Speaker 1: Helloever, I'm welcome the Footy classified. What a big wig it's been in footy. What a big duck it's all been happening, and we're going to get stuck.
Speaker 2: Into a few moments time.
Speaker 1: Of course, the big news out of the tribunal tonight on Alex Pearce will go to Tom Morrison a second, we'll say, first, go Tom good it's a big dave. We've got a few things to get through. There was a president's meeting last night. The Commission continues to be under fire the Chief Commissioner. Certainly the A f l p A have come out today and had to whack it to certain luminaries.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll talk about it later, we'll get into it. But absolutely, yeah, definitely, I'm Carlton alaide.
Speaker 4: What's on the agenda?
Speaker 2: S all right, we'll get into that. How are Rory welcome?
Speaker 1: Rory Sloane is with us and James h joining us tonight, you know who. Let's get stuck into the action straight away. So first off, before we go to the tribunal, you're going to beat the tribunal that's going to revolutionize the game by talking about Ken Hinckley.
Speaker 2: You've got some fresh male out of Adelaide.
Speaker 4: Yah, I do, Eddie.
Speaker 3: What I can tell you tonight is that Ken Hinckley will walk away from Port Adelaide if and when he believes the club is out of contention. Now Port and Ken are perfectly aligned on this. They're very pragmatic about his future. Port aren't going to walk in and sack Ken Hinckley halfway over the year. They're going to let Ken make the call if and when it does get to that stage, and if it does, they'll do it with dignity and they'll do it the right way.
Speaker 4: Now we're not there yet, but it could be a matter of weeks away.
Speaker 5: So what's changed? Why has it changed? Parlaments is a performance space? Is that it or he's had enough for the situation or the pressure from the media.
Speaker 3: And I think the reality of the situation has dawned on Ken and people close to him that Port might not contend and might not win a flag this year. So while it's still mathematically a chance, he'll keep coaching, but until that happens, we could see a change.
Speaker 1: The first time this has happened by Bob Rose did it for Lee Matthews at Collingwood. Just look at the ladder though, so port Adelaide fifteenth if two games and massive whack of percentage out, so they're basically three games outside at the moment.
Speaker 2: How long's when?
Speaker 6: Well, it's more concerning how players are finishing the game. Their second halves of footy have been deplorable at the moment, and heard you, I notice this If the club is aligned with Ken, and Ken's aligned too, is this shackles off for the players and they can like a sigh of relief and get back to playing some really quality on top of the ground sort of footy.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure why you wouldn't be playing your best footy anyway. I think if you want to be playing your best footy, there might be a there might be a bump, if you know, if Ken goes and Cars in there. But what I would worry about is for Car whether that's the right time for it to happen. I mean the moment he's got cover, He's got cover while Ken's there, the performance he can go while he's gone, But I have bad performances. What the supporters want is they want instantaneous success, which they might not come.
Speaker 3: So Ken will do what's right for the club. So if he believes that it's another four to six weeks or eight weeks or whereever it is, he'll day. But I'm now filmly the belief that he's made up his mind that as soon as it's not right, he'll walk away.
Speaker 4: He's not going to push on for the same.
Speaker 1: They're going to buy this week and then they played jud in Western Sydney, so.
Speaker 5: It's a mistake what happened started, So they've just gone with Josh Carr or it's actually worked out. Okay.
Speaker 3: My personal opinion is I've got no issue with port Adelaide going to the succession plan and having a crack with Ken, but as soon as it's mathematically done, they need to cut ties and allowed Josh car to take over, So I don't have an issue with what they've done.
Speaker 5: So you think she would let to take over from Bang straight away.
Speaker 3: Josh, Well, there's actually a precident in Leon Cameron. He left the Giants after round seven. Round eight allowed the Giants to reset and go again the next year.
Speaker 5: Martin Vay wasn't coaching straight away. I mean they went and gott but.
Speaker 4: It still allows the cup to breathe and go again.
Speaker 6: Well, what they've got to do is treat him with respect because he's been so good fat club for twelve years.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and that's the most important thing.
Speaker 2: How strong is that mail strong? Right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's move on. Big night of the Tribune. Alex Pierce has.
Speaker 4: He's been cleared. He'll play the next He'll play the next game.
Speaker 2: Three weeks, three cheers for football, hit.
Speaker 6: Common sense, he's common again. Finally, that is a huge win.
Speaker 4: So Fremantle argued that this wasn't careless, that he didn't.
Speaker 3: Breach his duty of care, and the AFEL tribunal agreed tonight, so he's free to play this weekend and Fremantle were hopeful.
Speaker 4: And expected this will be the case.
Speaker 3: My understanding of the situation is that it would have acted like a precedent had this been upheld. In the end, the m RO gave him three weeks and the tribunal said no, no, that's not worth three weeks.
Speaker 4: He can play.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: We mentioned this last week last year when Peter Wright got rubbed down for four weeks at Essendon about the player coming with the ball. Can we just roll the barress, I've got Peter right, Let's have a better right. First, so this is what happened last year. So he's running basically.
Speaker 2: The same situation. He gets four weeks and a change.
Speaker 4: It's a bit different.
Speaker 3: Second, the key difference is Peter Wright braced, whereas Alex Pearce just ran into the contest and almost exposed himself.
Speaker 1: So by doing that, you're exposing yourself to getting cleaned up yourself. But rule number one in the lone you must protect yourself first. If I protect myself, then you protect yourself going for the ball, we're protecting each other. That's my worry at the moment, as people are getting left wide open.
Speaker 2: Can we roll the bar tom Bress vision.
