big one, lilteral growth acne, and you know, of course I think we could get to mention all the other benefits in the strength and performance and all those other types of things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I mean other side effects which are probably certainly less serious than permanent infertility, to in so mania, moodswings, depression effects the menstrual cycle, and a reduction in breast size, which are obviously less serious. But do you think I guess there is a question the same with blokes. I guess people weigh up the risk and saying no, I want to look amazing and be strong as and go into competitions or whatever they want to do and they ignore or the potential side effects.
Speaker 22: I think there's some degree. You know, people, what I guess, what my programs of research try and do is to assist people in making well informed decisions about their use, so knowing these risks and knowing that they're possible, and then making a decision from that point. But you're right to some people that actually don't have that information, and particularly for women, we know that the steroid literacy he is generally speaking lower, and so they're not making new decisions from a place of you know, a well and well informed confront.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, all right, but again the unintended consequences can be incredibly harmful. Yes, yeah, bottom line. Yeah, all right, Hey you Tim, good to talk to you. Keep up the good work. Thank you for the chat, Thanks for having met Dr Tim Piertowski from Griffith's UNI. Sorry we've gone to unit researchers in a row there. This is a separate but not unrelated issue. So more and more women are bodybuilding, and more and more women are using antabolic steroids. It's a worldwide trend. I see lots of girls in the gym that I go to who are very strong, very fit, very dedicated, work very hard, look after themselves. You know they've got personal trainers or they just know their way around the gym. It's definitely a thing. Lots more lots more people exercising, aren't there. That's what I walking going to the gym. Heaps of people doing yoga and plarties. It's definitely a good thing if it's done wisely, and you see a lot of it. Nineteen minutes to eleven. Thanks listening in Wonderble three eight eighty two is the phone number. A little bit later on in the show, you would have heard Milsey and Carl and Peter Ford talking about a remake of that very famous ac DC video long Way to the Top on the back of the Flatbeg truck with Bond Scott with the bagpipes. It was made by Countdown, made on Swanson Street. I think in Melbourne. We're going to talk about that a little bit later on the program as well. The great we just got on film clips back in the day in Countdown days. Then they became video clips around the MTV sort of era around there. So happy to have a chat about that a little bit later on in the program. Wonderuble three eight eighty two. Have vapes won the War on vapes? Fifty nine yeses and four nos. Back In a moment dancing on the ceiling, Tony says, my wife is definitely doing more heavy lifting at the gym these days. He used to be primarily cardio and now a lot of deadlifts, squats, et cetera. Real conundrums. She looks great, but I live in constant fear of her challenging me to an armrestle. Tony, You'll be all right, mate, do your very best. How can vapors think putting fluid into your lungs is a good thing? My son vapes, and I'm very worried about long term effects, says Mary. Someone says a lot of delis in armadoald so vapes and legal tobacco can get a pouts with thirty bucks. I know we can get stuff as well. It's yeah, it's quite quite common knowledge. I would have thought him for old fellas like me. Rob says, as an ex personal trainer who twenty eight clients are started to see the shift in the way people trained, especially women, as soon as Instagram and Facebook took off, and unfortunately the moment see a lot of videos of young ladies putting the workout videos online and as we know, not everyone is confident with their bodies, and we'll see alternatives to improve it. Yeah, Rob, that's the thing too, filming yourself in the gym, no doubt. Yes, No, have vapes won the war on vapes? The yeses are fifty fifty nine of the nose of four. Have you seen changes in the way people exercise? I'd love to hear from you today. One of our listeners is classic distraction. Let's have a crack at vaping when there's probably ten bigger issues in society. It's that anonymous correspondent. We try and go as many issues as we can each and every day. Probably do what have we got four hours? Probably do twelve stories a day, mate, if we can at least wonderble three eight eighty two. If you'd like to get in touch with us today. I have you heard about the police cells of the stadium, So I've known about them for a while, and I do remember when the stadium was built the police were at the time. We're having a fee bit of our antisocial activity, behavior lawlessness out at the birds Would train station. Now that's since calm down a fair bit. So they thought, great, we can have a cop shop at the stadium and it's close to the birds would train station. All well and good as that behavior has improved and that situation has improved, the cop shop and the cells are now only used on game day. And you would have heard you would have heard Corle say this morning to us there's been a hundred people through those cells since since twenty eighteen. I reckon, that's a fair bit, Kyle reckons. You know, what do you get thirty forty fifty thousand on average to every Optis game? And if there's only one going through the cells every couple of weeks, it's not a bad thing. So and Kyle is always looking for, you know, to a compliment that community on their behavior, which is fine. One double three A eighty two is the is the phone number. Jake Patrick, our news director, is with us. He joins me at the desk. You've been to the Premiers press conference this morning.
Speaker 29: Jake, Yes, good morning, Simon. Two more sleeps until state budget. Yes, you're pumped, very I'm very pumped, very pumped. It's one more sleep until state of origin, two more sleeps until the Dockers host Hessanton off to stadium twenty.
Speaker 2: Five million more sleeps until West Coast Winter flag. Correct, I'm not going to win a flag this year.
Speaker 30: I would have thought so.
Speaker 2: All right, Yeah, I'm getting ahead of yourself there. Well, I'm just trying to think in your own Conningwood Bathwater, trying to think who beats us by.
Speaker 30: No, Brisbane are frauds.
Speaker 29: And it was case in point on the weekend losing at home to GWS who don't have half their blokes.
Speaker 2: That's it's just he kicks seven, didn't he. Yeah, that's all right like that.
Speaker 29: Yeah, anyway, I've been saying to all your Brisbane of frauds premiership hangover.
Speaker 2: And that's fine.
Speaker 29: They're the running premier. They're entitled to and before it's a year after. Let's get back on here. At the press conference this morning, Premier Cook, Yeah, Premier Cook, a couple of health ministers, so the Minister for Health Meredith Hammett and the Minister for Health Infrastructure John Carey. This is a project that was slated before the pandemic. It's an upgrade to junl Up Hospital. So the K Block is a new block that's been built up there in the northern Suburbs at jundle Up Health Campus.
Speaker 30: There's a couple of flaws.
Speaker 29: In that block that remain empty, still need fitted out, so there's going to be some money in the budget on Thursday to fit those rooms out. So it's looking like another sixty beds will be added to that facility. So that's a good result for a health system that's been on its knees for a few years now. So that's the latest pre budget announcement from the state government, twenty four million dollars in the budget to enable more public patients to access care at that facility. So Roger Cook was out there this morning with his two health ministers and their various portfolios. So it'll be yeah, I used to live up in the Northern Suburbs.
Speaker 30: I've been to the hospital before.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 29: There isn't one around there for a few kilometers. So interesting to hear from the listeners whether you know what sort of issues or if they're happy with the state of care up in the norse Than suburbs. So it looks like they'll be getting some more beds or some funding for some more beds in the budget which will be handed down on Thursday.
Speaker 2: All right, Jake, While you're here. You have been to many press conferences about Metronet.
Speaker 30: Yes, I have.
Speaker 2: You actually inadvertently souvenir a Metronet jacket the other week, but you had to give it back.
Speaker 30: Yeah, they called me, but you Yeah, they called me and asked.
Speaker 2: For it back because I mentioned on a So what I want to ask you the C class trains? Yes, is there? You've been on trains a lot and you follow up with interest, Is there less leg room? Do you think I.
Speaker 29: Haven't tuned into Because Simon you might know this about me, I'm a pretty generous bloke. I don't tend to sit on trains very often. I like to give my set up for people that might need it more so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very nice.
Speaker 29: I haven't really tuned into the leg room factor on either train. I know on the what it would it be? The B class train, the not so new ones, the middle I guess there's not a lot of leg room on those.
Speaker 30: So I've seen this story bubbling.
Speaker 29: Whether there's less leg room on the C class trains, I don't know, but if there is, that would be pretty uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's have a listen to Premier Cook spoke about the C series trains at the press conference, have a listen.
Speaker 31: Well, look, I don't have obviously specific details in relation to the driver training or the rollout of the trains, other than to say that part of the rollout means that we continue to learn, and this was part of the introduction of the B series as well. You control these things, but once you get into real time and actually on the job, that's when you really learn about all the nooks and crannies and the idiosyncrasies of the trains and you can continue to refine the model. No, not at all, and look, I think we need to be careful about the language we use in relation to this. This is a rollout of a new C series train made in WA and it's an important part of the evolution of our public transport system. It is safe and we continue to learn as we great these new C series models trains into our overall fleet. Well, as I've said, we have not received any advice that there's issues in relation to safety, but obviously we do take the driver's view seriously, which is the reason why we're continuing to modify the air conditioning arrangements in the cabin and while we're trialing new seats to see if that meets the needs of the drivers.
Speaker 2: So something's happened here. So Dylan Capeorn has the story page eleven of the West Today. Good Adel, and I reckon you are listening. Train drivers have slamed the locally made Sea Series railcars, and yet when Breakfast and As have tried to get hold of the union, they've got nothing to see here. Public commentary is not going to help the issue. So it seems like they're on the front foot. They had held a survey, but the rail train and bus union have scarped on this one. I've gone to ground, Jakie.
Speaker 29: I'm a firm believer of the saying where there's smoke, there is fire. I think that can apply to a lot of things, and I think it applies to this. However, it is quite simply bizarre that nobody wants to go I want to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when they're in, they're quoted in the paper. Cheers, mate, Thank you Jake, thanks for bringing us up to date.
Speaker 30: You're very welcome.
Speaker 2: Thank you, ate, Jake Patrick from and news me in fact and news director. Gooday, Lizzie, how are you going good? Thank you? You're a you're like going on the gym.
Speaker 13: Do you absolutely. I'm a self confessed jym junkie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lifting heavier weights, stretching, combination. What are you doing?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I'm a bit of a I can class myself as a bit of a hybrid queen. So I do lifting, running, pretty much, any sport, optical course, racing, heavyweights, yeah, hit training everything.
