Speaker 1: Onto GV. This is Sitney now with Clinton.
Speaker 2: Maynard bride a May three one eight seven three. It is Clinton Maynard here. The weekend has almost arrived. It's been a beautiful day. Some clouds are rolled in over the past couple of hours, but this time last week it was pouring. Well, it's completely dry across Sydney and that's great because it means the trains should run on time this afternoon. Now you know me, I'm a very positive person. I have got great confidence. This afternoon, for the first time in a week, I will not be telling you about train delays. Nope, I'm very confident the Sydney Trains management. They have it under control. You're all going to get home on time on the trains, I promise you. No, I won't guarantee it the roads. That could be another matter. Will keep you up to date for your trip home. Coming up on the program. The Fine and Rescue Commissioner joined me. It is getting cold across Sydney and that's already resulting in house fires. One this morning at Bonnie rit where smoke alarms were turned off because the residents do like to cook. It's more common than you realize as well. I'll bring you the latest on Penrith Council's threats to find one of our listeners who had the cheek to use a bobcat to clean out a stormwater drain that if he didn't, his neighbor's house would have been flooded. A staggering response from the council. Today, Lego Master's back on the TV this weekend. The brickman joins me, how do you get that job?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: That'd be a good job. And mark guy with his footy tips. I'm thinking of just copying MG from now on. You are my eyes and ears when it's happening in Sydney now, so text me zero four zero eight seven three eight seven three have you say one three one eight seven three? Well in Sydney right now. There's been some hazardous serf hitting Sydney's eastern beaches. In particular today two people have been rescued at Cudgee Beach. They became stuck on rocks. Fortunately neither a serious injured arrescue helicopter had to be called in. And look, there's dangerous surf right up and down the coast. This comes with the hazardous surf warning it's been put in place for today, but also the entire coastline up and down New South Wales until Sunday. Brett Menini is with surf life risk. You get a Brett, tell me how about it is out there?
Speaker 4: Maybe it's certain, say the swell pickup, and we're expecting that to increase into Saturday, where we're going to see this long range and long period swell impact from pretty much Aid and up to Byron for the course of the weekend.
Speaker 2: How big is this swell in Sydney.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're approaching sort of that six to seven foot mark, but that will be expected to rise potentially up to sort of that two to three meter mark across the weekend. And it's a long period nature of the swell that has this probably concerned, particularly for rock fishermen. When we have these types of long period swells have more energy, they travel faster, and they're more well defined and powerful waves that impact the coastline.
Speaker 2: The fear yesterday was that the two waves would come quite close together, they'd say a fifteen second gap, which is different to the way the surf usually operates. Is that's what happened today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, basically that's what we find in the period as well as is people head down, they jump on a rock shelf or platform in between the gaps in the waves and then find themselves caught out when these bigger, more powerful waves impact those rock platforms.
Speaker 2: Two people rescued from Kulji today. Look, it looks like they're going to be okay, but that's just an example of the danger that exists.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred percent, Clint. We've seen across as when we had a similar sort of swell impacted coastline, how many incidents we saw and unfortunately those fatalities as well. So really hoping people heed the warnings this weekend if you then down to the coastline and surely you've taken a proper safety of precautions and if you're rock fishing, make sure you're observing those conditions and also ensuring at the very least you have a life jacket with de.
Speaker 2: Good luck this weekend. Thank you, Brent, Thanks Glenn, Brent Manieri from Surf Life Saving New South Wales. So look, it is pretty spectacular and a lot of people as going down the beach to have a look and take some photos. If you are an experienced surfer, best of luck to you. If you like to go rock fishing, maybe don't do it. This weekend eleven past three, there is a warning from the Sees to stay informed if you live around the Tempe Bridge in the Inner South, around the Cooks River, there is predictably some minor flooding. This will only be minor because fortunately it's not raining this afternoon, but the high tide is expected to bring some minor flooding to the Cooks River around the Tempe Bridge. If it matters to you, you'll hear it here.
Speaker 1: Sydney now with Clinton Maynard until six.
Speaker 2: The task Force which is investigating Sydney's gang war, that is Task Force Falcon, has now made its fir arrest. And this arrest is in connection to a car that police fear was going to be used potentially going to be used in a gangland hit. And this is the way these gangs operate. They hire people to conduct the very serious crimes. These people will steal a car potentially months before the job that they then undertake, and then the car is fitted out with what's necessary to complete an underworld hit. Well, a sixteen year old boy has been taken into custody. He's now been charged the task Force Task Force Falcon Police officers from that task force discovered the car in Guildford. This was a mestolea Mercedes Benz inside the vehicle, a semi automatic rifle, a handgun, a jerrycan full of fuel, face coverings, ammunition. Now all that subject in our forensic investigation. Police have been searching a home also in Guildford. Their sea's closed and mobile phones. Sixteen year old in custody. He has been charged with multiple offenses, including driving and disposing of a stole car. The head of the task force is Detective Superintendent Jason Box.
Speaker 5: And the repercussions are enormous for them. It's not just a matter of driving a car to this location and leaving it there. It's just a matter of assisting these people to carry out these offenses. They will be dealt with and in most cases with the sustain of offense that the main offenders will be charged with.
Speaker 2: So the sixteen year old will before the courts and police will obviously lead to This is only a minor player, but it's one part of a much more complicated jigsaw puzzle. Good news for customers of the Commonwealth Bank. The Commonwealth Bank has fixed their app. There was an issue this afternoon over the past couple of hours that Commonwealth Bank customers could not trans money transfer money from account to account when using their app. Well, the comm Bank has now fixed that. They've just given us a statement. An issue affecting some transfers from combak accounts has been fixed. You can now make transfers between your accounts and pay someone using PAYID or BSB an account number in net bank and the Combank app did affect our desktop computers and their website as well. Making payments using your cards using ATMs was not affected. The Comwealth Bank says we are sorry for the inconvenience and we thank you for your patients. Well, the Australian Electoral Commission is continuing to count. They're continuing their recount in the seat of Bradfield. Now the gap between Gizl Captiri and the Liberal and Nicolett Buller the teal has narrowed yet again. Miscapteriian is in front by one vote the AEC, so there's nothing in this. The AAC says it will not be until mid to late next week until they have a result. Thank goodness. It actually wasn't a quick election. Imagine if the election came down to this one seat to Bradfield and the Tiles, if it was going to be Nicolett Buller winning this seat, the Teals would have had enormous power in a minority government. But we wouldn't know, We may not know who the prime Minister is going to be. Thankfully we're not going to be a minority government. I don't think minority government would have been good for any of us. I think we're best with the majority government the AAC. You don't want to rush the AAC. They need to take care with these things. Meanwhile, still on politics, the staffter doing The fallout from Susan Lee's decision about who to include and who to exclude from her shadow cabinet is intensifying. Jane Hume. Of course, she was the shadow Finance Minister, had a big profile before the election. She has spoken out after she was dumped. She's not part of the cabinet or even the out of ministry. She was asked on Sunrise if she thinks she's been punished for her bungled work from home policy.
Speaker 6: If you're asking me whether I've been I feel hurt or slighted by this move from Susan Well, of course it hurts, you know, it hurts professionally because I was such a hard working and prolific and high profile member of the front bench in the previous in the previous opposition. And it hurts personally too because you know Susan and I are friends. But isn't this the point now? This isn't the playground, this is the Parliament. I'm not here to make friends.
Speaker 2: Not here to make friends. And she's probably out on the outer now with Susan Lee, and there's probably no going high tis in Parliament Houses cafe in the near huwe if you've got a view on the Liberals one three one eight seven three. We've got plenty coming up in the program today, including MG with his tips after five point thirty. If you'd like to have you say semi a text message zero force zero eight seven three eight seven three. This is Sydney now. Health Scope has had a reprieve of sorts. Health Scope is the operator of thirty seven private hospitals around the country, but also the Northern Beaches Hospital, which is in part a public hospital including public emergency. This week, the company's owners confirmed they've gone into receivership Well news today that they have reached a deal with the many of the public hub the buildings. Physically they trade out of the private hospitals to defer rent payments on eleven of those particular hospitals, So they don't physically own those eleven hospitals. They operate hospitals there, but the landlords have agreed to defer their rent. That means that outstanding rent for March and April will be paid, but then they won't need to pay any more rent until August. The CEO of health Scope, Tina Lespina, has indicated that there should be a new owner by me August, and he is confident that there's a lot of interest in purchasing health Scope. One three one eight seven three is our number. Yesterday I brought to you the story about one of our listeners, Andrew, and I think this is just staggering and it is such a typical example of the way councils operate around Sydney. Andrews to listen to the program. He's a veteran of the Defense Force. He used a Bobcat to save his neighbours home roughly this time last week in Londondery from flooding during last week's down for it. His neighbor's home has flooded before. Stormwater drain was all blocked up, was full of debris. So wisely Andrew did the right thing by his neighbor and cleaned out the stormwater drain with his bobcat.
Speaker 7: Walk down and observed the drain that we've had plenty of history. Risen would notify cancel on numerous occasions they've come out and inspected it. I went down and had to look at it and it was just backing up.
Speaker 8: It was blocked with debris and dirt, and I ran back up in mcgumboots because of the flight of the road was flooding and you know, there were minutes to spare before again the water.
Speaker 7: Inundated my neighbor's home. So I started the Bobcat up, drove down and used the Bobcat to remove the debris in a safe manner. I placed the debris off to the side of the road and I unblocked the drain effective immediately the water started running properly, and the great news was our neighbor's place for the first time didn't flood after a storm event like that. Unfortunately, I returned and our house had flooded.
Speaker 2: So his hazard flooded a lot of flash flooding around that area at this time last week. But his neighbor had names has was saved because he did the right thing and he unblocked the drain well. Penris City Council weren't happy.
Speaker 7: I was literally pulling out the carpet. The next day, Friday morning, I had underlay and you know, pulling out the bleak carpet, and council arrived on our doorstep and stated basically that they were waiting for windsor police to attend the scene, that I was going to be charged with operating bobcat that wasn't registered on a public road. And I said, so maybe if that was the case, this was an emergency situation. I had minutes to react. I acted in a safe manner and achieve the mission which I had to.
Speaker 9: They help the bloody neighbor, and if.
Speaker 10: They feel that way, go ahead and do it. I really don't care.
Speaker 7: I'd do it in a heartbeat again tomorrow if it means helping out our neighbors or protecting life called property.
Speaker 2: Andrew, so late in the program, you might have missed this. So I'll read this to you. Late in the program, the council provided us with a statement counsel takes all flooding complates seriously and as a regular maintenance program to serve as storm water and rural drains. Counselors aware of localized flooding in the area. However, the drains were responding as designed during the rain event. Well not in this case, because homes were flooded. They say, we're continuing to investigate the matter further. When inappropriate and unauthorized works are carried out, compliance action may be taken. This is for the safety of all in our community. So when inappropriate or unauthorized works are carried out, those unauthorized works would be Andrew cleaning out the block drain that they're responsible for to save his neighbors. Well, rightly, we wanted to talk to the mayor today. The mayor is Todd Carney. No, not that Todd Carney. The mayor is Todd Carney, who's been in charge of Penricity Council now for a couple of years. He's a Deesel mechanic, probably understands Bobcats very well. He's a good man. Todd. I've spoken to Todd on this program on numerous occasions over the past couple of years. But we can't talk to Todd. No, we can't talk to the mayor. The council's PR officer has written to us and says I'll read you the whole email. Availability isn't an issue for Todd, but as the matter is still under an investigation, it's not appropriate to discuss through the media. Really, availability is not an issue, so he can talk to us, but he can't talk to us on the media because it's subject to investigation. Why not, seriously, why not discuss it? What is there to investigate? Andrew admits he used a bobcat for about I think eight minutes to one block a drain that the council is responsible for and should have kept unblocked. What sort of investigation do we need, like a royal commission? Should we call a royal commission into this one? We've just been through the pandemic. Do we bring in the UNHCR to order an investigation in It's like what caused COVID? Was it the lab in Wuhan? Is this an investigation on the scale of IKAC investigating Gladysbury Jiclian's relationship with Darren Maguire. It's gonna be that thorough. Are we going to have public hearings? Will the full bench of the Federal Court be involved. Andrew's not hiding anything. He used his bobcat to clean out a drain that you Penrith Council are responsible for and hadn't cleaned out, and that was threatening to flood his neighbor's home, which has flooded in the past. That's all. And then you have the hide to threaten to bill him to remove the debris that he removed from the drain and then say the police also might lay charges and find you and the mayor can't talk because it's subject to an investigation. Seriously, what utter garbage? That is complete and utter garbage. That's a good reason to actually get rid of councils papers leaking.
