Speaker 1: On Perth six PR. This is Perth Today with Simon Beaumont.
Speaker 2: Yes today everyone, thanks for listening in. I'm Simon Beaumont here until one o'clock today. I'd love to hear from you talk about radio program when I talk about radio station. Phone lines are open one double three eight eighty two if you'd like to give us a call, and the text lines up and running as well. Zero four eighty seven, triple nine A eighty two. The state of origins on tonight at OPTAs Stadium, but not according to our daily paper. We'll have a little look at that in just a moment. Spoke to Milty and Carl about it. I'm not sure if you care. Maybe it's just us good luck to the Bears if Rugby League isn't going to get any coverage at all going forward. Full We on the show today, Luise Rai will be in from the RSPC eight with some special views, some little mates, and we're going to speak to a speech pathologist who has written to federal and state ministers. The NDI is carve up for speech pathologists and other ancillary health services, has really dried up and hasn't changed in the last five or six years and a lot of these little businesses are in a paralas state. The leader of the opposition, Basil's Emplus, will join us after nine point thirty with his Fortnightlygue segment and gardening with Sue mcdoodle, Musumik, Sue mcdougalam One, OAM Award and OAM in the in the King's Birthday Honors List. I think mcdodle might come back to haunt me at some stage, and when the bloopers get played, I'll give you we had to have a yes no question for you in just a moment as well. One of the things I'm going to talk to Basle about, because he got pretty stroppy in the media yesterday, was the delay in smart writer, the delay in us being able to use our credit cards to check in and out in and out of trains, buses and ferries. I think Pads is going to arc up about that today. We've got some really old audio for you, going back to twenty eighteen when the PTA spoke to this station talking about what was coming up. Twenty eighteen. So it's been six and a half years in the making and we've still got a couple of years to go. Before we can tap on tap and go on buses, trains and ferries. We'll have a look at that on the show in just a moment. I want to try and clear something up today. First up, if we can.
Speaker 3: Right, let's clear this up once and for all.
Speaker 2: Yes or no? Have you had the flu this year? Have you had the flu this year? A health figure show There's been more than double the amount of the cases this time last year. Have you had the flu this year? Yes or no? And what's it been like? So always hear that, you know, we people say I've got the flu when you haven't really just got a cold or RSV or something like that. But have you had the flu this year? What's it been like? Yes or no? Have you had the flu this season? It's double the number of cases that have been reported to hell them. People have been hospitalized as well. People have been really crooked this year. Have you had the flu this year? With zero four seven, triple nine eighty two? Yes or no? Have you had the flu this year? Just wanted to mention this today. Milsey and I and Carl had a bit of a chat about it. It's it's about the coverage of the state of origin, which is on tonight, so it will be close to us sellout. It was Game one was the most watched TV event of the year thus far. Somewhere between three point eight and five point four million people watched it. Lots of people watched it in Perth, so I wanted I wanted to say this, and ultimately I'm concerned what this means for the Perth Bears when they come to Perth. Now. I'm an AFL fan, A lot of our listeners are. I'm a sports fan in general, but I do watched the National Rugby League. So the daily paper, the paper that we have been reading in citizens, I still regard it as our paper. I've been reading it long before the current editor and owners turned up have decided to almost completely ignore one of the biggest sporting events to the year. The state of origin. Now, this is a massive deal for the city and the state. The paper pretty much ignored it yesterday and gave it almost nothing today on page forty six. And I don't reckon Channel seven will cover it tonight. Why is that? Because it's not broadcast on Channel seven, It's on Channel nine. And as Milty said to me earlier on today, it's a huge event for the community. It's a huge event for Western Australians. For our city, it's a huge event to show off our stadium and our city. Imagine if this radio station didn't get behind telephone or the Christmas pageant because they are shown on another television network. Imagine if we did that. And I will say good luck to the Bears going forward, a national team being ignored and undermined by a dominant local media outlet. So we have asked to speak to Anthony de Seglee today, of course, a former editor of the paper and the new CEO of the Bears, but he's unavailable, is in meetings. He has spoken a little earlier to Carls stef Ivanovic on the on the Today Show. This is Anthony de Sigley, former editor of The West and the new CEO of the Perth Bears, chatting de kl on the nine network this morning. Have you listen, there's another big issue here for anyone trying to break into this AFL town.
Speaker 4: He basically controls.
Speaker 2: The media over here.
Speaker 4: You burnt the village as it were, by leaving seven.
Speaker 2: Where do you find your oxygen?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean look, at the end of the day, what I've said to people is you know this is an AFL town. There's no doubt about that. The Eagles and the docks are big. But like, it's also a soccer town. It's also a basketball town. It's a tennis town, it's a hockey town, it's a union town, and it'll be an NRL town. I mean the main thing about West Australians is they love sport of any kind and they show up to things. So you know, there'll be sixty thousand people at Origin. You know there is a huge appetite for this impact.
Speaker 4: The West Australian paper has been less than supportive of all of this, and whatever directive is going on there, you can do it without it.
Speaker 5: Well, I think the end of the day, we've got to earn the right to be in those pages, right, Like, if we're winning on the field, if we're winning off the field, then I'm sure we'll be in the West Australian sports pages. And if we're not, you know, the only people missing out will be the readers of the newspaper.
Speaker 2: All right, So there's Anthony DISSECTI former add to the West knows a fair bit about the West, and the owner of the West and how the network works. But it's really clear, really clear that the seven West Media group aren't getting behind the NRL because they're not showing it. So and as I say, imagine if six PR didn't give a nod and a wink and include some of our staff at telephone or at the Christmas pageant. Imagine if we didn't do that, which is part of the town and a really important part of the town and what the community does. Imagine that not going to happen. Is it different, different set of ethics, business ethics at play? I guess yes, no. Have you had the flu this season? The yeses are five and the nose eleven. So if plenty of people haven't had it, but plenty of people have double the number of flu returns, and some people have been really crooked one double three eighty two. Andrews says, I think the Bears will be okay. There are enough key weis Inis the States. People living in Wa these days we watch an RL. Thank you, Andrew. Natalie, Hello, natal Lee says I hate to break it to you. Most Sam Gropers aren't interested in our el and no wonder the West is interested, Natalie. They are not interested because they're not showing it. Aileen says, no, I haven't had the Thank you, Natalie, I haven't had the flu. I've had a very nasty cold. If it wasn't flu, Thanks Aileen. No, says Linda and Kensing and hello Linda, thank you for corresponding with us. I haven't had it. Did they have a flu? Jab early?
Speaker 6: You may so.
Speaker 2: I hope they'll stay well. This one here from Chris. Yes, Simon, I've had the flu. Sore throat running, no small, four days hot lemonon and honey. Thanks Chris. Lots of people corresponding with us today. Have you had the flu this season already? Rory No, Nope, no flu, no flu Shotory things me. Hello, maya morning, Simon, I haven't had the flu. Lots of people corresponding with us today, so and if you have had it, tell us what it was like. Davos says I've got COVID, and he's put a rude word in there. I can't read that word, devo, but sorry to hear that, mate, Greg. I'm fifty six years old and otherwise reasonably fit, and I had the flu bad enough that it hospitalized me for four days.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 2: Sorry to hear that, Greg, it's heavy. Yes, I have says John wasn't bad. It was very long. Three weeks no COVID comes cropping up a little bit as well. Thanks for your correspondence on this. We're asking and fatic noses. Chris May, are the health authorities chucking out more scare tactics. I don't think so, Chris. I think they're legit, don't they Well, why they do that? Nos is? Elizabeth Andrew hung around for two weeks. It was no good. Thanks Andrew. We'll take a break still to come on the program. I'm going talk to Clay Gollig about the flu numbers this winter. They are double what they were this time last year. After nine thirty, Basil Zemplus will join us. He's got a fair headed steam up with regards Caroline Spencer's numbers of yesterday. The report at one point six billion dollars in budget overruns on it projects around other major projects in the city. So well, speak to Baz about that bit of a free kick for bas. I'm not sure how he's going to frame that up today. You just need to get Bas's thoughts too, having, you know, being a Channel seven bloke formally what he thinks about the coverage of the state of origin. It's on tonight'll be big local paper. Doesn't care. Back in a second, Clay College joins us. Now he's an infectious diseases expert. Good ad, Dr Clay. How are you Yeah, good to talk to you. It's been a while. How are you going well, you've got a while, yeah, if you had the flu?
Speaker 8: Mate.
Speaker 7: In fact, funnily enough, I've had something nasty for the last two weeks, severe sore throat, cough, shocking red eyes like Dracula. Haven't made a diagnosis, but.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, here's got something dodgy. I'm here that you're baffled on. Yeah, good on you, matte. We've been asking the question this morning, Clay, yes, no question. Have you had the flu? Our listeners are saying no flu yet, says Trucky Carol, yummy homemade soup. Shelley says no flu, no shot for over ten years, so at the moment yet says A ten and nose to twenty four. But the numbers presenting to the Hill or being recorded by the Health Department of double what they were last year.
Speaker 7: Clay, Yes, in fact, it's very worrying. And remember those numbers that are diagnosed to the tip, the very tip of the iceberg. So most flu cases in fact don't get diagnosed. So you're looking at hundreds of thousands of cases potentially probably double what we had last year. And this is a phenomenon right across Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so just remind us, Clay, what's the difference between a man cold, a cold, and the flu.
Speaker 7: So influenza when it does hit you, it's a really nasty illness. Most people have got bad flu will say it hit me like a brick or a train. I just got knocked over within a couple of hours. So it's usually much more severe than just a common cold, which might be a bit of a scratchy throat and a running nose. With flu, you feel terrible headache, high temperatures, muscle aches and pains, sore throat, can feel short of breath too because and get into your lungs as well and cause in pneumonia, which is one of the things we really worry about, and that's what we're actually seeing in our inpatients at the hospital at the moment. We're seeing a lot more flu than we are COVID and some of them are very very nasty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, so this will happen, so people going to hospital. I was one of our listeners that went for four days at close. So that's the that's the extreme outcome, isn't it having to go to an ed and then needing to find.
Speaker 7: A bed yep, and you know something end up in ICU. So touch wood for us at Hollywood at least we haven't had a directly attributable death. We had a few people come close though, So you know, I just keep reinforcing prevention better than QRE. I do a regular segment with Ross. You probably here on a Sunday, YEP evening, and you know, we talk about vaccines all the time, and the full vaccine. It's not a perfect vaccine, but it's a good one. That's one we all should have. It's still free. Our great friends at the w A Labor government. Can't such be highly enough of them? Do I sound funny with my tongue on my cheek, But no. They've made it free from May and June, so and they may well extend I don't know for sure, but they're talking about extending the free vaccine into July as well. So if you haven't had it, don't be sangled about it. Go on and get it done.
Speaker 2: All right, Good to talk to you, mate, You do sound a bit rasciale. Let you get back to the onion eleven. Good on your mate. Thanks Clay both see Dr Clay Collige. It's infectious diseases experts. So they've had some near some close calls. Of Clay's practice is based up at Hollywood. They've had some near close calls there. But people presenting to eds with the flu influenza A. Have you had the flu this season? The yes is are ten and the nose a twenty four. Thanks for sending in your thoughts. Lots of people responding to this today. Jack says it's an AFL waffle state. That's why the paper is reported the way they have Jack. So this you know, we cover the waffle in this state. We cover the waffle more than we do state of origin. Five point four million people watched it the last game Australia wide. It's a big deal, Jack, and preciate your thoughts.
Speaker 6: Mate.
Speaker 2: People don't go to the waffle. I go to the waffle. There's five hundred people there.
Speaker 6: Mate.
Speaker 2: They go to the finals and I care about Waffle, I go, but we're not a you know. That's that the Waffle gets more coverage than than the than the state of origin would be my point. I appreciate your thoughts, and it is an AFL state, a footy state. We will know that. Think about this, Jack, if you're a West Coast supporter and you haven't particularly enjoyed the last three and a half years, watching the Rabbit O's or the Dolphins is not a bad option. It's a good game. One double three at two. Love to hear from you today, Jason. Yes, I've had the flues on the moderate side of average at best. Thanks Jackson, good description, mate, that's funny. Love to hear from you today. It's a bit of a long bow to compare a game of road between New South Wales to Queen to Telethon. I guess the point is, David, it's about supporting a community event. I know the scale of tell I get that, but imagine if we imagine if we're here at six PR refuse to mention telephone because it's on another network. He's my point. Yes, Telephon's a massive deal, always has been, always will be, so it should it's unreal. Imagine if we didn't give it a nod. Thanks for listening in today, Thanks for your thoughts. Really appreciate it. Baslesample, It's not far away. Twenty four minutes past nine, Keep your thoughts coming in. Have you had the flu this season? The nose of twenty five and the yes are twelve and the yeses are saying they've been pretty crook on arecms line? Did I?
Speaker 6: Greg?
Speaker 9: Hey, how are you good?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 10: Thank you?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I got the flu really bad. Ended up with being rushed into rushed into Fiona Stanley, well straight past. I knew I was sick when they bypassed all the rampings guys and took me straight into a into a bead.
Speaker 2: That's when I thought, oh, hello, yeah, well how old are you agreed?
Speaker 12: I'm fifty six and pretty fad yep, and yeah, four days I spent in the hospital, very very ill.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, matey.
Speaker 12: It's no joke for the I think there was the call of their saying that the government's faking it or whatever.
Speaker 2: Not trust me, you were faking Hey, Greg, how are you going now? You got better?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 14: Look, you know what.
Speaker 12: I'm back at work today and the boys hasn't completely come back, but I'm otherwise getting back to normal health.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it was a shocking.
Speaker 12: Couple of weeks there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, thanks mate, thanks for talking to us. Wonderble three A Daddy two. The figures the number of presentations to the health department have been eighty eighty three this time. Last year's three four hundred and eighty eight. So it's a it's a bad flu season. Quite a lot of people have been sick here at six PR. But be aware and then try and keep your immune system in half decent neck, get some exercising, some healthy food and some sleeping, all of that. But it is a it is a bad flu season. Thanks for to all our listeners. We've been in touch with us today. It's twenty seven minutes past nine. This is Perthday. I'm Simon Beumont. Thanks your thoughts today where we have a yes, no question for you. Have you had the flu? It's twice as bad as last year the flu season. No, I had the flu. Jab This is Linda, Thank you Linda. Nice to hear from you. Barry said I had a coral but it was covid no flu if the infectious disease guys doesn't know what he's got and we have a problem. It's married from Green. It is Clay Gollige for Clay, which it is Clay College we're talking about.
Speaker 15: Can I sorry, Simon, I'm just saying hello, good morning. I heard you say Clay and I thought, well, that must be Clay Gollige talking about infectious diseases. I thought, but it doesn't sound like the Clay that I know. It mustn't be Clay Gollege. And then the more I listened, I thought, oh no, maybe it is how he's crook is he is crooked and he's not sure what it is has. This is a guy who is at the absolute top of his profession, like Clay is recognized, there's not only one of the best in the world in infectious in Australia in infectious diseases, but globally goes all over the place lecturing and giving.
Speaker 2: And he's been sick for two weeks. He doesn't know what he's got. That's that's not great. It's not what we want to hear it is. It is not Steve says fourth day, feeling like kaka, which is Italian word. I think wife has it too, and Greek and is it the same for the same thing, is it yep, yeah, yeah, it might be slang in both languages actually, but s h yeah, you get where we're going. You're same, ladies and gentlemen. It's that time of the week help us nine on a Wednesday where we get to welcome the state opposition leader Basil Zamplus into the studio. Basil, thank you for coming in. Hello Bowie, lovely to be with you again, and good morning everybody. Three weeks listening hearing speaking to a finished of Finny now done and no, well it.
Speaker 15: Rolls on, and so all of our engagement and certainly my engagement around the state and the around the metro area where I've branded as a listening to only because it makes it very clear what it is. And coming off the last elect as you've heard me say previously, there's a need for our state parliamentary team that certainly means the leader to connect and reconnect if you like, with the liberal values and brand in the community. And so the most recent visits have been to the Pilbra and a really good insight for me exmounth Port, Headland and also Caratha and the issues that they have and the great strength that those.
Speaker 2: Regions have as well. So if have you heard anything that has surprised you, I wasn't expecting.