Speaker 2: So yeah, good on you. Feeling good, looking good.
Speaker 13: Feeling good, looking good. Maintain my fitness journey throughout both of my pregnancies. So definitely copped a lot of flats from the oldies. And you shouldn't be lifting when you're pregnant. But hey, yeah, nothing bad happened there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what's give me a figure? What can you ben Can you do bench press?
Speaker 17: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I can bench I'm currently benching.
Speaker 16: Sixty but that's good.
Speaker 20: I will be.
Speaker 13: Working up to sixty five eventually. How many just so one rap that's my one rep max currently, So that's good. Yeah, not too bad. I'm not a professional weightlifter, but when you try and mix in running and marathons and things, you can't maintain the you know, the bulk strength as well.
Speaker 2: No, No, A good bit of core strength and a bit of all around strength. Good on you, Lisa, that's unreal. Would you agree with me that more and more women are lifting one hundred percent.
Speaker 13: I've definitely noticed the change in the last you know, say, I've been gimming since I was sixteen, so what that will thirteen? I don't know how idly I'm thirty three. You can do the math. I've been doing a long time and I've definitely noticed. I used to be the only girl in the big boy weight section as we call it, and now it's predominantly a lot of women, which is great to see.
Speaker 2: And you're at a public gym, a local government Jim marn't you.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I'm at a.
Speaker 13: Levels in the gym, so a big mix of age and variety of people go there. But I'm definitely seeing more girls, especially on the squad rack.
Speaker 2: Yep. Good to talk to you, Lizzie. Keep out the good work, look after yourself.
Speaker 13: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Lizzy, thirty three year old young mum who is lifting heavyweights and she's seeing more and more of it. That's she's from the Craigie Legters Center Gym, which is one of the bigger local government gyms. Around the bigger Leger Center gym, there's a massive gym Craigi. Good on your Lizzie. Really nice to hear from your phone. Lines are open one double three eight eighty two, three and a half minutes to eleven. Love to hear from you. Michael Keaton's legal name is Michael Douglas. He had to change it because of Michael Douglas. Going to ask the question after eleven o'clock today, have you changed your name or do you know someone who's changed their name not for marriage, change your name for some reason. It's eleven o'clock.
Speaker 1: Now on Perth six PR. This is Perth Today with Simon Beaumont.
Speaker 32: Bang As.
Speaker 2: The yes no question today, which will take through until one o'clock today, is very one sided, which we weren't expecting expecting you have vapes won the War on vapes. Sixty six yeses and four no's. We're talking about it this morning. Given the Federal Vapes Commissioner Aaron Dale is not going to be reappointed in her positions. He's only interim acting. That's why we're talking about today. That's the new bit in the story. So we're asking that question. And look a lot of our listeners have said, we know where to buy there's no enforcement. Police Commissioner Cole Blanche said, we're not enforcing it. It's not our job to see if you know, the vape shop in x y Zed Street he's selling vapes illegally. That's not our job. That's for the health department. And I don't see any just I don't know who at the Health Department walks around in a uniform with a sniffer dog and goes into these places. I genuinely don't know. And I've been around my mates when they've bought vapes heaps of times and it's easy. It's easy peasy, and they recognize you when you come. Mick in l O again. You want this one again? Yet? David us the question today? Have you ever changed your name? Or do you excuse me, do you know someone who's changed their name for a reason? Devo says, Hi Si, I've never changed my name, but that hasn't stoped a few of my mates calling me by a different name. And yes to your question of the day, I'll put you down as a yes. Meil Maka thank you. Aileen Simon, You, like many of us, are a bit filthy at the woefully inadequate performance of West Coast over the last three years, over the last few years, three and a half Aleen. Just think how awful and to moralize it must be for the newer, younger players who do put in effort, I always seem to lose and never experience a good times. That don't envy them, Thanks Aleen. I mentioned it yesterday on the show that I've you know, And there wasn't a great weekend. Rabbit has lost, Australia lost at cricket, East Perth lost, West Coast loss, memou Le didn't make the cut in the US Open, so it wasn't a great weekend for me personally. But you know, life goes on, Aileen. Yeah, it's all has it all been a little bit ordinary, hasn't it? Three and a half years is a long time to not see any hope. Do you know someone who has changed their name one double three eighty two? Michael Keaton. Michael Keaton is a Hollywood blockbuster star, isn't he? He was in Birdman? I think he was in He's been in some rom comms. Michael Keaton. I'll look the list up, but Michael Keaton very very well known actor. Of course, his real name is Michael Douglas, but he couldn't be Michael Douglas because of Michael Douglas. So the Hollywood Actors Union only allows one person to work under particularly the name at the time, and Michael Douglas Kirk Douglas's little boy, he got to keep his So Michael Keaton changed his name and he picked up his new name out of the phone book. Michael Keaton, Michael Keaton, Have you changed your name? And why? One double three eight eighty two. This one here from Grumpy JB. Hi JB. Biggest news is the Iran Israel war. No coverage on here on six pr ands, I missed it. JB. Is in the news, mate, It's in just about every news bulletin. It's the reason Donald Trump is leaving. The G seven Summit is in the news, mate. So there's so much of it to cover for a show like Hours to print story to TV story, primarily because of the imagery, of course, it is. It is our news wonderble three eight eight two. Hello Carol.
Speaker 27: Simon, how are you very well?
Speaker 2: Thank you, thanks for asking.
Speaker 33: I'll tell you a funny story about a name change. My daughter, her name is Jennifer Louise, and when she went and got a diver's license. I mean we're talking here fifteen years ago. They transposed the spelling and it came up as Jennifer Lowsey and so we didn't know.
Speaker 20: Justph thought.
Speaker 33: We got home and we phoned them up and she said, oh, no, you're going to have to come in and pay for a name change. And we said, well no, look, this was your mistake. And they kept insisting that we pay for this name change, and we finally said no, that they'll you know, all right, then we'll do it for free. And they said you have to bring your births to beginning and we said, hang in a minute, you took a copy of a verse and forget when you did it. So big fight anyway, So they finally changed. But the problem is that she now has an alias. Whenever she does a police check or anything, she has to put in that she is Jennifer Louise, also known as Jennifer Lousei. So because there's no way to delete office system once you're there, she is also Jennifer Lousi.
Speaker 2: So it's a bit funny, sad, it's a bit sad, it is a bit funny. Thanks Carol. Jennifer LOUSI, Yeah, I don't know why. Reminded me of the story yesterday the blokeo park for three weeks and the Hillaries car park, and the car park was rebitchamized, rehash folded so the ashfader around his car put in the line markings. The car park was rebitchamized by the Department of Transport Marine Division. How could the Department of Transport Marinevision not talk to the Department of Transport Land Division and say, can you find out who owns this car and we'll give him a call? How did that not happen? One double three eighty two love to hear from you today on have you ever changed your name? One double three at two is the is the phone number if you'd like to cause have you changed your name? Peter says. If the police aren't going to police, the vapor shops and miners will open one up, Yes, Peter, that he can sell, you know, convenience sort of stuff as well in newspapers and lollies everything. One double three A two ivan says Premier Cook said the Wa trains are made in w A true or false ivan? They are assembled in w A. I believe they are assembled in w a the parts come from elsewhere. And I do remember Paul Murray doing a double paide spread in Saturday's West probably three months ago about this issue about it's being claimed as you know, w A jobs and w A this and w A that, But there is some question there are some question marks about where the staff are from and where the parts are from. Ivan one, double three two. Have you changed your name or do you know someone who's changed their name? Murray says, our family had a tradition at the first born Mayle's name the same as their father, and my nephew was born, my brother decided to swap the first and middle names around. When my nephew termed twenty one, he changed his name back, so it's the same as granddad and great granddad, it says Murray. Thanks Murray. How much does it cost to change your name these days? Muz, it used to be one hundred and seventy five dollars. Used to be called deed pol didn't it. What's it called now? If you want to change your name. Robbie Beaver, now traffic man, said Michael J. Fox had the same issue. He was Michael A. Fox, but the Canadian actors killed forced him to change his name, and one of our listeners couldn't come on air reported about half a dozen half a dozen police cars marked and unmarked flying along Great Easton Highway from Redcliffe towards Midland. Believe there's a b shuit going on thanks to that caller. Not too many weeks go by. Well, we don't have a police chase in the in the city. I changed my name to Juan Powerball, says Jan Powerball. Rockey, I can't, I can't read that out Roco. It's a family show. Thanks mate, thanks for listening, appreciate it. We'll take a break. It's fourteen and a half minutes past eleven. I'm Simon Beymont. Johnny Manager says, when I got married, my wife's maiden name changed from butt b U double T to ball b A double L. It's just not cricket, Johnny Manager, Good John. And then fifty seven years ago, next week, fifty seven years married, John Bold to your mate, World done wonderble three eight two. Troy from Collige ad a Troy Gary Hocking from Geelong changed his name to Whiskers for a promo for the cat food he did. Mate, that's completely fine and that did happen, Seawan says, maybe cole Blanche all be a little concerned about the vape shops when they start fire bombing each other like in the Eastern States, as a large number of the vape shops also celelegal tobacco. Sean, hasn't happened to you yet, thankfully. I always get a general sense that these convenience stores are not organized crime oriented, if that makes sense, Sean. They don't look at or feel like at their sort of mum and dad family businesses. I could be wrong, could be wrong. When this money involved and illegal money involved, these things can happen. Have vapes won the War on vapes? The yeses are seventy one and the nose of four. I'd like to do a story now that's appeared in Wa today about the lifespan a vessel called the Nangara. The Nangara one signed by Woodside, but it disappeared and turned into a ghost ship for six years. And it raises the question what happens with big industrial vessels when they are decommissioned, Where do they go? Where can they be decommissioned? And is there a better way of doing it? And more is a spokesperson with the Maritime Union of Australia joins us. Now good ay, Ange, Yeah, hi there, how are I Yeah, good to talk to you. So tell us about this particular one, the Woodside vessel, the Nangara. What happened to it? Where did it go?