Speaker 11: Okay, I'll be right back. Emergency emergency summonsored and needs your help. Rescue team, Rescue team, come help us.
Speaker 2: That's baby Bus, very popular cartoon with kids. Maybe maybe we should get them to actually help in the streets of Penrith and Londondry when the pipes have burst or when there's a full water main when the stormwater drain isn't working as intended, because they'll actually respond to an emergency, unlike the Council and.
Speaker 12: Good Josh Bright, Good afternoon Clinton. US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth says the relationship with Australia is as strong as ever, as he met with Richard Miles on the sidelines of a security conference in Singapore. Building approvals are at a nine month low, according to the latest figures from the Bureau of Statistics. Fewer apartments we're giving the green light. In April, Pauline Hanson says she's elated with one Nation's performance at the federal election, with a minor party doubling its number of senators. Adamn has been extradited from New Zealand and charged in relation to a twenty sixteen armed robbery in Perth. It's alleged he continued to taunt investigators by phoning from New Zealand and saying catch me if you can. In Sport, tomorrow night's NRL class at Brookvale Oval between the Seagles and the Broncos has been declared to sell out manly trying to avoid a fourth straight defeat at home we'll have more news and sported for thanks.
Speaker 2: Josh twenty degrees in the CBD twenty one degrees in Campbelltown at the moment. Coming up later in the program, I'm going to talk to one of the business owners that we spoke to when we were hosting the show from Tare on Monday about how the week has progressed with the cleanup following the floods and whether she's satisfied with what the government's offering in terms of financial support. The King and Queen Camilla have released a statement today to pass on their concerns about the flood. Statement reads, My wife and I have been so greatly concerned to hear of the widespread and devastating flooding across the Hunter in the mid North Coast. Only say that our thoughts are very much with all those people who've been affected so badly, especially the family and friends of the five people who tragically lost their lives. We send our special prayers and our deepest possible sympathy sympathy to all those who mourn them. That's a message from King Charles and Queen Camilla. Twenty eight to four will cross to peter Ford in just a moment, but the lines are gone in the meltdown on the feedback line, zero force like zero eight seven three out seven three about the behavior of Penrith Council, their threat to issue fines and to even bill one of our listeners, Andrew, who had the temerity to use his bobcat to unblock a drain that they're responsible for and to protect his neighbors from a flood. Scott says, if anything, old mate and his Bobcat should be billing the council for doing their job. It should be given the Citizen of the Year award. Zach says, good on him for helping the neighbor. That is so counsels. Mick says, seriously, the response from Penwrith Council shows how pathetic they are because the mayor, Todd Carney, who's a good man, didn't play much football. Different Todd Carney. I've spoken to him on the show before, but the pr hacks that the council won't let him come on because they say it's subject to investigation. Roz is in mos VWL. Hello ros Oh Hi Klinton.
Speaker 13: I'm just wondering how they can be taking it seriously After the councilor you spoke to yesterday, raised this very issue about this very drained and the very neighbor last year who's been flooded two minutes after she laid a new carpet after previously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had a plan to spend seven million dollars and it would have been his money. It's rate payers money to spend that money to upgrade the storm water drain system. And the government didn't or that the counsel didn't approve it.
Speaker 4: Ridiculous, ridiculously ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Keep on it, thanks, ros. We certainly will. And look, I beg to speak Todd Carney. Maybe he'll change his mind and he'll come on the program later the day because he's a good fella. He's a diesel mechanic. He understands bobcats. Does he have a Bobcat LICENSEE? Maybe we'll get him a Bobcat license, we'll organize it. Maybe he can go out there with his Bobcat himself. But Andrew's got one, Andrew knows how to use it, and he's doing a lot of good around the community to help other people.
Speaker 1: You're listening to sit now with Clinton Maynard on TGB cool Now one three one eight.
Speaker 2: Seven three, Let's talk to me at detainment. Channel seven is changing their afternoon programming lineup. Peter Ford, good afternoon.
Speaker 9: Good afternoon to you Clinton. Yeah, an interesting move today announced by seven. In amongst various changes, one of the more significant was the current seven Sydney news director Sean Power, is relocating to Melbourne and he looks bag on a variety of different duties, but one of them will to be overseeing the putting together a brand new national show. Now they haven't specified it's an afternoon show, but certainly there's been a lot of buzz around for the last couple of weeks that seven are planning to do a probably three o'clock in the afternoon show. We don't know whether that would be an advatorial based program or whether it's strictly news program. I guess with Sean envolved, probably you'd be leaning more towards it not being advertorial based, but an interesting program. Bean decision for them. As you know, the afternoon goes on, it becomes more and more important for them to grab viewers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was at Channel seven very briefly, had a very brief television career. Peet. They decided to get rid of me, which is fair enough. But about it was at the time of the Iraq War, around maybe two thousand and three, two thousand and four, and at that point everything in news was about the six pm news and this is before the days obviously of well the Sky News exist in then, but the streaming services weren't around them, and the boss at the time he decided to introduce a four thirty news bought and the reason for that was because of the war, and once it started it was popular, people watched it, so they kept it ever since.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, interesting how sometimes things can just evolve like that. There's been a little bit of buzz around that Alex Cullen might stage you come back and be fronting this new program.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 9: Alex of course was with The Today Show till a couple of months ago, and that all was very messy and unfortunate, so this would be a good gig for him. It'd opt to relocate with his family to Melbourne. But yeah, we'll get more information as the weeks go on.
Speaker 2: Mag there is being swamped with messages of support, but also probably understandably interview requests.
Speaker 9: Yeah, a lot of interview requests. All the obvious suspects have come out to say, will you come on our show? Can we do an interview with you? She's saying no to everything, which perhaps either indicates that she basically has said what she wants to say for now, or it might mean that she already has secured a magazine deal, a paid deal, or a TV deal, in which case obviously she can't say anymore until that commitment has been fulfilled. But incredible number of messages on social media, and this really is when you do see social media at its best, and people from Kylie Mino to Sam Neil, Terry Irwin, Danny Minou, Dave Views, Natalie and Brilliant or getting on there and sending her love and support, as well as about fourteen thousand other regular people just felt the need and the desire to do the exact same thing. So she certainly does have a lot of good will behind her on this journey.
Speaker 2: One of our listeners got in contact with me late yesterday and her mother was diagnosed with the same condition now many years ago, and her mum was given six months to live. Twenty years later, she's still here, So this.
Speaker 9: Wow, that's fantastic. Yeah, And even in that space of twenty years. I'm sure that the treatments available are probably vastly improved as well. So yeah, she has great confidence. I exchanged messages with her last night and she's getting swamps, so that it was only a brief message back, but yeah, you just get a She's certainly been buoyed by the great number of people who've come forward and said good on you.
Speaker 2: Oh good well. Peter passed on the thoughts of all the listeners to this program in this station, everyone, no matter what their political opinions are or what entertainment they enjoy. I think everyone has some time for and the best wishes are.
Speaker 10: With her one percent.
Speaker 9: Thanks perthin.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to Peter Ford next week.
Speaker 1: If it's happening in Sydney, you'll hear and on Sydney now with Clinton Maynard on.
Speaker 2: To gb There has been a fall in the number of new buildings approved homes, apartments and also free standing housing. Figures from the Australian Bureau Statistics have been released today that show the number of dwellings approved has fallen by five point seven percent in April to fourteen thy six hundred and thirty three. Now, this is across the whole country in New South Wales, there's actually been an increase, which is good because it's needed. An increase of seven point three percent. No doubt Chris Mens will be happy to read those figures given what happened with Rocil Racecourse this week. If you see something on the roads or even the public transport network that we need to know about this afternoon, send me a text message zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. Steve told us about that accident that's occurred on the M two. It's involving three vehicles. It is westbound just past the Lane Cove Road exit. Now there's a lot of traffic in the area. There are no emergency services there yet. Hopefully they're going to get there pretty quickly because that is going to cause traffic chaos. One three one eight seven three. Tell me when was the last time you checked your smoke alarm. This is an important reminder because winter begins on Sunday and continuously we see year after you're in winter and increase in house fires. There's been a couple in the last forty eight hours. There was a house fire and Bonnie Rig this morning and the residents admit they've admitted to Fire and Rescue that they had actually switched off the smoke alarms. They disconnected the smoke alarms, reason being they apparently cook a lot. It's probably not a real good reason to turn off your smoke alarm. Jeremy Futrell is the Commissioner of Fire and Rescue, New South Wales and joins a steaker for your time, Commissioner kay clean good to be with you. This is an important reminder because winter starts on Monday. On Sunday it is.
Speaker 15: And it's the time of the year when we see the greatest number of fires in people's homes, and it's the time of the year unfortunately we see a rise in the number of injuries and fatalities from fires, and a lot of that is due to people not having a working smoke alarm.
Speaker 2: We've been hammering the smoke alarm message, that would seem Jeremy for twenty odd years now. And it's when you build house obviously you need smoke alarms in there. So why do you think some many people do don't have the more have working alarms.
Speaker 15: Well, smoke alarms have been required in New South Wales for almost twenty years now. People I think have got a little bit complacent. They're the thing on the ceiling that we hope we never ever need. But when you need it, you need it more than anything. And the biggest single thing that people can do to make sure that they and their families stay safe is to have working smoke alarms in their homes. And so Fire and Rescue are recommending everyone to take a bit of time tomorrow on Sunday to spend a few minutes to check their smoke alarm because people will often tell us, oh, yeah, we've got a smoke alarm, but when we actually check it or when we see it, it's not working. And we know that that's in about almost fifty percent of the homes that we go into. So there's a big risk out there for people. And we also see the people that do die or get seriously injured in fires, a very great proportion of them don't have working smoke alarms.
Speaker 2: And yes, there are two main styles of smoke alarms, the ones that are the hardwired into your home and ones you might as buy hardware store buntings or something like that on batteries. Is there really a difference between the two. Should you have the hard wire one over the battery ones.
Speaker 15: No, people may have a hard wire one if their house has been built in more recent times, but either of those options, they're all designed to comply with appropriate Australian standard and that means that they'll operate and work in the same way. The hardwired ones will often have the advantage of being interconnected, so that means if one goes off, any other alarms in the house will go off at the same time. But you can even get battery ones that you install manually that have that functionality now with that sort of Bluetooth Wi Fi type connection skills.
Speaker 16: So there's a.
Speaker 15: Range of options, but the bottom line is there's not really any excuse for fifteen or twenty dollars. You can get a smoke alarm that's going to provide invaluable protection for you and your family, to give you the early notice to be able to get out quickly. And what we're seeing now, particularly in more recent years with things from liftium ion battery fires, just how quickly the fires are developing, and so having that early notice is really the best protection that people can have to become alert of a problem and then take action to get out safely.
