Speaker 1: Yes, good morning, thanks for listening in. I'm Simon Bayamont here until one o'clock today. Thank you to the Brecky Boys, to Milsey and Carl and they're a hard working team from the Brecky Show. We are here until one of their phone lines are open one double three eight eighty two if you'd like to give us a call today, or you can SEMSS zero for eighty seven trip or nine eight eighty two. I'll have a yes no question for you if you haven't heard the show before. We always kick off the show with a yes no question and keep our tally right through the right through the course of the show. So I'll get to that in just a moment. Of One of our listeners, Craig is just texted in to say that today is the twenty ninth anniversary of the SAS Blackhawk crashing Towns. Well, thank you, Craig. Craig's got a close family member that was involved and fortunately survived, so I think there were nine survivors, Craig from memory, wasn't there one death? Of course, very sad and a lot of a lot of the guys involved were based here at the regiment here in Swanborne. So very much a story that we remember from back in two thousand and six. Thank you, Craig. So that is the anniversary, the twenty ninth anniversary of the Blackhawk crash. Thanks for letting us know, Craig, Thanks for reminding us. Good on you mate, Thank you. Have a good day. A couple of things on the show today. The Transport Minister and the premiere have probably just finished a press conference now as we speak. They've been out at the Stevenson Avenue extension this morning. So you probably have seen the bridge over the Mitchell Freeway near the IKEA building and near the set the Cedric Street off ramp. So that's meant to be finished around about now, so we are waiting to hear what the announcement will be. It's supposed to be finished in mid twenty twenty five. A lot of changes to the hey you get on and off the freeway around Cedric Street, and all in the good name of reducing the congestion in the air, particularly on ellen Sterling Boulevard. So we have us to talk to Reta today as the treasurer. Poly salaries are in the news today, ol Bow salaries in the news today and utility costs are making headlines as well. Now we've started taking calls from our listeners already they've spotted that gas bills are linter, gas bills fixed costs are going up, and there's some speculation around that when the budget is handed down next week that some of the rebates or the credits on electricity bills are likely to dry up. Now we don't know this for sure, This is not definite until the state budget has been handed down, but our listeners have already spotted that a linter gas bills are going up, So we have asked to speak to read it today on about the Stevenson Avenue extension, but also will the rebates continue. So I had a pretty good forensic look at the rebates that are available to Western Australians through the government websites this morning. There are many, many, many rebates, but most of them are for Concession card holders. So we'll try and stay across that during the course of the day, especially given and this is all tied in especially given the as a new report from Bank West around that housing affordability is at an all time low and many many, many West Australians are really worried about whether I'll ever be able to afford a home or be able to even afford rent. So some of these issues about cost of living making headlines today. I'd love to hear from you. One double three A to eighty two is the phone number we have a yet actually some of the other things we have on the show. Thank you, Anna Sean. Public consultation begins today out of to the Burstwood proposed site at Burswood for the racetrack. So a question today public consultation. Is it any good? Or is it just the government telling you what he's already a fade to complete and is going to happen anyway? What do you reckon public consultation? Is there any good? I am aware. I was involved in public consultation on the stadium and people didn't want the stadium to go to Burstwood, and that was reasonably successful, especially when the people who went along realized they were getting a big pub. Once they knew that Camfield was on the horizon, the public consultation mood chained significantly. I know there's been public consultation about the traffic bridge down in Frio. Have you been to public consultation? Is it any good? Does it do anything? Is the public feedback welcomed, ignored or taken on board? That's that's one of our questions for today. Have you been involved in a public consultation on a project on your patch law? Talk with Nick maru Chak today, the beautiful mind of Mick Collis slater On and melkriddles In as well. We have a yes no question for you today. Right, let's clear this up once and for all. If you think our politicians deserve a pay rise? Yes or no? Do you think our politicians deserve a pay rise? So Anthony Albanezi is about to get a two and a half percent pay rise, which will take his salary to I think four hundred and four in Australian dollars up to six hundred and seven thousand dollars six hundred and seven thousand dollars. So I'm asking you know what Mealsy and I talked about this morning, is a not necessarily a job a lot of us would like to do. Is he worth it? Should? They? Should? We get a pay rise? And we've had a little bit of fun with this. We've looked at some of the other world leaders around the world, especially countries that have a similar population to ours, So Taiwan's got a similar population. So Albo is on six oh seven thousand or will be. The Taiwanese present is on two hundred and ten thousand US, so that's a similar sized country to ours. So places like some similar size place a Garaner, Ivory Coast and Taiwan around that twenty five thousand people mark North Korea, and the Supreme Leader's salary is unknown as you can imagine, we don't know how much Kim Jong un is getting paid, but i'd suspect it's more than Albo. The president of Taiwan receives about half what Albow does. The president Garner received. Garner receives about one sixth so he's in seventy thousands, and the Ivory Coast president is about one quarter, so they are a comparable population sizes. So our question today do you think our politicians deserve a pay rise? This one from Ninda. No politicians know, says Neil one double three eighty two. And on the issue of public consultation, Andrew says no, it's a waste of time. Gabs his public consultation. You get to voice your opinion, but it's ignored in the most part. Thank you. Gab's good to hear from you. Aileen, who is this voice of They should get pay rises, says Aileen, preferably inversely to the inflation rate, and they might have really incentive to control it. They shouldn't just be automatic. But we used to say, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. Albo's really well paid compared to the rest of the world leaders. So I guess around about the same what Donald Trump gets. But Donald Trump does see your jet more than the Canadian PM, more than a Kis Starmer, about twice as much as what Kis Starma receives. And I guess these guys and girls to have other benefits. The Chancellor of Germany gets around about what Albow gets. France is about half. So they're just some of the figures of what the Australian Prime Minister gets relative to the rest of the world. So he does it right, actually actually gets paid more on paper than what Trump does, certainly more than key Is Starmer, Mark Carney the PM of Canada, so does he deserve a pay rise? To politicians in general deserve a pay rise? You often here in Australia the narrative that business leaders are paid a lot more than tho politicians are. The yes no question today, do our polies deserve a pay rise? The yes is a one and the nose are nine. So a lot of people listening today don't think they should get a pay rise. And I know what the police will say. They say it in state politics and in federal politics they will say, well, you know, it's it's all down to an independent tribunal. One double three eight eighty two. So politicians, department secretaries and another scene of public servants. We got a two point four percent pay rise from July the first, and that's the twenty twenty five review of narration for Holders of public office that on the show today. What do you reckon? Do our federal politicians deserve a pay rise of two point four percent? They're getting one as of the first of July one double three a two. You might like to call us about this and public consultation? Is it worth it? Is it just a process? Is it? Are these there's four of them planned for the Burswood Roast track and the first one is on today, so we'll go over there in just a second. Tony from bal Divers Tony No, it will be fair that if politicians get the pay rose, the public should as well, same percentages at the same time. Thanks Tony, good on you, Michael says, good a simon. Hell no, no pay rise. You get a ton of money when they retire, So no thanks, says Michael. And herne Hill. David says, no pay rise for albow everywhere already won't pay the unrealized tax on the three million. That's the superannuation question. Nasty man, says David. Should he get a pay rise? Would you do the job? Won double three eight eighty two, Hello, Tony, how are you good?
Speaker 2: Mining? No, but they have a significant super benefit. But not only that, when most of them retire from politics, they step into significantly high paid corporate jobs.
Speaker 1: Yep, all right, Tony, Yeah it is. Yeah. There are a lot of benefits from being working in the public service or service the public for servicing the public. For politicians when they quit, good point, mate, Thank you get to move in high places and they pick up good jobs. That does happen a lot. Get a Dylan.
Speaker 3: Hey bowie, how are I good?
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 3: Just on a Polly's pay I don't now. We all get sick of Polly's making promises and not following through with them, you know, and all the BS. So how about this, they get a pay rise, but under their contracts, for every promise that they don't come through with, they get a deduction of I don't know, ten percent or whatever a year on there salary and an adam will stop them pleading us a whole lot of BS just to get us to vote for him.
Speaker 4: What is that?
Speaker 3: What do you think about that?
Speaker 1: I think it's a really good idea. I just don't know who would do it, Dylan. Do we who's going to do that? He's going to keep an eye on that.
Speaker 3: Well, don't they work for us? We should tell.
Speaker 1: Them yes, good point? Yeah, promises that don't they aren't follow through on a good point. I don't know who would do that, Dylan. Is that a fact checking thing? It's like a whole new government department, isn't it? Mate? But a good good thought? Thanks Dylan, get a Roger.
Speaker 5: Good a Simon.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 5: The contention that Anthony Alberonizi, as a person, rather than the Prime Minister's offers, should get a pay rise. I mean, this is a person who never ever worked in the real world, went straight from school or UNI or whatever it was, straight into the Australian Labor Party are actually worked in the real world, and he gets paid really twice the amount that the leaders of France and the UK get paid, and people are actually talking about should he have a pay rise? I mean it's just ludicrous.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, he's going to get one, mate, according to the Independent Review Board. So he's going to get one. Thanks for you, Carl Roger. So yeah, the comparisons the other world leaders may or may not be you know, legits, because they are figures that we've just taken off the internet. So so Donald Trump's only on four hundred US a year according according to our data, but he is a billionaire of course. Anyway, what do you reckon? Yes or no? To do our politicians deserve a pay rise? Some of the feedback come from Facebook. The yeses are three, the nose are thirty one, but one of the yes is sarcastic. We think we'll come back in just a moment. So first of the public consultations today over at Burstwood, the former tip site, the former swamp, the reclaimed land that is the Berswood Peninsula, the racetracks going in there. It'll be you know there'll be a performing arts facility there as well. It's going to happen. It's worth about two hundred and seventeen million dollars. The announcement was made during the election campaign. Public consultation. Is it lip service? Does it work? Do the decision makers listen or is it just information sharing? Nineteen and a half minutes past nine. Back in a second, A lot of correspondents coming into. Our politicians deserve a pay rise. Olbow's getting about fourteen grand on July the first. We have looked at the other world leaders and for whatever reason, in Australia, our officer, the Prime Minister is pretty well paid relative to other world leaders, other world leaders which receive other benefits I suppose, But a lot of correspondents coming in definitely not, says Gary with about one hundred exclamation marks. That things gaz on the subject of public consultation. So we've got for the first of four forums coming up today out at burs but it's outside off the stadium and it's with regard to the racetrack and the proposed entertainment precinct. Harry from Hilton Day Harry, he says, good morning, Simon and I attended a public consultation once, but when I said I didn't like any of the four options being offered, was told to vote for the one I disliked the least. So much for public consultation, Harry, let us know what that is for. Come back to us. Send me another SEMs mate, What was the project? Stuart says the government won't listen to anybody. They didn't listen to the farmers, they didn't listen to the firearms community. This is lip service ticking boxes. Will talk to Sue Quinn from the Bursward Park Alliance in just a sec get a Stephen, A.
Speaker 7: Very interesting question. Look, I'm going to fly against the wind here. I think they do deserve a rights. My few reasons for that. Number one, I think it's actually a vital job in our society, and I think we should encourage people as much as we can to enter it. I think the decisions they have to make in times just COVID are extraordinary and excruciating. And to hear people sit back there from their couch and say, ah, who could do that? And oh it's a joke, and all this stuff that comes out, I think it's so disrespectful and so disingenuous to not really think it through. I know of an ex politician to this day because the decisions he made from time to tom someone will have a word doing and tell him off he had to make a decision. Number Two, we play sportspeople millions upon millions for a job that in no ways commence through what the politician does, let alone a prime minister. And three this business I've either had to do all their promises. I work as a teacher. Now people can resolve you have to do this, and you have to do that, and you have to do the rest of it. I do my best all the way. And for someone in the com minutes that he didn't do that bit at that day, that's a bit rich. So I think people should have a bit of think about this a serious thing and ask themselves what's the side do they'd actually want.
Speaker 1: When I put you in the yes on mate, Thank you, chieers, thanks for call. Do our politicians deserve a pay rise? Yeses and the nose are off to a flyer today and Chris says, good a Simon, Is this the P one double five take question of the week segment? Mate? It feels like it at the moment Chris given the response if it was performance based that o us don't get me started elbows on twelve grand a week plus extras plus three round plus plus plus. They're so far removed from the real world, mate, that's enough for me. In case you're unsure, it's a big no from me. Thanks Chris, appreciate that articulated in Australian straightforward speak Texas big old nope, SB and the comparison to other world leaders are the same as the CEOs of Australia Posts and USPS. Salary to population ratio is way out of whack. Thank you, Brendan. Keep them coming in. Do our polys deserve pay rise, pollys and senior bureaucrats, We'll get a pay rise for two point four percent on July the first twenty six minutes past nine. So Quinn joins us now she's the co chair of the Save Birdswood Park Alliance. The first of four dropping public forums we held today on the Burswo Racetrack and associated precinct.
Speaker 8: Get they sue, Hi Simon, thanks for having.
Speaker 1: Me, no problems at all. I imagine you're going along today.
Speaker 8: I'll be along to every single session. Basically, we planned to have a presence in the park, not a rally, not a protest, but just to be there to maybe help people better understand what's being touted.
Speaker 9: Here, because we don't believe it the information.
Speaker 8: That's out there accurately covers what's going on.
Speaker 1: Do you think it'll be an exchange of ideas or are the project managers going to show you some nice drawings and a flyover and say this is what's going to happen and when Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think in this case we have had a couple of sessions where we have been given a presentation, so a couple of people that are involved in our alliance. But I think that what they are it is there to tick that public consultation box so that people will go along there be able to have their say. They've that that are encouraging us to contribute ideas to help shape the concept development. So basically they say this is happening no matter what. You're not here to object to it or oppose it or anything. You're here to just say, hey, well we would like to see this there or we'd like to see that there. So it's not really the consultation that particularly local residents in Burswood and East Perth. It will be most affected by a racetrack. It's not the consultation that we've been promised since this was first announced in January.
Speaker 1: So I think you're right it is going to go ahead. So if that, if it is a hybrid kind of consultation where you might be able to shape X, Y and Z, how will you approach that? What do you want to see if it is going to go ahead?
Speaker 8: Well, we're not at this stage. We're doing all we can to have it stopped because it's you know, and to be clear, and we're getting so much criticism from people saying we're anti development and nimbus and all of that stuff.
Speaker 10: It's not true.
Speaker 8: People here have always known about the plans for Bursa Park as per the twenty year vision that was put out a while back. Everybody's been expecting that development. None of us have any problems with the amphitheater, all the different even the cycling events etc. They're basically trying to paint us as being objecting to everything. But the objection that we have is for the VP supercars because clearly the noise from those is going to be unbearable for the people that live here. But part of their process is to tick that box to say they've consulted with the community. It's a long way down the track, and I think because it's taken them because they've received so much criticism from people saying well, when are we going to have our say? Now they've rolled this out. But the disappointing thing is that from a resident's point of view, we expected the opportunity to have a say as local residents and how this would impact on us personally. But they have opened this up and the sessions are only for a couple of hours. Interestingly, the weekend ones only for two hours before the Eagles game and the Dockers game on Saturday and Sunday, clearly targeting sports fans and not really paying much attention to the people that have really been waiting to have a say on this and to find out exactly how this is going to impact on us. So did you, I think to be very.
Speaker 1: Yes, sorry In true so, I was involved in some of the forums with regards the stadium back in the day, and there was some objections from residents then, but the forums did explain, you know, about how the roads would work, the fact that it was getting a pub, you know, the new bridge of all of that came into was eventually rolled out and the residents, a lot of the residents changed their minds. Were you part of that process as well or did you move into the area after the stadium was built. What impact does the stadium have on your on your amenity now? Yeah, game day, Yeah.
Speaker 8: On game no problem at all. No, I don't think you see, there was this action many years ago. I've lived here for sixteen years. That was mainly regarding the closure of what was a beautiful golf course that many people had bought in the area for that reason. It was more the closure of the golf course and the development of the crown towers on that land more so than the stadium. Objection to the actual stadium. At the time, we remember there was probably about four or five other locations being banded around. People were saying, I don't necessarily think that right here on the burds of Peninsul is.
Speaker 11: The right place.
Speaker 8: I think it might be better here or there.
Speaker 12: So there was.
Speaker 8: Some discussion about it, but there wasn't the opposition that there is to this thing here, because this is a whole different thing. When the games are on the stadium, the noise is very well contained within there that the acoustics and the way that that was a stadium was designed was perfect for that and it doesn't impact on residents.
Speaker 13: If you close your.
Speaker 8: Door, you wouldn't even know there was anything going on outside.
Speaker 1: So just one fine one for me too. And if the V eight supercars weren't there for one weekend a year like that, you know, like when they come to Perth and they're up at barber Gellows, would that suffice for you and your gang? Would you be okay with that?
Speaker 13: Absolutely?
Speaker 8: But what we've been told is categorically if supercars aren't part of this, and let's be honest, they have played this down since it was first announced as a motorsport street circuit in January. It's now the Perth Entertainment of Sporting Precinct and you barely see a mention of the eight supercars in any of the paraphernalia now. But the fact is that that is part of it. That is what we are objecting to. Nothing else. They can go ahead with the rest of the development, but the noise from supercars. You know, many of these people live literally meters forty to fifty meters from where the proposed race pack is. It will be unbearable to them. That's what we're opposing, not to end of the other things.
