Speaker 1: The matter, how.
Speaker 2: You believe about these over beside, we would.
Speaker 1: The body to a session, you speaking those people crystals.
Speaker 3: For me, Andrew would either pash or bedroom eyes that look with my personal favorites.
Speaker 4: Can I throw and trust me?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I always like that. Well, I think that might have been the first for our upcoming legend. Who's right here on the phone with us, Kate Sobrano, A very good evening to you, get I go, Are you going?
Speaker 3: We're good, Kate, I was saying to Andrew just before that. When you look through well even through Wikipedia and look at all the things you've achieved in your career, you sort of your eclipse John Farnham and people guys like that, with everything you've achieved, it's quite amazing. And I said to Andrew, why would Kate bother talking to us?
Speaker 5: Aha? Oh no, it's good. It's good to get out and chat and promote. I've actually been sort of been on the down load a little bit lately, just waiting to do something a bit special, and something's come up that's kind of special and it's coming together really really well. And that's when you know. You get back out on the road and you're like Okay, I want to talk about this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, lovely, do you want to tell us what it is?
Speaker 5: Are you lose today?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: Cool? I was giving you belief. Well, it's coming up for about forty years since Australian made the very famous Australian Tour, which by the way, came about because a gauntlet was set down and it was and what they'd sort of claimed was that you couldn't have all Australian cast on an Australian festival and have it succeed. That was what they were saying at the time. And I remember Jimmy Barnes he said, oh, that's law of volted. And then there was Michael Hutchins and then there but then they put a list of artists of the times including I'm talking I think you mentioned, but there were the models, the Saints, Vinyls, there were meddle of anything. I mean, the list went on, but basically it was it was in excess and Jimmy and and we all agreed that we were going to go out and show them that Australia could actually show up for itself and we did and did very well.
Speaker 4: You've got this Australian Made Tour coming up now. Good title for it, of course on the fortieth year, and you start in Bateman's paper, but you're coming to Melbourne, you're going the way. In fact, where aren't you going? Every state as far as I can see in Australia.
Speaker 3: Isn't it?
Speaker 5: Well? I did. I just decided I'm working with my husband on this and we sort of went around regionally with the idea. I haven't been out to the regions in such a long time. It's kind of where I started. And the show it's pretty it's it's basically we get to perform a lot of the material from all the artists that were represented on that trip, and then as I bought it through and over three forty years, we go through to a whole other variety of Australian artists including like really while Everything, Paul Kelly, wolf Mother, Megan Washington, Bernard Fanning, you name it. Like, there's just this whole, trawling, fishing line of all Australian music.
Speaker 3: So how do you narrow it down onto a playlist that will fit in one concert? Are these just sort of your personal favorites?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I had to choose it on a real personal level and on how the times as I've just and also the people that I've worked with, you know, I'm sad to have to tell you, but mostly all of the headliners, or at least the singers, the lead singers in our past, yeah, the ones standing at Sean and myself and Jimmy of course yes. And so to be able to play homage to those great artists and know that also none of it really had to have anything to do with Like, it's not like today where you know a bill will be picked because everyone's sort of similar. We had nothing in common and it was so it represents Strada so well because there were punk bands and there were pop bands, and there was rock bands, and that is kind of like the profile Australian music. So anyway, I talk about all the people I've met in stories along the way, but I don't. I just perform a lot of the songs and then we re announce it with the reasons why they're important to me.
Speaker 4: Is there going to be a bit of Kate Sobrano and amongst it all?
Speaker 5: Though, of course does a cut out a bum.
Speaker 4: It's just like.
Speaker 5: I can't I can't not mention how the decades have passed and there was a hit that happened on every kind of passing of every ten years, and yeah, are we definitely doing all those?
Speaker 4: Yes? Please? Yeah, Well you've got as far as Victoria goes, you're going to be in Aubrey. We'll give the well, actually i'll give more detail about how people can find out where you're going to be. But you're going to be in Ringwoods, You're going to be in Frankston, You're going to be in Bending, You're going to You're really doing a lot of work. How's it feel You've been touring that for at least forty years? How does it feel like another gig, another motel and all that you still cope with it?
Speaker 5: Kate, No, this one's very special. Like I'm actually taking out a trio and it sounds pretty bizarre, but we're all multi instrumentalists, so we're kind of we all trade all of the instruments, just the three of us. There's a young girl, Kathleen Hellerin who's an incredible guitarist, and Darren Harts. I'm on drums and piano, and we all swap and we all sort of sing and it's just a different sort of stuff. So I'm excited. I reckon. I mean, really, the key to staying young is to surround yourself with young, inspired people. And at my age, I just really feel it's important to express how important stratiing music is and to give an honor all of the artists that have inspired and kept me in the business for so long. And these kids they went he is in born when Australia made happen, and so the audience is I just look, I'm probably speaking ahead of its time. I just really think people are really going to love this show. It's for all reasons. It's everyone's men with just ad water, everyone's memories, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, no one better to do it because you've lived there, you lived through it and were part of it. And yeah, now exactly celebrating it all, which is marvelous. So do you tell a story or two in between the songs on stage?