Speaker 2: And just on those batteries. Jeremy, we've spoken, we spoken on this program before with you about the electric bikes. But you might not have an electric bike, but most of us, you know, in a garage these days, have some sort of battery device because so many appliances are using them.
Speaker 15: Now, yeah, that's right, And just you know, through the course of the last week, we've had a number of fires involving litium ion batteries. Some of them were bike batteries that others were batteries in other devices as well. The one thing that they all have in common is when they fail, they fail really quickly and so suddenly people will have a very intense fire developing inside their home when one of these batteries fail.
Speaker 2: Just so you've got you've got some garden tools, and they use one of those battery packs that you use on different tools. If you haven't brought it off the internet from some dodgy website, you've brought it from a hardware store. Is it safe to leave those on charging overnight or should you are your best to turn them off?
Speaker 15: The best thing is to turn them off and take them out of the charger once they're we charged, So put it on you know, maybe finish mo on the lawn or doing the edges or whatever you're doing. Put it onto charge, you know, go and get cleaned up from working in the yard, watch the football at the end of the football game, go down and take it off, you know, give it that time that it needs to charge up. But certainly not leaving it on overnight. That's the times when people are overcharging things. Well, they might leave it on for days and days, and you know that's where people are at a greater risk or something not going right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just just lastly, Jeremy, the reason I wanted to talk to you is one because you have the smoke alb action down Sunday. But secondly, I heard about the fire this morning at Bonnie Rick. Unfortunately not nobody was harmed, but your officers obviously had to attend to it. The resident has admitted to your teams that they turn the smoke alarms off because they cook a lot. Just you know, you might cook a lot, but it's not a reason to turn alarm off, is it.
Speaker 17: No.
Speaker 15: And the big thing is putting smoke alarms inappropriate location so you don't necessarily need it in the kitchen or near the kitchen because that is going to cause that annoyance, and that's when we do see people, you know, disconnecting the smoke alarms or covering them up. So you know, if that's the case, talk to your electrician. If it's a hardwired one and get them to reposition them for you, or if it is just a battery one that you can install or remove, you know, take it down and put it in a better spot. The space where we really want them is particularly close to the bedroom so that when people are asleep at night, they don't smell the smoke, and that's the smoke alarm that will detect the smoke and give them the alarm and wake them up to get out.
Speaker 2: Actually, just finally you mentioned the electrician there. If we have some maybe some elderly people listening who aren't quite sure what to do, can they drop into a fire station, just ask you guys.
Speaker 15: Oh, I definitely, And they don't even have to drop in if they want to, just call their local fire station or they can get online at fire dot NSW, dot gov dot au. But either way they can ask for the firefighters to come out and check their smoke alarms. If people don't have smoke alarms, we'll put them in and make sure that they're safe and the batteries if they've made new batteries, will check them they're working and replace any batteries. Particularly for the elderly people in our community or those that are vulnerable in any way, please reach out to the fire stations. Your crews are always happy to come out and check and to make sure people are safe in their own homes.
Speaker 2: Good on your Jeremy for doing that because I know some people just don't understand how these things work and could do with that help. Thank you, Commissioner. Thanks very much, Commissioner Jeremy fair Trail from Fine Rescue, New South Wales. So Sunday is the day because it's the first day of winter. Just that reminder to check your smoke alarms. Look a lot. Probably more people than you think turn them off because you're in the kitchen, you're cooking the sausages and they give it smoking. The smoke alarm starts going off and you they're waving a broomstick trying to bash away the smoke. But think about where that smoke alarm is. There can be better locations of where you could have it in your home. Plenty of dramas on the roads. If you see something, let me know one three one eight seventy three from one of our listeners, there's a car accident Withers Road, Rouse Hill at the moment, really heavy traffic there and the emergency services are not there yet. Just one car involved. It's blocking one of the lanes. No one appears to be hurt. It's six to four Fresh Food Friday. Thanks to our great mates at Harris farm Markets. They have partners of our program, Harris farm Markets. They're opening up all over Sydney. I think they're going to open up one in my place. I can't wait for that to happen. Let's find out what's good at the moment. Carlos Cerevello is the head of fresh buying at Harris farm Markets.
Speaker 10: Get I Carlo, Hey, good afternoon, Clinton.
Speaker 3: How we going.
Speaker 2: I'm good. I'm looking forward to some nice fruit this weekend, just given we're now heading into winter. What's good right now?
Speaker 3: Well, there's putting a good stuff in for it this week. We got it's we're in the middle of apple and pear season, so they're all right on point. At the moment. We actually have our imperfect PACKMS on in all thors at a really good price. Strangely enough, Clinton, I know it's not the right weather for it, but seedless melanie is really really good value and amazing quality. At this time of year. We draw it out of the territory in Queensland. It's unfortunate the weather doesn't really sue, but it just eating so well. It's nice, hard and crunchy and super sweet. But I suppose it's the price which is keeping those prices down. But customers don't be afraid to get in it and try the seedlers. No one is amazing eating this week.
Speaker 2: What about vegetables.
Speaker 3: Vegetable markets quite stable and there's a lot of good values throughout vegetables. There's a couple of noted exceptions to that, Clinton, which I'd like to let everyone know that tomatoes are about as expensive as they get. They hit one hundred bucks in the wholesale markets this week, which is obscene. And beans we are in what we call a planting gap, and that is, you know, when it rains, obviously farmers can't access their grounds to plant because it's not too wet and unsuitable for equipment to go over, So we get what we call a planting gap, and that's what we're in. But lest assured that this is done a short term phenomenon. We expect it to change pretty quickly in the next week or so. So that but they are extremely expensive this week. But we don't want to we don't want to panic or we have it the next reason for an interest rate rider like that, it's a short term phenomenon.
Speaker 2: I know, the inflation rate. When they came out with the inflation rate figures at the ABS this week, they actually blamed eggs. Seriously. They said part of it the high egg prices because of inflation run us through the weekend specials at Harris Farm Markets.
Speaker 3: This week, well, we've got some fantastic stuff. We've got snow white cup mushrooms on at eight ninety ninety k saving about four or five bucks and they are superb Banana's on this weekend at two ninety nine, which was a couple of dollars saving, and they are tremendous eating Charlotte's ninety nine cents a bunch. You would be hard pressed to find cheaper Shalotts in Sydney and at ninety nine cents a bunch and Klee for all the exercise breaks out there at two bunches for two bucks fifty. They are mostly Sydney based and grown so support the local growers and they are also fantastic quality.
Speaker 2: This week, now, I mentioned the start there that you've got Sydney stores everywhere these days, but you have that a busy week because you've just opened your store in Merrickville.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we kicked off Marrickville last Thursday and it was obviously the weather wasn't really great weather open the stop. But it's settled down nicely there in Marrackville and no, it's traveling really really well. We're coming out to your where we're going into the Shire and in a few months we'll be in Miranda.
Speaker 2: We've been waiting Miranda.
Speaker 3: So it'll be a fantastic shop and it's only I think you'll see that around September and it'll be an amazing store.
Speaker 2: Excellent. I'm glad to hear that.
Speaker 10: Good on you, Carlo, have a great weekend.
Speaker 2: You two, mate. Carlo Siravolo, who's the head of fresh buying at Harris Farmer Markets. Harris farm Markets fifty years of providing the fresher fruits, veggies and meats. They're still family owned. Find you need restore Harrisfarm dot com, dot you. They have opened the Numeric full store and yes they're opening at Miranda later this year. This is Sydney. Now we've clinton on to gin b Well. I promised to be no delays on the trains this afternoon. I did not promise there be no problems in the roads and certainly there are dramas all over the place. Hearing about some significant delays now on both the M four and the M five. Gree thank you for sending that message at in Croydon, the Croydon area westbound M four and then the M eight. Thank you Gregory. Now we've brought you that news. Just before the news, there's been an accident involving a police car in Wentworthville. It's occurred on the Cumberland Highway just near railway overpassed so Dacey Road. Occurred three forty five. Now we've just spoken with the police about this. They've confirmed there was a crash involving another vehicle. Our listeners tell us it was a Mercedes Benz. It was driven by a woman we believe who looks like she's okay. One of our listeners saw her sitting by the side of the road that she looks like she's okay, probably in shock. Three police vehicles have rushed to the scene. In the traffic the northbound lanes are now banked up. The ambulance is also heading there to check that everyone's all right. The police are telling us they're unsure of any injuries now. Our witnesses tell us it looked like the police are okay, but we don't have that confirmed yet from the paramedics. But that is an accident involving one police car. Also, a Mercedes Benz has been a t bone. It's just near the railway overpass in Wentworthville on the Cumberland Highway, so if you're driving through that area, please take some care.
Speaker 1: We are part of Sydney now with Clinton Maynard called one three one eight seven three.
Speaker 2: Coming up after five o'clock. I'll be talking to one of the business owners that we spoke to when we were in Tarare early this week about how she's now coping almost a week on from the floods. The Premier has been there this week, the Prime Minister's been there this week. They've announced various packages of financial assist and so I don't think they're going to make a huge amount of difference. It's a start, but both the Premier and the Prime Minister says there will be more help on the way, and I think that's necessary. What is critical for those that have gone through this flood is that changes are made to how insurance operates in these areas that are commonly flooded. And Tari unfortunately was flooded also in twenty twenty one, which effectively means the insurance companies and I spoke with the Insurance Council and they say that the suggestion that the whole of the mid North Coast won't be able to be ensured, that's not correct. But there will be areas around Tari when there already are where it's completely unaffordable to ensure your house because insurance premiums per year can be twenty twenty five even thirty thousand dollars a year. There needs to be a long term solution because it's not easy just to say to somebody if they've lived in a spot their whole life, and if their business operates there as well, just believe I'll look at that again after five o'clock. But need is today that a fourth man has been charged over looting looting in Tari. This was a bloke who was on a bike pushbike. The police stopped him in Crescent Avenue in Tari. They searched his bags. The police say they found items suspected of being stolen, including credit card, business records, jewelry and watchers. Thirty seven year old man take it to Tari police station, charged with various offenses, including six counts of goods in personal custody, but also not wearing a bike helmet. I'm sure that's the one he's worried about. That he is appearing before the courts. He is now on bail. He's actually been refused bail, so well done to the magistrate in the Tari Local Court. He'll reappear in court on Tuesday. Three other men have also been charged with looting, a twenty year old, a twenty nine year old and a forty four year old. One of those men is accused of stealing a defibrillator. That's right, stealing something that saves people's lives. Ten past four. I've still got so much feedback here about the story. We spoke to one of our listeners about yesterday and also touched on the first hour Andrew who lives in Londonderry, who is a veteran, and he's a kind hearted veella. He's got a Bobcat and he helped his next door neighbor from their home being flooded by unblocking a drain. And he did this because he has the skills and because the council didn't. The council is responsible for stormwater drains in Londonderry and the situation was that the home next door to our listener Andrew has been flooded previously and the drain was so clogged up. He was deeply concerned that that home had be flooded again, so he did the right thing and unblocked it. And I've got some messages here because Penrith Council is threatening to issue him with a bill to clean up the debris that he uses Bobcat to remove from the drain, and then they've said the police may consider charging him as well. It's ridiculous. He should be given the Citizen of the Year award, but no, he could be copying a fine. Absolutely crazy. Now I asked to speak with the mayor today, Todd Carney, and we've been formally told availability isn't an issue. The matter is still under investigation, so it's not appropriate to discuss through the media. Why not what sort of investigation they running? They need to run a Royal Commission, special Commission of inquiry. What do we need to bring in a former Supreme Court judge to examine why he used his bobcat to unblock a drain faired income from Sara on the text line, oh my goodness, I am sick of counsels and their bully boy attitude. It is just pathetic. Another one of our listeners, can you sue a council for failure to keep drains clear of debris if your house gets flooded? We should get rid of local council was one hundred percent. Look, I want to actually have a look at this broader issue from somebody who actually understands the state of our stormwater system and drainage systems. We know we have a fairly old pipe network and that's the reality of the age of our city, but what can be done to improve it? What can be done to prevent stormwater drains from bursting and causing floods in our neighborhood. Nathaniel Smith is the CEO of the Master Plumbers Association and joins me. Thank you for your time.