Speaker 1: All right, So good luck in attending the forums. Thank you for chatting to us today.
Speaker 8: Welcome.
Speaker 1: Thank you Sue Quinn Save Bursus Park Alliance coach here. That's interesting, isn't it. So as we go further down the track then the main objection now is to that one weekend a year when the v eights are on the peninsula. What do you reckon one double three eight to eighty two? Have you been part of a public consultation or public forum? Is it lip service? As I say, I was involved in the stadium ones way way back in the day. There was objection to close in the golf course. There was objections from the claysbrook side as well about increased traffic where the buses were going to drop people off. But now it's one of the greatest things ever, isn't it. I'd love to hear from you one double three a eighty two give us a call at public consultation over at the racetrack twenty seven minutes to ten o'clock. There's been a breakdown in the city.
Speaker 14: Birdie drive the entrance to the Quanana southbound, that left lane block, to make sure you drive carefully. And a truck broken down at Champion Lakes Tonkin Highway southbound at Ranford of Road, the left turning lane is occupied. Make sure you drive carefully there as well. I'm Rob b verrom Peruth traffic leader six PR.
Speaker 1: Steve says, morning everyone. Good a Steve. I can't understand why one weekend a year would be that inconvenient in my opinion, Paul says burzs with Nimbi's need to stop being so selfish the supercars. We one weekend a year. I love the idea of the racetrack. Sick of the whiners. And Simon says Simon Today, Simon, there's still some placards around Belmont from the last election from Zanita Mascarahinas. Thanks Simon, Simon. I I'm not promise, I'm not making this up. I saw one of Daniel Minzen's from the state election near me that's still up from the Sustainable Australia Party. Come on, Daniel, you need to lift mate. That was a long long time ago. Gooday. Jerry Hi Timon. Hello mate, the race track. What do you think?
Speaker 15: Yeah, just listen to one of the comments there about Nimbi's in the area. If anyone believes that this is going to be used for one weekend of the year, they're living in Laala Land. They've not spent all that money on putting them a racetrack to use for just two days.
Speaker 1: Isn't it going to be used as a used as a cycling criterion track as well? Isn't it mate for bike racing and all that pushies?
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's It's interesting, isn't it that as soon as as sou Quin was sent as soon as the opposition came to the eights, you can have cycle racing and then power Olympic events, and then teaching children and teaching children.
Speaker 16: To ride their bikes.
Speaker 15: You know, let's round a dead cat on the table. Look over there.
Speaker 17: It's just a.
Speaker 15: Complete diversion from v eights and it's the eights is destroying the environment. And re to say suddenly said that those lakes are toxic. You've got you've got you've got birds breeding in those lakes.
Speaker 1: Yeah you do, yeah you do. And there's there's those my favorite, the turtles are in there as well. Jerry, I recall those lakes being part of the golf course. Though the water hazards on the golf course, I don't know that they You know that that that the Buzepnis has changed so much over the years. What it's used for those lakes were water hazards that became you know, ecosystems or little mini ecosystems. I reckon over the years. Jerry, thank you for your call. I do appreciate it. Do you are you with Jerry lives in a big park, so he lives nearby. He's a stakeholder. Do you agree with Jerry that there will be more than one supercars event each year? The other part of all of this is both what Jerry and Swore saying, is the the way it's been promoted has changed. It's no longer, you know, no longer just a race train gets all these other things. And that's true. That has that has shifted. Basil calls it a racetrack, doesn't He calls this the government for racetracks, no doubt about it. Brad says. If I text today, Brad, hello, Mato. I used to be against Polly's getting rises, but my wife is in a high paying, high responsibility, high stress job on call twenty four to seven ops critical decisions. The way she has explains it to me changed my mind after seeing what she goes to on a day to day basis. So as much as hearing what the bloke he's on talking about albow makes me cringe a little inside, I understand more now about the pressure he's under. No doubt about that, Brad. It's a twenty four hour day job. No doubt one double three eight eighty two. This is Perth today. I'm Simon Beaumont and your report has surface today and it makes for grim reading. The Banqueest Curtain Economic Centers Housing Affordability in WA twenty twenty four report shows that many aids up ninety one percent from the last report and many people can now consider this their housing situation being housing affordability or rental affordability is app ninety one percent grim reading. Steve Rowley. Professor Steve Rowley joins me now. He's the director of the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute at Curtain and co author of the report. Did I Steve, good morning? We talk about housing supply, housing stock, labor shortages, government leavers a lot on this show, but this is new information. A lot of people now pretty despondent about affordability.
Speaker 17: Yeah, and big increases and interest rates have really had a massive impact on owners, and so we've seen a big decline in the number of those owners actually rating their housing is affordable, where we've seen massive increases in rents, which is meant renters now regard their housing is more unaffordable than it was two years ago. And of course big price rises are making it more and more difficult for people to get into the market. So no, it's not a pretty picture.
Speaker 1: There's a telling statement in the report, Steve, we are witnessing a breakdown in the ability of WA's housing system to meet the needs of ordinary Western Australians.
Speaker 18: That is.
Speaker 1: That's very confronting and jarring for me.
Speaker 17: Yeah, well, we've been in a housing crisis for a long time. Anyone on very low incomes has been in a housing crisis for decades. But now it's spreading to people on moderate incomes. And I think that's why everyone's terming it at housing crisis, because it's suddenly affecting those people that you know ten twenty years ago wouldn't have had a problem accessing housing. So that housing crisis really is spreading, and government have been powerless, both federal and state to actually do anything about this. We're relying on the market. We're actually fueling demand through things like the home Guarantee scheme and they've helped to buy scheme and so, yeah, it's a concern and ongoing concern and unlikely to turn around anytime soon.
Speaker 1: Have you got kids, Steve, that one day might hope to buy a house?
Speaker 19: I do, Yeah, yeah, absolutely, I've got two girls.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I'm already thinking about how on earth they're going to get into the housing market. And we talk about the bank of mum and dad, and if you're lucky, you've got the bank of your grandparents as well. But yeah, relying on others is now what young children growing up are having to do, which is a terrible situation.
Speaker 1: In the report, and as I've only read the executive summary Steve this morning. In the report, is there any light at the end of the tunnel? Are there any suggestions leavers, green shoots anywhere.
Speaker 17: Well, I think we're starting to see housing supply increase, and this is new housing supply, and that's important. We're still sort of way below where we need to be. We should be building around about twenty five thousand dwellings per annum just to keep up with demand, and we just pushed past twenty thousand. The government has invested money into the provision of social housing and that's encouraging, but we're only now just going past where we were in twenty seventeen, so a lot needs to be done in that space. We're starting to see the rental vacancy rate increase, but it's extremely variable.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 17: We've seen an awful lot of new bills going into the add of suburbs. We're starting to see a rental supply there, but in our areas have actually lost rental housing, so there's no relief in sight. But there's encouragement through schemes like built a Rent, which might offer an alternative to people. And you never know with housing markets. Economic shocks tend to have it with handling market, so something could change. But unless something does change, I can't see anything traumatic happening in the next a couple of years.
Speaker 1: Steve Reewer have long advocated for reducing stamp duty for people who are right sizing or downsizing there's a you know, a lot of empty nesters who are in four x twos or five by threes and the kids have moved out equally at a lot of our listeners ponus and say, well, I want to live in this big place so the kids can come over visit and you know, he every couple of weeks and we'll see the kids. So there's an argument both ways. But it is a notion of adjusting to the stamp duty take for the government, that government revenue reducing that so people can move into an apartment, move out of a big house, so someone else can move in.
Speaker 17: We shouldn't have stamp duty in the first place. It's a barrier for everybody. If we remove stamp duty, we'd see a lot more activity in the market. There will be a lot more purchasing opportunities for people, whether they want to write size or become first home buyers of those that are over the concession limits. So it's a terrible tax, and I think the entire industry is united in thinking about ways to replace that tax. It's just the barriers. It provides a good revenue to treasury, but it does no favors to the housing market and I think we'd see significant listings in the established market if we scrapped stamp duty, which would certainly allow people a lot more choice when it comes to purchasing housing.
Speaker 1: All right, very interesting, Steve, Thank you very much for talking to us today. And I imagine people can go and see the report online somewhere.
Speaker 17: Hey, they can, It's freely available on the Bank West to an Economic Center website.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks for chatting to Steve. Thanks well, Professor Steve Rowley. Interesting. Hey, as I say, we we nearly had our first argument here at the Perth Today Show. Whether we're going to do this story today because it does make you feel despondent about housing affordability, rental affordability, Steve Raley saying, get rid of stamp duty altogether. Never heard anyone say that. I've heard people say reduce it. So you know, when you're an empty nester mum and dad living in a five by three or a four x two, move into an apartment somewhere but don't want to pay the stamp duty, Steve sayst all together one double three eighty two. Do our politicians deserve a pay rise? Our bots getting one? On July the fourth, all the pollys are and Lee's getting a pay rise to Susan. Lee's paid over four hundred grand a year. Yes, it is the seventeen the nose of fifty six, did I Craig.
Speaker 20: Good morning?
Speaker 16: What a beautiful day for Thursday? Yes, the land tacks and stamp duty. If they get rid of stamp duty, they'll bring in land tax. So you know what you're gonna do. You're gonna win or you're gonna lose. It all depends on the swings in the roundabouts. Maybe it's best to live with what we've got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't. Yeah, thank you, Craig. Cheerose. Mate, It is a beautiful day on a Thursday for a Thursday. Yeah, I don't know that that would would happen. Imagine imagine that. Imagine the loss of revenue to the state if we did away with stamp duty. It's a it's a massive take, is it. It's a massive part of any purchasing decision and the supply and the demand issue.
Speaker 17: You know.
Speaker 1: I've got a mate she's looking at buying a two a two bedroom apartment. They have fifty sixty people puting in offers, fifty sixty people attending home opens, for that hour on a Saturday. The demand is extraordinary. Houses that are on the market for five hundred and they go for six fifty just for a little apartment in the inner city. I'd love to hear from me one double three eight eighty two. It's twelve and a half minutes to ten o'clock. Sydney's texted us Hi, Sydney, Hey, guys, just listening in on affordabiliting getting into the housing market. My partner and I trying to buy our first home. We bought a block in jane Brook and a couple of builders charging us three percent area loading. Wow, area loading. Never heard of that, Sydney. It's not that far out of the city. Surely it worked out to be fifteen thousand bucks. We have a six month old. Just so stressful getting your foot in the door with all these other costs area loading, Sydney. That's a new one to us or to me. Certainly, do our pollies deserve a pay rise?
Speaker 21: That?
Speaker 1: Yes, is eighteen. The nose are sixty one.
Speaker 18: The best of the best are heading west for NRL State of Origin Game two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, next Wednesday. Hey, six PI has double passes to be one. You can win them on the show today catch all the action live New South Wales versus Queensland. New South Wales dominated the first in counters. This is next Wednesday, June the eighteenth of office. Be listening later in the show for this. Yes, thank you Tina. So when you hear that, and we'll call in with today's code word here it is. Today's code word is kick. Today's co word is kick. Rugby league players often kick the ball on the fifth tackle. Kick. So when you hear that, que de call song Tina. Simply the best one, double three, eight out of two. Ring in with the code word which is kick. I'll say it one more time kick, Ring in love to hear from you today. Do our politicians deserve a pay rise? And nose are sixty one? They're off to a flyer that yeses are eighteen. Get a neil. There you go, good mate. Housing.
Speaker 22: Yeah, I think there's another market out there which people seem to forget about as well. And not only is there the first time buyers that need to get on the market, but there's also another market in there, or another level of people which are divorced people that are trying to get back onto the market after losing their home. So my partner and I have both separated and we've we're obviously together and now we were renting a place in Clarkson and more by two, nothing special, and we want to look at trying buying something similar to that. But it's like eight or nine hundred thousand dollars for a four by two in Clarkson, and it pushes you out of that barrier with only a short time of ten fifteen years of mortgage. So what I find is that we've been pushed further and further regional and we've managed to purchase a home in York. Ironically, it's the same travel time from my Perth City job to Clarkson.
Speaker 1: It is from it's really wow, just.
Speaker 22: An hour and a half, but it's further but it's moving all the time. So we've need to purchase a really nice house out there on half an acre of block for six hundred and ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Is that right? Well? Okay, all right, So I guess all those you know, they're almost pery urban places now, Neil, aren't they? As you say an ouns an hour and a half out of the city and is an option for people? Hey, thanks for you, core mate. Good luck with it all. Thank you, cheers mate, Neil who's moved to York and it's the same commute time as Clark's and I was hoping we'll get a positive story out of all this. This morning, one double three eight eighty two is the number. Law talk with Nick Maruchak after ten thirty today, So if you have a legal question, Nick will be in after ten thirty in the phone lines will be open. A lot of correspondence coming into the show today. Melanie High, Melanie. It's not just the she's a no, it's not just the politician salaries. They also get a huge amount of allowances. Glendis is redownsizing stamp duty is only one component of costs, and for me, that is not the main issue. Thank you, Glen. Real estate agents selling fees too high you, thank you, Glenda. It's never to leave locals to save a deposit. Partly lifestyle attributed partly by the dream of a big, big house that has everything, but mostly too much demand by an influx of buyers. Glenna, I don't yet, thank you, glend I don't know if that is an apocryphal, an urban myth that people want massive houses day one. I know lots of people who just want a two by one, A lot of five fo people in Perth, Glenda who want a two by one to live in when they are down from the Pilbro or the Goldfields. Thank Glender. Really good to hear from you. Greg and Guildford said, it's simple, stop the police payer rise, give all first home buys a twenty dollars grant and wave the stamp due to give them a go. This is Gregor of Guildford. There's some criticism that the first home buyers grant has overheated the market. Greg. We do need to build more places, don't we do? We need more stock and some of that stock could be existing homes. Definitely know, says Joan Anne. No payer for the police. This government, especially this government, both federal and state, are ruining our Australia. Sorry you feel like that, Joan Anne talked. We talked about the future the other day on the program, didn't we definitely a know? Sis Richard. As much as I have different opinions on Trump, at least he donates all the presidency presidential salaries to charities. Well he can us both to Richard Caney because he has other income sources. But that point has been raised a number of times by our correspondence today. Not a single politician we have he will do that. Even though they're well off. They will spend every single cent they are entitled. Do they pay taxes? Would have thought so, Richard? Police pay taxes? Don't they thought so? Remember Malcolm mccuska, when he was governor of Western Australia four hundred fift grand a year, donated all that money to charity. Good morning, Malcolm if you're listening. Looking forward to seeing the report on the state election sometime soon, Malcolm, and I think tomorrow is the day. And Barclay, our gun producer, and Ann and Sean were telling me today that tomorrow is the day the deadline to Woodside responding to the Federal government to murray what on the extension of their lease at the Northwest Shelf. Stay listening. Chelsea Bowden's been to the press conference out at Stevenson Avenue and Chelsea will join us after the ten o'clock news. We believe that the Transport Minister and the Treasurer has made some comments on the racetrack given today is the first of the forum, so Chelsea will bring us all of that in just a moment. We'll get Jacko's tip for tonight as well. Bulldogs are playing the Saints tonight at Marvel. I think Jacko, who you know, very very good footballer, a very good football analyst. I think he's one from the last seven weeks on Thursday night. So we'll see how jack goes tonight. Do our politicians deserve a pay rise? Ourbo's getting one on July the first, The yeses are eighteen and knows to sixty seven? Wow, we and the correspondence continues to come in. This is berthday. I'm Simon Bam on ten o'clock. Now let it play out.
Speaker 19: I reckon that bit downhearted, feeling a bit downhearted about the housing affordability report today.
Speaker 1: That's a curtain have come out with the people feeling despondent about being able to buy a house or even afford to pay rent have gone up by ninety one percent in twelve months. People just think they just are incapable of getting into the market, either as a rent or as a buyer. And as I say, I've got a mate who's trying to buy a little place at the moment and the number of people that go to the home opens and the number of offers that come in the office. You know, real estate asking for five hundred plus and these joints are going for six twenty or six forty. And it's a tough, very very tough, not just for not just for for you know, first home buyers, but people who you know, I've got into a situation in their life where they can look to buy a home one double, three, A eighty two. I remember five FO workers. We've been living in this city for about half of their time as well, so they're always looking for places. There's plenty of those, Frank says regarding the MOTIPLEX proposal today, Frank, the general public going to be for it, of course, it's somewhere to go, just like the stadium is racing for one weekend a year. Question Mark, give me a break. It's the thin end of the wedge. The precinct should be like South Bank in Brisbane, and Frank goes on, there is high, high denity residential living around the area with many more thousand residents yet to come. Should be embracing our green spaces and keeping them for future residents. Should be about proper town planning planned by professionals. That's how the burs would park. Twenty year revision plan came about. The government needs to grab a brain, says Frank. I used to play golf over there a lot, and I do remember those lakes. These beloved wetlands as they're now being described, were water hazards on the golf course that sort of turned into their own little mini ecosystems. I don't ever remember them being beloved wetlands. I have to be honest over water hazards on them the old Burzwood golf course one double three A two. Do our politicians deserve a pay rise? Albow and the gang at the top end are getting a two point four percent pay rise come July the first. And I did bring you some of the figures that Albo sort of in the relative to other world leaders, is pretty well paid. Now, other world leaders may receive other benefits and different pension schemes and concession schemes, but Albow, relative to population and relative to other world leaders, is well paid. I think only the places like Singapore and North Korea that there are a few anomalies, I guess outlies, but Albo's pretty well paid relative to the rest of the world, can.