Speaker 1: So this is another situation where Tom Brass in the old days would have been flayed for looking like he pulled out of the concest. There he realized that all he was going to do was give away a front on free kick, maybe get reported and covered himself up so didn't get hurt. Now, you know, it's amazing that that has now become the right thing.
Speaker 5: To do, isn't it? It is, and it is certainly changed in the way players look at football. Because you don't want to hurt someone else. You don't want to hurt yourself. You don't want to get suspended. But I think that the days of the nick rewot mark flying back with the fight of the ball are almost dead and gone.
Speaker 6: Well, there's a way to teach this too, like Baras can actually go up there with the right technique.
Speaker 7: And I know you're big on this too.
Speaker 5: There is the hook mark.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the hook mark we called a hook mark where you can come in from the side in the shape of a hook and you jump up with that knee right up there to actually protect yourself ed because that's your first rules. Need to practice that more so than ever, and not just running blindly to a contest.
Speaker 5: Fundamentals are still the most important thing when you're teaching players how to play football. A lot of players, when they go for the ball and do get caught out, aren't perfecting their fundamentals. Not the not the one there, but to fundamentals. If you don't do it properly, you'll hurt someone, will hurt yourself and get reported.
Speaker 1: Okay, but is there no, there's no shame now in players going front and the square as opposed.
Speaker 5: To it depends what it is, It depends which year is when he's watching.
Speaker 2: It's got your head smashed in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, probably not the smartest moment of my career, but that was what you're taught to do. You could not if you go back to the flight of the ball in my day for a now day and you pulled out, you went every TV show you shall be for good.
Speaker 1: Well that's what happened though, And of course Robert Wolves was the one who really went hard on players and Line again ends up losing a kidney two a week later after he got stuck to the John player pulling out of a contest allegedly.
Speaker 2: But you have a look at it, you know.
Speaker 1: Lee Matthews talks about he used to be able to judge it that if it wasn't quite going to get there, he'd get under the pair front square.
Speaker 5: He put a couple of short steps in. I don't mean the bad way shorts you judge it.
Speaker 2: Min Juriye did massacre a feeld bravely.
Speaker 6: Darcy burn Jones is one of the most courageous players that Port has and he just opened himself up and he'd be regretting.
Speaker 2: That much should we have that.
Speaker 1: Just as you're into a roundabout intersection, there is a rule you got to give one to the right. In that situation, should it be the onus on the player running with the flight of the ball as opposed to player coming at the ball, Who has to give it?
Speaker 5: How do you know if you're if you're ultimately running with the flight of the ball, the eyes and the ball, you don't know what's coming into you. I think it's very It's much harder to know when you're running with the flight of ball than if you're running against the flight of the ball and you can see what's in.
Speaker 4: Front of it.
Speaker 1: So in that situation, we are content that both players had eyes for the ball and they had a collision. That is part of the game of football in wet conditions where the ball drops a bit shorter, and at the end of the day, there was no malice involved, and in fact the buzzwords of the day duty of care was taken into account by both players.
Speaker 2: Clear to player, you're happy with that.
Speaker 5: Well, I think why we're so happy with that is it goes to show the AFIL is just not stamping out the result. You're actually allowed to have a collision and it's not what there's Well, it happens. You can keep you can keep collisions in the game as long as they're fair.
Speaker 1: Because I know you're ready to go on this one, right, We're going to show where the situation had happened with Liam Baker who didn't get rubbed out.
Speaker 4: You've got serious misconduct.
Speaker 3: Sorry, you got misconduct, fine for this, not serious misconduct for that. On James Petling, Rory, what are your thoughts on that incident and the fact that he didn't miss a week for that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, Lamb's a tough, hard player and clearly his frustrations and emotions are boiled over here. But I mean James Peteling is not even looking he's defenseless. That's in the like in in the back of his neck where you can cause some serious damage.
Speaker 7: That had to be weak. That is something we in the game.
Speaker 5: If I did that to you on the street, what would happen.
Speaker 7: There'd be a lot of ramification, You'd be in deep trail.
Speaker 5: But I'd be like, I think what we're saying is that a football instance that the people are really they're rubbed out. They just shouldn't be rubbed out. We understand why because concussion, but that sort of instant that should be rubbed out, that is not what you want to I'll put at least it's at least you can't have that to find is not enough. But that's a non football incident that should rubbed out.
Speaker 7: To put it more simply, that's a choice to make.
Speaker 6: Bacon makes a choice to put his elbow in the back of someone's neck and head.
Speaker 7: Where is the pierce one? That's an accident?
Speaker 2: Do you think John Yucam is up?
Speaker 1: He got a ten thousand dollar fine because it's racked up a few. Do you reckon once you get to ten thousand, that's a week?
Speaker 5: I reckon there's yeah, once you finds out up, it's a week.
Speaker 1: And I thought Newgam's one where he grabbed the player and lifted him and pile drived it is as much, I reckon, that's as dangerous as it actually gets.
Speaker 5: Well, the duty of care and tackling now has changed, I mean players, and we're going to go through it a bit later in the show with a coach's corner, but the duty of Carawan players tackle. You can see players have changed the way and they're looking after that.
Speaker 2: So we'll do that later.
Speaker 1: And you're going to tell us how you now train what there's four different ways to tackle.
Speaker 5: Four different ways to tackle, the ways of tackle to prevent with his open players from behind, it's from the side, to prevent being rubbed out.
Speaker 2: Fascinating stuff. Let's get to that, all right.
Speaker 1: President's meeting last night, sayident today today?
Speaker 3: Yes, there's a zoom call today with all eighteen AFL club presidents chaired by Andrew Bassett.
Speaker 7: Has been in the news this.