Speaker 18: Nathaniel, Yeah, good thee here from mc clinton.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to talk about the bigger picture to start with the Sydney's stormwater drain system at the moment, is it up to scratch.
Speaker 18: Well, it would be penned from council to council. Many councils run a pretty good maintenance system. They look after their streets, they make sure that the stormwater is flowing. They regularly cleaned. Others may not, So it depend on the council and the financial position of the council. How it's ran the culture of the unseil. Do they have their own works team? Do they subcontract the whole range of things like that?
Speaker 2: And is that how it works across the whole of Sydney and greater New South Wales. The councils are completely responsible or is there an element where Sydney Water has responsibility for stormwater.
Speaker 18: Sydney Water is mainly responsible for the sewer and water and obviously water in New South Wales. Water in New South Wales sort of runs the obviously dams and the network. But then in regional areas that they're in charge of, say the sewer and the water and the storm water as well. So for instance, I live in Wig your Carriby Shyke Council and they look after all three.
Speaker 2: Because on the surface, and I know you've been involved in government as well, you're part of the previous state government. I know that whenever we get a lot of rain in Sydney and it's sudden rain, it would appear anecdotally that our stormwater system doesn't really cope. Well, we have flash flooding all over Sydney.
Speaker 18: Well that's right, because it's very old infrastructure and we're going up and up, up, and we're building up and up, and there's less screen space for water to basically dissolve into the ground. And when you've got old infrastructure that wasn't used to that population, say thirty forty years ago, you're going to get it's going to back up.
Speaker 2: So how do you get around it? Do we need to replace all the pipes? Do we need to expand the system dramatically?
Speaker 18: You need to obviously expand the pipes. Is there's ways they can do that now, some new technologies where they pipe blasting. It's called there's a couple of companies that do that where they can expand the size of the pipework under the ground. That's one way, but obviously it's really studying these areas and that's why those do flood studies regularly and a lot of council areas, and that's why some people can't build in certain places.
Speaker 2: The cost of be extraordinary, wouldn't it.
Speaker 18: It is extraordinary. Yeah, The infrastructure for stormwater is very expensive because you're taught looking in some areas, you know, five hundred pipes, concrete, civil pipes. Its heavy civil work, and you know you're talking about easements where you take opening up whole roads. So it's very expensive. One way to try and keep as much water on the property as by people having rain water tanks in their backyard or under their house if they can, if they can do it, that would take pressure off the stormwater system. But that's one that's one tiny solution. But really it's just preventive maintenance.
Speaker 2: You've heard our story about you've heard our story and I thank you about our listener who has been threatened with fines that the council says they are going to send him a bill because he removed debris from their still more to drain, and now they've got to remove the rest of the debris. You think it shows a lack of understanding from the council that they're taking that action against this fella.
Speaker 18: That's absolutely outrageous. The council should be obviously maintaining these streets, and the debris has obviously come from trees that aren't probably obviously in that person's property. And really, I think local government should be focusing other things and running investigations. They should be focusing on maintaining their streets, their pathways and their drains.
Speaker 2: I know there's a thorough investigation. Looks like bring the full bench to the federal courting to run it as well. Andrew, this fella, Andrew, he had a bobcat. He used it for eight minutes or so to unblock the drain and it was actually effective. What do you think about Andrew.
Speaker 18: Oh, Andrew, it sounds like an absolute legend. He should be getting a Citizen of the Year, not looking at getting a fine from counsel. He was doing their work for them, and unfortunately you'll have this with local government areas state government pure cats. They don't like to be shown up. They do not like to be shown up. They never like to admit that they're wrong because then everyone would second guess them. But I think it's outrageous that he's been investigated. I think they should drop it right now because he's doing good community service.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, absolutely appreciate your insight. Thank you, Nathaniel, No problem Doneiel Smith. He's the CEO of the Master Plumbers Association. So it's not an easy situation to fix across the city because we have aging infrastructure, we have a growing population. We know about the challenges that that brings, so it's not easy just to replace the entire pipe network. The councils firstly have an obligation to maintain their systems, and then when somebody does the right thing by their neighbors, the council should respond by saying, oh gee, thanks mate, we really appreciate your helping us out there. Yet yeah, we were the ones who actually have stuffed up by not clearing out the drain soon enough. You've actually helped people. Thank you so much. You know what will bring you along to our next big council meeting and will award you the Citizen of Londonderry award. How about that. No, no, no, no, no, Penrith Council. They just want to find him. They just want to bring the police in and then the mayor. No, no mayor confront up because part of a formal investigation.
Speaker 11: Complainer's leaking. Okay, I'll be right back. Emergency emergency, someone sort and needs your help. Rescue team, rescue team, come help us.
Speaker 2: Well, Penrith Council won't come help us.
Speaker 10: No way.
Speaker 2: You got a view on that one three one, eight, seven, three, twenty two past forty your calls and your feedback on Penrith Council in just a moment. Susan Lee has today laid her mother to rest, Angela Mary Braybrooks, passed away during the leadership battle. She was ninety three years of age. There's been a touching ceremony in her hometown of Aubrey today at Saint Matthew's Church, and Susan Lee has delivered an extraordinary eulogy and she was actually joined by some of her coalition colleagues. And this is actually what what I should make note of. Barnaby Joyce and Michael McCormack both at the service. Now Barnaby Joyce and Michael McCormack, and you might call them elders now the National Party. They missed out on spots in the front bench. Now that actually isn't the call of Susan Lee. Effectively, that's David Little Prowd's call. But for them to obviously they are disappointed and they've made public comment about that. They're disappointed to not be part of the coalition front benchmen. Both are former Deputy Prime ministers. I think that says a lot about their character. For those two National Party MPs to attend the funeral service of Susan Lee's mother. She gave the eulogy and she obviously was very emotional during that, and she spoke of the loss that she felt following the death of both her parents. She thanked her mother for lessons in resilience and tenacity, she told the service. When you've lost both of your parents, it feels as if the roof has lifted off your world, she told the congregation. As I sat quietly last weekend in a precious window of time, going through my mother's papers, letters and photographs, I had a deep sense of gratitude for the things she taught meatience, persistence and self reliance, how to lift your eyes and without fear take on the world well. Susan Lee is certainly going to take on a lot in the coming months and coming years as the first female leader of the Federal Liberal Party and the Opposition. It's twenty four past four one one eight seven three is our number on Penrith Council. Sue, are you a constituent of Penrith Council?
Speaker 14: I am.
Speaker 16: I am a resident in Penrith Council with an open drain, and our drain I maintain it's it's it's like.
Speaker 13: A lovely lawn.
Speaker 16: But either side of me, this open drain is unmaintained. And what happens every time we get a big rain event, this strain to fill up and backs up because it can't get away. I have been onto this drain with council for many years and I've sent a whole heap more emails and phone call since since again since about January, and have yet to be replied to. We's also been to council meetings and about having all the drains in the area cleared, and Penriss don't want to put the extra money towards it. They just want to spend one hundred and fifty thousand dollars on a report, and there is the last time they we went in, they said, oh no, we needed to report for another area of Penris Council first.
Speaker 2: Well, so can I ask you to me a favor? Yes, I don't want you to ask your neighbors for any help, because if you ask your neighbors for help to clean out that train, you know what's going to happen.
Speaker 16: Ah, Well, they don't.
Speaker 2: They'll be like, They'll be like Andrew, They'll copp a fine from the council. They'll probably send the police around there to make arrests. Your counsel's behavior is outrageous, suit, And I'll tell you what, We're not going to drop this one. And I know Todd Carney, as I said, he's come on this program previously about other issues. He seems like a really decent bloke. But I don't know who is getting advice from because he could actually fix this really quickly. And yes, there's the greater issue of how Penrith's wastewater system is properly maintained, but he could fix the issues of neighbors who help other neighbors. Then getting into trouble by saying that's ridiculous and rip up the plan. I'm sorry to hear you going through that zoom. We're not going to stop on this one, Grant says our hero. Bobcat driver in Penrith took eight minutes to fix a problem that probably would have needed ten council workers a week. Mark says councilors should clean up the creeks and get rid of the shopping trolleys that are often dumped in creeks and are overgrown. Spot on seven three is our number. I told you about that crash wh a little earlier Cumberland Highway which is just near the railway Overplass in Wentwethfield. It is involved a police car and a Mercedes. There's been a t bone accident there. Now we've just had some more information from the paramedics. They are treating two of the police officers. It appears that they've suffered some we hope minor head injuries. They have some bleeding from the head. The paramedics are now unseen and there treating those police officers. No one else has been injured, so it's our information. There was a female driver of the Mercedes. She is I think in shock, but she hasn't been injured. Two of the northbound lanes. There are six northbound lanes there on the Cumberland Highway. Two of those lanes are closed. The southbound lanes are though open and that's flowing okay. Obviously traffic there on the Cumberland Highway at Wentworthville near the railway overpass is very heavy at the moment, so the emergency services are still there on the scene. The police officers are being treated. Two of them are being treated at the moment for head injury. Some bleeding from the head. Will provide you more details as it comes to hand on Penrith Council. There is multiple suggestions of this. When it comes to Penwrith Council.
Speaker 11: There's got to be an investigation into this.
Speaker 1: This has to be accountable for this.
Speaker 2: They ain't. They're not accountable. Let's check our news headlines. Hello, Josh Bryant, Good afternoon, Clinton.
Speaker 12: A police car is one of two vehicles involved in a crash of Wedworth Feel in Sydney's West. Two officers understood to be being treated for injuries at the scene. Polis a warning criminal groups are using young people to help carry out serious offenses. In Sydney, a sixteen year old has been charged with multiple offenses, accused of driving a so called kill car to a location in Sydney's West.
Speaker 2: A fourth man.
Speaker 12: Has now been charged with looting on the flood affected Mid North Coast of New South Wales, and Commonwealth Bank customers are being assured after earlier issues transferring money online, they have now been resolved. In sport, Australian basketballer Johnny Furphy's enjoyed a rare cameo for the New York Knicks in the NBA. He was on court for sixty seconds as the next scored a seventeen point win over the Indiana Pacers. Well, I have more news and sport at.
Speaker 2: Five, Thank you, Josh. Eighteen degrees in the city. It's nineteen degrees in Penrith at the moment. Word on the street for temper, a great night's sleep, night after not. The difference is temper. If you see something around the city, let me know about it. Zero four six zero eight seven three eight seven three. If you'd like us to investigate something, you can also email me as part of the Word on the Street. Go to our website two GB dot com. Our best word on the street every week will win two Temper Primer cooling pillows worth six hundred dollars.
Speaker 15: Look.