Speaker 34: Yeah?
Speaker 19: Look, the name Gara, it's pretty symbolic actually of a larger problem that's going on off the coast of Australia. So the name Gara. It finished up its job for Woodside in twenty eighteen, and so once it was disconnected from the oil field, you know, the oil field was finished up, it was retired. So the vessel sailed off oil was toad actually over to Malaysia and it's sat there at anchor ever since, untouched basically, you know, deteriorating and just rotting in Malaysia there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what did it do when it was a working vessel?
Speaker 19: Yeah, so it was an FPSO or a floating production platform, So it was you know, we draw up the resource from under the seabed and then process it and exupport it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's a sorry Angel said, two hundred and seventy meters long. It's a massive bit of kit can store nine hundred thousand barrels of oil. So it went to Malaysia.
Speaker 19: Then what happened, Well, it's been sitting there idle. It's out of mind, out of sight, I guess, you know, over the and we just we see that as a bit of a cop out basically from dream companies who have You know, I've made some pretty nice profits over here in Australia, and now when it comes time to decommission these assets or you know, they're actually liabilities, they're they're just sending them away to be you know, I guess someone else's problem.
Speaker 2: So and you know, we covered stories here on the show before our boats get dumped in the Swan River, they get dumped in little marinas. People just walk away them because they can't afford them, can't afford the insurance. The upkeep is that are you sort of suggesting that's the same with these big multinationals. They're shipping their big bits of kid awakes. They don't want to pay form anymore.
Speaker 20: Look, it certainly seems that way.
Speaker 19: So there's a pattern emerging, and that there's a whole bunch of reasons for it. You know that these companies don't have to pay any bonds or you know, financial assurances when they start up an offshore project. So essentially when it comes time to clean up their mess like as there obliged to do, they don't particularly want to. They don't want to fork out. But anyway, we actually have capacity here in Australia. We've got a skilled workforce, you know, very ready to do the work. And so what we need is a little bit of a stronger hand by the regulator and also a bit of.
Speaker 20: Political will.
Speaker 2: So to recycle them or to better decommission them in Australian waters, whatso they can be used again or someone else can use the assets somehow.
Speaker 19: Yeah, look, if they can be refurbished and used somewhere else, you know, that's fantastic, that's probably a good thing to do. But what we see time and time again is as it's been deliberately run down. Of course, they know that they're going to be decommissioned one day, and so they don't pay the money on the maintenance and the upkeep of these things. You know, our members can attest to this, and so there's some pretty surely practices going on just to save a buck, and that's at the cost of safety. Also, it's not just these large hulking tankers, it's all of the platforms out there. There's you know, over sixty sixed platforms that need to you know eventually once the resource has been extracted and needs to be cleaned up. Just the companies know this, but they're not.
Speaker 24: Ready to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sure, talking to and Moore, a spokesporus from the Maritime Union of Australia and just on the Nangara going off Malaysia there it would appear that where it was anchored it's an ise and off Brunei, there were dozens of ships there. So this is this is the go to spot, is it?
Speaker 19: It really is? I mean it's obviously a matter for the Malaysian government to regulate that space, but it does seem to be a little bit more lax than other jurisdictions. And so yeah, we do see things being dumped their ghost ships. As you said, yeah, all right, it's a pretty shoddy practice.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 2: In the article of the whday R called Madeline King, the Minister, the Resources Minister has has weighed into the procurement process is ongoing. You're confident that there'll be some political will here.
Speaker 19: Look I really hope. So, you know, that's all of the rhetoric that's been coming from the federal government. It's been very very strong, you know, around actually kicking off this dehinising industry in Australia. They say that all they've estimated around sixty billion dollars of benefit that can be Actually, you know, we stand to see that here in Australia. We don't want to see it in Malaysia or even to Norway where some of the assets seem to be going. So look, I would I really hope that Minister King does you know, intervene where the regulator has has let us down.
Speaker 2: So I'm getting a bit of correspondence in here Ange on our text line and cause of phoning in. I think Dateline might have covered a story about ships being chopped up in and off Bangladesh. Have you heard about that part of it as well?
Speaker 19: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. So there's an international treaty that's about to come into force called the Hong Kong Convention. It's around the safe recycling of ships, and it's an attempt by the international community to head off the depths and the injuries that keep happening in sites like Bangladesh. So hopefully Australia will actually be a signatory to that because as of yet we're not. And you know what that requires is a hazardous inventory of a ship and for the receiving dismantling place to be able to handle all of the hazards on there. And so we're looking at things like naturally occurring radioactive material that's on board these vessels and on the rigs, on the platforms as well.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's a bit of a head downside to to you know, this massive industry we have up north, isn't it when you know these vessels have to go somewhere and they are expensive, so could they be better decommissioned in Australia? And thanks for your time, good chat. Thank you, Yeah, thank you. By and Moore a spokesperson from the m u A, the Maritime Union of Australia. Interesting, hey, so that's a WA Today story. That's a Nangara owned one signed by Woodside disappeared for six years and it was angeredoff an island of Bahrain sort of in Malaysian waters from what we can understand. Thanks for listening in it's twenty six minutes past eleven. Love to hear from you today. Thanks for your correspondence. Just a reminder, we are a talk back station. We'd love to hear from you. One of our listeners says, there are a lot of police cars in Forest Chase across the road from the railway station at the moment. Thank you. I worked for Murray says, I worked for a retailer who had a vape shop next door. We have had several unsavory encounters with the owner's threats of violence, abuse, standover type behavior. I'm sorry to hear that, Murray. Maybe the little vape shops, corner vape shops. I stand outside mom my mates going to buy a vape. They don't seem like that. They seem like mums and dads and sons working in there. I hope you're okay there, muzz cheers mate. Rick says Simon. Didn't you recently change your name to Shane? I did, Rick, not of my own choosing. I think someone else chose to do that. Thank you for remembering. Have vapes won the vapes? Have vapes won the war on vapes? The yes is seventy six and the noseer for a lot of our listeners, Reckon it's over. The war may have been fought and one months and months ago we just didn't realize. Do you live in a colder sack? There's a story in the Horizons magazines today in the rac there are about a thousand colder sacks in Western Australia, in suburban Perth and in fact in some parts of country Wa. South headn I think has got a heap of colder sacks from memory. Do you live in a colder sack? What's it like? Because we're seeing less of them being built for varying reasons. Do you live in a colder sack? Hilton Park's got them, south Headland's got them. I think maybe places like Stratton. I've got a lot of colder sacks as well, having driven into Stratton once by mistake and then couldn't find my way back out Stratton, Hilton Park, South Headland, cold of sack central. Do you live in a colder sack? Is it any good?
Speaker 8: Twenty eight minutes past eleven back in a moment good news earlier as a bri Mitchell southbound Karen I brought in. Sterling has been cleared. We are still dealing with those emergency works in Mount raschon those Southwestern Highway southbound at Third Road, the left lane remains closed. Western Power on site. Make sure you plan had to avoid any delays. I'm Rob d verrom Peruzz Traffic Leader six PR.
Speaker 2: Yeah so rac Horizons magazine have estimated this probably one thousand cold de sacs through Western Australia. Do you live in one or you lived in one? Zeno?
Speaker 35: Gooday, Hey Simon, Yeah, we lived in a coulder sack for about three years.
Speaker 34: While we're building our new home.
Speaker 35: It was quiet street. You get a lot of drivers that are lost. Our coulder sac ended against the Tonguin Highway in on Walter Road.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yep, yep, yeah yeah, any good mate, Any good living there? Little little parties and stuff.
Speaker 35: Yeah yeah, it was good parties close to Charlie's Charlie's food mark.
Speaker 26: It was pretty handy.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, all right. Good to hear from your made. Colder sacks are great for neighborhood street parties, is Debbie, especially around Christmas time? Thanks Debbie. Yeah, my live grew up in a colder sack house I think one, two, three, four, five six houses and they used to end that this street in a really share of boar. So all the people in the street put in for a boar balls at the top house and everyone gets two hours of bore wader every day. I think that's legal. One double three ay two. We're building less cold de sacks, apparently this one here from Lyle Hi Lyle, I live in a colder sack off a cold de sack heroin close in Balajura. So we love it so quiet, so much more usable space out in the front of the house. Cheers Lyle. Thank you mate, good to hear from you. Gary says David Bowie changed his name as there was a David Jones in the Monkeys. There was Gary Davy Jones and David Bowie's name was David David Bow's name. What's David Jones? One double three add two Jeff. Yes, it's great and better within one kilometer of the bay. I think that's Jeff from Safety Bay. Yeah, there's a few down in Rocking Hand. Mate, isn't there my word, yes, my word, yes. I live in a cold sack in Sterling. Total of two houses. Mine and the neighbor. Don't think ever move. It's the best, says way.
Speaker 15: No.
Speaker 2: One double three heighty two is the is the phone number if you want to give us a call today. We're going to talk to a planning institute Fella in just a moment. So colder sacks are being let use less and less by town planners. Let's do this, max on pers six PR.
Speaker 1: The stock market reports.
Speaker 2: Oh, he Claire joins us from Sure and Partners. Do you even a colder sacoe?
Speaker 32: I do, Simon, and I love it. Not a lot of passing traffic. And all the neighbors are very close friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's nice. Nice man like you and you'd make friends easily. That sounds good. Thanks, You're welcome. No problems CSL having your drug approved for sale.
Speaker 34: Yes.