Speaker 3: Week, of course, regarding the Saint Kilda versus Gold Coast stout that read its head on the weekend. These are the main talking points. Who's the next chair? No commissioner wants the role. The presidents believe there is a view from Andrew Priddam at Sydney that the next two commissioners one should be female and one should be male.
Speaker 4: The committee that will.
Speaker 3: Select the next chair as well has been decided. It includes Andrew Priddam, includes Andrew Bassett, includes Sonya Hood and a couple of others as well. The media rights deal which is lucrative and what the future holds in that respect. The softcap lid now the presidents believe that the AFL will lift the softcap. Between seven hundred thousand and a million dollars remains to be seen whether the club will be supportive of that, but that's what they believe. The AFL will do. Pass plays is the big one. This is a welfare one. There was a view among the presidents today that each club that should employ under the softcap or otherwise a player or a pass player half player to look after players who used to play for the club, but not every single club has one in order to increase the welfare for players who no longer.
Speaker 5: That should have been the soft Cup, because that's not for the current players, that's for the past player. That's right now, You're right, I love the last one on to keep it confidential? Yeah, how does that come?
Speaker 3: To keep it confidential? And I'm sure it's going to be in the papers tomorrow and.
Speaker 1: But I'll give you the chip and footy once three people know you've got a leak.
Speaker 2: If I only tell you, I know that.
Speaker 1: You've leaked, Rof tell him as well, then know it was him and that's what happens.
Speaker 4: So told you I can't tell you.
Speaker 2: To talk about the commission all right.
Speaker 1: Now, that's this is getting murky there because people are actively lobbying behind the scenes to become the next year of the AFL.
Speaker 3: So what's happening Because Richard Goider, there's a lot of pressure on him to move on, and it feels like he's not going to move on.
Speaker 4: Why is that?
Speaker 2: He wants to stay on. He wants to stay on for three years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So why is that why?
Speaker 1: Well, he believes he's the right person at the moment to be there, and you just saw there that none of the commissioners want to tack the jump. So I reckon it's time to maybe move on a few commissioners who have been there too long if they don't have any aspirations to move on, if they've got a key position, fair enough. But there's some good people. So Jeff Brown is being mentioned in dispatches now. It's spoken of Jeff and at the moment he doesn't really want to do it himself.
Speaker 2: At various times, I think Jeff.
Speaker 1: Has thought about it, but he's going through his myeloma. He's going really well at the moment, but he has dedicated himself to find a cure for mieloma.
Speaker 2: He's also gone away later in a year.
Speaker 1: But he's a guy who could walk straight in and be the chair, the one who was starting to come into big calculations is John Wiley from Outside Football, former head of the Sports Commission. He was the guy who actually was the head of the MCG trustees when they built the new Northern Stand. One of the biggest issues that we have to get is the right person for the jobs that are coming up. So we need somebody who understands how the AFL does and participates in the building of the mcgbody who knows their way around business. He's a guy who was born in Queensland and became an AFL follower, and of course he's one of the Austral's most successful businessmen. So there's two that rock straight. Pridam's the other one, Andrew Pridham. Now he's got the knocks on him because he's well known for thinking that's and killed in North Melbourne should be gone. Okay, so there's a long way back from there, but you can come back from that situation change it.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that.
Speaker 1: I'm saying if you're going to But at the same time, what I think they need to do is I think they need to put Peter Gordon onto that commission because the concussion situation is massive. His acumen and leadership during the War Council during COVID was exemplary. So was Andrew Pridam's and so a few other people involved in it. So there's good people around the place. But what the AFL has got to do is not just paint the Commission by numbers. They have to get serious people in because Valand's. Valandis has given us a hiding at the moment, and we need to fight back. And you know what the problem is. We're not doing that badly, but we're not selling the message of it.
Speaker 5: That's what I was going to say. The Anthele's doing extremely well, but Landy's is getting all the publicity and looks like Landy's walking all over the AFL, particularly in other states. It's not actually the case. But the Commission, in my opinion, they have more voice than need to be out there telling for what they're doing.
Speaker 1: But Herdi, you have a look on the weekend, Caroline Wilson wrote a story. Now I can tell you exactly where that came, but I won't. I want don't have it right, but Michael Warner to anything, Okay, But what's what I'm saying is that people in the media are being briefed, and they're writing opinion pieces, large opinion pieces, which then become the talk on the radio, then become the talk on television shows, and people are lining up Richard Goid at the moment. And there was another big expose in the Australian where pretty just came out in about the concussion situation. So it's happening everywhere at the moment, and we'll.
Speaker 4: Keep talking about it.
Speaker 2: Discussion on decision has to be made. I think they need to move.
Speaker 1: You know, they've been talking about filling up this commission god.
Speaker 5: Knows how long now you or not seriously because your name gets battered around, which is something you want to do?
Speaker 2: I'd do anything for footy, would.
Speaker 5: You if something? Do you want to be on the commission?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: I think probably I'd be better off at the moment actually helping just do what I do, help with ideas and things like that. If I was offered a position on the commission here, of course I'm taken. I probably wouldn't, but I don't know if it fits in with what I do. But what I'm saying is that I think there are people out there.
Speaker 2: Not just for the chair.
Speaker 1: It needs to not become a single issue Senate, and that's where the Commission is looking a lot like at the moment. There's big issues and I've got to get to them, one of which is the drug issues.
Speaker 2: And we'll get to that a little bit later in Footy.
Speaker 1: Classified as we come off the top rope on that, because that could well decide whether there's a revolution in this game that's going out next Welcome back to Footy Classified. As we said, there's a lot of good things happening in football and Tom, you are there today for an announcement I wanted as a ripper for past players and for the future of the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the current crop of footballers for since twenty seventeen have funded pass players who've needed assistance to the tune of twenty four million dollars.