Speaker 15: Yeah, well I and as I say this, this is exactly why somebody in my position needs to go out because I have been well aware that we have a housing crisis in Perth. That's been very clear to me, certainly my previous role as Lord Mayor and in my formative stages of this parliamentary career and obviously representing the people of church Lands. But to go up north and see how grave the situation is up there with housing, public housing, construction of how release of land fore housing, it is very clear to me now that this is a statewide epidemic. We just can't get enough housing for the people that we need. And it's particularly relevant up in the towns of Karratha and Port Headland and Xmount for example, because they want to grow their communities. You grow your community by providing more services and opportunities for the people who live there. But to do that you need more people living there. And if you can't get houses built, you can't grow those communities. And so this is the seriousness of the situation. It's not just about what's happening here in the city. It's also what's happening in our state. And if we want to continue to grow our state, to remain the economic powerhouse that it is, we need to find ways to get more housing into our statewides.
Speaker 2: So what are the people living in Karratha and Heaven who need more housing saying to you? And the people in the wheat belt in the great Southern what are they saying? Is it to do with releasing land essions from Western power for headworks? Is it to do is labor builders stock? What is it? Or is it all of those? Yeah, so it really is all of the above.
Speaker 15: There is a great frustration though, certainly in the regional centers about the release of land. They do feel that it is not happening fast enough and that it does get delayed. There's a huge element of bureaucracy around it. And the other thing that everybody listening who's traveled our great state would know, And I've traveled to our great state, but a long time since I've been to Port Headland, Kafa and Xmount specifically, there is vast amounts of land. The one thing that we shouldn't have a problem with in wa is Land, but land release is an issue. It doesn't happen fast enough and it's not happening in the right areas. Next Amount, for example, has a large plot of land that the state government have said they are going to release, intend to release, but for two years now it's just been sitting there and the shire are ready to go, the locals are ready to go, but the land has not been released, and it is wholly the growth of the whole region of.
Speaker 2: X Mouth back. Basil's mplus is with us, if you want to call it, you cam Wonderble three A eighty two. We had Caroline Spencer, the Auditor General in yesterday Basis you're standing right where you're standing at the moment, and it was a fairly grim tale. One point six billion of cost overruns, particularly around it in major projects, and one of them is around the fact that we still don't have tap and go on their buses, ferries and trains have a listen to this. This is David Hines, former media guy for the PTA. This is the twenty ninth of December Basil twenty twenty two.
Speaker 10: I expect probably by the end of twenty twenty three is when we're looking at at the moment to have a system which you'll be able to use your phone, a credit card or any wearables of you know, your Apple watch and so on to do your tag with.
Speaker 2: And we like Heinze, we always liked him. Good fellap so and he's he's got that information in front of him. He believes it. That's twenty twenty two and one. Spencer was in here yesterday saying this is seventy running seventy eight months late.
Speaker 15: Six and a half years, six and a half years, and so for those and sometimes he ordered a general's reports can although she's excellent when communicating them, they can be hard to fully understand and get your head around. I get it, big numbers projects you're not necessarily familiar with. And this audit was into ten it projects. The state government are responsible for rolling out ten of those projects, and they are at least one point six billion dollars or more over, so huge overruns but also not getting them delivered. But here's the thing about the project that you've mentioned specifically, I think it helps us all understand what we're talking about here. Now, there's no one in the world currently who doesn't use their phone to tap and go and do all of those things when they buy their coffee, by their shopping, do their internet banking and other things. But you can't do that on our trains or buses. They can do it in Sydney and they can do it in Melbourne, but they can't do it in Perth. And we've been waiting six and a half years for this to be rolled out. And why is that relevant, Simon, Because when we talk about getting things done, we talk about them getting done on time and getting down on budget.
Speaker 2: And here's an.
Speaker 15: Example of neither of those two things happening six and a half years. Is the delay for the implementation of this technology that most people now would consider an everyday part of life in all of our areas of life, but not on public transport. And the overrun is part of the one point six billion dollar overrun in these IT projects. That's not acceptable and it goes to the delivery on time and on budget of this state government.
Speaker 2: It's an area that they are falling down in badly. So Olie is very cleverly picked up listening to Caroline. They said, big deal, these numbers are appalling. Big deal. She's put it in a report nothing's going to happen. So I put that back to you and perhaps to not having a having for a period of time a genuine content soviety is politically so we do what according to well, list what's going to change, Well, they've got ninety million members in Parliament, what's going to change?
Speaker 15: Well, we have to We simply have to keep the pressure on. It's up to the opposition to continue to raise these things on behalf of the public of Western Australia. The public of Western Australia through talkback radio and other forums have a role to play in that as well. What we have to do primarily is let the state government know that it's not acceptable, that we expect far better and if people in Sydney and Melbourne when they're getting on the ferries or the buses or the trains can use their mobile phone to tap and go like you can with lots of other things here in WA. Why is the state government's delay now at six and a half years and part of a one point six billion dollar overrun, And I'd suggest simon it's because this state.
Speaker 2: Government's priorities have been in other areas.
Speaker 15: Now the irony of this, I suppose the great irony of this is that one of those priorities has been Metraine. We know that no one would disagree. The state government wouldn't disagree. There's a ten billion dollar overrun on that. But here's the irony. They're building all of these trains, they are crowing about how popular they are or are going to be, and yet they are denying people the basic technology that would make experiencing those trains or using them that much easier and something that we would all expect now in twenty twenty five we'd be able to do, and we're told that it could be another year, year and a half, so it'd be an eight year delay in the end, an eight year delay to get this technology working.
Speaker 2: It's not good enough. Yeah, it wasn't lost in our listens yesterday, bas that's for sure. The other two highlights that Caroline Spencer Spencer mentioned yesterday was the technology around the high speed trains and the ability for signaling she reckons. That's a bigger one than the smart rider one. That's a big blowout. And the other ones you mentioned was the portal for the registry of firearms. On your listening tour, what are regional people saying to you about the gun buyback system and the actual portal.
Speaker 15: Yeah, well, there's no doubt, there is no doubt that this rollout has not been effective. It has not been efficient and has caused legitimate firearms owners difficulty in trying to comply with the new regulations. As you know, those regulations have now been sent via the numbers in the Upper House to a committee and so there will be a great examination of that those regulations to see if they can't be improved and made better and more user friendly to the people who they have captured in the wrong way. And there's been admissions from state government that they haven't got that right. The Police Minister has said that a number of times. I heard very clearly that responsible firearms owners feel as though they have been unfairly treated, that they've been caught up in the wrong way. And then even when trying to do the right thing, ie going onto the system, registering, doing all of the things that are asked of them, it is not an easy process and that's unfair on them because this was not intended to be a punishment to those people. It was intended to take those firearms that the wrong people have out of their hands. Now, there's no questioning the spirit of that. Nobody wants the wrong people to have more firearms in their hands, no one, But we want the responsible firearms owners to be able to do what they need to do.
Speaker 2: Speaking of committees that have been formed, it was a couple of weeks ago after the very sad death of a pedestrian in the city. I spoke to you, I think on the Monday and you you're urging calm. We don't need to have a knee jerk reaction here. The highest scooters were taken out of the city of Perth. You're all Patch and out of Vincent as well, with a benefit of a couple of weeks and then there has been a bipartisan parliamentary committee formed on these scooters. We told our listeners earlier this week that scooter Heart and and Scooterou too. The big shops in Perth are looking to close down and some have closed down already three weeks later. What's your thoughts on e scooters and what could be looming as a sort of the death of the black scooter, the ownership of them, and in particular how we're enforcing that they behave themselves to the writers.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I've always had a bit of an issue with scooters in densely populated pedestrian areas, being on the footpaths, and in those areas and for example the pay Street mall, where the technology should shut them down. In the case of the e writables, the ones that you hire Jagan Square for example, or Elizabeth Key, that is where there could be serious issues, and tragically we saw exactly that sort of event happen in the CBDA. I think the progression of this now to a committee to look at all of the factors is really sensible and really important. I do think the wrong thing to do be for a knee jerk reaction and just say ban them all, although I absolutely understand why people are almost at the end of their tether with the e writables that come around souped up writers not wearing helmets, and writers getting perilously close to other vehicles or two pedestrians, and so making sure the regulations and the enforcement of those regulations is tight and right is important. Now the committee might say. Ultimately, the committee might say, you know what, We've looked at it, and we've looked at other parts of the world, and in our view, they're dangerous and shouldn't be allowed. And if that's the case, then fair enough. I would understand that. But I think it's right that it gets the proper prosecution and examination through a committee of the Parliament of Western Australia, and that's what it's going to get.
Speaker 2: Thank you Basil's emphasis. Can we take some calls, Bazz, I'm going to call in wonderble three eight eighty two. Fionass simon another government priorities tourism, how tourism tourists meant to pay for fairy buses, et cetera without a smart rider? And John says, what about the much hyped and promised hospital and Yan chep why not take labor on on the cost overruns what they did in the backup of their promised hospital And John, that's interesting because that sort of goes to the train station out there as well. You build the infrastructure and then hopefully people will come. But I appreciate John and Fiona your your thoughts. Sixteen and a half minutes to ten o'clock more of Baz after these one double three eighty two. I'd liked to have a chat to Basil Zemplus today he's here to take your course. He's with us every Wednesday fortnight. I think one of the first things we did when I came back to the chair is bas and I had a chat when he was the Lord Mayor and we put it to the vote and the yes has had it?
Speaker 6: Was it yes?
Speaker 2: No question? Was here you are? Was it your first yes no question?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think it was thank you? And about thirty people said no, and you said that they were all all labor people. It was Daniel Pastorrelli on doc says, but how many were the yeses?
Speaker 17: Though?
Speaker 2: They were overwhelming with yeah, Well here I am. So it's pretty comprehenive obviously having you in one du three eight two if you'd like to give us a shout today. And another one of the topics we've covered extensively probably the last three months, Basil has been vaping, illegal vaping. We asked a question yesterday have vapes won the war on vapes? And it was an overwhelming yes. And I spoke to Cole Blanch yesterday and he said, well, it's not up to us to police vaping. We're not sending undercover cops into convenience stores. It's the health department. Have you got any thoughts on illegal vaping and do you think we've lost the war on them?
Speaker 15: Well, it does feel that way, it doesn't. I'll say this more as a dad than I do as the leader of the opposition. It does feel as though we're almost powerless and without sort of wanting to give too much away of weekend sports conversations in other parental groups. So I think there is a sense that kids at a certain time in their life are probably going to give that a go. Now, of course, as parents, you're always trying to educate your kids about the good things to do in life and the things that they should probably try and stay away from. But then also as parents, you're trying to build in those mechanisms, aren't you that if your kids might make some poorish decisions, they've got they've got some values to fall back on that ultimately will say well, I've had a bit of a go at that.
Speaker 2: That's no good. I need to move away.
Speaker 15: It is a real issue for our community, an issue for our society. I'm sure many people listening will go, well, this was the issue that we faced with our kids with cigarette smoking, and so it's probably not a lot different. It's probably not a lot different, but it is. It is there, There's no doubt, and it gets spoken a lot, a lot by parental groups.
Speaker 2: I know that I guess the point of sale thing interests me, and you know you. If you and I drove out to a domestic airport today, are out to a MinRes landing spot. Most people getting off the flight having a chill as soon as they get These are older people, right, these are mine workers, so that we're people are finding a way to buy them.
Speaker 15: I think what probably alarms us as people who would like to think we're able to influence how our state runs is the anecdotal conversations that we're here and here on talkback radio where oh that shop down there, everybody knows you can go in there and buy your vapes. And it always seems a bit weird, doesn't it when the talkback callers will tell you exactly where those stores are. The taxi drivers and the uber drivers will tell you. Probably many of the teenage kid cohort and slightly older will be able to tell you. Yet for whatever reason, we seem powerless to be able to stop it. Now we know we're not powerless because if a state government decides that is going to be a priority. They can crack down on it, and so I suppose ultimately it then does go back as cole Blant said, it goes back to health and ultimately the state government, and if they make a decision we're not going to allow that to continue. We're not going to allow the growth of that industry, the underground industry. Then they can do something about it. It's very clear in the Act what you can and can't do. But as you say, no one's doing anything about it. It's not a priority. Robin's found in Cada Robin.
Speaker 18: Oh, hello, both and Bowie. Now, I'm just looking at the first come buyas this is for an adult children, which I can't wait for them to leave home. But the stamp duty, they have a concession and it cuts out. They did raise it from the Grand Summer four thirty five to four point fifty. Now it's basically that it starts to cut down at five hundred. So there's not many houses in Perth for less than five hundred, as we're all aware, five hundred thousand.
Speaker 19: Sorry.
Speaker 20: And also the other issue that I've just looked, I've been looking.
Speaker 18: I'm reading this right now off of the latest.
Speaker 20: Print out there stamp Sorry, the medium house price in Perth and it's seven seventy five thousand. Threshold is the upper threshold where it cuts out totally. It's seven hundred thousand.
Speaker 2: So Robin, are you asking about You're saying there should be more concessions for or more concessions for concession card holds around stamp duty and downsizing or right sizing, whatever you call it.
Speaker 20: Yes, but also it could be even now the region our in the Perth region, the medium house bryce is seven to seventy five in the region it's five hundred and thirty five thousand, according that SI average.
Speaker 15: Yeah, all right, and so Robin's point is that those concessions are not really going to make much difference. You're just not going to be able to get into the market and enjoy the benefits of those concessions or even go from a big place to a small place. That's true now in terms of the first home buyers, we note that there was a concession available from the state government and at the last election the Liberal Party also took a platform with a concession. It was a bigger concession. But interestingly, Simon, there's an election coming up in South Australia in the not too distant future. They have started to outline their policies and the.
Speaker 2: Liberal just by the buy.
Speaker 15: The Liberal Party in South Australia has announced over the weekend abolishing stamp duty for first home buyers on existing properties of up to one million dollars. Now, I'm not saying that that is a policy specifically that the Liberal Party of Western Australia will take to the next election, but it is clear the sorts of leavers that and mechanisms that can be brought into being, and I think we would all agree on. Effectively, we're summarizing what Robin said, the concessions that are on offer at the moment don't help enough people. In fact that they almost don't help anyone because you can't get into the market for that price. And interesting that in South Australia in the lead up to an election a similar idea, but the number that they've come up with is up to one million dollars, and I would think that we're going to need to look at those sorts of incentives at that sort of scale if we're going to make a difference to first home buyers being able to purchase.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there is also an argument that first pumping throwing money at first home buyers doesn't necessarily help the overall position of not having enough stock for anybody. Thank you, Basil. This one here from Elizabeth. Hi Mary, we'll meet you the coffee club just realized and made a meeting point.
Speaker 15: See you shortly. I think that's kind of the wrong plart, wrong with the person. Yeah, I wonder which coffee club.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Have you got a favorite? Two favorites for me?
Speaker 15: One in Forest Place, yes, just off Forest Place, and the one at the Florid Form Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think there's Hazel goes to school out in the valley. There's a good one out in Ellenbrook. There's a lot of coffee clubs that very reliable, very life, very reliable. Thank you, Basil, well done. Thank you for having a chat to another Basil in or it's like you never left, you never left, Basil in all seriousness, When when can you get west Birth back at lead of Oval back when they need to?
Speaker 15: But we do play four games there a year, our away games against SUBI and against Ease Perth, and I've got to say they're my favorite West Perth fixtures of the year. Because going back there, I've taken Anthony a couple of times and so this is what it used to be. Like mate, how good is it West Perth playing and leedable and then a coffee or a yochi afterwards. We're a journal up now. That's been great for the club. That's been actually a huge part of our modern success. But the sentimentalists and the many people listening who remember West Perth at lead of all Overal, they were glory days.
Speaker 2: And imagine being in East Perth support like me and you haven't got an oval and having to walk in there, well you're old over you're a OVAL's rectangular now dead sick crook in the gut, so would hurt good you too? Thank you for coming in or seeing a fortnite good basils and plus the leader of the opposition, you voted for him to come back in and he'll be with us every fortnight. We've got a great story for you after ten. We have talked so many times about how bureaucracy treats people in a means brooded way. We've got a really nice story for you after ten, involving powers of attorney, an older lady who's unwell with dementia treated beautifully by the authority. Stay listening. Tp KC says in New Zealand, there's no stamp duty. Thank you Tom and Christine who always likes to put a couple of kisses on the her sms's thank you Christine. No flu here at an early flu shot to travel with work to treat so far. Jeff says, yes, I've had influides in influenza A ANDB. My wife was hospitalized with A and shared it with me, sharing his caring Thanks Jeff, have you had the flu this season? The yeses are eighteen and the nose thirty one at this stage. So lots of our listeners have have been crook stamp duty stamp dued. I think stamp duty is ridiculous to be charged once first bought property and peppery's peppery peppery auction should not be allowed unless the present houses. Christ there's only people on the high end that get the opportunity to buy thanks to that correspondent. So yeah, we talk about stamp duty a lot. And as Basil said, the trying to resolve the housing Cristi and it is massive in the regions. A lot of you know, a lot of regional operations, privates and public find it difficult to get housing for people and it's the probably the number one issue in regional w A is the housing shortage and it's complex, no one answer having it here from me, I've got a really nice, heartwarming story about how a government bureaucracy dealt with a woman yesterday who has advanced dementia. Stay listening. I'm Simon Benmont ten o'clock now.
