Speaker 1: Nine podcasts.
Speaker 2: Try Try, Try.
Speaker 1: Do you like that that I've added?
Speaker 3: Dicky Dicky Die, we ad that Enrich. You're in a weird mood today. I don't feel quite I feel I had a really good sleep last night, which is rare for me, and so I feel quiet. And I just did have a coffee and I don't usually have a coffee after midday. It's so strange to see you so positive, because I'm not gonna lie. You have been a Debbie mcdowney. You know you've been a Debbie mcdown.
Speaker 1: I've been actually quite good the past couple of weeks. That's quite positive.
Speaker 3: No, you're always down on yourself, but I feel like I've been better in terms of other.
Speaker 1: I don't know anyway.
Speaker 3: No, you've got to understand that when you're down on yourself, it brings others down. So you're not not as much as you. I really am not as negative as Do.
Speaker 1: You notice that? Yeah, okay, I don't notice that. Okay, whatever.
Speaker 4: Anyway, speaking of negative things today, we want to discuss something that we have both been doing for a while now.
Speaker 3: We originally thought this was a bit of a non issue, a bit of a lighthearted situation, but as recently, we are now realizing it is quite a serious problem that.
Speaker 1: We both have, and that is binge shopping.
Speaker 3: So what we're trying to do this week is identify, work through, and ultimately curb our binge shopping spreeze, which is going to be a lot harder than we initially hoped for an anticipated Well, I genuinely feel like when people listen to this, they're probably gonna laugh a little bit and be like, oh, you just love our shopping spree.
Speaker 1: You know who doesn't.
Speaker 3: But when we have done some research on this, because I recently had quite a significant episode of this episode and delved a bit further into my behaviors and then the feelings that resulted from it, it clicked for me that this is actually more than just a love of shopping, because I actually don't love shops neither.
Speaker 1: Do you know what?
Speaker 3: That's an Epiphan actually don't like shopping, especially when I feel really crap about my body.
Speaker 1: Same but yet the crapper I feel, the more I.
Speaker 3: Correct So it's a compulsive shopping disorder or shopping addiction, otherwise known as I don't know if I'm saying this correctly.
Speaker 1: One omnia Right now.
Speaker 3: Can I just also state before you give us proper definitions, no doubt you have seen them, sooked them, sort them. Ah, we were like this before the block. We've been like this for long. So it's not that we've come into a little bit of money and been like, well, make it rain. We've always made it rain, even when we haven't had anything to make it rain with.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh, and we just make it work.
Speaker 3: And this topic is extremely timely for us, especially because this morning three shoe boxes landed in our mail room. And that's because I purchased three pairs of ankle boots from the same store in a forty percent of sale. One pairs black, one is tan, and one is cream. So at least they're different colors. You know, I could have got the same color in different shapes.
Speaker 1: Do I have other boots? Yes? Do I have a lot of other boots? Yes, they're all Gooby. They're all Gooby Live tells me they're too Goooby. Did I need new ones?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: In my opinion, yes, Did I did I get them all anyway? Indeed I did. I did enable that as well.
Speaker 3: I did enable that because all the rest of yours are Slugooby and they're like, no word of the light, I reckon fifteen.
Speaker 1: I think you had when you're at school, to be honest with you.
Speaker 3: Well, so then why do I have a binge shopping addiction? If I have heaps of old pairs, you hoard, I hoarde, and I've been shop anyway. We can will get it. We will get into that. But also no one will be surprised.
Speaker 1: Then why we.
Speaker 3: Took thirteen suitcases to the block. It's all making sense adding up. Oh, there's so many things in this chat that are going to kind of bring two and two together for us.
Speaker 1: All right, So what's oniomania? Okay?
Speaker 5: So this is basically a behavior behavior rule that is a tough word health condition characterized by an uncontrollable urge to shop despite negative consequences.
Speaker 3: It is an unrestrained and often excessive indulgent characterized by symptoms such as excessive shopping behaviors and thoughts about shopping. Such thoughts and behaviors generate considerable distress and impairment, And it's the compulsive need to buy items, many of which are not necessary or needed. Oh my god, god, I truly tick every one of those mots. My sight says to me, do you need it or do you want it? And I never ever need it. I reckon ninety percent of the time that I shop, I do not need it because when you look at how we live and our lifestyle and what we have, we do not need anything.
Speaker 1: But do you know what I think?
Speaker 3: And this is another little epiphany I'm having as I seek here. We don't have other priorities, as in, we don't have children to raise, so the only need is our own selves and our own wants. And now my need is my want, and we don't have assets, we don't have mortgage. We essentially I'm not saving for anything. There's nothing that I necessarily want, like a new car or a house or anything like that.
Speaker 1: So for me, it's like that's what I spend my money on.
Speaker 3: We're not living for the future. And this is quite disturbing because our mum said to us the.
Speaker 1: Other day I shouldn't love.