Speaker 32: CSL are the largest Australian healthcare company and they've come up with a new drug to treat a pretty rare genetic condition that triggers uncontrolled and random swelling in people's bodies. Fortunately it only occurs in about one in fifty thousand people. The new drug treatment has already been approved for sale in Australia, Europe, in Japan, but now today the US Food and Drug Administration has said it's okay to sell in the US. So CSL will launch the new drug called and debris there immediately. Cslhares haven't had an overly positive reaction to the news. They're actually down by eighty cents, trading at two hundred and thirty eight dollars thirty. The Australian rail company Horizon we yesterday awarded contracts by BHP to handle all of their rail transport for BHP's Australian copper operations, and that is estimated to be worth one point five billion dollars in revenue to arise in over the next ten years. Horizon shares are only slightly stronger today, they're trading at three dollars eleven and BHP and Rio Tinto have had some positive news themselves. They're jointly trying to develop a massive underground copper mine in Arizona in the US called Resolution Copper. They received their environmental approvals in the first term of Donald Trump, but that was rescinded by the Biden administration and now they've got their approvals again. But it's estimated that any potential mining is still ten years away, and the discovery was first made back in nineteen ninety five, so these things do take a very long time.
Speaker 34: To get up.
Speaker 32: BHP shares today are down by thirty Centsury Ore Tinto are steady at one hundred and seven dollars ten and the Treasurer, Jim Chalmers has made his first public comments about yesterday's takeover bid four Santos. He hadn't really added much. He said that this has got a long way to run yet, and he will be waiting for the advice of the Foreign Investment Review Board. The share market remains very skeptical that the takeover will succeed. Santos shares are basically steady at seven dollars seventy five, which is still a dollar fourteen below the potential takeover price of eight dollars eighty nine a share. In the boarder market, it looks to be marking time today. We're all waiting to see if the US gets involved with some sort of military action against Iran. The all odds is down by four points. We're at eighty seven hundred and seventy.
Speaker 2: Sermon, eight seven and eight seven seventy.
Speaker 34: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Thanks o eat cheers, mate, have a good day. Talk to you tomorrow. Thanks so oh clear from Shore and Partners Martin. You live in a colder sack or on a colder sack, yes, yes, simmon idea, Yeah, whereabout mate there in Kingsley? Yeah? Nice?
Speaker 7: And I think Kingsley must be coulder sack Central.
Speaker 2: Got a few of them.
Speaker 36: We seem to have a lot of them up here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And do you live on a colder sack or in one?
Speaker 34: In one?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I reckon you live in one, don't you? Yeah?
Speaker 37: Yeah, been in there forty years.
Speaker 2: Get on well with the neighbors, mate, Yeah.
Speaker 7: And the great thing is there's only three or four to get to know because we're a very.
Speaker 12: Small colder sack.
Speaker 2: Yeah nice mate, Thank you mate, thank you very much for ringing Martin's and Kingsley lives in a colder sack. We are building less of them, apparently. I'd love to hear from you today. Do you live in a colder sack? Is it any good? I live in a coldersack? And Riverton says Margaret. Hello, Margaret's backs onto Varland the voland a Margaret. People have started parking in our street walking through to catch bus to work. That's the thing. If you're in a colder sack and it's got an alleyway, it's got a little an alleyway to another street. People do use them as thoroughfarees, don't they. Hammersley Hamersley is perse pioneering cold de Sack suburbs is David of Greenwood. Thank you, David. Hamersley's also the honeymoon capital of the world. Glenn says, life is a cold de Sack starts out promising me, ends up in a dead end, and Dave says, and Max, I don't know if you can help us with this around request. Can you play the guy on your show when you're talking about cars and who's describing the speedo warning sound ding ding ding Please? How did you go?
Speaker 27: Max?
Speaker 2: I found it? Bowie, you have let's have a crack, mate.
Speaker 21: Once you get to one hundred klonbas an hour, yeah, this is going back from nineteen seventy up to nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 21: Once you get two one hundred k's you get a ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding.
Speaker 2: Ding yep, and get the picture. Thanks Dave, Thanks for thanks for remembering that. I've forgot about that. Mate gets dark about us six, Thanks Dave, thanks for that, Thanks for remembering. Alice Petrowsky is the vice president of the Playing Institute of Australia, of Australia in the w a division of all of that joins him now Okada, Alex, Yeah, really good to talk to you. So story in the rac Horizons magazine that we're building less and less cold of sacks. Some of them have a kind of a name, don't they. They starts with R. I think ram Barn. What's that note? That's for the system of the colder sacks And.
Speaker 37: It's a Radburn principle. I think it came up to the garden city.
Speaker 12: Planning back in the day.
Speaker 2: Radburn, that's it. I think I've seen it in south Head and Alex if I'm if I'm not, if I'm right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 37: There's a few. Then there's a few in and around.
Speaker 6: Perth as well.
Speaker 2: And are we building less than maid and why?
Speaker 34: Well, I think we are.
Speaker 37: As we grow up in the city, we realize that, you know, we've tried the garden principle and it really works in low density areas. But as our city continues to densify, we're looking at improving connections, making it easier for people to walk and ride and take alternative forms of transport and kind of shifting the focus away from building a city around a car to building a city around people and other forms of transport.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, Alex. We're talking about it today and people are ringing in and they love living in a colder sack. You know, they've got three or four, five, six neighbors get on really well, theome street parties, looking after each other's kids, having a good time, sense of community. It's interesting that guys like yourself and planners see other benefits or see the benefits of not building in cold de sacs.
Speaker 37: Now, well that's right. Well, I mean all those things are absolutely right. And I grew up in essentially a colder sake. It was a circle. But there's no reason why those you know, getting to know your neighbors, having parties and you know, meeting each other on the street. That can happen on many different types of streets, so it just doesn't have to be a cold a sake. While it does slow the traffic down because you know there's only one way, you know, this can happen all through different types of streets and boulevards around the area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have the south Head and could de sac principle is extraordinary. Having driven around it, Alex, like you get stuck. He gets stuck. He can't he never find him way out to the main road in the South heaven one. I don't know what the other ones arelike, but it's not always easy. I think Stratton is very similar. Stratton add in Midvalve is very similar. I think from memory. Sometimes they're hard to get out of, aren't they.
Speaker 28: Ah, that's it.
Speaker 37: You can pretty much get lost in Bella Juris sometimes as well. And that's another principle as well. We kind of need to make our road to be easier for people to understand and get around. And instead of making someone walk a kilometers, if you've got a street going through or you know, a lame way like they have in some places, it can really shorten the distance. And that's really important for people who might not be as mobile or might.
Speaker 25: Not have a car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, talking to Alex Petrotski. Alex is the Vice President of the Planning Institute of Australia and he's VP here in w A. Alex. More broadly, you know, you sometimes hear criticism. You know, Stevenson Avenue wasn't planned properly back in the day in the fifties, and freeway wasn't planned to be wide enough. How does the Planning Planning Institute these days have an input into WA Planning Commission initiatives or local government initiatives? How is it? Are we getting better at it?
Speaker 37: Look, I think we are growing up and we are getting better. We have we build on our relationships and we've got a great relationship with the state government and the Minister for Planning and we're essentially our thought leader, representing our members at the fourth front of some of the best planning examples. Now sometimes we're thinking fifty sixty years down into the future and we've got a big role in community education as well. So sometimes there can be some peer of change and things being different, but it's really important that the planning is the true and the planners out there take the community on a journey and actually show them the benefits of how we can do things better.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, Hey, really good to talk to you today, Alex, Thank you, Thank you, bar She's Alex Petrowski, Vice President here in WA of the Planning Institute of Australia. Coulder sacks are being used less and less bytown planners as we try to densify get people moving through suburbs, make suburbs more connected in terms of pedestrians and the light and getting us to train stations of public transport. After hear from you today, are you do you live in a cold sack? Or have you lived in a cold de sac? We've asked John Nichols do you live in a colder sack? John says it's in and he is the authority. John does live in a colder sack. It's a very nice, one beautiful little bit of a hill. And that hasn't John very nice colder sack? John lives in sixteen and a half minutes to mid They love to hear from you. Have vapes won the war on vapes? Our listeners think they have. Our listens think they have won the war on vapes. Seventy six to four, sixteen minutes to twelve. Back in a moment, Dave says, I sound like a German. Why is that, Dave? That's very funny. Fred says, I think I read that colder sack means the bottom of the bag. It does, Fred, I just looked it up. Be after you send in the text. I think means the bottom of the bottom of the sack. Colder sacks the Uel Sac. Thanks Fred. One of our listeners is police cards heading north on the fray of Belcata in a big hurry, and that was about five minutes ago. He has been some police activity today, some police of vehicular movement twelve and a half minutes to twelve. Have vapes won the war on apes? Yeses are seventy six and those of four Peter, you.
Speaker 34: Know Simon, Yes, I live in a culder sack nice off Odin Drive. So both ends of Odin Drive coulder sacks.
Speaker 2: Yes, and yeah that's true.
Speaker 34: We are we are between the Mitchell Freeway mode and drive. So there's two coulder sacks where I am. So when you come off all Place, there's a culder sack in All Place, and there's a coulder sack in Martelly Place. And then if you go over the freeway in gwell Up near the gwell Up shopping center, more coulder sacks. Yes, it is a collection.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's heaps around there. I think where you are. There's those little lakes as well, on those cycle ways, in those little ornamental lakes, Pete, Yeah, yeah, yeah, cool. Peter. If you lived at the other end, you could walk to the Odin Tavern.
Speaker 34: Well I live. I live when I was much fitter. I'm about fifteen minutes walk from the Odin Tavern Simon.
Speaker 2: Yeah so yeah.
Speaker 34: And then actually I used to be able to cross it. Well, the road used to go all the way there.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 34: Then they closed that end off and you have to walk through a path.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, you do have to walk through a path. Pete. I'm going to check this, but I'm pretty sure where near where you live and that part of Odin Road was on the nineteen sixty two marathon course for the Commonwealth Games.
Speaker 6: Is that right?
Speaker 24: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It was out and back from Prairie Lakes, went down there down Telford Present, Ok, where the bridge is, and I freak think it went down your way mate. I'm going to check that when down Odin Road as well. What I'm Pete. Thanks for having a chat to us, Thank you mate. Ten and a half minutes to midday, Pete con Hi, Kathy, Hi, how are you going good? Thank you? You live in a cold set.
Speaker 38: It's called a close oh yes, yep.