Speaker 4: This has now been elevated as per.
Speaker 3: Today's discussion, to fifty four million dollars between twenty twenty three and twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: How do you qualify for hardship?
Speaker 3: Well, so you have to have played a game in VFL AFL football or since twenty seventeen just been on a list.
Speaker 2: And what is hardship though?
Speaker 1: Is it because it just down on your luck or is it your body's gone from.
Speaker 4: Playing physical, mental, emotional energy above.
Speaker 1: So you were forced out of the game. You had to go to the commission, didn't you. And what's the term for the tripingal.
Speaker 6: The careending Irongrey. You go to the AFLPA and there's a commission that take care of it. But yeah, so my eyes were deemed too risky and the detachment as I've had far too risky to continue playing. I've lost some my sight over the time too, so there's some future issues I'll have. And if you're zoom that camera up close enough to my eyes, you see they look a little different as well, which probably affects Belinda more than me.
Speaker 7: But no, it is it's so good.
Speaker 2: At the moment, this is anyway, but it's good.
Speaker 6: It's one of the great things that AFLPA is set up over the years is to look after their past players, not only with hardship funds like this, but in terms of medical assistance with that physiotherapy hospital cover, also private health cover too, so they really do take care of.
Speaker 7: Their past players.
Speaker 4: So this is what was discussed today.
Speaker 3: The AFL and the AFL Players Association have come together and this is what it is I've spoken to you.
Speaker 4: Through the eligibility. The key metric is.
Speaker 3: Since twenty seventeen Rory this programmer has assisted twelve hundred former players men and women, and up to six hundred thousand.
Speaker 4: Dollars per player.
Speaker 3: So if you have a player hypothetically that is rendered a quadriplegic from football, they are eligible for six hundred thousand dollars as part of this fun It's just a concussion one as well, and this also includes concussion as well, So concussion is part of this and it will be determined by an independent panel to determine exactly how seriously.
Speaker 6: Well the concussion would have to be the big job for this because there are so many players falling out of the game due to concussion.
Speaker 5: Any Yeah, I think we've called all you particularly the show that more needs to be done. This exactly needs to be done. Congratulations to the Association of the AFL. We do have to go with everyone a lot of the time, but it's the right time, the right place and well done and know a lot of players. It just needs to be advertised more too, so players know about it and a lot of players will be taken care of. The fantastic I just.
Speaker 1: Think that is absolutely well done to everyone involved in that, the AFLP, Paul Marsh and of course Andrew Dylan, the CEO of the AFL to get that done, it's a ripper for the people. We've got to look after the players. And again I keep saying it so I think the Commission needs to turn itself back into our game and look after our game, not at the expense of everything else, but actually just focusing back in.
Speaker 3: I just love the fact it's funded by the current players as well, showing that they're invested. He and he spoke about Paul Marsh briefly. Then he was part of the briefing today he's leaving the AFLPA at the end of the week. In fact, Andrew Dillon today thanked Paul Marsh for all his work over the years. And as part of this he spoke about the illicit drugs policy. And I classify this as a parting shot at you.
Speaker 8: Show us the evidence that a more purnitive approach is going to actually improve outcomes on this issue, Like this is an issue that we always both of us, have always taken as an identify support you try to change behaviors, and that's still what we're trying to do with the policy. So I don't think it's helpful getting into a discussion. I think what can get frustrating on an issue like this is there are a lot of people who are not experts in this space, who have a whole of solutions based on nothing that we can work out that makes it of scenes in terms of how you to deal with it.
Speaker 5: Like we're working with experts.
Speaker 8: We've got a behavior change approach to this that hopefully we're not so far away from agreeing to something that can be an ouse.
Speaker 3: So there won't be punitive measures that come in. And not just me, but other journalists in the room interpreted this as a real crack at you and the stance you've taken again as well, so Anya and other people that have been against some of the afield.
Speaker 2: I don't know it's going to pull about it, but I'll find out from him.
Speaker 1: But let's say it was okay, that's that's a softening up, because they're going to come in with a very soft drug coat, okay, and people aren't going to like it. And I mean if we saw it as later as over the weekend with Bailey Smith completely laughing at the AFL making idiots of them, players who can constantly go in and go to the doctor at the club and say, oh, I've got a headache, I break up with my girlfriend and self reporting and doing all these things. I'll tell you what I am. I'm sick of going to funerals. I'm sick of watching people their careers go. I'm sick of clubs being exploded because of these situations. I'm sick of players putting themselves in harm way with nefarious activities which will lead to players for getting fixed up.
Speaker 2: As far as the.
Speaker 1: Match fixing is concerned, umpires who take who get involved in drugs and don't think that doesn't happen. Put the well, where are you going to? We don't go down the chemists warehouse. As I said on the news, who do you reckon? Are selling these things? So at the moment, here's where our drug cart has got to moved along. If you self report, you get nothing. If you get caught on matchday because you took it one night too late or whatever the case, or they've got better drug testing capabilities, you.
Speaker 2: Get put out for life.
Speaker 1: You get four years, you're cooked and your life's done.
Speaker 2: Okay, And if you get your photo taken, you get RUDD there for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Now, let's say I'm a really bad person, okay, and I go around the summer and I start taking photos of people, and I build up a nice little cash of photos of a particular club. You get to pliminary final week and you go up to that club with those players and you say, I've got photos of you. You're going to get two weeks. Your season's gone. Is going to be a bigger scandal in the world. Pay up or do as I say, what do you reckon happens?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So I believe in what the AFL and the PA have done over the years as far as the empathy and the medical approach to it, but we're long past it. I think the community has now said enough, we have to have some parameters, and whether that is on the streets or anywhere else, okay, and that's what we need to do now. We can't just keep going down this path. It's not working. Every other week another player gets themselves into a complete shamuzzle.