Speaker 10: I Robin, Oh, hello Simon. Just on that note about the Prime minister, of course, his pay rise, just as a bit of trivia, is roughly fourteen and a half thousand dollars, And the public is supposed to be excited when they get a little subsidy, a little hand out. Fourteen and a half thousand dollars is roughly equivalent to half a single person's age pension. That's just a bit of a trivia for the year. For the year, the annual annual single pension is roughly twenty nine grand. I think, so that's just trivia to think about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, right there, Yeah, that's a good stat.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but anyway, that's just a stat. Now getting onto the first home buyers. I've priended off this sheep for our young adults, trying to help them out and get them out of home. There's no stamp duty up to five hundred grand. How many houses in berths are up to five hundred grand? Not many of these competing and competing. The other point is that you may you may think, wow, I found a little, tiny, weening little bed set. A type situation you need to be able to earn good money, to have the affordability to keep to get the loan to borrow that you know, you need your twenty percent deposits so that you don't have to pay loan lenders, mortgage insurance at lm I, and then you work it backwards. Even on one hundred and forty grand, I've done the figures, you can only borrow roughly five point fifty five hundred and fifty thousand. So when the median house price is well over seven hundred grand, it is really becoming difficult for these young people, very very difficult, and just about out of the question for a single person.
Speaker 1: Well, that's right, and that's that's there what this report was saying that we covered today. Robin, Thank you, Robin, thanks for your thoughts, Thanks for your diligence. They're wonderuble three eight eighty two. Tony.
Speaker 20: What do you think, well, Simon, I think we're going to start thinking about this differently. I think we have to start thinking generationally like our parents. Well, we're going to be we're going to be old these I mean in my mid forties. I shouldn't be downsasizing. I shouldn't be you know, I should be keeping my house. I've got two daughters. When I die, they can have it. They can split the money and they can start. We're thinking too much. We're not thinking generationally. We're not thinking European styles generationally. Were thinking about going to cruises, going on holidays, buying things that we actually don't need, just because we can. We have to start thinking generationally, otherwise our kids are going to be Now it's one in ten the average salary versus the average house party. It's ten times the salary, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is, Thanks Toning, So that's a good thought as well. So it's called spending the kids inheritance, isn't it going on a cruise, going to Europe, buying a nice car, a jet ski, whatever it is. Yeah, So it did impact on more than at a family level. It impacts more on more than just the person buying a young person or first home by buying Thanks Tony, good on your mate. We appreciate your thoughts today. I'm going to take a quick break, James. When we come back, Chelsea Boden will join us. He's been to the press conference this morning with a Premier cook and Rita Safiorti. The Treasurer and Transport Minister Chelsea will join us in a second. Frank's come back, he says, Frank Simon, it's not about the wetlands over at BIRS. What you're missing the point, says Frank. Frank. I was responding to an SMS that came in about preserving the environment and the green space over there, and that was one of the early arguments from Save the Peninsula that these are much loved wetlands. So I'm responding to that, mate. No to pay rise, Thanks for you, correspondents. Frank, No to pay rise, says Martin. Lee says, I'm working in Maddington today and have noticed how big some of the council verges are. Can we use that land to develop in housing? Seems a waste to have big vergons going unused. Thank you. Lee cheers and says yes to the politician's pay rise, definitely, but what they have to put up with mean thanks. And this one this is no, I'll count them one, two, three, four, five, eight.
Speaker 19: No's like this, Oh no, no, no, no, no, no, yes.
Speaker 1: That's a bigard. Dibbley guy can't remember his name, but he used to say no a lot. Chelsea Bowden has been to the press conference with Premier Cook and with the Transport Minister Rita Safioti ad at Stephens Avenue the extension and primarily a press conference about congestion busting in the Northern suburbs. Chelse, how are you morning, bo I'm good.
Speaker 23: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm very well. Thanks. That's the That was the main announcement, wasn't it.
Speaker 24: Yes, yeah, The main announcement today was about those Northern Suburbs congestion hot spots which are getting some upgrades. You might remember that ahead of the state election, the Cook government promised a major funding package to upgrade several of those really bad hot spots in the north and Rogers Cook today confirmed that they're going to spend one hundred and thirteen million on those projects. That money is being set aside in next week's state budget, so seventy million dollars of that is going towards the Erindale Road read Highway intersection upgrades, which was talked about a lot pre election. As we know, that's actually going to be a total of two hundred and twenty five million from the state government for that project, and the federal government plans to ship in the same amount, but just seventy million is going to go towards that for this next state budget, and about thirty five million dollars is going towards upgrades to Wanneroo Road as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the Wanneroo Road, sorry, Chelsea, the Wanneroo Road uprades. It's Warwick Road, Hepburn, Nangara East and Whitford So a lot of those those major intersections will be upgraded. And there's a bit of bit of work being done in Morley and Kragy as well. Was there any mention of when that Stevenson Avenue extensional beaks finished, Chelse, because according to the website it should be about now.
Speaker 24: Yeah, so Premier said that it should be in the third quarter of this year, so pretty much any time in the next couple of months that should be finished and read to be opened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, so we'll be able to drive down Stevenson go sort of behind IKEA and cross the freeway there to those on rams and off rams. That's the plan. They did.
Speaker 19: The Burrswood Racetrack come up today, Chelsea, it did.
Speaker 25: Yeah.
Speaker 24: Rita was asked about that one today, So I think as you guys were talking about a little bit earlier. The first of four public information dropping sessions for that planned Birdswood Entertainment precinct is happening later today. We have talked about it quite a lot on this program that many locals have been very vocal about how against it they are, and the oppositions chimed in a lot too. So Rita Safiotti today, talking about those dropping sessions, has said she really hopes that everyone who attends can be really respectful and use it as a safe space to provide their feedback, and she also wants it to be an opportunity to clear up some disinformation. She's really reiterating that she doesn't want it to be known as a permanent motiplex like that one down in Quanana. She says, that's pretty misleading to call it that. I think we have some audio here of her speaking on that one.
Speaker 26: Oh, we just hope the sessions are done in a cordial and respectful way.
Speaker 27: We have public.
Speaker 26: Servants that are there. We don't expect there to be any agro or any disrespect.
Speaker 27: This is about.
Speaker 26: People learning about the project.
Speaker 8: There's a lot of.
Speaker 26: Misinformation out there saying it's a permanent multiplex, which it isn't. So it allows people to find out about the proposal and also provide their feedback. In particular, and as we move around, more and more people are interested in seeing what they can get out of this new precinct, for example, wheelchair basketball and a number of different sports which currently are looking for homes. So we're really looking to engage to see how we can make it as multi use as possible, and also to make sure disinformation or the lack of the wrong information that's been out there is correct. It's not a permanent MOTIPLEX.
Speaker 9: Do you instruction?
Speaker 26: No, A MOTIPLEX is a drags troop. It's what is in Quanana, And to say that it's a permanent MOTIPLEX that there'll be motorsports there all around the year is actually wrong.
Speaker 1: So Riada hoping that the mood is cordial and polite at the drop in forums Chelsea, the first one of four today. We had noticed in our news headlines today that the Pentagon are looking to review the Orcus arrangement with Australia.
Speaker 24: Did the Premier mention that, Yeah, So the Premier did touch on that. You would have heard that in the latest news bulletin that the Trump administration is going to review the ORCUS packed. The Premier says it wasn't really a surprising revelation and they were anticipating that a review like this would happen, and the UK government has actually undertaken a similar review recently. Roger Cook says he's still pretty confident that the Trump administration is committed to the principles of ORCUS. I think we've got some audio here of Rogicook on that we are.
Speaker 28: Confident that the principles of ORCUS will remain in place. Now there's going to be a review that was anticipated and not unexpected, but we expect that the principles will remain in place. As I said, it wasn't unanticipated, but we are watching that space very closely. The other element of our part in the ORCAST partnership is rock solid, and that is the Federal government's commitment to base, frigate and other surface vessel construction at Henderson. That will continue to be an important part and obviously we want to be able to see ultimately nuclear subs be sustained and maintained in Western Australia moving forward to eventually Australian crude subs, but we just need to wake the outcome of that review.
Speaker 1: So Chelsea that he's confident that the review will go ahead, but it'll be your guns are blazing and the project will proceed.
Speaker 24: Hey, he seems confident, but yeah, definitely want to keep an eye.
Speaker 21: Close eye on.
Speaker 20: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Aything else come out today, Chelsea.
Speaker 24: Nothing too exciting. A bit of a chat about electricity credits, which everyone has been thinking about recently. There's been a lot of reports in the media that there's not going to be any electricity credits included in the upcoming budget. Rea Safiotti was asked pretty sternly a few times about it, and she was said fast on saying that you will find out next week when the budget is announced. So no word on that, will have to wait and see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, thanks Chelsea, thanks for the update. Appreciate it.
Speaker 24: Thank you, babe.
Speaker 1: Chelsea Boden from our newsroom here at six PRS. So there's a little bit more information for you. The bit of a change, a subtle change in when the police are going out these days to announcements, they're very well briefed on the issues of the day, so their teams, their media teams are reading the paper watching the news, listening to six PR and well prepared to respond to the issues of the day. It's not definite that the rebates the credits on electricity will continue and will be a part of next week's budget or not. We don't know that. It's speculation at this stage, having had a look at them this morning. There are numerous rebates available. Most of them are for concession card holders. They're on travel, health schemes, anything where the state has a function, transport, housing, electricity, gas. There's a lot of rebates available, but they are mostly available to concession card holders. One double three A two here is Glenn Jakovich is tipped for tonight. Now, even by his own admission, the AFL great concedes that he hasn't been good at picking Thursday night games. But for what it's worth, Glenn Jakovich reckons that tonight at Marvel Stadium, the Bulldogs will beat the Saints by twenty seven points. The Bulldogs to beat the Saints by twenty seven points. Do with that information with what you will. Thank thanks for taking our call. Twenty five past ten. Story that came across our desk today. The town of York, the people who live in York are unhappy that they might be getting a new landfill development. Essentially, we're waste from the metropolitan area will be trucked into York and put in this new landfill development. People aren't too happy about it. York Council have continually opposed the idea. Local residents have opposed the idea. Lachland Hunter is a national MP. Is the nationals whip actually for the Central Wheat Belt joins us Now, Hi, Lachlan, how are you?
Speaker 20: Good morning vote and good morning to all your listeners.
Speaker 1: Is this going ahead? Where is the process at and why the local opposition?
Speaker 29: Well, the processes is that it's sitting on the Labor Environment Minister's desk. And this has been a long, hard fought campaign which my predecessor, me Davies, raised many times in the State Parliament and I'm continuing to do that as a new local MP. My first grievance in the Parliament was to the Environment Minister to ask when he's going to be signing off on this landfield development. You know, two hundred and fifty thousand tons of Perth waste being dumped on our oldest in land settlement in Western Australia. Is pretty pathetic and I'll be fighting too to nail to ensure that the government doesn't approve it.
Speaker 1: So that's annually two hundred fifty thousand tons of tons annually. Where is the al woun A farm relative to the town of York, Lachlan well.
Speaker 29: So as your listeners would know, FAI drive to our beautiful avont Valley on the weekend in between the Lakes Roadhouse turn off on the Great Eastern Highway and York is where this proposed development will be actually occurring. And for those people that travel on that road regularly as I do, you know it's a pretty windy and narrow road, so you know that's a lot of truck movements per day up in that neck of the woods. So this is not just bad for the community, it's bad for road safety and it's also bad for our environment. You know, it's very very close to Mundarian wire and those essential waterways that you know that water are great states.
Speaker 1: So this has been twelve years in the planning, has been delays, frustration for the residents of Hilk and for the shire in the Wheatbelt joint the Wheatbelt jay DApp have rejected as well, but and the EPA gave it conditional approval, so it would seem to me that this is going to go ahead.
Speaker 29: Well, I hope that the government and they have an opportunity now to actually listen to the community of York, to listen to Aboriginal elders, and to listen to the environmental concerns that have been raised. You know, we had a former Upper House MP in the State Parliament from the Labor Party actually do a joint petition with the National Party on this, so you know, this could have a Biparsson approach and the Minister should actually do the right thing and get rid of it, because there's actually other local governments in my electric boie that actually want landfill opportunities, so you know that they shouldn't just be looking solely at York. You know, the proponents have made their case very very clear that they don't want this to go ahead, so the Minister needs to start listening to them and can the project.
Speaker 1: From memory Lachlin that when you sort of turn off at the Lakes and you head into head into York and probably about ten ten to fifteen k's in on the northern side off the road, there's a quarry or some sort of brick works or something in there. Anyway, isn't there is that sort of the area talking about.
Speaker 29: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, though the BGC quarry is just as you turn off, and this proposed development's probably about fifteen to twenty k's towards towards York, so in the Shire of York, and it also buds onto the Shire of Mundaring and I can tell you that the Mundaring Shire are also very much opposed to this landfield development.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you this that if it's so far out of town, why are your people worried about it? Is it's the road, the environment, the extra traffic. Is it?
Speaker 29: Absolutely, it's the main arterial road into York. And you know, as tourism is growing within the Avon Valley, you know there is major issues that are set around road safety, road concerns and also the environmental impacts that all have on coming into you know, the prestige Avon Valley. And we also mustn't forget us all vow that this is w A some of the W's primist agricultural land. You know, we should be actually focusing on ensuring that we're protecting and nurturing what we all know from Western stain agriculture, which is clean and green. So yeah, this has gotten no appetite and the minister has the opportunity now to just you know, to shoot this one off at the hip and to get.
Speaker 1: Rid of it. Yeah all right, thanks for talking to us here, Zollie, thank you. Lock from Hunter, Lockie Hunter. He's a National's MP, new MP. He's in Albany today, but getting a couple of text messages coming in on this has been twelve years in the making. You know, you know the road, don't you if you head out to your it is winding and pretty narrow through their very very picturesque so probably about halfway between the Lakes and York the Alawuna landfill proposal, and it seems to me that it is going to go ahead despite local opposition. What do you reckon?
Speaker 16: Won?
Speaker 1: Double three? Ay two. Love to hear from you. If you live out that way and you're listening to us on the app today or perhaps in your car, give us a shout one, double three atty two. Yes, no questions. They were trying to clear this up. Do our politicians deserve a pay rise? We're off to a flyer the nose is seventy four. The yeses are twenty four. We would love to hear from you if you have a legal question. Nick marou Jack in the studio.
Speaker 14: Next aware they break down the north Bridge Tunnel westbounder and trends the left emergency lane block to make sure you drive it carefully.
Speaker 1: And that truck is still broken down.
Speaker 14: In champions Tonkin Highway southbound Ranford Road, the right turning lane partially closed by incident response to mechanic is also on site. I'm Rob Beaver on Perths Traffic leader six pr.
Speaker 19: Good anat Hello Bowie.
Speaker 1: Hey you going great. That's a little bloke. Yeah he's doing good? Is he yep? Causing you any grief?
Speaker 30: I just sometimes I come home late and.
Speaker 1: See what you say? Does he listen to you?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 30: Look not not really. But every night now I'm coming home and he's dressed a spider man. We play, we play the games, and sometimes I get home late and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, all right. The hard working Nick Maruchak, father of Lev one Double three eighty two. If you'd like to speak to Nick Mark, thanks for calling. How are you?
Speaker 22: Yeah?
Speaker 15: Good?
Speaker 11: Thanks? Jim Right, So the situation, it's my friend his mom passed away a few months ago. He's in his mid fifties. He's lived in the family home with his mum and dad forever. He used to work. Oh, his dad passed away a few years ago. His mom passed away. But before that is mum got sick with cancer. He became her career. And now that his month's passed away, he was recently told that the house has got to be sold according to the will. Now he's not sure what to do and he's looking for somewhere which way put him in the right direction, if that makes sense.
Speaker 30: Yeah, So this is what comes to mind Mark first of all. When so I'm going to assume that your friend maybe since his financial need right, and let's assume that your friend is in a worse financial position than the siblings. So if that's the case, one strategy is your friend can potentially challenge the will. Right, so he's been allocated and equal share the same as everyone else, and he can say, look, this is my circumstances, I don't I mean a further need of further provision from the will. And what the court can do is they could change the terms of the will and maybe give him more right so that's an option for him. He has to do that within six months of probate being granted. And that's so that's a deadline for missus that the time lapses and you have to get an extension. And if the other siblings are able to agree, there is a mechanism to change the will. You do it through something called a deed of family arrangement to contract everyone over eighteen signs to change the will. So your friend could probably start a discussion with the other family members to see how much of their share they're willing to give up.
Speaker 11: Oh okay, yep, all right, So yeah, I forgot to say his syst that which hasn't he hasn't seen in years since his dad passed away, never hasn't been in contact with him or his mum since, and never came to his mum's funeral life So and he she won't speak to him.
Speaker 1: Who's the executive I'm.