Speaker 3: She's like, I need you to put together some sort of will in case anything happens to either of you. Now I was like, Mum, please tell me what I put in my will. Do you want my three new pairs of ankle boots, because that's all I've got to offer you most seriously, I mean, to be fair, the one thing investment that I made before the block, I saved up all my money and I got a car.
Speaker 1: But that's I mean, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Lucky to have a car, great, amazing, But like, we don't invest in anything, we don't try and save for anything, we don't own anything, and I think that's actually to our detriment, and that's fueling this spin shopping because we don't have mortgage repayments. If we did, we physically wouldn't be able to know you would actually hold yourself back. So I wanted to also just see when does it cross the line into compulsive shopping from sort of normal shopping habits. So there's certain things like yeah, buying things that are not needed, sometimes.
Speaker 1: In multiple.
Speaker 3: Spending more than a person can afford, hiding shopping, or the amount spent, losing control during shopping sprees. And also I find for me, it actually has nothing to do with how much money is spent. It's rather the extent of the preoccupation, level of personal distress and the development of adverse consequences and character ristics.
Speaker 1: Of the condition.
Speaker 3: So for me, that's like for me, that's what it is. I don't understand what you just said. Well, it's basically, it's not about the money being spent. It's the reactions that occur or the behaviors and the results that occur from the actual spending within yourself. Yes, okay, Can I just say a big one there for me is hiding. You hide stuff from me. I've hidden stuff from you, And I tell you what. Growing up, we've touched on this before. We had to hide so much from our dad because he grew up with no money and he's very He lives as if tomorrow he's going to lose everything really hard. And he also lives for us, live like he wants us to have the most amazing life, which is why he doesn't want to spend money on himself.
Speaker 1: Poor Dad and his calipers. But he married the wrong woman, I tell you that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think Mum's half the reason. I will say why we are like we are because she throws cautions caution to the wind a little bit. But what we would do is if we knew we'd bump into Dad when we got home from a shopping spree, we would carry around the red pen with us and we would get the tags and cross out the prices and put like ninety percent off.
Speaker 1: This wasn't two hundred dollars, it was you know.
Speaker 3: And he is and thank god Dad doesn't listen to our podcast, but he is so.
Speaker 1: Daft, and he would believe it would be like we've had.
Speaker 3: That jump over sixteen years, like mom still does. We'll say, is that you and Mom would be like, oh, don't be ridiculous, I've had it for years.
Speaker 1: He's like, Okay, I didn't. Really. Poor guy probably thinks he's going crazy. We're making it and then gas lights to.
Speaker 3: Be like, how dare you not remember that I had his top for sixteen years even though.
Speaker 1: I bought it today. Oh my god, that's awful. But I would totally do that as if I had a partner. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that was a bit cautious.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well but men. Sorry.
Speaker 3: As a whole, I'm generalizing that they don't really understand how much things cost.
Speaker 1: Or the amount of times that we make up how much this is costible.
Speaker 3: It's like so ridiculous, like to the point of if something costs five thousand dollars, we would say it's one hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 1: And he wouldn't know.
Speaker 3: So can I just also say that Dad's favorite store, just for context, here is Rivers going into liquidation. It's going into liquidation because they sell items for like fifty cents.
Speaker 1: It loves Rivers.
Speaker 3: It actually costs more than manufacturing than they sell it for. So true, But like I can't tell you. You take one look at this man and you're just like his head to Rivers. He loves a river's bargain and he actually he gets anxious when we buy him more expensive.
Speaker 1: Yes, he doesn't like, he doesn't love it.
Speaker 3: His sphinx to tightens and he's like, how like, I hope he didn't spend too much on this anyway?
Speaker 1: Like the hiding is it? The hiding is a really big isn't it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Well, do we even hide from each other? I know we do, And there's something nqi if we both have the same problem, but we both know because like truly and.
Speaker 1: Honestly, who gives a shit? We're like thirty forty year old woman.
Speaker 3: But can I say you make me feel bad about my shopping habits you?
Speaker 1: I do enable mindset.
Speaker 3: I think we need to meet someone in the middle to make me feel more guilty and I need to.
Speaker 1: Enable yours to make myself feel better.
Speaker 3: I do that, and I think you bring me down because it's tiny. It's like you're talking to yourself by yelling at me.
Speaker 1: Correct for Overspender, Correct, this is exactly right.
Speaker 3: So it's often linked to underlying mental health conditions like anxiety, depression, or though self esteem, or attempts to cope with stress.
Speaker 1: Tickety t did thea tickety bloody boom.
Speaker 3: But I just want to quickly touch on before we get into where we think we fall. There's another form of shopping, which is impulsive shopping.
Speaker 1: So I touched on the compulsive.