Speaker 1: On Perth six PR. This is Perth Today with Simon Beaumont. Yeah, thanks for listening in. I'm Simon beau Mine. So we are here until one o'clock. I love to hear from you one double three, eight to eighty two. Thanks for all your correspondence. Have you had the flu this season? The nose are thirty one and the yeses are eighteen and they're coming in thick and fast from our listeners. Kylie says, I haven't had the flu, of had my flu shot. My extended family in the Pilberg all had the flu a few weeks ago. All said it was the most unwell I've ever been. Thanks Kylie, that's no good. Keith Keith Simon, wife and kids have had long colds, but when tested not out any of the three. I've only got a flu bax two weeks ago before they did simply a no for me. Thanks Keith, appreciate that, mate, and we would love to hear from you today.
Speaker 2: Have you had have you had the flu? Around double the number of cases we had to add this time last year in terms of Health Department numbers. Spoke to Clay Gollies and he says, well, a lot of flu. He's not captured in that data, so it's probably more so it's a bad flu season. Right eight minutes past ten, I'd love to hear from you today, still to come on the show. A number of allied health services that families can access through the NDIS through the National Disability Insurance Scheme might be under threat. So these are things like speak, speech pathology, OT physiotherapy services, et cetera. Because these little businesses haven't had an increase in their fees, their service fees from NDIS for six years. Bringing that story just a moment. Speech pathology in particular is incredibly important for people who live with a disability, whether their little kids learning to speak or whether they're adults. Speech pathology is right in the middle of all that. So we'll talk to a business owner in just a moment. The writings on the wall for a lot of businesses that receive money from the NDIS, and the fees haven't gone up for six years for these businesses, and they're feeling pretty disgruntled, and a lot of them are going to the wall. Cover that story in just a moment. And I wanted to say so many times here on this show and on other shows and six PR, we hear about bureaucracies and big systems and big government departments being mean to people and being bureaucratic with people. Well, we've got the opposite story right here this morning. I reckon. Amanda joins us. Now, Hi, Amanda at Simon, how are.
Speaker 9: You going great?
Speaker 18: Thanks?
Speaker 21: Simon?
Speaker 2: How are you going well? So I believe this happened yesterday, and this is involves a power of the powers of attorney meeting with SAT with stated administered tributleness, and it's worked out pretty well. Tell our listeners to what happened.
Speaker 21: Well, just my mum's been diagnosed with early dimentia, but it's progressing quite quickly. So, yeah, she's been assessed by the doctor and you know, they've concluded that she can no longer make financial another decision, so hence having to go down the road of appointing us and during power of attorney. So which men going to the SAT yesterday? And our whole fan like myself and my sister and two brothers and sister in law and yeah, and my niece came and my dad. So but it was a really pretty nervous about it. But it just turned out that the senior member that was on the bench yesterday, she just made my mom. She was so empowered, so respected. It was all about my mum, and it was just it turned out to what was could have been, you know, a bad situation. You know, we just left feeling as though, yeah, the senior member just did the best by our mum. And so yeah, I was really really pleased with the process.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's good, isn't it. So was there twelve that there was twelve of you?
Speaker 21: Yes? Yeah, yeah, the whole families turned up and we went what to expect because we weren't sure, like because you hear so many bad I guess that's why they have the SAT so that you know, not anyone can sign over the parents, you know, in during kind of attorneys if your parents are you know, yes, you know struggling. So yeah, I guess that's We weren't too sure why because we're all happy for my brother to be appointed that so we weren't too sure what, you know.
Speaker 7: What to expect.
Speaker 21: But yeah, it was just all about my mum and what she wanted and yeah, just my mom felt really respected and valued and she felt very specially important because the senior member just kept honing in on my mum and what my mom wanted and what made her happy and things like that. Well, yeah, it was really great.
Speaker 2: She's she was the most important person in the room. Can watch you watch your mum's name, Amanda, what's your first Margaret? Margaret? So Margaret got well looked after.
Speaker 8: Hey, yes she did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what do you do You get a sense that the senior member of the panel, it was the experience, was it her own personality? Was it her character? Is was it ultimately enduring power attorneys about all of that?
Speaker 21: Yeah, yeah, just all of that and just being able to focus in on where mum was at and just making sure that yeah, obviously she could see that the family unit that she's my mom's got is there, you know, we're all united and everything, but just still the way that she honed in on my mom. Yeah, and just really got a feel for who my mum was and everything. And yeah, she just really I felt like she was on our page and yeah, she was very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, interesting, and yeah, as you say, if twelve of you dudes turned up, I guess the panel members going, oh, well this is this is good.
Speaker 22: We're yeah, yeah, it.
Speaker 21: Wasn't, just like rather there. I know, it's quite a complex situation because it's a family farm involved and other bits and pieces, so it's not. It wasn't you know, totally straightforward. But yeah, we all it was. It wasn't. It is a bad situation, and we just left feeling it that it went really well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really nice to talk to you. Thanks for reaching out, and I'm glad it went well. That's good for your mum and good for you for you guys, for the whole family.
Speaker 21: Hey, yeah, and thanks for hearing my story.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Amanda. Cheers, Amanda. So that happened yesterday. Happy to take your calls on that. We do talk about bureaucracies being mean to people, systems being mean to people, you know, people falling through the cracks. We talk about those stories all the time. Just wonder how these things happened. Isn't that nice? An active kindness from the state of administive tribunal because of the senior panel leader focused on the job at hand and took note of what was happening and happy to take your call today. When people being nice to you? When's the system being nice to you? One double three A to eighty two is the is the phone number pub down in Frio of the week I left my I left my credit card on the floor, pub Dan and three hung on to it for me for a couple of weeks until I've worked out and backtracked what I'd done. Nice, nice, active kindness. People are good, aren't They? Mostly are people mostly good listeners. One double three A daddy two. Love to hear from you today. You know when people be nice and kind and good and caring compassionate to you or a member of your gang, give me shout talk back topic for you. One double three A daddy two You crooked.
Speaker 16: Oh mate, crook of a dog mate, trying to trying to do your work at work. If you lifting up a pen is like lifting up a dumbell you know, you just got no power at all just to just to a sertin the parget, just not not to the death.
Speaker 2: How long.
Speaker 16: Was eventually just like yesterday and then you try to you've had people at work, work in the conditioned office. Yeah yeah, just to catch around everywhere. But yeah, and I had the flu shop.
Speaker 2: Four weeks ago, so yeah, okay, all right.
Speaker 16: Just one other thing, Bobie in regards to like the rugby and or that, and the you know, not advertising on the paper and that I was actually watching the FIFA World Cup on Foxtoel last night. And how much promotion that the Queensland government has been doing for coming purvis the Sunshine Coast is absolutely insane. You know, it would be like every break that has been pumped into wa doors.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, thanks Stein. And that we'll probably see that on the coverage tonight if you so. The way the coverage works the state of origin, if you haven't seen it before, is nine free to wear have the rights and then all the other Foxes and KOs and all the streaming kicks in after the game's finished, so you will notice that. But I reckon you'll see some advertising for Perth because we've pumped some money into it, so you know the state government has pumped some money into this. It's a big deal getting state of origin. It's a really big deal, especially getting the second one when the series is still live and you know people are saying, well, is it just commercial rivalry? Yes it is, Yes it is. It's commercial rivalry. And you know, I've heard that the powers that be for NRL have been told quite clearly by the Boss you won't get any favors. Ain't going to get worse, You're not getting anything fast. One double three eight eighty two. Have you experienced a random act of kindness as evidenced by Amanda who took who took her mum Margaret with eleven of her family members into the State of ad Ministry of Tribunal yesterday as part of the process and was treated really well by the panel. That's good to hear it. I love to hear from you. One double three eight eighty two. Are there parts of the NDIS carb up which goes to end ancillary services, health services, physio speech pathology and the like. Are the businesses who provide these services running out of dough stay with us back in a second. Thanks listening love to hear from you today this lots of correspondence coming in from our listeners. Ken says, I had the COVID and the flu jab on the first of June. I've had the flu for the past two weeks, really bad. Sorry to hear that. Keno says, anyone help quickly by a state government must have some hooks somewhere in the system to help them. Come on, John, no need for that, mate, Steve says, Leech Highway backed up to tonquinhowan Q do our worlshipool traffic very very full on this one from me and great to hear that sat state of a ministry tribune and had a lot of empathy for the family, not like the state public trustee still doing some nasty stuff behind the scenes. Thanks, and I did see that story yesterday. Doesn't sound good, doesn't answers no flu for me, had the flu shot. We've been made aware of a story that affects some of the allied health providers who receive money from the NDIS scheme. And Rachel Lockridge joins us now she's the principal speech pathologist at Sunshine Speech Pathology joins me in the studio. Hello, Rachel Hi Simon, good to talk to you.
Speaker 23: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: So this has sort of been five or six years in a row that fees that are the carved out are n dies for cruise like yours, the fees of frozen have they?
Speaker 24: Yeah, So last week we got the twenty twenty four twenty twenty five price review from the NDIS which did put the recommendation in that the cost of services would be frozen for about the six year in a row. So we have not received any price increases in line with CPI, considering we've got rising operational expenses and we're also contending with the rising cost of living. Okay, but to also add to that, a couple of the allied health providers that we work alongside have also taken massive decreases in what they can build.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just leading into the MIC a little bit more racily, if you will. Thank you. So this is dietitian psychologists, physios and guys like you speech pathologists. So the six year and what's the bottom line there? What does it mean to your business? Seventy five percent of your business comes from indos. What does it mean for your business?
Speaker 24: It means that given that the prices I need to pay to operate my business. They're increasing. It's making small businesses like mine less sustainable.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 24: Yeah, and there's a really high risk of other people clothing.
Speaker 2: Other people going to the wall. So you have written to I know you've written it's about every politician in this state and federal to make some noise about this. Do you have any support politically do you think and is it Australia wide?
Speaker 24: This is Australia wide. One of the responses we had was a very generic correspond to it didn't really give us any support. I have written to my local MPs and a few people are beginning to write back in say they're listening, But we haven't had any significant support as of yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so at this stage it's not necessarily impacting. So people who work with me here have family members who require provide NDIS funding and provision health provision. A couple of them work really closely with me, and they and these are adults that we're talking about, they're kids necessarily, So our listeners, the citizens and pundas listening out there, they might not necessarily know about this. As far as they know that they've got a service, they can access, but the businesses behind it are hemorrhaging.
Speaker 24: We are hemorrhaging. And if we continue to hemorrhage, there are a number of businesses I know who they've already let staff go because they were having to choose between putting food on their own table or paying their staff. And that's not a decision anyone should have to make. And also if that happens and business start to close, there's going to be longer wait lists, which means the accessed early intervention is going to dwindle and more people are at.
Speaker 2: So for a speech pathologist, you're a mobile service and you operate sort of mostly north of the river. Are you who your biggest client base? Is it parents providing speech pathology early intervention for the kids? Is it adults? Is it ongoing?
Speaker 6: What is it?
Speaker 11: So?
Speaker 24: My case load range is between two years old to about seventeen years old, and I'm anywhere between homes, daycarees, schools, and community visits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, And the fact that you've had a price freeze and you're facing another one for another year at least another year, means that your business is now in a parlor state. Yes, yep. And is that what the physios are saying, the dietitians, the sights are saying as well.
Speaker 24: Everyone everyone is feeling the pressure now, and we're all kind of rallying together to try and get this decision revoked because this falls apart the only people who are going to be left in the position of needing more help for the kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This is Rachel Lockridge, principal speech pathologists from Sunshine Speech Pathology. A lot of my predecessors who've sat in this chair Rachel, have spoken about the NDIS and I've listened. In broad terms, it seems it's oversubscribed. It's an incredibly popular federal government initiative, but we often hear about the difficulty in accessing services back of house, you know, the people wanting to spend all them make sure they get their allocation, their annual allocation, trying to spend it as best they can it can be for gardening, cleaning, speech pathology, whatever. So it would seem that the landing of NDIS is still far from perfect.
Speaker 24: Absolutely still far from perfect. There's a long way to go. The NDIS. The whole kind of point of the system was to build capacity and build independence. And if we're taking away opportunity for us to engage with our participants. We're just going to send the system backwards and there's going to be more dependent and more pressure on the public health and education systems as well.
Speaker 2: Could you, as a business owner and as a smart business owner, can you adjust your mix and move away from NDIS provision and keep your mobile service going, but moving to a different parts of the sector.
Speaker 24: I can definitely take on more privately paying clients. However, given the cost of living, that's really hard for people to access at the moment. And given that I'm in the pediatric world, a lot of my clients do you come through with diagnoses such as autism, young syndrome, cerebral palsy. So most of my clients are in the disability background, and that's where my specialty is.
Speaker 2: By sure, it is harder for me. And you know, it's not glib to s or dumbing down to say those they are people who struggle to speak and articulate and communicate an that's that's obvious, and so that's it's a service that's required. If you had a magic wand now you've got the letter out there, hopefully the letter people listening to the noise you're making. If you had a magic wand what would you say to the end, to NDIS or that all that or the minister running it, I.
Speaker 24: Would say, please revoke your decision to have travel funding and impact people regionally and rurally. Please revoke your decision to cut costs for physios dietetic psychologists. And please increase our billing rate to be in line with CPI so that we can meet our bottom lines.
Speaker 2: All right, because as you say, if you guys start going under start doing other work, that puts even more pressure on what is an oversubscribed system as it is. Yep, Yeah, all right, Rachel, thank you very much for coming in. Anything else I need to know or our listens need to know, we miss anything.
Speaker 24: Just if you can make noise as well, The more noise we make, the more opportunity we have for the NDAA to hear us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, thanks for coming in, Thanks having chat to us. Thank you so much, Well done. Rachel Lockridge, Principal speech pathologist at Sunshine Speech Pathology. So talking to Seannann about this. My two colleagues here, they have family members that require services, health services as provided and funded by the NDEs and it's not using and accessing the system. And we now have a situation where some of these businesses will go to the wall unless they get a greater carve up out of the ndies because they're simply not meeting their operational costs. I'd love to hear from you one double three A two if that is the case, if you are a user of NDIS and I know Gaza and Bartlett and predecessors here have covered this subject ad nauseum, but happy to hear from you. That's the latest six years their fees have been frozen and these businesses will start to go to all the wall. Thank you for listening in. We'll come back after this break. Lindsey Jetton will join us. We want to talk in laws Lindsay for various reasons, because she's working with us. It's been for us to move back in with the in laws for a couple of nights. Going to talk in laws next one double three eight touty two. Give us a call.
Speaker 25: Good news, Elliot bus breakdown the spectacles Quanana northbound to Thomas Road has been clear. Things moving well. Quanana northbound a little bit slow still around that area including ancoratel Road, the Graham Farmer underspeed eastbound and be aware of some localized flooding through Rong Road and the Welshpool area.
Speaker 2: I'm Rob bver on Perth Traffic Leader six b are asking the question today have you had the flu? Yes or no? The yeses are nineteen the nose of thirty three. We are over double the amount of cases presented and recorded and captured by the Health Department for this time of the year as compared to last year. Lisa Gooday, Lisa Morning, Simon and team. I have never had the flu. Shop only had two COVID vaccines which were bully. This is having by Messiah mcgout McGowan. I can't remember the last time I had a cold or flu. I was born with immune system which I look after and I have two minute cold showers every day. Thanks Lisa, I remember you and knew cold showers. Lisa, I am sure why you do that when you've got to have a warm one. But anyway, and thanks Lise, no flu for me, had the flu sh and thank you very much. Lots of correspondence today on this notion of Allied Health Services and Silly Health Services having a freeze on their fees from the ndaaes over the last six years. I'll get to that in just a moment. Lindsay gent and Lindsay Brennan formerly known as Lindsay Brennan is with me now, Lindsay, you've been forced to move back with the in laws for one night only.
Speaker 23: Yeah, not quite.
Speaker 26: I had a sleepover last night, and i'd like to start this conversation in case they're listening. I love my in laws, They're very good to me. But yeah, I came into work with you this morning. As you know, we start very early, and so I had a sleepover last night because my husband's away. Baby daughter needed someone to look after her, so rather than me dropping her off at five am this morning, we stayed the night.