Speaker 5: Yeah. At the we've got like a bit of a sort of setup where there's a VIP kind of experience and I get to talk with them and I explained the history and the context of the songs. Then the show begins, and then once we're in it, definitely do Yeah, I definitely to tell about people and what it was like to really like rub shoulders with some of the most important people in Australian music, and what it felt like to be very young and standing in the wings, you know, wed between Rene Gayer and Chrissy Amphlet or something. There was like there was a dynamic that I learned about women, and certainly the the differences of women in the seventies based and what they'd been up against. Lots of things like that. Just really interesting stories that have to do with what shape me as an artist.
Speaker 4: Kate. I first became aware of you singing. I say, yeah, I said, the Georgie Fame thing. Yeah, yeah, that's the song, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Oh my god?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: And I was watching TV one night. To be honest, I didn't know you, I didn't know who. I didn't know who I'm talking really was about. But there was this and then most it was this dark haired girl and she's got this big smile and she's moving and she's committed to I thought, who's that And because there was no name given, it was just this I'm talking and now on to the next act. I can't remember what the show was, and it was and it was turned out that was you. And it's interesting how you've stayed in my mind for years before I actually knew who you were until he went and that was when till he went solo. And then ah, that's that girl. It's the power of smiling is almost and that's where.
Speaker 5: You've got to like. It's the way that you let the light out. I mean it is, that's it.
Speaker 3: I'll chuck in Kate that, Yes, the smile is important, but it's great to have talent to becc it up.
Speaker 4: Yes, but it does help tell it didn't get through all the things.
Speaker 5: No, that's beautiful though. I really appreciate that, and I do. I do think that there are and as I you know, like as I've come through the ranks with people around me, like Michael Hutchinson even see her for instance, when she was a kid, I'd go to Adelaide and her dad would actually always ask me, as I was coming into town, is it okay to see it gets up and has a thing Like she was twelve and you could tell you could tell that a person was coming, you know, like you could see that they had something about them that was that was so distinctly different. You could call it ambition, but it's not. It's more like a kind of like a destiny, you know, you just you can feel that they're meant to do it.
Speaker 4: Couldn'tgree more. And you've see it on the musical stage. You see it sometimes on a movie screen. Do you think that actor playing that relatively small role and he's really or she's really good.
Speaker 5: You know, you just can't take your eyes off exactly. So yeah, it's definitely. It's definitely in the arts. I think that it's in particular with music, Like musicians either have it or they don't. You know, you can be as technically trained as the next person, but it's it's that little extra willingness to kind of want to be seen. And I don't think it's very straight in to want to be seen as a rule, like we tend to hide and we tend to sort of like fall into the shadows and want to be a lot like our friends and not really stick out of the crowd. But for me, as a kid, I found I felt free on stage and I felt like it was the safest place in the room for me, so I just kept gravitating to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it came across as well. It comes across Kate, it really does.
Speaker 5: That's great. I love that. Well, nothing's changed forty years in and I'm still keen as mustards.
Speaker 3: Well that was another question, was is do you still love it as much as you did when it first all happened for you? I guess you must, otherwise you retire and sit at home and do nothing.
Speaker 5: Well, I do have. I think I have a really failsafe sort of mechanism in me that if I'm curious about something, I'll just I'll pursue it. And you know, anyone who lives with me around me knows I won't stop until I actually kind of see it through to the end, the good, bad and the ugly. And I reckon it's kept me going because and I actually see that same thing in Jimmy Barnes. He has the same inexhaustible curiosity, curiosity towards music and entertainment and sort of talking. He's a storyteller. I am too, and we just I think we simply know that our role in life is to bring people together, connect to them by music, and give their stories and their memories a bit of a soundtrack. That's what I reckon we do.
Speaker 3: Now, Okate, I have to also ask you, like part of I'm talking solo career TV stage, it all just seems quite natural for you. Each of those adjustments in your career, well not adjustments, but each of those movements in your career. Did you find any of them threatening, terrifying, nervous energy or did you just sort of go, yeah, I'll give that a crack, I too fine.