Speaker 3: And you're not an expert though you're a form of com Let me.
Speaker 2: Just finish right.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what I'm an expert on right, I don't know how many too many people have had two blokes sit on their couch perspiring almost to dissolving themselves because they've been found guilty of taking a drug that was laced and they get two years. And I'm sitting there with Gary Purt, Neilbam and two young Collingwood players and their lives on the line, and we go, yep, we'll look after you. We'll get you through the whole situation. Not what the PA say that clubs will burn you. And as no one a football clubs wants to burn people unless you deserve to.
Speaker 2: Be kicked out of the club.
Speaker 1: Right, So I do take unbridge at that because I've sat there and watched it, and as I said, I've been to too many funerals. I've seen too many players. It's happening every other week. Wake up and smell the roses. For God's sake. The community does not want to copy this anymore. If there's one thing that the AFL can stand up and do in life is be against drugs.
Speaker 2: It's killing our community.
Speaker 1: It's killing football clubs in the suburbs, it's killing them in the country.
Speaker 2: It's into the Women's group. As I said, it's everywhere.
Speaker 1: Now, one in nine people in Victoria on the roads when they get pulled up are drug effected. So we know it's everywhere. But we're paying people enough money not to do this. So I say they need to have a really good heart look at this. And I'm putting it on the record once and for all because I was the first person to bring this up in nineteen ninety nine at a President's money with the Commission.
Speaker 2: I sat through all.
Speaker 1: The what we're going to do with the drug situation and it is off the charts. So enough of the carry on. Let's just do it properly. If they won't to ever go up mere that, that's fine. But I will say this, and I said on the news three things in life that you'll live by if you want to be successful.
Speaker 2: Don't do drugs. Don't do drugs. Don't do drugs.
Speaker 1: And you can line up every expert from here to Tim bucktoo to come and argue that point with me. You reckon doing drugs is good? Come and see me.
Speaker 4: We're got a break. Will be back after this.
Speaker 7: What about Joe Burrow as well?
Speaker 5: Because this is one of my favorite stories that you've ever told.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: Sorry, he was in Melbourne, so I thought i'd write a message and I'm a training and I get up the track and he's replied to me and yeah, he was like, yeah.
Speaker 2: We'll get a feed and stuff.
Speaker 3: So we went to Novu who looked after the bill.
Speaker 7: He did well.
Speaker 4: It was funny.
Speaker 1: Me and Jayden get our credit cards out, like and he's like, boys come on drums his American.
Speaker 6: Express, Guinea and Simac like to steal the celebrations, so they keep one first.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Well, I actually didn't see it because I was on the bench and he did it and needed it that quick and he's so small that you can't seehim around the other people's.
Speaker 10: Yeah, one of the worst decisions I ever made in my life. Look, I'm trying to find love, okay, just like yourself, exact.
Speaker 4: Same two years of therapy down the dry by bringing that Joe.
Speaker 1: Back up for me, let's play as Phillips Vondenhoff there getting the grill from Sarah Rowe who won the A.
Speaker 2: League Soccer Championship.
Speaker 1: Back to training for the afl W and of course a Gaelic football star. Also on last night, Mattcoffee and Connor McDonald a fantastic show and the people are loving it on YouTube and of course on all the socials.
Speaker 2: Tommy, that's going beautifully.
Speaker 1: And right after your show on Monday night Footy Classified. All right, let's get stuck in it now. It's time to go to the boys over there.
Speaker 2: We're going to get to need to break well. I've been getting a lot of missage.
Speaker 1: They're all on me, take it away, he coaches, and I come on, Hurdie and Rory, let's go.
Speaker 5: I've got a lot to live up to here after that last Sea thank you, Edwin've got the Pies versus the Hawks, and this really is the match of the round. I love the Collingwood system the way they're playing at the moment. Rory, there's fantastically coached by they're coaching Craig mccrane. You look at these numbers, handball's and meters gain ranked fourth, handball stop AGEGG scores fourth, change the score third, defensive half the score third, scores sprints I fifty first and scores some turnover third. It goes to show a team knows exactly what they're doing, what the coach wants them trained, the perfection and to me, Craig McCrae is the best coach in competition by a long way.
Speaker 6: At the moment, you know you've got a great system when your players that are coming in to fill that void, and you've seen your players are having ripping games as well.
Speaker 7: And who do we have?
Speaker 6: We had Will Parker, Markov, Will Hazel come in, but Ned Long, he's been a superstar since.
Speaker 5: Next man really his next man up. We're missing Penbury, We're missing side Bottom, missing these players, but ned Long scenes were playing the Penderbury role. They know exactly what they're doing and when they get out there on the on the on the ground, the positioning, the way they run through the contest is just second to none them.
Speaker 6: We'll have a look at some footage in a second. The players have got to come back into.
Speaker 5: Like some of these guys coming back Penderbury, Side Bottom, more, Bobby Hill and Lucky Shields. Now, that's that's a fire than any club would want. And these guys will come back in Friday night. That's gonna be very hard to stop for the Hawks.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But so let's take a look at some of their footage because they are all on the same page and it's this.
Speaker 7: It's type of footy that you're loving at the moment.
Speaker 5: It is. I mean, it's very hard to stop this Kamakazi handball. See the lanes they're all in, They know where to play the ball and the head of the ball, it's almost impossible stop. I want to see ned Long here. You can see ned Long just coming to spread. Just here. The way they run and know where the ball's going. He at all times know where the ball's going. Holding their lanes, dacos coming in, they're holding the lanes out white. But that kamakazi handball going through is almost impossible stop. That last quart against North Melbourne was sensational football, Long getting the ball coming out of stoppage and beautiful goal at the end of it.