Speaker 3: This is the impulsive, so buying items you weren't planning to purchase. This happens to most people on occasion and can be harmless. There's feelings of instant gratification after unplanned purchases, inspired by a can't miss sale or suddenly coming across covetable items that are too tempting to pass up. Now some reasons people make impulsive or compulsive purchases.
Speaker 1: They feel the need to.
Speaker 3: Purchase items that are on sale and the deal is too good to pass up, and wawe, this is you in headlights. They may feel the need to have extra items on hand. For example, you can never have too much toilet paper. That was literally literally during the week. I literally did a post a little while ago saying that I see half price toilet paper and I have to buy it, so I have got I can't even fit the amount of toilet paper I have in my bathroom cupboards.
Speaker 1: It's just there's toilet paper bleeding out everywhere.
Speaker 3: So I will say, we have an ida that's literally in the bottom of our building that we could just jog down to within thirty seconds and buy some more urgently.
Speaker 1: Needed to know what live.
Speaker 3: I feel like the toilet paper was a relatable thing. A lot of people DMed us and said they're the same since COVID because there was a shortage and so you must simply buy. You must buy bye bye the toilet paper. Imagine if you're caught without something to wipe, you'r a nurse.
Speaker 1: But like jump in the shower. That's what I would always say.
Speaker 3: I found it weird during COVID when when that was the thing that people sort of bin shopped, because I'm like, everyone's just at home.
Speaker 1: If you really got stuck jump in the show and wipe the shill your asshole, or just use a.
Speaker 3: Sock and junk it in the wash, or just use your hand, like seriously, just do a clean break and then just do a little pat to check there's no.
Speaker 1: Dingleberries anyway, which category do you reckon? You fall into? Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 3: The compulsive shopping is described as involving a significant disruption to daily life, causing emotional and financial harm.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's me. I don't think i'm compulsive as you're impulsive.
Speaker 3: I think I'm impulsive, but I think I'm probably a really strong impulsive because I would never spend like we don't have credit cards. I want to say that God, so we don't spend beyond our means. And I think if I had a child to provide for, I wouldn't be taking away my child's money to buy things. It's just because I can that I do. And yes I should be saving it to put towards a house or whatever, but I just ain't. So I would like to think that if I needed to, I could pull back. And you're you're the short term gain, long term pain less.
Speaker 1: You're very short term minded.
Speaker 3: I'm very just need to do it now sort it feel good and worry about it later. But then when I get to the later, I also don't worry about it really, and so I think that's the problem. It's like with cleaning my room. It's like I'll get to it and I just never do. And it's like I wish I felt pain from that, but I don't.
Speaker 1: But so you've you've spoken to your psychologist about this, I have. Can I just say you do you reckon? Who's worse at this point?
Speaker 2: Me?
Speaker 1: You are worse as of recently, I think I am.
Speaker 3: I was worse than you, and now you're worse than me, which makes me actually feel extremely good about myself.
Speaker 1: Well done. What do you think you are?
Speaker 3: I'm compulsive for sure, but I want to delve it way deeper into mind. So I want you to touch on your the conversations that you've had with your SiGe.
Speaker 1: We'll see impulsive shopping here.
Speaker 3: It just says an occasional splurg But compulsive is reoccurring behavior with a significant impact on day light. Well, it is reoccurring in that it is a bit reoccurring. Probably have a bit of each, but I reckon, I'm.
Speaker 1: Somewhere in the middle.
Speaker 3: In the Yeah, so themes of shopping can sometimes appear in OCD. For someone with OCD, shopping can become less about enjoyment and more about an intense need for certainty or perfection. And this is how my psyche described it to me, because I've flagged it with her previously. An element of OCD is manifesting itself in the form of bing shopping. In me, it's about soothing this desire for control and perfection. For me, I feel really shit about my body on the daily, so knowing I have enough things that cover the right bits makes me feel more confident I'm controlling the things that are seemingly out of control.
Speaker 1: Really is that CHRUSCT makes total sense?
Speaker 3: And I'm the same with packing or you know, should I say overpacking?
Speaker 1: But I must have everything.
Speaker 3: Being caught unprepared is truly my worst nightmare.
Speaker 1: How do you feel when you do these shopping binges?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: I want to touch first on what my episode was recently and where I fall. Okay, so I definitely have elements of both the impulsive and compulsive, but my behavior is for way more in the compulsive category, which is actually quite scary, particularly because when we were writing our notes, you wrote, I think we're more impulsive. Compulsive is really hardcore. Yeah, it is hardcore. It's really hardcore from what I was reading. It's having a significant impact on daylight emotionally and financially during these episodes that I have.
Speaker 1: It does so for me everything is planned out.
Speaker 3: I raally just go into a store without knowing what I want to buy and just buy it. Here's how I know why I'm compulsive, because I do all of these things below. So it actually makes me feel quite sick and ashamed when I say this out loud. So there's four stages to compulsive buying. One anticipation, so becoming preoccupied with thoughts and urges towards buying something. To operation, starting to think about where they will purchase, what sources of finance they will use, and even what.