Speaker 5: Television's really freaky. Like I remember the first time I went and shot something for Getaway, and I did feel a bit like I felt fish out of water. And the guy put me in a field and then from a long distance camera about two hundred meters away, he yelled, okay, action, and you know you've got to this big dialogue as you're walking towards camera, and you've got to make it look really natural. And I just turned to you and I said, what first hell was this? Like I don't understand what I didn't understand, And because of that, I just I didn't think that that was going to be where I ended up. Like it was sort of nice thing to do while I was waiting for You know, you go in and out of fashion with yourself right over forty years, you also lose interest as well, and sometimes you've got to lead something to come back in it and realize you've missed it. And television was just a small moment for me to do something interesting and fun. But I didn't think I was like, I didn't feel like I could be free like I came when I sing, and I realized, like, probably the thing I do best in my life is seeing an interpret music.
Speaker 4: Kate, I always asked, sing is there and musicians too? What was the first record you bought? Do you remember?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I do?
Speaker 5: Actually it was Kate Bush, Yes, yes, yeah, oh yeah, pretty inspirational stuff. And I found because of the wonder and the limitless composition of her as a person, as a singer, as a performing artist, there was just if you ever go back and you ever listen to any of her interviews, you realize that she was just again, she was just like this kind of very eccentric person who wasn't trying to be like anyone else. And I thought that was pretty cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree, Yeah, very innovative.
Speaker 3: You're both sing in quite a high range.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I You usually joke about her that that, you know, bats are probably her biggest audience. She probably sings things we can't even hear, but you also have a great ability to really pitch up. How do you go with that? Like Cyndy Lauper was another one who sang in quite a high register.
Speaker 5: And I think that the years go over your voices, like like an instrument or read, it changes, and certainly even like you know, after childbirth and stuff, where your body's gone through this amazing transformation, all the bellows, everything's changed, all the chambers, and then you know, like my voice isn't at all like that anymore. Like I can do well, for instance, you know the set list, I go from anything from early Models stuff which I sang on as a kid. But then I can also come all the way into singing Rene gay or even more. I can, I can, I can do it all. In fact, I reckon you get a bit more. I want to say, there's more depth, and you're kind of more salty. I like it's it's deeper, it's a deeper feeling.
Speaker 4: You're not the only thinger to say that that time has since been kind of the voice given them a sort of a Melonis that that wasn't there when you're eighteen or nineteen.
Speaker 5: That's right, I reckon, yes, completely, Now.
Speaker 3: We time is almost up. We've got to let you go shortly. We're loving your chat, but I won't prye too much into your private life. But still married and a very talented daughter.
Speaker 5: Daughter. I have a really have an incredible family, the three of us, the three little bears. We're really we have a very creative house. Because she's writing and she's singing. She has her own career, and my husband and I work together and we've been doing that since COVID and we're doing really well with that. In fact, we're touring and promoting and doing all of this ourselves, so we're not going to be a part. And that's another reason why touring is probably not as arduous as it's been in my life, because we just get to do it together. It's just the best thing.
Speaker 3: Well, I was at a gig. I was at the launch of something last year. I can't even remember what it was. I got a T shirt out of it. But I was at a launch of something and Gypsy was performing there and she was I had no idea that she was related to you, but I was standing there with a group of friends and I said, this girl's really good, and they said, oh, gorgeou and they said, that's Kate Sobrano's daughter, and I've got okay, well that's enough in the James.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well she's beautiful because she doesn't sound like me, so there's like we have She's got her own distinct character in her own distinct voice, so there's no comparison. And she's just Also she's just a really lovely performer. So she's yeah, she's just starting and she's on her way.
Speaker 4: She's going to do good. Well, it's the Kate Sabrana a twenty twenty five Australian made tour. It's going to be something else. It kicks off, I mean as of this week in Bateman's Bay in New Southwest, but we've got to speak to Victorian listeners in particular of course Kate.
Speaker 5: And it hits Victoria.
Speaker 4: Well, it will be everywhere, but in Aubrey. It'll be Accident later this month and in July, it's going to be all over the place, Bendigo and Ring and all sorts of places, et cetera. Wish all the best with yeah, and wish you all the best with it.
Speaker 5: Kate Sabrano dot com Get tickets because they're selling fast.
Speaker 3: That's the easiest way, Yes, Kate, sobrano dot com. And don't forget something I learned very early on. It's not Sobrano, it's seberano when you're spelling it.
Speaker 5: I even said it like sobrano.
Speaker 3: Kateano dot com.
Speaker 4: Said, sobrano when you learn something every day.
Speaker 3: Good on you, guys, Thank you, chat to you, Kate, Thanks for your time and good luck with the tour.
Speaker 5: Thanks mate, bye or should I say mates go bye bye?
Speaker 1: You ask me happy down?
Speaker 2: You ask me here?
Speaker 6: My love is green. I gave you the best years of my life as you wom man. I know I failed to treat you right as you.
Speaker 2: Wom don't let me o, don't let me.
Speaker 1: There to don there you don im there you don there too? Done? Oh there you don there to doe