Speaker 6: Well, and the other thing is it's ball on chess too, and it makes the ball flow a whole lot easier to keep that ball on body and allows a ball to flow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're up against the Hawks, who again have a very defined system. They love to move the ball quickly. Then the reason they need to move the ball quickly is their small forward line. You can't bombit in. You look at the forwards with kicking goals, guns and a Marbo Child taller players kicking twenty three and twenty but the rest of the players for Hawthorne kicking goals are smaller forwards. If you move move the ball slowly. If that small forward line, they won't score. It has to move quickly.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And it's something we love about Hawthorne too, is the ball moving. In particular.
Speaker 6: We'll have a look at how they play it against Prison because they want to take these sort of kicks.
Speaker 7: They want to take the game on. They don't want to be going wrong to not long down the line, No, not at all.
Speaker 5: They players to do it, and they're good enough to win.
Speaker 7: This contest here. But if we pause in a second.
Speaker 5: Here, it has to come there, doesn't It.
Speaker 6: Has to come here. And the start of the year Hawthorne we're hitting his kick. Colingwood will do exactly why Prison They'll cover that off with their half forwards coming up the ground and all they want to do is force that ball to the boundary because they know they'll be set up long down the line.
Speaker 5: I just don't have the too forwards down the line. Harris Andrews read that very easily.
Speaker 6: Didn't he He did absolutely and then this is the other style of Hawthorne will play. They will flick it around with hands and that will invite Collingwood's unbelievablek See, now the.
Speaker 5: Ball has to come to the other side of the ground. He kicks a bin. Now it comes back. It has to come to the other side, so they can kick their way through and open up the space for those forwards.
Speaker 6: And this is okay, but they need to take the easy option. They need to keep this ball moving and Collingwood will set up a zone. They'll tease this kick and if you don't nail that kick, which Hawthorne didn't do on the weekend, Colin, We're going to chop it off.
Speaker 5: Yeah. The other thing the Hawks have been really good at is getting freeze and goals from high tackles. I mean, I think their fourteenth in the league from the number one forteen tackle, fourteen goals and tackles. This is fantastic play here by the Gold Coast Sons. They just didn't tackle. They know Watson's going to his knees and I think sides are onto Hawthorne. Not only is the players, but the umpires. The tackling methodology of Brisbane and Gold Coast the week before is such improved that Hawthorne, really, I reckon, I have to get this out of the game because they're being found out.
Speaker 7: What's a taught thing, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Coaches would have spoken about this and say like, I want you to stand up. You've got to be careful that coming underneath. But as you mentioned before, I love that umpires aren't falling for this anymore. They're allowing players to Yep, if they do want to duck their head and you do slightly get them on the shoulder, They're going to allow that to play on and rewarded tackle because we don't want to see head knocks or people's heads.
Speaker 5: No. And there's two types of tackles I've said to notice the real differences. One is the tackle from behind, where you lay your head on the back and you really drop down and bring them back. And the other one is against the Hawks players, it's almost like a bear hug. You start to tackle your hug and as soon as they drop their knees you can take your hands away and they look a bit silly. And I've seen that come in over the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 6: You can almost get a free kick without even tackling as we saw a couple of clips there, so a couple of unbelievable sides.
Speaker 7: Collingwood in a bit better form. But who wins this game?
Speaker 4: For me?
Speaker 5: It's Collingwood, I think with those players are coming back to collinand what about to you?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Collingwood win.
Speaker 6: I think a bit too consistent at the moment, but wouldn't be surprised if Hawthorne pulled one out of the bag.
Speaker 7: And Sammy is such a good coach.
Speaker 5: Well, I think Edie said a glass of water and settled down.
Speaker 1: So maybe feel a lot happier now after that. Normally you guys are really good tonight you're magnificent. We'll tell your break come back Lexus of Blackburn Player of the round right after this, thanks to Andrew Moore and all the team the best cars in the land at Lexus of Blackburn.
Speaker 2: That's coming up next.
Speaker 5: I thank you. It's a privileged to come and talk about the great man. First time we met Toby how about thirteen thirteen and young lad came and knocked on my door and asked have a game of cricket on the street. So on the tough streets of turek we we we bowled a few overs and he got me out and then I hit him for six, so we had That's first time I met Toby and I didn't realize, but it's probably five or six years later. Seven eight years later, I was coaching against the Giants and this young eighteen year old started bashing up my team. He said to She's after the game, I said, man, who's this green kid? He's going to be a star. Can just tell his football intelligence was off the charts. And she's looked at me and said, you wait, this kid will be a champion. And he has been the reason I love watching him. He's the favorite player in the AFL is you just know he's never been. He's a competitive animal and congratulations both one and fifty games. A great achievement. And it's been a privileged to be a really small part of your career and watch you play.
Speaker 2: Wonderful stuff you beautifully see.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: I got to know Toby at the time at the Giants and we've kept in touch, have dinners and lunches when he comes to Melbourne. Just a quality individual and as I said, love what a star.
Speaker 2: Is had he get through the media pact to get to your daughter. Knock on it.
Speaker 5: He's fair family lived across the road and yeah he battled through. Wish he had have been there about five years later and sorted out a few you would have had a pretty good bouncer. Actually, paint a picture for me. What's a six look like?
Speaker 7: In tuak? Is it over ranging it over the third level?
Speaker 4: Talking to the right people.
Speaker 2: Of it? I wish what Lee Riches used to say.