Speaker 1: They will wear to do the shop.
Speaker 3: Three shopping the actual experience of shopping, which can produce pleasure and excitement.
Speaker 1: And then for the spending.
Speaker 3: After the purchase is made and the money is spent, people often feel a sense of guilt, disappointment, or let down.
Speaker 1: So my most recent episode was probably the worst I have had.
Speaker 3: So when I'm on Instagram or TikTok or any social media platforms. I take screenshots of the things that I that I want than that I like, and I save them into a folder in my phone that's called things I Want.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, that's very cool. I've got things very in a shock to know one.
Speaker 3: I have lists, yes, and so I then search these on my phone and my computer browser and have countless tabs open with all the different items in there. I then have a notes tab that is dedicated to this on my phone that I have little those little thick circles that you can tick them off, you know how you can put the like dot points that you can tick off. I constantly browse to try and find the nicest, best, best value of that item. And I will continue doing this for days and days and days, and I go back to it and then I click out of it, and then I go back to it again, and it becomes all consuming, and I think about these items until they're purchased.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize it was that bad for you. It's so bad.
Speaker 3: I I'm also heavily influenced by things that I see online and influencers, So even though I know it's probably not going to look as good on.
Speaker 1: Me same, I have to have the latest trend of something. Just farlow booboos. That's the only thing I'm not.
Speaker 3: Buying into, even though these people probably get them as freebies or you know, heavily heavily discounted or as gifts.
Speaker 1: I just have to have them.
Speaker 3: Once I have my list of everything that I need to purchase and where I want to get it from, I.
Speaker 1: Then do this big spending binge.
Speaker 3: So I have to get it all over and done with in one go almost so it's I don't know, less time to think about it, or it's gonna lessen the side effects that I'm going to experience from not only experiencing the regret and mighty once yes, yeah, but heavily Oh my god. Then once I have the binge episode, I will literally not buy anything for like months on end. So that's why it definitely is a binge and this compulsive thing for me, because I do it in a huge burst and then I won't do it again for months. So for example, I had my binge episode and then I went to Nike on the weekend with our little sister who had forty percent off through her work, and I didn't buy one because I wasn't in the binge. Yeah, I know, I feel I didn't feel panicked. But previously, if I was in the binge, I would have bought a thousand things there because I would have been like, I have to make the most of this. So it's just it's a real issue. When I lay it all out like this, it's concerning. So the Nike situation when you're like so proud of yourself and you're like, maybe I don't have a problem. That's how I get when I do these big surgeons and then I don't get stuff.
Speaker 1: I'm like, see, I'm fine, I'm good, no worries.
Speaker 3: I didn't think I didn't have a problem because I know the issue that I've just had for the past two months when I've had this binge. But also, don't reckon If you'd bought one jumper at Nike, don't reckon you, then I don't know about you.
Speaker 1: It would have opened. Probably would have liked again.
Speaker 3: Yes, so it's like it's all or nothing, which is what I realized I am as a person. Is it better to do as a binge or is it I don't think it's necessarily better to just buy two things every few weeks. Why not just do it as an orange because it's extreme, And I'll tell you why, because this is how I feel after a binge. Yeah, I feel panicked and uneasy until I do it. Yeah, once the spend is done, I feel relief for maybe a second, and then I feel horrendous shame, horrendous guilty, and so disappointed in myself that I haven't been able to not do it. The guilt and shame for me are very overwhelming and make me question my self control and my financial responsibility because I'm like, if I can't, if I'm just happily willing to spend all this money on something that actually doesn't make.
Speaker 1: Me feel good, Like, that's quite concerning.
Speaker 3: And I noticed it in your mood, like the latter day when you went to Henny and you just went absolutely nuts.
Speaker 1: I'm angry at myself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Henny's a big trigger for you. You have to have one of everything that they do. And we don't have enough room in our apartment, by the way, so that's actually another huge problem.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you then just get you actually gets physically angry.
Speaker 3: I know I do, but it doesn't stop me. Bizarrely, from doing it. And then if I order something online and it arrives once again, it's fun and exciting while I'm trying it on for about three seconds, and then the negative emotions start all over again when I go to my cupboard and I can't even separate the clothes to fit the new thing in, so the new clothes that end up just sitting on the floor in a bag, And so every time I enter my room it is a harsh reminder of the damage I have done. Sometimes I literally feel like I just want to burn it all. I'm like, burn it, get it out of my sight, get rid of it. But for me, it's all consuming, and the anxiety with it is, Yeah, a lot of the stuff I don't even get round to using or wearing, and then it will get to the next season and I was like, oh, this is gooby now, and I will still have a tag on. When we did that racket club sale and we sold a lot of our clothes for context, racket club is where you take clothes that are from your wardrobe that is still good enough to sell, that are probably too good to donate, maybe because they've got tags or their super designer.