Speaker 2: I got this email last night from VICKI thank you Vicky for this warning. Vicky tried to apply for an ABM for her small business and she searched on Google and saw ABN registration. Now she thought this was legitimate, and she says, can you please warn your listeners about this? They charged ninety nine dollars and Vicky since discovered that an ABN is free through Service New South Wales, but it was too late. She already paid. She's trying to get her money back. She's canceled her card, she's notified fair Trade. It's inconvenient. I had to look into this today and yes, you don't pay for an ABM. You can get an ABN through the federal government. There's a federal government website ABR dot gov dot AU and you go through that process for an ABN. You can also go through Service New South Wales. But if you google, if you want if you need an ABN, and many of us do, if you google ABN payment, they'll often be sponsored posts on Google and they're various organizations and that they're offering a service to provide you with an ABM, but there is a charge. At times they can be ninety nine dollars, some of them fifty. It's a variety of them. Now they may actually offer some other benefits as well as physically providing the APN, and that's how they justify the charge. But just bear that in mind. If you want to open a small business, if for some reason you need an ABN, you don't have to pay for it. You can go to Service New South Wales or you can go to the federal government's website.
Speaker 1: ABR dot gov dot au. You'll want to know what's happening in Sydney. Stay tuned to s Now with Quinton and on to gb.
Speaker 2: The French have always been known as a very free race, a free and open society. They have announced today that they are moving to ban smoking in public places where children spend time, including beaches, parks and outside schools. It's going to come into force in July. It'll be enforced by the police. Their Health minister says the aim is to get rid of cigarettes from all places frequented by children. She says the freedom to smoke must end where the freedom to children to breathe begins. Smokers who breach the rules be find the equivalent of two hundred and thirty seven dollars. The ban will be enforced by regular police, but the Minister says she hopes people show self regulation. Just a surprise. If you've ever been to Paris, you'll know that pretty much. It's quite extraordinary. Pretty much every second person smokes, everyone does it. It's very different to the way things happen here, so it's quite surprising they've decided to take that decision. Seventy three. Vivid is continuing the evening. I went to a Vivid concert last week. Look, it was a concert by one of my favorite performers, and they dressed it up as a Vivid concert because they're from Iceland and they're touring the country and they were playing at the Opera House in the first night a Vivid. You might not have heard of them. Their name is Cigar Roos. Probably not the sort of music well usually play on this program, but I've liked them for years and years. Anyway, they were playing with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra at the Opera House, and yes, so I decided i'd be quite cultural last Friday night. Now, I must admit it's been a long time since I've been to a concert at the Opera House. It usually I usually have different tastes, and this was. This concert was magnificent. Let me tell you, I'm not afraid to admit it. I had tears welling in my eyes throughout the performance. I'm not kidding you, but this is what really jumped out of me. You know, during the performance. It wasn't until their final song, which is sort of the we might describe be a hit song. Did anybody pull the mobile phone out? Now, I go to concerts and gigs from time to time, and most of the bility the audience pull out a phone to take a photo to video it. During this no one would, and I must admit the times I even was tempted to take a photo, but no, there's no way I was going to pull out the phone because no one else was. Now is that the dumb thing when you go to a to see an orchestra, if you go to the opera house? Is that the way you do things at the opera House? I think it was magnificent. Actually think I really felt the music and felt the performance because I didn't have a phone in my hand, and I'm usually pretty good like that. I didn't go to a gig and film the whole damn thing. But I thought it was so refreshing that people were there just to enjoy the music. And right at the end, yes, at the end people did take out their phones. Not everybody, but people were using their phones to take a photo, particularly when the band and the orchestra were taking the applause and bowing to the audience there. But it was just so different that people who were not using their phone at a big concert. I just thought it was wonderful. You might need to give me a lesson in culture. Is that just that the done thing when you go along to the opera, when you go to the ballet, when you go to the Sydney Opera house. Let me know. Seven three Lego Masses returns to TV this Sunday night on nine. I'm talking to the Brickman after five o'clock, looking forward to that. Just the latest from the crash scene Cumberland Highway, Wentworthfield near the railway overpass. Emergency services are still on the scene there. There's been a crash. If you're just tuning in involving a police car and a Mercedes Benz a t bone. The driver of the Mercedes looks like she's okay, but paramedics have been treated to police officers. It appears their injuries are fairly minor, but they have been treated for some bleeding to their head. Eighteen to five Figures released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics today don't paid a positive light for the economy. Operating profits of Australian businesses as a whole have fallen by eight point six percent in the financial year twenty twenty three to twenty twenty four. The ABS says the dropping profitability of Australian companies reflects an economy responding to inflationary pressure, higher interest rates and lower global demand. Another problem for the Albaneze government to fix text messages about using mobile phones at concerts. As I've said, I went to the Opera House, first time I been to the Opera House for a concert in decades, on Friday night, and nobody touched their mobile phone until the second last song of the concert. Was a two hour concert, and I thought I tactually thought it was great and because nobody else touched their phone, I wasn't tempted to do the same thing, and then I really felt the music. I really enjoyed the experience. Ian says on the text line Eu Moss Mossi from Cold Chisel, he has banned people from using their phones to video when he's on the next two A. Yeah, that was a big story couple of weeks ago, wasn't it. Sharon says, not long ago. I saw tom Odell at the Opera House with an orchestra and had the same experience as you. People were spellbound. They forgot they had a phone. Actually, Sharon, that's what it was like. I was so engrossed in the music that you didn't really think about once you realize that other people weren't doing it. You didn't think about using your phone and you just enjoyed the music.
Speaker 1: You want to know what's happening in Sydney, stay tuned to Sydney Out with Clinton lay onto GB.
Speaker 2: The Commonwealth Bank's app and website is now back up and running. They had a problem over the course of the afternoon where their customers weren't able to transfer money between accounts using the app and the website. Comnwalth banker confirmed to US it is operating properly once again. And it can be frustrating if you're dealing with a Conwealth bank or any of our big corporations when you've got issues with them and you try to get in contact with them to try to fix them, particularly with say a company like Telstra. I wanted to talk to Luke Grant about this because Luke's had an issue with this problem lately.
Speaker 10: Hello, Luke good a Clinton. Hope things are good mate.
Speaker 2: How's Telstra doing for you? Mate?
Speaker 17: Well?
Speaker 10: First off, how was that Nanimous Skoury concert? Did you enjoy it?
Speaker 2: I went to see Cigar Roos. I know you're a big fan. You've got all their albums, haven't you what Cigar Roofs?
Speaker 10: I thought you just put me on hold? Is that actually music?
Speaker 2: It's not on hold music? So let me give you some education. Leaks all right. They've been around about twenty five years. Okay, they're from Iceland.
Speaker 10: I haven't heard I haven't heard of the Wow.
Speaker 2: The lead singer is a fellow by the name of Johncey. Okay, yes, he sings in Icelandic, but he also sings in another language that he made up himself.
Speaker 10: Okay, so I did how many of those free tickets singer en up getting?
Speaker 2: Mate, I played one hundred and seventy bucks in my ticket. I don't worry about that.
Speaker 10: Wow, you need help.
Speaker 2: I didn't understand a word he's talking about you.
Speaker 10: No, No, I'm amazed you didn't look at your phone.
Speaker 2: I've got to brush up on its landing. I should have had that Google that interprets.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you should have. You should So I we've got in some parts of the new place where we call home now we've got not great internet. So I was talking to my mate, Stephen Fennick about it last week and he said, mate, got to get yourself a mesh Wi Fi system.
Speaker 2: YEP.
Speaker 10: I said, are the easy to put together? It said, Ye're not too bad. So I pick one up and I come home and I look at the reviews. Oh, it's so easy to connect. I'm thinking this will be a This will be a snack for a technical whiz like me. Anyway, four hours later, I'm going, okay, probably time to ring someone. So I rang tell Stra and then I got the you know you'll be on hole for a while. So I saw a bug of that hung up and you've got this opportunity now to chat with them, and it generally happens a lot quicker, but they're probably chatting to I don't know. It doesn't people at the same time. So I'll answer your question and then go to then EG. So my first my first helper was a bot. Then I got referred to a human and the human said, hey, you need to talk to someone else. We'll come back to you three hours later. And I'm asleep by now. They'd say, when you're ready, just contact us again. So the first thing the next morning I read of a chat, I get the bot. The bot asked me, what's wrong. I tell her this, you need to speak to a human. I'm going to here we go. So I end up with a human an hour later, and I simply want to know some users settings and where I plug this mesh. The first mesh unit in. They tell me to stick it in the NBN modem. Anyway I do that, it doesn't work. So about an hour later I work out hang on the NBN modem's only got one line coming in and the telster outs on the same hang that won't work, and she said, ah, you find get it. What I'll finally get it anyway, three o'clock in the afternoon, I give up on them. Then I go to the Then I go to the Mesh company and they say, you've got to talk to Telstra. So I go back to Telstra, same thing in the chat and they say, oh no, you've got to talk to the Mesh company. So you know, it's down seven o'clock at night and I'm reasonably in control, but pretty set up with the whole thing. So I did what I should have done, because like a bloke, I can do anything. I don't need any help. I'm right, I'll sort it out. You know, I know a little bit about tech and we used to read ads for gigs digs to you. So I go on their website. Within ten minutes I've gotten a point. But the next day at lunchtime, it's going to be one hundred and fifty bucks something. I'll put a day and a half into this, all made it. Arrives, loves him a dog, They have a cuddle. He goes into the office. He says, oh yeah. Twenty minutes later, it's up and running and I'm saying, mate, why would they tell me to stick it in here? And he said, of course, everything's a fifty to fifty proposition, and they're hoping that you were one of the fifty fifties of work in your favor. And you'll be laughing. Mate, I'll tell you what. I'm not doing it ever again. When I buy technology or anything else, when it says would you like to install it for you, I'm going to say, please do whenever you're ready, come on around. I know it's a first world problem and I should be angry about far more significant things, but bloody hell, what a punish the customer service on the telephone and the lack of it on the chat line. Mate, I'm over it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was just first question for you, though, Luke, before you got into talking to the bot who I'm sure you become very good friends with very good friends. Did you turn it on and off again the motive?
Speaker 10: Now, listen, I've turned everything and look I nearly turned the micro point on. I've got to turn things on and off so many bloody times, I reckon in one day. The motive must have thought, what is this flake up to? Ah?
Speaker 2: But no, Look, it's such a good point you're raising, particularly when it comes to modems and NBN modems and so forth. Because everything we have now runs through that damn device. You know, my TV, all my TV now comes in by the internet, because unfortunately, I'm a Foxtel subscriber. They kind of cut off our cable service years ago and switched us to the internet, so that comes in by the TV. It turns out that I watched channel nine and Channel seven and Channel ten. That's all coming through the internet. Now, Yeah, all your computers. My fridge is connected to the damn thing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know exactly. I've got a similar home with all that stuff as well. But this bloke who was so good, great service, He's on his phone, who's got this device? He's saying, oh look there's lit by, Fine, there's a block next door, and oh look there's your fridge, and oh that must be your television. I'm going, wow, I wonder I couldn't sort this thing out. It's very complicated anyway. If you're if you're on the other side of sixty and you think I'll be out of nail this barger in a couple of minutes. Unless you're a genius, it ain't going to happen. Ain't going to happen.
Speaker 2: Get a real person and what's coming up on the show tomorrow mate.