Speaker 2: Okay, And so you so the in laws you do like them, Yes, we get on very well when they first met you when you were the girlfriend.
Speaker 23: Yes.
Speaker 26: So the last time I had a sleepover at their house was very early in our relationship, when I was just the girlfriend, and you know that was fine. But I haven't slept her for quite a few years. And last night, with my husband away, I had dinner with them. It was lovely and then I got into bed which, funnily enough, their spare room is now my husband's old childhood room.
Speaker 23: And I was lying there thinking, is this a bit weird? And as much as I do.
Speaker 2: Get on well with them, what's the protocol? Did you say good night to them and shake their hands and give them a cuddle.
Speaker 23: Yes, we said good night, and then I sort of said, oh, well, i'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: As the wife, as the daughter in law with a baby.
Speaker 23: Yes, exactly. So it was fast asleep at this point. It was all good. But it was very funny because they have an intercom system in their house.
Speaker 2: I have an intercom with.
Speaker 23: Fabulous for the boy.
Speaker 26: They have three boys, so growing up yelling at them, you know, dinner's ready, kids, come down the hallway whatever.
Speaker 23: Great system.
Speaker 26: Last night I was lying in bed and at two am when my daughter started making noises, I suddenly hear around me.
Speaker 7: Shhh.
Speaker 23: It was my mother in law trying to settle.
Speaker 2: The baby buy the intercom via.
Speaker 23: The terrified me a little bit because I was half asleep.
Speaker 2: But he thought someone was in a room with you.
Speaker 23: Yeah, but also maybe a good method.
Speaker 26: So anyway, it got me thinking, I wonder what our listeners think as well, you know, how much time do you spend with your in laws? And do you spend time with them without your partner there? Because I realized we haven't spent a whole lot of time without Tim, my husband being there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And sometimes people if they do part ways, they maintain the in laws, they get the in laws in the custody battle.
Speaker 27: Yeah.
Speaker 26: And I've had friends who have you know, struggled to break up with their partners because they love their in laws so much that they want to stay.
Speaker 23: A part of that family.
Speaker 2: I'd love to hear from me one, double three eight et e two. The intercom is the funny bit dayy work.
Speaker 23: She went back to sleep.
Speaker 2: If Lindsay in laws are listening, Lindsay loves you, I love you by association and yeah, the intercom is funny ringing today. How's your relationship with your in laws?
Speaker 7: Is it weird?
Speaker 2: Is it funny? Do you spend time with them on your own? Love to hear from you today. Thank you, Lindsay, Thank you for helping us out today, in laws. Thank you to your in laws as well. And Barclay's away today. She's getting little baby Simone checked out. Thanks Lindz. Yeah, you're in laws. How do you get on with your in laws any good? Do they have an intercom? And do they attempt to placate and pacify your baby when it's stirring of a nighttime? Your relationship with your in laws? One at double three eighty two ring in if you call her the day today you win a double pass to see the terror Cotta Warriors there at Boulevard Dip from the twenty eighth of June right through until February next year. How good one of China's and one of the world's cultural treasures is coming to Perth, the terror Cotta Warriors. You might have seen the billboards around the city and we've got a double bassket way today as cauller of the day, How do you get on with your in laws? Folks? Give me a shouts? Did you keep them in the custody battle? Do you're not get in with your gone? Do you not get on with your in laws? One double three eight eighty two. Brendan says, we're expecting our kids to start education at an early age, so pediatric services need to be supported. Yeah, I heard the story with Oli yesterday Brendon about the kids turning up the school not ready to go socially and Brendan. To be fair, these are kids with autism, kids with who might be have a down syndrome condition or some syndrome that means they do need speech pathology. Thanks mate. Good to hear from you. David says, I haven't had the flu. Shot, haven't had the flu. My daughter does have the flu, as does most of her school. Thank you David. Cheers mate, No flu this year or last is Raylen? Thank you Raylen. So we're keeping itally on this today. Have you had the flu and nose of thirty seven? The yeses are nineteen Joan, no, and I've never had the flu. Vaccine vaccine, do not intend to get it. Herbicides reduce your resistance to viral infections. We have a very long dry spell with lots of spraying being done. Thanks Joe. Yeah, maybe he gets a bit histamini and a bit dusty and polony, doesn't it at certain times of the year. Good call. One double three eighty two. Had to get on with your in laws. Love to hear from me today. Lindsay's in laws put a baby back to sleep using an intercom last night. How about that? One double three eight two re Swheetby's in the news today. It looks like this biggest gas fired power plant we're talking about this on the show before It is called NuGen. It's down in Quanana and it was close to receiving a bailout last year of thirty mil Is it going under? Is the new jen power plant down at Quanana going under? Tony's phone the program, Hello Tony, Hello.
Speaker 8: Simon, Hey mate. Yeah, I've got a funny one for you. The words for mother in law in Croatian, when literally translated, means guilty for everything.
Speaker 2: Oh, so, can you give me the word? How do you say it? In Croating? Guilty and guilty for everything means that's okay? And they they make you feel guilty or they feel guilty about everything.
Speaker 8: Well, no, they're guilty for everything. So like you start washing dishes and your wife says to you, why are you washing dishes like that? Oh my mom taught me. Oh yeah, she's guilty for ever for that, you know, folding clothes and stuff like that. Oh yeah, she's guilty for that. So guilty for everything I do.
Speaker 2: I do remember being pinged when I was married about how I was pegging clothes out on the line, guilty for everything time. Yeah me too, Yeah me too. I thought, well I've picked them out like this for thirty five years and they're dry guilty. Cheers mate, thank you. One double three atty two year in laws Lindsay Jett and moves home for one night so she can work with us this morning and gets the baby calm down via the intertacom. We love Lindsay's in laws. One double three a totty two. You'd like to give us a shout today when we come back the new gen power plant down in the Krona Industrial Strip. Is it still teetering on the brink? Stay listening? Peter raised is a good point. He sent in an SMS to us today. Get Apete Pete says, I'm a regular attendee of Waffle Games. The official program. The budget cost three bucks this year, which is twenty twenty five seed, and it's nothing more than a list of teams for each of the respective clubs. The information providing the budget publication in previous years had fixtures results, leading goalkickers, possession, get us feature articles, umpires, club events. Funk is no longer being provided. I've queried the absence of this information with the marketing division of the Footy Commission or I understand irresponsible for the publication of the budget varying among a number of times, and no response has been forthcoming. Not good enough, Peter. I noticed that I went a couple of weeks ago to see East Perth play West Perth on the Monday, and the budget is has reduced significantly. So my understanding, we might try and get this clarified for you. It became too expensive for the Footy Commission to publish. They had excess numbers. They were either trying to get the numbers right and they're either underproducing or overproducing. That's been difficult. But producing the budget in its previous form has become too expensive, I think, Pete. So I know that Tracy Lewis and Sean Cowen have been previous editors, and Sean in particular, who loves waffle. He was always the bolk who was putting in historic pieces, stories about memorabilia and the like, which made it such a good read. But you're right, mate, it's just a team sheet now, isn't it. So it costs three bucks you used to cost your fifteen dollars to get into the waffle and he had a budget included, but it is now something I think you have to buy separately, So it is it's a real shame. And as I said earlier in the show, today often you go to games only five hundred people there, so you know, and it's still something that's covered widely and broadly by by media groups other than ours. You know, we talk about the waffle all the time because it's in our blood. But yeah, Pete, the budget is a shadow of its former self. We might try and find Sean Cowen or one of the previous editors if we can. Coming up after eleven o'clock, Lou Roe will join us from the RSPCA and we have an exclusive story for you, an incredible story of animal cruelty, sadly involving a Gosnell's home, and Lou will get us across that after eleven o'clock today when she comes in, Kayi says, virus mess. I'm an adult speech pathologist. It is cruel to expect frail adults with permanent disabilities, bedbound, palliative, et cetera to travel to businesses. The travel feed cut will hurt everyone, and clients who live further away will not be accepted. There won't be a wait list, they just will not get services. Spoken with two physios this week, both now reducing or cutting out in THEOS clients. You speak up, says Katie, so backing what Rachel had to say a little bit earlier on, we'll speak to Chris Alten in just a moment about the new gen power, the power generated down on the Karna Strip. News to hand that last year Reese Whitby was looking to bail out the projects with a thirty million dollar payout or gift, but it didn't happen. So this is still really teetering on the on the brink, and this is this is power provided to industry. We talked to Chris in just a second. The program good a Matthew.
Speaker 28: I just thought i'd let you know know how w w OI are coming in October to Perth. The prices for the people who bought the Priority pass who paid five hundred and fifty dollars YEUS. The prices started at five hundred and thy dollars US to fourteen thousand years for the tickets for the event. And that doesn't include the raw and SmackDown event. That just includes the Crown Jewel event. Those people will have to be very careful when they're purchasing their tickets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's by But where isn't it, Matthew? So do you reckon people will pay that amount? Are there people fans with that deeper pockets? Will they pay?
Speaker 28: Unfortunately, those people who paid the deposit are sort of in trouble. I was like that last year. I went with that company last year thinking that I wouldn't get anywhere and not knowing the costumes. And this year I'm a bit more wiser and haven't done that. But it's a lot of money twenty two thousand dollars just for a ticket and to go backstage and to meet two wrestlers.
Speaker 2: Yeah sure, yeah, it's show.
Speaker 28: ISOBR without accommodation?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, all right mate. Thanks letting us know, Matthew. So be where if you are buying a pricey ticket for SmackDown and Raw in October, just be aware what you're buying. Make sure you know what you're getting for that layout because that's a fair bit of day, isn't It's thirteen minutes to eleven o'clock. What's happening with a new gen plant down in the Quanana Industrial Area and did it nearly get a bailout of thirty mil last year from Energy Minister Rees Whitby. Chris Alton is an industry consultant and a former director on the Quanana Industries Council.
Speaker 9: Today, Chris, what excitement.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you again. What are you hearing about new Gen? Is it teetering?
Speaker 11: Is it?
Speaker 2: Mate?
Speaker 9: Look, I haven't heard much at all about what's going on behind the scenes with new Gen. I don't understand why it would be teetering because it's supplying a large amount of electricity into the into the into the grid, which is absolutely essential for industry. So look, I wouldn't want to speculate on why it's attracting that that that level of intervention, however, looks cannot Can I say that that the Swiss the Southwest Interconnected system that supplies the electricity into the Quanana Industrial Area in Western Trade Coast and Perth is in dire need of a major, major, major investment. Currently, Western Palace focus is on building going to be building the transmission from the Midwest green electricity that's wind and solar to replace Collie. That's their focus. That doesn't. That doesn't mean that the Quanana grid will be the part of the grid and Quanana delivering the interesting will be any more stable than it is today. And it's not particularly stable. So the whole that whole grid system is quite vulnerable at the moment.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, we don't have the story. We just I know Dan Mercer has the story. He's he's a good fellow at a good journal, Dan. But new gen is important, isn't it. And as you say, mostly for industrial supply, for commercial supply, And it's news to us that maybe re Sweepy is the Energy Minister put it to government we needed to bar this out, So it does seem that he's concerned about it as well.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, if it's in trouble, it needs to be fixed. That's that's that is the bottom line, and let's get on with doing that. But the bigger picture needs also to be addressed. And I know that there are a full disclosure. I'm on the board of a couple of renewable energy companies, one of which is trying to get wind power into the industrial area. The bureaucracy that is blocking or not being supportive of these new energy renewable energy sources coming into the industrial area is quite it's almost depressing. It's very very hard to get decisions made, and these decisions could be so easily made. And the wind turbine project isn't a big project. It's very very innovative. The money seems to go to the big players who can really they've got the balance sheets to be able to afford to do this work themselves. Innovators coming in that we need to be supporting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you know my backgrounds in local government and we're hearing the opposite in the regions. You know that it's the absolute red carpet, the green light. Here you go, you know, going to nar angerup, build turn and fifty wind turbines will help you out. It does seem to be different if it's in the metro area or at near Coburn Sound or in Quanana because the country ships it's here we go. Is the is the red carpet? Go for your life?
Speaker 9: Yeah. It's like being the ball in a game of tennis with you know, and it's double so you've got four parties whacking the ball around, but nobody you just can't seem to break through and get a decision to say yes, you have approval even if you know me meeting all the environmental conditions down the way, but nobody is taking it up and saying, yes, this is something we should be supporting. You know, if industry doesn't decarbonize in terms of meeting government policy and customer requirements for the for the products that are manufactured, if they can't decarbonize, they can't sell their products or they can't sell them competitively. This is not a choice that industry is facing.
Speaker 17: It is.
Speaker 9: It is a fact that they have to decarbonize. I mean, you take the large companies that are producing a lot of c AT carbon dioxide emissions. They're trapped or captured within the safeguard mechanism, and that says that into the future, starting last year, these companies have to reduce their emissions by four point nine per year on year. That means the well, the only way they can do that, essentially is to get green electricity because they're relying on coal electricity and gas electricity, which isn't green by the way, sorry Meg. So if they can't do it, they're in breach of the policy. And I know one of the companies on the Strip is looking at curtailing production in order to meet did some mission reduction targets? Now that is such a perverse outcome. Yeah, that's a good reality that industry is facing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that counterintuitive, isn't it.
Speaker 9: The new gen must stay in operation even though it's gas, which is what they call blue electricity. New gen stay in the mix as we as we move through this transition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Chris, always good to talk to you. Thank you for your time.
Speaker 20: You're welcome.
Speaker 2: Timon cheers mate, Chris on my little screen. It's got Chris from Willard. So I think Chris sometimes calls used to call us a took caller. Chris out and industry consultant, former in Quanana Industry Council directors. So Dan Mercer has the story today, Dan, the new gen that rees Whitbee as the energy Minister are attempted to ballot out thirty million bucks of our money. Again, this vexed issue of you know, transitions to and net zero is what we're calling it. We're hearing that in the country that wind farms in particular in proliferation, little councils are dealing with multinationals trying to make sure they get a good deal for the community and get some extra lectucity in their own grid. In the meantime, that's the wind farms at Quanana seem to be getting knocked back. And you know, the breeze does blow through Quanana through there, the sea breeze does come in. Love to hear from you today. Anything you like the new Gen power generator which is gas powered. He puts three hundred and ten megawats into the grid and it's teetering. Apparently it's teaching on the brink financially. Back in just a moment, Have you had the flu this season? The yeses at nineteen the nose a thirty nine. Yeah, thanks listening in. It's three minutes to eleven o'clock. Thanks for all your correspondents on the price freeze if you like, or the fee freeze for the NDS ancillary health providers. A lot of correspondents coming in, very thoughtful correspondence, Lara says Gade Lara, Thank you. The NDIS price cuts are going to disadvantage the most vulnerable in our communities who are either unable to travel for service or find it extremely difficult to do so. If you suddenly had a disability which can happen to anyone. Wouldn't you want a therapist to come to your home to provide the correct shower commode fit rails correctly assess for sus suitability for power wheelchair. I prescribe positioning systems using your bed. How can therapists do what's best for the participants they work with if they are not able to observe the person in the natural environments. So I'm assuming Lara is in the industry. We cannot keep absorbing the travel costs, so the most vulnerable we will be most affected. One double three two is the is the phone number? Bowie, you're talking about the lack of coverage from our local paper for the state of origin. In two weeks in the twenty eighth we have the Lions Tour starting in Perth, one of the biggest tours in Union, and we only get it every twelve years. It'll be interesting to see what coverage gets. Thank you to that correspondence appreciated. Bookmark this message from Ryan Ryan, you are nothing if not persistent libertarian Ryan, or enjoy your correspondence. Bookmark this message Simum net zero and this energy transition to wind and solar as a scam. It defies practical reality. It is not environmental, It is not environmental, not sustainable and not economic. Thanks libertarian Ryan. As I sometimes say Ryan on the show, I'll always take advice from people who are smarter than me, and the people are smarter me saying we do. We are facing climate change, We're going to eventually run out of fossil fuels, and we're well placed in w a in aminustrated to take advantage of the amount of sun and when we have so rock. Thanks Ryan, you make me laugh sometimes, Mate, I know you don't mean so.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The smart guys are saying, you know, we need renewable energy. That's that is the future. I appreciate everyone's points of view on all of this hits. We've feels like it's been foisted on us and forced upon us, doesn't it? No no doubt about that. Luis Roe will join us from the RSPC eight. She has a couple of special guests and once again sadly lou will bring us in a story of astonishing animal cruelty in the suburbs. Stay listening.
Speaker 1: On Perth six PR This is Perth Today with Simon Beaumont.