Speaker 1: So they're so good in Twrek they put their their rubbish out in suitcasess.
Speaker 4: Man all right, ed tap, No, Lexus, thanks you to take over now? No, I just wanted to big in the hurry up. And I want to know about Lexus a black Ben.
Speaker 2: Well, we don't want to miss out on that. No, because they are magnificent cars.
Speaker 1: These Lexus fifty five thousand dollars worth of car, the Lexus lb X two w D two whill drive, twelve months of VIC registration, all roads, the costs as well on road costs thanks to a Lexus.
Speaker 2: Andrew Morten ha seen a lexis Black Ben. Right, Go Tommy, you're first.
Speaker 7: Up, Eddie.
Speaker 3: I would never take over for year, But what I will say is if Toby Green is James Hurd's favorite playing the.
Speaker 4: Why doesn't he have him this week? I've got him and it's absolutely montevid.
Speaker 3: He wins at twenty eight disposals, three goals against Carlton the captain, two fifty games played in the midfield. Unbelievable day out. Also my favorite player in the AFL and has to be the Lexus of Blackburn Player of the Week.
Speaker 6: Well, you got in about three quarter time of this game and submitted your man, but no, my man Jordan Dawson. I'm going to support my team. Obviously, Jordan Dawson was exceptional. He has been for this whole year. I reckon he'd be him and Nick day class be leading the brownla at the moment. His ability to go forward heard, he's been outstanding. He takes such good marks overhead. He actually started the game forward and I was getting a bit frustrated because I reckon he win the Brown Loane. I thought he was going to have a quiet day with Sam Barry in the middle playing a ripping game as well.
Speaker 7: But Jordan Dawton, So.
Speaker 2: Why do you give Sam Berry the votes?
Speaker 1: Because he was the most tackles in the game, second most positions, kick the great goal while going for the chow point rather than Sam.
Speaker 6: Barry Jordan Dawson. No, Sam Berry's my mate, He's like my Toby Green. Yeah, I love him, absolutely loving, But Jordan Dawson was a little class here and just a bit more efficient.
Speaker 2: Semmy Berry is my man. Needs to stay around there. That players all the time.
Speaker 5: Cousy Pickett, I mean, I love you. He could have kicked well, he could have kicked ten goals, couldn't he twenty four disposals, thirteen score involvements, cis clearance in five goals and it's no coincidence that Melbourne Football Club are playing much better football. They missed him at the start of the year. He's the class of miss and I'll tell you what the some Melbourne supporters just praying that he doesn't go back to Freemattle. Simon Goodan was promised he'll stay, but watching him play on the weekend was very very special and hopefully he stays at the DS for Melbourne supporters because he is one special player and on.
Speaker 2: Doug Nichol's round it was just absolutely sensasion with icing on the cake I've gone because you know.
Speaker 1: Some of those games were just this was the match of the round, This was the heavyweight title fight. And outcomes this bloke and kicks eight. If you don't mind, Jeremy Cameron is a superstar of the game. It's all that one under his left foot, kicks it under pressure, puts it through around the body, dead in front. Whatever you want, he does it. He marks, he runs up the ground. He's one of those great center half forwards. He actually runs far and wide and look at that just knows how to play terrific.
Speaker 6: These last few weeks have been enormous in Stangers coming, and we know how great Danger has been in that side too.
Speaker 7: But RDI, what do you? What are you doing when Danger comes back with Jesse? You painting still up the ground?
Speaker 5: Or you might have to push Danger up there in the middle of the ground. Let have a bit of a bit of space, Danger and Bailey.
Speaker 2: Danger, Bonysmith and Danger putting it on your chest? All right?
Speaker 5: Who wins? We seriously Toby obviously, but sometimes he's got to be unbiaseds he picket and.
Speaker 1: He's got in his contract he gets three out of four. Do you want to people at home? She'd realize that we come, I come in and it's all done already.
Speaker 2: The first three.
Speaker 5: It's like we actually put these in on a Sunday night.
Speaker 2: I still Jeremy Cameron was the this but anyway, we'll take a break when we come back. News or noise after this and a.
Speaker 1: Father daughter record at the Carvin Football Club.
Speaker 2: That's next.
Speaker 1: Inside of a gay one fifty a chart, a girl, an infect of a car. A cay can have a shot yet and he can have a shop for thirty meters out the bush, reach around and a great kick, great white hot car.
Speaker 7: Number five.
Speaker 10: Incredibly brittles to announce it. Kay, Yeah, I think I've been the Carlton person my whole life, so to be kind of named captain is just like such an honor.
Speaker 7: And yeah it was really real.
Speaker 10: My family's pretty like he but yeah, that was super excited, super happy for me. And yeah, yeah, so far he just said, you've got a captain fifteen games to be able to beat where I was, So that's kind of the goal so far. But no, he's kind of just said, yourself, make sure you still focus on being a good player because that's kind of what's important on game there.
Speaker 1: Great stuff for Andrew McKay and Abby McKay now the captain of the Carlton Football Club. A little sister Sophie has been recruited there as well, and wow, she's an absolute gal. Watched her play in the under eleven so that back when you were coaching.
Speaker 5: Yeah, great little problem.
Speaker 2: It was indeed so well done. So the McKay's what a great story.
Speaker 1: The first time a father daughter have been captains of one particular club.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get in the news or noise into.
Speaker 3: It, tyrant ed, let's go and Rory Sloan is up first, News or Noise. Sam Collins had a last laugh in this battle with Rossline. Before you answer, this is Sam Collins today.
Speaker 7: No, I don't think so. The last opinion of his I took was winning delisted me. So I don't care for his opinion anymore. That's new is that's my job for the moment. He handled that very well.