Speaker 10: We're going to have a chat to Pauline Hanson. After the success she's had in the Senate today with those final declarations, it'll be just thing to know more about her new senators, one of which is I think a former hostage negotiator, So that'll be good sing. We'll talk to Pauline about that and what she seeds in the next next three years ahead. Look, I don't know. I mean the importance of the crossbench in the Senate that's now gone, mate, hasn't it. You got the government, the Greens get together, they get everything through. In a lower house, the government just gets whatever it wants through. So while it's not a minority government in the Senate, it'll be interesting and that's where the Greens will do some dealing. But we'll talk to Pauline Hanson. We'll get an update and that fascinating case the murder of Rachel Child's with Detective Damien Lhn. I'll get a rundown of the best shows to stream with Terry Pontikos from the AFR. Dennis Shanahan will be here, Jim Haynes looking at old Ossie movies, Craig Bennett is with me as well, Simon Stevenson and the regular array of very impressive people. And I saw it through it today in the New York Times about the transient ischemic attack, which is best described as a mini stroke and just how d angelus it can be. Maybe not enough to get you to take proper to get proper care and have it investigated. Lots of people don't, but it can lead to serious consequences down the track. So we'll look at that as well, my friend. And please tell me you tip Canbra, Please tell me you tip Canbra.
Speaker 2: I can't remember. Well, you know that I'm coming stone motherless last tipped zero from five last week. I've given up.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well you Kip Kanalla.
Speaker 2: You know we haven't spoken about that. I try to help people, can't be Oh my goodness. Hey, look I've got to leave you. I'll leave you with this, Okay, I'll leave you with this. Yeah, have you trade turning it off and on again. We'll be listening nine o'clock tomorrow, Bluke Krant. You'll hear them on Saturday and Sunday from nine Traffic Dramas Galore, Phil just letting us know about a truck breakdown Castlereat Road, Penrith. It's opposite Tempey Tires. It is closed one of the lanes that's heading towards Richmond. The traffic is horrendous. Phil's told me so. That's Penrith Castlerey Road, just opposite tempe Tires. Some bad traffic there as well. Seven to five. The sun has gone down across the city. But it looks like it's going to be quite a nice fine weekend the top of twenty tomorrow, twenty on Sunday as well. Perhaps a shower tomorrow, but it should be mostly drying. It's clear and sunny. On Sunday. The Australian electorc Commissioners updated their vote count. This is the recount in the seat of Bradfield. I think they're about to knock off for the day. We'll come on public service. They wouldn't next hang on public serves on a Friday. Just no, they have knocked off. So the recount Giselle cap She has now extended her lead over the till Nicolett Bullet. She is in front by three votes. Three votes in the recount is painstaking, isn't it so? The on a series now the AAEC says they're likely to finalize the vote recount by around mid next week or late next week. We brought you a story earlier in the week about ARPRAH is the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency. Now they are the regulators for nurses and when nurses work in hospitals and other facilities, they need to have their regulations and their registration approved by AARPRA and then they have to renew that. Now usually by the thirty first of May, but because of various problems that ARPERA is dealing with, that's been delayed until June. There are problems with the website now. Our listeners and we've received so many messages about this particular website and this experience. One of our listeners shared her experience trying to reregister her nursing qualifications. AARPRA told us they would help her sort it out well. We followed this one up off air. She's now told us she's received two phone calls from ARPRA, which is a start, because usually you can't even get through on the phone to this mob She's only been told now that she has to start the entire process all over again. She has to pay another five hundred dollars. She's already been through this process, but she's got to start from scratch. She's almost seventy and because of this whole mess, she's decided to call it quits. She's not going to be a nurse anymore. That's just completely unacceptable. We have a shortage of nurses in New South Wales. They're involved in an industrial dispute with the state government. At the moment, there's no resolution to that. It's before the IIC. We have nurses who I've now confirmed this from not just unions but multiple sources are leaving New South Wales and going to queens and because they're paid more than them. So we've got a shortage. Yet we have a regulator who can't sort their crap out and actually develop a website in a system which means nurses can just reregister. It is ridiculous, absolutely crazy when we are desperate for nurses. Coming up in the next hour of the show, Mark Guyer with his weekend footy.
Speaker 1: Tips is now we've clinton on.
Speaker 2: To Gin seven past five. The weekend is almost here, but we've had some significant dramas on the roads over the past couple of hours. Now the latest from the crash scene of the Cumberland Highway in Wentworthville where a police car has been involved in a crash with a Mercedes Benz. It's happened near the railway overpass there in Wentworthville and several of the police officers have actually been injured. Now fortunately they've been treated on the scene for some bleeding to their heads. We don't believe they have serious head injuries, so that's good. Three people have now been taken to Westmeat Hospital and two of those police officers but they are in a stable condition, so that's great. But there has been one other person as well now taken to hospital. We believe that the was a female driver of that Mercedes Benz. The crash happened just before four o'clock and caused quite a traffic problem there on the Cumberland Highway. The traffic is now moving once again. Two of the northbound lanes were actually closed for some time. Southbound's been open reopened the whole time it's been operating that the Cumberland Highway for you can still see the emergency services there near that railway overpass bridge that you probably know in Wentworthville. That's the reason. But they're now clearing away the crash site. The police officers along with one other person have been taken to hospital in a stable condition. Think if your message Amelia. Amelia has just told me about she's been at Central Station on the bus. She's just driven past Central Station and she has spotted six ambulances and also police scattered around and she's seen them then driving down past down Pam Paramounta Road. So this is Central Station in the city. Amelia says there were five more emergency vehicles driving past. We will try and find out from the police exactly what's occurred there. So Central Station just probably need that bus stop there before Paramounta Road, So southern tip of the CBD six ambulances and police. We will speak to the police now and see what we can find out about what's occurred there.
Speaker 9: Until six.
Speaker 1: This is Sydney now with Clinton Mayna on two GB You call now one three one eighty seven three.
Speaker 2: There is a minor flood warning for the Tempe Bridge in the southern part of Sydney Cook's River. The SEES has issued this warning today. It is a stay informed alert, so the prospect is for some minor flooding, potentially tonight. The Tempe River is likely to peak again tonight with the high tides, so just take some care the low lying streets in the park. Sometimes they are flooded, but property shouldn't be impacted at all. Now that is certainly not the case. On the New South Wales, Mid North Coast and Hunter Valley. There have been thousands and thousands of properties affected by the flooding of last week. Now the recovery effort is in full swing, but this is going to take a long time. As you know, I hosted the show from Tai on Monday, and as I walk through some of the areas that have been affected, and you see these things on TV and sometimes it just brushes over you. I've got to say, when I was actually walking around, particularly through a motel just on the outskirts of town, it really hit me how the people who operate that hotel, Teresa is one of the owners, how her life is just going to be turned upside down, not for the next week while she clears out the mud, for the next six months. And while I was talking to her, she was taking calls on a mobile phone and they were customers of hers travelers who had bookings for later in the year and they were canceling those bookings, and some of the bookings were for months and months away. So even when she manages to repair the damage, even when she cleans up the mess, the likelihood is that a lot of people who would usually stay in Tare and maybe they're headed towards other parts of the northern New South Wales coast, they've canceled their bookings and her business takes a further hit. The ses says they've now conducted eleven four hundred damage assessments. They've completed those and at this point there are more than a thousand properties that have been deemed uninhabitable. The damage assessment process is continuing. The ADF has been on the ground over the last couple of days, the Prime Minister has been in the region and the Premier has been in the region. But what I fear is that once the focus moves on to other dramas that we are facing, that people in Sydney and critically the people who actually run the show in government may well forget the people of mid North Coast. Now we spoke with May May is the owner of a lovely arcade in Tari in central Tari, and some of the shops in that arcade have been damaged, and I wanted to talk to May again today.
Speaker 14: Hello May, Hi Clinton, How are you look?
Speaker 2: I'm okay, but how are you?
Speaker 14: Ah look? I honestly can't tell you how I feel because adrenaline, I think, was keeping me upbeat to begin with, because I thought, I'm okay, we can do this. But honestly, the magnitude of everything around us and within the arcade has really hit us hard. We went through a big battle getting the arcade up and running after twenty twenty one. We were battered and bruised, financially broken, but we were determined to get it back and rebuilt and try and attract our tenants back in. That's a plus. We were going through COVID at the time, which caused significant delays in us getting supplies to replace Wolves do flooring. You know, everything was considerably slow and it took us eight months. Now a lot of those businesses couldn't wait that length of time. We did not get some of the businesses back.
Speaker 3: Now we've.
Speaker 14: Really our hearts are broken by the fact that now a lot of the tenets that did come back can't. I don't think they can come and face this happening to them again. I mean, we're devastated, they're devastated, and it's really a government and counsel are listening. We need their support to do something in the town to assure the business community that they can have confidence in investing in a business and restarting because at the moment, everyone is feeling defeated, and I know that there's a lot of people who have lost businesses and their homes and that just breaks my heart.
Speaker 2: The Prime Minister, May and the Premiere and I personally, the Premier takes this issue very seriously. He was on my program on Monday.
Speaker 14: We came and saw us at the Ark and we spoke to him and he was genuinely, you know, feeling for us. But as we as you pointed out, let's not let this be forgotten. You know, right now the focus for the last week has been on Tari, but when the next news item breaks, then Tari might get forgotten and we can't afford to let that happen.
Speaker 2: Absolutely that they've announced, they've announced their various disaster recovery payments and for individual it's one hundred and eighty dollars, which isn't going to do much now. There are other payments that are available for businesses. If somebody has lost their income, there's thirteen weeks of income support, and then there's one off payments as well. But what concerns me, mate is what happens in the long term. And I'm sure that victims would appreciate the immediate help, but particularly with costs in the long term, with insurance policies that have become unaffordable.
Speaker 14: Oh well, insurance was impossible. We fought our insurer for three years after twenty twenty one, and that's another thing we could not take out as flood insurance. It was impossible if we and for small businesses, they were asked to pay twenty five to thirty hoursand for flood insurance. No small business has that sort of money to throw in insurance that's on top of their stock and fittings, et cetera. For us, as a property owner, it could have been anywhere in the hundred thousand type of figure. It was completely one.
Speaker 2: Hundred thousand dollars for.
Speaker 14: Oh goodness of flood insurance.
Speaker 13: Because the.
Speaker 14: Town has not got a flood levee. We have not had our counsel willing to. They did a feasibility study back in after twenty twenty one. The report came back and said something of the type of thing to say that it was a non viable expense for the small amount of people that it would benefit.
Speaker 2: And what so, you don't matter, look like a.
Speaker 3: Slap in the faith.
Speaker 14: Okay, This flood has probably increased the number of businesses first of all, increased the number of homes and farmers and areas around Tari Wingham Olbar, even Harrington and little towns that you probably don't know of. But the fact that there's been a significant increase this time because they're calling this a one in five hundred flood, I don't know whether this will shake up government and council to actually do something for our town. We can't let our town die, No, they can't.
Speaker 2: And walking through your town, I was I've got to tell you, may I was alarmed, and I haven't been to Tari probably for about three years before that. I was alarmed by the number of shops that just won't open, the number of empty shops throughout the central business district. You're clearly doing it tough. We won't forget about you on this program, but will continue to pressure the government. They've appointed Dave Owen's very well regarded former senior police officers well to head up this and we will keep on it and we'll talk to you again in the future.
Speaker 14: Thank you, May, Thank you, Thanks for the opportunity to have a little cry and a winge. But as I say, let's keep on it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Cinton, stay strong, May May and Bor who is the owner of a nice arcade in Tari. But she's doing it tough and we spoke to her at the start of the week and to be honest, she's sounded far more upbeat on Monday. It's probably now the reality of what she's facing has started to sink in.
Speaker 10: Until six.
Speaker 1: This is Sydney Now with Clinton Maynard on two GB You call now one three one ay seventy three.