Speaker 2: Thanks listening. Today they start a little mini war with Ryan the Libertarian, who I enjoy his correspondents very much. He's unrelenting and he's always hard at the ball. Jim Ryan makes you laugh. They say, you take the advice of those who are smarter and you Ryan fits the category. Maybe Jim, but he's unrelenting and a good man for staying on the course that matters to him. Yes or no? Have you had the flu this season? The yeses are nineteen and the nose are forty two. I think we're going to talk to the RSPCA. Max's going to talk to Lude. Here we go, here we go, any second hour, you got it? Maybe it's been maybe one of the cats has done something to your intro. Loo. Hello, Louise, I can sing if you want. Good to see you. Yeah, thanks for coming in. We're going to get to this. Unfortunately, often when you and I talk, the breaking news stories are horrific on animal cruelty, to get one in gosnels in just a moment, and the numbers are staggering. But Kaylee's here as well. Kaylee's been a faithful RSPC, a employee, and you've got a couple of guests who you've got here, Luke.
Speaker 29: Yeah, so Kaylee's joined me in studio today to help me wrangle these two little qtis. We have eleven week old kittens, brothers Bert and Ernie. They are very very cute, but you know, they're eleven week old kittens, so they want to get out and explore and everything.
Speaker 2: Very active.
Speaker 29: Yeah, they're currently available for adoption, but as a bonded pair, so you will need to take both because they yeah, they're very attached to each other.
Speaker 30: They've been with us since they were two weeks old.
Speaker 29: They've found astrays, so they were fostered and now they're ready to be adopted. And really we've really pushing our cat adoptions at the moment because we've got room for around one hundred cats. We've got ninety seven and there are I hear eleven coming in from the one property today. We really need to move some of our cats out. We've got them from all ages, from this young right up through till twelve year old Tuppants, who is a delightful black cat that was a very quiet home.
Speaker 30: So people are in the market. Head to the RSPCA WA website.
Speaker 2: These two are incredibly active Kaylee has that one's Ernie, isn't it?
Speaker 6: Is that?
Speaker 2: What's that's Ernie? They don't look like brothers.
Speaker 29: No, it's not unusual for letters of kittens to look vastly different to each other. Yeah, it's just really common. So just for people playing along at home, is black and white and Ernie is a tabby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, beautiful. Yeah, they're both very cute and they are full bore. They're like two little hand grenades of fur and fluff. Aren't they so cute?
Speaker 18: Though?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are extremely cute. So they are available. Go to the RSPCA website. Katie, nice to meet you, and thanks for coming in, Kayleie is having to wrangle the right word, and that's what that's saying. Comes from hurting kittens, hurting cats. These these are the poster child for that phrase. Exactly one double three eight eighty two. If you'd like to have a chat to Lou today, we will talk about the service that the RSPCA provide. Lou's given me a sheet of a four paper. It's a new media release. I don't think you would have heard this information anywhere else. Mother and Sons plural. Lou charged with cruelty against cats and chickens.
Speaker 30: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 29: So a fifty three year old woman and her two sons aged twenty five and twenty two have each been charged with fifteen counts of animal cruelty. Background story, We got a report back in February saying that a member of the public had seen many cats living in appalling living conditions in the backyard of a Gosnell's house. So our inspectors went out there actually saw thirty eight cats and kittens. They were confined to cages and pens of all different sizes, some stacked on top of each other or through the property. I've seen the photos. You just I don't know how people walk past this day after day. But so much excrement and you know, yeah, no food and diarrhea, diarrhea everywhere, just the most appalling conditions. The hens were just so skinny. Their water bowl was filled with dried sticks, is what our inspector is reporting. So yes, the three of them have been charged and they will face the Armadelle Magistrates Court next month.
Speaker 2: All right, So this is as lucid fifty three old woman to sons twenty five and twenty two, thirty eight cats in the one house and four chickens, and just reading further down your release, and there's quite a bit of detail about the about the how unkempt the house was, and the mess and the feces and the urine and the diarrhea or all that. It's not for the faint hearted. The animals had gastro intestinal illnesses, infections, dental disease and poor body condition. Right across the thirty eight cats and the four Isler brown hens inside a large coupe now fundamental toilist loo is RSPCAU will allege the female It will be accused of operating a profit bridden driven commercial business of selling these cats.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 29: So to Kitna far yeah, she was or is sorry a registered cat breeder, and all of the cats were what may be termed as desirable breeds, so rag dolls and Russian blues which fetch a pretty penny.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 2: So the maximum penalty here is for animal Cruelly's fifty grand fine and you can cop some prison time as well. Is one of your old jobs used to work for corrective services?
Speaker 6: I need?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And they go to Armadale magistrates called on twenty fifth of July. What's your job from here. What's RSPCA's job from here.
Speaker 29: So our inspectors who picked up this case and went out there, they complete their investigation and then determine whether charges are warranted, which obviously in this case they did so then they work with our legal team and it gets to this stage and the people are actually charged, and then from here on in obviously our legal team is in court and you know, showing all the evidence and talking about the alleged defenses and yeah, then it's up to the magistrate whether they're found guilty and what the penalty is.
Speaker 30: The magistrate decides.
Speaker 2: That our commander in chief of social media operations, Tony's in this year and the cats are quiet and down. Your cat whispered to.
Speaker 30: Look at this, Yeah, look at you to eleven week old kitten stadium.
Speaker 2: I don't think the dog would appreciate it. Did amazing story. Thirty eight cats in one house, the home of registered breeder. Why why do the boys get charged as well if she's a breeder?
Speaker 29: Because they all lived in the house and they were all aware of the conditions. This is what will be alleging and therefore they are all responsible and they and I don't want to say, it's still before the courts at the moment, but in evidence, in some of the things that all three said to our inspector, we will allege that or three did take responsibility.
Speaker 2: The culpability allegedly. Lou it didn't escape my attention that you said there's eleven more cats coming into the RSPCA this morning. Is that also from a case week where you'll be having a look at that on criminal grounds?
Speaker 29: Too early to say, yeah, I don't know, it will be from an inspector, but as I say, from there, they're the ones that will carry out the investigation. They're the ones that have the under the Act to take things forward or not. So yeah, I'm not aware of the circumstances of that one.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Lou Well answered like a professional, like a politician, like a politician, like a pro. We'll come back in a moment. Fifteen and a half minutes past eleven. Can you believe that, as lu said, how do people walk past this? How do people walk past this stuff with gi illness, poor body condition and just filth and squalor? How do people keep managing to do this? Thank God for the RSPCA. We'll come back sixteen minutes past eleven, and Lou and I will remind you how you can adopt a kitten ninety seven at the moment, Yeah, not all.
Speaker 30: For adoption, but yeah, we have ninety seven in care at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, thanks Lou. Back in a sec Lou Roe is with us from the RSPCA. Thank you for listening. This is from Carol Lou, one of our correspondents, and it's Ka Rhyl. Hello Carol, So please ask Lou why people found guilty of animal cruelty banned for owning pets for two to five years, why not for life?
Speaker 29: There we go, that's a question for the individual magistrates. Short answer is I don't know. But it's RSPCA WA that has the power to charge and to bring these people before the court and we argue the case as best we can, but then it's up to the individual magistrate to decide on the penalty which is available to them under the Act.
Speaker 30: And Carol's right. We have had a few cases where people have.
Speaker 29: Been banned from owning animals for the rest of their life, but it is pretty standard to hear five year ban, ten year ban, that kind of thing. But yeah, unfortunately I don't have a straight ad, so it's up to the individual magistrate in each individual case what they decide the penalty is.
Speaker 2: Yep, I've asked you this the last three times you've been in. You've been you're going to get some budget money for some more inspectors. When do those boots hit the road?
Speaker 29: So we already have a lot of new trainee inspectors, which is great because for safety reasons, all of our inspectors now work in pairs, so we've had to do quite hefty recruitment. And yeah, it's going really well. The system's working really well, traveling to regional areas on a frequent basis.
Speaker 30: And yeah, the new funding kicks in one July.
Speaker 2: Okay, good luck, Thanks good luck. Lou Rosewis. If you want to ring in, you can one double three eight to two. Just to go back on to there have been some changes to the laws around the Dog Act and the cad Act. We know a couple of pet shops have closed down. You and I've talked about this at length. I've talked to Melkriddle, our vet about this as well. So the new laws under the new Westralian cad Act all cats six months old and must be sterilized, Lou Michael Schulden registered with their local government, not with the RSPCA. How's that going. What are you hearing? Because we did hear there's been some problems with the registration system, with the database.
Speaker 29: Yeah, I just you know, hear stuff. As you say, we don't administer it. I think people do get a bit frustrated, depending on which local government area they live in at.
Speaker 30: How strongly those laws are enforced. That that is the law though.
Speaker 29: They have to be sterilized, micro chipped and registered. And even if you only want to breed one letter from your cat, you have to register as a breeder.
Speaker 2: I was going to say that that's that new information RECEP. It's only one letter, you still need to register as a breeder. And if it's just one yeah, all right. And a lot of this is around shire's and local government and you know, rangers and part of the local government systems should be looking after all of this. Well, have you heard anything, either anecdotally, loo or otherwise about the fact that this registration's portal is being delayed?
Speaker 29: I have heard as much as anyone else has. You know, Hannah Beasley came out and said that state government had parted ways with the company that was contracted to establish centralized registration system rather than each LGA holding their own records.
Speaker 30: That's all I know.
Speaker 2: You know, that's fine. We are hearing the same and probably reading the same media reports that you are, Lou And again we talked to Melkriddle about it as well. You've got a community Action Day tomorrow and one in July, in one in August. Tell us about those.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 29: So a lot of people know RSPCA WA for the kinds of cases that we've been talking about, so animal cruelty. They know that we rescue animals. They know that we have a shelter in Malagar and they can come and adopt pets from us. What a lot of people don't know is all of the community outreach stuff that we do. We're not a big stick organization except when we absolutely have to be. Our inspectors and our other staff are all supremely compassionate and work with pet owners as much as possible to try and help them educate them. And Community Action Days are just one of the practical outreach programs that we do. We tend to hold them in lower socioeconomic areas, people who are struggling, can come along and judgment free.
Speaker 30: Don't have to give us reasons why.
Speaker 29: They can come along and get free dog and cat food, free flea and worm treatments. Dogs can be health checked. We've got trainers there to give advice, and you can get free micro chipping as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah cool. Now, just watching the Burtnernie in action here. So Tony's coming and as completely plicated. That's bird I think, isn't it. That's right, that's birds. And to you, Tony, how you going Katie with yours?
Speaker 31: Are you?
Speaker 2: Are you sure you're working in the right profession?
Speaker 23: What's going on here?
Speaker 30: He is intrigued.
Speaker 29: He's loving the six PR logo going on and off the big TV screen. So I think we maybe need to put one of those up in our catgory to keep the cats entertained.
Speaker 30: Yeah.
Speaker 29: So, just for people who might be in need of any of those free things that I just mentioned, they can head along to the Anthony Warren clubrooms in Clarkson today between one and three. We will be in Calgooley Boulder on the twenty third of July and in Rockingham on the eighteenth of August. If people want to know, just jump on our website click on the events link, or if you follow us on social media you'll get details of when we hold them as well.
Speaker 2: Yep, well, now, very very good. The community action days they call so, as Lou said, free food, health checks, micro tripping, flea and worm treatments for struggling pet owns. And in particular, it's the expertise you can pass on to people, isn't it?
Speaker 11: So?
Speaker 1: Oh for sure?
Speaker 29: And sometimes it's just about putting people's minds at rest. You know, my dog's doing this or my cat's doing that, and you know you talk to a professional, they go, oh, yeah, that's completely normal, but no, it can be annoying behavior.
Speaker 30: We suggest you try X y Z and yeah it's great.
Speaker 2: Yep, one level three AD. So if you'd like to speak to Luro you can. How you going, Lou? And all the time I've known you, you've worked here on the radio with Howard with late how do you work correct? The service you worked at Tourism w A. Just another day in w A was one on something you and your gang came up. How are you going with this? I know you love animals, but how are you going with all this?
Speaker 32: Yeah? I love it?
Speaker 30: I feel like I've landed where I was meant to be.
Speaker 29: I mean, when you work for the RSPCA but you're still known as the crazy dog lady, then I don't think that kind of shows that it's your calling you Maybe, Yeah, you've maybe found your people.
Speaker 30: You may be found your place. Yeah.
Speaker 29: Look, some of the stuff is heartbreaking, of course it is. And ultimately it would be amazing if the RSPCA didn't have to exist, because then there would would mean there was no animal cruelty. But unfortunately it does. And I've got to tell you though, those good stories are the ones that, Wow.
Speaker 2: You'd be going, yeah, you'd be coming back into work. Has any of it surprised you? Has any of the content any of the things you've seen? Is there anything unexpected, either in the role or the politically or you know, in the you need anything surprise you, Lou, Yeah, a.
Speaker 30: Couple of things.
Speaker 32: So the way.
Speaker 29: That people can treat their animals, even after all these years, continues to surprise me.
Speaker 30: I know it shouldn't.
Speaker 29: I don't know if we spoke about this last time I was with you, but there've been some charges against three blokes working on a mind site in the gold Fields who thought it would be really funny to hit a pigeon with a golf club and you did tell me and film it.
Speaker 30: And put it on Snapchat.
Speaker 29: So you know, you just look at that vision and you just go, I don't understand what was going through your head.
Speaker 2: So those kinds of things free your bloodstream.
Speaker 29: Yeah, those kinds of things continue to surprise me. People's expectations sometimes, you know though, and Kayleie has a lot more experience with this than I do, but they kind of treat us a little bit like a shop. So they'll come in and they'll be like, you know, I want a small, white, fluffy dog, no older than you know, two years of age, and you say, well, we don't have anything that fits that description. And it's like you're working at Big w and they expect you to go out the back and check the stock and to see if.
Speaker 2: There's one there's supposed to wait describe.
Speaker 29: Yeah, and it's like, yeah, not a shop, Like that's kind of not the philosophy of animal rescue and rehoming.
Speaker 2: So do what we got out of the back.
Speaker 30: Yeah, that's kind of interesting. Yeah, they're probably the two biggest things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, keep up the good work. It's a noble line of work and it's very well suited to you and your personality and your skill set. Thank you for coming in. Thank you for bringing Burton Ernie in. As Ernie continues to sort of try to escape and they climb up the walls. The other ones asleep.
Speaker 30: Yeah, I'm going to sleep to look at you.
Speaker 2: Don't try and go and changing jobs.
Speaker 29: I was going to say, I'm going to take Tony with me as I walk out the studio and she can come and work with us in Malaga.
Speaker 2: Tony, he's good at a day job as well, So you can't have it all right, Katie, nice to meet you. Keep up a good work. Yeah, I'll just remind people where the Community Action Days are. At one this afternoon in Clarkson there's something wearing center.
Speaker 30: Anthony Anthony Wearing club rooms on victism.
Speaker 2: Pray all right, And the twenty third of July there's people listening in caw Gooley Bold and lots of people do listen on the app these days, lou and the eighteenth of August down in Rockingham. So go to the RSPCA website they call the Community Action Days and you can find out a little bit more. Thank you, Luke, good to see you.
Speaker 30: Always, good to see you, Bowie.
Speaker 29: And maybe we'll mix things up and in a fortnight I'll bring in a big buffhead dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, no, all right, thanks Lou, Thanks Kaylee, and thanks Tony. Yeah, look at you go. It's a twenty eight and a half minutes past eleven, lou Rowe have Lou in here chatting about all this. And look it does have a heard edge this that those animal cruelty charges are significant, and you heard it here first on this show. Yes, No, Have you had the flu this season? The yeses are nineteen the nose of forty two. Shortly thanks for listening in today twenty nine minutes to midday after twelve o'clock today, Sue mcgodougall will be in from King's Park and of course dispenser of radio wisdom and care when it comes to matter's horticultural. So Sue will be with us after midday, looking forward to seeing that. I'd love to hear from you today. Have you had the flu this season? We are more than double the amount of reported cases as compared to this time last year. The yeses are twenty one on the nose of forty six. John says, So I'm interesting that you would get a John issuing you to say you take advice from people smarter than yourself. Still important to question things, even when the advice comes from so called smarter people. Smarter doesn't always mean unbiased or correct. Thank you, John, I guess what I'm really saying, John, I'm that happy taking people with advice that I think I might have covered the other way, if that makes sense. Thanks for listening in one double three eight e two. And I'll just check online. I think it's the things that Dalai Lama. I'll just check him on line because I always I quote this occasionally. If I've just got to X if I can find it, the Dalai Lama has something like John, there's something like twenty two million followers. I'll just check. That's the Dalo Lama. I've just got to spell it right, the Dalo Lama, current Dala Lama. I'm following the Dalo Lama eighteen million followers, And how many does the Dalai Lama follow? John zero eighteen million followers. He doesn't follow anyone on Twitter on X, so he doesn't take advice from anyone's he knows everything. John one double three eight a D two Todd says this biggest beliefs I'm and the cruelty to these animals. Our dog gets treated better than the kids. It's true. Thanks Todd, Cheers mate, thank you for for your correspondence today. A couple more nos have come in. Have you had the flu this season? The nose of twenty three, the yes of forty six. Let's do this on pers.