Speaker 16: Yeah, so it's only got about I think eight houses and it's also got a driveway that leads to a little over fifties village sort of thing as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, what suburb Rockingham? Oh yeah, okay, there's plenty in Rockingham, isn't.
Speaker 16: There there is? Yeah, yeah, but we absolutely love it. It's the best thing, nice and social for you, very sociure. We have drinks on someone's lawn usually every Friday night.
Speaker 2: Very nice.
Speaker 16: And then yeah, we've been the last two weekends we all got together and watched an Eagles game and it's good for us because we're Dockers supported, so that was enjoyable. And yeah, and then the weekend before there was another birthday party. So there's often and just you know, whenever you're putting out your into you'll have a chat and good to sort of know what's going on in the neighborhood. We've all got sort of different things to share, and yeah, and just to look out for each other. And we've got each other's phone numbers and got a group chat on Facebook Messinger. Yeah it's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very nice. Nice place to bring up a family.
Speaker 24: Hey beautiful.
Speaker 14: Yes, we love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well done. And I and I have nice to bring up nice kids. Hey, Kathy, you it was really nice having a chat to you I didn't really like the Eagles thing, but I understood it. Oh sorry, yeap, Hey, I'm Kathy. Nice to talk to you. How good? How good is Kathy won double three eight eighty two. Hi, Margaret, got some advice for me? He hello, Margaret, you've got some advice for me.
Speaker 15: The other day you said you went to Bunning something for your MinC.
Speaker 2: Yes, I did. Yes, some big some big cheese. You got some big cheese traps and some big cheese sachets.
Speaker 15: If you mixed peanut paste and buy carbonated soda together, make a little walls. He put them out for the mist eat and they can't art for boop, and they smell.
Speaker 2: Up, they blow up. What do you mean, Well, well, they get all bloated, they actually physically blow up.
Speaker 15: They explode, and then it's fay bo cats eat as well.
Speaker 2: So so you're around your house, you got you got a friend, a special friend around and a mouse crawls out in front of it explodes in front of a Margaret. That's not ideal, is it? Hey? Margaret? I spoke to Shannon last yesterday. You know, she fixes things, the Queen of clean all of that, And she told me to get some snake poo because because snakes, you know, are the predator of mice and rats. But yeah, I can't. I can't get it. I round the I rang the reptile place in Henley Brook and this old bloke we have got any of that stuff made. It's the winter, so I don't know where to get it. Thanks, thanks you help Margaret exploding my exploding my, It's just what I need.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Bye see yeah, bye see bye. Marret's having a good time. Yeah, you can't get snake poop. So I rang the zoo they haven't got any. Rang the reptile house in Henley Brook. They haven't got any. This is all on the back of Shannon Lush saying you need viper poo because mice are scared of vipers because they predate upon them, you know, they eat them. I can't get it. I don't know where it is. Pedo haven't got any. Pet barn haven't got any. Might be one of those Shannon Lush specials. I don't know. Can't get shut can't get snake poo, vipa poo in w A that I can see. Hello, Alan oh cold of sex, Yeah, good mate, thank you.
Speaker 25: I can't beat it, so I've yeah, we've probably lived here over around thirty years plus. So yeah, back in the day it was probably also like sand Dune this sort of thing and all that. But it's just like growing up, you know, the kids and all that safe haven sort of thing. And now it's all grand kids in the street and all moved out. But you know they've been through the licensing and all that.
Speaker 2: But where are you.
Speaker 38: I'm in Port Kennedy, all right.
Speaker 25: Yeah, yeah, Christmas lights every year, so it's popular with people driving around and you can't get act the driveway but yeah, it's all fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well don't mate. Yeah, Port Kenley's got plenty of Colder Sex. Well Up does as well. That was mentioned by Peter earlier. Well Up's good a Christmas lights as well. Got some mates who live and well Up and they they got little kids and you know, one fan would go to the footy and the other family look after the kids. They've got their very own babysitting system in the cold de sack. Did they sean, good morning? How are you good, mate? Colder Sex?
Speaker 39: Yeah, well I'm.
Speaker 6: Currently doing in England work.
Speaker 39: But we grew up in Belladura in Shawview Terrace. My father's daughter Buss Warring in the Coulder Sack, and all the neighbors put together a basketball team used to play in Laga. Eventually, one neighbor made a bunch of complaints and the council gave us a letter to say that we had to remove the ring.
Speaker 2: But winned at number.
Speaker 39: Fifty five Shawby Terrace, and Carl Bruton was number fifty five for the Wildcat So he got ahold of.
Speaker 37: The story and came over on a basketball clinic at.
Speaker 36: Our house, which was great.
Speaker 2: Did he really?
Speaker 39: Unfortunately the basketballing didn't survive, but all the kids thought were there were superstars getting to meet that's their favorite player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very much. So what year do I think was he still playing for the Wildcats? Then?
Speaker 34: I think he'd just retired.
Speaker 39: Yeah, I think today his son was playing at the time.
Speaker 6: I think it was in ninety nine or two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cool mate, good story, Sean, Thank you mate. Yeah, the Cold de Sack, Hey, little social harbors, street parties, plenty of them. Balladura Alex Petrowski, our expert. He said that Balladura is a famous Could de Sac Venue. Four and a half minutes to midday. Thanks everyone, who's called in today, All in the running to be our caller of the day. A double pass to go and see the Terracotta Warriors, the Chinese Terracotta Warriors. They will be at Buller Bard It the WA Museum between the twenty eighth of June and February next year. And that's a ripper prize. Thanks Taz for organizing that. So ring in today, How good good? I can't wait to see that twenty eighth June through to February. One double three A eighty two is the phone number. We'll come back in just a moment. Stay listening. Have vapes won the war on vapes? The yes has already won the nose. For just a reminder, Oli Peterson has got a big couple of days coming up with the state of Origin, the King of the outside broadcast air man, Oli, So make sure you're listening, Simon viper poo. Why don't you call the WA Rep Dole Center. I did, I did? In the nice man said we ain't got any He said, I was listening to suxbr today. I thought you might call me. Haven't got any because it's winter. Brenda says, well up, definitely, it's good sign but currently no bridge over the lake. That's right. Brennan had a walk around there on the week that bridge is still not there. I'd love to hear from you today. Best mousetracks brought from Woody self baited clean death, no blood and guts a rat one works will also bonus no poisons. Therefore to feed the birds. Thank you, Bernie, thank you very much. Twelve o'clock now.
Speaker 1: Until one. This is Perth today with Simon Beaumont's on Perth six pr Ian Moss in the middle of by river.
Speaker 2: How good, Yes, no question today, which will take through until one o'clock today. Have vapes or our vapes winning the war on vapes? Have vapes won the war on vapes? Is it already over? Police Commissioner told us today he can't police it. He won't police it. It's not his job, fair enough, can't argue with cole And it's the Health Department's job to enforce the illegal sale of vapes and vaping accessories. Well, there's very little policing vapes her everywhere. They're on mind sites, they're on airport terminals when people come back from mind sits. They are dead set everywhere. And I know where to go and get them, and I reckon A lot of my mates do too. One double three eight eighty two have vapes. One of war on vapes. The guest is eighty one on the nose of four. Going to speak to James Morley in just a moment, former bass player from the Angels. James is you know, does some nice beautiful stuff with bloom as we know, but also he's a hard rocker when he wants to be, when it suits him, throws a black t shirt on and gets the Gibson out. We're going to ask him about the remake of It's a Long Way to the Top. The ac DC songs fifty years old. There's talk of remaking the video in the back of that flatbed truck. A lot of those buildings don't exist anymore. You may have heard Forty talking to Carl and Milsey about it. Today we'll talk to Jimmy Morley in just a moment. It's one of Australia's great rock and roll film clips, isn't it. So we'll ask you that question today. The great Australian rock and roll film clips, probably from the Countdown era. I reckon one double three a eighty two. We've been sent some pictures of us what it looks like a seal or a sea lion into the show just recently. We're trying to work out where it is. There's a sea lion on a female sea lion, thank you Ann, Thank you Sean, on a beach somewhere, and it looks we can sort of see some of the the parts of the Freemount of Port in the background. So we think it's been potentially between Codders Slow and Port Beach, or between Layton and the Port beach. A bit hard to tell sea lions lying on its side, you know, they do when they're tired or sick. They do wash up every now and then. There was that one up at Sorrento all those years ago, Stephen Sielberg and these are the big sea lions, the big ones. But this one on a beach at the moment, so we think possibly Port, possibly light and round cable, you know where that non existent surf break is where the artificial reef is round there. It's around there somewhere. It's a female sea lion, we believe in the photos have been sent into us. It's definitely latent, is it, yes, thank you Laighton. We found the bend sign. So the Bend signs came into being after Ben Gerins was killed by a shark down near Falcon And the Ben signs are a really good idea, aren't there The red and green signs. They've got a number on them. So if you ever get into stripe on the beach, just fund an abates. You can say I'm at CT three fifty or whatever and the ambos can get there. So we believe it is a latent beach because of the bend sign. We also believe DBC a Department of bio Diversity, Conservation and Attractions, mean to check it out and it's just resting, which they do, you know when they get tired. One double three eight two. Lots of advice on how to get rid of mice. Gary says if he brought a snake, not only would you have pooh, but possibly no mice. Thanks. It's scary. Look, I've had I've caught sixteen of them in the big cheese traps, sixteen in probably or probably sixteen days, little tiny ones. The block nearby has been cleared, so yeah, they're in the house. They've got in the house somehow. I've killed sixteen of them, and it's not good. And Margaret wants me to give them buy carbon soda and peanut butter, so they blow up and explode in front of you, which is less than ideal. Margaret, Thank you, Robin says, should give me some python poo and a shed a shed skin, which apparently rats and mice don't like, and we'll avoid. Thank you, Robin, appreciate that. One double three eight eighty two. Do you think the vapes have won the war on vapes? Jacko of Burswood says no, the war is only just beginning. We'll fight them in the shopping walls, on the wharfs, and if you're less much other than John, Michael Howsen will take them off you, says Jacko. Jack. I didn't completely understand all of that, but think thanks for listening. In It's past twelve, so I guess it's time to have a cooking sherry. Hey, mate, One double three A two is the phone number today. A Quantus trainee captain who was commanding a flight from Canberra passed out briefly. I think this is his first day on the job. Passed out briefly in the cockpit of a buying seven three seven, So he landed at Sydney Airport and then he passed out. This is last Tuesday, QF eighth four, one hundred and thirteen passengers and eight crew crowding three pilots. So the trainee captain suffered what's been described as an incapacitation. After the clane landded and clear of the runway. Trainee captain, first day on the job, plane lands, he passes out, has an incapacitation. What happened to you on the first day of work? He has something like that happened to you on the first day of you're of a new job. One double three ay two's the phone number. First st I worked for a radio station. This was on a missap. This was amazing. A fellow was killed by a shark at north Cottislow. It was incredible.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 2: I always feel sad when that anniverse comes around for the family. They have to relive it, and there's often media articles about it. But that was my first day at work and it was extraordinary and it started that space of great white shark attacks that we saw through West Australia. The first one back in two thousand and one. That's my first day. What happen to you in your first day of work? One double three ay two is the phone number. Love to hear from you. Ring in one double three eight atty two and you could win a double past the owned see the Chinese Terracotta Warriors when they're at the museum the from June right through to February of this year. Given the fact you said you had a rodent free Max, that's not a very good vertisement for them if you've got a heap of mice. Just saying Damien, it does work the Max, but they've moved. They've moved to another part of the house, so I might need more than one good.