Speaker 1: Much of our gear had tags on it so much. Yeah, it was bad. It was really bad.
Speaker 3: When I'm sorted and organized, so after I do a big binge shop, I feel a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
Speaker 1: So you don't have any feelings of guilt or shame.
Speaker 3: I do get a bit of a tight chest, and I do feel a bit in bad, especially when a hundred boxers then rock up in our mail room and we get an email every time there's something for us in our mail room, so it will literally just be like ten emails a day, and there is a bit of a calm down. But I kind of figure it's my money. I'm not foregoing something else because of it. Yes, I'm burning through it quite rapidly, but I don't really want to buy a house or anything. So it's funny because when I think about the reason why I do it, some of the reasons out there online are people do it to improve their mood, their self image, their social approval and stress levels.
Speaker 1: I don't do it for that.
Speaker 3: I like, why do you do it? You do it because you feel shit about your body and you want to what it's kind of I don't even think it's about that. I I feel like I just want it. I need to be able to tick it off my list and get it out of my head. That I when I want something, I just have to get it off my sort of chest and tick it off.
Speaker 1: That to douly.
Speaker 3: But I also have realized I'm like this when it comes to exercise routine ticking things like shopping off a list. You know, on a Sunday, I have to do all of my washing, and I have to do it all in one go. I can't just do it in stages. Everything for me, I have to do all in one go. I do it with groceries on a Saturday. I plan my meals ahead, I have lists, and then I go to the markets first.
Speaker 1: I then go to Woolli's.
Speaker 3: I have to ensure that I do everything in that one shop, and if I can't find something, I have to go to a million different supermarkets. So I'm ticking all off my lists because if I have something not ticked, I don't feel relief until that stuff very OCD, isn't it very? But they also do say online when I did my research that people that do this are more likely to fall into a pattern of addictive behavior. And I am like that I have an addictive personality. It shines through in so many ways, and this is just one of them. Can you give us some eggs armfuls of things that you've been shocked. Well, I'll start off. We're at Chatta and shoppings any the other day, live no word of a lie. I bought six brown coats, and granted, you want to take them home and see what worked and whatever, and then return some of them. But some of them you couldn't return. You didn't realize when you've got a credit home, and then you were like, oh, I realized this. I really like, this is a bit different. This is more like a blazer, and you really tried to sort of keep.
Speaker 1: The fire, just just fire. In the end we were able to sift through that, but that was a lot. I also did this with Boots.
Speaker 3: I literally bought six different pairs of Boots hi knee ones, flat ones, or majority in the same color, and I ended up sending three back, but I kept three. I bought three cheap bags, as you did, exactly the same bag. We bought exactly the same bags in different shades.
Speaker 1: That's what I do.
Speaker 3: My worst one was and I reckon this has been happening for years because I did this in Union. I went to cookwrite and bought these single at the top in six colors, and they weren't cheap singlet tops. They were like one hundred and forty dollars each or something ridiculous.
Speaker 1: I know, it's insane. I even do dumb shit. This is where it's a bit impulsive. Dumb shit. Like I've bought a water filter.
Speaker 3: For my shower head, and I reckon, I bought that a year ago and I have not put it on my shower and it just sits there. Or you know, we've bought sticky little things to hang up artwork and we just don't stick it up, and so it just sits there.
Speaker 1: You can't count that, I reckon. I know, what of a lie? I reckon. I have twenty two containers.
Speaker 3: Of my protein powder, Yeah, filling up our cupboards. Yeah, because like you, when I see it on sale, I'm like, I have to buy it, and I, you know, just in case there's a natural disaster and I can't escape our apartment building, I need to have, you know, my protein powder.
Speaker 1: You know, I won't worry.
Speaker 3: About toilet paper like you to at least I might have protein powdered, but you got me through your toilet paper is the protein powder. You need to wind back that protein powder because it has taken up our entire kitchen and you can't possibly work through that much.
Speaker 1: It goes off angel and again I can just go and buy it, like, I don't know why I do this.
Speaker 3: And I have four denim jackets in my cupboard that are the same shade, the same shape, the same size, the same color. And you also say to me, we can't have the same items. And when you buy everything, what am I supposed to do? There's nothing for me to buy? Seriously, though, you're like, you can't buy the same as me because we go everywhere and do everything together.
Speaker 1: But but yeah, but also there's nothing left for me to buy. I'm so sorry. We need to share some things, you know, you buy googy things. Can I now talk about the link to hoarding?
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh, so there's links to hoarding, which I don't find hard to believe actually now that I've you know, worked through it. Research indicates a strong correlation between hoarding and compulsive buying, with studies showing that a significant portion of hoarders also exhibit compulsive buying behaviors and vice versa. Both hoarding and compulsive buying are linked to obsessive compulsive disorder traits. Some individuals may engage in hoarding or compulsive buying as a way to cope with feelings of low self esteem or I need to define their identity through material possessions.