Speaker 1: Six pr The stock market reports, Oh he cleare.
Speaker 2: Joins us from Short and Partners that all prices up again, and I reckon O he clear is about to have the flu injection the sav ohe how are you?
Speaker 33: Yeah, morning Simon, that's true. A few of us here in the Shuran Partner's office has decided, after reading the press reports this morning, that we might be well advised to go and get the flu shots in the city here. There are plenty of pharmacies that are doing it, I think for free. So why not, we all said. But in terms of the oil price, we're living in increasingly uncertain times, particularly in the Middle East, and the price of a barrel of oil increased around four percent last night. Brent crude was as low as just fifty nine dollars only last month. It's now at seventy six dollars. That's an increase of twenty eight percent. And that's a problem not just at the petrol bowser, but increasing transport costs could quickly fuel the local inflation rate. And shipping companies are avoiding the Strait of muz in the Persian Gulf between Iran and Oman. As much as a third of all sea point seedborne oil passes through that particular strait, and there's been a big spike in interference with ocean tankers navigation systems, and yesterday two oil tankers collided and bought fire. Fortunately there were no injuries. So all that is feeding into higher energy prices, which is really only good for energy companies. So from the lows in April, the Woodside share price has gone from eighteen dollars sixty it's now at twenty five dollars sixty. That's a gain of thirty seven percent. And the takeover target Santos have increased from five dollars eighty up to seven dollars eighty, which is a thirty five percent gain. And unfortunately, as the oil price spikes upwards, the iron ore price has now sunk below ninety three US dollars a ton. Part of that is just because of a seasonal decline that happens at this time of year, but there are also signs that Chinese steel mills are starting to reduce their deal output. It's already about seven percent lower than where it was twelve months ago, and in fact, China's total steel production in May was at its lowest level since twenty eighteen. And on top of the glining debarn for our iron ore, there is also the issue of increasing iron ore supply coming out of Brazil. They are the second largest iron ore producer after Australia, and they exported over thirty five million tons of iron ore last month, which is a new all time monthly high for them. So that's an emerging problem. But share prices here aren't too bad today. BHP shares are down only fifty two cents, Rio Tinto have fallen by seventy cents, and another sector that's been in the headlines a lot recently is rare Earth's. The largest producer of rare earth outside of China is the Ossi sumpany Last, and the announce today that factory in Malaysia has produced a rare earth material called urbium for the first time ever. Urbium is used in low energy light bulbs, certain type of magnets, and even in X ray machines. Line of shares are up twelve cents today. They're now at nine dollars sixty six and they have increased by over fifty percent so far this calendar year. But the broader market continues to mark time. Today, those fools by the big iron or producers are being offset by gains by the banks. Combank shares are up a dollar eighty five. They're now one hundred and eighty one dollars and the All lords is down only two points where at eighty seven hundred and sixty nine Summit.
Speaker 2: Eight seven six nine. The urbium sounds like a type of car. Oh, it sounds like the Nissan Turbium with O two advantage.
Speaker 7: I love it.
Speaker 2: Thanks mate, it'll be turbo. Yeah, it will be hey. I hope the jab's okay, mate, thebon We'll chatt again tomorrow. Thanks so much, We will do.
Speaker 33: Cheers.
Speaker 2: Oh, en Clair, we're asking the question from sure and partners are asking the questions today. Have you had the flu jeff'sono donnads and no. Michael says, no, I haven't had the flu this year. In fact, I haven't had the flu since I started having my needle eight years ago. I always got the sick before that. Thank you, Michael. Good work, Janelle, fifty nine years of age. I've never had the flu. I hope I haven't jinxed myself. Janelle, well done doing something right there. We had a text from Peter earlier on. Peter was worried, was lamenting the size, scale and content in the current Waffle budget. So it has significantly shrunk in size the previous budget in previous years. You know you pay fifteen dollars to get in the Waffle. The budget was an Encyclopedia results memory b history. It was a pretty awesome publication. Joining us all the way from Canadia, the United States of Canadia or Canada is Sean Cowen, former budget contributor and master Waffle storyteller.
Speaker 7: Today Sean good Simon, how I am?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Good? Good to see what Canadian province or state are you in.
Speaker 27: I am currently in Ottawa, which is an interesting player somewhere I hadn't been before.
Speaker 2: Nice to talk to you made I really appreciate so eleven thirty at night, it.
Speaker 27: Is indeed yep, and hitting the hay very shortly.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you, all right, I appreciate you talking to us. Yeah, so Peter's noticed and I've noticed that the budget is nowhere near the size and scale of yesteryear. Sean, you used to contribute to it in that that way of yours. What's the latest? What are you hearing?
Speaker 27: Yes, Look, the budget undergoes a bit of a review every year. I don't think that's particularly formal or anything, but like any anything, you're doing business, and you know, football.
Speaker 2: Is a business.
Speaker 27: You know, it's got to pay its way. It's got it's got to be able to be affordable for the w Footy Commissioner or what are they called now wo football And there was a there was a review at the start of this year and they needed to cut some cost out, so they cut some pages and those pages were actually reinstarted a couple of weeks ago because of some of the Rusten and Waffle fans who wanted a bit more content in the budget. So one of those things was actually my column. So Myke column has been running since twenty eleven, wasn't running from the start of this year, but was reinstarted a few weeks ago along with Rick Gorsey's page, which is a waffle footy facts and also some other pages that had fixtures and ladders and things like that. So there is content in the footy budget still that has been there all this year, which is usually produced internally by the commission. Mark Reddings or Jordan mccardal or one of those guys will produce a sort of a story of about two pages for the start of the budget, but certainly most of the budget these days is the team list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Sean, knowing enough about how printing operations work, you go up in multiples of four pages. Ordinarily don't you get to four, eight, twelves whatever, yea.
Speaker 27: Fours or eights you've got to pull out depending on the style of printing.
Speaker 6: That it is a right.
Speaker 2: So last time I went was to watch the Mighty Royals play the Falcons on WA Day and the budget was was it. We can talk about that till the cows come home, mate.
Speaker 27: Now let's not think some but it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a pretty skinny little addition. So there's four new pages have gone back in, including your column, and it's still the same size. Its almost like an a five size, isn't it.
Speaker 27: It is a snake five size. Those four pages went back in for the weekend just on so they were they were missing for the previous weekend, but that was that was some special reason for that they were missing for that weekend, but they had been in the weekend before that, and that was the date of the reinstatement. But look, one of the one of the things that's happened I guess with the with the budget is there are so many extra games played now, so you know, there's women's football. There wasn't women's football, or certainly it wasn't the Waffle w five years ago. So now all those team lists need to go into the budget, as do the Rogers Cup team lists. So so unless they're going to push out the size of the budget, which you know means bigger costs, and those costs do get passed on to the clubs because it's the clubs that obviously sell the budget and get the get the money in the door from selling the budget or giving it to their to their paying customers who are paying to enter the football. You know, So unless you're you're actually going to increase the size. Then you've got to cut some other content to get those team lists in, because the main purpose of the budget is to have those team lists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very instinct, Hey, Sean, there were from memory, I think there were. There was an era of budgets that you didn't have, and you're always asking people if they did, because you've got most of them.
Speaker 27: Have any going back, Look I'm missing I'm missing maybe forty or fifty back to nineteen thirty six, which is when the budget started. There was a program before that. It was just basically the same thing, renamed the WA Football And they're particularly hard to find nineteen twenty one to nineteen thirty five, but pretty much anything before about the mid fifties is very difficult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the mobile forty cards albums you got those might have made.
Speaker 27: Yeah, nineteen sixty four, nineteen sixty five, and nineteen six of any one, they did forty cards in each set, and you know, I think a lot of people grew up collecting that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got the nineteen seventy one version, no doubt about that, Sean. Really good to talk to you, Thanks for having a chat. Really good that your column's back in there. So you're right one from Canada this week, will you?
Speaker 19: I did.
Speaker 27: I actually filed it last night, mate, so it was it was sent through and Jackie who's been producing the budget that does the production, she was filing back and confirming and receipt and that'll be in this week's budget.
Speaker 2: Yeah, brilliant. All right, it was nice to have you back in there, mate, and thank you for talking to us from Canada. Last time I was there, there was a beer called the Bats Blue that was six point nine percent. Sean, I would have tried to vote real clear, trying to avoid that like the plague. If you can, I reckon.
Speaker 27: I think I'm going to stick to the Canadian club, mate, But thank you.
Speaker 2: No you well, thanks for chatting to a Sean good ma'am any times. I'm cheers, mate, Sean Cowen. The ego, Peter, if you're listening incomprehensive, Hey from Shawney. So his column's back in. So it's gone. It's expanded by four pages. The reason it was cut back, Peter, was for costs reasons. The costs are paid by the clubs. There's also the waffle w competition needs to be included. Those teams list and the Rogers Cup. I don't know what the Rogers Cup is that colts. I don't know if someone will know, but Shawn's colin goes back in and there's a bit of other stuff back in there as well. So you'll see the budget expand by four pages. Peter, thanks to Sean Cown and thanks for sending in your correspondence. Sadly, we've seen the students in the Eastern States pass away from what appears to be excessive caffeine ingestion. And I want to talk about sleep today. Is sometimes, you know, when you're a student, sometimes you might try and get yourself through an exam or an assignment period and where you don't want to sleep. But most of us spend most of our us trying to get to sleep. Have we got any trips to stay awake or go to sleep? Talk about sleep? Just a sey your tricks to either stay away with your trips for going to sleep. There's a thing called cognitive shuffling, which you're going to talk about in just a moment called to twelve now. Mary says, thank you, Mary, Mary says the Rogers Cup is women's colts. Thank you, Mary. And natal Lee says it's women's footy and colts pooty. Hey, Natalie, thank you. I've always been curious that, Kyle says, Kylie, how did the name the budget come about? What does have that to do with football? What does they have to do with it all? I don't know, Kylie, anyone know how whit it's called the budget? Was it because of the sponsor? Was it the car people? I honestly don't know the budget. The record is the AFL one and the budgets our Jeff says footy budget. I remember detouring by a bus into Perth on a Friday after school to buy a budget. Have you had the flu this year? Lots of people saying no. This one here from Who's this from? This is from Kerry? Hello Kerry. My husband and I went to our GP and had a flu needable. A couple of weeks later we got COVID. We were both seventy four and had to get and you've virals. Scotty of Espirants today, Scott, I'm a proud Rulers member, even though I don't get too many games each year as they live in Espirants. I always buy the budget, but find it easier to read on my phone. Still, the printed version comes in handy, perfect for saving a seat by the window where you duck off to grab a frothy chop a bs is Scott Scott. I will say this is a person whose eyesight's not great. The budget is getting harder and harder to read. It's in size one font these days it's bloody hard to read. Talking about sleep, we do spend a bit of time either trying to keep ourselves awake. We're trying to get ourselves to sleep. Going to speak to someone from Monash University in just the second McGarry's phone and you've got a sleep remedy, Gary, Yes, yes I have.
Speaker 34: This is a quite a natural one. All you need to do is take two or the three of zinc tablets and also just a ad of salt, just vitually put your finger into the salt, just a little bit on your finger, put it on your tongue, as well as taking the zinc tablets as soon as you ready to put your head down, and that will send you into a good sleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, right through the night. Ablutions notwithstanding, well I'm not too sure. Sometimes you need to get up for a week as.
Speaker 34: Oh, yes, yeah. No, well that's quite the normal with me because I'm a fair aid sort of thing. But yeah, once or twice I suppose.
Speaker 2: You know, but zinc three zinc tablets and salt on the tongue. That works for you.
Speaker 34: Yes, and I'm sure I'll work with a lot of other people too without having the defense of buying or trying to get scripts for sleeping tablets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, good to talk to you, Gary, Thank you, mate, have a good day here he's gone. Linda Jackson is an Associate Professor professor in psychology set Monash the Turner Institute for Brain and Mental Health. Good ame me, Linda. How are you?
Speaker 35: I'm well?
Speaker 6: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm very well? Thank you? Can you? This is a new term to me or for me, cognitive shuffling?
Speaker 6: What is it?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 35: Yeah, so this is an interesting technique developed a few years ago, and it's just a way to try and help us to divert attention away from interfering thoughts when we're trying to drop off to sleep. So it can be helpful for people who perhaps have difficulties falling asleep when they first get into bed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, And what does it look like practically? What I've heard. It's It may involve letters, it may involve imagery. What can you explain it?
Speaker 35: Yeah, of course. So the idea here is to think briefly about a really neutral or pleasant target and then switch to unrelated targets every five to fifteen seconds. So I'll give you an example. So you might pick a random word such as bike, and then you focus on the first letter of the word, so B, and then you start to list a bunch of words that start with that letter, say that, bake, bark, whatever it is. And as you go through each of those words, you start to create a mental image of the word as you go along. And then when you feel ready, you'll move over to the next letter of bike, which is I, and then you repeat the process, and then you continue with each letter. And so the idea here, even though there's not huge scientific evidence for this approach, it's about just trying to change our thought processes a little bit and perhaps distract ourselves from other intrusive thoughts that might come in that prevent us from falling asleep.
Speaker 2: Ever, given it a will, Melinda, does it work for you?
Speaker 35: I can't say. I have to be honest this one. I haven't tried before. It is a newer kind of concept, but it's getting a lot of social media interests. It's all over TikTok at the moment. So you know, I think for people who perhaps are having difficulties falling asleep from time to time, it might be worth trying because we know that this is how our brains would normally for you know, the thought processes that normally would happen. As we fall asleep, our brain activity starts to slow down, and we start to generate sort of images and fleeting scenes and without consciousness that this is sort of not really you know, we're not really making sense of this. And so this process, this cognitive shuffling, this kind of mimics the natural process that happens in our brains, particularly for a good sleeper.
Speaker 2: On the other side of malenda, sometimes in our lives and you know, whether you have a set of you university exams or whatever it is, sometimes you need to try and stay awake for longer than you would like without affecting your health. We'd very sad story that Thesa States UNI student has overdosed on caffeine tablets. Do you have any any healthy, healthy ways of staying awake.
Speaker 35: Yeah, so I guess you know, if there are times where we do need to stay awake later in the evening, then you know, perhaps having some caffeine, perhaps not caffeine tablets, but you know, even just a cup of coffee later in the day where we normally wouldn't recommend that that might just help to keep you awake a little bit later. But also you know, maybe planning ahead and having a bit of a nap during the day if you know you have to stay up later at night, that might just help to sustain you and you know, so that you're able to maintain your alertness later into the evening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Melinda, thanks for chatting to us today. We'll see what our listeners think, what they what little techniques they may use, healthy ones of course. Well appreciate the chat.
Speaker 33: Thanks, thank you.
Speaker 2: See I'm Linda Jackson, Associate Professor in psychology at Monash University, the Turner Institute for Brain and Mental Health. Cognitive shuffling, you get a word, you know, you take the letter. I guess you know it's apparent what it means. You're distracting yourself, isn't it, And you try to shuffle different words and disassociate from the job at hand. I think if you try to tell yourself to go to go to sleep, you never can, can you. That's the that's the great iron of it. And trying to stay awake, and what do you do. I don't I think that you can still buy over the counter medications like no dose. I think I think you can buy noes to keep yourself awake. It's a bit of a university trick. Maybe some diet coke or coke. Don't know that having too much coke or diet coke is healthy for you because of the cyclo mates and the other things. Four minutes to mid day Summer Google will join us after twelve gardening questions in early but I'd love to hear from you one double three eight eddy two or you can text the zero four, eight seven, triple nine eight etty two. Thanks listening there today. After midday today, Sue mc google am will join us to gardening and Home Hoarder cooxus, So get your gardening calls. Are ready to come in yes or no, keeping a tally right through to one o'clock. Have you had the flu this season? The yes is are twenty four the Nose fifty six. Thanks for listening midday right now. Sue mcgogle, Hello.
Speaker 32: Hi, Saren, how are you.
Speaker 11: I was thinking, you know, when you say I haven't got the flu yet, next week you get it.