Speaker 2: This is huge breaking news. There has been a resolution in the long running dispute between the New South Wales government and the Combined Rail Unions, the industrial dispute that has brought Sydney to its knees over the past at least twelve months. It would appear the industrial action is over. The dispute has been settled. I've just been handled some information that says an agreement has been reached between the state government and the combined rail unions in the Fair Work Commission. This brings the end of the industrial dispute that's caused so much disruption over the past twelve months. There is a proposed enterprise agreement. It has been facilitated by the Fair Work Commission, and it will provide rail workers with a twelve percent increase over three years plus back pay. And I should point out that's much much lower than what the railway workers were after. This will deliver apparently a number of technology based solutions to improve recovery times when there are incidents on the tracks to bring the system to a halt. For example, train crews will support the introduction of a new digital disruption management system. There will end the current practice that relies on a manual system of phone calls and paper based instructions during the recovery from incident. So as well as the pay, they're basically the unions have agreed that they will move into the twenty first century and actually use new technology to help resolve to problems on the rail network when the aging infrastructure fails. Well, that's a good thing. So there had been a ban on industrial action up until it was the end of June, so time was running out. Given dunes on Sunday, jim begins on Sunday, so this is a massive breakthrough. Finally it would appear there's an end to the dispute. The Minister for Transport, John Graham says the agreement will bring relief to the disruption from industrial action that around a million people a day have been forced to endure. The process has been strained, the patience of trained commuters is we're thinking the much needed reset allows us to implement improvements from passengers with the full support of the rail workforce and unions. The Treasure of Daniel Mookie says this is a positive result for rail workers and for commuters. Rail workers will be better off with a fair wage increase, commuters will have greater certainty, the city will be better off. So just repeating the long running dispute between the combined rail unions headed up by the RTBU and the state government is over. There will be a twelve percent pay rise over three years and there'll be no more strikes. So just repeating the long running train dispuit between the new South Wales government. The combined Rail unions has now been settled. They have agreed to a twelve percent pay rise over three years with back pay as well, I should add, so it means there will be no more industrial action for now. I mentioned that Amelia had been in contact with me. She'd just been on a bus at Central Station. She saw six ambulances and police in the area. We've just confirmed somebody that's had a medical episode in Belmore Park. So Bellmore Park is the park often protests there just in front of Central Station, so the emergency services were there for that reason. Twenty five past five this weekend, a much love TV show is back on your screens. It is Lego Masters, Lego Masters Australia and this is an addition of Lego Masters with a twist, the Grand Masters of the Galaxy. Fun fact for you. A single brick, a single Lego brick can support the weight of three hundred and seventy five thousand other bricks before it breaks. My goodness, there's an estimated one hundred and two Lego bricks for every single person in the world. The Brickman, Ryan McNaught is the star of the show. You'll see him on Sunday night, he joins us.
Speaker 19: Hello, Brickman, I don't know if I've counted all of those personally. I'm sorry. I'll have to take your word for that number.
Speaker 2: One hundred and two times the number of people in the world.
Speaker 19: It's a lot of Lego, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know you've told your story before, Ryan, but yeah, were you a kid when you discovered Lego?
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 19: My grandmother, Hazel Smith, God bless her, bought me my first Lego set when I was three, and you're ready first, it cost twenty nine cents.
Speaker 2: At cold Can you remember what the set was there?
Speaker 19: It was a little blue boat actually, and I bought it a few years ago. I managed to find one and I had a custom over fifty bucks, so inflation got me there.
Speaker 2: You know what I love about Lego? I mean, I'm in my late forties now, and so I had Lego as a kid, obviously, but I actually love the fact that adults are now buying Lego and there's specific plenty of specific adult kids.
Speaker 19: Yeah, definitely. It's funny. How I don't know whether it was the whole lockdown thing that really kind of resonated with people that it's fun to play, you know, to be creative and have and play and so basically Lego we're really smart and they came up with all these Lego sets which kind.
Speaker 9: Of I'm not going to say they're.
Speaker 19: Too difficult to kids. They are hard to kids, but they're more aimed at adults. And it's really hit a home run.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm actually in the middle of building. Look, i must admit I've been taking my time, but I've got the the at and Cinna McLaren Formula One car from late I think nineteen eighty eight, nineteen eighty nine was when he was winning in this car, and it's it's a brilliant kit. A money sort of through two of the bags. It will probably take me another six months to build it.
Speaker 19: Well, unfortunately for you, they've got the matching Williams of Nigel mantles or races against.
Speaker 9: So you're going to have to buy those.
Speaker 2: I saw I've got the little McLaren for Osco Pyastree and so I'm going to collect the little ones, but I'll have to ask my wife to buy me the big one for my birthday. So tell me about the show on Sunday night. It's called Grand Masters of the Galaxy.
Speaker 19: Yeah, it's much like the Misty Universe competition in that it doesn't have people from other planets performing funnily enough, but we've basically got winners from every other Lego Masters around the world, So the United States, Canada, China up against the winners here from Australia.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I've been watching a few years and kids get addicted to it. But to have a twist light that I think would be fun.
Speaker 19: Yeah, and it's funny. Whilst Lego bricks are the same, you know, all around the world, a humble brick is a humble brick, but people are different, you know, creative processes and techniques. So it's very very interesting.
Speaker 2: So you know the big Lego shop that's in the city now in Sydney CB. You do, I know you're based in Melbourne. In the CB, you would have been there. I think there's a some of the Sydney landmarks inside bridge. When those are put together, you don't have instructions to follow, so do you have to design those sort of things from scratch?
Speaker 19: Yeah, So when we build those a couple of years back, they took the best part at about eight weeks for us to build that. And so we basically sit down with a real architect as opposed to a Lego architect and look at the layout of the store and the floor plan and that kind of stuff and do some drawings and get going from there. And now the big Sydney Harbor bridge that we've got in there, so the one that's had a construction, it weighs just on two tons, So there's a lot of real life engineering that has to go into it before we can actually start building Lego.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's not a matter you're just sitting down there with the blocks to start with and going one by one, you actually got a planet.
Speaker 19: Yeah, pretty much. And you know the sheer volume of bricks as an example, that's a shipping container full of Lego for those for those models in that store. So we're talking about Lego to the next degree.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to start watch you on Sunday night. Good on you Ryan. See is thank you Ryan the brickman rhyme ignored And that's actually a true story. I went out. I went to Target because this was late last year. It was the only shop I could find in Sydney that was selling this particular model and I'm not a Lego fanatic, Bundy means, but you know, I like my Formula one and I went there early on a Saturday morning and they had one kit left. You can buy it everywhere now, but I was desperate for it, so I had to buy it last year. But I've only made two bags of it so far. I've got to get back into it. You'll see Lego Masters Australia Sunday night on Channel nine. It's into its seventh season as well. This season is called Grand Masters of the Galaxy. Coming up in a moment, We're going to talk to the Transportist to John Graham following the resolution of the long running Sydney Trains dispute, and we've got the latest Josh Bryant.
Speaker 12: Good afternoon again, Clinton. A deal has been struck between the state government and rail unions to bring an end to the long running at pay fight, which has at times crippled Sydney's train network. Three people, including two police officers, have been taken to hospital in stable conditions after a crash involving a police car and another vehicle at Wentworthville. Challenges facing the Indo Pacific region have dominated a meeting between Australia and the US on the sidelines of a six security conference in Singapore. And the winner has been crowned in the famous Script's National Spelling Bee in the United States, a thirteen year old winning the title by correctly spelling iklesism. In sport, the West Tigers have confirmed their release Lockie Galvin from his contract, effective immediately. The playmaker spotted in a private training session with the Bulldogs earlier today. We'll have more news and sport at six.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Josh. Sixteen degrees in the cost fourteen degrees in Penrith at the moment where the breaking news of the past half hour has been confirmation. Finally a deal has been released by between the state government and the Rail, Tram and Bust union as well as the combined rail unions. This means the long running dispute is over. The Transit Minister as John Graham, thanks to your time, lad and the Friday Minister.
Speaker 17: Good afternoon Clinton.
Speaker 2: It's been a long time coming, well it.
Speaker 17: Really has been, and this is the news that commuters have been waiting for. The deal's been reached. This means an end to disruption and we're able to pay rail workers of fair wage that we're seeing that as an investment in reliability. This really gives us a chance to improve reliability on our roal network.
Speaker 2: You just said it an end to disruption, but that doesn't mean we won't have disruption caused by other issues on the round network.
Speaker 17: Well exactly, but we're investing. Of course, the thing that would make it easier is agreement with our workforce. Agreement with the unions that represent them will make it a lot easier to roll out those investments. There is big money going into repairing our rail system, but of course the disruption has made that harder. There's no getting around that. Well that ends now as we've reached an in principal agreement with the combined Rail unions. That's really welcome. There's some details to work through, but this is a big, big step forward. It means if you're trying to catch a train, you know that actually the workforce and the government are working together now to make sure that train's more reliable.
Speaker 2: So the increase is twelve percent over three years, so four percent a year. That's more than initially you're offering. Where does the money come from.
Speaker 17: Well, that's exactly right. The unions that asked for eight percent a year. We're paying four percent a year. And just to be clear, we've added that final percent on to get a deal here that unions had asked for. That's got us a deal. We see though. That's well worthwhile. If you're trying to catch a train, there's no question you want an end to this disruption.
Speaker 2: Worthwhile. But they've had a gun to all of our heads for the last year.
Speaker 17: Well, there's real improvements in reliability here. We're rolling out train technology that will really mean a smoother ride for customers. It will improve reliability on the network. There's no question we need that. That's why the government has recommended this deal.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's a three year deal. Is this a guarantee that there won't be industrial action over those three years?
Speaker 17: Yeah, we've the fact we've reached an agreement will mean that the industrial action that protected industrial action that was taking place will now no longer be required. That's the nature of this agreement. We're keen to go to a vote. Obviously, it's up to union members with accept this. This is a good deal, it'll be recommended to them.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 17: The majority of those unions are saying, look on board.
Speaker 4: We're good to go.
Speaker 2: But if I go back to the previous government when they had the issues with the union over the NIFT into SISI fleet, they triggered in dust reaction that affected the Sydney network because they were having that dispute over the NIFT. Is there the prospect in this three years that they can still call indust reaction over issues beyond this pay dispute.
Speaker 17: Well, obviously if there's safety issues that unions have concerns about, they'll be raising those strongly. So they've got the normal rights they had. But this is a big step forward. It resolves are the wage dispute that brought Sydney to a hold. It supports the introduction of the new Regional rail fleet very explicitly, so on that a sort of issue that you're raising. No, this is a big step forward. This will make a big difference to commuters. This is great news if you're trying to catch a trim hahm, which.
Speaker 2: I'll be doing in about half an hour. Thank you, minister, very good, Thank you the Transmitister John Graham. So the dispute is settled, so they won't be taking strikes over pay. But just bear in mind it doesn't mean they can't take in dust relection over other issues.
Speaker 1: Well on Sydney, Nowlie Brown for Harvey Norman half yearly clearance up to twenty percent off mobile phones and up to thirty percent off Windows eleven computers. Go Harvey Norman first prices guarantees.
Speaker 2: Now, how about this, so do it yourself program for Apple iPads. How's this going to work? From what information? Charlie Brown, of course, host of Life and Tech Today. Charlie hallqen, how's this going to work? You can fix your an eyeprag when it goes bum?
Speaker 20: Well, they I has this program for iPhone in thirty three different countries around the world. They haven't launched it in Australia yet, but they've added as of announced this week iPad to that program for selected models, albeit the most recent ones that they put out. And the reason they do that is because if you've got a modern iPhone or modern iPad and you try and self repair it and you're not using genuine Apple parts, the device will recognize that those parts aren't genuine and it will start flagging issues in the operation of the device to you as the user.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 20: And so what Apple did was they said Okay, we're going to have this. We're gonna do one or two things. We're going to give these parts, will give access to these parts to repair centers that are going to register with us. They've already done that and you can do that in Australia now, so repair centers are already.