Speaker 20: A Darren, mister Beaumont, first time call, a long time listener. Yes, I had a missap on my first day at work. I was fifteen and I was a roof tiler, so I sold screw the roof on my first day and my boss said come on, hurry up, as my legs were dangling down the rafters.
Speaker 27: Hurry up, Yeah, hurry up.
Speaker 20: Then days, then days you are allowed to say hurry up if you hurt yourself.
Speaker 2: It's not where you're supportive, is it. Hey? Darren, what do you I've never asked you this. What do you do now? You're not a roof tiler? Stay?
Speaker 20: No, I can't do that anymore because everything hurts. I'm I'm a building supervisor. Yeah, I've been doing that for twenty years.
Speaker 2: You've been nearly every day you've been at work. You've won a polo shirt, haven't you.
Speaker 15: Ah?
Speaker 20: Actually, yes, you are correct.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Thanks dads, good on your mate. Thank you. Dazz has moved to laughing at his own material, which is which is a nice development for him. Fourteen and a half minutes past midday, going to be to James Morley in just a moment. He has been in the tribute band Bond, but not forgotten so he likes He's ACD the Melbourne City Council of Keen to recreate the ACDC music video long Way to the Top or the film clip as we used to call it on the back of the truck with Bond and the bag type bagpipes. There's a countdown video made fifty years ago. And I think I think it was Swanson straight that Jimmy Morley would join us in just a sec our question to you is the great rock and roll the Australian rock and roll videos film clips. Quarter past twelve, trainee quantas pilot has landed a plane with a couple of other captains on board, and it has promptly blacked out. So everyone's saved one hundred and thirteen passages on board. But not a great first day at work? What's happened at your first day at work? Or school day?
Speaker 34: Rob got up?
Speaker 2: They made what happened.
Speaker 40: First at school? High school? The metalwork teacher told us not to put got turn the machine off, and don't put the bagnets down, and he put them down straight up and lost all his fingers straight up up. No, he is about the whole all his fingers. Yeah, and he's calmly put his hands up in front of us and said, I'm off to the nurse. So we're all the girls are crying and god, man, first period of metal work?
Speaker 2: What's what?
Speaker 6: First period?
Speaker 2: What school?
Speaker 3: Was that?
Speaker 2: Canting?
Speaker 41: Oh?
Speaker 2: Man? So all fingers on one hand.
Speaker 40: Or the fingers or both hands. He kept his thumbs but lost his fingers.
Speaker 34: Hands.
Speaker 2: When was this like them? Sixteen nineteen?
Speaker 34: I think it was ninety eight.
Speaker 40: I can't even tell you now. Nineteen eighty four, I think I think somewhere around there.
Speaker 2: Did he ever come back to work?
Speaker 40: I never saw it. I think they banned the Magnat machines after that. He actually turended off at the machine. But it was actually a foldy switching machine.
Speaker 41: I think that's what happened.
Speaker 40: Oh no, it wasn't his soult.
Speaker 2: Oh well, that's that's terrible catastrophic. Thanks mate. I think I don't know what a magnet machine is either. A twenty minutes past twelve sounds like you shouldn't have them at schools. Did a mark?
Speaker 6: Hey both?
Speaker 36: Yeah, Mike. It was actually my second day so, and it was also my last day working for a company that sold appliances. They're longer one bust. And it was a franchise arrangement, and I went to day two. I went to a national meeting and had to break up a fight between the franchise and the franchise.
Speaker 2: Alls nice.
Speaker 36: That was day two and I thought, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not hanging around.
Speaker 41: That was it?
Speaker 2: No who won the who won the fight?
Speaker 36: It let's call it a draw. But it was for long?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 27: Wow?
Speaker 2: And that was it? What do you do? How long?
Speaker 27: Befo?
Speaker 2: We got another job.
Speaker 14: Week?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 34: Problem?
Speaker 2: Cheers mate, thank you. Second day at we're breaking up a fight between the franchisee and the franchise chise. It's twenty one minutes past twelve o'clock. Remember this.
Speaker 32: Here, it is.
Speaker 2: Cracking song, fifty years old. Great video. That's what we're talking about today. I think we used to call the film clips back in the day. Saw it on Countdown ac DC. On the back of the flatbed truck heading through Melbourne, Bond Scott with the bagpipes, people walking along side the truck on the side of the road. James Morley heavy Judy Museo bass player, guitarist, singer, songwriter joins me. Now, gooday, James, morning mate. How you doing going well? You've played that song a few times, haven't you? In your various iterations so or three? Good song, A good song in it?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It goes all right, don't it does? Does go well? Is it your favorite ac DC film clip?
Speaker 39: My favorite?
Speaker 12: This is a film clip? Oh blimy. I don't know. It's like all of them.
Speaker 34: I can't pick one.
Speaker 12: A lot of my children.
Speaker 2: I like jail Break Jimmy with the you know he made it out with a bull of his back and one of the couple of young boys get shot. I think ostensibly that's a good one. Thunder strikes a good video.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's right. I do a lot of the jail Breake ones for a classic. It's so naff looking back at it. But back then it would have been like high tech stuff, you know, all the bombs going off in the quarry and all that.
Speaker 2: That's right. I forgot about the bombs. It was a bit hokey that era, James, the Countdown era, we sort of as kids grew up watching it and they were just yeah, they were some of those videos, but they were they were so bad. They were good, weren't they.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's the thing. It's a bit like a trainer, you know, you can't pull yourself and look it away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, James. I wonder how they'll do it. I mean, you've bet you've been around music production, recording and video production as well. I wonder how they'll do it. I wonder if they'll try to, you know, different singer, older blokes now. I wonder they'll try to recreate the vibe. I wonder how they'll try and do it.
Speaker 20: I'm not so sure.
Speaker 12: I mean, back in those days, I think it didn't it cost them like a thousand thousand bucks or something to make that clip back in the day, and it wasn't it wasn't much to it. But I think these days, you know, with that many Akadaka fans floating around, I'm not sure the bars get away with getting through the middle of Melbourne with gridlock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good point, But I mean in terms of.
Speaker 12: The song itself, I mean, the band has never performed live since Bonder, and I think they only did it on a few occasions with Bond back the early days anyway, So Brian sort of sees that song as Bond's big, big moment with the band. It was kind of that song that really propelled them at the end of the day. So yeah, I'm not sure what's going to go on with this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know. I'd heard three hundred and eighty bucks for the video production in total, and I think the Countdown guys did it right. So I mean, it's it's an absolute classic. That's interesting that Brian Johnson so he essentially retired it, did he.
Speaker 12: Yeah, well, I said that they tried a couple of times live back in the seventies. According to Mark evans Zell, bass player but Bond wasn't really much of a big pipe player anyway, I'm not sure would have sounded any good, but I did. Actually I went to sound check. I think it was the ninety five ball Breaker tour and they were playing at the Bearswood Dome and I went to sound check and they were actually running the song because they were thinking about playing it at the show. And I remember Brian was looking for our old mate Scheena, the singer from the Poor He was skinny, skinny, I need the words, I need the words for the long the top song. And they ran a sound check where they didn't actually end up doing it at the show. So a so far I'm was aware of that.
Speaker 2: It's probably about the only time, Yeah, as close as I ever got, just in an inner sound check talking about James Morley, local gun muso and has played that song many times in various tribute bands and cover bands and all of that. This is give us a call today, your favorite, given that video and given the topic of choice today, what's your favorite sort of Australian rock videos from the Countdown era? That was a beauty. There were plenty of them, and some of them were in the Countdown studio. Weren't they James and that always had They always looked to always look the same. But some of the some of the actual as we call them, film clicks back in the day, still hold up a right, I reckon, mate, what are you up to? What's next? What's blow them up to.
Speaker 12: Blue? We're about to head off to Sydney tomorrow. We're doing a bunch of shows with our Fleetwood Mac show.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 12: But she's got planned and yeah, got a few little overseas trips and all that sort of stuff happening with the band as well. So yeah, lots of things on the horizon at the moment. So today's my lay on a couch day and then tomorrow we'll hit it right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right mate, Well, good luck break a leg. I know lots of people that know you guys from cruise ships and know her from cruise ships. She says a bit of that, doesn't she.
Speaker 20: Yeah, we did.