Speaker 1: That's that's superstitious.
Speaker 2: So don't even mention it. Don't get too far ahead of yourself. Exactly right, had it?
Speaker 32: I get a flu shot every year? I yeah, I years.
Speaker 11: A guy had it and I said, I don't want to be that sick ever again. So and I haven't got time to be that sick, and so I always yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's right, So I do. I'm going to ask you about lightscaping just a moment. I was up there the other night having a wander through the beautiful gardens and all these security guards is, mate, you can't go down there. You can't go down there. You need to turn around. There's fences, which to me. In the case, it's been popular. He's got some numbers through the door.
Speaker 32: It's been really popular some of this year.
Speaker 11: The whole displays talking about pollinators and Can't Live without You and talking about plan adaptations for our West Australian flora uniqueness. But it's also a little bit of education, a little bit of community art, international artists. So it's a great way to appreciate the Botanic Garden at a time you wouldn't always it would never be lit up, of course, and so being able to appreciate our unique asset that we've got something we feel very very special and privileged. And I think being able to put a focus on the West Australian Botanic Garden to a group families. And when I was going through LightScape on the preview night, it was so heartening to hear and see all these kids were just ah, so mesmerized and just it's so magical and I think, you know, your team quite a few of those said it was fantastic. Yeah it was raining and they just said it added to it, and I think it does.
Speaker 2: It's a great part of the park. I mean there's lots of great parts of King's Park. It's so different in different parts. But that natural amphitheater that runs down to the fountain and the surround and the creek that runs through is it's a really specky bit, isn't it.
Speaker 11: It is a specky bit and it's actually we feel very privileged. The whole team a huge sense of a responsibility to be able to care for it and present it in a way that focuses on our living collection and focuses on the West Australian flora, but also be able to appreciate it in its natural state. And I think that that's something really really significant for Western Australia. I mean, it's unique location across the world. There's not many well we know, there's no inner city parks that have that much bushland in a urban environment. It's one of the largest inner city parks in the world, but also one of the few botanic gardens that focuses on the local flora, and that research, of course is getting more and more important for the future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's plenty of to do it. There have plenty of walks to be had in little jogs and bike rides and sweeping views. Any animals of introduced animals at the moment too. I've seen Maron, I've I've seen a white rabbit as you know.
Speaker 32: Yeah, exactly. We did have a few chucks for a while.
Speaker 11: When I say introduced, I think there's a few foxes around, but I haven't seen any chucks for a while, so exit too expensive that nobody's dumping their chooks anywhere. I don't think, Simon, but I'm sure we'll find out. We are absolutely hammered by rabbits every year. And you know the we plant over fifty thousand annual plants to make that beautiful display in spring, and we're not fifty fifty in total thousands of our annual plants.
Speaker 32: And they are like lollies to rabbits.
Speaker 2: Yes, and so may you.
Speaker 11: One of our hordiculturists from who looks after the particular entrance the botanic garden, she's cursings all the time.
Speaker 32: So if anyone's got any ideas to hear.
Speaker 2: You've never been a massive fan of rabbits, given the damage they can do. I know you've long long advocated against the rabbit community. Wendy's phoned in, Hi, Wendy, Oh, I'd like to know.
Speaker 21: Is it too late to prove a mango tree.
Speaker 11: I'd say yes, we're just at the start of winter and there's a couple of things. Depending on our season, there won't be too many weeks away and people will be ringing up saying, oh, my mango tree is flowering, because when it's quite a warm.
Speaker 32: Start to the season.
Speaker 11: They flower very early and if we prune it now we have a little bit of warm weather and it sends out its new growth. We're going to prune off either some of the flowering stalks, but also open up areas to anthracnose and n threat nose is the problem that mangoes get with the cold weather. That beautiful new growth that comes through can get damaged by the cold. So we wait for it to flower. Well, look at it, and then you will selectively prune some of the branches out at the beginning of spring, and those branches. Make sure you leave the branches that are going to protect the fruit because the fruit holds onto the tree for such a long time. Right over summer and trim you almost trim say a half or a third of those branches out, and next year what you haven't pruned, you prune again. So you're selectively thinning out the branches to shape it.
Speaker 20: Oh excellent, okay, all right, thank you very much, sir.
Speaker 32: That's okay. Savor jokes.
Speaker 2: Do you say Glendelow Glendelock?
Speaker 32: I say Glendelow, But should it be.
Speaker 2: Lock on the train? They say Glendelow, don't they?
Speaker 32: Yeah, I think so. I think so. I'd never even thought about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we go all right, that's.
Speaker 32: A dilemma, isn't it. Now I'm worried.
Speaker 2: Very much.
Speaker 36: Yeah, here you go.
Speaker 22: So I've got a grass trees so hard one. Yeah, I got more header into it to prune all the dead bush under me. No, people are saying, now, just right up to get rid of the rest of the dead stuff around the head.
Speaker 37: Is that right?
Speaker 32: What's the fire risk of everything around it?
Speaker 6: They go up.
Speaker 2: You would not believe they just spark grass trees.
Speaker 32: Yeah they do.
Speaker 6: They do.
Speaker 11: Oh, they're just so dry, so dry, and you'll end up with sparks that don't last for very long.
Speaker 32: But yeah, they just go up.
Speaker 11: What what it does do, Nick, is it cleans up any scale insects that are in it, or any bugs that are in it. And so I the traditional way that they're being managed in urban landscapes as well is that I said them a light and it cleans them up and then they develop that skirt because they are a are a fire hazard as well. But whilst the skirt is there, they're also a really good habitat for bandicoots and things. So yes, what it tends to do also is encourage them to send out a flower stalk as well.
Speaker 32: So it depends on what you want to do.
Speaker 11: Be super careful of any other foliage around it, Nick, or any house, anything that's flammable around it, because it certainly will go up.
Speaker 22: Yep, no, yeah, true, true. But I've trimmed, I've trimmed or of dead rod off as much. And I know what you're saying up, so I just I just want to make sure it's not going to kill.
Speaker 2: It, won't kill it at all. Yeah, thank you, thanks, good on mate. Hello Linley, how are you?
Speaker 17: Hello?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hi Linny, Hi, hey.
Speaker 17: Gang, thank you. So I'd like to out there and have a look at some kangaroo paus, but I have been some a walking so for trolley thing. So where can I park and get.
Speaker 11: Up there to go in to light escape Lindley or to the Botanic Garden to have a look at the kangaroo paws.
Speaker 17: Yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 11: So if you go to the main car park if you have a trolley walking, we have accessible pathways, so there are atron parking bays right at the front that's closest to our stakes.
Speaker 32: Yeah, no problem at all with that.
Speaker 11: And then what we call our mound, so that features our West Australian flora. So if you only have such a short time in spring, they're looking amazing. So the kangaroo paws aren't quite looking amazing yet, just a little bit early in the season. So in September early September Lindley is when you would head on lots of acron parking there. It's only short walk and then you'll see them right at the entrance to the Botanic Garden and around the mound, which is virtually opposite their entrance to aspects.
Speaker 32: Sure easy that pathway that's quite wide.
Speaker 11: And open and the mound always got yeah, we call it the mound, yeah, And it was originally the concept was conceived to be out for those people who are on a bus tour and he had a short few minutes, they can get a really good oversight of what's looking spectacular. We are why we are celebrating West Australian flora and each year, depending who's the coordinator of that area, has an opportunity to put their own take on that area.
Speaker 32: So some people absolutely love the responsibility of that.
Speaker 11: Some of our team and others feel a huge sense of responsibility to get it right. So some years the colors are very different to what the others. But that's what I think part of the allure and the romance the wo Botanic garden is.
Speaker 38: Is that?
Speaker 2: Okay, lin assorted.
Speaker 17: There, Yeah, I've a good idea. We can oaps traps. I'm sure you've got some traps too, a rabbit, your rabbits to have a stew.
Speaker 11: We'd have to get a very humane trap, Linley, because I know you can't can't do that and it probably it plays at all.
Speaker 2: So putting out traps on the mountain, yeah, exactly, thanks, But I.
Speaker 32: Think there's a few people who have fond memories of rabbit stew, isn't there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there is. Then you get up there in September, and I know the area soon means so if you part behind behind the State Reception Center and aspects is the shop, that area there and you can just virtually walk straight downs where the log used to.
Speaker 11: Be, pretty much where the log used to be, and it turned to compost and it had more concrete in it to try in the log, didn't it.
Speaker 32: So yeah, the compost has been gone back.
Speaker 2: To the soul, so it's been distributed through the park eighteen eighteen and a half minutes past midday. If you'd like to speak to so you can one double three eight eighty two. Would love to hear from you. Sue McDougal oam is with us on double three eight to two. I've liked phone, so you can.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 2: There's still tickets available for LightScape, isn't there?
Speaker 11: Yeah, there certainly is, and we go to I think it's the twenty seventh of July, so please book your tickets. I know the busy days of the weekends, there's peak and off peak, there's some We've really tried to keep the price down under one hundred dollars for a family to make affordable. But it's just such a fantastic event. So yeah, please book tickets. I'll say tell your friends if you've been how.
Speaker 32: Good it is?
Speaker 2: Yep, LightScape up at Kingspark. Don't have a look Kings Park and Botanic Gardens. It's twenty two minutes past twelve could I.
Speaker 19: Rod good afternoon?
Speaker 2: So I the drinad trip.
Speaker 19: I dealt with it pretty well with my roses this year, but they destroyed the daily is the question I have? Is that likely to affect the corns, I lift the corns in the ground, Is it just you know, well, yes, that's the question.
Speaker 14: That is.
Speaker 11: So chili thrips of course with roses, but there's quite a few other types of thrips. There's plague thrips, and there's western flower thrips, and so it's something that we do have to live with when we're growing gladioli, dahlias, even some of our native plants get affected by thrips. What we find is as long as the plant is growing nice and healthy, all the nutrients and the extra even if the flowers get damaged, then the foliage gets damaged. If you can keep really strong plants, strong stems, as they start to die back, the corms will still be there. Rod So your dailia tubers, I should say is what we call them, will still be their mine. Actually, dailias this year got really affected by the heat, died back down through dry and then started to shoot again when we'd had a little bit of rain. So that all totally confused as well, So totally understand it won't if you leave them there.
Speaker 32: First year.
Speaker 11: Actually, when we went to Europe first year that a couple of gardens had commented that they'd left the Dahlia tubers in the ground over winter, that's how much the climate's changed, and they were shooting away again.
Speaker 32: So leaving them there, feeding them as.
Speaker 11: They start to die back, encouraging those extra nutrients go back to the tuba is going to help the plants for next season.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 19: One other question, if if I good, please, seedlings seem to be in short supply. Is there are you aware of any reason why they're not producing?
Speaker 11: I am, and it's actually a really good topic that we need to talk about. One of the major suppliers has stopped their flower production. They're actually moving and we have had a problem being able to source Australia in Western Australia major production and they are in short supply. I know for a fact that business is reviewing their product mix and with our changing climate, questioning whether annual seedlings are actually going to be part of the product mix in the numbers that they had going forward in the future, and so looking at some of the hardier varieties, looking at protocols to grow some of our West Australian plants as.
Speaker 32: Well as annual seedlings.
Speaker 11: And so because of that supplier coming out of the market, and that is linked to availability of water for them to grow the plants as well. So it's a much bigger picture than staff availability or the industry just not being geared up or expected demand. There's much bigger questions being asked at the moment or being reviewed at the moment.
Speaker 15: Rod.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Rob, watch this space so soon. Can I keep you appraise of that? Mate? Thank you very much for your calls today on dahlias and ceilings. Can they Harry?
Speaker 31: Oh Hill, here you goes Hi, Harry.
Speaker 20: So I value your information, I really do.
Speaker 31: But I've got a Mandarin three which I've had now for close on twenty five years. I've done anything and everything with it. I've even removed the existing soil, which was the usual beat stand up at Jodler, and I've actually put really good rich soil and that was made for me by a soil mob yep. And it produced mandarins. Yes, for the last three years it's been producing mandarins.
Speaker 9: But they are totally inedible.
Speaker 31: They are so sour and smell really bitter.
Speaker 9: Yeah, what am I doing?
Speaker 27: What am I doing wrong?
Speaker 32: Is it a mandarin tree?
Speaker 11: That's what we want to ask to start with, Is it a mandarin tree, is it kalamondon which looks like a mandarin a little round fruit. Depending on the variety. I would say you're an incredibly patient person because after that time, if that sour that variety I suspect is actually not a mandarin. It's been labeled wrong twenty five years, that's amazing, or it's roots that that's taken over, or it's actually a kalamandon. To start with, Harry, there's a couple of things that you can Usually you can tell a mandarin by the leaf shape. It's quite specific. But if you crunch the leaves you will be able to smell mandarin in. It sounds silly, but it's true. If it's a lime tree, if you crunch the leaves, you can smell lime. So you can get a really bit of an idea of what it actually is. And I would be suspecting it may be either a calamondon, which looks similar, very small round fruit.
Speaker 32: Harry, No, exactly. I think it's the tree. It's a tree.
Speaker 18: It might be.
Speaker 32: Marmalade, might not be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it might not be a mandarin. Give that a bill, Harry. See what you come up with, and we we're here. You know for to talk to Sue each and every week. So let us know how you go. Harry's gone THINGU Max gooda.
Speaker 32: Bob Okay, Hi Bob, how can we help you with your roses?
Speaker 20: When do I prune my roses?
Speaker 2: Where do you live?
Speaker 20: Ellen Brook?
Speaker 32: Okay?
Speaker 2: Roses?
Speaker 21: This year?
Speaker 11: I know they're having lots of late flowers self. Notice still quite a few roses hanging on. It's a very fine line to when they slow down totally and you've still got a few flowers, so you think, ah, just put some just leave them for a little while to enjoy those flowers. So middle of July to the end of July, Bob, is when we'd be looking at pruning them for this year. We are in the middle of June. We still need about three or four weeks. I think this cold weather helps, even though it's still not freezing and the nighttime temperatures. We want those plants to slow down. So even if you've still got leaves on them, when you prune them, if you can give them, pull all the old foliage off, and if there's any sap flowing or any new growth coming through with your roses, give them a cover spray of white oil rather than lime sulfur, because lime sulfur will burn the new growth that's coming through, and whit tool will just clean up any might insects, any bugs, any sky insects, and be really good winter spray for you to give them a good start for spring flowering.
Speaker 2: That okay, Bob, Oh, thank you Lad. Good on your mate Bob from ellen Brook World. Done, Bob, get a Patricia.
Speaker 36: Yes, the previous caller said he'd got on top of chili thriaps on his roses, and I've been battling it for three years, so perhaps you can know what he did to get on top of it.
Speaker 32: I know that that was Rod, wasn't it.
Speaker 11: Rod has a absolutely regimented program I think you mentioned it before of spraying every week and alternating the spray so using natros, using success, using oils to really keep on top of it, and allowing air movement around the roses.
Speaker 32: And it's you can't you can't miss.
Speaker 11: It for a week or you know, in three weeks you think I'll fix it, and they just still keep coming back.
Speaker 2: So, Patricia, so those brands that get suit of go through it, but yates, Success, gneam oil and or natural soap, and I think from memory talking to you, so you need to get underneath the leafs as well as on top. Don't you need to be pretty good drenching.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's exactly it you can use. And most of those are contacts brays because the problem with using anything anything more, that's the reason why you have to go under the foliage is the thrips don't suck the sap, so they don't take the nutrients or they don't take anything up by the plant. They only rasp away at the outside and rasping away. That's why they're incredibly hard to control.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 2: And I think also you've encouraged making the root system stronger, stronger.
Speaker 32: Yeah, so thick cell walls is what we want to do.
Speaker 11: We want strong stems, we want high potassium softa de potash is really important for roses. It only helps, not only helps flowering of course, increases and intensifies perfume in those perfume varieties.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Patricia, thanks for calling. We always get a chili thrip call or two, don't we, Sue, Sue, well done? Have you got you oam yet? Has it arrived in the post or are you having a.
Speaker 32: Party the ceremonies.
Speaker 11: Actually, so all the other awards recipients from Western Australia.
Speaker 32: I think in September sometimes, not sure.
Speaker 6: Of the date.
Speaker 2: Very good, Yeah, how good starting.
Speaker 32: Thank you, very humbling.
Speaker 2: You take Andy, I have to he might be at work. I'll see who's around it.
Speaker 32: Ran to family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's plenty of family members, aren't there. We're very proud of you too. Well done. And if you want to go and see Lightsgate, go to King's Park and Botanic Gardens. Go to the website and have a look. It is fantastic. And if you've if you've ever been at one of the concerts in King's Park, it's in the same place and it's a it tricked the place up really nicely. Sue. Done and chat to you soon.