Speaker 1: Do you reckon? That's where like you, that's where you kind of fall.
Speaker 3: Why don't I don't really identify myself through these possessions. I feel like I've got quite a strong personality that stands a lot.
Speaker 1: Oh but it's.
Speaker 3: Just having things. I need to have everything and be prepared. I find this funny because I can't really understand as all the evidence points to the fact that I should be a horder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm actually quite the opposite in that respect. I mean, I'm a bit of a clothes hoarder, but I hate clutter. I hate mess.
Speaker 3: I feel like my brain's not clear and I can't concentrate unless my space is. It gives me anxiety when things around me are like organized. And I can also quite easily cull clothes and things as well, Like don't you notice that I can actually cull stuff out of my wardrobe. That white ruth, because the link of hoarding and compulsive buying is the excessive acquisition of possessions and difficulty discarding them. But you find it quite easy to discard, yeah, because I just want to get rid of it and burn it. But where you are sort of linked to the hoarding, that's a link for me as well to my eating disorder, because when I was doing some research, it said that people that have this compulsive shopping disorder often have eating disorders as well. They also mentioned about the picking pick my name. They said that it's a common thing as well.
Speaker 1: That's bizarre.
Speaker 3: I think it's just someone who's predisposed to.
Speaker 1: Like O c D behavior.
Speaker 3: It's just lucky that we haven't del you know, like delved into other types of addiction.
Speaker 1: But it's probably in us. I don't want to. That's I weirdly.
Speaker 3: Awareness is key, though, Can I just say at least we're aware of it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: But it's also strange because even though it's so something that I have control over, the shopping, it sort of feels so out of control.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that makes sense. I don't know. But I also don't do it to seat validation. Do you think you do? Do you think you shop to seat.
Speaker 3: Validation from people? I don't mind's literally just I just want to I think it's got worse for us because we're attending things with superficial type people. Because imagine if we went to one of these events and would and I look to be fair, I have dressed. I'm not ashamed to buy a big W kmat of target either, but it would be judged if it was obvious that you were dressed, had to toe in something. Yeah, if you're goingto like a glamor on the grid and you're wearing a big W dress, I think you'd probably.
Speaker 2: Pressure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, and we're trying not to succumb to these pressures, but it's there is an added pressure, I think, and so we need to have we feel like to match those energies where you have to invest in a certain items.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 3: Add this to the list of issues mental health conditions that we've had, or that we currently have or that will likely have in the future.
Speaker 1: It's actually not funny.
Speaker 3: It's not funny, But I just feel like the more we talk about this stuff, the more we realize how many issues we have. But I think as well, it's like you sought one area and then it pops out in another area.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: I saw it through one thing and then it comes out in my anxiety comes out.
Speaker 1: In a warrior.
Speaker 3: Do can we just don't worry about I just think fixing one thing because then it won't manifest itself in another way. I think we just need to keep work. That's why we have to be consistent with our mental health. And we do both have regular psychologists appointments. I have not brought this up with my psychologist yet. You need to going to be the next appointment, but you always are like, oh God, there's never enough time. This is so at the bottom of your list of issues. Not a fan, but as I said, we're kind of lucky it's coming out in more health. This isn't healthy, but there could be way worse things. Sales are the devil, Oh God, rip me when there is a sale, and sales and promotions often create a sense of urgency and scarcity, including feelings of fomo, and increase the likelihood of impulsive purchases. According to a study in the Journal of Business Research, right now people are ef shopping.
Speaker 1: Do you know what that is? End of financial year? Good girl?
Speaker 3: Many retailers offer end of financial year sales to clear out stock and attract customers before the end of the financial year. There's also coincides with tax time, where people may be looking to purchase work related items to claim as deductions. In Australia, peak shopping times are across the weekend, which makes sense. Saturdays and Sundays contribute to forty percent of total weekly online sales and across the holiday season October to December, with November being the most critical month for sales.
Speaker 1: Is that when they do the Black Friday sale.
Speaker 3: November, driven by events like Black Friday and Cyber Monday, accounts for eighteen percent of the year's online shopping revenue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fun fact live. Do you know why it's called Black Friday? The origins of the term because everyone's going into the black with.
Speaker 3: It's something like that. The origins of the term are somewhat debated, but the most widely accepted theory is that it originated in Philadelphia. So police in Philadelphia complained about an influx of people coming to the city to shop the day after Thanksgiving, calling it a black Friday because they had to control crowds from there. The term was used to describe shopping on that day and gain momentum with each year passing. But it's also a day when retailer's accounts went from being in the red to in the black.
Speaker 1: There you go, I just said that the last one.
Speaker 3: In the fifties, managers reportedly used black Friday to describe the day many workers would call in sick after Thanksgiving, making a comparison with the bubonic plague. Oh fun fact, compact fun pack fun fact. Also, cyber Monday is called that because it's the Monday after Thanksgiving in the US, a time when many people return to work and take advantage of online sales with fast internet.