Speaker 11: Not too sure. I think it might there be the public trustee. Possibly, he's not too short himself.
Speaker 30: Yeah, so he would. So you want to get a copy of the will. We want to find out the executor is. You want to find out what steps they've maken to apply for probat because that six month deadline is ticking, so it sounds like he's probably not going to get consent from the sister, so he would probably then the next step is to look at making this family provision claim. That's what it's called challenging a will provision.
Speaker 17: Right.
Speaker 1: There's lots of.
Speaker 30: Lawyers that do it, least Croft from Croftbridge is one lawyer that I kind of I know she does that kind of work, but many other lawyers will do it. Some lawyers would do it on a no win, no fee basis as well. But the first step is you want to get sit down with lawyer and go, do you think I can get more than just an equal share. He may not get the entire house, but he might get more than he's getting now, which might set him up.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I mean we try and rent, try and buy for what you get. For a guy, I don't want to see him homeless.
Speaker 30: Set Yeah, So that's the steps you've taken. That's the mechanism, and the court decide what's fair and they'll weigh everything up. But yeah, you can't challenge a will if you're well off. You can only challenge you will if you actually need further provision. You have to have that, and it sounds like it's got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, I hope that helps, mate.
Speaker 11: Thank you very much, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Choose mate, thanks for calling in one double three eight eighty two. If you'd like to speak to Nick Maruchak, our hard working team have spotted this loophole in the town of Basandine's in the area of graffiti. Nick, if you live in Basso, someone graffiti's your home, your residents, and if you refuse to clean it up yourself or the Basendeine shy, I will come and do it for you.
Speaker 30: Yeah, that's nice of them, that's right. So basically I had a look at this legislation. There is legislation called the Graffiti Vandalism Act of twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: State Act YEP state legislation.
Speaker 30: And it basically says that if you if counsel gets your consent to remove graffiti, then there is a mechanism in the act for them to recover their cost of removal. But if you don't give the council consent to remove it, then the local cancer has the power to go into your property and remove it, but then they can't recover.
Speaker 1: The removal that cost from you.
Speaker 30: So and that's look section twenty five.
Speaker 1: Have a look at that.
Speaker 30: So and so this is this place that applies statewide. Then so then if you have graffita in your house and council sends you a letter saying can you please remove it, then it appears to be an incentive there to say no, thanks, I'll just wait for them to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They so in the first instance, they write a letter to me, and so that you've got graffiti on your fence, you need to remove it at your cost. And if you say no, and then they will come do it. Anyway, what if the city you stilling would do that?
Speaker 30: And I think it will depend and if it is unsightly enough, right.
Speaker 1: So it's hard I saw. Yeah, Okay, if it's a huge.
Speaker 30: Public I saw, then they'll probably do it. But otherwise you have to weigh the cost of having this free to your house versus cleaning it up.
Speaker 1: And yeah, many many many years ago, there was some anti six PR graffiti on Orrong Road, targeting the station manager and myself well suggesting that I'm suggesting a certain act that I would enjoy and yeah, and the local cat which I think out I think out there is the big park. I think they removed it for us, but yeah, it was. You know, they say all publicity is good publicity, Nick. But if that's true at one double three eight two, family law is, you're very much in your remit big changes the family law acts around.
Speaker 30: Pets, that's right. So the changes came in this this week. They apply to people who are married, so they don't yet apply it to de facto couples because de facto couples I dealt with by slate state legislation, and this is a nationwide one and it basically allows the court to make orders for pets. In the past, pets were treated like in the same way a car would. But now the court can say, look, they acknowledge that the pets have and people have an emotional connection to their pets. So they would take a bunch of factors into accounts, such as who's cared for the pet, who's contributed to it, if there's any attachment to the pet for any children, and stuff like that, and then they can make an order and who keeps the pet right So they can say you have the pet or you have the pet based on these factors. If the court also had the power to sell the pet. But one thing they can't do is they can't have like a custody style order for the pet right, So you can't say you have the dog on this weekend and then next weekend it's shared. And my guess for that is probably because if people have an agreement disagreement about this, it's probably going to clog up the courts with fights about that and they're already understrained.
Speaker 1: But it won't be a function and drop down menu and my guv anytime soon. Big changes to the Family Law Act. To give us a call lots of times to get your calls in. If you'd like to speak to Nick today, one double three eight eighty two, anything you'd like. Of course, Nick specializes in family law. We'd love to hear from you today, One double three a eighty two. Is Nicole there, Jimmy, She is, Yeah, Hi Nicole? How are you?
Speaker 9: Oh good?
Speaker 8: Thanks Simon.
Speaker 31: I was just hoping for some advice. My mum was involved in a very bad car accident eighteen months ago. She's just received a large some payout some iqua. She does get a part pension and has superannuations, so I presume we have to go to center link and does she have to now start she's over eighty start lodging tax returns.
Speaker 30: So that is an accounting question and I can have a quick look at this, but you would have to speak to your accountant about that because I let me get back to you on that one, Nicole, because that one would just stumped me on the face of it, because there is an argument there to say, well, that's not taxable income, right, So that is that is a payment for pain and suffering, So you have to have a look at Actually, I think it's coming to me now. So when you get the personal injury payouts, a portion of it is going to be allocated to lost income, right. So if that's allocated to lost income, then there's a good argument that is taxable, right, and the government's.
Speaker 1: Entitled to that.
Speaker 30: But then the portion that's allocated to pain and suffering or injury to your body and stuff like that, that stuff my understanding. But check with the account is generally not taxed, right, so that's tax free. So it depends on how the insurer has allocated and normally, in a lot of these claims, they separate them into various categories. So have a look at that. And if the entire thing is for pain and suffering, then there won't be tax. And also if your mother's under the there's a tax free threshold, right, and if your mother's under that, then well you might have to declare the portion that's been allocated to lost income, but you just don't pain attax.
Speaker 19: If she's ak, yeah, there's no lost income is there?
Speaker 30: If she's overrating, there wouldn't be though, so but you have to check because you know it's these are technical things. So if there's no portion allocator of the tax income, then potentially last income or any anything of that nature.
Speaker 1: With minimal Yeah, all right, it might be worth getting an account and to have a look at Nicole. But off the top of Nick's head, and I could hear that, I could hear him there's actually a noise. While he was his world, he was thinking, there's a little whirring sound in the background. Nick reckons she won't have to declare that in her tax return because of payment for suffering thanks to Cole.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Sheers will stay there, mate, will come get you in just a second. It's fifteen minutes to eleven, or as normal people say, cord to eleven, but on.
Speaker 19: Jimmy A bit of a John Butler Zebra one double three eight to eighty two. If you'd like to give Nick Marouchak a call from MK illegal Hello, Will.
Speaker 13: Good Sarmon good Ay, Nick, I'm just wondering if a person can be the executor, the sole beneficiary, and along with their spouse, be the sole witnesses to the signing.
Speaker 23: Of the world.
Speaker 30: So, yes, a person could be a sole beneficiary and an executor, but it's recommended that they don't witness the will, right, so will needs to be witnessed by two people. It's good practice not to have the beneficiary and their partner witness the will because that can lead to allegations of undue influence and stuff like that. But if that's already been happened, then there is under the Will's Act, there's technically nothing from preventing it, right, so the will should still be valid, but it just opens them up to a lot of allegations later.
Speaker 13: Would they need to apply for probate?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you only need.
Speaker 30: To apply for probate if if you need a court order, right, So, say, if you have a joint property with your husband and wife, the property automatically goes the other person, you don't need to apply for probate, but if the house is in sole names, you would need to. So it just depends on what assets they have on whether they need to apply for probate.
Speaker 15: Right.
Speaker 13: So, if the husband died first with my mother and the house went to my mother and then she passed away, then definitely, but they've got to apply for probate.
Speaker 30: But usually when a husband and wife owned property together, the house automatically transfers, So you don't need probate in that case unless you know there's a there's an asset in a bank account that's it's more than fifty grand or something.
Speaker 13: But if the wife dies, then whoever's the beneficiary needs to apply for probate. Yep, Okay, very good, thank you.
Speaker 1: Nick, Thanks will good on yet thanks for calling in? Did they? Jodi?
Speaker 32: Hi?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 20: Are you going doing well?
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 22: Just have a question. My son recently separated from his partner.
Speaker 31: They have a child together.
Speaker 33: He wants to stop her being able to like move whether it be up north, down south into state with that child.
Speaker 6: Is there a form that he can complete for that?
Speaker 30: Yeah, so you would apply to the court to get something called as an injunction. So if someone if someone is threatening to leave the state or threatening to leave the country, then you're What normally happens is you make an emergency application to the court and you ask the court to stop them from leaving. The court will make this decision based on the best interests of the child, so it'll take they will take into account all the factors. But these things can be complicated, and you really want to make this application if you have some sort of evidence that they are going to move. So if the partner's made the threat of moving, then he probably needs to act quickly and lodge this application with the family court. So if you like, Jody, I can give you a quick call after and give you some recommendations on either some lawyers or or some steps you can take. But that's the process you will need to be Yeah.
Speaker 1: Thanks Nick, Thanks Jody, thanks you call. Good luck with it all for Yon has sums you nied Hello fion she is how long does the next partner have to rearrange her mortgage in her name for the home if she has agreed to the settlement?
Speaker 30: So what you normally see? Yeah, so normally when you have a settlement. You have something called consent orders documented approved by the court or bunny financial agreement. It's whatever is in the terms. So usually the consent orders will specify your sixty days or thirty days.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 30: If there's nothing in the consent orders and there's no time limit in the agreement, then it's a reasonable period of time, right. So a reasonable period of time varies from case to case, but I would say sixty days is probably pushing it. And if you can't get the finance, and you can't refinance, you've tried everything, then then it's time to consider potentially either the other person taking over the mortgage or selling.
Speaker 1: So hope the hell's Fiona. Thank you very much for all your correspondence today.
Speaker 12: David, good morning to you both.
Speaker 4: Nick.
Speaker 12: I have a will in place. I have three daughters and they are the fisheries of of my estate, and I've nominated them as a joint and several executors. How do I go about tinding a lawyer or somebody to give them assistance in carrying out their duty as executives or taking it over if they don't want to have anything to do with that duty.
Speaker 30: So the way I would approach it is you want to have. You give your children the first choice to act as executives, because an executor can hire a lawyer to help them. Right, So, generally speaking, I would say keep your children as executors and they have the option to engage a lawyer. If you do have a law firm in mind that you think will be a good fit, then what you can do is let them know about it in advance.
Speaker 1: Or write wishes.
Speaker 30: Lest you see you write something these are my wishes, right, make sure you write it, keep it away from the will. Make sure you say this is not a will, This is not a legal binding document. These are just my wishes, and that's where you can give them some advice and give some messages to your execus it that your executor can take into account when they act.
Speaker 1: So that's the way I would do it.
Speaker 30: I would I would leave them on and if one of them drops out, it's fine. The other two can keep keep staying. But you always want to give them that first right to decide on who helps them.
Speaker 19: I want to be a bit more proactive and get them to get some help, professional help for them.
Speaker 34: Day.
Speaker 30: Yes, yes, so I would say lawyer would be the best person to help. There are also and these they are also professional executive companies, right, but they can charge a lot. So I would say, maybe you have a chat with a lawyer, have a meeting with them, and then let the let your daughters know. This is someone who can definitely step in and give them their contact details and have it all ready to go their help.
Speaker 20: Dave, that's a that's a great help.
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Cheers, mate, Thank you for phoning in and good luck. I hope you live forever. Mate.
Speaker 32: Hello Diana, good morning, thanks for being there. I can't noted from the government website the power of guardianship papers which my son signed when the hospital refused to treat him. I use that power of guardianship to ask why they didn't. And they have insisted that they need permission from him to speak to me. And he is mentally ill and not in a position to give any sort of legal agreements. So the hospital, as I said, has refused it to give me the information I require. How do I go about getting it?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 32: This is should they respond to me under the power of guardianship or or can they ignore me?
Speaker 30: So I mean, if the first thing is when it comes to these kind of medical treatment. The first thing the doctors in the hospital do is they can the patient give consent? Right, They go to the patient first and they have a decide if the patient's got consent or not. If he can't give consent and he's that mentally ill, then the person who's guardian under the power of guardianship does is able to give that decision. And sometimes if they can't find person, then there's a whole list under the Guardianship and Administration Act that goes through and specifies the order.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 30: So the hospital has probably made a decision that your son can give consent, but you probably think he can't. Write Is that right, Dan.
Speaker 32: He has been a mentally ill patient at that hospital on a revolving door basis for the last two years.
Speaker 30: Yeah, so you if he can't give consent, you will be entitled to it. But if he can give consent, then the hospital's right. So if you like, I can give you a quick call, find out a bit more details and try and point you give you some strategies after.
Speaker 1: Thanks Nick, Thanks Diana, thanks for phoning in. Nick, Thank you for today. Mate. We're done. I hope you get to do some get some spoty time with Lev a little bit later on this evening. Have we get home in time and do some good parenting. Yep, that's right, See you next week. Make thank you Nick Maruchak from mka I Legal, do our polyge deserve a pay rise and nose are eighty six and the yeses are twenty four. When we come back, Nick Corlos will join us after the news.
Speaker 35: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Thanks listening to the show today. Just a reminder that our call of the day today can win for themselves. A couple of passes to go and see Blonde in the Wind. It's at the Regal Theater and also down to IMPAC the ma Mandra Performing Art Center. Thank you to Maolo Promotions. You can get your tickets through a ticket Tech. So Blonde in the Wind the music of the music of Bob Dylan, the music of Joan Biaz and the music of Johnny Cash as well. So a rip of musical and that's so we've got a couple of tickets to give away today for that keep listening too, for that queue to call. It's a state of origin. Tickets up for grabs as well. One double three eight to eighty two. If you want to call us Mick Callus in next. Good everyone, thanks for listening in one of my favorite hours of the week. Just we're on the doorstep of that right now. Mick Corlis will join me in just a moment. My equal favorite along with Chris Murphy and Things with Going and Jacko my equal favorite certainly in my top hundred, top favorite hundred hours of the week coming up. Alistair Gada. Alistair, he says, gooday, I was at the Supercars on Sunday and they showed a video of the new racetrack at Birds, so it sounds like it's already been decided. Alistair says he saw a video of the new racetrack at Birds at one of those flyover things. I guess, Elisair, that is very very interesting. Let's do this, could I meet?
Speaker 19: I think top hundred's a bit harsh, Simon, don't you think?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Probably? I try to try and make your laugh. Oh yeah, my top It'd be in my top seventeen, easily top seven. But I'd love to hear from you today one double three eight eighty two. Mick. I wanted to bring you this because we have talked about this product before, you and I on the radio station so Choice magazine have come out and had a crack at some sunscreen brands might say SP fifty plus, but it's not he's not doing what it's supposed to do. Yeah, Rot, and you and I had a chat about what we thought is in sunscreen and what did you think was the main ingredient? Milk? Yes, you thought milk looks like looks like milk, So went back, went back a few years. Mick thinks that milk is the major ingredient of sunscreen, but it's not. Some other things there and some other things. Remember Willy phone in from Swiss to Switzerland, Willy phone and will he put us on the right path. So here's a bit of a retro look back at what is in sunscreen, the.
Speaker 3: Grease, the tendance and older stuff Evan that got intestines, the whole lot.
Speaker 1: That's right. I remember vintage that's tallow. It's melted into a tallow and that makes and then they put the milk in later. I think definitely milk. You would have heard this morning if you're listening to Breakfast, that's Belmont. The city of Belmont, the suburb of Belmont is pers best kept secret. Would you agree with that.
Speaker 19: So, how do you describe a best kept secret. Well, I think, in this case, somewhere that no one goes.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's it's I think that's what one of those places you drive through, but when you added up, it's got a really nice part there called Tomato Lake. It's got that sky diving place, it's got restaurants, it's near the river.
Speaker 32: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the city of Belmont his Perth's best kept striker, Nick, I'd like to I'd put it to you. I'm going to put some names to you, and I reckon this is these are places you've never been, all right, And what I'm going to ask You're gonna throw some names at you. I reckon these will all be knows suburbs of Perth or we knows all. And I want you to try and tell me where you think they are.
Speaker 19: All right, all right, I much surprise you here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, I hope you do.
Speaker 19: Okay, I've been to Belmont because I've been past that sky diving place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on the way to the airport to do one of your talks.
Speaker 19: I did one the other day. I know I'm transgressing here, but there was a guy he looked like Con McGregor stood up the back with his arms folded.
Speaker 1: At one of your talks.
Speaker 19: Yeah, and he just looked he was just watching me, and he was right in my line and he just watched me. I've never seen someone look so miserable, And I thought, how can this guy be so not enjoying this? And then then I start doubt myself and think like going in with it self doubt And he's just looking at me with his arms folded, and then three quarters.
Speaker 1: Of the way through he's just walked out.
Speaker 19: And so for the rest of my talk, like my head was just thinking, what's going on? What have I done wrong here? Really he threw me completely through me he walked out.
Speaker 1: That was weir. Wouldn't happen very much. No, first, your talks are very very good, and normally I would never walk out of you.
Speaker 19: Normally it's if it's a nighttime thing. It's dark and you can't see anything, so they could be leaving but you don't know. But this was a daytime thing in an office, and he was looking at it and just and he just walked out.