Speaker 3: That's good stuff from Sad. I like Gold Coast versus and Kuila, it's simmering rivalry. I'm really enjoying Anie News on Noise. Fox should have been at the mcg on Sunday.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed Brian Taylor's backhand and the shots there that's the Fox box. The Fox were calling it from the hub. They put all their all their energies into Saturday. They do nine games as opposed to the four that seven do three three games.
Speaker 4: No three seven to three three Yeah, Thursday, Friday.
Speaker 2: Sunday, Sunday.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 1: So my point there is that margins are pretty tight and foot at the moment, and they've paid a whole whack to actually broadcast the game, and it would be better if they were at the MCG. Of course, that would be the perfect world. We don't live in a perfect world, and you have to actually just get yourself and get your budgets right.
Speaker 2: So I give them a slight.
Speaker 1: Pass gimetic, because that's that's just the reality of television when you actually are running these things and broadcasting.
Speaker 2: It's not a perfect world anymore.
Speaker 5: Herdi News on Noise.
Speaker 4: Five weeks of buyers is a joke.
Speaker 5: Absolutely new that is a joke. Five weeks of poor footy. You can't have forty nine games of footy every I mean, nine games are fantastic rule you can watch them Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, five games, not five weeks of drawers buys. Sorry, not the answer.
Speaker 7: I'd love a full week off of buyers. That's my view.
Speaker 6: I'd love a full week off at some point during midway through the season, almost three or four.
Speaker 2: Weeks, because the TV actually pays for it, and you've got to put a program on every week.
Speaker 5: State we have two weeks where it's compromised, not five weeks. I think two weeks where's compromised there five weeks. Five weeks is too long.
Speaker 1: I think there's to get the five day breaks in as well, and all the other things that have been happening in the fixture. It is complicated, it's not ideal. It's a bit like what I just said before, but that's the reality that we live in.
Speaker 5: But I think if you've got, if you had you.
Speaker 2: Want fifty million for the past players, yes.
Speaker 5: You've got you've got Zeround, then you've got compromise, and you've got Gold Coast estimate at the end, then you've got five weeks of buyers. I just think that it's too long.
Speaker 1: Well thest one, I agree with you, that's ridiculous. They should have just said there it is.
Speaker 5: Just given us points. That's what's happening.
Speaker 11: It was a Gold Coast disaster, not you're saying, but you actually got a point. Yeah, it wasn't we would have we came to the should have turned up anyway, Rory.
Speaker 3: Last one for you, news on noise. The a f L should have punished Bailey Smith for his Instagram comment.
Speaker 7: No definitely news.
Speaker 6: Yeah, especially after Ed's great stance on drugs, Like, if you want a harder stance on drugs, you take that more seriously.
Speaker 2: Fine.
Speaker 9: Sorry, the a f L or Geelong, I think its an a FL issues and Geelong support that they're going to give Bailly Smith an official war on an unofficial warning.
Speaker 4: But if he does it again, he'll be in trouble. But there's not going to be no, there's no formal punishment.
Speaker 7: Along and very much at a club that will protect their players. But I'm sure behind the scenes they would have had.
Speaker 4: A quiet word to make they're counseling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, but they need to have a loud word because we need to tell kids that it is not right and conduct down coming used to be the catch all for that situation they should.
Speaker 2: Have fallen into there.
Speaker 1: We all love Bailey Smith, but he's made the a f L and the AFL drug Code look ridiculous. Tonight and as they go into what we believe is going to be not the hardest of codes in the next couple weeks. He has become the poster boy for people taking the piece Eddie. We'll take a break and come back and wrap up Tab Top three right after this, Welcome back Tab Top three thanks to Gil McLoughlin going a gil finally getting some dough out of him.
Speaker 2: Tab what do we got? Top three? Which game we're looking.
Speaker 3: So, Levi Ashcroft looking at Thursday night Brisbane versus Essendon. My prediction for Tab is that he'll have twenty five and three.
Speaker 5: He's a gun.
Speaker 4: He always gets more than twenty disposals, and he's becoming more of a goal kicker.
Speaker 2: It's twenty every week, twenty five and three.
Speaker 4: He hasn't kicked more than one in a game.
Speaker 2: Okay, three, I'll take thank you. I'm glad you approved.
Speaker 6: Are you guys a chance to actually hit one at some pointing?
Speaker 7: Charlie Carol kick five this week? He'll have a few day up forward, ye, Charlie Harley, you get on the motorbike.
Speaker 5: And we I need Nate Caddy to be listening. Nate back to you for five goals last week you didn't kick one. I'm going to go with you again up in Brisbane. Five goals for Nate Caddy against the lines.
Speaker 2: I think you had a nice one, but you've got it out of order. There, there we go. We had Charlie Charlie Harley, Charlie Harley, Cameron yep.
Speaker 5: Well if you go out of order it doesn't count.
Speaker 7: You mean when you went out of order?
Speaker 5: Oh I didn't.
Speaker 2: We're still on.
Speaker 3: There we.
Speaker 2: Go boys.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there's going to be some discussion off our topics tonight. All that is said with absolute loving, our heart for the game of Australian rules football. It's not personal against anyone. We all believe that we have to look after our players from a pastory or point of view. But unfortunately we need to have a bit more stick, not just carrot.
Speaker 2: We'll take your break for a couple for a week. We'll come back. We've got due show on Sunday night.
Speaker 1: Sunday shows, I said, and of course footy footy classified on Monday.
Speaker 2: And then we're back on Tuesday. Catch you next week.
Speaker 4: You win some, you lose more. For free and confidential support, call the number on the screen or visit the website,