Speaker 1: Access at their workplaces.
Speaker 3: The term cyber refers to the fact that the dealers are primarily offered online.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, we're not going to run through every definition of all the days on bored Boxing Day.
Speaker 3: Boxing Day sales all because they're on Boxing Day, but they're dumb boxing Dave, because you've just bought all your Christmas presents, but.
Speaker 1: People buy them for the following year.
Speaker 3: You've just bought all your Christmas and then you see that exact item you bought for your mum for fifty percent off.
Speaker 1: So we should all just get presents for our families.
Speaker 3: It should be like, we'll celebrate Christmas on the twenty seventh when we can purchase all the discount of Boxing Days. And this is the evil thing with sales is you think you're saving money, but then you get sucked into all these extra items you're actually not.
Speaker 1: Now, why do we call.
Speaker 3: It Boxing Day Live because people box each other to try and get the items at the super at the shopping center. Explanations for the origin of the name are varied, with some believing that it's derived from the opening of arms boxes that had been placed in churches for the collection of donations to aid the poor. Others, however, have held that it come from the have held that it came from the boxes of gifts given to employees on the day after Christmas. I really had to stopped myself after that from googling more. My god, half that boring. Please edit that crap out, But as you know, I have to make sure I'm always getting the best deal. It's quite crazy, and there's actually science behind it. So apparently many conpulsive buyers experience a sense of euphoria and reward when they win by purchasing something at a discounted price, which can reinforce the addictive behavior. The temporary relief and sense of accomplishment from a sale purchase can reinforce the compulsion, making it more difficult to break the pattern. I reckon I would have a tendency to be addicted to gambling if I let myself.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I have a massively addictive personality, so I don't. I hate to think what I could get adictored to.
Speaker 3: That's why you just can't start anything, I know you, Just like when we've done that, dabbled in the pokies, I really have.
Speaker 1: To try and control that gear. Do you know what I've also started doing, which I hate you for. I've started doing the coupon code freaking. I'm telling you, a coupon code is gorgeous.
Speaker 3: You google coupon code for whatever brand you want to buy something from, and you can get tempacize life. I think in my most recent binge, I don't think I spent the full retail price.
Speaker 1: I don't need to tell you what else is good.
Speaker 3: When you subscribe to their net newsletter or something you also get a discount code and the amount of things when I'm online that I say, register my interests when they've sold out, and then I'll get those emails and oh my god, the bloody sales emails.
Speaker 1: I get sucked into all them. Is there anything else you want to say?
Speaker 3: Before I finish off with some strategies we can use to overcome this binging, because we must move forward and try and curb what's going on. So one, let's speak to our psychologist. Yes, that's a good place and stuff, but plan and budget is key. So create a budget. So this is what my psychologist told me to do. Put aside a specific amount of money in a specific bank account as a shopping shopping budget for the year, and only allow yourself to spend.
Speaker 1: That a month or whatever. Oh but that wouldn't work for me.
Speaker 3: I just keep making excuses and justify and add money.
Speaker 1: Don't you.
Speaker 3: Make a shopping list so you can focus of what you actually need.
Speaker 1: But I would just do a shopping list of my life. That's the thing.
Speaker 3: My mind would be six brown coats and six boots, Like my list is going to be everything that I want, So.
Speaker 1: That doesn't work.
Speaker 3: Use the waiter day rule, So just sit on something, think about it for a day, and then the next day circle back on it.
Speaker 1: But we do that all the time and still winge. But that's my probably biggest issue. It all consumes me for two months.
Speaker 3: Keep the tabs open and click out and click back in, and so you with the tabs, you always end up going back and buying.
Speaker 1: So manage emotional triggers.
Speaker 3: So identify your triggers and try and avoid them.
Speaker 1: Well you know, like say on that, yeah.
Speaker 3: And online, and you're just gonna have to turn every device and TV and everything off and close your eyes when you're walking the streets so you don't see it.
Speaker 1: Shop myself in my room and sleep for the rest of my life.
Speaker 3: Engage in alternative activities. So try and find a new hobby that's something you can do. Well, yes, I had that on my list, developed new hobbies, but all my hobbies require money spending because I want to buy a Nintendo switch and la boobers. Yeah, okay, practice mindfulness to try and sort of like meditate your way out of it. Limit exposure and change your environment. So limit social media and advertising, change your shopping habits.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you do it that I can subscribe unsubscribed for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can do that, yes, Like exposure is too too great? Pay with cash yes, so maybe take the stuff off your phone and don't go out with your credit card, take take Apple pay off, and then develop new habits and seek support. So practice delayed gratification, make a conscious effort to resist immediate gratification and wait before making a purchase that sounds too hard, Seek support, which we're obviously doing, and list a friend to help, like sorry, if I'm listen, you to help you just a name, No, I'm a bad person to be around. And build healthy coping mechanisms, so fine. Alternative ways to deal with stress, boredom, and negative emotions that might trigger impulse buying.