Speaker 12: About three or four last year and they're actually a lot of fun. You don't get to play that much. I think you play about two hours in total for over a week, and the rest of the time we just sigure out and the buffet try and all the different foods, so I put it on.
Speaker 41: A count.
Speaker 30: Yeah yeah, no world.
Speaker 2: Hey mate, thanks for picking up the phone today and we'll get our listeners to ring in with their favorite Australian film clips from back in the day. Good on your mate, give a cuddle for me and we'll see you around. Hey, all the best mate, See mate. James Morley was in the Angels for All, played bass in the Angels and there's a heavy rocker when he needs to be. One double three eighty two is the phone number. Love to hear from you today. Those great music videos, the Australian music videos that was That was the quintessential one, wasn't it. Jail Break by ac DC was good and funny so bad it was good as well, you know, rifles, sirens, they were chasing. He made it out with the bullet in his back, all of that great Australian rock music, film clips and videos. Love to hear from you today, Are we okay? Max? To have a chat to our man Bruce. Bruce is remote from us today. He's gearing up for the big Oliver Peterson OB twenty seven and a half minutes past midday, phone lines were open One double three eight two the great Australian rock videos. Love to hear from You.
Speaker 42: Got a breakdown on Armadale Road eastbound at Solomon Road in jandercont The left hand lane is closed by the incident response. No traffic delays, just keeping in mind if you're hitting that way. Also Emdency Road works on south the Western Highway southbound at Third Road in Mount rhiannon left hand lane closed with Western Power on side. Apart from that though, no delays on the Mitchell Guanana Graham Farmer Northbridge Tunnel in the CBD or the Metro. I'm Bruce Willshan, Perth's traffic Leader six PR.
Speaker 2: The Melbourne City Council are looking to reboot, reheat, rehash the classic ac DC film clip from back or from fifty years ago. It's a long way to the top on the back of a flatbed truck. So will the boys be up for it? There are older fellows these days. Will Brian Johnson want to do it? We'll angus want to do it. So we're chasing your thoughts today. Song classic Australian rock songs, the videos. We're after the videos if we can. It's a twenty eight and a half minutes to one o'clock. Let's take pause. Let's go to our newsroom. John Nichols, Good afternoon.
Speaker 43: Hey, here's Simon. Good afternoon. The state go government has announced Thursday's budget will include twenty four million dollars for new hospital beds in the Northern suburbs. Sixty new beds will fill the remaining empty floors of the new K Block at journal Up Health Campus, bringing the building's capacity to just over one hundred. A seventeen year old boy has died after his car collided with a truck in the Midwest. Police say he was driving on Brand Highway about fifty kilometers south of Geraldon when it's Toyota Corolla collided with a truck about half past three yesterday afternoon. Lake Munger is now known as carl Up, its original Wadjak nunga name that means place where the home fires burn. The town of Vincent says the final endorsement required to implement the change has been received from the Geographic Names Committee. There was going to be a five year transition period for the new name, but after community consultation, the vibe was no, don't worry about it, so they're changing it now. Yeah, no, exactly Betteran Dockers Michael Walters and Jageromr are likely to make their football returns this weekend. Coach just Alongma says he hopes to see them both line up in the Waffle. Still know Alex Pearce for this Thursday's match against Essendon. He needs at least another week to get over a shin injury. Eighteen degrees at the airport showers increasing today down to twelve overnight showers and twenty one tomorrow.
Speaker 40: More news at one.
Speaker 2: Thanks John, Do you have a classic Australian rock film clip that you liked?
Speaker 43: I always used to like watching Metal as Anything's video efforts, and I particularly enjoyed Berserk Warriors, the one about Abba you.
Speaker 2: Got that somat Thank you, John, very very good. Here we Go Again is very happy mutilation, stray song, mutilation, jubilation, and it's about a lovely weird set of blokes as a collective. Martin Plaza. What did Regiemond Bassa say? Were they? Mombass is my original family name. The rest of my family will change their names. What's what's his original names? It will come to me It's Donahue, could be thinks Donahue something like that. Thank you, John, very very good choice. Berserk Warriors by Mental as Anything. A great film clip, a song about a good work John Ben gooday.
Speaker 38: Yeah mate, rest of my family wish I have adopted.
Speaker 32: Sorry all good mate.
Speaker 38: This song's around about eighty one. I think I love the paranoia in the clip. There was men at work who could have been now. I used to have a lot of mates were big fans of the Late night dropping and yeah, I could relate related a lot to this clip. So yeah, it was a beauty.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was. And Colin Hayes look and his eyes were perfect for this song. With him, we had the those opposing the opposite ends of the eyeball spectrum thing going on?
Speaker 25: How's that going?
Speaker 38: Without the mates dropping in?
Speaker 2: Here has been? Yeah? What a song? What a song George and the Dragons have on Sunday Session. How good knocking sound? What I'm being?
Speaker 27: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Good video. We're after the classic Australian videos. Melbourne City Council are considering rebooting, rehashing, remaking. It's a long way to the top. On the back of the flatbed truck.
Speaker 7: Get a Troy, Hey, Samon Montelle, are you sir?
Speaker 2: Good Troy, how are you.
Speaker 7: Hey your Friday mate Murphy. Do you think he'll be able to find that new place he's got to.
Speaker 34: Go to now?
Speaker 2: You never know, you know, hope, Hope springs eternal with Murphy usually usually usually on time and on budget, and those.
Speaker 7: Chairs as well. You were talking about.
Speaker 3: Memory, doesn't it does Troy?
Speaker 28: Mine is.
Speaker 15: Jimmy Man.
Speaker 7: Yes, and he's I would looking remembering the video clip Simon. I was in a I reckon was in front of he was singing in front of a steel words fairness and I would classic as his very own personal sauna, and I reckon it would have been bloody heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I do remember flames in it. Mate. I thought it was a cane field, but maybe it was a maybe it was. I could be wrong. I'll have a look. I'll have a look while we're playing it.
Speaker 7: It's still bloody art Yes man by Jimmy Varn. Thanks so many.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thanks Troy, Troy from Collie.
Speaker 22: Matts.
Speaker 2: Can you see the video there? I can try and find it for you. No, that's all right, that's we're just trying to because we are talking about the videos today, the film clips, as we used to call them. There was Flames that plenty, wasn't that Troy, Thank you, Hello, Melanie, Hi Simon.
Speaker 24: Not so much video clips, but Russell Markay's extravagant ones back in the early agies. They were pretty cool, but not on that topic. Having James one was nice to hear James and just made me think of I went to Woolies in swan View last week and over their store radio they were playing the Angels song Am I ever going to see Your Face again? And as an original Boga girl, I've got to say I'm very disappointed in the swan View locals. They were along happening in the store.
Speaker 2: No rejoinders, no that yeah, I would be. I don't think when the Angels put that together, I don't think they ever thought that it would be played in the Woolies.
Speaker 24: Well I suppose that's the the age we're at now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't know you from Boga. Yeah originally bloody good on you. Where do you live now?
Speaker 15: Now?
Speaker 24: I'm in Bullsbrook.
Speaker 2: Oh fancy just as bog but country Bogan. Thanks Milany, thank you, Melanie, very very good.
Speaker 41: Here it is.
Speaker 21: Thanks.
Speaker 2: It's a song about heartbreak. It's a lament with rejoinders. Thanks Mel, good on you. I remember this one, Gary, how are you.
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 41: Simon? I think it's Max, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah Max. This is Gary Gary Max.
Speaker 34: Hello, God, Hey my ones? Yeah tied Moray Gang from the Wonderful Out the Production Company clip. I remember.
Speaker 25: I'm pretty sure it's a countdown right.
Speaker 38: They're on a barge in front of the opera house, so they'll be magnifs. Anyway, no crosses to this young hitch trying to get in the car, because that's.
Speaker 34: A classic song. Dinglish doesn't start that.
Speaker 25: That's giving Thanks mate, that's a jolly good day.
Speaker 2: Thanks Gary. Yeah, no spoilers, but get out of my Car eighty miles or something was the Gary get out of my Car. Seed Murray another one of those English artists who did really well in Australia, John Paul Young and John English, all the Pommy Boys from ac DC or the Scottish Boys. A lot of Pomi artists went really well in Australia, didn't they because of Countdown? Thanks Gary, Jump in my car.
Speaker 17: I want to take.
Speaker 1: Jump in my car. It's a battle walk on your own.
Speaker 2: Come on, no, thank you sir. The boys doing female backing vocals there. Thanks gas very good at nomination.
Speaker 27: Get a todd they Bowie.
Speaker 41: Yeah nothing, no better country Bogan than Cawgooley mate, the Blue Sky Mining we got all song.
Speaker 28: It was there that day.
Speaker 41: They actually came and had some beers in our pub after after they did some filming. It was bloody hot. It was north of forty degrees. Yeah, right, so and the Fibergade, the Fibergade played them fire the posers into the air to get the rain when the rain came down.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, in the end the rain comes down.
Speaker 41: Yeah, that was the Fibergade, our mates, that the Fibergade and Cawgary did that, and and look it was you know, it was a great moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a good song. And I know you know, I mean they obviously wouldn't been able to go to Whitney home Mamatee would have bellowd in the in the place back then, I suppose it would have closed town. But that's a cool story, mate. So what what mine did they use that all those sort of backdrops with the tailings in the background. Where was that?
Speaker 41: Yeah, well there's I mean back then this is early nineties Calgoli, yep, so there was there was still plenty of old sort of structures around the joint that they would have been able to get in and around. They're all gone. Now it's a big hole on the ground thanks to Alan Bond.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big super pit, isn't it, The big super pit.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They swallowed up the pub, did one of the pubs, didn't it?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 41: The bolder block, which was a ripper, you know it was. They pulled it down brick by brick and the it was always the story was that they were going to rebuild it somewhere, but that was never going to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do remember that. I remember going there once. So I did a Hash House Harriers run in Cawgooley Toler and we ran about four meters and yeah, we probably.
Speaker 41: Came into our pub because we our pub was a regular stop off for the Hash House Harriers.