Speaker 1: Horrible. Anything like agree all right, places I reckon you have never been to please try and guess where they are if you Guildford.
Speaker 19: I've been to Guildford because I had some friends went to Guildford Grammar. Mark Skiffington went to Guildford Grammar. So I've been there. And I went out there for a funeral to the school in the chapel. And I went to Lilac Hill one time for a game.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, when you were? Were you that grand asser out there? I was there. What happened? Someone stole on my job? Yeah it was you.
Speaker 19: I didn't steal you, Yes you did. Got the job at Lilac Hill he did.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't. I took the whacker job. Yea. He stole my whacker job of me.
Speaker 19: Yeah, and then you took it back. But I never did, like all, I refused to do that that I thought that was yours.
Speaker 1: Spearwood Spearwood ever been there? No, but I've heard of it south south yet near where name one Spearwood Landmark? Jeez, I as you would go? Do you remember? Remember?
Speaker 19: There used to be a thing called singles Desperate and dateless ball a desperate. So I went to one of those with a group of my mates and and I met a girl that night who lived at Spearwood.
Speaker 1: It's a very very tenuously.
Speaker 19: I didn't go anywhere because I thought it was too far away and too hot, which shook hands and that was it. Darts, darts, I've heard of darts north Yep, what's there?
Speaker 1: And don't know? All right? Okay, shopping center that yeah, no, just just say anything. They're all gonna have shopping Speirard's gonna have an oval spirit Averlely Averly, No, have a guess where it is? South? No? North, it's not south, it is north. There you go.
Speaker 19: It's near where's barn where barns are used to live, Barnsey at least ellen Brook. Yah's near Ellenbrook Overly. Yeah, I have heard of Averley Greenfields.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard of Greenfields before. South north east west. I'd say south, yeah, south, how far south? It's in Mandra, suburb of Mandy Greenfields. Yeah, there's a lot goes on. It's very there's a complex socioeconomic going on down there. Is that a relatively new suburb? No, it's an old suburb. Have they renamed it? Not that I'm aware of.
Speaker 19: Has it always been Greenfields? Because that sounds like one of those fansy new names where they used to have a bad name. They've now called it Greenfield.
Speaker 1: Cob Up coobl up.
Speaker 19: I've heard of that as well, because you know it's spelled interestingly.
Speaker 1: How long have you lived in Perth for thirty years?
Speaker 19: Because don't they spill that c double ol?
Speaker 1: And you've never been to spear with Dutch Avons, Greenfields or Cuberla, but you've driven through Belmont, you went went out on a date and you met a girl who lived.
Speaker 21: Here.
Speaker 1: Going really good? One double three a duty two is the is the phone number? Well done, Micky if you like to ring And last Mick, if he's been to somewhere that you know that you live, he can one double three eight eighty two. This is Lisa Hollins this morning. Lisa is the president of the Belmont Resident and Ratepayer Action Groups. She spoke to Millsy and Carl.
Speaker 34: Well, it depends what you want to do when you have a holiday, but it's not somewhere i'd come. I mean, if you go to Paris, you go to the Eissel Tower and have a look. You know there's many other places and in person you've got a lot of other attractions everywhere else, but you've.
Speaker 19: Got lots of accommodation places, you know, those cheap hotels and and.
Speaker 34: The great news is another one hundred and twenty apartments have been just passed yesterday.
Speaker 1: A part of your city, Yes it is, Well.
Speaker 19: What's wrong with it's beautiful stretch of the river there goes down to Belmont par You've got the races I mean is Scott Yeah, Ascott?
Speaker 34: Yeah, you could go to Ascot, but not everybody. If you're not into horse racing, you probably wouldn't go to Avrocot, would you?
Speaker 1: What about Belmont Forum?
Speaker 19: That's an experience, It.
Speaker 34: Is certainly an experience. I personally don't shop there.
Speaker 1: Experience there well, you.
Speaker 34: Know, parking sometimes an issue there, and you know the city is encouraging all certain councils are encouraging her ound to bike everywhere, but you might get to bike stole when you come out to take your load of shopping home.
Speaker 19: Man Sam, very positive about the city that you represent.
Speaker 34: Lisa, Well, not as a holiday destination.
Speaker 1: So who is that lady? She's the president of the Belmont Resident and rape Payer Action Group.
Speaker 19: Wow, she's not a fan of Belmont by sound. Doesn't like the forum, doesn't like the apartment, doesn't like ascot of course, you know that strip along the Greatest and Highway with that river is like, I think that's a fairly poorly planned part of Perth. Of course that should be beautiful, that should be riverside park land, expensive properties. But it's just this big road and as she said, some of those cheap pots.
Speaker 1: A nice cycleway goes through there between the houses, and it's quite hilly. There's a there's an island in there in our scot Waters is the little island you can go onto. A little cycle way around that as well, which is pretty cool. Lisa's Lisa's job as president the Bell not Resonack Action Group should be up for review. Idn't exactly sell it. Likes living there, doesn't want people to come there for a whole holidays. Get a lads, Tomato Lake they got.
Speaker 9: Hey, hey Mick, he've got no idea.
Speaker 20: Where you live as in Perth?
Speaker 9: Yeah, no idea.
Speaker 1: Figure out a bit more. It's too hot.
Speaker 9: When honestly I love you, some things you come up with as unbelievable anyway, I like, do you know why it's called tomato?
Speaker 18: Like?
Speaker 19: No, there, I say, because look at tomato.
Speaker 9: No, they were wetlands Okay, back in the day the Italians moved in there, they had market gardens or whatever. And you know the Italians do do the the tomato sauce thing.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, they get the pasta sauce. Yep, tomato basis pasta sauce.
Speaker 9: So all the leftovers, they'd all go down to this little swamp there which is tomato like and they throw tomatoes at each other and that was an annual thing.
Speaker 1: How long ago was this last?
Speaker 9: Oh god, I think it's probably probably in the early nineteen hundreds, but they would have just this massive, big tomato fight. Everyone would come.
Speaker 20: Down with their make that up did you make no?
Speaker 9: No, no, this is a true story. This is how it became called Tomatoke.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, and I'll put a rider on that because lads did go to the wrong gallipoli on and.
Speaker 19: Thanks laz Hey. Let's stay there, mate, we'll get to you in just a second.
Speaker 1: You know where is that?
Speaker 19: Where's Tomato Lake in Belmont City? I know my missus used to take the kids to Tomato Lake. Is there a kids thing out there?
Speaker 20: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a big playground yea, and a rec center just nearby as well. Good on your lads milk and son. Michael says, Mick thinks milk. The sunscreen has milk in it, can understand where doesn't have a job. And George ma Ashfield says, asked me if he knows where Ashfield is in Sydney in Yeah, I don't know. Ine, I actually don't know where Ashfield is in Perth. I must be honest. Is there one in Perth? Yeah? Called the World? George reckons there is. I actually don't know where it is. Is it out Armada A way? I don't know. I didn't know. I already thought there was one in Sydney. We'll come back in just a moment. Thanks. Mick Les is with us today. You've got a question for us about cryogenics. Yes, I can ask you now. Yes, I was driving over day and I saw Danny Fremantle. You know where that is? Yes, I was driving down that way and there was a car. It was a cryogenic company car. Would you freeze yourself? I don't think so. And do people do that?
Speaker 20: Well?
Speaker 1: You know Nick Maruchak from mk I Legal to our lawyers. He's looking at it.
Speaker 19: But I'd be interested to know why.
Speaker 1: So you can come back later. Yeah, But what for.
Speaker 19: To do some good thing, more good things, interesting things. I just find it really the future. I just don't know why you do it? Why would you do it? And I figured, are you a no? I'm a no. And I was talking to my missus about I said, would you freeze yourself? She said, if you were young and you've got an illness, she said, you might freeze yourself, so then hopefully you can cure it. But then you don't know anyone or your mates are dead. When you think on my own, well, but on my own no, it live. How much a house price is going to be a one hundred years, So I think it's a really odd thing. And if you're old, what do you want to freeze yourself for?
Speaker 1: If you're old?
Speaker 19: So I'm interested to know if anyone, yeah, is going to freeze themselves, where.
Speaker 1: Do you do it? Would you you freeze yourself? This is a Queensland company driving around Ashfield is south of Basandine. According to Anne Barclay, I didn't know that. I'm out there a fair bit. Thank you, Anne, cheers. We'll come back in just a moment. Would you freeze yourself?
Speaker 20: One?
Speaker 1: Double three adady two? And I've got a little bit of audio to play to you as well. Next day listening everyone call Nick called Mick one double three Aighttady two called Simon one double three eight ety two. Thanks for listening in get a lez.
Speaker 20: A Mick.
Speaker 36: Have you ever been to Maddington and not just driven through Maddington?
Speaker 19: I've heard of it and it's I don't know if I've been. Is it Danny Cannington?
Speaker 11: Well, it's about two suburbs further south along Albany Highway.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 16: I lived there till I was twenty one, rural lovely. My parents offered me.
Speaker 6: Free land to build a house.
Speaker 16: I said no.
Speaker 2: The only reason I go back there now, unfortunately, is when some old cousin passes away.
Speaker 19: Well thanks, thanks as cheers. The Maddington been through, yeah, so I've been through football. I've been through Madison. So that with that land that he knocked back, it was semi rule in the day. Yet it's sort of in a city or city now, isn't it.
Speaker 1: MESSI right now should have probably taken that little bit of land Maddington, Maddington, that's right, one double three a c. So I've gone. I've named nine suburbs. You've got them all wrong. Never heard of them. I've heard of them. I've mentioned I've got Ashfield wrong, and I'm getting hammered on the tapeline.
Speaker 19: I remember Jillian, Are you serious? Says Peter. Are you serious? Jillian last week said you need to get out more? And she's dead right.
Speaker 1: Do you know where alfred Cove is? Yes?
Speaker 19: How come because I Palmira Rugby Club. It's just near Alfred Cove.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 19: I've had a friend whose parents lived in Alfred Crok and we place.
Speaker 1: Nice place, isn't it. I think Dave lives there. Ashfield's near the airport. For the one hundred million people who told me the Ashfield is near the airport near Bayswold and Bass and they I promise to get out of the house a little bit more. You've received a text message yes so food one day.
Speaker 19: So Ben's and we're talking about adopting kids yesterday and Ben's girlfriend said that if they came to her house they wouldn't let us have a kid because her house is a messy. And I've just got this text from my wife. She's practicing relief teaching today. She says, tell Simon, I had a hole in my tights so I had to color my skin with a sharpie. Now the hole keeps moving around, so I have to keep coloring the skin where the hole is. Is this today or recently? That's right now? Fresh she's listening, okay, because I think she's sort of free period.
Speaker 1: So she's yea, it wasn't that having thirty years ago? No, that's today. So there's got lots of dots on the legs. Yeah, that's funny. Shas Sandra lives in Ashfield.
Speaker 37: Hi, Sandra, Oh, Hi, Actually I don't live in Ashfield, but I walk my dog at Ashfield Park, which is great. And you know, I was just surprised you guys didn't know what Ashfield was. As you said, you've got lots of pon cold saying it's new airport and it's between basen Dean and Bayswater and it's need a river between Gilfied Road and the river.
Speaker 13: Yeah that's where it is.
Speaker 19: Is it an old suburb?
Speaker 37: Yes, quite old. Actually they made the movie I think year or two ago about Bassendean. It was a local movie down by young couple people and they use Ashfield currently this woman. It was a comedy movie I think, but the woman went and used the phone box opposite. I ga Nashfield and she keeps saying, my kite is broken down. I don't know where I am somewhere.
Speaker 13: I have no idea.
Speaker 37: It's actually if you sort of visit and just drive around. They have some amazing houses around.
Speaker 21: Near the river.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you appreciate that. So I reckon. We're up to two million. Este Messas now bagging you next to Besandine after Bays were before, Bess and Dan, Dan, Dave, Ron, Peter. Everyone's getting stuck in One double three at two is the phone number? Would you consider freezing yourself of one double three A eighty two. Hello, this was Jillian last week giving me some advice on getting out of the studio.
Speaker 8: Mick, all your people that work on the radio, so she should get out have a look at what's going on in the world other than just being on the radio.
Speaker 19: She now that, didn't she You don't even know where Ashfield is, certainly the I sleep in the studio.
Speaker 1: I sleep here. I've brought up my kids in the studio. I've never been outside. Well, you got that right, One double three a ad two. If you'd like to speak to Mick Collis today, Mick, I'd like to play some audio. Yep. This is from Jeff Wayne's War of the World. It's a it's a musical tribute to Can I play you a bit of audio before you play your bit of audio? Yes?
Speaker 19: Your Your bit of audio will take us somewhere in mind, doesn't But can I play of course?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 35: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 38: Jeanie got a gun, Jennie got it gone?
Speaker 20: World? Dumb on.
Speaker 1: Where I can play your you're taking a shot? That song about a school shooting, about school and put the twenties in it, in a school shooting. Yes, me listening, hear it again?
Speaker 38: Je got it gone, Jennie, got it Gone.
Speaker 1: I don't know that's what that song was about, obviously not. Oh that's that's very that's very good boy. That that sums you up. That sums you up. That little lesis in II one double three idea. Now we can buy your bit of all. Right, here we go. This is from War of the Worlds. Have a listen.
Speaker 39: No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that human affairs were being watched from the timeless worlds of space. No one could have dreamed we were being scrutinized as someone with a microscope studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. Few men even consider the possibility of life on other planets. And yet across the gulf of space, mimes immeasurably superior to ours regarded this Earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely they drew their plans against us.
Speaker 1: Pretty good bit of kit. That's the style of war or that's Richard Burton, Sir Richard Burton. But what's at the start of the start of War of the world So the actually Wroes novel. That's from the novel that's in the in the words of the journalists. Oh that's okay, that's yeah, it's the start. So that's the it's a double album's the startup. That's a nice voice. Hey, so hang on a second. Not as good as Tony Max. Pretty good. So there's a book War of the Worlds. But what we're just listening to, So that's the it's a double album, a musical version of tribute. So Jeff Wayne was a composer and a musician and he brought the brought the double album out that was a tribute to War of the World. It told the story of all the worlds in music. Oh okay, and it became a stage player as well, I think, so okay, and became a film with Tom Cruis in just yeah it's the whole War of the World's Yes, yeah, yeah, So we have australianized and australianized that put into chat GPT.
Speaker 19: Okay, yeah, I was wonding with this, was going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we australianized it, and I think it's a I'll bring to you after this break, have a break.
Speaker 19: You got to read it like in Awes and Wells reading in Australian Burton who read that one?
Speaker 1: Richard Burton?
Speaker 19: And you're going to do it, but as an Australian version of what he just decid unless you want to do it, No, no, no, You've got Australia want you do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay. It's just an a I exercise. It's a bit like Janey got the gun?
Speaker 19: Why did that myself?
Speaker 1: With Audacity? That wasn't Ai, that was me. Is Audacity software program.
Speaker 19: It's just a sound thing that you can edit. It's an editing software sound thing for nextuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very good, Mia says, go through one of your walks through Ashfield. It's the fancy part of Basandeine River views in the home of Adrian go Ashfields is meya, it's probably.
Speaker 19: Yeah, there's lots of places along that river that are very underrated, very beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't think have been utilized well enough. Closer to Basso, Mick on the closer to Baslon and Guildford on the on the river side, there's a lot of homes that have river that has just been tied up. They probably own those homes since the nineteen hundreds and nineteen twenties. Yeah, and the public can't get to them. Okay, there's a lot of places like that one double three eighty two, Jayden, Lindsay, Wayne, please stay there. We will come back in in just a Second's twenty eight minutes to midday. Darren Reed lives in Ashfield, does he? Yeah, just take to me, Hello, Darren.
Speaker 38: Darren.
Speaker 1: Darren's playing at koreeen on Saturday.
Speaker 19: He's good. He's very good fellow, good music. Yeah, good bloke, isn't he. I'm very good.
Speaker 1: We've got to We've got a little segment coming up very soon that Darren's helping us out with Stay listening listeners. The song Janey's Got a Gun is about a girl who shoots a dad. It's not necessarily about a school shooting technically, but you get my point that you got about it. It's probably about appropriate. It's about a firearm fatality. You've made a joke out of right, Jayden today.
Speaker 10: Gooday lads.
Speaker 15: Honestly, mate, this is gold mate.
Speaker 22: You guys need to do a whole day of this rather than this little segment.
Speaker 15: Mick, you are absolute gold, mate, absolutely gold.
Speaker 10: But listen, listen.
Speaker 15: I'm a rap on the road, been here about twelve years and I honestly moved over from New Zealand. I have no idea where I'm going and I'm lucky I've got this GPS I.
Speaker 1: Would be last.
Speaker 15: I'm in Corfield. I'm in Corefield right now and I don't actually know which I'm going, mate, so I'm trying to get to the city.
Speaker 19: Simon doesn't even know where Corfield is.
Speaker 1: Since the race, I don't.
Speaker 16: Even know where Corfield was.
Speaker 36: I was like, go there, where is it.
Speaker 3: It's up the back, I don't know, somewhere near Godsfields.
Speaker 1: I think it is up to the back.