Speaker 10: Part of that.
Speaker 20: But secondly to that, we're also going to allow those people who are confident, all of these believers as they are, they will be able to order these parts online. And they've done that in thirty three countries. Apple have said that they will do this in Australia. They're just not doing it yet. So if you know how to repair your own iPad or your own iPhone, this will come to Australia soon.
Speaker 2: We'll hear all about it on Life and Technology tomorrow morning. Thanks Charlie, Thanks Plean.
Speaker 20: Having a great weekend.
Speaker 2: Charlie Brown hosting Life in Tech from eight o'clock tomorrow morning on Sydney.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 1: A weather update will be here to help in unexpected weather in our remain Insurance a help company.
Speaker 2: It should remain dry this evening. Sixteen degrees in the coast at the moment, fourteen degrees in the western suburbs. Tomorrow mostly sunny day, so good because all the sport was washed out for the kids last weekend, so you should be able to take your kids along the Saturday morning sport mostly sunny day, a little bit of cloud around twenty degrees the top on Sunday mostly sunny and twenty Monday partly cloudy and nineteen degrees.
Speaker 1: If it's happening in Sydney, you'll hear it on Sydney Now with Clinton May on.
Speaker 2: To GB Well, it will will be happening after seven o'clock with a continuous call team Mark Guy are featuring tonight on the coverage. Hello MG, Hello Clinton, Happy Friday, my friend. How are you're happy back in Sydney after Origin one?
Speaker 21: Yes, i am. It's been a big week, been a big week. We had the great Walk at the start of the week and then Origin Wednesday night.
Speaker 2: Because you've walked in here right now. Yes, I like to set standards for the program, and dress standards are critical. You often see that I'm here in a suit and tie. You are You've turned up in thongs. Yes, I can't put shoes on at the moment. What's going on?
Speaker 10: I will?
Speaker 21: You know I've got a in Penrith.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 21: I worked out this morning in sliders with socks were they pulled up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, having my tracks effe because of all the blisters from your walk.
Speaker 21: Oh yes, it's just on that just quickly. The Great Walk Foundation ends today with a big welcome home at the Lapston Hotel.
Speaker 2: Tonight.
Speaker 21: Over one hundred thousand dollars was raised this raised this week going to the boys from the Bush and Mentor mentorship program, west Care and brain cancer research for one of our walkers, Davy Crossman, passed away last this December from brain cancer.
Speaker 2: So you had a website that people can donate to.
Speaker 21: Great Great Walk Foundation dot com dot you good, thank you mate.
Speaker 2: The Women's state of origin last night, so this is what I've done. We scored under the posts yep out of dummy half and I was really tired last night so I went to bed.
Speaker 21: Oh yeah, well Queensland one, they come back. They won eighteen fourteen and guess what, there's twenty two thousand in Newcastle last night for inverted Comma is dead Rubber. So the girls game is going through the roof. But yet New South Wales couldn't get the out of three newk cleaning. Sweet Queensland came back and to one. They won in the end.
Speaker 2: And Newcastle is a great place to stage red football because they just love the game up there. The West Tigers today have put out an official statement that they've released Luckie Galvin. I'm really glad they've done that. Wow, really because he's been seating the Canterbury shirt.
Speaker 21: Oh my lanter, look at this this saga. Yeah, apparently he was pictured today. It's gone across social media. He's in his bulldog's jersey. You're not allowed to be yet because there was an incident earlier in the year or last year when the young boy called Volkman did the same type of thing in the NRL said give us a please, explained you've got to throw You're gonna go through the right protocol. At the moment, I don't give a damn about it. I just want this thing to, the whole thing to be over, I really do. It's a pain in the.
Speaker 2: Butt, you know what. I No, I don't feel for him because he's a growing up. He brought on himself. But there's a lot of pressure on him now, like of course there is. I know he's going to be on less money than he could have been on the Tigers. But if he doesn't perform, I won't say poor kid, because this is his business. He can make a lot of money. But if he's not quite the next absolute, you know, Brad Fiddler, people are going to be gone blowing up.
Speaker 21: Well, you've got guys who have been doing the job there like Sexton and especially young Tracy at fullback. Cord of Tracy. These guys aren't, you know, surplus the needs because they've been going, they're winning the competition. Then all of a sudden, you throw a kid in who's known Andy's of age, coming from a club that's coming second last, to make your team better. It doesn't make sense they like.
Speaker 2: To play them off the bench or something, won't they.
Speaker 21: I think maybe someone like maybe Matt Burton might at a lock forward or center to accommodate him for this year.
Speaker 2: So you put Matt Burton the center, What do you say, Stephen Krichton, Bronson Cherry.
Speaker 21: Yeah no, so that's the thing, that's that's the pickle.
Speaker 2: So we could do with some outside back to the moment. Maybe Bronson Cherry go to the Sharkys go home. I don't think that's going to be happening.
Speaker 21: No, I don't think so either.
Speaker 2: Tonight you'll be calling the match between the Dragons and the Knights at Conra.
Speaker 21: Yeah, a good game. Dragons have won there only one one of their fast pop last sorry, only won one of their last four at Cogra. Knights have won four of their past six games against the Dragons and Valentine Holmes and Calen Pine will be backing up from.
Speaker 2: State of Origin. Well, let's run through your tips. You're on forty six points in the two GB tipping comp. Matt Thompson is fifty four. You're on forty six. I'm on forty one. Last.
Speaker 21: Well, you're kind of I'm calling you the penrith of the tipping comp. You're you're coming last, but you're not that far out of the eight that you you might make a lot. You could make a late charge.
Speaker 2: There's one difference. I didn't win the last four premiership. So you're tipping the Dragons tonight, I'm tipping the Dragons to Okay, I'll back the Dragons as well. Yeah, because I'm just going to copy you from now on. Okay, what the games tomorrow?
Speaker 21: Harry Grant is out Xavier coachs is out for this.
Speaker 2: Game against So this is the Storm.
Speaker 21: Yep, Storm, who's Storm playing?
Speaker 2: The Storm are playing? The Titans can't beat time with a stick. They're hopeless.
Speaker 21: Yeah, Storm, Although the Big Man has gone Knights and Titans and he's coming second.
Speaker 2: You know Big Nan doesn't know what he's talking about. Okay, You've then got the Cowboys and the Tigers. You'll hear this. One of the continue has called him at five thirty are Cowboys? Yep, I'm going the Cowboys seven thirty five. You'll hear this one with us as well. Manly up against the Broncos, isn't.
Speaker 21: It look I know in the two GB tips I've taken mainly but without the Turbo boys in Tuckyahau, I think the I think the Broncos will win. I can't change my tip now, but if I could, I would.
Speaker 2: Okay, Sunday South up against New Zealand.
Speaker 21: Latrell again, I've picked the rabbit As here on the back of the trail. But if Latrell's out, you've got to say the Warriors.
Speaker 2: I'll go rabbit As as well. Four oh five. You'll hear this in the continuous call team the Panthers up against the Yels.
Speaker 21: Yeah, Battle of the West Penrith home game at Combat Stadium, game figure figure Panthers.
Speaker 2: That's part of all this is. Of course it is, it is, of course it is.
Speaker 21: They're traveling Wolbury's.
Speaker 2: I'm going Panthers as well. And the final game of the round is the Roosters up against the Raiders on Sunday.
Speaker 21: I like what I'm seeing from this Rooster's outfit. They are just tenacious, they're dogged and they're enterprising.
Speaker 2: Yep, and Cronulla takes on the by let's go.
Speaker 21: Are you sure you're not backing the bye?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I made the mistake of tipping Kronella last weekend. Look what happened?
Speaker 21: My daughter's listening shirts. Eh birthday tomorrow. We're having a party at my gym tomorrow night.
Speaker 2: Oh fantastic. I'm just chin ups and everything. No, that's a.
Speaker 21: Prey a s P I re s it was it.
Speaker 2: That's pro a pray pray pray. What's a pro ski party? What's the prey?
Speaker 21: I don't know before like that's what might.
Speaker 2: Producer call me a boom And I'm not actually a baby boomer. The same boomer boomer. But you don't know this stuff.
Speaker 21: Raffity have fun doing.
Speaker 2: I'll be security and it's Patty who's working on the show. He's twenty one this week, so he was yesterday, same he does.
Speaker 21: Yeah, birthdays everywhere, mate, he's got his.
Speaker 2: He's got a birthday this weekend. He was at a pub last night and you know you like the thongs. Yes, there were people dressed up in well I don't think they had any feet. They didn't have any shoes on any feet, feet less bright that's Friday. I don't like that beer foot of the pub.
Speaker 21: I don't mind if you're on the beach.
Speaker 2: Okay. When we were going out in those days, I had to wear a cold shirt. Yeah, you always had to have a cold shirt. And you'll get Blake's walking around singlets. These days you.
Speaker 21: Wouldn't get a night club without a cold shirt.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 21: And if you're on a beach side suburb, I don't mind. You were in beach, no shoes to the the shop and stuff.
Speaker 2: But MG, will you have a great weeknd Clinton continuous call to him coming up at seven.
Speaker 14: Time to expand your minds?
Speaker 11: Do you maybe agin your questioning on Sydney.
Speaker 14: Now questions, questions, Lincoln's questions important?
Speaker 7: I know you are answer a question right?
Speaker 2: Clinton's quick quiz Okay, quiz time. We've got to double pass to give away to the lover and the dumb waiter at the ensemble theater ensemble dot com dot are you? Our first contestant is Mills? Hello, Mills. Your thirty second starts now? Does win to start tomorrow or Sunday.
Speaker 11: Day?
Speaker 2: Correct? Who played Maverick in Top Gun? Correct? Who was the first president of the United States? Do you George Washington? Port Adelaide's associated with what sport.
Speaker 4: AFL?
Speaker 2: Correct? What Asian country invented t.
Speaker 9: China?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 11: You're on four?
Speaker 2: Well done. Let's try Mike. Mike, your thirty second starts now. How many balls on the table in the standard pool game? I like fifteen sixteen? Fifteen sixteen? Which billionaire left Donald Trump's administration this week? Us evil musk. What town is closest to the CBD of Sydney Goldyn or Dubbo gold Correct? Who won the women's State of Origin series.
Speaker 10: New South Wales?
Speaker 2: It was New South Wales. Correct, But you're the loser today, unfortunately meals congratulations. We're going to send you to Lover and the Dumb Waiter at the Ensemble Theater, Ensemble dot com dot.
Speaker 1: Au and now a preview of what's coming up on Wide World of Sports for the Serrato successor, the turbo charged Kia K four. Kia's all new small sedan GT Line veryant available now find out more about Kia's latest small car.
Speaker 2: Pusey hosting Wildwater Sports after six o'clock, Big Show Massive.
Speaker 22: We've got Joey Johns to preview the Nights Dragons, Dan mckeller from the tars Mark Bosnich to preview the UFA Champions League, plus the Matilda's and Willie me Sieux will wrap up the French Open. We also have four tickets to give away to the Eels Panthers Blockbuster on Sundays.
Speaker 2: Michael Darby at the Yells Home Ground. Bits of Panda zung Ger. Indeed is that work? Hey? Thanks? Hauy will be listening after six o'clock. Thank you to Emily and Patty, Ben and Liam and Hannah as well for their work this week. Thank you for listening to the show throughout the last couple of days. We've had a big one. Enjoy the weekend. That's Sydney now.