Speaker 33: Take care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, Sue.
Speaker 6: We do.
Speaker 2: We're lucky to have her. We'll come back in at just a moment. I'm not sure if John has this story or not. John Nichols, but you may or may not hear blot I'll tell you anyway. It looks like a volcano has erupted in Bali and canceled aids and flights in and out of Bali. And in and out of Perth Airport will bring you some more details. If John hasn't got it for you in the news. Next to stay listening twenty four minutes to one o'clock. Let's take fours and go to our newsroom. Good afternoon at John Nichols.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Simon, Good afternoon. The Federal Treasurer says the world is facing a perilous moment as he warns that global factors may limit the government's policy choices in coming years. Jim Charmers has given a major speech shout lining Labour's economic priorities for its second term in Parliament. It's promising patriotic and progressive reforms. The Public Transport Authorities says it'll host a workshop with train drivers, many of whom want the new C series trains removed from service until key issues including brakes and air conditioning are sorted out. The PDA says there are no breaking issues on any Transperth railcars, but it will host a workshop in coming weeks to work through the driver's concerns. OPTAs has agreed to pay a one hundred million dollar fine for selling vulnerable customers plans they couldn't afford. The Consumer Watchdog has sued the Telecommunications Giants, which has admitted to unconscionable conduct. In tennis, Australia's Alexei Poperin has reached the second round of the Queen's Club Championship on grass in London, has beaten fellow of Australian Alexander Brookch Alex Dminor and Adam Walton both lost their matches eighteen degrees at the moment. Showers today down to twelve overnight the shower or two and twenty one tomorrow. More news at one, Thank you John.
Speaker 2: Some news just to hand which has come into Philippa MA in our newsroom and to you guys. There have been two flights canceled in and out of Balley, with two more delayed as follow So Jet Star JQ one hundred and ten was due to depart at six fifty that was canceled this morning Transnoosa eight B eighty so AB eighty one that's been canceled at a fly tomorrow. JQ one O six was meant to go at four o'clock the Sava. It's been delayed till seven o'clock and JQ won one six departing at fourteen at four forty. It's been delayed to nineteen thirty. So John, it's a an island on on Flourist, which is east of Bali has erupted in a center a ten kilometer high ash tower. So that's news just a hand so I know you've got a bit more informed. Well our listeners can hear that during the course of the day. Absolutely, yeah, well done, Thank you John, Thank you, well done. John Nichols. Be back tomorrow with Nichols Niche on a Thursday. It's twenty one and a half minutes to at one o'clock. If you like the phone and you can have you had the flu this season? The yeses are twenty four and the nose fifty six. We'll speak to Oli in just a moment. He's on ob Day number two. That was an outside broadcast as our man, Olli Peterson. Sean Lindsay joins us from our production area today our executive producer, good a mate, you spot of this story today.
Speaker 37: Yes, it's a sad, good afternoon to you, Bowie. It's a sad story that's emerging from Donnybrook, one of the great locations in Wa.
Speaker 2: Good for apples for apples, bakery.
Speaker 37: It has a good visit to Santae Playground and very good playground, but with sad news has come through reported by the ABC. In the Southwest of Donnybrook visitors center and the station markets are set to close because of funding carts. So the local shower budget has come through. They obviously have to get things sorted before the new financial year and because of the budget restraints, they've decided they're going to cut the funding from the groups that organize the station markets and also cut funding from the visitor center so they will be no longer cost of living crisis again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the pooral Shore of Donnybrook bailing up cutting the service. I think they've got one staff member shaw and a dozen volunteers, so that's a shame. There are some great visitor centers right through Western Australia. The Albany one is unbelievable. The Caravan Ones is terrific as well. In Swan Valley there's a fantastic visitor center as well. But I wanted to ask you about markets because of a few over your way. There's a ripper market at near Lake Clamont on a Saturday morning, isn't there so listeners. We want to know where the good markets are, the growers' markets, fresh produce markets. Can we and can we open it up as well?
Speaker 37: Because I did a little bit of dicking and you know, some people go in and investigate bits and pieces the government, like Caroline Spencers of the world. I look at the different markets and there's quite a few different markets around Perth. We're not talking just about growers' markets, which are great fresh produce which will set you up for the week. And there's a good one in Subiaco. There's a good one in Clermont that you just mentioned that I know about, but I think historically there's a great one.
Speaker 2: In Midland with rippering, caring up, gearing up shops, ripper and these are car park markets and car park markets people that come in just for the day.
Speaker 37: They bring their fresh produce from wherever, usually you know, out towards this one.
Speaker 2: Valley and those sort of places out that way.
Speaker 37: They come in and they sell their plants, they sell their vegitables, clothes. They sometimes close as well. And now we go into the artisan market territory. We're down south, well, I say south to a free away. There's a couple of great artisan markets, so that's your secondhand clothes, and you'll know people that just love their thrift shopping. I think I said that right, you did Chili thrip. I get really confused with shopping. They're not interchangeable. And there's a few of these different artistan markets which pop off. And then we can't forget the food markets, the Scarborough food Market, the market, it's amazing. The Hawker market that comes to the city of Perth, they're amazing as well. And then and then I look back fondly. I spent a bit of time pavilion and station street markets in in in Subiaci, which no longer exists. In Freemanner they've still got probably I dare I say the best market in Perth, maybe even w w A the market in Frio.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm looking at you trying to gain it. No, it's got the antique shops and it's got a lot of it's got some permanency about it does so that's I'll get you there. I think you're right about that. So what we want from our list is car park markets, artisan markets, fresh produce marks, anything like. We're the good markets at the moment, and.
Speaker 37: The Margaret River fresh produce market is one of the great markets as well, and it's a bit off the obviously, bit off the beaten track, drive a few hours to get there.
Speaker 2: So most of these are said, I think Palmira's got a good market. It does, yes, memory yes, And I think there's one more that I'm going to hold back, which I reckons that ripprid. It's a car park market and it's got clothes. I saw Steve Butler by a scoop net, a crab scoop net at it. I did, Yeah, best day of his life. Five bucks for a scoop net. What does the scoop net? Five dollars? Five dollars? Yeah? So happy was he wearing?
Speaker 11: What was he?
Speaker 6: Was he wearing?
Speaker 2: Steve Butler? Was he Steve not John Butler? I thought it John Butler's and John Steve. Steve lives in Palmyras, you know, powerhouse, so he's two very different Butlers, aren't They get you Butler? But the Inglewood night markets are very good.
Speaker 37: There's a Perth up market, so the u W way do it about three or four times a year, so they invite people to artisan staff niche markets. So that's the Perth Up market, which is very good. So there's plenty around. Yeah, it's sill listen think brilliant mate.
Speaker 2: But sadly where we started is the donny Brook Visitor Center and their station markets are closing down unless the show I can come up with some more duck.
Speaker 37: It was only the open it only opened once every three Saturdays. Every third Saturday, Bok markets would open up and you can bring your stool and your produce and they just don't have the funding.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but those local shires, as you know, they do struggle a little bit. Yeah, smell of an Aarli rag stuff. She's mate, brilliantly done a Shawan Lindsay, our executive producer here at Perth today. Wear are the good markets, the car park markets, the fresh produce ones. Some of them run once a week, someone run every fortnite and some of them are very popular. Carry ups a big one out my way. There's another big one south of the river. It's on one of the major highways one double three eighty two. It's a cracker. The markets, where are they? Where do you like going? Why do you like and what do you wear? What do you buy there? One double three eighty two sixteen to one allor notes. How good Max you know, might have been in eighties ninety stuff?
Speaker 11: Do you no?
Speaker 2: I quite like it, all of them. How old are you? Twenty two? I turned this year, so you're twenty one now?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I turned twenty two in March. Yes, gone, god, twenty two?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, wow, well done? Do you have Have you had the flu this year? Jackoe says he's got the flu? Now out the markets, the good markets around the joint, where are they? So the station markets in Donnybrook are closing, which is a great shame. And so's a visitor center. Well the shore of donning Brook. The bailing up can't afford to keep the visitor center, which is a bit of a shame. But we're asking you today, where are the good markets today?
Speaker 22: Aaron Simon?
Speaker 13: Yeah, there's markets held Simon. But there's markets held every Sunday morning, and Rockingham held by the Apex Club. Yeah right in the yeah car park behind Kent Street there. Yeah, so dollar coin donation. But it's more like a car boot type style, if you know what I mean. A bit of brick and brack and people's junk want to sell. But there's street and edgies and everything there, so every Sunday morning.
Speaker 2: That one's massive, isn't it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's huge, loads of cars. I've sort of often got a Rocco with the family on a Sunday, Mate, and I see heaps of people there, so yeah, that's the other stary, isn't the car park marks? You get clothes, get plants, all sorts of stuff and as you say, brick a brack, what are you bought there?
Speaker 19: Mate?
Speaker 2: Is Aaron still there?
Speaker 6: Max?
Speaker 2: Aaron's gone? Aaron's mysteriously disappeared. Across the road from the leisure in. I think it's called the pub one double three eight eighty two. Where are the good markets? Olie Peterson joins us he's again on location today. He loves an outside Broadcastle or.
Speaker 6: Oliver tell you and I reckon, I'm looking at a good market, Simon. It's called the VB the Sheds Sandwiches in between the camfield and off the stadium. It looks like a market and I think it's got your name on it.
Speaker 2: That's what do you mean?
Speaker 6: I just think you know it's a sunny afternoon. You're obviouly saying you're about to knock off for the day. It's a sunny afternoon. You're in Birdswood. The rain stopped and there's vbs to be poored.
Speaker 2: Simon, Yes, well, good drink responsibly, Oliver John the Manning markets. That's come in from Mary Manning Road Bentley, the Melville markets on a Sunday, says Mike and Darren and Dave. And yeah that was one. That's that's a rip up that one of the Melville Plaza. There they've got a they've got a Dan Murphy's there. Here's that theme again and there's a big there's a big billboard of Dan Murphy and I reckon. You can see it from space, you can see it from you can see it from the hills. It's the biggest, biggest billboard of Dan Murphy in the area. Alberdy markets are the best, is Dave o Colum Mounder Farmer Markets on Sunday at greats from Natalie Natalie Teasing market at Colum on the first start of every month. Bumbray is good. One in Banner's there's some Ciresis and killed as good as well. So oh yeah, you don't mind a market to your.
Speaker 6: Car park market Now, I love a market, love it and I love a fresh food market on a Saturday morning, like you go to some of the primary schools and that's that's good fun. There's a brilliant in sub good one in Mount Claremont that you can get to and dark. It's great, good, good part of the fabric at our commun Simon.
Speaker 2: I think so Oliver. And if you like me and you're looking for free stuff to do with your kids, it's a good way to a good way to spend a couple of hours. Now, what do you have for us this afternoon, Well.
Speaker 6: Bowie, I am broadcasting live in the six pr Jco Caravanland Mobile Studio opposite Stand twelve. So if you're catching the six five four from Basindin Station to up the stadium tonight for New South Wales and Queensland, you can come on down and say get a where sandwich. Between the camfield and up the stadium. I'll be presenting Perth Live till five and then Marketings will join you for the wide world of sports from five until six. Your mate Jason Feederby will be joining us, so we'll be answering all your personal finance questions. Trent nikolicch you'll be on the show Austrata's number one motoringexpert from Drive dot com dot Au and we ask you who or what is the world's best airline. And there's some bit of aviation years around, Simon, and we're about to I know that there was the Perth Airport sale frenzy that the boys were talking about earlier today, but we're also about to get a host of extra airlines and some that already operate into w A putting on additional flights into a number of other international destinations. So exciting time to aviation out and into our great city.
Speaker 2: Ollie, I don't I can't imagine you have any more Rugby League luminaries on today because you had every single one in the world on yesterday.
Speaker 8: How be a good lineup?
Speaker 2: Wasn't a Piggie Liddell and it was? It was did a great job yesterday. He's just hyping it up. Good to see our network keep behind the state of Origin.
Speaker 6: Yes, and you'll hear it tonight on six PR the Continuous Call to Mark Levy and Darryl Broman and Mark Riddell Mark Guy Albert will be on six PR after the Wide World of Sports Bring your Origin play by play now.
Speaker 2: I spoke to Connor McGovern yesterday and he turned into a rugby league player. What we were listening to him was that gun, I love I love me rugby league and me tracksuit pants. His voice changed, give me, give me some of your best Darryl.
Speaker 6: So some mom with is Darryl rickets tonight. What you're going to see here? Up to start and righted. Luai gets it to Killery, He goes on the outside, gets her till l Trell Betchell.
Speaker 38: Mitchell goes over the hammer and it's four zipp to New South Wales, kick to come and Trell is on fire. Simon Boment, I'll be very happy about that. As a South Sydney Rabinos Fountain, I may enjoy.
Speaker 2: That was better than I could have possibly expected. Enjoy mate. We'll be listening this afternoon, you see you, mate. So we'll go back to where we started today. The coverage from the paper they just don't want it here. They don't want the sport here. And that's that's a shame, because plenty people go tonight, plenty of Australia will watch, plenty of w a will watch. Got room for one more sport, don't we particularly if the Eagles an't going to win another game for a couple of years. Jeff, we're the best markets.
Speaker 14: Ah, Hi, Simon, how are you good?
Speaker 2: Mate?
Speaker 14: There's a nice market behind the Bayswater Library on King Wyndham Street that's usually on a Monday night. And there's a couple there that sell honey. They used their own honey and it's just so divine. It's just you just can't beat it. And yeah, there's everything there but the honey. There's just fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as they said in the Blues, Brother's mate, they've got everything in here. Thanks Jeff good Man. Always good to hear from you. Hello Sam, Hey mate.
Speaker 28: You should tell that bloke come and see the honeys.
Speaker 1: In the south of the River.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What do you got for us?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 17: The Maning Markets mate, that's next to the library.
Speaker 16: I don't know.
Speaker 17: You don't come over to.
Speaker 1: The south part of town, is all that's up?
Speaker 2: Mate? You don't come over, dude, I do, mate, you know I do. My mom lives south Sam, But we were friends.
Speaker 6: Sam.
Speaker 2: The Manning Markets they're on Manning Road, Bentley, next to the library. Yeah yeah, next to the library. All right, Sam, good on you mate, thank you. I used to go to the Midland markets. Now it's gone, how very says is Trina in Mayland? Solo Trina that he said. Dave says, when it comes to farmer's market, the one I visit most is the Sterling farmers Market. Those marks at the Sterling City Council car park from seven am to eleven thirty on a Sunday morning. Yeah, Dave, that's an absolute ripper, isn't it that one is? There's some beauties. There's some rippers around the place. Dave reckons, we don't. David says this amusing listed commentary on how good Perth local markets are. Perth is very sterile like support for the quality of business in space or decent central location. Bull Dust, David, Absolute bull dust are everywhere. Julie says. Sterling's Farmer's marks every Sunday morning Cedric Street car Park sponsor by Rotary Club of carn Up. Thanks Jules, thank you. It's a really nice market. Behind the Eiffel Tower in Paris. Fout it we're there two weeks ago. Is magnificent. Thanks mate. Thank you. Darren, look at you, look at you? Five to one back in a second. Natalie says Kingsway Marcus in Natalie every Saturday morning is brilliant. Thanks Natalie. Always good to hear from you. Good affairs, Yes votes, thank you very generous.
Speaker 27: Two things I learned today, Simon, the Many markets are next to our library and the Kenning Bear Market.
Speaker 8: The Kenny Bear Markets are very good.
Speaker 34: But you've got to get Sam back on the c He's the funniest.
Speaker 28: Blake I've in the month.
Speaker 14: Sam is King getting back on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mate, bad. I go south the riverfes every three days. Ago South River. Oh that's beautiful, thanks mate, Thanks, Yeah, who knew the Manning markets are next to the library. Thanks Fairs World answer mate. Our caller of the day today is Greg. Greg was hospitalized because of the flu. Greg, thanks for funny and hope you're getting better mate. I believe you're back at work today. Greg. As a consolation, a couple of tickets to a double pass to go and see the Terra Cotta Warriors, the Chinese Warriors when that bullbard it the WA Museum from during the twenty eighth through the febr Good on your fair Fez. You're a funny man. I hope you enjoy the origin tonight. Have look at it on the nine network, or listen to it here on six PR. It should be unreal. Have you had the flu this season? The yeses are twenty nine, then those are sixty seven. Thanks for listening. In Oli you Peterson up next. He's on Fire OB two in two days. See you tomorrow at nine