Speaker 19: Of course, there you go. Well thanks Jade and cheers mate, Jade. Excellent work, can a lindsay?
Speaker 20: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Good guys.
Speaker 7: Embleton do you know where there is?
Speaker 8: Meg?
Speaker 19: Is it only the vines?
Speaker 25: No?
Speaker 5: It's situated between Moley Bayswalder Inglewood and it has a nine hole golf course, does it?
Speaker 19: I used to live in Inglewood. I didn't know where Embleton was.
Speaker 17: I'm not will you probably drive by every day?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 17: Okay?
Speaker 30: Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it a small sort of little part, small pocket?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's small, hard I suppose, but it's it's Yeah, it's just been there for years.
Speaker 1: Absolute heartland. Thanks, thanks Lindsey. Good and do you know where success is success? Yes?
Speaker 19: I was down there on the weekend. Actually that was at the Success Regional Sporting Complex. Yess because the Southern Lines would be saying we're playing Midlands down there and it's our success. It's a their club, fantastic club, one of the one of the great community clubs are yep. Really just they get a good crowd down there. It's a good good they're exactly what a community Rubby club should be. Yeah, Southern Line, so I might head off.
Speaker 1: To them my line. Thank you, Joanne, thank you for your thoughts today.
Speaker 36: Get a Wayne, Hey, boys, there you going?
Speaker 1: Wait good?
Speaker 21: I just come over, Well, just come over. And you kept me on the whole for so long.
Speaker 15: It's about an hour ago, Gil Sorry sorry mate.
Speaker 21: In the Battle Dean and the fuel station on the left there selling it for a dollar forty six.
Speaker 1: Now, Wayne, that's you've got an eye for these things, haven't you, Wayne? For these bargains.
Speaker 21: Well, I'm not driving me trucks today. I'm not in me Kenny, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, Kenworth. Cab over cab over something?
Speaker 19: That's called cab over I don't got anyway.
Speaker 1: What do you mean over?
Speaker 19: There's a truck, there's a start. That truck is called a cab over something or other?
Speaker 1: Is that right? Wayne?
Speaker 21: Now mine's the stubnos, Because.
Speaker 19: What's the one the cab over something? What's it called a cab over something?
Speaker 21: Well, it's just a cab over truck, mate, because the cab goes over the engine.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See some of the things I don't know at all.
Speaker 21: Make whatever you do. Don't go and get a truck driving job, mate, because there's enough people out there that don't know what they're doing when they're driving truck.
Speaker 19: And I think Joanne was saying, do you know where success Hill is? I don't know where success Hill is? Is that in success I hope so should be, or maybe it's not. Though maybe success Hill is another suburb.
Speaker 1: Leslie says. Colfield Road is out in Gosnels and Thornleigh. It's not actually a suburb, it's a road. Lisa says, I freeze myself every day with cold showers. Really interesting.
Speaker 19: I've been a few I've had a few cabs coming home from the airport and when I tell them where my dress is, they just give me their phone and I just just whacked my address on their phone. And that's how That's how they get around. The old days, the cabbage used to know all the streets.
Speaker 1: Yeah they did. We've had an email, haven't we a text message? Ann from which we can we read out from the head of the the Bayswater. Sorry the Belmont Rate Players Group, thank you, and so Lisa Hollins is listening. Hi Lisa, thanks for getting in contact. Hi Bowie. The question raised this morning on Breakfast was Belmont as a tourism destination, which was not what the interview was about, not about living here. So Lisa Hollins is president of the Belmont Residents Action Group. It is not my job to promote Belmont as a tourism destination. That is the job of Mayor Rossi, who wouldn't come on air and he was woken up by the Brecky crew. That was that was pretty funny. They wake him up at ten to seven. Oh really, what time should mayors get up?
Speaker 19: I'd say cord to seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I reckon, mayor seould get up at six. The good the ones who come well because they do what to do business for your counsel at six o'clock. But who else is up at six o'clock? Everybody who or the everybody they are? That's you can't say everybody's up at six captains of industry up at six.
Speaker 19: That's where you're working, mate, because I get up at a quarter to seven, one number three, eight eighty two.
Speaker 1: Do you want to hear my Australian version? Yeah? But can I ask you a question about a dove before we do this? A dove? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 19: You know when they release doves, where do they go?
Speaker 1: They fly up in the air for a little bit and they come back. So they are they homing? Are they they come back? Don't they? But but do they come back too?
Speaker 19: They wouldn't come back to who released them. So if you're at a it's say you're a wedding, a wedding, right one of your weddings, where do you think they go?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 19: If so, you let them out at the wedding and they go, they don't come back to the wedding, do they?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I think they do?
Speaker 19: Or do they go home? And could you come in for a set please? We'll ask Ann did she have doubs at her wedding?
Speaker 40: No?
Speaker 1: But she knows a lot of a lot of things, a lot more than you and I and mixt question is when a dove is released at a at a function and a wedding, where do the doves go? I think they come back, don't they? But no, where do they come back to? And are they?
Speaker 19: Are they homing doves? Are they homing doves?
Speaker 1: They come back to the higher person?
Speaker 19: But where as into the case at the wedding or to their house pigeons homing doves? Are you think they live in different houses wherever the bloke that owns them?
Speaker 1: And can you answer, Mick please? I don't think I can see.
Speaker 41: I've never I've never thought about this before, because I've never been to a wedding where they've done the dove thing. I've only seen it in movies.
Speaker 27: Have you seen it in person?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 1: But like a f at funerals. At funerals, I don't know if they're allowed to do it.
Speaker 19: They do because I'm exploring funerals at the moment. And one of the options is a job as a job. One of the options is look at me as a job. No, I'm organizing mine, oh, so be sensitive.
Speaker 17: Side.
Speaker 1: One of the options is you can release Dutch. Janey's got a gun.
Speaker 19: And that's when I saw that. I thought, well, when you release them, where do they go?
Speaker 41: So that is an option. So you had a dove option presentage for the one that you were planning.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I want to know where they go before I signed you.
Speaker 41: Ask the people that offered it.
Speaker 1: Because that was more interesting.
Speaker 19: Now I want to know.
Speaker 1: I think they'd have to come back. They're not going, not flying to be predated upon something to eat them.
Speaker 32: I assume.
Speaker 41: I assume they're not going and getting wild doves and then just keeping him in a box for a while and then they're not go. I mean they could and then they wouldn't have to worry about where they go, because they'd probably just go, oh, thank god, I'm out of that box.
Speaker 1: Correct. First time. An's never been able to answer something I.
Speaker 41: Wasn't I wasn't listening attentively enough, and I didn't google it in time. I didn't ask GPT.
Speaker 1: I will and where did the doves go? All right? They'd come back to the handler.
Speaker 19: Surely, but at the wedding.
Speaker 1: More then, how did the handle it?
Speaker 19: How do they notice to come back? They wouldn't have to come back exactly, That's what. They wouldn't have to come back to that box at the wedding. They'd go home if they're homing doves. But I didn't think there was such a thing.
Speaker 1: We've got some double gun, of course we have. Can we just play Jane? He's got a Gary game?
Speaker 42: Please got a gun?
Speaker 38: Got a gun?
Speaker 1: Some of your finest works when you're driving home in your farm. Ut does it have bluetooth? No? Does it have Do you have the ability to play music in it with outbreaking the law? No?
Speaker 19: I've only got it's got a radio. I am FM radio and that ship I can't plug anything into it. It's got nothing, all right.
Speaker 1: Maybe when you get home, have a listened to all of Jane's Got a Gun, okay, and then then have a good look at yourself, because I don't think I've ever listened to that whole song. No, I don't think you have. Get I Peter, doves, Where do they go when you release them?
Speaker 16: Blood pigeons?
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: They're not? Said again.
Speaker 20: Simon, Yeah, tell the mate.
Speaker 16: Yeah yeah, sorry mate, Yeah, No, the doves are not the one they release. They're release bloody pigeons. Doves. Do you see them all over the place. They're not the one that's come back. No, it's pigeons.
Speaker 1: But they're released white pigeons.
Speaker 16: Yeah, whye a grayish color.
Speaker 10: They're the pigeons you know they're not?
Speaker 22: Are the ones you see the brown things that are bout the millions all around the plate?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Wow, this is a game change. So I reckon they were doves. Thanks, Peter, Good on your mate, Hello, Julie hi hi.
Speaker 33: On the Morning show The Today Show the other day, they were interviewing a guy that does that, and it's funny because he's single and he was trying to meet a girl and Carl was trying to match him up with someone and he releases doves, and he did it in the park and they just flied back to his house where he lives. So that's obviously where their food is and you know where he homes them.
Speaker 19: So and they were doves, they were doves.
Speaker 6: Well they were white, So I think they were doves.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, because.
Speaker 33: They just go back to his house.
Speaker 19: You're right, You're right, they go back to his house. Because I wonder what the ranges though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you wouldn't want to You need to get them home. If it's a business, yes, these you'd be back down the back in the dove shop.
Speaker 19: How do you train them?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Wow, you're asking the wrong bloke. Thanks Julie.
Speaker 25: Hello len Oh, morning Simon, Morning Fellers. Yeah. Look, we've had a couple of funerals and they've staid doves. And when they've gone to release them, and or we've gone to release them, I go, they're homing pigeons. How often do you feel what doves? Nada? So they're all homing pigeons.
Speaker 1: All right, Okay, thank you. Linn Lynn lives in Sonagra, however that is north yep. So Julie said they're doves. They go back to Prince where the doves crisis Jane, this one here we call plunkers today with some justification. I think, come on, plunkers, they are homing pigeons. They go home and they live every day, likely where the owner live. Simon, Doves like pigeons. They go home, says Sue. One double three ay two clowns says Peter, the lorny homing pigeons. Doves will return to home where they normally roost. Is my guest, says Peter.
Speaker 19: So we so we haven't worked out of this, but we still have their doves. So Julie thinks they're doves, but Lynn and Peter, I think, said they're pigeons.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'll have to follow up.
Speaker 19: I'll bring up the funeral people and say, listen, what are you trying to sell me here?
Speaker 1: Good question. I would have thought they come straight back to the handler. Yeah, no, round a it and they come back. Oh yeah, like Ossie the Eagle. Wonderble three eighty two, thirteen minutes to twelve. We'll come back more of Mick Collis after these want me to do the Australian version of War of the Worlds, Yes, really quickly, Yes, so you know, no one would have believed to backing that one. So yeah, fair Dingham. No one back in the late eighteen Hunters has thought us a lot were being eyeball from way out and than never never, not a soul reckon we're being sussed out or someone was squizzing at us like some science nerd. Hard anyone gave a thought the idea of alien's out there on the other planets, but turns out somewhere right across the mass and void some seriously brainy space blokes way smarter than us. We're having a squizzit Earth with a jealous eign. While we've just gone about our business. They are quietly cooking up a plan to have a crack at us.
Speaker 19: That makes more sense than the other one. Fucking I think that easy to understand. Yeah, much better, Well done, Simon, Thank you very much. Well chat GPT did that for us. So you're worried about AI taking over of you, you know you're not worried about anybody.
Speaker 1: If I get one, then I'll be worried. I never thought. I never thought as a writer, I thought I'd be safe.
Speaker 19: I thought I Chatoo too wouldn't be able to write well I was wrong, there wasn't I.
Speaker 1: Well, you use a lot, Yeah, I don't. What was the name of that program you used to do in twinies.
Speaker 19: Audacity, But that's not AI, that's a that's a bring a fight editing that editing. Yeah, yeah, so you can cut up. So someone said the tracks cut up cut one just dropped.
Speaker 1: And someone said it's the it's a free cheap one. Yeah, it is a free check one. Yeah.
Speaker 19: There's another one called mixpad that I use that I have to I paid for. But the or that'ss he's just great. It's it's just really easy to use. Yeah, eight minutes to mid day.
Speaker 1: Get a George.
Speaker 4: Simon.
Speaker 1: How are you for, George? Doves and pigeons.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's definitely pigeons. We are in the racing pigeon game. These aren't actually raising pigeons, but they're homing pigeons and they get trained around home, they get fed very well, and then that take them to the funeral part or the weddings or engagement parties and they'd release them and they come straight back home.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 19: So, so why are the wedding or the funeral places or weddings say that they're doves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, with them, but they're definitely pigeons. They are racing pigeons. Some of them are homing pigeons, but they're the ones that could release it with funerals and weddings. They are definitely pigeons.
Speaker 19: And a friend of mine needs to do and white white pigeons.
Speaker 16: Well, because they prefer white.
Speaker 4: The racing pigeons coming all sorts of colors that come in blues, reds, and grays, but the preferred white ones for weddings and funerals.
Speaker 19: Yes, thank you very much, George, good on you. I so doves are they're marketed as doves? Yeah, because if it's a symbol of peace and love, aren't I said, you feel, why don't we release some pigeons. He's not going. I'm not going to have it rats with wings. If they say doves, I have that, that'd be nice. But they're riffing us off. It's full sabotaging. Possibly can I Jeff.
Speaker 15: Oh, hi, simon him?
Speaker 1: Good, thank you.
Speaker 43: I just read I don't know what you're talking about. I just heard pigeons, but I thought i'd i'd.
Speaker 15: Ring up and give you a bit of trivia.
Speaker 43: I just had that bloke that of course they're doves. You should know, Mick, you're into markets.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying.
Speaker 19: I thought they were, but people are saying they're pigeons, but I thought they.
Speaker 17: Now they're doves.
Speaker 20: They're doves.
Speaker 43: It's marketing doves money. When they used to fly the Lancaster the Germans, this is a true This is true story because I did the tour of the Lancaster when they used to fly the Lancas over Germany because they had to be silent and in case they got into trouble there there was a cage on board and they had four pigeons on there. And what they used to do if something went wrong, which usually did, they used to tie the information and their coordinates on the pigeon and let them go and they'd and fly back to England and and they'd know where they were.
Speaker 20: That's the truth.
Speaker 1: That's a true story. Yeah, the tour. Yeah, Yeah, cheers, thank you, Jeff one double three eight two. Mel Criddle is going to clear this up. She's up next, which you're going to clear up the doves versus pigeons. When I was apprentice meek yep and I worked at the blast Furnace in Quanana. We had blokes who had canaries in cages with us. Really seriously yet, So this was nineteen seventy eight, seventy nine, and if the canary fell over in the cage you had to get out of I think it was yeah, I think it was carbon means there was carbon knox side around Okay, Yeah, pretty sure that's what it was. Or some gas gas watchers, canary and a coal mine. That's what that saying comes from.
Speaker 36: Mel.
Speaker 1: Meet Mel. You guys have met before, we've met before, you were old friends. Are doves white pigeons or homing pigeons or racing pigeons?
Speaker 40: Well, I was, I was listening to your driving in and we've had them rock up at the clinic and they're white, they're pigeons, and they are supposed to go home. They often have a tag on their leg, so they identified and there's a number that we can call to try and get them back to the person who had them.
Speaker 1: So the pigeons that identify.
Speaker 40: As doves, yes, I think so that quite large large.
Speaker 1: Beds get lost the clinic and they've been.
Speaker 19: Brought into the clinic here, right, Yeah, So do we have do we have doves?
Speaker 27: We have doves, they're not the white the white gray ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, light pink ones.
Speaker 40: We don't have white doves, not that I've seen.
Speaker 1: So that whole thing has been a sham.
Speaker 27: It sounds nice, though, it doesn't it.
Speaker 19: Yeah, but it's not true, is it the pigeons?
Speaker 1: As Jeff correctly pointing out, you work in marketing, one of your your colleague, what of your community to come up with? Is there's such a thing dove? I'm not sure. He hasn't. Look he's got his face. He looks at me like he thinks I should know. He's got his arms crossed.
Speaker 19: So that's yeah, Okay, Jackie's phone in Hijackie, Hi, guys, just quickly.
Speaker 23: When you said about success Hill a little while ago, it's not in success it's a little pocket of Baton Dean on the river.
Speaker 19: Well, there's a lot of stuf going on around Basandeine Embeleton, success.
Speaker 1: Hill, Ashfield, Ashfield, so successful. I think I think it's a It's train station too, isn't Jackie.
Speaker 23: Yes, there's a train station there as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, Jackie. You so thank you for being very polight and lovely and supportive, very something you might turn your mind to me and thank you Mel mel Kriddles in after New State, listening back in the sect three and a half to midday. Just like a white wing dove, Stevin Nicks, what's the what the next? What's the next line? He's sayned a songless sailor singing? Who I used dove soap? Is that actually made repigeons? Rob Darley? It wouldn't sell, would it?
Speaker 35: You?
Speaker 19: You people, you marketing people have got a lot to answer. No, that's why I don't like them. I don't like them. But that's interesting, so we don't. There's no such thing as a white dove in Australia. It's just a white pigeon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, similar love and hope, isn't it Well a pigeon.
Speaker 19: A pigeon is yeah, symbol of love and hope.
Speaker 1: Very good marketing, Yeah, very good. Thank you mate, Thank you, so the good rest of your day and I'll see you next week. We'll talk to cheers mate. Thank you. Doctor mel Criddle from the swan Born Vet Center after midday. Yeah, ringing today and have a chat to Dr mel Criddle from the swan Borne Vet Clinic and you could win a bag of bespoke pet food from Cherish, so calling one double three a d two Hello Mel again Bowie, Yeah good thanks So Scott from Cherish deep Water Point last week came through on his way to work.