Speaker 2: He probably did. Yeah, probably served you, Bud, Yeah, he probably did, Matey. Thanks for the memory. Thanksus. So that's great story. I didn't realize Blue Sky min Mining was filmed in in cal rip A yarn. Mate. Thanks Todd, have a good day. Thanks for ring this not all, but thank you cheers. Mate. Here we go, Skye Bye sky.
Speaker 1: The start Harpers Black to the shareholders.
Speaker 2: How good it's Blue Sky Mining filming cow Hello Chantell, Hello Bowie, how are you going very well? Thank you?
Speaker 13: That's good.
Speaker 44: My nomination is solid Rock by Gowenna.
Speaker 2: What's good about the video? Remind me?
Speaker 44: To be honest, I don't really remember the video. I just remember the song and probably I can credit it to my passion hearing it when I was younger, and yeah, yeah, Brifally looks at the video clip.
Speaker 2: Chantel, you don't like you. You run a video segment and you can't remember it. Jes funny, chentil good see all the very best. Here we go. Chantelle is not following instructions today, but that's okay. We're after the great Australian videos, video clips. What do we used to call them? Film clips? Music? Film clips is what we used to call them back in the day, didn't we. Conor McGovern joins us now from Forest Place. He's been at the State of Origin function. Hollo, Connor, how are you.
Speaker 6: Mateod morning Simon. It's all afternoon now, I believe. But there's plenty of plenty of people coming down to see the Blues in the Marines in Forest Place, all.
Speaker 2: Right, that's it's your game. Is it right? You're a rugby league, won't you? That's your code?
Speaker 41: Man.
Speaker 6: I love all sports, to be honest, mate, I love I love West Coast it's top right now. But I do love my rugby league. I love my rugby union, I love my cricket. You name it, mate, I'm feel like I'm in the same bat. It's plenty of West of these weeks.
Speaker 2: Don't take funny love watching sport. Don't take this the wrong way. Is one broadcast, it's another. But you've pulled on a bit of a rugby league voice.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm probably said. I don't know. I don't know whether it's taking as a compliment or not.
Speaker 2: Luck, it's still there. I love me rugby league. Hey mate, is it dry down there? And what's tell us who the captains are and what they have to say?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's dry at the moment, but apparently it's not going to be staying that way for very long. I think we're going to get a fair bit of a rain tonight and anywhere between about sixteen and thirty MILS, so I don't know how opt to stay. Hem is going to be able to cope. I think there's about four or five games this week, between two Aussie Rules, two AFL games and two NRL games. It's going to be putting it under a fair bit of stress. But as you said, we're down here. The captains are coming in shortly, so we've got isaiaho and Nathan Cleary from the Blues as well as the coaches Billy Slater for Queensland and Cam Munster for the Marines. And I think again they're going to be right beside each other, which is actually it almost seems like a bit of a boxing bout. So we'll wait to see what they have to say, but we know that the game's on the line for Queensland here, so expecting them to come out pretty pretty harshly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think so. W Given Slater's you know, he's elite before elite player has been an elite coach, you think he's going to turn it around. Great to have a live fixture too, mate, isn't it not have the dead Rubbo? This is good?
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly right. This is and people are turning out for it. West Elsis are turning out for it, and people are also flying over for it. To a couple of brothers from Brisbane. They were in sequin dresses, so you'll be able to see that tonight and see why they're wearing that. But also spoke to a Keywek girl yesterday who flew over from from Auckland, spent eight hours and five grand getting her a daughter and her mother over here just so she can watch this, as you said, this live game. So it's it's all on the line for Queensland and if New South Wales win tomorrow it's they wrapped the series up. So Billy Slater, I think he probably got out coached a little bit in that first game. I think it'd be fair to say so again. Hopefully he's got a few things up his sleeve this time. It'll make for a firecracker event tomorrow night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. He's Hale is a Latrell playing.
Speaker 6: Latrell will be there. He was down at training this morning, so the Blues had their first run on up to stadium this morning. Honestly, seeing Latrell Mitchell up close and personal is a sight to behold. I'm a pretty tall bloke, but he's as tall as me. But he's just absolutely built like a I don't want to say a brick something a.
Speaker 2: Brecka blution block. Yeah, he's a massive, isn't he? And and can win a game and he's I was reading somewhere Connor. He hasn't done any media this year for South Sydney or for New South Wales. So he's letting his letting his feet do the talking or reckond. Hey Connor, good good to talk and I look forward to hearing you back with your your political voice next time we chat.
Speaker 6: I'd switched between the.
Speaker 2: Thanks he did he turned into a rugby league player. The didn't he? Conor McGovern what I rip out? He's in forest place and look it wouldn't have gone. We've got Mark Levy in the building today. Mart Levy over from from Sydney and he said to me, how come there's no rugby league in the paper? Here's none? You got a State of Origin match and the zero column sent to me he's in the paper. I said, why do you reckon?
Speaker 42: Mate?
Speaker 2: Why do you reckon? That is marking me all being. We'll come back in a seconds. Eleven minutes to one o'clock. You're asking you the listeners for your favorite Australian film clip. It's about videos today or film video film quips from Back in the Day, Melbourne City councilor considering rehashing, rebooting, reheating The Long Way to the Top film blit by ac DC Ilo Re Peterson is at the Crown Sports Bar joins us now to preview the show today.
Speaker 27: Ali hiddo, Bowie, I'm about twelve pints deep.
Speaker 15: No, you.
Speaker 27: Don't worry about that. Never have a ber when you're on here, don't worry.
Speaker 14: I just thought i'd tell you because I'm looking at the Crown Sports Bar there it looks rather inviting. And always drink responsibly and if you do come down, you can get a drinks about you from Taz. Say go today you could win yourself a two nights day here at the Crown Metropol or even win yourself some State of Origin tickets.
Speaker 2: But tomorrow night, Bowie, gee, you get all the prizes, don't you. Boss's favorite bloke, So each is pat I'll.
Speaker 20: Tell you what.
Speaker 14: And the lineup this afternoon, Andrew John's, Bill gul Paul Gallon, malm Ninger, They're all coming down here to the Crown Sports but Habit Chat and they'll be live on six PR throughout the end afternoon unbelievable.
Speaker 2: You've done well, mate, You and the production team done well. That's a that's a great line up from one till five. So people can just turn up you set up in the corner, have a chat. They can hear you, they can see you, come up and give you a care.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, correct, absolutely do all of that and more so. We're down here at the Crown Sports Bar. Come and say, good ay, it won't just be will the Wall Rugby League, don't worry about that, will be covering a lot of the news of the day. And we'll even trying it over to Calgary at one stage, where Michael Paki, our national political editor, finds himself. Now without Donald Trump, of course, he's flowing back to Washington. So what's Elbow going to do tomorrow?
Speaker 25: He was going to talk to Trump.
Speaker 27: Well, anybody else want to have a chat to him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well I'm going to let you know legit reason, I guess for mister Trump to leave to the address the Middle East issue. But yeah, that's a shame. We needed that chat on the Tariff's no doubt, HEYLI. I'll be listening the cyber mate, go well, break a leg, get on your boy, see mate, Olli Peterson at the Crown Sports Bar. Goody Allen, hey go, I'm and how are you good? Mate?
Speaker 41: Yeah?
Speaker 25: And if the skyhooks. I used to like watching horror moving and all that sort of stuff through the film clip. But what I was ringing about that lady earlier on and spoke about the angels, I'm ever going to see your face again?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 25: Did you know it wasn't their song?
Speaker 15: Oh?
Speaker 2: I did not it?
Speaker 25: Yeah, if you if you listened, because I was listening to Spotify a few weeks ago and I thought, now what should I put on?
Speaker 41: And thought, oh, I listened to a bit.
Speaker 25: Of status quote and then you pick an album sort of thing, and the thought, oh, yeah, I used to play in the band a long time ago. We hued to play a bit of quote for well, I'll put up the quote. Album itself is self titled, and it was like an extended version. And after the normal song's finished, this song came on called Lonely Nights. Straight away, I thought that is so familiar, and bang, I googled it and yeah, sure enough it's the same song.
Speaker 2: And what's it's called Lonely Nights? Lonely Nights yep, Lonely Nights from.
Speaker 25: My status Quo of the album, but the extended once, not in the one I've got. But yeah, so on Google I read it and sure enough, Alan Lancaster was out of the bass player out of Status Quo. Was good friends with the Bruce Brothers from the Angels and he played formed with the Brewsters Party Boys and yeah, so they were kind of like mates. So they didn't sue him, but they they get royalties from the Angels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never heard that.
Speaker 25: Yeah, it's like an answer to Australian music.
Speaker 2: And it's like, yeah, no way, yeah, well yeah, just looking at just looking on my phone. Status Quo subsequently received rorty for the song, So spot on, mate, I had no idea. Thanks allan, cheers mate.
Speaker 25: But yeah, play for the listeners would be good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, thanks mate. We've played a bit of it already. Lonely Night by Status Quo.
Speaker 27: Steve Good Steve, this is going to be a weird one for you or painters and dockers are all going to nude school.
Speaker 2: What was it was the video? I remember seeing him live and they used to get the kid off. Did they the same in the video.
Speaker 36: It's flame in the video.
Speaker 41: I still remember the drummer. You can say he's They kept on going to his backside, but they had a strategically positioned instruments.
Speaker 2: They did see and Steve from memory. They had a fire eader on stage, so there were no naked and there was a bloke with a breathing fire on stage as well, which is I don't think, yeah, those those two contents shouldn't really mix it. I think we're all cheers, mate, We're all going to nude school pans and dockers. They're all happy at nuds sorry at the Old Melbourne. Quite a night. Three and a half minutes to one o'clock. Back in a second, Yes, no, Poul, Have vapes won the War on vapes? Ninety three yeses and six nos. Tomorrow we call the the day Today is Rob. Thanks Rob Tomorrow. On the show, Basil's Simpless, Leo Sayer and so