Speaker 1: Like what because I don't like to go out? Well, sorry, you're just gonna have to feel some discomfort. What about this one?
Speaker 3: Pause before a purchase, ask yourself do you really need this item?
Speaker 1: How will it add value to your life?
Speaker 3: But ah, that will not work for me because the answer will be yes, I really need this item, and yes it will add a great deal of value to my life. So developing new habits and seeking support is what I've been working on with my psychologist the most, particularly making a conscious effort to resist immediate gratification and wait before making a purchase. So when I feel the need to buy, I get this sort of surge of anxiety that is only eased by the purchasing. What I ultimately need to do to stop myself from these indefinitely is to learn to sit in that anxiety.
Speaker 1: And like to sit in my anxiety.
Speaker 3: And not ease the anxiety by buying. So don't buy the item I want. Sit in my anxiety, and it will dissipate. Normally, it won't dissipate as quickly as buying the item, because that's an immediate fix. But by consistently doing this, you'll find it easier and easier to stop yourself from shopping, because these huge anxiety build ups and releases will become less and less the more you practice sitting in that anxiety.
Speaker 1: It's easier said than done. Obviously, any of that's going to work for me.
Speaker 3: I think I'm just going to have compulsive shopping you just versus of my life, and I'm I'm screwed because I don't want to have kids, so I'm never going to have anyone to spend money on or anything else, and I'm always just going to spend this money on my sale. I'll probably find myself taking up smoking or something, vaping or something to try and overcome this.
Speaker 1: And you can't do that. You can't put a band aid over it. And what's good? Let out somewhere else to.
Speaker 3: Walk, drinking exist, drinks water, being friendly and kind and updep.
Speaker 1: Do you? So you don't think any of this will work you you struggle to see. Although I don't know. I think I just need to yet.
Speaker 3: I think I just need to pause when I want to buy something and actually think about it, because I do not think about it.
Speaker 1: For me, It's not even a thought process. I just do it, okay. And also you need to close the tabs speak to walk away.
Speaker 3: Just just have a limit on your accounts or maybe I can control your accounts.
Speaker 1: I think the only thing that will work for.
Speaker 3: Me is if I have other priorities like morgagury, payments, kids, etc.
Speaker 1: Because I will need to feed my.
Speaker 3: And also for me actually fitting into the clothes that are in my wardrobe, yes, rather than just buying new items, because that's why I buy a lot of new items because I've pukeed up a bit, so i don't fit into any of my clothes, but I'd like to be able to fit into the rest of my clothes anyway.
Speaker 1: That's it from me.
Speaker 3: What a joy, What a joy to have another addiction to add to the list and issu you we'll keep you updated on how the recovery is going. Can you DMUs if you have an example of a big shop you've done so we feel better about ourselves, feel better beat six cookie tops in the same color style colors. I actually feel ashamed. This episode just made me feel very, very very ashamed.
Speaker 1: Surely it's relatable. Tryhard, Hall of.
Speaker 3: Fame alright, I have quite the funny Hall of Fame this week. This is a bit of a connection to one previous episode that we did, and it is by a lovely lady that I'm not going to reveal her name, even though she was like, I don't care that much, but I'm just not going to embarrassing story.
Speaker 1: So I just met my now husband of twenty one years.
Speaker 3: We went to the Anzac Day celebrations, playing two up, met or his mates, etc. We were very intoxicated and since he lived near the pub, we were at we decided to stay at his place. I'm laying in his bed spinning around. I get up, run to the toilet and start chucking. Keep in mind, I'm not a quiet chucker, so I visage like yeah, whilst heaving, I get a tap on the shoulder and an older gentleman asking are you okay?
Speaker 1: Love.
Speaker 3: To my horror, my now father in law came to my rescue with a bottle of water and a panetole. Say, when I woke in the morning to absolute embarrassment is an understatement. That was the first time I'd ever met my partner's dad. We still laugh about it twenty one years on. Imagine that being the first time you meet your bloody.
Speaker 1: In there in great wedding story.
Speaker 3: But also what's nice is that the guy didn't run a mile, because that's what normally happens to me.
Speaker 1: I've told a story before where I chuned it.
Speaker 3: On a guy's floor and he literally kicked me to the curb rightly, So I will do this thing. So maybe I'll do it again and I'll get a husband out of it.
Speaker 1: Good luck. Yeah, Well that's it, really, isn't it. Leave me on Instagram? Send us your dms.
Speaker 3: Run us for a positive reviews on eye, Apple and Ice, Spotify and just you know, spend less guys. Yeah, and take care, have a wonderful time until we speak next Bye.
Speaker 2: Trying to pull you back