Speaker 27: So excellent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, made locally made down a naval base. If you haven't we you know, if you if you want to win somethday, ring in. But it's a locally made product and we'd love to support Scott and the family business down there. So good a Scott. If you are listening in the dove conversation continues by.
Speaker 27: The tech What interesting, isn't it?
Speaker 35: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It is so that. I think it's they are seen as a symbol of love and peace, aren't they.
Speaker 32: Yeah?
Speaker 27: Yeah, absolutely, And they.
Speaker 1: Fly sometimes when they fly where they shouldn't they come to vet center. Yeah.
Speaker 40: The good people out there, Yeah, rescue them and bring them in and we certainly try and get them back to the respective owners.
Speaker 1: I guess sure. One level three A eighty two. If you'd like to speak to Mel Crittle today, if you're having a problem with your dog or your cat or any of your animals, ring Melchi. Very good. We have a couple of topics for you today. There's a new product for diabetes management and catsmel Yes, it's.
Speaker 40: Quite exciting, and we got we had the rep come and talk to us all a couple of days ago in the clinic and then there's a big launch event next week. But basically it is I think going to change the way we manage diabetes in cats. We see a lot of diabetes in older pussycats, and I guess it is similar to type two diabetes in US, so it's insulin resistant rather than an insulin dependent one. But traditionally our only way of sort of managing these is still to give them inchulin. So owners who are familiar with this would be, you know, remembered to be injecting the cat with insulin twice a day, having to you know, twelve hours apart, having to fit the cat the same food every day.
Speaker 27: That was sort of our way of managing it.
Speaker 40: But what this new medication does is just it's no more needles, no more insulin. It works basically by acting on a little thing in the kidneys that effects glue cooase reabsorption and essentially stabilizes glue cooase levels that way, and then the cats sort of long winded story, but start to the insulin resistance problem gets resolved, So it will just be life changing for many cat owners out there. I know, you know, I've had difficult conversations with owners before who have sort of decided that the commitment to manage a diabetic cat is just too much, and we've ended up euthanasing on diagnosis drinking a lot. I had one in last weak little spike. He presented he'd lost He was eight kilos. He was now four kilos, so he lost half his body weight in several months and he was sitting by the water bob just constantly. So his blood sugar was thirty three it should have been between four and eight. So we diagnose diabetes there. Unfortunately with him. Yeah, these products only just launched, so we've started him on the insulin injection. So certainly something for newly diabetic patients, you know, in time to come, is some a conversation to have with your vet. It's obviously prescription and certainly not suggesting that any current diabetic patients should necessarily change what you're doing. If you're in a bit of a routine, stick with it, but a conversation for newly new patients.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good, all right, what's it called?
Speaker 27: It's called send Velgo, so send Velgo. It is prescription. So yeah, something you need to chat with you bet about?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, thanks. Well than new diabetes management product for owners with diabetic cats. Well we've talked about brandsa a bit.
Speaker 27: You and I are yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 40: And I know there's been lots of talk recently of class actions both here in Australia and also overseas. And I think, as I said a couple of weeks ago, you know, as a veteran industry, we're certainly very very aware of it. It's an interesting product, I guess, you know. Within Swanborne Vet with the seven or eight vets that we've got on the team, I can only speak highly of it. It's certainly been life changing for so many pets out there. I had an owner in yesterday with her seventeen year old little fluffy poodle and she just commented to me, she was like, this has just changed Tilly's life, you know, so certainly been really promising. But it's a medication that is used in a much older population, so different to lots of new medications that come out where the average age is sort of you know, four or five years. The average age of the patients we're using this product in is about eleven apparently, and so with that comes you know, other concurrent diseases that the patients might have. So again, it's just a conversation that you need to have with your vet about, you know, whether this medication for arthritic pain is appropriate and whether or not we should be doing more testing on your pet before we started blood testing, maybe some urine test, just to check that there's not something else going on that we've missed before we then, Yeah, still using the Baranza.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Baranza. I' likes a phone in you can ring Mel Critle today. Any issues you're having with your your loved ones, your faury loved ones. Won double three A two would love to hear from you today. And I know I've asked you this over the last couple of weeks, but we now see the changes to the pit stop shops and you know rescue dogs, yes, and or registered breeders can only be sold through through that's the only waking voice of a puppy. Have you noticed any changes? Are you hearing anything?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 27: Not so much.
Speaker 40: I guess we're still seeing lots of puppies. Yeah, come through from breeders. Many of them are WA based, lots of them are all also over east.
Speaker 27: I guess.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 40: We had the Clermont Pet Shop close to us and we would sort of see the puppies from there from time to time. It's still early days, but we sort of haven't seen. Yeah, we haven't seen much of a difference.
Speaker 30: You know.
Speaker 40: As a consequence of that, certainly there's still the same number of rescue dogs coming into the clinic and you know that are being rehomed, which is lovely to see. There's lots of rescue centers out there, so it's good to see that they're still doing it.
Speaker 1: There was a little bit of a little bit of a political stir around the new software tool whereby people could register yes, either that their dog or the cat had been sterilized and that was so it's Hannah Beasley's the Minister for Local Government, and so there were some criticism that local governments weren't going to have access to this software tool for registration. Is there is local government registration the same as what you would have at the clinic.
Speaker 40: It's separate too, so we're often having we provide sterilization certificates or declarations if we haven't actually done the surgery, we'll examine the patents sort of say, well, in my opinion, it looks to be a sterilized animal. They may or may not have a little tattoo in they're left ear to indicate that they've been sterilized. So we'll certainly assist owners in getting their pets registered with the local governments. But yeah, it is a separate process to what we offer in the clinic.
Speaker 1: All right, so your system's working, Okay, Maxine has phoned melkl a maccine.
Speaker 25: Hi.
Speaker 44: Mel, I was strange to find out my six months dog, Evalier was diagnosed to the UTI a number of weeks ago. Yeah, sorry, and antibiotics didn't seem to work. And now they've told me it was told me to put him on these kibbles that have to stay on the rest of his life. But he won't eat their mother.
Speaker 13: Yes, he's very fussy about what food he has.
Speaker 44: He has to have cooked chicken or you know, cooked steak or something. Is there anything if I've got any other options given that he won't eat the food that's supposed to go because they found crystallites in his euretha too.
Speaker 40: So yeah, Okay, that was going to be yeah, all right, maccine. I was going to say, this could be a little bit complicated in answering because there's a few things here just from what you've touched on. The first would be, you know, is there's still infectionate play despite the antibiotics, and if if there is suspicion that there is, then if you haven't already, we'll often send a urine sample away to the lab to actually culture it and see if they can grow the bacteria, and then work out which antibiotics you know are appropriate to use, because we do sometimes see bacterial infections in the urnititrack that can be a little bit resistant to antibiotics, so we need to make sure you clear that up as a starting point. And then yeah, I sort of gathered from the special food that maybe we did see some crystals about the place. And so with that, it's not uncommon at all to have a young dog.
Speaker 27: Especially cavoodal type, that's fussy with their food.
Speaker 40: So I would chat to you, I would go back to your vet and just say, you know you're having here is a fuss spot. Have that honest conversation with them. They'll be able to provide you with some other options as well, And I guess I would suggest that rather than me making suggestions here because I'm not across the details of the case. But the other important thing with any sort of urinary stuff maccine is just to make sure that the dog is drinking plenty of water, so diluting out those crystals, not allowing the urine to be as concentrated so that they don't aggregate together and form stones, which can then cause a urinary blockage. So making sure that either there's wet food in there, plenty of fresh water max and sometimes even you know, with the dry food, moistening it and making it you know a little bit more water intact that way as.
Speaker 44: Well, when he was a puppy, he didn't drink a lot of water, so and he won't eat wet food.
Speaker 16: That's the problem.
Speaker 20: Yeah, So you seems to think he's gonna eat what I eat.
Speaker 27: It's funny.
Speaker 40: They don't take long to learn that, do they even, you know, And again I would really go back to your vet, but you know, chicken chicken broth can sometimes be helpful, and just having sort of tasty liquid in there for him would be a suggestion.
Speaker 19: Okay, I think the Oka maccine all good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Maxine, this Maxine, Maxine, Thanks Maxine, thanks for phony in Today'd like to speak to doctor Melcruel. You can wonderbul three a eighty two back after these. Yeah, and a big hello to Scott a Cherish who's probably listening in today and slaving away at the Cherish factory today. Good on you, Scott. Thanks for supporting us call into being the running for a bag of Cherish pet foods Folk bag for your your dog or your cat. Roses found in doctor Mel Rose, I'm sorry by there.
Speaker 45: Hello, Hi, I've taken over the care of a three year old cat who has been vaccinated previously.
Speaker 33: If I have her in.
Speaker 8: A cat run and just inside so she doesn't go outside, do I have to continue vaccinations?
Speaker 19: Rose?
Speaker 40: It's an interesting question, and I had the same thing, and I must admit I was a little bit more relaxed about continuing with the vaccinations. Now that goes against manufacturer guidelines. But what we do know about much of the vaccination immunities in pussy cats is that you know, will often go longer than the recommended twelve months. So if we you know, being in a cat run indoors, not going to boarding kennel's rows or needing to go you know, outside the property. And I guess also just thinking about where you go if you you know, are coming into contact with other people's cats and whatnot. If that risk is low, then you, as an individual and a pet owner could certainly you know, And again i'd say, in discussion with your regular vet, you know, make the decision to perhaps just do it every couple of years rather than every year as recommended. But as I said, I call, you know, say that with bearing in mind it does go against manufacturer guidelines and so they wouldn't be able to guarantee you know, immunity against some of these diseases. But as I said, yeah, my own personal experience was similar to yours, and even you know, seeing because at the clinic and whatnot, I wasn't there every year. I think I was sort of every eighteen months or so. Just stretched it out a little bit.
Speaker 8: Yeah, sure, okay, thanks very much.
Speaker 1: Thanks Rose, Thanks for bringing in geat Patrick.
Speaker 46: Guys, I've got a Kakodle which we she's for now and we bought it from Clermont Petstel. She seems to wolf her food down. We bought the bowls that have got like obstacles in the try and slow it down something, but didn't we took that quick she.
Speaker 11: Chose, does she?
Speaker 40: So even with the slow feeder bat, she's still able to to ingest it quickly.
Speaker 46: Yes, so we've got to sweech to kipple, which is a bit but you're not a fan of kipple, yes, So we're just not sure how to handle on. She's a bit like when you're food around. She hangs around with definitely don't figure at the table, but she just hungry.
Speaker 40: Or yeah, yeah for food food driven, which can certainly help with your training if they're if they're motivated in that way. I guess the other consideration Patrick would be to do things, you know, is to make her work for a food a little bit. So, I don't know if you've seen the snuffle mats and they're like I like them to like a mophead with all the tassels and that, and I guess if it's kibble, we probably don't want wet food through this, but you know, sprinkling the biscuits through a snuffle mat where they actually have to forage and sniff and find it can just help them to slow down there eating. Now you want to supervise any dog that's eating in that way, because I've also had you know, young puppies and very food motivated dogs actually then eat the snow for matt you know, if they're left with it all day. So just that can just be another instead of the slow feederballs, which is what I was going to recommend. But if you've already done that, something else to try would be the snuffle mats, and it just gives them a bit more of mental you know, the mental stimulation and enrichment with their feeding as much as enjoying the food itself.
Speaker 46: Yeah, I'm sure my partner's bought and it's got little doors and they've got to open the doors to get the food out of it.
Speaker 40: I think, yeah, there's yeah, there is some quite complicated ones. I tended to just I've just bought the one that, yeah, just with all the little tags on it, you know, fairly straightforward. It's sort of a I don't know, our foot square and just sprinkle the biscuits through that. And even you know, feeding the dogs smaller meals more frequently, you know, that's tricky if you're working. But just sort of slowing them down. That way, Patrick can be a way to do it.
Speaker 19: Yeah, okay, cheers mate, thank you for ringing in, Patrick, cheers.
Speaker 1: Really appreciate it. Steve and Virus ms Doctor Melsa's Hi, Simon and Melt. Hello Steve. Steve from Mills. One of our cats lights to sleep outside in an outside and closed there. It's freezing. Where can I buy a pet electric blanket please, Stephen.
Speaker 27: I've seen them.
Speaker 40: I think you can get them, you know, online from some of the bigger pet stores. We tend to steer, you know, not recommend things like hot water bottles and what not, just in case the cat sticks sticks their claws through it and then you end up with burns and that. But the other thing that I have purchased is sort of you can buy self warming mat, so not so much an electric blanket that you need to plug in, but sort of thermal mats that actually warm up with the cats or the animals body body temperature. So they work quite well in winter as well. Outdoor cats. I don't know if Steven's cat like this, but a lot of them, like a cubby or you know, they enclosed iglue type things and so you can make, you know, put some blankets in there to make them last warm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, thanks Steve. I'm going to guess Canning Mills in the foothills, isn't it.
Speaker 27: Do you reckon?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think it is. I think it is other Canny Mills is where it sounds like. Yeah, thanks mate, Thanks to Steve. Our winner of our Cherish a bag of Cherish pet food is Patrick. Thanks Patrick for phoning in today to have a chat to mel Well. We've got details of Patrick. Yeah, so and and Sean. We'll get that out to you mate. Thank you very much. The did you go to Bumba on the weekend to watch your football team?
Speaker 27: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I stayed home, under stood on the radio. Yeah, and then I got a bit despondent, yes, and then thought I should have been that last quarter go out in the garden.
Speaker 27: Yeah, it was very hard to watch the last quarter.
Speaker 40: And then I've got family that are North Melbourne supporters, so that was even worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, eighteenth. We can't beat the seventeenth team or the sixteenth I know, I know good in that mels very really enjoyable.
Speaker 40: It's it's a long season. What random we up to I've lost count anyway eleven or twelveen right, yeah, thank goodness, thank goodness.
Speaker 27: This weekend should be you know, got myers crossed?
Speaker 1: Have your yeah, both of you. Hope it springs eternal good on Emil that you're a glass half full, no doubt about it. Thank you, Mel, Thank you for today. Give the gang a big cuddle for us. We're back at Swanborne Vet Center and appreciate you coming on with Mick as well. Doctor mel Quittle. Well lucky like you to have it from the swan Woorne Vet Clinic. Patrick, you win the Cherish pet food. Thank you Scott for continuing to partner up with that segment. We really appreciate it and we hope our listeners can get down to the pet food store ask them to get some Cherish in for you or get it from your local vet. Go on line to Cherish dot com do au and you'll find out where your local stockist of the Cherish range of products are. It's twenty eight minutes to one o'clock. Peter from Bellmont says, hi, guys, you can buy twelve volt electric blankets for cats from BCF. Thank you, Pete and Ben and PR Awards Goday. Ben tell Steve you get a nice electric heated pet bed from Kmart. Thank you, Ben, Thank you Peter, thanks for letting us know. Let's take pause. Let's go to our newsroom here at six PR. Good afternoon, John Nichols.
Speaker 18: Thank you, so I'm in Good afternoon. The federal opposition says the government must do all it can to safeguard ORCAS. The United States is reviewing the agreement as it struggles with its own submarine production. Labour's playing down the inquiry and says ORCAS is still going ahead. A forty two year old Comescott man has been charged over an incident in Cannington in which he allegedly threatened to set fire to gas cylinders inside a hardware store. The TRG was called out to negotiate with the man. He was allegedly armed with a blow torch at Bunnings. It happened about half past seven last night. The store was closed, there was staff inside the building and they were safely evacuated. Brian Wilson, the frontman and co founder of the Beach Boys, has died at the age of eighty two. Is considered a musical pioneer. He wrote co wrote and produced many of the band's biggest hits. Michael Walters headlines group of senior players likely to come back for the Dockers over the next few weeks. Justin long View of the Coach says the veteran forward will come back through the waffle. Brandon Walker joined in drills this morning getting over a shoulder injury. Hayden Young, who's getting over a hamstring problem, has increased his running load seventeen degrees at the moment, eleven overnight showers and twenty one tomorrow. More news at one.
Speaker 1: Did you like the Beach Boys, John, I did? I did two? Yeah, that's very much. Yeah, they didn't they?
Speaker 18: And Brian Wilson was a genius, especially in the studio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, major, wasn't he. I'd love to hear from me. This is if you'd like us to play a Beach Boys song. Love to hear from you and any trivia you've got. I think Glenn Campbell used to play in the Beach Boys as a live, live touring musician.
Speaker 19: John Stamos John Stamos.
Speaker 1: I reckon the Beach Boys are the backing vocalist and Don't let the Sun Go down on Me by Elton John and if did anyone go and I didn't, But did anyone go to the Beach Boys concert in Perth where Brian was a bit under the weather? Does anyone remember that? It was quite famous at the time. I reckon, I reckon maybe maybe the eighties. I don't. I think maybe the concert hall. But I think Brian fell over and didn't always wasn't always facing the audience. Sometimes he was basing the ground. Yeah, he had his he had his moments.
Speaker 18: Yes he did. But I remember seeing him at the Sydney of My Music Bowl in Melbourne. I think it was in the two thousands and he was making a bit of a comeback then, yep.
Speaker 1: And he was brilliant. Yeah. Yeah, great songs. This is my favorite. The notion of a song. This is an old folk song, of a Harmian folks song. I think the notion of going on a boat trip with your granddad, getting into a fight, a pig on board the boat, eating everybody's food, having a fight with the coppers and the skipper of the boat. It's just a great concept. It is a cover. I think it's a Kingston Trio cover. But I love this song.
Speaker 4: We Come Johnde.
Speaker 47: Grandfather Brown.
Speaker 1: Got into a fight. How good were You're right about the studio sound, time to the backing vocals, que the four part harmonies. If you want us to play a Beach Boys song, I'm happy to do it. And if you've got any Beach Boys trivia please let us know. And did you go to the concert where Brian was a little bit under the weather here in Perth? The details are sketchy in my mind, but I'm pretty sure Brian had had some issues with gravity. You think the gravity got the better of him? One three eighty two.
Speaker 41: Let's do this, and now the third most talented musician in his family. Newsreader extraordinariy for veyor of condiments and small goods while watching the bath Verst one thousand, wearer of a beetle shirt every Friday, but named his pug after David Bowie, lover of Volkswagen golfs and peak spokesperson for the Madagascar radiated tortoise community. It's John Nichols presenting Nichols.
Speaker 1: Niche but a promotion. See John, you've gone from fourth best recision to third. I know that was the original one. That congratulations, Thank you, Thank you, very much. What do you have for us this week?
Speaker 18: Well, you know how South Korea has been educating and annoying North Koreans for years by having wapping great big loudspeakers placed on the border and firing off messages about how cool democracy is, and apparently adding a bit of K pop South Korean pop music just to annoy the North Koreans and just to remind them that hey, we're still here and you know, perhaps we can get together one day. They've announced the suspension of those propaganda loudspeaker broadcasts. It's come after the election of the new South Korean president. The president, Lee Lee Jane young, has campaigned on a platform of improving Into Korean relations and reducing friction, and the move is being welcomed by residents along the border because of course it all keeps them awake at night. But human rights organizations are criticizing the suspension of the broadcast, saying that North Koreans now won't get outside information about how wonderful things are on the outside. And they did actually stop those loudspeaker broadcasts for a while, but they started them again after North Korea started sending balloons full of rubbish over the board.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that. I knew about the loudspeakers. We didn't know about about the rubbish.
Speaker 18: And you may have read in your astronomy textbooks, Simon, that the Milky Way is going to collide with the Andromeda galaxy sometime in the next few billion years. You'll be pleased to know that astronomers have run one hundred thousand computer simulations using space telescope data from the Hubble and Guy telescopes, and they found that it's only fifty to fifty.
Speaker 1: It's only the chance of it happening at fifty to fifty. Yeah.
Speaker 18: Yeah, there's a roughly few fifty percent probability that the two galaxies will avoid such a collision during the next ten billion years. So I don't know whether that means we'll just pass through each other or whether we'll just completely miss each other.
Speaker 20: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know either.
Speaker 18: Ten billion years away, it'd be great to find out, Yeah, it would be. And have you heard of the laboo boo doll phenomenon, Simon, No, okay, I haven't neither, Or I really just get these little bits and pieces on your social media feed. You find out what the young people are into Laboo Boo dolls are very popular. They're just bizarre looking dolls. Sometimes they're sold in blind boxes, so you don't know what you're going to get, so you can swap them with your friends. And there's been a Laboo Boo themed auction in Beijing because they come from China, and a human size Laboo Boo doll it's just a stuffed toy, has been sold for two hundred and twenty five thousand dollars. Yeah, it's one hundred and thirty one centimeters tall. It's now officially the world's most expensive toy of its kind. Of its kind, they're very popular with Yeah, I don't know what that means, but very popular with celebrities. I don't know if you're familiar with Black Pink. No, I'm certainly not anyway, at least.
Speaker 1: No I am. I think. Yeah, they're a girl group, aren't they.
Speaker 18: Yes, there are girl groupy Lisa from Black Pink apparently has Laboo Boo dolls. David Beckham also soccer Chap and Rihanna Dua Lipa. You've heard of them, Yeah, they've all been spotted, and that sparked a global buying frenzy. And if you're on TikTok you'll know all about them. Yes, apparently they're viral there all.
Speaker 1: Right, there's a picture of one on our on our prompt there on our prompt screen.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 18: Well they go for about ten bucks normally. Yeah, and Ann has seen them online for five hundred, but you know, two hundred and twenty five thousand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's.
Speaker 18: I don't know if you're going to be able to sell it this time next year for what you paid for now.
Speaker 1: No, it's one of those things, those red hot trends, is that, John brilliant? Thank you very much, really enjoyed Nichols niche. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 18: And and minor update, Jason Starkey still not playing with.
Speaker 1: The who still not okay? Yeah's gone? Yeah, gone, okay? Thank you, Thank you, John, John Nicholas with a Nichols niche. Were you at the concert, the Beach Boys concert where Brian Wilson in particular was having a few problems with maintaining his center of center of gravity y day, Andrew, Andrew, Yeah, I was.
Speaker 20: At the concert.
Speaker 48: There was a series of There was at least two of them, because he returned on the night after we were there the night he actually fell into the drums and the concert. From memory, it was sort of a bit after halfway through at the old Entertainment Center. It was about fifteen or sixteen at the time, and he fell into the drums. It was all over the media that the next day of the papers, everything, and he came out the next concert.
Speaker 20: I wasn't there.
Speaker 48: This was reported and apparently did good vibrations, had tears in his eyes.
Speaker 20: This absolute perfection. So that's my memory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks mate. So what year do you reckon?
Speaker 48: It was late seventy summer. I reckon seventy seven, seventy eight, something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just off my memory at the moment. Yeah, yeah, no worries. It was all right or always good to chat to you, mate, Thank you for listening. Hello John, Good.
Speaker 6: Afternoon, Yeah, good afternoon, Simon. Yeah, I must have gone to the bad One because it was at the Entertainment Center. I thought it was nineteen seventy nine, and I was thought it was quite amazing how a band can play. Each member play a different song and a different key at the same time.
Speaker 16: It was absolutely it was it was I've seen.
Speaker 6: Some shoppers in my time, but that was that one took the cake. It was absolutely terrible.
Speaker 1: So it wasn't It wasn't just Brian. The rest of the band were a little out of sort of.
Speaker 6: Nah, it wasn't just him. It was the whole band because we were I was if a few mates of mine and we were trying to work out We're playing a little game trying to guess what song it was, you know, so it took us half the song to realize that song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what songs that That's amazing. I the only one I could ever remember that was a little sub sub showroom John's I saw the clash and they struggled with their sound and you did the same thing. You didn't know what they were doing or yeah it was Yeah it does. It happens rarely, doesn't it with these big, big bands.
Speaker 6: Yeah, concert as well, And I was a bit disappointed as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, thanks John, we were probably at that. I've been a lot of conscious where you've been to. By the sounds of things, John, we've been in the same room. Rob from North Beach today, Rob Brian Wilson in the infamous Perth Beach Boys concert all the years ago. I went to it. Simon the memories are vague, but my recollection he just sat in the chair, unemotionally going through the motions of playing guitar. Always revealed the following day or so when his situation became public, says Rob. Thank you, Rob, And if you have a song was the you like us play to remember Brian Wilson. Today we can. Arthur from Beaconsfield called in. He says the Dramma was the worst in the terms of drunkenness and alcohol effectiveness. Thanks Arthur, appreciate that. So it sounds like all the all the boys, the Wilsons and Al Jardine. You know I wasn't there, so I can't say that. Our listeners are saying, perhaps the band will just add a very big off night, Thanks for listening. In is quarter to one on per six pr. The stock market reports Oey Claire joins us from a shit short mopologies on shortened partners and our topic today, Oe is the oil prices up?
Speaker 20: Yeah, that's right, Simon.
Speaker 36: The price of barrel of oil went up by over four percent last night. Iran has threatened to attack US spaces in the Middle East because President Trump has been intimating that he may decide to shut down Iran's nuclear program and the threat of attacks has been taken pretty seriously because the US has already ordered the partial evacuation of staff at their embassy in Iraq. So as tensions in the Middle East escalate, so to do. Share prices in energy companies here. Woodside are up two percent or forty five cents. They're at twenty three dollars ninety seven, and Santos have improved by seven cents. They're up to six dollars seventy seven. And normally when energy prices are up, that's bad news for airlines and they're big fuel bills, but it's not hurting Quanta shares today. The market clearly approves of their decision to close Jetstar Asia next month. Quantus shares have rallied thirty cents and have traded as high as eleven dollars and two today. The share price of the online retailer Setire has taken a very big hit today. They sell luxury designer brands, and their profit updates of the financial year so far up until the end of May was way below what the share market was expecting, and the Setire share price has tumbled thirty percent. It's down to just thirty three cents, which is an amazing fall from grace because last year, when they were a real market darling, the share price got as high as four dollars ninety and the Monash IVS clinics are back in the news again today following their well publicized errors with two of their embryo implants. The chief executive of Monash, Michael Napp, has now resigned and that's effective immediately. Their chief financial officer will take over as CEO. For now, Monash IVF shares are up by five cents. They're at sixty five and a half and the hearing aid company Cochlear have launched the first ever smart Cochlear implant, called Nucleus NEXA. It's the smallest and lightest on the market, and like smart phones, the implant software can be updated wirelessly. Cochlear will be hoping the new device can turn around the slightly lower than expected sales numbers that they also announced today. Their shares are down by two dollars fifteen at two hundred and sixty eight dollars thirty, but the broader market.
Speaker 20: Is up again.
Speaker 36: The AWRDS has added another ten points and is now at eight eight hundred and thirty one Simon.
Speaker 1: A three three one. Thanks Alle Oree watched the cochlear implant.
Speaker 36: Called again Nexus Nucleus NEXA.
Speaker 1: Nucleus nexer all right one to watch for sure. Thank you. Owen chat tomorrow. Have a good day mate. Thank you. Jeers Bowie o Enclair from Shore End Partners. Thanks for listening. It is thirteen thirteen, twelve and a half minutes to one o'clock. Yeah, thanks for listening. You've just heard the queue to call for our origin tickets. Simply the best. Sue from Colvidale joints us today. Sue.
Speaker 31: Good afternoon, Bowie.
Speaker 1: How are you doing very well? Sue. Sue. Can you please tell me what our code word is today?
Speaker 34: It is kick?
Speaker 1: Yes what I'm Thank you very much, Sue, excellent work. You have one yourself a couple of tickets to get along to the NRL State of Origin Game two, so you should be a riper. It's a live series still, it's great. The Perth has got Game two double Pass coming your way. So it's Wednesday during the eighth next week. If people still want to go, you can win them here on the program, but head to NRL dot com to secure your seats. Who are you going with, Sue? Probably my husband, probably.
Speaker 21: Yeah, probably my husband.
Speaker 8: I haven't told hi yet because that work all right?
Speaker 1: What's his name?
Speaker 17: Mark?
Speaker 1: Good on you Mark? Enjoy should be a really it should be a great night, Sue. And yeah, I reckon you really enjoy it? And yeah, go go Queensland. I reckon, let's try to even the series up. Thank you very much for listening in today and good luck to you.
Speaker 36: Thank you, Bowie.
Speaker 25: You have a good afternoon.
Speaker 1: Yeah you too, Sue soon from Clovid our how good a double parts of the state of Origin? Ampole state of Origin? Nothing like it? Here to NRL dot com to secure your seats today and for your chance to win tickets. Stay listening to six PR all of this week. Oliver Peterson joins us nice and early today today, Elie, Hello Bowie. You want Queensland to win?
Speaker 21: Yes?
Speaker 49: Because like you, I'd like it to be a one all series.
Speaker 17: Yes.
Speaker 1: If for our listeners who maybe think about going along or watching on the night or listening to it on six PR, I'll see what you think. But I reckon if you're looking for a playing, if you're not too sure what's happening in our role watching the Litroal Mitchell good call, one of the one of the most exciting episode up and down players in the whole competition. You can win a game off his own boot with his little players. He's stroppy, yep, he's belligerent, but he's someone else, isn't he.
Speaker 42: It's a really good call.
Speaker 49: And if you're looking for Queenslander to follow Cameron Munster, he's also the new captain of the Maroons and he's a gun same kind Melbourne Storm player, correct, and he can pop.
Speaker 1: Up anywhere and you just go where did that come from?
Speaker 49: So I hope we get a nice high scoring sort of thirty point to twenty eight victory to the Maroons. And people said that I've become a bit of a as a new self wilshman. How could I possibly want Queensland to win. It's just for the betterman of the game. Yeah, yeah, I want New South like the heart wants New South of Asta win. The head wants Queensland to win.
Speaker 1: Heart in the head well you okay, a couple of cords, go for it. Bowie, stay there mate, we'll find out what's on between one and five today. Do you have any Beach Boys memories or trivia folks.
Speaker 44: Chantell, Hello, hey Bowie, how's it going good?
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 37: So this is a song that I used to love when I was a kid.
Speaker 24: I also ud Dad's quite a bit.
Speaker 20: That's Kimonerie.
Speaker 24: That's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good. Thanks Chantel and Lance agrees. Thanks Chantel. Lance A greeves with you. You said my beach Boys trivin information, but get you Everyone excited about going to this fantastic place for a holiday only to find out it's not a real place. Every single place they mentioning Cocomo is real apart from Cocomo. Thank you, Lance, thank you. Chantelle's the movie, Bolly, what's the movie? Tell me about bar staff bartenders? Blank blank? Yeah, I can't remember someone I know? What's on the show today?
Speaker 43: Mate?
Speaker 49: So today we're going to have a chat about why basketball is becoming the most popular sport in Australia. And I think you know that if you've got a son or a daughter who's trying to get on a court, it's not of courts around.
Speaker 1: Trevor Long, of course, the world's greatest technology.
Speaker 49: Expert and Jorda's former friend from the United States of America, and why we shall he would in the Project Dex this week. So why is it the TV panel shows are facing extinction? Yet there's probably never been more sports panel shows, even on the freeware networks. So I want to look at today Jamie Burnett with the Swan draft pub of the week. Are we going to face those fifty percent increase in power bills?
Speaker 1: What's your beef?
Speaker 49: We'll have a chat about Ucus and five hundred bucks in.
Speaker 1: The duel for fuel Jackpot. I saw a couple of weeks ago, and then he's doubled down today. I think Elon Musk is bringing out a new phone. Is he part phone?
Speaker 49: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Tesla one?
Speaker 30: Is he?
Speaker 34: You know?
Speaker 1: I'm not by that suggests that Donald Trump might pick up his cause I think he's backing down a bit, there isn't it? I saw that.
Speaker 19: Yeah, maybe you went a little too hard.
Speaker 1: Yes, No, do have poly's deserve a pay rise? Oliver?
Speaker 49: The yes is are thirty three and the nose of ninety eight. And I might be unpopular saying this. I don't think that they're paid anywhere near enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, thank you mate. Wonder five today and just a reminder, the outside broadcast for weekends. He's on this Saturday, so be part of it all the way from six o'clock. JB. Jacko's there, or make sure you're listening, or try to get down to the outside broadcast for Partwood Plumbing and JB is really looking forward to it, and so Carl and Bori and Adam Papoalia are going to be there as well. Hello, Patricia.
Speaker 45: Oh hi, look very quickly many years ago when the Beach Boys were absolute the popular, Yeah, I had and so were dinner party yesh. I had a dinner party with about twenty people, and right through the dinner party, I played the Beach Boys and they loved it and they ate their dinner.
Speaker 1: Thanks Patricia, thank you very much. Good on you, Russell says virus I mess. The Beach Boys concert at the Perth Entertainment Center was on the fourteenth and fifteenth of March nineteen seventy eight. Thank you, Russ. And it was Carl Wilson who fell off the stage during the first concert. Yeah, always so some conflicting reports I was who Brian fell into the drums. Carl did, But certainly how the people saying Brian are sitting in a chair The second night concert was unbelievable, says Russell. Thank you Russell. Get a Clark.
Speaker 22: Our first on my Labooby Doll turned up yesterday fusty fifty bucks. Yeah, and and help me help me run visit my favorite Beach Boys song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great choice mate, Thank you Clark, Thank you Jimmy. We'll come back in a sec to our poly deserver pay rise. Yes is are thirty three? The nose a ninety eight? Can we tick over one hundred for the nose before we pull up stumps today? Thanks for listening. Yeah. The six broadcast the ob from the JCO Caravan Landmobile Studios at Park With Plumbing Center in Canning Vale from six this weekend with on Saturday Morning with JB. No pay rise for Polly's no, no, says John. Definitely no choices, no, Maurice's no. So we've ticked over one hundred well and truly now do our poll deserver payride So yes is a thirty three and a nose are about one hundred and five? Thanks everyone, thanks for being part of it today. Call of the Day today is George. You spoke to us about the homing pigeons. Thanks George, you won a double past of Blind in the Wind on Friday, the twentieth of June at the Regal Theater thanks to Maalo Promotions. Get your tickets through ticket Tech. Thanks George, Thanks everyone. Back tomorrow at nine